Speaker 1: Saulisbury Houston. Okay, let's do this Sewn Salisbury to usc Troup's longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 2: Dan Matthew, excuse, this is the Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 3: Two strike three call at the knees, eighty nine mile an hour fastball and Capairo goes down looking a lot of movement on that fastball, and there are two outs, the one zero and Myers drives it in the center field, racing back Capalliro on the warning track. It's off the face of the wall, Carrotinia round third. He will score Myers in the second with an RBI double in the Astros with a one nothing league, Jack Myers drives in his sixteenth runt of the year.
Speaker 1: Here's the two to two ripped.
Speaker 3: Left field that could go that we it's gone.
Speaker 1: Barrettis does it again in eighth home run of the season.
Speaker 3: Astros lead to nothing on a bullet off the bat of a sad Hunters lead off second and third pitch on the way and that is hit through the right side of base. Hit that'll score Meisner. Caprierro coming home to throw in by Smith not nearly in time, and we're tied at two. Jonathan Ronda drives him in both that double steel pays off for Tampa Bay. The pitch and that's hit in the left Shallow McCormick backs up a few steps, gets behind it makes the catch. Morel tags trying to score the throw home.
Speaker 1: Not nearly in time.
Speaker 3: Christopher Morel scores and the Rays walk off the Astros three to two.
Speaker 1: On the Taylor Walls Sackfly.
Speaker 3: McCormick was already playing Shallow just had to back up a couple of steps. Morel took off and it paid off for the Rays.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's how it goes. Last night.
Speaker 4: The Astros put up too early, they are unable to be able to do anything more than that, and they lose it. As you just heard Robert Ford tell you three to two to drop the second game of this series. And with all that we say away we go here on the Sean Salisbury Show, Second straight Morning, a good buddy. KPRC two's Ari Alexander hanging out with us as the Astros last night. As I mentioned, I mean, you get a couple of runs early there, but that wasn't necessarily the main storyline. I mean, let me just go ahead and ask it this way, Ari, if I tell you Brandon Walter yesterday five innings scoreless. What are we saying after that game?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you think that Brandon Walter helped deliver and steal a win for you, because nobody is expecting Brandon Walter to go out and give you five scoreless innings on eighty pitches.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and he goes out there. It does that.
Speaker 4: But I mean, I talked about it last night on the Tenth Inning Show. It's just I understand. There's no yord On. You don't have Jiner Diaz yesterday because of a scheduled day off. Jose Al Tuve does get a couple of hits, but it's yet again, it's another one of these day after shows where we're saying those guys did not do enough, The bats did not do enough.
Speaker 5: This lineup is just so inconsistent and something that's been going on with the Astros for the past couple of years. The haucyon days of the twenty nineteen lineup and looking at that and going, oh my god, where is there a break for a pitcher that's gone. They're gonna have to find and pick their spots. This is a completely new team. The length of this lineup can be in question sometimes and they did not come up with the couch hits. And there are some nights they do, and there are some nights they don't. The Rays always have sort of interesting relief pitching. They're one of these teams and organizations like the Astros that are really good at getting guys out of nowhere. Like nobody knows who Edwin Ucette is, and he's been one of the best relievers in baseball. Last year he was incredible. Well, then they just find these guys out of nowhere. The Astros are good at it. Two. But this is a game that you could have won. And I'm not necessarily going to blame the b bullpen for this, but you can hit more than this against the Rays.
Speaker 4: You should be able to. I mean, you mentioned it that Zach Lettel goes. I mean this is also to a Rays just pitching staff across the board. For as good as you mentioned some of those guys are, they are the textbook definition of mid They are a three eight eight er at least coming into the yesterday's game. They're right in the middle of the league, fifteenth in overall team er and you can only manage six runs against them in the first two games. Again, the lineup. We've said it numerous times. Sometimes they do enough, and nights like last night, they don't do enough.
Speaker 5: A lot of the times they do just enough. And that's something where there aren't that many games, especially recently. Last year was a good example of this. They don't break out that often. There isn't that big five, six, seven run inning. It's happened recently once or twice, but it doesn't happen all that much. And then you look around the league at these different teams, especially in the National League. There's such a difference between the National League and the American League. Right now, the Yankees are good most of the time, the Tigers are really good this year, and then what in the American League. That's why Astros fans shouldn't necessarily be panicked, because anybody can win the AL. Nobody is that scary in the AL. Yeah, the Tigers look pretty good. The Yankees are whatever they are. They have the talent to win the American League, clearly, but that's it. There's no one else that is scary. Then you get to the World Series. You got the Dodgers, you got the Phillies, the Mets, the Braves. You have the Diamondbacks look really good, you have the Padres look really good, and then randomly the Cardinals are somehow playing pretty well and the Cubs are sort of decent this year. So you have a number of teams where you look down the league and the Diamondbacks can explode for seven runs, you know, the Dodgers can explore for seven runs.
Speaker 1: The Astros just don't do it enough. No, they don't.
Speaker 4: And that's something that we just continuously are waiting for with this team. And I mean there's individual performances too that you can point to, not just this game, but just overall that. Obviously we'll get into as the show moves along, which by the way, to Wednesdays, that means Dana Brown nine point thirty joins us, and we'll get into not only the current guys that are healthy, but also do wanted to try to get an update on yourd on maybe even I mean, you know, pitching wise, we were just talking about it. Spencer Raghetty, what's next for him? Soon enough? Hopefully get forced Whitley back, in which I would probably if I were going to put a wager on it, have to guess that he's activated. Tomorrow that I think you have him for that Mariners series, and you mentioned it too. You go at the B bullpen last night, Sean Dubin gives you a couple of good innings, a couple of walks in there, but still able to give you scoreless relief. And Steven Okert, I mean, dude, I threw this out on Twitter as soon as it happened. Nothing makes my blood boil than an O two count and you hit a guy like nothing makes me like more enraged than that.
Speaker 5: Which Steven Okert's been incredible so far this season. He's one of those guys that that's a find, right Like, He's a guy that has had success in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: He had a down year last year.
Speaker 5: There's a reason that he was available for basically nothing this offseason, and then they tweaked and figured out what it is that they can do to make him effective, and he's been really good to start the year. But that is what happens when you are using your B bullpen. That is what happens when half your bullpen is guys that you have claimed off waivers or signed off the street. There is a wide range of outcomes and sometimes that's the outcome that a guy that's been really good all year is going to have an off night. That even you know, Briana brew has off nights, but you know that those off nights are few and far between. With Briana Bray, you range of outcomes is a little different when it comes to the Steven Oaktz, the Bennett Suss's, the Sean Dubins and give credit to the Astros, those guys have been good most of the year. You can't expect it all the time. And last night was one of those nights.
Speaker 4: No, And I mean that's the thing is for you know, me dinging him there in the initial I mean it's also you have to remember he's got a two point oh one era, so that shows you how good he's been this year. But I mean last night was definitely not one of those. He hits a batter, gives up a base hit, then gives up a double steal after he looked the guy back to second before he took off.
Speaker 1: It's like, if you have.
Speaker 5: An idea that he's going to go, then step off, step off. Yeah, there's It's something that's been troubling the Astros all year is controlling the running game. And those are just some of the little things that winning teams are better at doing. And you know, we talked about the lineup, but there are these small things that they can do better at and relievers controlling the running game. And this isn't something that's on the catchers. I mean these catchers that they have Diaz, Victor Karattini and says our Salas are even though he never gets in the game, I don't know, does just give him one at bad give my guy says are a game a day. Their pop times are great, they get up, they make the throw. The pitchers are the ones that are struggling to control the running game. And Killibort came in. You saw immediately like real quick slidestep on his first pitch because Joe Spottamus has said.
Speaker 4: Something now, I mean it's and it's something that at times they've been able to do a better at but not only trying to keep runners from taking the extra base, but also you being able to take the extra base. Although jose Al Twove does steal second last night, so that was nice to see. But I mean that's been one of the biggest achilles heels for this team is both of those part of the game where you're like, Okay, you can't throw guys out, and then you get thrown out trying to steal a base. Like it's almost kind of to a point where it's like, just stop trying to take an extra base.
Speaker 1: Seriously, man, they should they should keep trying to do it.
Speaker 5: I want them to be as aggressive on the basis as pos because you have some of the fastest guys in the league, guys that you wouldn't even expect. Cam Smith is so fast he gets on late in the game and then try to steal you know, Chaz, They try to have him bunt over and Chaz has got to do a better job bunting than that. He's trying to like stab at it high. I know he can bunt better, and I've seen Chaz lay down sacrifice bunts before, so I don't know why yesterday he decided to have one of the worst bunting performances of his career because he's a guy that can do it. But Cam can run and should run more. Jeremy Payne, you can run and should run more. And they were really aggressive really early this year, like the first few weeks of the season. It's like whoa Pina's got three stolen bases? Here we go, We're starting to get to the thirty stolen base mark for a guy that's like the eighth fastest guy in the league. And then you look at Cam Smith's sprint speed and it's like and then you asse him come around third on like a single off a second, You're like, whoa Cam Smith can steal some basses? And whoa Jake Myers can steal some bases? Then do run?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: I get a little bit because running is hard on your body. But if sho Hao Tani, who is one of the most valuable assets in the sport, who is huge, If you've ever stood anywhere near sho Hao Tani, he is six three two twenty. He's a big, kind of lumbering guy who looks like a monster on the baseball field. If he can steal fifty bases, slide, put all that torque trying to get off a first base and slide and dive and do all that stuff and put all that on his body.
Speaker 1: So can you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and you know, I know that you're a big Proponent's on the twenty twenty watch for Jeremy Peney this year. I'm thinking that it's it's very much in play for him, and I mean, yeah, that would feed into it.
Speaker 1: It should be.
Speaker 5: I mean, he he has the ability to steal thirty and there's a reason that they talked about betting him a car to steal fifty this year because when you are one of those fastest sprint speed guys, and I know that he's been working on timing the reads off the pitchers and that's where Kyle Tucker was so good, because Kyle Tucker is not fast. Kyle Tucker is like a twenty six point whatever sprint speed guy. So for those of you at home who are not obsessive with sprint speed, thirty is elite elite. Twenty eight is really good. PAYNYA is at twenty nine point I think six this year is at twenty nine point eight last year. So it's the average. And then there are bolts, which is how many times you run and it's higher than thirty feet per seconds. That's what we're looking at numbers wise. So if you can do thirty, you're the fastest guy in the game. This is Bobby Witt that we're talking about is like a thirty guy Trey Turner, those kind of guys. Twenty nine is still insane, twenty eight is really good, and then like twenty six twenty seven is like, you're not a bad runner, and then everything below that is like Martin Maldonado. Right, So Paya is like twenty nine point eight. You have Cam Smith. I think it's like twenty nine to three. Myers is twenty eight something. Kyle Tucker was twenty six to seven, and he's stealing thirty bases, not because he's fast, but because he has the ability to read every little tick that a pitcher does, and he does the preparation. And that's something that Jeremy Penny, I know, worked on because last year he worked on it in the offseason before last year, and he didn't feel like he was that good at it, something we'd have conversations about. And then this year it felt like I'm getting better at this, like I'm starting to figure out reads on pictures, and early in the year it looked like he was doing it, and I'm kind of trying to figure out why isn't running more and why Cam Smith? And I know, like Cam Smith's a rookie. Cam Smith barely had any minor league experience very little obviously major league experience. This the first six weeks of the year.
Speaker 1: But try it.
Speaker 5: He's fast, and you can't use his size as an excuse of like, oh, we don't want him awkward sliding and getting hurt because he is the same size as show Heo Tani and Shoeo Tani is a seven hundred million dollar player who is sliding, however many times a game because he is stealing these bases.
Speaker 1: And you can't have these guys run. Cam Smith can run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got cheat the angles as much as you possibly can. And the Astros, I mean especially two, with how inconsistent this lineup can be. That's something that they strive to try to do. So, Yeah, they lose last night three to two to the Rays. Rubber game this afternoon, coming your way here on Sports Talk seven to ninety noon. First pitch here on Sports Talk seven to ninety Hunter Brown against Taj Bradley in that one Western Conference Finals in the NBA last night goes the Thunderway over the Timberwolves. Game one in the East tonight between the Knicks and the Pacers, and the NFL allowing four players to take part in the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympic flag football and a Texan might factor in at least if this one site has their way of building out that flag football team. We'll get into all of that here as the show goes along. Se T two five seven ninety is the number to get in against seven one three two one two five seven nine zero. But coming up here continue the Astros conversation because it seems like Ari this is now a problem that we just cannot avoid it. When it comes to this part of the Astros will discuss that.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 4: It is Sean Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Back to it, Ah Townen, pry On Jo, bring the joke, Let's go. The Sean Salisbury Show continues most definitely on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: It's got a cult following. I don't even think it has a cult following. Like most people don't even know it's out there. Alec Baldwin's in it, Sean Hitassi, Amy Smart was in it and it's a funny movie. And he's one of the guys that's part of the card game, along with Richard Jenkins, the dad from Step Brothers. He's in that. He throws on the New England accent in it. It's a great movie.
Speaker 5: You are, yeah, I mean as if you guys can't see at home. But the look on my face.
Speaker 4: Is just like amazing sound, amazing soundtrack, Outside Providence, Outside, amazing soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the whole yes, it does. In the whole movie is Sean Hitossi's character. He's kind of you know, high school screw up up there, and he gets in trouble because he and his buddies get high and they crash into a parked cop car with the cop in it. Nobody gets hurt, but still, I mean, you know you do that, you're gonna get in a little bit of trouble. And his dad's friend, who says he's connected gets him into a prestigious boarding school up there in New England, and hi everything else, you know, the sort like John Abrams is in it and his name is Drugs Delaney and he writes him a letter and it gets intercepted by the school and they start reading it and he's like, you know, do you have enough of this or do you need me to send you more? And uh, of course they're like, you know, how many people named drugs?
Speaker 1: Can you associate yourself? Just one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it doesn't have an amazing soundtrack, even though I got it when I was a kid, and I'm not quite sure for what reason. Wild Wild West I want to say I was like seven or eight years old. This was peak Will Smith fame. If you remember, Burger King had the promotion where if you get yourself a whopper, you get the sunglasses that Will Smith and whoever they got Kevin Klein plays Artemis Gordon wore and you have the silver ones and the gold ones, the sunglasses they wore in Wild Wild West. And for whatever reason, I was like, I want the soundtrack to Wild Wild West.
Speaker 1: So we walked over to best Buy.
Speaker 5: I thinks always remember I was in the summer staying with his family in Brooklyn and walked over to best Buy and got the soundtrack to Wild Wild West and Unleash the Dragon by Cisco, which I had the Thong song on it. Of course, So those are two of my first album purchases of all time.
Speaker 1: Oh it's the.
Speaker 4: Ones you always remember, and it's you know, I thought you were going to say that, then you guys went over to Burger King and got.
Speaker 1: Those I got those sunglasses. So there was a good Day.
Speaker 5: I make fun of people who have like the transition lenses because they remind me of the sunglasses from the Burger King from Wild wild West.
Speaker 4: There you go, And that was also too prime, you know, like you said, those are the prime Will Smith hears. That was also any movie that Will Smith did well, I mean, then he's got to have the presenting track on the soundtrack.
Speaker 1: That's part of it. I mean Men in Black he had it.
Speaker 4: I always remember the music video too, of the dance the alien doing the dance with them. It's the things you remember, Yeah, I mean will Smith run late nineties was like undefeated and the song Wild wild West not great, but at the time, eight year old me was into it. I was locked in on the Will Smith Wild wild West track.
Speaker 1: Then his wife ruined his career and his reputation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's been a less of an easy time for the guy.
Speaker 1: It has.
Speaker 4: I'm thumb here though, for when we have the Will Smith come back, it's gonna happen. It will he'll he'll do the right things. He'll finally distance himself away from that wretched person and be able to have the bounce back, and people will be like see still a good guy like my buddy for example, would run into him all the time out in La said, couldn't have been nicer. And the other thing is too he goes grey because you know, obviously in the movies, yeah he's died up for it, but he goes when you see him when he's not working grey hair.
Speaker 5: I'm waiting for the late career role where he has like a they'll put him in like a serious Christopher Nolan movie where he has a supporting role where he's just later later in the career where he's no longer kind of a bankable star, and then he just like nails it and wins wins an Academy Award for being you know, the like I'm thinking of Oppenheimer here, but like he's like a scientist and he doesn't do like the Nigerian accent he did in the Concussion movie, and he just like nails his eighteen minutes on screen.
Speaker 1: Oppenheimer. What a movie.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, his brother, I think his name was Frank Oppenheimer wrote a song called the Adam Bomb, which maybe one of these days I have triple le pull it up. But I remember the buddy of mine was like you know he he has that song right, and it's like one of those like kitchy like sixties songs. Yeah, you know the ad bomb, the ad bomb, Like that's the whole hook of the song. And uh, you know you also realized if if you followed up Inheimer's life, the guy was a wild boy.
Speaker 1: Man, he was a little bit of a wild.
Speaker 5: Cardppenheimer's a wild boy. That's great, dude. He was like he was a woman. He really, he really was.
Speaker 4: Like it's just like, not only is he building like massive weapons of mass destruction, but he's also too he's slaying in other ways.
Speaker 5: He's James Harden of theoretical physics. That's that's pretty much what he was.
Speaker 4: But it's uh, it's me and Sean had this discussion too of like what cracks me up about that is when they're talking about, hey, what happens when we detonate this thing, and they're kind of all like, I don't know, I guess we could all go yeah, that good movie.
Speaker 5: And uh, it's just funny to think of him in those terms of these guys like trying to say essentially save the world for continuing war. And then also he's on this like two am, like, hey, you up whatever they in the forties, the version of you is, yeah, now he was, he was throwing rocks off the window. But to you know, kind of do that.
Speaker 4: There were there were many different ways of trying to risk back then, much more than the U up text.
Speaker 1: I mean, good for offen Iraman. Yeah, he was.
Speaker 5: Multi talented, multi faceted man.
Speaker 1: That's it man, he was. He was not only you know.
Speaker 4: As Harry Carey, as Will Ferrell or Will Ferrell as Harry Carey, you know, asked Jeff Goldbloom, would you rather have a debilitating disease or be the best scientists in your field?
Speaker 5: I think we know which one that Oppenheimer chose. Yeah, both of them. That's well, the debilitating disease with this man was too horny.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, well you know, we all have our crosses, I guess. But anyway, a little history lesson for y'all here on the Sean Salisbury Show. I do want to get into just a ongoing topic on this show. Christian Walker is. I mean, it's it's yet again rearing its uglyhead. We'll do that here. As you know, this segment, we got wild Wild West, we got Oppenheimer and uh oh outside Providence is what got us all going because of George wentz So and and you know, as usually when things like this happen, you know, people pass away that had great roles on shows, memorable roles. You'll have people who will put together the compilations on social media, and somebody put together all of his when he walks into Cheers and everybody.
Speaker 1: Oh Norm.
Speaker 4: And I never realized the blonde on there would always say Norman because you know, you'd have coach Ernie Pantuso. Is there an Ernie Pantuso, that's you coach?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: He would always be the loudest of Norm, you know, whenever he'd walk in. But I never realized that he had one liners whenever he'd come in, you know, didn't I've seen like four episodes of Cheers. I'm more of a Fraser guy. Okay, Fraser dominated that wash.
Speaker 1: I mean you could. First of all, you couldn't. I mean they're doing it.
Speaker 5: I love I love when people said and I just fell into this, like, oh you couldn't do that show today, which you couldn't, And there's like backing this up. They are and it's not going well, right, Fraser doesn't work today, even though you know it's on Paramount Plus or whatever, there's no way that people are watching it. And then back when they had it originally on in the nineties, it crushed, right, It won all these these Emmy Awards, the ratings because you know, TV was different and you didn't have ten thousand options. On Netflix, there's like eight shows you can watch. People watched all of that, and so I'm a little too young for Cheers, although I've seen like maybe four episodes ever, But shout out to them for the spinoff. It was incredible, Like how many times I know it used to be spinoffs back in the day, like All in the Family, and then the Jefferson's was a spinoff of All in the Family, and then yeah, it didn't really work out for Joey Tribiani. Yeah, that one didn't work. But back in the day, they used to do this all the time. And Fraser did great, like Young Sheldon somehow worked as a spinoff. Apparently it was better than Big Bang Theory. I've never seen an episode of Young Sheldon, but I've heard that it, you know, did well and had the long run. Yeah, but yeah, I mean they got all these seasons out of Cheers. It's this legendary show, and you know, you know the actors well enough to where we're talking about George went here and then Fraser goes on for like eleven seasons and wins a million Emmys, And arguably it was a better show by the trophy count, for sure, And it made the careers of Kelsey Grammer and David Hype Pierce and John Mahoney and all these other people. Eddie the Dog and Eddie the de Moose, Yeah the real name of the dog. I don't know why I know that, but yeah, they I mean that used to be a thing where like any show did decently. They're like sitting in this boardroom, going, how can we spin this off? How can we take the the wacky like kid character that's been in three episodes and turn this into syndication?
Speaker 1: That was like all they did in these board rooms.
Speaker 6: See.
Speaker 4: That's the funny thing is I remember so many years ago said they could have made a spin off after Seinfeld of George Costanza said, you know that they did. It was called Kurby your Enthusiasm. Because George Costanza was built off Larry David.
Speaker 5: You could make a lot of spinoff Kramer, I'm surprised they didn't try to do a well he canceled himself, but yeah, I'm surprised they didn't try to do that. I'm surprised that Julia Louis Dreyfus ended up having to do The New Adventures of Old Christine, which I'm sure ran for more seasons than it should have, but they didn't. I feel like today, if there was this big of a hit as Seinfeld today, they would have tried nine spinoffs show like Peterman's got his own spinoff. David Puddy, like, let's give let's give Patrick Warburton something to do.
Speaker 4: I remember, funny Enough Peterman years ago. It was the twenty eleven Sweet sixteen Elite eight when he was here in town. That was when Baylor played Duke. John Shier was on that Duke team, you know all of that, and I just remembered, funny enough, Matt Thomas sitting near us and we're, you know, walking to the seats, and we're like, is that the guy that played Peterman off Seinfeld? And then we found out yes, it was, because he is. His wife went to Baylor and they were at the game and I was like, I'm kind of tempted, Like I'm kind of tempted to go and you know, hey, man, big fan, which it's just kind of like, hey, that's that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm here to watch the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's one of those where you just let those His name is something Hurley, right.
Speaker 4: I think the actor, Yeah, I think so. It's kind of like did you ever see the video last year where an Auburn fan tried to go up to Bo Jackson at the Auburn basketball game and tried to do the selfie thing and Bo was like.
Speaker 1: No, I'm watching the game.
Speaker 4: He's very much that like it's it's it's not you know, being rude, but it's still like, you know, it's just like hey, like no, I'm not here for that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: There's time and place for the autographs the pictures today, ain't it. But anyway, we'll get back into the Astros conversation as we continue along here on the Sean Salisbury Show. Ari Alexander in for Sean right here on a Western Wednesday Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 7: Hey, if you your current wealth manager isn't hitting it out of the park for you to step up to plate with Traasan wealth. Listen, if you're at a retirement stage, or you're thinking about retirement, or you're twenty years away, I would say the closer you are, the more urgent you should be.
Speaker 1: But why not get out in front of it and start. So this is to everybody.
Speaker 7: Make sure your wealth management manager is stepping up and talking to you about the risk tolerance and for one k rollover and how much money you're going to need to retire and stay retired, all these things that come to fruition. Are you prepared for downswings, for inflation, for market in all those things, for market, for national debt? Are you prepared for it? And if you're not, you need a wealth manager. And if you are prepared, good, how about somebody who stands shouldered shoulder with you that can help you extend that so when you do retire, you don't have to come out of retirement because well I was forced.
Speaker 1: I don't have any money.
Speaker 7: It's harder to overcome when you're seventy than it is when you're thirty. Trasian wealth can help you along the way. You got questions, they got answers. Local trusted financial fiduciary, which means they're obligated to you three four six three seven one thirty three thirty for your free review.
Speaker 1: It's free.
Speaker 7: It's your money, it's your retirement, it's your legacy, it's your peace of mind. Let Trasian Wealth Help three four six three seven one thirty three thirty or Trasianwealth dot com. That's Trationwealth dot com Advisory Services off of through Trasian Wealth LLC and SEC registered investment advisor.
Speaker 1: Paid advertisement.
Speaker 4: For the Shawn Salisbury Show continued, allowing for players to take parts in the twenty twenty eights Summer Olympics flag football and a little bit later on there was a site out there that put out a what they would go with with their Olympic team for flag football, and at Texan makes the list. So we'll see if we agree or maybe even disagree a little bit later on, but we're talking astros right now. seOne three two, one two five seven ninety the number two get in and uh, you know, Ari, I've thrown this outs, and I mean just as long as this continues, I will continue to throw this out. Christian Walker, and I understand what the fan reaction is at times when you bring up the name Christian Walker right now, Jose to Brady two point zero and the Astros can't figure out first base whatever it might be. But has a nice game on Friday night, he has to go ahead, three run homer there. That was nice to see. You love seeing that he's got the RBI double on Saturday. But you are you aware he has not gotten a hit since that RBI double there in the first inning Saturday night. He's oh for his last fourteen he he can't be getting into stretches like this, and especially at first base, right, Like, you have a fan base that is gunshye now about any first baseman over the age of twenty five, you know, right like they're Leo DiCaprio over here, like you're above twenty five and we're worried about you. It hasn't worked out at the plate so far, which is unfortunate because because of Hooseir, Right Like, you had Yuli Guriel for years and years and years, and he would have his ups and downs, but for the most part was this really good player. And there's a lot of fans out there that it's unrealistic that would be like, oh, I couldn't have just kept Yulie. Well, they tried to make an upgrade and it didn't work, and then obviously they cut ties with Jose Bray You and now these free agent markets at first base have been weird because either you go all out and you get Pete Alonzo, and the deal that Pete Alonzo was looking for did not fit what the Astros do, and he didn't even get the deal that he was looking for, and he's obviously punished everyone by having a tremendous start of the year, and he also didn't want to leave New York and there was no way that the Astros were realistically in on Pete Alonzo. So you go down to the next tier of guy.
Speaker 5: And the reason that Christian Walker came at the price he did, which twenty million over three years is not that bad twenty sixty million, because he was a little older, and so that's the trade off you get. Because Christian Walker was a late bloomer. He was a guy that's good player at South Carolina and then it took him a while to be something at the major league level, and then he had a number of great years in Arizona, but it started really late in his career, and so he's kind of making up for lost time. And then you signed the guy and it's like, whoa, We're getting this guy in his mid thirties, Like what are we doing here? And you hope that he produces immediately and he hasn't at all, and you can tell it's wearing on him a little bit. But the good thing is the defense has been solid. Last year was an absolute black hole at first base defensively, and if your infield defense is bad, there is rot that comes from that everywhere else on the field. And it's been much improved this year. Pain just having a good defensive season. Eastcock Paradus has been better on defense than anyone could have expected. Even Dana Brown, who will talk to you later, when we talked to him in the offseason, his assessment of eastcoc Paratus at third base was, well, this guy is probably a little below average to average, and we think that he can be averaged to slightly above average.
Speaker 1: He's been above average. He's been really good.
Speaker 5: He has been at the top level of what you could want from esak Paratus. Christian Walker is doing his job defensively. There's more scoops, there's more just casual plays that he makes that got a lot of them. John Singleton had no chance of making last year with the month that Jose Brady was playing, no chance of making. And then all the backups that you use of Victor Kartini and Racio Dubon who are out of position, We're not gonna make those plays. But you can't be hitting below the Mendoza line as the big free agent signing for a team that is trying to compete for a pennant and it is May twenty first, and he still hasn't figured it out.
Speaker 1: It is troubling.
Speaker 5: I don't think he's gonna end up finishing this year at like, oh, he's sitting two oh seven with only sixteen home runs, Like his end of the year numbers are gonna be fine, probably, but they're not going to be good unless he just goes on a massive tear. And you keep waiting for it to happen because it's in there, he has the ability to do it. But as he gets later and later, like, when is it going to happen? Right, it doesn't happen. What if it happens in August? And then by the end of the year, you look at his numbers and It's like this is the worst full season this guy's ever had.
Speaker 4: Well, and then you got two more years of it too, which would make people a little uneasy when it comes to that. But we'll continue this discussion because I mean, I know how Joe a spot It feels a certain way about this topic, but I mean continue to have to disagree with him on that, So we'll talk about that here. Benjamin c you right there, and as a he alluded to, don't forget nine thirty This morning, Dana Brown joins us for his weekly visit here on the Sean Salisbury Show. We continue on a Western Wednesday Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Let the celebration start core Sean Salisbury.
Speaker 1: It's a Sean Salisbury.
Speaker 8: Show one two one two four.
Speaker 4: Part of Flag Football and actor George went cheers fame passing away at the age of seventy six. Someone three two one two five seven ninety will continue the Christian Walker conversation, but Benjamin wants to weigh in to get us started this morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Benjamin, how you doing.
Speaker 9: Hey, good morning guys. Thanks for taking my call this morning. Uh, I just wanted to talk to you real quick about your upcoming conversation with Dana Brown this morning a particular a few personnel questions. One I want to talk with dealing uh with Cam Smith and the PPI Prospect Promotion Incentive stipulation that says, I, if you win Rookie of the Year, you'll get a first round pick, or you'll you'll get a draft pick at the end of the first round. And UH just wanted to see Dana's thoughts on like how much they've weighed that as far as to you know, potentially keep Cam up or to send him back down, because as I understand right now, to qualify as a rookie, you have to have you can't have any more than one hundred and thirty five at bats in a season, and Cam's getting pretty close to that threshold, and as well as you can't be on the major league active roster I believe for more than forty five days. So I think he may have actually crossed that unfortunately, but you know, with the way that the Rookie of the Year race is looking right now, I mean Cam would have to really really get going, and you know, I think it. You know, obviously he has gotten hot recently. They've been kind of tinkering with his stance a little bit. He's been, you know, kind of trying to work some things out. But you know, right now, Jacob Wilson with the Athletics, and you know, quite a few more guys, you know, Christian Campbell with the Red Sox have you know, outperformed him so far. So you know, especially when you got a guy like Shay Whitcomb, you know down triple A, who can know. I think his best infield position at second base, counsel play corner outfield for you to you know, had two games last week with multi he had a multi home run game and back to back games including a walk off home run last week. Yeah, I think he's a guy that we should be looking at potential to call up. You know, I know Cam is getting hot right now, but you know, it's just worth considering that PPI, especially to you know, try to bolster our FUM.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I appreciate the call, Benjamin. I honestly, that's the first I've heard of that, the PPI. Yeah, as is my wheelhouse. Oh yeah, that's why I was saying, that's why you're here. Uh, Cam Smith is not getting sent down. They're not trying to limit his at bats. They're not trying to limit his service time. They're not going to be messing around with that. And whether or not he wins Rookie of the Year has absolutely nothing to do with what cam Smith is going to be doing on this roster, and it's not necessarily about getting hot recently. Cam Smith is above replacement level as a major league player right now on every level. He is above the league average at the plate, he is playing a really solid right field defense from a range standpoint, and he hasn't really thrown out runners, but he's learning a brand new position. So if you're a team that is trying to win, you're gonna put your best twenty six out there on the roster and in this organization, even though he's twenty two years old, even though he's played four minutes of minor league baseball, he's one of your best twenty six. He is one of your best nine hitters in that he is having a better start to the year on offense than Christian Walker, jord On Alvarez, and Jose Altuve, among others on this Astros roster, including Zec Dezenzo, including Chas McCormick, Jiner Diaz Smith is one of your best players right now. He is worth almost a win already a war. I think he's at zero point nine, which would put him on pace this year to be like a three to four win player, which would be worth twenty plus million dollars in a free agent contract. I don't think the PPI stuff plays into it at all, the hope at the beginning of this year when they put him on the roster, other than to some degree justifying the Kyle Tucker trade of giving up one year of one of the best players in baseball for six years plus of a top prospect and several years of paratus and several years of Wesnewsky, which is a whole different conversation.
Speaker 1: But to me, for the most part, like they.
Speaker 5: Had the right idea, even if you're giving up that good of a player, but even if he doesn't win Rookie of the Year, like he's one of your better players. He's been good at the plate, he's been good in the field. He's already worth a win so far this season and has outplayed half your team. And one of the key reasons you mentioned why he's here is you're trying to win. I mean that's one of the main reasons you brought him up is because you feel like he is somebody that can help you out on pretty much a day in and day out basis. Although I mean, he's gotten his off days here and there, and it's hard to argue with the results too, and you've given him a day or two off. How it's not helped him be able to get going again when he seems like he's been found out. But to your point, too, are I mean, if you had any designs of limiting him, then he'd still be playing in Sugarland, or he'd be playing in Corpus Christie right now. He would not be up with the Astros. If you had any of those designs, you would do the post June one thing. We would be seeing Cam Smith after Memorial Day if those things were the case. Yeah, And that's the conversation that maybe they had in spring training. But it pretty quickly became evident that this guy can legitimately hit in a major league lineup, and it's going to be a while until he's at the top of the lineup. It's going to be a while until he's expected to really deliver the kind of result that a top half of the lineup player.
Speaker 1: Should but he is twenty two.
Speaker 5: He was incredibly impressive enough to get himself on a major league roster with barely any minor league time and all he's done. And I know it's been quiet, and Jacob Wilson has been really good, and Christian Campbell has been good for the Red Sox, and there's some other players who are going to finish ahead of him in the Rookie of the Year race unless he turns it on. I mean, Sugano for the Orioles has been good this year. Kid for the White Sox, a pitcher, and Shane Smith, like there's guys that have been playing well. But if you're the Astros and you have Cam Smith playing semi regularly, you want him to get better, which it feels like he has. You want him to play a passable right field, which he more than has, and you want him to do enough to justify his role, which he absolutely has. And I don't think there is anybody in this there's a reason he is their top prospect or no longer a prospect. I think he's graduated. There's a reason that there is nobody else in the minor league system, even close. There's a reason you trade for camp Smith because your minor league system is not strong at the top. It is Bryce Matthews, he was in Triple A, who if he got called up right now, I'm not sure what role he would occupy or whether he would be able to hit major league pitching. It is Jacob Melton, who has had lingering injuries. And it's Shay Whitcomb, who is not really rated that highly as a prospect, And you don't necessarily know what position he's going to play at the major league level because he struggled defensively when he got called up and they're bouncing them around in sugar Land. And to Benjamin's point, second base may be his best position right now, because that's what they need. They need a second baseman if you're continuing to commit to Jsel two bain left and Brendan Rodgers hasn't been hitting all that well, although he's played good defense. That's the only slot you can have for appreciate wacombe, But where else? And what like crushing in Triple A in the Pacific Coast League doesn't mean a whole lot versus cam Smith is hitting above league average in Major League baseball against major league pitching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and you know, in terms of trying to find guys that can be consistent in this lineup, I mean, he as of late has been one of those guys you can count on it. You're hoping that you can continue to see that out of him. Christian Walker. We've touched on him a little bit, Brian, so you want to get in on that topic. Conversation seven one three two one two five seven ninety is the number two. Join Brian right there as the hour one is in the books seven o'clock hour ahead, will continue the stros conversation right here.
Speaker 1: It is Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 7: You don't need a reason to go to J bar M Barbecue other than you like great food and great customer service. How many of you have gone over there on the weekend, sat out there, brought your dog out and had some little breakfast tacos or grab some of those drink or food specialist is set out in the back man yesterday was a phenomenal day. Or when the sun starts to set and say I'm go to have me some barbecue and some of the great sides.
Speaker 1: Ever, well you got it. You got the Hall of Fame menu.
Speaker 7: You can order with Joe Spot Orders, you can order with you know, with Kelvin Sampson or Clyde direx or they got all that Hall of Fame menu and the menu is Hall of Fame Ish great food. Whether I don't care if it's cheddar, sausage or jalapeno, I don't care, if it's the sides and the potatoes, ald mac and cheese. They got everything you want. So you do not have to have an event nearby to want to go to Jbarm Barbecue. There is no reservations needed. It's a twenty two oh one Leland. People are coming from far and wide to go there. It is the best barbecue and customer service in this state. So if you're traveling somewhere else for barbecue, stop going into Jbarn Barbecue, whether it's a weekend or during the week and realize, man, it's not only efficient, the food's off the charts. And if you're coming from two miles or two hours away, I would suggest you make Jbarn Barbecue the reason it's Jbarn Barbecue dot com jbarn.
Speaker 1: Barbecue dot com.
Speaker 7: With the food in the customer service, you're not gonna find it any better anywhere.
Speaker 1: Jbarr m Barbecue dot.
Speaker 11: Com, KBM E Houston, k t V E h D two Houston, an iHeart radio station.
Speaker 1: As a Rocket.
Speaker 2: This is Sports Talk seven ninety, your home for your home teams from the Parsons that Matchine Next Studios, Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Ol Salisbury House. Okay, let's do this. Sean Salisbury, Salisbury to usc.
Speaker 6: Trop longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 2: Dan Matthew, excuse, this is the Sewan Salsbury Show.
Speaker 4: Dana Brown Astros g I'm gonna join us nine to thirty here for his weekly visit here on the show. Astros lose last night three to two to the Rays. Rubber game of the series coming up this afternoon in Tampa Bay and the NBA Western Conference Finals Game one. Thunder taken down the Timberwolves last night, take a one zero lead in that series. Someone three two, one, two, five seven ninety the number two jump in and Ari. You know, we were talking a little bit about Christian Walker earlier. I know that you've got some numbers on him. But Baseball Reference obviously a great page where you can go and be able to see, you know, any types of stats that you want to see splits all of those other things. And the splits that I've been going back to quite a bit as of late is Christian Walker where he hits this year, batting third? Three times they've done it. And if I'm not mistaken, was it Friday or Saturday night that they batted him third? I think it was Friday night that they did, and he hit the three run homer, so I mean things worked out obviously for him. Actually, no, it was he batted fourth that night. I think it was the Saturday night. It doesn't matter. Four forty four with an OPS of nine eighty three hitting third this season, batting fifth this season three thirty three in nine games. So he's had thirty three at bats, eleven hits out of those, and over one thousand OPS this season. But then you ask yourself, well, Dan, with those numbers, how's he batting one ninety eight on the season. That's because in the one hundred and thirty five at bats he's had in thirty five games this year, hitting fourth in the cleanup spot one forty eight with a four to sixty OPS like that, OPS usually will get you sent down, not even not in the starting lineup, not even coming off the bench to hit. That's a oh, you need to go work on some things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's strange that he would just randomly be hot in the three spot. Five spot makes a little bit more sense, but struggling out of the four spot. You can't really move him up because one thing I noticed you mentioned baseball reference.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna one up you here. I got baseball savant up and Chile Darren Willman went to college with that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah. His walk rate has dropped precipitously this year. It's down to seven percent. He was in the tens, which was pretty good. So last year, if you look at his numbers, he had a walk rate of ten percent, he had a strikeout rate of twenty four percent. Most everything was pretty good in his offensive profile. This year, everything is dropped off. His bat speed is still good. He's still barreling the ball, he's still hitting the ball hard. His average ax of velocity is still good, but everything else is down. It's not squaring up the ball. His strikeout rate is twenty six point six percent. In his peak that was like nineteen nineteen something, so his strikeout rate is spiked up. His walk rate is down to seven and so that just means he's not seeing the ball that well. He's not getting deeper into counts the way that he had previously. He is hitting the ball hard, he is hitting the ball at people. This isn't an ageing, This isn't a loss of bat speed thing. This is an approach thing. And his approach at the plate when it comes to balls and strikes have just not been as good this year. And I don't know what the solution is because you can't move him up because you want a guy to get on base. That's what Estoc Paratus is. Estoc Paratus in the two and three spot has been great because he gets on base. Jose al Tuovey has the cache to hit wherever he wants in the order, and you can figure it out and then you have jord On Alvarez. Wouldn't be the worst idea to me to put jord On in the fourth spot. Keep this setup that you have going with Paynat one Paratus is two, I'll two B three. Put jord On back at the four and then Christian Walker in the five spot. The problem is who's his lineup protection? Because right now the only guy in that bottom of the order is hitting consistently are as two guys as Jake Myers and Victor Krarrottini. So do you just continue playing Victor Krarrottini full time, which would take away at bats from behind your Diaz, Or do you move Jake Myers into the sixth spot, which Jake Myers could also have two three straight down games and you're trying to rely on him for a lineup protection for Christian Walker's not necessarily the best idea. Or you got to believe that Yin or Diaz in that sixth spot is going to turn it around. Or you move Paya out of the one spot which has been working. There are a lot of lineup construction questions, especially when the focus is getting Christian Walker going well. I think there's a couple of things say there. I mean, number one, with Kartini, you want to try to linthen this lineup as much as possible. He gives you that opportunity to do that right now, So I mean, I think that's one of the intentional things that you're doing, is to help yourself offensively. But also I think with the jiner is to try to preserve how good his bat can be, so then that brings. Okay, then you play Jordon in left field quite a bit more, which if it were up to jord On, he'd play out there almost every day because he loves playing in the field.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact.
Speaker 4: I mean the numbers will even show you that he looks like he loves it even more the plate too. I think the L two a part of it that you just mentioned right there is Jordon coming back. Him being in this lineup already has that intimidation factor. We can't let that guy get going against us. That helps Altuve get going of he starts to see better, more pitches that he can handle and be able to try to barrel up and become the al twove that we've become accustomed to over these years. And al Tuove in the three spot does that with Jordon in the four spot, because I don't I don't think you can put jord On back in the three spot and Al two b in the four.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Maybe you put Estac Paradis down to protect someone, but I don't like that because Paradis is your best on base guy.
Speaker 1: I want him in the two spot right now.
Speaker 5: I actually like the move that they've done to move Al two by to the three to put Paradis behind Jeremy Paanya. That's been what Paenya in the leadoff spot's been working. Paradis getting on base has been working, and then you figure it out from there. And so if you can get those top four once Jordon comes back, I like altwove there because to have the lineup protection from Jordon, and that was the ideal last year a little bit with Al two Bay leading off yord on your best hitter in the two spot, which obviously they moved him back down to the three spot, but it works. I don't know how much you need to be worried about protecting Christian Walker rather than protecting Hosel Tube, because if Josel Tuoba gets going, and as much of size difference, like Christian Walker's a big guy, he's a first baseman Al two Bays obviously Al Tuoba. Over the years, you know who's got a higher ops between the two, Al two b. L two b is a better hitter than Christian Walker is and has been. Al two b is on a Hall of Fame track. If you can get him going, I think it helps the rest of the lineup.
Speaker 4: Well, it's also too I mean for you know what we've talked about with Walker with runners in scoring position this year, that's not been good. I mean, I told you where he's been in the four spot this year. That's also been another struggle this season for him. I mean, I just I feel like at this point it's a you're running into almost the point of insanity here when you continue to put him in this position. And last night, you know, you've had first inning struggles all year. I heard Sparky mentioned this last night. The Astros have scored nine times in the first inning this year. Shohe Otani all by himself has scored eleven times this season. That's how that's how poor this group has been. And by the way, this year, with runners in scoring position for Walker won seventy eight a homer with twelve runs batted in. He has struck out in the forty five at bats this year twenty one times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not good. It's not good at all.
Speaker 5: The strikeout rate thing that it matters, and they're I don't know if it's people are bringing up the hitting coaches, but there are guys that have spiked strikeout rates that have come from other organizations. One of them coming from a significantly worse organization, the worst organization, and his strikeout rate has spiked. Talking about Brendan Rodgers, Brendan Rodgers is striking out thirty seven percent of the time, which he never did in Colorado. He's doing a bunch of good things at the plate, process wise, not results wise, where he's hitting the ball really hard and he's got like phenomenal bat speed for a second basement, but he's striking out a lot. And Christian Walker is striking out way more than he did as a diamondback.
Speaker 1: Things you don't like to see.
Speaker 4: That's how it's been here in the early going for the Astros this year, which, by the way, to a programming notes, Dana Brown gonna have to push to tomorrow. He is getting ready for the draft out there scouting. So one thing we know about the guy of you know this, he's got the scout side and still has that part of himself in there. So he will join us tomorrow at nine point thirty here on the Sean Salisbury Show, so we'll catch up with him then. But coming up, it is the steakout. We do it every single week at this time, every single day. I mean, if the Shawn Salisbury Show is on. Well, then you get the steak out at this time, and yesterday was a pet peeve, Well today it's another pet peeve. You might think that I'm you know very much as Sean calls me disdain Dan. Well, I live up to my name with this one because this one it involves something that some of us enjoy doing and a lot of us don't enjoy doing.
Speaker 1: We'll discuss that here. It is Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 7: Sort of pro painters sort of with the csertopro dot com for your free estimate. Each and every sort of pro business is individually owned and operated. You want to dress up your home, give it a new fresh look for the spring, they can help you pick out the paint local and they're timely, and they'll treat your home the way it's supposed to be, like it's their own when it comes to making it look good.
Speaker 1: Don't just stop at the home, what about the business as well. Interior X.
Speaker 7: Here you've got a group that's going to do it right and a company that cares. As a guy who is a customer of curt of Pro, I'm so glad I chose them over my DIY because it looks great, and if there was anything wrong, they'd come back and fix it. They didn't have to, that's how efficient they were. It's sort of with the Sea sort of pro painters. Listen, it's expensive to own a home and a business. Why not make it look better. It's a pretty simple concept, right, and they can help. And twenty five hundred dollars or more spent on a paint job at your home. Twenty five hundred dollars did you spend that or more? You get ten percent discount between now and May fifteenth. Spend twenty five one hundred and more on your home the paint job interior next year. Get a ten percent discount between now and May fifteenth. Don't miss out on that great sale. It is curt of pro painters, sort of with the Sea cert of pro painters. That's painting happy.
Speaker 1: This is this Shawn Salisbury Show. Yes, yes, that's very nice. Now with that fresh leather scent.
Speaker 2: First on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: All right, Sean, what are you hearing out there now?
Speaker 2: The Salisbury's takeout, Salisbury's takeout on the.
Speaker 1: Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 4: We do it every day at this time and here on a western Wednesday on The Sean Salisbury Show. Astros three two losers last night to the Rays, rubber game of the series. Coming up this afternoon, the Thunder take Game one of the NBA Western Conference Finals against the Timberwolves. Game one Eastern Conference Finals tonight in New York between the Knicks and the Pacers.
Speaker 1: Adrian C you right there.
Speaker 4: We'll get to you here in just a few But are you're a workout guy. I'm guessing you'll you'll you'll get in, you know, either go into the gym, you know, maybe go get some miles in at the Memorial Park trail, you know, whatever that might be. I mean, you you try to keep yourself in shape. You gotta look presentable on TV like us radio guys, we don't have to look presentable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a little different. Yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 5: So I mean unless you're Adam and Adam and you know, and then you're simulcast on TV and people get to see us.
Speaker 1: So you got to tighten it up a little bit.
Speaker 4: So people look at working out, I feel like in one of two ways. Either they really enjoy it and it is a massive priority in their life and they'll do it all the time, or people look at it as almost like you're obligated because you want to be in somewhat pass shape, you want to be able to have a better quality of life, all of that, those aren't the issues here. The issue is the other people. Like I would say that like going to workout at a place that is a crowded gym, or maybe you do the class workouts CrossFit to any of the others that are out there, which I do. I need to do it more, but that's what I do. And it's sometimes it's the people around you that it's almost like air travel, you know, the airport. It's the people on the planes, it's the people in the airport. Like a buddy of mine has said it numerous times, and I can't agree with this more that it's almost like there's agency in some people's minds that once you go through security then you can pretty much act whatever way you want.
Speaker 1: And it's like, no, it's air travel.
Speaker 4: People are have anxiety, people are angry, whatever it might be. You know, just try to go about your own business and let them handle themselves. So yesterday, quick story here, be very fast, go to the workout, do it and cardio workout.
Speaker 5: All of that's fine. You know, you're able to use your own machine whatever it is.
Speaker 1: All of that.
Speaker 4: Afterwards we do accessory work and it was I think hip extensions and then GHD sit ups, but it was I think it was back extensions.
Speaker 1: Is the what you call it.
Speaker 4: It's where it's where you flip around and you do like almost kind of a reverse sit up there where you're hinging forward and then you know, trying to you know, help out the glutes and the hamstrings all of that. So it's one of those that there's only one of the ghds there, so we have to you know, split it between different people. There's one guy that is on it who's a very nice guy and he is very sociable, and somebody that was there for the next class. They're talking and it's one of those that it's like you're supposed to swap out like let other people and I'm standing there and it's kind of to the point too, like where it's like, Okay, I'm not trying to lurk, because I'm not lurking.
Speaker 1: I'm off like to the side.
Speaker 4: But it's like also too, like dude, have the presence of mind, Like hey, maybe that guy's trying to get on the machine and do this now. So then finally after he's done with the conversation, I'm thinking, Okay, you know, he's gonna do his work, get off, and it's fine. Still stays on it and starts talking to me. And it's just one of those that I didn't have the heart at the time to be like, dude, I'm trying to get work into I'm trying to just get my work done and get out of here.
Speaker 1: And it's things like.
Speaker 4: That that I'm just likeugh, man, like a little bit of awareness of the situation here, like we're all going through the struggle, we're all doing it. It's it's all of those things. But this is a reason why people don't work out. Yeah, I mean the crowded gym thing is not fun. So I typically go to a gym where there aren't a lot of people in it, not that many people know about it, it's not very packed. Or I'll go to the one in my apartment complex where there's very few people, or I'll go to time of day where there aren't I don't like to be in crowds.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the airport.
Speaker 5: That's the and I think It's less that people don't know how to act once they get through security. It's people don't know how to act insecurity. There should be two lines for like people who have been to an airport before and everyone else, or like there should be like a security guard that just looks at you and judges how efficient you are, and if you don't look like you're gonna be efficient, get to the other get to the other side. Like out up in the air did it perfectly at the George Clooney movie where he was like, I go in the line with the traveling businessmen because they pack light and they're efficient. Everyone else can go in the other line. You see the strollers stay away from that group out here. Nope, yeah, I like, and yes, I know that there are differences in airports and how they do things, like there are some that you do no longer have to take your shoes off, or you don't have to take out the laptop or whatever. And for the most part, TSA does a great job of screaming at you what your directions are, so follow the directions. It is not hard like it is so it was simple to be efficient at the airport, and ninety five percent of the people especially I'm fine.
Speaker 1: In the morning.
Speaker 5: I'm going to a Texans game or whatever on a Saturday morning. It's seven am. I'm not a morning person, and you're just standing there in line, just being inefficient. That drives me crazy. But yeah, the at the gym, yeah, you gotta have the presence of mind. I would have said something. I'm not a I'm more of the in the curb sense of like, all right, you've been sitting here chit chatting for twenty minutes, dilly dallying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get out of here. It's like, buddy, hey, let me get my core work in. I mean, I could probably use a little bit more core work, but it's like exactly that. And then one of one of the other ones is when I used to go to one of these crowded gyms, is you know, it's common courtesy that somebody comes up and you're doing I don't know, the chest press or whatever machine right there, and then somebody, you know, hey, do you mind if I work in? I remember once a guy goes, oh, I got about ten more minutes on this. I was like, this isn't a time thing, Dudeah. You do like your reps, you do your whatever amount of reps that you do for whatever regiments that you do of it, and then you get off the machine or in that case right there where it's something that's so easy as I can just pull the pen out, put it on the weight that I want, and then put it back where you were, and then you can.
Speaker 1: Get in and work.
Speaker 4: Then that's the part of it, Like there is a partnership that goes into this, especially like when it's shared equipment like that. And then you know the other one too is people who don't put their weights back up. Who's worse that don't put their weights back up? Or the overly loud grunters and people who want to let you know that they're working out, who after they're done will then in their cut off shirt hit the mere selfie, I would say, like people who don't put their weights back up because like you could trip over it.
Speaker 1: You have to do it. The staff has to do it.
Speaker 5: Like the grunting is annoying, but it's not like really directly affecting you, especially you know, I know anyone no one wears doesn't wear headphones of the gym, right, Like if you're listening to the gym music, you're a psychopath.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear.
Speaker 5: Late Age Maroon five and roar by Katie Perry over and over again, right, Like, you have your own stuff. So I have my my workout music. My headphone's on listening to push a T or whatever. If you're grunting over there, like I'll just turn the music up. That doesn't bother me as much. There was one guy I remember when I was in college at Missoo. There's a dude who was on the football team and then got off the football team. I think there was some sort of something and there was some rumors that he was doing steroids and he would go to the gym to do the steroids, and he I mean he was like, you know, to his credit, he's putting a massive weights guys like bench presdent won tens and yeah, he was just gotta know that this man was once on the football team.
Speaker 1: Like, good for you, bro, But that doesn't bother me as much.
Speaker 5: As you walk in, you see the dumbbell area and there's like out of order stuff bothers me. And then there's random ones on the ground, like there's twenty sitting here, there's a forty five sitting here. And there's two fifty five sitting here, like, it's not that hard to put your weights up.
Speaker 4: Man, And I mean it's just again to get back to the overall point of just be aware. And it's on top of it too, where you know, when you do these class settings like this, you will have some people who they've had a day and it's kind of like again getting back to like gauge the situation. Like air travel. Usually I get on a plane, same deal. AirPods are in whatever magazine book, which that's the old school way, but I give off cues. I feel like of hey man, just let me sit here, let me get my couple of pops from you know, the beverage carts, and aside from that, I just hope we don't have bad turbulence and we get there and we can all go about our business and just go about our days. But it's like if you've had a long day at that point and then you go get the work out in and you have the overly rambunctious person.
Speaker 1: Hey man, what's going on, Good to see you. How is your day? No, it's just like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, Bud, we're about to hit the warm up, right, now then we're gonna get into the workout, and then afterwards, if I've got enough endorphins, then maybe I will Hey man, good see you.
Speaker 1: How's your day? Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the good thing that I have I have because I'm Eastern European, I have kind of a natural face where like don't I have a good don't talk to me face, So I can do that where I'll just I'll just give a look. And that works at the gym, that works at the airport. That's works in a lot of places of just like, hey, it's eight in the morning. I'm not usually awake this early. Now is not the time, so that that does help sometimes. But yeah, I was on the plane last week and there was a guy. So I sit next to a guy and his wife. The wife was next to me, the guy was in the aisle seat. He would not shut up the whole flight about the dumbest stuff, telling his wife whatever, Like he spent like ten minutes on a dissertation about the lyrics to some Empire of the Sun song and how.
Speaker 1: Brilliant it was.
Speaker 5: It's like, bro, it's eight am, Like I just want to drink my apple juice, Like I don't you know, and he was so like, like, why are you happy?
Speaker 1: It's ain't the morning. We're on a plane like it, and.
Speaker 4: It's like Empire the Sun is fine, but like to like go like that part in for the Empire of the Sun.
Speaker 1: He was what's there there?
Speaker 5: It was whatever, their most popular song on the side whatever, walking on a dreams?
Speaker 1: Man, man, there.
Speaker 5: I just thought that was so brilliant. How they're talking about walking on a dream what what are we doing. He's one of those music snobs. Music snobs and beer snobs, the two worst snobs.
Speaker 1: It was a snob.
Speaker 5: He was just excited about like the minutia of whatever it was at seven forty five in the morning, just like relax or some song that's in an Owen Wilson movie. Yeah, like come on, man, yeah, all pass by the way. That's that's that's what it really is.
Speaker 4: And Sadekas speaking of George Went, I had no idea that Sadakas was his nephew.
Speaker 1: That's what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I found that out yesterday. I was like, wow, I didn't know that. So the more you the more you learn that right now, there you go. You were today's year old when you found that out. Adrian see you right there. We'll get back into the Astros conversation and also involve anybody else who wants to hop in on what we've talked about there with the Stros seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again that's seven one three two one two five seven ninety. We continue here Sean Salisbury Show SportsTalk seven ninety.
Speaker 7: Country Boys Roofing, you need help with those navigation of those insurance claims.
Speaker 1: They'll do it.
Speaker 7: No job too big or too small anywhere in Houston. All those things. Country Boys will be there for you. Also, be aware scams right now storm season, not only the scam of gouging you and charging you more than they should, but of being false and taking your money asking for it and upfront and then boom disappearing. And Country Boy's Roofing wants you just to be aware. Regardless of who you decide to do, make sure you're doing your due diligence. You don't need to get ripped off, especially at a time when storms are gonna hit. You're gonna need your roof fixed or your roof needs fixed now, and somebody are gonna try to oki Dookia, not Country Boys roofing. It's a country with a cave Boys with a Z one thy five hundred dollars discount on the full roof if you're a military first responder or educator, and if you're not, a thousand dollars discount on the full roof when you mentioned my name, all that is because well, Country Boys Roofing cares. They're transparent, they are family owned, they are locally owned and operated, and people that have used them have sent me pictures and said, you know what, this is the quality work they do, cleaned up after perfect job. That's who John is loyal, trusted and also warning you about scams that may go on and if you want it done right for the right price and the right discount, not gouging, it's Country Boys Roofing. Country with the K Boys with the Z proud member of the Better Business Bureau, Proud new member of the Better Business Bureau, and you know Atlas and certaintyed certified, and they will take care of you the way that you need take care of at the right price, with the right discount, without gouging.
Speaker 2: Country with the K Boys with the Z. Countryboysroofing dot Com. The Sean Salisbury Show continued hunting, fishing, loving every day.
Speaker 5: I grew up in FFA in Iowa, and I did not fit in because I was a hip hop guy amongst the country people of FFA. And so I have a disdain for You're You're apparently disdain Dan, But yeah, I have a disdain for country music. My hot take here, and I'm sure this will I've said this a million times. The women in country music are talented. They all can sing well, many of them right well. Some of them are part of the Nashville whole thing where you have like fourteen writers in a room to do whatever. Most of the men Josh Turner is not one of them. Luke Bryan is you can't sing, like on a technical level, right like on a are you a technically good singer? Many of the women in country music that Carrie Underwood's excellent technical singers, dudes are not good singers. And for the most Eric Church right like you hear these guys do a national anthem, You're not. They're not any better than any random person who's trying out on the voice. They just got lucky, right like you get me and I can't sing at all? You give me six months of guitar lessons and I don't know, two hundred dollars worth of flannel shirts and tight jeans.
Speaker 1: I could be a country singer. Not difficult to be a male country singer. I say we try this.
Speaker 4: I say, I say we put the social experiment to work and see if you know, if Ari Alexander could be a Nashville.
Speaker 5: So I would change my you know, change change everything, change my name. I would play up the Iowa background or whatever. I don't think it's difficult to write these songs. They are not musically difficult. It's four chords and whatever. Uh and these dudes can't sting. It's not it's not hard.
Speaker 4: Well then you know, then you get the lady Wilson's who really lean into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm from Louisiana.
Speaker 4: It's just like, oh God, okay, we get it. We understand, we know, thank you. Like Miranda Lambert would kind of play that up too, It's just like, oh God, like okay, fine, we understand, Like, yeah, you're the every woman we.
Speaker 1: Know, Gretchen Wilson. I don't.
Speaker 5: I just frommer Like that's who you know who was was the redneck woman, and that's I don't like eight country songs all right, like I refuse to I used to work at the State Fair in Iowa and some of the concerts were like the old school of the eighties rock, the Foreigner of the Journey, those kind of guys, and those are cool, like a Siles Cooper Live and that stuff was cool. And then you'd have like Blake Shelton and it's I don't want to be here and showing people to their seats.
Speaker 4: Like Tripley Knows. One of my favorite Blake Shelton's the Neon Light at the end of the Tunnel.
Speaker 1: There's a neon at the end of the tunnel? What what like?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I no, man, you see on that one he leans into the tent revival country that is out there of people who you know, well, of course you know, I've got my faith.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's I mean, look, Kenny Chesney's got a song or two. I respect the Legends, the Johnny Cashes, the George Straits, but the Luke Bryan's and the Eric Churches. I remember I used to work at a shot store in college and there's an eclectic mix of music, and one of them was an Eric Church song.
Speaker 1: Like Creeping or something like that.
Speaker 5: Is that a song grape vine or I don't even know the worst song in the history of music? Like what are how how do people how do these people sell out stadiums?
Speaker 1: I don't there are paycheck songs.
Speaker 4: And I've brought this up with Sean that there are some like you know, they lay down the track and they'll do the interviews and do everything.
Speaker 1: Oh man, we we love this one. You know it's great.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, you just went for the thing that you know is gonna go top thirty and you're gonna be able to get the royalties from that. Like I get it. Look, I don't knock the hustle. Like, if you know that people are gonna pay for it and this is gonna be a hit.
Speaker 1: Then go for it.
Speaker 4: Fine, that's why, Like that's why, you know, kind of getting back to like when we were younger, Oh, they sold out. Then you get older and you realize, like you've got bills to pay and everything, so then you're kind of like, Okay, I would sell out too, Like it's it's not that it's hard to make that business decision.
Speaker 5: I also don't like the machine of there's fourteen guys in a boardroom writing your song, and you're trying to present yourself to a blue collar part of the country like this is who listens to country music. Much of the people and much of the people that are spending their hard earned money paying ninety to two hundred to three hundred dollars to go see this person live. And they can barely play guitar and they physically cannot sing, and they didn't write their song. And there's twelve people in Nashville. They're all make a ton of money making a song for Luke Brian that did it, and they're trying to present themselves as you know, some down salt of the earth person.
Speaker 1: No, it's just it's also too lot.
Speaker 4: Adrian and Ryan. We'll get you guys involved in the conversation. But one more quick one is you know here in Houston, of course, you know, we're in Texas. And it always cracks me up of people's outside interpretations of Texas like a nine to one one lone.
Speaker 1: Star or whatever the hell they called it.
Speaker 4: With Rob Low, it cracked me up when they had he and his son moving from New York to drive to Austin and you know, welcome the Texas, and it's like desert road like tumbleweeds, like all of this. I'm like, Okay, if they were driving in from New York, they would be driving in through East Texas, which is all piny woods and the complete opposite of what people think that is even remotely West Texas at that point. But where I'm going with this is that like here in Houston, we costplay liking the Western lifestyle for like two weeks a year.
Speaker 1: That's when we do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I mean, if you see somebody show up to an event now like look, you know wintertime, it's cold out. The boots they help you know, all of that, the jeans, you know, everything else.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: Look it it helps out, you know, to add to the winter wardrobe that most of us don't have here. That's fine, But like when you just see somebody like that. There's there's a friend of mine whose husband is in that lifestyle. They're ranching and farming, and all of their pictures is him in some sort of western where in Seriously, like my response that I have to another friend of ours every single time they post family photos is I'm like, dude.
Speaker 5: We get it, we understand, we got it. On a farm, you're we got it. We understand you're John Dutton.
Speaker 1: We get it. Yeah, we get it. We know, we know you're fine.
Speaker 5: Well, so I'm looking at Luke Bryan's latest album.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 5: It has fourteen tracks. You want to guess how many of them he had a hand in writing?
Speaker 1: Probably one? Two?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 5: To guess how many of those two he wrote by himself? One zero all right? First song, Luke Brian, Rhett Aikens, Dallas Davison, Ben hayeslips so four people to write one song, including Luke Brian, tracks two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, and thirteen he had no hand in writing. And then track fourteen. Wait, hold on, I messed this up. He wrote, co wrote track eleven, but then tracks twelve, thirteen and fourteen he didn't write. All right, this is blyying my point. I see what we got a caller, So he want to talk about the country music thing. You didn't write twelve of the fourteen tracks on your album, you co wrote two of them.
Speaker 1: People want to hate on Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: At least she writes her own songs and writes her own lyrics, and all these other people like Luke Brian's got the easiest job in the world. Show up, co write two of your fourteen songs, put on a flannel shirt and put like a zin whatever in your back pocket and sing about closing time in California. I can't imagine that song is good Kansas that he didn't write. I can't imagine that song is good. But I got a beer in my hand, which I'm sure sounds like fourteen other songs about having a beer in your hand after a tough day. You didn't have a tough day. You're a performer, right, You don't even write your own music. You know, physically easy it is to write a song on your phone or whatever.
Speaker 1: He didn't even do that. It's the group project. Yes, I mean he didn't do anything.
Speaker 4: He got most of the accolades for the group projects, so good for him. Hey, look, you draw a paycheck doing that. I can't sit here and hate you. But uh, Adrian, Ryan, we'll get you guys involved Astro's conversation.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Ryan.
Speaker 4: He wants to get in on this conversation, so uh, I'm sure we'll enjoy chopping that up here. But it is a Sean Salisbury show, a sports talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: The Jean Salisbury Show continues. Adrian, what's going on? Morning Fellas, Morning Money, Morning Morning, Adrian, about it.
Speaker 6: About it. That's about the nice I need to be this morning.
Speaker 1: It's all good. Dave still got room to work and baseball.
Speaker 6: I played high school baseball.
Speaker 12: Literally, we've all been told get behind the ball when you throw it. When that guy was standing on third yesterday and that ball was hit, he already had his hand in the air. That's already a show with disrespect. That means Dan got no chance of throwing me out.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 12: Then he comes home and slide knowing the ball is five paces behind him because the ball ain't made a third yet.
Speaker 6: That is another sign of disrespect. Okay, Dana.
Speaker 12: There's nobody in that outfield better than cam Ward any kind of way. So why is he on the bench all the time and his knucklehead bad news bears are out there? Chas McCormick's arm is no better than a little leaguer that you're waiting on to throw the ball home, and you keep telling him throw it home, throw it home, and he's standing there looking at you. That's basically what happened yesterday, and without hater, and I bray, you are you telling me this bullpen can't hold up Dana. That's another problem that's on you. Okay, So I don't want to hear it. Nothing about Joe. Joe ain't got nothing to do with this. You provide the groceries, Joe cooks the meal, okay, Joseph chef.
Speaker 6: This is a classic blah blah blah. I didn't want to hear about it. This team looks like trash this year. You knew jord On somehow was gonna come up hurt this year. What do we do?
Speaker 12: Back of the base card, back of the baseball card, back of the baseball card, back of the card is killing us, Chaz, his arm is weak.
Speaker 6: Sit his on that bench. We got weight training, We.
Speaker 12: Got all these guys that we pay all this money for, and these guys still look like the bad news bears.
Speaker 1: This is horrible.
Speaker 12: Lance mccollors will not be called Lance mccullors until he does better than he does in his HV commercials.
Speaker 6: Go back and look at the bread crumb when he went down. He was bad. He looks like the same Lance. So I don't mention his name. I called him mister.
Speaker 12: AGV because he's better there than he is on the field, and the rest of y'all, y'all already know what the day is be terrible, Sean, I know you're listening, So here you go, baby.
Speaker 1: He appreciate the call a dream. I disagree about the bullpen.
Speaker 4: The bullpen's been strong this year, tied with the Giants going into the last night's geame with the best bullpen in era in all of baseball two sixty four. And I mentioned it too. Okurt had a bad night. He's been good for this team. But getting to the Chaz you know discussion there. This is an outfield that's devoid of arms. They do not have of any plus arms out there, even average arms out there that you feel like a situation like that, Like as soon as that ball left the bat and I saw where it was going, I said, this game's over.
Speaker 1: He's not throwing them out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a monkey's paw situation where you have side note Dana brings the groceries and Joe cooks the meals a bar. I love that. It's a monkey's pas situation where the guys who have the arms, which is deznz on Cam Smith, you are either learning that they're both learning the position, or in Dezenzo's case, his range isn't good, but his arm's great. Chaz, the range is phenomenal. Jake Myers, the range ist phenomenal. Myers is a Gold Glove caliber center fielder, but he has one of the weakest arms in baseball. We know that Josel. Tuvey weak arm, we know the Chas McCormick weak arm. And so the guys that can track the ball, that can cover the ground, that can run out there, they can't throw. And the guys that can throw are not as good as going out and tracking the ball. And it's just you've built an imperfect team and you're gonna have to find ways around your weaknesses. And that is one of the weaknesses right now, is that you either have a guy that's going to be able to track down balls and isn't going to be able to throw a runner out in that situation, or you have a guy who's probably gonna be able to throw runner out in that situation, but he might not be able to track down the ball. Yeah, I mean, it's it's kind of as you said, I mean, the chicken in the egg, the monkey.
Speaker 1: Paul that the monkey's paw.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you you make a wish, but then there's a sin, the unintended well it's an old like Arabic folk tale, is like an unintended consequence to your wish. That's a negative unintended consequence. Yeah, yeah, the monkey's paw. Okay, interesting, I'll have to remember that. That's that's an interesting way of looking at it. But uh now, I mean, you know what you have in the outfield.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a massive reason, as me and you talked about yesterday that jose Al Tuvey is playing as many games see as out in left field because you value the offense or in this case hoping it to you know, increase the offense out there more than you have, and that obviously hasn't necessarily lived up. But I mean, Chaz, the key is with him. Everything you mentioned, the speed, the range, all of that, that's all nice.
Speaker 1: He's got a hit.
Speaker 4: And in the case last night where you're trying to regain the lead and give yourself an opportunity after you get the lead off single from cam Smith there in the ninth will be nice to be all laid down a bunt and be able to increase your chances of getting in the lineup a lot more. You do things like that when you haven't gotten a consistent amount of at bats. That's usually a way to say you're not going to get more at bats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think part of it too, is that he's not getting the consistent at bats and so he's just eager to like do something, and that's why he's flailing at a strike two bunt. Most hitters that are kind of comfortable in their role are laying off that pitch and going all right, cool one one, I got another chance to bunt. But he's kind of stabbing at the ball there because he has limited opportunities to do something to show that he should be playing. This is, you know, first time in a while that he's playing back to back games, that he's starting back to back games. So I just feel like that he he wants to do something, he wants to show off, like, hey, I deserve this playing time. And it's a little bit of that over eagerness and it backfired on him.
Speaker 4: Ryan, your topic always plays. We will absolutely get you involved, Chena. We also will get you involved here as we start the eight o'clock Howury here It is the Seawan Salisbury Show.
Speaker 1: Sports Talk seven ninety K Houston.
Speaker 11: At HD two Houston, an iHeart radio station, and the Rocket Sports Talk seven ninety your home for your home teams.
Speaker 1: From the Parsons that match it. Next Studios Salsburysbury, Houston.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this Sean Salisbury, so you see true longtime friend Sewn Salisbury, Dan matthewscuse, this is the Sean Salsbury Show.
Speaker 4: Our number three of the show gets going here on the Sean Salisbury Show. Ario Alexander in for Sean Dean Matthews Tripoli hanging out with he is seven one three two one two five seven ninety the number to get in Astros three to two losers last night Diesel Day here on a rubber game of this series against the Rays out in Tampa and actor George went passing away at the age of seventy six. We've kind of done the the eulogy of George Wentz here another one too underrated in he was Fat, Sam in Fletch kind of a bit roll in it, but still you know it was part of the movie with Chevy Chase. I mean, I've said that his nephew Jason sideikis that that he he is the Chevy Chase of this time.
Speaker 5: That's crazy that Jason Sidakas is his nephew. I mean he's Jason Sadaka's really good career, funny, funny, more to go. I think ted Lasso is coming back, right. I'm sure ted Lasso will have spinoffs, as we've talked about the spinoffs that used to do this, spinoffs.
Speaker 1: Of every show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, uh yeah, I mean they're uh, there's some good stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Good Jayceondega should do.
Speaker 5: A show about a guy that goes from zero to country singer in six months. That would be a good show, I would say.
Speaker 4: I mean he's got the ted Lasso part of it, so I mean he could probably be able to parlay it into that. I said though, because they did a remake of Fletch and they had John Hamm as Fletched, Yeah, and I was like that seems like that was Jason Sidekas all the way.
Speaker 5: John Ham's a good comedic actor though, which is funny because like the first role everyone knows him as is Don Draper, and he's this very serious and like mad Men is so good, and John Hamm is so good he's funny.
Speaker 1: Neighbors and Friends. Good show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Apple TV show that they have out right now, Yeah, check it out.
Speaker 5: I met John Hamm. He was very cool. So he he went to HISO. That's right, he went to the zoo. And so I was the Super Bowl in twenty twenty, the year the Chiefs won their first one.
Speaker 1: I dropped like.
Speaker 5: A hey, John m I Z comes back all zou and then nothing else happened. And I ran into him at the All Star Game at twenty twenty two, and he was just kind of by himself. So I went over and just like chatted him up and had a nice conversation and he like couldn't have been more normal.
Speaker 1: That's cool. He see.
Speaker 4: He seems like he's got that in him. But you know, with those actor types, you just you never know. It's like, I mean, they're actors, That's what That's what cracks me up. It's like the Bill Burr bit that he has about Brian Cranston getting a hard time for playing a quadriplegic, and he's like, it's acting. That's what the whole point of it is. Like, yes, he's not a quadriplegic. We know he's not, but he's like people were giving him a hard time about it, and it's just like, see, if.
Speaker 1: He was a quadriplegic, you wouldn't be acting.
Speaker 4: It's not funny to say that, right, But it's the bit that Bill Burr does that that lays it out and it's it's so good. But someone three two one two five seven ninety got a couple of phone lines open here if you want to get in on the astro. Is anything we've talked about? Ryan up in my neck of the woods, Montgomery. He wants to hop in Ryan, what's going on?
Speaker 13: As much?
Speaker 6: Guys?
Speaker 12: How are you?
Speaker 8: I'll doing this morning?
Speaker 1: Man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna try to make this quick.
Speaker 6: So I used to hate country music.
Speaker 8: I think it was funny that you went from music snobs are the worst to Luke Bryan's technical singing abilities. However, Luke Bryant is dog water. So I will agree with you on that if if you want to, I'm been playing guitar for twenty three years.
Speaker 6: I will give you free.
Speaker 8: Guitar lessons if you can write a song, and then now all the money you would have spent on guitar lessons, I'll donate to the charity of your choice if you want to take that.
Speaker 5: Bet, all right, if I can, Okay, So what do we how are we setting this? What do you mean to write a song?
Speaker 1: So? How how many verses a chorus?
Speaker 5: Cause, so I played piano growing up, so I have a little bit of, like, you know, ability to kind of understand where it's going.
Speaker 1: But it's been a while. So what do we talk?
Speaker 5: Like? What do I have to write? Do I need to write the melody? Do I need to just write the lyrics?
Speaker 8: So what we'll do is we'll teach you guitar and then you'll write a basic song, will make it sound really good, but you got to write all the lyrics, and then you have to be able to perform and open my night, so covers and then include your original song.
Speaker 1: How many songs are I have to perform?
Speaker 6: I'd say like six?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, covers I'm trying to do.
Speaker 8: We'll do o G country, three chords in the truth, nothing crazy, and that'll be it.
Speaker 1: I like it. I like the idea. Sounds like a heavy time commitment, but I like the idea. I think you're in.
Speaker 4: I think you're pot committed at this point Ryan, I'm gonna tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna put you on hold triple. He's gonna get your info. We're gonna make this happen. This is gonna happen. Okay, all right, there we go, Ryan, appreciate.
Speaker 10: It before you go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, before you go.
Speaker 8: I want to say the Astros losing. I always dread listening after just a bad sports day.
Speaker 6: I appreciate these little.
Speaker 8: Breaks of levity in the when we're all just oppressed after a miserable loss.
Speaker 4: So thank you out a problem, buddy, any anything we can do. Appreciate the call. I mean, look, you know, sometimes it's it's best to smile and laugh through. I mean it's not even tears. It's a it's a mid May loss. I mean they've won games in a similar fashion where it's like, oh man, how they get away with doing that?
Speaker 5: It's one sixty two. You have good days, you have bad days. The end of the year, you hope you stack up more good days than bad days. I know it's like a coach cliche, but it's you can't you know. Yeah, they did blow like a nine run lead, like they lost a close game.
Speaker 1: It happens. They're still in a decent spot.
Speaker 5: It's May, like there's no reason to to freak out if you want to freak out after a playoff loss like twenty two, Max Schus are choking against the Padres, like go for it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is you know, they lost a game in May whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it happens and hopefully they can get it back today. So Ryan, do appreciate the kind words, and also too, the project to make Ari Alexander a country music star.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have We're gonna have to work on the persona.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to work on the gimmick for you to be able to play into and be able to get you in the character for this, I think this could be a real pay.
Speaker 5: Get into character. Yeah, the no guitar is not easy, man. I Uh, I think we had like a class when I was in sixth grade and I picked it up fairly quickly. But ever since then, it just like doesn't make sense to me. So you know, music is hard.
Speaker 4: It is it is, so Ryan appreciate uh the offer there and what you do uh in the music industry. But seven one three two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in let's continue Shena sugar Land.
Speaker 1: It's going on Shena good morning.
Speaker 14: Before I jump in here, I just want to drop a quick to Ri m I z z o.
Speaker 1: Uhah.
Speaker 14: So, so why it's mainly cold calling in uh one of the prior callers here. Try to get to everything as briefly as I can. For one thing this is I can't remember when the caller. It was earlier this week. But when we're gonna be so high on Cam Smith, let's get his name right. I heard a couple of callers that you know, praising him, but can't get his name right. So it's Cam Smith. Just so we know, we went into this season knowing that number one, none of our outfielders had strong arms. We were going to get tested.
Speaker 6: We were gonna get run on.
Speaker 14: Nobody has particularly strong arms out there. Number two, we're going in playing two thirds of our games with infielders play outfielders, you know, and still learning since subtleties of the game playing the ball off the wall angles to get to the ball.
Speaker 6: So you know, we knew that there was going to.
Speaker 14: Be some issues going into the season, and right now it seems to me a spot as just trying to throw out to the outfield whoever's batting hot right now, which makes sense. So myers is, you know, are basically our main offensive production on the team, which nobody would have guessed this year. McCormick played two games in a row. He had, you know, some strong hits. Two days ago, had one that would have been a home run I think in like fifteen ballparks, and then yesterday was one of the ones got a hit and got helped with our offense. So when we're you know, only scoring two runs a game and we've got guys like Christian Walker that just aren't producing, you've got to put in the outfield whoever is going to be contributing offensively to the team. Number Two, getting to the points that were made or tried to be made about pitching earlier. Our bullpen has been nails this year. I mean, we got Whitley coming up, and the question is, oh my gosh, of all these guys, who are just you know, lights out, who are we optioning back to Sugarland or Dfang And it's like, I know a lot of guys don't even have options. I know, like Dubin doesn't have options. I think Benetcelza has like one option. So you know, it's not like we walked a lot of guys yesterday and gave a lot of free passes and they scored the hit the two run RBI that tam but guy, it was because cam Smith was playing deep right for that situation and with that ball just you know, it took time for him to get to it because he was playing deep. You know. Another now, the third run they scored was just a sac fly. You only score. We only scored two runs in a game. That's gonna make it hard to win games. So we've got to have better offensive production our pitching. I don't think you can blame last night's game on the pitching, even though it was late in the game that they scored and came back and got it. So we've got to score more than two runs. And then McCullers, you know, he's still coming back. He's you know, hasn't pitched since twenty twenty two. He's got to get stretched out. For all those who are Hayden on McCullers, you take him out of the rotation, who you going with a six man rotation with Blanco Hunter fromber and then Gordon Walter and Gusto. I mean, are what what are we trying to do. We've got Arragetti get out. We just had Lesnsky go to so you've got to give it. And he's he It's not like he's been bad. He had a I think fore innings with no earned runs his last outing. So and when you've got Fromber and Hunter Brown pitching, you know near him, you're saving the bullpen, and you know you're going to have a bull use to bullpen for McCullers. McCullers has never been a guy that's going to have give you a nine in incomplete game or even an eight inning game. His pitching style just isn't that. It never has been so so yeah, I just I don't know what you know, what the thought process is of. You know that he doesn't deserve to be in the rotation right now.
Speaker 4: Got Sheena appreciate the call, I mean, to the point she laid out. It's something that we talked about earlier and it's something that will continue to be a storyline about this team. I'm not putting last night, even though you can say statistically that it was on Okre and Caleb Ard, that's just an overall symptom of this team is you put these guys in situations like that where time and time again they've come through in those spots, like even with hitting the first batter of the eighth inning with an O two pitch and you give up the next hit.
Speaker 1: I was still believing that.
Speaker 4: Steven Okert was going to find a way to be able to get out of that, because he's done that he I mean, aside from the Grand Slam he gave up to Randy a Rose Arena to the Mariners, He's been pretty nails in those spots. So again, you continue to put these guys on.
Speaker 1: A high wire.
Speaker 4: Eventually they're going to get one bad gust to win and they're gonna fall off that high wire. And that's again the offense not being able to reinforce and add on a couple of more runs. Because even when it was too nothing last night, I was still like, that's not enough. They're going to be able to put together some sort of offense and be able to come back.
Speaker 1: And beat you, and they did.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's not easy to win these games when you have such a tight way of winning everything, like you can't always go out and win to nothing. You gotta be able to score more runs. You're not relying on your b bullpen to shut it down every time, like they are playing with fire, where Steven Okert is never gonna have a one twenty ERA for the whole year. He's gonna have a few bad games here or there. Caleb Ard has not ever had a big enough sample size to even really know what he is. He's been good up until yesterday, but like, we don't know what it is. It's not a big enough sample size with some of these guys. And Sheen was right, like there's not not a lot of optionality with this team, and so you kind of have who you have, Otherwise you lose these guys. If the Astros ever were to option Forced Whitley and put him on waivers, he's gonna get claimed immediately. No, yeah, someone's gonna claim Sean Dubin once if Sean Dubin gets ever gets optioned and gets put on waivers. Like, they have guys that are useful, and yesterday is just one of those situations where the offense needs to cover you. You don't have a bray You, you don't have Brian King, you don't have Josh hater. So give Steven Okert, Sean dub and Caleb Boord these guys that don't have them necessarily a big enough sample size to be able to prove that like they're gonna shut it down.
Speaker 1: Give them a little bit more than two runs.
Speaker 4: Yep, definitely would be nice to be able to help those guys out, especially with how much they've helped you out this season. Because you're gonna give the benefit of the doubt. I'm definitely gonna give it to these pitchers for how they perform this year, because your two games above five hundred, because of how well that group has done this season. Brandon Jason, Johnny, see you guys right there. We'll get you guys involved in the conversation. Do you want to dive a little bit more into the Astros pitching here? Who is to think for the good pitching this year? We'll talk about that here. Sean Salisbury Show continues here on a Western Wednesday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: The Sewn Salisbury Show continues.
Speaker 1: And now you.
Speaker 5: Know, there's a kid I went to college with who became a country singer and it was out of nowhere, like he was in broadcast journalism, and I don't want to give away too much information for anyone to figure out who it is. But his mom was a professional some sort of singer, I think in Christian something out there, one of the Christian genres, and so like she was a pro. She had sold, however, many albums and she decided, I guess, like he should try to get into it. So I think he can play a little bit of guitar, and he's got a really like good deep voice, so he definitely has the voice for it. He can actually technically sing, okay. I think she wrote most of his songs and it was they weren't it was bad so and then he did a cover of a famous song. It'll easily be found if I say who what song it was, But I don't think it worked out. But he like toured and did like different like small town like country radio and kind of tried to give it a go. And I have no idea what he's doing now, but hey, he tried to give it a go, and it was it was interesting.
Speaker 4: That's always the fun part too of you know, you go on lower broad right there in Nashville and then it's you know, somebody doing you know, the live music, like what was it. I forget it was her name, the Hunter Girl. We were at the Jason Al Dean Bar, and I just remember, like, you know, she's up there singing, and I'm like, hm, that's kind of interesting, I guess, kind of playing into the character. And then soon enough, about a year later, I turn on the voice and she's on the voice and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, wow, okay, there you go.
Speaker 4: So and it's also too like in Nashville, Oh yeah, you know, he's part of the music industry. She's part of the music industry. It's like, okay, I get it. Everybody's part of the music industry in this town.
Speaker 5: We know they're sitting in a corner of a room writing two of the words to some terrible Luke Bryan song. That's what part of the music industry. Hey guys, what are you'all working on? Luke wants us to put something that rhymes beer. Put a beer, give me a thesaurus. I got to hide something. Put a beer in my hand. Oh and you guys are drinking beer. Look you're already in character. Good for you.
Speaker 4: But the Astros lose last night three two to the rais rubber game of the series. This afternoon coming up un He beat the Timberwolves Game one at NBA Western Conference Finals last night. Eastern Conference goes tonight game one there in New York between the Knicks and the Pacers. Seven one, three two five, seven ninety is the number two.
Speaker 1: Get in. Johnny on the north side wants to weigh in. Johnny, good morning.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Hey, thanks guys. You know that lady said a lot that she never mentioned Pareas is being basically a god send to this team for what he's done offensively, So that was kind of odd that she would mention virtually every other player on the team other than parreta Is and what he's done. But that being said, I was calling about Altuve hurd a statistic yesterday that he's number six in the league hidden into double plays and he's really impacting the rallies on the top of the lineup now batting third, and then was doing that at the number one spot whenever the back of the lineup was rallying. So he's killing rallies. He really needs to be batting, you know, maybe six or seventh if he's gonna be hitting like that, because we can't just count on him to hit the home runs because he's just not doing it at a pace he was before when he was younger, and he's really not coming through with you know, your typical small ball base hit double, you know, or double. So that's really what's killing our rallies. That's all I had about that, But I just wanted to get your opinion.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the call.
Speaker 4: I mean, with the L two a stuff, jose Al two is going to get every single opportunity to be able to work his way out of this. And at the top of the order. I mean, it's just it's it's a conversation, it's not even worth having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, jose.
Speaker 5: Al tuo By has gained enough trust from everybody in baseball and not just the Astros, to be able to work out of whatever it is that he needs to work out of.
Speaker 1: Uh, he's not getting moved down of the order.
Speaker 4: And I mean and with Peretis, I mean, look, you know, Sina laid out a lot of points. I'm not going to put this on Shena. He has been a godsend for this team. He's i mean, the lineup the way it is right now, you don't have him in this lineup and much less jord On and then last night you don't have yianor Diaz, I mean, number one, you probably don't score another run because he gave you one of the two runs you had. And for what you laid out too, I mean not only offensively, he's played plus defense over at third base.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's been one of the better players, if not him and Peigna, essentially the best players in the team. And Jake Myers I have been carrying the team on the offensive end. He's played way better defensively on third base than anyone I would say, even Dana Brown expected him to play. And he's doing what they brought him in to do. He's doing what this team coveted him for, which is he hits pull side home runs. He plays enough defense to get you across on that, and he draws long at bats and he gets on base. And so the Kyle Tucker trade in that sense has worked out the way you wanted to. Cam Smith is the real deal, or will be eventually. He's still hitting a bubbly average right now. East Soak Paratus is exactly what you believed East Soak Paratus would be. And then they threw in a pitcher who was doing solid, but before he had to have Tommy Johnson surgery and go down. But you still have a ton of team control with Lozneski, and you have a ton of team control with Paradis. You have a ton of team control with Cam Smith. And Kyle Tucker is going to play one year for the Chicago Cubs and then he is going to get four to five hundred million dollars, which you're not going to be able to afford.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll go to the Dodgers and get it all deferred, and then you know they'll have yet another All Star on their team in the outfield.
Speaker 5: But the problem is they're pitching. Been a little suspect over there right now, But that's their problem. And they go through twenty five pitchers because they're all injured. Their injurial list is scarier than the Astros pitching injury list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely is.
Speaker 4: But I don't think we're gonna have a lot of people feeling sorry for them around these parts. Jason Brandon, see you guys right there. We'll get you guys involved. Also, do want to get into that Astros pitching discussion.
Speaker 1: We'll do that here.
Speaker 4: It is the Sean Salisbury show, He's our Alexander, Dan Matthews, Tripley, Emanuel Elmore. Sports Talk seven to ninety The Sewn Salisbury Show continued, Can you imagine that too? And you know, Jason Brandon will get to you guys here in just a second, but can you imagine that we go out the training camp and the player that I'm gonna mention is not there, and you know we're talking with them O tas all of that. Oh the Olympics. Oh, how cool is that? Oh, the the Olympics. That's gonna be great. And it's gonna be every single media availability that that player is in front of the podium that you're gonna have somebody who wasn't there at the time before when they answered it, and they're gonna be asked about it again. Well, funny enough if that player is gonna be the guy who's gonna say three words about it and be like, yeah, it's cool, that'll be the answer, and that'll be the whole answer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, it's I'm looking forward to Yeah, yeah, yeah'd be cool. You know I'm representiting my country. Yeah yeah, that'll that'll be awesome. So the Olympics are cool, though, Like this is this is cool. Like it's you know, Scottie Scheffler winning a gold medal and a golf and they added golf recent years. Uh, flag football. I think it's a good idea to show off the world football. I know, like there is football around the world, but like sort of right, like you travel all these different countries in Europe and other places.
Speaker 1: Like they don't care.
Speaker 5: I've been to Egypt and there's soccer jerseys of Mohammed Salat everywhere. They they have no idea who Patrick Mahomes is. And but those people watch the Olympics. They have a better chance of knowing who Simone Biles is than knowing who Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady or whatever. H And you get to show the world football. I think it's it's great. I love the Olympics. Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 4: It's it's one of my favorites every single year. Summer over winter for sure. I mean that's what I grew up on. And you know, of course, you know, more summer athletes from this area as opposed to winter athletes that are from here. So I mean that's that's part of it too. Don't sleep on winter though.
Speaker 5: Man, let's figure skaters figure skating, speed skating, hockey. You know you get that there the downhill skiing that's fun too, So you've got it all at your disposal for sure. Someone three two one, two five seven ninety Brandon, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Good morning, buddy, Good morning man? Hey, what's going on doing? Okay? I'm playing the detO against Tampa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like you got a lot going on behind you there. But how's diesel throwing?
Speaker 1: So far? He's doing good. I got my first drag out all right.
Speaker 4: So there you go, got that one off the board already. So Brandon, I mean we talked about it. I think we're two for two now. Of whenever you play as the starter that day they go out there, they absolutely shove.
Speaker 1: They have a heck of a day. So you feeling good about three for three?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 4: All right, well good because it be nice to get this win. Come back home, and then you get a Mariner's team coming in here. Okay, Well there you go. You've got play by play going with the Brandon's full service delivery.
Speaker 1: Here I like it. Here comes here comes the closer.
Speaker 4: I like it all right, Brandon, Well, hey gonna let you play and you finish up the game and uh, hopefully we get a good one out a hundred Browns today and you know where to find us. Ah, buddy, there you go, Brandon playing as uh you know, because was it you yesterday that said it's it's easier to pitch than it is to hit on that game.
Speaker 5: Pitching is so easy if you if you know how to pitch sequence in real life, it's so easy. You could put it onto the hardest mode and you can still have a sub twr A. Hitting is so hard on that game, you can like because you'll just jam the controller down and miss, and hitting's very hard.
Speaker 4: I go, I go back to the old m VP triple triple play Baseball a sports days where you know you just use a little toggle thing to be able to hit with, and you know, it was much easier that way.
Speaker 1: I have not played MLB the show in years.
Speaker 4: M v PO five greatest sports video game of all time and a great soundtrack too, m v P O four and oh five great soundtrack. When I when I produced UH the A Team and we would have Blummer on every single week, A lot of times I would use music from the soundtrack there and Gordy caught up to it once and he texted me and goes, MVP Baseball.
Speaker 1: I go, you got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's some of these bands that didn't have a whole lot of success in general that have songs in MVP, like Stella Star on MVPO four of My Coco Jam revs.
Speaker 1: Hot Hot Heat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, irock Z song is so good and like, I bet you could book the Hot Hot Heat to do the irock Z song for not very expensive.
Speaker 4: Let's guess say, I mean, we got Buzzfest coming on this weekend, you know with our sister station. I mean, you know, that'd be amazing, like to have them up there, Like, you know, maybe I need to talk with Elliott the PD over there and be like, Okay, hey, I'm gonna give you a soundtrack. Yeah, and see how many of these groups will show up next year.
Speaker 1: Bring me the do Nots. We got the Noise?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah that one all American rejects. Although, Jason, before we get to you, like the the rejects now are like just like showing up at random places there and apparently like I don't know this because I'm not on TikTok. I know, I'm totally a boomer for being nearly forty. That's fine, but the fiance is and she lets me know. Like of like all the trends, and one of them is that garage bands are coming back like that gen Z is like starting our We're out of gen Z now, I think, but whatever, that it's becoming a cool thing again is to do a full on garage band of you know, lead guitar, bass drums, lead singer and go that way. I could totally see like a late two thousands emo adjacent like pop punk revival with with the younger audience like Cartel and all American rejects obviously.
Speaker 1: All Newfound Glory in there. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those bands that sound I think could do well.
Speaker 1: I think so too. They can open for me when I'm a country singer. There you go, there you go. We're setting up the bill already. I like it. I like it again.
Speaker 4: Seven one three two one two five seven ninety Jason and Katie wants the way in.
Speaker 1: Jason, what's going on?
Speaker 10: Hey guys, good morning.
Speaker 1: A couple of takes.
Speaker 10: I didn't know it was gonna have to follow the legend Brando, but it's a couple of takes and I'll hang up and listen to the caller two callers ago talking about two Bay going to the sick So just stop, you know, just stop. It's don't be a little funk right now. I think he'd be good for having a day off today, a day game, especially on a getaway day, and Hunter Brown going so I think du Bond playing second wouldn't be the worst thing today.
Speaker 1: A couple of things.
Speaker 10: Alex c in tron is he in the hot seat? Is he not? I know the offense has been scuffling, and it hasn't been really just this year. We've gone on for a while. And another thing lastly before I hang him and listen the run.
Speaker 6: I don't know if the run's over.
Speaker 1: I feel like it is.
Speaker 10: I'm kind of, you know, at peace with it. We've had a damn good run. I don't know if it'll happen again in my lifetime. I don't think it's Joe a spot up for it. I don't think it's Dana.
Speaker 1: Brown for it. A guy in charge man.
Speaker 10: Jim Crane. You know you don't want to pay the guys that are in front of you. You don't want to pay the breaks of the breakmans of the world and and the Springers of the world, which is okay because we had Tucker, but then Tucker and then those guys, you know, those homegrown the homegrown talent. We can't go out and keep signing aging first baseman to a small contracts and think that's.
Speaker 1: Gonna hold over.
Speaker 10: You know, we're not gonna be able to keep up with all these teams if we do not spend money. And he's got to get off his little I don't want to give over five year contracts away and over X amount of dollars away because that's not going to keep up with today's baseball.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Carl Jason. I mean the run as we've had it from twenty seventeen until I would say twenty twenty three was really when you could point to that because fifteen you make the playoffs. You miss it in sixteen, but you still knew, like, all right, enough of the guys are here.
Speaker 1: We know that this thing can be special. And it has been.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know that's that's there, but it's also too I mean, look at runs all throughout you know the course of sports. I mean the Yankees of the late nineties, I mean they've been still trying to get back to that point. Even after winning the World Series in two thousand and nine, the Red Sox, even with their World Series wins, they've you know, not been able to have the replicated success that.
Speaker 1: The Astros have had. I just think it's gonna look different.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that probably yes here in the next few years, you're going to have missed playoffs. You're going to have where another team wins the division and you might have to fight for a wild card and again miss playoffs because you don't get in at that spot either.
Speaker 5: It's not going to be easy to replicate, you know, seven years of straight alcs's. It's the only team that has been that successful for that long is the Dodgers, and they had tons of early playoff exits that Dodgers fans were not happy about. They also have unlimited money, and look at the Mets right now, have unlimited money and it's been limited playoff success since Steve Cohen took over. He said when he took over, I want to win a World Series in three to five years. Well, I think we're on year four or five here and it's been early playoff exit, bad year, surprisingly good playoff run to the NLCS and then this year they're expected to be good, but it does still feel like they're building and clearly not favored to win the National League. Because the Dodge are favorite to win the National League, the Astros still have a chance, like you can call the Golden Era over. But at the same time, there's not that much stopping them from having as good of a chance as anyone to win the American League. These leagues are so split. The NL is way better than the American League, and right now you look at the rest of the league that they have to contend against, it's the Rangers are decent, the Tigers are good, and the Yankees are good, and everyone else is fine or worse or whatever. But like you get into a playoff series, if you're the Astros against any team in the AL, are you intimidated by any of them?
Speaker 1: No? Not right now. You could lose to them.
Speaker 5: You can lose to the Yankees, you can lose to the Tigers, beat them, you can lose the Ringers.
Speaker 1: You could also beat them. There's no one like.
Speaker 5: I don't think that with healthy pitching that the Astros match up well against the Dodgers in a playoff series. I think the Astros would have a tough time with the Mets in a playoff series, or the Phillies in a playoff series, or the Diamondbacks in a playoff series, but not against anyone in the American League.
Speaker 1: This is a bad lead.
Speaker 4: Well as well as they pitched. I mean, that's where it comes down to the hitting part of it. I mean, if you hit, they win. I mean, and that's the part of it that if you get to that time of the year, like even last year, as good as the Tigers were playing at that point, if the Astros hit whatsoever, Yeah, in either of those games, they win that series and they move on and face Cleveland and they probably beat Cleveland in that next series.
Speaker 5: There was no one scary in last year's playoffs. They just got out played by the Tigers in a two game you know, in a three game series.
Speaker 1: But that's a beatable team.
Speaker 5: They did great with you know, they have Trek Scuball and then the pitching chaos, but those guys are beatable. No one is scared of shout out Ridge point along will Vest. But like it's not the game is not over when will Vest comes in the game. They other than scooball. It's a bunch of decent pitchers. Yankees the same thing. Like they're even down Garrett Cole this year, and they've got Will Warren and all these random guys coming out of the woodwork to pitch well.
Speaker 1: But so did the Astro.
Speaker 5: The Astros have the best pitcher in the American League right now, and at Game one Yankees Astros matchup of Mac Freed and Hunter Brown is an even match.
Speaker 4: Well, life short when you hit a bunch of singles. And that's what they did and that's what they're hoping to be able to get off of here in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned the pitching.
Speaker 4: Somebody to think for that will discuss that here as we close out the eight o'clock hour on the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 1: Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: The Sean Salisbury Show continues on your game console. Listen to Sports Talk seven ninety on any device with our free iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: There's a show, the Comedy Show's got Mallie Shannon and some other people called the Other two and they tried to put it on I want to say Comedy Central, and it did a few episodes and no one cared so they threw it on a streaming stary like HBO Max or whatever the formerly known as Max, formerly known as HBO Plus, formally known as whatever. Yeah, and it like did well enough. They got two seasons and it like did well. Okay, it's either that or I'm confusing her with broad City. Maybe she was in broad City. I thinks broad City. It's broad City. Okay, so Shania Twain was in an episode of broad City and then but she also hasn't been heard from before or since for a long time, and then she like popped up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if she's just like randomly shows up. Like with wedding music, I've always said it. You know that you're at a white people wedding when two songs play, shout and don't stop believing like it's it's it's almost a requirement that the DJ or the live band has to play both of those songs. And then of course, you know, then you'll get the glowstick halo's out and some of them now do like the hats, the commemorative hats of hey, we got married. But you have those songs at at those weddings.
Speaker 5: One of the strangest closing songs at a wedding that I've ever been to. It went to my buddy's wedding in Saint Louis a few years ago. They played American Pie, don McLean, which is fine on its face, until they played all.
Speaker 1: Nine verses of American Pie.
Speaker 5: I can't do it, and the guy the or was it DJ or live band singer? The live band would go out and like stick the mic in people's faces to sing along like verse six. How am I supposed to know the lyrics to verse six of American Pie?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just like, dude, just come to me for bye bye American Pie like that. At least you know that I'm gonna know that, Like you put me on the spot here, what are you doing to me? Thirteen minutes of American Pie to close out a wedding, And we're gonna close you out with a really good one. I think you all are going to enjoy it. And you know, you start getting the band and for free Bird, yeah, you know, so you get the whole build up of that, and it's just like all right, first few minutes here, we're kind of just standing around with our drinks in our hands, and you know, finally you'll get to the part where you know fly High, you know Free Bird.
Speaker 1: DJ live band for wedding. All right, you said fiance you're getting married, yeah, JR Live band.
Speaker 4: Uh So it's going to be a small service and we're actually gonna do like a dinner, but then like we'll do a kind of like reception for like everybody else later probably go DJ.
Speaker 5: I would think, right choice, yeah, because live bands are limited. They're good sometimes, but they're limited because they play September and like three Bruno Mars song are you talking about?
Speaker 1: What you hear? White people weddings?
Speaker 5: September by Earth Wind and Fire is like the you have to if you have a live band, they're gonna set give you a list of the here's the twenty five songs we can play, and the top of the list is just September four times.
Speaker 1: Don't believe me, just stop. Yeah that one too. That's all there.
Speaker 5: They're like, we know these three brune O Mars songs, we know September and we can do shout and don't stop.
Speaker 4: Because I feel like with a DJ, there's no scouting trips that are needed or anything like that. Like we actually had this conversation and all was like because it's gonna be somebody's gonna give you a recommendation, and then we got to go to this place and see them play, and it's just like, like, why.
Speaker 1: Is this turning into you out? You're turning into wedding Dana Brown. You're just sitting there like, yeah, he's.
Speaker 5: Got a forty five guitar, but a sixty five drums. So so the pregame press conference, I'm gonna have, you know, the Scout's eye is gonna be something that I mentioned with, you know, while we went with you know, I don't know Tommy d and the Wonders or somebody like.
Speaker 1: That, like, you know, it's we've even pronounced the Naders.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Theneaders, No, the Wonders.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What a what a movie? What a what a what a pull by you right there.
Speaker 4: I appreciate what you bring to the program here, Ari Alexander again Arian for Sean here Sports Talk seven ninety Astros trying to get the rubber game of the series this afternoon against the Rays. That's gonna be coming your way here in just about three hours actually, so lunchtime baseball today for the Stros and also to Western Conference Finals last night, Game one going to the thunder over the Timberwolves Eastern Conference is gonna get going the night.
Speaker 1: NFL news, the Tush push.
Speaker 4: Ban vote is supposed to come up today, but the Lions had the playoff receding proposal out there, and according to Adam Schefter, about ten minutes ago, they pulled it.
Speaker 1: They said, no, we're good, it's fine. Football is doing great.
Speaker 5: I don't know why you have to change that much stuff, like it's crushing everyone watches, We're all super excited for the playoffs, we're all super sided every week to watch football, and there isn't that.
Speaker 1: Much that needs to be changed.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not only that, it's also I mean, you know, you had Roger Goodell, YESA saying that they do anticipate that they will have sixteen up regular season international games in the near future, which it's not surprising. I mean what they're at like eight now, where they're playing in Brazil, playing in Germany England of course. I mean, yeah, eventually we will have games in Australia and in Asia and you know, just other places because you mentioned it the Olympics. I mean, I think they're going to try to kind of parlay off of that of countries getting to see this sport that to them will almost be like what curling is to us, where they're gonna be like, oh man, this is kind of exciting. I want to watch this. I you know, I want to start learning how to play this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not.
Speaker 5: Bring you bring the world together football diplomacy and send him to Minsk, Belarus get the dictator Lukashenko out of there through the power of Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: That's it, the erotic journey from Milan to men. Yeah, Rochelle, Rochelle, there you go.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For the Seinfeld fans out there, go ahead and shout you out with that one. But the Astros conversations in Hot and Heavy get into a little bit more of that. I do want to weave in a couple of texts and things that I had here for the show today, even though next week they'll get back on the Ota field and then soon enough Mini camp and then I mean, pretty much like once you hit July, it's football season at that point, Like once you're there after fourth of July, it's kind of like what New Year's Day is for baseball. Like after you get north of that, you're like, all right, we're getting close football's coming to a close. We don't really care about basketball at this point, so we'll start getting pitchers and catchers showing up and we get going. So that's when football gets going and you get into that part of the year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, late All Star game this year for baseball, and then immediately the week after it's training camp time. And you have a team here that has an opportunity to make some sort of run. Although there's three really good AFC teams in their way that they haven't been able to to get passed.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's this. It's good.
Speaker 5: It's good to have a team that can win that there is exciting football that you're not going in going, oh my god, we're seven to ten this year, Like what ninth pick are we going to get to draft some offensive linemen?
Speaker 1: You have to have a quarterback. They have the quarterback, they got some weapons.
Speaker 5: You know, this is a year that you can look forward to because we had the surprise year, we had the supposed breakout year that didn't really break out. And now the expectation is that there's a baseline of like this has to be a playoff team. And my hot take is that you should go six and oh in the AFC South. The AFC South is garbage. The Jaguars are not good, the Titans are not good. The Colts are not good. They went five to one last year with a stupid loss to the Titans. You can go six and oh they're better than those three teams.
Speaker 4: That would be the hope. I mean that Titans game last year. What a frustrating loss. But that's the NFL that happens. Let's actually continue that next because the roadmap the future. People already looking at what the text. I feel like the roadmap is in front of us in terms of how this thing is going to go, especially when they have to make certain decisions. We'll talk about that here start the nine o'clock hour. It is a Sean Salisbury show. He's our Alexander in for Shawn. Sports Talk seven ninety KBMS.
Speaker 2: Houston ACBSHD to Houston, an iHeartRadio station, the Astros, Star Rockets, Rockets, Bans, befall your home for your home teams.
Speaker 1: This is Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 2: Ninety from the Parsons and match in Next studios.
Speaker 5: This is former from the Astros broadcast team.
Speaker 11: Right now, your shot at one thousand dollars on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 15: Just enter this nationwide keyword at Sports seven ninety dot com. Bank b A n K Bank Enter it now at Sports seven ninety dot com.
Speaker 2: Sawbrey, Oh Sawsbury Houston. Okay, let's sewn Salisbury to usc trouves longtime friend Shawn Salisbury, Dan Matthew, Excuse this is the Seawan Salsbury show.
Speaker 4: Ten to eleven today, because then they get into Astros on deck and then the game coming up at noon right here Sports Talk seventy ninety, Hunter Brown, TODJ. Bradley on the Moland for that one. Stro is trying to take that one to win the series. Then come back home for the Mariners for four, which, by the way, to a little bit of help with that last night. How about the White Sox holding on load the bases up there the Mariners do in the eighth inning with one out, you get Mitch Garver who strikes out looking, and then you get a Boozer, Cam Boozer to be able to get Julio Roderiguez to fly out to in the inning. And as soon as that happened, you were like, okay, White Socks, you might do something here. The Pope Leo helping you out here.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 5: I mean, classic Mariners a lot, They're just not able to hit. They went with an opener yesterday, they went with back to back. Casey's Casey Legamina opened. Casey Lawrence was the bulk guy. Went five innings of one run ball. So both the Astros and the Mariners got five innings of good pitching from someone you would not have expected yesterday, with Brandon Walter for the Astros coming in in five scoreless.
Speaker 4: Speaking of you know, obviously Pope Leo the fourteenth being a White Sox fan, I mean it is reasonablieve that he is a Jeff Blum fan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he has to he has to know who Jeff Blum is. He has to be excited when he hears Jeff Blum do the TV call.
Speaker 1: Think about that, Like the Pope.
Speaker 5: The Pope of all the Catholics is like, hell, yeah, Jeff Blum walk off. At some point in his life, the Pope has been happy because of something that Jeff Blum did.
Speaker 4: Our Pope loves Italian beefs in old style. Like the actor comedian Ike Baron Holtz. I saw a clip of him on The Rich Eisen Show, and he like that means that the Pope is an Ozzy Gehan fan. Yeah, the Pope is a big Paul Knerko guy. Yeah, which, uh I think I was looking this up when we were talking about Pete Rose yesterday and the career ops Plus. I think Paulko and Pete Rose have the same career ops plus.
Speaker 1: Make Jermaine Dye fan. Oh yeah, Jan Yaiba.
Speaker 4: Game some guys Aj Persenski, although I don't know, maybe maybe with Aj it was a little bit of yeah, he could be too much y Dwayne Wise. There's there were some names on that team. We remember him, Scott Pasednik. I mean, you forget that Pasednik with that fight between Michael Barrett and the Aj Persenski that he was in the middle of that that he tackled Michael Barrett after Barrett put a right hook on Aj Persenski.
Speaker 5: There's so few good baseball fights that I feel like we remember, like all the classics.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say that one was one, uh. I mean a lot of them in the you know, seventies and eighties too. I mean, like I always remember the Ray Knights. Did he get into it with Oz Smith? Like did Ozzie Smith like slide in hard there and then Ray Knight Smith is so nice? Who fights Ozzie? I was gonna say, or was it Barry Lark? And I'm trying to remember who it was that slid in? It was either the Reds or the Cardinals that the Mets were playing, and they had it in the eighty six thirty for thirty and you see Ray Knight just start throwing hands and it's just like nobody does that anymore.
Speaker 5: Mets used to Yeah, I used to have a little feistiness, feistiness to him. Are remember when Albert Bell just absolutely decided to kill fernand Yeah, well, Fernando Vinya is like a classic. Like you want to name a guy, Fernando Vina's top of the list, He's up there.
Speaker 1: I mean it was Eric.
Speaker 4: Davis, Okay, he'd be he'd be one that I'm not really sure I want to try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Eric Davis is a big guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then Ray Knight just said I don't care, I'm going in Yeah, and he definitely uh backed up those words.
Speaker 1: But yeah.
Speaker 4: The Astros Western Conference Finals Game one going to the Thunder last night over the Timberwolves. The East gonna get going tonight NFL meeting still ongoing. The allion's pullback on the receding for the playoffs, the tush push ban especially gonna be voted on today. It sounds like.
Speaker 5: I'm so not interested in the tush push ban or not ban. Just do something with it and let's stop talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of to that point too, And I mean, it's s the point of talking season football where it's okay, OTAs, we're excited about that mini camp, same deal, just because it's some sort of football on the field. But then it's like, Okay, you just get back to me second week of September and then we can start talking.
Speaker 5: I have a guy that I want to talk to at mini camp because I ran into him, and so I'm not going to tell you who it is. You'll have to guess off air who it is, but it's the player. I ran into him at Super Bowl at some of the events and he was really cool, and the Texans signed him this offseason. So I'm waiting to get to know the guy a little bit more. Also side note, I've heard Christian Kirk phenomenal golfer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so I saw the video too. They were talking about it was either he or Kuym Baron, of who is. The kickers are always the kickers, and quarterbacks are usually always the golfers.
Speaker 1: On the team. Punters too, you'll get the punters involved.
Speaker 5: Fair Baron's really good at ping pong apparently, oh okay, And they're the guy that runs him. And back when they had case Keenum, they're the guys that ran the ping pong table. I remember Keenum used to always be on that ping pong table there in the locker room. But you know, a couple of days ago, brock Perty signed his deal with the forty nine ers sixty million per So that immediately has people like me and you and like everybody else saying, oh, well, now the Texans are on the clock for CJ.
Speaker 4: That deal is gonna get done next offseason. That's going to happen, and he probably will be north of you know, sixty sixty one, sixty two, sixty three, something like that in terms of annual value of the contract coming to his way. But then it's also too you're gonna make a decision on Will Anderson Junior. They're gonna take that fifth year option Will Anderson Junior. They're gonna say we take care of CJ. This year, we get another year somewhat rookie money on him. Year after that is when things get interesting with the Texans, because it is going to start to have some of the offseason storylines of they've traded this guy, they've released this guy and one of the guys, and this is gonna make some Texans fans shut or to even think about this. But I think that these are the last couple of years of Nico Collins. Maybe maybe not. Maybe you find other ways to clear some of the money. You're gonna have guys that are aging out of bigger contracts. You don't have a super expensive offensive line right now, you've already cleared all that the salary off of Laramie Tunsel. You're paying a lot of money to Daniel Hunter, rightfully so, because he's really good. But Daniel Hunter is gonna be gone in a couple of years.
Speaker 5: I think you keep you know, you have your building box, your quarterback, your number one receiver. You don't have to pay running backs. We know that you have Will Anderson and you have Derek Stingley, and then you can figure out everything else around it. I just the way that they handled the draft this year of going out and getting Jayden Higgins and then Jalen Knowle, who a lot of people think is going to be able to fit the Tank Dell role for now, I mean because I mean, when Tank Dell comes back, if I'm not mistaken, he's not going to play this season.
Speaker 4: I think we can all pretty much agree on that. So then he's back next year. What do you get out of him next year? And then I guess that would be the fourth year of his deal at that point, so he would be playing his free agent year there. I mean, this is where you start to Once you have the guys who are able to be on the found money of rookie deals and you find a quarterback in that in that mold right there, then it's like, oh man, the rest of the roster is wide open for us to pretty much go out and get whoever we want. Because that guy's fine, we don't have to worry about him right now. But then you do have to worry about him. Then all of a sudden, the penny pinching starts.
Speaker 5: Well, it also just depends on what what can you get out of Nico Collins and is he going to deserve continuing these extensions and CJ's got to have a number one. And right now, you look down the rest of the roster, these guys aren't super high picks. Like, yeah, as much as you love Jayden Higgins to draft him in the second round over an offensive line, but he's still a second round pick. Right Noel is still a third round pick. And you lucked into Nico turning into what he's turned into because he was a third round pick who was banged up and he wasn't who wasn't the guy that he is now, Like he has transformed his body. He was always banged up and now he's been less so hurt, although there's still some soft tissue stuff that pops up with him. But when he was in his first you know, his rookie year here, I don't think anyone could have imagined like this is going to be an Alpha number one, super good, top ten NFL receiver. This is where also too, when you get into this category of you've paid the quarterback. Now you know that a fourth of your salary cap has gone. This is where Nick Cassio, who's been incredibly good overall with the draft, that's where it's like, all right now, that's when you really have to be even better because you can't have that situation pop up and then you've got to pay Will Anderson Junior soon. So that's another what you know, thirty million off the top right there that you're taking away from the cap. So I mean that's about ninety.
Speaker 4: Plus million dollars that you have of however much against the cap that you're going to be going with, Like you know, for example, Miles Garrett forty million per Daneil Hunter right now thirty five point six. I mean, I would probably think that Hunter is in his final two years with the team, Max Crosby, guys like that. I mean, that's probably the going rate that you're gonna have to pay for Will Anderson Junior when that time comes up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is, and it's going to keep going up. I mean, the inflation of these contracts is going to keep you know, Will Anderson probably get forty right, Like, he's one of the best defensive ends in the league. He's going to continue getting better and it's going to be the market rate. But then at the same time, the salary cap is going to keep going up. The NFL is doing great, and these guys are going to keep finding more and more space the rest of these deals. I mean it's football, right, Like they structure these deals in a way the teams can, for the most part, unless you're the Browns and Deshaun Watson, for the most part, can find a way to get out of it somehow without two problems that the new or owned Saints have been pushing back the tax man for you know, however many years, and it's finally, you know, finally come due.
Speaker 1: But they can get creative. I'm not that worried about it.
Speaker 4: The credit card bill definitely does come due. Let's get back into a little bit of baseball here, because something happened a couple of nights ago that somebody took massive exception two and they could not be more wrong.
Speaker 1: And we'll discuss that here.
Speaker 4: It is a Sean Salisbury show, Sports Talk at seven ninety.
Speaker 7: Doctor Jeff witz it at witstt vision dot com, wh I T s e t T the very best in the business. Talk to those who've gone to the Lasik procedure like me, or that get eye care from doctor Whitst. When you're talking about your eyes, pretty damn precious, right, So you might want to maximize that and go visit with people will tell you what I'll tell you. There's nobody better. He is attention to detail. He'll treat your eyes like he'd treat his own families or his own eyes, and he'll walk you through all the steps of lasik and the post I care. It's not invasive. I wasn't on the table ten minutes. It's and seeing better than I had since the prime.
Speaker 1: Of my vision. So for me, there's nobody better.
Speaker 7: It's doctor Jeff Witzet at witsit vision dot Com again w H I T S E T T. When you're looking for your eyes and they are precious, you want an expert, right. You don't want to leave anything to chance, and you won't chance anything but success with doctor Jeff Witzet. It's witsit Vision dot Com. Witsit Vision dot Com. That's witst vision dot Com.
Speaker 2: The Sean Salisbury Show continues on your Roku. Listen to Sports Talk seven ninety on any device with our free iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Christian Walker is not batting cleanup today, it's batting fifth over at first base. You get Pania Perettas Altuve as the DH today, hitting one through three rds. Back in the lineup, they're in the cleanup spot and catching you get Walker and Myers. Five and six, you get camp Smith out and writes Brendan Rodgers over at second Mauricio Dubond getting the start out in left field today for Hunter Brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 5: So it's a lineup that's meant to accentuate Hunter Brown or what he does and throws a lot of ground balls. But Rogers at second base, you have an outfielder and left who can throw a little bit. In Mauricio Dubond, you have your best center fielder out there. Camp Smith has continued to earn playing time, and you get Jose al tub off of his feet while you are Don Alvarez is still on the il and moving Christian Walker down to fifth. I mean that's he's earned that too, and not in the way that he wants. But he's just not hitting well enough to be in the fourth spot and having Jake Myers directly behind him, and Myers has been hitting really well this month.
Speaker 4: Making a prediction Walker Homers today, why not he likes that fifth spot? Told you how while he's hitting that fifth spot, I think there's gonna be some comfort there. And then Joe look, any other injuries, anything else that happens. Christian Walker hits fifth Yeah, let's will it into the atmosphere. Let's make it happen. Christian Walker is one for two with a home run off of Toaj Bradley in his career. I think you might be onto something here you go there, you go for your beat the streak. Who knows, you know, maybe that's somebody. Although it's one of the other things too that it's one of my sick games that I like to do with Twitter during a game is especially while watching the Astros, is to wade into the waters that is Astros Twitter, and one of them is to search a player's name and see what it is. And of course you know, strike out runners in scoring position.
Speaker 6: All of that.
Speaker 4: You'll get to people who are angry about that. But it's often people like you with beat the Streak or with Daily Fantasy or anything like that, that are like, this is the last time I take Christian Walker Like those are the ones that always pop up whenever his name comes up on Twitter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, gambling has massively changed how people talk about players, often in a really negative way, and you hope that you can separate the like these are real people that might not be having the best day at work when you're relying.
Speaker 1: On them too.
Speaker 5: This is on you for relying on humans and or sometimes horses and or sometimes the lesser times greyhounds.
Speaker 1: I think that's still legal.
Speaker 5: I don't know, to win you money, like these are not you know, these are not robots.
Speaker 1: There is a wide range of outcomes.
Speaker 4: You want to feel a certain way about yourself, go to a Vegas sports book, like early in the morning when like I don't know, Indonesian like kart racing is happening, and you see people in there that are actually wagering on it, and.
Speaker 1: You're just like, dude, what are you doing with your life?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you haven't lived until you've bet on euro Tour golf at three am.
Speaker 14: Dan.
Speaker 4: It's like a buddy of mine would like tell us about you know, certain like soccer bets, and we're just like, you know nothing about them, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's on it four in the morning, and you gotta have something to do.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you just got to throw ten bucks on Adrian moronk to win his three ball in Dubai, all right.
Speaker 1: I would think of other things to do.
Speaker 4: Sleep would be one of them at that time of the morning, especially out there in you know, Vegas, wherever you're at. I mean, I feel like you probably might be going in at that time. So if that's the case, then you know, get up, bloody Mary Michlata something like that. You're going for the next day, come back from omnia, sit down at the sports bar and throw a little bit of money on. I love betting on Euro Tour golf, by the way, I think that's uh, you can win those three balls. Give me a little Richard Bland on there to win his winners group.
Speaker 5: You know. Okay, not a bad idea, but it's one of those you wake up in the middle of the night, maybe had on the golf channel for whatever reason, and that's on. You're like, oh, yeah, hey, they're actually playing right now over in Jakarta or somewhere like that as part of the DP World Tour. Throw uh yeah, throw some money on the guys when they're playing at the LEA what's the golf course in France, Le Golf Lacional or whatever.
Speaker 1: I'll go with it, yeah, or of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sounds good, and that's that sounds like that's probably the place. But uh yeah, the Astros coming up a little bit later on this afternoon. The Red Sox, though they've got a former Astros coach as their manager, Alex Korra. It's graduation season two, and this isn't something that is new, Like, you know, it wasn't something you know, him stepping away for a game to go to his daughter's graduation. I mean, like I remembered when I covered the Braves, for example, Freddy Gonzalez was the manager. He took the entire series off when one of his kids graduated and Carlos Tosca had the series for them, and he was the acting manager because they were out on the West Coast and he's like, I gotta go back and you know, go to graduation.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna take the weekend. That's fine.
Speaker 4: But Alex Korra did it, and he met some backlash yesterday from it. So his daughter just graduated from Boston College. And Mike Felger, who is on ninety eight to five the Sports Hub there in Boston, called the decision for Kora to step away kind of preposterous, adding on, it just sets a tone. It's just a tone. You set an example you set for the team. It's not like they need him there to make the pitching change or lay down the bunt. It's the leadership optics of the whole thing. It's a very easy choice for him to say nothing's more important than tonight's game. He just does it by example. Nothing's more important than this game.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 4: It's the middle of May game, and I get it it was against the Mets, But like you just kind of already like proved your own point of it's not like they need him there to do this or that. Okay, fine, it's one game. It's all good. He's going to be a dad for the rest of his in her life. He's going to be the manager for only a short amount of time. This is a prime example ari of don't ever put something like this in front of the people who matter the most, and that's your family. I also am not one hundred percent sure that I believe this guy right, Like how many times are people just manufacturing opinions for just reaction.
Speaker 1: That's in play? That does happen?
Speaker 5: Sure, like all the time, Like all this one Soto stuff that's going on, Like how much of that is Like do you actually believe that whatever this is going on, or just like yappin for attention. This feels like a yapp and for attention thing to me. That's one of my favorite responses to have is whenever like I see or hear somebody say something and I'm just like.
Speaker 1: You don't even believe that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it can also come into play quite a bit, like where it's you know, you see somebody, Oh, they just eviscerated this guy, and I'm just like, you're playing up for the cameras, you're playing up for the microphones, Like are you really being honest with your audience? In most chances, I would say probably not.
Speaker 5: No, they're playing a character like do you really think And I know I've I've read articles about like people talking about how sincere like Skip Bayless is or how insane he is about whatever it is that he does. But like, do you really think that he's sitting at home and Lebron does something and he's like his day is ruined.
Speaker 1: Because of it? No, it's all fake.
Speaker 4: Well, there is that, And it's also though, like especially he's one of the ones who's on the list for me, like I haven't given you the concept triple he knows about the concept of me. Of the lists on the side of the refrigerator, the pay No Mind list, Skip Bayless is on that list.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I don't think I think that, Like you're you're coming up with something to talk about. If it's May and Alex Korra took a day off to go to his daughter's graduation, and you're turning it into a whole thing. It's also clearly your ship does not work anymore because if it if it did, you'd still be in the position that you were in. Like, yeah, it's that's one of those things where too it's Boston, right, and so you feel like you have to have this like hardcore like masculinity take about like this guy's got to come into work every day and work at the dockyards, and like also he's a baseball manager. Of all the coaches, they do the least of having an impact on whatever it is happens on the field.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: He got thrown out last night, Yeah, because Walker Bueller missed a you know, didn't get a call and he cussed out the umpire and then Cora gets thrown out and then the rest of the game they had their bench coach managing and they won. Like the difference between Alex Korra being there and not being there for No. One of One's sixty two is nothing. It's just I mean contrived. Some people will buy it, some people will go with it. I mean, I do agree with you on this thing, because it's just like you won the game first and foremost, So that's fine.
Speaker 1: It's one day.
Speaker 4: Like, it's not like he's taking time away because I don't know, think of a reason that he could possibly take time away that's not really that serious, Like nobody's in you know, danger of passing or anything like that. So you want to be with them and you know in all those moments. But like it's his daughter's graduation, and for the reasons that I just gave you there, Like, I don't think there's a single person in that clubhouse that, oh, Skip's not gonna be here tonight because it's going to his daughter's graduation. Skipper really care about us? Yeah, No, there's no way. Like the look, these guys are people. They understand.
Speaker 5: I guarantee you they're gonna at some point grow up and be like, yeah, I want to be at my daughter's graduation.
Speaker 1: They all understand.
Speaker 5: It's Also it's one day, Like most of these guys are so locked in all on the details of what they have to do. And keep in mind who the clubhouse leader is. In that clubhouse right now is Alex Bregman, who thinks about the minute details of swing mechanics and relief pitcher release points. Do you think that he cares that Alex Cora took a day off. No, he's got to go study Ryan's stannick splitter finger grip, all right, Like these guys don't care.
Speaker 1: They have their own stuff to worry about.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, and you think about it too, from in this case managers, but like coaches in this industry, like we're around it close enough that we know, like when you're on the job, you're on the job. The family is secondary and it's unfortunate and you miss a lot of those moments too. So I think like kind of Cora looks at this of saying, hey, I've missed first games, I've missed all of these other things because we've been playing a series out in LA against the Dodgers and I can't be there for that. This is one of these where it's in Boston. He's right there, he's right down the street, and he just says, look, I'm not missing this one. Like there's many things that unfortunately I have to grin and Barrett and I have to miss it, but this is not one that I can go back at and say, you know what, I'm really glad I managed that Monday night game against the Mets and mister graduation.
Speaker 1: No, he's not gonna say that.
Speaker 5: I don't think John Henry cares either. There's no way that they care that he's going to take one day off in the middle of the year. And it's also like it's not a Pennant race, like it's may It's fine. This is such a made up for attention take. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, he got the most of it right there, because Cora did have to talk about it. As he was asked before last night's game, said, people have their own opinions. I bet those people have families too, and at one point they have to make decisions as well. Bet they made decisions for the best of the family. I made the decision for my daughter. For those who don't understand, I'm not going to try to convince them. It is what it is. I made the best decision for my girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Fine, like the fact that even had to answer that is stupid. Yeah, I mean I saw that yesterday and I was just like backlash. I was like, what the hell could be back slash from missing a May nineteenth game against the Mets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that dumb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, some people want to wait in those waters. We try not to hear on The Seawan Salisbury Show. And I think for the most part, our batting average is good. All right, let's get back into the astros conversation. As the pitching as good as it's been this year. This guy's not getting their flowers enough and we'll talk about them right here. It is a Sean Salisbury's show. He is Ari Alexander KPRC two in for Sean, Dan Matthews, Triple E Emmanuel Elmore Sports Talk seven ninety The Shawn Salisbury Show continued. Was A, I mean he doesn't really look the part, you know, because we've been through that. But B he was writing all the songs for everybody, and then it was finally like they were like, dude, your stuff is really good, like you know, and you can sing, you can play like you need to do it. And then finally got his shot and now he's considered to be one of the best. I mean, he's awesome. I'm a big Stapleton.
Speaker 5: He was the guy that was sitting in the corner of the boardroom going like, this is the one that rhymes a beer.
Speaker 1: I don't think that he was trying to sell anybody on it.
Speaker 4: I think he was quietly like writing it out and like everybody's like, you know, hashing things out and doing all that, and then he just slides the paper across the table and it's just like that's the one puts the pen down on the paper and gets up and walks off. He's probably that cool with it right there. Yeah, like you know, it's everybody else, Oh hey, we should try. Like there's nothing better than like a you know, a conference room of people trying to pitch ideas and then somebody is just sitting back. Like it's almost like Billy bean in in Moneyball, where he's just sitting there and everybody Alhwa's got an ugly girlfriend.
Speaker 1: He's just like, what are we talking about? Yeah? Can he play baseball? Yeah? All right? Give me, all right, give me topics.
Speaker 5: Here, cold beer, tight jeans, dirt road, big truck.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna snap my fingers and point at Pete. Guys, you do not want me to point at Pete again? Yeah, I always love that scene. It's a movie that I don't think it's enough run, but good movie.
Speaker 1: Too long of a movie.
Speaker 4: Well that's and then also too, it's it's another one that you know we were talking about the music and beer snobs are the book was better than the movie. That's another one that people will throw at you. Who the book was better? It's just like, dude, you're trying to squeeze in a three hundred page book into a two and a half hour if then that's even long, but into a shorter amount of time frame. Like, yes, of course some things are going to be changed for cinematic entertainment. That's what the whole thing is. What do you knew here?
Speaker 5: Well, Billy Bean too, he's got to be excited that, like they got Brad Pitt to play him, Like could you imagine a better Like all right, hey man, we're optioning the book.
Speaker 1: Who are they gonned to play me? Yead pitch Well, Sean talks about that all the time.
Speaker 4: He knows Billy Bean and he said that that's something that he's brought up with him before he goes, hey, look, if nothing else happens to you in life, which had a pretty accomplished career in baseball, He's like, you can always lean back on the fact of Brad Pitt played me in a movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you imagine how incredible that would be. You know how many times you're like, a god, who would play me in a movie? They're like, we're gonna get Brad Pitt to play you. That reminds me of those interviews.
Speaker 1: All right, hey, we're gonna ask the off the wall stuff here. If somebody was to play you in a movie, who would who would play you?
Speaker 5: I love the confident like the white guy confident answer and Denzel Washington on Denzel Washington to.
Speaker 1: Play me in a movie? What I like? Denzel Washington? Hey, Dan, who would play you in a movie? Lu Diamond Phillips, that's it would play me?
Speaker 5: There you go, all right, you know, I don't know just that that's a good one, right there, Just throw out like an off the wall one, so then like it kind of like makes them feel awkward and then they're like, oh yeah, be serious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just like, dude, you asked the question, I answered it. What do you want from me, He can do macronus, he can play me. There you go, there, you go. See we're solving the problems here in terms of you know, some of these you know, original and I say it in air quotes, original questions that people will ask, like one of the ones that I like to ask pictures here, and you know we'll get into the astros pictures here is. We used to do this all the time on a former show I worked on, and we would have Colin McEwan And one of the times we had him on, one of my guys asked him, goes, if you go to the grocery store and there's the produce department, what piece of produce could you pick to be able to throw for a strike?
Speaker 1: He said, a key lime, a key lin.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, he said, probably has the same density as a baseball. No what, well, just like the weight of it is what he was getting at.
Speaker 1: Like too small.
Speaker 4: Well he did throw that into you know, into the equation, but he said that probably in terms of the weight and being able to you know, everything to follow through all of that, that he feels like he'd be able to throw a strike like an apple, he said, would be too big, an orange the same deal or.
Speaker 1: Just too big for sure? Now I'm thinking of like a kiwi.
Speaker 5: I think a kiwi decent density, the size spits in the palm of your hand like a baseball does. I think kiwi would be good. Key limes are too kidding me? What about a regular line? A regular line would be fine. First of all. Second of all, limes are oblong. You throw a baseball as a perfectly circular ball with seams. Why would you want an oblong shaped fruit? Wouldn't you want something more circular?
Speaker 4: Like I'd say, like maybe even you know, because kind of tomatoes fit into that category two? So maybe like tomatoes, Yeah, I mean because because it's all though. That's the problem is that, like you know, you can only grip it so, you know, so hard, because then you know it could squish in your hand and you're like, oh man, damn, I didn't really get to throw that.
Speaker 1: Mangoes are maybe too big.
Speaker 5: I think a kiwi is the point is the best thing here, because a kiwi is close enough to being round. It is dense with the fruit inside and the ship and that the shell. What's the the I don't know, you know what I'm talking about the outside of the key husk. The yeah Kiwi husk is uh is thick enough to where you can dig your your fingers into it.
Speaker 4: Interesting. Interesting. I wonder if Josh Miller would have a good take on this.
Speaker 1: That's a good idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, maybe that's the if I ever, you know, run into him, is be like, hey, Josh, look not for nothing here, damn Matthews. By the way, Sports Talk seven ninety senior around just setting a chance introduced. If I took you to a produce department, what could you throw for a strike right now? That'd be a hell of a first impression, that god question. Maybe I would actually think, you know, if any of the astros who could answer that question, the clubhouse, arrag Getty probably would be the guy that would think about it the most.
Speaker 5: It wasn't Asky. Those two guys would actually have a legitate, right Ryan Stanek back in the day have been phenomenal.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Notice I wouldn't go to Ryan Presley with that because I think press just glare you down. Pressley would be funny about it later, but he do like the fake glare and just he'd just be like, this is why I don't answer questions. It would also be a point to air me out right there he look at everybody else and be like this, this is why I avoid you guys after games. Questions like this are why I step away and tell you guys, I'm not available. Yeah, and then I didn't want to answer questions about produce.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean, you know, look, it could be a plug, it could be something you know, to be able to feed into somebody throughout the brand earlier.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 4: We don't have to, you know, go go further into who that is. We all know who it is. But no, that's that's that's something that keep keep in mind because I do do a lot of the Saturday games here for on deck and for the tenth inning, and a lot of times I'll go to the ballpark because I do want to get a player. So the next time I have a picture, sure as you're born, that's going to be asked, Yeah, get.
Speaker 5: When Urgedtty's back with the hand injury of the broken thumb Arragedtty's gonna have like an analytical, like smart answer about it. I agree, I agree, So hopefully I get him on a non start day there at the ballpark. But speaking to Josh Miller. The flowers need to go to the man.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that a little bit here to close out the show. Also, if we have time here before Matt and Ross step in, quitting your job and sailing the world with your pet, that's something you would be interested in. We'll talk about it here. It is the Sean Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 7: Hey Men's teaclinicmn's teaclinic dot com. I'm talking to the dudes out there that are struggling in low gear and not sure where they're getting their freak on. Right, Oh, are you any good in the sheets? Well, maybe it's sexual wellness you need. What about full body wellness? Well, sexual wellness seems to be always something that's talked about when it comes a low testosterone and you don't want it to be anything worse than That's the best way you can do it is just go in and draw a little blood.
Speaker 1: It's non invasive.
Speaker 7: By the end of the day you'll have your results and get to work and on normalizing your testosterone. And it may be sexual wellness you're concerned about it, Maybe full body wellness. It may be energy, maybe irritability, all those things that come under that umbrella. But if it's full body wellness, why wouldn't you want to find out first? Isn't that half the battle? Know one the conflicts so you can find answers to the conflict, and that is Men's Tea Clinic can help. Nine to seven to two, Go Men's Tea again, draw a little blood. Why you stand stuck in lower gear if you want to shift the narrative on your life, and it is changing lives and saving them in some cases, get too, Men's Tea Clinic. It's MEN'ST Clinic dot com. You deserve not only peace of mind, you deserve a great year ahead. Men's T Clinic dot Commnstclinic dot com. Nine seven two go Min's.
Speaker 2: Tea and we've that for the Shaan Salsbury Show continues.
Speaker 4: Last couple of minutes of the show seven one three two one two five seven ninety against seven one three two one two five seven ninety. We've been a lot of astros today and haven't had a chance much to be able to give the flowers to a guy that at times last year took it on the chin from some of our callers and from some of Astro's Twitter, dude, I mean, how much more do you have to see from this pitching staff the better part of the last two and a half years than to say, oh, Josh Miller knows what he's doing.
Speaker 1: They're good. They're really good.
Speaker 5: They're good from an organizational standpoint all the way up. And there are organizations that are terrible at this, the Rockies being the biggest one that don't know how to develop pitchers and the Astros. Do you have guys that have come out of nowhere, you have guys that are waiver claims. You have guys that they just get from pluck, from wherever, and they turn them into useful pictures. Taylor Scott. It's a great example career nine era, great year circle of trust last year. Obviously it hasn't worked out this year. And it's relievers right like they have a shelf life one and year to year. There's so much volatility in the relief game that you never know if is going to be good or not. Steven Okert, I know last night whatever, coming out of nowhere. He's a guy that they just picked up on, you know, on a minor league deal. Brian King late round pick out of nowhere, non prospect. He is their seventh inning guy right now. Like they have done a great job turning random guys that you would never believe are going to be good pitchers into useful players. Yeah, I mean, you know you mentioned Okret this year being another kind of reclamation project. I mean, hell, last year you say Kakuchi of having all the struggles he had there in Toronto, and then he gets here and they're like, yeah, that change up that you've got, throw that a little bit more and it's going to help you. And then sure enough he did, and it got him a nice little deal after the offseason.
Speaker 1: They fixed him immediately.
Speaker 5: It was like one start, they're like, hey, by the way, you have a four seam fastball that needs to.
Speaker 1: Be up in the zone.
Speaker 5: I don't know why the Angels told you to throw it low in the zone, but stop doing that. And then he goes out and as a two seventy era because they fixed like two minor things like stop throwing your curveball, throw this more fastball needs to be up in the zone. And then it's such an easy face, such a fix that makes sense. You're sitting there and going like, why are the Angels stupid? Why are they looking at this guy that there are the Angels?
Speaker 1: Sorry the blue Jay? Why are the signed with the Angels?
Speaker 5: Why are the blue Jays stupid that they're looking at this guy and they know that all the metrics show that he should be throwing his fast behind the zone and they just don't have him do that.
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 4: Yeah, some things that are just incredibly mind boggling in terms of, you know, how organizations run their things. But I mean, obviously the Astros, I mean you touched on it. I mean there's an organizational standard. Hey, this is how we handle our pictures. This is how we do it. This is you know, how we take guys from where they are and get them to overhear. And I mean that's something that he's got a hard enough job on, you know, the thirteen guys that he's got, But then you factor in all of the other guys that have had to make spot starts for you, Guys that have come up for you and seemingly been able to kind of pick up from where they left off there at Corpus or sugar Land or wherever whenever they get them up here.
Speaker 5: And there's so many guys that they have to deal with and just know this is how this guy fits into the system. And then they all have their unique tendencies and the different things they do, and they do teach certain things, right, So a lot of their pitchers, they want them to learn the fastball that Christian Haavier throws, the rising quote unquote rising fastball, the.
Speaker 1: High vaa vaaaa.
Speaker 5: If you want to go fastball, the above average vertical attack angle, above average fastball, and so Aarraghetti throws that kind of a fastball. They have a kid in Tripa right now, Miguel Iola, who throws that kind of a fastball. And then they teach the different sweeper and all the you know, the things that fit into what a modern pitcher is today. They have been among the best in baseball at doing this for years and years, and they have turned non prospects JP France in twenty twenty three into viable major league pitchers. Though nothing bad to say about the Astros pitching coaches and the Astros pitching development, Brandon Walter perfect exa ample guy that they signed off the street and said, hey, tweak this because remember we were talking about him yesterday.
Speaker 1: You asked me, what does he have?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm looking at his twenty twenty three usage and he's a sinker sweeper guy. Well, last night he was throwing different stuff. They came in and said, stop doing this. Start doing this. Five scoreless innings, first time in the majors this year, signed off the street.
Speaker 1: They're good at their jobs.
Speaker 4: How amazing is it too, that you know, you talked about him being a crafty lefty last night and I see, you know, he's ninety ninety one somewhere around there, And it's like there was a time where it's like, oh, that's not bad for a lefty. Now it's like you're throwing that like it's almost like when we were growing up. I'd be somebody throwing in like the mid to high eighties at that point, and it doesn't seem like it's much of a difference. But it's like, no, like now like ninety five is an average fastball, Like back then it was like ninety two was. It's it's amazing to think, like how much like that's grown.
Speaker 1: The game has changed.
Speaker 5: And there's a Code of five baseball who I nail all the time for their Tony Gwyn obsession. Actually, he put out a really good chart. I forgot what day it was recently, but it was basically average slugging and ops against certain velocity fastballs, and it goes down from eighty whatever all the way up to one hundred. And you can see that every one to two ticks up on a fastball, it gets harder and harder to hit. So for all these little league dads that are like you, go out there and beat Greg Maddox and I don't care how hard you throw it. Velocity doesn't matter. Just throw strikes and just try to paint the corners wrong. There's a reason that pitchers in Major League Baseball chase velocity because the number show the harder you throw doesn't matter where.
Speaker 1: It is, the harder it is to hit.
Speaker 5: So yes, guys throwing ninety seven are gonna do better than guys throwing ninety three.
Speaker 4: Man, we didn't get to the guy that you know is traveling in the world with his cat right now. But luckily Gordy's a cat guy, and Gordy's in with me and I'm a cat guy.
Speaker 5: Well there you go. His name's Henry's very cute. Oh that's right, person. I got two of my pups. Love our dogs, Pixie and Choco. Shout out to them. But that's gonna do it for dude. Great stuff this last couple of weeks. I have really enjoyed it, man, tons of fun. And you're on the list. You're gonna be back on the good list, not the not the do not.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's it. Yeah, you're you're you're on the fifth notepad. There the good list. Okay, you know, probably needs to be closer to the top, but definitely you're on the list of people that will definitely be invited back.
Speaker 1: So no, appreciate it. Man.
Speaker 4: He's Ari Alexander KPRC two, Imdian Matthews, Triple E, Emmanuel Elmore, The Matt Thomas Show with Ross coming up next as Astros Baseball coming your way here at noon. We'll talk to you in twenty hours right here Sports Talk seven ninety