Speaker 1: Hey there, and welcome to the deep dive. This is where we take complex topics and well really dive into them for you. We try to bring you the most crucial insights, maybe some surprising facts along the way. Today we're tackling something that can bring entire online services just grinding to a halt. You can disrupt critical infrastructure and it's even used in believe it or not, cyber warfare. We're talking distributed denial of service ATTACKSS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a phenomenon that's really evolved dramatically since the early Internet days. It's become this persistent threat and honestly a pretty financially impactful one too. For this deep dive, our insights are coming from a really comprehensive source, the textbook Distributed Denial of Service Attacks, Real World Detection and Mitigation by A. Luker Esselek and Richard Arbrooks.
Speaker 1: Right, So, our mission today is to truly unpack what DEAs attacks actually are. You know, why there's still such a big problem. We'll get into how these attacks are executed and maybe more importantly, what cutting edge strategies are out there to detect and mitigate them. Hopefully you'll walk away from this well informed, maybe ready to understand those headlines a bit better and perhaps with a new appreciation for just how complex our digital world is under the hood. Okay, so let's unpack this core idea first. When we talk about Adidas attack, it's way more than just a website crashing temporarily. It's about deliberately denying you, the legitimate user access access to an online service or a system. Think of it maybe like a digital sit in. Instead of blocking a physical door, attackers or just flooding the digital entrance to a server making it impossible for anyone else.
Speaker 2: To get in exactly. That's a great analogy. The core goal is what we call resource saturation. Attackers basically try to consume as much of a victim's critical resources as they possibly can. That could be system resources think CPU memory, disk space, or network resources like bandwidth, just overwhelming them. And what's really striking, I think, is how the motivations behind these attacks have changed over time. You know, initially it might have just been curiosity pranks even but today we're seeing highly organized criminal enterprises, geopolitical aims, even nation states getting involved.
Speaker 1: That evolution is pretty stark, isn't it. From like you said pranks to actual cyber warfare between nations. It really makes you wonder, with how much we rely on the internet. Now, why is this still such an ongoing issue. Why is it so impactful economically socially? What makes DDAs so hard to stop?
Speaker 2: Well, the sources point to three sort of fundamental reasons. First, they're relatively easy for attackers to actually pull off. The tools and resources are unfortunately quite available. Second, it's incredibly difficult to identify and trace the actual attackers. They have a lot of anonymity. And Third, despite all the cybersecurity advancements we've made, it's still profoundly challenging for organizations to fully protect themselves against a really determined, large scale DDoS attack.
Speaker 1: It's interesting too, thinking about the history. The whole idea of denial of service actually goes way back, even before computers. Groups like the leddie sabotaging automated looms right or civil rights movements using sit ins to physically block spaces to disrupt normal activities. Digital didas attacks feel almost like a translation of that into the network world.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it's a modern echo of those older tactics. The first widely documented digital denial of service attack was Back in nineteen ninety six, an ISP in New York called Panics got hit with something called a syn flood for several days.
Speaker 1: S yn flood, what's that exactly?
Speaker 2: Ah right? It exploits the way computers start a connection. It's called the TCP three way handshake. The attacker sends tons of initial connection requests but never finishes the process, so the server gets overwhelmed holding all these half open connections.
Speaker 1: Okay, so just clogging the pipes from the very start exactly.
Speaker 2: And in Panics's case, it was apparently retaliation because they installed one of the first spam filters on their email system.
Speaker 1: Wow. So even back then it was about digital disruption as a response. But then things got really interesting, didn't they. The event that sort of shifted public perception you're.
Speaker 2: Probably thinking of February two thousand. Yeah, that's when DIDOS really entered a new era. A fifteen year old from Montreal, Michael Calcea, alias Mafia Boy, launched attacks that took down huge names Yahoo, Amazon, Dell, eBay, CNN.
Speaker 1: Fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the estimated damage was just staggering. Figures ranged from like seven point five million dollars up to maybe one point seven billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Incredible. That must have been a massive wake up call.
Speaker 2: Oh, it absolutely was. The Mafia Boy attack wasn't just big. It showed how one person, not even particularly sophisticated technically, could cripple Internet giants. It permanently shifted cybersecurity from being this niche. It worry to well a national imperative. Funding spiked, awareness grew, and the reason we see so many large scale attacks today, that's largely down to the rise of botanets.
Speaker 1: Right. Botanets those sound ominous, What are they exactly?
Speaker 2: They're essentially privately run networks of compromised machines, hacked computers, servers, even IoT devices now all acting as bots, and the services of these botnets, the ability to launch attacks using them are often sold online for profit.
Speaker 1: So it's a whole criminal ecosystem built around these things, It really is.
Speaker 2: The life cycle usually starts with an initial infection, maybe your click a bad link, download something sketchy from a P to P network, or open a malicious email attachment. Then there's a secondary step where the compromise machine downloads the actual botnet software, turns into a functioning bot ready to take commands.
Speaker 1: In these networks, they can be set up differently, right the command and control, the C and C structure exactly.
Speaker 2: You have different topologies. Some are centralized, with one main server calling the shots, easy to manage but also a single point of failure. Others use multiple servers, maybe spread out geographically or across different legal jurisdictions to make them harder to take down. Then you've got decentralized ones using peer to peer protocols much harder to disrupt, and even hybrid models combining approaches.
Speaker 1: It's quite sophisticated, which leads right into this idea of d dos for hire, a service people can buy.
Speaker 2: Disturbingly, yes, there's a thriving market. Back in twenty seventeen, you could reportedly buy five minutes of a massive one hundred and twenty five gigabits per second attack for just five euros.
Speaker 1: Five euros. That's alarmingly accessible, it is.
Speaker 2: And the price for renting these botnets has actually been falling by about five percent each year since around twenty fourteen. It's just widespread availability competition among the bothereders, the people who run the botnets. A really notable example was the attack on spam House in March twenty thirteen. Spam House tracks spam servers, so they made enemies. That attack hit three hundred gbps, which was huge at the time, and it was amplified partly by exploiting vulnerabilities in DNS, the Internet's phone book, and even by infecting home routers.
Speaker 1: Wow. So beyond just making MONEYDIDOS has also become a political weapon, right This activism.
Speaker 2: Phenomenon absolutely Groups like the Electronic Disturbance Theater or EDT. They sort of pioneered the idea of virtual sit in with a tool called flubnet, basically encouraging online line protests via flooding.
Speaker 1: Websites, which raises a tricky question, doesn't it. Where's the line between legitimate digital protest, maybe civil disobedience, and just illegal destruction.
Speaker 2: That's a critical point and often a blurry line. Legally and ethically, you had groups like Anonymous using DDoS their project Schnology against Scientology, Operation Titstorm against the Australian Parliament over Internet filtering plans, and Operation Payback targeting credit card companies because they blocked donations to wiki leagues. From a purely legal standpoint, though participating in a DDoS attack is considered illegal pretty much everywhere in the US. You have the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Internationally, the Convention on Cybercrime covers.
Speaker 1: It, and then the stakes get even higher when actual nation states use these tactics. That really blurs the line between cybercrime and well war.
Speaker 2: Definitely. The conflict between Russia and Estonia back in April two thousand and seven is often cited as maybe the first real cyber war involving DDoS. Then in two thousand and eight, Russia launched large scale adido's floods against Georgian news and government sites right as a military invasion was happening. In Ukraine, there were ddo's attacks in two thousand and eight linked to anti NATO feelings, and in twenty fifteen, a major hacking incident, likely involving denial of service elements, knocked parts of the Ukrainian power grid offline power grids.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's way beyond.
Speaker 2: Websites exactly, and beyond direct attacks. We also see the Internet used for widespread censorship, sometimes through related techniques, things like BGP hijacking, which messes with the Internet's core routing. Remember Pakistan trying to block YouTube in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Vaguely yeah, what happened there?
Speaker 2: They accidentally re routed YouTube traffic globally, making it unavailable worldwide for about two hours, a mistake with massive consequences. Similarly, Iranian sensors trying to block pornography sites accidentally blocked access for users in India, Russia, Indonesia, Hong Kong. And then you have the really alarming Internet blackouts where entire countries or regions just go dark online, often done by authoritarian governments trying to control information flow during protests or unrest. Just in twenty fifteen alone, these kinds of Internet shutdowns were estimated to cost the global economy something like two point four billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Just dat it's cleared the Internet, which was designed for openness, for connection, can easily be twisted into this powerful tool for control and disruption. We've seen the impact silencing descent global outages. It's huge. But to really grasp how these attacks cause such chaos, we probably need to dive deeper into the technical side. How do they actually work?
Speaker 2: Let's do it so fundamentally, when attackers go for resource saturation, they're just trying to use up all the victims computing power or network capacity, simple brute force. Really, these are often easy to launch, but notoriously hard to stop once they get going. Examples include things like HTTP floods, just sending way too many web page requests to exhaust the server, or what are called layer seven protocol floods. These are a bit more targeted, going after specific weaknesses and applications running on the server.
Speaker 1: Layer seven that's the application layer, right, the server software.
Speaker 2: Itself exactly, So instead of just flooding the network pipes, they might exploit how the application handles connections, things like database connection pool exhaustion making the application run out of ways to talk to its database, or SSL exhaustion overwhelming the server's ability to handle secure encrypted connections. They're more subtle, but can be just as effective.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you mentioned earlier. These volume based attacks fall into two main types, symmetric and asymmetric.
Speaker 2: That's right. In a symmetric DDoS attack, the attacker, usually using a botnet, directly sends a massive flood of basically junk traffic street at the victim. You generally need a lot of compromise machines hundreds or thousands to generate enough volume to overwhelm the target's network connection.
Speaker 1: Okay, direct fire, what about asymmetric You said that was more insidious.
Speaker 2: It really is. Asymmetric didas attacks are also known as reflection and amplification attacks. This is where it gets clever and dangerous. Here. The attacker doesn't send traffic directly from their box to the victim. Instead, they abuse other innocent servers on the Internet, things like public DNS servers, NTP time servers, or memcash servers that aren't properly secured or configured.
Speaker 1: How do they abuse them?
Speaker 2: They send small requests to these third party servers, but they spoofed the return address, making it look like the request came from the victim. These servers then send back much larger responses to the victim. That's the reflection part. The amplification comes because the response is often many times larger than the initial spoofed request.
Speaker 1: Ah So a small effort from the attacker triggers a huge flood aimed at the victim, bounced off unsuspecting servers.
Speaker 2: Precisely, this means just a few attacker resources maybe a small botnet, can generate absolutely massive amounts of attack traffic. Like that attack in March twenty eighteen, they used misconfigured mem cased servers. The amplification factor there is huge. That attack reached a staggering one point seven terabits per second, one of the biggest single attacks ever recorded.
Speaker 1: One point seven terabits. Yeah, that's an unamis adgable amount of data.
Speaker 2: It really is. And attackers also exploit fundamental weaknesses in core Internet protocols. You mentioned TCP earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is yn flood thing, exploiting the handshake.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a classic TCP based attack. The attacker sends loads of initial syn packets, making the server open connections and weight, but the attacker uses fake source addresses and never sends the final acknowledgment to complete the handshake. So the server just sits there with all these half open connections, using up resources until eventually legitimate users can't connect anymore.
Speaker 1: So they're weaponizing the protocol itself exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's not just about flooding networks or protocols. Attackers can also use specially crafted packets or applications to hit specific software bugs. Remember back in twenty eleven, a security researcher released a simple Perl script kill apatch dot pl vaguely. Yeah, it's sent very specific types of HTTP requests that could basically crash certain versions of the Apache Web server by making them consume all the CPU and memory a targeted software vulnerable exploit.
Speaker 1: Okay, and beyond traffic and software bugs, there's also this idea of filtering based denial of service, right.
Speaker 2: That's a bit broader. It can even include things like legal action, maybe authorities demanding a server be taken down. That is denying service technically, but technically it also includes things like DNS tampering. If an attacker can hijack control of your DNS servers or poison the cash of other DNS servers.
Speaker 1: They can redirect your users anywhere or nowhere, denying access that.
Speaker 2: Way exactly, or they can misdirect traffic. There are also more refined filtering methods, like URL filtering that could be based on simple blacklists or whitelists, or it could be more analysis based using deep packet inspection, looking inside the data packets for specific keywords or content types to block.
Speaker 1: So lots of ways to deny service digitally, but you mentioned earlier, it can even extend into the physical realm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and This is where it gets particularly chilling. We've seen how attackers can overwhelm networks or manipulate data flows, but denial of service isn't just digital. It can involve physical destruction triggered remotely using digital tools. The most famous or infamous example is probably the stucks networm back in twenty ten, ah.
Speaker 1: Stucks net that targeted Eran's nuclear program. Right it did.
Speaker 2: It's spread through Windows networks, but specifically targeted Siemens industrial control software Step seven. It's estimated to have physically destroyed over nine hundred uranium enrichment centrifuges in Iranian facilities by subtlely manipulating their speeds, cause something like a thirty percent efficiency loss.
Speaker 1: Physically destroying hardware through software.
Speaker 2: It shows how these threats evolved, blurring the lines between cyber and physical. Attackers are constantly finding new angles, new weaknesses.
Speaker 1: And to launch all these different types of attacks, they've got a whole toolkit.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, absolutely, a whole arsenal. Historically, back in ninety nine, you had tools like TRINDS zero and Tribe Flood Network or TFN. They exploited common vulnerabilities like buffer overflows to launch various flood attacks. More recently, you've seen tools like GoldenEye from around twenty twelve. That one focused on HTTP and HTTPS doss testing. It cleverly exploited things like HTB keep Alive and no cash settings to make servers exhaust their resources keeping connections open. Then there's hoechule K, also from twenty twelve. That's an application layered doss tool designed to be sneaky. It generates unique requests each time and can randomize source IP addresses to try and bypass detection systems. And of course, for simpler attacks often used in those activist campaigns, there's the well known low orbit Ion canon or LOIC. Pretty basic but can be effective in numbers.
Speaker 1: So arrange from simple flutters to quite sophisticated.
Speaker 2: Tools definitely, and tools like H and three are like Swiss army knives for network packets. They let users craft custom TCPIP packets to launch all sorts of layer three or layer four floods hitting the network in transport layers. And for those reflection amplification attacks we talked about, there are specific tools too, like the Saddam d DOS tool. It can be configured to use d or NTP servers for that amplification effect. You can actually see it working. If you capture the network traffic on the victims in you'll see all the DNS or NTP replies flooding in.
Speaker 1: It's kind of amazing and scary how many tools are out there.
Speaker 2: It is, and it raises that crucial question of again, what's the shared vulnerability? Why are so many different protocols DNS ANDTP, memecash, even TCP itself seemingly so easy to exploit for these attacks. Why haven't we fixed these fundamental issues.
Speaker 1: That's a great question, and it really speaks to the scale of this challenge. Okay, so we know the attacks are very sophisticated and the tools are available. How on earth do we defend against all this? It must start with just knowing you're under attack, right detection exactly.
Speaker 2: Detection is the first critical step, and generally detection methods fall into three main categories. First is signature detection. This works kind of like your antivirus software. It looks for known patterns or signatures of DDoS attack traffic. Good for known threats, but useless against new ones.
Speaker 1: Right it needs to have seen the attack precisely.
Speaker 2: Second is anomaly detection. This approach doesn't look for specific signatures. Instead, it establishes a baseline of what your normal network traffic looks like and then watches for significant deviations from that baseline. It looks at statistics like sudden spikes in packet arrival rates, or changes in the distribution of source IP addresses, or even the randomness of certain data fields in the packet headers. And the third type hybrid systems. As the name suggests, these try to combine the strength of both signature and anomaly detection. Use signatures for known attacks, anomaly detection to catch the unknown ones.
Speaker 1: Anomaly detection sounds really powerful, especially for those zero day attacks, the brand new ones. You mentioned entropy earlier. Can you break that down a bit more? How does measuring randomness help spot and attack?
Speaker 2: Sure? So, anomaly detection is crucial for zero days, even though it can sometimes generate more false positives. Flagging normal traffic is bad. One common statistical method used is cumulative sum or CUS. It's good at detecting small but persistent increases in traffic volume that might get lost in the usual noisy bursts of Internet traffic. Then there's entropy. This comes from information theory, and basically it's a measure of disorder or unpredictability in data. Think about source IP addresses in normal traffic. They tend to come from all over the place, fairly randomly distributed, high entropy. But during many types of DEDOS attacks, especially from botanets, you might suddenly see a huge flood of traffic coming from a relatively small predictable set of source ips.
Speaker 1: The randomness drops, ah, so the entropy the source iepiece goes.
Speaker 2: Way down exactly. That sudden drop in entropy is a strong signal that something unnatural, something non random, is happening, like an attack. The tricky part with detection, though, is where you do it. It's most accurate closer to the target where you see the traffic consolidation, but by then.
Speaker 1: It might be too late to actually stop it effectively.
Speaker 2: Right the flood might already be overwhelming your connection or your servers.
Speaker 1: Which leads us straight into mitigation. Once you detect that attack, what can you actually do and how do you balance needing strong defenses with the cost and complexity of it all.
Speaker 2: That's the million dollar question. Mitigation strategies get classified in lots of ways. You can think about when they happen. Are they preventative, do they react during an attack or is it clean up after? Or how they're deployed centralized defense or distributed, or where they're located protecting at the source of the traffic near the destination, somewhere in the network core or a hybrid, and increasingly where the reaction happens. Is it equipment on your own premises where services running in the cloud. A lot of modern mitigation heavily leverages the cloud. Content delivery networks CDNs are a big one.
Speaker 1: CDNs yeah, like Akamaine cloud Flare are those guys. They're used for speeding up websites.
Speaker 2: Mostly right primarily, Yes, their main job is to cache website content on servers all around the world closer to users to improve load times and performance. But that distributed architecture inherently makes them pretty good at absorbing DEDOS attacks too. Running the incoming traffic across this huge network of servers, they can dissipate the effect of an attack. It makes it much harder for an attacker to overwhelm any single point.
Speaker 1: So their structure provides a kind of built in resilience. Even if that wasn't the primary goal exactly.
Speaker 2: They offer significant d'dos protection as a side benefit, and now many CDNs offer specific DIDOS mitigation services too.
Speaker 1: But I seem to remember hearing about cases where even big CDNs struggled or maybe even dropped clients during massive attacks because it was just too much or too expensive.
Speaker 2: That's a valid point and a real challenge. CDN's specially robust DEDOS protection from them can be expensive, and relying solely on one CDN provider does create a potential single point of failure, or at least a single point of financial pain. You mentioned Krebs on security Brian Krebb's security news site back in twenty sixteen. It got hit by a massive DIDAS attack, largely from the Maria botnet. Akamai. His CDM provider at the time was mitigating it, but the sheer scale and costs led them to eventually drop his site from their free to protection. It highlighted the economic limits, right, So.
Speaker 1: Relying on one provider, even a big one, isn't foolproof.
Speaker 2: It forces organizations to think about more complex strategies, maybe using multiple CDMs or combining cloud protection with some defenses on their own premises. It adds layers, but also complexity and.
Speaker 1: Cost, and this challenge, I guess, spurred development of other approaches like dynamic dios mitigation or DDM.
Speaker 2: What's the idea there exactly? DDM tries to address those single provider limitations and cost issues. The core idea is to leverage resources from multiple different cloud service providers dynamically, so when an attack hits, the system can automatically scale up defenses, distributing the attack traffic across a much wider surface area, maybe using capacity from AWS, Azure, Google Cloud and specialized scrubbing centers, simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Spreading the load even further right.
Speaker 2: To dissipate the effect more effectively, and crucially, when the attack subsides, it can scale those resources back down on amadically to reduce the operational costs. It aims for more flexibility and resilience.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Another defense concept that sounds really interesting, almost futuristic is moving target defense or MTD. What's that about?
Speaker 2: MTD is a fascinating area. The basic philosophy is if the target is constantly changing, it's much harder for an attacker to hit it successfully. Instead of building static fortress like defenses, you make the system itself dynamic and unpredictable.
Speaker 1: How do you do that? Like constantly changing IP addresses.
Speaker 2: That's one example. Yeah, Dynamically mutating IP addresses makes it harder for attackers to even find the target, let alone sustain an attack against it. Other MTD techniques might involve frequently changing network paths, randomizing system configurations, or even presenting attackers with deceptive fake views of the network topology to confuse their reconnaissance efforts.
Speaker 1: It's about creating uncertainty for the attacker, Yeah, making their planning and execution much more difficult.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it aims to increase the attack workload and reduce their window of opportunity. While it adds complexity to your own system management, it can be very effective, especially against automated attack tools that rely on static information.
Speaker 1: Okay, shifting gears a bit. Software defined networking SDN. This is a pretty major change in how networks are built and managed. How does SDN impact DDoS defense? Is it good news or bad news?
Speaker 2: Well, it's both. SDN definitely presents huge opportunities, but also new challenges. The big change with SDN is that it separates the network's control logic the brain from the actual hardware that forwards traffic the muscle you get the centralized software controller that manages the entire network.
Speaker 1: Centralized control sounds powerful.
Speaker 2: It is, and it's programmable. This gives you incredible flexibility to create adaptive security solutions. You could, for instance, use the SDN controller to implement MTD techniques like that dynamic IP mutation we just talked about, or you could program it to quickly reroute traffic around attack points, or even generate fake networks to deceive attackers trying to map your infrastructure. The potential for dynamic defense is.
Speaker 1: Huge, but that centralization sounds like it could also be a weakness, right, A single target for attackers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's the flip side. The SDN controller itself becomes a very attractive, high value target. A successful DIDOS attack against the controller could potentially paralyze the entire network. It's a single point of failure and the programmability.
Speaker 1: Could that be misused?
Speaker 2: Yes, If an attacker could somehow compromise the controller or exploit its programming interfaces, they could potentially reconfigure the network maliciously, causing widespread disruption. A different kind of denial of service Also, SDN often goes hand in hand with network function virtualization, running things like firewalls and routers as software on scattered servers. This softization means you might have multiple critical network functions running on the same physical box that creates high value targets and potentially a broader attack surface if one component gets compromised.
Speaker 1: So powerful potential, but also new risks to manage.
Speaker 2: Exactly it requires careful design and robust security for the SDN components themselves.
Speaker 1: And we've touched on this, but it bears repeating. This isn't just about websites or corporate networks anymore. DDAs is increasingly threat to cyberphysical systems cps.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Cps are systems that integrate computing and networking with physical processes. Think smart manufacturing, smart buildings, intelligent transportation systems.
Speaker 1: And the big one, the smart grid.
Speaker 2: The smart grid is a prime example. It relies heavily on real time data flowing over networks from sensors out in the field, things like phaser measurement units or pmus, which monitor the health of the power grid.
Speaker 1: So if you disrupt that data flow.
Speaker 2: You can cause serious problems. Studies have shown that even if the communication is encrypted, say, using VPN tunnels, attackers might still be able to disrupt things using side channel attacks.
Speaker 1: Side channel what does that mean here?
Speaker 2: It means looking at characteristics other than the encrypted data itself, like analyzing the size of the packets being sent or the timing between packets. Even without decrypting the data, attackers might be able to identify which data streams belong to specific critical pmus just based on these patterns.
Speaker 1: And then what block just those specific packets.
Speaker 2: Potentially, yes, they could selectively drop or delay just the data from crucial pmus. This could make the control center think the PMU is still online and connected, but it's not receiving the vital real time measurements about grid stability. If that happens, the system operators might not see an impending problem, potentially leading to instability or even blackouts.
Speaker 1: That is genuinely unsettling. It really drives home that the lines are blurring. It's not just about data loss anymore. It's about potentially catastrophic physical consequences.
Speaker 2: Right and think about those BGP hijacking or DNS poisoning attacks we mentioned earlier. If attackers can redirect Internet traffic, they could potentially intercept or block communication for financial services, government agencies, even theoretically systems involved in manage critical national security assets. The potential impact is enormous.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, we have covered a ton of ground in this deep dive. It's really quite a journey. We went from the earliest sort of conceptual denial of service, the Luddites and sit ins, all the way to these massive global DEDOS attacks we see today impacting everything. We've looked at the motivations from just messing around to organized crime, political anctivism, and even full blown state sponsored cyber warfare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we unpacked the tech behind it too, the simple symmetric floods, the much sneakier reflection and amplification attacks, exploiting protocol weaknesses, software bugs, even extending into the physical realm with things like stucksnet.
Speaker 1: And then the defense side, the detection methods using signatures, looking for anomalies with stats like entropy, and the mitigation strategies leveraging CDNs, the cloud elasticity with DDM trying to be unpredictable, with moving target defense and navigating the complexities of SDN.
Speaker 2: It truly is an ongoing arms race. Attacker constantly innovate, finding new vulnerabilities, new ways to cause disruption, and defenders are racing to keep up, developing new techniques to protect our digital lives and increasingly, our critical physical infrastructure. The stakes just keep getting higher.
Speaker 1: They really do it touches almost everything now. Okay, before we wrap up, let's leave our listeners with a final provocative thought to chew on. Considering everything we've discussed and how reliant we're becoming on interconnected smart systems, smart homes, smart cities, smart grids, how might the very nature of denial of service attacks change in the coming years as everything gets connected? What new kinds of vulnerabilities might emerge when your fridge, your car, the traffic lights, the power grid are all talking to each other. And how will our defenses need to evolve to protect these incredibly complex, interconnective next generation targets