Speaker 1: Debate, go through debate, sac services in a world of hurt right now Arkansas, New York City Mayor Eric Annadal fight every day happen fifty five KRS talk station Ato five here a fifty five KRC de talk station and very happy Friday Eve to you, Jay Ratliff at the bottom of the air. In the meantime, I'm always pleased to talk to Hamilton County Prosecutor. Let's keep her in that job. Melissa Powers. Welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show. Melissa Powers. It's always a pleasure speaking with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian. It's a pleasure to be here this morning.
Speaker 1: Well, and I will strongly encourage people to engage in the exercise that I recently engaged. In your website, POWERSFO Prosecutor dot com and there's a link that says meet Melissa, and it breaks down your background, your career, which is a long career in criminal justice. You started out in the prosecutor's office, you went in private practice. You're a judge, of course that's important. You're Hamilton County Prosecutor. And I'm always scratching the surface on this, but you have so much experience in this role and a demonstrably successful record in your role as Hamilton County Prosecutor. So we normally focus on you, your accomplishments and your record. Let us pivot over and look at what Connie Pileach is and what she certainly is not which is qualified for the job. Go to Connie Pillage dot com, look at meet Connie Pillach and find me something in her background that qualifies her to be Hamilton County Prosecutor. Let us begin with the fact that she's never prosecuted a single case in her life.
Speaker 2: Melissa, You're absolutely right, Brian. Qualifications do matter in this job is just so important. It impacts every person in Hamilton County, every neighborhood, and you just cannot take a chance on somebody that's never prosecuted a case, never prosecuted or even handled, a murder case, a case in juvenile court, an abuse neglect or dependent child case. These are all cases that my office handles, that I have experienced in over thirty two years in handling these types of cases, and we have to make sure that we get it right this November.
Speaker 1: For election well, and something that might not mean a whole lot to someone who's never practiced law. Let us use me as an example. This is my eighteenth year in radio. I haven't set foot in the courtroom. I was a litigation attorney on the civil side, but haven't set foot in the courtroom for the last eighteen years. She hasn't been in a courtroom in nearly twenty years now. I will be the first person to admit on the civil litigation side, I've forgotten more than I think I knew about the rules of civil procedure. To start practicing law after so much time would be a bit of an uphill challenge, I'll admit it. I'm not planning on doing it, but you do tend to lose touch with what the law is now versus what it was the last time you were in a courtroom under in any capacity. In twenty years is a long time. I imagine criminal law as well as the rules of criminal procedure have changed a little bit in that period of time.
Speaker 2: Melissa Powers, You're absolutely right, Brian. She has not been inside of a courtroom handling a criminal case in over twenty years, and so much has changed. If you think back in your own personal life, just look at yourself one that we're using, how different, the types of bones in twenty years, the technology that most of our cases now have come with, gigabytes of technology software, the GPS downloading body camor and cameras. I mean, it is just an immense amount of information that's just on the evidence side. But then you look at all the rule changes and the case law changes. She's not up to date on any of this. She has not been practicing. She's not current. And when you try a murder case, you's got one shot at handling it properly. And if you make the mistake, the responsibility as a prosecutor, you're letting that person who when there is overwhelming guilt, to go free because you made a mistake. And we just can't afford to had that happen here. And if you think also, if you had to and to relate this to another area, if you need an open heart surgery, would you go to a surgeon that hasn't performed a surgeery in over twenty years? I mean, can you imagine? No? I mean, that's what we're dealing with here. The stakes are so high and the voters and your listeners, we need to get it right. Well.
Speaker 1: In the final explanation point, on her lack of qualification. She has never supervisor run in office of any size during her entire career.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, and this is this is like a large law firm that I'm managing, and I've been doing it successfully for the past twenty months since I became the prosecutor. And then when I was in juvenile quart I was the administrative judge. We had three hundred employees and a multimillion dollar budget that I had to balance at the same time. So I have a proven track record. I am am so qualified for this job. There has never been a prosecutor with my qualifications where they have experience and from every aspect from defense work, civil work, criminal law, and then also being a judge.
Speaker 1: Well, let's pivot over to her position on justice generally speaking, because my understanding is that in her record reflects that she has cited on the with the criminals and against the victims of crime, so for example, voting against funding for programs that would support victims of sexual abuse.
Speaker 2: She was a state rep for a number of years. I think it was six years. I'm not sure they have for a period of time, and this is what she's voting for, and she has shown who she is that she repeatedly sides with criminals and against victims of crime. In my job, in my career, I've been fighting for the voice of victims throughout my entire career and this job again more than ever. You are the voice for victims. You're bringing accountability, you're bringing justice. You want victims of crime, don't care if you're a Republican or a Democrat. They want resolution and what we have here, and especially on victims of sexual abuse. I mean, these are the ones that need the most attention, these types of cases, because this is the one this type of perpetrator out in the community causes the greatest harm along with other violent criminals.
Speaker 1: Well, is it also not true or is it true that as state representative, Connie Pillage voted against legislation that would have increased penalties for sex traffickers. That's become a real plague on our society. With the southern border open, we found these organized networks of sex traffickers and they're quite often exploiting children, which just brings bile up to the back of my throat.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, and she has voted against legislation that would have increased the penalties for sex traffickers and these you can't get a high enough penalty or strong enough penalty in my opinion. And anybody that exploits children, women, that hurts people, that is constantly as a predator in our community, and we want those people off the streets and behind bars for as long as possible.
Speaker 1: Well, And was she against school resource officers and as police officers that you try to, you know, create better relationships between schools and the police department as well as you know, are there on site in the event something crazy goes down like an active shooter.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right. And she was a state rep. She voted against legislation that would have allowed more officers to be in schools as resource officers to protect our children against mass shootings. But you know, you have to think that's pretty much a radical view of the progressive is that they don't want to militarize schools, but we do want our schools and our children to be protected. We do want to make these hard targets so that it is in the event and to prevent these types the tragedies.
Speaker 1: Well, and just the whole idea that I just find offense with that narrative militarizing schools. No, actually, that should be a sign that gives you comfort. A student who is concerned shouldn't look at a police officer and have this built in reaction and oh my god, that's a terrible person. That's the kind of propaganda and brainwashing the left instills in our children to make them have that reaction, when, of course, a child's better reaction will be, thank god, there's a police officer close by. I don't have to worry about a bad guy showing up and killing me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely right. I mean that's the way they view police officers, law enforcement. And it just shows her transparency. I think her positions that she's taken as a state rep and how she plans to run the office. I just want to make sure that our voters understand you have a clear choice here this November. We want to make sure that we are doing everything possible to keep every person, every neighborhood say no one should fear walking down the street, going to a mall, a grocery store, sporting event. I mean, we're having so much trouble with guns where people are bringing guns to these places and hurting and shooting other people. We want to make sure that we are voting for safety. And I think I'm the best qualified and the most qualified. I am the only choice that every citizen in every voter in the county should be making. This is not about politics. This vote, This vote is about your safety, your family safety. It should not matter if I'm a republic if you're a Republican, a Democrat, or an independent, you should be voting for safety and for the future of our county. We know what happens around the country when we see somebody that's unqualified in the position of a prosecutor or somebody that has a soft on crime view, and we see that she has both. She's not qualified. She didn't even maintain her law license. She said such a little interest and being a lawyer that she didn't even maintain her law license. Had to re enact it when she was co chair of the Democratic Party and decided that since they couldn't find anyone to run against me, she would throw her hat in the ring on this race. This is not a position that she's looking that she wants to do. I have a passion. I have served our community in this capacity. I have a passion. He a lot for our county, and I want to make sure that the future of our county is not just next week, it's for future generations to come.
Speaker 1: It's whether you're tough on crime or not. Most of the powers tough on crime. Countie Pillage, big question mark and a suggestion that she's not. I put you to the test. Connie Pillage dot com versus Powers for Prosecutor dot com. Go ahead and meet both of them. You compare the records. I don't think anyone could possibly come away unless they were so politically biased for Democrats versus Republicans, which has nothing to do with this race. Really, so everything about crime, But go ahead and compare the records. You will also conclude Melissa Powers needs to stay in the job, So Powers for Prosecutor versus Connie Pillage dot com. Check it out for yourself and make an informed decision. Hamild County Prosecute and Melissa Powers, thank you for protecting and serving our community in such a great capacity. We will hopefully keep you in that capacity and vote early for you as we fast approach November.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian. It's a private prep pleasure and a privilege to be here this morning to speak to everyone thank you.
Speaker 1: It is mine as well to have you on eight sixteen at fifty five kr S detalk station Jay Ratliffe coming up at the bottom of the hour. We'll have a little time for calls. If you have a comment you want to chime in, feel free five one, three, seven, four nine fifty five hundred, eight hundred eighty two to three talk pound five fifty on AT and T phones. I'll be right back after the break. Fifty five KRC For more information about con