Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 5: It's five o'clock. Good morning.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Monday, September ninth.
Speaker 5: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: Ready for another work week, another for Ready for another super hot day.
Speaker 5: It is going to cool down, just not yet.
Speaker 1: So I had had a huge weekend for me. This was a big deal. I did a ten k. Never done a ten k before. Don't know that I'll ever do one again, but it was super funny. It was the Disneyland Halloween ten k. And after the run that started at like five o'clock in the morning, I mean, you're at Disneyland, so you got to go play in the park, right, So we spent the day running around at a friend Heidi in town.
Speaker 5: I think I hit a new record.
Speaker 1: I had more than thirty three thousand steps, that's like sixteen miles. They did the half marathon on Sunday, so technically I did the half marathon. I'm going to tell you more about it and I'll also tell you a couple of things I learned in my first, ever and possibly last ten k But let's get to the important stuff. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call, and here's the latest on that fire burning near Highland in San Bernardino County. The fire has burned more than twenty thousand acres in forced evacuation orders in Arrow Bear, Lake, Running Springs, Forest Falls, and Mountain Home Village. A nearly one thousand acre fire that started yesterday north of Glendora has forced people out of the Camp Williams and River communities.
Speaker 5: The first and possibly.
Speaker 1: Only debates between former President Trump and and Vice President Harris is just one day away. Over the weekend Trumpeldla rally in the battleground state of Wisconsin, Harris was in Pennsylvania, where she's been since Thursday, preparing for the debate. We're going to get the latest on that with ABC's Karen Travers coming up in just a couple of minutes. The Rams started their twenty twenty four season with a twenty six twenty overtime loss to Detroit last night. The Chargers scored a win for Jim Harbaugh on his first first game as head coach. They beat the Raiders twenty two to ten at SOFI Stadium. Hey, September is Suicide Prevention Month. Our very own Debora Mark is taking a closer look at how suicide affects both the people who do it or attempt it and how it affects those who are left behind. That's coming up at the bottom of the hour. You are not going to want to miss miss it. And Neil Savadra and I are not taking a plunge, but we are going to play Dar Devil's We're going over the edge and we need your help to do it. We're going to tell you about that before the top of the hour at six o' five. It's handled on the news. The mom of the suspected school shooter in Georgia from last week called the school before the shooting.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you about that.
Speaker 1: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Evacuation orders are in place in the San Bernardino County Mountains, where a fire that started in Highland has grown to more than twenty thousand acres. The fire has been burning since Thursday night. It's threatening more than thirty six thousand homes and other buildings. The areas under evacuation orders include the communities of Running Springs, Forest Falls, and Arrowbear. This man says he's staying at a Red Cross shelter with his dog because he has nowhere else to.
Speaker 6: Go, no family.
Speaker 7: That's in southern California, and I'm not driving seven hours to go see my kids or my ex wife.
Speaker 1: Lake Arrowhead, Crestline and Seven Oaks are under evacuation warnings. Governor Knewsom declared a state of emergency for the county over the weekend. Firefighters say the fire burns so hot on Saturday it created its own weather system that could spawn lightning and gusty winds. Another fifty four homes in Rancho Palace Vertes are having their electricity shut off because of the shifting land so Cal Edison is set to cut power at about six tonight for homes in the lower Portuguese Bend Beach Club area. Cox Communications will disconnect one hundred and forty six customers in the Portuguese Bend Community Association. Gas service was shut off Friday in the Western Seaview area and for twenty five homes in the Portuguese Bend Beach Club. It is five oh seven on your wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. Karen, the big debate is tomorrow night, could be the only one. Yeah, tell us how they're preparing for it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So the Vice President has been in Pittsburgh for the last couple of days, hunkered down with senior advisors, preparing for what could be the only debate of this election cycle between her and former President Donald Trump. She is traveling to Fillladelphia today to be ready and be there in advance of tomorrow night. But you know she's preparing is very traditional debate prep. She's doing mock debates. They set up a stage at her hotel with full lighting so she can.
Speaker 8: Do a recreation of what it will be like tomorrow night.
Speaker 9: On that stage, she has a stand in for Donald Trump as somebody who is kind of going full method actor, taking this role very seriously, and we're told that, you know, she is planning to focus a lot on Donald Trump and his record tomorrow night. You know, a lot of the campaign strategy for the last couple of weeks has been introducing herself to voters, defining herself and her message for voters.
Speaker 8: Certainly a lot of that at the DNC in August.
Speaker 9: But you know, now the campaign says they want to combat what they feel is Trump amnesia, voters forgetting what his four years in the White House were like. So look for her to really focus on that tomorrow on the debate stage and also try to go on the attack, to go after him and try to get under his skin and rattle him. As one person said, you know, to make Trump go full Trump.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so she's been hunkered down and she's doing all this prep.
Speaker 5: He isn't doing that so much. He was out at a rally over the weekend.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he has a different way of doing this.
Speaker 9: He did it before his debate with Joe Biden back in June. He did this the last couple cycles. And remember, you know, he's experienced at this. This is his seventh presidential debate because he's run for president three times. But one thing that's been interesting is that he is preparing more than he is letting on. He's not doing mock debates, they're not setting up a stage in a.
Speaker 8: Hotel for him.
Speaker 9: But he is doing policy sessions with a team of advisors, including Congressman Nat Gates, former Congresswoman Tulci Gabbard, who actually was on a debate stage with the vice president back in twenty nineteen. And we're also told that as part of the preparation, the former President's been briefed on Harris's past debates, including that very viral moment back in twenty twenty with Vice pre it might Pence when they were talking and she's fired back at him.
Speaker 8: I'm speaking. That one very viral.
Speaker 9: And we are told that Donald Trump has told his aides and allies that he does not want to let that happen and won't let that happen to him tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: Okay, So do debates, Karen, from your experience, because I know you've been following this for a while, do they really change people's minds?
Speaker 8: I mean, look at what happened in June.
Speaker 9: I think that's always going to be the thing that we point out of Do debates matter? I think everybody will say, look where we are right now, Is something like that going to happen tomorrow night? I don't know, but you know, it's just the moments are unexpected. You don't know what the candidates are going to show up, like what question might trip somebody up, and they're significant.
Speaker 8: I think this one is so.
Speaker 9: Notable because there will be so many people tuning into this. I think there is a very significant interest across the country in this because it is the first time that they have ever appeared together.
Speaker 8: It's actually the.
Speaker 9: First time they've ever been face to face, which I think might be striking to people. They've just never had a chance to be together before because of course Trump did not show up the inauguration back in twenty twenty one. So I think there's such a heightened interest in this, and the fact that this campaign is kind of, you know, turbocharged, with everything changing over the past couple of weeks, there is a potential for such a game changing moment tomorrow night, and there's a lot writing on it for both sides.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this probably is the only one we know that Trump wanted three. The Hairs campaign has only agreed to one. Do we have any rumblings that there might be another?
Speaker 5: Or is this it?
Speaker 9: There's you know, discussion, there's like tweets and talk about it, but this is the only one that is scheduled right now. I think, you know, the Hairs campaign had said like, he has to show up to this one before they would talk about anything else. He had wanted to do one before this one. They said no because that was not what was scheduled. This was the thing that had been put on the case. So we'll see what happens tomorrow night and where they can go from here. You know, it is a weird calendar season with this coming early. Usually they're like late September, early October. But this does take people off the campaign trail for a couple of days because of the prep work that goes into it. So there is that calculation for and against doing another debate.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll be watching and we appreciate your insights and hopefully we'll get to maybe get some feedback about what happened next time we talk to you.
Speaker 8: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you, Karen, have a great day.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man's been arrested for the fatal stabbing of a woman in Costa Mesa. Police recalled last night to an apartment on Victoria Street. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The man was taken into custody. Investigators in Georgia's say the fourteen year old charged with killing four people at his high school had only registered at the school about two weeks before the shooting. The boys aunt said his mom had called a school counselor the morning of the shootings last week to warn the school about an extreme emergency.
Speaker 10: Thanks He had told the school counselor to go immediately and find her son to check on him. According to the suspect's aunt, the call was made nearly half an hour before the shooting.
Speaker 1: ABC's Allison Kosek says investigators are still looking into the timeline of phone calls and events. We're going to hear more about the shooting, how horrific it was, and how it actually could have been much worse. We're going to be talking to ABC's Jim Ryan in just a few minutes. Ground has been broken on a new homeless shelter for families in Pasadena.
Speaker 4: The organization Door of Hope says it's fifth shelter will be home to twenty families.
Speaker 5: Who must give it all a big ground.
Speaker 11: Of a bob.
Speaker 4: Local leaders on Friday joined David and Catherine Lee, jewelry retailers in the San Gabriel Valley, for whom the home is named. It's the former home of Reverend Andy Bales, who sold it to Door of Hope after retiring as CEO of Union Rescue Mission on skid Row. The Lee's donated a million dollars, while the City of Pasadena Supervisor Catherine Barker's office and others provided other gifts, totally more than four million dollars for the project.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned a little bit earlier, I did my first ten k. Don't know if you've ever done one, but had a couple of lessons learns and some reflections from it. And of course it was the Disneyland Halloween Time ten k. They did actually three races. They did a five k, a ten k, and then a half marathon. And my partner in crime, Nick polio'chini, also did the ten k with me and the five k the day before.
Speaker 5: How are you feeling today, Nick.
Speaker 3: I will tell you that my feet are still killing me. But I had a great time. You and I had a great time. I was definitely near tears at many many times, having not ever done either, just like you, never having done this before. But Yeah, it was an amazing time covering all of the Disneyland resort and running around all that stuff. So it was so much fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was fun because different than a lot of runs because well, first it wasn't time.
Speaker 5: So to be honest, I rocked most of it. Nick walked most of it.
Speaker 1: We did a few little spurts and we're going to be sharing some stuff on social media of the pictures.
Speaker 5: Yes, where it appears that we're running.
Speaker 1: We didn't do a lot of running, right, And you mentioned that it was emotional, So again, I don't know if you've ever done any kind of a competitive run or anything, but we finished and we crossed the finish line and we went yay, we did it, and then I got emotional too. I kind of teared up, like I'm really proud of myself even though we just walked it and didn't So it was kind of a cool thing and you really feel this sense of accomplishment, which I thought was really cool.
Speaker 5: No, it's really cool.
Speaker 3: And I think the thing the thing that is timed if you're participating, not what we did, but if you're doing the half marathon, that is time because that if you're doing those marathons around the world. It does count toward those qualifiers, but for what we did with the five K, five K and the ten k, we know together those are not counting toward anything. But it really is a sense of accomplishment. And we ran past people that were raising money for charities, so that was really cool to see. We saw community organizations that were coming out and cheering people on, different cancer organizations out there, people with different childhood organizations were out there. It was such a unique experience, and especially because we've worked with the Children's Hospital Los Angeles before we do the Wigwagga Walk. We do things with Children's Hospital Orange County, so many different organizations, but this was such a different thing because we walked past and we ran past so many different people, just people in general, and different groups of people. People that were making friends first thing in the morning, and people that were just making friends as we were in the corrals as they call it, as you're lining up for the race and had never met before and we're just trading you know, all of the Taylor Swift era of trading friendship bracelets, and people were decked out in costumes. There's a whole different energy than you would ever experience at any other gathering, even at a Disney style thing.
Speaker 5: So it was really really fun. Okay, And here's a couple of things that I learned.
Speaker 1: One as we were going because I don't know if you know, but I had these ankle issues and it's a whole other thing, but it's just something you deal with. But my ankle has been bothering me a lot, so I didn't even know if I was going to be able to do it. And it was taking advil on Saturday, which I don't like to take a lot of aspurn and not that kind of stuff, but I was taking advil just to hopefully keep the pain down right. Well, while I was digging in my pocket to get my advill as we were backstage, because you're running inside the park and then you're running in the backstage area and then you go back inside and you kind of weave all over the resort. I was digging into my pocket to get an advil and I lost my credit card.
Speaker 5: It fell out right, What a great.
Speaker 1: Way to start the day, right, So then you realize then you get that sick to your stomach. If you've ever lost a credit card or had it stolen. You just freak out. So I filed my report and I was like, well, I better kiss this buddy, but goodbye. But I thought, you know what, I'm not going to cancel it yet because it's Disneyland. I got my credit card back like eight hours later. But they it's another It's just a testament to Disney. Really, and you guys know that we're both Nick and I are big Disney fans. But it's a testament to Disney that I got a credit card returned that was lost fell out of my pocket in the park. So I mean kudos to Disney. And here's the other thing I learned. I was really feeling sick. We did a lot of we were drinking our water and doing all that, and then we had a nice breakfast after the race, but I was still not feeling well and my friend Heidi, who came to town to cheer us on, said we need to get you a pickle. I was like, what are you talking about, and so got they'd sell those big giant pickles at Disneyland. I had a pickle and almost immediately felt better, and it was because I was replenishing the salt in my body. Even though I was drinking water. You know, you lose salt and stuff because you're sweating. Plus it was one hundred and ten degrees, so you're sweating profusely. So if you're ever feeling overheated and you've been sweating a lot and you're feeling a little off, get yourself a big giant dill pickle. It really I was amazed how immediately it made me feel better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look out, gettorade.
Speaker 3: Here comes the ultimate electrolyte for you.
Speaker 1: Well think about it, and a pickle a lot more natural than the gatorade.
Speaker 5: And like I said, so pickles can save your life.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we took some really stupid fun videos. We're putting those together and I'm going to put it up on my Instagram shortly. It's at amy Kking and at KFI AM six forty. It may be the first and last time you ever see us running a front ten k, but we invite you to come and check that out. Also, we'd love to hear you to follow me at amy K King and Nick POULIOCHANI where can they follow you?
Speaker 5: Because I'm sure you're posting stuff too.
Speaker 3: I will be posting stuff at this week with Nick and Nick Poliochanni, both of those on Instagram, so definitely check us out. We had a really really good time.
Speaker 1: Yes, we did the latest on the fire burning in San Bernardino County near Highland. More than twenty thousand acres burned, zero percent surrounded and lots of evacuations in the areas and fighting that fire in a one hundred and ten degree weather.
Speaker 5: My goodness.
Speaker 1: The extreme heat is about to move out of southern California and excessive heat warning though will remain in effect until eight pm. The National Weather Services We're going to cool down tomorrow. By Wednesday, temperatures are going to be back in the seventies and eighties. That's going to go through the rest of the week. The race for the White House is a virtual tie a day ahead of the first and possibly only presidential debate. A poll release yesterday by The New York Times in Santa College gives former President Trump a forty eight to forty seven percent lead over Vice President Harris. That is within the margin of error at.
Speaker 5: Six oh five.
Speaker 1: It's handle in the news. Classes in Kentucky have been canceled today in Central Kentucky anyway, as a search for a freeway shooter continues. Bill's going to tell you about that.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. Unfortunately, we're talking about another shooter. The high school shooting at Appalachi High School last week was of course horrific. Four people were killed, nine others were shot, but they're thankfully going to survive. And you say, Jim, that it could have been much worse.
Speaker 12: Well, yes, that school and schools all over the country have been making preparations going into this school year, doing different things to try to quote harden the school as a target against this sort of activity. This district and thousands around the country have contracted with one particular company. The company called Crisis Alert Systems. It's made Atlanta based at firm, and it's kind of multifaceted that has teachers wearing the name badges or badges that have a button on them, and so if there's a minor emergency in a classroom, somebody has a nosebleed or some minor small thing, they can press the button a couple of times and help will be coming down from the principal's office. Press the button eight times, as the teachers and administrators did on Wednesday, at Apalachi High School and school resource officers are on the way, police are on their way, Strobe lights are flashing, a PA message is telling everyone to go onto lockdown, down mooade and the doors are automatically locked, and so that appears to have limited the damn. I mean, obviously, if you were related to or you either of the two students or the two teachers who died, this is a horrific loss, it really is, But the numbers could have been much much hiring me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so hard to say that was the good news when it was happening. So do you think bringing parents into the mix in these school shootings and holding them accountable like the father has also been arrested sort of switching tack on you. Do you think that that's going to bring any change to the number of school shootings.
Speaker 12: It's hard to say. If it convinces a parent to somehow secure the weapons that might be in the house, or in the case of Apple Acgy not to give the kid an assault style rifle as a Christmas gift, then maybe so. But I mean it's sort of mixed result there. Because we had a case in Santa Fe, Texas down by Houston where a shooting in twenty seventeen. I think it was several people were killed in that school shooting. The student who was responsible has been found incompetent to stand trial, so parents sued his parents. Parents are the victims suit the parents of the suspect in that case for a million dollars, saying that they should have secured the weapons, they should have seen the mental health issues that their son was having, etc. The jury found in favor of the shooters' parents. They found that they were not liable for this, So there's kind of a mixed messaging there. The father out in Georgia faced criminal chargers. Those down in Santa Fe, Texas were looking at civil charges. Maybe that would be the difference there. But I think you're right. I mean, the specter if a parent looks at those guns in the gun cabinet which is not locked, and here's about a case in which a kid shot up a school and the parents were held responsible, if that convincesn't to lock that cabinet, then yeah, there could be some effect from it.
Speaker 1: Well, or, like you said, after the FBI came out and talked to that family because of a possible threat that was made a couple months later is when they're saying that the dad bought the kid a gun.
Speaker 5: I was like, what are you thinking?
Speaker 12: Right right? You know, they believe that. Even the the sheriff's investigators who went and talked to the family, talked to the father and talked to the son. They said, well, we don't see have any evidence that he was making threats on discord this gaming platform. The kid says he didn't, the dad says he didn't. So they more or less dismissed this whole thing, you know, despite warnings coming from the FBI. So but in a situation like when you have a system like this, a security system inside of school, it's not going to work unless that advance work has done that. You know, the first of all, the school has to have locking doors, has to have this PA system school wide, the strobe lights, and then you know, and working cameras. But how do you prevent something like that? You know, That's that's the hard part. This is all this stuff is a matter of responding to as opposed to preventing school shootings like this.
Speaker 5: That's the trick, and unfortunately we have to respond.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad to see that they are implementing these things too, hopefully.
Speaker 12: Yes, you know, six thousand schools around the country had that same system in place now within just the last couple of years. Eighty percent in Georgia, and schools around Florida, Nevada, and Alabama have similar systems.
Speaker 1: It is our reality. Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the information. Appreciated. Thanks you all right, we'll talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming into the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LEDWP crews have been working overtime to restore electricity loss during the heat wave. More than fifteen thousand customers are still without power as of last night. Harvard Park, Hollywood, and Northridge are among the communities with the most customers impacted. A concert at the Hollywood Bowl had to be canceled last night because the power went out. The State Food Bank Association is met with Orange and La County food banks to address the latest USDA food security stats.
Speaker 2: The USDA report found more than forty seven million people struggled to put food on the table last year, which was three point two million more than in twenty twenty two. California Association of Food Banks CEO Station Elevenfields says despite California producing almost half of the nation's fruits and vegetables, almost nine million people in the state are short on food.
Speaker 13: As of June of this year, twenty six percent of families with children across California communities are food insecure.
Speaker 2: She says that status similar to the early months of the pandemic in Orange County.
Speaker 5: Corbin Carson kf I.
Speaker 1: News study finds Santa Monica is the fifth most expensive vacation destination in the US. Experts at travel agency Magical NEPAL have analyzed more than one hundred well known attractions across the country. Based on daily meal expenses, public transportation cost, accommodation rates, and attraction fees. Santa Monica costs six hundred and thirteen dollars per day or nine hundred and twenty eight dollars per week. The most expensive destination is Aspen, Colorado, at seven hundred and seventy nine per day. The most affordable is Charleston, West Virginia, at one hundred and ninety four dollars per person per day. A wildfire in the mountains of San Bernardino County continues to rage out of control. The fire that started Thursday has burned through more than twenty thousand acres of forest land. It's threatening nearly five thousand homes in Running Springs and highland. The fire is still zero percent surrounded. LA County firefighters are working to surround an eight hundred acre brush fire that has prompted road closures and evacuations. The fire started yesterday afternoon near East Fork and Glendora Mountain Roads. Highway thirty nine and Glendora Mountain and Glendora Ridge Roads have been closed. LA National Force officials have cleared visitors out of the area. A man has been rescued from a thirty six inch drainage pipe in Oxnar. The Ventura County Fire Department used robot technology to pinpoint the man's location, and then crews had to cut a hole in the pipe to get him out. He's been taken to the hospital. No word on how long he was in there or how he got in there. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. LA is getting a new area code. I don't know what's gotten into me. I did my very first ten K over the weekend, and now Neil and I are about to go over the edge to fight homelessness in LA We're going to tell you about that coming up in about fifteen minutes. September is National Suicide Prevention and Awareness Month.
Speaker 14: And experts say suicide remains one of the leading causes of death Nationally.
Speaker 15: We've seen a continual increase in the number of people dying by suicide, with approximately fifty thousand people dying by suicide, and here in California we have about four thousand people dying by suicide each year.
Speaker 14: Sherry Sinwelski is with Deede Hirsch Mental Health Services. In twenty twenty, there were eight hundred twenty nine suicides in La County, making it the eighth leading cause of death, and officials say more than thirty three hundred people tried to kill themselves that same year.
Speaker 15: It's a combination of stressors. It can be mental illness that they're struggling with particular things that are happening in their life. You know, we're still coming off of a pandemic where there was a lot of isolation. People of course, are facing financial constraints sometimes and all different types of events that are impacting their personal lives. And I think that those stressors have gotten more intense.
Speaker 7: Ah Well, a younger brother died by suicide twenty one years ago.
Speaker 14: That's Rick Mogel. The death of his brother would be the start of his journey as a bereavement counselor at DDE Hirsh. Did you ever feel embarrassed or did you ever feel uncomfortable or concerned about what people would say when you told them what happened to your brother.
Speaker 7: No, I was very forthcoming, shouting from the rooftops because I didn't want anybody to feel that. First of all, that ed suicide to find him, nor did it define me.
Speaker 14: But Rick says, if you're not comfortable talking about the details of a loved one's suicide, then don't.
Speaker 7: You have every right to say to somebody who wants to all the details that you have every right to say to somebody. It's too painful and I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 8: So how are you doing? Just at all?
Speaker 5: This is Joey.
Speaker 8: I'm doing good.
Speaker 16: So I fell into.
Speaker 17: Massive, deep depression in twenty thirteen after my marriage fell apart.
Speaker 14: I met up with him at Northridge Park, a place he used to come to when he wanted to hide from people. This is actually the first time he's been back here since he tried to kill himself in twenty sixteen. He had moved into his parents' home after his marriage ended.
Speaker 17: So I tried to hang myself and I was out.
Speaker 14: Who found you?
Speaker 17: I woke up and I heard my dad knock on the door, and I don't know why there's no locks on my parents' doors. I don't know why he didn't come in. And I was on the ground and he said, Joey, okay, and I didn't want to see me, and I said, Dad, I'm fine, I'm fine. And that was that.
Speaker 16: I never told anybody for four.
Speaker 6: Years, nobody.
Speaker 17: My thought was I was a burden and that I had nothing to give, that.
Speaker 6: I had no hope, that I had no purpose, and that everyone to be better off if I wasn't around because I wasn't productive, I wasn't doing anything.
Speaker 17: So my thought process was.
Speaker 6: This will be better for everyone.
Speaker 14: I asked Joey if he ever thought about the people he would leave behind.
Speaker 16: I'm telling you that I thought I was committing an unselfish act. I thought I was doing something that would relieve everybody of pain. That's what I thought, and you can tell me it was selfish of me to do it, But I will tell you I didn't look at it that way. So when I hear people say this was such a selfish thing to do, well, every time I hear that, I hear that from somebody who's never been suffered mentally deeply.
Speaker 17: To that point, you know, I felt like I was relieving. Everybody's paid And honestly, I don't know that I thought about my kids at that time.
Speaker 16: It was such a painful time, and I wasn't seeing them, and I wasn't seen anybody.
Speaker 14: Joey says he's much better now. He's been in therapy, receive treatment, and even volunteered for the new nine to eight eight suicide Prevention hotline tomorrow. In part two, running down the hallway to her bedroom and there is my mom the morning I found my mother's suicide note for wake up call, I'm Deborah Mark.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Did not know that If you missed any of Deborah's feature, you can hear part one again this afternoon on the John Cobalt Cobalt Show. It's going to play at three o'clock, and then really looking forward to hearing the rest of Deborah's feature that's going to play tomorrow morning, same time right here on wake up call. Very sobering, but it is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, such an important thing to highlight, So thanks Deborah. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The triple digit heat is sticking around for at least a couple more days. Excessive heat warnings are in effect through eight tonight for much of the Greater LA area and for the Malibu Coast in La County Beach. The National Weather Services those coastal areas could hit ninety six today. The Santa Anna Mountains and foothills and Orange County inland areas are also under excessive heat warnings. Valleys in Riverside County are also under an excessive heat warning. They include the cities of Corona, Riverside, and Marino Valley. Downtown Riverside hit one oh seven yesterday. Former President Trump and Vice President Harris are a day away from their first debate, possibly the only debate of the twenty twenty four election.
Speaker 13: It'll be ninety minutes with two commercial breaks. The two ABC moderators will be the only people asking questions. There'll be no opening statements, but each will get two minutes to make closing remarks. No props or pre written notes are allowed. No topics or questions will be shared with the candidates in advance. They'll have two minutes to answer questions, two minute rebuttals, and one minute extra four follow ups. Their microphones will only be live when speaking in the other will be muted. There'll be no audience in the room. The debate will air live on ABC, Disney Plus and Hulu September tenth, starting at five o'clock.
Speaker 5: Heather Brooker CA if I knew, Thank you, Heather.
Speaker 1: The heat wave pounding southern California is about to break. The National Weather Service says the extreme heat will persist through today, where a record high of one twelve was recorded in downtown LA on Friday. Residents are being urged to stay indoors, stay hydrated, and check on neighbors. Former Wyoming Congresswoman Liz Cheney says she's still a conservative but will vote for Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris for president this November, and her father, Dick Cheney's going to do the same. She says a traditional conservative Republican party must be rebuilt after this election.
Speaker 5: Cycle Beetlejuice.
Speaker 1: Beetlejuice has scared its way to the top spot at the box office. The sequel to Tim Burton's nineteen eighty eight hit horror comedy took in one hundred and ten million dollars in its opening weekend. That makes it the second biggest September movie debut of all time. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, a concert at the Hollywood Bowl had to be canceled because of.
Speaker 5: A power outage of all things.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to our own Neil Savadra, who's joining us a little bit early.
Speaker 5: Normally you'll hear him starting at six.
Speaker 1: But I said, Neil, come, can you come talk to me this morning because we're we're about to do something really crazy and we're both doing it together.
Speaker 17: Yay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know what's gotten into me. First of ten k and now this.
Speaker 3: Look at you?
Speaker 5: Okay, this living your best life? Yeah, okay, this is what this is.
Speaker 1: We were approached by the folks at the Union Rescue Mission. You said, we're doing our fundraiser, our annual fundraiser, and we would love for you guys to participate. And Neil and I both went, Okay, we'll do it.
Speaker 5: So here's weird.
Speaker 1: And I actually I was kind of incentivized to do this because, you know, during the Olympics when Tom Cruise repelled down into the stadium to take the Olympic flag from Mayor Bass and bring it back to the good old us of A. I said, that's the coolest thing ever. I don't know if the Union disku Mission people got wind of it, but anyway, they reached out and asked us to basically jump off a building.
Speaker 5: Yeah, tell us, tell us what it's going to be.
Speaker 11: Well, Amy and I went and checked it out. This is going to be on September twenty seventh and the twenty eighth. We're doing our over the Edge on the twenty seventh. It's at the La Hilton there in Universal City. You can see it right off the freeway there and it's there just help one campaign. So currently like seventy over seventy five thousand people experiencing homelessness in Los Angeles County. And the thing about the Union Rescue Mission that really hit me is they don't get help from the government.
Speaker 1: And you know why they don't get help from the far This is this is why I'm behind this too.
Speaker 11: Is because they are they have dry services, which means you can't come in and use drugs, you can't drink, you have to want help. And that hit me that so you have to have a place where people can come in and do drugs for the government to give you money.
Speaker 5: Which seems so crazy. Yeah, it's asked backwards.
Speaker 11: So to have the Union Rescue Mission say no, we're only going to help people that want help, that want to transition, that want these types of services truly to get better and get out of their their situation. I just dug that. And so not only did am I doing this alongside Amy, but they went on my monthly charity. So I'm a big believer that you should have at least three charities, even if you're only given a couple dollars, an international one, a national one, and a local one. And that way you're kind of covering your bases and it doesn't have to be crazy, crazy money. But you know that's they've been added to my local one. So okay, I just really believe in what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, and I feel the same way. And so.
Speaker 1: When we were talking with the people from a Union Rescue Mission. They said, you know, Mother Teresa once said, if you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. And as Neil mentioned, there's over seventy five thousand homeless in LA. It's too big, it's too many. We can't it's like your mind can't wrap yourself or you know, wrap itself around helping everybody. But if you could just help one person or one family, then it breaks it down and it.
Speaker 5: Makes it doable.
Speaker 1: And so that's the goal of this campaign is to help one So, like Neil said, doesn't have to be a lot. If you can donate twenty bucks, if you can donate one hundred dollars, if you can donate more, that's great. But if you can't, that's okay because every bit's going to help. And as Neil said, these are the people who find themselves in this situation. They want out of it, they want to get back into housing, they want to have a better life. And the Union Rescue Mission feeds a ton of people, but they also have programs to transition people back into housing, to help them get back on their feet again. And I am so into a hand, you know, like reaching out a helping hand don't. I don't necessarily always love a handout, but a hand up is a great thing, and that's what I think that we're trying to help with. So here's what we're doing. As Neil mentioned on the September twenty seventh, we're going to go up to the top of the Universal Hilton and we're going.
Speaker 5: To winning four stories. Is it twenty four or twenty five? I'm going to say twenty five.
Speaker 11: Is twenty five, I believe, is the helopad or whatever.
Speaker 5: They're Okay, we're not going all the way up to the helopad now.
Speaker 11: I think we go off, which is you know, if you want to round up there, you're looking at two hundred and fifty feet basically.
Speaker 1: And I will tell you we when we went to look at it, because I said, I want to go and see what we're going to do before the day of so I can kind of mentally prepare for it. I about lost it when I looked over the edge of that billfolder, like that's.
Speaker 5: A long way down. But we're gonna do it.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be wonderful, it's going to be safe, and there is a way for you to participate.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 1: Because again this is their big fundraiser, and so we're gonna be talking to you over the next few weeks about you know, please open up your wallets, give us a little bit. We can every little bit, how little bit helps, and again we're looking to help just one family at a time.
Speaker 5: But if you have one.
Speaker 1: Thousand dollars and you want to repel down the side of a building for a good cause, you.
Speaker 5: Can do that too.
Speaker 1: So you can join us, yep, one thousand dollars and you can repel off the Hilton in Universal City. And the way to find out information about this and how you can donate, we've got an iHeart page because we've got some other people from our sister stations participating is just help one, the number one just help one dot org. You can start donating now and we'll probably have some challenges along the way, but we'd love for you to participate. And again, homelessness is out of control. We've got to start getting a handle on it. And these people want the help and.
Speaker 11: The government's doing a his poor job. So the private you know sector is going to have to step in. And if you give five thousand dollars, we'll throw kno right over the side of the building with the smallest parachute. No, I don't know that for sure.
Speaker 5: Okay, so mark your calendar.
Speaker 1: September twenty seventh is the day that Neil and I are going over the edge to help fight homelessness. And again the number of the website to get more information or make a donation, Just help one the number one dot org. Just help one dot org. I can't I'm I'm scared to death, but also excited.
Speaker 11: I'll go first, Damy, so you have something to land on.
Speaker 5: Oh a nice stuff landing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Neil, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A proposal in La to require pets to be microchiped has moved forward.
Speaker 4: More than thirty two hundred pets were reunited with their families last year by LA Animal Services. City officials say microchips are critical to such reunions. Any pet adopted from the city's shelter is already required to have one, but there's no city law mandating it in all cases. That could change the city Council's Neighborhoods Committee approved a motion last week directing Animal Services to explore the feasibility of requiring all pet dogs, cats, rabbits, and horses in LA to have a microchip. The Full Council considers it next in downtown LA. Michael Monks KFI News Lisa.
Speaker 1: In southern Kentucky, you're trying to find the person who shot at least twelve cars on a highway and injured five people. Investigators say they found an AR fifteen type rifle they believe was used in the shootings near London, Kentucky, on Saturday night. Laurel County Sheriff John Root says a guy named Joseph Couch bought the rifle legally the morning before the shooting.
Speaker 12: You're not a failing or something.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: If you can go in and you fail to fight for work, anyone can purchase.
Speaker 5: The guns, please say.
Speaker 1: They also found the suspected shooters car abandoned near a remote wooded area. They say the shootings on the seventy five were calculated and planned. Chain restaurants and coffee shops in New York City are going to have to add new warning labels to their menus starting next month. The City's Sweet Truth Act will require restaurants to warn customers of menu items that contain at least fifty grams of added sugar. Restaurants that failed to comply will face hundreds of dollars in fines. Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Chicago Cubs at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 5: The first pitch goes out at seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: You can listen to every play on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. This is KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Orange County. This has been your wake up Call.
Speaker 1: If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.