Speaker 1: You're listening to an AIRWAVEMDIA podcast.
Speaker 2: Monster House presents Monster Talks, a proud member of the Airwave Media podcast network, home of such shows as Subtext, The Projection Booth and the Daily Meditation Podcast. If you'd like to advertise on the show, contact sales at advertisedcast dot com.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: A giant hairy creature, partape, part Matt.
Speaker 1: In Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the highlands of Scotland, if a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monster tal Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. This week longtime front of the show, doctor Justin Mullis joins us to talk about the cryptozoology DNA president in Godzilla and yeah, that's metaphorical, yet it's more on the nose than you might imagine. Now, Justin was just at g Fest, the Chicago based convention for all things Kaiju this very weekend giving a talk about this topic, and I'm grateful that he took the time to give some of that information to you, our audience here at Monster Talk. Justin Mallis now has his PhD in American Culture studies from Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He got his master's religious studies from the University of North Carolina and Charlotte, where his area focus was on the intersection of religion and pop culture. He teaches on diverse topics likely of interest to our listeners, including the role of dinosaurs and pop culture, religion and horror films, and cryptozoology and American culture.
Speaker 4: Let's get to that, monstert. Hey, welcome to Monster Talk, and welcome.
Speaker 2: Back to Monster Talk, doctor, doctor Justin Mullis.
Speaker 5: Thank you. It is happy. I'm happy to be back. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Last when we last talked, you were still working on that program. But you've gotten a degree using monsters.
Speaker 1: We're jealous.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when I was I was last on here with you guys in twenty nineteen. Blake and I we had just met in real life at the Gods and Monsters conference earlier that year at Texas State, and he'd heard me give my presentation there about Thomas Jefferson and as possibly the first cryptozoologist in America. I feel like, considering the topic we're gonna be talking about today, I should clarify that first Cryptozologists in America.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I had I had mentioned at the end, Yeah, that I was. I was trying to find a doctoral program. And so later in that same year, based on some advice from some you know, good friends and colleagues, especially I should give a shout out to Nick Clark. So I ended up applying and getting accepted to the American Culture Studies program at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, where.
Speaker 5: I ended up going to do my pH d.
Speaker 3: With my focus being on looking at this idea of cryptozoology and American culture and specifically early American culture.
Speaker 5: They were very receptive to.
Speaker 3: That kind of work and that being an avenue that I could explore, and it turned out to be a great university to do that kind of work at because of that American Culture Studies program, and also, you know, they have a very well regarded and well renowned pop culture studies program here which is kind of connected at the hip to the American Culture Studies program. And one of the things that Bowling Green is famous for with that regard is they have the Ray and Pat Brown Pop Culture Library here, which is one of the largest archived collections of pop culture related to femera. So that was really useful for me as far as giving me access to a a lot of classical like science fiction and fantasy and pulp fiction text which tied in with a lot of my work and my scholarship. But they also have a lot of material related to Fortiana and the paranormal. As part of that collection. They've got like a complete run of every issue of Fate magazine, all kinds of books and and monographs. You know, some of the stuff I know I'd posted online, like on on my Facebook page and stuff because I would I would request something like at one point I requested a copy of Mark Hall, the famous cryptozoologists book on thunderbirds, and instead of getting the sort of standard copy, I got this early like DIY version that he had done that they happened to have in their collection.
Speaker 4: Wow. So that's so I was court archive.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bowling Green's Library is also the home of the Invisible Inc.
Speaker 5: Collection.
Speaker 3: It's it's all, it's all books relating to the Pair and Normal and they've all been donated by somebody I believe you've had on the show before, which is Ohio Folkloris Chris Woodyard wow.
Speaker 5: Yes, wow.
Speaker 3: So all of all of her books that she's donated from her personal library and collection.
Speaker 5: Over the years are here.
Speaker 3: So both of those collections, between the Ray and Pat Brown and the Invisible Inc Collection are a fantastic resource for anybody who's wanting to do work relating to the paranormal and the Fortiana in an academic setting.
Speaker 5: So yeah, wow, Well.
Speaker 1: That's really exciting. So a lot has happened since we last spoke with you, and one of those things is that you've been working on a paper and that's why we brought you on today to talk about this. So could you briefly describe the main theme of your paper, From Cryptids to Kaiju and what inspired you to write it as well?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So this is this is the most recent piece of scholarship that I've had published. It came out earlier this year. It's in the journal the Interdisciplinary Science Review, and the other full title is from Cryptids to Kaiju Exploring Heterodox Paleoscience with Godzilla and this was this was part of a larger series of articles that the Interdisciplinary Science Review are doing under the editorial guidance of two scholars, Richard Fallon and Eddie Gumont, who I know and are good, great friends and colleagues, and they're interested in basically, yeah, as as part of my title there heterodox paleoscience or palaeontology, and so that includes things like cryptozoology and other stuff. So they had reached out to me about if I had wanted to contribute to this series that they were doing, and I said yes, I had an idea for this, which was it originally started off as I was wanting to write something about and it was kind of based on a blog post I had done at one point years ago about you know, the paleontology of Godzilla, right like, what is what actually is Godzilla from a paleontological kind of perspective, And then I sort of realized that article had been written several times over already, and then in the process of working on this, it kind of expanded into this different thing, which was really looking at the history of cryptozoology in Japan and then also talking about how that history then eventually manifests itself into the form of this global pop culture icon, which is Godzilla, who is you know, really having a moment right now also in sort of global popular culture.
Speaker 2: First of all, let me say something about your paper. I read a lot of academic papers. I am not an academic, even though I do aspire to be one in some ways.
Speaker 4: So this took well. Thanks.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that Karen and I try to do the research in an academic style, but you know, I just don't have the proper training I think that i'd like to have, so I may have absolutely accidentally absorbed some But this is a very accessible paper, and I think so for some of our readers who might sometimes be intimidated by reading journal articles, this one's different. So I hope they are able to find a copy of it. In this paper, you define cryptozoology, but what does it mean in this papers from this paper's reference? And how does it relate to heterodox paleoscience, which is something you talk about a lot.
Speaker 3: There's definitely related kind of issues, so I think within the kind of broader theme that Eddie and Richard kind of had in mind when they're talking about the idea of heterodox paleoscience or heterodox paleontology, they just mean anything that is not necessarily accepted by sort of the scientific mainstream. So so you know, in more kind of common parlance what you would call like pseudoscience, right, so paleontological pseudoscience.
Speaker 5: Now, you know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that and this was this is a conversation that I had had with both Eddie and Richard early on, is that all of us kind of have difficult feelings about the term pseudoscience. We think in some ways it's overly general. It doesn't really do a good job of telling you what is the issue with something other than say saying, well, it's not science. And it's like, well, we've kind of already established that it's not science. How is it not science? Why is it not science? How are you kind of defining that?
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 3: They really encouraged me, and I cite his work in my paper to kind of look at historian of science Michael D. Gordon's book on the Fringe, where Gordon attempts to kind of move beyond the idea of pseudoscience, and he breaks it down into several different categories. And the two that I found to be the most useful with regards to this project and with thinking about cryptozoology is so Gordon himself classifies cryptozoology as an example of what he calls a counter establishment science, meaning that it pushes a back against you know, the sort of general consensus understanding within that field. So with regardless of them like cryptozoology. The most simple example of that would be, you know, palaeontologists would tell you that all non avian dinosaurs died out sixty five million years ago, and then cryptologists would be like, no, you know, see the lacknest monster, see mochaleum momembe right, see whatever, right, there are examples of non avian dinosaurs that are still alive, and they'll say, you know, the establishment whatever that means, is blind to this fact. The other category that Gordon introduces that I also found to be very useful, and he doesn't put cryptozoology in this, but he acknowledges that all of these categories could probably be applied to multiple different areas is he talks about the idea of vestigial science, and so vestigial science refers to something where you have a discipline that has refused to stay up to date with the current scholarship. And I know this is something that also like Jebcard has written about before in regards to cryptozoology, which is this idea that you know, like cryptozoologist seem to still be functioning at the level of like nineteenth century naturalists, right, and they have not progressed into more modern ways of thinking about zoology, thinking about field biology and those kinds of things. And this is also again related to like why depictions of prehistoric animals like dinosaurs, like plesiosaurs in cryptozoology also tend to be very outdated themselves, right, Like the Latnus monster is this old model of a swan necked plesiosaur that is not considered in keeping with the most latest research in the field of paleontology. Mocalium ammbay is a swamp dwelling sauropod. You know, no serious paleontologists thinks that soropods were swamp dwelling animals.
Speaker 5: They were dry land animals. Right.
Speaker 3: So those are two concepts that I talk about and I use in the article with regards to thinking about this. But then the sort of larger thing is also I'm thinking about cryptozoology itself as an example of what I call the scientification of folklore, which is a concept that I'm getting from a pair of culture studies scholars Grimshawn Lester, who wrote a monograph back in the seventies called the Meaning of the Latinus Monster, and they introduced this idea that cryptozoology should be viewed as a kind of modern folklore. And what makes it unique or different from other kinds of folklore is that it has incorporated, or we might even say appropriated, the language of science as a means of increasing its apparent veracity. And so in that sense, it doesn't necessarily matter if the science is mainstream, if it's supported by the quote unquote establishment, or if it's even necessarily up to date. As long as it and I use this phrase as well, to borrow it from Sharon Hill, as long as it sounds sciencey, it's good enough for the general public, right And that's what's important here. So that's how I'm thinking about cryptozoology, and this article and a lot of my other work is as this kind of science inflected.
Speaker 1: Folklore, right well, very interesting stuff, and I wanted to get into something a bit more specific here if we could talk about the Godzilla franchise. So how does that serve as an example of cryptozoological fiction? And could you explain how Japanese folk wells such as the stories of the Kappa or the Tengu how have they influenced Godzilla's creation.
Speaker 3: Part of the main aspect of this article was me looking at like the history of cryptozoology in Japan, and so one of the things that I realized was that if you're thinking about cryptozoology as this honor of folklore that is sort of inflected by and using the language and kind of the concepts of science, then this is actually something that the Japanese have been doing for a very long time with their folklore, where it would it would go.
Speaker 5: Back at least to.
Speaker 3: Like the seventeenth century, right, And because you start finding what's going on is especially during like sort of the Tokugawa period sixteen hundred to eighteen sixty eight, which is this this stretch of time in Japan where Japan becomes sort of isolated from the Western world except for kind of limited exchange with the Dutch. This is also the period where they start working on the first sort of explorations into what we would call natural history. Right during this time period you start having these first explorations of natural history, and the monsters of Japanese folklore are not excluded from these explorations, they are actually incorporated into it. But what's interesting here is that rather than the academics who are looking at this kind of stuff, you know, dismissing these creatures because there's like a lack of you know, empirical evidence, their approach is to just kind of it seems to be just sort of assume that that evidence must exist. So I talk about, for example, this guy Koremoto Tanshun, right, who lived from seventeen fifty six to eighteen thirty four, and he was actually the personal physition of the Showgun. And he assembles this group of scholars to investigate a particular monster from Japanese folklore, which is the Kappa, which where people aren't familiar this kind of vampiric turtle duck looking creature. And so Tanschu and his team go out and they collect all of these eyewitness reports, right, hundreds and hundreds of eyewitness reports, and they they corelate them, and they come up with a profile for the Kappa, which is, you know, no different than like any other animal. Right, they have anatomical features, size, color, behavior, ecosystem, habitat everything. And they they create this sort of synthesis and they publish it as a book called Suko Koiyaku or a study of water tigers is what that would literally translate as water tiger being another name for the Kappa. And then subsequent to that, you have a pair of naturalists, these brothers, which are Sakamoto and Juntaku Conan, who create a kind of a series of illustrations based on this study, because as part of the study, Tantue and his team decide that there's not just one type of Kappa, there's like seven types of kappa, right, and and so you've got this set of iowoness accounts that have been turned into a sort of taxonomical description and then illustrations showing what these creatures look like, because of course they don't have any specimens to go along with it, to give people this idea of like, here's what these these creatures look like. And if any of this sounds familiar to anybody, it's because this is exactly what cryptozoologists still do today.
Speaker 5: Right. If you've read like the books.
Speaker 3: Of Lauren Coleman or Patrick Wynn, you know, like their field Guides to Lake Monsters or to Bigfoot, that's what those books are. They are collections of ies sightings that have been synthesized into a taxonomical description of a speculative creature with an accompanying illustration to show you what these creatures are supposed to look.
Speaker 4: Like like a real world monster manual, A real.
Speaker 3: World monster manual exactly. And that's exactly what these Japanese naturalists were doing all the way back in the seventeenth and eighteenth century as well. I think that this process was really important though, because it lended these creatures this extra degree of veracity, right, It made them feel more real to their readers, just the fact that they were being spoken of in this way and described in this way and talked about in this way. And I think that's a big part of what allowed them to endure in Japanese culture. So that, you know, the Kappa is still a very important figure in Japanese culture even today. And of course, as I mentioned in the paper that I don't have I didn't have the space to kind of go into specific examples, but you know, there are still sightings of Kappa in Japan to this day, right, you know, they are still treated as an actual cryptid, right, people still claim to have encounters with them as a result, right, which is not something that's necessarily true about every kind of monster or yokai in Japanese folklore, just as it's something that's not true about every kind of monster that exists in the folklore of any country. But it does seem to me that when you have that kind of veracity, that kind of stuff that's added into these legends, that that's what helps to perpetuate them and helps them to endure. And that's one of the things that has made cryptids, you know, in a way kind of like very sticky, right, they hang around even once you can sort of trace their origins to like a hoax or a misperception or something. It does matter because the idea that these things are real has been so firmly planted in the public consciousness.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting there's there's parallels in sort of Western folklore monsters in this there's monsters like you don't see people reporting dragons or mermaids very often, but it's not as zero.
Speaker 4: They still happen.
Speaker 2: It's just not as common like you know most Oh, of course dragon's ridiculous, but no, they still show up. Here's a question for you, and this is to contextualize things a bit. How does the Godzilla franchise sort of reflect these cultural political moods over the eras in the decades. And I mean that both in your premise here comparing the way cryptosuality translates into kaiju, but also because there is something in Japanese culture around this concept of eras that I've just sort of picked up on through things like Godzilla the movie series being tied to eras, but also I've seen it in anime in One Piece, which my family is slowly working their way through.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, they always talk about the Great Pirate Era.
Speaker 2: In this concept that there's these ages or eras or periods of time that sometimes they're short or long.
Speaker 4: Is that tied to royalty? Where does that come from?
Speaker 3: Obviously you have the the kind of historical eras which are usually tied to government or what's going on. So for example, I know I already mentioned the Tokagawa period, which is this period of time where the emperor still exists in Japan.
Speaker 5: But has been kind of uh uh you know.
Speaker 3: Pushed off to the side, and instead you have this this military ruling class which is which is headed up by the showgun instead, which is the first showgun was tokay Gawa is Sayu and so that's why it becomes the Tokagawa Era, and then like his descendants take over afterwards, and then you know, but then the Tokagawa Era transitions into you know, like the maj Era, which is a period of reform, which is a reference to then back to the emperor you know that's in power or the sort of the figurehead of the country at the time, which is then followed by the Taishow Period, which for again anime fans, that's when like Demon Slayer is set during the Taishow period, which is a sort of transitional era for Japan where they're starting to attempt to modernize or western eize. So then following that though, then you have the two big recent eras that you often hear Western Godzilla fans talk about as as a way of kind of demarketing the franchises. You have the Showa Era, which is basically you know, most of the twentieth century up until up until into the nineteen eighties, which is when the Showa Era ends, and then the Heyse Era and again and these refer to the particular emperor and it's by their last name and who they're being referred to. So the sort of original seventeen films in the Godzilla series that are made between nineteen fifty four and nineteen seventy five are known as the Shoa Era films in both Japan and amongst American fans. And then the second series of films, which is from eighty four to ninety five, is what's known as the heyse Era, And there is a little fudging going on there because the show Era wasn't over in eighty four, so technically the first film from the heyse Era series is actually a Showa Era film, and sometimes that's reflected in Japanese language Godzilla books because for obvious reasons, they care a little bit more about this than we do about getting that exactly right. But usually even they because you know, they acknowledge that, you know, Return of Godzilla from nineteen eighty four or is the first film in that second series of movies, so it has to be included even if it was technically made and released during the show Era. But then the other thing that I think is interesting that I briefly reference in this paper is that the Japanese also do seem to have this thing with kind of marking certain periods in their history, where there are major trends in popular culture, which is something that I don't necessarily see other cultures doing or using. So I talk about, for example, that in the seventies, cryptozoology starts getting popularized in Japan, and this is as a result of something that the Japanese remember as what they call the occult boom, and so that's one of the things that you'll see. They talk about these moments where certain ideas are trending in popular culture, and they refer to them as boom. So earlier, in like the fifties and the sixties, there'd been a kaiju boom, and then there was a subsequent like Yokai boom, and then in the seventies you have what's known as the occult boom, which seems to have coincided with the prophecies of Nostra Damis getting translated into Japanese for the first time, and so then people get really interested in that kind of occult or mystical material, and you see those kinds of things trending through their popular culture. And then in the late seventies and into the eighties, you have actually a Ufo boom, which coincides with the release in Japan of Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third kind, and so they remember and they kind of demarkate these periods where certain things got really really popular and we're sort of.
Speaker 5: In the kind of general cultural zeitgeist.
Speaker 3: And you see that reflected then, to get to your answer your question, Blake, you see that reflected in the Godzilla series, right, one of the examples that I talk about. And so you have that initial cult boom in the seventies, and then there's a subsequent kind of a cult boom in Japan also in the early nineties, and these things do parallel global trends as well, because of course that was a period in American culture where the pair and normal started getting really popular again with things like.
Speaker 5: The X Files and whatnot.
Speaker 3: And I'm not entirely sure what the inciting incident was for the second like a cult boom in Japan. But one of the Godzilla movies that comes out in the early nineties is the movie Godzilla Versus King Gidora. And this film involves UFOs, it involves cryptozoology, it involves time travel, and the protagonist of the movie is actually a journalist who works for Moo magazine, which is basically the Japanese equivalent of the forty in time. Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, So all of that.
Speaker 3: Kind of stuff is being reflected in that particular film.
Speaker 1: Speaking of movies, in what ways has Godzilla influenced real world cryptozoology and how is crypt zoology in turn influenced new Godzilla films?
Speaker 3: All right, so I guess we want to go back to the very beginning, the original Godzilla from nineteen fifty four. So that movie was the brainchild of Toho Studios producer Tomo Yuki Tanaka. There's a lot that There's a lot that could be said about this, some of which is more speculative on my part that I talk about in the paper, and some of which is a little bit more direct, and I'll stick right now to the kind of really direct stuff. So Tomo Yuki Tanaka has this idea that he wants to do a big monster movie. He hires a well regarded and well known Japanese pulp fiction writer at the time, Shaghiru Kayama. Shaghiru Kayama, at this point in his career, is most famous for a pair of stories he's written, which you're titled The Revenge of Orran Pin Deck and the return of Orring Pin Deck probably, yeah, which should ring some bells for some people, because you know, the Oran Pin Deck is basically the Indonesian version of Bigfoot, right.
Speaker 4: And little Little Foot the kids are calling it, Yeah, well.
Speaker 5: It's small right yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this this is what he's most famous for at the time, and none of Kayama's work has ever been translated into English until just late last year, so the University of Minnesota Press put out kayamas novelizations of both the original Godzilla and the sequel Godzilla Raids, again translated by Jeffrey Angles, who is also going to be at g Fest this year with me giving a talk and and so, and I've I've been talking to Angles since before the book came out and everything, and and he's he's confirmed for me that, yes, Kayama was obsessed with what we today would call cryptozoology. He was he was fascinated by this idea of undiscovered or mysterious creatures. And this is primarily the kinds of stories that he wrote about in pulp fiction magazines. And in fact, the reason why uh Tanaka probably hired Kayama had less to do with his orain pindex stories and more to do with the fact that he'd written a number of stories up to that point, such as one called the Gira Monster, which was about a dinosaur that was bulletproof attacking people on an island in the South Pacific. He wrote a story called Lizard Island, which was about a biologist that goes to an uncharted island in the South Pacific and discovers these giant lizards that they call demonosauruses. He had a story called the Monster Spectator, which if you look at the illustrations from the original Japanese POLP magazine that those appeared in the Monster and that story looks almost exactly like Godzilla.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Kayama was really really interested in this that he wrote a story. He also wrote a story which might actually be I'm trying to find out more information about this because I've been I've been curious about the idea of, you know, how the cela can't became the poster child for cryptozoology when I know, as you've talked about before on the show, it's actually a really bad case study for cryptozoology. And one of the things that I found interesting is that cela cants don't seem to actually turn up that often in crypto fiction. But lo and behold, Kayama wrote a story called The Monster a Cela Can't So you know, you know, part of part of this is obviously the issue of you know, getting getting this stuff translated into English or you know, getting a hold of copies of it and and that kind of stuff. But you know, these Godzilla novelizations have sold really well for the University of Minnesota Press, so I know, Jeffrey is you know, in talks with them about possibly getting more of kayama stuff translated over here. But so Kayama, being the one who writes the original Godzilla movie and Godzilla Raids again, injects a lot of that interest in cryptozoology into the original movie. And so this is why you end up with you know, I think the kind of rich, fringe scientific content that you do in this film, Like you know why one of the protagonists, you know, is doctor doctor Yamane is a paleontologist, you know, and that they they bother to have these scenes where you know, he's explaining kind of like you know, the sort of paleontological pseudoscience of Godzilla. And one of the really interesting things in that scene if you go back and you watch the movie is that part of the evidence that he cites for why, you know, the Japanese diet the government. He's making his presentation to the government, you know, should take these reports of this giant dinosaur monster being seen off the coast of Japan seriously. Is he mentions the recent discoveries of the footprints of a snowman in the Himalayas, right, Yeah, he's citing the Yeti as evidence. And that's also really interesting because the film that Kayama and a. Shiro Honda, who is the director of the original Godzilla, would collaborate on right after the Original Godzilla had wrapped is a movie that in English is known as half Human. In Japan, it's Junjin yuki Otoko or beast Man of the Snows, and it's a Yei movie, and it's it's probably, in my opinion, the best or the second best, like nineteen fifties Yeti movie ever made, right up there with Hammers the Abominable Snowman. The problem is it's very well, it's gotten easier to see in recent years. Toho has never released that film on home video.
Speaker 5: Really not in Japan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not in Japan, certainly not in the States. There's there's complicated reasons for that. The the depiction of the people who live in proximity to the Yetti is not considered politically correct by modern Japanese standards. So that's a whole can of worms. So they've kind of buried this movie as a result. It's a very sort of like Disney Song of the South situation.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, but at some point somebody but they apparently they still show the movie occasionally at film screenings because a friend of mine, Nicholas Clark, who lives in in Japan, got to see it in a theater because they did a screening of it. They just won't release it on home video or on any kind of streaming platform or anything. But somebody at some point leaked a copy of the film, and so it's out there on the Internet, and people keep uploading it on like YouTube or vimo or archive dot org, and Tojo keeps having it pulled down, and people just keep posting it.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 2: It reminds me very much of a lot of the things like the uh, the Fantastic Four movie. Uh, you know that Roger Korman did where you used to only be able to get it at the back table at a convention on bootleg VHS third Generation, everybody looks like they're made out of plastic, you know, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's one of those it's one of those things where you know, it's it's a real shame because it's an amazing it's an amazing film if you can, if you can watch it, and I think, you know it it deserves a release, you know, you know, probably done with you know, the kind of proper care and consideration. If it's like, you know, we understand that some of the content and this is problematic by modern standards, but that just doesn't seem to be something that Toho's interested in.
Speaker 2: I've enjoyed a few things where they put a not a disclaimer but basically a contextual informational card at the start to sort of remind you, yeah, we know, we were aware it's important for reasons, but this is not you know, the content's not great now, but it also it's important to preserve this, you know, this history. So yeah, that's interesting. I have actually not seen it, but I also have a bootleg, so it's it's on my to do this.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that is definitely how like cryptozoology directly impacted, like the original conception and development of Godzilla was that it all came through Shagiru Kayama, right and then and then. The other example would be the movie that I already mentioned, Godzilla Versus King Gadora, which involves direct cryptozoology. So in particular, in that case, they cite the nineteen seventy seven Zooey Maru incident, which I know you guys have done a show on in the past.
Speaker 2: So I won't the long ago pass like, yeah, yeah, that was with Greg Cuban. Yeah wow, wow, that goes way back to like the first two Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, so yeah, I won't, I won't belabor that, but they do directly reference the Zooey Maru case in that movie. They show the photos at one point, And actually I noticed a couple of years ago when I was working on a different presentation for Gfest that when they show the Zooey Maru photos, if you're if you know your cryptozoology and you pay attention, they actually also show in the same scene Sir Peter Scott's famous painting of a pair of Nessies in Courtship and lockness.
Speaker 2: So wow, you kind of want to see their next intertwine to make a heart like you know, they swines all the time. But kid, I know we're running short on time, and we'll definitely have to have you back because there's some big concepts that I want to talk about. But let's, uh, if you don't mind, briefly, let's talk about a topic that I can't seem to let go of, which is the feedback loop between focal or fiction and air quote real world cryptozoology, because you do talk about that in this paper.
Speaker 3: A big part of my research into this is I have you know, I've become increasingly convinced that there is this kind of feedback loop that exists between speculative fiction and cryptozoology where people who are writing speculative fiction. Well, so it can go in any number of ways, and it is I mean, it's one.
Speaker 5: Of those things.
Speaker 3: It's really appropriate with Charles fort once said, right, you know, you can start a circle beginning anywhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, because it's either the case that you have people who are writing speculative fiction who are reading the works of cryptozoologists or other fringe researchers right again, pseudoscientists for lack of a better word, and then they are incorporating those ideas into their fiction, and then that material is getting read by both people in those communities, in those fourteen communities, and by the general public as well in many cases, and that's either reinforcing certain beliefs that they have or providing them with particular beliefs and ideas. Again, I actually think, you know previous episodes you guys just did with Joe Laycock and Eric Harrelson about the Exorcist Effect. I've read that book. I think Joe and Eric do an amazing job in the second chapter of that book of actually breaking down explaining how the mechanics of this feedback loop actually work. So I'm not going to try and you know, summarize summarize what they do there. People should really read that second chapter. But this, this feedback loop is real, and it exists where you know, these things are influencing each other, and they're influencing how people think about them and how these things are perceived and how they're understood in the real world. And I think, you know, you can make this case with cryptozoology just as well as you can make it with the kind of you know, demonic beliefs that Joe and Eric are talking about. The way that somebody like Jason Colovito has made this case with regards to like ancient alien proponents and the fiction of H. P.
Speaker 5: Lovecraft.
Speaker 3: Right there, there are multiple examples that you can cite. And what's fascinating about this is that, you know, you would think that something like Godzilla, right, you would go, well, okay, sure, you know, I might believe you that, you know, say, the popularity of you know, like bigfoot media or something would influence people to have more bigfoot sightings, or you know, the success of close Encounters of the third kind caused more people to interpret weird lights they'd seen in the sky as being UFOs. But certainly nobody is actually going out into the world and seeing Godzilla, right, And as I talk about it the end of my paper, this is not necessarily true. So in the Annals of Japanese Cryptozoology, there is a famous case which is what's known as Antarctic Godzilla, which took place on February thirteenth, nineteen fifty eight, and there was a Japanese Antarctic research vessel called the Sooya and according to the captain Mitsuji Matsumoto, at about seven pm, him and a lot of his crew were you know, looking out into the Lutzoholm Bay off the coast of Antarctica, and they saw this large creature moving through the water, and they said it resembled a way but with a serrated fin on its back and a head like a cow, complete with protruding ears. And nobody had a camera on them at the time. And when the chief engineer apparently left the bridge to try and go grab one, by time he came back, the creature in question had vanished. But Matsumoto, you know, having seen this, was reminded of the movie Godzilla, and so he wrote down the name, you know, nan Kiyo ku Gojira Antarctic Godzilla in his log. And this has become, you know, kind of this famous case in the annals of Japanese cryptozoology. It's not very well known outside the annals of Japanese cryptozoology, which I find kind of surprising. It doesn't get mentioned in any sort of the standard reference literature or material or even stuff focusing like specifically on cryptid whales. But this is this is kind of a plastic case in Japan that people talk about. And what's also interesting about this and this kind of demonstrates and shows that that feedback loop and that influence is that because Matsumoto gave this this creature, which by all accounts sounds like some kind of odd whale or marine mammal, because he gave it this name. If you look at visual depictions of it over the years in Japanese cryptozoological literature, it goes from initially being this whale or marine mammal type creature to becoming increasingly reptilian, increasingly dinosaur like, increasingly resembling its cinematic namesake.
Speaker 4: But scaled up exactly for you know.
Speaker 3: For Godzilla, in a way to draw a parallel that's very similar to how you know, if you go back to the primary sources for Mothman, nobody was discribed insectoid humanoid. They were describing some kind of large bird.
Speaker 5: But because the.
Speaker 3: Media gave it the name, yes, many nowadays, the image that you'll find if you google Mothman is by and large this weird insectoid humanoid type creature. Because that's that's what's happened over time, and that's influenced the sightings and even the original witnesses.
Speaker 2: And in this week's episode, we we talked to our guest and as the favorite monster, the one we just recorded, and she she said mothman, but as she described it, it was like a giant moth And I absolutely did not want to correct her, because, hey, if that's how you're encountering it in the pop culture.
Speaker 4: World, that's how it's evolved.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's not you know, you can't force people back to the purity of the original story because these things change over time. I mean, as a nerd, I mean I want to say, but no, it's actually but the reality is these things more.
Speaker 3: Ye, it's part of that idea of folklore, right, because that's and that's you know why this idea of like Grimshaw and Lester is about the scientification of folklore is important because folklore, just like a living organism, wants to survive, and to survive it has to adapt, it has to evolve.
Speaker 5: And so if that.
Speaker 3: Means incorporating the language of science, the vocabulary of science, making its monsters sound less fantastic and more scientifically plausible in a in a you know, cryptozoological sense, which might mean you know that actual scientists, actual palaeontologists are groaning and rolling their eyes. But for the general public, they're going, Yeah, that sounds right, that sounds believable, that sounds science y. Then that's that's what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well justin we're gonna have to wrap things up for now. But you did mention Gphist, and we want to have you back on the show soon for a deep a dive into some of these other concepts. But could you tell our listeners a little bit about Gfest and what you're going to be doing there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Gfest is going to be the weekend of July twelfth to the fourteenth. It's in Chicago. If you if you go online and you google g Fest, you can find all of the information as far as the actual hotel that they're they're having it at this year. In fact, I could probably tell you that myself, but you know, I think it's at the Hyatt Regency o Hair is what I'm seeing, so I know they've they've moved it recently, so definitely double check the website. But it is a long running it's been going on since the nineties. Convention for fans of the Godzilla franchise, fans of Kaiju in general. So King Kong Gamera mathra all of that kind of stuff. You get guests come in from japan actors, suit actors, directors, special effects people who have worked on the film, and then you also get panels that are done by various scholars or authorities on these films and.
Speaker 5: Their their history, you know.
Speaker 3: So you know, as I already mentioned, I'm going to be there delivering a talk on Japanese cryptozoology and how it's shown up and influenced Japanese popular culture, so not just the Godzilla series, but other things as well, and I already mentioned like this year also one of the guests is going to be Jeffrey Angeles, who will be talking about the process of translating those books. And if you go online you can get a complete, I think listing of all the different panels. There's going to be, you know, some great stuff from some really knowledgeable and reputable people there. You know, I definitely should give a shout out to friends and colleagues like Kevin Darren and Kyle bird Like. Look for their names, look for their panels. Those are two guys who really know this material forward and backwards, and they always do really really interesting presentations at Gfest on it.
Speaker 1: So great.
Speaker 2: I won't be able to get this out quite in time for the regular feed, but I'll try to get this out in time so that least our patrons will have a chance to pick up on this. I'm just I don't think the timing will work based on the release schedule, but that's something we tried. This is really really good though. I really really appreciate you coming on to talk with us about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we obviously need to have you back and have a deeper dive where we can set aside a little longer. I want to point listeners to two things you mentioned Eddie and Richard and they do a podcast called The Impossible Archive, which I'll put a link to in the show notes.
Speaker 4: She should check that out.
Speaker 2: And also, you recently did an episode of The Lost Valley with friend of the show Key and Gil and talking about specifically uh Skull Island and you talk about cryptozoology and the monster verse there, and that was really a great conversation as well.
Speaker 4: So I'll put links to that in the show notes too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, the Yeah, we don't have we don't have time to go into it. But that's been another really interesting thing is that these recent American Godzilla movies, you know, have been have kind of been dancing around the subject of cryptozoology for a while. And then if anybody saw the Apple TV series that tied into these movies, Monarch Legacy of Monsters, they finally used the word.
Speaker 5: They sure did.
Speaker 1: They dropped the C word, right, It's just good.
Speaker 4: We loved it. Yeah, yeah, that's right. I remember the other one now, I'll bet you're vintion it. But anyway, that was a hoot. I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: But again, justin thank you so much for coming to talk with us and for this work that you're doing, because you're practically making this stuff respectable and I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: But thank you, Thank you so much, Blake for the compliments regarding the accessibility of the paper. That's something I really strive for in my academic writing.
Speaker 4: So awesome.
Speaker 5: Monster.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. You just heard an interview with doctor Justin Mullis about the connection between cryptozoology and Kaiju films in Japan. Do please check the show notes for links to some other interesting interviews. Justin's done with shows whose mission overlaps our own, especially if you're interested in a deep dive on King Kong and Skull Island. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forwarde slash support. That's Monster Talk forward slash support. We have links there to our Patreon page, as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kindles so we can share our digital libraries with each other. And finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys. You could be doing anything with your ears, but you're listening to me, and golly, that makes me happy.
Speaker 4: This has been a Monster House presentation