Speaker 1: I love this topic.
Speaker 2: It is old school parenting ideas that this, uh, this article, opines is just what today's kids need and helping us sort through it all is justin worship. Hello, sports is not his lame.
Speaker 3: Sports absolutely not.
Speaker 4: Gave up on your San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, became a RAMS fan, and that is when we stopped being sorry for my children.
Speaker 4: No, no, it's not my children.
Speaker 1: Okay, first five, it's not for the children.
Speaker 5: Teach your children to have some amount of credibility and.
Speaker 2: You know what, not just credibility, but loyalty, indignity, and integrity.
Speaker 3: It sounds like.
Speaker 6: Somebody's a little upset about the DeVante Adams signings.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not tell your faith. I am not.
Speaker 2: You think Matt Stafford's gonna you think there's gonna be a different ending to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, all right, I do because they're so great. Are so great. There it is, And now I.
Speaker 6: Know why she likes doing this is my first opportunity to trigger her.
Speaker 3: And it feels like I feel electricity in my base. Yeah bat.
Speaker 4: Old school parenting.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm like sweating and vibrating with joy. I'm not lying. This is Oh my god.
Speaker 6: I now understand the power that you feel on a daily basis. What's incredible because I just said something in name to me and you just started shaking.
Speaker 2: It's not something you said, it's the fact that you would be a lifelong forty nine er fan.
Speaker 4: Off hand and the hand.
Speaker 6: While she talks his forts into flipping the bird, She's just standing.
Speaker 2: Here along the right place I live for years of the biggest that I can take the training care base to clean My son to the Enos season stayed like five and seven at the time you decided to be a ram.
Speaker 3: My son was like, I really like the Rams.
Speaker 1: And then there you tell them that they're wrong.
Speaker 4: Do not say no to your say no to your kid everything.
Speaker 2: It's like every That's what I mean, Like, why kid wants to be a Dolphins fan when they're five because they like Dolphins.
Speaker 1: You don't let them live their life as a Dolphins.
Speaker 6: Anybody wants to be a Dolphins fan. I think Shannon's talking about herself.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows a kid that wanted to be a Dolphins fan when they were a five issues.
Speaker 6: No, that's maybe like a girlfriend you had surgery in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: Because one is upset She's running down the hall saying stay on topic.
Speaker 3: No, she's not issue.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh she is my best number one. She's like, this is uninteresting. I understand, just so clear.
Speaker 3: I just said a couple of dumb things. Jesus is going off.
Speaker 5: Well, I want to bring this back to the topic.
Speaker 4: But I think giving your kids, well, you have.
Speaker 3: To let them throw a tantrum.
Speaker 4: Gar let's be as fan. You don't have to change your You don't have to change your strike.
Speaker 6: You don't want change the dynamic where the two of you gang up on.
Speaker 4: Me like he made my decision.
Speaker 2: You weren't born and raised in Modesto to root for the Rams.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's very true. But my kids were born and raised in Burbank.
Speaker 1: To get the children who cares.
Speaker 6: Listen, It's okay, they're like, nobody likes the Rams like it address me.
Speaker 3: Anybody who goes to a game knows.
Speaker 6: That the majority of the people there are visiting because they came from some other city. So it's like you just have this like trap that brings the team in so that you could watch your team beat the crap out of the local team that you hold up shop. And I are te years apart almost to the minute. His birthday is also January twenty four. You don't think it's fun that parlor Tricky does where he remembers every play ever.
Speaker 3: That's fun.
Speaker 4: That's cool, head coach, that sounds.
Speaker 3: Like John Cruden. That's delightful.
Speaker 6: Give your kids space, Give you space, unlike you two are giving me at the.
Speaker 1: Beginning of every baseball season.
Speaker 3: You get a little jones in for football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I apologize that you took the brunt of it today.
Speaker 4: She had she had about a quiet month or so. She just saw a girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Immediately. I love you so much, you don't you don't care when I'm talking.
Speaker 4: You're not talking. When I'm talking, you're not talking. We'll get it back on track, I swear.
Speaker 3: Probably. I guess we're carrying over anger. No, she didn't get in trouble. She's just trying not to get I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to ruin it because I really want him to get to this topic about the old school parenting.
Speaker 5: Okay, well we did the giving your kids space thing and the tan let.
Speaker 6: What I want to say about so what this was is that this guy put on Reddit, like, what are some things that you experienced in your childhood that you think would be good for kids today but is not part of the you know, modern parenting style. And the first one is giving your kids space, but it's not the space that I think. It means that it's not a safe space. It means that allowing them to fail, that like failure is the best teacher out there, and I would agree with that. But the second one is also let them be alone, which means you're not always around them trying to like entertain them or engage them, stimulate them, like just let them be and it goes into all these benefits of like emotional development. When your kid gets to be bored, it's everything that everybody who grew up in the eighties feels like. The kids today don't have right because they have these computers and TVs and everything all in their pocket all the time.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: The chores thing is also pretty important.
Speaker 5: Yes, I've run into this a couple of times, probably more often lately, where kids don't have chores, they just have money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just the way it goes.
Speaker 5: I just have money and available to them anytime they want, and mom or dad can venmo them or PayPal.
Speaker 3: Or app whatever.
Speaker 1: Do your kids have chores.
Speaker 5: They had very specific requirements. Yes, they were things that they were responsible, right.
Speaker 6: I failed at this. We started off with chores, but I could not get them. I couldn't get them on board. And I hate like throwing my wife under the bus a little bit. But she's not big on consequences. Like that's our parenting fight that we have within our relationship. And I very much am and so she's just like.
Speaker 3: Well, they try. Everything is about effort. It doesn't matter the result, all right.
Speaker 6: Like the playoffs, You're right, you totally won that one. That's great. I have not won this entire two segments at all. You're right, you nailed the shit.
Speaker 3: God be so good. You got me on my heels.
Speaker 1: I'm very easy to manipulate.
Speaker 4: If you tell me I won.
Speaker 1: Even if I know I'm being manipulated, it still feels good.
Speaker 3: Oh good, I like that. That's great. That's even more fun for me to have later.
Speaker 4: I also think it's her birthday if you give her a card.
Speaker 6: My Shannon fair and toolbox is getting so big, right, I'm letting so many skills right now. The other one that I like here is allowing them to experience conflict. This was something that came up with my kids is that my wife and I have had like one really big fight and we had it in front of our oldest son and he kind of started to get upset.
Speaker 3: My wife kind of like looked like, okay, let's be careful.
Speaker 1: What were you fighting about.
Speaker 6: We were actually fighting about her, But she she would treat me like a sitcom dad, even though I was the guy who was home with the kids. It was when I was working here at the radio station on handle show, so I was home with them after school. I was cooking meals and all that stuff. And she came home one day and she was like, well, you know, he thinks that you don't care whenever he has an ailment and tried to explain to me how to properly care for a child.
Speaker 3: Does he think my son?
Speaker 6: Was saying this to my wife after I had gone to bed at like seven o'clock because I was getting up at two am, and I just was like, you don't like last you guys made fun of me before, like I literally broke down breastfeeding.
Speaker 3: To her, like I had to talk about the biology.
Speaker 6: And again, I don't like this because my wife is great, and I literally could not live without her, and I hate it when sometimes I talk making jokes.
Speaker 1: Like she comes across that you adore her.
Speaker 3: Don't are you doing the thing I was doing?
Speaker 1: No, I'm serious, I'm serious. I don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: No, I know I couldn't.
Speaker 6: Like, I literally gave up the career I wanted since I was in first grade so I could be around this woman and these children more.
Speaker 3: But so anyway I got.
Speaker 6: We got into this big fight about it because I'm like, I'm not an uninvolved dad, I'm not an ignorant dad.
Speaker 3: I'm very engaged. I'm very aware.
Speaker 6: I said, you can't come into the situation acting like you have all of the information when you have none. And that was kind of what I was sternly saying back to her because I was offended, And so I broke it down from and I said, listen, I go.
Speaker 3: You and your brother fight all the time. You don't see your mom and I getting upset? Right, I go. And this is where I really nailed as a father.
Speaker 6: I said, I go, Well, the four of us are all living in this house together in close proximity. I go, Prisoners try to stab each other just from being close to each other.
Speaker 3: It's very similar.
Speaker 4: They have to make their own knives. We have them in the drawer. He's like, I got my ship right here.
Speaker 3: But it was something that I noticed about even my parents.
Speaker 6: My parents would have lots of conversations, disagreements, arguments in front of me, and it kind of teaches you how to be in a relationship.
Speaker 5: I think, otherwise you don't. There's no way to model that if you hide it from them. There's one of these later on that I think is interesting. It's a side with the teacher. Yeah, sometimes the teacher is right about your kid being incorrigible or acting out in class. But just as important as that is, like hey, missus Terwilliger has the opportunity to call you out on your ass, there are times when you have to defend the kid against the teacher.
Speaker 6: Have done I have done that less than what I would expect it as a parent. I have fought advocated for my kid against more teachers. There's been teachers that I have relationships with that I know, and they've like, like they set a picture of Jack when he was in first grade that he just decided he wasn't going to listen, and he did a duck and cover drill under the desk, like just lay down, and the teacher texts me, she goes, this is what he's doing right now, and I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: That's like a whole topic like siding with the teacher or your kid, and the ramifications of both of those. I mean, it's a case by case basis. I would assume about the context of a lawyer. Right, you are your kids. You can't be your kid's advocate.
Speaker 5: But in the event that your kid is accused of doing something that they didn't do, you have to have that heart to heart, honest conversation with Hey, listen, I'll go to bat for you, and I'll use all the resources that are available to me to defend you, but you better go all the way down and tell me the absolute God's honest try about this, because if there's any moment that I find out that you're lying about it, or you're fudging the details, or you're passing off responsibility, yeah, and then you're on your own and you don't want that.
Speaker 6: Both of my kids have had that conversation with me where I've said, I go, listen, I go if I will fight for you and I am involved in these schools, so the parker, I will go in there, I will I will parker it up.
Speaker 2: And but like what if, like, you know, I'm just thinking of something where there's gray area, you know, not like plagiarism or cheating on a test or something, but you know your kid's not showing effort or whatever, and your kids like I am doing everything I can. How do you navigate that?
Speaker 6: I had that where the what was happening was he was struggling in math. The teacher was not really supporting. It also happened to be during the pandemic. He was failing math. And I said, I go, Okay, on Friday, that's your day that you go check in because this was the time where they didn't have school on Friday, but the teachers had like office hours like it was a college, and you would go and check in from what you would learn to make sure you were getting. And I said, you go to her every Friday and say this is what I think I'm understanding.
Speaker 3: Am I right? Every Friday you go to talk to her.
Speaker 6: He's like okay, And then he was still failing and I went back and I talked to her, and he didn't go every Friday and so I had to tell him, I'm like, listen, she was definitely in the wrong. Like something else came up where he was upset about trying to make up the work, and he was emotional, and he was twelve. And this was back when he got to go back into the classroom and he was approaching her to talk to her, and a twelve year old was emotional in front of her, and she and he started crying and she laughed in his face.
Speaker 3: That was something that I got the admin.
Speaker 6: Involved, not because I was worried about my kid, but I was like, you can't let this lady do somebody else, because somebody else is going to start beating and getting pitchforks and torches and want her fired because they're going to care more about this. Right, But I said, you took my ability to help you away when you didn't do what I told you to do. You didn't do your part, So I can't help you now with this. You're just gonna have to deal with the result and the consequence.
Speaker 4: All right, So next week we'll talk more about it, all right.
Speaker 3: I will get that together.
Speaker 4: Spank your kids.
Speaker 6: Maybe we'll do the second segment about the NFC West just in general, that's fine.
Speaker 3: Okay, done you.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: What are you going?
Speaker 2: I'm responding to Deborah Mark. She sent me a new sex show to watch, so poor boy.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad.
Speaker 4: I asked as always a joy when you were here.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, just like a battered way.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. It's me, it's me. Carrie and Shanna will continue after this