Speaker 1: Hello, Richard. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm very well, Richard, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Now listen, there's tragedy has befallen us because Callum isn't here.
Speaker 2: He's dead.
Speaker 1: No worse than that. He's on his way to up the A one to Scotland. He is currently going up. I've just come off the phone with him and he's in his car heading north, probably listening to garage and Rave because he's down with the kids and he's on his way up north and he's going to be photographing and talking with a lady who paints beautiful paintings with a pheasant feather. So he's going off up there. Is it a good enough excuse to miss our guests? I think the jury's out.
Speaker 2: I mean the dedication is in the room here, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Well, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Professionalism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you.
Speaker 1: Know that's middle name, Richard, Professionalism, prido. That is as you're known as. Although admittedly, of course I didn't go to the shooting show. I was doing other things so which you two did.
Speaker 2: We barely went to the shooting show. We just ran around, got in trouble and got kicked off stands. Mostly and didn't get invited to parties.
Speaker 1: I listened to that. You know, I think probably you know you didn't miss me that much, except for the fact that occasionally my celebrity hedge layer of fame does open the doors to occasional drinks parties to people who have like my bill hooks, which is well and who.
Speaker 2: They like the angle of your bill hook.
Speaker 3: Well exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Although I haven't been using my billhook much of late today, I have been planting.
Speaker 2: Hedges and we've had a family outing, haven't you a.
Speaker 3: Complete family outing? Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: We not only had my lovely wife Claire helping, but we also had my son Charlie, who's on half term, and so the three of us plus Gilby we got planting today because it's a funny old thing, you know. I mean we about November time, not long after the budget we started really quite flapping because we lost two very big and one smaller contract for hedge laying because the government and its infinite wisdomen has decided to freeze the capital works grunts under Country Science Stewardship, which meant that a lot of work which we were supposed to be doing suddenly stopped and we went, oh my god, we have got no income coming. And so I rang around some of the farmers who we'd planned work for in the future, who had different schemes. And it's remarkable, And that's one of those humbling things when you realize that actually a you, yourself are valued and also your work is valued. Is that these farmers went, okay, we can shift some things about. You come and do this, you come and get that, And all of a sudden, we've now got thirty three days left of the hedging season, and we've got thirty eight days work, which try.
Speaker 2: And fit it so working weekends then.
Speaker 1: Basically, So therefore there was a complete family outing to try and get a load of hedge planting finished for one of these said generous farmers who employ us and say, yes, come on, go and get this done.
Speaker 3: So, yes, that's what I've been up to.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'll be quick with mine because we've got more important things to do this week. But I was doing TV stuff today briefly. So if you're a TV company doing a show and you come to North Wales in spring, you decide you're going to do foraging. So it's a bit of a toss up as to whether we go into a woodland or whether we go out on the coast. And this time it was on the coast, So it's going to be on ITV's Coast and Country. I think it's ITV Whales's version of Country File. Okay, So I went out there and it was basically me standing on a beach while media people faft and someone near very nearly dropped a incredibly expensive gimbal and camera and broadcast rig into the sea water.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, it wasn't your fault, was it.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't my fault.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I just watched and then trying to convert them into the idea that you can eat limpets. Really, so this is this is the thing. Limpits are a bit like game meat. If you cook them correctly, they're actually quite good. Okay, but you've got most people just boil them and then they go, well that tastes like eating a pencil rubber. Yeah, but no, there's ways to do it. But for another episode, let's do something more important show.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's do that.
Speaker 1: So we have our monthly and soon to become we're going to have guess more often because we think that they're exciting.
Speaker 2: Now we've got more guests than months.
Speaker 1: That's right, exactly, that's exactly.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Now I've got a free called Chris who is a thatcher, and he and I are being world founding together a bit. And I also wrote an article about him being a thatcher. And I went up on the scaffolding as he was doing this thatching. And people come and watch me hedge laying, and they get what I do after about fifteen minutes of watching, and they think I could probably do that, to be honest, and then they ever go and they make a bit of a faff of it, and it doesn't work very well. But to be perfect, I was hedge laying is a little bit smoking mirrors.
Speaker 3: It's quiteey to do.
Speaker 1: I sat next to Chris up on this scaffolding and watched him. I was what six feet away from where he's working, and I watched it work at math one. I have no idea how on earth you did that? And I stood next to you. It's like a really good magician.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: He also happens to have a twin brother called Andy, who is not only the younger brother, he's the better looking brother, and he's the clever brother. So I thought, could we get Chris on and talk about thatching. No, because we don't want to know about Chris, because basically I don't know what he does. It's far too technical. So instead I thought, I'm going to get Andy, his younger and better looking brother on, because he not only understands the thatching gig, having been from this amazing family of thatchers, but secondly, he very wisely stopped being a Thatcher and he went and joined the army, went into the Royal Engineers, which are the only acceptable corps in the British Army, because my father was a sapper as well, and he went off and did some proper soldiering in places. And then he left the army and he went into academia, and he suddenly drifted.
Speaker 3: Back to.
Speaker 1: His roots. I guess, and we are too day, Richard going to be talking to Andy Dodson, who I think is probably the only doctor of reads. Andy Dodson, Hello, and welcome to country.
Speaker 4: Slide, Hi, Richard and Richard. The Doctor's not quite there yet, a couple of years left to push, but it's getting there slowly a bit. Surely it'll happen one day. Say that enough?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, look, do you know you're you're closer to being a doctor than our current minister. What's it called is for being a solicitor or our Chancellor of the Exchequer is to being an economist.
Speaker 2: So therefore, yeah, I've just looked at your CV and actually it all seems to be true. So that makes you a cut ahead of half of the cabinet at the moment.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, quite so, Now andy, why have we got you on? And I tell you one of the things that I'm fascinated about is as a wildfowler, I spend a lot of time in reading beds, and as a person who lives in rural Suffolk, I know that the water read is something that a lot of our houses are factory that I live in a seventeenth century house, and once upon a time this was thatched. You can tell why the pitch of the roof. Your brother told me that, and it's now got tiles on. So tell me reads. What are their importance too?
Speaker 3: Well? Houses, I guess.
Speaker 4: So obviously, going back quite a bit, architecture wise, people would use whatever material was local to them, and it will vary quite a bit. But so you go up to Scotland for example, you get the buildings which are thatched with heaber, but they're not like I said, you come down to Suffolk, Norfolk, et cetera. The traditional material used was read for the most part, and then back in the eighties or nineties, I can't remember precisely when it was changing planning law.
Speaker 1: Like for likes.
Speaker 4: So where you've got listed buildings, what goes off must go back on again. So if you've got a read property like what yours probably used to be, I guess Richard Freeds goes off, it's got to come back on again. So therefore the supply, just from a thatching perspective, read is important because we need that material to be able to keep up with our built environment, heritage and meet current planning requirements. And that is on the simplest terms, that's why it's important for buildings.
Speaker 1: Okay, then, now, am I right in saying that water read is a lot longer lasting than straw.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is definitely the case. So straw and cone read, which you'll tend to find down more down my neckerwards in the in the southwest. You looking at somewhere in the region about twenty to twenty five years read depending on the environment's orientation, house and all the rest of it fifty sixty years. My brother has stripped off read which has been over over one hundred years old and literally just been What will happen is the thatch will come up, It will assess the or she will assess the roof. Does it all need to come off? Yale? If not, the top layer kind of come off and you can just keep on overlayering and overlaying it. If you look at what my brother's just put up on LinkedIn today, there's a really really excellent example of that, where that she's just been overlaid and overlaid and overlaid, and you get like the meter's worth a thatch. The rafters would have failed completely completely snapped, but it will be self supporting enough to it's kind of hold its own ways up, which is quite incredible. Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that post earlier on and it was I was thinking, that is how much of that what is apparent to structural form is actually the read itself is the thatch, and how much is what Like on my house, it's all all Welsh slate tiles, so it has to be a really strong ridgeboard to support all that you know is the read is self supporting. It is architecturally stable to a point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to a certain degree. I mean the plus side. I mean, if it's just like a foot worth of that load wise, it's not that horrendous. Obviously, the thicker it gets, it all kind of last. And there's a lot of fudge factor built into kind of rafter design and all the rest of it, so it will kind of it'll last. But if you look at some of those photos and those those ash pole raft is held together with their cobwebs and a bit of wishful for thinking, really there wasn't much left of them. It was a bit so I was like, I looked at it, I was like, oh, my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't want to be crawling around on that route.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, yeah, no.
Speaker 4: And Chris did come a cropper a few years back because of the opinion of a year of a certain building control officer and said, oh, they'll be fine, and my brother said, no, it's not going to last. And one did actually well and back and bright in the face, and there's a few interesting conversations which went on after that.
Speaker 1: I can imagine one of the things that I'm interested with when it comes to water read and stuff like this is this is something that your brother highlighted to me a few years ago, is that much like thatching straw, there is a massive shortage in this country. So we here in East Anglia in particular, you know we should be and as you said, we now have to we'd like for like, so do this where is our reed coming from? Because we're not cutting it here, are we?
Speaker 4: So a certain amount is you can go back as far as the nineteen twenties. There was an identified shortage back then, so but then it started to come more to the four in the nineteen sixties with the Rural Industry's Bureau raised that this was an increase in problem. And then as kind of times have changed and you've got in the latter half of the twentieth century, there was so much wetland drainage and the view is we've probably lost up to about fifty percent of our reed beds in the second half of the year the century. So there's an immediate supply issue there because there's not enough of it. And then when you add to that the decline in the number of reed cutters and there's some really good research carried out a couple of years back by a lovely lady called Hannah Millet, who has just done a master's in architecture, and she identified there's only about thirty five reed cutters and that's including part time and semi retired and the whole the UK, including Northern Ireland. That's obviously a bit of a problem. So now depending on whose figures you use supply the usage you're looking at, estimates of UK grown read about between ten two two and a half three percent and the rest is all imported, which has got an absolutely bonkers of math.
Speaker 1: Where's it coming from? Then, andy all over.
Speaker 4: The globe, so there's quite despite there's quite a lot which comes over from Poland and Ukraine and certainly from my dad when he started getting deliveries back in the nineties. I think that was where it was coming from. Was that once the island Iron Cerson came down and opened up like Eastern Europe, that's it's just going to became a watch So Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, Turkey and ridiculously as far away as China where it has to be driven a thousand miles from the reedbeds to the port and then shipped over, which is well. I think one of the best things about thatch in regards to whether you're using straw come red read is it really it should be a carbon neutral roofing material because the materials obviously biody gradible. Pretty much everything which goes on can be recycled. But then you've had this huge carbon footprint onto it. It's bonkers.
Speaker 2: You've got to think of people are driving around the Bucolic English countryside looking at all these wonderful thatch roofs thinking oh, there we have an ancient local material doing it in the natural way. They don't realize that it's got more carbon in that process than shipping timber in from Canada or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's not good. I know that the globe theater is it's down to be re thatched re thatch in the eighties, but for some reason there was a decision made to spray on this supposedly fire proof retardant material on it, which given the fact that well, any thatching material, the idea is that it automatically sheds moisture. So it's a bit of a waste of time anyhow, But it absolutely trashed the roof completely, and really you've got now what, thirty years out of a roof which would have lasted fifty sixty plus. And they have actually kind of put aside a bunch of Norfolk reed to re thatch this, which is really good that you're getting UK grown reed to kind of go back on such an iconic structure.
Speaker 1: So they will actually be doing it. So therefore the problem we have, by the sound of it, is the surprise, surprise, we've got habitat loss, so we've got fifty loss of that, but there aren't the reed cut But am I correct in saying that? Also there are other hands at work who are almost trying to stop read from being cut because it is perceived now that this sort of management is somehow bad for nature and bad for wildlife.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So the most iconic bird which people kind of think about when it comes to reedbed is the bitten and bitten population up and down, up and down, right up until we get to nineteen ninety seven and you'd only got eleven booming males left. Now, a couple of years beforehand, you've got the UK bio Diversity Action Plan came out and you read this, and there's this one term which comes out constantly, which is called fabable management. But if you look at a bit of interpretation favorable management. Despite the fact, you know you've got march harriers, bearded tipps, et cetera, which all rely and like seven hundred or so species of invertebrate which are which rely on on reedbed for their habitat, the management is purely based on that, on kind of supporting the bitten and then from there the habitat kind of pans have kind of come out from a couple of case studies which were done in ninety six, and there've been a little bit of other research here and there where it's thrown out some quite these figures which people have kind of absolutely kind of hanging themselves out to dry and like this is it. So if you think back to the show a few years a couple of years back, which talked about oxy coostin use and when they kind of pushed that out in Americans and oh, this study said it's not addictive, and ever it was so limited it was bombers. This has been the case with reed bed. Basically that there's a couple of figures which have been banded around, which basically the first one is you can leave if you can cut up to thirty percent of it and it will be fine. And then the other one is that you need up to twenty hectare or twenty hectares upwards of reed bed for bittens to be successful. But then there's always a butt. Okay, we've now gone from what eleven booming males in ninety seven and we're we're around about two hundred and thirty four two hundred and forty something along those kind of lines that the last count. So clearly within the UK there's only about fifty large scale reed beds. There's only really been two which have been large scale, which have been created over the last couple of over the last ten to fifteen years. You've got one in Lake and he just down the road from you in Suffolk, one in Sandy which is just down from Saint Nits in Bedfordshire, and there hasn't really been much like kind of growth. But despite that, bitter numbers have gone through the roof. So you would question or do they actually need this this twenty hectares because if you think if that was the case, well would have stayed at a flat there would be no growth.
Speaker 2: No, no, how much was studying, how much was supposition and position they wanted to stay out.
Speaker 4: To be fair, I did email one of the one of the researchers who did some of this, and he said, okay, yeah, I said, you know what, there's some quite limited numbers here and basically said, you know, completely fair point. If you got things back to school, but a long time ago, if you're doing a science experience, you would typically have like a control thing and then you would do all your variables. Well there wasn't You didn't have the bitter population or the kind of the rebeds kind of being properly managed to have the range of variables. So the modeling was quite limited. And he did quite say, your hands up, it's very limited, and really what could do with happening now that we have Bitten's occupying Give me a second look at my We've now got had like a twenty twenty seven percent population increase and they've gone from seven sites to one hundred and three, of which only twenty three percent of the bitten population common like a triple s. I you think, really do we need all these protections? If you look at what some of the other research which has happened over in Holland, they said, oh you can. There's not really a huge amount of difference if you leave you up to fifteen percent just kind of leave around the edges. There does need to be some element of policing. I completely get that, and I don't I would never for one second say let's go crazy and cut down every single piece of reed, which we could, but I think there certainly could be a more happy medium.
Speaker 2: Struck with the cutting of the reeds. I'm thinking about coppice woodland and saying coppicing hazel so I know how to you've got one single hazel tree, I know how to take that and turn that into several and then how often I can come back to that and get the same crop again and again in some kind of predictable manner. Is it the same with reed beds? Is it that you cut here and then three years later, five years later, seven years later you can come back, or do you have to start against somewhere else?
Speaker 4: It really does depend on what your what you want to use it for is the so it depends. I appreciate that's a very very academic answer, but it really does depend no, so ideally for thatching, what you are after is something called single whale, so.
Speaker 2: Whale as in the fishish fish shaped.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, so that's the correct that is the correct term. But basically it's cut on an annual basis, and you can get double whale, which is cut every two years. Now the reason why that just typically won't They don't like double whale as much because the reader has been dead for longer, the stems aren't too strong, et cetera, So preferably you would clean it out. I mean, you do get like a variety of different management techniques depending on what you want to load of what you want to do with it. You can get management cuts which are every seven years. But if you want to bring a reed bed back into kind of commercial use, if it's been left to kind of do its own thing for five seven years or so, you'll need to go through it will be like a full clear out. You will probably have to do a shallow burn and burning it nepsepter technique, which will because what happens reeds grow pretty quickly come November, start to die. All the kind of litter drops down and it gets all clagged up and with the clag reeds will then kind of go up. They'll start growing up weird angles and stuff like that. You know, it's not straight, it's not good for what you want for that jing, so you kind of go in. You then burn it all out and then you can kind of start from scratch. But for the for those who are kind of more into the environmental stuff, I mean, they're talking like, you know, ten fifteen plus years, which is really not ideal because and does fly in the face of the management evidence because reed bed will naturally want to see to to car and scrubland. Okay, so I'll automatically start getting all these trees and stuff like that in there. You then are offering purchase for predating birds as well. And also as you get more and more, little will build up in the actual in the base of the bed itself, it will start to dry out. So if you leave it and leave it and leave it will just end up with this overgrown, dried out mess, which is not really much used to anybody.
Speaker 3: So hold the front page.
Speaker 1: You aren't going to rewhile the reed bed if you want to go and have it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Now this is interesting because I spoke to the chap who cuts the reeds down at Hadisko Islands.
Speaker 2: You actually spoke to the fellow who cut the reed.
Speaker 1: I spoke to the fellow who cut the reed rather than the hay. Yeah, yes, that's a niche reference. It is a very niche reference, especially seeing as he is the one of the greatest Suffolk writers.
Speaker 3: God bless him.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I spoke to the guy who cuts the reeds at Hadisko Island and he was saying that basically it's almost it's a god forsaken job now because he's not allowed to burn the stubble anymore, and he's got some sort of fungus or or rot that's in the base of this thing. Because people say, oh, you've got to keep it for so long, and then when he cuts it, it's not very popular with the thatchers, because as you've already said, it's it's basically weakened. But secondly, he said that the regrowth is that if you almost stubble burn it, it clears out this fungusy type thing he was saying about, sort of almost like a rust, and he said, and then it will freshen it all up. But he's not allowed to do that. I mean is that right, is a sort of a stubble burning is part of read management.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think you can do deep burn as well. It's not just a shallow burn. You can go all the way through. And these are kind of approved techniques. I'm not quite coming out with stuff out of kind of back of a fag packet and said this this, and this has been kind of approved way back from nineteen ninety six by a book which is actually produced by the RSPB called Bringing read Beds to Life. So it is kind of I would say, when I've been doing my research, is part of my PhD, there is quite a you do get to find this kind of conflict of information where your people one personal say this and one personal say that. And you do have certain individuals, because of the position which they're in, one of authority, that they all just kind of make decisions which kind of completely flies the face of the policies which their own organizations promote. I mean, it is kind of well documented that commercial management of rebeds is not kind of polar opposite to what you're going to need to do to support the environment and the habitat and the bitters and all the rest of it. It's the case of sensibly doing it. But yeah, you're just unfortunately you've got some very very entrenched positions because of because obviously, yeah, you can understand where people we've lost so much REBD over the last fifty years. You can, I do kind of get where they're coming from, and they don't want kind of unfettered, unrestricted draining and clear it out again and turn it into purely for food.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's a bit like it's a bit like risk management. If you're somebody whose whole job is I don't know, fire safety or something like that, or you know, shark attacks. If you're a architects specialists, you say, then the most important thing you should ever do is never go in the water, because you won't get attacked by sharks. Then if your whole thing is reducing the carbon release of one particular thing, then you're going to be hyper focused on that and not pragmatic management at a wider scale. And I always think this with radical conservation and things like you know, rewarding or just destroying an entire industry or destroying an entire practice is radical that you should if you're the one proposing the radical intervention or the radical solution. It should the onus should be on you to prove that that's going to work, not on the existing practice to prove that that, well, the existing practice already has data, the existing practice we already know. Do more of this, less of this, this tends to happen. We can do this instead, we can swap this technique out for that. You already have that to work with, whereas the radical just stop or just turn it over to something else. Is it's unfair that that should be given immediate priority rather than allowing the process to change itself. That was a really poorly explained thing, Richard.
Speaker 1: No, I think I tell what I'm going to put it into a different way. I have just done some science which will please Andy because he's now an academic, he's no longer a sapper.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I like this bit yet.
Speaker 3: Right, So we've.
Speaker 1: Done some science which is basically along the lines of what you're looking at. Is that we now know because well we yo calls have known for long, long while. The hedges that you lay is an important part of the rotational management of and the GWCT did some research which said, yes, definitely they are batting above their average. If you lay a hedge in rotator as part of the rotational management of it that they are batting above their average for biodiversity. Now Here in East Aglia, we don't have a lot of livestock, so therefore what we tend to do is that we go to the default setting, which is, oh, I'm going to go and make this quite pretty laid hedge, which is a Midland bullock style. So there's got lots of steaks, lots of binders, and there you go. Isn't that lovely? Everyone looks pretty, seven goes brilliant, It looks like you've done something, and the human brain goes it looks pretty and it looks attractive, so therefore it must be good.
Speaker 3: Right now. That's all and good.
Speaker 1: But unfortunately, as Richard testify, is that our coppice woods are in a parlor state here, so therefore we haven't got a huge amount of easily accessible coppice steaks for very few coppiet binders. But also more importantly is the style of Midland bullock style. Hedgelaying is a Midland style and it was supposed to go and stop bullocks from moving from one field.
Speaker 3: To the other.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't need to hedge lay wheat on either side. I tell you what, blackgrass isn't going to stop, and that's the only thing that's going to go, and it's going to go back around not much More's no straying oil seed rape here, not on my watch. So therefore what we did at the Barkers, who are one of the wonderful farmers in our High Suffolk farm cluster. We've got a test field where we've done different styles of hedgerow management, and one of which we've just done is that we laid in steak and bind bound and we've also then next to it, done what we'd call a conservation style, which has got very few steaks in. It's just crooked in place. It's laid a lot lower. Esthetically, it's not half as pretty as what the Midland bullock style is, the middle and Bullock styles. I sort of thing, oh yes, I'm going to get three thousand likes on X with that one. If I go and show one of my conservation laid ones, there's about seventy three people go. I like that because then what they're looking at the rest of them, what have you done if you run a tractor over it or something.
Speaker 2: It looks like a linear brush pile.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: But what we're trying to actually say is that in this setting that the esthetics matter bugger all in my mind, and actually it's going to do achieve just the same sort of thing. So I guess what you were almost trying to say here, or what I'm putting to you, Andy, is that the management of.
Speaker 3: Reads so that we get a.
Speaker 1: Usable product from it, that it's also possible that this is a very good thing for conservation, a bit like laying a heedge in conservation style or coppasing a wood so that you are going to get rejuvenation of stools. Is that basically almost what you're trying to prove with your PhD.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, that is commercial management very much is and will promote when it's unsensibly. Okay, we'll promote wildlife absolutely because I said if you if you just leave it and leave it and leave it, you know you're going to lose the habitat. It is as simple as that. So I don't get why people think, oh, yeah, just leave it twenty years do conservation cuts? I think one of the issues which you get because where you've got the con stewardship grants. There's no real differentiation between the payments you can get. So there you going through and doing like a full kind of clear out cut, which you would need to bring a rebed back to kind of commercial managements. Takes a lot of work, it's hard going, but there's no differentiation between that and kind of cutting it properly for to be used for thatching, and the time and effort which goes into that. So you can kind of go in with your seegia, Mama, cut it all back, break it up, burn it, be done with it, don't put it for a microhabitat. There's no difference.
Speaker 1: I mean, what downside is there? So we're going to go in and we're going to go and manage it. Now, it would be true that when I manage a length of hedge, one of the things that I don't do is I don't lay every single hedge on the farm or indeed in that one field any one time, because I'm thinking about it. I don't want a denude habitat. So there must be a downside of cutting reed down. And I suppose the bitten is the thing because they like thick reeds. But I mean, is there a sort of an optimal amount. So let's say you've got ten hectares of reed bed and let's make it actually realistic five hectares of reed bed. What proportion would you say could should be cut so it is commercially viable, but also the fact that you're not denuding the whole landscape just so we've got lots of thatching store that your brother can go and turn into this witchcraft on top of roofs.
Speaker 4: So I would estimate that you could take up to fifty percent. And I would say it would depend on where you're cutting, because you do want to leave run the peripheries alone because that's where you're going to get that that's where you're going to get your bits and that's where they want to be. But so you can probably take around about fifty percent ish, Okay, that kind of Again, it's like, and you would understand it be in business minutes, you've got to look at kind of the reed cutter. Is it commercially viable to come and do so you're not going to get guys who are going to drive, you know, five hours to do like half hect air or whatever and get like five hundred bundles. It's got to be it's got to be sufficient that they're going to get that they're going to get the money's worth.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 3: What's the process and for cutting reed beds.
Speaker 4: Well, timing is key. It's kind of the first thing. Water control is the biggiest. So typically you'll be looking at cutting any you can cut anywhere really from November, once the glitter's gone up until depending on the how warm winter is around about March April sort of time. And this is down to ground nesting birds. Okay, uh and then will the most reed cutters are not actually reed bed owners, they're contractors exactly the same is shoe.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: So'll be told right, I can come in and then it will depend on you. They do have a range of different equipment. You've got some really quite jazzy self propelled kind of on tracks, one which will kind of it will come along, open up, drive along, cut it, sling it in the back. It's absolutely fantastic. Or you've got these these gear cutters. Other brands are available.
Speaker 1: No, they might sponsor us. No, they might sponsor us. I don't care.
Speaker 3: I love to see cutters.
Speaker 4: They're brilliant, But basically i'd say the easiest way it looks like it looks like an old fashioned rotavates. You've got two handles, you've got a motor in front, and you've got the he'll go along and he'll cut it. They will have a not tire with it, and apparently that's kind of that is key because then you'll get your your bundles and then you go along your cut however much. You'll then go and stack your your bundles up and they need to be dry. Keeping them again, the water level is key. You do not want to be cutting it wet and dropping it into the wet. They do need to be kind of dry and having kind of opened up this way, We've had some important stuff and I've been working for dad on on leave and whatnot before I join the army. You get like a bale of reed turns up and it's been harvested when it's wet and you open up and oh god, it stinks and it's absolutely molded to how you can't use it. It's just going to rot. So yeah, and depending on kind of where you are, so up on the tay, which is the it's one of the biggest areas of REBD within the UK because it's tidal. They can only cut what they can take off in a day, because obviously you leave it there, it's just going to end up out in the halfway to the Pharaoh Islands pretty quickly, so which is not ideal. So yeah, and storage is also a bit of a problem because you do need to keep it dry. And again, if you're a rebed, if you're contractor, you don't necessarily have a huge amount like storage space, so you've got to find that. And you can imagine ten twenty thousand bundles of reed does take up quite a lot of space.
Speaker 2: You mentioned tidal that and not actually considered that because I know all about read all my life's been spent on the western half of the country, so it's it's soule tolerant. It will it will live in brackish water.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean I spend huge amounts of times during the World fowling season wedged in the reed beds around Hadisko Island, of which there are a massive sea and we have works parties where we cut rides through so you can get to the river frontage, which is tidal estuary, and it's quite a claustrophobic experience. My my family are all from Southwold and the hen reed beds and the raid and reed beds and all those places. They were all working reed beds up until relatively recently. So clearly reed beds as a working entity are a very long standing thing, aren't they handy?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, And you can obviously kind of look you look only despite what you get the lovely Roman mosaics and you think, oh it's very nice. It's all child and stuff like that. That's just a little snap shots. So the US read for thousands and thousands of years for for thatching. You can there's kind of ancient or ancient as in kind of Tudor level era law about how much you can cut and when you can cut.
Speaker 1: Believe it or not.
Speaker 4: Are from up in Lincolnshire, so yeah, it's really is kind of it's part of the culture. It's been a working environment for for a long time. And I think kind of one of the things that I want to kind of push is that when people think about sustainability, you know, if they think about kind of carbon footprints and stuff like that, and ultimately you've got three pillars of sustainability, and they don't think about the impact on the people and the social aspect of this, and what if we carry on kind of down the route which we are at the moment where you know, it's kind of just making life so difficult for our red cutters. We're going to lose them. I said, you're only got thirty five at the moment, and that figure is a couple of years. Oh so it could be a little bit less, it could be a little bit more, and it will go and we'll just lose past a key part of this our heritage.
Speaker 2: We interrupt this episode to bring you an advert, not a paid advert, just one that was sent in by one of our listeners.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: My name is David Naggs and I run Arbitrary in in Here in Durham. We specialize and police approve firearm safety cases, which are a great place to start for anyone applying for a firearm certificate. We have a private range and shoot any caliber from fifty to three hundred yards with various steel targets and also a programmable running target. We run a mini rifle club and do rifle experience days too. We also offer bespoke training courses for stalking and vermin control, and safety courses for actors and security personnel. So find us on our socials at ARC Firearms Training or drop us an email at ARC Training at Bellshouse farm dot com. Thank you.
Speaker 2: If you have a small rural business and you would like to have your advert as I suppose you could call it read out on the Country Slide podcast, then emailers using the link that's in the show notes. I discovered this thing the other day is at Risk Skills Register. It's such a traditional heritage skills and crafts that are begraded on a website like a protected species almost like that, so it's endangered and extinct and red listed and so on. And I think reed cutting was on therecause I know highland thatching with heather thatching is on there as almost.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that is rare as tend state that there's not very many people who can do that.
Speaker 2: Now we've got It's not my field, it's the neighbors field, but I've got my eye on it. It's about ten to fifteen acres of fairly wet clay bottomed flat field. So I wanted to construct a reed bed and make it into a reed bed, and I had access to a huge excavator and unlimited resources could I do it? And how would I do it? And how long would it take before it was filled with bittens?
Speaker 4: So yeah, it can be done, and said they are doing it over I said that down in the project over in sandy Is that's been going on for quite some time. It really does. It does depend on what you want to do with it, because if you are looking at it to kind of bringing it into commercial use, you would kind of design it kind of ever societly differently, and water control is kind of is absolutely key. There are different ways of kind of introducing red. You can literally go through and little and go in literally plant or the rhine zones in as well. And then obviously it's just times the water supply is kind of it is a biggie because they do obviously being a wetland, they do need a lot of water. And this is when they've looked at doing this over in Norfolk. This is kind of a bit of a limiting factor because of randomly enough of supply of water. They'd love to put more, yeah that they'd they'd love to go have more reedbeds, but it's because and create them from scratch.
Speaker 3: Because they've drained it too well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's I mean, that's that that people could wax lyrical about the Broads and there's nothing that a noise anyone from Suffolk. More, when people called the Broads the Norfolk Broads, because that is to dismiss all the Suffolk bit of the Broads, you know, Bungie and Beccles and and that sort of way.
Speaker 2: I honestly didn't know you hadn't me.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, yes, that's why it's called the Broads.
Speaker 3: But people called the Norfolk Broads.
Speaker 1: And I think it's probably I'd blame visit England or something like that, is they wanted to give it. Well. One of the funny things about the Broads is that the largely the reason it actually arrived was by accident. It's just people were no, it's not natural. They were just digging bits and bobs out saying, well, there's some pete, or we're going to go and drain that bit there because that's quite handy.
Speaker 3: We're going to go and work that.
Speaker 1: And then these mirrors appeared and and you know, like so much of our landscape, it's not natural. Am I right in saying Andy that One of the amazing things about reeds, they're brilliant for filtering nasty stuff.
Speaker 4: Ye apps, Yeah, they are absolutely fantastic. So they've got they started off kind of looking at this about forty odd years back, where you've got a heathrow randomly enough where so where they de ice the planes. Obviously there's a lot of glycol that comes off of it, and the last thing you want is that then running off the off onto the apron and kind of filtering down into the aquafas so that it goes through and it does filter out and you can use it for sewage works. It's quite common for old mining sites as well. We'll get rid of heavy metals and stuff like that. Disappointingly enough, though, it's a fantastic medium for filtering out the nasties. But where it absorbs all the gunk, you can't use it. Nobody would be happy to put that on a roof because you don't know because obviously it's got all this stuff in there, and you just don't know how long it's gonna last. And ultimately, a thatcher is kind of judged by the quality of their work by its longevity, and it's too much of it, it's too much for gamble.
Speaker 2: I get you that stuff that's planted in mitigation sites and the new building sites and things. That's a different species, isn't it?
Speaker 4: No same species?
Speaker 1: Is it exactly the same fragi Mighties Australis. That's the one, eh, it is the same species. Yes, Latin I hate, but this is one of the few things I can remember is that Fragimities Australis is read. But I used to use in virtually every single wild fowling piece I ever wrote for the Shooting Times because I quite like this sort of fragi Mighties Australis. I thought it made me sound clever, so I just used it all the time. Is my backdrop of fragimities or ASTs. So sadly we can use it to filter nasty stuff Fragimities Australist, but we can't use it as thatching straw. So therefore we're almost gonna have to or a thatching material should I say, we can't, So you'd have to grow it specifically with that in mind that it's got to be for wildlife.
Speaker 3: But there is also an end of use that's yeah.
Speaker 4: Water quality is.
Speaker 3: It's key.
Speaker 4: You do not want the night rates okay in there, and that's to be fair that's exactly the same with their with straw. You do not want a bunch of nitrates in there because it will just start kind of. It's just yeah, it doesn't do it any good to put it moildly.
Speaker 2: Because one of the things happening in the valley here is someone is talking about setting up a farm cluster. But for natural flood management, yeah, because I have everything out here is either the bit the flood comes from or the bit where the flood sits. It's either all. And one of the things we were looking at was sort of reed beds and things like that, because it's not necessarily natural flood management, but it is. It's catchment for slurry r enough because you can't get everyone to join the cluster, but they are spreading slurry and they are doing it in one hundreds and thousands of gallons on huge, huge areas when there's nothing on the ground to take it up. So it's just washing straight back down into the water course. So if we can collect it, I don't get it to catch somewhere other than the base of a hedge. It's not gonna be great for it's not gonna be great for read bed for thatching, but no one's got a thatch roof around here.
Speaker 4: The plus side is that reed bed regardless kind of whether it's used for thatching or not, you will still get the benefit from the species which will.
Speaker 2: Choose to live there accidentally do some good.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, so there will be some kind of Yeah, you can't use for thatching, but there will definitely be some form of benefit from it if they're not. Reason you're preventing all the nasties going into the hedges and stuff like that. It's another habitat which you're providing different species, just not for that you.
Speaker 1: One of the things I'm interested in is you're saying there's thirty five reed cutters left.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm a bit of an evangelist as a hedge layer, and so not only do I go and use social media to show what we're doing, but I go off and I give talks to young farmers clubs, and I go and do things at the Suffolk Show and various shows around the place, sort of saying not so much look at the beauty of my craft, but more the fact that make hedgerows interesting to people, so therefore they might want to go and perhaps get involved because I think.
Speaker 3: We're told by the previous.
Speaker 1: Government and this government's adopted it, that there's going to be one hundred and forty five thousand miles of new hedgerow that are going to be planted in this country by twenty thirty, which is going to happen because as when we spoke with Harry Hoblin, who actually grows the plants, saying ain't going to happen. But also my worry is that we haven't got the infrastructure aid to plant them and then be going forward. We haven't got the individuals who are going to manage those hedgerows well, so therefore they actually maximize their potential. We are going to have lots of lines of lollipops clad in plastic, which will either wither and die or just be pretty crap because they'll just be like little lollipops. If we're going to get better and more rebeds about, we're going to need to dovetail that with more reed cutters. How do we go about doing it? Do you mean, what's a bit chicken in the egg? Who do we need first more rebeds or more reedcutters?
Speaker 4: A bit of both really, because having spoken as very knowledgeable guy called Richard Starling. I think he's now semi retired, but he's kind of the fonts of all knowledge when it comes to kind of training up recutters. So the obviously recutters. Typically it's like a one or two man band, so you know when you're not. It's like with any businessman. I can imagine when you're training somebody up as a hedge cutter, as a hedge layer, for example, when you're not laying hedge, obviously you're losing time and kind of capability. So ideally their kind of recommendation is that there are some grant. They have trained a few people up over the last ten or fifteen years, this guy called Paul ed Eldridge and Rowan or I can't remember his surname off the top of my head now, which is really annoying. But they were trained up for a grant and you'll kind of do like boat license because obviously you need your boat a boat to kind of get in and off the off the beds like chainsaw and that kind of stuff. And really they do need to come in as somebody who is self employed. But you need it's the chicken and egg. You need the training and you need somebody who is you could idea do with like a couple of years at least of working alongside and experienced cutter, so that most of the problems which you would then which would likely come across, particularly in like terms of mechanical issues where where you get you can deal with. But it's and then but it's very seasonal. So what do you do past April? When you when you when you can't cut and you can do that there is kind of like general REBD management and wetland management which you can do, uh, but obviously it's quite limited. I mean, but when I was was working with Dad, and this is going back quite a long long time now, but sedge was your traditional Richmond cereal and you'd be able to cut sedge in summer and you were cut reading winter. But now sedge is pretty rare. This is either there's not very many people use it. It's certainly not as commonly used now.
Speaker 1: Instead yes they.
Speaker 4: So again you've kind of lost this kind of opportunity where somebody you've got somebody could be doing something else to produce thatchy material over the summer period. So it's really kind of difficult, which is why you do get quite a few part time cutters as well.
Speaker 2: This is a bit like the coppering quandary because it's the same sort of thing. If you're harvesting a natural material, you've kind of got this this enforced period of dormancy for your work. When everything's growing. You're just sat there twiddling your thumbs waiting for stuff to grow again, which is absolutely fine when that was your winter work when you were a farm laborer and you were doing something else and then you were plowing, and then you were harvesting, and then you were back coppering or hedge laying or whatever. But this, that kind of seasonal work doesn't if you've now got to dedicate your own entire life to it, It doesn't make sense on the spreadsheet, does it? Or in the bank?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, financially it's financially it's yeah, it's hard going. I mean, the price of reed did jump up significantly when Putin invaded Ukraine. It kind of went jumped up to about seven pounds of bundle. It has kind of calmed down a bit now, but it's still there wasn't really a huge amount of price gain for there over the previous twenty years or so, despite obviously inflation and everything like that. It's you don't see too many reed cutters, like cutting around in ferraris.
Speaker 3: No hedge layers. I mean, you've hit the nail on the head there, Richard.
Speaker 1: To be perfectly frank, is that one of the reasons we can't honestly take an apprentice or two we would need two apprentices to actually make it work, is because we start hedge laying in September and then we will finish on the last day of March. Because exactly the same reason as you've said, Andy, is the nesting birds. You know, with what is hardly much point us go and say, what wonderful conservationists. We are almost suddenly going and laying the thing that the yellow hammer's trying to nest it. So therefore, you know, we only have a certain amount of time that we can fit, you know, our work in. So it's difficult because I suppose because it's a seasonal apprenticeship. Apprenticeships don't work with seasonality, and I think so much of these co proper conservation jobs. You're doing a lot of the intensive stuff where you've got to go and learn a skill do the hard graft is a winter job because as Richard's correctly said that used to be done on the farm and it was the winter work which had been done. So, for example, back to the hades to go reed beds is the reed cutter there. He was the marshman, so he had his cattle grazing out on the grazing marshes, and so therefore he was moving them about, and then he went off and he was cutting reeds in the winter when he had bought his cattle in undercover, and that was his winter work. You can't build a modern apprenticeship around that. Have you got a solution that you're trying to almost think around that? Andy with you with your studies.
Speaker 4: It's not something I've looked at specifically. I do know it's kind of it is kind of a documented issue, and it's it's a real chicken and egg situation. We've got a well, we need the reed beds available to cut. At the same time, you know, it's getting people in to do it. I mean, it's hard work. I'm perhaps whether it's I'm a soft week. I went out a couple of years last year and I had a few hours with Paul and Row and I was watching what they were doing they're cutting a bed up near ludden and kind of get and it's hard going. I mean even behind one of the seas it's still kind of where you get the water. Deer well, they love trapesing through the reed beds. They trample everything down, so you're going to push that through. And then once you've cut the reed, an r foot broad bundle will typically be about two or three foot in diameter, and if it's slightly where it's heavy, you start lugging them around. It's hard going, it's not you know, it's a physically demanding job.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest challenges and pities I think is that I have got the thing somewhere I haven't gotten to hand. But I think it's around British universities currently run. There are eighty eight different courses being run to produce ecologists, with something like eight thousand graduates coming out each year going for around eight hundred jobs. Now, these are all people who are clearly engaged with the natural world. They clearly love wildlife in different shapes of form. They've got specific loves and I think there are so few jobs though, like you say, as a reed cutter, you would be you know, you come from a line of what is it your fourth fifth generation Thatcher?
Speaker 4: Your yes, well now with my nephew it's five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so five generations of Thatchers. You decided to go and look at the raw material, you know, with a scientie an academics eye, and that knowledge though that you had because you have that core of being a practitioner first and then became an academic second, and also your rall engineers background made you understand how structures work. I mean, that's really quite the golden ticket. And I often think about what a pity that so many of these young, very keen ecologists are coming out get thoroughly disillusioned. Half the time, they end up working for less than minimum wage because they end up working for a charity that they know that there's fifty applicants for every single role that comes up. Why aren't we encouraging them to be the next generation of reed cutters, the next generation of hedge layers, the next generation of coppices who were all missing these individuals, you know, because, like I say, the one thing everyone would like to have more reed beds. Well, you've just explained a bed is only going to be really punching above its weight for the environment, not only for wildlife, but also for carbon and all those things, because we haven't got to bring them on the slow boat to China. If we started to go and manage that, if we had more recutters coming from that ecologist mindset, it would be such a great thing. But it seems to be that we're just obsessed we've got to produce yet more academics, rather than we've got to produce more practitioners. I mean, you've been an academic for how.
Speaker 4: Long now, Andy, just shy of eight years?
Speaker 1: Okay, So do you think that there is a slight problem in your new world that we're lacking people with monkey shovel hands like ours, because that seems to me, Yes, it seems to me. A problem, if you ask me, is that we've got lots of people, We've got lots of know how, but they haven't done the hard yards like you have before or they became academics. Do you share my embittered mindset?
Speaker 2: That was a manifesto?
Speaker 4: It's it's difficult because education is very much a public good and there's all kinds of research out there about kind of whid the benefits of going to university earning and all the rest of it. But the same time, I do recognize it in certain sectors. The grad market is flooded, and it's so I do look at people, like I said, you know, who are leaving with some really really fantastic qualifications and a lot of passion about there with their subject, but there's just not the roles there for them, and that's really really hard.
Speaker 2: I was talking to somebody up here the other week about something quite similar to this, and I'm not going to say who they are, but they're they're working in a university up here in North Wales and doing a similar sort of role. And their take was that if they can get hold of that student, they can get hold of that sixteen, seventeen, eighteen year old and say, okay, these are the options as they see the market now, these are the options for work training, vocational training and so on. They can give that person more options. The problem sometimes comes that they're being asked. They're at sixth form or something like that, and they're asking a teacher what you should do for work, and a teacher says, we should go to university. And when you go to university, the only thing related to nature available to you is zoology or ecology basically, or countryside management, but then that tends to skew back towards other things. So there aren't many options there to be able to go off and do your thing. And unless you don't get to speak to somebody who actually knows about the vocational side of it, then you might just you might get stuck in that degree path and then it costs so much now as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I'm my oldest and he's about to do his A levels or finish his A levels this year, and he's a little bit uncertain as to what he wants to do. And I've said, you know, I'm not going to hound you and say go to university just for the sake of it, because it's it's so flipping expensive, and you do really if you're going to go to university now, I think you do really need to have an idea about where about kind of where you see yourself and kind of the you know, and how it's going to three years of university and how many thousand pounds that's going to cost thirty some things. Oh yeah, and then plus you're living and all the rest of it. You know, it's where that's going to lead you for your career path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because a you rise of becoming a senior acologist at a consultancy or something like that, you're still only earning in the high thirties low forties. I think at the moment, depending on where you are.
Speaker 3: You might as well be a hedge lager because even I can earn more than that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, Yeah, I mean I think where you've got changes in legislation kind of requirements for biodiversity net gain with large developments, where you're looking at kind of the requirements around environmental impact to set what's going to come in from construction, I think potentially there is going to be more of a market out there. They just need I think potentially people do need to think I'm not just going to go work for like a Metland Trust whatever. Do you think I could go work for I'm not going to start dropping names, but I could go work for this organization? Is this organization and be in like an ecologist's role.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They don't necessarily understand that those opportunities are out there.
Speaker 3: Can I ask a question?
Speaker 1: Then, Andy, So you are going to be the one of the few, if not only doctor of reeds and I think you must get a card made up saying and superhero comics. Yes, doctor read right if you had, because when you become a doctor, you know, once you've you'd become doctor Dodson, you suddenly people go, oh, well, that's very important if you had a manifest though two Firstly, we need more reed beds, but secondly we need more working reed beds. And thirdly we need knowledgeable people who are going to manage them with both a mind that they're a working environment but they're also a home to wildlife. What's going to be your couple of takeaway points that we as a society in this country could do without it costing too much money. What can we do to actually achieve those three things? More working and people's look after them. What do you think we should do?
Speaker 4: The first thing, which is going to be absolutely critical is the data, and that will be an up to date analysis of reed beds as a habitat for protected species with a variety of different management patterns undertaken over a prolonged period, so five years or so, so we have a data set then rather than something which is done over a couple of years with a very limited data sex that's kind of where everything's based on there, and then from there we can then say, okay, we know that we can leave you know, thirty of the reedbed in this particular cutting pattern. Forming omesaic will still provide the habitat which we want for our wildlife to prosper to thrive. But at the same time that that is kind of that that would be my absolute number one priority. Get that data out there, and then once we've got the data out there, we can that that is then going to I think it's going to be an education piece on the part of for certain kind of sect Uh. It is frustrating because there are people within the RSPB, within the Wetland Trust who are really pro commercial management. There's done as a site just down the road well up from you outside on the way to Newmarket. It's tripless. I they want to turn it into back into commercial rebed management, which I think is absolutely amazing, and it needs that education piece, that dissemination that commercial cutting is not that the this absolute calamity which certain people would have us believe, so that the magic wand change in mindset, please okay and I and change the culture. But that how you I think that would what that would take again, would be several years of it being done in practice and for the figures to demonstrate Yeah you would. I would like to hope you would still will see that increase in bitter numbers. Oh wow, actually this can happen. And then I would also say, you know when I speak to like Rowan and Paul and guys like that, and they talk about their kind of experiences out on the marsh is cutting and again you know, seeing all the different wildlife kind of up close personal for the certain for like the ecologies who do find that really kind of interesting saying yeah, this is an opportunity where you can create an ideal habitat for them and going to get people.
Speaker 1: In Okay, I've got a means here of doing that because I get exactly what you're saying. And one of the things but in you know, the last decade I've been this evangelist is that we can have our cake and eat it is that you you know, we can manage hedgerows and we know that it does it better for them. And it's now getting to a point where even some of the absolute keyboard warriors who used to infest Twitter as it used to be called and that they're actually shut in their gobs. Now about that, you need to get the physical so that the data, I think is huge and important, but you almost need to get the what's it called the social buy in that something being managed is not necessarily a terrible thing. And Rewilding did a terrible disservice because it gave sucker to these people that you could if you just left it alone and ran away, that it was somehow going to be better. We've got a friend of ours, friend of the show called Tarquin Millington Drake who takes people up to Grousemor's and says, look, when you manage a more properly and you aren't tearing the ass out of it by trying to shoot ten gazillion brace every single year, but you're still managing it in a traditional way. Look at the wildlie. Come and look at it yourself. I think once you've got some of that data, then you need to talk to people like Richard and I who are in the media, and get some of those people and take them out into rebeds and say, look, they're here, this is being managed, and isn't it great. There's a tick in the box because we're not having to import this bloody stuff halfway round the world.
Speaker 3: But also.
Speaker 1: Isn't it wonderful because we've got all this wildlife here and it's providing employment for these people who are doing that a great traditional British skill. And so I think, once you've got your PhD, and once you've got some of that data that you're after, which I know you're on the case with, come back to us and we will try and do the same thing what Tarquin's doing up on the moors, which I understand nothing about is all too hilly, you know. And you and I are from down south in the east, and our ears go pop if we stand on a mole hill, and what we ought to do is the same thing here in the East Anglian reed beds or the reed beds, and go and say look there, you go find fault with this if you can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I look at when I'm I grew up and came to Shoan now kind of living down in the southwest Edge, and I'll go down to say hengersprey Head, and I look at kind of the state of some of the reed beds down there, which is not looked after a bit of a mess really and I think, you know, you go down Like I was watching what pull and h and roalm we're doing. I was like, this could be that's really saying I drive past up and look at the opportunity, like this could be something really really good here where it kind of meets a UK kind of need for material, for homegrown material, whilst at the same time kind of providing, you know, allowing kind of wildlife to thrive. And that's kind of what I you know, yeah, appreciate you you understanding it can be both staid have cake eat it?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that is literally our challenge then, Richard, that we have done it. We have got that, We've got exactly what country Slide is all about. Is it's a working countryside that is providing employment for people and providing natural capital for wildlife.
Speaker 3: There we are, that's it done, mission statement, job done.
Speaker 4: Well what was that?
Speaker 2: What was that thing? That bush was standing on the aircraft carrier saying mission accomplished? Oh we need we aircraft carrier off the broads.
Speaker 3: Well you see.
Speaker 1: Well the problem is, of course, is that Andy and his former life was actually in the military. You were out in Iraq, weren't you.
Speaker 4: No, I dodged, I dodged Iraq, I did. I did two tours of Cossi by three in Afghanistan instead wide delights because you all the wetland up in the Chateau Arab and yeah, and you had all the drainage, which is done by Sadam the same post ninety one because in a similar manner to what Herold did and King Alfred could have hide him from the Normans and the Vikings kind of uh yeah, they went off into the inter marshals and kind of Adam was like, don't like this, can't access it, started draining it.
Speaker 1: Ah, there you go. So that's another reason not to like him, not just the fact that he was an absolute genocidal mania. Look at what he did to the bloody reed beds.
Speaker 2: The case against Adam is saying is just really mounting up, as you know what.
Speaker 1: Someone ought to do something about him any day now, Yes, exactly, don't worry. Probably tears on the case, I'm sure, yes, once he's first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is quite topical because you know, we traditionally we did get quite traditionally from the nineties, get a lot of read from Ukraine and then I'm not kind of an expert on kind of Ukrainian legislation and stuff like that. But when I've kind of looked at our government website and thought, I wonder if there's any kind of exclusions so similar to when we had conscription and then national service kind of post kind of World War two and whatnot, are there any kind of exemptions for kind of agricultural works and whatnot, And there's nothing as far as I'm aware. It's like, you know, if you are in the you know, the age bracket, you know you're you're serving. So then all of a sudden, the young people who could be recutters and now have it unfortunately having to deal with we're pooting. But apparently, according to a certain permanent maniac, they deserved it. And it's a bit to be invaded.
Speaker 2: Talking to a Polish mate about this, he was his cousin's Ukrainian and they were they were saying that there's going to be this loss of physical skill for so many things in agriculture in Ukraine, because when you look at the age group of people who've gone out to fight and who've died, the sort of what you've got now is the middle bit's been taken and you've got the old people who know how to do the things, but they aren't physically capable of doing that thing on the land anymore. Or people who are young who've got the land and they've inherited the machinery, they haven't got the lived experience of knowing what happens in this field and that harvest and so on.
Speaker 4: That's how my great grandad got into that. She was kind of post World War One. He joined up in nineteen fourteen, very fortunate survived, so passiondaw went over to Padoua in Italy, and he was in his twenties when he joined up, so he wasn't exactly a spring chicken like eighteen nineteen years old. When in nineteen eighteen and he'd kind of had enough of just being a farm labor and obvious where you've got so much loss of life. He managed to get himself a job as as a training statue, which I don't think normally somebody would have been willing to take on a guy and kind of at the mid to late twenties normally in that kind of role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a bizarre time.
Speaker 1: After that, I'll tell you a funny thing, right, because we ought to start thinking about wrapping this up. But this is about Ukrainian refugees. My son Charlie. He had a little friend called Gleb who came over.
Speaker 2: This type of duck, isn't it.
Speaker 3: That's a grebe.
Speaker 1: This is Gleb and him and his mum were refugees and they were up on the Belarusian border was where they came from. And they came to the UK and he was given a place free of charge by where my son was at prep school, and very very generous of him.
Speaker 3: And he was a lovely guy, Gleb.
Speaker 1: Do you think he suddenly come from this war zone and it's suddenly going to a school he got to play rugby and all he'd ever done was like played chess and done gymnastics, and.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden there's always people throwing himselves out.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was an amazing little fellow anyway, So he came to stay with us for a little bit, and I took him and Charlie off to U to bimble round Flea barm and go and have a look at.
Speaker 2: The wildlife there.
Speaker 1: And I sort of had this tour that I always do to Charlie's mates, and so first of allays sort of drive around. We go and check the traps, so we see if we can find some dead rats, which kids always seemed to like all dead rats.
Speaker 3: And then we go to the squirrel traps, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, Charlie was, wow, look at that, and he's picking sort of rats and squirrels out of traps and going in this brilliant and Gleb's face was utterly ashen. And then I went to go and check on the sheep because we'd put some sheep into the rotation, which we're actually knocking down some of the the floristic margins. And rather than start getting all there's some sheep, he was chasing around after and trying to cuddle these things, and the sheep were going can he buggle off please?
Speaker 3: And running around, and then you know, I explained to him.
Speaker 1: He had very good English, and I was explaining to himself, we're doing all this because we're trying to protect this really rare bird called the gray partridge, and you know, we're trying to get more numbers of them.
Speaker 3: And eventually we saw.
Speaker 1: A pair and I'm like, there they are, and he went they're rare, and I went, yes, I said, they've called the Gray Partry because I know Kip we're going with Kippen with everywhere her home. And I was going, oh god, because of course in the Ukraine, you know, they've got the great open spaces and there's great partries going over. So I thought, you know, I haven't really wowed this kid here.
Speaker 3: So what I them do is I went.
Speaker 1: Into the poulfrey in Hall, the butcher's in Debenham, and I said, right, what we'll do is I go and take him in there, and I'd go and a buy them one of these lovely sausage turnovers that Charlie absolutely loves. And then they take them into the back and they show them all the carcasses hanging up, and so I sort of what would you like to eat? Then, Gleb, and you're sort of going, I didn't want anything that was there. And then when Large Jamie, the other butcher in there, he went, so do you want to come and have a look at the carcasses? He went no, no, no, no, no, no like that, And so I rang Claire was we're coming back, and I said, do you know what I really think? Poor Gleb's being destroyed by war. I said nothing. He doesn't find any beauty in it, and I talked him through it. We saw this, We saw that the rats, the squirrels that no sausage turnover didn't want to come and say that you've forgotten, haven't you what?
Speaker 3: Because he's a vegetarian?
Speaker 1: Oh dear, okay, that might be the reason why then, So basically the poor kid has been dragged all over here. You know you've traumatized him, yes, traumatized him there by making him eat meat. Anyway, listen, Andy, thank you so much for coming on, because.
Speaker 4: It was how was that?
Speaker 2: Why are we going to end there?
Speaker 1: Because this look we we have been for once and I think it's because Callum's not here, because look, I could have asked you the question what is that Callum's questions, Andy is he wanted to say a first of all, did you think that invade that going out and rescuing the good people of the Falkland Islands was a major importance in your success? And secondly, actually, yes, do you regret now the poll tax? And I went no, not that sort of thatcher, Callum, I know it was it was before ever, You're not even from Grantham, No, exactly it's not.
Speaker 2: We's not that far from Grantham, but actually that's important.
Speaker 1: But no, do you know what I thought is that we have been very good because it's just been Richard and I. We've actually listened to you because what you've said is fascinating and I've learned a lot.
Speaker 3: But it's also given us food for thought.
Speaker 1: Because I think that it's actually it's been very good because what we're talking confirmation bias is exactly what I believe is what you are a smousing and you're studying and hopefully soon you will be doctor Reid because you're saying, look, we can have our cake and eat it, and what a wonderful thing.
Speaker 3: And thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry I didn't really ask Callum's questions properly, but they were just silly anyway, and we knew it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, I'll say I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised.
Speaker 1: We're all disappointed in him, you know, when it comes on.
Speaker 2: He was very tiring to go around the British Shooting Show with. I must be said. You know, you pulled back a string on a toy and it just keeps going That's what it was like. It was that, except he was then veering off towards the yetty stand and other things, and then he was going on about bill tong. You had this pocket full of billtong that it was just kept dipping into and it was gradually rehydrating as we went through the day with his bodily fluids. He kept offering it to people as well.
Speaker 1: You know, I made the pretense, you see, Andy, of not wanting to go to the shooting show, saying I've been there a lots of times. I don't want to look a load of guns. It's actually because I've spent a huge amount of time with Calum and I know that's all he'll be doing is rehydrating bloody South African drive eat it pocket and they're go getting excited about people who make bloody flasks. And so anyway, we'll be back next next week with the usual bollocks, without any any intelligent people to go and buffer the rest of our lunacy.
Speaker 3: But there we go. So sorry about that.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. It's been a real pleasure.
Speaker 3: No, it's great, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Right, have you got anything that you've got to say, with all the grown up stuff you know about how many people sort of want to listen to my voice for longer and pay us money.
Speaker 2: We've have our first patron. We have a patron, so they are supporting us now. And for the rest of you, why haven't you signed up? Because this is getting expensive and we've got to support Richard's port supply, which is at least seven hundred and fifty pounds a week exactly. But you know the fabulous appearance fees that our guests have. I think it was at least two grand for you, Andy to come on today. Just send us an invoice and Richard Niggas will sort it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so we've done. We've got a load of new listeners. Again, we're doing quite well on that. We didn't seem to annoy anyone too much at the shooting show, apart from the ones we did annoy. We've got guests next week as well, next month rather.
Speaker 3: Oh we have yes, yes, what's that?
Speaker 2: What's that one?
Speaker 1: That one is quite interesting. It's International Women's Day, so therefore were the natural choice exactly. So, I mean, obviously I'm not allowed near women, as you probably are aware, Andy, is that my voice does things to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a legal statue, no, exactly.
Speaker 4: I'm still struggling to get over that last episode. Honestly, I felt so dirty.
Speaker 3: After listens well the dummarks.
Speaker 4: Oh god, almighty, yeah, I know, I.
Speaker 3: Know exactly it was.
Speaker 1: It was disgusting, wasn't it to me? I want to actually now discover what bittens get up to in all those reads. But yeah, So what we're doing is that for International Women's they we're actually binning Callum and I and we have got three fascinating women coming on. But also we've got Richard as well, because we've got to have someone to ask questions.
Speaker 2: So is that because I'm the least threatening of the lot of us, the most feminent.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's because my wife prefers your voice to mine. So she's one of the women you see who's on. She prefers your voice to mine because she gets to hear it, you know, ad nausea and poor thing. And we've also got Amy, so we've actually we're going to give Amy a voice. You know, this is like sort of it's a bit like the you know, the Suffragettes. Finally they've got the vote and.
Speaker 2: She's allowed out once a year, and then she'll throw herself under the King's horse exactly.
Speaker 1: And then we've also got the show director of the Hadley Show coming up, who is a proper, genuine lady. So we've got sort of various rural angles coming up for International Women's Day, and Richard has drawn the long straw or long read in getting to go and try and keep some sort of order and ask questions.
Speaker 3: So, yes, that's our march sorted.
Speaker 2: Out interactions wise. Somewhere in the middle of this, there was an insert for an advert. We've done a couple of these. Now these are the proper ones, not that weird stuff that happened at the end of one episode allegedly that some people sent in that wasn't us for legal reasons. And some people have been sending in their little sort of self read adverts for their or business. So we want to keep those going on every week. So if you've got one, send it in. So we're going to do one a week. So if we get a load, you'll have to wait.
Speaker 1: To tell your brother Andy that he can do one is amazing matching, Yes, yes.
Speaker 4: I will make sure he is aware of that. Condescend to speak to him.
Speaker 2: If you want to know how to send it in, then there's an email address in the show notes, or you can messages on Instagram, or message me or Richard or Amy somewhere on our different social media accounts. But just literally send a voice note on your phone in whatever app it is. That's all you need to do is say who you are, where you are, what you do, how people can get hold of you, and that's it. It's like a phone in radio show.
Speaker 1: If you can squeeze dunnucks in and their sex lives, we'll I'll have to squeeze dunucks well exactly, you know cloackle removal. Then, so I'm I would much well I.
Speaker 4: Get I can tell you about the Barbary part trade, shirt, sex life, and Gibraltar randomly enough because I had to limit the work I was doing up there because of the breeder season.
Speaker 1: Randomly enough really the barbary partridge.
Speaker 4: Yes, apparently they only like to get it on in the afternoon, so we are to down tools. That's about half twelve. As heaven forbid, some construction work would.
Speaker 3: Put the poor barbary partridge off his stroke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I really like that there alone time in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: They're basically French. Then the things you.
Speaker 4: Learned when you're in the army, Yes, exactly, amazing habit for the barbary partridge twenty years probably persist.
Speaker 3: One of those things you do remember. Yeah, yeah, excellent.
Speaker 2: Right, Well are we all done then, Richard, I think we're done. I think we can wind this one at excellent up even up. Yes, it's been a long day, I've been talking.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, thanks again, Andy and everyone.
Speaker 4: Bye bye bye. The table b