Speaker 1: We're outside the Travel Agency, a cannabis store that's got everyone buzz them.
Speaker 2: I've been to dispensers all over the United States, but I've never seen one.
Speaker 3: This unique, so nice, amazing vibe, some of the best customer service I've had in a store. Blows my expectations out of the water.
Speaker 1: Come down to the Travel Agency and see for yourself. For use only by adultage twenty one an old. Keep out of breach of children and pats. In case of acccellent, ingestion, or over consumption, contact National Poison Control Center Consumer Spots.
Speaker 4: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapp or a high fiver. I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino At chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at chumba casino dot com.
Speaker 3: No we necessary void over if I lost in terms of conditions.
Speaker 4: Eighteen plus No, Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime anywhere, with daily bonuses that ship brighten your day alone. Actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: Nobrids Necessary dapod where everyboy lost he terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: Okay, round two. Name something that's not boring.
Speaker 2: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 5: Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for Chumbu Casino Jump. That's right, Chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 4: Chum Chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 5: Nover Necessary Working Law eighty plus terms the conditions of the plus website retails.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 7: Good evening. In this notorious USA collection, Death of a Cheerleader, New York Times bestselling author Greg Olsen and true crime journalist Kevin M. Sullivan write about notorious crimes in the Bluegrass State. In a scene right out of Hitchcock's rear window, a young woman vanishes from a beach on a summer day, and a neighbor views the abduction through his telescope. A newly wed disposes of his bride but doesn't know what to do with her head. Selling tickets at a drive in movie theater proves deadly, and a parent's worst nightmare becomes reality their young daughter disappears from a sleepover. The focus of the program this evening is Death of a Cheerleader with my special guests, journalist and author Kevin M. Sullivan. Welcome back to the program, and thank you for greeing this interview. Kevin M. Sullivan.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dan, it's good to be back, and I expect we're going to have a good time tonight because the cases we'll be talking about are very bizarre homicides and really little known homicides outside of the state of Kentucky that is until now.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's Civil incredibook. It's an incredible collection, and it is strange to realize that it comes from just one little state and a state that's maybe not so notorious really compared to some of the other states of the United States. So let's get right into this and very interesting too. Each title has got sort of a tongue in cheek sometimes too, where titles like A Day at the Beach. Yeah, first off, you know, other than give us your Kentucky background for those people that don't know, and why it was important for you to what was it about these particular cases that you wanted to assemble for this book, Why these cases and why Kentucky tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Well, occasionally I would hear about a case. A Day at the Beach was a good example of one, and this particular case, you know, when this girl and her name was Heather Tigue, which he disappeared from a beach along the Ohio River at Henderson, Kentucky. There was a little bit of the paper about it, but not much. But the circumstances of it were very strange. Of course, that piqued my interest. Immediately. I was working on something else, but I thought, I need to find out about the case. And then there was another case that I included in this book, Death of a Cheerleader, and that's the title of the book, about a girl that was murdered here in Kentucky. So these cases came about. I mean I would hear them, sometimes, I would catalog things, and then sometimes and then after I reached the place where I knew, I thought there are enough strange cases out of Kentucky that I can compile them together. That's when I started doing research. And of the cases, some of them were more recent and some of them were from a long time ago, and those will get into later. They were very interesting as much as how do you get the information? Where do you go to get it? It's going to be in the archives somewhere of a police department, But you got to have dates, you got to have names, and when there are long ago cases, sometimes all you carry is an idea of what happened, what was reported at the time. The boy it's something. Having to attract this stuff down. I was very fortunate. I've always been good at doing research and getting to things, so I never had a whole lot of problems of getting to it. But it was time consuming, so that it was my idea to put together something from the state of Kentucky from all these bizarre cases, and every state added me. But some of the cases that and in this particular book, I've only included six, but I've compiled many cases and I'll have another book coming out later from while Do Press having to do with other Kentucky murders. And I used to also write for a paper here in Kentucky, uh and that paper was called Snitch, and it was a weekly print newspaper at one point in time that was published in five states, and in Kentucky it was published in both Lexington and Louisville. Wasn't on staff, but I was a contributing writer, and some of these cases would be published in Snitch. So there was a lot of material out there, even from a state with you know, somewhere around maybe a little bit less than four million people. So yeah, there's just some real, you know, bizarre stuff that's happened. And then, like I say, everything has them. And for people who want to take the time to track those strange cases down over years, they can come up with some really wild stuff. Mm hm.
Speaker 7: Now I racked my brain to say what we talked about just briefly before the program, and I said, what would really tie all these cases together? What real theme is there? And there really isn't any other than there from Kentucky. But also there's these stories, and I want to warn anybody that's gonna, you know, listen to this that really the thing that ties these things together is they're right out of the Twilight Zone. If people remember what that is in terms of never mind twists and turns. These are truly you've really managed to come up with some strange and bizarre cases. So let's get to this one. And for those that really don't know, because we do have a younger some people are younger that listen to this program, and some people are older like me. But anyway I wanted to ask was for those that don't know the Alfred Hitchcock rear window reference, let's talk about this case and the witness and the entire case itself with Heather Tigue one day at this Newbird Beach in Henderson. So tell us a little bit about this and a little bit about Tim Waltall, who an interesting character in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting it's a really interesting case. This is one case where there had been nothing written about it outside of some squibs and some newspapers. I had to piece the entire story together from interviews of Kentucky State Police officers and the course from Tim Walthall and his wife Karen. Heather Tigue was a pretty girl and she had you know, she was just like anybody, and she was you know, she was in her I can't remember. I think she was like twenty two, twenty three. I'd have to check. It's been so many years since I've actually written the case. I've been I've done so many things since then. But she was just a young girl. She was so kind of trying to find her way in life. But she took a Saturday, a really nice day in August and went to a place called Newburgh Beach, which was at the Ohio River at Henderson, Kentucky, and of course across the river is Indiana. Well, this beach would occasionally be the spot for people to come. You know, kids would come and you know, drink beer at night, and some people had got involved with drugs. They would come up and a lot of those activities occurred at night. On the day she was there, there were the spot that she went to. She had to actually park her car along an access road that was shrouded in trees. And when she parked her car, there were other cars that either were parked there or would soon be parked there. And there were some kids riding some ATVs mall terrain vehicles about a half a mile upstream from her, and they would occasionally come down near to her, and I'm sure that they never even saw her. Well, what she did, she got a chase lounge, and she got her cooler and her cow, and she went and placed the chase lounge at the bottom, right at the water's edge so she could dangle her feet in it. Now across the river. I say this in the book because she would have noticed the homes across across the river. It's like a half a mile two quarters of a mile. She really wouldn't have paid a whole lot of attention to them. And they're really nice homes, but if there's nobody out there and nobody can see you, it's very private. She wouldn't paid a lot of attention to them. Whatever was this man named Tim Waltle, He used to he had a telescope that was in his living room and they had a large window there, and he used to love to look at the wild lines, and when people weren't around, there would be deer and he might have seen coorities, but there was a lot of wildlife and he enjoyed looking at that. Well, this was a Saturday. He has wife had been out working in the yard, and so when she went to fix them some hamburgers, he came in from the yard and sat down and he saw he was looking through there, and he happened to spot this woman that was laying there on the beach, and he would have even seen her except he was he had seen a kid coming down on an ATV, and as he got near to her, he spotted her, and he happened to mention to his wife, there there's there's a lady laying out there all alone. And he thought it was kind of odd, because, like I said, at nighttime anyway, there were in Savory characters that would come around there, but this was a beautiful day. Well, he had only been looking at her a few minutes, but he he spot on a man crouching in the woods looking at her, and his first thought was, well, maybe he knows her. And then the guy's stands up and he takes and she can't see him. She's unbuttoned the back of her top, her bathing suit top. It's a two piece so that she would get an even tan, and she was laying face down on the chase lounds. So he starts bounding hand of the woods, takes about ten steps and stops, and then he takes another. Finally he gets to her, and Walfall said to me, he said, you know, I thought for a second maybe it's her boy's hand. Then he saw her, saw him bend down and took his hand, and he wrapped her hair around his wrists and arm, and then he saw that the man had a gun in his hand. Well, the girl was soon abducted and he yanked her up off the chair and get and there's nobody seeing this but Tim Walfall, And within moments he had got her out of sight and they were gone. So he calls the as I recalled the Indiana State Police, they said, well, that's not our jurisdiction. So they transferred in the Kentucky State Police. And you know a lot of times operators will they'll take their time, and they wanted from He said, I gotta talk to somebody now. A's a girl that's been abducted. So we got a hold of a man that the commander of posts I believed he was sixteen of the Kentucky State Police. I got him at David Osborne and he showed him in. So that's how that case began, and that I'm going to give you time. They asked questions, but that that girl has never been located. But over a period of days, a suspect appeared because of some anonymous calls, and then he had been a suspect in some other things. It's never been proven that he's done this, but his name was Martin and he called him Marty Dill. And there's the police believe there's a lot of circumstantial evidence against him. So whoever got this girl, they got her out of the way. Osborne, you know, he got his men together and man, they just so I did it. They got to that uh, well, I'm sorry, I had to back up a little bit. As he was as Osborne was gathering his men, he said, I think one of my troopers is over there. It just came from Newburg beak and and and then this was nineteen ninety five, he said, And he has a stop bone, so he said, so he said, I'm uh uh, I guess he had him call him. So uh he called him, and Tim couldn't see his patrol car approaching, but he said, I saw a plume of dust coming up over the trees, and I knew that was him. And within a few minutes to compet parked his car just about where Heather's car was, and we're other cars there too. Came down through there, and Osborne is talking on the phone, and he's talking on his cell phone to to I mean Osborne. He Tim Malthall and and the police officer are talking and Tim is actually showing him where to go on the beach so he doesn't miss the girl's stuff. And then he said, oh, I see it, I've got it. And within no time Osborne came down there, and so then then that you know happened, and they stopped a couple of cars, but this guy was long gone. Now, there was a man that was videotaping that morning because the ATVs I mentioned there were a lot of kids that were tearing up land using those vehicles, and uh so a farmer had hired this guy to videotape and he had accidentally left his video tape, his video re her on and pasted it on the dashboard and he passed down this this this access road, and he called Heather's car and he actually caught her and did this was I guess this is? Yeah, this that morning when she was getting out of the car, and there was also a red and white Bronco that was parked there. And they believe whoever was driving that Bronco is the one who abducted Heather t. And it turns out that they put out you know, uh, you know the what's the thing, the facial things, you know Commas description of the Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they put that out and they got a call like a couple of days later and said there's a guy that pits the description. It's an anonymous call. He said, his name is Marvin Dill. They call him Marty, and he drives a red and white broncle. Well, this guy, you know, so they start the wheels kind of moving in this direction, right. They also obtained information that this Dell fella uh is also and this all happened very quickly, had also been a suspect in a sexual attack on a woman a number of months early in a cemetery in Kentucky. Issue was cutting grass, and he was a suspect in this other attack because there was there were anonymous calls there as well.
Speaker 7: And I'm sorry, go ahead, sorry did but did Tim? What was when Tim did the composite it? When he was given the photo of this deal Old Marty Dill, what did he then say?
Speaker 2: Well, here's what he said about that, and and and he set up the uh, the the telescope for me. I was able to look through it when I was there interview on that too. You know, you can see everything. I mean, it's really clear. You can so this kind an abducted head of tea. He said. I could see the body shape, the protruding belly. I could see the shorts heat war very clearly.
Speaker 7: He said.
Speaker 2: The only thing I couldn't see clearly, and I couldn't understand this was his face. At some point it looked like he had a beard of something, he said, but it wasn't clear, but I could see everything else. Now. He couldn't find any answer for that, and he told the police that, but he said everything else was clear. Well, Bill, who was a suspect in a sexual in this sexual assault in a cemetery uh in Kentucky a number of months before. And you know, the girl could not completely identify him there either, because the guy that wore the guy that did that to her had like a fish netting thing on his face, like a hatn't like some fish net and so it acted yeah, yeah, yeah, So she wasn't quite sure. She couldn't say for a certainty. Well, it turns out this still fella before the abduction of Heather Thieves had also gotten in trouble in Evansville, Indiana, for he had been circling a place called Haini's Corner and it appeared that he was trying to pick up girls, and so he was pulled over by the police in Evansville. And the first thing the officer did, he said, you have any weapons on you? He said no, and he said, well, I needed to get out of your truck, and he did, and they did a check of the seat and under the seat, and they found two pistols and then they checked and found a knife in his pocket. So he was immediately under arrest. But the interesting thing was, and I talked to the detective, the evens the detective about this, but they found in his pocket duct tape, and they found a rope and a shovel and plastic bags in his car. And I asked the detective about that, and here's what he said to me. He said, well, you know, I thought this guy was gonna take a girl, and if we didn't arrest him, he's going to kill somebody today because here, you know, like the friend, he's lying about weapons, he's circling Haiti's corner, he's trying to pick up girls. He's got duct tape on him, he's got rope, he's got a shovel, he's got plastic bags. I felt like he's going to kill somebody today. So that's what he told me. That's what it looked like. That's I'm sure that's what it looked like to the patrol officers. So he made bail at court. They'd coming up and when he left Indiana he would never step but back in Indiana again, he got back to Kentucky and then this other stuff happens. But when everything's and this is very curious because there's no hard evidence against Bill, but there's a ton of circumstantial evidence inasmuch as there's people calling and reporting him. There is the body type that Walthall saw when Walthall, when all this was over and he got the view Deill, he could see that it was the same, and there were some other circumstances as well well. All this happened over a period of about four days where it really started coming down on Bill, I think, and I had to check the book, but I think they got it. The five anonymous calls from different people about about Martyville and the possibility of him being involved in the abduction of Edity. So the police, you know, got a warrant, and before they went out to his property, they got a call from Dell's attorneys. Sadil was threatening suicide. He had put his wife and child off of the land. He lived on land about two acres that had been deeded to him from his father father owned about twenty two acres and he needed an over of years before there's a couple of acres to his son, and I think he had a trailer and he and his wife and his child limber. So the attorney said, he's threatened to kill himself and he told his wife. I'm looking at ten to twenty and I'm not going. Well, that's part of the substantial evidence against them. This guy is showing all the signs of having done something very bad. I mean, if Bill had not in their minds, if Bill had not been involved with this, why would he be putting his wife and daughter of property making statements like I'm looking at end, I'm looking at I'm sorry, I'm looking at twenty of the life and I'm not going if he hadn't done something terrible. Oh Osborne, who was at the helm of this, he went very slowly with They got the warm.
Speaker 8: Wait, the lucky landslots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 9: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting.
Speaker 8: Lucky py for free. At lucky Landslipes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 4: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 4: Are you a fist pumper, a wooer, a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever. At Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: Noill were necessary, dally void where everybody lost in terms of conditions eating plus.
Speaker 2: They sent men ahead of even the warrant to make sure that he didn't leave. They had already been told by the attorney that the bronco is on the back portion of the property. Somebody had said ye had been hiding it, and so they went out there and kill wouldn't come out of this trailer. His spot was out there withining his uncle was out there with hing. His uncle had been talking to police, and his father came out and his uncle went back in. And his uncle had only been in this trailer for a few minutes when he got a gunshot, and the uncle ran out screaming he you know, he shot himself and everybody. And then then then you know, some people ran the other way, the people that were just there, but Osborne and everybody else ran into the trailer. And Bill had shot himself in the head with probably a twenty two caliber pistol and he expired soon after that. So this all happened late in the evening. So Walthall got a phone call in the middle of the night and he said, uh, Marvin Dill's dead. I was one told Walfall that Dyl's dead, and he said, I'd like you to take a look at the body, and Walkow said I will. He said, I'll have one of the patrol officers come over and kid, and he had some lady patrol officer. She came over and got him. But before he got off the phone, Walthall I asked him, he said, did Dale say anything about other said no, said nothing to anybody who just killed himself. So the officer drives him over to the funeral home and the medical examiner was, I think he had already performed the autopsy on Bill. He looked at the body type, everything that he had described to Osborne. According to Osborne, was fulfilled in Dil's body type the way he was. Now. It's not hard evidence, but they were satisfied. So the patrol officer said, are you sure that this is the man you saw through the telescope? He said yes. She said, are you one hundred percent sure? He said, how can anybody be one hundred percent sure of anything? But yes? And I remember Walthall telling me that when he heard that he was a suspect in this rape, in this cemetery war where the person who did this war a fish net, you know, net like a mosquito net across the face. He said, that was why I had trouble seeing the face. So I say in the story that all we know for sure, and I name a number of things off about this is that you know, she's she's gone, she's dead, and for someone known reason, he called himself before he could be questioned by the police. So it's a case that's never going anywhere. You know, he walthough even and he helped Heather's mother for about the years, you know, this calendar business, and he had the money to do it, and he organized searchers and paid for those. He hired several psychics. Nothing came herd that he thought something was going to come out at one point it didn't. But he did everything that he could and they've never found this girl. Well, what's interesting is that, you know, in most cases these abductions, they say that the victims are good within silver hours. I mean that's not always the rule, of course, but a lot of times they are. I will say this. They when oze I had forgotten to mention this because he was the only person that saw the killer, even if he didn't get the greatest look. When Osbourne got to the beach that day, both couldn't stand just standing there anymore. He just couldn't take it just talking over the phone, so he got in his boat. A neighbor went with him and he went across the river and then Osborne they walked around to where there was like a sandburm some that was blocking and this person who abducted the other to get taken her that way and she went out of sight. Well, when they went to that area where they had to have gone, where they were no longer in his view from across to her, they said that the sand was very gouged up in many places where they were struggling, and you know, her feet were digging in and he was maybe losing his balance because he had a gun on her, but he didn't shoot her there, but he was wasting no time with what he wanted to do because he had ripped off her bottoms there. So however, he transported her conscious or unconscious to the vehicle. Whoever did this to her, she was already nude, and of course he whoever this was, had to take her to his car and take a chance on being seen. They had scoured that area, they could not find her remains, and I can't imagine whoever did this, for example, raping her and killing her within two or three hundred yards of there and then during the body I just don't think that would have happened. Besides, there was a vehicle seen to be leaving soon afterwards, and awarding to one witness, it was that red and white Bronco, So it looks like that, you know, they told me at the at the State Police over there when I interviewed him and they take it, I taped it. There was about, you know, eight of them in there, six to eight of them patrol mem maybe a detective or two. And within at Osborne, I was able to my research to come up with some material that surprised them. And asked me how I got that information. I said, by interviewing people. They said, well, that has to be because it was not in our reports. But I identified that they know, this girl that lived through the cemetery attack, knows what kind of pistol he had, and I believe it was a silver one silver revolver. I believe. I had to check the book. But the two weapons that still had on him in Evansville were a blue steel one was I think guitar. I swowed something else and I think that they might have been both automatics, but they were not silver. But I believe the gun that Walfall saw, I had to check the look again that was also silver. Anyway, there was a few things that came up with and I also learned the name of his boyfriend, who incidentally was supposed to meet her later that day at the beach. Of course, you know if he showed up and I never talked to him. There was a just a just a whole party of police by that time. But what was interesting is that when the news cruise showed up and started filming and there's Osborne standing with Walfall, he told Walfall, he said, you need to go back to your home. You're the only person that's seen this individual, and it's going to be all over the news. So we'd rather you go back home, and we don't want this guy searching you out so that you'll become a second victim. But most of these men who kill women, they're afraid of and they're not going to bother that. They're too busy bothering women. He that as it may, he didn't want any undue trouble coming to Walfall. But it's a very very strange case with no and it's completely open. Officially, the case is still open. But all the police officer said me, that's official. We all know who did it. That was their statement, and you know, I can read between the lines. It's a close case. It's like an OJ thing. When they lost the case against OJ, the LAPD didn't go looking for the cole Browns killer, it didn't happen. So in their minds it's a case like that. But like I say, it's circumstantial evidence that it's sure is a terrible thing. And so what would have cause Dell to kill himself? What would have caused dil to say I'm looking at twenty to life and I'm not going. So that's what we're left with.
Speaker 7: Was there really did you find any evidence that the police acted untowards in terms of making threat based on that criminal sexual background that he had, in the circumstantial evidence that they thought they really had, including the Red Bronco and the videotape of the Red Bronco, could they have pushed him into suicide or no?
Speaker 2: Well, no, they were real delicate. Now, something did happen. They had their lights on, the trailer had gone on and off a couple of times, and there were some people that later said that was like black ops or whatever that the police were doing. But Osborne told me, he said, you wouldn't have done that. Listen. Osborne told me, he said, you know, we had the warrant. We could have gone on the property, knocked on the door and said we're coming in. They did not do that they waited office property, and then Osborne was way back from the trailer, ended up with some of these other officers talking to Dyl's father. So there was no threatening stuff going on. Were taking their time when you have a warrant, and you know they could have pickn on one of those things in Basketdora. Instead we're coming in guns blazing, not firing, but Bill pointed a deal. They chose not to do that. So some people think that the police caused this, but it didn't. And I think what caused it is is that whatever was bothering dial he didn't want to talk about anything about Newburg Beach or dis missing girl. And again you got to read between the lines. If he thought it was a parking ticket, He's not going to send a piece of lead through his head. So that's why he did it now, and I'm sure his wife understands why he did it. She had asked him if he had been to Newburgh Beach once these calls started coming to anything started eating up, and I can't remember. He may have denied it. Now. I spoke with Detective Lanny Allen, who went to see this. You know, when he became a suspect in this attack on this woman in the cemetery. He said, you know, he said his body fit the description. He already knew about the vision. Now she couldn't quite see all the face, but his body tie fit the subscription of what the what the lady gave him. Now, he took some polaroids of Dill and Bill, you know, did not object to that, and he when he showed it to her, she said, I can't really say for sure, which was strange because aster Bill killed himself and his picture showed up in the paper. She said, I don't know why. I said, I couldn't identify him from the polaroids, because that's the guy, and I've got the report. And in Lanny Allen's report, he said, after he said this, the suspect in this case, meaning the cemetery attack, took his life as officers were trying to serve warrants on his property. And you know, this case is closed. So in Lanny Allen's mind, there is no doubt who attacked the woman in the cemetery. In the Kentucky State Police, all these officers that worked the case, there is no doubt in their minds who killed Heather t. They just can't come out and say it. And the people that arrested him in Indiana, Listen, if you notice whoever did these things, sexual attack in the cemetery, the woman was allowed to go, whoever did it? Arrest in Utah? I mean you, Thomas to think about the funny case arrest in Evansville had to do with there's a shovel, there's the rope, there's a duct date. Who knows why did he have that? Well, let's read between the lines and so if that, you know, if that was for the various reasons, and if they're right about him having been involved in the Adite case, if they're right about that, I don't know. If they're right about that like they think they are, then it might have a bad end. All we know is she's gone and has never been found, and he killed himself because he didn't want to talk about her or Newburg Beach.
Speaker 7: What's that's most interesting is the What's it most interesting though, too, is the vivid portrayal of how the real haunted character in this is Tim waltole In. You know, it's he's going to carry this grave and you know.
Speaker 2: He's very affected by it. Yeah, Yeah, In fact, he doesn't use the I asked his wife recently about it. It's funny I never asked her back then, but I originally wrote this story. Probably she ten twelve years ago. No, No, I'd say about I'd say about fifteen years ago. And then I touched it up and had some new stuff to it. But I asked her about it a few months ago. She said, no, he put that up about four months after this happened. It kind of ruined it for him. You know, it's like you can't go home again. And he never expected to see that. And like I say, that's why I said, it was like it was just it was like something out of Alfred Ditchcock. You know the movie Rear Window that the guy sees from his window. He's laid up with a broken leg and he's in this department complexes. He's want to cross away from him. A murderer curs and so it's one of those deals and the only person that sees it is a guy sitting with a broken leg. And here, in Tim's case, he's just like, just think about it. If he wouldn't have seen this, nobody would. The only thing they thought is she's gone. They wouldn't know anything, and whoever did it would just be out there killing again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and he has so many unanswered questions. It's not like he witnesses the murder. He just witnesses an abduction. Then he then he doesn't know anything.
Speaker 2: No, and where her body is only God knows because they had just done one search after another. And I mean that's the thing. If you go back to the Bundy case, as we've talked about, he said once people that Ibari had never been founded. If you take the time to bury, there's a good chance they'll never be found. If the found that they might be found accidentally. It's even sometimes when you leave bodies in rurle the most areas, the animals will take care of them and even the remains may never be found, maybe years before somebody comes across something that even resembles a human bone, or they may never But whatever happened to Heather Tigue, she was probably hastily buried. And you know, so that's just it.
Speaker 7: Now. I want to move on and just cover a few more stories and this incredible collection. Yeah, but I like the story. The next story that you have in the Valley Drive in Double Murders. This is a really tragic story, but again super twisted. So let's talk about that. Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was eighteen years old when that happened, and I, you know, I was born and raised in Louisville, and I've been to the Valley Drive in many times. It is on the outskirts. It's gone now, but it's kind of like on the outskirts of Louisville along a road called Dixie Highway, which Dixie Highway leads from Louisville and goes all the way to Radcliffe and the Fort Knox and so. But this thing kind of fat out on the edge of Louisville. And this was one of the cases that was I didn't know where to get the information. I was talking to my friend who's now to Seas, James Matthew, who actually is the fellow that introduced me to Jerry Thompson. I got the bunding, you know, murders rolling. And I asked him one day, I said, do you remember this case where they had a couple of picke attackers abducted from a driving on different nights. He said, oh, yeah, I do, And I couldn't remember the date. I wasn't sure and it was a June and it was June. Couldn't remember if it was seventy three or not. I wasn't sure. But there were some particulars that I didn't know about it, but he was able to remind me of some names. And then and then when I got those names and of like the killers, and I had a firm date and I was able to check some stuff. I went to the Jefferson County Police Department. And that was before Jefferson County and Louisville combined and now they're just Louisville Metro and yeah, and the Jefferson County Police Department they had trouble finding this in the archives. There had never been anything else written about this case. And so I got the file too that they finally located the file. And for those who read the story, it's really se real. There were these two losers and there's no death penalty at the time, so they've been sentenced to lives. But James FactCheck and Danny Lee Petrick and Petrick had already open people and you know, but up until this time, I don't think he had committed a murder. But the if everybody, of course, the younger people don't really understand drive ins. I mean, I sure they know something about them, because he used to be very, very popular, and many drive ins. You'd go into them a lot of times. The ticket booth would be a little bit down the gravel road and not connected to some of the main buildings, like what they sell popcorn and all that stuff. Right, And there was this really sweet girl she had she was in her senior year, Rita Robbins, And I got the case file, you know, you got you can't go over this stuff without thinking of the family, thinking of the parents. How terrible, terrible this was. When I originally wrote this, it was thirty years after A yeah this is published and snitched this story back in two thousand and three, and it it was, it was the lead article. And when I got the case file, and I, uh, because we're all the pictures of the uh, the pictures of the bodies being on the earth, and the pictures of these these two missed it, and how they were arrested and all that stuff. But there was a picture that was this is really said it was. It was it was her high school picture for the year, and it had I think Rita had just picked it up like the day or maybe maybe a few days before, and you know it, the pictures had just come out, and so when this happened and their daughter went missing, and that's what ultimate happened. And that's why I'll get to and to turn in one of these pictures to the police. And I recognized what other pictures was at the moment I saw it, but it's in the police property. It's part of the case style, so I was able to republish it. Uh, you know. But what happened was these two guys robbed and kidnapped this rider, John Robbins, from the ticket place one night. And it's very rural, and they pulled out of the gravel driveway and if you take a right, you're heading back into a lot of stuff and you'll ultimately go into the city of Louisville. You take a left, you're headed out into like within a couple of blocks, you're out of Jefferson County and you're in the next county. I think it's Bullock. And they took her to a secluded place and they counted up. You know, she was trying to play along with them. I don't think she I don't think she believed she was going to be murdered, and if it was left up to Patrick, she probably wouldn't have been murdered. They're both cycle paths. But after she and she was kind of they said, making a joke, but counting up the money, splitting the money between them, trying to do whatever she could not to upset them. And with that, sef Jack took her in the car, may her get undressed, and he raped her, and then he got out in the car and he said she's gonna be killed now, so miss It was sef Check's proclamation, if you will, that the girl should die, and he grants her with both his arms behind her arms and kept screaming, three or four times, kill her, kill her. Pilbooks and Patrick had this and there's a picture of it in the book, this really long knife, and he had carved a swastip, painted the swastika on her. He was in the Nazism. Is he just a little missfit and he stands her. I don't know. I think it's like ten or twelve times, and the girl collapsed against the car, got blown in the car. It was killed right. Well, you know she's missing. Nobody knows.
Speaker 9: Lucky Land Casino asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 8: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 4: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 8: You do?
Speaker 4: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 9: Really?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 9: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 6: I never win and tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 4: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 9: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: We're just necessary foid were my long eighteen plus terms conditions plus what's every details?
Speaker 10: You're dedicated to building a bright financial future. Grow your investments with millibanks High Yield Savings account. Earn a highly competitive annual percentage yield with no fees or minimums. Getting started is simple to download the app, link your account and start growing your money. Welcome to a new way to save more for the things that matter most. Welcome to Millibang, visit Milly dot bank or download the milli app today.
Speaker 2: Why she's missing? Some people think, well, maybe she just you know, took the money out of cash tor On left, But that didn't make any sense because her car was still sitting there. The purse was still sitting in the booth. It didn't make any sense. About two weeks later, Roll Shoemaker a soldier of Fort Knox. You know, it's not that far from Fort Knox. He used to work part time there, and in fact, he was getting ready to leave the military. He was, you know, I don't believe discharge. He was getting ready to have all that happened. He was going to move to Louisville. He's gonna keep working at the drive here, and then he was going to enroll at the University of Louisville, and he was ultimately one of an attorney. Well, two weeks later he disappears and it's the same too. They got him and they murdered him. He was very nervous that night, extremely nervous, very on edge, as if you know, some people get premonition sometimes that something bad is coming. I personally think that Shoemaker had that. You know, there was a woman that worked in a bag here in Louisville a number of years ago on channeli's lane here in Louisville, and she said she kept feeling for months, I need to leave this job. I need to leave this job. I need to transfer to another bank. I keep having a really bad feeling about me working here. She never did anything about it. The bank was robbed one day. One of the robbers hopped over where she was and shot her and killed her. Wow, these things come to people sometimes as warnings, and I think that, well, a shoemaker had a premonition that something was going to go wrong, and it did, and they murdered him as well. Now these people, you know, if you look at Patrick, he's covered in tattoos, He's just covered. He's got even upsecene words on his body. I mean, these guys are the dregs of society. Now, later, as they were captured again, there were people calling up and saying, look, there's a couple guys that were are boasting that they killed these two young people. And apparently some of the young people found out where shoemaker was and they had gone and dared the body if that's not strange, but hadn't yet called the police. And so these two brilliant people said check and Patrick, they say, well, you know, it was our plan to keep going back to the same location and keep abducting ticket pickers. So apparently they were working us up after two. Now it's interesting because when I got the police report, I'm reading through it right, and it actually goes it says at one point, it says they weren't sure if there was a foul play or not. They're still thinking that maybe she took off, maybe Shoemaker took off, and maybe they're together, and I'm thinking, hold the phone. And then as the report goes on a little bit, he said, but all this is speculation, he said, we must assume that foul play, you know, is a part of this until we know otherwise. I thought, well, thank god for that. I don't think I put that in a chapter. But that's how they're interesting. I found the report. If I was the detective on that case, I would have assumed there was foul play from the moment I saw the circumstances. I wouldn't have considered that anything else until evidence said otherwise. But listen, no matter what air searches they did or ground searches, nothing, So they start getting calls about these two misfits, and so they bring these guys in on some other charges. I think Patrick had an outstanding war so they brought him in and pretty soon they broke him down. It took a while, but they broke him down, and Patrick actually admitted to I believe it was the lead detective. He said, he shaw, and I've gotten in the book. I've got the quote from the detective. But he feels like that he felt bad about maybe having done these things, and that he needed to get the girl home so our parent's going to have a proper burial. And so, you know, when this thing was published in Snitch, you know, I always aware if there's any family members that are still around, how they're going to receive something. And there were some people that called. I got a call from the editor one day and he said, where did you get the picture of reader Joan Robinson. I said, I got it from the Jefferson County Police Department. It's a matter of public record now. He said, you did get it from the Jefferson County Police I said absolutely. He was concerned that I might have gotten it from somewhere else and published it without the permission of the family, because somebody apparently in the family was very upset. I said, I'm really sorry. They got a beef. They need to take it up with them because they never retrieved that photograph. It became part of the public record. So I said, they're not going to do any I told the editor. I said, there's not really anything anybody can do. But some people were sorry. Now, most people that read the article were glad to read the article because they nobody ever really knew the full story about it. These guys took a plea market. There was no trial. There are no transcripts there. There is typically the police file, and that's what I was able to get. Had had I not gotten the police file, this stuff would have gone down to the dust of history. I mean it was. They would have been forgotten except for little incidentals that there was once a driving here in lil Ar. Two people were taking the murder. But this is no lot out there on. So I've heard from a lot of people that remember that case. A lot of people knew the killers. They certainly knew Brida John Robbins, and not a lot of people except for those that were to drive in New Orleans Shoemaker, but came in in their lives just got stuffed out like that.
Speaker 9: And uh.
Speaker 2: Within this also, which you'll probably want to talk about, is the cheerleader one, which was really the toughest one for me to write. That's where I get into it. Yeah, what I want to do is follow the flow that you're in. So if you have any other questions about that or anything, I did you think I didn't couple on the driving killers the spiral away? You know, I'll add to it.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 7: What I just wanted to ask with this last story was, you know, you talk about these these guys being losers. We're talking. How much money were we talking here? I don't want to say the number, but I got you to say the number. What kind of money were we talk when these masterminds were coming up with of all the places and what was there? Why why this place? Just because of the remote?
Speaker 2: Well, here's the deal. You know people that hunt other people, if they're smart, they won't always hunt in their area. These guys hunted in their area. They hunted and you know within miles of places that they would go to and frequent listen to Dixie Highway? Is you know this driving's rag off of it? I can't remember. I had a month or two before this. He had stamped some guy. He didn't kill him as he was robbing him. That too, was a long Dixie Highway, and so these guys are living their lives in this area and they're also committing crimes in the same area. They're not very bright individuals, but you know, a smart killer will go other places and not and conceal themselves, and they certainly won't talk about their murders. But these guys ran their mouths, so that's what really here. Again, the bodies were sequestered somewhere and buried in shallow grays. Had Petric and stepcheck Nott talked, they probably wouldn't have found the bodies, and they might not have found them. They might have been arrested for the murders later. But they ran their mouths. But they were working in so that's why they chose this drive in. I think they felt comfortable taking the ticket takers because they were all alone. And I think Rita was grabbed around eleven o'clock between eleven and eleven fifteen. The people that on the drive in their name was Hornsby and the wife I think she left around eleven or six, said she had to run home for Sumpie and she would be back. By the time she got back, Rita was gone, and one of the workers there had come down to the booth and giving Rita like a nice cold you know, seven up to drink, and that appeared to be untouched. So she disappeared very quickly and in Okay, here's the thing. Here's the police will tell you Trey has a gun on you get in the car. No, you run, Oh well they might shoot me. They're going to kill you if you get in the car. Yeah, let them fire. Let them not fire. Chances are if they hit you, they're going to wound you. But if you get in the car, you're dead. This is how this stuff worked. I guarantee you Ronald Shoemaker, would I've run along the gravel. They might have fired a shot at him, but they might have just got in the car and left. But when you get in the car, you are dead. But people get frightened, they don't know what to do. That's what Shoemaker did. That's what Rita did. So these guys, everything was going their way, and they're so brilliant that they thought, let's just keep coming back to the same drive in kind of like the guy that keeps coming back to the same store and robbing it over and over again. So I mean that's how they think.
Speaker 7: Yeah, incredible credible starting. And you know it's really the super sad aspect of it is that especially Rita, she's just been working at this job a few days. He's seventeen years old. I don't think he can get me innocent, sweet and innocent. And for a while though too they have to look in her background. Possibly he's involved in a robbery and there's or anything else because they have to take whatever they have in terms of ev and so thank god these losers did have a big mouth.
Speaker 2: Yes, because they would have killed again. And yeah, check Setcheck was the one who egged it on. And that's why I stay in the book. I had to provide the captions really for all the books I write. You know, he's it the right. It provides them usually and I talk about how and this is true. Septcheck liked to watch murders unfold, but he didn't want to do it. He liked to watch them and fold. He never killed any of these people. He had Tatrick kill them. And Tetric didn't rape the girl, but Septchak did. But Septcheck one of them. They're both cyclepaths. But you know, he was the one that egged Tetrick on to do this, and yeah, there's just really something now. Had the death penalty, of course, Kentucky's bad about putting people to death. I mean, we've got people going death for all, you know, thirty years here. I mean, we're almost as bad as California. But had the death penalty been in play, these guys, you know, they would have Old Spark, you would have you know, gotten them by now or maybe the Gray. But and believe me, these people need to be dead. They need to be under the soil and they don't need to be breathing air. That's just the way it is with these folks. But because the death penalty was on hiatus as it were, and we were in between things, there's nothing else they could do with them but give them life.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Absolutely, Now we talked about the Death of a Cheerleader and your other just for our audience. They're curious, they're they're curious. The other chapters that called The Mother's Love and which is alluded to in the synopsis, Doctor Strange and the Seventh Head, and then the Sleepover, which was also alluded to. But let's talk about, like you said, they're very, very difficult to write Death of a Cheerleader Uh, tell us about why what what? Why did this case uh interest you so much?
Speaker 2: What was the case itself?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was a girl. Her name is Sarah Hanson from Greenville, Kentucky, and she's a She was a really sweet kid, a good kid. She was an honor student. She was in band. She was just a really really good girl, very active. She left her home one night, she to return a but to rent a video. She had a boyfriend, and her boyfriend was coming over that night, and he was very busy with stuff he was doing. This was, I guess a Saturday, and she had come with her. She was on a cheerleading team. She she had been involved in the competition. She'd come to Louisville and they won their competition here in Louisville, and they went back that night. So she wanted to watch a movie with her boyfriend. So she goes to a place called the Minute Mark in this little town, I want to say, sleepy down. A nice community, certainly not the place, I don't think. They had had a homicide in the city for about fourteen fifteen years and certainly nothing diabolical, you know, nothing like that which was about to happen. And she went to return this movie and just call it the way I think. But there was a guy in there, and this came out later, and he he saw her and he mentioned to somebody in there. He said, boy, but I like to have a piece of that. And he left the minute mark before she did. And there was one witness that said that she that this purpose witness said, I saw somebody crouching by Sarah Hanson's van, but when Sarah came out, apparently he wasn't right there. But I think Sarah may have because of the familiarity of where she was and she knew people in there, and it's a nice little town. She may have left the door unlocked and he got in the van. He got in the back of it, and when she comes out, she's abducted. And the murder. When the paper first reported on the murder, again, this is the thing where you know, I hear a newspaper report. They had it wrong on how she was killed, but they talked about how mirandas it was, it bothered me so much when I heard it, I thought, if I don't whether I write about it or not, I got to find out what happened to this girl. I just for my own self. I got to find out what happened to this girl and mine. So I started investigating the case, and I started making calls, and I talked to a couple officers from the department, and I was able to get the transcript oddly enough released to me because it was not yet a part of the public record, because he hasn't been put to death yet. But it was in the hands of his attorney, and this guy actually released it to me, and he let me go through the transcripts and I had some so I had these things. I had a lot of interviews. I was able to copy a lot of stuff, and I pieced everything together as to what happened. It's really if you read the chapter, it's almost like a moment by moment day. Now what bothered me is that, I mean, I've written a lot about murder, and I've you know, done the Bundy Murders, and if anybody's read my book, The Bundy Murders of Comprehensions History, I go into great detail as to what happened to his victims. And this is just the kind of sociopath psychopath that we're dealing with. But this particular murder really troubled me, and I really it's the only time this's ever happened to me. A couple of nights, I woke up in a cold sweat breathing r just a cold sweat, because it was on my mind, most troubling thing to write about this particular girl. And I won't go into great detail here because people read it, they'll understand the way this guy he took her. He forced her to drive to lose her in the lake, which was on the outskirts of town, and he attacked her with a box cutter, and he raped her on the back seat, and he cut her throat, but he did not kill her. It took a while for her to bleed out. She didn't lose consciousness, She didn't sever an artery. It was so bad that they matched the blood pattern from the neck on the front on the It was like a three seat van, I guess, and he had pushed her neck up against it as he raped it from behind. He tore her brawl, he tore her pants off, such physical fourth force. The blood pattern, well, she did not die for quite some time. You know, a number of I don't know, fifteen twenty minutes, I don't know the attack was over, he was dragging it to the lake. Finally, as he was dragging it to the lake, she finally. I don't know if she completely expired by the time he threw in the water, but I can't remember. I have to check my own books. She might have taken it from the breast in the water, she might have had some water in her lungs. I can't remember. It was the most horrible. It's one thing to be killed, it's another thing to be killed like that. And so you know, I wrote the story on it, and I remember interviewing this also was in Snitch and the story, the story I wrote is perfect. They sent somebody down there and interview a couple of people, and they got some information wrong when they went down there, but they didn't find that van for a couple of hours after searching for her. And when they send somebody down there, somebody told them all other family van in a few minutes. That's not true. I've spoken to the officer, Doug West, and West was a seasoned officer. He really didn't have a lot of homicides. You know, he's used to stuff. He's used to come it up on creepy scenes we're out looking for this girl. And Officer Harvey's out, the Officer West is out. Family members are out. And West told me, he said, you know, I thought I would go to the lake just to see, just to see. He said. As I rolled in, it's all dark, and I think it's around ten o'clock down, he says.
Speaker 7: I rolled in.
Speaker 2: My lights shine on the van ahead of me, and he said, I could see that the driver's side door was open and there was no life of anybody around. He said, you know, I've never had a problem with fear, he said, but I got to tell you that bothered me. He said, I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. So he got, you know, he pulled his he drew his service weapon, and he you know, which is wise because you don't know what's out there. And so as he approached the van, his lights are still in the van. He could see that there was a lot of blood on the side of the outside of the van. He also looked in, and when he looked into the van, he said, there's this blood everywhere. There's this blood everywhere. There's putting the back seat, there's blood in the front seat, and what I found out is that from the evidence, she fought him, even though her throat didn't be slice, even though her windpipe was sticking out, she fought him and tried to drive that van out of there, and that's why there's all this blood in the front seat area. Where she got the strength to do this, I don't know. And the blow on the outside of the van came from when she was taken and he was pulling her along the van. Maybe I think she might have even then tried to break away and he pulled her back. I don't know, but she was able to walk and be you know, it wasn't a full drag. She was trying the effort to go along. And then when Ulficer Harvey got there, he had West secure that Porslau the scene, and Harvey reported that after a while it was his drag marks. It had gone from two people walking or basically one with feet marks, you know, on the ground, stumbling whatever, to just drag marks. He was dragging a body and she still may not have been dead, but she was not able to resist her to do anything. And so yeah, it's it's a it's the worst kind of murder that I've heard of. I mean, it's just it's just really bad. So anyway, when I was doing this, I don't normally bother the family, but it's a small town, and so I thought, you know, I kind of and maybe this was I would be naive, but I thought, maybe I owe it to the parents. I know they've heard about me. I know they've already heard about me. To call them up and just to introduce myself and see if they needed to ask me any questions. I've called one morning and she answered the phone, and she got her husband on the phone, and they were both on different phones, and we were talking about it, and I found out Then you feel so sorry for these people, because time doesn't heal stuff. It just doesn't. It just changes. And when this guy went to trial, they were only there. They did not go to the trial. They were only there two times for the preliminary hearing or whatever. When he was being arraigned, they were there, and maybe he'd open the other trial. They weren't there with the testimony, and they were there for when he was sentenced. But when I was talking to her, she thought, for a second, I was going to say something about information I had on my daughter. She said, no, no, no, don't tell me. I had no intention of doing that, but I learned from that, and I thought, you know what, unless something really happens to where I need to speak with a family member the future on future cases, I'm going to let this go because it was difficult for me. But I'm the one there, you know, trying to find information, so I wasn't thinking to me. But it was very difficult for them too. I felt very sorry for them. But that's the only case. And this was long before I talked to them that that woke me up in a cold sweat. It's it's just it's horrible anyway. Yeah, someone can can kill like that. It's just terrible that it's monstrous.
Speaker 7: Well, it's we've you know, I've inter reached so many people, read so many books where we have those kinds of people. And that's people might look at America and say, well, well, how can you have some of the laws that you have and death penalty? And it's because of some of these kinds of killers. I mean, it's not some people in politics.
Speaker 2: No, no, listen, I don't even I was on the Generation Why podcast, and that's and and and and that I debated the death penally with with with another guy and listen to death penalty very rarely stops. It isn't about preventing murder. It's not about that in my mind. It's about doing that which is right. And people do these heinous things, they need to go. But it's also about the family members. So many of these family members they can't move on until these people who slaughtered their loved one is dead. And the fellow, he's a realized guy. But the fellow I was debating, he kept thinking that was vengeance, and I kept saying, no, not vengeance. These people are so beyond anything like that. They're so changed as people, they just can't move on. So I'm a big believer in the death penalty for the victims and also because I think it's intrinsically the right thing to do. Okay, a guy kills his a guy for signing with his wife, does shit, he get the death enity. No guy gets a fight and kill somebody hits the death penalty. No kidnapping people, murdering diabolical stuff, yes, killing police officers yes. So there's mans and then there's Flaidel homicide. So you know there's there's there's first agree murder, so, but I hope we don't lose to that penalty, even though some states aren't carrying it out, because I think it's it's it's a good tool in the justice system. But again that's my opinion. A lot of people will disagree with that.
Speaker 7: Well, I did listen to Aaron and Justin and yourself and Tom Westcott discussed that.
Speaker 2: And it was like that for me. Hey, I think Tom's knights. I think we had a good lively time that night.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it definitely was. I won't get into that because I have my own opinion and I and what what I I just will say and again I hopefully don't open up the debate because I've expressed my opinion. But you know what my problem is is that you really can't have a system in because because Canada, we don't have as I explained on another program, Pardon me he is that we really you really can't have a sense of justice or equality, we'll say equality, which has to be a cornerstone of justice. When you have one state doesn't have a death penalty and another state does, and one state enforces a death penalon and another one really doesn't, and the reason for some of them. Abandoning the death penalty is because of money, and you do have. Often it depends on how good your attorney is and if you've paid for your attorney, and there are as in Canada and in America there's advantages to paying for your lawyer and paying well for your lawyer as well. So again equality kind of goes out the window. I understand though, the sentiment. I understand the emotion. I understand where the victims might have the right to feel vengeance, whether it works or it's not right or anything.
Speaker 2: So I do understand, and especially yeah, it's not vengeance for them most of them. They're so changed, there's so beyond that they could have invengeds in the early stages. They're still beyond that. It's very difficult for them, the ones that I know about, it's very difficult for them to put it to bid while their killer is still breathing, sometimes talking about the case, sometimes taunting them. It's just for them. And as the states in the United States, that that's the beauty about the states. Some states can have it, some states can't. If killers want to kill in a state where they don't have it, and that's important to them. Maybe that's what they need to do. But you know, I think the moral implication of what these people do. I just personally believe, And there's a lot of people that believe like me, there's a lot of people that don't. I don't care whether one state does or it doesn't. I don't care if some people can are good attorney and some can't. When the evidence of these types of murders is overwhelming, I don't care. Those people need to go and listen. I feel I felt the same way since I was sixteen seventeen years old. People that are that that Theodore Bundy needed to go. Overwhelming evidence. The clown guy, you know, killed thirty three boys. He doesn't need to be drawing breath. These people need to go. The world is a much better place when these people depart. So morally, I think it's a good thing. We may not have it always until people can say, well, you know, believe me. Sometimes Bundy had good attorneys. Bundy, you know, he just kind of torpedo himself. He could have gotten life. It was all to him. But the thing of it is, when they're like this, I just think they need to go. But like I say, a lot of people don't don't feel that way. It's been so settled with me. I'm fifty nine years old. Stuff was settled when I was a teenager anyway. But this book the one story that's really we talked about my mother's love. I actually lived next door to these people. They lived in my neighborhood. And what is really interesting about the Margaret's Science, Now Margaret Science, we left that home. If you look in the book, if you look at the picture, it shows her their home. But if you look at the house right next to it, that was our house. Wow. And both homes were in the picture. And they moved in about I don't know, eight or ten months before we moved out and moved a couple of miles away. But I remember Margaret and I didn't really talk. I remember seeing her. And she has an older son that was not that did not die, and daughter, and I remember them. And then and then there was the two youngest children that passed away that they were not born yet, so I didn't know them well. But then when this thing happened, you know, uh, we had sold the house. My parents had sold our house to the lady that's now in the chapter. And the kids ran when they couldn't get in the house, when they couldn't get in the bathroom door where their mother was.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: And of course they didn't know that their two siblings were upstairs because she had killed two of them with with a with a butcher with a US Marine K barneye that she had purchased. They ran next door to the lady that bought my parents' house. And when I went years years later to do this story and gather information, she was still there. So she let us go through the house and I asked her about it, and it produced pain in her even even then. And it's a quiet neighborhood. It's a really nice neighborhood to this day. It's very very peaceful and quiet and very nice. Not the kind of thing would you ever have. And the woman obviously had mental problems, and her husband was a computer salesman and he was out. He was just a normal guy, and the family was exposed at all normal and they were planning on taking a trip together. But she was plotting and planning and nobody knew it because I don't think they could ever figure out where she got this nice and it came in a box, so she bought it new, and back then the only place to really get this was to get in your car. She'd want to take a right, go up Lowell at Bartstown Road, and go straight down Bartstown Road, take a right seventy eight miles down into downtown Louisville and visit the Army Navy shops, which I don't even know if they have any more of these any now. And you can get these cabron iles another place. Back then, that's really the only place that you could go. So she must have done that a number of weeks before then and was planning this, and then she picked the morning and one of these two children just savage. And of course I've got pictures of the crime scene. I couldn't publish anything. It's graphic, but and I wouldn't but anyway, it's just it's one of those things that walks a neighborhood and it doesn't get over. It just takes years. And then doctor Strange and the severed head, which is a very strange kid, came bag. His name is Strange. Come on, I can't make this. I can't make this stuff up. That's hysterical. But you know he's a research scientist, right he's got a bunch of letters after his name, decides to go into the ministry. You had a first wife died. He comes to a church in Louisville, well I known church in Louisa ninth and zero meets a lady named Castleing O'Hara. They fall madly in love, and he's got a couple of kids and beautiful wedding that's really nice, and you know, the proverbial marriage made in heaven. I had to do these punspan and you have to predure me it. But within two years she's dead and he's charged with her murder, and you know, if you get into the story, it's just it's exceedingly strange. And what he ends up doing. He decapitates her with an axe and buries her head in the in their vegetable garden, and enlists his son to help him do this, not in the murder but in the bearing of her. So it's a very very, very strange stories. It's like when you say, hello, these these stories are just like right out of the Twilight Zone, and yeah, they're very strange.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're very I mean, it's all basical cliche when people say that, and there really is some writers and that sort of specialize into more gory stories. And I mean you were with Ted Bundy and then your book Vampire with Richard Chase, so yes, I mean, it's not like you're mining gore, but jeez, those are some of the gorrious stories out there as well. And this story, these stories like Twilight Zone, if people remember that type of show that the twist is incredibly a twist. It's not twist is an understatement, and it really is horror, it really because that's what Twilight's don't were. There were fictional horror stories. But I think what this is is that we show that you definitely demonstrate that it's much stranger than fiction, but it's also very much like a modern horror story in set in the last fifty years.
Speaker 2: It really is. It's very where you know, there's a lot of homicide cases out there, but these these very strange ones kept popping up. And the book that will be published and well, but in fact, Vampire, the Richard Chase movie movie, uh I wish Vampire Richard Chase Murders is going to be re released by uh Wild Blue Press, and I'm adding additional modern day photographs to it as well, and that. Yeah, that that took what of of of real evidence that that I had that I was able to photograph while I was out there, And and you know some of the homes. So and the another book that Wild Blue Press is going to do has to do with uh other Kentucky murders and and and they're justice bizarre to some strange things. And you know, people do some very diabolical things, but like I say, sometimes they're with a real twist. And that's what I kept finding over and over again with these Kentucky cases. And the funny there was you know that there were other cases I could have chosen. You can only write so many, and I had to pass over them that were almost equally as strange. I almost had to grab us from a lot that were they were I consider to be the best one, the most interesting ones, the ones that had the most that they were unique and they had that sort of twist to them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and and they're really unforgettable stories too. And so I congratulate you and UH on really finding and earthing some stories and bringing them to light and bringing them to an audience. So I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about death.
Speaker 2: Of a cheerleader.
Speaker 7: And this is shortorious Notorious USA, and so there'll be more volumes of this because, like you say, uh, thankfully, the psychopaths have been very, very prolific and so makes for incredible stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they sure, they sure provide the material to the writers, don't they. Yeah. You know, I'd like to say I always like to point not in my stories without coming out and saying it, the things that people need to do to protect themselves. Always lock your doors all you know, things are normal until they're not. It just and I just want to say this for the audience. If anybody's going to have it of not locking their car doors or their or their house door, you know, their homes at night, do so because you know, you know, Richard Chase tried to get to the home once and and the door was locked. And he went to the next house and murdered somebody. And they asked him about that, and he said, well, you know, they didn't want me in. The door was locked. Of course he was just he was not legally insane, but he was deeply mentally ill. He wasn't clear thinking like a Theodore Bundy. But there's a lot of people can do to protect themselves and not become victims. And I think the more people know about how this stuff works, the better off they'll be.
Speaker 7: Well, absolutely, this is amazing when you look at some of the cases like the Nightstalker, where that's exactly what happened. People were in that time in California. I'm going to keep my window open, and so you keep your window open, your back door. And these people, whether they think they're being guided by voices that that window open means something, yes, certainly then they're going to do something, or they're just a cunning psychopath that says, you know what, it's very thanks. Thanks for leaving your window open or your door open.
Speaker 2: Thanks. This this this Kentucky book and another book that that Greg and I wrote to two other books were on We did cases out of Ohio and then out of Pennsylvania. And one of the stories I did out of Pennsylvania was about a kid named Ali Cryder who murdered his best friends, his best friend and his parents in the middle of the night and they kept their door open, and the reports I've received that a lot of people did so. When I was talking to the Kenny attorney, I said, is this true that before these murders occurred, a lot of people in these neighborhoods would keep their doors unlocked. He said, yeah, a lot of them would. To me, that is absolutely shocking. There isn't any way. I've been this way all my life. There isn't any way I'm going to sleep in the house or any place and not lock my doors. It's not going to happen. But some people think that way, and lo and behold, something evil comes their way and something diabolical happens right near them. People have a tendency to think those things happen elsewhere, but they need to understand. But they apparently a lot of people don't. Those terrible things can happen anywhere at any time, and people need to take the proper precaution. But I like to say, my wife knows this. I don't get shocked very often. But just hearing the guy tell me that people in these neighborhoods in this day time, a lot of them would not lock their door, I thought, man like another world. To me, I would never think that way. But people think that everything's normal until it's not. And unfortunately, when it's not normal, it's if it's haintous, if it's diabolical, it's going to it can have some really bad effects for those involved. So it would be whose people to, you know, lock their doors and if possible me or comfortable with it, arm themselves and just pray that nothing bad ever comes your way behind If it does, you're prepared for it. That's not like to point out in the book. Just be prepared. Just do what you can do to help yourself and lock up. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, well, every almost every true Crown book I ever read was a cautionary tale and there has to be something to be learned from it. And I think that's where the great audience really is is women who can really identify being sometimes often a victim of lesser things. But I think they really can relate to some of these victims where just at the wrong place, at the wrong time.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 7: I'll play and soon, yeah all right, for those for Kevin, for those that would like to see what else you've written, and also maybe contact you. Do you do the Facebook thing and how might people contact you?
Speaker 2: And do you have a website? Leno, Yeah, you know, I'm I've joined the ranks of Wild Blue Press and I'm getting stuff uploaded to Wild Blue Press now, but they can visit me at Wild Blue Press in the days ahead, and that's Wild Blue Press, and I'll have information on there. I can blog from there. I'm also on Facebook and they can find me there. And I have been answering questions for over five years about Ted Bundy at a site called executed today dot com. And if you go to execute it today dot com if you're interested in Ted Bundy. They did a Q and A with me back in January of two thousand and nine, before my book The Bunny Murders were published, and you know, I hung around and answered some questions and it's got my witness. I thought there'd be twelve fifteen questions. Well we're over seven thousand posts now and yeah, really it's probably probably one of August threads on the Internet. And it's been over five years and people still ask questions and we have slow periods and we have very busy periods where people are asking questions, and so if anybody has interest there, they can find me there. They can find me on Facebook, and pretty soon you'll be able to find me at Wild Glue Press.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Well, congratulations on all the reissues too. And I know Wild Blue Press is really a great opportunity for authors, you know, a publishing company run by authors, for authors, run by letting authors do what authors do. Fantastic, what a concept, and uh yeah, and so and you're in great company. And I'm we've had those people on the program of course, and Burl and Caitlin and Ron friends people and yourself and Steve and if I'm missing anyone, I will Fred Rosen of course. So yeah, it's a great bride stable and great guys and writing some great books. So I want to thank you very much, Kevin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I want to say I'll be on Burle's show, a Burl Bear Show if anybody wants to listen, on November eighth. And that's also Lively over there too. Oh.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, Burl's the best.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you, thank you very much, and I look forward to listening to you on Burl's program. And you have a great evening and hope to hear from you soon with the volume two of Death of a Cheerleader. Thank you very much, Kevin.
Speaker 2: Right, thanks Van here, bye bye, good night.
Speaker 10: M HM.