Speaker 1: I remember a time before the Great Quake. I found the love of my life and I married her. But that wasn't the greatest day of my life. The greatest day was when I found her three months after the Great Quake. I thought we could take our family and live quietly in the woods. But we couldn't stand by and watch people become refugees. and refugees become slaves. Chosen by the resistance, my wife became the lone survivor, the savior of the refugees. I stand by her side, fighting for all.
Speaker 2: Of God's people.
Speaker 3: This is life on the changing earth.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 5: Drink this.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 5: Don't thank me. Thank TJ.
Speaker 4: He's the one who told me I had to give it to you.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks anyway. Are you okay? I'm so sore. What happened to me? Don't you remember?
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: I think TJ was there. There was a boy, I remember. But it could have been a dream. What's happening to me? You'll feel better soon. How do you know? Trust me. Can I?
Speaker 2: Good morning. What's the rule?
Speaker 5: I will never run from you.
Speaker 2: That's right. Did you give her water this morning?
Speaker 6: Yes, TJ.
Speaker 2: Did you make it just like I told you?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: Why aren't you telling me?
Speaker 5: I did it just like you told me. It's just, she's so confused.
Speaker 8: She's fine. And it will help with the pain. Don't make it your business. Just do as you're told.
Speaker 9: Yes, TJ.
Speaker 2: How about some breakfast?
Speaker 5: Eggs and bacon?
Speaker 6: Perfect.
Speaker 2: Make a lot. Erica will be hungry.
Speaker 5: You're feeding her?
Speaker 2: Don't make it your business. But yes, she can eat as much as she wants.
Speaker 5: I'll make enough.
Speaker 2: Don't make her your business. How are we feeling this morning?
Speaker 6: Fine.
Speaker 5: Except... I can't get my mind straight.
Speaker 2: Your mind is right where it's supposed to be. Here, with me.
Speaker 5: Maybe you're right. I don't know what I'm trying to remember anyway.
Speaker 2: How's your back?
Speaker 7: Fine.
Speaker 10: Why?
Speaker 2: You had an accident last night, but it's better now.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 5: You told me that, didn't you?
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 2: See, your mind is doing just fine. Are you hungry?
Speaker 4: Yes, TJ.
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 2: What's the rule?
Speaker 5: I will never run from you.
Speaker 2: Put these shackles on.
Speaker 5: Yes, TJ.
Speaker 2: Give me your hands. I don't think we need this.
Speaker 5: Are you sure it's okay?
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't it be?
Speaker 5: I don't know. It feels like I've always worn it.
Speaker 2: Things are going to be different now.
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 2: Don't think. Trust me. Okay.
Speaker 6: Come on.
Speaker 2: Sit down on the couch while we wait.
Speaker 11: Ow!
Speaker 2: Your back. That's right. Sit here by me.
Speaker 8: You can lay your head on my leg until the food is ready. Your back won't touch the cushion.
Speaker 5: Thank you, TJ.
Speaker 11: The room is quiet. The lights are low. Your eyes look up at me. Soft and slow. No fire, no poison. No words that cut deep.
Speaker 12: Just a gentle curiosity as I pull you close to me.
Speaker 11: You smell good.
Speaker 6: I think I need a shower. We'll take care of it this afternoon.
Speaker 11: Beautiful scars, right up.
Speaker 6: To your ears.
Speaker 10: Are they?
Speaker 6: Scars give us strength. You've survived many battles.
Speaker 5: Have I?
Speaker 2: All this haze is killing my gardens.
Speaker 5: What happened to the sun?
Speaker 8: A volcano erupted. It's been a month since we've seen real daylight.
Speaker 5: That sucks.
Speaker 2: That's right. Sleep, girlie. My girlie.
Speaker 7: TJ, your breakfast is ready.
Speaker 6: Leave it on the table.
Speaker 13: It's going to get cold.
Speaker 6: Jeannie?
Speaker 14: I finally hold you without the hate in your eyes. My heart's finally calm after.
Speaker 6: All of this.
Speaker 15: So, how'd it go last night, DJ?
Speaker 5: Fine.
Speaker 15: You went to a party at T.J.
Speaker 13: Swenson's house, and all you have to say about it is it was fine?
Speaker 2: Come on, guys.
Speaker 16: If he doesn't want to talk about it, he doesn't have to.
Speaker 6: Whatever, guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're freaking square.
Speaker 15: You don't count.
Speaker 7: Hey, you know what?
Speaker 16: At least I don't make a fool of myself everywhere I go.
Speaker 15: What are you trying to say?
Speaker 2: I think I said it.
Speaker 7: Knock it the hell off, Rick.
Speaker 6: Guy's up right. If the DJ doesn't want to talk about it, he shouldn't have to.
Speaker 2: His business is his own damn business.
Speaker 17: I bet there was some fine-ass woman there.
Speaker 12: Rick.
Speaker 7: Let it go.
Speaker 17: Oh, I like that fine-ass woman that just got transferred to our unit.
Speaker 3: Where has she been all my life?
Speaker 13: I can't wait to see her face in the pit.
Speaker 2: She'd probably kick your ass.
Speaker 6: How about you, DJ? Got your eyes on anyone?
Speaker 15: No.
Speaker 10: For them, there was many, but for me, there was just the one.
Speaker 18: Same?
Speaker 6: Yeah, her name was Rebecca.
Speaker 19: Rebecca?
Speaker 7: Our parents were killed.
Speaker 6: In the quake.
Speaker 13: We came here together.
Speaker 20: From the orphanage.
Speaker 3: What happened to her?
Speaker 16: She died on a mission.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 21: For me, her name was Megan.
Speaker 7: Blackshirt's killed her family.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if she's alive or not.
Speaker 19: Oh, shit.
Speaker 15: What are you two whispering about over there?
Speaker 13: Think they got a bromance going, right?
Speaker 6: Just like you two bitches.
Speaker 20: Now you got jokes, Wayne?
Speaker 15: DJ shows up and you're the comedian?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you going to do about it, Rick?
Speaker 6: What are we going to do about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what are you going to do about it, James?
Speaker 6: Nothing, DJ.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 20: Yeah, sorry, bro.
Speaker 12: Thanks, DJ.
Speaker 3: I got your back.
Speaker 10: Erica.
Speaker 6: Erica. Calm down. It's okay.
Speaker 7: I'm right here.
Speaker 11: TJ?
Speaker 13: Who else would it be?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I.
Speaker 22: You're just hungry and breakfast is ready.
Speaker 5: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Jeannie, get Eric another glass of water.
Speaker 5: Thank you, TJ. I'm so thirsty.
Speaker 2: You'll never want again.
Speaker 5: Oh my, this smells wonderful. Bacon and eggs?
Speaker 6: Erica.
Speaker 5: Yes, TJ.
Speaker 2: Calm down. You're okay.
Speaker 16: Yes, TJ.
Speaker 2: Erica, let the girl go.
Speaker 6: Still scared?
Speaker 5: Yes, TJ. There's something, something I should know.
Speaker 2: Ask me a question. I'll tell you whatever you want to know.
Speaker 5: That's the thing. I don't even know what to ask.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 2: It'll pass. Come on. You can rest while I go see my boy. Do you need to go to the bathroom?
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 4: It's nice you never leave me.
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It makes me feel better when you're watching out for me.
Speaker 2: Well, then you're in luck because I'll watch you for the rest of your life.
Speaker 5: Promise?
Speaker 2: Without a doubt. Lay down and get comfortable.
Speaker 8: I'm going to be gone for a while, but it's okay. You rest and I'll be back this evening.
Speaker 2: If you need anything, you call for Jeannie.
Speaker 5: Okay, TJ.
Speaker 2: Are you okay?
Speaker 7: I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Let me see your head.
Speaker 7: I said I was okay.
Speaker 2: I heard what you said. Let me see your head.
Speaker 5: It's no big deal.
Speaker 8: It cut you open pretty good. I'll send Dolores by to put a couple stitches in it. Put some of that ice we keep for Mr.
Speaker 2: Lee on it.
Speaker 6: I will.
Speaker 5: Why did she do that?
Speaker 2: She's a killer, Jeannie. Her instinct is to fight.
Speaker 12: I guess so.
Speaker 2: You need to be more diligent, because I need you to take care of her.
Speaker 5: It's the water.
Speaker 4: She was always kind to me before that.
Speaker 6: When?
Speaker 2: When was she kind to you?
Speaker 4: When I brought her stuff.
Speaker 2: It is not your business.
Speaker 7: I know, but you broke her. You've never used that stuff before.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 8: But Erica needs to comply for the Supreme General, and the drugs will ensure I can have.
Speaker 2: Her ready in a month.
Speaker 8: After that, well, let's just say it's going to be a very different story. I'm going to train. Erica's staying in my room. Wake her every four hours for her water. No one goes in or out.
Speaker 4: Yes, TJ.
Speaker 2: Every four hours.
Speaker 19: I know.
Speaker 5: I got it.
Speaker 2: I'll send Dolores by.
Speaker 11: Thanks.
Speaker 13: Like a fire burning wild, a freight train you can't stop.
Speaker 22: Like a nightmare, but this time you don't want to wake up. It pulls you in, it takes over, you just can't let go of the worst, best thing that's ever happened to you.
Speaker 21: Hey everyone, this is Phil Radley from the Matter Facts Podcast, voice and the role of Cole Verges. If prepping guns and politics sounds like your cup of tea, come check out the Matter of Facts podcast every Friday on iTunes, Stitcher, and Spotify with my co-host, Andrew Bobo.
Speaker 3: Oh, wow!
Speaker 19: Look at the walls!
Speaker 15: Are we going to get anywhere near there?
Speaker 6: We are not. Graham and I will go. No one will recognize us.
Speaker 17: We have landowner and cross-regional travel passes. We can move through the city unnoticed. You guys stay right here. We'll be right back.
Speaker 15: Cole, what do you think? He's right.
Speaker 23: It's a good plan. We have to do something quick. We're too exposed out here in all this farmland.
Speaker 10: Everyone in Topeka is trading something.
Speaker 15: Food, horses, cows, refugees.
Speaker 2: Maybe you should take someone in as.
Speaker 6: A refugee for trade.
Speaker 15: He's right.
Speaker 13: I can go.
Speaker 15: You're on the federal list.
Speaker 13: I've been off the grid for a long time. I'm probably down at the bottom.
Speaker 5: And we're at the top.
Speaker 19: That's the truth.
Speaker 6: Then it's settled. We will be back.
Speaker 15: Good luck. Tread lightly.
Speaker 6: I guess there's not much to do except wait. We can't have a fire.
Speaker 3: Nothing can ever be done.
Speaker 2: Everything is so messed up.
Speaker 15: Vince, calm down. Penny's right. We need to stay as hidden as possible.
Speaker 2: I can go scout the area.
Speaker 15: Be discreet. We do not need questions right now.
Speaker 3: What we need right now is a damn miracle.
Speaker 2: I understand, sir.
Speaker 3: Well, I, for one, am happy to wait.
Speaker 15: I could use a break.
Speaker 6: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: It's the last thing I need. I need her.
Speaker 6: Vince!
Speaker 22: Vince!
Speaker 10: Vince!
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 3: Just leave me alone, Bennett.
Speaker 2: It's time to snap out of it.
Speaker 20: I know.
Speaker 10: No, you don't know. I've never been able to grip on you like I could Erica. But now it's time. You've always been there in the background, ready to step up when you're needed, but not stepping up on your own?
Speaker 7: Well, now it's time.
Speaker 3: Bennett, I can't do this right now. We are doing this, Vince, right now. What do you know about it, Bennett? This is your fault we're in this position.
Speaker 10: You think so?
Speaker 1: Do you really?
Speaker 10: I've read your file over and over. Who initiated the very first offense on your way to Las Vegas?
Speaker 23: I did.
Speaker 10: True.
Speaker 3: They took her dog. Erica was furious.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Erica was pissed.
Speaker 10: You're always using the Erica shield.
Speaker 6: What? Everything is for her, right?
Speaker 10: You never step forward on your own without using her as an excuse for your actions.
Speaker 7: In Vegas, you went for Tweed.
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 3: Because I knew Erica would, and I couldn't watch her get hurt or worse.
Speaker 2: The Erica Shield.
Speaker 10: You should have gone after that son of a bitch because of the years of the torment he put you through. Not to mention your kids. For your own self-worth, not for her.
Speaker 3: Just stop, Bennett. No.
Speaker 5: You are a strong and capable man.
Speaker 10: You want to be in these chains?
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 3: Then why do you put yourself in them?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I wanted to take my family and leave all this behind a long time ago. But you and Colt. You two couldn't let that happen, could you?
Speaker 10: The feds were already going after you. Where were you going to go? What were you going to do? You're as big a part of this as she is. There's a reason they want you dead.
Speaker 6: You are a threat. You need to realize that.
Speaker 3: I'm just a guy who loves his family and growing food. I'm not a soldier or a rebel.
Speaker 5: You're wrong, Vince.
Speaker 21: You trained just as long as she has.
Speaker 10: You've been in all the battles, right along with us.
Speaker 4: You are powerful.
Speaker 3: And you're an asshole. Dad, stop!
Speaker 20: Daniel, let them go!
Speaker 10: You want to hit me?
Speaker 7: That's fine.
Speaker 6: Let's go!
Speaker 10: You don't have the courage to beat me without her, do you?
Speaker 12: This is going too far.
Speaker 24: We need to.
Speaker 19: No, let him.
Speaker 20: Work it out.
Speaker 15: Now, I think it's time to step in. Vince, that's enough. Come on, Vince.
Speaker 3: Get the hell off me, Bennett.
Speaker 15: You proved your point.
Speaker 11: See, Vince?
Speaker 3: You are powerful. You know how to dominate. Now is the time.
Speaker 10: That man took your wife and your son.
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: What do you mean, took my son?
Speaker 23: Harold told me before we left.
Speaker 10: Dexter's tracker came online as DJ Swinson.
Speaker 3: And you neglected to tell me that.
Speaker 10: You've been a zombie since we started this mission. We're all here for you. You hold the cards and won't even look at your hand to play them.
Speaker 7: We need you.
Speaker 5: We need you, Dad.
Speaker 19: We all do, Dad.
Speaker 3: You all are my closest friends. I appreciate you so much. You're right, Bennett. I have been checked out for too long.
Speaker 7: We're going to get them back. All of us together.
Speaker 9: Broken roads and stormy skies.
Speaker 7: Winds that howl and tears we cry.
Speaker 22: Devil's challenges try to tear us down. But we lift each other when we hit the ground.
Speaker 18: Hand in hand.
Speaker 5: Through the pouring rain.
Speaker 6: Every scar.
Speaker 7: I can't wait to tell Jose about last night. He's going to love that story.
Speaker 8: It was a long time coming. You know how long I've chased that girlie? And how many men I've lost? You guys got anything on Vince and Bennett yet?
Speaker 17: No.
Speaker 7: I'm headed back out with Bowman this afternoon.
Speaker 2: You're not going out, Uri?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: What's up with you?
Speaker 6: Nothing.
Speaker 2: You're going to pout.
Speaker 6: Over a woman?
Speaker 13: Look who's all obsessed over a woman.
Speaker 8: You made the bet, Uri. It's not my fault you lost. So you better suck it the hell up. You wouldn't see me pouting like a bitch if I lost. I'm not the one who wrapped a whip around my friend's neck because he touched some whore. She is not some whore. She belongs to the Supreme General. If I can't touch her, you can be sure no one else will. I don't even know why I'm explaining this to you. My business is my own, Yuri. Would you rather be a neutered soldier for the Supreme General with a coat on your arm? No, T.J., And I suggest you rethink your attitude.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, DJ. You're right.
Speaker 2: I made the bet. Besides, I didn't use Sheila.
Speaker 6: Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: We're brothers in life, Yuri.
Speaker 22: I don't know why you wanted to come all the way out here.
Speaker 2: They'll have to come to a city center for food.
Speaker 7: How long did you oversee Erica Moore?
Speaker 6: Almost a decade.
Speaker 7: Did you research the family? Of course I did.
Speaker 3: They were all involved in all.
Speaker 6: Of her plots.
Speaker 7: Did you review how they were trained for the salvage missions by your idiot boss?
Speaker 2: I don't see what you're getting at.
Speaker 7: They were trained in wilderness survival. They know how to forage from the land as they go. They don't need a city.
Speaker 1: But they do need information, and you'll find that in the city.
Speaker 7: Or on the outskirts of one.
Speaker 3: Good day, gentlemen.
Speaker 19: It's not every day we get black shirts visiting our establishment. What can I help you with?
Speaker 7: We're just here for a drink.
Speaker 19: Well, well, you came to the right spot. We actually have the finest tequila in Tepeka. Let me show you.
Speaker 6: To a seat.
Speaker 3: For you, sir?
Speaker 2: I'll just have a beer.
Speaker 7: I'll be back. See anyone you recognize?
Speaker 18: The refugee traders love to eat here.
Speaker 2: That's who a majority of these folks are.
Speaker 19: Here you go, gentlemen.
Speaker 7: Why don't you sit down with us for a momento, beautiful?
Speaker 19: I'm actually needed in the kitchen.
Speaker 7: You are needed right here. Sit down.
Speaker 19: I guess I can spare a moment.
Speaker 7: Smart choice. Would you like one? I'd call you by name, but I don't know it.
Speaker 19: Jessica, and I'd love a drink. What are you looking for, mister?
Speaker 7: A group of runaways.
Speaker 19: I'm sorry, sir, but you're going to have to be a bit more specific. This is Topeka. We've got nothing but traders, runaways, and riffraff.
Speaker 7: And what does that make you?
Speaker 19: I guess we got pub owners, too.
Speaker 7: Such a pretty smile. I always was a sucker for a redhead. These are big boys. You wouldn't be able to miss them. All of them are skilled fighters.
Speaker 19: Sounds like you have merc traders on your hands, not escaped refugees.
Speaker 7: Aren't you perceptive? What if I told you you were right, and if you could tell me where they are, you would never want anything again?
Speaker 13: Then I would ask you what your name is, so that if I heard anything, I would know who to take.
Speaker 19: The information to.
Speaker 7: They will come through town, and I want to know exactly when they do. This is Rex Bowman. He's the one to contact if you need to talk to me.
Speaker 19: Is there a name I should look out for?
Speaker 7: Patrick Bennett.
Speaker 19: I'll keep my ears open.
Speaker 14: Just get while the getting is good.
Speaker 2: Hello, this is L. Douglas Hogan, voice of T.J. Swenson.
Speaker 8: You can follow me at Amazon or go to facebook.com slash honor your oath.
Speaker 2: I look forward to seeing you there.
Speaker 17: I did not know it would be this big.
Speaker 13: It's the supermarket for the capital.
Speaker 6: Good gracious, look at these women. A man could get used to this town.
Speaker 13: I thought you were married.
Speaker 7: A man can sample the flavor so he appreciates the one at home, right?
Speaker 13: Nah, it's not supposed to work that way.
Speaker 3: It's no big deal.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 17: Those women would not have anything to do with him. Anyway, he's just talking shit.
Speaker 15: Check that place out.
Speaker 6: The Sherwood Lake Clubhouse.
Speaker 17: A perfect place to steal from the rich and.
Speaker 6: Give back to the poor.
Speaker 13: Hold on a second. Blend into the crowd.
Speaker 6: What's wrong?
Speaker 13: That guy coming out of the restaurant. His name is Rex Bowman. He was a guard out in Las Vegas.
Speaker 6: He would know you?
Speaker 13: For sure.
Speaker 2: You can bet on me.
Speaker 13: What is he doing here?
Speaker 2: Same thing all black shirts do.
Speaker 15: They're looking for someone.
Speaker 13: Who's he with?
Speaker 6: A Mexican guy. He's got a lot of tattoos. It looks like he would be a fine warrior.
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 15: Do we go in?
Speaker 13: There's not too many people in this world that would recognize me. Have we run into one that would?
Speaker 6: They are looking for us.
Speaker 17: What if there are more black shirts in there?
Speaker 2: I'll go in and check it out.
Speaker 6: It might look suspicious.
Speaker 15: We won't know until we walk in.
Speaker 6: Then let us walk in.
Speaker 19: Hello, gentlemen. Must be my lucky day for meeting handsome new men.
Speaker 17: Probably not too unusual for this location.
Speaker 19: You're right, sir. Would you like a table or a seat at the bar?
Speaker 6: A table.
Speaker 19: What brings you gentlemen into town?
Speaker 15: Selling off this refugee.
Speaker 3: Just one? Yes.
Speaker 6: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 19: Most folks around here bring 15 or so to make it.
Speaker 6: Worth their while.
Speaker 17: We are looking to buy some horses as well.
Speaker 19: Oh, well. Why didn't you just say so? I may happen to personally know one of the top breeders in the area. Let me grab you fellows your drinks and we can talk business.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 13: Why did you tell her we were buying horses?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 17: The one refugee seemed a little lackluster.
Speaker 13: You better make up something quick.
Speaker 19: I have to tell you this story about one of the horses my friend has. It's one of the finest in the stable and can fight like a beast. His name is Bennett.
Speaker 17: That is funny, because my friend has a horse named Bennett as well.
Speaker 19: I had a feeling that may have been the case. It's far too hot now for you to be on the street right now.
Speaker 20: Two black shirts.
Speaker 5: Just left here.
Speaker 6: We saw them.
Speaker 19: How big is your group?
Speaker 18: Twelve.
Speaker 7: That many?
Speaker 6: Good Lord above.
Speaker 19: You came for Erica, didn't you?
Speaker 6: I am looking for a man named Yamir. Shh.
Speaker 19: You really aren't from around here, are you?
Speaker 20: Come with me.
Speaker 19: Shane, cover the door.
Speaker 17: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 16: Hey, did you see the way that chick worked James in the ring?
Speaker 15: His head was all mixed up.
Speaker 6: You know what TJ says.
Speaker 17: The plumbing between their legs makes no difference how hard you fight.
Speaker 13: That's right, Wayne. She's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: You're hopeless.
Speaker 20: Okay, maggots. That's enough chatter.
Speaker 24: Yesterday we discussed the tracking system and how to use the locator. Now get your asses into two groups of ten.
Speaker 20: Each one will scan the other.
Speaker 13: Wait.
Speaker 20: Get over here and get your team scanner.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 24: DJ, let me see your code.
Speaker 6: My code?
Speaker 20: Yes, your code. Let me see your arm.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir.
Speaker 20: Now you want to make sure... to.
Speaker 24: Get the red line even and clearly picks up the barcode. The information shows up in the readout screen.
Speaker 20: See here?
Speaker 24: It shows your handler and all your former owners.
Speaker 20: This shows T.J. Swenson. You're new here, aren't you?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 20: I had no idea.
Speaker 6: T.J.
Speaker 13: Had a son.
Speaker 20: My name is Renaud Baker.
Speaker 24: Very nice to meet you, sir.
Speaker 20: Okay, okay, shut up. Let's continue this exercise.
Speaker 10: T.J.
Speaker 15: 's your dad? I, I mean.
Speaker 20: Now, boys, I said shut your mouth. Pay attention here to your group.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir. Yes, sir.
Speaker 6: A flicker in my heart A.
Speaker 3: Life I used to know Faces lost to ashes.
Speaker 6: And the embers fading low. I was someone gentle.
Speaker 25: With dreams that held me tight.
Speaker 6: Now I'm carved from shadows.
Speaker 25: Standing in the fight. A voice commands my future. I'm so screwed now.
Speaker 2: It's got its own soul.
Speaker 18: Hello, sir.
Speaker 2: Surprised to see me?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir.
Speaker 19: Why?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I thought now that I served my purpose.
Speaker 2: Don't tell me my business, son.
Speaker 8: You think that because I used you to get your mother to fold, I'd discard you?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't be training you with that leather in your hand if I had any intention of discarding you. I like to think of you as my son.
Speaker 2: No bullshit.
Speaker 5: I'd be honored, sir.
Speaker 2: Follow my pattern. Yes, sir. Your turn. Your brain is getting in the way. What's on your mind?
Speaker 10: We scanned my code in class today.
Speaker 2: I registered it.
Speaker 3: Does Yuri know?
Speaker 2: What business is it of his?
Speaker 3: None, I guess.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 8: Now let's do some training. Eventually you'll have to pick up a name for your whip. But for now, let's make you a master. You follow my pattern. If you can't hit it exactly, you do ten push-ups, squats, or sit-ups.
Speaker 3: I'll call it.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir.
Speaker 7: Your turn.
Speaker 2: Sit up.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir.
Speaker 9: Dust on the wind, orange haze burning low.
Speaker 11: Kids got that fire, watch the leather flow.
Speaker 2: I snap the whip and match.
Speaker 7: It clean and true.
Speaker 22: It's the rhythm once you know what you gotta do.
Speaker 7: But every time you rock, I feel it in my chest.
Speaker 22: The sun I never had putting all this hope to the test.
Speaker 2: You better get some chow.
Speaker 7: Mr.
Speaker 8: Lee has plans for you tomorrow, but I'll be by when he's not. We're going to make you strong.
Speaker 5: Sounds great, sir. Thank you for coming out.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I really enjoyed it. This is just the beginning, DJ.
Speaker 21: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: Javier, how are you? Working hard or hardly working?
Speaker 7: Where have you been all afternoon, Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky?
Speaker 8: I was out at the whip range I made, training with DJ. That boy's going to be good.
Speaker 7: You made a whip range? I gotta check that out. Sounds awesome.
Speaker 2: You coming in for dinner?
Speaker 7: You know that I am.
Speaker 2: Where's Scott?
Speaker 7: He should be home right about now. I sent him out.
Speaker 2: Got a lead?
Speaker 7: Something like that.
Speaker 26: Human trafficking is not fiction. It's a reality in every country. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children explains that every 30 seconds a child is trafficked in the United States.
Speaker 5: If you see something, say something.
Speaker 26: Dial 888-373-7888 or visit humantraffickinghotline.org for more contact information. You may be helping to save a life.
Speaker 18: Can't beat the warmth of the fire on a fall evening, eh?
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 16: I could do without staring at the stack of metal I need to turn into horseshoes by the end of the night.
Speaker 18: Looks like you need to hire an assistant.
Speaker 16: The horse trading is good, my friend. And new shoes always sweeten a sale. Sure does give me job security. I got a whole army of farriers that head out during the day, but no one to help move the metal.
Speaker 13: I'd give you a hand.
Speaker 16: You know metal.
Speaker 18: I sure do. My family has had large horse farms.
Speaker 2: Jump on in.
Speaker 16: I've got an extra apron over on the hook. How come you ain't at your family's farm?
Speaker 18: My family's farm was taken by the feds up north.
Speaker 16: How'd you get a pass into the central region?
Speaker 18: Who says I did?
Speaker 15: Do you have a tracker?
Speaker 6: No, sir.
Speaker 18: I was a landowner and always will be. Doesn't matter what the government says.
Speaker 16: You better make yourself scarce. If a quad comes around, they'll sell you on the stage by the river.
Speaker 18: Don't I know it.
Speaker 2: Do you know metal? I'm impressed.
Speaker 16: How are you planning on surviving here?
Speaker 18: I hadn't really thought that far. My only focus was getting into the central region. Now that I'm here, I'm not sure what to do.
Speaker 16: Well, I can pay you for your work tonight.
Speaker 18: I can't spend credits.
Speaker 15: I can pay you in silver.
Speaker 16: That should get you by with plenty of the vendors around here. But I can't do more than that. The feds keep us on a tight leash. You'll learn that following their rules isn't such a bad idea.
Speaker 6: No, sir.
Speaker 18: I don't think I will. They killed my family, took my land, and forced me to become a fugitive. I will have justice.
Speaker 15: Best of luck to you on your journey, my friend.
Speaker 6: Hi, TJ.
Speaker 2: Hi, Jeannie. It smells good in here. What are you making?
Speaker 4: Fried chicken.
Speaker 2: The boys are coming.
Speaker 5: I made extra for them.
Speaker 2: Is she still asleep?
Speaker 5: She is.
Speaker 2: Did you wake her for water like I told you?
Speaker 26: I did.
Speaker 2: You are the best. What would I do without you?
Speaker 4: Thank you, TJ.
Speaker 6: Erica.
Speaker 12: Hmm.
Speaker 5: Hi, TJ.
Speaker 2: Did you sleep well?
Speaker 25: Yes.
Speaker 2: Any bad dreams?
Speaker 5: No. I was out like a light. Jeannie brought me more water. I'm ready to get up.
Speaker 2: Well then, let's do it.
Speaker 25: Ugh.
Speaker 5: I feel so good.
Speaker 2: You're stretching all the way down to your toes. Does your back hurt?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 2: It's nothing. However, you stink. You want to take a shower?
Speaker 20: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Hold on a second. Genie, is Yuri here yet?
Speaker 6: I'm here.
Speaker 2: Grab me new clothes for Erica and her chain.
Speaker 6: Beautiful.
Speaker 20: You could at least let me come in and watch.
Speaker 2: Go drink your vodka. Get on your knees, Erica. So wild and free.
Speaker 8: Give me your hands. Take off your shirt and bra. Let's put this back on for now.
Speaker 6: So beautiful.
Speaker 2: Stand up. Now take the rest of your clothes off.
Speaker 6: Come here.
Speaker 2: Here's fresh clothes. There's a shower.
Speaker 5: Thank you, TJ. Will you stay here with me?
Speaker 2: Woman, I wouldn't leave if you wanted me to.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 11: Make your legs start to shake.
Speaker 7: TJ, dinner is ready.
Speaker 2: Keep it warm. We'll be there in a minute.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Finish up. Dinner's ready.
Speaker 26: Ah, good.
Speaker 5: I'm starved.
Speaker 2: Eugene, it to yourself.
Speaker 4: Did I?
Speaker 2: Don't worry about the past. The focus is always on the future.
Speaker 5: I like that. I can't remember what I'm trying to remember anyway.
Speaker 2: So stop trying.
Speaker 3: Come here.
Speaker 2: Step into your towel so I can hold you.
Speaker 5: You're so warm.
Speaker 2: Say it.
Speaker 5: T.J., I will never run from you.
Speaker 2: You smell much better.
Speaker 5: I feel much better. You have to put on my cuffs.
Speaker 8: Give me your hands. I have some friends over. They aren't going to hurt you, okay?
Speaker 5: Okay, TJ.
Speaker 2: No surprises. Even if they touch you, okay?
Speaker 5: If you say so, TJ. No surprises.
Speaker 6: The curfew will be here soon. Where the heck are they?
Speaker 2: We can't stay here much longer.
Speaker 3: You didn't see them coming in, Nicolton?
Speaker 24: Nope.
Speaker 15: It's been too long already. What if they got caught?
Speaker 19: It's about time.
Speaker 6: What's the scoop?
Speaker 17: I found an Irish lady named Jessica.
Speaker 6: Who knows Vince? She is from Lumpkinport, Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember her.
Speaker 17: Her house was demolished the last time the Mississippi Sea surged. She says the secret police are out in full force.
Speaker 6: Everyone is in a panic.
Speaker 17: They're looking for someone, and they're sniffing their noses everywhere.
Speaker 8: Shit.
Speaker 15: What are we going to do?
Speaker 6: Calm down, big man.
Speaker 17: Jessica has a friend outside the city. They have a large horse ranch, and she stays there on the weekends. She told me to take you guys there. She will meet us there in the morning.
Speaker 6: What about Graham and Holmes?
Speaker 17: They are staying with Jessica tonight as collateral. She does not know me from Adam, and she wants to make sure her friends stay safe.
Speaker 7: She will verify.
Speaker 17: Vince's identity tomorrow and set up a meeting with Yamir if everything checks out.
Speaker 15: How are her friends going to know we're okay?
Speaker 6: I have a letter from her to them.
Speaker 17: We'll find the farm, you guys hide out, I'll make the introductions, and we should be.
Speaker 6: Good to go.
Speaker 5: Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
Speaker 6: First, we need to find the ranch.
Speaker 17: She said it's west of the city, and I have directions.
Speaker 3: There it is.
Speaker 15: Go ahead, dear.
Speaker 2: We'll cover you.
Speaker 15: Nicolton, Bennett, we have two perimeter guards approaching.
Speaker 23: You want us to intercept? No, let's hold up here and see how this plays out. Looks like gear is talking to the owner. The owner has perimeter guards.
Speaker 15: On the radio.
Speaker 23: Gear signaling us to come in.
Speaker 2: How y'all doing tonight?
Speaker 3: Fine, you?
Speaker 10: Mr.
Speaker 23: Johansen has requested y'all's presence out back, please.
Speaker 15: Lead the way.
Speaker 26: I'm quite concerned about what's coming next. Personally, I think we'll probably see food shortages and other disruptions. Are you prepared if things go wrong? Does your family have enough food and supplies on hand to last at least 30 days? If not, the time to prepare is right now. Don't wait another minute. To help you on your journey, I recommend My Patriot Supply. They're the leaders in self-reliance, and they have a four-week supply of emergency food that lasts up to 25 years in storage. So you never have to worry again. Don't put your family through the pain of hunger or standing in government food lines. Go to preparewithchangingearth.com today and your emergency food will be shipped quickly and discreetly to your door. Those who know what's coming are using today to prepare. So visit preparewithchangingearth.com, the original Patriot Preparedness Company. Their mission is your survival. That's preparewithchangingearth.com.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Lucky H.
Speaker 27: Any friend of Jessica's is a friend of mine. I have just the sort of accommodations you need.
Speaker 3: A wine cellar.
Speaker 13: It's always got to be a wine cellar.
Speaker 27: I assure you the accommodations are much better inside.
Speaker 13: Please come in.
Speaker 27: Name's Christopher Johanson.
Speaker 3: That's more.
Speaker 6: Like the Vince Moore? Husband of Erica Moore?
Speaker 3: The same.
Speaker 6: You're supposed to be dead.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: And I still have the bruises to prove that.
Speaker 27: But Erica came here. She's marrying the Supreme General in a month?
Speaker 3: She didn't come by her own free will.
Speaker 6: I knew it. Unite the country.
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: How many times have you seen her in public?
Speaker 27: She was at a big welcoming parade, and then there was some grand ball with Canadian delegates.
Speaker 3: Did she look okay?
Speaker 27: Actually, both times she wore high-neck dresses that aren't really popular amongst the elite right now. My wife made mention of it. Other than that, she looked healthy. At the ball. Yeah?
Speaker 6: T.J. Swinson was there.
Speaker 12: So?
Speaker 22: So?
Speaker 6: So, Mr.
Speaker 27: Swenson doesn't usually frequent formal events like that. He's a tolerated element of society because he does the landowner's dirty work. Now that I think of it, he stood behind her and followed her all evening.
Speaker 3: He still got her.
Speaker 13: Do you know if she's being housed at the Supreme General's?
Speaker 27: You would think so, because she's marrying the man. The Supreme General has entertained other women in the past, and typically.
Speaker 3: They'll.
Speaker 27: Be in the marketplace or with him during the day. But since the ball, no one has seen Erica.
Speaker 15: They must have her someplace else.
Speaker 3: Or they have her locked in there.
Speaker 15: We're going to have to find out before we can make a move.
Speaker 6: And we're trying to get her back.
Speaker 2: Of course we are. Sir, you don't mind if a couple of us stay as guests in the house?
Speaker 7: I'm sure you're a really great guy.
Speaker 2: But you understand, right?
Speaker 6: You have papers.
Speaker 7: Both Jere and I.
Speaker 27: I think housing your people here is trust enough. My home is out of the question. However, I have room.
Speaker 6: In the bunkhouse. If you're going to be.
Speaker 27: Here long term, I'm in need of hands. And there's always plenty of work to be done.
Speaker 2: We'll be more than happy to pitch in where we can.
Speaker 6: Let's settle it in tonight.
Speaker 27: We'll see what Jessica has to say tomorrow and then figure out a plan from there.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your help.
Speaker 27: It's an honor to have you here.
Speaker 5: This is cozy.
Speaker 19: Look at that kitchen. Let's make some dinner.
Speaker 6: Sounds good to me.
Speaker 3: How can I help?
Speaker 6: Anyone out for a game of Uno while we wait?
Speaker 3: Deal me in.
Speaker 18: I'd be more than happy to get your butt at a game of Uno.
Speaker 5: Oh, big talker.
Speaker 22: The world I fought for crumbled, a lie I couldn't see. She showed me what we're fighting for, truth and liberty. Her kids, they call me uncle. Their laughter heals my scars. I face a thousand battles to keep them safe from harm. We clash on rules and reasons. Her questions never cease. But in her spark, I found my home.
Speaker 18: My heart has found its peace.
Speaker 5: Family forged in fire. Through battles we've been torn.
Speaker 18: We've been waiting on you guys to eat. How are you tonight, girly?
Speaker 2: She needed a shower.
Speaker 7: Let's eat then. I'm starved.
Speaker 2: Erica, sit here in between Yuri and me.
Speaker 5: Yes, TJ.
Speaker 18: That means I get to sit across from her. Nothing I'd rather gaze at while I eat.
Speaker 2: Scott, back off.
Speaker 18: What, I can't look at a woman?
Speaker 7: You're making her nervous. Just eat your damn food, you fools.
Speaker 18: Who the hell cares if she's nervous?
Speaker 7: Eat your food.
Speaker 18: TJ's got her so well trained, his mood is the only thing controlling that woman. She looks to him for every direction. Look at me, girly.
Speaker 5: TJ.
Speaker 2: Do as he commands.
Speaker 10: See?
Speaker 18: That's not so bad, is it?
Speaker 2: Did you find the truck yet?
Speaker 18: Commander Gray has men scouring the east, but I think they're on foot headed west.
Speaker 7: The truck would have popped up by now if they were still in it. I think Scott is right on this one.
Speaker 15: Why wouldn't he?
Speaker 18: While you've been chasing bounties out of the central region I think commander gray let a terrorist group live right under his nose.
Speaker 2: Are you serious Carl Carl's a thorough man.
Speaker 4: Here Erica have some more water Thanks.
Speaker 18: Well, I've been playing the flip side. Trying to infiltrate the resistance. No one here knows me and I don't stick out like a sore thumb like Javier.
Speaker 7: Hey, man. I resemble that statement. Every tattoo has a story.
Speaker 2: Where are they?
Speaker 18: They could be north of the capital. I'm not exactly sure. And the members are guarded with all the pressure they're under. But I have a gut feeling.
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 11: Topeka.
Speaker 18: Javier is going to rattle some cages tomorrow.
Speaker 20: Good.
Speaker 7: You know, TJ, you could just let them come to you. You know they will.
Speaker 2: This job was supposed to be done a long time ago. The sooner the better. Tomorrow's another day. I suggest you find me some answers. I'll see you then.
Speaker 18: Good night, TJ.
Speaker 7: See you in the mañana, hermano.
Speaker 2: Come on. You did good today.
Speaker 5: Thanks, TJ. Does that mean I can go back to your room?
Speaker 20: No.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 2: You'll be fine. I'll be back to get you for breakfast. So wild and free. What is she doing? She's working out. Such a creature of habit. She's been in.
Speaker 8: Motion for so long she doesn't know how to sit still. And she's still so strong.
Speaker 5: Is everything okay, TJ?
Speaker 2: Exercise will run the drug out of her system.
Speaker 4: Do you want me to stay up to give her more water?
Speaker 2: No, I'll do it. Go to bed.
Speaker 26: Good night.
Speaker 14: I finally hold you without the hate in your eyes. My heart's finally calm after all of those lies.
Speaker 12: You're safe in my arms.
Speaker 7: You don't want to run.
Speaker 14: I've waited so long.
Speaker 12: Just to feel like I've won. Stay with me tonight. Please stay with me tonight.
Speaker 11: I trace your shoulder, your skin warm on mine.
Speaker 12: No flinch, no curse, just a soft little sigh.
Speaker 2: Eric, uh, Calm down.
Speaker 3: It's me.
Speaker 5: TJ, is it morning?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: I knew you'd be thirsty after your workout.
Speaker 5: Thank you. That's so kind.
Speaker 2: And I brought you a bigger, softer blanket.
Speaker 5: Really? For me? Thank you.
Speaker 2: Lay down. I'll tuck you in.
Speaker 5: You're the best.
Speaker 2: Go back to sleep, and I'll see you in the morning.
Speaker 14: Stay with me tonight. Don't wake from this dream.
Speaker 8: One day I'll be able to take her off that drug and have her, body and mind. Vince, that bastard is still out there. She has that look when she thinks of him, but now she looks to me like that. I have to kill him or she'll never be mine. What are you doing here?
Speaker 10: I knew you were going to be alone tonight and thought maybe you needed a warm body in your bed.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong. You know what, Dolores?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 2: This is a life I could get used to.
Speaker 6: Please stay with me tonight.
Speaker 12: It's not all real, not the way I need, but I'll take this moment. I'll take what I can keep. One day you'll choose me, not forced, not afraid. Till then I'll hold you close.
Speaker 9: Thank you for listening to the Changing Earth audio drama based on the Changing Earth novel series by Sarah F.
Speaker 2: Hathaway.
Speaker 9: Grab your copy on Amazon or get signed editions at ChangingEarthSeries.com.
Speaker 7: This content is copyrighted.
Speaker 9: For details on performers, sound effects, and music credits, visit ChangingEarthSeries.com, where you can subscribe to support the series and keep the adventure alive.
Speaker 6: Check out the Changing Earth store for exclusive gear.
Speaker 2: Love the show.
Speaker 9: Like, subscribe, and drop a review on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, YouTube, Rumble, or your favorite platform. Stay prepared and stay tuned for the next episode of the Changing Earth Audio Drama.