Speaker 1: Minnesota. Goodbye for May thirteenth, twenty twenty five. Here's our first email, diving right into attacking art. Let's attack art because we need to attack art. Here we go. I heard the caller message about the unusual sculpture project in class. Back in December. I had a sculpture class and a girl's project was literally newspapers pinned to the wall, no other effort involved. The project was called impermanence, or the project idea was called in permanence. People went ape shit for her project. I thought man could use more effort. A few tidbits about sculpture. It has to be conceptual to be classified as sculpture. Almost all projects are named untitled, and sculpture can either be parts put together or taken away to make a project. I honestly thought you literally sculpted sculpture, as the name implies. We talked about this. It comes up maybe once every sek months or so about how people would go to a sculpture class and somebody would come in with a shoe with a not tied in it, and they'd be like, Yeah, that's my sculpture, and you could not argue that it was not art. Because I mean I would, because that's just the way I think. But somebody would say, oh, well you've got a reaction out of it, it's art. So but the thing is, I think you can put in minimal effort. I could wad up a piece of paper and dip it in caramel sauce and then call it untitled. Oh what does that mean? That means I call it, in well me inedible. I call it inedible exactly.
Speaker 2: It's making me I think something, and if I hate it, it's making me feel something.
Speaker 3: And if your intention is for it to be art, then it's art.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Like art doesn't have to be good, you know, like it doesn't have to have effort into it, so like, yeah, obviously good art. Like for me, it's like a beautiful painting that I can think like, wow, that took a long time, that took a lot of effort. Then I'll be like that's the kind of art I like, versus your caramel dipped piece of paper bought it up.
Speaker 3: I'll be like, this is crap. And then I'll just walk along and.
Speaker 1: An uncle art, Yeah, uncle art was it was. He was very old when I met him, and he pulled out a giant diamond and it was an uncut diamond. I don't know where he got it, but it was a little smaller than a ping pong ball, maybe a little smaller than that, but it was it was diamond. Definitely a crystal. It was a diamond. And I remember him showing it to me when I was like five or six or seven, and he's like, yep, that's a diamond, and I'm like, shit, that's cool.
Speaker 3: Whoa.
Speaker 1: He was riding on a greyhound bus, fell asleep and somebody stole his bag. So somebody stole this diamond that he carried around with him. Uncle Art, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was carrying that around with you too.
Speaker 1: He also gave me and my brother silk scarves. Now my brother was probably ten and I was five, and so he gave us silk scarves, silk, very nice, and he's like, look at these, these are for you and your brother. And he was maybe a little fishy. I don't know where he got them because he didn't have any money.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And my mom said, I'm not giving him to the boys. I'm going to keep them. And she kept him in her dress or drawer, and we all forgot about them, all forgot about these silk scarves, and when she died, we're going through things, it's like, oh my god, there's these beautiful white silk scarves. And I truly, to this day, I don't know what happened to him.
Speaker 2: Your uncle Art sounds like he's one of those Safari guys who's like goes to Africa and then comes back with some kind of like, you know, ancient gem or a silk scarf.
Speaker 1: Right tusk?
Speaker 5: Yes, I got a giraffe, Yeah, exactly from the Maharasha.
Speaker 1: Uncle Art rip. You know what, you were quite a character in the very few brief moments that I knew you.
Speaker 5: I honestly thought you were setting us up for a bit there as you started talking about Uncle Art.
Speaker 4: So I was waiting for a punchline at yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want a bit? Do you want me to set you up?
Speaker 4: I mean, I love it, I love it, but now we know it's a bit.
Speaker 1: Well, let me see if I can find one for you. Okay, you know my gonna tell you guys, my life has not been the same since my accident.
Speaker 4: What accident, the one.
Speaker 1: Where I got my finger stuck in that wedding ring. Okay, I may have another one, maybe not all right, Nope, I'm done.
Speaker 5: Okay, next one, the calendar I gave you that you never even entertain anymore?
Speaker 4: Did you throw it away?
Speaker 1: I did. I threw it away. I thought if I threw it away would make a good bit, because I never read the jokes off your calendar because they're so bad. So I thought if I threw your calendar away, it would make a good bit. Jenny's face right now is as she just saw a ghost. I threw it away, shrew it away for the bit good money on that.
Speaker 4: But that's okay, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 4: No, Wow, I am shook because you're a very.
Speaker 5: You're a very You're you like gifts, but not like you need to receive gifts. You like thought behind gifts. I do, yes, So that's just why I'm like a little shocked.
Speaker 1: But well, if you notice look over here. Yeah, what else did I throw away?
Speaker 4: Nothing? It looks no fucking cluster fox.
Speaker 1: No, I true. Remember the rock, the rock that I bought for forty dollars that's supposed to give off like positive energy. I threw it away, yeah, because it was causing clutter. And there was a couple of other little things over here, like something we never played with, or the fart spray. Oh remember the bottle of fart spray? Yeah, because do you see it over there anymore?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't even know there was so much stuff over there.
Speaker 5: I don't even know when things are gone because there's still a bunch of random shit over there.
Speaker 1: That book that's called Life Hacks, that's Fallon and Colts. That's their book. Because I've said, oh, can I read this on the air, and she said, no, we read that on our show, So that is theirs. I have a pepper shaker, I have two magic tricks. I have a bag of salt, and I have a bunch of games and a couple of remote microphones.
Speaker 5: And you did hear him correctly? It is a bag of salt because he was out of salt. So for his birthday last year, we got them some different things, but one of them included me putting a bunch of salt in a bag.
Speaker 4: Here you go.
Speaker 5: I wasn't going to go out and get you a new salt chamber. I was salt a home here out there in the bay.
Speaker 3: And it's still there.
Speaker 1: Okay, we here we have a ranger Jessica with today's did you know Fact? Now, let me see if I can push all the right buttons and make this play correctly, and uh and play what is that plane?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: It's a website playing in the background. Hold on, I like it. That was great when we closed that down, and then I should be able to play Ranger Jessica and her did you know Fact of the Day?
Speaker 6: All right, Ranger Jessica, yere back again for your second edition Did you Know of the Day? And this one's gonna be way shorter since last week we were talking about quintessential Minnesota things and someone mentioned the Mississippi River. I thought, let's talk about the Misissippi River a little bit. The Mississippi River is the second longest river in the US. The Missouri is just a little bit longer, and the length of Mississippi changes depending on how you measure it and who you ask. Uh. Saint Anthony falls over in Minneapolis is the only natural waterfall on the entirety of the Mississippi River, which is pretty cool. And also there's a national park here right in the Twin Cities in Minneapoli, Saint Paul called the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area, and it celebrates all things Mississippi River. So if you haven't been there, go check it out. For just go get out on the Mississippi River rain rot.
Speaker 1: I like that ranger, Jessica, thank you. I know that there's Saint Anthony Falls. It's that odd kind of a U shaped falls right by the stone arch bridge.
Speaker 2: I know a lot about it because I used to work at Mill City Museum, and so the reason it looks like that is because they had to use the water for water power and to drop in the falls, so that's where the V shape was like it pushed the water to either sides of the bank so that the mills could use it. Oh.
Speaker 1: Interesting, now here's something else. I know that it is concrete reinforced, so in other words, it cannot erode. Yes, because it's on very soft stone. And I guess centuries or millennia ago the falls was down by Fort Snelling. Yes, did you know this too?
Speaker 5: That yet?
Speaker 1: But over the millennia the falls is eroded and worked its way backward up the river.
Speaker 2: Yes, it has sandstone underneath and limestone on top, so the sandstone would he rode away and then the limestone would break off, so it traveled upstream to where it is now, and then when they started using it for power, they were like, oh crap, this is going to keep eroding away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they put it's called an apron over top. No shit, it.
Speaker 2: Looks like a dam, but it's not a dam. It's an apron and the apron has made up.
Speaker 1: God yours that I'm impressed and disgusted with you at the same time. That's really amazing that you knew that, because I really thought that it was very uncommon knowledge that anyone knew that. I've never been to the headwaters up by Itasca, and I'd like to take a camping trip or a motorcycle ride up to Itasca to see, and I've heard it's not anything spectacular. It's like you can walk across the Mississippi because it's like, you know, four which is deep at that point as it flows out of Lake Itasca.
Speaker 3: For the novelty, why not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I went to Itasca State Park like a year, maybe last summer, but there was like a really fun waterfall there that usually was just like a trickle sometimes, and we had so much rain last summer that it was like a booming waterfall. So I think This is different than what you were talking about, but I really liked it.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to speak of the Missouri River. One thing that I always wanted to do and I always planned on when I had a boy. One day, we were going to canoe down the Missouri River from Fort Benton into Fort Peck Lake because my grandparents pioneered or what's the word homesteaded on land around there, and I thought that'd be really cool.
Speaker 3: Grandparents Lewis and Clark.
Speaker 1: No that would be explored. They were homesteaders and it's untouched. It's all preserved, so it looks exactly like it did when Lewis and Clark went through there. And I've always wanted to do that, and we never That's one of the regrets my life is that we never ever made time to take that Carson and Dad canoe trip down the Missouri River. And we had it, you know, we were going to do it alone, and then we just didn't have time to get experts enough in it to do it. So we hired an outfitter to take us down and we had to cancel it because he had boy scout camp and he had this and that, and we just couldn't do it. Som' still something I want to do with Carson. But I don't think that he is a camping, outdoorsy kind of a guy.
Speaker 3: Not anymore. I don't think he used to be right.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a question. Can I tell you the truth? I think he hated Boy Scouts.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 1: I think he hated once his friends were out of Boy Scouts and he didn't have buddies to hang out with and be obnoxious and make fart jokes and poop jokes and booger jokes. At camp, he was kind of hanging out with the younger kids, and he didn't like it anymore. Yeah, And I think that one day I want to ask Carson is like, I know you love Boy Scouts when you first started, but did you just hate it? Because I don't think he's quite ready to be honest with me yet, but I do want to know whether he'd liked it or not. He was a great experience and there's some great adventures he would have had. But I think it's important if your kid, daughter, son joined Scouts that they've got a friend that's in with them, or they want.
Speaker 3: To know it worth it?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, continuing on, let me see if I can click the right button here. All right, here we go, Melissa Wright saying, hello, things, I love all of you. Things I don't love three hours waiting online at the government service center to get my kid's birth certificate. But alas it's given me a minute, one hundred and eighty minutes to be exact, to finally send an email to the show. A few months ago, Bailey mentioned that she had a sibling who was still born. I'm wondering how and when her parents told her about her sibling and how her family did or didn't navigate that sibling's memory into the family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I can't remember when I was told because I think we were just always told that we had a brother and his name was Zakias, and I think they were going to name him Alexander, but once they found out he was still born, they like chose, you know, name from the Bible.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that's why his name is Zacius. And his birthday is in December.
Speaker 2: So we always like commemorated it, just like, I don't know, we didn't like do anything for it.
Speaker 3: My mom would just tell us about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we.
Speaker 2: Always just knew about it, and now like every December on the day, we try and like reach out to my mom and say something, ah, but that's really it. We don't like do anything super fancy because he was before my sister, and my sister's older than me, so like we wouldn't have been we weren't in.
Speaker 1: The mix yet, I see.
Speaker 2: But yeah, my mom still gets sad about it, which makes sense so rightfully.
Speaker 1: So you know, it was kind of a secret in Susan's family. Susan ed is still born older sister, and I think this sister would have been She's had two older brothers and this sister would have been the oldest. And back then, I guess she didn't really talk about it, and this would have been back in the I don't know, the fifties or sixties, which born and Susan doesn't know anything about her. They apparently back then you did not take a photo, which is very common now when if you have a stillborn baby, you take a photo. Yeah that's your baby, Yeah, of course. And so Susan's not sad about it because she doesn't know. But I think about how different life would be for Susan if she had an older sister and how wonderful that would have been for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think about mine old. I mean if I had an older brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mom.
Speaker 2: Every year that whatever age he would have been, she would give a toy to Toys for Tots for a kid at that age.
Speaker 1: That is so touching. Seriously, that is something that we don't really talk about that often. Next one, I'm asking because our first child, oh, same thing. Our first child was still born. He would have been five years old this month. We've since had two more kids. They're very young, but I'm trying to find ways to talk to him about their brother, to continue to remember our first child and keep some sort of traditions for him and our family. Thanks, I realized it's not a super happy topic. Have a great day, Melissa aka Juice because that's what my dad wanted to name me, Huice.
Speaker 2: I definitely recommend the Toys for Tots thing because we would go shopping for a Toys for Tot's gift for Zach. So we'd be like, Okay, what would Zach like.
Speaker 3: He would have been.
Speaker 2: Turning fifteen this year, so I remember us getting like, you know, an iPod or something like not an iPod, you know, the cheap version of an iPod to give to toys for tots.
Speaker 1: That is kind, that's very sweet. I'm glad that came up, because that is something that I think a lot of people just don't address very much. Hello, Favorites. A couple of questions for you, mostly Dave. I guess, Dave, when you go to Colorado, do you rent a car every time or do you store your car somewhere nearby? I've done both, but I rent a car now and it is not cheap. It's really ridiculous because Colorado is such a touristy state that they rent cars for about six hundred dollars for five days. Who it is nuts. So to avoid that, I did keep a car parked there at the Denver Airport, and so you would ride your sh to the parking lot about five minute right away, and then you would get your car in a giant sea of cars, and you could pay for covered parking, you could pay for heated parking. I paid for uncovered parking. My car was always covered with bird shit by the time I got there. And then finally that car broke down and we had to you know, trade it in, and we certainly were not going to keep a new work car there, so I just rent now. Interesting question a thought on doodles because we were talking about you know, doodles are such great dogs, et cetera. And Josie was a labordoodle and she was the best dog, no question, that I've ever had.
Speaker 4: And you also want a snoodle.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about getting a shnoodle. Yeah, Schnauzer poodle, Dave, Your sweet Josie was probably near the beginning of the doodle craze given her age she was sixteen. Now that doodles are so popular, their breeding is gone down. Allergies are very common with other health issues too. There's a reason most professional vets say avoid doodles. I'll bet you avoided a lot of that. Considering you got Josie sixteen years ago. That totally makes sense. She was healthy and active and she was just the best. Just something to consider. Might be worth reaching out to a vet professional to see if there are healthier breeds. I'm a dog mom of two rescues, but my dad bred labs for many years and had to do rigorous testing to confirm both parents were healthy. Hope this helps from Nanda, Yeah, thank you. But then the next email says, I love our shnoodle. Her name was Mitsubishi. We called her Mitzi. She was so loving to I don't see the problem. Get one if you want one, She listened, never had bathroom issues and lived a long time from Naomi.
Speaker 4: Do you want a dog that's gonna go on like hakes with you?
Speaker 1: And yeah I do.
Speaker 5: I don't know if schnoodles it, then you might be right. Yeah, yeah, I feel like walks. Yeah, but I don't know about hiking. But I say that, And I have a friend who lives in Colorado and he has a Corgie, and that little Corey loves a good hike, a.
Speaker 4: Nice fourteen er.
Speaker 5: That thing just climbs up the mountain faster like three times the speed of us.
Speaker 1: That's you know what. There are certain dogs that I don't find cute, and somebody's gonna get mad. I don't find Corky's cute. I don't find pugs cute. I would never get a Corky or a pug because I want to look at that dog and go, oh, I'm so cute. Josie was cute. She would wop walk and I would stand behind her, walking behind her and her little ears would flop up and down as she walked. Yeah, and it was just so fucking cute. Yeah, and she just was so happy all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I used to be obsessed with Corky's and then I feel like that kind of became a big popular breed for a little bit. And then I met there is one Corky that I know that kind of really bugged the shit out of me, and it kind of made me think that I don't actually want a Corky, not the one I just mentioned that my friend has in Colorado. Libby is the shit and I love her, but a different one.
Speaker 1: I got one final email, and this person's really well meaning, but she says, I want to send you the sweet dog who's available for adoption to the Golden Valley Humane Society. And he is a pit bull mix and she sends a little picture along with him. And I'm not gonna say the name because I don't want to, like, you know, like you know, give the dog a bad reputation. But they says about three and a half years old, he is a big boy at almost one hundred pounds. He is a very sweet, silly, affectionate, and fun boy. I honestly would never adopt a pit bull mix. I just would never do that.
Speaker 3: Could you say you wanted a smaller dog.
Speaker 1: I do, yeah, just with little girls around the house. Two four and another newborn coming in August or September. I just would never. And you can judge me all day if you want to. I know that some are wonderful, and but I just know that any strong dog, when provoked, can be a dangerous dog. You can take a little miniature Pomeranian and provoke that dog like a four year old or a two year old mike, pulling its tail, grabbing its ears, trying to sit on top of it, and that little Pomeranian, if provoked provoked, can get really angry. I would never, in a millillionaires have a dog around kid. It's kind of like giving a kid a pack of matches and saying, yeah, don't don't do anything bad with these matches. Well, they're kids. Yeah, So if I'm wrong, you and I will just have to disagree on that one. So, but I do love dogs, and I'm looking for like an older dog like three ish, potty trained, not shedding, and adorable.
Speaker 5: Old three isn't old, No, it's not all just like trained you want.
Speaker 1: They don't want to take a senior dog. I would take a seven or ten year old dog. I saw one. It was you see these sad dog videos on Instagram, and it was like a like a Great Dane kind of a dog and his owner got old and had to move to like, you know, assisted living or something. So this dog had been their loyal dog for like eight years. And they're showing this dog at the shelter and you know how dogs will give you those fucking puppy dog eyes, Yeah, where they almost raise their eyebrows or.
Speaker 3: They're like, did you want to come in, Peppy?
Speaker 1: And the dog looks so sad sitting in its cage, and it was like, this dog has been a loyal dog and now it's scared and it doesn't know what to do, and because they can't be with their beloved owner anymore, so then they adopt it. And then they show this fucking happy Great Dane dog frawl licking in the park and it was just so heartwarming. It was like that's what dogs love to do. They love to frolic and be happy. So do we Yep, we're gonna go do that. Now we're go go frawlic and be happy. So we are out of here. Have a great day. Thank you sincerely for listening to the Minnesota Goodbye. Tell a friend about the Minnesota Goodbye. It's like, you know what, you listen to War of the Roses. You should hear the Minnesota Goodbye because there's some cool stuff on there. And then send an email in because we always love fresh emails. Whatever you want to talk about, and I will say, Katie, thank you for sharing the story about the dog that is up for adoption and I hope they find a home for that dog soon. Send your emails to Ryan's show at KDWBT dot com.