Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What else is going on? Time for What's happening?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Well, it appears confirmation that it was broken power lines that caused the Maui wildfire. A report found that broken power lines caused that fire from last year last.
Speaker 2: August, I should say in August ago.
Speaker 1: The wildfire killed one hundred and two people, destroyed more than twenty two hundred structures about five billion dollars in damages. This three hundred page report was released yesterday. Comes from Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which was working with local officials like the County of Maui Department of Fire and Public Safety to figure out the cause. It was originally blamed on the combination of high winds in dry weather, but the investigation found that the widespread destruction was caused by a single fire that started by the undetected re energies. Try it again, the undetected re energization energization of broken utility lines that caused sparks that ignited unmaintained vegetation investigation said that there was no definitive conclusion about how the ignition started, but said that the fire cause was accidental. According to the report, they even know exactly where it was. The origin of the fire was the overgrown vegetation at and surrounding utility pole number twenty five off of lah Nah Lahaih Naluna Road. The cause of the fire was the re energization of that line caused sparks to fall at the base of pole twenty five that ignited the unmaintained vegetation below, And in fact they said it was one fire, not two as they originally thought. Dozens more people have been killed in some new Israeli airstrikes in Lebanon and Gaza, as some other nations have ramped up their plans to get people out of Lebanon. At least seven health and rescue workers were apparently killed in an Israeli airstrike on an apartment building in Beirut overnight, the second air strike to hit Central Bay Route this week and the second to hit the Health Society in twenty four hours. The AP said there was no Israeli warning issued to that area before the strike, which is strange because Israel is very well known for warning areas before they do hit residents reported as sulfur like smell, and they now accuse Israel using phosphorus bombs in the strike, which are prohibited by international law for use near civilian populations. The Israeli military has said that, of course, in response to Iran's missile attacks from Tuesday, that they will determine the manner and timing of their response. There was a report earlier today that suggested that some Israeli officials had been quietly saying to Americans, we've proved our point. We don't need to retaliate for those missile attacks. Former First Lady Malania Trump is going to put out a new memoir. It's coming out in a couple of weeks, as a matter of fact, and she has been making the rounds to pitch the movie, to pitch the book, and one of the things that's coming out is that she is criticizing restrictions on abortion. Her new memoir, she writes, why should anyone other than the woman herself have the power to determine what she does with her own body. A woman's fundamental right of individual liberty to her own life grants her the authority to terminate her pregnancy if she wishes again that would be in the book. The position is at odds with much of the Republican Party. She argues that the decision to terminate a pregnancy would be a decision left between a woman and her doctor and said that that is a common sense approach. She also talked in an interview that I I saw about the divisiveness that she sees in American culture so far in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: I should say, I think we.
Speaker 4: Need to listen to each other. We need to respect our freedom of the speech, because I think that we could have innovation and success in this country. We are canceling people that they don't agree on certain issues.
Speaker 1: You may be eligible for a gas settlement payment if you purchased gas anytime in Southern California between February of twenty fifteen and November of twenty fifteen. You might want to submit a claim for a payment under the state settlement with gas trading firms for tampering with and manipulating gas prices in the state. And it includes La San Diego, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, kerne Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and or in Aerial County during that time, you can go to Calgas Litigation dot Com. State Assembly also proved a bill just this week, backed by Governor Newsom, aimed at preventing gas prices from spiking, particularly in late summer months when the demand for that gas goes up. Southern California customers of Ticketmaster have reported fraudulent transfers of concert tickets to unknown accounts. A woman in San Diego, for example, says the tickets that she bought through Ticketmaster for an upcoming concert were fraudulently transferred to someone that she doesn't even know. It's happened before, to a lot of different places. She said, it's not about the money, it's just about missing out on something that we were really excited for. She was going to go see the band Corn, didn't realize they were still together.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 1: She found out the alleged fraud when she received an email that her tickets had been transferred to another account, which is crazy because she said that she already booked flights, hotels, rental cars, all that stuff, along with of course the tickets. Ticketmaster was the victim of a data breach several months ago, and they said that information from several hundred customers had been linked and it may looks like may have been hers. Okay, Richie, you're gonna have to help me out with this one. If you're a fan of mean Girls, you know the date October third is more fetch than all the three hundred and sixty four other days of the year because it's October third, it is, which means what it means that it's National Mean Girls Day. So this is a scene where Lindsay asked Jonathan Bennett what day was and he turned around over the shoulder and said it's October third.
Speaker 2: And then she says, on October third, he asked me what day it was?
Speaker 5: Exactly happened National Day, October third, Richie, you are a font of cultural knowledge and I appreciate that anytime.
Speaker 2: The best part is he explained the same story to Steve and Michelle Good that I'm not the only one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, check out the video I have on my instigra story It's October third, Okay, and then it'll and they'll again exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, all right, this immunity filing came out today, came out yesterday. I should say, one hundred and sixty five pages from special counsel Jack Smith outlining some of the details of former President Trump's desperate efforts to overturn the twenty twenty election loss and joining us to talk more about this is ABC's legal analyst, Royal Oaks and Royal Let's begin with the basic description of this one hundred and sixty five page document. This was a requirement that Jack Smith spell out some of the allegations against him as a direct result of what we saw the Supreme Court rule when it came to presidential immunity.
Speaker 3: Exactly right. This is part of the January sixth election interference case. Carse she need a scorecard to keep track of all the cases. But it's one of the four criminal cases against Trump, this one pending in Washington, DC. So, in response to the case months and months ago, Donald Trump foiled in motion to dismiss saying, hey, if president is immune from prosecution, so get out of my face. The trial court judge said, nice, try Donald, but there's no immunity. The Court of Appeals said, nice, try, Donald, no immunity. But then the US Supreme Court, as you know, took up the case and in July, Supreme Court said, actually, there is some immunity if a president is performing his official constitutional duties. So the High Court sent it back to the trial court for the judge there to sort out which allegations against Trump were official duties and which were just personal things. So to create two buckets and you put all the thirty allegations against Trump, you know, ten of them personal, twenty official whatever. That is the background of yesterday's filing by Special Counsel Smith. His argument was Donald Trump wasn't doing anything official, he was just trying to overturn the election. And so yeah, now we're going to hear Donald trump side of the story.
Speaker 2: Why was this made public? Was that the judge's discretion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something like this, where you have sensitive material that involves an investigations by the Department of Justice, it normally is sealed, and it was. But then the defense or the prosecution said, hey, your you know, acquiring minds, you want to know, why don't we just reveal this. This isn't too sensitive, and the judge recently said, yeah, let's reveal it. And of course that led to some criticism because, as you know, there's this sort of informal it's an unwritten rule, but it's a sixty day rule. This is the Department of Justice shall not do anything that might interfere with an election. So you know, you're not supposed to indict people within a couple of months of an election. You're not supposed to take big investigative steps. So you could argue this violates the rule, but it's a little squishy. First of all, it's just an unwritten rule, and also it doesn't really necessarily apply to stuff that goes on after an indictment. Of course, here Trump was indicted long ago. So yeah, there's contra he as to whether the unsealing of this thirty four days over the election was brazenly political, but you know, both sides will have their take on that.
Speaker 1: We're talking with ABC's legal analyst Royal Oaks about this new filing in the January sixth case against former President Trump. Was there anything in here that you saw that surprised you or was different than what we've already known about this case.
Speaker 3: Well, it sounds more inflammatory than what we knew before. For example, it was a helicopter flight with Trump and his family after the election, and an Oval Office aid overheard Trump saying to his family, it doesn't matter if you want or lost the election, You'll still have to fight like hell. So Jacksmith points that out to show that, you know, this isn't his official duties. He's just trying to desperately claim to power. Plus, there was an aid that told Donald Trump, hey, Vice President Mike Pence is in peril with the rioting on Capitol Hill is escalated, He's in danger. Allegedly, Donald Trump looked at him and said, so what. So then there was a Trump's Twitter account who was open and active the entire afternoon on January sixth. People are storming in the Capitol and Trump allegedly did nothing to try to stop them. So these are some of the things that were in Smith's filing well. For example, also Trump was mocking his own lawyers claims about election traud, calling them crazy. So again, a lot of this sounds familiar, sounds like what we heard before. But Smith is really doing this in order to convince this judge to put all this stuff in the personal bucket, not the official bucket. And of course, as you know, Gary, it was controversial for Chief Justice Roberts. He really kind of rammed this through the court. He wrote the opinion. He was concerned about the weaponization of the legal system, having biased prosecutors and judges go after politicians, and a lot of people are concerned about that. But in response, he carved out this new immunity that we'd never seen before. So he created a rule that a lot of people criticize. For example, an official act in the constitution, you're totally immune if you do an official act. Well, official act is pardoning somebody or appointing an ambassador. What if you appoint an ambassador or pardon somebody based on a bribe, Well, according to Robert's opinion, you can't be prosecuted. Well, the answer is, well, you could be impeached, or maybe we change the constitution to say if you partner somebody based on a bribe, then the partner is null and void. But it's a messy situation when you try to carve out immunity for something that most people would hear about and say that's really bad. Maybe it should be a crime.
Speaker 2: Does this thing ever go into a courtroom?
Speaker 3: Well, in the time, and of course is so important, and as you know, you followed this carefully. Four criminal cases filed way back in the early twenty twenty three, middle of twenty twenty only the Stormy Daniels one went to trial. The others who'd just gotten bollocked up. The judge in Florida dismissed it. So the bottom line is that if Trump wins, of course the case, we'll keep going until January twenty, at which point he will say in his inaugural address, thanks for coming. By the way, I'm dismissing those cases against me, and I'm barding myself and all my friends. Now let's get into the you know, ask not for what you can do through your country and so on. If he loses, it's going to be full steam ahead. You can bet that President Kamala Harris is going to give her blessing to Jack Smith to keep going full steam ahead, to try to pursue Donald Trumbunnelly in the Washington DC case, but try to get the appellate court to reinstate the Mano Lago case down in Florida, which is, you know, the judge dumped because she said Jack Smith was illegally appointed.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, Well, I can't wait to go through the other one hundred and five pages that I haven't yet finished, So Royal, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You bet, thanks Royal Oaks.
Speaker 1: There, ABC News legal analysts, we come back Strange science. Oh, and a couple more follow ups to the people who have been tracking their own partners using their phones.
Speaker 2: We were talking earlier. Oh, Jacob, this is half for you and half for me. I think, hey, carry I happen to love your bumper music. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's why the wife left.
Speaker 2: You, because you have no taste in music. Have a good day bye. I feel like there's some mixed signals in there.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that's all you. You think that's just for me. Remember you choose all the bumper music.
Speaker 1: Ah, that is true. I do choose all the bumper music every single day. And that's why my wife left me, apparently. So we were discussing earlier about the dilemma maybe between some couples about whether or not you want to track each other's geographic location using your phone.
Speaker 6: And you're talking about tracking your partners. We have been together twenty four years and we finally decided to spend some money on some iPhones. I asked my wife, whould you like to track me? She started laughing at me the day she said, the day I turned on her tracker, she's going to divorce me.
Speaker 7: My nephew put a checker on my sister's phone so you would know when she was coming home, so he and his girlfriend could stop doing whatever they are doing.
Speaker 8: Love the show, Like, alright, Gary, I'm not tracking my wife. I'm tracking my wife's phone in case it gets stolen again. Have a great day, goodbye.
Speaker 1: I tracked myself to make sure that I'm on work on time and at home on time.
Speaker 2: I can know where I'm at at all the time. It's very good. It's Thursday, and it's time for strange science. Strange it's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 1: So in the natural world, there is something called diapause. I think I'm saying that correctly. It's a biological tenacity, ingenuity that's necessary for survival. It's not exclusive to to the story of all of our life, all of life, I should say, on our planet. But some individual species, even individual organisms, have some adaptations that would allow them to continue their genetic lineage despite natural hardships that occur. Diapause is one way that that's described, and scientists would tell you an example of it the delaying of pregnancy. For example, sometimes creatures can delay a pregnancy until the conditions are the best they can be to carry something to full term and actually birthen offspring. So a fertilized embryo would actually temporarily hold off implanting in the wall of an animal's uterus until the conditions are just right. And again that's called diapause, basically slowing down biological processes until the conditions are better or best. A lot of mammals can do this, and according to a new that was published in the journal Cell, humans might be able to do that with a little bit of help. Also, according to this press release that came out, they said human stem cells and stem cell based blastocyst models called blastoids might be the key to that pause button. They said if researchers inhibited a series of chemical reactions known as the m tore signaling pathway, the stem cells and blastoids would then go into a state with that was extremely similar to diapause, and it would even would even only work within a certain phase of development, just like that diapause does. On top of it all, everything is reversible. So if they were able to block those chemical reactions, in there, the stem cells and blastoids go into diapause, but once that pathway is uninhibited, they take it away. Everything goes back to no normal and development proceeds as if nothing had ever happened. So, according to this test, human pregnancies could even enter that diapause like state if it's properly introduced induced. I should say the potential could be a vestige of the evolutionary process that we no longer make use of. But they're talking about the potential serious benefits. Could you imagine obviously reproductive health treatments IVF. But on the other hand, could you could work on different ways of healing specific parts of the body, overcoming disease in different parts of the body simply by turning off the ongoing mechanism. Just stop in the little pendulum that goes on the Grandfather clock before you want to start it again. Scientists have also, after a decade, been unable to unveil a fly brain in stunning detail. Now previously, a worm brain with just three hundred and eighty five neurons was the only adult animal to have its brain entirely reconstructed mapped out via computer. Three hundred and eighty five neurons. A fruit fly brain has one hundred and forty thousand neurons, and a human brain has about eighty six billion, so we got a ways to go for that one. But in this case, they say they have mapped out the nervous system and brain of Drosophola mel gaster, which, if you remember from science class, is the common fruit fly. They started this more than ten years ago, and what they did was they dunked the brain about the size of a poppy seed by the way of an adult fly, in a chemical bath, and it hardens it into a block. And then they shave very very very thin layers of that block and use a microscope to take pictures of it. They shave another layer, they take a new picture, They shave another layer, they take a new picture. They did seven thousand sections of this brain, again about the size of a poppy seed, seven thousand sections of it, came up with twenty one million pictures, and then developed software to interpret the images and recognize the cross sections of neurons in each picture and then stack them into three D shapes of cells. So they now have a three D version specifically of that fly, of course, but of one hundred and forty thousand neurons that are packed together by more than four hundred and ninety feet of wiring, all within that tiny little flies head out in space. Pluto is the most famous dwarf planet, but there are others in our Solar System. And now they're saying that Series appears to be rich in water because it has plenty of ice. For years, Series confounded experts because it had this cratered surface, and they said these pits were too deep and too rigid to exist on a water world. They think they may not be a contradiction after all, because if they account for are a key ingredient, mud, lots and lots of mud. And again Series happens to be out in the main asteroid belt, although they call it a dwarf planet and not an asteroid. They said the previous thinking was that dwarf planets were icy, the craters would deform easily like glaciers that flow on Earth like gooey honey. But they said, in fact that this thing is loaded with ice, as much as ninety percent of it. Then they tested different crust scenarios and found out that the dirty ice could keep the crust from flowing over billions of years, and that it would gradually get muddier with less frozen at lower depths. So we're in the middle of strange science and we're talking about what's going on with the world of science. But first I want to get into this. I mentioned the toilet paper shortages that have been rumored in certain places and why they don't make any sense. We produce toilet paper in the United States, the vast majority of it, so it doesn't have to be shipped in so it's not affected by the port striker.
Speaker 8: Hey, Gary, I'm a warehouse broker out in the Inland Empire. As to this toilet paper thing, there's about six hundred thousand square feet of toilet paper manufacturing facilities in the Ontario area.
Speaker 2: Just stop it, guys, Yeah, I agree, just stop it, all right.
Speaker 1: Some piracy gave Mount Everest a growth spurt recently. There's a tributary of the Kosey River network, the Aurun River flows right near Mount Everest. Thousands of years ago, they said the theft of the urn led to geological changes that boosted the height of Mount Everest. The thousands of years ago, this river ate a smaller river and gave an unexpected boost to the height of it. Right now, we know eight eight hundred and forty eight point eighty six meters, that's over twenty nine thousand feet above sea level. Fifty million years ago, a couple of slabs of the earth crusts come together in slow motion. That causes these rocks to rise and we get a twenty nine thousand foot high mountain. Everest is the highest of those mountains by over eight hundred feet. The ancient collision is still lifting the Himalayas, but they said GPS measurements showed that Everest is growing at a rate of about two millimeters per year rather than the expected one millimeter per year, and that they blame about eighty nine thousand years ago the Cozy River in the Himalayas, capturing part of a tributary, the Aarun River. They call it river piracy and sets in motion a chain of geological events that reshape the landscape. With a downstream flow that was strengthened by that piracy, the Cozy River system began eroding more rock from the valleys below Everest, and as the rock crumbles away, other parts are lifted up to compensate for the loss. Hence the two millimeter per year growth. Couple of ancient digs in Europe have unveiled some interesting things below the earth. Archaeologists have onearthed more than fifty exceptionally well preserved skeletons in a very large Viking area era I should say, burial ground in the eastern part of the Netherlands. A team from a museum spent the last six months excavating this site. They said it's about twenty one thousand square feet or so is thought to date back to the ninth and tenth centuries. The skeletons were buried along artifacts from far beyond the borders of Denmark, suggesting that the Vikings traveled extensively for trade. According to the team at the museum, and they also said interestingly, the bones are in a very good state of preservation. They said, often when they excavate bodies from the Viking Age, they're lucky if there's just a few teeth. But it's the conditions at the site, a lot of chalk in the ground which helps preserve the bones, and a lot of natural water in the ground as well, which slows down the decomposition of the bones. Also in Europe, they said they found a massive battle ground and an arrowhead that perforated an ancient skull in the Tolenz Valley in northeast Germany. An amateur archaeologist spotted a bone sticking out of the riverbank back in nineteen ninety six, so that started a series of sight excavations that has since shown the thousands of bones, hundreds of weapons preserved by that undisturbed environment in that Tolenz Valley. The thing is there was a there was a huge battle based on what they found, a huge battle about three two hundred and fifty years ago. They don't know who was there at the time, so they don't know why this fight occurred or who it was that was fighting in it. And they compared arrowheads, for example, some of which are still embedded in the remains of the fall, and like I said, in the skull, and many of those weapons were locally produced, some that bore different shapes came from a region that now includes modern Bavaria and Moravia. But they said that there were some other arrows. They said it may have been a Southern army that clashed with those local tribes in that valley. All based on the stones that made up the arrowheads, and just the shape of the arrowheads, the way that they were produced. And then finally, this is a good absolute science nerd story. The medallion that contained some of the original mold that was involved in the discovery of penicillin is expected to go up for auction and get somewhere over fifty thousand dollars. Again, it's just the little medallion probably fit in the palmier hand. Was created and inscribed by Scottish bacteriologists Alexander Fleming in the course of one of the most pivotal discoveries in medical history. He stumbled across penicillin, the world's first antibiotic, because he left a stack of staff cultures next to an open window while he was on vacation back in nineteen twenty eight, and when he got back from vacation, the cultures were contaminated by an airborne mold there, and before disposing of the cultures, he saw that the mold had actually prevented normal growth by the staff. He created a medallion as a gift for his niece. He inscribed it with the message the mold that made penicillin and then signed it. Alexander Fleming expected to get somewhere around fifty thousand dollars in an online auction when it goes up later this month. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app