Speaker 1: On on.
Speaker 2: Welcome to CCO apreciow for episode four forty What do we say? Nine nine sir?
Speaker 1: Holy shit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, take two because producer Gary had the microphone switched up.
Speaker 1: That was that was gonna be a good one too. That was gonna be our best pre show ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We're we're wherever we are today, somewhere in Bloomboro. I imagine I'm really I'm getting a sunburn because I moved a light to make the lighting look good. And it's just it's skin cancer constantly on my end. I hope that you're having fun.
Speaker 1: It's also making you sweat, which is making you smell a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hey, I'm kind of self conscious about that, Okay, just kidding. The Magic Flare self conscious about sweaty arn't bits, sweaty butt cracks, sunburned skin cancer, boils or other skin imperfections.
Speaker 1: And you know what they have in Bloombergo guys playing Turtles three on Nintendo and they're fighting Toka over there right now on the roof with the big kN on foot sign.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Okay, we're gonna we're gonna talk about frogs and turtles today. We're continuing the Bloomborough coverage. We're brought to you by the wonderful patrons over at patreon dot com slash CEO Podcast, whether they like it or not better because I'm getting a sunburn.
Speaker 1: You know what I don't like? Okay, what I'm gonna tell you something I don't like as of recording today.
Speaker 2: Just wait a second, Uncle Brando doesn't like something.
Speaker 1: But hey, it's been a while. I feel like I've been very good. So you you owe me this one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So we've talked a little bit recently about the new secret Layers that have all been coming out yep, yep, and this one, I feel this one hit home a little closer for me and and vastly for you because people that you and I both know have come to Brando saying, man, I wanted to buy the secret It's just been on sale today.
Speaker 2: Okay, which one is it? Is it a summer super drop? Is it the Bloomborough one? Which one specifically up.
Speaker 1: And Down the l Vader, Brain Dead, Monty Python Fall, Bloomborough Secret Layer, whatever the hell it's called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know which one you're talking about.
Speaker 1: They got like, is it the.
Speaker 2: One with like the tattooed arms, and the weird monster ones that look like a cartoon and the Monty Python ones.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and everybody wants the Monty Python ones. That's the one that everybody wants. Yes, and they sold out in an hour. Oh is that a record? Does that make it the most popular secret layer of all time? No? Oh no, it's just because they went from like print to demand to like this is how many were gonna print? Oh yeah, and it just it's and I feel kind of bad because I went to just look at them, and everybody's Oh I had waited line for forty five minutes, they were sold out. I waited in line for zero minutes. And I could have bought them because they weren't sold out, but I didn't know anybody wasn't going to get in. Oh so I just didn't get made sure, there's nothing I wanted. Didn't buy them. But you know, so many people are kind of hurting about it, and I feel like all around the move to make them not print to demand such a mistake, and specifically when they bring in an outside ip, because I feel like you could get like a I assume what they've done and I'm not a financial guy.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna talk some MTG finance here in a minute, and as soon as you do your piece.
Speaker 1: I feel like they went to the not Princess Bride, it's the Monty Python guys and said, hey, we want to print you on some cards. It's gonna cost you this much money. And then they gave them that much money, and then WATSI went out and made a bunch of money.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I feel like probably doesn't work quite like that, but yeah, there's there's an agreement, and now they're on magic cards.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's an enticement where you could go to a group like Monty Python or Capcom for Mega Man or whatever and say, look, we want to make a secret layer with you, and we'll give you this percentage of each unit we sell, and thus making them print demand would be better. So everybody gets what they want. Yeah, so the player base wins. Watsea makes way more money, so they win, and the company that they're partnered with makes way more money and as such they win. And so it's so strange that they're not doing it that way because people are so unhappy yeah with this, you know, here's here's it sucks that there's something that people love so much and they can't get it, and that sucks.
Speaker 2: Here's some more complexities to add to this soup of Secret Layer. Okay, you have to take into account things like price breaks over a certain amount, and whether or not you're going to get those price breaks, and how deep into a price break you're gonna get, which affects the average cost per card.
Speaker 1: So we're assuming that Watsie does not own the means of production in this case or have a very sweetheart deal with said means of production.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, yes, we are assuming that because to my knowledge, I have never heard that wat he does own any facilities that do create magic cards.
Speaker 1: This is a Hasbro Disney situation.
Speaker 2: It could be where yes.
Speaker 1: Hasbro kind of puts it all the toys, but like Disney, they're not a subsidiary of Disney yet. Yes, yeah, one will eventually buy the other, but it has not happened yet.
Speaker 2: Let's just continue to with down the road of complexities that we face as a consumer of this game and Secret Layer. Okay, so if they make it print to demand the I'm gonna say the average cost of cards in that Secret Layer isn't as high because anybody can get them, okay, and if anybody can get them, maybe the large retailers or mega buyers of secret layers don't buy as many because they don't think that that price is gonna hold and there's no resale value or collectibility, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So well, we've seen that that's not true with past secret layers.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. I wonder if you did a full like financial breakdown of the price or the sale model of each secret layer and how it was sold versus like value down the road in a year or two or three, and kind of looked at how printed demand versus hard hard print number or hard print run, how they hold their value over time, and compare that with like how many units sold. Now. The tricky part about doing it that way, and this is why it gets even more complex, is secret layers from five years ago didn't sell whether there were hard print number or printed demand. They didn't sell as many as they do now because magic has exploded since then. So you'd have to like look at those numbers as a percentage of like, yeah, there's few layer base that did buy secret layers versus didn't.
Speaker 1: So when you look at the jacked up values of some of the layers, and the one that I always use for the example is the one that they've literally reprinted all five cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just did that one right with the sol ring and the boots and the things.
Speaker 1: And they did that one. The one before, I argue aesthetically is more pleasing and better. I do like that one, but all the cards in it are very sought after and thus are valuable now. And I'd imagine that this elevator one with all the tattoo arts you're talking about, that's the one will be the same way, right, So I just assume that, like these things will accrue value if people want them. And this one, the cards selection in the Monty Python secret Or, I would argue it is not very good.
Speaker 2: But everybody just wants tim and Dismember like that's what they want.
Speaker 1: It's Monty Python. It's what people have gotten. People like you every Thursday on our Facebook page to alter those pictures onto cards forever.
Speaker 2: Hey you know what here they are now? Right, I'll actually tell you a story. Yesterday I was going through another revision of the alter book that I'm releasing on August twelfth. Hit up commandercuocoad dot com to find it, and I found the Night that Gets Dismembered.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I painted that onto a magic card and use that as a reference image for the section where I'm talking about like the cultural impact of custom fan art on gaming. Eyepsre you go, because now we have that exact same character. And oh man, I was racking my brain and searching all my thumb drives in my everywhere on my computer and the internet to try and see did I ever print a dismember with the Black Knight on it? Because I feel like I have done that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure if you haven't done one, which I i, I've definitely seen them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done an old sworn Night from original l Drain with no arms and no legs. And now there's a black Knight dismember like with the same character. And I thought it was just a weird coincidence, and I did a revision to the book to include that. There you go, And yeah, it's one of those things.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's it makes me upsets me, but like it sucks.
Speaker 2: You could be a mad nerd on the Internet. I'll allow it.
Speaker 1: I'm upset for all the people that wanted this so bad and they can't get it, and they can't get it for some arbitrary reason. And the reason is somebody somewhere along the line used some kind of abacus or whatever they used to do math these days, to say, you know.
Speaker 2: What, we just do need to make all that money. You know, when it's so weird, it might be it might be how the contract with that outside ip is structured as well. I know that there's a lot of subtleties with Middle Earth enterprises and how much they could print Lord of the Rings in.
Speaker 1: That way you can't find it anymore. And do you think that do you think Monty Python would be the same thing? You think that other like I'll bet you Marvel right now is feverishly trying to rewrite contracts and no print as much as you fucking want. We're gonna keep selling it excitement, which is code for money.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, Oh wait, hit that out cuts out of the bank.
Speaker 1: And so it's just the thing. I didn't mean to turn the whole secret layer into the whole secret layer, the whole Appreciator discussion secret layer. It's just damn it, Like it's just it's such a piss off because so many of our friends wanted them and they just got left out in the cold. And so many tertiary humans that I know.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, I got I got a couple solutions, good couple, and he's still going, folks, he ain't done.
Speaker 1: Fuck scalpers man.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's a good way.
Speaker 1: That if you bought these dahos people on eBay, you suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know what I love about Fusion Gaming Online dot Com tell me is you can get sealed or cracked secret layers from them and they don't even gouge. It's just like like if I wanted the Dismember, maybe it's like a dollar more than the regular dismember, right, But if I want that one, then I just go to Fusion and get that and save money with the CEO promo col I have.
Speaker 1: I can confirm I have actually bought a few secret layers that I didn't just buy out right, Yeah, I thought about it and got him from Yeah, it's the exact same number of dolls. Do Actually, because we're living Canada, costs a little bit less of our confusion because you don't have to pay all the important shipping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let the business daddy's pay the important shipping fees and just reap the benefits. Second thing, this is the second solution to things like outside Ip Secret Layers, is you just hit up your good friend Ryan and get me to paint the character on the card for you. I don't paint all kinds of characters, so that don't ask me for really, like any anime.
Speaker 1: Stuff, doesn't do wee stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mostly I just paint pictures of people's dogs and cats.
Speaker 1: He did two for me though, which I still play.
Speaker 2: And I what did I do recently? I did one? Oh, I did a weird Al Yankovic out of all things in the world.
Speaker 1: What a strange, strange.
Speaker 2: Weird Al Yankovic on a Keeper of the accord.
Speaker 1: In yep, and that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 2: And a blood spore thrine axe but it's blood Sport thrine ax with Jovendam. I haven't done that one yet though. I haven't decided what reference image I'm going to use, like the powder in his eyes and his nose is bleeding, or the one with the bull cover of blood Sport.
Speaker 1: Hell no, the one where he like, what's the oh.
Speaker 2: When he does the splits and punches the guy in the nuts?
Speaker 1: What's the guy?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: It's the one where he gives the guy like the final rib shot and he's bleeding from both nostrils and it's going like into his teeth and shit, and he's got like the full van Dam going on full flat. You can't tell if he just punched someone where he shit himself.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna sport is the best Vandam.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna throw this out there. I love it. I'm gonna throw two things out there. Jean Claude van Dam s tier eighties nineties actor. I think I like Van Dam like more than Stallone, more than Schwarzenegger. I think I like Van Dam more than Steven Seagal. I think Van Dam is like number one eighties nineties. And I'm gonna throw this out there, and this is gonna get people right tilted sideways more than Secret Layer MTG finance talk. Oh shit, I am gonna say that Street Fighters John claud Vandorm's best movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, who Yeah, you'd liked him? Yeah, I did more than blood Spot. I didn't like it more than blood Boards, but I would argue that it was a better movie, Okay, like a better maid. It had like a bigger budget, it had better, like.
Speaker 2: Most of the budget went to Jean Claude Van Damn's.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah habit, Oh yeah, definitely, yeah, yeah yeah. He had a severe like dandruff problem. Oh yeah, he's allergic to dandruff and it's just everywhere. Yes, but but yeah, but I feel like yeah, and also Kylie Minoga was in that movie and she's just my favorite character.
Speaker 2: And that was pretty Wasn't that Raoul Julia's last movie ever?
Speaker 1: Sure was? He died like right finishing and it do you.
Speaker 2: Remember his monologue when he's showing them the city?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: And when I when I when little kid Ryan made the connection that Raoul Julia General m Bisen was Gomez Frickin' Adams. When I made that connection, and there's people in the nation that are watching that's sort of like.
Speaker 1: Wait, what, They're the same person, the same guy.
Speaker 2: When when Gomez Adams was shouting at the fricking police officer and in in Adams family and he's like hook them, book them, cook him or whatever he said, right, and I'm like, that's the same guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh man, what a pre show? What a preciow are you warmed up? This is the last thing? Is we don't have a winner because we're recording this before the next pre show actually came out. Yeah, so we're gonna we don't have a winner from last week.
Speaker 1: So we got two winners on the next show. We had a you've got a sporting event. I've got a little bit of a getaway going. We're gonna go see some I'm gonna try to go to Fort Edmonton.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, well, hey, we got to give some hints of tomorrow's commander. We've got a bug flying around us. Okay, so that's a hint Bloomborough Commander because it's.
Speaker 1: The it's flying around us. No wait, no, hang on, that's a bad hint.
Speaker 2: No it isn't.
Speaker 1: No, it's it is because that that'll throw people off if they watched last week's show, it's they obviously did like this just because it flies. It doesn't mean it's the flying one, that's.
Speaker 2: All, but it is or does.
Speaker 1: Yes, think hat, think utility thing. Oh yeah, watched last week's show and you'll know what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Think Disney's Robin Hood. Oh yeah, that's the hint coming.
Speaker 1: People will get that.
Speaker 2: That's the hint.
Speaker 1: Or gummy bears.
Speaker 2: Also, I don't get that. Hint is the hat. I also, I still don't get it.
Speaker 1: You never watched Gummy Bears news a kid.
Speaker 2: He hasn't.
Speaker 1: Either they're bouncing here and there or everywhere. He doesn't know. No, that's fine.
Speaker 2: I feel like that was your time, not my time.
Speaker 1: Just trust me on this one. It's a good hint.
Speaker 2: Trust Uncle Brandaway.
Speaker 1: On cartoon references. Oh yeah, you can trust me on cartoon references for sure.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to steer you wrong there unless it's on purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not gonna smear me wrong unless it's on purpose. Yeah. Okay. So four forty nine, we've got this deck. It's actually it's gonna be a deck that we're told is going to be at the Sans Ryan and Brando CEO experience in Las Vegas. So if you're going to Vegas, you can play against this very deck. And I like the construction. I'm worried that we're going to find it doesn't have the top end power, but you never know.
Speaker 1: Ye, the person who built this deck, and we can't say it cons hint.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Actually, I've seen some decks that he's put together that have that lack of top end that kind of use value to replace top end, and he can get there sometimes.
Speaker 2: Man, you can get their hashtag MTG value. Yeah yeah, Okay, Well, four forty nine year Brando, you're here with Ryan hit our theme song, Berber Barbert