Speaker 1: You're listenings kf I AM six forty the Bill Handles Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, it is the Bill Handle Show. Neil's Fader filling in this morning. Wayne Resnik will be back on Monday, filling in for Handle, who's out on vacation.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to be with you this Friday.
Speaker 2: I was telling you earlier Holy Smokes watched a porch pirate live feal something from my porch. I feel your pain. People hear about this all the time, But you know what, I'm not gonna let it get me down. This will not be This will not be my villain Orange origin story. It won't or my Orange story won't be My Orange story won't be my origin story. It won't. Thank you Jesus amen. What's going on with these earthquakes?
Speaker 3: Am I right to la.
Speaker 2: Nice transition? Well, it's the deal with these earthquakes, all right? You haven't noticed, if you've been living under a rock somewhere, that rock's shaking. A lot going on in southern California. Seems like twenty twenty four is turning out to be like the Big O' active year for earthquakes. More than we've seen in decades actually, so a lot of seismic activity. Good reminder that quiet times can't last forever. You know, we've had a weird weird cycles, Like the heat cycle was crazy. They had cooled down, then we had a heat cycle. Amy where we at on that? By the way, are we are we going to start cooling down? Is that where we're at?
Speaker 4: I mean like this weekend? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean is like a ten day forecast type thing. Are we looking out at having warm weather?
Speaker 3: Cool weather?
Speaker 5: Well, we do have a cooling trend that's going to start this weekend and then yeah, it's to be like next week it's going to be low seventies. I'm not sure in the valleys, but in the metro areas it'll be in the seventies.
Speaker 2: You know, you've ever heard people say, oh, it's earthquake weather. I think that's when it's hot, right, Is that when people say.
Speaker 4: That, that's when Mother Nature is angry.
Speaker 2: Oh she's mad, Yeah, having hot flashes. Yeah, that can't be good. Yeah, that can't be good. Get out of the house.
Speaker 6: So it's going to be seventies in the valley's next week, Oh, it's gonna be nice, perfectly lovely. So California is gearing up for its annual Shakeout, Shakeout earthquake drill. We do them on the station here. I think it's October seventeenth. Great time to remind yourself rush up on earthquake preparedness. The ground's been big time jumpy recently, and we've had some moderate earthquakes.
Speaker 3: Is here more than.
Speaker 4: I'm jumpy more but big time jumpy.
Speaker 2: You don't like No, I like it. I'm talking to the youth, right, Elmar Yeah, he's talking to me, Yeah, talking to youth. I'm not prepared all Seriously, it's been big time jumping. No cap no cap yeah, word, that's whole damn.
Speaker 3: I was so doing so good.
Speaker 2: So what's behind these these quakes? Especially they seem to be clustered right Still a bit of a mystery. We don't have a whole lot of answers because experts are very careful to say this or you remind us all the time, because the assumption is if we're having them, we're going to have more, and that that big one's gonna come. But experts will tell you over and over again, smaller quakes don't mean big ones are on the way, Susan, Oh, how do you pronounce this? If I said T H O U g H how would you pronounce that?
Speaker 3: Though? Though? Right? What if I took off the T?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: What is it? Amy? Oh? So it's not ho.
Speaker 2: Okay, Susan huff, we're going with huff. Sizemall just at the US Geological Survey explains it like popcorn popping, you know, sometimes they cluster and you don't always know what the reason is. According to Lucy Jones, we know Lucy are beloved seismologist out here at cal Tech. Southern California has seen fifteen independent seismic sequences this year. That's including at least one earthquake of magnitude four or higher. Now that's the highest count in sixty five years. That tops the thirteen quakes that we had in nineteen eighty eight, which I don't think I remember. So just recently we had that magnitude four quake hit near Ontario International Airport if you remember, and it's a you know, busy city there, San Bernardina sand Burdiu.
Speaker 3: Still flustered.
Speaker 2: They had five, alaugh at me, five quakes magnitude three or higher in last month alone. Malibu they had the magnitude four six if you remember back in February, then there was a four to seven in September. East La felt it and then they found out it was just the hydraulics and they were bouncing their cars. It's okay, I can say it. Yeah, the four point four in El Sereno lot. So what does it mean. I know that we're all thinking that it means the big one is coming, but experts over and over say they don't give us any new insight to win that big one might happen.
Speaker 3: We just know that it's going to.
Speaker 2: Seismologists have been trying to find patterns for decades and the truth of the matter is they haven't found anything statistically that they can look at that it's meaningful that can predict big quakes. It would be great if they could. So it just is a great reminder that you have to take care of things, get prepared haired the big shakeout. Like I said, coming up on October seventeenth to ten seventeen am. I'm sure Gary and Shannon will be doing it here as they do every year. It's just a reminder get your stuff together, figure out what you need to have on hand. You know, buy something with every paycheck. Get a little something. Add to your food, add to your water, Get you know, special blankets. Get yourself a solar powered radio or hand craked generated radio, the flashlight. There are little packet phone chargers you can get the size of a credit card. They're very thin and they last for about eight years. They hold their charge. Find them online, put them in there. These are the things that I do. And then I just pack them in there and I keep the food. I have twenty five truly twenty five year old shelf life food that means has no oils in it that will get rants in any of that stuff. And I put that away and I break it up into different places to have it at the house, and you know, be as ready as we can be. You ever have those people in your life that just stick to their guns even though they're totally wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're called family. We all have them.
Speaker 2: But when you're getting into it with somebody and they're super sure they're right, even when they're clearly not. I don't know if it's a conspiracy theory, whatever it is, we've all dealt with them. And being a fan of logic and little amateur logician that I am. I've always been fascinated with the psychology around how we think and come to conclusions, and when you tie emotions into it, it can be problematic. You have to have a reason prevail. It needs to be above all things. There there's actually some psychology behind confidence. God only knows. If I didn't have strange misplaced confidence, I would not be married out of my league. A new study, one this is Public Library Science PLOS one, suggests that many folks believe they have all the info they need to form an opinion, even when they really don't. Now keep in mind, so your body, you know, your mind is telling you, hey, my body has been through these things because we either learn from books or we learn from reality from experiencing things. As matter of fact, books are really someone else's experience that they put into a book that we read to learn more quickly, rather than having to have the experience ourselves. Some people are better academically ingesting information that way.
Speaker 3: That was not my thing.
Speaker 2: I'm more of a life experienced guy, and then that goes into my fund of experience and that becomes how I come to conclusions on things the best I can with the information I have. So there's this guy, Angus Fletcher. He's an English professor at Ohio State University. One of the studies authors this one about our brains are pretty overconfident about drawing conclusions from just a little information, Take a little bit, and we conclude that all the time. It's bad logic, bad reason. But we feel that we can make these judgments even though our information is complete. So they gathered about thirteen hundred people, mostly around forty years old or so. They had them read a made up story about a school running out of water because its local aquifer was drying up. Now, some of the participants read the version, read a version arguing that the school should merge with another school, and you know, three ports. They had three points of arguments supporting that idea and one neutral point that kind of could.
Speaker 3: Go either way.
Speaker 2: Others got the opposite version, favoring staying separate. The last group, the control group, read a balanced version that included all of the arguments. So after they read this, they start to debate, and then they were all They all felt confident about the conclusions they came to with the information that they had, and they may have, but it wasn't all the information. So going through this process, they noted that they thought people would cling to their initial opinions, even as faith with contradictory info. But it turns out they're open to change if the new information makes sense to them. And that's a good thing because right now we have a lot of people just you know, pushing their heels in the sand and not wanting to wrestle with learning new information. You should always be open. I you know, I hear people talking. We're obviously not far from the election in November, and people talk about, oh, this person flip flops or whatever.
Speaker 3: I don't mind that.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, I've been listening to talk radio since I was in my teens, and I always liked when a host would come on and say, you know what I was wrong about that, you know, I got some new information because it makes me trust them. So if they're not just playcating, if I think a government official, a politician actually obtained new information in their fund of experience whatever it is to make them come to a new conclusion, or they heard from enough people, and I do that you folks that hit up on the talkbacks or write or anything like that. If I think you have a legitimate argument. It can change my mind and has. You know, I don't always get a chance to say it until the next time I'm talking about that topic or something. But if somebody brings me a good, solid logic argument, I will consume it. Not everybody does that, So there's this illusion of depth that you think that you have more information that you do. So the gist of it and whittling it all down, the thought was you need to stay curious and be humble, and I liked that concept of being humble. Now I'll leave you with this because we're up against the clock and I can talk about this stuff all darn day, but that Neil Sevader guy's coming on to talk about like foody Friday, and he doesn't like to be bumped really moody.
Speaker 3: Sob just really it's all used to be in management.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: We don't need that.
Speaker 2: So if you get a chance, I'm going to give you a little homework if you like this type of thing, do a deep dive on the Dunning Krueger effect. It's something I've been fascinated by for a long time. It's a cognitive bias and it causes people to overestimate their abilities or knowledge. And we find this in schools where people that were very confident about a test they took oftentimes did horribly and they would defend it to the teachers saying no. So it can occur in tons of different areas of course politics, but also work, health, education, relationships, and it can lead to poor decision making because you don't you're processing things differently. Now, to give you a little you know, this breakdown gets into really crazy things like metacognitive ability and all this stuff. And I'm not going to bore you with that, but to give you an idea of this, the opposite of the Dunning Kruger effect is imposter syndrome.
Speaker 3: It's the opposite.
Speaker 2: It's you telling yourself that you don't have the proper abilities when you do. When you have those abilities, then you question them so crazy the way we think but not you know, Handle will tell you this all the time. If you listen to his legal show, I did that in quotes. The more confident he is about something, uh, the least I would the less I would take that into a courtroom. Adults drinking breast milk post COVID test scores. My house was porch pirated while I was live on the air. See no we missing. Of course, our hearts go out to the folks in Florida, even Georgia, any of the places that were affected by multiple hits, both Helene and Milton. And are they talking about another one still, Amy, No, it wasn't. There talk that there was something to bruin and they were concerned it was Leslie.
Speaker 4: But she's just spinning around and not doing anything.
Speaker 2: Leslie from sales. Yeah, oh you mean they were it was going to be called it was a storm. They were gonna call.
Speaker 5: There's a storm named Leslie, but she's not anywhere near. And then there's there might be something else kind of bruin over near Africa.
Speaker 4: But it's oh please Lord, give still too soon to tell.
Speaker 2: Give these people a break, all right, so we'll shift. This is one of my favorite parts of the week. I love this guy. Anytime I have the opportunity to connect with him and talk food, it's just a treat. Can we get Neil in here. Have a seat, buddy, put on your headphones.
Speaker 3: It's time for foody Friday.
Speaker 2: Happenough food, Eat Eat Eat Eat jo Jo all right sixteen discontinued foods. We wish we could eat one more time? And is there anything from your from your youth? Yes, I'm talking to you, lovely lady. Anything from your youth or recently that has been discontinued that you go, man, I wish I could have that. I'm trying to think nothing. Huh no, No, you're good.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're really living the life. Everything you enjoy you still have. Wow, it's kind of flaunting it.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Here's a here's a list of some things maybe jog your memory. The taco bell, caramel apple impanada. No, no, that's not your thing.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that. I enjoyed that. I mean you could talk.
Speaker 4: I've never had it before.
Speaker 3: What about uh, Klondike Choco taco?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Oh, I remember those?
Speaker 3: You remember choco tacos? Amy K King? Did you like them?
Speaker 4: I don't remember. I'm sure they were good.
Speaker 2: So, if you're not familiar with it, a choco taco is similar than notes, if you will, uh, the ratios and the like too, Like a drumstick. You know, it's got like the sugar sugar candy. What do they call that? The waffle cone style? But I think it's chocolate. And then it's got vanilla ice cream. I believe on the inside it might have chocolate, I can't remember a bit a while, and then peanuts, and then it's dipped in chocolate and all.
Speaker 4: Of that same ingredients.
Speaker 3: Just basically.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I was never crazy about it. I know it has a huge following. I always found them to be soggy ish, like they didn't have the crunch that I love in a drumstick, because I am a huge fan of drumsticks. That's a that is a good ice cream cone right there, and then you get the one with that little chocolate cork at the bottom that seals all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just like like the whole time you're eating your ice cream and you're enjoying that drumstick and it's like, here, take more of me, oh, enjoy me, enjoy me. And then you get down to the bottom and it's like, guess what, sailor there's one more bounce?
Speaker 3: You get it?
Speaker 4: You're wrong?
Speaker 2: Little yeah, little chocolate for your boom. Yeah, a little chop, little chocolate cone. Yeah, slow for the cone zone boom. But I don't find that in the Choco Taco. So Choco Taco went away. They had brought them back or said they were going to bring them back for a little bit. Anyways, they're they're gone. So the thing about a lot of these that I'm talking about, you can find find recipes online to make these at home. I remember my wife, my wife was She came home one day and said, you know, my parents and I were talking about Vandicamps in Glassdow Park. That used to be the bakery there, the Vandyicamp's Bakery. Now you can find some Vandicamp products still minimally. I don't know who bought them, but they're no longer made at Vandy Campsy here anymore. But they had a cookie. It was like a short bread cookie that had big granular sugar on top. And I couldn't find anything that. I found this really obscure website that had a recipe and we tried it and she said they were very close. So if you miss any of these, you know the kudos bars? You remember those kudos bars? I think there was someone here used to give them out when you did something good.
Speaker 4: Can you still get a ding Dong?
Speaker 3: Excuse me, you still get sure ding do twinkies? It's my handle ding Dong.
Speaker 2: No, Yes, you can get ding Dong's they're slightly smaller than they used to be. But yeah, they people bring him to Conway shows all the time, boxes of them, and I don't think he even eats. Heats pretty good Dorito's soda. That's good, right, I think it works, felt strong, funny. You see them in shorts. Look at those pins. Good night, kudos bars Dan in Sprinkling's yogurt, Frutopia juice. The McDonald's snack wrap. Does anybody remember those?
Speaker 4: The snack wrapper like the chicken wraps.
Speaker 2: The snack wrap it had. I think there was like a what was it like a Caesar salad one. They had chicken in it and it was it wrapped in a tortilla.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love those.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did too.
Speaker 4: Those were great. I was bummed when they got rid of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Send them in tic TACs, yellow pudding pops. They're good to have. The pudding pop. That's my really bad Bill Cosby, who I think pimped them.
Speaker 4: I have one.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 5: Do you remember apple dumplings at Wendy's Apple dumplings. They were they they were apple dumplings. It was baked, it had really shell on it and had apples in it, and it was cooked and had cinnamon and you could put frosty on top of it if you really wanted to be a decadent.
Speaker 4: It was so good. Now I want on gone.
Speaker 2: Philadelphia cream cheese snack bars, No one Bueler Dorito's three d What were those like funion shape or something?
Speaker 3: And then but.
Speaker 2: Dorito's like they were like a bugle or whatever. No, not funion, the bugle. What were the snack thing the ship like? Are they called bugles?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They were kind of round like that Sierra Miss butterfinger bebies. I loved those, just small, just handfuls melted chocolate and butterfingers, sour patch cherry.
Speaker 3: Well, all these things are gone.
Speaker 4: But do you remember when the ding dong was wrapped in foil? Yeah?
Speaker 3: They still shoot, aren't they? Are they?
Speaker 2: Oh they're in the little plastic baggy yeah yeah, and they're smaller.
Speaker 3: Yeah I remember them in the foil. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Editor Carlo just sent a note and she said, ding dogs ding dongs don't taste as good as when they came in foil.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: See that's right, more logic. Go back to our last topic. We have people, all right, we come back. Chicken or turkey for the wind Is that a good enough tease?
Speaker 3: People? All right? Fight to the death tail the tape.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty the bill handles show Neil Savager filling in today. Mister Wayne Resnik will be back filling in on Monday. So don't you fret, my pet. All will be well and normal in the world again to the best of our ability. Okay, we were talking. We're doing Foody Friday, and we're talking with the FOURK reporter, who I find charming as hell.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 2: He seems sweet yet strong, a balanced mind, a kind man. Uh, knows a lot about food and bought How does he keep that figure when he eats for a living? Those are the questions I have. We won't ask him today. But we were talking about the different things that have gone away, food that have got has gone the way of the Dodo bird and we miss and so we talked a little bit about that, and then everybody started remembering things. Amy, you came in with a with a couple of things. Then we started going down the path of how come ding dongs aren't wrapped in foil anymore?
Speaker 3: And all hell.
Speaker 2: Broke loose, uh, and there was steam coming out of her ears.
Speaker 4: And then uh more, I thought about it, the angrier I got.
Speaker 2: Oh, Carla, one of our news editors, jumped in, says, they don't hit the same without the foil.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a whole thing online too. There was actually a petition on change dot org to bring back the foil, Bring back the foil, Bring back the foil.
Speaker 3: That where we're at. Oh, you could come in. You can just throw that stuff. That's just her crap.
Speaker 2: You can, No, You're fine, please, Kono has been interrupting me. There's been tons of interruption. Ufo ice cream sandwich. I didn't know it until I looked it up. Someone said, as Susie Q said, oat sels on social media. By the way, if you're not there with me on social media, I would love that because I'm the one that controls them and we can chat at Fork Reporter, at fork Reporter on Instagram and all the others. But Instagram's where I'm at quite a bit. I'm on X right now looking at oatsols. They were pretzels made with oat flour. Wow, I'm guessing that makes sense that they're gone. That and then this curiosity chicken fajita pita is. We have mixed reports that's at Jack in the Box. But it also turns out that it's on their website, but you can't find it at every location, so maybe it's just too much.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll wrap up because I tease this very quickly.
Speaker 2: When it comes to chicken versu is turkey, it depends on if you're doing the white meat or the dark meat. They're almost identical their neck and neck. The dark beat on the turkey's just a little bit better for you then as far as the fat.
Speaker 3: And all the stuff that we don't want. But they're very neck and neck.
Speaker 2: So it looks like turkey takes the edge just slightly lower cholesterol, a little bit more iron that is skinless. When you put the skin on, then it becomes a little.
Speaker 3: Different of a situation. So that's what you need to know.
Speaker 4: Well, look at you.
Speaker 3: Are you going to sit down and say hello, good morning? Bow are you? Did you have fun yesterday?
Speaker 7: It was so much fun. This is Christina by the way, Christina Pascucci. I'm filling in for Shannon Hungary and Shannon in case anyone's wondering.
Speaker 3: And you have the most fun last name to say.
Speaker 7: Scooch is what a lot of the friends and viewers from Katla and Fox would call me the scooch.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: Did they put the thought in front of it or is it just.
Speaker 4: To do you know whatever they're feeling.
Speaker 3: The scooch sounds exclusive.
Speaker 4: It's part of a club or something.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's like no one else. You can maybe have another scooch. You can't have the scooch. Yeah, that scooch is you.
Speaker 7: It maybe has like the same effect as Madonna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that strong one name. Yeah, she took it a little far. I didn't take it there. I want that noted. So what do you guys got going on the Gary and Nott Channon Show today.
Speaker 7: Oh, there's so much happening. We're talking about Milton of course, the latest. We're going to talk to Captain Eric Scott from LAFD. They have teams on the ground there assessing the damage, helping in the rescue efforts. We're going to be talking about all kinds of fun news. Also, there was this really interesting story about this guy in Beverly Hills who punched out a heckler who was a a pro Palestinian heckler who is harassing Jewish patrons and Beverly Hills and he tried to take a punch at this guy, and the guy in self defense, punched him back, and some people are calling him a hero. He's giving the first interview he's doing on our show at ten fifty today.
Speaker 3: A heckler at what Yeah, there is this secler.
Speaker 7: It was a group of guys and masks and they went up to these restaurant patrons and started yelling slurs and all kinds of things. And so this one customer came to the defense of all of these people who were there in this you know, highly Jewish area and defended them after this guy threw the first punch at him.
Speaker 4: And he's being called a hero by.
Speaker 7: Some because these guys were just what they were doing was awful to these customers.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So what that means is go nowhere. You see what I'm saying. There's no reason to leave this place. Keep it right here and you'll have more to come. Thanks so much for hanging out with me on a Friday. I will catch you tomorrow from two to five with the Fork Report, broadcasting live from the Manhattan Beach Food and Wine Festival. Looking forward to that. Have a wonderful weekend. Be empathetic, to be kind, and stick around. Right here, Neil Savedra. This is KFI and KOSTHD to Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app