Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome to Game Spot After Dark, episode two hundred.
Speaker 2: And forty nine.
Speaker 1: I sort of read this host this week, I'm trying something new, Kurt. I'm John Luke Sipeke your hosts this week it's the Pauzles.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Kurt Divina here for Game Spot after Dark. And I would I would like an echo when that happens, and a lot of reverb. Okay, I figure, like, you know we're in the process. Well, I mean you could do in post as we said, I said, I won't be doing that. Okay, well you could be doing that. I would like to imagine when we rebrand the show, which were there's an idea that I'm presenting to you right now. We're going to take it into the darkness. It's like we're going to take the entire vibe. It's Game Spot after Dark and then New Year like wind and howls. And that's when we started to talking about the darker side. It's just like lightning, and we start to tell the spookier, creepier side of of of of the gaming industry. Make it like a true crime podcast. I don't know what those are like. I don't I've never listened to. Usually it has people are like, Okay, we're here to talk about that guy. I feel like it's usually really bubbly personalities. I do it anyways. I'm not a bubbly personality. We're not gonna get that anyways. Thank you so much for letting me be here, of course. Yeah, thanks for being here.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, it's just me and this week on this uh fine, fine episode. Games about after Dark. Have you ever considered doing it by yourself? No, would you. I think I'd be terrible at that. I don't think I have the ability to. You could have sound bites by myself, I like I because I just I think I would just ramble and my sentences wouldn't be coherent enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you had a sound bird sound bird soundboard with bird sounds, it's like, every time I don't know what I'm saying, I just like hit a button and like yeah, okay, yeah we can do that. And that's and each one of them cuse a different segment, oh like like just like, oh new segment, yep, and it has to be a new segment every time. Oh okay, like he huh, like, oh oh my god.
Speaker 1: Here's a letter from the president, I have to come up with a bunch of segment from nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 2: Just read that. Yeah, yeah, here's what JFK was thinking, Like, here's what Hitler Clinton had to say about video games and ninety n I don't want to hear anything about with the Clintons had to say about video games or al Gore. He was the big one that was uh against video games. Anyways, that's that era. Ull.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we're here to talk about video games, non politic related video games.
Speaker 2: It's been one week since this last podcast gave me dirty look. See this is why you don't want me by myself. It would just be this the whole time. I mean, but I could kind of indulge in that. But if I have to sit across from you and wait for a fucking bare naked ladies, is that how the favorite fucking band of all time?
Speaker 1: What if I do it by myself but you have to sit in the room and watch me, I would do that, Okay, would create a different energy for you. You create a very different energy. I think I would, because I'd kind of be looking at you for like approval the whole time. I know which you just did, which I did? As I do that a lot, I'll like look at someone and be like, how are they feeling about what's being said? Oh no, let's pivot, let's change. Yeah, let's pivot away my soundboard. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what that means everyone.
Speaker 1: Here's here's the testimony from a court case in nineteen eighty six when Joe Smith exposed himself on the corner of Weed Street, Chicago, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Video games, video games. I've been playing a video game. I've been playing a hot video game. You are, I've been playing a video game that actually is you know. I don't know if it's hot. I don't think enough. I don't know really know if the kids are talking about it. But it's a game. I'm pretty excited about. What do you play? Okay?
Speaker 1: I got in the alpha for split Gate two, which was today as of the recording, but I can talk about it.
Speaker 2: You played the split a one? Play the first one A little bit, only a smidge. I'm not a much. I'm not a like a multiplayer shooter, sure, dude, it's usually uh, usually I like to taste things, not like the split Gate. I don't want to taste the split Gate, but like the you know, the game itself. Yeah, but I played a little bit. I thought it was okay. It was like it was like a good from what I remember, it was like that, you know, that good old fun strike of a Halo multiplayer at a time when Halo multiplayer wasn't didn't exist or bad like Halo Infinite wasn't out at that time. That's true. Yeah, it was kind of right before Halo. Yeah, so I felt like that was a good, good kind of thing for it. But if I remember right, I remember it being like cool on paper and like cool to play and experience that idea sort of smashed together portal. But I also remember being rather chaotic and not for me. I don't really remember feeling like you just put a Halo multiplayer and smash some gates into it.
Speaker 1: Well, then I would be curious to see how you feel about two, because the whole reason they're so I when they announced like we're stopping development on one and we're gonna work on two, I was kind of confused because like one sort of blew up, and I feel like in the day and age we live in, it's like, oh no, you just continue, you build off that, and like you're you're kind of taking a risk throwing away all that momentum you build it the first to remake a second one. I'm still concerned about that is like I hope two does well and you know, can keep that momentum that one had. But before we played the alpha, the game director kind of like talk to us a little bit about like their vision for two and and it said, how like, you know, like one was cool and and but it wasn't like it wasn't the the dream game that they had always wanted to make, Like it wasn't like quite there yet.
Speaker 2: So it was quite literally like hey, what if we did Halo multiplayer?
Speaker 3: But we had portals like yeah, yeah, and I and and and it kind of blew up and became this big thing, and they were like, well, hold on, we have this opportunity now to hone it in, to maybe really hone it in.
Speaker 1: To do that required much like a bit more of a refresh than would be possible just building off the first one. So it's like, okay, like you know what I I I understand that why maybe they did that more that was kind of what they're thinking of it. It's it's hard for me to compare because I haven't played the first one in a while, like, but I would say it does have a bit of a different feel to it. I think it's the controls are a little bit tighter. It like it feels really good, Like all the guns feel great. There's more of a emphasis on a class system now, which I think is kind of interesting. So basically your old class system. Yeah, so you have like three classes and each class essentially just has different in like equipment and guns that you can pick that are specific to that class, but within each class or a load outs as well. So I wouldn't call it like a hero It's not like a hero shoot or anything.
Speaker 2: It's kind of more is it more similar to Call of Duty?
Speaker 1: And then I guess so, but we're like not sure, but we're calling multiple. Call of Duty is like you can kind of like make whatever class you want. This is like a little more so. For example, the one of the classes, I've got the name, but it is kind of more built around speed and so you'll have all of their like they have like an ultimate ability that basically gives them like a huge speed boost and also gives them like a little bonus health and everything. Like they do temporarily like the reload faster and all that stuff. Uh, and then they'll have a little abilities that also do stuff based on like speed, Like you can add a thing that like your sprint just naturally be faster and stuff like that. So it like you can kind of tweak that class to be more like speed oriented if you want it. But you can also then tweak it in like a different direction if you if you rather focus on like having your abilities recharged faster instead of like physically like moving faster. And then they each class has three different weapons that seem to kind of all be in a similar style, but then like each one kind of plays differently stuff. For that that first class there's good old assault rifle that very much is like Halo Assault rifle.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: They have a carbine which is single shot, and they have like an SMG. And then the second class, as you're like Halo battle rifle three bursts.
Speaker 2: Is that still like the sort of like the foundation is that Halo sort of, I would see, So like all the guns have like a Halo y equivalent. You know, you can look at it and be like, yep, that's the shotgun. That's the you know.
Speaker 1: But but but each class is kind of trying to give you a different play style. And what's also interesting is they're they're taking an element that's actually that Concord has, which is like a total coincidence. I Okay, Concord has this whole system where if you pick, when you pick different like hero bills in that some of them will kind of like provide like synergistic buffs that apply to the whole team. And so this has its own version of that where essentially, like if you play this class, you'll also provide this like boost to your team. And the reason they have that is just it encourages you to make sure everyone's picking a different class so that your team's getting the whole boost. I would say it's far simpler than Concords, because Concord system is actually like kind of complicated in a confusing, obtuse way. This is just, hey, make sure everyone's maybe your is beneficial for to have like a you know, multiple classes going everyone playing the same class. So I think all that stuff feels really fun and cool. It's got a pretty short time to kill. I would say it's it's a little faster than Halo, Like there are definitely moments where like I was just running out and charging and just dying a ton.
Speaker 2: It's not like Arena shooter like Arena style.
Speaker 1: No. No, I would say, it's still that Halo, but it's just like a little faster, okay. And then of course you have the portals still and that stuff is no and if I remember.
Speaker 2: Right, those were just like those are designed into the level or do you place them?
Speaker 1: You place them, but there are specific places in which you can be specific on the map where you can do it. And they've actually tightened that up a little bit. Like in the original game, you just have this like large kind of area that's like you just put a portal there. They said they actually like tightened it up a little bit so that they would be they're kind of all smaller and more deliberate. Like every wall that you could put a portal on is the same size as like a portal heightwise, maybe two or three of them there. They said they did that so that you would avoid issues where you would like not put the portal like just a little high up and then you'd try to run through and you'd like hit the side or something like. They try to kind of clean that up so it just feels smoother but otherwise, like the actual experience of the portals is all still there. Like you know you can do stuff where you can obviously, you know, shoot a portal across the map and then go through it, but you can also like shoot through portals. You can disable enemy portals. That's probably the biggest change. In the original game. The way you would disable enemy portals was by using an EMP grenade, and they said they took that out because they said the MP grenade just weren't very fun because they kind of had this limited purpose of their oway for the portals, and also like that a really large cool down and you would like throw an AMP and disable their portal, and you'd have to wait like at five ten seconds, and then the other person could just like immediately put another portal down, so they're like it's not really working. So now you can disable an enemy portal at any time by placing your own portal.
Speaker 2: So it.
Speaker 1: Definitely changes the flow quite dramatically, where you no longer can just like have a portal open and just kind of completely like wreck people with it. Like you can get your portal disabled pretty quickly if the other team is observant and constantly on top of it.
Speaker 2: You could have gone through any portal, correct, you could go through as well or not. I don't think you could go through enemy portals in the original. You can't. In this one you can't. You can't.
Speaker 1: You can go through team made portals, but you can't go through enemy portals. Okay, but you like will see an enemy portal and you're like, I'm gonna disable that really quick.
Speaker 2: But you know, like, yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I was doing all the fun stuff you could do and split gate where like I put down the enemy portal, then like hide behind like the corner and like wait for them to like come to the point. And I was just likelah, blah blah because like they hadn't figured out how to use the portals yet. That yeah, and then I joined a match where they did, and I was like, ah no, it's fun, it's cool. Uh uh. There's got to play like three or four maps. They all seem kind of fun.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: They're in that kind of classic Halo ye kind of mid size if you play split Gad, I'd say they're very similar team death match. And then they have this competitive mode, which I guess is kind of I forget the name of it, but it's meant to be their big competitive mode type where there are two points that whether there is a point that you have to like go captually King of Hill style and then when you uh get that point, like you'll when when you take that point, you'll get one point. You have to get two points to win the round, win three rounds, you win the game. Very simple. But what makes it pretty fun is that you you just need to get that point at the very end of when it charges all the way up, So it's very easy for the other team to just come into the very last second and steal it from you. So there'd be lots of really like dramatic close calls where you know you'd have it, like all, we've got it, and then they would just come in with the rocket launcher and like completely destroy you and then just like take it from you, and that would feel pretty brutal and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, the rocket launcher is also really cool because it does it like look cool. Uh, I mean it looks like it looks like Halo's rocket launcher kind of, but it doesn't have like sunglasses.
Speaker 1: No, it's not that cool. It's gotta love their jacket on it. Cigarette that's a cooler. Yeah, no, uh so, it's it's one of the power weapons in the in the match that you can go find. It has three shots per per round and if you you can fire it single fire, or if you hold the zoom down you can fire all three rockets at once, just completely. So if you see the team like all bunched up, you can just obliterate all of them in it. It's crazy satisfying. The other power weapon is it's called like the split shot or something. It's like an assault rifle, but the alternate mode is you take the front of it off and it turns into a pistol SMG combo and you dual wield, and that thing fires so fast and does so much damage you completely bliterate anyone that runs across you with it. Ith very very satisfying. So yeah, like the the so far, I'm into it. Guns feel good like it feels like a smart kind of like tweaked evolution. I'm curious how like the larger split Gate fan base will feel, you know, yeah, I mean, because there's none of that weird, like I said, there's in more.
Speaker 2: First one is no longer being supported, you know.
Speaker 1: Only re supported, and I do think like fan expectations around that kind of stuff has evolved where it's like, well, why are you making a sequel one? You could have just done this, But I do think playing it, like there is some fundamental changes to the DNA that to me makes sense. I also come from a time where that was very common, so like that, doesn't you get a sequel and get it changes?
Speaker 2: Halo two, I was gonna say, in defense of that decision, it only gives it a reason for people to talk about it again, because sure I was, like I had played that game when it was first time it came out, but then I just completely forgot about it after I fell off of it. I'm not gonna go and play the second one, but it's in my head at least, you know, like everything like oh yeah, that's the thing that came out this year, and like I'm aware of it more than I would have been if Splicate just got a big update. So now I know, like, oh, split Kate two is a thing that happened. Similarly, when you know counter Strike officially, you know, like changed its self and called it what is it called now? Is its contract to or it's it's called contract too, But it just replaced Go and yeah, exactly. I don't know how that's holding up, but the people who used to who were playing that, but it's one of those things where like I was made aware of it sure like kind of brought into my Yeah, I guess you have the bad version of that, which was like Overwatch too or that kind of just but there's multile reasons. Yeah, but Overwatch too like did a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wrong, Well, I think I think the problem with Overwatch Too is they were trying to like justify why it needed to change and which that that is an example of like that did it didn't like.
Speaker 2: Exactly the end of the day. I mean they're now literally that to me is a good example of a game that like had its audience, It had its it was like cemented right like split Gate is still I would would still say, is like this smaller.
Speaker 1: This has the change to go even further than it did. And like I said, under the hood, it does feel more like, Okay, you really did like change up a bunch of stuff. This isn't we're overwatched to not like it not it didn't have any changes, but felt a lot more like it's just.
Speaker 2: Kind of you do this. It feels like the same game a little bit. Yeah, so yeah, it's it's cool.
Speaker 1: I there is a a alpha next week that I think you can go, like to go to the Steam page. You can like click to be like, I'd like to register for that and maybe maybe you'll get in. So if you're interested in that, maybe go do that.
Speaker 2: Take it. Take Jean Luke Sypeke's word for it that the rocket launcher is cool, the rock Launcher school. That rocket launcher is cool. That rocket launcher is cool. Well, on the other side, I play. I've been playing a game that's an early access that has guns. But maybe you're not a multiplayer shooter person like me. Maybe you like Doom Maternal Okay, maybe you like Blood Born I do. Maybe you like the detective game The Vanishing of Ethan Carter from two thousand and four teen. I do. Actually I really love that game. Well, I have a game for you. It has no detective elements, but it sure does have the DNA of the Vanishing youthing Carter because it's made by the same studio, the Astronauts. I'm talking about the game which fire Dude. I've been so excited for this game. I feel like I've been hearing about it. Game has been like I feel like I was one of the only people. I'm not gonna say that's hyperbolic, but like whenever we would have like this game was revealed, it had to be like what like five years ago what it feels like during you know, like a Kei Lea. Probably might have been a summer game fest maybe E three for all I know, But like, I think it's just one of those things where I knew the Astronauts because I love the Vanishing Ethan Cart and I was like, well, I love that studio. It's the only game they've ever made. I will pay attention to anything they do. And they revealed the game and it was like this, like the furthest thing from Carter. I mean, it looks like you could tell it to me by the same studio, but it's like vanishthan Carter. You just walk around investigate shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this time walking sim Yeah, this time you have fucking guns and you're shooting like all these crazy demonic witch things. So I was so anxious to see what this game is about, and also just excited when a studio like completely one eighties and be like we're gonna go do this now. Yeah, And I've been watching it and every time we had an SGF it was like always like my wishless. I was like, I want to see whitch Fire. I want to know what that game is. Well, we made at kids, we made it. You can finally, uh finally actually play. It's been it's been an early access on epic for a minute, so it's it's been available, but uh but I was able to get It's they're getting closer to kind of like gearing this thing up as a release, and I was able to play a bunch of it.
Speaker 2: This week. I basically played i want to say, like five hours, like non stop wow. And then I even played like an additional two hours at work the other day. But basically, if I could wrap this game up, it's like take the twitchy, white knuckle dance of Doom Maternal, specifically Doo Maternal, with like your dash moves and all the other special abilities and crappy you have at a reload button, okay, and then combine that with specifically blood.
Speaker 1: Boring like mechanics in terms of like like health regen.
Speaker 2: Not so there is there's a version of it, but it's not health regen. It's more like it's a They kind of apply it in the waste stamina works, which I think is interesting. But you take the soul's elements of a blood Boring specifically, like how like in blood Boring, like you have Madman's knowledge and you have man's knowledge to be able to see more things in the world. Which Fire has its own sort of system that you have to level up in order to reveal certain things in the world, whether that's like secret paths or even like entry points to boss fights, and then you sprinkle in some roguel like elements on it too. So basically which Fire is like this Gothic sort of Renaissance like Catholic Renaissance feeling era in which like a witch has like taken over the land, and you are someone called a prayer and you got a fucking you look like a steampunk cool dude with a metal mask, and uh, you basically to enter these these these kind of like these mini map worlds, like these levels and clear them out, and you do, you fight a bunch of fucking hordes of monsters, and then along the roguelike element is like every time you kill a horde, you get a gem that gives you like a special bop whatever, and that's fine, but uh, it feels awesome and it's surprisingly really fucking tough, and it's good to play a game that uh has the same sort of like meditative flow state of Doom Maternal because I really feel like I have not played many shooters. I've like quite matched that as well. And then you throw in like magic abilities and like spooky shit and like cool like a variety of like monster is in like weird shit in a dark gothic world and you get which fire. So but the stamina thing I was gonna tell you about, it's like I got this, like speaking of flow state, it's got this like really not that you want to get hit in a game, but it gives a really strong incentive to not be damaged because the longer you go without being damaged, the more your stamina increases to the point in which you get this flow state where every single time you dodge it opens up like hot spots in the world to shoot that then like stuns enemies and it just gives like this really really good push to like always keep moving, to do everything. You cannot get hit despite being surrounded around thirty enemies at all times, and there's like this really good like sort of I don't know, I feel like I use this word a lot, but I can't help it. But like this good dance of like the powers you get, the spells you can cast have elemental effects that can affect enemies around you or even your how the way your gun works. So if you throw lightning at like a horde of enemies, the lightning will shock everyone at once, and if you shoot one enemy, it casts damage like throughout the lightning bolts, so it attacks many enemies at once. And there's a lot of cool elements like that where it's like some heavy there's like some heavier spells where you cast us like this giant bell into the sky, and every single time you shoot the bell, it like lets out this ring that stuns all the enemies. And like there's this really good flow steed of like controlling a crowd, throwing this bell into the sky, shooting the bell, stunning all your enemies, like setting them all like casting lightning on them, and then shooting this like change attack of lightning that's like messing up all the enemies at once, and it's awesome. It feels so good, and for a game that's an early access, I didn't. I think I only like experienced like one bug and it was like fine, Like it was like an just I got stuck in the environment and there's like an unstuck feature which I used, and like happened once, and it didn't even happen during battle. It happened like I was just like walking around one of the safe zones. So that's a game. I've been playing and I think it kicks ass and I'm really excited about it. It was like it's a good to be excited about a game and then play it be like, oh, yeah, this is like cool. I do have some concerns about like so it kind of has different classes, it's not and they're not really classes. It's basically like you start with a different load out of weapons and then uh, your character's just leveled differently. But as you collect more which fire in this case of souls, you can start to build out your character however you want, and like change the guns I ever want, So you can start with one build and then slowly mess your character into something else if you want. But my only concern is like when I restarted with a new class, just to experiment. Replaying the earlier areas was like extremely boring, not in a way that like Blood boring is. We're like playing in new class and like and starting blood Born again and like being in that environment, like there's something like I don't know, there's like something really satisfying about like you know that world now, yeah, and then you can like maneuver through in a really cool way. You can run through it really quick, yes, yeah, and you feel like a bad ass. This didn't give me that feeling. It more so just came off boring, like I'm shooting these enemies again. I'm just doing whatever. I kind of level up right now as fast as I can so I can get to the next level. So that's like my only sort of early access critique at the moment is that it's just I don't think it's very fun to experiment with other builds just yet. But that's like a rather minor thing in comparison to just picking a class or build and like just leveling that dude out and sticking with it and gunning shit down. It also has an extremely difficult It has a really intense difficulty spike once you hit a certain level where new enemies are introduced and new concepts are introduced. So similar to Blood Boring, where like you hear the bell of a witch or whatever they call them in Blood Boring. Oh yeah, and you have to go find them and find her and her before like shit goes back. You go insane, right, like you're.
Speaker 1: Like summon stuff or you can kind of think you're like sanity meter or whatever like goes Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's like different enemies that kind of both do similar things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that exact same concept is in witch Fire, where like you can be in an environment slang enemies and all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Like you'll be alerted. That's like the witch sees you and you have like a certain amount of time until the witch like basically drives you insane. And then the horde multiplies and like there's ghosts that come and attack you and you have to like either a kill all of them or survive for x amount of time. WHOA, And I don't know if I'm just like suck or what. But I have not located the witch and I can't like I don't know how to get past it, Like I don't know how to figure out like you hear the bell start to ring it's just like blood Borne, and I was like, I have no way of locating this motherfucker, finding her and killing her. So it's like there's little things like that that I feel like are kind of just thrown at you. And I feel pretty good at the game, but that's like extremely punishing when in an environment that's like already punishing. And then like there was another scenario which like random events sometimes occur where like this boss showed up the drowned captain, and I went and then the Witch was at the exact same time, and it just was like it.
Speaker 1: Felt like a lot of things were being stucked, and it happened consistently, like these things were being stacked on top of each other. The Witch can also make you go insane during a boss fight, which is like, so I haven't been struggling with the first boss fight of that game, because I'll get there and I'll feel really good and I'll be in a good flow, and then it's like he casts like fifty enemies. Is like fine, I'll cast my spell, my bell, stunned them, do my thing, and then all of a sudden's like the Witch has seen you, and then all of a sudden you go insane, all these ghosts start attacking you. So that's like there's just some balancing issues unless I'm just bad. But I don't feel bad at the game, feel pretty good at it. It's just that there's certain parts where I was like, I don't know how the fuck any person is supposed to handle this, like this sort of crowd control.
Speaker 2: So yeah, maybe could use a little tweaking. Yeah, it just needs to be dialed back a bit like the early the earlier stuff that thinks too easy, and I think the second level, once you hit a certain level, once you lovely character up a certain point, gets way too hard. But it's really good. I'm like really all about it. And like there's like a hunter's dream like world like hub world that you can go to and where that's where you're like level up and like change your gear out. But it feels good. Go for once I'm playing something new, I'm playing something cool. But then they totally totally opposite into that I'm playing Not too Long, a game in which he plays a small boy on summer vacation. It's a little different, just smitch different. I'm still hunting bugs. Nothing you humbugs and which fine, but I feel like I could play a little bit more of Menacing if I wanted to be like, I'm gonna catch all these goddamn bugs, then I've just become Starship Troopers. Everyone fights, no one quits. Now when you're a ten year old kid and you're trying to catch as many bugs as possible in this summer.
Speaker 1: Town, So tell me about now, stam on, because this is this has been around for a while, right, like this series.
Speaker 2: I think it's known as not Too Yami. It's like it's actual thing. So I've never played any of these games, but I've always known about them. I don't even know how many of them are localized, to be honest, I think not many. I think because I want to say, it was like a big deal. Yeah, so for finally getting them here. Yeah. So for those of you who don't know, Not Too Yami is a series is a Japanese video game series in which, like you, basically you play as a little kid on summer vacation and then if I if my research doesn't do me wrong, each game takes place in August, from like August first to August thirty first, and because that's in case you didn't know that's how many days are in August. So you play through, play through the month of August, and basically the entire thing is like you just live a summer vacation and like through that time, day and night cycle open world. You get to talk to the people in town. There's a little storylines that happen along the way.
Speaker 1: So you're you know, Stardy Valley without without any of the management shit, the no no. But I guess that's sort of like you know you have every day. Yeah, how are you going to spend your day?
Speaker 2: What are you going to do? Who are you going to talk to?
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're not building a garden, yeah, per se, But you aren't catching bugs?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you can catch a bug. You can choose to catch a bug or two. First, to catch ten, then I wants you to catch thirty. Then I want you to catch fifty. Who knows who's asking this kid to catch all these bugs? I think he's just asking himself. It's like, you catch ten bugs, and all of a sudden, he opens his notebook, it's like, well, time to catch fifty.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But uh, this is my first time playing one, and I've always been fascinated by these because I love the Slice of Life yeah style game, and I love the idea of like roaming around a small town and watching watching people, which sounds way more messed up than I intended to. It's why I love Deli Premonition. It's why I had such a fascination with that one game PS one that I think, but where the funk was it falls? That game was rough, but that's the same idea, open town, day and night cycle. You can like everyone has a routine, even the Good Life. The other game by why Owl's ye sweary who did it? Like same idea. I think I want to do my research, but I have a feeling that the Good Life is like heavily heavily influenced and inspired by notasu Yami, like like it has to be. Now that I'm playing the Not Too Man, it feels like I'm playing like a less Janki version of the Good Life without like the murder mystery that goes nowhere and turning into being able to turn into a cat and dog like in the Good Life. M Yeah, so now someone's great. I like boot it up, not really expecting a lot, and it's it actually stopped me from playing other games like this is the Police or even frost Punk. Oh really, I now like I'm actually playing not Touman instead when I go to bed.
Speaker 1: So it finally broke yours. It's what broke it. It's what broke the frost spouse like until Frostbuck two comes out.
Speaker 2: But like I was on a real kick for strategy sim games and not too long is the first thing that was like, you know what this is? Like this is Kurt DNA shit. I just get the wander around town and like learn about people, see people's slices of life, spy on them if I wanted to want to learn their routines, know where they go, see what they're up to. Make it sound like a horror game. Well that's how Kurt plays ten year old kid. He's just like.
Speaker 1: Watch when I was a kid, I had a journal where I spied on people.
Speaker 2: Really okay, yeah I would like follow people. I would like not follow them. That sounds worse, but like I would watch people in my neighborhood from like my windows, and then he'd be like, oh, look there's a bug.
Speaker 1: Yeah it no, I would and I would make notes unlike what people I used to spy on my dad.
Speaker 2: He was like fairy. He was like absolutely aware that I was like spying him. But I used to like get behind his compbook boxes with my composition notebook and like make notes. I'm like what he was doing? Do you have these notebooks still?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I highly doubt it. Many things for my past have been lost in the stands of time. I want to know what little Kurt I'm making sure I made up some ship like I'm sure I was like the like the demon is in his layer, he's now eating four He's now eating four children and drink his own beer. None of that's true, obviously, but that's probably what's in my notebook. And then I probably and I probably said I was like shot today at school, like by the thugs in the in the alleyway, and I and I killed them with my Jackie Chan stunt moves. And now I'm back at home watching my mother uh unzip her skin and turn into an alien. And then I don't know if that says about me, but anyways, so this game, this game, the entire point of these the series is to like capture like not so much. I was reading about it, like the director's intent was like not so much. The Capture, like the nostalgia, but like the simplicity and feeling of being a kid in summer vacation and really having nothing. You could do anything you want or choose to do nothing. So this does really like hit that point in my brain where like I feel comfortable because it's like I'm not treating the game as though I have any objectives, and I could choose the ghost spy on someone and see what they're doing and where are going, and then go catch the butterfly that just flew by me. Yeah, but it's really awesome. I'm really enjoying it a lot, and like it was like kind of like a surprise thing for me, Like, yeah, I'll give a shot, and it's it's quite inspiring. That sounds cool.
Speaker 1: There's something about a game that doesn't demand anything from.
Speaker 2: You, yeah, or like not even so much. Like it doesn't even demand because like there is there's a ship ton of stuff you can do, sure, but it's like there's no expectation. There's like no stress, right, like.
Speaker 1: You know, like I know that's always the thing that like stresses people out about like like a like like persona for example, right, Like it's like what do you want to do with your day, and like I treat it as just like whatever I do that day, I do that day.
Speaker 2: But people get like.
Speaker 1: I or like I have to maximize that I have to like do everything or like fuck that.
Speaker 2: Man, you know, like I guess, so, I mean, like that's probably why there was like like I always talk about this where it's like if I don't like certain characters and games, I don't want to engage with them. So if like Persona gives me the ability to like not have to talk to certain people because I simply don't want to, I won't. Well that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I I firmly believe that beating a Persona game and not doing everything is the actual proper supposed to play it, like your proper but like more like a more humanistic I think some people treat like one and doing all the social links is like the thing you're supposed to do. But I'm like, that's actually the outlier. I don't think you're not supposed to play those games that way. You're supposed to be okay, missing things and not hanging out with everyone.
Speaker 2: But we live in an age of fomo of It doesn't help that everyone these days feels the need that they do need to do everything that they do need to be involved in like have the friends and do the stuff.
Speaker 1: But no, that's that's a good comparison though, Yeah yeah, or like a you know, uh to to pivot to a game. I've been playing Feels of Miss Era.
Speaker 2: The game with the people that you can get in a relationship with.
Speaker 1: Well, there's it's not in there yet apparently because it's so this is an early access Stardo Valley. It's early access pixel art, but it's like a but it's like a specific it's an interesting kind of pixelar.
Speaker 2: It's like like g BA era. Yeah. Yeah, it's like not your usual It's like was the gb was that thirty two bit or six? That was thirty two bit?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I think so, because it's like.
Speaker 1: Gbare is like elevated s nests where it's like it's the snass, but it can do more than what it's like.
Speaker 2: It's like post like GBA pixelar is like post PlayStation figuring its ship out. Yes, so like you get to see like the tail end of like what people do with the technology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like but it's like it's still kind of big and chunky in stocks because it was not a portable so it needed to be very legible. So it kind of gives me that energy. I don't know if that's there was their influence, but that's the vibe I get playing. I'm like, ah, this feels like it like this would exist on a g B A, which makes sense because games like Harvest Moon were you know, portable games for the longest time, an addition also being on console. But yeah, this is uh, it's early accessed. You cannot romance yet apparently that's what I've been told. But but I but I look at their list and it says which ones are single and which ones are not, and I was like, there, you know they're going to add that again.
Speaker 2: They're going to get that in there.
Speaker 1: It is I'm very early and so far, I would say it is extremely started.
Speaker 2: Valley like.
Speaker 1: Uh blatant, feels kind of almost accusatory, but it is like, oh, yeah, you're you're just making that game.
Speaker 2: But you like it's Do you feel like it's adding things that people have wanted mhm? Or does it feel like a reskin?
Speaker 1: I don't think it feels like a reskin. Like I said, I I do think it's changing up some stuff. I'm also so early it's kind of difficult for me to to truly say. As far as what people want, I don't know. I know the Stardoo Valley community is like insane and they just they just have been like playing that game for years and they have all sorts of demands. I will say, compared to Stardoo Valley, I am more interested in the characters so far.
Speaker 2: In fields of in terms of what is it called fields of fields of miss miss miss so none of us can say, mistera mystery. I don't. I've never heard it set out loud, and my brain miss mstra.
Speaker 1: MISTRASTRONI MSTRONI feels a Misterronie.
Speaker 2: From here and now I did I didn't.
Speaker 1: I think the characters and started Valley are okay, but I never gravitated towards a lot of them, to be fair, and a part of it, honestly is a sound very shallow. It's not.
Speaker 2: The character portraits are very ugly.
Speaker 1: Oh so, okay, So you hate you hate ugly people, Yes, you hate ugly pixelar people. I hate I hate poorly drawn people. Okay, alright, that's different. That's a better way put it. It was, Yeah, it was more just like But I think the more important point is that were they uninteresting because they were poorly drawn or do you just don't think they were written interesting? Well?
Speaker 2: I think I just because they need to look a certain way for you to be.
Speaker 1: Into maybe, but I just didn't find myself gravitating terms those people or like a lot of them. I was just like, oh, like, there are some that I really like, was like, I kind of want to know your deal.
Speaker 2: But other characters are just like.
Speaker 1: Like, there's like this one guy who's just like a he's just like a total like asshole to you star and start very enemies to lovers kind of thing where he's just like, ugh, you suck and he like I'm like, okay, I don't hang.
Speaker 2: Out with you then bye.
Speaker 1: And he doesn't look sexy. I didn't think, so okay, but would that be different if you looked well, okay, So in Feelds of MINNESTRONI everyone looks so hot. Everyone looks incredibly attractive.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, though. I always get a little worked up because it's like there's like this like sort of subjective idea. No, no, no, there is there is. I'm like when I see the objectively.
Speaker 1: Subjectively, I think everyone looks hot, but I also think there's a good variety of of of people, although some of the people that I also thought looked hot. We're in a relationship, and I was like, clearly, I'm not gonna be able to like, we'd like see a character, We're like, wow, they look great, can we romance to them? They'd be like, Hi, I'm blah blah blah, and here's my wife. We're in a loving relationship.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn it, bitch, throw potatoes at her, just like.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but yeah, like I you know, I think there's a good variety of of characters.
Speaker 2: I think they're like it's I like the arts, we need more ugly people in games, like deliberately ugly people, not deliberately but naturally. How do I put this, Like you're saying they're all hot, No, it's it's it's because I could look at them and be like, there's a lot of the case when I see this dating sim games where it's like, I mean, they're definitely everyone's so hot.
Speaker 1: It has that they're trying to I want to unconventional looking people. I would agree with that, which is why I like the guy in uh the new Zombie game, this remake of the West. Yes, I like Frank West. I date Frank West and uh, Frank West dating Rising. Yes, he's so we talked about that. I love, But like.
Speaker 2: I want more unconventional looking people like him, like less of the archetypical attractive person sure in all shapes and sizes. Yeah, but like the like the thing like I want like because like so many times you see certain body traits that are used quite poorly to demonstrate a person's character, like about way like for example, like the infamous hooked nose, Like people are always seen as bad guys or like even dudes with like uh receding like widows peak hairlines are like usually seen as like suave bad guys. Yeah, and I want to see more of those features and like protagonists that are just like they're just like not yeah just like yeah yeah yeah, I mean yeah, not to take off the tangent, but.
Speaker 1: That's a valid I think it's a valid complaint because you look at this game and you're like, oh, you know, it's it's your typical I would say, like younger audience kind of like I'm drawing like a person and and even though there's a good like variety of of you know, like genders and skin types.
Speaker 2: And and and body shapes, it's still it's still in that kind of like conventionally mold. So I think that's a valid complaint. I think that's also just me as someone who like I never I've never I've never had the opportunity to like play a game where I've like actually been interested in dating anyone in that game, Like I've never, and I've played plenty of games that have those options, but I'm always like, I don't like you. I was like how you look and how you talk. Or there's the people I like how they talk, but they can't I can't do it. They can't do anything. I can't hold their hands. Anyways, that's just that's just k platonic, Like I just wanted more healthy platonic relationships with my games with unconventional looking people.
Speaker 1: Sure it's fair, Yeah, yeah, anyway, fields a ministronie feels a ministronie. It's it's good so far. But like I said, it is very much like how much early.
Speaker 2: Access is it? Like what can you what is the limits of Like that's a good.
Speaker 1: Question, I mean, so so far, it's like I I you know, I have my farm, I can have your farm. I have my farm. I can farm. There's quests, there's seasons, like you're changing in and out seasons. I'm doing quest lines for people. So it's it seems like they've written a good amount of that stuff in there, and the loop is there, right, and the loop is there, so it feels like a fully functioning game. It's just that, you know, maybe like there's some of the other elements that aren't quite there yet, Like I don't know, like how in depth, like you know, other a bunch of like events and activities, and you know, because like things like started will be.
Speaker 2: Like oh, there's like the festival this week or something like.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like maybe how much of that is in this game because I'm just not that far yet. But what I've played so far it is it's scratching that that itch, and at least for me, I find the art style more appealing than stardy valleys, So I'm kind of a little more drawn to it because of that GBA look. So I'm I'm like, I'm digging it. I'm gonna play a little bit more of it. I know, Lucy James is like super into it. She said she's been like ten fifteen hours into it or something. It is having a really good time with it.
Speaker 2: Chump change. I mean how long is keeping up for? Yeah? For for what the four days has been out or whatever. She's what she could have had eighty some hours. Yeah, what is she doing? Is she doing living her life? Yeah? What is that about? Uh?
Speaker 1: Well that's cool yeah neat yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Cool cool Minnestroni Fields of Ministroni. I never want to know what that game is actually called. I will only refer to as Fields of Minestroni, in which I would loved. I always talk about what I would love. It's like, you know, if you told me, if you came in here and you're like, Kurt, I'm playing this game called Fields of Minestroni. Everyone is just a bunch of fucking googly Italian guys.
Speaker 1: You have your pasta farm, yeah, and I'm just like, now we're talking. I got your pasta farm where you grow pasta, You grow pasta, Yeah that's how that works.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You got your sea of sauce you get you get sauce from the lake. Yeah. Yeah, you're like, oh, this is my going all the way back to just filling my PC with pasta. I guess my piece was spaghetti, which I haven't had to do. Piec's been holding up great, that's good. Plays wish fire great. I mean that's because we used high qualities. Because that's because we put motherboard. We put a Barada ry on the motherboard. Yeah, exactly, squished it right in there. That that that thing keeps it nice and cool. I know, I know, that's great. So when I boot up deals in Minnestrone, it starts to just ooze, uh sauce. Yeah, and I'm leaking out of your TV. Yeah, like Mama Mia, get the plate, get the pasta. The computer's milking uh yeah, cool?
Speaker 1: Good god, oh my god. You know what that segment is? What is how do you tie your shoes?
Speaker 2: And it's just okay, I'm gonna yeah, do you do the bunny ears or the around the finger and through the loop? I do the bunny ears? Am I the only one who does around the finger and through the loop? But she's no one taught me how to do that, so you know what it is? Right? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So okay, I got a sneaker on the table right now. All right, so Kurt unty shoes. All right, so you do your first cross okay, he did a cross, and then you do a single ear right, and you take the other strings and you put it around the finger okay, and then you push that loop through there and then bare them.
Speaker 2: Wow, that looks so.
Speaker 1: Clean through the finger and around through around the finger and through the loop.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's the official calling. You do the loopty loop and pole. Yep, those are looking cool. Yeah. I do the loopty loop and pool pol pole, And then I sing the humpty dumpty not like the uh not the like. I'm like, I like mcgirl's like, oh meal, you know, like, okay that dumpty dump.
Speaker 1: Do the humpedy dump. Come on, do the humpty dump. So I tie my shoes, do the loop and cool, and then all the King's horses and all the King's man and then do the humpty dump. I like Mcgirl's lump. I like my girl's like, oh, I can't remember what it is about oatmeal. Yeah, fields of MINNESTRONI that was a cool segment. Yeah, that was pretty good. We need to do that more often, I agree. Anyway, I think it's time that end this podcast. It was actually the segment to end it. No, I just wanted to see what you were gonna do. I just kind of threw it to you and yes, exploy.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Everyone for listening to this excellent, top tier episode of games Spot After Dark.
Speaker 2: Kurt, thank you for being here as always. Thank you. I'm surprised to keep getting it has to come back.
Speaker 1: So next episode is episode two fifty big deal games Coms happening next.
Speaker 2: I will be gone, You will be gone.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we'll be able to do an episode next week because of how crazy busy will be with games Com unless I can get Jake to come in. Okay, you're gonna gone, Lay and dam will be gone in Germany? What are you excited about for Germany? By the way, because is this your first well, it's not your first time in Germany.
Speaker 2: It is my first time in Germany. It is Oh my god, that's my first time in Germany. I've never been either. So well, I'm well, damn now, you know, put you in a box and ship from there. I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've been all over the damn world this year, right, A bit a shocking amount of travel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so games Come is going to be well, I went to Canada this year with you, and I think games Come will be It's not as good as that, but now as good as London, Ontario, Canada. No no, no, I give you that on but uh yeah, first time in Germany for obviously. With that said, first games Come, I have really no expectations. I've heard a lot of different things. Uh, I know I'm going.
Speaker 1: To be seeing a lot yeah, stuff that I'm not going to talk about just yet, but I am. I know, my my itinerary is pretty full and there's a few things in there that I'm pretty excited about. Yeah, pretty pump to see. It seems like it might be a pretty big One's dear, it feels that way.
Speaker 2: I mean games Comes always uh always.
Speaker 1: Not weird to me, but it's always like you kind of get you kind of get your announcements, your big announcements at E three at what we used to be three now summer game Fast, and then you get to see a little bit more context of ethic a games Come, I feel like. So I feel like games Comment is never really.
Speaker 2: A place I looked at for big new surprises, just more information on what we've already learned about.
Speaker 1: That's my perception. Yeah, it's also a more public facing show. Yes, so I always took it as like it's the place where you're you get to the average person. Yes, to the play some of the things that were announced out of E three slash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the humans smar games.
Speaker 1: That's the humans, not us, not us demons generates write our notes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, spying from a distance. The humans get to go Jesus Christ. I'm trying to I'm trying to hold them on a higher caliber than I see myself. But right, exactly, it's a more public facing show for the gamers. The gamers, Yes, not to say that we are in the other the other that you bring a notebook and just like spy on people the whole time. I are I always do to this day.
Speaker 1: When do you think about it. That is kind of your job. Yeah, that is literally mycro your notebook exactly.
Speaker 2: I talk to people and I interview them, and I make notes and I turn those notes into articles and pieces of information that I share with the rest of the world. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: It's it's very telling. There's a through line in your life. It's very telling.
Speaker 2: That as a young boy, I was like, I like to observe people, and then as an adult it's like I observe them for a living and in art and other things. So it all makes sense. And I'm going to go to Germany and I'm going to observe the Germans and observe the normal people and the other people, and I'm gonna have a tough time because I'm pescatarian. And apparently there's like very little options outside of just eating meat. No like that.
Speaker 1: You can't really drink beer, which is button trying to get, like, uh, just like whiskey.
Speaker 2: I'd rather not be walking around with a flask on me.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently apparently it's pretty easy to get just like little bottles of whiskey.
Speaker 2: Oh god, So you could just carry those in your pocket. I don't know if that makes me feel any better. I think I'd rather have a flask at that point. There's something a little bit more classy that taking off flask than it is like digital bottle out of the back take my medicine.
Speaker 1: But I picture you taking five of those bottles out and then slowly pouring them.
Speaker 2: Into a flask.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, and then suddenly I'm like, wow, look how much class are I am?
Speaker 2: Now I'm ready, Now, I'm ready. Uh so we'll see, but I'm very excited. Excellent, and uh I'll be taking that flight alone, oh, which I like cool and uh probably PLAYABIVI. How long have a flight?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Fourteen hours? Is it's pretty long. There's a flight and then a little lay over. Oh okay sucks, so it comes out that long. So it's fine, but it's good yea.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so stay here a game spot to see all the games company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have a lot of coverage of that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, like I said, that might mean there's no podcast next week. I'll do my best to wrangle somebody, but it might it might not happen, but if not, then we'll see the week after for episode two hundred and thirty. Hey that's the sound. Yeah, that signifies we've we've made it exactly. Yeah, thanks for sticking around, uh, as always, everybody, we really appreciate it. As a reminder from what I mentioned last week, we are also planning on moving offices. So on top of just being a real busy season, uh, there's a lot of moving parts. So there will definitely be a few weeks kind of in the later half of September where either we're gonna have to do it remote or you might just put a pause on it for a hot minute because I gotta build a studio and all that stuff, and it's you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's a lot of work. I got people spy on, and Kurt's got people spy on. I'm gonna be come back as a special guest every week. It's gonna be like Kurt's Corner. And it's like, that's when you hear like the Law and Order, like dunt dunt, and that's the segment sound for It's like and then it's just you in a corner. Yeah, it's be like.
Speaker 1: Uh, September fall time, twelve fifteen PM. I was sitting at my desk and I don't know why, that's my internal monologue voice. That's like and I was watching Jean Luke Sypeke tie his shoes attempt to do a loop through the loop. What I saw was abysmal. What have I learned about this? And then then you know, it goes back to the normal podcast.
Speaker 2: Cool, all right, cool, awesome, look forward to that. Everyone.
Speaker 1: See you on the fields of mister any folks, goodbye, goodbye