Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: They're good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Iron the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is my Tuesday guy, Dave Silver and we got our guy Ryan as well, my Tuesday guy. Good afternoon, gentlemen. Do you want to continue to beat a dead horse? What's what's that? What's the horse? It's a horse that got beat by Texas Tech. Oh okay, save a horse, rad a cowboy.
Speaker 3: Pretty impressive performance for them to come into town and do what they did. Was it that or was it the other way around where the other guys couldn't got the turnover graituation right?
Speaker 2: You know, I think I think you can bring up a point, whether it's by accident or whatever. But you're right because it takes two right two teams. Texas Tate played pretty well. Texas Tech and what I say, I don't know Texas State, that's what is out like Texas Tech plaid pretty well. That side is not being ignored by those who know UH and Arizona didn't play that well, but you know the Texas had to play well to get to to get the win. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the Wildcats had those turnovers, and especially was sad because it was a couple of their best players who've been so good for the last few years. Kind of a shame it came down to that, right, But yeah, you can't have turnovers, and that's basically what cost them the game because they had more yards, they had the ball a lot longer, they just could not convert and obviously they were just kicking field goals most of the game instead of scoring touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, no, I brought the two guys up. You know, when you can't rely in your guarantees, it's trouble. The capes were not there with with t Mac and the loop, right, you kind of depend on them. What you messed up? That never happens. Yeah, and Noah.
Speaker 3: But two interceptions interceptions the three key guys. Yeah, those because Arizona's counted on all all along the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: And maybe you think, if you're an Arizona fan, it's a one off. But that's not the disheartening part of this concerning part uh is the is the the thought that he said that they don't even know what they're doing running. Yeah, you know, it's like the three students, whyse guy, you know how they go in those in those directions. Yeah, and he kind of explained it a little bit more. But everybody's doing it apparently, and they're gonna have to fix that sooner than later. But you've been here longer than me, Dave. You've lived it, you've seen it, you've kind of defend it in your your capacity of being working for the UBI. That and I say this a thousand times. People are probably listening to shut up Steve. When they don't expect to win, they get it. When you don't know what's going to happen, they lose it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of the beauty of sports, especially at Arizona in the last fifty years. It seems like those games that they don't always expect to get the victory. They'll go out to USC and win a football game, right a b YU this week, and who knows what's going to happen to Utah? Go to Utah and do what they did a couple of weeks ago. So it's it's it's kind of the nature of sports. I'm sure Texas Tech probably, who knows how they felt coming in They were had a good record, they were underdogs and you know they held their own right.
Speaker 2: No, and there's no better team that's an underdog than Arizona. We're also no worse team as a favorite, yeah, than Arizona. Well. The funny thing too, I guess I know.
Speaker 3: I think it was Brian Peterson and one of the local guys mentioned how yeah we have He's talked about how they that was the number one twiss that loss after they beat a top ten time, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: We talked to that was the number one tweet and I told her that that was the tweet of the night because it's true. Let me tell you if you did that for basketball as basketball, guess what you'd find the same thing. How in the world do you explain ninety seven and then come back and say, how do you explain ninety eight? Yeah? Same difference, Yeah, same same situation.
Speaker 3: When you're when you are the favorite team and you've knocked off all kinds of you know, good teams ahead of that, and then all of a sudden you turn around laying egg. It's just kind of kind of the nature of sports sometimes, especially when you're dealing with you know, eighteen to twenty two.
Speaker 2: Year olds, right right, I think it happens as you get older. But you're right. I mean, I think the big head, we can get this, don't worry, we can do this, don't worry. And then what happens, Well, you start to worry when you're down by ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, they had their chances, and they did make a nice comeback and actually take the lead, and then it just kind of evaporated there when they really had a chance to put them away. So yeah, you know, hopefully they'll learn from this and we'll forget about it and see what happens in the next month or so.
Speaker 2: So I said this history, So, Dave, how many learning lessons do you need six weeks in? Yeah, I don't know. I sound like a coach. I don't know. They well, that's the ya all, they'll learn from this. Well, really, how do you know for sure that they're going to learn from this? I think you were with me last week and I said, I said to Mike yesterday and the week before. Okay, they're they're three and two, four and two? What are they? What? I three and two. Whatever? Do you trust this team? Do you trust going into last week? Do you trust this team? Paid three mediocre games, got beat by badly by Kenn State, then they paid really well against you Testes. So you have that in front of you. It's like a racing form, right, Okay, okay, maybe this horse can do it. And you think, I don't know if I want to put my money on this horse, you know, raging Bull, because I don't think he's a rage here, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Caught me off guard this week. I think everybody in the stadium was excited. He was the The eight pm starting time made made things for a very long night. I mean I was actually there. I have to admit I stayed until the last turnover for the There was like a minute and a half to go. They still scored another touch.
Speaker 2: That's good, but.
Speaker 3: Anyway, yeah, I mean it was it was a long night and I think everybody, I think the majority of the people there had high hopes going in and sure the way it was, They're coming off, you know, one of their biggest wins in a while, and you know, home game got a lot ahead of them though, got homecoming and on a family weekend and ASU, so there's still a lot more to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't trust this team. I don't. I just don't not. You know, I am a racing form guy. You look at the past performances and doesn't give you hope that they're going to do well. And they could prove me wrong, of course, because you have upsets and all that stuff. But if they win this weekend, that too won't shock me.
Speaker 3: Right, right, I mean they're going up there. I assume there is. I haven't even looked at the spread.
Speaker 4: What for?
Speaker 2: That's it? Wow?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, so that's that's good.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Fox Sports is going to be there with their right or whatever they call their show, Big Big Big Noon Kickoff or something.
Speaker 2: That's interesting that they picked that game. Yeah, well, yeah, you're right. With all the other games going on, maybe ESPN had control of the other ones. Yeah, because you're right. This weekend's a huge weekend with Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, State State. Yeah, and that's just a couple of them, Mississippi.
Speaker 3: This was a weekend a lot of people have been talking about coming, you know, into the season, like, wow, look at the slate of game. So you know, Arizona getting some good, good coverage. They'll be in on on Fox all by themselves, not at eleven o'clock Eastern time.
Speaker 2: Well pm, we'll see if it's let's see if it's good coverage, because I don't know if you want to see them, because if they don't show up, they're gonna say what's up with that? And then they did the other night when they've been on Friday Night in ESPN. This this team was right. They had the whole nation nation watching that, right, right, and I think the whole nation kind of turned away at the halftime a little after halftime. Yeah, so we'll see. And I don't want to poop pull them all the time, but but after performances like that, what else can we say? I mean, honestly, this is what we do in this business. You kind of evaluate, you know, the Monday morning quarterback, the Tuesday morning quarterback or afternoon quarterback. What do you say? What was what was good? What good came out of it? Loop?
Speaker 3: Well, Loop was was really good until who's that? Until until well he missed one late and that kind of I forget that would have put Arizona head by what five? Maybe I can't remember. Exactly what the circumstance was. That would have been a big one.
Speaker 2: What the hell do I know? Couldn't even say Texas dead.
Speaker 3: Just I mean, I was like flashing back to Dick Tony all those Well he was great kickers.
Speaker 2: Here, well yeah, plus but he was a master of executive what we're talking about, go in, beat the team, come back upset. You don't even know how we had George mala Ulu on that and it happened a few times. Yeah, you covered it back then. That was, Yes, these unexplainable losses and unexplainable wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we all Arizona also had that, and you know, unbelievable defense too, going in those shores where you know they they just weren't going to give up more than you know, twenty points maybe, so the offense didn't have to do all.
Speaker 2: That much right, and they didn't. They didn't.
Speaker 3: But you know, George was good in those years. I'm trying to remember. There was with the Bobby Waters mala Ulu period, I.
Speaker 2: Think, but Bobby Waters will that's nineteen eighty seven, my first year Bobby Waters road running veal Ulux trick Levy came in right after him. Hockey he met, He mentioned him Johnson, there's a lot of especially those early mid nineties when they were you know, the desert's warm and they played really well. Those are a long time. That's thirty years ago, Son, and more than that, they're all thirty about it, old man, and people still wish for those days. Yeah, it's come like basketball, well never when well, never when? Come on? And how many how old do you have to be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys don't sticker stick around in basketball? At least in football they still have. They usually usually they stayed at least a couple of years now, but in basketball, not so much, no more.
Speaker 2: Not so much. So. So if you're out doing your old job, which you were doing before, working for or for a group, right, tell me what? Yeah, which which? Which college is social behavioral Sciences? Okay, and let's go even before that where you went to the foundation? That foundation? So would it be tough because everyone talks the sports is the front ports of.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, oh definitely. I mean if I'm on going on a trip and I'm going to visit alumni any where, I'm as a sports person, I'm always looking at what it's just happening. What's the news of the because you know you're going to be asked exactly and I can bring it up and I can talk about it, and I can talk about my my background or experience or if I'd been at that particular game. But so it was definitely something, and there were there's other things that I enjoyed other than.
Speaker 2: Just talking sports with people too.
Speaker 3: I love just talking about Tucson and what's going on here with with you know, downtown. I mean literally Downtown changed when I was in that job, to the point where you're talking to a lums who went to school here and said, oh, we never used to go to downtowns and now everybody goes downtown.
Speaker 2: It's a great place. And you're you're a pragmatic guy, nice guy, perfect for that job where you're not going to say, yeah, they suck, you know you don't. You're not going to be honest, not honest, you don't really forth right with them.
Speaker 3: It depends on who I'm talking to. I mean a lot of them, you know, they're they're diehards. I mean, I have to admit, Arizona lums really care and they pay attention no matter where they are. And I was lucky enough to travel literally from coast to coast. I mean, I'm on the East Coast, and people are, you know, of course, complaining about the game times, and I mean that's just the way it works. There's not going to be too many early starts, and so they're used to staying up late and watching them play, and they're they're school So.
Speaker 2: You travel a lot. To me, I don't think I've asked you this since you've been on the show. I guess you have at least a mind view of where the alums are here a lot, obviously, Phoenix some yes, Southern California yes, and then where else in the country.
Speaker 3: Well, the Bay Area is big, Seattle's big, and all all the big cities in the West, Denver is large, Portland, Dallas, Houston, Chicago. I mean really all the big cities have there's like almost three hundred thousand living alums around the world. Well, I went there everywhere, So this is the nextico because you know, I'm in the nonprofit business as well somewhere else. So of the three hundred thousand lums, how many of them contribute?
Speaker 2: That's that's a good question.
Speaker 3: It's probably I probably don't have that answer that I could give you.
Speaker 2: But it's it's not a large number because I think in the nonprofit genre or area, it's anywhere from twelve to eighteen percent.
Speaker 3: I was going to say it might even be less. So it's it's interesting. I don't I don't want to be quoted on that. I mean, we can check that number next time maybe, but it's not a big number.
Speaker 2: I mean, and it's the same it's the same people.
Speaker 3: That's that's the case too, And so our job was really to uncover new people. That that's really the part, you know, because of the big donors are kind of exposed already and know who they are. But that's kind of the part of the game is finding people who are interested in whom who have a passion for something that the UFA is doing. And it's very surprising sometimes when you start talking to someone you think, oh, this guy was a you know, a history major.
Speaker 2: And he's going to give to the history department.
Speaker 3: Next thing you know, he's you know, he wants to give to cancer or he wants to give to athletics.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was it was an interesting process. So I'm Joe, Joe, Joe millionaire or one thousand thousand are and I see my phone. Dave Silver's coming to town. Oh damn it. Did you ever get did you ever get some? God? I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't have any more money to give day. Oh yes, did you feet? Every excuse? Every you hear all the stories. It's just part of the part.
Speaker 2: Of the job. So so sorry, I can't meet with you for dinner, right? Is that what I'm paying? And I'm paying for it. But that's just how that's how it works. You timeshare people. No, yeah, it's almost No, it's not that bad.
Speaker 3: I mean the fact that they we know that they're interested in the school. They went to the school and graduated, so we know there's some interest. So I'm not just sure you don't just walk in as a total complete stranger.
Speaker 2: No, they know you're but.
Speaker 3: They want to They want to know and they understand. People understand philanthropy.
Speaker 2: You cut the tail end or the beginning of You were at the tail end of the beginning of nil. Did you see that there was not a conflict but an issue because now you're seen the money over here, and then people are starting to go into that he's got pockets.
Speaker 3: Yeah again, I wasn't really how do I put this like day to day. I wasn't really concentrating on athletic money. I mean it sometimes would come in, but there were a few donors every so often who would ask me, who is this group that's contacted me. They're not are they with the U of A or are they some organization? So that question was popping up.
Speaker 2: In the last year or so. There was an inter twenty yeah whatever, that intermingling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, for people who have been giving consistently to campus or to athletics or somewhere and all of a sudden, you know, is this the same thing or is this different?
Speaker 2: So there was some explanation that needs to be done. Oh, we got to take a break. But last quick question. Did it become territorial from like guys like you with people like from the U Sports Athletic Department. No, I mean know what I'm saying. Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 3: If I'm well, I mean, if there's a donor that's going to give to athletics, I need to work with the athletics people.
Speaker 2: My colleagues there, so we were all together on the same boat.
Speaker 3: But I would discover people they would alway say, hey, wait a second, this is a person who's been given to athletics and now he wants to give to journalism. So they would call me because I was supporting journalism. So that's kind of how it works.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got to go take a Breakreen and get back with our first guests. Rhino. Mister Ryan Hansen, you know, one of the guys in the rido for the Wildcats. We'll talk basketball first and then in the second hour we're going to talk to Lamont Tonney talking more football. So welcome.
Speaker 5: Your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Deposit. That's deposit enter in right now, Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 6: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort, Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 7: Yaki try The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of Instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona?
Speaker 8: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Lead manage and exercise equipment On twenty.
Speaker 8: Second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: School and a false sports season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose from, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street.
Speaker 2: At Nova Home Loans.
Speaker 10: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpei is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona k Ninez two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to Lyndri syncredit rates and available loan program or subject to change the don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 2: And trading card games.
Speaker 9: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Breedway and discover white collectors everywhere showtime cars for their passion.
Speaker 11: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than memory. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score.
Speaker 2: You can borrow better with peremid.
Speaker 11: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 12: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen. Go to azpass dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about Is you flip the home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thou five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 5: Breaking down all the epsys and ohs. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Ding the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is Dave Silver, not Ryan at the control room. And now we have Ryan Hanson, the aero Zona basketball men's basketball radio analyst. How are you Ryan?
Speaker 4: Good to hear from you, guys, Dave, How are you man?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 4: How you doing good?
Speaker 1: To chat?
Speaker 4: You know, I love talking Arizona basketball with Steve and I'm glad you're joining the crew here we can chat it up because it's getting close. Paul is not in the air, boys, but yet I'm feeling basketball that's in the air.
Speaker 13: Well.
Speaker 2: We hope that your voice, that voice of yours, is not dry from the heat. But you should get ready here in a couple of weeks. Right, I'm sure you're like me. You've been around a long time and I can't remember. And sometimes they ask me, so, how's this Arizona basketball team going to look? I can't remember if I've ever said they're not going to be any good?
Speaker 4: Right, Oh, there's no doubt. There's talent, right, there's experience, there's talent. There's next level talent on this team. I think they are going to be a very good team. Can they be great? I mean, it's another year Steve and Dave that we talk about. Okay, this team's gonna win a lot of games, There's no doubt about it. With the conference change, they're probably lose more than they have in the recent past, at least under Tommy Lloyd. Based on the challenge of the schedule. That's okay. I think it's going to make them more battle tested for the tournament. The question remains, how deep can this team go? Are they built for a second weekend win versus a second weekend loss that we saw last year and now two times in the last three years. That those are the questions that this team that's we love, right, It's not a can this team make it to the tournament? I think there's a no doubt in my mind this is a tournament level team. Are they a second weekend team that has what it takes when things are going right to get to that ever elusive final four that Tommy Lloyd wants that there's on a basketball fans are so dying to have coming off of what now will be twenty four years removed from their last final four, A.
Speaker 2: Lot of new guys, a lot of guys coming back.
Speaker 3: This is an interesting kind of a transition year that you lose, you know, couple of guys who go to the NBA, but then you still keep a kleb love. What do you think of the makeup? Just generally, say, the top eight guys on this team, as you mentioned, is this a team that can you know, get into week number two of the tournaments?
Speaker 4: I think the top eight is exceptionally good. You've got three really good perimeter players, maybe the best defensive perimeter Arizona has had in the years. When you look at what Jaden Bradley and kJ Lewis do defensively, Kaled Love has been an improved defender. He's got the physical tools to be a very good defender. Does he have the mental makeup That's the next level for him to be an impactful defender. I think that length will be exceptional and will cause other teams problems the interior. It's going to be a difference. It's going to be a change. Arizona is not used to, you know, playing basketball without a new Marballo in the low block in a couple of years. But does that create some different opportunities for Arizona on both ends of the floor, primarily on the defensive end. Can they be more versatile defensively versus what you had with Umar Ballo where you had to defend ball screens in the same way regardless of the personnel. Because Umar couldn't hedge out, he couldn't play twenty five and thirty feet from the basket. He was better suited hanging in the lane area in what's called drop coverage. Well, can you be more aggressive? Can you be more assertive defensively? To change things up. I love those ideas. Now we'll see if they can deploy that. But from a personnel standpoint, Dave, I love the perimeter. I have some question marks though, and I think one of the questions is when you get past that eight man rotation, does Arizona have firepower coming off of the bench on the perimeter? My take, Steve probably agrees with this. Dave, you've watched Arizona and you've watched college basketball going on. You know, I don't want to date you, but I think you know you're looking at what three to four decades full of college basketball coverage. One thing remains means true guard play wins in the tournament. You have to have playmakers. You have to have players that can knock down shots, can get to the rim, they can finish in traffic. And it can't just be your starting two guys in the back court unless they're Damon in Kalid. You know, you have to have uber elite talent if you're only going to rely on two or three guys. Does Arizona have firepower coming off the bench. Can Carter Bryant give you perimeter game early in his career. I think ultimately he's a swing man. He's a three man in the NBA, But can he give that to you in his first year? You're going to have to have that level of talent and an explosive offensive skills to get Arizona over that hump. That's just kind of my sorry when I rambled a lot there, but that's my two cents as of today.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks were running out of time here, Thanks for joining us. No no, no, no, no, so Ry, let me let me go break that down a little bit. So I went to the Red Bue game, and I'm thinking pretty much what you're thinking. So I'm watching and I'm loving the backcourt with with Bradley and Love and kJ okay, so and I agree with you, And I was gonna write this story and I probably save it for later. They kind of remind me of Khalid, Damon and Reggie, right, you three guys, three headed monster. And then then I can go back and you know Bibby Bibby Miles and Dickerson. Dickerson's a lot like kJ. I think that, you know, Athletic can get get get a score if they want to or if they have to. And I might be stretching that thought, but those threes some and you talked about that the best rereats some in a while, and I think you're about right there where I'm at. I like it a lot. Do they need the bench? I don't know to fit those three Maybe a guy who fills in every now and again. But I remember this in nineteen ninety eight, uh, and this these guys were good, you know, Miles and Bibby and Dickerson and j T as the other guy, and this guy Majeris comes in. I have something that I have something on my sleeve. Yea. And you're thinking, I'm covering this and writing this all year saying there's no way one guy foss, there's no way another guy fass. You have a third guy who's going to come help. If two guys fall, you have a third get it's going to come around. Well, then you have a Utah game. All the fell apart and then you were screwed. So if that happens, Arizona screwed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that can happen, right, that might be one in a million, maybe not a million, but one in a thousand that that actually happens on any given night that you have four NBA perimeter players all go cold in the same day in the same game against a crazy triangle in two. But I just feel like you can never have enough firepower at the guard spot right for a deep run in the tournament, and some of the question marks that it remains to be seen. But boy, I liked what I saw in the Red Blue out of Anthony del Orso. I like his shooting stroke. The question, Steve, you and I have had this conversation, probably more so off the air than on, but let's have it on the air. Will Tommy Lloyd play a shooter that's got sized but not necessarily the athletic ability of a kJ Lewis at the three spot? Will he get the time that Paulius Morowskis didn't get? Will he get the time that Philip Boribech didn't get? You know, is del Orso closer to Pella Larsen or is he closer to Paulius Morowskis or somewhere in between? And my I've watched practice a handful of times with the new guys. I haven't you know, I saw the Red Blue game. Sit It's it's not like the sample size is big enough for us to make definitive statements. Here, but there is a drop off in defensive ability from kJ Lewis to Anthony Delarso. That's that, I think is a statement most people would agree with. And it's not, you know, I'm not blowing up del Orso's game, But will Tommy give del Orso the necessary minutes and the opportunity to span himself and be good enough defensively to not be a liability because it appears offensively he could be that potential game changer that could come in and just stretch the floor, knock down shots, create an opportunity where Caleb Love now gets better looks because you can't come off of del Orso. He's going to knock down a shot. So does that create opening looks for other players? Does that give tobeya Waka an opportunity in the low block to be more effective because the defense has to account for a three point shooter? Or is Tommy so concerned about the defense that you give up by not having your best defenders on the floor that he doesn't give del Orso enough time to develop. Just Trey Townsend, is he not as effective because he's not Keyshad Johnson defensively? But guess what he's also not keyshad Johnson Offensively, He's going to give you a lot more potentially and more at least variable offense, more and more things offensively, least on paper than what I think we saw Key shot for the better part of his one year at Arizona. So these parts are really interesting to me that Tommy's got to maybe look at things a little differently based on the personnel that he put together.
Speaker 2: Just before you ask this question, I just want to make a comment. You and I have spent too much time together, because exactly what you're saying is as exactly what I've been thinking, especially with the the Orso and the guys who left because they didn't get enough time Tommy will see you later, thanks.
Speaker 4: Right, and didn't develop to be able to be relied upon you insignificant minutes in the postseason, so they didn't get those chances. I think del Orso might be in a different position because of his experience in the college game, where the guys I'm looking to are international players that were freshmen or sophomore in Philip or Beach in his case, didn't get that opportunity. Well, del Orso, He's at least played him high level college athletes and has had to figure out defensively how he can make it work with a you know, I don't want to say he's limited athletically, He's not. He's a good athlete. He's just not kJ Lewis and who is at this point. I mean we're comparing him to you know, maybe the best athlete on the floor for Arison, A best defender perimeter wise, you know he is. He's up there with Dylan Terry. He's an incredible perimeter defender. So no knock on del Orso because of that. But we'll see how Tommy allows del Orso to impact the game. I think he could be an impact.
Speaker 3: Player though you know they lose bollow and then they also return, you know, Crevis and who knows about Henry this year? What do you what about the big guys? How do you think will they will fare? You know in the in the low post? Is there going to be Are they good enough defensively? Are they good enough offensively to compete?
Speaker 4: Good questions, Dave, because when I look offensively, it's a little bit different. You know, on the air last year I said Mr Bollo did his work early, Motias Crevis did his work late and What I mean by that is, if umar Bollo could bury you in the post, he would get one foot from the rim, it was over. But if he was off the block, you really didn't want him having to make multiple moves to score. Where Crevis does his work late after he catches it. He's so skilled, he's got better footwork. He's got moves off the low block off of either hand, so you can throw it in the low block on either side and feel confident with his back to the basket. He's going to make a great move. He's just not an above the rim guy, so he's going to have to be able to finish with athletes on the offensive ent. I think that to me's probably a wash. You lose a little bit with Bollow's ability to bury you, but you gain a little bit more like late clock. Throw it in the low block to Crevus and let him work. He's going to require double teams in the low block if he's off the block, where with Ballow they just let him operate off the block defensively. Let's shift defensively. Ariz gonna lose his rim protection, There's no doubt about it. With follow they lose rim protection with Keisha Johnson. So they're going to have to defensively do some things a little differently in the low block. I believe from my seat. I'm not the head coach, but I think they're going to have to be a little more creative with how they defend in and around the rim. Henry Vasar, how he contributes. Does Emanuel Steven get time because of his ability to defend the rim? I think I think he could be an X factor, Dave. If I look at this roster in the makeup, Emmanuel Stephen could be a rim protector. He could be a rim runner for you on pack and roll opportunities. He's going to run the floor as well as any of the bigs. And you don't need him to score when you have Jaden and Caleb and kJ and let's just throw Trey Talonsen in there. That's enough offense that he could be the fifth option offensively, but he could be a difference maker sensibly.
Speaker 2: So how he.
Speaker 4: Develops could become an interesting player. You know, at this stage, Steve, it's unfair for us to say this guy's the X factor. If this guy plays well, Arizona's going to make a run because there's too many guys right now that we don't know enough about, and I've thrown out all the names. If Carter Bryant has an incredible freshman year, he could be the X factor. If Anthony del Orso has an incredible year because he gets time and he's knocking down three, that's an X factor Arizona that hasn't had. But because of the makeup of the post players. If Emmanuel Steven has a year that we didn't anticipate, or Henry Bassar can show us what he was supposed to be when he was recruited. Now you have a stretch four that's seven feet tall knocking down jump shots. Oh I kind of like that in a different rotation. There's a lot of good questions, right These aren't like concerning questions. I think they're exciting questions that will learn in time.
Speaker 2: To me, one last question got about a minute the right So the three some in the back, that's my biggest not concerned the best story I think right now. But let me ask you, is this team better than last year? Is this team better than two years ago? And is this team better than the first year? I have my thoughts because, yeah.
Speaker 4: Your question is is this Tommy Lloyd's best team, I guess is what you're saying, maybe in a nutshell this is a cop out to say it's too early to tell. The challenge is is you have you have an e merging NBA All Star on Tommy's first team and Ben Mathren? Who do we have a Ben Mathron? And Caleb Love could be the big shot maker. So I do think you've got a guy like that who hopefully will be even more efficient this year than he was last year, which he was an improved efficient offensive player. Defensively, I think this could be a terror defensively from a team you don't have to cover up a kerk Present and what he gave you offense was wonderful, but what he lacked defensively you don't have to cover him up. With these three perimeter players. That's a big lag up as far as I'm concerned, I think potentially you have more versatility in the post than you had with Umar Balo. If Motias Kratus can be healthy and give you what you would expect out of him, I think the complimentary post players could be more impactful than what we've had in the recent past. So the ceiling of this team could be Tommy's best team. It would be my take at this point.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Reno as always, appreciate you. That's a grace. Love it.
Speaker 4: Here we go. It's October May. Time for some moves.
Speaker 2: Get that voice rested. Who are ready for you? All right? Thank you? Madie Here, guys, thanks, let's take a break. We're just a slight little bit over. But that was fun. That was good. Thank you. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 13: Hi, this is formal wild get Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of caudio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training.
Speaker 2: To get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 13: Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot.
Speaker 2: Arizona Health the lean to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule, with over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 2: Hey youson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, Then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 15: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World We're All Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebelspoker dot com.
Speaker 5: Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio WI. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why on the Ball. Here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, you're Dave Silver, I am to somebody else, I know who you are. And we got Ryan at the booth. Uh, just real quick, and this is a I know what people ask me, how you're doing busy as all hell because there's sports like everywhere coming out. You know, you have the men's basketball winen's basketball, you have football, you have other sports going on, high school sports. This was probably the the hectic time of year for you when you were back in the biz.
Speaker 3: How about last night if you were a sportscaster in Kansas City, the Royals and the chiefsports at the same time.
Speaker 2: But those are nights that didn't happen too often here.
Speaker 3: But occasionally there was a football basketball situation on the same day. I can remember one specifically in Las Vegas when men's basketball played earlier in the day and then the Bowl.
Speaker 2: Game was in Las Vegas later. Yeah, that was a fun, fun day.
Speaker 3: But yeah, in professional sports, I guess it just depends on what's going on. And with baseball playoffs rolling along with the Royals kind of being a new or I guess not new, but back in the playoffs for the first time in a while, right, And of course the Chiefs are a marquee game, so I'm sure the Chiefs wiped him out in the ratings.
Speaker 2: Football does that, right, But right, well, don't forget about missus Swift or miss Swift. She was she was there. She was there and you know, and her Man had a big game. So did he did he? I didn't watch that closely, did he?
Speaker 3: Well, if you catch I hate to say, I know in the first half he did.
Speaker 2: I don't know. The guys in the in the office here he said, I think the over under was fifty eight yards. Oh he had to have more than that, did he? Oh? So he was over because he hadn't played well or da hadn't thrown to the ball that much to this point, because they're saying, what's one, what's up? I think he had like eight catches in the first half, really, so he was Were they for what like twenty yards? Yeah? So we'll see. But they're one of the better teams. I don't think they're gonna win it all though, But let me tell you to last weekend. Don't believe anything I say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm in one of these survival pools, you know, And you get three strikes.
Speaker 2: I was out in week four. I was gonna say, I was gonna say, you either are dead or you're barely surviving. Yeah, because that second week was disaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and last week this past week was bad too, with the Giants winning in Seattle. That was a big shocker that wiped out half our league again.
Speaker 2: So right, so how many did you start with?
Speaker 3: Oh, man, we're I think we have somewhere around maybe seventy five. Okay, it's a big league. So now that one weekend was just carnage.
Speaker 2: I joined one four years ago. I loved the Bills at that time. They lost their first game or so, I'm never gonna get it one again. But there's a friend of mine has one for like one hundred and fifty six people. By the second week it only had like twenty.
Speaker 3: It goes fast, I mean there are I mean literally, because everyone's kind of picking the same teams that, oh yeah, it's gonna be guaranteed.
Speaker 2: To go to them, spread line all ten points and that's the team. Yeah. So I'm actually in two, so I'm still alive in one of them.
Speaker 3: So I picked the suddenly wonderfully successful Washington Commanders who have kind of come out of nowhere. So I had them this past week and Jade and Daniels having quite the rookie season. I don't think anybody really saw that coming. Although I mean, you know, Heisman Trophy winners, I guess you're good. And Washington has not been good.
Speaker 2: For how many years? Oh yeah, forever? At least the Redskins forever. You know, well, I think even more so the Cowboys, you know, because the Cowboys and Indians or the you know, the Redskins were that team, those two rivalries, and back in the day, they were fantastic. Yeah. Now both haven't been good in the London, right, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this quarterback's good, and you know, other team's been pretty inconsistent. Philadelphia has been a little inconsistent. And the Giants, who knows, the surprise they get a win in Seattle, so that that division's uh, you know, kind of up for grabs, as is the West.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: With the Cardinals winning a game on the road in Santa Clara was pretty pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't believe they lost that game. The forty nine ers they were driving. I went to somewhere some event that the four almost three three thirty and they were driving to score and put the game away. And I got to my place and they had already fumbled and Arizona I had taken the lead. Yeah, I'm thinking what did I do? What did I Where did I leave? And I didn't listen to on the radio because I said it's over. Well it wasn't over, man, Yeah, crazy, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Kelsey had nine catches, Travis nine catches, seventy yards.
Speaker 2: Oh so he made it. He made it?
Speaker 12: What was he?
Speaker 2: What was he? Fifty eight? I think? Okay, so we got over that. Okay. So I just reminded. Oh, I have to remind myself though. I have to put some stuff on the board for the trip to to Del Soul. We're gonna be there on Thursday. Uh So go visit us if you can three to five. Uh Jay and I we're gonna make our picks there and we're gonna bs what we do? You know about these things that are going on? Maybe some have some on air guests live, So go visit us. There's a lot of things to do down there. Where are you gonna be set up? We're gonna be in the sports bar. So once you walk into the sports bar, take a rite and you will be right there canvas us. It should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Hey, you guys will be on. There's got to be what the Thursday night game is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why we're doing it just right before the Thursday night games to kind of promote what they're doing. So we'll see what happens. Let me give a couple of shout outs to the Casino Del Soul people from this. From the moment you first walk into Casino del Soul, you'll greet it. You'll be greeted by a diverse and robust selection of restaurants that cater to any craving you may have. From award winning Py Steakhouse in the laid Back Diner of Mobis and the and the laid Back Dinner of movies. Discover the latest, the latest taste of see how Dell sold during your next visit. A lot of good food there you you've been there a few times. Pizza, steaks, Umoe Umi.
Speaker 3: Umi uomy, but definitely Moby's. Spend a Mobey's. Yeah, big fan of that place. Yeah, Belitas, A lot of good places to eat. They have the cosmic Bingo Bingo on Friday the Spa. Moby says, seasonal selections for a lot of different tastes and varieties of food. So we'll be there on Thursday. We'll be there once a month. Actually this month will be there twice because we didn't go in September. We had been looking forward to this and then Jay comes back for this. You know, of course she's not his.
Speaker 2: Return to because the casino. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, so this he's he can't wait. We've been talking about it today. So I hope to see you there. Probably making another announcement on the other side of the hour if you got h We've got about six seven minutes, right, Yeah, take some calls if you want to give us a call. Five two oh four one, six seventy four forty talk about hoops, talk about football, whatever you decide. I did a story for a biz twus son It just came out here on Snoop Dogg. We'll talk about that. But also did a story on the new media rights thing. You were aware of what you know exactly what's going on there. Probably a little bit. We should have talked to Ryan about that. Oh yeah, yeah, but he's kind of he's yeah, he's okay, and he's not really involved in the behind the scenes stuff, and there was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I never was really really either myself. I mean we were when I was in the media, we were totally separate from the u of A. When it came to that, they kind of did their own thing.
Speaker 2: But what's oh went back in the mid eighties, well.
Speaker 3: No, even even later, I mean there were there was always some you know, an independent group kind of inside athletics handling the media.
Speaker 2: Media.
Speaker 3: Wait, there was what was it IMG like that, Yeah, which was really separate from the local stations. You know, there wasn't even much and they still were. They still were, Yeah, So I don't know. So with this now, what do they call themselves? There is an sports or properties right, and they're betting on themselves.
Speaker 2: They thinking that they can raise just as much money as the previous regime and just do it better locally, because I think they realized that eighty four or eighty five percent of the money was coming from inside the house locally, and they can go after more possibly and they can make a lot more money down the road rather than having a middleman. Yeah, take some of it. I don't know. It's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean because so many of the universities around the country are tied into like lear Field or one of those right people, and so Arizona was for a long time, right, so this is going to be something new.
Speaker 2: Well, the one thing, the one thing that desire has come in and she's made some changes. And I'm not going to alb alibi her or whatever. But if Dave Silver took the job as a D, Steve Rivera took the job as a D, guess what you'd have to do. Their deficit is fantastically huge. Yeah, there's people that have been here for a while. What do you have to do but make changes? Honestly, it's it's sad. I mean it really is.
Speaker 3: Sure we know those people, that's for sure. Got to give her some credit though. I mean, I was at the game on on Saturday. It was warm and I think it was military nights, so there was a number of military uh people being presented on the field, and she was down there almost the entire first half. Here she is again with you know so and so from Davis Mont and she's she's out there and she's you know, in the public eye and she has to be.
Speaker 2: She's gonna she has to make friends. Yeah, and you you've been around a long time. This town almost requires it. You have to, you know, shake hands. His babies out there, and not just for eighties, I mean football coaches, basketball coaches. One of Shawn's biggest demises or bad decisions was not being out there. He was not a thatch. Feel the guy didn't get close to people.
Speaker 3: No, I mean you could see that from the very beginning. And that was a big difference between you know, his personality and Loot's. Lout was a master of that when he came in. You know, really for years and years he was at his golf tournaments or Mistern's place and doing commercials.
Speaker 2: He was out there. Did you were you still around with Sean like maybe two years, three years? Years? Yeah, a couple of years. Yeah, just very different how his approach was because he was not that you know, warm and fuzzy guy. I wrote that a few times. Uh, and and now you know someone was not either. We see how well that lasted. And now there's some thoughts that maybe Brennan is not that guy either. I've been talking Touchyphelia and going out and doing some I've seen some stuff on the internet. So he's a good guy. You could tell he's a good guy, very forth right, little little kind of by the book and what he says. Man. But but he's I guess he's not out there like many people think he should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you wonder what is going on behind the scenes and who's telling him you know, hey, you know, don't don't put yourself out there just yet, or maybe you know, win have a have a winning season where the fans, you know, have to kind of back you, and then you can, you know, go out there and set up things. But I mean that was one of the maybe it's just the day and age, but when Luke was doing that, I mean he was getting involved in so many different different charities and different moments where he would just and then later in life for him, he would be an ambassador for the U of A looking for the foundation, right, he.
Speaker 2: Had an office in there on Cherry and and.
Speaker 3: We'd go, hey, Luke, you know we're gonna do something in San Francisco, do you want to come up. I mean, he would get on a plane and he would be in a situation where he could shake hands and people love to say.
Speaker 2: H yeah, he was totally. He was totally And obviously I have had a friendship with him after covering him, and you probably did too. But he was not the same dude you covered, you know, and the players, and I wrote that in my book he was once you left the program as a player, you could kind of he was different. He would embrace you, he would bs with you, he would you know, tell you stories.
Speaker 3: Not that he wouldn't do it before, but not like this. Yeah, and he was pretty you know, he's perfect for Tucson too. At the time when he came here, and you know, the program had been you know, down and out for you know, a handful of years before he got here, and just you know, the timing was impeccable how that all played out, and you know, the success came early and never stopped and he just built his.
Speaker 2: Culture, right. I don't know if deep down I never asked him this, which I should have in some of my books, was that he if he did that because he was not a he was not a outgoing guy too, he wouldn't you know, he would do them. And I think he meant it when he did it. But did he do it because the fans were great to him early, you know, because he'd go out and say you better get your tickets now, or you're gonna miss out or whatever, and maybe his thanks to them to say, I appreciate you helping me out at the beginning. That's maybe me thinking too much as possible.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, there were those years early on too where he had chances to leave and he just kind of looked at the thing, the situation here and the fan base and the potential of Kentucky's stories in those years, and he just he turned his back on Kentucky and and stayed right.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons, at least the first time, was because Kentucky turned the back on Bobby didn't include her, and you know, the interviews or or whatever. I mean, they kept her kind of afar and when they brought him into the interview, and that was a no, no, ye back in I think it's eighty nine or whatever, aything like that. Yeah, And then the second time was saying, you know the pop up, you're not gonna leave, are you? With the young grand grand kids? Yes, you know you're not gonna leave us, are you? And how are you gonna not arena leave? After that, you know, you have grandkids. Yeah, yeah, Dave don't go, but Dave don't go Teddy Bear. So yeah, I mean that was again, it was just.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've you've dissected it in a number of books already, just how perfect it all kind of worked out, timing wise, and just continue to build already we.
Speaker 2: Got to go all those players, all right, Brian, what are you doing to me? I was gonna come up with a story here. We gotta go, We gotta breaking news on the other side.