Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, very creature party part.
Speaker 1: In Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 4: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: Monster Talk.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 6: Karen and Matt took a break from all the madness of twenty twenty five and went to the little town of Victor, Colorado to relax, unwind, and investigate the alleged haunting of the town's Venerable Hotel, where joined today by Matt Baxter to talk about.
Speaker 4: What they found and content. Warning.
Speaker 6: It apparently includes delicious cafe snacks. Now that's probably not a thing most of you need to be worried about. But I'm trying to lose some weight and just looking at the photo Matt provided, maybe gain five pounds. So you've been warned more Instantal, Okay, wow, twenty five it's been kind of a rough year, but I'm excited to get together one more time.
Speaker 4: I mean it is every week, right, but I mean.
Speaker 7: It's like it's a good part of the week, you know, And it's always good to get together with friends and talk about ghosts exactly.
Speaker 6: And I'm excited that Matthew's got another case to talk to us about today.
Speaker 4: You guys worked on this one together. It looks like and I am very very learned about this.
Speaker 6: I love haunted hotels, and this looks like another one, and so well, maybe not long I thought, wait, are you suggest what?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Why did you just have to hear more surprise?
Speaker 3: Welcome back Matt and Karen, Thank.
Speaker 7: You, thank you, thank you. And I was ignorant of this place too until Matt illuminated me about this place. And so we wanted to just get away, get out of Dodge for a day or two, and so Matt suggested Victor, Colorado, and I'm like, where the hell is that. I hadn't heard of it. There's a little town that's nearby that is larger and known for its casinos called.
Speaker 1: Cripple Creek, and so I'd.
Speaker 7: Heard of that, but I hadn't heard of a Victor. It's just this little rural town about two hours south of Denver, and it's a How did you find out about it? Matt?
Speaker 3: Well, I had had, you know, family that had gone to Cripple Creek and Victor to you know, go gambling and seeing things like that. And I had heard about the legends of Victor and Cripple Creek. But the cool thing about Victor to me is that it is just a living ghost town. It is. It is remarkable at the size of it and everything. And then you know, I was able, you know, there's people there, but I was able to walk out in the middle of the street and take pictures for it as long as I wanted, and I did not get run died over.
Speaker 7: So it's this little old mining town, right, and so it was known as the city of Gold Mines, and it was the site of the eighteen nineties gold rush in Colorado. And so one of the reasons we went there is that the whole town of Victor is said to be haunted, but especially a particular building there called the Victor Hotel. So we decided to check it out. And this little hotel was built in eighteen eighty four by founders of the city, the Woods Brothers, the three Woods brothers, but the place actually burnt down in a massive fire that just took out the whole town in August eighteen ninety nine, but they started to rebuild a hotel that year, finished in nineteen hundred, and the new hotel stands opposite the site.
Speaker 1: Of the predecessors.
Speaker 7: So all the original houses were built from wood, and so they instead started to build places with brick or metal as well, and.
Speaker 3: That town ordinance that they had to they could no longer build with wood. And because the pine just went up, the entire town just was decimated in just a few hours, the entire count.
Speaker 4: The three mayors, the little pig mayors.
Speaker 1: Huffed and they puffed.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean, there is just so much history surrounding this place. The hotel is listed on the National.
Speaker 1: Register of Historic Places.
Speaker 7: There is an elevator in this building, which really comes into a lot of the folklore and the history. It's said to be the oldest operating one in Colorado, and it appears as it was built around nineteen hundred and Matt came across a bunch of articles about this in the local newspaper, and we'll get into that a bit more soon. It seems like it may not be the oldest operating anymore, but we'll get into that. But suffice to say, the Victor Hotel is just said to be affected by or afflicted by the usual haunted phenomena. Their stories of ghostly footsteps and ghostly smells, people smelling perfume and cigarette smoke, lots of cold spots in there, and flickering lights, and even.
Speaker 4: Apparitions sounds like Vegas.
Speaker 7: Or any city I guess in America or around the world. But we thought there's no point in really tackling all of these stories. I mean, how can you really dispute cold spots, how can you dispute stigar smoke and things like that. So we thought, let's focus on some of the specific claims that we can actually investigate. So we thought Matt could go into a bit of some of the legends and then I'll tell a specific story that's assigned or aligned to the place.
Speaker 4: Neat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So now what is now known as the Victor Hotel across the street is where the original Victor Hotel was before it burned down. When they built this building, just within the matter of a matter of weeks, this building started getting built and it was not the Victor Hotel. This was the Victor Bank Block, and the first floor was a bank and then there were some you know, accommodations, you know, a little bit further above that, but it was not known as the Victor Hotel at this time. Now, the interesting thing about it is there was a hospital that had opened on the top floor and during really really cold winters, when the ground because it is the the cemetery, there is the highest elevation cemetery in the country from what we understand, and in the winter times the ground would get so hard they couldn't dig graves. So that fourth floor became a makeshift morgue and the bodies that went up and down in that elevator continue to haunt the hotel to this day. And so I don't know what sounds we'd go along with a dead body.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: That's that's you know, there's a lot of e vps and everything, and they go along with that. So it's absolutely terrifying when you think about that. But there's a there was a bigger legend, the one that really intrigued Karen.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you look up the Victor Hotel anything to do with the hauntings, you will come across the story of Eddie. And so the hotel is said to be haunted by I think a young child and a number of other people, as Matters said, but specifically you'll hear about Eddie. So as the story goes, he was a miner, because this is a gold mining town and Matt.
Speaker 1: Always likes to joke about that. Not underage, he was a gold miner.
Speaker 3: And he was over twenty one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and so he lived in the hotel. So when it was a boarding house, he lived in room three hundred and one on the third floor. Now the hotel website itself tells us this, so he's a quote from the site. The most prevalent ghost is that of a man named Eddie, who allegedly fell down the elevator shaft years ago, staying in room three hundred and one at the time of his death. Eddie has often.
Speaker 1: Been seen in the room, in the.
Speaker 7: Hallways, and in the elevator. Guests who stay in Room three hundred and one also report hearing footsteps and other strange sounds that cannot be explained though the elevator.
Speaker 1: Yeh, yeah, yeah, always so.
Speaker 7: Though the elevator is regularly inspected and maintained, it often tends to activate itself going up and down the shaft when no one is near, always stopping on the third floor. The elevator's ghostly activity usually occurs around three So yeah, we've encountered a lot of that of the years, haven't we. The stories of go to the activity at three am or somehow involving the number three, the whole trinity association. So we're seeing that at play here again.
Speaker 1: So how did Eddie die?
Speaker 7: What happened here? Why is he haunting this building? So again, as the story goes, one morning he rose for work and he went to the elevator. He pushed the button, waiting for the elevator, and then when the iron gates opened up, he stepped inside. But the elevator wasn't there. Doctor Remorey record to first floor emergency stat Yes.
Speaker 4: That's me. Anyone else need to go on the elevator?
Speaker 1: He only said you, Oh okay, Ray, did they just come off doing.
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 7: So Eddie steps inside and he falls to his death in the shaft. So he's a victim of the elevator's malfunction. And so you hear all the same stories about Eddie being seen in his room, in the hallways, in the elevator, the stories of the elevator activating itself even when no one is nearby. AH, and people hearing disembodied voices and knockings, strange sounds, particularly in Eddie's room, ghostly footsteps.
Speaker 1: The whole shebang.
Speaker 7: So what intrigued me was that I kept reading this story retold the same way again and again. But then I came across another version of.
Speaker 1: The story, so just slightly different.
Speaker 7: This version says that Eddie was a drunkard and late one night he was heavily intoxicated, and he went out to the elevator, pressed the button, the cage opened. He stepped out before the elevator had arrived and fell.
Speaker 1: To his death.
Speaker 7: So it was like, hm, you know, when we hear these light differences in stories are usually indicative of urban legends. So I thought, Okay, my curiosity here is peaud. I think that there's something else going on. So we looked into this and then we did our trip. But I guess we'll talk a little bit about our trip to Victor and what we found, and then I guess the truth behind all of the folklore.
Speaker 8: And you're saying that the town basically burn to the ground, but they rebuilt it slowly, and so everything there is roughly dating from nineteen hundred at this point exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yes, and actually they built it really quickly. It was i mean the amount of money, yeah, the amount of money in this town was ridiculous. Yeah, both Victor and Cripple Creek, uh basically bailed America out of the eighteen nineties depression. It was just remarkable the amount of money and the gold now mine right in between.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's a gold mine right in between the two towns that is still operating today and it is a huge operation. So it's I'm sure there's still quite a bit of gold there, but just the millions upon millions of dollars and we're talking nineteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, there was several millionaires blind mind bobblink. But so the town was this bustling puns.
Speaker 3: When there aren't they aren't even there, I know exactly.
Speaker 7: But so the town once had a population of about eight thousand people whoa now has it about four hundreds. So, as Matt said, it's really true a ghost town. And we turned up. It was basly cold at that time of year, so it was early March, and the hotel it was very interesting it's modernized now. They've got state of the art locks on the place and everything's electronic nowadays, pass.
Speaker 4: Keys and all that kind of stuff. Gotcha, gotcha?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 3: Well, no, it's it's you. You get you get a code and you kind of tap on the door and the screen kind of pops up for you to type in your code.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, yeah, it's it's very cool.
Speaker 8: It's it's uh, but if you've been drinking, how do you get inside your room anyway?
Speaker 3: Sorry, okay, don't take the elevator.
Speaker 1: Well, you can go into any room.
Speaker 7: And that was the strange thing we found that all of the doors to all of the rooms outside of those that had already been were already occupied, were open, wide open.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's peculiar, it was it.
Speaker 3: It comes in handy shortly. Oh I bet yeah, because yeah, there's more to the story now. It was really cool driving into Victor and getting to see this, you know, this such a historical town, and then getting into this building that much of it is very historical. Now. Unfortunately, the elevator was out of service when we were there, so the only floors that you could stay and were basically the second and third floor. So we opted, you know, for the third floor because Eddie, you know, was in room three oh one, and you need the exercise there it is.
Speaker 4: You know, yes, yeah, so you get to take the stairs every time you went up and down.
Speaker 3: So yep, ye wow, which was not not a big deal because you know, it was fine. Yeah. Now it was interesting because I went on a little bit of a looking around sort of the mission and everything, and I'm walking up the stairs and I'm all of a sudden, you know, it's like we're the only ones there. There's just like nobody except well except for the ghost, but I mean not there's no no staff or anything there that the owners of the hotel, nothing, no one there from no front desk, just they text you when it's time for checking. They text you your code and that's it. So you're on your own. So I'm looking around, you know, I'm feeling very free about looking around because there's no one else there. And as I approached the fourth floor where the morgue was, I hear these footsteps and I hear this like breathing and everything. It's just very strange noise and it's coming down the stairs and I'm thinking, oh god, I'm having an experience. I'm having an experience, and you know, two people around the corner and it's this, this woman and this guy, and they both are wearing blankets around their should holders because it's.
Speaker 4: Cold, but seeing to be ghosts, yeah, or.
Speaker 3: They were dressed as ghosts. It could go either way. But they had em F detectors, and so I'm like, oh, yeah, doing some ghost hunting, are we, you know? And the woman looked really sheepish and she's like, it's my birthday. It was a very interesting answer. So they came to the Vicar Hotel on our birthday to hunt for ghosts, and birds.
Speaker 1: Would do that, not like us. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So we we stayed there that night and we counted uh probably about five other people, uh so other than ourselves who were there, and they all seemed to be ghost hunting. We could smell a lot of recreational marijuana.
Speaker 3: Now, I mean from the birthday room. Yes, there was some Colorado recreational marijuana going on. It's perfectly legal people, it's.
Speaker 4: Funny Rocky Mount.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, indeed.
Speaker 7: So we did experience some phenomena or what other people would experience is phenomena. So things like cold spots, right, Matt.
Speaker 3: Oh, huge, The cold spots were amazing. Victor is a cold spot.
Speaker 4: But the problem is.
Speaker 3: They modernized the hotel, but they didn't modernize the hotel. The windows have these gaps that where you can see daylight on the edges of the windows and snow and the wind blowing has this unearthly howl as it comes through your window and freezes you.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The only heat we had was this little electric like radiator. It was cold, a little oil yeah, it was like an oil heater. Yeah, And it was cool because that was the only heat we had. And as the wind was blowing in into our room. Now this part of the story is, you know, I'm treading lightly. They didn't give us much in the way of bedding, so we had like a sheet and we were, you know, worried about whether or not, you know, there were going to be bed bugs or anything. We just didn't know, so that we're going to sleep on top of the sheets and instead of getting underneath them, it just didn't seem, you know, perfectly safe. So we slept on top of them and we had one really thin blanket and we're watching this kind of led thermostat on the wall, which we had no control over, but it would tell us the temperature in our room. And we're watching it drop and drop and drop, and you know it's approaching, you know, the fifties, and it's continuing to drop, and it's like, okay, that's it. I'm going to go find blankets. So dressed as I wasn't, I got out of bed and started rating the other rooms, hoping it.
Speaker 1: Was it was lightly clad, so please don't think he was naked.
Speaker 3: I was not one hundred percent naked. I'll put it that way. I was not presentable, I'll say that. But so I'm going from room to room trying to steal blankets from the other rooms.
Speaker 1: And old rooms open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're all open and everything. So I'm going from room to room and I finally get to Eddie's room, room three oh one. Now Eddie's room was left in the exact same condition as it was when he died. Same TV channel.
Speaker 1: Everything, same coffeemaker, right right, all of us the.
Speaker 3: Same, I assume. I assume.
Speaker 4: Do we know roughly what year Eddie passed?
Speaker 7: No, okay, just eighty died in the hotel.
Speaker 1: He was a border That's all we know. At this point, guys.
Speaker 3: Right now, Now it's it's often assumed that it's it's around nineteen hundred, but there's no hard evidence of when he died. So I go into his room and I get a blanket. And as I'm standing there in his room, I hear footsteps coming upstairs and he's right at the you know, his room's red the top of the stairs. And I'm standing there thinking, please don't come in here, Please don't let three or one be your room.
Speaker 4: See that's nice of you to think that. I would have been thinking, quick, put this sheet over my head.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think it's a ghost.
Speaker 3: It's Eddie, right, except for they were chatting with each other and it was a couple, so I knew it was it was people. And I'm just thinking, Okay, what am I going to say if they come in this room? What am I going to say? My first thought was.
Speaker 4: Boo to come up with some blanket?
Speaker 3: Excuse well my my My next one was I got these blankets for you.
Speaker 7: So because pretended that you couldn't speak English, right, right.
Speaker 3: Just you know, as I'm standing there naked with a blanket in my hands.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 8: It's right, you're going to get a quote complex, right, So yeah, that that was a very strange happening.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I made it back to the room. I got blankets for for for Blade and for for Karen and I and and we made it through the rest of the night, and that was that was wonderful. But we decided that we were going to go and check out the cemetery and and different things. We went off a cripple creek the day before and then check that out, and uh, they have a family dollar, so it's good. It's fine.
Speaker 7: A liquor store with assive people who had stolen bottles.
Speaker 4: You mean they like they used to have like bounce.
Speaker 3: Shot. This person is a thief and ye it has is their picture there on the wall. So we decided to put back the bottles we didn't pay for and because we didn't want to be part of the wall of shame.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, I think it was fun to explore up the place and and clearly other people who were staying there were going ghost hunting, and uh, you know, we had.
Speaker 1: Some fun little experiences here.
Speaker 7: And their blade came across thought he was hearing voices and disembodied voices and came across televisions being on in some of the rooms and the lights flickering and things like that. So we put it down to electricity issues or maybe the previous occupants that left the television on, and it was just debatable that they had many people coming through there really at all, even though though the place is well known and a lot of people go ghost hunting there.
Speaker 6: I mean, if the whole population of the town is now four hundred, just you guys, the ghost owners are like a pretty substantial chunk of the population.
Speaker 4: Over the weekends.
Speaker 3: I guess, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's the real attraction to the town.
Speaker 7: But before I get into the story of Eddie and Matt, do you want to talk a little bit more about the kind of facts behind the folklore of the town and the hotel.
Speaker 3: Well, I can say that there there was a morgue in town. I believe it's called done in company d U.
Speaker 4: N N you wastly done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would think don would have been more appropriate.
Speaker 1: For the funeral. Yeah, but so it's.
Speaker 3: I can find nowhere that the fourth floor was ever a morgue, and also could find nowhere that there was ever a winter where the ground was too hard for them to dig graves, so that was not true at all. Now was interesting to hear. You know. The owners were there the next morning and we dropped in and asked them and they verified everything is true, the Morgue, Eddie and everything else. Now, one of the other interesting things that I did find is that the elevator itself was was very interesting because nineteen hundred there it's in the newspaper. You know, this new fans the elevator that's going to make, you know, things so much easier in this building. They're everyone's so excited, and it'll be ready to go this weekend. And then several months later it's like they've almost got the elevator working. You know, it's it's going to be ready at any time now. And then a few months later the same story. It was from February to August of the following year, there were headlines every few months about how the elevator was almost ready, and I did find that very hilarious. But one of the things is in I believe it was nineteen oh two. In April of nineteen oh two, there was a hospital on the fourth floor, and it was because going to Cripple Creek could prove deadly. You know, if you had to rush someone to the hospital, to have to go to a town that's you know, even five miles away in those days, could have been enough time for them to die. So they they did have a small hospital on the fourth floor. Several months after it opened, one of the doctors, uh had his foot crushed in the elevator and as he was getting his uh uh kind of.
Speaker 4: Oh, what would you.
Speaker 3: Call it the house call bag, you know, ready to go help somebody, and he's you know, not paying too much attention, and he gets his foot stuck in the elevator and it crushed it and he actually had to have his foot amputated. And it's just, you know, such a tragic story because these the two doctors that ran this hotel were really altruistic.
Speaker 6: Oh it's called a Gladstone bag that the big doctors.
Speaker 4: I couldn't remember what they were called.
Speaker 3: Sorry, thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: I just thought, yeah, yeah, I do appreciate you, uh kind of with that. But uh and and just you know a lot of the different things that that has said.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Another thing we did experience though, while we were freezing in the room, we kept hearing uh voices that that sounded disembodied, and it was just like lots of talking and chattering and laughing and just all kinds of different noise with like music in the background. And you know, it wasn't like coming from someone's room. It was It was really an interesting, creepy kind of sound until you realize that the building, uh was right next to an operating bar.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there it.
Speaker 1: Travels blaring and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's quite well.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I think that accounts for that accounts for some of the claims of you know, people hearing disembodied voices and and music. But so before we even got to go to Victor, we solved the case of Eddie. And I think we've just been talking about the trip and Matt had to go and get the laundry or something before bed and.
Speaker 4: I had five you saw the case of Eddie.
Speaker 3: I was getting laundry.
Speaker 7: Well, I had five minutes up my sleeve, and normally these kinds of things don't go this smoothly or this quickly.
Speaker 1: But I was just really suspicious about those variations of the Eddie story.
Speaker 7: And I thought, you know, I'm going to look up Eddie in the annals of the local cemetery. So I found Victor's closest cemetery, Sunnyside Cemetery, and I was using Finder Grave, and I looked up Eddie. There weren't any Eddies, but there were fourteen different Edwards who were interred in that cemetery, and I went through them all and looked at the dates of death, and there was one that really stuck out like a sore thumb, that seemed to fit in with the story, and that was a gentleman by the name of Edward Mattler. And so he was born in eighteen seventy three and he died in nineteen hundred. And it wasn't a picture of his grave or anything like that, but there were a couple of newspaper articles that were listed there were added by someone by the name of Jay Beckham, and so it was you know, I don't know if you know much about Find a Grave, but you can subscribe and you can set up a profile and leave flowers for people and poems and all kinds of things. So there's a bit of a community around it.
Speaker 8: And some of the content is generated by other users. I mean, it's very collaborative. I like that a lot.
Speaker 7: Yes everything, and that's the case with this Jay Beckham, and so his motto was making sure no one is forgotten.
Speaker 1: So I was really touched by that.
Speaker 7: It included a couple of newspaper articles that told the story of this Edward Mattler, and it's a really tragic story about a young Timberman who died in an accident at a nearby mine called Minie Haha. There are actually quite a few Mini Haha mines around America and even a few in Australia too, so it's a strange name. But it's near Elkton, Colorado, so it's in the Cripple Creek area, and it's about maybe ten miles away northwest of Victor, which was one of the largest mines in the area. So Edward had lived in a nearby town called Ana Condor. He had not lived in the Victor Hotel, so he wasn't living in one of the boarding rooms there.
Speaker 1: So it just became.
Speaker 7: Abundantly clear that the Victor Hotel isn't haunted by Eddie.
Speaker 1: He didn't live there, he didn't die there.
Speaker 7: That the story has become conflated with this true tragedy and the history of.
Speaker 1: The Victor Hotel and the town.
Speaker 7: So, Matt, do you want to do us a favor and read one or two of these little articles from the local newspapers that tell the story of Edward the real.
Speaker 3: Aig, Sure, sure, sure. Here's one very.
Speaker 2: Sensitively titled Down the Shaft Edward Butler meets death by plunging down minie Haha shaft. While employed in timbering the shaft on the Minnehaha mine near Elkton last night, Edward Butler lost his footing and fell to the bottom a distance of seventy five feet, breaking his neck and meeting instant death. Matler was stepping from one timber to another, and the rubber boots which he wore caused him to slip and he plunged to the bottom. The remains were raised to the surface and brought to this city and taken to the undertaking establishment of TF. Dunn and Company, where they await burial. Matler was twenty seven years of age and a residence of anacon. That's from the Victor Times.
Speaker 1: And Blake, you helped us with this too. You helped us to find a free.
Speaker 7: Access to the Victor Times, and we found articles in the Rocky Mountain News that were around that time as well.
Speaker 4: Hand, I didn't ask what it was all about.
Speaker 1: It just.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So we found several iterations of the story. But he was just a young guy and involved in that accident. So there are even some links to the folklore that had happened at eight o'clock at night. One version says that it happened at eight o'clock, whereas some of the folklore says that he was drunk and stepped out at eight o'clock, presumably to go to the bar nearby. But we were just really touch to hear about the story of this young guy. He had a brother in the area, it didn't seem like he was married, that he had children, so he hadn't lived much of his life. And I mean, this was incredibly dangerous work working in the mining industry. And we've read some history of the town too, and a lot of the unions that were formed and people who were paid a pittance When there are people making millions at that time. These men were being paid just a couple of dollars a day and working very long hours, ten hours a day, very dangerous work, and so these accidents were really common so Eddie did exist, but he didn't exist in exactly the way that the folklore is told. So we really wanted to honor him because he truly did exist and died in such a horrible way, and yet he's just been swept up into this folklore. So we wanted to visit the cemetery and to take a picture of his headstone and to supply that.
Speaker 1: To find a grave.
Speaker 7: But we scoured the grounds, we could not find his grave, so it was the three of us running around. It was frigidly cold, and we're wearing scarves wrapped around our faces and it was just freezing. We couldn't find him anywhere. It's quite a sprawling cemetery too, and as we were leaving we saw there was a potter's field, so in Australia we'd call that a pauper's grave.
Speaker 1: And I contacted the.
Speaker 7: Cemetery's project manager to see if we could find out more about Edward and where he's buried, but she hasn't applied yet, so I guess we can update that information if it comes through. But I came across some interesting articles saying that there are about three hundred people that are buried in Potter's Field there and they only discovered that there were that many people buried there in the nineties, in the sorry nineteen nineties, and.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so.
Speaker 3: They are ongoing ground radar and.
Speaker 1: Yet something like that.
Speaker 7: But they're still trying to find out the names of people who were interred there in cemetery. So we don't know exactly where he is, but hopefully we'll find out more. And again it's one of these cases where the history is just so much more interesting and colorful than the folklore. And it's surprising too to find out often the names associated with ghost law these people didn't exist. And so this was an interesting case where there truly was an Edward and he suffered such a horrible death, and that his story was transported to the Victor Hotel. And there are kind of shades, i think with the accidents that happened in the elevator. You can see how the folklore was conflated with the history. You can see it kind of forming over the decades. But we were just really touched that they Saidward did exist, just a young guy died so horribly and yet now he's just been woven into the folklore of this amazing in hotel.
Speaker 4: Well, Matt, thank you for putting these photos into the show. Notes.
Speaker 6: This is these are really cool. This is like a really fun place to visit. And I know it was really cool, but golly, the cemetery looks really beautiful. I like the way the mind sign, the sign, the sign at the cemetery has the mining elements iconography built into it.
Speaker 4: That's just really it's really it's really cool looking. I don't know how to put it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And it's just so touching to see the potters Field and people have been trying to lay crosses there just to remember that the people that were buried there, and just a lot of poor people, a lot of people of color, a lot of people passing through the town, and those just didn't have family. So it's just really exciting to think that they're going to slowly find out exactly who's there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's just so interesting to find out the truth.
Speaker 7: And that well that there's no way that the owners or any one traversing through the place could possibly experience Eddie in room three.
Speaker 1: Hundred and one and in the elevator.
Speaker 7: And as Matt said, they it was never a morgue, so not getting bodies transported, well living bodies anyway, transported up and down the elevator.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was just just a really fun story.
Speaker 7: We love the history of this place and it's yeah, we love folklore too, But it was I think were gratifying to be able to solve this than to just hear the creepy stories and pay a.
Speaker 3: Little tribute to the actual man behind, you know, the myth. Yeah, I think it's it's important that some of these people got you know, treated better, I guess and death. That was the thing about Victor is when all this was going on, Cripple Creek was where all the owners and all the people with all the money state, and then Victor was more of the the mind workers and the Victor Record, the newspaper, the Victor Times, the Victor Record, uh record. Yeah, but they also had one called the Victory Record, which exactly right, exactly, and that can easily be confused. Uh. The thing is is that there were so many murders and suicides on a daily basis readings. I went through fifteen years of these newspapers to make sure that Eddie wasn't real, you know, that that this didn't actually happen. I went to another right to make sure there way wasn't someone else or and it wasn't. Nobody passed away in this hotel that that I can find. But there were murders and suicides almost on a daily basis in this town, and U it's it's amazing to see that they think that this one building where it seems like lives were saved in the in the hospital upstairs, but virtually nobody died. But this somehow is the most haunted building in the town. It's bizarre.
Speaker 1: It really is haunted by a foot, right, well, I.
Speaker 3: Mean an amputated foot at an appendix, but I.
Speaker 4: Mean from the folklore side of things.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's elements of this that remind me of the Lord Dufferin story.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I think I told you guys. Here in my hometown. Actually it's in Marietta. There's a house called the Kennesaw House, which is yes, I live in Kennesaw, but Marietta has the Kinnesau House. And there was a whole story about there being a Civil War era hospital in the basement and like someone went down there and saw like a like time slipped into the operating room and then go to go check, and there is no basement at all, so the elevator is certainly can't go down to their maybe metaphorically you're going somewhere.
Speaker 4: Else, but anyway, you can't.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of these elements that sound very much like tropes or motifs from folklore, you know, but absolutely you know, laying it down to like you know, checking the veracity.
Speaker 4: This is cool.
Speaker 6: I mean you found more without an EMF detector, you know, so nicely done.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't a birthdays.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but yeah, it's difficult, too difficult to think about elevators and not think of Lord Dufference. So certainly he was on my mind as we checked out the elevator.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, absolutely me too, And I included in the show notes an old the railroad going through There were several different ones that were all competing, and now you have lots of coaches that are just sitting. Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I said, I.
Speaker 3: Threw that that coach in there for you to it.
Speaker 6: Was like somewhere a gunfight is going to happen, you know, like I mean like cowboys shooting each other, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Yeah, So you know, despite.
Speaker 7: Being able to bust the claims the ghost legends of the hotel. I think it's truly worth a visit, so anyone who's local or anyone who's passing through should definitely, uh stay there and check it out.
Speaker 1: It was really fun.
Speaker 7: We just hung out in the lobby area and had had a couple of drinks and just did some work there, and it's so atmospheric. It was really nice trip away and ghosts or no ghosts. We enjoyed it. And it's nice to to preserve, help preserve the place and the history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is it. How far away is this from Denver?
Speaker 3: It was really about two.
Speaker 7: Just south of Denver, so it's pretty close to Colorado Springs, Okay Springs, it's right around there, and just so many places to see.
Speaker 1: You could even do a day trip there. Really, it's that close. Nice and there's a really good German bakery in the downtown area. It's worth the trip alone.
Speaker 4: It is very cool.
Speaker 8: Well, I'll definitely put these photos in the show notes. That's okay, Matt, And this is in the links to the newspaper articles.
Speaker 4: This is very cool.
Speaker 8: Isn't it fun when you go on a little trip to be able to solve a mystery?
Speaker 4: I know I enjoyed that sort of thing.
Speaker 7: It is, and you know, we've got a problem with things like this. We can't go anywhere without looking up local legends and thinking, well, what are we going to explore and how are we going to turn this into an episode of monster Talk?
Speaker 4: And why not? Yeah, exactly. My wife wants me to.
Speaker 8: Every time I go anywhere, She's like, you know, we should see if there's a mystery to investigate.
Speaker 1: Im.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you're so interested in mystery. She's like, I'm so interested in text deductions? Is that fair enough?
Speaker 1: Will supply the receipts?
Speaker 4: There you go?
Speaker 3: Well, and and I also supplied one of the little wedges that we ate at the German restaurant, German Bakery.
Speaker 4: I'm still a low car, Matt. You're gonna have to bear with me.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: You can just smell the picture.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that looks tasty. Is it like cereal on top?
Speaker 3: Or like it looks like it is but it looks like, yeah, like frosted flakes on top.
Speaker 1: But it's not talking about the almonds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's almonds.
Speaker 4: It's a little chocolate triangle with it.
Speaker 1: I can't I can't see that there is there is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm not sure quite what it was, but Matt, I think you should include for the patrons only the story of the bakery owner.
Speaker 4: Bonus bonus bonus material. Wow, that sounds like such a fun trip and it's so beautiful. Check the show notes, everybody, and check out Matt's photos. Oh, I say, Matt, I mean Karen may have taken some of these, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Matts.
Speaker 7: And it's certainly very atmospheric pictures especially not really it makes the place look haunted.
Speaker 4: It really it does. It's just it looks like a really fun place to visit.
Speaker 5: That's really neat Morenster, you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and.
Speaker 1: I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 6: You just heard a discussion with Kiaren and her husband Matt about the relaxing rest and research in Victor, Colorado. Check out the show notes for photos and news clips and links.
Speaker 4: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode, we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, We now have a variet i of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forward slash Support. That's MonsterTalk dot org forward slash Support. We have links there to our Patreon page as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kindles so we can share our digital libraries with each other, and finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms.
Speaker 6: Monster Talks theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys. We appreciate you making our show a part of your busy life.
Speaker 4: H This has been a Monster House presentation