Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services in sure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to I on the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in with me today.
Speaker 2: Is somebody recognizable? Jay Gonzaltz? Oh, Jake, I'm here man another Friday afternoon. Did you keep kod anything?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't kill anything this week. I didn't do a lot of anything. Well that's why, you know, I just I just stayed away. Didn't didn't touch the Utah game because I thought, you know, well I can't anyways. But I mean the issue, you know, we talked about it, and I thought if if if I was a gambling guy and was, you know, inclined to put something on Arizona that game, I wouldn't have given that many points.
Speaker 2: Stayed with fifteen and a half with the ASU game. Oh yeah yeah. And then, uh, you know, I haven't done much of anything. I've been busy with other stuff this week. So I've actually watched a lot more college basketball than I do though, just because trying to see what's what you know, what do you find there's it's crazy, it's nuts, Steve. You know, it's not Kansas isn't any good. You know, North Carolina is not really that good.
Speaker 3: And the teams that you thought that were pretty good taking it badly.
Speaker 4: You know, and out of I mean, look, Duke is really good and we've seen them in Cooper Flag and all that.
Speaker 2: But I just don't know how anybody's going to roll over Houston. I'm not. I look at Houston and I go, those guys are just mean.
Speaker 3: No, no, you're you're right, and they were being astray and they got unlucky with their best year getting done. But yeah, yeah, I went with I already said people what I've done, told people what I've done. I bet fifty on Florida got and they could be the number one seed overall. Yeah, given what's happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've seen them a couple of times and they look but you know, and maybe it's maybe it's you know, the the the bias towards the league that Arizona is in, and you see Houston and I've seen them more than I've seen the some of the other top teams. But you know, I watched that entire Kansas Houston game, and while Houston didn't really pull away from it, Kansas was never going to win that Kansas.
Speaker 3: Those both good games both times they played almost a favorite. You guys have access to the internet for odds to win it all. Yeah, okay, well we'll talk about that. Because Houston's good. I like them a lot obviously, but they can't score.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they can't score, but they don't let you score.
Speaker 3: Well if it's two to zero and in the final two minutes.
Speaker 4: But you know, I've seen Florida a couple of times, but you know, Florida's you know, got be.
Speaker 3: Bad the other day, vulnerable to you know, somebody seems Auburn gotta beat.
Speaker 4: Yea Auburn, you know, Yeah, I mean so I do. I mean, I've seen Auburn a couple of times, and I'm like, I still think Houston is the toughest team out there. But you're right, you know in a game that if somebody puts some points on the board against them, they're gonna have a tough time beating them. But I just and and I don't see I don't see Arizona being any of those teams.
Speaker 3: No, no apples to apples, no did you find it? Yep, okay, So give me the top top our odds to win it.
Speaker 2: All they've got.
Speaker 3: By the way, this is Henry and we have Matt and today. Matt, we found you on the old milk carton. We found you.
Speaker 5: This is on ESPN.
Speaker 6: They got Duke plus three thirty, Auburn plus three fifty. Oh wow, Florida plus seven to fifty, Houston plus nine hundred.
Speaker 2: Well, if you were going to bet Jay, I'd take the nine to one. Yeah, I put Duke. There's Duke's a favorite. Now, Yeah, dude's plus thirty thirty.
Speaker 6: I've got Arizona plus four hundred, four thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four thousand, that's forty one that you know. I again, you know, Arizona's not built to win. To win, no, no, I mean, can they get on a run and do something stupid?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: I mean we didn't think ninety seventeen was going to do anything right. Well, so they can't. I just want to say that.
Speaker 4: But you know, if you say, if you're going to try and predict one that's likely to win this thing, Arizona's not in that picture.
Speaker 5: To me.
Speaker 4: I think if they get to the sweet sixteen they've done good and that I think that's about all you can expect. I was looking at Joe Lunardi. He still got them as a as a four seed. So if they're seated fourth, they're seeded into the sweet sixteen, and that's as far as they're supposed to go.
Speaker 3: And realistically, I think we've had those odds too. I think there's some odds there. We talked about that. I think that was like seven and a half to one to get to the sweet sixteen. Yeah, which is you know, okay, okay, possibly, you know, and it'd be fun.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm working in the West regionals, so it'd be fun, you know, for them to be up there for that. I wouldn't be you know, if they if they are do make a West A Regional and they're in the West Region and I'm there, I wouldn't have the same feeling as I had the year they lost to Xavier in the sweet sixteen and in San Jose where you were. I was just pissed off at that game because that team that was a Final four team until a Lonzo Treer wouldn't give up the ball. So this team, if it got to the sweet sixteen, I think that's about all the fans can ask.
Speaker 2: For this year. Yeah, tell that to the fans. Oh no, I hear you.
Speaker 4: You know, I was looking at some losers twitter feed saying that this season is a failure right now, no matter what happens, it's a failure because they've lost ten games.
Speaker 2: He and I'm like, wait, wait a minute, wait a minute. They said it's a failure. Fire him, Fire him right now. And I'm like, wait a minute, I don't have a clue if so he's and he was basically saying, even if this team wins a national championship, Tommy's not the guy.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, what are you talking about? How can you say something stupid like that?
Speaker 2: You know the internet?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, exactly, Yes, yeah it is.
Speaker 4: Somebody called my attention to that, and I said, I wish you hadn't. I wish I didn't know that that guy existed, right. I just didn't want to know that that that that person was on the planet. But you know, Sweet sixteen is about anything after the Sweet sixteen is is house money?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, realistically that's what you kind of thought in December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're in December, you're right, So what am I going to do with March? Nothing to do? And you know, and they could catch hot.
Speaker 3: I mean, first people are going to tell you, well, ninety seven they didn't blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Well then you give me every other year.
Speaker 4: And then, right, I mean take of all the years that they should have done something and didn't. So but but you know, Steve, it's it's still been, you know, really funnier. You know, you will get to the last home game, you know, Tuesday night, and I you know, you have all this reflection, right, you know, but just thinking about that, it was a really fun season at Michaelvias.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about who did we have in this week? Well I had to.
Speaker 3: I think that had Blake. I think we're one of those guys. I said, aren't you glad you have tickets to these games?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so we're you were entertained. There were more fun games in one in one home season than I can remember.
Speaker 3: Tell me Texas Tech, uh all of them? Oh, Houston, all these games.
Speaker 2: B YU was a fun game. They got beat but it was a fun game. You know. Houston was a fun game. They got beat.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, Baylor TC every game, every conference game, pretty much was pretty much fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're going to invest in to go watch the games just to win a little bit, how boring?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you know the the thirty point blowouts over Oregon State in Washington State and cal and stuff. You know you'd go to those games and can we just get this over with?
Speaker 3: And didn't you in uh, whenever one name of the schedule was mis set up. When they joined the big You're thinking, this is gonna be fun, this could be fun. And it was and it was, and you said, and you say, and we talked about it a lot. It was that, Okay, it's gonna prepare them ye for what's happening March.
Speaker 2: And are they are they preparing to think there? If they're not prepared, then I don't know what what you know what to do? You're just like the oodle bomber today. You're like a bunk shot away. You look like, look at him, he looks like the conversation just took a sharp left.
Speaker 3: Didn't if you stood up against the ball, He's like put a little number in.
Speaker 5: Front of him.
Speaker 2: You should have seen it. When I had the hood up in the sunglasses, I got a funny look at the stop like, that's just the way this thing, what do you call the monk, It's just some of the gear that I get for doing what I do.
Speaker 4: Thirty five years Steve wat table. But I watched it from upstairs for the first time. Man, that was crazy. It's fun behind you had a better seat than I should.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we heard you, you guys talking.
Speaker 2: Hey man, we we you know what, we had a good year. Your this is your uh your trial year from up there. Yeah, you know it went fine. Which it's one of those things where you do such a good job, you get to stay in the crap job, right, So we're gonna I'm sure we're gonna stay up there. They're not gonna move us back down because you know, we got off to a little bit of a rough start because it was hard, you know, justice to working up there. But around after the Duke game, from then on we did pretty good. You're like the tape. Are you ready for the postseason?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We we We've actually been asked to go do uh possibly do the women's final four up in Phoenix, which we might know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next year, you guys were day to day you know that we are we are we we definitely are our day to day. Yeah, we're you know, I think our average age is bumping up against seventy. I'm the young guy on what no Adam is because he's down. He's down. But but the three guys that sit upstairs, I'm the young guy. Cool. You get more swag for your for your didn't get any didn't get any really this year, last year? Four?
Speaker 4: Oh oh the final fource. Yeah, and then we'll get some at the at the West Regional. Although I don't do stats there, but I do other stuff.
Speaker 3: Well now, I mean I'm working at the West Reason in San Francisco. Yeah, okay, like, yeah, I'll be working. Okay that I'm staying at here in your hotel, take a flight.
Speaker 2: I have one king bed. So I don't think you are get the cod.
Speaker 3: I'm going with the boys Toicago, dude, I'll be there's the chavarone. Oh the interpreter. Actually, hey, that girl's looking at me. Try she's not looking at she's looking at me.
Speaker 2: Man. Good. Cool.
Speaker 3: So let me just set up the schedule for today. We're going to have a Gary Badore, longtime fan or friend of mine, covers the KU team, the the Jayhawks for the Kansas City Star. You may remember him, he's been there forever. He's older than you and me. I think, so that'll be fun. I'm talking about what's going on.
Speaker 4: To yeah, being such at his perspective on what this season has been like. It's been certainly something different for those.
Speaker 3: Guys right right, right right. And then he's at three seventeen, and then at four seventeen. One of our old friends, old young friends, Kelly Pierce from from South Point, talked to UH to Wolfgang yesterday and Kelly returned to the Winter Circle this year.
Speaker 2: What's that five or six total? Total?
Speaker 3: Maybe four or five? Five because she missed out last year. Remember she finished seconds, Okay, so I think that's five. Yeah, Wolfgang just finished five in a row.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So you know, there's a lot of good things going on at South Point obviously, so Kelly's gonna come on at four seventeen. Hadn't talked to her in two years and then more just more basketball and more calls. Yeah, so you know, people talking about tomorrow maybe a little how about.
Speaker 2: That we have like three minutes, three minutes, this is.
Speaker 3: Enough for a da Obviously, everyone is wondering what's gonna happen with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, behind the scenes, a lot of speculation going on out there. One year on her what is it? She's got one year left on her contract, right, and you know how that goes with one year on contracts with the.
Speaker 4: Coach and I you know, and you look, she's been great for she's been great for the program, for the program as a whole, she's been great for the community, has been great for you know, the basketball program and what she's done over there. But I don't know that this they can afford to continue to pay her seven figures.
Speaker 3: It hasn't sustained the magic she started, right, because let me tell you something, in ten twenty years, you're gonna she can come back and say, well, she can come back anytime, say I created this, Yes, because who would have ever thought those people going in like that.
Speaker 4: It's gonna it's gonna take a leap by both her and the university to decide what's you know, what's she worth? I mean, look, let's face it, and let's just call it what it is. If if they want to give her a pay cut, right, if they say we can't pay you that anymore, that's a that's a pay cut. That's almost like a demotion, sure, And is she willing to do that or will she say, Okay, I'm willing to do that for the good of the athletic department as a whole, because I like it here and whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, what options does she have?
Speaker 3: Well, let me tell you something. We had her on the show the last time we had a show with you and I last summer before this, and we both looked at each other and she says, she's being very honest. I can't compete with the it right.
Speaker 2: And and that's today, tomorrow and beyond right And does she want to continue to deal with that?
Speaker 4: Where if she could go to say the w n B A or something where that's not a factor and she can just coach.
Speaker 2: So that'll be interesting to see what what happens there. And I'm not like, I know nothing.
Speaker 4: I'm not speculating on anything, just senior wondering what's what's the move right if if both what's the move for the university and what's the move for her in terms of.
Speaker 2: You know what, you know what she's going to do?
Speaker 3: And is there a right answer? Who knows is the wrong answer? Who knows right? Because it's all personal answers, right, answers.
Speaker 2: And it impacts both her and her husband, who both have jobs here right now, you know, do they go somewhere else as a package deal or does well, let's say, does she go to the w n b A and does sell stay here as a head coach and coach you know, you know, but but doesn't make a million dollars a year, you know that kind of thing. And this is a dumb question because I just thought of it now. Dumb question.
Speaker 3: Okay, so she got the million dollar culture twenty two I think it was twenty one.
Speaker 2: It might have been the best thing that ever happened to her. Might have also been the worst.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, that created an expectation, right, and that expectation has not been fulfilled. I mean, she's made the tournament every year, but they just haven't come close to that, you know what they did a few years.
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 3: You know, what's that thing much as given or much as expected to what much has given?
Speaker 2: And she's a million.
Speaker 4: Dollars right, and she's been again, she's been great for the program. Yeah. And when I say the program, I'm talking about the whole athletic program.
Speaker 2: You know, the visibility that she's had a lot.
Speaker 4: Of stuffs, right, that attendancy, fans, all the stuff that she's done as it relates to you know, the the you know, the equity of what's going on in NC double A, all of those things. But it's also hard to work when you're at Arizona and you're trying to compete against the LSUS and whatnot, you know, and the money that's involved in this, when people are pouring their money into football and basket men basketball.
Speaker 3: Here, right, let's take a break. You're going to get a hold of Gary talk more about tomorrow's game.
Speaker 5: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise? So Fasco Yaki Tribe.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space today. Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tip we'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Healths.
Speaker 2: Of course, to feel better and look better.
Speaker 10: It makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than any what else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: On twenty second just west of will not Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four. Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 2: It's time to restock.
Speaker 11: Your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven, Arizona BK nine two nine to fort two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got commitment to lydrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the un notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 2: And trading card games.
Speaker 9: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard Bacall Law Office defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bcall five to two oh seven four twelve thirteen. Broud, sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 13: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson in southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 14: Why is mining so important? It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the minerals eh process.
Speaker 2: That's whine mining is so important. Donny BYBM dot com.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find.
Speaker 10: At the big box stores.
Speaker 8: From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 15: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to y on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, and with me today's Jay Gonzalez. Now in the poll we have Gary Bador from the Kansas City Star. Gary, how are you good?
Speaker 5: I hope you guys are well.
Speaker 2: We're doing fine.
Speaker 3: We have a little Kansas weather down here, which ups ups.
Speaker 5: How you do it?
Speaker 2: I don't know how you do it, but let me tell you something. Go ahead.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So I saw Arizona played Iowa, stayed in names a week or so ago. How I wonder how the weather was there? That's our trip every year that turns into ice and snow. There's always snow on the ground and names Iowa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why. Why in the hell did they go to school there? He was sunny and cool all day. So Gary, let me take something. So I have Jay here. I don't know if and I'm gonna put some context behind this.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 3: He covered the team when it was Danny and the Miracles in Kansas.
Speaker 5: YEP.
Speaker 3: I covered it when Selim and Candy gate in fog Allen. How long have you covered the Jayhawks?
Speaker 5: Thirty five years? I've been.
Speaker 16: I've been adding that up today because I never added up and it looks like since nineteen eighty but only full time since the first year of Roy Williams. But I did cover Larry Brown, you know, half half the coverage, and I covered some of Ted Owens as a student. Well, I know all their past coaches in modern history.
Speaker 5: Well, we might have.
Speaker 4: We might have run into each other back in eighty eight because I was covering the Arizona team and then you know, when they got beat in the first round, you know I did. We did stick around and covered the championship game, So man, we.
Speaker 2: Would have been.
Speaker 5: Fifty to fifty at half time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I just remember, you know, I got a chance to interview you know, because Manning's dad, right was an assistant on that team, is that you know, And got a chance to talk to him after the game, and that was that was a story that I wrote on you know, how how his dad had told him to come back for that last year because something special could happen, and then it did, and so that that was a I'll never forget that locker room.
Speaker 2: That was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Danny Manning, Uh, most young people probably never heard of him, but he was the greatest high school player I ever saw play.
Speaker 5: He played for Lawrence High.
Speaker 16: His senior year because Larry Brown hired Ed Manning, who at the time was a.
Speaker 5: Truck driver but he did have some coaching experience.
Speaker 16: Well Ed moved Danny to town immediately.
Speaker 5: So we got to cover.
Speaker 16: Danny Manning as a high school senior and it was incredible because Kansas basketball high school isn't really great. Danny Manning six' eleven with point guard, Skills i'll never forget covering.
Speaker 5: That and then of.
Speaker 16: Course he got the one national title here they made two final, fours but he got in foul trouble and the other.
Speaker 5: One In dallas in eighty. Six, yeah so you cover a lot of.
Speaker 3: Games what about, TOMORROW i, mean, well let's talk about the. PROGRAM i haven't seen it like that a long.
Speaker 16: TIME i, know it's the second year of double digit losses in a row for the first time in the Bill self era twenty two. Years so they got double digit. Losses but the problem is in The Big twelve they're ten and nine And arizona is fourteen and.
Speaker 5: Five so.
Speaker 16: You, know just looking at, that these are two different. Teams arizona is going to get a top two or three. SEED i guess in The big twelve Tournament kansas is hoping. To kansas is going to have to play the first day.
Speaker 5: Wow for the second, day SO i don't think they can get into.
Speaker 16: The top group where you, skip where they'll skip the. Day so ten and nine in the, league they've lost four out of. Six not looking good. Lately they've lost.
Speaker 5: Three home games this, year and that's.
Speaker 16: Alarming so the league's, tough as we, know But arizona hasn't hasn't really had. Trouble Their their record is kind of like, ky you would really wish they had fourteen and. Five that's pretty.
Speaker 5: Good ten and nine not.
Speaker 16: Good especially if some if they lose To arizona ten and ten.
Speaker 2: Conference has anybody been able to put their finger on?
Speaker 13: This?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What? What's you?
Speaker 4: Know what what's happened this? YEAR i, mean you, know they they go get you, know one Hundred, dickinson AND i mean you just expected great things and then nothing's.
Speaker 2: Materialized what?
Speaker 4: What what do you attribute this season too in terms of what's?
Speaker 16: HAPPENED i know they were nine and two and the non con played played well and Beating duke In Michigan, state AND i really thought it was gonna be one of those years where you only lose three or four games at that, point one of those special. Years and then they drop out of the top twenty five a couple of weeks ago and are still. Out but what's happened is even though they have good defensive, stats they don't force any turnovers to speak. Of you, know every game you'll look at the statue five turnovers for the opponent. Six Dwan, harris the point guard who started for the national title team here has, gone has had two poor seasons in a, row so your point guard isn't isn't scaring the opposition and Their Zeke mayo the transfer From South Dakota state is there two guard or wing and he's good but not.
Speaker 5: Great hasn't had a great. Year kJ, adams their senior, forward has not had a great. Year and Then Hunter dickinson seventeen and ten pretty. Good but if you watch the, games misses a lot of.
Speaker 16: Bunnies you, know one of those big men that it's not finished well and when he misses shots or isn't involved as, much.
Speaker 5: So it just doesn't. Click they.
Speaker 16: Don't they make a lot of incredibly the bad decisions with the, ball they throw it out of, bounds and they've had. Stretches you, know they had a lot to Aj store the other. Day he didn't even finish. It and he's been a disaster since transferring From wisconsin where he was second Team All big ten AND Aj store JUST i don't know why.
Speaker 5: What the deal, is but.
Speaker 16: He hasn't done anything so self rarely even puts him, in so it's.
Speaker 5: Crazy but stretches of maddening.
Speaker 16: Turnovers can't can't hit. THREES a lot of games only have three or four defense has been, good but you can get a three off The. Jayhawks so just one of those teams are kind of like a five hundred.
Speaker 3: Team So, gary last TIME i saw, you we saw you In boise last. YEAR i think they'd be barely Be. SEMFORD i think there's a. GOALTENDING i don't know if it was or was, it BUT i think it was a. Goaltending Uh, so after those, games after they got beat the next the next, Game Bill sell, Said i'm looking really looking forward to next. Year, right he really wasn't happy with last. Year i'm looking forward to this year which he's going. Through does he still feel that? Way and AND i how has THE nil played in? This Because i'm sure a lot of those players make a lot of money and the portal and they're not and they're not living up to that, money.
Speaker 4: Right and you got these you got all these planet guys that you just. MENTIONED i, mean all of this just hasn't come together for, them it.
Speaker 16: Seems, yeah the, portal he's he'd have to get a failing. Grade so far on the, PORTAL i don't know. Which i'd love to study.
Speaker 5: IT i don't know which college coaches have mastered it. Yet but you know the guys he. Got Hunter dickinson has been fine except in.
Speaker 16: The one lost, record but Uh mayo From South Dakota. State they got a Guy Shaquille moore From Mississippi state hasn't contributed.
Speaker 5: Much so.
Speaker 16: The problem with the, PORTAL i think Tom izzo, said is these blue blood. Schools you know a guy.
Speaker 5: Will show up in the portal list on A monday and.
Speaker 16: You gotta Get you got to get involved, immediately like for an aj. Store they jump right in and they target. Him he's second team all big, ten can't. Miss we got to get that, guy and you, know you get, him and look what he's done for whatever. Reason, Nothing so he probably won't even.
Speaker 5: Be here next.
Speaker 16: YEAR i would think he'll transfer somewhere else with his disappointing. Season But bill has not gotten good enough portal players except For hunter Da, Dickinson so so why it's a big. CHALLENGE i don't know How arizona's done, YET i haven't studied, it but the portal is challenging a lot of these. Coaches And kaye's record has shown not so good at navigating the portal or nil.
Speaker 3: Yet so why Would bill say he was not you, know he was glad to see that season. Finished he was looking forward to the season and we'll look at what we see now and then he goes to see. It then he goes to Visit Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: State.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, uh he talked to.
Speaker 16: Him he denied that thing about visiting and holding up in a in a hotel at the golf.
Speaker 5: Course SO i don't, know but he said he flirted with not, flirted but.
Speaker 16: He talked to Os State Oak state more seriously in two thousand and eight after they won. It that kind of surprised me because IN o eight they won it and they had to parade and, everything AND i, thought you, know he wouldn't flirt with jobs unless.
Speaker 5: It was THE. Nba and he said in eight the talks were more serious than this past. Year that just told me, That, wow he might consider his alma. Mater if you, know he didn't hang up on him when they called this. Time so as far as why he did, that if he was looking forward to this year so, MUCH i don't know he was looking forward to this year BECAUSE aj, store if we were talking last year at this, time he was like the number one or two, transfer so self thought he was getting him to go With, hunter and he.
Speaker 16: Loves Dewan harrison rightly so because he was his point guard on the national title team with a bull in kJ. Adams SO i think he was thinking this year's teaming much. Better he thought it would shoot a lot better because they Added Ryland griffin From.
Speaker 5: Alabama he's been, decent but has not been you, know hitting threes like some of these guys across the. Country so how.
Speaker 2: Is all of this.
Speaker 4: EFFECT i don't know how has all this affected his approval rating among? Fans you, know because we know how that it can be, fleeting right you can BE i mean there's there's people here At tucson who are Saying Tommy lloyd ought to be. Fired not just he's you, KNOW i mean flat. Fired he's not a success because he hasn't won a national championship yet in his first three or four.
Speaker 2: Years but what's what's the approval rating for a guy like self who has won national championships and has had a lot of. Success we're what's his status right? Now?
Speaker 5: WELL i know the thing about, nowadays as you guys, know is the social media posts and most of the a lot of the fans when your team.
Speaker 16: Lose when their team, loses will immediately get ON.
Speaker 5: X Formerly twitter and blast, away and uh, yeah they Criticize self some, Too.
Speaker 16: But they really went After Zeke mayo after.
Speaker 5: The Texas tech, game and it was pretty sad because it was racist and a couple of racist posts and. Threatening you, know the idiot that'll POST i hope you're. Dead you, know it's just, ridiculous And mayo caught. That so only a week ago after that game Against, Tech mayo missed a three that could have tied the. Game self put the, ad put out a, statement And self jumped down about nine o'clock that night and put out a statement ON x that, said you, know blame, me don't blame the. Players so it's been that kind of, year you, know when you're talking about stuff like. That At, kansas it's got to be one of their stormy. Seasons bill has even said he's been the last month you, know has been terrible for. Him not not because of threats or, anything but it's just how badly they've been going and. It but, yeah THEY i, mean if you look AT x and the message.
Speaker 16: Boards and social, media, yeah they've done what you described they're doing To, Lloyd Tommy. LLOYD i, wish you, know coaches make a ton of money and they they're big, boys but they should get together.
Speaker 5: And trade stories so they know that it's not contingent of radical fan does it? Everywhere, yeah they've got some criticism for not winning The.
Speaker 16: Super bowl and they've made it.
Speaker 5: Two years in a, row and they they had their share of you, know negativity AND. X.
Speaker 2: Yeah so let me say what what tomorrow.
Speaker 5: IS i just wonder If bill's, self he's so proud of a, guy if he does catch wind of any of this AND i haven't been able to grab him to the side and ask, him you wonder how that would affect his love for this. Job, Dude like you, said.
Speaker 16: He talked To Oklahoma, state and if he gets winned that there really is something to some fans.
Speaker 5: Being ungrateful and. All that he can go to THE nba whenever he. WANTS i know ENOUGH nba people that told me he's gotten a zillion offers and at the, minute you, KNOW i think he makes so much. MONEY i think he's one of the top two or three paid coaches that he's probably still very. Happy but if you never know how a guy will react if he finds out that people are blasting him a little bit like probably just the same thing you describe With.
Speaker 2: Lloyd so real, Quick, darry what about?
Speaker 5: Tomorrow what do you, think, Well kansas can lose at home this? Year in the, PAST i never did you? Know one or two Games max usually, Won Caleb, LOVE i, mean is he going to go five for twenty three like he did in The national title game AGAINST? Ku or is he going to go? Nuts? IS i would SAY i saw That arizona lost at K state a long time. Ago So kansas's senior, day they've won forty in a, row your days at, Home SO i guess IF i had to predict with a gun in my, HEAD i would TAKE, ku even though by Now arizona's established itself as a fourteen and five. Team kansas a five hundred. Team won't be shocked at all If arizona, wins but because of the forty in a row and all, that IF i had to, Predict i'll TAKE, ku but will not be surprised at all If arizona.
Speaker 3: Wins, Okay, gary, well thanks a, bunch and lock up those kind of.
Speaker 5: Machines that was fun that you work all day that, year and then there was the candy machine. Taper, yeah that came out of. Nowhere so, anyway IT'LL i think it'll be a good. Game ARIZONA ku should be. Playing they haven't played since twenty ten, yea and those games are really fun back in the. Day and in nineteen ninety Seven arizona With biggie beat the number ONE ku team In birmingham.
Speaker 16: And an unforgettable game that maybe the best team IN ku history thirty four and two only made The sweet sixteen made.
Speaker 2: Coach williams cry at the. Podium remember that was a tough one he, did THANKS.
Speaker 5: Garyl pierce twenty seven, points but they weren't.
Speaker 2: Enough thanks a, Bunch. Gary we'll see.
Speaker 3: You good to talk to You gary. Later take, Care Gary. Bador let's come back and talk about all this. Stuff if you're An arizona men's basketball, fan you know it's been successful for newly forty now take a look back at The loudelsen. Era in my new, Book lessons From, loot it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former, players coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them competed against them and inspired. Them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years As arizona's beloved. Coach listens from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national. Powerhouse want, one email me At steve DOT rivera ninety five at gmail dot.
Speaker 17: Com, Hey Wildcat, Nation Jake fisher, HERE i gotta tell you about my winning.
Speaker 5: Team over At Arizona Health.
Speaker 17: INSIDERS i was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no, deductibles no co, pays nationwide, coverage AND i get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a. Month if you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance Called Arizona Health insiders four a doh three five five one four four four four a doho three five five one four four four what's your?
Speaker 11: Goal a new career or career? Advancement how about train insferring to a four year. COLLEGE Pema Community college can help you Make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your. Schedule with over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid, available it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you. WANT pema offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for. You learn how At pima dot. Edu Slash, Someday Hey.
Speaker 3: Tucson steve rivera, heir And i've got a tip for. You want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at, home then you need to call my friends at The Edmond Markets All State. Agency these guys are the MVPs.
Speaker 2: Of home and auto.
Speaker 3: Coverage whether it's a fender bender or a leaky, Roof they've got you. Covered don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your. Insurance with The Edmond Markets All State, Agency you're always in good. Hands visit them at twenty seven Nineteen North tampbele or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three.
Speaker 2: Three where do you buy exercise?
Speaker 9: Equipment Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona.
Speaker 10: Health of, course to feel better and look, better it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone. Else At Arizona, health our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your. Goals your health and fitness deserve the best you. Deserve Arizona health the leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipments on twenty.
Speaker 10: Second just west Of wilmot.
Speaker 18: At Peermid Federal Credit. Union we believe less is. More let's peace mean more money in your, pocket less hassle means more time for what, matters and less stress means more confidence in your financial. Future, Pyramids less Is more philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Two Sun Spectrum Peermid Federal Credit, union Where less Is more federally insured BY, ncua an equal opportunity, lender breaking.
Speaker 15: Down all the xs and. Ohs this Is eye on The Ball Steve rovera On Box sports fourteen.
Speaker 3: Fifty, hey welcome back To iying The Ball Hero Fox sports fourteen. Fifty I'm Steve rivera in today with me is Jagin'saus you Got henry And matt is okay Forgetting matt. Here by the, Way, matt that's all our social media. Stuff So, matt you're Not you're not feeling somebody's dude name.
Speaker 2: Wrong you're.
Speaker 4: Cool matt does a great job especially when he wakes me up at eleven o'clock at night to get him the code he needs to be able to post our.
Speaker 2: Podcast i'm teasing. Him, yeah, yeah you're a good, Guy matt for doing. It yes you, Are yes you. Are thanks for coming in that. Too. Well it's interesting because to talk To Gary burdoor because you feel like they're going, through you, know What arizona went, through both first at the end of The loudolsen era and then certainly some of those years Under Sean miller where they were just kind of, mediocre, Right, Yeah and they're not used to.
Speaker 3: It you, know if you went to a site one of Those kansas sites that they're probably.
Speaker 2: Think i'd be losing their.
Speaker 4: Mind and and how much, truth how much stock can you put into those rights because the people that go on there and say, stuff for the people who.
Speaker 3: Are emotionally you, know they're not overtaken by.
Speaker 2: It they're not the real.
Speaker 4: Fans, yeah you, know and AND i mean as sports writers it was hard for us TO i mean we heard from you, know the the you, know the the real that the fans who are just over the, top you, know concerned about but trying to talk to a realistic.
Speaker 2: Fan we didn't talk to, Them we.
Speaker 3: Didn't hear from them because they're just out there just going through the. Season realistic fan that doesn't belong in the same.
Speaker 2: Set, WELL i Think i'm a realistic, Fan. Steve here's a call just now coming. In but but you know WHAT i, mean, though you're, right we don't hear from the people who are just kind of sort of even keeled about, things right news to, say you're not going to push it on.
Speaker 3: Them and the thing, IS i say this a little time if you if you're a booster with money and you blah blah, blah you don't have time to be, tweeting and, right you're, Busy, dode you're making.
Speaker 2: Money you're making.
Speaker 4: Money BUT i do, wonder you, know in, general how their fan base is taking, this BECAUSE i didn't realize that they had double digit losses last year.
Speaker 3: Too, yeah it was very strange when you talked about that at the press convers that day because we were there In, boise because you, know it was a frustrating. Year But i'm really looking forward to next. Year in, FACT i was looking forward to it about a month into left in the, Right i'm thinking what does the coach ever say?
Speaker 2: That and then this.
Speaker 4: Happened, Yeah well he started to make a good, point and we didn't we didn't stay on it is this whole issue with the, portal, right because you talked about how you you, know these guys jump into the portal and you've got to go get, them and you got to get them right. Now you don't have time well right to review film and to to talk to, coaches like when you're recruiting a high school, kid you don't have the time to do the background work.
Speaker 2: That you need to.
Speaker 4: Do you just, Say, okay this guy's been pretty. Good we've seen him ON. Tv let's go get.
Speaker 3: It, well let me tell you. Something let's talk About arizona's portal. Transfers isn't Isn't? Townsend that guy he had a great game Against kentucky last year in the tournament and you're.
Speaker 2: Thinking, oh this guy's pretty. Good, yeah and then he goes for thirty in The red And blue game and it's gonna be all.
Speaker 3: That he's like bowl mule. Box you, know the guy could miss what happened to? Him well he doesn't play and, okay that's one one. Dude and then you have Del, orso who was a heck of a player at his, place scroll out of, points shut the ball out of his, mind, right and then can't hit the shot.
Speaker 2: Here, well he doesn't want to get a. Shot he. Doesn't it's like he doesn't want to shoot the. Shot it's that he doesn't want. To he just can't get it. Off, okay so you're, right but, see and that's. It that's the danger of the portal because if you're not you, know if you don't.
Speaker 4: Hit a bullseye with these, guys what happens to you is what's happening To Kansas Hunter dickinson has Been, yes he's been seventeen and, ten but he talked about. It he hasn't been that. Great it's despite his, stats he hasn't been that. Great then he talks about, stores he talks about all these guys that you, know you.
Speaker 3: MISS i HEARD i had heard too, officially unofficially That niel had been a problem, too because guys are making a lot of, money, right And i'm not really caring.
Speaker 2: What it takes money to go get those guys right, good takes money to go get those portal.
Speaker 3: Guys jealousy and right where you know this guy's making this and doing. That What i'm making this and doing?
Speaker 16: This?
Speaker 2: What, yeah you know What i'm. SAYING i do know what to. Say we've talked about that from the get. Go you talked about how is you, know is the offensive guard gonna block is hard when he knows the quarterback is making a million dollars and he's getting ten thousand?
Speaker 3: Dollars, Right, No, no it's it's called human. Nature, well, sure you. Know but let's go back To. Arizona so here we. Are, here we are facing two programs that are storied but don't have a good.
Speaker 2: Story this, year, right, Right, well but there's only still got some hope for to at least finish where people might be, satisfied and that would BE i don't have to get to The elite. Eight oh, yeah, okay people will Go, okay that was, Good, okay, right because said we were again one step from a final. Four, Okay But, henry whether they get there or not is a Whole, yeah that's the whole.
Speaker 4: Thing if you as if you put a gun to my head right now and said are they getting to The elite, EIGHT i would say, No.
Speaker 2: No that's WHAT i was gonna Ask.
Speaker 3: Henry henry's realistic, Here he's a realistic Fan elite.
Speaker 2: Eight it depends who the. Matchups oh, yeah well that's, True. Steve they'll sure sure.
Speaker 6: If they Face auburn Or duke and they lose, them there's nothing you could. Do but if they lose to team they're clearly better, than Like clemson last, year then they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Come away SAYING i don't know if they were better Than. Clemson but, SEE i don't THINK i don't think they can beat any of the projected number one. Seats, no, no, no of course not, no, RIGHT i, MEAN i, mean can they Beat? Houston they.
Speaker 4: Could let's say today based on what we know, today if they Played houston ten times, TWO i would say.
Speaker 2: SEVEN i say they lose, seven, right they win? Three, OKAY i say they. Lose they've been too they went To, yeah so you know it's gonna be. Hard And houston is the fourth of the fore, seed of the four number one, seed.
Speaker 3: There's tennessee style is going to be. Obviously matchups are always think.
Speaker 2: THAT i, mean you, know when they Played duke down, here they were not they were never going to Beat duke in that, game you, know down. Here duke just did things That arizona couldn't deal.
Speaker 3: WITH i THINK i think they played the duke a second, time it'd be a better, chance.
Speaker 2: It'd be a better.
Speaker 4: Chance BUT i still don't think that they would beat. Him you, Know auburn would just beat the hell out of, them and by THAT i mean beat him up, physically Because auburn is a mean team Like houston with with a better you, know better scoring Punch. ALABAMA i don't, know you, know so, uh you, know and if they, go if they go intos the four, seed they're gonna have to beat one of those teams in the sweet.
Speaker 2: Sixteen, right and that's where the end of the road might.
Speaker 3: Happen and then if they don't play well in the first round or second, round right like we've.
Speaker 4: Seen, Right but then, again who thought That arizona was going to beat number one duke in twenty? Eleven you know with with, uh you Know, williams with With Derek williams and, uh, well what's the name.
Speaker 2: Of the little Cardmo? Jones Mamo? Jones, yeah, yeah count come up with that? One you did? Pull that was a very nice, pull don't. Remember Jamel, Horn, yeah brongway.
Speaker 3: Jamil, yeah so, foul foul with no time too, good funny the things you. Remember, yeah you're, right it's a shot. Too he's not buying a beer.
Speaker 2: For exactly exactly, okay But Sean miller right, else let's still be.
Speaker 3: Here and why don't we say that breaking news news item for breaking? News, okay, yeah so we'll see what. Happens are you what's the spread for?
Speaker 2: Tomorrow? Dude do we see? IT i think it was three and a, half two and a half for three and a. Half what are you doing that can look it? UP i don't. KNOW i wouldn't touch.
Speaker 4: It not touching that game Because arizon can, Win arizon can win, Big arizona.
Speaker 2: Can, lose. Lose, okay, yeah, YEAH i wouldn't touch. It yeah, either what's he over and?
Speaker 3: Under but said and a? HALF i go, over go. Over they blew a issue one hundred and fifty, five right.
Speaker 2: They it was ten minutes left when they hit.
Speaker 3: That, yeah and the thing, Is i'm guarding you as close as those fourth f.
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: That is that a game where you just are? Busy you can't, oh non, stop.
Speaker 4: NonStop we stayed with, it, though we, did you, know but, uh you, know my my Son, adam who's on the stack, crew he sits down at the, table so he's on the floor and he's really we got we're on headsets and we're relaying stuff back and forth probably every possession in the second. Half he was, like, well somebody plays some defense because we chat as we're as we're going. Along and the frustrating part was was that is that you're thinking as is not good enough to be doing scoring all the points that they're.
Speaker 2: Scoring even when the game got down to three. Points you never Thought arizona was going to lose the. Game but THE a they couldn't shake, him AND b they couldn't stop him from. Scoring and AND i HONESTLY i believe you, know we were going back and forth around on the table that none of us can recall a game that we. Did And i'm talking thirty five years for, me, right were both teams scored in the? Hundreds? No, no well this one between these two that Didn't did anybody come up with that stat the last?
Speaker 3: Time that was not specific to that, Question but these two nuts in seventy, three, right we're back in the. Whack and that was. Normal that happened a lot in the. Way but you know WHAT i. COVERED i covered sometimes some games here for When luke and all them, played they'd scored one fifteen one. Ten but the other one the other team that not, Right, yeah both teams into the. HUNDREDS i don't. Remember forty years, now none of us can remember. That, yeah, no BECAUSE i don't think it ever happened outside of maybe a, student, right Because miller's for. Sure, no, maybe, maybe BUT i doubt.
Speaker 4: It there were a couple of back to back GAMES i think he might maybe even in the same season Between utah And, arizona where the winning team scored one twenty. Six, yeah, yeah, yeah and That Eric money and those. Guys, yeah it was it was like one twenty six to one fife, ten.
Speaker 15: You.
Speaker 5: Know but.
Speaker 4: And but it was it was shocking that that they couldn't play any. Defense it couldn't. Happen you know, what.
Speaker 3: At the end of the, Day, jay when you're trying to figure out this, team AND i don't know if you figured out this, TEAM i don't think they. Have they play with their food a. Lot they just do with ten minutes left the you, know lullygag and you know it's like kids with a spool of. Yarn they just kind of play with, them play with it unravels and they're and they're. Losing and that's going to Be And Dave silver's with me every now and. Again, right there's three. Things they can't hit the three, pointer they can't defend the three, pointer and there were times when they blow.
Speaker 2: Leads they it seems like they lose.
Speaker 3: Interest three or two are going to be the dalpha right in a few, games.
Speaker 4: Right when they lose, it when they, lose when they lose in the in the N C DOUBLE a, tournament it'll we'll chock it up to you to one of those.
Speaker 2: Three, one, yeah one of those.
Speaker 5: Three. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah well, yeah If caleb, Doesn't caleb is gonna have to show every, game you.
Speaker 2: Know and that's a lot of pressure on that.
Speaker 3: Guy, YEAH i think do you, think, guys do you think he likes that pressure because he shows up sometimes Like, ashue he doesn't show up for the big.
Speaker 2: Games. Efford, SURE i think HE'S i think he likes.
Speaker 4: IT i think he enjoys, it but he does he doesn't always seem to respond to it or, deliver As matt, said to deliver on. It and that's gonna be you, know because we talked about THE x, factor, RIGHT i still think it's.
Speaker 2: Him if they don't have, him they're gonna have a tough time. Winning, Yep, Okay i'm kind of going your, way maybe a Little, okay we gotta, go ye, okay we'll go and come. Back we got break the news and then we Have Kelly peters on the other.
Speaker 5: Side