Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: Nicole still looking for the next win of a Boston sports team Ruins down to Zip to Washington. Well, the Celtics won the other night. The Celtics are back. They they could do it all. Sure, question about it there, We'll find a way. Is the Patriots are coming back. I'm very impressed with what the Patriots have done. Okay, they're free agent signing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm trying to get ahead of myself here.
Speaker 4: I want to go season by season at this point.
Speaker 2: No, I do, I do understand it, but I just I'm always looking at it from thirty thousand feet. We have to bring all of these teams championships, that's all.
Speaker 4: So duck boats are getting rusty. This is unacceptable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a couple of years now, I know, well one year, it was last year, it was last summer. I know.
Speaker 1: Still I'm selfish.
Speaker 2: What can I say. You're a realist. All right, thanks, thank you, Thanks to call the call Davis. Everyone. Good evening everyone. I'm Dan Ray and I'm along with Rob Brooks. Rob is back in the big Control room at the Big Socket there in Medford, Massachusetts. Broadcast headquarters where we broadcast to the world, and tonight we of course will broadcast in the world for four hours. We have an interesting guest, a great guest, a good friend, Boston attorney Jim Roosevelt, James Roosevelt, grandson of former President Franklin Delan and Roosevelt, who last night had a little bit of transportation is just so he's joining us tonight and take some more questions and more conversation on what's going on with SO Security and let us hope that SO Security survives. And I think that Jim Roosevelt will agree with me on that that it will. But obviously there needs to be we have to pay attention to what's going on. And then we will talk at ten o'clock about the decision today by Attorney General Pam Bondi. She's directed federal prosecutors to pursue the death penalty against Luigi Mangioni. I can't think of anyone in America right now who deserves the death penalty. Well, maybe there's some that were deserve it more, but he certainly deserves it in my opinion. If he's convicted, he still maintains the presumption of innocence, but we'll talk about the specifics beginning sometime around ten o'clock. And first of all, Happy April to everyone. It is April Fool's Day. There are no jokes here on Nightside. We take everything very seriously and we are going to start off tonight with our first of four guests. This is National Autism Awareness Month. I have a lot of familiarity with autism. Autism Acceptance Month actually did a lot of work with a school dealing with kids who have been dealing in families dealing with autism with us as Joeanne Simon's she's the president and CEO of the Northeast ARC, which of course does great work in helping individuals with disabilities and autism, but also helping the families of individuals with disabilities and autism. Joe n Simon's welcome tonight's side. How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm great, Dan, Thanks for having me, and thanks for letting everyone know that it's Autism Acceptance Months.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, again, that's almost redundant to me because obviously, you know, people who are dealing with autism, they have a little bit of a extra struggle than most of us have. But we all have our struggles. I think that our country and the people in our country are becoming much more aware and therefore much more accepting of the reality that a certain number of people are born with autism and they're part of our society and part of our community, however different some people might view them. So let's talk about do you agree with me that the public reaction towards families and individuals with autism has really gotten better in the last twenty or so years.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Dan, it's the acceptance and the understanding of people that are different from one another is on the rise. And you know, the United States, I think is certainly among developing countries that have led the way. But in Massachusetts in particular, we can be very proud of our you know, legislative body, our you know, executive branch, and you know, all the families and advocacy organizations that have come together in the last twenty thirty years to really promote the abilities and the opportunities for people with autism and other intellectual.
Speaker 5: And developmental disabilities as well.
Speaker 4: And we're you know, not there yet in terms of you know, it's where we need to be, but we certainly can be proud of the work that we've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did spend a lot of time for about during about for about twenty years raising funds and working, I shouldn't say working, raising funds so others can work at the New England Center for Children out in Southborough. It's a great.
Speaker 4: School, great organization.
Speaker 2: Great organization, and you fill Ustralia has been out there, founded it and is still is still with it. But the ARC chapters. I was first introduced to ARC Greater Boston ARC by a dear friend of mine, doctor Harold Turner, who sadly has has passed on to his reward. He was an amazing He was a pediatric dentist and who did a lot of dental work for kids who had autism. H His patience and his understanding he certainly showed me and our friendship evolved over it. There's just so many good people and certainly ARC is an extraordinary organization. And there are several arcs Massachusetts it's not it's like this the Massachusetts Arc of the New England ARC. But you have different arcs. And how are you, folks, Yes you have an event, you have an event coming up of a mistake.
Speaker 4: Yes, we have a big event. We're hosting our signature fundraising event. We call it an Evening of Changing Lives on Tuesday, April eighth at the Encore Boston Harbor. And what makes the Evening of Changing Lives so unique is that we have an inclusive fashion show where individuals that are supported by the Northeast Doark are partnered with local celebrities and business executives to highlight their abilities and we are able to demonstrate in a really fun, upbeat and fast paced event. The range of services of the Northeast Darks provides from early diventions, so you're going to see little kiddos, you know, births to three to you know the school age children and teenagers and adults and even older adults. And some of our local celebrities and business executives taking part this year include Robbie Goldstein, who's the Commissioner of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Jenny Holiday, the CEO Encore Boston Harbor, Paul Sullivan. Of course we all know Paul from Sullivan Tire.
Speaker 2: And I want to give my understanding is is that your master or mistress of ceremonies is my friend.
Speaker 4: I was just going to get to that I didn't want to be. She's returning as MC because Kim actually is a neighbor of mine here on the North Shore and a long time Northeast ARC advocate. And you know that there's a celebrity mcs, you know who come out And we're so grateful in Boston because we have so many, you know, local media personalities who are willing to give up their time and talent. But Kim is extraordinary because she knows our programs deeply and intimately, she's visited them, she knows the people we support. She comes up and talks from the heart. And this year she's actually going to be co MCing with a young man that we've supported since he was two years old who has autism, and Jackson's Gain will be the co MC again highlighting the abilities of somebody with autism. And he has a wonderful person story to tell and a future that's bright. He's a college student, a high school graduate, and well, not everyone is going to achieve the heights that we have for Jackson, but everybody can have live their best life and have a quality of life with the proper supports that we are lucky to enjoy here in Massachusetts. For the most part we still are. And I was so happy to hear that you have Jim Roosevelt coming on later to talk about social security, because social security and medicaid are the lynchpin for the people that we all care about.
Speaker 2: Sure, so there's still tickets available to the event. Tell us how can people get there?
Speaker 4: Their tickets available and they can go to our website which is www dot n e hyphen arc dot org. But you can also just google Northeast Dark Evening of Changing Lives, you know, you know, mister Google, there can find almost anything up there these.
Speaker 2: Days, no doubt. And that is April eighth. I think you said that. If I'm not so, it's a week from tonight.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: It is, and.
Speaker 4: That's right, Ample Parking. You don't have to hassle with Dooundtown Parking always. And we will have an event to remember and we will be uh you know, highlighting and a special uh I don't want to give out the name yet. A Super Bowl champion will be there. Instead of the old boring raised the paddle, it will be throwing the footballs. So there'll be a Patriot great that will be there. And you have to I take a.
Speaker 2: Guess but I might guess it, so I'm not going to take a guess. Okay, we'll keep it a sec. Joeyne Simon's the president and CEO of the Northeast ARC. Thanks for your time tonight, Thanks for what you do in best of luck next Tuesday night. Thank you so much. Kim, will you.
Speaker 4: Please, I certainly will you take care?
Speaker 2: Talk soon? Okay when we come back. Do you know that there is now a rum factory. I'm not sure what you want to call it, but there's a new rum that has a footprint here in New England. And I must tell you I was given one a bottle of this rum. I recently did Karragan and Company Kim Kerrigan the same Kim Kerrigan does a great podcast every week. You can find that podcast where Kim and I talk about a number of things, including the Karen Reid trial and other things. But this rum is called it's called Rumson's Rum. We're going to talk with the old of Rumsen's wrung, Eric Lash. Right after this quick break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with.
Speaker 2: Boston's news Radio, Well, I stumbled upon my next guest company. As I mentioned before the break, I had done an hour podcast with Kim Kerrigan, former anchor person on three major Boston TV stations. I'm sure the name and the face rings a bell with most of you. Wonderful person and she invited me to participate in your podcast a couple of weeks ago called Karragan C A R R I, G A and Company. And if you are listening to us anywhere across the United States and you want to say, what does this radio guy look like? Uh? In video? Just go to Karragan and Company and you can just google it. You'll find it on YouTube. Karragan, C A R R A, g A N and Company. And as a going away gift, I was given a bottle, a beautiful bottle of gold rum, Rumsen's Rum, and I must tell you it is excellent quality. I wanted the only the only liquor that that I really utilize. And I'm primarily a cause light guy and a red wine guy, but I do like an occasional rum and diap see. And so with us is the owner of this fine rum, Eric Glass. He's the owner of Rumson's Rum. And this is a company out of Salem, Massachusetts. You know Eric. Normally, when we think about rum, we think about the Caribbean and all of that, and this is excellent rum. Congratulations on your effort of You know, when we talk here in Massachusetts, we all know about the craft breweries. They are everywhere, but are you the only rum producer here in New England that you're aware of?
Speaker 5: Thank you for the accolade stand, Thank you for having me on. I am not the only rum producer. I'm not the only distiller, and like you, I am a Caribbean rum enthusiast. That's kind of how I got into it. That's sort of the RUMs that I like. There are lots and lots of micro distilleries now in the nation, and in New England and mass there's a few that specialize in rum. I would say different styles. I go after the big, bold English style RUMs, molasses based. The Grammar Reserve is a sipping rum, the gold you had with a cocktail rum that's got a beautiful flavor. We're New England's most rum brand at this point. We've got over seventy awards since we launched, so we're still getting there.
Speaker 2: So well. First of all, it's this is imported and blended by Pirate Dog Brand LLC out of Salem, mass, and it's a product of Trinidad. I'm just reading the label a little bit more closely.
Speaker 5: Thumb is yes. So I go down to the Caribbean. I go to distillers, actual distillers. I don't use the middleman. I fly in. I sample RUMs and got into the rumhouses. Try the barrels, have the barrels to canter them, the drums at barrel proof and fill up a container and send them up here. That I do all the blending up here. So there are all Caribbean RUMs. The ones you're reading are probably Trinidadian RUMs.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, So my question is the one I have is it's it's gold rum, and it smells great, it tastes great, it blends, it mixes great and all of that. How did you come up with the name us Rum? I mean, obviously kind of it's a little poetic rump soun's rum. How'd you come up with the name?
Speaker 5: By chance, happenstance? So I the business name is Pirate Dog Brand. I'm a boxer dog enthusiast, which you can probably see on the label. I had multiple boxer dogs. My first one, Goliath fawn colored mailboxer, was sort of my pirate Dog. He was on the boat with me. He you know, had some struggles with you know, blown out, acl attacked my animals, some other things, scarred up, but always on the boat with me. He was like my pirate My second dog that I got when I was worried about him passing. I wanted one to overlap him. And I got a second dog, and I was in the process of starting up the business, and I kind of wanted to name him after the business a little bit. The first dog, Goliath is the likeness you see on the bottle and on my website and things like that. My second dog, I wanted the name after the business, so trying to figure out how to do it, I was thinking Rumford, you know, things like that. In my family were English descendants. There's a lot of Emerson's, which is son of Emory, so I'm like, oh, son of Rumson, and I needed a new brand name. Pirate Dog wasn't a great brand name, but as all of being challenged by a large player out there on a trademark issue, so I maintained it as a business name. I can't use it as a brand name, rum since I think is a stronger and simpler brand name anyway. So it's named after my second dog. That's great, It's actually named after a cock daily make So.
Speaker 2: So where can people find your rum? And can they buy it directly? If they if they can't get it at their local store, are there a couple of outlets you can direct people too, because if people are rum fans, they should certainly at least give it a try.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can't buy it directly from me. I have a full blown distilled spirits plants license. The people that can sell directly have a farmer's license. I'm not sure how they are all able to do it, but a less in the sell retail, which I can't do. Okay, we're in Massachusetts. We've been in not New Hampshire. I'll probably repitch New Hampshire again. We're raising capital of Scales and once they get to that point, well, Washington, Hampshire and we're in Rhode Island. We're in a little bit in western Canada and some other places, but largely northeast of Massachusetts is the biggest footprint right now. Total Line will have it, most Cappy stores will have it, The Booses will have it, some other stores have it or can get it. Again, anybody can pull it in through our distributor. Currently that's Ruby Wine's out of Massachusetts. So if someone was interested, they can you know, Julia's Liquors out in Westboro. They can say, hey, I'm interested in getting it. They can pull it in, so it shouldn't be difficult to get it. We're working on expansion. There are a couple places that will ship sort of within state. It's a little easier. Out of state. It's more of a challenge, but there are places to get it. They certainly should look forward. I think it's a rum that appreciate. We try to post when we're doing samplings, so on Facebook is probably the best location for that one. Events will often post with a sampling so they can come in and try it with no commitment.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it looks it looks to me like yeah, it looks to me like you do have a web site, which is simply Rumson's dot com. Are r U M S O N s dot com? Correct?
Speaker 5: Okay and correct a link to places on it?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, okay, So so they can't purchase from you, but they can figure out what stores might be available. Uh, and I'm sure all of that information I just went into the website and said you of legal drinking age. Yeah, I'm of legal drinking age about times. I don't know. I don't think it's quite five yet, but uh, it's it's getting there. Let's put it like that. So I do yes.
Speaker 5: Was that the federal government likes that you screen people before they go look, there is a there is an honorary marketing advertising agreement that.
Speaker 2: You okay, yeah, when you go in there, you get where to buy and all of that. And I know that I'm going to check with my local favorite liquor store and see if they have it, and I will become a customer because it's it's quite good. It's quite good. Thank you, I really mean it. And so congratulations on the effort. Thank you for bringing you know, something else here to New England that we can be proud of. And you've you've done a lot of work on this and I've really enjoyed it. And it's great to have met you over the phone and someday we'll meet in person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eric, our pleasure. Best of luck with this, keep it rolling. And uh, when do you head back to the Caribbean to to buy some more product.
Speaker 5: I've got to tell you it's largely dependent on the capital raies right now. It's how quickly we're going to scale. I mean, without scaling, it'll probably next year. I can to go every year or two. I mean I load up up container and ship it up. That's got a good amount. But if we if we have capital and we scale and we start putting ten fifteen, twenty forty foots on the ground, people, we're going to have to ramp up a much quicker. And the plans for that. So we've got it planned out to continue to accelerate, you know, infistrate Massachusetts, get more of New Hampshire in Rhode Island, you know, get into me and then good on the coast.
Speaker 2: So well, we've got a strategy. Best of all, keep it keep Eric, keep us posted, okay, because yeah it is. I will become a customer in some format.
Speaker 5: We got to you to try some more too. The other flavors you should try coffee. Coffee is really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this gold was excellent, so gold rum Thank you. Rumson's right, Thanks again. Eric, We'll talk soon, okay, thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Dan. It's great talking to you.
Speaker 2: Right back at you good night. Okay. So now we have the eight thirty News coming up a couple of minutes late. I was very interested in this, and we're going to talk on the other side with Bill Dendi. He's a financial strategist with Raymond James, and he's going to talk about the Bank of Mom and Dad. You haven't heard of the Bank of mom and Dad. Well, fifty percent of parents are now financially supporting adult children. I don't know what that says about the economy, but we'll find out. By the way, you listen to WBC in Boston or an iHeartRadio station, you can pull down the iHeart new and improved iHeart app at any point. You can put it on your phone any any sort of your smart devices, so we're always just a fingertip away. If you set a WBZ up as your number one preset, you can listen to us anywhere in the world, anywhere in the world, three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven. You can get night side from eight to midnight and news from midnight all the way until eight pm here on WBZ, Boston's legacy New England's legacy radio station. Back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nicole, appreciate the newscast. We are going to talk with Bill Dandy. Bill's been a guest before. He's a financial strategist with Raymond James. Bill Dendy, welcome back to night Said, how are you, sir man.
Speaker 6: It's good to be with you always.
Speaker 2: I have never heard of the bank of mom and dad until today. The statistic is stunning. Fifty percent of parents are now financially supporting their adult children. How do we define adult children in this study?
Speaker 6: Well, thus children over the age of eighteen, and I do so understand having a twenty two year old of my own, that they're still finished up with college and they may need some help. But the studies show those between eighteen to twenty eight need a whole lot of help, and about half of the parents surveyed are helping those children. But what gets me is the next group from twenty nine to forty five, they're still taking money from mom and dad.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, that's kind of extrame. And we're not talking about, you know, one hundred dollars for a birthday gift or something. You're talking about a regular like going mom and Dad are a veritable ATM, a human ATM.
Speaker 6: That's right, and it's worse than maybe you know. The bank of mom and Dad has probably been around for generations, maybe hundreds of years.
Speaker 2: And let's make it clear, it's not a federally charted bank here.
Speaker 6: That's right. That's when you know you're buying your first house and you don't quite have enough to swing the down payment, and mom and Dad show up and say, okay, we will loan you or sometimes give, but oftentimes it's we'll loan you the money to get you started. And for these big purchases it will be a one time vent or the family's growing and we need the vehicle heart cart everybody around, and sometimes credit may not be good enough, so mom and Dad will co sign or out outright lend the money. But the terminology today, as the study has shown, it is not necessarily alone. Most of these families now are just continuing to support their adult children, and it's very concerning, but according to the report, it's not for those one time life events. The biggest thing that they're providing is eighty plus percent of providing groceries on a regular basis many are providing. The next big category is rent, and the thing is is that there's no stopping point where the child doesn't need groceries or when the rent stops, and so it's not the one time events. It's that the parents are continuing to provide. And when you say, yeah, it's not a small amount, the average of getting out there is as well over one thousand dollars. There's think seventeen hundred dollars, nearly two thousand for the dollars per month for the younger group, but even for the gen zer, we're looking at over nine hundred dollars a month. And you know, the crazy thing is most of the parents surveyed in this are not even saving seven hundred a month of their only time and so they're spending over fourteen hundred for the kids, but they're only saving seven hundred for themselves.
Speaker 2: Those numbers don't work. You know, those numbers don't work. So let me ask you this. If let us say the parents are uber wealthy, however you define that, it doesn't necessarily adversely impact them if they really are and again uber wealthy, if, on the other hand, they're a middle class set of parents who maybe now are moving into their sixties. They've worked their entire life, they've raised the kids, sent the kids off to college or whatever. The kids are still kind of draining the parents. When does it end? And if it doesn't end, how are the parents able to provide for themselves as they creep further refurther into old age, higher medical bills, maybe some living expenses that they're not even dealing with now. It sounds to me like this generation of parents who are in their fifties and maybe sixties love their kids. But they say love is blind. I guess it is in this case, it's very blind.
Speaker 6: Well, that's exactly what a lot of economists and financial planners are warning about that a lot of these parents don't know what they're doing to themselves, and what they're doing is I don't know. It's like on an airplane when they say that you need to put on your own oxygen mask first before you help others. They're no on the kids oxygen. Math is going to get a nice and comfortable, but they're going to fall over without anything of their own set and especially if about the times the kids finally get on their own, then the parents start needed help. I mean so you help your kids, you get them launched. We got it just five more years look before retirement or so we're going to really suck it away. You're going to get ahead. And as you said, it could be your own health.
Speaker 5: I'm not being there for you, but.
Speaker 6: It's also could be now your own parents need your assistance because they didn't have enough set aside, and they're living longer than expected, and the long term care starts coming into play, and that's awfully expensive, and a lot of families will put the family needs right up at the top. They feel like that's why they have money. They need to take care of everyone, but they forget to take care of themselves and then they're not able and even the ultra wealthy.
Speaker 2: Yes, but let me ask you this question. Are the kids who are relying upon the parents now and you said well into their twenties and into their thirties or even beyond, are they working in jobs that are not providing them You know, normally you hope that your child gets a better job than you had and it maybe makes a few more dollars than you. The these kids coming out of school with the big college loans and they're archaeology majors, and they are, they just aren't making the money that will sustain the lifestyle to which they've been accustomed.
Speaker 6: Wow, you just open up a whole package of conversation bits in there. I mean, my true belief is the underlying issue is a lack of general financial knowledge. The parents don't know what they're doing themselves, and they didn't teach it to the children, and the children didn't know from the very beginning. By the time you're like eighteen nineteen years old, you should know that not all degrees are financially equal, but a lot of kids don't, and they are troll to get into the best college they can get into instead of the best university they can afford. And so, yes, we have student debt well over the trillion dollar mark now, and the credit cards are pushed to the maxim and the students are coming out and maybe not making the highest stollaries. And here's the other side of that, and this is the financial education piece. It's that oftentimes the students come out and maybe we've had hyperinflation, so they got hit hard with inflation, and maybe their salaries didn't keep up, and mom and dad started picking up some of the tabs, but they don't know what they can afford and can't afford. And for a lot of these they don't know the difference between the needs and the wants. And so you have the newly minted archaeologists coming out who wants to have the same things that mom and Dad had. They don't start off with the small apartment, move up to the large ones and buy their first house. They start off wanting something in the wonderful Uptown area where the rents are two and three thousand dollars a month or more. They want everything quickly, and they can't afford it, and with inflation being what it has, they've gotten themselves into a lifestyle that's not sustainable instead of now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I call that instant gratification. You know, you gotta you kind of walk before you got to be able to walk before you run. Bill, I hate to do this to you, one of my favorite guests. How can folks find you at Raymond James? Give us a quick website where they can get to you.
Speaker 6: The website is Aliicorn aol I ce O r N Alicorn Investment Management dot com. That's a unicorn that also applies. It's like you do everything, and that's what we have to do for folks.
Speaker 2: Ali Korn Investment Management dot Com. Look, we'll do this again. We haven't even scratched the surface. Thanks Bill, I appreciate it so much. As always, great to have you one of my favorite guests. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: God Bush, you always a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thanks. We'll be right back here on Nightside. We're going to talk about why You're unhappy? Is it biology or politics or maybe some combination thereof. We'll talk with a universe California State University professor about that very topic.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, this is an interesting topic. There's a book entitled Why You're Unhappy Biology Versus Politics with us is the author of that book, doctor Loretta Graziano Bruning. She's a PhD, so i'll call her doctor doctor Browning. Welcome to NIGHTSID. How are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks, nice to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a really interesting background in this in this area. You're founder of what's called the Inner Mammal Institute and Professor Emerita of Management. I know my Latin, so that's like a female emeritus professor Emerita of Management at California State University. That's what that's what four years of Latin at Boston Latin School will do for somebody. You remember some of those words like ray ipsel equador. Anyway, so your book is going to try to teach us why we're unhappy biology versus politics, and I assume, by extension, how we if we read your book, how we can become happier. Is that not fairly clear premise of the book.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course there are already a lot of people talking about how to be happier, but I think they're missing some huge things. So our brain is not designed to release happy chemicals all the time. These chemicals like dopamine serotonin that people have heard about, they're designed to turn on for very specific reasons. You get a little drip and then they turn off. So everybody has ups and downs, and it's a complex skill to manage them, and we've been taught that they're supposed to just be on all the time otherwise something's wrong with you and then you get fixed. And so this is not very good way for people to focus on how to build the skill.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tell us how to build that skill for me. I'm I'm happiest when I'm just relaxing and watching a baseball game and maybe going to sleep, or just after I work out in the gym. And I know, I know from running and working out that that releases a lot of positive chemicals in your body. But not everybody can could run and they can run or work out in the gym. What can people do to get some of those those happy chemicals released legally? You know, we're not you know, you know anything that's illegally here? What can they do?
Speaker 3: So here's the thing. There's four different happy chemicals, dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and endorpit. There are four different good feelings. We want all of them and they all have a different job to do. And when you know what turns them on in animals, it's easy to see that that's what humans are always trying to do. But they motivate behaviors that we don't necessarily approve of with our conscious brain or in society, and that's why it's so complicated. So dopamine, you know, just an interest of time, very simple, and dopamine motivates a person to want more. And when you like, after you said, let's say you have a baseball game, then you want another baseball game. So that's how it works. After one baseball game, your dopamine stops, you know, And so that's.
Speaker 2: Why they used to That's why doctor, they used to doubleheaders. Only kidding, only kidding. Going to workout. I work out at the gym today. I work out at the gym yesterday. You feel great for about an hour after and then the phone rings and you're into doing your work, so all of a sudden, the dopamine shuts off because someone has called you in a crisis, or someone has called you that've canceled as a guest or something like that. Isn't that just life happening? Isn't that something we kind of avoid?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. And that's why it's not good with the modern perspective that you're supposed to feel good all the time, because it's definitely not meant to feel good all the time. You couldn't have a peak moment all the time. So you need when you're having a bad moment to understand how to shift back into the happy chemicals. And it's very specific, like you can't always watch a baseball game. So if you know that what triggers Dopamine is any step toward a goal. So you get it from baseball. Other people don't because you learn to identify with that baseball player seeking a goal. So everyone has their own way of sparking their dopamine. Now, the seratonin and oxytocin are hard to spark. Oxytocin is what people often call the bonding chemical. But if it were so easy to just bond all the time, we'd be doing that. So the bottom line is that when you're with a group, often they get on your nerves and you don't want to be following the crowd all the time.
Speaker 2: Doctor Okay, I don't want ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no, but it's true. This is what our brain is designed to say. Is this a good moment for oxytocin? Or would I rather go my own way? And we're always going back and forth on all of these and that's why it doesn't pay to believe that you're supposed to have them all the time.
Speaker 2: There must be one of them that deals with love and intimacy. Which one is that?
Speaker 3: So that is oxytocin, Like I said, the bonding chemical. Okay, if you don't get it from love, you know, the famous example of going to a pub where everybody knows your name.
Speaker 2: Sure, right, go bowling with your friends.
Speaker 3: Whatever, exactly exactly, And of course then we all know that those things have their limits, and that's why we need to understand the chemical. So we could say, well, what other way can I get it? Okay, the complicated one is Sarah tonin because animals actually are very competitive, and they even have social hierarchies in a group of monkeys or chimp. And it's obvious that this is what people are doing all the time, and that's why we get frustrated about those things.
Speaker 2: I see. So whoever decides what restaurant you're going to go to, I assume is what you're saying. The kids want to go to chuck E Cheese and you want to go to a little bit nicer restaurant or something like that. And most of the time you learn that you go to chuck E Cheese afterte Chuckie Cheese. So, look, your book. We can never cover a book in an eight or a nine minute interview. I'm sure you know that, but I think that you've given some really interesting insights that will encourage people perhaps to pick the book up. What's the easiest way I know everyone's going to say, is the book now published, because sometimes people say, oh, it's coming out next week. When has this book been published? How long is it out for?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's been out for a year and all the information is on my website inn Mammalinstitute dot org Inter Mammal Institute.
Speaker 2: No, that's easy.
Speaker 3: It's also available everywhere.
Speaker 2: But so I assume they get it through Amazon, go to bookstores, maybe even libraries if if they want to pull it out of a library. There's still people who go to libraries, believe it or not these days. But Inner Mammal Institute dot org. Did you say yes? Okay, so so that's that's some sort of some sort of a five oh one setup. If there's a dot org dot org.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, it's like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well that's what I'm saying. Yeah, I mean I just do five O one C three five one C four whatever, you know, just want to don't want people to be confused it's Inner Mammal Institute dot org because some people say it has to be dot com. I want I want to make sure people get to that's all doctor.
Speaker 3: If you want to go right to the book, it's dot org slash y gotcha.
Speaker 2: Well that's easy. The word not the letter. Why w is why.
Speaker 3: I have lots and lots of free resources on my website at the bottom of every page, and you can put in your email and get a free five day Happy Chemical Jumpstart that has one day of messaging on each of the happy chemicals.
Speaker 2: Nice. That's good. I think it would be good if we were all a little happier, There's no doubt about that. Thanks. I really enjoyed the conversation. I had a little bit fun with you. I hope you know that I wasn't in any way, shape or form being disrespectful, but I was having fun. I was having fun and also hoping that that would help people understand better what we're talking about. Thanks so much for your time, and we'll have you back.
Speaker 3: Thank you, take care.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 2: Very welcome by doctor Loretta Bruning. When we come back, we're going to be talking about Social Security with a man who knows because his grandfather signed the so Security Act back in nineteen thirty five. Jim Roosevelt, grandson of Franklin Dellan and Roosevelt to join us, and he was supposed to be with us last night, but We got him tonight and we're looking forward to it. We'll be back on Night's side right after the nine o'clock news here on WBZ, Boston's news radio station,