Speaker 1: Because all of the beliefs that lead to negative thoughts, that manifest negative aspects in your life, they're all nonsense. They're all unnecessary. And you have the power to release them all. So probably not going to happen all in one session. And that's why I emphasize every single week, please listen to these sessions on repeat every day as many times as you can. And I know that so many of you have emailed me or messaged me and said that you've listened repeatedly. And every time you're listening, More and more stuff will clear. So please definitely take advantage of that.
Speaker 2: What was the voice of Liana Shanti? Up to this point in the series, we have spent a lot of time looking at the structure of Liana Shanti's digital world. We have heard from former students and ex-community members about how they found her. And in interview after interview, a pattern has emerged. As explained in previous episodes, some clips may be repeated throughout the series for context and clarity. Here is Jennifer, an ex-student, who spent two years inside Liana Shanti's community.
Speaker 3: In my 20s, I developed an autoimmune condition. And then during the pandemic in 2020, I was laid off from my job. I... was really burnt out, depression and anxiety, and I realized I have a lot of trauma, a lot of childhood trauma and adult trauma that is leading me to this place of burnout. The solution still felt really elusive, and that's when I discovered Leanna on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And here is Tammy, another former student.
Speaker 4: I had some health issues that I was working through. And I came to her through a mutual friend. There are so many kernels of truth littered throughout this practice that I'm truly grateful for. Unfortunately, the kernels of truth also led to darker pathways.
Speaker 2: This is a pattern former community members and ex-students describe repeatedly. A period of vulnerability. A search for answers. and a first encounter with content that seemed to speak directly to where they were. In the accounts of those who eventually left, that content evolved. What began as wellness advice, plant-based eating, juicing, and spiritual practice became, in the words of former students, something more absolute, a framework that seemed to explain everything. And at the centre of that framework were two courses, Mother Wound and Father Wound. Mother Wound and Father Wound are audio programs sold through Liana Shanti's digital platform. They run for several hours and are designed, according to Liana Shanti's own instructions, to be listened to on repeat, sometimes daily. Zach is a former family member of an ex-community member. When his then-wife became deeply involved in Liana Shanti's community, he decided to take both the Mother Wound and Father Wound courses himself to understand what she was listening to. Here is how he describes what those courses contained.
Speaker 5: The mother wounds, it's like a two, three hour program. I was listening to a lot because that's what you had to do. And you had to write down lots of things about your mother and your lifestyle. In the program, it made my mom sound like a narcissist. I was like, wow, I'm driving in my car, I'm listening to these programs. I started cutting my mom off.
Speaker 2: Zach then describes the overall logic of the course progression.
Speaker 5: The mother wounds teaches you your mom's a bad mom, cut your mom off. Your dad's a bad dad, cut your dad off. Narcissist course, your husband, your boyfriend, everybody around you, your family, friends, your growing children are narcissists and they're evil. And that's what teaches you.
Speaker 2: And here is Jack, whose own daughter Lisa became involved in the community. describing watching those courses enter his family.
Speaker 6: And that's where I think Leanna starts to chime in. Here's a free course, listen to it 24-7. And then she starts saying, oh, I have this mother wound, a father wound. Then it escalated from there. That's what we saw.
Speaker 2: In interview after interview, former students and their family members describe the same trajectory, starting with a free taster, then purchasing mother wound, then father wound, then the narcissism course. And as that progression unfolded, the people around them, their partners, their parents, their siblings, began appearing in a different light, a darker one. That is the context for this episode. Because behind every framework, every theory, and every accusation, there are people. Today we are stepping back from analysis and we are letting the family speak. Two parents, Jack and Anne, and a sister, Kristen, the people who watched Someone They Love change and then disappear. I'm your host, Casey. This is episode four of the Insta Scammer, and this is the story of Lisa. First of all, we are going to hear from Jack, Lisa's father. This is what Jack had to say when I asked him to tell me a little bit about Lisa growing up.
Speaker 6: I mean, she was a happy kid. She had a good life. She was very smart, very intelligent. Many friends. She read a lot. She traveled a lot. It was great. It was just great. I was stunned and blown away by this. Just blown away.
Speaker 2: And this is what Lisa's mother, Anne, had to say about her memories of Lisa as a child.
Speaker 7: She was a beautiful, caring, loving daughter. Like he said, she was our travel buddy. She went all over the place. She grew up in a wonderful family. We had a great life.
Speaker 2: And here is Lisa's sister, Kristen, talking about what she thinks about when she thinks of her sister, Lisa.
Speaker 8: So my sister, she's more introverted, but she's absolutely phenomenal in social settings. She's beautiful. She's charismatic. She's smart. She could talk about anything. We didn't have a lot of relationship when we were children. I desperately wanted a sister. And I finally got her. Best gift ever. But I was nine years old. So there's a big gap. By that point, I was, you know, approaching preteens. And then by the time I was a teenager, she was the annoying kid that was messing with my makeup. and going through my clothes and, you know, get out of my room. And then by the time I was in my late 20s and she was in her late teens, now we were more peers. Now we started to really connect, not just as sisters, but as friends. And she became one of my best friends. She came to visit in 2009. I had just moved into my house and I had an entire itinerary planned. So we went out salsa dancing one night and we ate Mexican food and we went out to see my friend's band perform. And we had a girls night where we made a whole bunch of hors d'oeuvres and I invited my friends over and we were all hanging out. Yeah, it was just, it was a great time.
Speaker 2: By this point in time, I'd been told by Jack and Anne about the time Lisa married her husband, Joe. And I asked them to give us some insight into into their wedding day.
Speaker 6: Well, it was beautiful. It was great.
Speaker 8: It was in a restaurant, an Italian restaurant in Queens, New York.
Speaker 5: It was really nice.
Speaker 8: He walked her down the aisle. My sister married them.
Speaker 6: She did.
Speaker 8: They both looked great.
Speaker 6: You know, and we all, in the pictures, you could see the family together and happy. It's just, it's hard to, like, We've been dealing with this for almost three years now.
Speaker 7: Three?
Speaker 6: Or four years.
Speaker 7: Christmas of 2020 was the last time we saw them.
Speaker 6: She cooked dinner for us.
Speaker 8: She did cook dinner.
Speaker 6: And it was beautiful.
Speaker 8: They left us a note.
Speaker 7: This was the most beautiful Christmas we had together. They just enjoyed themselves. We did puzzles and we just hung out the whole weekend. It was wonderful. And that was the last time. I have a picture of her feeding the dogs. on the floor with lights on her head. And that's the last that I have.
Speaker 2: I then asked Kristen when she first noticed some changes in Lisa's behavior.
Speaker 8: So I think everyone kind of went through some of their own unique struggles back in 2020. And my sister and I were not exempt from that. So she was living in Maine at the time. And they fully embraced the mask mandates, the staying at home. She ended up spending most of that time isolated in an apartment in a rather remote area of Maine. They went to the beach one day and they were kicked off the beach. They were not permitted to walk on the beach during the pandemic, even though no one else was there. And I live in North Carolina. You barely knew that the pandemic was going on. As soon as they came down in, I want to say it was late August or early September of 2020. We were getting sunshine and going for walks and going to restaurants. And it was so uplifting and so wonderful. But despite the reprieve from Maine, I think it really affected Lisa. And she was always looking for ways to improve herself. But once she came down and moved to North Carolina, one of the things that I was observing was that everything she pursued was online. Meaning her grocery shopping, her clothing shopping, her clients were only online relationships. All of her self-help, her books, her podcasts, her music, everything was online. And It began to concern me because it seemed like she only wanted to live in her apartment in an online life. And I don't know if there was some like agoraphobia going on or maybe it was just a habit and where she was very comfortable. When she was talking about being on a path and trying to more deeply understand relationships and where she was and her own thinking, all the answers she was pursuing online, I told her, you need to stop pursuing all of these things to fix yourself and fit into this mold. And you need to just start living. You and Joe, you know, go buy a house. Go have some kids. You know, you're in your 30s. Part of the reason why you feel unfulfilled and you feel a little lost is because you're in limbo. And you're not going to find the answers in a course. You're not going to find the answers in a book. You're not going to find the answers from some person you're following. And she was a little upset by that. But it was true.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it was Joe or Lisa who found Liana. And I guess they got the free course. And then from there... They fell into it. They fell into it.
Speaker 8: They were isolating themselves.
Speaker 6: And I believe what it was, was when they started changing their diet... Absolutely. You know, they were drinking her juices.
Speaker 8: No meat.
Speaker 6: No meat. And I learned that they were doing these coffee enemas, but you have to have food, you know? So we felt it was draining them.
Speaker 8: Just draining the brain.
Speaker 6: Draining the body. And that's where I think Leanna starts to chime in. Here's a free course. Listen to it 24-7. And then she starts saying, oh, I have this mother wound, a father wound. And then it escalated from there. That's what we saw. From what I'm hearing, the stories that you've been putting out and other people, it's almost the same scenario.
Speaker 8: When she was in Maine, some women that she worked with did a program called that I believe had the same name, Mother Wound. She kept talking about a healing journey. And she had talked to me about a program called Mother Wound. Now, I thought she was just talking about the same one that she had done before. And she began encouraging me to do it. And I was not interested. I could tell she was kind of offended by that. She was hurt. I really think that she thought this was a journey that we were going to take part in together. But I wasn't feeling it. We were always sharing stuff on Instagram. Like, oh, you should follow this person. You should follow that person. And I believe that one of the pages that she really wanted me to look at was Leona Shanti's. And I do believe I followed her. One of the talking points that Lisa really brought up with me was that she was very Christ-centric, which I'm a Christian, and that she was very, like, anti-pornography. And I was like, oh, that's cool. All right. Yeah. So I followed her. I remember her also saying, like, she's very, like, anti-New Age, you know, just really focused on, like, the truths of Jesus Christ. I'm like, all right, great. Sounds good to me. But after things turned and I went back and looked at this woman's page, I was like, wait a minute. All of this is new age. I remember I didn't tell her. I didn't want to offend her. Because I thought, well, you know, if it's helping her, if it's beneficial to her, I'm not going to judge her. I think it's great. Those are kind of the conglomeration of the first memories I have of the Liana Shanti stuff. I think that it started out with the diet.
Speaker 7: And during that period of time, they're listening to Liana Shante's courses. Before you know it, they were sucked in. She's still listening to this woman 24-7. She has to be in order to stay in this state of mind.
Speaker 2: What you are about to hear next isn't a single isolated marital conflict. Across multiple interviews, some of which we will hear in later episodes, several people describe a similar dynamic coming out of the Liana Shanti community. A partner gets pulled deeper into the teachings, and the relationship begins to hinge on whether the other person will do the work too. These are personal accounts, and we can't independently verify every detail, But the pattern they describe is eerily consistent, even across interviews with people who have never crossed paths and never spoken to each other before.
Speaker 8: I don't want to go too much into things that Jo has shared. But basically, from what I understand, when she really began to get into the teachings of Liana, she had expressed to Jo that she didn't think it was going to work. And that if it was going to work between them, that he needed to get on board and he needed to pursue this healing journey with her. Joe was very blindsided by it. You know, they had lived in New York for a long time. New York is very expensive. Money was tight. And then they're living in North Carolina. Things are increasingly more just so affordable. They're going out to eat. They're enjoying themselves. And this was a whole new world for them. So when Lisa was like, yeah, I don't think it's going to work. I got to do whatever I need to do to save this. And so they did do the whole Liana Ashanti thing together. They decided to do the Health Mastery Institute. He quit his job. She got rid of her clients. He said the sound of Liana's voice became like, he's so triggered by it. He's like, I can't. He's like the hours upon hours upon hours that we listened to her. And Lisa was just eating it up. I don't know exactly when it was, but he said he had gotten to the point where he was suicidal. He would express how hard it was and, you know, his mental state, how it was declining. She would accuse him of trying to manipulate her instead of empathizing with him. And so he just said, I can't do this anymore. And he left. They did it for close to a year. They had moved to Florida because Tampa was on the list of okay, safe places. They both lost quite a bit of weight from these cleanses and diets. Joe was emaciated, emaciated. I believe the first recording she listened to was Mother Wound. I know she also listened to Father Wound, a big one for her when she also began pointing fingers at people. There's a recording about narcissists. Those are the ones that stand out to me. And she was listening to them over and over and over again, which is something that Leanne encourages. She says at the end, you know, put them on. Even if you're busy, just listen to it. Listen to it two or three more times. you know, today and just keep listening to it. In the summer of 2021, I was renovating a house. And while I was working on the kitchen floor, I decided to listen to the one on narcissists. I was a little concerned. I had heard a family members that chose to investigate because, you know, a family member disappeared and I wanted nothing to do with them. And then they got sucked in. So I prayed up before listening to it. I was kind of shocked. I I listened to it and I think to myself, how did my smart, not just smart, like brilliant sister, but you know, I suppose if you're just in a place and you're open and you listen to it enough and very like hypnotic and suggestive language.
Speaker 2: While Jack, Anne and Kristen were trying to reach Lisa, the story was playing out on another platform too. On Liana Shanti's own Instagram account, Jack was becoming a public figure, named fully, discussed and framed for an audience of thousands. On one occasion, Liana Shanti posted an Instagram story naming Jack's full name directly. It read, Urgent. Please pray for the safety of Milana. Jack, Milana's ex-father, is dangerous and we believe armed. Police are now involved. I can't give any more detail here. I will post his Florida info on the EFC website along with additional information. These Satanists are very dangerous people. Do not take any of this lightly. The source who saw that story has provided this evidence to us. On a separate occasion, Liana Shanti posted an Instagram story sharing a screenshot of a public Facebook comment written by Jack. In her caption she wrote, Thank you everyone for sending me tons of screenshots of defamation. A lot of these are things I didn't even have. Especially where these people contacted you in your DMs privately. Nikki just sent me this from Alana's dad, Jack. The comment she was calling defamation was this. Jack, writing publicly on Facebook. LS is a fraud and divides families for personal gain. I know because my daughter and her husband were buyers of her programs and put thousands of dollars to her and HMI. My son-in-law broke away and begged his wife to get out of this cult-like situation, but she refused. They make you believe family is the problem and fed lies to the point that people start to believe. My daughter was loved and now she's gone because of mind-manipulating bullshit. Liana Shanti labelled Jack's words defamation. She encouraged her followers to send her more of his online activity, and she named and described him to an audience that ran into the thousands. Across this series, former students and ex-community members have described concerns about repetition, suggestion, and what several have called a process of confirmation. having their existing beliefs reflected back and intensified. An archived version of Liana Shanti's own website captured by the Wayback Machine in September 2016 shows her writing the following about herself. I have studied NLP and also became a hypnotist. I have continued on in my studies on both neurogenesis and neuroplasticity and teach courses on these subjects. In more recent publicly available recordings, Liana Shanti denies this entirely. Here she is in her own words, describing her use of neuro-linguistic programming.
Speaker 1: There are plenty of stories of people being subjected to NLP. Okay, NLP is something I've been accused of doing.
Speaker 8: It's nothing bad. It's neuro-linguistic programming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't do.
Speaker 1: I've never studied. I... learned about it actually when I was in sales, because I was really good at sales and people thought I had studied it. And I said, no, I never did. And then I looked into it and I was like, oh, okay. I can see why people think that. So that's just ignorance on their part. Cause I never, I never studied. I don't do it. I, I do what I do and I'm not ever practicing convert hypnotism. I don't, I think she must've meant covert hypnotism.
Speaker 8: I don't do that either.
Speaker 1: I'm not a hypnotist and I don't have hypnosis sessions with people. People go through my programs and listen to my programs and they start to heal. There's a very well-known debunked theory called false memory syndrome. That was false memory syndrome was a lie concocted by a child molester, a man named Peter Freyd, F-R-E-Y-D, if anybody wants to look him up. And he claimed that his daughter, who was accusing him of raping her as a child, he said, you know what, this is a false memory.
Speaker 8: This was implanted.
Speaker 1: And after 30 years of trying to get that to be accepted, it was never accepted by the American Psychological Association or any other diagnostic psychological association.
Speaker 2: When Liana Shanti is confronted with concerns about memory formation inside her programs, She often points to something called false memory syndrome. She claims it was a debunked theory created by a man accused of abuse, and that it was never accepted by major psychological associations. But that framing leaves out important context. The term false memory syndrome itself was never adopted as an official diagnosis. That part is true. It does not appear in the DSM. The DSM stands for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. It is the definitive playbook published by the American Psychiatric Association, or APA, used by healthcare and mental health professionals globally to diagnose and classify mental health conditions. However, the broader science of memory distortion is not controversial. It is well established in cognitive psychology that memory is reconstructive and not a perfect recording. Suggestion, repetition, authority figures and emotional intensity are can all influence how memories are formed, recalled or reframed. That does not mean abuse memories are false, it does not mean that survivors are mistaken, it means memory is complex. Mainstream psychology holds two truths at once. Child abuse is very real and tragically common, and human memory is also vulnerable to suggestion under certain conditions. Reducing that complexity to a moral argument that anyone who questions memory formation is defending abusers oversimplifies a nuanced scientific conversation. And in communities where authority figures confirm memories without independent evaluation and without holding the necessary qualifications, training, and credentials, that nuance becomes especially important.
Speaker 8: Lisa would say things like... The body never forgets. So she would say, I feel, I would feel uncomfortable around certain people. I would have these like flashes of a memory, but she couldn't identify who was responsible. Almost like she would have a memory of a feeling or a memory of a hand or a memory of a pressure or something.
Speaker 2: According to Kristen, when Lisa began to experience what she described as fragmentary memories while listening to the recordings, she sought guidance from Liana Shanti directly. And in Kristen's account, Liana Shanti confirmed those memories, telling Lisa they were real, naming who was responsible and telling her there were more.
Speaker 8: And when she began to experience these things while listening to the recordings and meditating, she asked, Leanne for confirmation. And Leanne said, yes, it did happen. And this is who it happened with. And there were more.
Speaker 7: One day she was Lisa and the next day she was a stranger. I noticed that she was posting things on her Facebook page that looked strange to me. And then I watched her starting to lose weight.
Speaker 6: She was married at the time.
Speaker 7: They still were coming to visit. And then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, it was, we need some healing time. We're going through a healing period. And they kind of just shut us out. And slowly, then the letters came, cutting us off.
Speaker 8: How did you go from that wonderful life to a computer and a mattress? She's not Lisa anymore. When Lisa wrote me a letter in the beginning of May of 2021, that we weren't going to speak, I just thought she was going through something. And I was like, all right, well, I'm going to give her her space. And then when my parents came to me in July and said, what's going on with Lisa and Joe? I thought, oh, man, they, you know, Lisa and Joe must have told my parents that they weren't speaking to me. And that must be what they're talking about. But it was actually that they wrote my mother and stepfather a letter. when my mother called me to talk about it, she was like, it's this Liana Shanti. Is this Liana? And I said, what are you talking about? And my mother said, it's her, it's her. And, you know, she was looking at things that Lisa was posting and she was looking how she had started a Twitter page. And she specifically said, I'm just here for Liana Shanti. And that's when we began putting the pieces together that it wasn't just, I need some time to heal and consider our family dynamic, but rather that she was very heavily influenced by someone that she was following. They were disconnecting from us.
Speaker 6: Four months, three months, three months.
Speaker 8: So it was about a period of, I would say March, April, May, June, because even June, my birthday, she was like, I hope you don't mind, but I'm not really sending presents this year. Happy birthday. That's what I got.
Speaker 6: Then it started with, almost a week later, I got this long letter.
Speaker 5: How.
Speaker 6: I learned that I was sexually abused by my father. Yeah, I'm reading this and I'm saying, is this about me? She's saying this? I mean, it was a three-page thing. I said, and I'm questioning, like, Ann, is she talking about me? She goes, yeah, I think so. That was a week later, we got another letter. And then we learned that Joe's, because we were close to Joe's parents, they got the same exact letter from Joe. His father would do anything for him. But the same thing. He was abused.
Speaker 2: Before we head into the next section, I need to give a trigger warning for sensitive content and allegations of child sexual abuse. Please listen with care and pause the recording if you need to. By this point, some followers weren't just changing their diets, routines or belief. They were being given entirely new names. According to Liana Shanti, these names carried spiritual significance and reflected a person's deeper identity. But for several former members we spoke to, the practice represented something else entirely, an increasingly powerful shift away from who they had been before joining the community. Lisa, who goes by her new Akashic name Milana Hokulani, has told her story in two places that are now part of the public record. on Liana Shanti's own podcast, Deep Throat, and by that I mean Throat Chakra, which she appeared on voluntarily, and in a legal document she filed herself with the Hawaii Family Court. On April 14th, 2023, Lisa filed a petition for an order of protection against her father, Jack, in the First Circuit Family Court of Hawaii. The petition was filed under penalty of perjury. In it, she described her experience as follows. My father groomed and sexually abused me when I was a child. My most vivid memory is when he anally raped me when I was six years old on my parents' bed while my mother was at work. I had stomach pains and trouble using the bathroom after this, and both of my parents took me to the hospital to get checked out and given rectal suppositories. That account, the stomach pains, the hospital visit, the suppositories, is the same incident Kristen will describe from the outset in a moment. Here, it is told by Lisa herself in a sworn legal document. Lisa's petition also describes the period between 2001 and 2023, stating, I cut off contact with my father in July 2021, and since then he has cyber-stalked, harassed and bullied me through my social media and online business. He's also harassed several colleagues and started an online smear campaign against me and my life coach. Lisa also described the reason she left Florida for Hawaii. She writes that it came to her attention, quote, that my father had been associating with people connected to violent kidnappers who help parents deprogram adult children. After January 8th, my father has even stated online that he's been on a mission to get me back and that I will need to be deprogrammed. Then he messaged me on March 11th, 2023. I just want no contact and to never see him again. Lisa requested a protective order lasting 30 years. A Honolulu Police Department officer encouraged her to file. On her relationship with her father, before the memories began surfacing, Lisa also spoke on Liana Shanti's own podcast, Deep Throat.
Speaker 9: I always felt I couldn't be close to him, like I was repelled.
Speaker 8: There wasn't closeness.
Speaker 9: We didn't spend one-on-one time together. Anytime I was alone with him... I felt, like, dressed, like, tight. Like I wasn't relaxed.
Speaker 2: On a remark her mother once made.
Speaker 9: And when I called my mom out on her drinking and was trying to kind of tell her how I felt about things that would come up when she was drinking.
Speaker 8: She deflected.
Speaker 9: And one of the things she said to me was, well, maybe one day.
Speaker 8: You'll talk to your father about.
Speaker 1: Him and his stuff.
Speaker 8: And what does that mean? I didn't probe.
Speaker 2: And on the memories themselves.
Speaker 9: There are things that have come to the surface that because, you know, my family.
Speaker 8: Knows that, you know.
Speaker 9: That basically it's like you're too young. You know, you're too young to have had these things come to the surface.
Speaker 8: There's no way.
Speaker 9: So it's a way to invalidate me.
Speaker 1: They know the truth.
Speaker 9: They know what they did. They know deep down.
Speaker 1: They know what they did. They all know what they did. Jesus knows what they did. And at the end of the day, people who are really willing to look and listen to victims will know what they did too.
Speaker 2: Those are Lisa's and Liana Shanti's words. She has shared them publicly and we report them as she told them. Jack categorically denies all of Lisa's allegations. He disputes that any abuse occurred. No criminal charges have ever been filed against Jack, and there has been no criminal conviction.
Speaker 8: I would love to talk about the biggest accusation with Jack. It is a great illustration of how memories are warped. Little bit of backstory. Lisa... suffered from pretty severe constipation when she was very small. I don't even think she was a year old. And so there were certain things that my mother would do. My mom would sit her on a little potty in front of Sesame Street and feed her little snacks on a tray just so she would relax and sit down and go. And the doctors prescribed laxatives and she was given suppositories, which I think The memory of the feeling of the insertion of a suppository has merged into something that it wasn't. Anyway, so now I'm working nights and he's working days. And he calls me at work one night and he said, Lisa is doubling over in pain.
Speaker 6: How old was she?
Speaker 8: She was around six. So I said, I'll leave work and I'll meet you at the hospital. So that's what we did. He took her to the hospital, and I met him there. They're going to see if there's any, like, hardening or obstruction. They may order an abdominal X-ray, which they will definitely see what's going on.
Speaker 7: We had her in the pediatrics area, and the doctors came to the conclusion that she was constipated. She wasn't having appendicitis or anything that we thought maybe could be happening. And they gave her a suppository and sent us on our way.
Speaker 8: That's it. That was it. Now, Lisa, now this is what she has shared online. She states that that afternoon, Jack sexually assaulted her on our parents' bed. And that it wasn't just, it wasn't just vaginal. It was anal. and that she was in excruciating pain due to that assault, he did take her to the emergency room where they diagnosed it as constipation. They administered a suppository and sent them home.
Speaker 7: If that truly happened, that she thinks she was molested or something from her father, don't you think that those physicians would have picked up on that? Child Protective Services would have been called in.
Speaker 8: There would have been a record. There would have been a follow-up. There was nothing. Because it never happened. If he was your abuser, if he had actually done this, would he take you to the emergency room where his secrets would be discovered? Now, I called that hospital back in, I think it was 2022. I said, let's just see if they had the medical records. And unfortunately, they had gotten rid of them. It was a very unusual number of years that they held on to medical records. And they would have gotten rid of those records, I want to say, just two or three years before the accusations online came out.
Speaker 2: Jack and his family deny these allegations completely. Lisa in her sworn court petition and in her public statements stands by her account. What we can report as a matter of verifiable fact is this. No criminal charges have ever been brought against Jack in connection with these allegations. The court that received Lisa's protection petition made no finding on the merits. The allegations are disputed. And the consequences didn't stop with one accusation. As contact with the family narrowed, life kept moving forward. And not everyone was there for it.
Speaker 8: Illness. Death.
Speaker 2: Milestones missed. Isolation has a cost. Sometimes it's measured in moments that never come back.
Speaker 6: He was close to his grandma and she was getting sick and the last time I posted I was able to message Joe. I said, your grandma is sick and she's wondering where Joey is. She passed away. He never saw her. So I bet you that's hurting him now too. And Lisa's brother passed away, my son, my oldest son, December, right after Christmas. I don't know if she knows. She might know. I don't know. But Joe didn't know until he got home that his grandma, that he was close to, passed away.
Speaker 7: Lisa also talked about she was drinking and she was hooked on drugs, suicidal. She was muted sometime in her life growing up.
Speaker 8: She was never hooked on drugs. She experimented like any other kid. Never hooked.
Speaker 7: When I had the daycare, I had a little girl, Jennifer. She was not verbal. She had scoliosis. She was born with many health issues. But she was the happiest little girl you ever met in your life.
Speaker 8: She'd get off that school bus and she'd have her backpack and she'd laugh. She'd go outside and play. She'd pick the flowers, but she never spoke. When Lisa came up with this thing that she was mute, the first thing that came to my head was, she is using Jennifer. And Jennifer passed away at 13. All I know is when Lisa came up with the story that she was mute at that age, the bell went off in my head.
Speaker 7: And I said, she's talking about Jennifer.
Speaker 8: She was never mute.
Speaker 2: According to Anne, those claims don't match the child that Anne remembers. but in a recorded conversation on Liana Shanti's podcast, Deep Throat, Lisa walks through her adolescence differently. Not as scattered teenage struggles, but as symptoms, signs, boxes to be checked. Here is an audio clip from that podcast episode of Lisa and Liana Shanti discussing this together.
Speaker 9: And I showed all the signs, repression, I had the suicidal, but if I just tick off the boxes, so there was you know, physical symptoms, tics, the suicide.
Speaker 1: You went mute for a summer too, right?
Speaker 8: Like a whole summer. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Like I get a little bit here and there I was talking, but you know, I wasn't myself depressed at high school. Then I, you know, ended up like hooked on weed, the numb, you know, I check off all the, all those boxes. It's all there, you know, but it's so normal in my family that, To drink and do drugs. And I was a participant in it.
Speaker 8: I was upholding all of it. I was drinking. I was doing the drugs. I was.
Speaker 9: Eating the shitty food and trying at certain points to let all that go, but never fully able to do it.
Speaker 2: And the allegations didn't stay private. As they were blasted all over the internet, they expanded into the family business, into reputations, livelihoods, and decades of work.
Speaker 8: So the house that we grew up in was a high ranch, and the downstairs had an apartment in it. So half of the downstairs was a private apartment, a legal private apartment. And after a lot of run-ins with some horrible tenants, my mother decided to pursue her dream to own a daycare. So Jack, being the carpenter that he was, he went in and he modified some of the walls and this and that, and they turned it into a daycare. I ran a daycare for 25 years. She tried to smear that. Many, many, many of my clients came forward and said beautiful things about me. And my business, the children, they all knew that that this never happened to Lisa. They saw her over the years. She used to come down and hang out with us and play. They talk about campaigns. I would hardly think that people expressing their opinions and looking for like minded folks is a campaign. However, my sister, what she did was absolutely a campaign. She went public. and created a online form that she was encouraging prior daycare, either the young people that went there or their parents who had children go there, to fill out. Because what she was trying to say was that our mother, not only was she aware of this imaginary abuse, but that she condoned it. She covered up for my stepfather's indiscretions and that the very bedroom that my sister was allegedly sodomized in was directly above the daycare. My mother ran that for over 20 years. And during those 20 years, not a single complaint was ever filed against her for any type of physical, mental, verbal, sexual abuse ever. Nothing but good things to say.
Speaker 6: She went to the courthouse and filed a petition of order of protection. That's when I got the letter that we had a court appearance online. I get up one Sunday morning, knock on the door, and there's eight cops, sheriffs all around my house, all ready to draw a gun. I swear, I was like, what the heck? He goes, well, I got to serve this letter, you know, order of protection, you know, to appear in court. And Lisa said, I have guns. So they were all prepared for a shootout, I guess. You know, we know you have guns in the house. You can either give them to us or you have to get them off the property until the case is done. I said, I'll get them off the property. So we appear online. And now I could see Lisa. She comes into the courtroom the way we're talking now. And I was like, Oh my God, it doesn't look like Lisa. So I turned around to the judge, like, you know, I said, this order of protection for what? And she turns around to Lisa. She goes, well, what are you doing? Well, I have her blocked on Facebook, but every now and then I'll friend him, but it takes 24 hours for me to block him again. The judge goes, you can't do that. So she goes, you have evidence. I said, I got a lot of evidence. All right, I'm going to postpone the court date. You gather your evidence. Your father will gather his. The next time we went to court, Lisa dropped it. So I had all this evidence ready to give to the judge, and now I couldn't send it in. We were in court. I said, I love you, Lisa. And then Lisa throws her water.
Speaker 5: See?
Speaker 6: He's stalking, whatever. And the judge goes, I can't do that. Well, I did, and that was it.
Speaker 2: Hawaii Family Court records confirm this. Lisa did file a petition for an order of protection against her father. filed April 14th, 2023, filed under penalty of perjury, filed in her own name, served with the assistance of the Honolulu Police Department. But those same court records also show that 12 days later, on April 26th, Lisa filed a motion to dissolve that petition herself. She wrote to the court, quote, I must dissolve my request for an order of protection. When I recently came to Hawaii, this put 6,000 miles between us. and I'm choosing to find some relief in that at this time. The court made no finding on the merits. That protective order was not dismissed by a judge. It was withdrawn by Lisa. Lisa described that, now she had put 6,000 miles between herself and her family, she wanted to try and find some relief in that distance. But on Lajana Shanti's own podcast platform, the same events were framed very differently.
Speaker 1: So today I have a really amazing woman. This woman to me is the epitome of everything that Jesus speaks about when he talks about someone who is brave, someone who is courageous, someone who is standing in the light of Jesus, someone who is willing to put themselves out there despite the attacks, despite the slander, and despite an all-out effort by her family to completely quiet and silence her. and going to great lengths to do that. And she has been thriving. She's an amazing, amazing human being. And unfortunately today, she's coming to us on the podcast from an undisclosed location because just a couple of days ago, there was a very serious attempt to bring her back into the family cult. And I can't go into details about that because it involves legal issues, but we are literally talking... to her today from an undisclosed location.
Speaker 2: After the accusations, the court filings, the podcasts, what remains is something quieter. A family still speaking into the silence.
Speaker 6: I would like to say that we're still here. I love you very much. I hope everything's well for you, but at least let's talk about what you're allocating against me. I mean, you know, let me have my say. It's only one way.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: I even mentioned to Leanna, you know, posted on there and all that, you know, to get it out there. Let's do a podcast. I know it'll never happen, but why don't you get me on there with Lisa and let's do a podcast. You can ask me anything you want because if somebody molested somebody, they would hide from it. They would not be out in the public. You know, I got nothing to hide.
Speaker 7: And I hope to God somewhere along the way she comes out of this. We'll always be here, but it'll never be the same, unfortunately. I just hope God is watching over her.
Speaker 6: I just wish I could hold you or see you before I die. I'm not that young anymore. That's the one thing I want to see. That's what I want. I just want her back into my life. It's going to be different. I mean, but we're here to help anything.
Speaker 8: Well, I think some of the best advice that I received was remember that they are victims. That has been helpful because you want to retaliate. You want to be angry. Moving forward, I would like for her to just feel free, like pursue, be joyful, be happy. Because I think ultimately if she is pursuing something, And she does feel free and she doesn't feel under threat that she is more likely to come to the truth. You know, it's very easy if someone's in a fearful state to manipulate them. So nobody's pursuing her. We just want the best for her. And, you know, yeah, we're probably still going to say Liana Shanti is not someone that anyone should be following or listening to because we've seen the destructive patterns. If you want to speak your truth, we're going to speak ours. It's so encouraging looking at Joe. Because he's come out of it and he and it took some time, but he's healed physically, financially, mentally, spiritually, familially, like his family. They're great. Like he's in a wonderful place. And. You know that to the point that you said as well, that like you don't have that closure, like if someone dies. That's that. But to know that they are somewhat close. So, you know, that's something he and I have talked about as well. It's just to sit down and talk with her. And to know that she's there. But you can't. It's weird. It's really strange. But I am hopeful. One day. We've spoke to Joe when he got out at the beginning. But he's got to get on with his life.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 8: You can't keep reminding him and pulling this stuff out of the closet. He's young. He's half our age. He has his whole life ahead of him. He finally got a good job. He found himself a nice girlfriend. He's got to get on. But I have to say, we didn't only lose a daughter. We lost a wonderful son-in-law. When's the last time she went out to dinner? When's the last time she took a walk on a beach? When's the last time she went shopping? She orders everything to be delivered to her door. She doesn't go out there. She was completely isolated. Joe said it.
Speaker 7: He said the only thing we ever did was walk around the property at the condo they were living in.
Speaker 8: They never went out. I can sit here and sometimes imagine the door, knock at the door, and I open it, and it's hard.
Speaker 6: But... I don't know.
Speaker 8: Would that ever happen? In my lifetime?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't know. That's the hardest part, I think. We're not young.
Speaker 2: Isolation doesn't always look like a locked room. Sometimes it looks like delivery boxes at the front door. Sometimes it looks like silence stretching across birthdays, funerals, years. For this family, the fracture isn't abstract. It's the space between a father and his daughter. A mother and her daughter. An older sister and and her younger sibling. And the hardest part isn't what Lisa has said, it's what hasn't been said. But for some families, waiting wasn't the only option.
Speaker 5: I see everything burning down around me. Because I had to stay undercover, I could not reveal what I know. I can't tell my children, I can't tell my in-laws what I know. I'm asking my in-laws for help. And at all this time, they're telling me the totally opposite than what I'm seeing inside the group. So I see my whole life, my whole world burning down.
Speaker 2: In the next episode of The Insta Scammer, we hear how some family members decided to take a different approach, stepping anonymously inside the community to understand what was happening to their loved ones from within. Join us next time for episode five of The Insta Scammer.