Speaker 1: The FBI in Peace and War.
Speaker 2: The FBI in.
Speaker 3: Peace and War Another great story based on Frederic lar Collins copyrighted book, The FBI in Peace and War Drama, Thrills action. Tonight's story dumb luck, Oliver.
Speaker 2: I looked at the window.
Speaker 3: Now was read your movie magazine? I read it. We'll go in the club car and have a drink. I bloom, Amy, I am trying to read the newspaper, flew Oliver walk.
Speaker 2: In the air plane. This takes too long.
Speaker 4: What are you reading?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm reading about a Texas millionaire who dropped dead two days ago and left three and a half million dollars to a college with one hundred and seventy five students.
Speaker 2: How much is that a piece? Am reading about dead people? For? That's morbid?
Speaker 3: Amy, go buy another movie magazine?
Speaker 2: Why about dead people? Oliver?
Speaker 3: It because my little idiot.
Speaker 2: Girl, I don't think you should call me that, even joking.
Speaker 3: Well, because, my dear, I don't see any reason why that college would get all of the Texas millionaire's money.
Speaker 1: I'd like some of it myself.
Speaker 2: Who wouldn't Has he got wrote not a one? Poor guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very sad, So how would you get.
Speaker 2: Some of that money.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know his background yet, but he was only forty nine, and it's always possible that he secretly promised to marry or even married some poor girl, and then died without ever mentioning that fact with.
Speaker 5: The executors of his estate.
Speaker 2: He had a girl.
Speaker 3: Well, it's possible, isn't it. And when this poor deceived little thing reads the paper, he's dead. Naturally, she's going to turn up with her lawyer and with letters in Charlie's handwriting, chow you the millionaire Charlie Emmett.
Speaker 2: He deceived her?
Speaker 5: Huh, Well, it's possible.
Speaker 2: So where is she now?
Speaker 3: Well, she may be right here in this compartment for all I know where you, dear.
Speaker 2: I never even heard of the guard that you mentioned him as a.
Speaker 6: Matter of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, dear, I get it, or you do. Yeah, I'm here, that's right, and you are Malaia right again.
Speaker 2: How much could we get out of it, Oliver?
Speaker 3: Well, if it worked enough to buy you a reversible mink coat, who ever heard of it?
Speaker 2: Jeezing, it'd be too hot a mink out.
Speaker 3: Of it, probably would.
Speaker 2: Yes, let me see the paper.
Speaker 7: I told you what was in it?
Speaker 4: I know, but if my boyfriend dropped dead all of a sudden, at least I order read his notices.
Speaker 1: Why Oliver Dean Santley wanted by our bureau or a fraud and forgery was one of the most intelligent swindlers in the business. During his various prison terms, he studied law, practiced penmanship, read avidly on every subject under the sun, and prepared himself for more swindles. His campaign to have braud the estate of Charles Emmett of Texas was researched down to the minutest detail. He spent days on county records, looked up old newspapers, visited every town the Texas man had lived there. With the full background and his girl Amy standing by, Santley called on the executors of the emit the state, and then he showed me these letters from Charlie to the girl. I just wouldn't believe it. I thought I knew all about chum. Are you assure sir?
Speaker 5: Naturally?
Speaker 1: I asked him some very pertinent questions.
Speaker 5: Oh, he has the.
Speaker 1: Facts offer, but how did mister Emmett. Of course, that's the first thing I wanted to know. How did Charlie manage to keep it secret, and why, well, why a simple He didn't intend to keep it secret.
Speaker 5: She lived in California and he was going to bring her here.
Speaker 1: Of course, she was associated with some nightclub. But Charlie obviously intended to Marrier on his next trip West. This lawyer who represents he's a California man, but it really seems quite confident he studied our.
Speaker 5: Statues, sorleft.
Speaker 1: What is she asking for us? Well, we didn't come to specific terms, but it sounded like two or three hundred thousand. My guess is that we finally agree on something between ten and twenty thousand. Of course, sir, the estate is not legally liable in a manner like this. I know it isn't, and so does her lawyer. He's presented her claim quite frankly, on a nuisance basis, save the estate bad publicity and save embarrassment to the university. I suppose that is worth something.
Speaker 5: I'm afraid it is.
Speaker 1: Of course, I said we'd.
Speaker 5: Want to talk with the young lady before we come to any decision.
Speaker 1: Naturally, I thought you might do that. Author be glad from what I gather from mister Santley, she's not an intellectual bombshell. You'll have to handle her with the techtile try, sir. Also, it's possible that she's merely an adventuress who met Charlie on one of his busines strips and is trying to cash in on a good thing. But you said he wrote her a letter.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, he did.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: In many ways Charlie was a brilliant man, but when it came to women, that's off in the way, sir.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm afraid it is.
Speaker 1: No man who has a million dollars ought to be allowed to write anything but business letters, especially after age party.
Speaker 3: All right, Now, where did you meet him? Amy?
Speaker 4: I met Charles at the Club sixteen in Los Angeles, where I was fulfilling and singing and engagement.
Speaker 3: What's wrong now you're reciting it like you were reading it.
Speaker 2: Well, I did read it off that paper he gave.
Speaker 3: I know you did, Amy, But the idea is on No, no, no, no, I can't take any more till after writ eat.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Oliver, But once I learn about me and Charlie.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's the way to say it.
Speaker 7: You and Charlie. That actually sounded as if you were his girlfriend.
Speaker 6: Certainly.
Speaker 2: What you have to do, Amy is believe that.
Speaker 3: Think of the exciting place as Charlie took you, how much fun you had together, how sweet he was. How one night you know about the palm springs?
Speaker 1: And he said, gee, Amy, I.
Speaker 2: Sure we'd love to see you in a natural, sober blue mink cout Amy.
Speaker 3: Charlie was a romantic guy, not a walking bank account.
Speaker 2: Couldn't he express his romantic feelings in a practical way?
Speaker 3: Come on, come on, let's eat.
Speaker 4: Oh well, get it, Oliver, honest, I will. When do I have to see the lawyer.
Speaker 3: In a couple of days?
Speaker 2: Could we have chop Suey tonight? Oliver? If they have chopped Suey in Texas?
Speaker 3: They have everything in Texas, everything, especially money, and I'd like very much to get my hands on some of it.
Speaker 1: Although there were very few leads on Santley, we did get some encouragement when one of his victims gave us a business calling card, but Santley had left while posing as a lawyer. The address on the card was a non existent number on a street in downtown Chicago, but we figured that something must have prompted Santle to name this street, so we began checking with Santlee's photograph. We canvased building on the street in the nightclub. We finally came up with something.
Speaker 6: Let me see that picture again. Yeah, that's him, the big blow hard. What's she wanted for a swindle?
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 6: If I told her once, I told her a hundred times. This guy is a phony layoff.
Speaker 1: Told who mister Grogan, er Amy.
Speaker 6: That dumb beell. But oh no, he's distinguished looking, she says.
Speaker 2: And I say, who is Amy?
Speaker 5: Mister Grogan?
Speaker 6: She used to sell cigarettes here. She was so dumb. I was keeping an eye on her.
Speaker 1: I see, no, you don't.
Speaker 6: This was strictly on the up and up. I'm not the marrying kind, but.
Speaker 1: If I had a been, I gather this young lady.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 6: He called for her one night a year ago, and she just never came back.
Speaker 1: Have you any idea where they went, mister Grogan, Sure I have.
Speaker 6: I could practically give you a map. Every couple of months, he sends me postcards. There ready wish you were here, love Amy. We'd like to see those cards, mister Grogan. I tear them up every time I get. When I'm so mad, I tear it right up. But the last one was from Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 1: How long ago was that I don't remember.
Speaker 6: A couple of weeks, maybe more.
Speaker 5: You think she's still went sampley all.
Speaker 6: She says on a postcard is dear Eddie, wish you were here, love Amy. She puts her tea on wish.
Speaker 1: But you're sure the last one was from Dallas.
Speaker 6: I'm positive, mister Grogan.
Speaker 1: Do you happen to have a picture.
Speaker 2: Of the girl?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I got one. Hey, but look, she's a good kid. I don't want anything to happen to her except she should learn or listen.
Speaker 1: With the cooperation of the Dallas police, we began an intensive search of the city. We didn't know, of course, that Santley was working on a swindle in nearby fort Worth, and that the former cigarette girl Amy was playing a leading.
Speaker 5: Part in this.
Speaker 4: And then when Charlie never wrote again, well, I just got in my room and waited and waited.
Speaker 1: I know how you must have felt, miss Harmon.
Speaker 2: It was just awful. I'll bet I waited and waited and then waited all. Bet you want to know anymore?
Speaker 1: No, I think we have all the facts. We didn't want to bother you but I'm sure mister Santley explained it.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did. I said, I don't mind talking to someone like you, mister Winters.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: I always admire lawyers. They know everything.
Speaker 1: Well, not quite.
Speaker 2: You're kind of young to be a partner in or aren't you, mister Winners.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm thirty four. That's not very young.
Speaker 2: That's practically a baby.
Speaker 5: Do you think so?
Speaker 2: Charlie was forty nine, Yes he was. He worked too hard, didn't he. I'm afraid so you shouldn't work so hard, mister Winters.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm afraid. That's the nature of our business. But look, I don't have to work so hard that I couldn't take a client. Well you aren't exactly a client, but well, whatever your legal status, would you like to have lunch with me?
Speaker 5: Miss Harmon?
Speaker 3: Now Act two of Tonight's story, Dumb Luck.
Speaker 1: With pictures of Santley and Amy Harmon in the hands of every law enforcement agency in the vicinity of Dallas. Agent Reynolds and I began checking the fanciest hotels and night spots. Sampley likes to be seen spending money in the best places, And.
Speaker 3: Then I thought we might go to the Blue palms for dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh I can't, Oliver, I got to eat with mister Winters.
Speaker 3: Oh you do.
Speaker 2: He says, you'd better talk to me again.
Speaker 3: He talked to you yesterday, I know, and the day before that.
Speaker 5: Here I know.
Speaker 2: He says there are a couple of things he wants to clear up. I see you said I should go along with him, didn't.
Speaker 3: Jolifer, Yes, I did, and you've gone along very nicely. Amy. Now I think it's time he returned to California.
Speaker 2: I don't know anybody in California.
Speaker 3: Oliver, Amy, dear, you're not actually going there. You're just telling mister Winters that now you've handled your under the deal beautifully. Now I come in and clean up.
Speaker 1: Oh, Oliver, Yes, you.
Speaker 2: Could get put in jail for what you were doing, couldn't you now?
Speaker 3: What brought that up? Nothing?
Speaker 2: I've just been thinking, that's all.
Speaker 7: Oh you have.
Speaker 2: You don't think I can think?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: Of course I do.
Speaker 2: Now you don't. But mister Winter says, I'm very perceptive. You're what What does that mean, Oliver?
Speaker 7: It means that mister Winters does in no trouble when he sees it, As.
Speaker 1: Is often the case, our big break in the search for Santley came from an unexpected source. An elderly man who worked in the back newspaper for a room at the Dallas Library saw Santley's picture in the post office and called at our Dallas office.
Speaker 6: And he came into my room three or four times for back upies of the papers.
Speaker 5: Do you know what he was looking for, mister Harris.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I do, because I helped him. He said he was doing a magazine article of mister Charles Emmitt, and mister emmittt made all that money in oil.
Speaker 1: Is that the man who died just about a month ago?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, he was only forty nine when he dropped stone dead in his office chair when I said commentary on the herd of Burley of.
Speaker 5: Modern Living, Yes it is.
Speaker 6: I'm seventy seven. Now we exactly the same as I did today. I graduated from high school.
Speaker 1: That's remarkable, now, could you tell us, mister Harris?
Speaker 6: I attributed it mostly to a substantial breakfast and at least one egg days, sometimes two eggs.
Speaker 1: Mister Harris, do you happen to have a copy of the paper on the day Emmett died?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, we do.
Speaker 5: May we see it? Please?
Speaker 6: Of course, sit down, gentlemen, only take a minute.
Speaker 5: How do you figure the ankle? Steve?
Speaker 1: Well, if he gotta swindle the dead man, he certainly would have. But barring that a dead man's estate, it's as good a guess as any Yeah, how where does this cigarette girl fit him?
Speaker 5: Amy? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What about Amy Harmon's Harmon?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did you did you enjoy your steak?
Speaker 4: It was delicious?
Speaker 1: You didn't eat very much.
Speaker 2: I'm not hungry.
Speaker 1: What are you thinking about, miss Harmon?
Speaker 4: About last night when you were asking me what did I want most of anything?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I used to think that.
Speaker 4: If I had a mink coat, I wouldn't want anything.
Speaker 2: Else in the world.
Speaker 4: Know, all of a sudden, Yes, I don't know what I want? Oh, except maybe a vacuum cleaner.
Speaker 1: Uh, a vacuum cleaner?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Still ask me why? I don't know?
Speaker 5: What do you want?
Speaker 2: Mister Winters?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want you to have dinner with me again tomorrow night and the next time after that.
Speaker 2: I can. I'm going back to California.
Speaker 1: What but miss Harmon, Amy, you can't go so soon.
Speaker 2: We got my ticket already. I'm going in the morning.
Speaker 1: We've got so much to talk about. Yeah, I know, stay one more week. I can't. Three days, I can't.
Speaker 4: Mister, my name is Author, I can't, honest, Author, I'd like to Amy.
Speaker 1: Stay one more day. There's something very important I want to ask you. But there are other considerations relating to a family situation and certain people. Amy, stay one more day, please, Amy, just twenty four hours?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I could stay that much. Twenty four hours. Couldn't hurt anybody credit.
Speaker 1: Within twenty four hours of our visit to the library, we were in the offices of Gordon and Winter's, a law firm which was acting as executor of the Emity State. We gave mister Gordon the facts on Oliver Sangley and his partner, Miss Amy Harmon. I'm afraid my partner, mister Winters, is going to be very upset about this. He he seems to have developed a genuine infection for this young lady. We've only seen her picture, but he's obviously attracted, quite and warm hearted. A matter of fact, I rather took to him myself. She reminded me, well, never mind, that's immaterial. Where is mister Winters now? Mister Gordon, we'd like to talk to him too.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm sure this won't surprise you, but he happens to be with miss Harmon right now. She was supposed to return to California today and mister Winter's persuaded her.
Speaker 5: For Arthur, he's really going to take this hard.
Speaker 1: Do you know where they've gone, mister Garden?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: I told him to go out to my country club. We have a swimming pool out there in an excellent kitchen, and my partner, mister Winters, is thirty four years old and as far as I know, has been extremely shy of women.
Speaker 5: Oh, this is going to be Yes, Arthur, where.
Speaker 1: Are you in my office?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 1: I just got in.
Speaker 5: I thought you're out my.
Speaker 1: Club, I was, sir, but now I'm here in my office. Well, come right in now, will you author this important?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 5: Oh this is very peculiar. Gentlemen, Do you mind if I handle it any way you want? Mister Gardner, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I just wish I knew what there was to handle them.
Speaker 5: No, Arthur, come in, Come in, Arthur. This is Agent Stevens and Agent Reynolds of the FBI.
Speaker 3: FBI.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm afraid I have bad news.
Speaker 5: For you author. Miss Harmon already.
Speaker 1: Only, sir, on the way to the country club, he told you, yes, or the whole swindle. She couldn't go through with it. When she got through telling me she had such a headache, we stopped at the drug store for asburn. She went in the front way and out the back. I've been looking for all day. I suppose you, gentlemen they are. I don't feel very well, sir. In fact, I'm gonna be quite ill. Will you excuse me from all of course, I'll be right back.
Speaker 5: This Gordon.
Speaker 1: We're going to pick up Sadly the girl might want him.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think that would be advisable. Oh, poor UPA. He's really taking it hard, isn't he.
Speaker 1: We picked up Oliver Santley at his hotel, and several days later we found Miss Harmon after she'd gone to Chicago to get back her old job. Miss Harmon was arrested and remanded to jail to face formal charges. During the first day in jail, she had a visitor, Good morning, Amy.
Speaker 2: So what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: With your permission? Amy? I'd like to represent you in this action? What's that?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I want to handle your case as your lawyer. Oh h that is if you're not already represented.
Speaker 4: I'm not represented.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: Then let's go over the details so.
Speaker 2: That Arthur, you didn't have to do there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did teach you. Yes, I I think undue influence has been brought to bear on you by mister Sandley, that you were coerced into this act, which I feel I can convince a jury was and is repugnant to your nature.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Oh, I say you can kill me on.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try.
Speaker 2: Oh why so, I think I'm going to cry?
Speaker 1: Well, that's all right, go right ahead. We have half an hour. Oh oh yes, poor kid?
Speaker 5: Am I I think?
Speaker 2: So? What Arthur?
Speaker 4: Yes, do you want to kiss me?
Speaker 1: Yes? But not now, Amy. First, we've got to figure out what we're gonna tell the jury. Miss Amy Harmon, ably defended by her lawyer Arthur Winters, was given a one year suspended sentence by a sympathetic judge, but Oliver Santley, whose long records spoke for itself, was sent to a federal penitentiary for five years. We haven't checked up on Miss Harmon since the case, but we feel sure she's still enjoying dumb luck.
Speaker 3: And Tonight's story to Rita about pray. The thought of Amy Harmon Martin's Lane was author Winters. This radio dramatization for the FBI in Peace and War was written by Louis Pellettiers. These programs are produced and directed by Betty Manderville. All names in characters used on the program are fictitious. Any similarity to person's living or dead is purely for Wincinnati.
Speaker 5: This program is based.
Speaker 3: Upon Frederic Lacollins copyrighted book The FBI in Peace and War, and the broadcast does not imply endorsement, authorization, or approval by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This is Warren Sweety inviting you to listen to next week's story, The Ugly Duckling on the FBI in Peace and War