Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Pathway Chili.
Speaker 2: I'm Robin, I'm Jules, and I'm Ashley. Let's dive right into this week's case.
Speaker 3: July twenty sixth, nineteen ninety three, Loanhari, Wales, sixty five year old Harry Tews and his sixty seven year old wife, Meganchoos are both shot to death at their remote farm before their bodies are hidden inside a cowshed. The investigation eventually focuses on Jonathan Jones, the boyfriend of Twos's daughter, and after his thumb print is found on a saucer inside the residence, he's charged with the murders. Even though Jonathan is found guilty of the crime and sentenced to life imprisonment, his conviction is overturned one year later, so there are no conclusive answers about who actually killed Harry and Meghan.
Speaker 1: After that, the path went Chili. So today, for the first time, the Pathway Chili is going to be exploring an unsolved cold case which took place in Wales, the nineteen ninety three murders of Harry and Meghan twos. And before he make the obvious jokes, yes, we will be discussing a couple from the United Kingdom named Harry and Meghan, but they're considerably older than that other Harry and Meghan, who are always in the news because of their affiliation with the royal family. Harry and Meghan Toos were an elderly married couple who lived on a remote farm Indians seem to have any known enemies until they were both shot to death on their property execution style.
Speaker 2: Ues.
Speaker 1: Has had a daughter named Cheryl, and investigators began to suspect that her boyfriend, Jonathan Jones, committed the crime so he could collect on a one hundred and fifty thousand pounds estate Cheryl inherited from her parents. While Jonathan was eventually charged and convicted of the murders, the evidence against him was so weak that his conviction was overturned just one year after his trial. But of course this begs the question if Jonathan did not kill the Twoses, then who did and what could their motive have possibly been well I originally covered this case on The Trail Went Cold in August of twenty twenty one, but only a few weeks before we recorded this episode. There would be a major development, as it appears that law enforcement has now set their sights on an all new suspect. But since they have released very few details to the public, we still don't know who this suspect is or what evidence investigators might have against them. So I thought it would be a good opportunity for us to revisit this story and discuss it on the Pathway Chile.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, you got my blood boiling, because when we talk about a potential wrongful conviction, you guys know that I'm game for a very heated discussion. So when we look at this case and you think that the first person who's a suspect and then later is actually charged and convicted of the murders, is the boyfriend? Correct me if I'm wrong, But wouldn't her boyfriend's prints belong in her parents' home. I'm assuming at some point he had actually gone to the home with her.
Speaker 1: Yes, that would be his biggest argument that just because my thumb print is on a saucer does not really mean all that much, because he had visited the home on a couple previous occasions, and of course he even thought that he might have accidentally touched the saucer after he arrived at the murder scenes. So if that is pretty much the strongest evidence that the use against him. If that pretty much indicates like how weak the case was against him overall.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. I would have thought we were in Florida, not Wales if we're discussing that week of evidence convicting you of a murder. But when we look at this, I mean, that's so true when anytime you have an investigation, the only time a fingerprint or some kind of forensic evidence like hair would be a usable piece of evidence to point towards you being the murderer is if you're one of those suspects who, in an interrogation is asked, have you ever been inside the home of Harry and Megan, and you say never, I have never. I don't know them, I've never associated with them.
Speaker 1: And then I can.
Speaker 2: Show you a listing of hairs and fingerprints and those types of pieces of evidence. At that point, now I have a motive to focus on you and say you are a primary suspect. But for someone who belongs in that dwelling, it doesn't hold any water to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know we've loved to talk about wrongful convictions, but this will be an interesting one just because it took place in Wales, and there are some differences with the legal system in Wales than they are in the United States, so it's interesting to see how this wrongful conviction played out compared to some of the other ones we've talked about on previous episodes.
Speaker 3: Our story begins in nineteen ninety three in Lanhri, a small village with a population of around three thousand, located in the county borough of Rohnda Kinantaff in South Wales. Our central figures are sixty five year old Henry James Twos, who goes by the name Harry, and his sixty seven year old wife, Megan Twos. The couple lives on an isolated six acre sixteenth century farm just a mile outside of loan Hari. The farm is named Tiarwan, which is Welsh for house in the meadow, and the Twoses have lived on the property for over thirty years. After having worked as a farmer and fruit wholesaler, Harry is now retired and he and Meghan have one child, a thirty three year old daughter named Cheryl, who works as a market researcher and lives nearly two hundred miles away in Orpington, a town low located in the County of Kent in southeastern Greater London. Cheryl shares a flat with her thirty three year old boyfriend, Jonathan Jones, and the couple have been together for over a decade after originally meeting while they were graduate students at the Polytechnic of Wales. On the morning of Monday, July twenty sixth Harry and Meghan drove to the post office in Loanhari to collect their pensions before they stopped at the supermarket to do some shopping, and a neighbor would see them returning home at around eleven am. At one thirty pm, another neighbor heard the sound of two gunshots from the Teseses farm, which occurred within thirty seconds of each other, but they did not find this unusual because Harry liked to grow cabbage and was known for shooting rabbits who showed up in his patch. But over the course of the next several hours, Cheryl and another relative both made multiple attempts to call the Tuess residents, but were unable to reach Harry or Meghan on the phone. Cheryl called her parents virtually every day and became concerned when she received no answer during the time period when she knew they would usually be at home watching their favorite soap opera, Coronation Street. Cheryl finally decided to phone a neighbor named Owen Hopkins and asked him to check on her parents. When Hopkins arrived at the farmhouse, he discovered that the front door was unlocked, but the chooses were not inside. The groceries they purchased on their shopping trip had been unpacked in the kitchen, and there was a pan on the cooker containing chopped potatoes, which suggested that they were in the midst of preparing a meal before something happened to them. Hopkins decided to call the South Wales Police to report the couple missing, and they soon arrived at the farm and launched a Sir Shepherd.
Speaker 2: This is so sad to think about. You have this idyllic setting and you have this elderly couple who is at their home doing everyday things. They've gone to the grocery store, They've put up their groceries, they're in the middle of making a meal. To me, it seems like this is just an everyday type of moment for them, and then somehow they are ambushed and murdered. Do we know if there's any kind of forced entry, or could it have been someone who was expected because they're they're living in a very average, normal day as if you know, they're very comfortable in what they're doing. Do we know if if any kind of confrontation happened, or do you think we knew they knew who the person was they came into their residence.
Speaker 1: It's always been speculated that they probably invited their killer inside because there were no signs of forced entry, and as we're going to talk about momentarily the saucer containing the thumbprint which implicated Jonathan Jones, it was part of a tea set that they ordinarily did not bring out unless they had guests in the house. So it seems very likely to me that they knew their killer and was someone that they were on good terms with and probably did not find to be a threat. But of course that opened up a whole bunch of questions because as far as anyone can tell, they did not have any known enemies. So that's why, to this day, no one can really figure out what the motive might have been to kill them. So the search for the Tooses lasted several hours, but during the early morning hours of July to twenty seventh, Harry's body was discovered inside a cowshd on the property, and shortly thereafter Megan's body was found in there as well. Both victims had been shot in the back of the head execution style with a twelve bore shotgun, and their bodies were each covered with a carpet and concealed underneath some hay bales. The evidence seemed to suggest that Harry had been shot at close range just inside the cowshed's front door, while Megan was shot outside from three feet away before her body was dragged in there. There were no signs of forced entry at the farmhouse and nothing appeared to have been stolen, leading investigators completely baffled by the motive. A fancy china teacup and saucer were resting on the dining room table, next to a milk jug teapot and a sugar bowl and a magazine. According to everyone who knew them, the Tooses only brought out this particular teacup whenever they had visitors, so this seemed to end that the couple invited their killer inside the house and attempted to serve them tea before they were ambushed and shot to death. Unidentified pomp prints were found on the farmyard gate and farmhouse door, but they did not belong to Harry, Megan, or any other members of their family and could not be matched to anyone. Unfortunately, the crime scene was not properly sealed until several hours after the police's arrival, and evidence was not preserved, as he initially operated under the assumption that the crime was a murder suicide until they realized that no gun could be found. Before the bodies were discovered, some police officers had noticed a small pool of blood by the farmyard gate, but it was trampled over so often that it became contaminated and deemed to be useless as evidence. Interestingly enough, about ten months before the murders, Harry had reported a burglary at the farmhouse and claimed that his shotgun was stolen. It was never recovered, and Harry later wound up purchasing a new shotgun, but it was unclear if this theft had any connection to the crime.
Speaker 2: Two things this is really frustrating when you look at the way that the crime scene was treated and there was an assumption that it was a murder suicide. Imagine being an officer and the detectives who are sitting there saying, Okay, we're going to tell this family right that dad killed mom or mom killed dad, and it is what it is. We're just gonna go ahead and not preserve this scene, not try to make sure we know the whole story to tell the family. Like one of the most devastating things you can think of the two people you love most, one is killed and one took their own life right after killing the person that you love. So what a tragic finale, And like, you know, a conclusion you would make as a detective to not say, even if that's the case, let's preserve this crime scene and make sure that we protect all evidence so that we can have a clear, accurate story of what happened, right that we can get to the truth of what happened. That's not how they approach this scene. They made an assumption, and it's own as if they kind of disregarded a need to protect the scene at that point, very very frustrating, even if it had ended up being a murder suicide. Then look at the details in this case, because they are inviting somebody, let's say to tea or over for dinner or coming by to have a chat or something. They get their nice china out, they've made the tea, everything sitting out, including the milk, but they're killed out by the cowshed. So what is it that took them from the home to the cowshed? Was there something they were going to show this person? Was it a I forced you out of the home because one day I'm going to inherit this home. Remember that's their assumption, so I don't want the murder to have it inside the house. Was it that they wanted them to be hidden and their bodies not be in plain view where people would normally look. What created the scene where that couple invited someone over and somehow they ended out in that cowshed.
Speaker 3: This is so wild to me, the fact that they operated under that assumption without doing the base sick cursory search around the bodies to determine whether or not there was a firearm. There would have had to have been a gun there, because you don't shoot yourself and then the gun magically runs away. They could have figured that out. And it also seems odd if it was a murder suicide that you would be in the midst of doing your dinner, there's a tea set out, so you're in the home. If it was an impulsive act that one of them decided to end the other one's life, why would they go out to the cowshd It just none of it adds up to murder suicide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like we always have said many times that a good police officer should always treat every death scene as a potential homicide at first unless the evidence points otherwise. And they did not do that here, even though basically checking the scene to see if there's a gun around should have been the most basic thing they did. And it'd be one thing if this was a couple that was known for having a history of domestic violence and arguments. But they had been married for so many years. As far as anyone can tell, there renaul issues in their marriage, So why would they assume this was some murder suicide? And unfortunately, this lack of preserving the crime scene is one of the reasons why it's taken so long to solve this thing.
Speaker 3: And what do you guys think are the chances that somebody was supposed to stop by or do you think that it's more likely I personally think it's more likely that somebody just stopped by in an impromptu manner, because if you plan to stop by and you know that they have a daughter, there's and that they talk to her every day. If you're somebody that's known to them, then there's a very high probability that they would tell their daughter that so and so is coming by for tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I totally agree that this was probably an unexpected guest and they just kind of showed up out of nowhere. But Harry and Meghan, being as polite as they were, still invited this person inside and offered to serve them tea, probably because it was someone that they didn't feel threatened by. So yeah, I do agree that if they had arranged this ahead of time, I think that Harry or Megan would have told their daughter in one of their phone conversations.
Speaker 3: So after her parents were reported missing, Cheryl wanted to make the nearly two hundred mile drive to their farmhouse in order to check what was going on. However, because she had to work the following morning, she asked her boyfriend Jonathan Jones to drive there instead. Jonathan left at approximately ten pm on the evening of the twenty sixth and arrived at around three am on the morning of the twenty seventh, by which point he was informed by police that a male body had been found in the cowshed. Investigators believed that Jonathan aroused suspicion by barely reacting to the news, as he did not even ask if the body belonged to Harry, though Jonathan would later attribute this to being exhausted following the long drive. They also found it odd that it took Jonathan five hours to make a drive, which ordinarily would have taken three and a half hours, but he had made two separate stops at service stations in order to fuel up his car and phone Cheryl, and since the weather was rainy, Jonathan said he was forced to drive slower than usual in order to navigate the dark rural roads. Regardless, the South Wales police started to focus on Jonathan as a potential suspect.
Speaker 2: You know, three and a half hours to five hours in rain and stopping is not that significant. Cheryl's nervous, but I guarantee you Cheryl did not think her parents were dead. She probably was like, oh no, I wonder if like mom got sick and dad took her to the hospital, or you know what, if something happened to him and they just didn't have time to reach out to me, can you can you go check on them? It is nineteen ninety three, right, so like everybody doesn't have cell phones in the world and everyone's not that accessible.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, that's correct. Like, isn't to unbelievable that Jonathan would stop at a service station in order to use a payphone to call Cheryl?
Speaker 2: Right, And or my gosh, when I make a five hour, three and a half hour trip whatever, I'm stopping because I need some combos, then I need a diet coke, then I need to go to the bathroom. Right, So we're definitely stopping. And so if you're stopping it's raining and you are having to get out and use a payphone to check in with Cheryl, then I don't really see that much suspicion on a three and a half hour drive going to five hours. Now, if you're saying there was like a nine hour gap, if Cheryl said I got news that my parents are dead, we got to see if that's true, and there was no urgency, Okay, but that fact alone makes zero sense to me why that would heighten him as a main suspect, and then Jonathan's original reaction. I guarantee you part of that was shock as well. His girlfriend sends him to her parents' house because something's wrong. Again, you're the one who's going surely nothing significance wrong. They just aren't answering the phone, and you find out there's a body, so in your head, you're starting to process that has to be your parents. How am I going to tell her? There would definitely be a pause, quiet kind of maybe you don't at the immediate reaction. It's not his parents, it's his girlfriend's parents. And I guarantee you part of him was tired, but more so he was in shock trying to process. How am I going to communicate this to Cheryl.
Speaker 3: I think it's weird that they highlighted that he didn't react just because people react differently. It was the nineties, right, so people aren't going to be aware that different people are going to react in different ways when something traumatic happens, that there's a wide range of reactions and there is no like quote unquote typical reaction. And the fact that he drove a really long time and it's exhausting driving at night and especially when you factor in the rain and he's having to make multiple stops to check in. He's worried about her parents. Cheryl's worried, so he's having to support her. I think there's a lot of things going on, and quite frankly, if I were to be told something like that, I might make the assumption that if Harry and Megan are missing and you found a body, that it's going to be Harry's body if you're saying that it's male.
Speaker 1: And also there's the wording, like they didn't specifically said that someone has been murdered. They just said we found a body. So maybe Jonathan's thinking to himself, well, he's an old man. Maybe he walked into the cowshd and died of a heart attack or something like that. He's not instantly going to think that, oh, someone blasted him with a shotgun in there. And I think that if they had told him that right away, he might have given off a more shocked reaction. But no, I don't find that to be like compelling evidence that he was hiding information.
Speaker 3: Maybe they found it odd that he didn't then ask about if they found Meghan or if they'd been able to locate Meghan that he was just told that a male body had been found, but he didn't inquire further.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, that might have been why. But like he said, though, he was exhausted from his three and a half hour drive, so maybe he just wasn't thinking clearly well. Months after the murders took place, it was discovered that Jonathan's thumb print was on the s beneath the teacup found on the twos' dining room table. Investigators started formulating a theory that on the day of the crime, Jonathan made the trip from Orpington to lo on Hari to visit the farm and was invited inside the house by Harry and Meghan. They may have been expecting Jonathan to ask for permission to marry their daughter, so to celebrate the occasion, the twses brought out their special china to serve Jonathan some tea, but shortly after he touched the saucer, Jonathan shot them both to death and concealed their bodies inside the cow shed. At the time, Cheryl was hoping to open her own market research firm, but she and Jonathan were often in arrears with the rent and he had less than one hundred pounds in his bank account, but since Cheryl stood to be the beneficiary of her parents one hundred and fifty thousand pounds, estate investigators suspected that Jonathan killed them so that she could inherit the money. Even though there was no other physical evidence linking Jonathan to the crime and the murder weapon cannot be found, The South Wales Police arrested Jonathan and charged with the murders in December of nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 2: On what grounds? On what grounds? When you look at this, you have Okay, there's this tea tea set and you told me that there is a fingerprint on the tea set. But again, Jonathan's been there before. It is a special occasion when your boyfriend comes over, and if this is someone they're expecting to be their future son in law, I would see mom making him tea from time to time, and yes she would have cleaned the tea cups. But what if that saucer wasn't cleaned. Because saucers are fancy. You don't get anything on your saucer usually unless you set a spoon on them. A lot of times, if you put something underneath a cup or a bowl, you don't have to go wash it because nothing got on it. It's for aesthetics looks, it's for the fancy of it. And so who's to say that Jonathan hadn't been there three months earlier and had tea on that saucer and the tea cup had been washed, but the saucer didn't just go back in the china cabinet.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking as well, because apparently they only brought this out on special occasions, so the saucer is not going to kneed frequent washes. So yes, it is plausible that a fingerprint still could be on there, even if Jonathan touched it weeks or months earlier.
Speaker 3: And even if, like Ash said, somebody did put a spoon on it, maybe they were stirring some cream into their tea or milk into their tea. You would probably just rinse that off because it's not like a cup where someone's mouth has met that cup. So you want to clean it properly so that you get off all the bacteria and nothing adheres to that cup and gets you sick later. But with a saucer, you're not licking the saucer and you're not going to be put in your mouth anywhere near it, so it doesn't need to be like really scrubbed. And even if you did scrub it, are you really going to scrub the underside well. By the time Jonathan's arrest took place, Cheryl had become pregnant with his child. She immediately disputed the idea that Jonathan killed Harry and Megan for the inheritance, where she had around seven thousand pounds in her savings account at the time, and they still could have borrowed money from her parents or Jonathan's parents if she needed to. In spite of this, Jonathan's trial would begin in Newport Crown Court in April of nineteen ninety five and last for twelve weeks. The only physical evidence which placed Jonathan at the murder scene was a thumb print on the saucer, but since Jonathan was a frequent visitor to the farmhouse, the defense argued that he could have left the thumb print there on a previous occasion prior to the crime. After Jonathan arrived at the farm and was informed that Harry's body had been found, the police allowed him to sit in the dining room alone for an extended period of time, while the teacup and saucer were still on the table. It was possible that Jonathan could have touched the saucer during this time period and left his thumb print, but he said that he was unable to recall touching anything with one hundred percent certainty. The prosecution believed that Jonathan was responsible for the burglary in which Harry's shotgun was totole, and he proceeded to hold on to it for nearly a year before he used the shotgun as the murder weapon and disposed of it. However, the calculated nature of the murders suggested that whoever shot the twoses was an experienced gunman who was very skilled with handling firearms. According to Jonathan's family, the only time he'd ever handled a gun in his life was when he attended a naval base during his teen years.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's tons of problems with this. Think about this as a young couple. Okay, you are newly pregnant. Surely her hubby or her boyfriend knows that, right, So Cheryl's newly pregnant. Your parents are incredibly loving, you're very close to them, and you step back and you think, let's see we're about to have a new baby, which is no joke, and we're really close to my parents. The best thing we could do right now is kill them for about what is equivalent to two hundred thousand dollars. Okay, let's go ahead and murder them, take away resources that they could provide for us, support they could give to our future child and to us as new parents. Let's not get their blessing for our marriage, right. Let's completely annihilate these people who are incredibly important to us and get rid of them at the most critical difficult time of our life, which is when we're about to welcome a new child into the world, so that I can start my own business. It just doesn't make sense. It benefits them more to have the mom and dad alive so that they can have continual access to resources when they need it. I guarantee you she could have talked to her parents and said, like, is there any way you could help us a little bit me start this business. I'll pay you back. You can be an investor in my new business. Surely you want to help me with your grand baby, right So, I just don't see where in either of their minds it would benefit that young couple to say, let's take out the two most stable people in our relationship when we're expecting a new baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, recurring team we will find in a lot of cases in which people murder their parents is that often the children are very irresponsible, like they have financial problems or drug problems, and they're constantly trying to get money from their parents, and things reach the point where it feels like the parents are going to cut them off completely. So that's when things escalated into murder. But by all accounts, it sounds like Harry and Megan had a wonderful relationship with Cheryl a wonderful relationship with Jonathan, and Jonathan practically considered them to be his second family, so there was nothing in their profile to suggest that they would want to commit a murder just for some money. So the prosecution alleged that Jonathan either drove to the Tusay's farm to commit the murders or traveled to the area by train and got off at nearby Ponty Clin Railway station, but no paper trail could be found to confirm this, and even though Jonathan was a very distinct looking individual at six feet five inches tall, no eyewitnesses recalled seeing him in or near lan Harry that day well. Jonathan maintained that he was in Orpington the entire day. The prosecut fusion attempted to poke holes in his alibi and believed that he would have had enough time to make the nearly four hundred mile round trip to Lonhari and back. Jonathan claimed that he spent the morning looking for rental offices which could potentially be used to set up the market research firm which Cheryl was hoping to start. Investigators were unable to find any real estate agents who could confirm this, but Jonathan maintained that he never spoke to any agents that day because he had already consulted with some of them in the past. Jonathan claimed that he returned to his flat at around noon and cleaned up a little bit before he went out for a walk alone. He then returned to the flat a second time at approximately one thirty PM and encountered three lift engineers who were performing some repairs in the building's basement. Jonathan claimed that he briefly spoke to these lift engineers, but when they were called upon to testify his witnesses, none of them could recall this conversation. Afterward, Jonathan said that he watched the game of cricket on television until around three pm before he left the flat again to run some more errands. Cheryl had spent the day at work and cannot confirm Jonathan's whereabouts, but she said that when she returned to the flat during the early evening hours, it looked like it had been recently tied up. Just like Jonathan said, this is.
Speaker 2: The worst when you're forced to prove your innocence instead of someone having to, you know, prove you guilty. How do you do that? How many of us have had a Monday, you know, kind of a mundane kind of afternoon and said, I'll tell you what happened. Not much. I got up, I you know, did a couple of things around the house. I went on a walk, I cleaned up. That's about it. Spoke to a couple guys outside. You know, there's nothing significant going on. It's how do you prove anything other than that? Like Cheryl said, I wasn't here, but it did look like the flat had been cleaned up. But poor Jonathan, there's no one there to validate and confirm his alibi. But there's also nobody who can say, wait, we saw this kind of guy that takes a lot of time, money investment to get in a car or a train and go on a four hundred mile round trip and kill someone and get home and pretend like nothing happened and make the trip right back to go and find their you know, find out that they've been killed. So to me, it makes more sense to have to trust in Jonathan's story than to just assume that he made this really extravagant trip. But underneath Cheryl's nose without her knowing, do.
Speaker 3: We know how long after this happened that the lift operators were questioned, Because we know Jonathan is six foot five and very distinct looking, so you'd think that they would remember having a conversation with him if they were questioned immediately after. But if it was months later, it's pretty difficult to remember something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know the exact time that the lift engineers were questioned because the murder took place in July ninety three, Jonathan was arrested in December, and this trial took place in April of nineteen ninety five, which is nearly two years after the fact. So under those circumstances. I can't blame the lift engineers for not being able to remember it, because in their minds, it just would have been nothing more than a routine, ordinary day, and their conversation with Jonathan wouldn't have been particularly memorable. And like, I can't verify if they were questioned shortly after the murders took place, but if they were not questioned until after Jonathan was arrested, which would have been like four or five months after the fact, then I can totally understand why they wouldn't have any recollection of this.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine is somebody questioning you even four or five weeks after the fact. Imagine like you work in a mall or something and you're having random conversations with people. You're not going to remember those unless there's something about that individual that really stood out in your head, Like if Jonathan was like a really attractive woman or something like that and they were all like, ooh, maybe then they would remember. But just having a casual conversation with a guy while you're doing your job, I just don't see there being a very strong likelihood of them being able to recall that. And, like Ashley said, just because you can't prove. It doesn't mean that you don't have an alibi. It's just it really would be so unfortunate to be accused of a crime and to have spent the whole day by yourself and to not really have a paper trail. I mean, nowadays, if you're out and about doing things, you're going to have a bunch of different charges. You'll be able to show, oh, look I was here, and you can look at phone tracking. But back in nineteen ninety three, they just didn't have those advantages.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Like if this took place today in London, there would be CCTV cameras everywhere, so I'm sure if Jonathan was out walking and running errands, he probably would have popped up on one of those cameras and it would have proved his alibi. But I think the problematic thing here is that, yes, Jonathan had a hard time proving his alibi, but the police didn't exactly prove that he was in Lanhari either, because they could not find any like gas station records or train records or anything to prove that he had taken this long trip. And I think that's more problematic is that they could prove that he was in law and Harry that day. The only evidence they had was the thumb print on the saucer.
Speaker 3: Well, the case would go to the jury, but unlike North America, a verdict in the trial in the United Kingdom does not necessarily have to be unanimous. Their legal system stipulates that if a unanimous verdict is not possible, a majority of ten to two is considered to be acceptable for a conviction, and that's exactly what happened here. After two days of deliberation, the jury found Jonathan guilty of the murders by a ten to two majority, and he would receive two life sentences. In spite of this, Cheryl never believed that her spouse was responsible for killing her parents. Even though Jonathan had phoned Cheryl from prison and advised her to get on with her life, she refused to do so and continued to stand by him. She insisted that Jonathan was a kind man who had a great relationship with her parents, and he pretty much considered Harry to be like a second father to him. Cheryl would spend the next year campaigning for Jonathan's release, even going so far as to offer a twenty five thousand pounds reward for information leading to the apprehension of the real killer. Cheryl's actions alienated many members of her extended family, particularly her paternal uncle and aunt, David and Cynthia twos, who believed Jonathan was guilty and started accusing Cheryl of being complicit in the killings.
Speaker 2: That is so sad and so hurtful for all members of the family. Right when you're being told one thing by police and investigators, and you have someone who's on trial, someone who's found guilty by ten individuals. I can totally understand why the family says they have the killer right. They're trusting that justice comes from the legal system, and I can understand their frustration with his girlfriend saying I'm going to stand by you and kind of turn my back against my parents and support the killer of these two individuals. The reality is Cheryl saying, you don't know him like I know him. You don't understand the relationship and dynamic he had with my parents, You don't understand what our plans were as a family. There is no way that he hurt my parents, And for her to