Speaker 1: Welcome to Spacing Out with BB and Jason this week covering Foundation Season two, Episode two, A Glimpse of Darkness.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Spacing Out.
Speaker 3: I'm BB and I'm Jason, and we are discussing Foundation one episode at a time, spoiler free and Foundation is currently available to stream on Apple TV.
Speaker 2: If you got it like that, watch it. There's other shows on Apple TV that I highly encourage you to watch, like Severance that's really good, yes, especially if you work in.
Speaker 3: A cubicle and you want to relive that in the evenings as well. This is our first time watching this series, so we're not watching a head or anything, so there's no spoilers, no spoiler section in our podcast reallyway.
Speaker 2: This episode is being released in two different podcasts, so if you are listening with us spacing Out with Foundation, I invite you to check out the main channel, Spacing Out with BB and Jason, where we have covered other shows and movies such as Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek Our Flag means Death am Alien, Yes.
Speaker 3: Indeed, But today we are talking about Foundation Season two, Episode two, A Glimpse of Darkness. This originally aired on July twenty first, twenty twenty three, written by David S. Goyer and Jane Espinson and directed by David S. Goyer. In this episode, Harry informs Salvor and Gale that establishing a second foundation is crucial for the survival of the first and for his plan to work, but that was interrupted when Gale fled the ship while en route to Helicon. Then, with Harry's help, they managed to jumpstart the Beggar and leave Sinax just in time before huge storm waves hit them. Over dinner, Queen Sarah discusses with Empire the particulars of their impending union while tactfully developed, delving into the assassination attempt on planets. Swenna poly Veresov, high cleric of the Foundation, and his junior novice cleric brother Constant, while spreading the Foundation's mission, learn that Selden's vault has reopened. Nicely jump back to Terminus to attend what will ensue. The warden approaches Selden's fault and gets incinerated before the name hober Mallow appears written on the vault, and then Gail appears one hundred and fifty years into the future and is attacked by a telepath called the Mule who is the source of the impending darkness, just before she sees Selver dead beside her. After the encounter, Gail procurs from her future self the location of the second foundation on the planet Ignes.
Speaker 1: Five. Check. Did we like the episode overall?
Speaker 3: We are trying really hard to like this show, and did this episode move the needle for you.
Speaker 2: A little bit? It was better than the last episode, for sure, But they introduce new characters without establishing them at all, and that's confusing. Yeah, I'm frustrating. And how am I supposed to care about their futures? I guess the little the guy is that drunk guy needs to be the little brown boy the last episode, right, so he's like an old man now with problems.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get the respect that he wants. Yeah, yeah, I agree. It's it's better than the last episode. I think the last time we were spinning out because they just jumped forward in time and said like this is the new normal, and we're like, wait, how did we get here? What's going on? And now we're there's some of that with because we're bringing in new characters and we're touching base with the foundation, which we didn't do last time. But we are actually like moving forward with the storylines without rushing ahead. Yeah, so yeah, I think it was a step up, and I think it started really strong for me, like that whole action sequence on the ship and stuff.
Speaker 2: Where she was outside. I swear Gail doesn't do shit and her daughter like carries them speriously. Gail is such a passive bottom.
Speaker 3: No, she can hold her breath. Yeah, I think it started strong. It got boring at times. There's like a boardroom scene and stuff like. Yeah, but yeah, I think it's definitely an improvement. So I liked it overall, but still a little little down on it.
Speaker 1: Trivia time, What facts or news could we uncover for a glimpse of darkness? All right?
Speaker 3: So, speaking of new characters, there are several minor characters from the books that are introduced in this episode. In the Foundation Government, there's directors Sairmac, Councilor Sutt and Brigadier Manilow. I don't remember who was who in the episode because they didn't spend a lot of time explaining these people, but they're all book characters and the directors Smyrnacks director Sahirmac. In the books, he was a political opponent of Salver Harden. I don't think that storyline's happening since they're not in the same place, and those characters in the books also were separated by a lot of years, so they've evidenced that they've kind of condensed a lot of the timelines and are combining things to give us some more streamlined story instead of jumping forward all the time. They also mentioned the name bel Rios and hober Mallow, and those are also book characters. And then the Mule is a little bit of a minor spoiler from the books. I don't think it's that big a deal, though, there's if you care about that, skip ahead like twenty seconds. The Mule is the villain of the books. I would say it takes a while for him to come on the scene, but then it really becomes like the foundation versus a mule because he was someone with the they call it telepathic abilities in this I think he had more like emotional manipulation powers. Oh, and that was unforeseen by Harry Seldyn and like it really throws the whole plan off course.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: So a little information on our writing and directing crew here. Writer Dane Espenson is well known in science fiction. She was involved in a lot of Joss Whedon product projects, including Buffy, which she wrote twenty three episodes of Damn Girl was executive story editor starting with season three. She also worked on Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse and The Nevers Road, number episodes of Battlestar Galactica and Kaprica, one episode of Deep Space nine, which we've been watching. I was also highly involved in the show Once Upon a Time, and she also resolved in gil Mar Girls, Ellen and Jessica Jones, Torchwood and her resume goes on Out and.
Speaker 2: A Woman Aft for my Own Heart. Yes, I love all those shows. I haven't gotten into Torchwood. It's a spin off of Doctor Who. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So when I saw her name show up in this season, I was kind of excited because she is like a fixture of science fiction television and fantasy television over the last like twenty five years or something thirty years. Directed director David Skoyer also the creator. He did a lot of superhero stuff, the Dark Knight trilogy, the Blade Trilogy, Terminator Dark Fate, which I think is an underrated Terminator movie, the Constantine TV series, and the Sandman series.
Speaker 1: Deep Space Dive let's break down some of our thoughts on the episode. You can share your thoughts with us through email or social media. We may use your comments on an upcoming episode.
Speaker 2: How about that young lady that's patrol to the Empire.
Speaker 3: I like her attitude. I do too.
Speaker 2: I like that she seems more interested in dawn than day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and seems closer and age them too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so maybe I don't know, maybe a love triangle is developing here, and I love a love triangle.
Speaker 3: And they're like, hey, we're all the same man, so it's not cheating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ew. And then she's like, I want to see your She she like manipulated the shit out of him. She's like, well, I thought that, you know, that assassination tempt was interesting And he's like.
Speaker 3: How do you know about that?
Speaker 2: And she's like I didn't, but you confirmed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. She is in total control of like their whole interaction.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love it. I love when the woman is in charge. And it made the robot lady so uneasy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I still feel like she is tarboring feelings for.
Speaker 2: Him, yeah, stepmom feelings.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you probably don't want to hear that in your throat in your canal.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so.
Speaker 2: She's great and her her eyeshadow like in the middle of her face so interesting, very future, very of the moment.
Speaker 3: I love it. Yeah, she has all the power in this arrangement because he is basically like courting her to get her to agree to this arrangement, and you can feel every moment, like in any normal circumstance, like she would be pushing too far, but he kind of has to go along with her, like, yeah, I'll show you all the clones, I'll show you this, so I will bend at your tell you this information. And yeah, so it's is just really interesting to see the empire kind of have to foul. Yeah. Yeah, Basically she's really concerned about that assassination attempt though, like she doesn't let that go.
Speaker 2: Well, I think she doesn't want him to forget that his life is over regardless, Like I don't. I think she was probably like a supporter of it, even like if he would have been assassinated, then she would definitely be betrothed to brother Dawn. But she's like, well, you would just be replaced. How would I know? Right, you wouldn't even know, And that's crazy that you wouldn't even know that you were a victim of murder. You're just some clone? What a life? What did you think about the people in the red robes?
Speaker 3: I wasn't expecting such like a missionary spreading the good news. Have you heard that good? Yeah? I mean they haven't given us enough time with the foundation and what's going on with them now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no investment into their plight whatever it may be. We still don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So yeah, I don't know what to make of their old thing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like they're supposed to evoke some sort of like you're supposed to feel like they're doing good work or something because they're being persecuted by the locals and called heretics and all this. But I don't feel anything for them because I don't know that. But I am really interested in that shot she gave that guy that sobered him up in like ten seconds? What is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So we do learn. So they're going around basically to recruit other planets in the surrounding area that the Empire is pulled away from, and they're stepping in and they have superior technology to offer them, but they're going about it as like this is like magic, this is of faith and spirits and stuff.
Speaker 1: M m.
Speaker 3: And we kind of get a sense that what they call that guy, the director Cermak, is thinking more of a military and economic sense about bringing all these planets in. Yeah, he wants to establish outpost and get resources and things like that. There's an interesting line I think from Harry Seldon over in the other storyline that like the foundation without like with power unchecked, basically becomes the empire again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean there is some interesting aspects going on to that, I do think, but some of it was just delivered in such a boring way, like that meeting room was not an interesting way to establish all this.
Speaker 2: No, and like they said, it's starting to look like Tarmac or whatever. I don't know what the name of that one.
Speaker 3: Trantor Yeah, yeah, there's a lot of names to keep track of.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I feel like that guy he wanted a bigger role, and I think he got off really easy. Yeah, because that other motherfucker was burned to ash. So I don't know. No, Harry seldom for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know why he couldn't come out and just say.
Speaker 2: That because he had to emphasize his point.
Speaker 3: I do think it would be helpful if in some way they just helped this like visualize the galaxy and like wherever around them like a map.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like every other fucking science fiction fantasy show gives you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some sort of establishing thing to like here's where the foundation is, and here's kind of their alliance is now, and here's where these other places that they're talking about, because it's it's not always clear, and it's when they're trying to tell you that, like, you know, the Foundation has grown a lot, but they're just they're telling, not showing.
Speaker 2: Show show not tell. It's called a television show.
Speaker 3: Give me a quick power point somewhere in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could have been cool if they if they had like a strategic plan at the table, showing like, Okay, these are the colonies that we have invested, and here are the ones that are still on the fence. This is the one you just came from. How did it go? Did anything else happen in the show? I feel like not a lot happened.
Speaker 3: As I mentioned earlier, there was that action scene at the beginning that I thought was really well done and was the most exciting part of the episode was a little downhill from there.
Speaker 2: It isn't that weird that you start with like your climax.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I liked that scene. I like, I mean, the action was good. I was wondering, like, so Salvor goes out on top of the ship to like bang on that vent or whatever.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: She couldn't have brought like a hammer or something to.
Speaker 2: Like she had her knife and then she lost it.
Speaker 3: Well, she was just like punching a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, she lost her knife. So she had a punch. It showed that she's tough, and you know, she thinks on her heat. What would a gale done. She would have held her breath. Oh she would have yeah, counted exponents or whatever she does.
Speaker 3: And I feel like we got more emotion out of them than we did last episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. When they hugged, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That was really good. One hug was like more than we got all last episode when they were learning that they're related and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I did enjoy their hug.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So they genuinely care for each other and that's nice to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's sad that she had to see her dead. Yeah, so that's scary. But I don't think like anything set in stone in terms of the future, so that's kind of nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just they don't know if they're changing things or if they're playing into it, and it's kind of this mind game that they're in.
Speaker 2: Now. I love the Mule. It was that very brief moment I saw of him, him with his blazing blue eyes looking into her soul and saying, what's this a younger Gale looking at me from the past. Ah, that's so iconic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited, like not. I wasn't expecting to see the Mule at disappoint the storyline, yeah, because yeah, so they found an interesting way to thread that in.
Speaker 2: Like jumping into the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so it sounds like Gail and Salvor and that version of Fairy Selman. I guess they're going to be establishing the second Foundation, yeah joy. Oh, yes, and they'll have to change the show to Foundations.
Speaker 2: Maybe foundation is just like the name of their cult, and it's very much a cult.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that.
Speaker 3: I don't like that they steered hard into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they really did. And honestly, I bet Harry would love it. I bet he'd be really into that. Whole statue of him and them waiting for him, and the pump and circumstance and all that. I think he'd be really into that. Even though he's supposed to be a man of science and maths and all that. He was like a I don't know that. The last season, I can think of him framing Gail to bring come into the fold with him, and him like presenting his ideas in the court of the Empire. All this like very dramatic, very showbody kind of personality. But it was interesting to see him so humble in that version of himself where he's meeting Gail and them. He seemed less sure of himself because he was trapped for like one hundred years oh by himself. He's like, you didn't think what would happen to me?
Speaker 3: And she's like, my bad, oops, I thought I turned you off.
Speaker 2: You weren't in sleep mode. My bad.
Speaker 3: I think we touched on everything, Yeah.
Speaker 2: As much as I want to, because I really I'm still waiting for the show to start, Like it feels like it's preheating right now. I'm ready to cook some buns in the oven or something.
Speaker 3: Come on, guys, you ready for the mule?
Speaker 2: Will I want something to happen because the Empire is not a good bad guy.
Speaker 3: No, I mean right now, like the Empire is not even really opposing the foundation. Then we're gonna wait, foundations still exists. I gotta focus on this other stuff.
Speaker 2: Let me put that on the back burner.
Speaker 3: I've got my hopefully future wife, I've got my stepmom situation. I got my brother's raising down my neck. Like there's a lot going on at home.
Speaker 2: We're gonna circle back, We're gonna put a pin in it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Interesting he doesn't. He reveals a lot to the queen, but not that. Uh Demerzal is the robot. Yeah, she's got her own arrangements. So man, it's interesting that keeps that closer to the chest than hisses. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Astral Queen, who was the stand out character in the episode.
Speaker 3: Do you have an Astral queen for this episode?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it to the Cloud Queen her again. Yeah. She's just a sassy bitch and I love her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she is really good.
Speaker 2: She's like got the best quips. She's she's sharp as the tack.
Speaker 3: Doesn't let him like bullshit through anything. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So and she's not. She even like was very honest. She's like, I wasn't trained in leadership. I'm not a leader. I studied art and music and dance and all this shit, Like I was never meant to be in this position. But now that I am, I'm not gonna shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: And I love that. Yeah, I'm really curious what her role is in the future of the show, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what will become of them?
Speaker 3: Like even just assuming that they do get married, try to consummate, consummate like.
Speaker 2: Well, no, they're not even gonna They're gonna do it in a Petri dish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't want to reverse set vasectony. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. She's so interesting and like, what how's this relationship? How does her role in the Empire play out? I'm so to pick someone too, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah you should. Uh, you can pick her too. I do like her, But you also liked what's her name with a knife and the punching right like sal.
Speaker 3: I liked to Gail too. I liked her journey into the future, So a lot of options this time, we're not scrounding. I've picked Salver a couple of times now, but I shouldn't let that impact it. I think I am going to pick Queen Sarah as well. She just brought a lot to that whole storyline. Yeah, so yeah, she's two times the astral Queen of this episode. You want to know why we call it the astral Queen. That goes way back to our Battlestar Galactica podcast. So that wraps up our coverage for season two, episode two, A Glimpse of Darkness, and we'll see you the next time when we cover episode three called King and Commoner.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that. I hope somebody gets usurped.
Speaker 3: And that is it for us. So thank you for spacing out. Amen, Amen, so say we all you and what is it?
Speaker 2: Prospect and enjoy the peace, bitch.
Speaker 1: Thank you for spacing out with BB and Jason. You can help us out by subscribing and leaving a positive rating or review. Remember you can contact us through email or social media. Next time we will cover Foundation season two episode three, King and Commoner