Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Catch the show Monday through Friday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: Two nothing.
Speaker 2: It's Alva not so fast co hole breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 3: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 2: And Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 1: I had a cherry tree up little Ricky if I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and much on those cherry years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 3: Ten o'clock and downtown v Kouver. We're the Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor along with Rick Dollywall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls. Our director of the Voice of God is Derek.
Speaker 1: How are you lovely?
Speaker 3: A lot happening today. We'll get to the soccer in a second here, but we just want to remind people are telling people, our viewers, our listeners. Manny maholtre, twenty third head coach in Canucks history, introduced as the twenty third head coach in Canuck's History's going to join us in the next segment. A full disclosure. We recorded this interview moments ago with Manny. You'll be interested to hear who his number one coaching influence has been. So we look forward to that in our next segment. And also we'll have Thomas drants On in our third segment. And Thomas has done an article in The Athletic on Richard seely he talked with him and miss Richard. For people aren't aware, I'm sure you are, Canuck fans. A new Cannucks assistant general manager and general manager of the Abbotsford Cannucks BC kit from Power River Power River former Power River paper King by the way, So we look forward to Manny and Thomas Drantz for connucts out there. Meanwhile, there's a good reason why if you came into town you don't have a monthly parking If you came into town today and people charging parking lots charging sixty five dollars to park downtown this morning, people going to work, and that they did it to you, sixty five dollars are the parking lot across the street. Here, look the focus here is soccer. But there's got to be some law that you can't do this to people. Are so ridiculous that charge should not start until after nine o'clock or ten o'clock when people are at work.
Speaker 1: So we park across the street where by BC Place, you and I pay what eighteen bucks? Eighteen bucks today they charged sixty three bucks. Ridiculous. These guys should be held accountable.
Speaker 3: It's BS Canada versus katar as we move away from us complaining three o'clock today at BC Place. Hence I hate using that works so snobby, Hence the sixty three sixty five dollars parting charge. The big news go, well, the first of all, this is going to be the focus of our Wadling dog pole question. It's got to be right up there arguably number one biggest sporting event ever going back to nineteen eighty three at BC Place. That's going to be the focus of our wadling dog poll question. But big news yesterday Jesse Marsh, head coach of Canada's national men's soccer team, made himself available to reporters yesterday and he came up with some excellent news regarding the health coming off a hamstring issue. Still dealing with a hamstring issue. Regarding Canadian captain Alfonso Davies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been in training this week and he'll be available tomorrow and we'll see how the match goes and then make a decision on how we would choose to use him.
Speaker 3: So there he goes, Shart and sweet. Alfonso Davies, former White Cap, he knows all about BC plays, former White cap, will be available by take it. He's not going to start. Also, key defender Moist Bombido, who fractured his tibia not that long ago, will also be available for the Canadians as they take on Guitar. Ryan has gone on record. Ryan Henderson has gone on record as saying, not only does Canada have to win this game, which is obvious that they are favored, looking for their first ever World Cup victory, but they have to win big. And I'm saying that you know one nails fine, just just win win the match. I don't care what the score is, win the match. I mean, it's such unfamiliar territory for any of us who have cared about followed the Canadian soccer program for years and years, going way back eighty six. The first World Cup appearance when it was you know, it would have been a big deal for them to score a goal, which they didn't. But unfamiliar territory, they're the favorites going into this game. Ranked thirtieth by FIFA Man's World Cup rankings, playing on home turf. There's going to be a march to the match. I believe it starts at Science World. You know, over fifty thousand mostly Canadian offans. They unfamiliar territory favorite going into a World Cup match.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound like Davies is going to play a ton. Just listening to the coach his injury the hamstring a month ago, I said that, I know, but he's obviously not going to start. But it could not be many minutes either done. They got to get Jonathan David going. He's had a top ten months. You know. In the first game, I think he only played sixty two minutes and then he was taken.
Speaker 3: Out of the game and his replacement, Kyle Larren scored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So what I'm saying is there's Canada's leading all time goalscorer. They need him to step up today. Jonathan David. There's no question and at the end of the day. I don't care if they win four to one, five, two on one, nothing, get the victory the first ever. That's the most important thing.
Speaker 3: Let's hit the Watling Dog pull question, the experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations. We're gonna go to this a little bit earlier. Yes, it's a very busy show. We're talking about the Wattling Dog. Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada's a game shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Watling Dog today.
Speaker 1: Rick Ryan got her up the Wattling Dog pop pole. Question. Is Canada versus Countire the biggest sporting met in BC plays history? Look at this, fifty three percent say yes, but forty seven percent say no. So this is pretty darn close the first ever event. Let me just get this out of the way. Nineteen eighty three. Little Ricky was there. I was in there in the upper deck. Uh I was there. To me, that was the biggest event, because anytime you open.
Speaker 3: Up, tell people what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the white Caps they beat the Sounder, Seattle Sounders down the highway. Beach boys, beach boys. Little Ricky was there. I was there eight bucks a ticket or something like that. You can't even get a glass.
Speaker 3: It was parking.
Speaker 1: Parking was not sixty three bucks like it is today. But for me, the biggest event was the first one White Cap.
Speaker 3: Sounders ninety four Great Cup for me. Oh yes, b BC Lions over Sycamore. You had that element of Canada versus the States. For people who don't remember this was this was the era in ninety four, the era of CFL American expansion. The American teams, including the Baltimore Stallions as they became, they didn't have any import ratio. They all and a completely American roster. Don Matthews was the head coach and the lines end up beating the Baltimore Stallions. In that you mentioned Louis pasagliacond last well last play field goal to win that game. The place was packed and if people remember this, If you don't remember, here's a lesson for you. Louis had is the field goal not that long before. Rare miss for the great Louis pasaglia and he ends up making amends later in the game. That is definitely up there. Twenty eleven, the Lions won the Gray Cup against the Bombers in the Wally Buano aer Travis lul leading the way, Buck Pierce was playing for the Bombers. Yeah, and let's also not forget what happened during the Olympics, not necessarily a sporting event, but the Olympic opening and closing ceremonies. Of course, infamously the arm knot raising in that structure during the opening ceremonies, so they had fun with that in the closing ceremonies. So that was a big deal, but not really a sporting event. And let's not forget this isn't the first time a World Cup has been held. No BC plays twenty fifteen Women's World Cup Final USA over Japan. I want to say the score was five to two. And you were saying that, you think in second place, the twenty fourteen Heritage Classic, the Canucks losing to the Autumnt Center, You thought that was a contender for the greatest sporting event in BC Place history. The fakee story, the fake snow La Wongo on the bench, you love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Turts right, NHL Draft which you covered U at BC Place nineteen nine. Deal, Yeah, that was a big deal. The second one for me is you two Joshua Tree nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: That's not a sporting event, I know, but for me, so you two is a band, right.
Speaker 1: The eighty seven I was there on the floor Joshua Tree. Great concert.
Speaker 3: Great but again not a sporting I know, but just for me and if you want to go obscure here and I went to a few games, mostly because as a member of the media, I got free tickets. The World Basketball League is that the World Basketball The Vancouver Nighthawks one season at a reconfigure. I remember the BC Place. It was six or five and under that league, their star was jose Slaughter and I had a T shirt, a Vanker for Nighthawks t shirt. I don't know what I did with it. It was a great collect here's itam. Even the Voodoo lasted long ago, the Vancouver Nighthawks. Those basketball games played at BC Place, eighty three Gray Cup. Two Lions lost that to the to the Oregos. That was a big deal. That was a tough loss. Don Matthews on the other side with the Lions. Yes, yeah, okay, here's what's coming up on the show. We got to get moving here because we have Thomas Drantz and Manny Malultra in the next segment, dtmz is it just me? Coming up in the eleven o'clock hour Just after eleven o'clock the NHL Draft next Friday, June twenty sixth Liam and Marcus ruck Quinn, brothers from the Medicine Hat Tigers. Born and raised in a Sawyers. They're going to join us just after eleven. Expected to go late first round, early second round at the NHL Draft. They're going to join us. Big ride the Quitter Guy. Later this hour, we mentioned Thomas Drantz joining us in our third segment, and up next head coach, twenty third head coach in Vancouver Canucks history, joining us for the first time as the Canucks. Vancouver Canucks head coach Manuelhultra, thanks so much for tuning in, Folks, Donnie and Dolly the team on check. Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 5: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 1: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 3: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot Ca dot sales at ab LA auctions dot Ca. Thursday and all today's guests, including Many Mahultra, head coach of the Canucks, brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian, celebrating anniversary seventy five sees currently on the road down in Spokane. They returned to the NAT on Tuesday, June thirtieth for another seventy five cent hot dog Night. For tickets and info, visit MiLB dot com slash Vancouver. Manny Mahultra, twenty third head coach in Knucks history. He was introduced as the twenty third head coach in Knucks history back on June fourth, and he joins us now, Manny, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm good, guys, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: No no problem. I was looking at your Hockey dB page moments ago. Thirteen head coaches in sixteen seasons, including five in your first six years. Muckler, Torts, Hitchcock twice, Dave Tippett, McLain, Glen McClellan. Av who influenced you the most as a coach, There's.
Speaker 6: A mix there.
Speaker 7: I think having played for Ken Hitchcock, he was an incredible hockey mind, especially the fact that knowing he didn't play at a very high level, so his hockey acumen and his the way he saw the game was incredible and it really opened my eyes to the game.
Speaker 6: Taught me a lot.
Speaker 7: And then playing for Todd in Todd McClelland and San Jose kind of put it all together for me in terms of his ability to teach you the system and his communication. I just found that there was never any gray areas with him, and I realized how important the two were. It's it's great that you have a plan and you know what you want to do, but if you can't communicate that plan, then it's all for not. So I think those two are the two guys that I kind of lean towards when when I talk about who influenced my coaching career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe more on Ken Hitchcock. Man it because I think we underestimated him. What exactly was it that made him special? You touched on it there, well, he he.
Speaker 7: It's one thing to have played the game and you can feel certain situations, you know what players perhaps are going through. But for him, never having played and to still have that level of recognition and knowing what is needed in a certain play, and more so with him, it was he didn't care about anything but the win, and it was interesting to live that. And he said something really interesting to me. He took from Pat summit. I believe it was said, I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear. I'm going to tell you what you need to hear. And a light bulb went off for me when I heard that, and just everything kind of started to come together for me at that point when you when you saw the way he thought the game, and it was it was just about what the team needed. How are we going to get the next win? What do we need to do? What do I need out of you? Really direct with his messaging.
Speaker 1: Hey, Manny, how's the search going for assistant co coaches? Are you looking for experienced guys, young guys? How's that shirt going?
Speaker 7: It's going so having a number of candidates having gone through the process already, video meetings. I'm looking for a balance of both guys with experience, guys who are up and coming and ready and hungry. But I think the biggest thing goes back to what I was just saying. The ability to communicate and teach what we want to do.
Speaker 6: Is going to be There's gonna be a real premium on that.
Speaker 1: All right, Absford meets a coach as well. You were down there developing guys. What kind of guy. I'm sure you're going to have a say in it too, but what kind of guy would you like to see in Absford?
Speaker 7: That many Again, it goes along the same lines understanding how difficult the American Hockey League is. Obviously, you need somebody that is willing and able to think on their toes. We had many time in the last couple of years where you know, my lineup was set, I was ready to go and I got a call from RJ and he said, your number one center's gone and I'm taking your number one d I. Oh, by the way, the goalie is coming up as well.
Speaker 6: And you got to pivot.
Speaker 7: And so it's somebody that that's going to be able to be able to think on their feet.
Speaker 6: But again, that message of.
Speaker 7: Delivering the message, teaching the message, and the biggest thing for me that I learned down there was was managing personalities and managing the people and the players that are there.
Speaker 1: Your captain in Abosburg got a new contract yesterday, Chase Waters, great guy. What qualities do you look forward to captain? And when you find one at the NHL.
Speaker 7: Level, Well, Wady really exemplifies what it means to be a leader.
Speaker 6: For me.
Speaker 7: When I was asked this question in the presser, Watty was not our best player, but he was the guy that exemplified what we needed. We needed a shop block, He's going to do it. We needed to hit, He's going to do it. He needs to step up and stand up for a teammate, He's going to do it. We need guys getting in the net. He's going to go do it. So whatever was asked of him, he was willing to do. And even more so before was asked of him, he was the guy initiating, you know, the type of things that we want our team to do and be tenacious and be hard to play against. And that selflessness that he displayed is I think a large reason as to why he was able to sign an NHL contract.
Speaker 3: Talk with Manny Malhultra, Manny, you've talked about how you want the Canucks to play with pace high energy? Is pace more about speed or about smart crisp puck movement? Nothing my old coach used to say, nothing moves faster than the puck out there. Or is it a combination of both.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's definitely a combination of both for me. Obviously, you need to be able to move your boots and skate up the ice and get back with speed, but the execution of passing and making sure everything's sharp and guys know where the next play is going to go. So once again it comes back to the understanding of the system. When everybody knows where the next play is going, then the anticipation can happen. Now you can anticipate a play and you can be one step ahead, and that's where the speed is going to come from. The connectivity of our group breaking pucks out. Everybody knows where they need to be, where the next play is going, allowing us to get numbers to areas quicker Mannie.
Speaker 3: There's a video of you online. I believe it was back in twenty eighteen at camp and you're on the bench as an assistant coach with the Vancouver Canucks, marveling at a shootout move that Elias Petterson made. He was a rookie wearing number forty one. How does Elias, how do you get him back to being that fabulous young player we saw all those years ago.
Speaker 7: Well, there's no one distinct answer that I can give you. I can tell you that my main goal with with all of our players is to get the best out of them and to help them reach their potential.
Speaker 6: And for me.
Speaker 7: If you go back to that clip and you go back to that time, there was such a joy that he was playing with He enjoyed playing hockey. And this is this is from an outsider looking in. Obviously I haven't been on the bench with him in a while, haven't been in the locker room with him in a while. But for me, getting him back to that level is about helping him find the joy in the game and playing free and having fun with his teammates and being engaged.
Speaker 1: Hey, Manny, there's a guy I want to ask you about, Jonathan Lacarramaki. You had him in avisburd He comes up to Vancouver. You know, it starts out in the top six, fourth line. Two days later, then back to what has he got to do to become an NHL regular in your eyes.
Speaker 7: Well, for me, the main things that we're focused on in Abbotsford in terms of what I would call transferable skills whether you're at the American League level the NHL level, is your ability to win puck battles, your ability to win and gain body position on people, and just learning how to play heavy. Obviously, when you when you watch Jonathan play extremely skilled a lethal shot, he puts himself in good scoring positions. The thing that he needs to work on, and the thing that we discussed in Abbitsford is his ability to get pucks off of a wall or come up with puck in a puck battle. And obviously he's not six four two and twenty pounds, so those are learned.
Speaker 6: Behaviors of how heavy you have to.
Speaker 7: Be on your stick, and how to engage guys and how to get through hands, and those are the type of skills that for him, once he once he masters and once he gets really good at, will give him that opportunity to be an everyday guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, in about a week, you're gonna be a proud dad. Caleb's gonna go high in the NHL draft. The scouts that I talked to love him on the ice, but just as much off the ice.
Speaker 3: Character through the roof.
Speaker 1: Talk a little bit about his journey and up to next week when he gets drafted.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, excuse me, looking at it through the lenses of a proud father, having gone through this journey myself, knowing what it takes for me, watching his evolution of really liking hockey, putting in the work, to then understanding how much more work is needed and applying himself, and his willingness to be all in his training, in his commitment to his craft, and really having that pro mindset. That's for me, what makes me the most proud is that.
Speaker 6: His work is being rewarded.
Speaker 7: And he is now recognizing that, you know, if you want to attain your goals, it takes what it takes. And he's excuse me, he's been willing to do those things over the last few years.
Speaker 6: Excuse me. So going into next.
Speaker 7: Week, No, obviously a lot of the prospects play that game in their head.
Speaker 6: What if I go here, what if I go there? What if I go there.
Speaker 7: That's part of the fun of the draft experience. But it's fun to watch him go through that and live these experiences and have the interviews with all the different teams and the combine and all those things. It's a pretty special moment in a young player's career. So yeah, we're really proud of the work that he's put in.
Speaker 3: But the Conductions would be the only team that asked him the question, what would it be like playing for your dad? Do you foresee any issues if Caleb ends up being drafted by the vankor of a caduction between you and him? You coach, He told us you coached him in minor hockey. He enjoyed that experience, but what about at the pro level?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I fully understand the pros and cons of the situation. As I said in the presser.
Speaker 6: I don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole.
Speaker 7: It's obviously such a big if. But he's answered the question. I've answered the question. As I was talking about before his mindset evolving to that of a pro. It wouldn't be you know, we show up to the rink and hey, Dad, where am I playing? It's you know, he understands there's the separation that when we arrive at the arena, I'm a coach, he's a player. And then when we leave the rink, that relationship change and there's no more hockey. So yeah, it's a big what if, not something that I really have talked too much about, But there's definitely a professional and that would go along with it.
Speaker 3: Were you just a crazy minor hockey parent, what kind of any.
Speaker 7: I had to I had to tone it down in the in the sense of there had to be a separation that when I left the rink, I couldn't talk to him about hockey anymore. But I have prided myself in never talking to any of his coaches regarding hockey, never talk to them about ice time or power plays or this that or the other thing. I've prided myself and just sitting in the stands watching all of my kids play hockey and enjoying that experience, And anytime the coaches would ask me for what I thought, that would be the only time I'd give my opinion.
Speaker 6: So I think I would.
Speaker 7: Like to think I I I stray from the crazy hockey dad norm.
Speaker 6: But you'd have to ask the other parents of the rink.
Speaker 3: I guess, Yeah, what kind of a minor hockey parent were you? You didn't complain to the coaches about your kids. Come on, we aye, yeah, both of us. Hey yeah, you look excited, Manny. Your body language you just exude excitement. Can you tell people just how confident you are, not just in yourself but the Sudines and Ryan Johnson and the job they're going to do with your hockey club.
Speaker 7: Well, I've said this over and over and it's something that I've believed in for a long time. It's not just what you're doing, it's who you're doing it with. And obviously I'm very grateful for the opportunity to be one of thirty two head coaches in the National Hockey League, but more so knowing that the people that I'm going into this with share the same beliefs, share the same vision, feel the same way about how you treat people. Then again, you just said the body language and energy is a huge part of that, and the Twins and RJ both exude that in the mindset of leading by example from top down. So yeah, I'm extremely excited for this opportunity, knowing that we have an opportunity to create an environment for players that will allow them to thrive and achieve their highest goals.
Speaker 3: This has been great, Manny. We can't thank you enough. Say hi to Craig McEwen and everybody in the Canucks front office. They love our show. So again, best of luck, my friend, have a great offseason and we'll talk to you again in the fall.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much, appreciate it, guys, take care.
Speaker 3: You bet Manny Mahultra the Canucks twenty third head coach. Boy. He looked relaxed, like he was having fun. Of course the games haven't started yet and started yet, but yeah, that was a fun interview.
Speaker 1: Yah. Clarity, he gives you clarity, don And you can't say that after you listen to him, there's anything but clarity in what he says.
Speaker 3: Okay, a break and then speaking of the Canucks. Up next, we'll talk to Thomas Grants about the many Mahultra entery. He's next from the Athletic usually on a Friday, we're gonna have Thomas on a Thursday this time around. As you probably figured it out, Thomas's next. Donnie Dolly the team on Jack looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside Ocean Front resort, where every stay feels like a vacation. You'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio. Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the oceanfront restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five ozero two four eight eight Triple three. Your Island adventure starts here Thursday, and all today's guests, including Thomas Drants and Many Malultra in our previous segment, we thank him again, brought to you by The Vancouver Canadian celebrating anniversary seventy five ce's on the Road and Spoke Cane. They returned to the net on Tuesday, June thirtieth for another seventy five cent hot Dog Night. For tickets and info, visit MiLB dot com slash Vancouver. In the wake of the Many Mahultra interview and interview now with Thomas Grantz of The Athletic. Thanks for doing this, Sir, day earlier than normal.
Speaker 8: How are you, gentlemen, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: I know you were watching maname Malhultra came across really well. I think you were watching many Malulter came across really well. Of course not of course, of course not. He came across really well in that interview. How do you think he's going to handle the spotlight day after day, game after game, practice after practice at the NHL level again that it was a good indication what we saw just now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think he's got a.
Speaker 9: He's sort of got an interesting combination of two factors that I think will play very well. The first is that he's got sort of a politician's level of message discipline. Right, anytime you guys steered the conversation to something thorny, you know, he brought it back to what he'd said in the presser, right. He didn't want to give a new quote. I didn't want to contradict anything he'd previously said. He was very disciplined about delivering the same message.
Speaker 8: So I think that's.
Speaker 9: Always, you know, to put on my former PR guy hat like that's something you love to see from a spokesperson of any capacity for an organization. Also, I'd add this, like, you know, the Peterson response that he had for you where you asked about the clip of him and Peterson yucking it up on the bench in Penticton when Petterson was a rookie, and he defaulted to something he'd previously said or previously touched on in his intro pressor. But you know, talked about sort of the idea that you need to find joy in the game again, right, And I thought too when you steered the conversation to Caleb Malhotra, and you know his focus on the work that his son put in and taking pride in that process as a dad, right, Like, as a dad, it's not about where his son's picked. It's about the fact that he found something to commit to, loved it, and made everything he was about about succeeding in that, right, Like, that's what you want to see for your kids. You know, you're not worried about the outcomes. You're worried that they're happy, and you're worried that they're adult and mature enough to be quality people. And that shows through in his answer. And I think in both answers, you get the sense of like a complete person, like a whole person, right, that that's sort of perspective. It's not necessarily about you know, the glitz and the glamour and the winds and losses and the you know, sort of associated successes that come with the pursuit.
Speaker 8: It's about the pursuit itself, right.
Speaker 9: It's not it's not can I get Petterson to bounce back, because that's a huge task. It's about can I get him to enjoy the game again?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 9: And and if we can, then the rest will take care of it itself.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 9: It's not about where my son's picked. It's not about whether I'm coaching him or not. It's not about whether he has a thousand points in his NHL career. Is the second coming of Sasha Barkup. It's about the fact that he's a complete person too, that he's grown up and learned how to commit to things right.
Speaker 8: And so I think you can see.
Speaker 9: That sort of like adult prioritization in a lot of Malhoacher's answers, and it's really refreshing.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think it's really appealing.
Speaker 9: I think it shows someone who's you know, very thoughtful about what really matters. And that's a good skill to have a good attribute to have, not just in a communicator, but in an actual organizational leader.
Speaker 3: You said you listened or watched our interview with Manny Mulhultra Really right?
Speaker 8: I crivet notes from it.
Speaker 3: Oh, beautifact. We appreciate that.
Speaker 8: We read unitated.
Speaker 3: We read your article today in the Athletic on Richard's please you had a conversation with their Richard Seeley new Caducks agm GM of the Abbotsford Canucks. For people who haven't read it, in shame on them. What stood out for you? Thomas?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean he's an interesting guy. Powell River, right, former Powell River paper king and in the BCHL. And he's had a long career and this is the first time that he's ever had in NHL portfolio, right, I mean, this is his twelve year in management, but three of the years we're in the ECCHL as a coach slash manager and then a lot of time eight years with the Ontario Rain in the AHL. Now look, in that sort of role, you're going to have input on the NHL team in the NHL organization. But now he's got, you know, a real NHL portfolio in this new job as a Canucks AGM and the GM in Abbotsford. It's clear that he's going to be focused on the player development side and on running Abbotsford. He's clearly got the skills and experience to do that. But yeah, I mean I thought his sort of diverse set of experiences, his open mindedness on using data and a value adading American leaguers, his firm belief in the primacy of player development as the engine of a successful organization, you know, and talking about being from this community, right, being from Powell River, being from you know, up by Nancys in London. I mean, I think there's a lot there in terms of him having that sort of understanding which Malhotra shares, which the twins share, and which Ryan Johnson's share, about what this team means, what its potential is in this or in this city, in this marketplace. And so yeah, I mean I thought there was a lot of meat on the bone there. I hope everyone heads over to the Athletic and checks it out. If you go to my Twitter feed, I've unlocked it so you can read it around the paywall.
Speaker 1: Lund is twenty two kilometers away from Paul River. Just so people, because Donnie and I you know, I lived in Power River, so I know Lund. I know where it is.
Speaker 3: That's great to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just wanted to clear that up. It was a good little drop. But do you think everybody knows where Lund is?
Speaker 3: Thomas?
Speaker 8: Well, that's the point, yeah, isn't it. Yeah, it's it's an insider drop for the people who.
Speaker 9: Know exit people who grab for the people who grab their sticky buns on the way to Savory bro Come on, so.
Speaker 1: I lived in Powell River. I know where Lund is. I've been there.
Speaker 8: It's twenty two mile kilometers away.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 9: There you go, okay, mad guy, No, it's more of an eye test guy when it comes to when it comes to city locale.
Speaker 3: There's a beautiful restaurant and you and your fancy numbers.
Speaker 1: Our radio boss took us out for lunch there.
Speaker 3: It's a great place. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh we had a contract, you know Donny Contra on radio.
Speaker 3: It was what you have? Wow, dude, it was nice to see lady.
Speaker 1: You think I remember what I had for lunch in London nineteen eighty or ninety.
Speaker 9: Come on, uh, you remember the kilometers away from No.
Speaker 1: I googled that, No I googled that. Okay, listen. Patrick Johnson said something interesting yesterday Thomas that the owner of the Canucks wants to reduce costs, get off contracts, he wants to spend less. It's making a lot of sense. They've got the cheapest front office. They probably not going to spend a ton of money the cap. You don't have to spend the cap in a rebuild. The rebuild is not about spending money. It's about draft and develop. So are you surprised that the owner is saying, hey, let's cut back a little here.
Speaker 9: Well, if it's a little, I mean, that's one thing. But you know what I would say is this, if at any point over the last decade, Rick the Canucks that had the discipline to tighten their belts for a single summer once, just once not signed Beagle and Roussell not be major players in free agency, right just once not sort of sign Louis Erickson or you know, blow your brains out with a ton of pieces or a ton of yeah assets going out for a rental and an Elias Lindholmer just once not signed Thatcher Demco and Connor Garland. In a desprit hail Mary appeal to keep Quinn Hughes, or you know, just once not trade for Aliba, Eckman Larson and let the Russell and Beagle mistakes and the Rickson mistake for that matter, expire. This franchise would be in so much better a place. Unfortunately, unfortunately, while the Canucks are rebuilding, this is a moment where if you look around the league, like, the Canucks have twenty million in cap space going into the summer, and that's about an average amount of space. Right, everyone has more than five million in space. Almost everyone has more than ten million, except the Colorado Avalanche and they'll shortly have that. And you know there's teams with forty million, fifty million. Meanwhile, there's no one restricted free agents that are worth spending all that cap space on.
Speaker 8: Right, So five years ago, seven years ago.
Speaker 9: Right when you looked at the Montreal Canadians, when you looked at you know, the Chicago Blackhawks with the mckayev and Dickinson acquisitions, when you looked at San Jose with you know, getting paid to take Jake Wollman, keeping cap space during a rebuild was just good business because you could use that cap space to get futures to accumulate futures. But now, like Montreal, Canadians an't going to pay an asset to get off Brendan Gallagher most likely, Right, most teams aren't going to have to part with assets to get off the players that they find undesirable for whatever reason. No one's paying you, So your cap space doesn't create value for you anymore. Right, So holding it during a rebuild, Rick, just because the game has changed in the marketplace has changed, is no longer sensible, right, It's no longer common sense. What you want is to use that cap space on more desirable assets, because your better way to create value is by taking on other teams bad contracts, right, and sort of sitting with those and getting paid to send them more useful players.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 9: So, you know what are you going to get if you trade a Drew O'Connor, right, Probably a third round pick or something. If you did it the summer, maybe a hope he can have a good season and you get a second to the trade deadline. The way to get a second and a third, though, would be to trade Drea O'Connor too. And I'm just pulling this out hypothetically. I'm not suggesting that this is a real possibility to Buffalo for Jordan Greenway. Jordan Greenway costs four million, Drew Connor costs. So the Canucks should be wading into free agency and the trade market and looking to use their cap space committing cash because cash is what people don't want to spend. Cash is now what's scarce in this marketplace. So I'm concerned a little bit to be totally honest with you about belt tightening in this moment in time, because we now exist in a market right where instead of it being bad team building to spend recklessly when the Canucks were spending recklessly, it's now bad team building to sit tight old cap space. That cap space does nothing for you. You need talent, You need good players. Like I'll tell you this for example, Pierre Lebron talking about the Canucks looking to tear things down right. The worst type of trade that the Canucks could make, whether it's Elias Petterson, whether it's Jake Debress, whether it's brought Better, whether it's Marcus Betters, the worst type of trade that the Canucks could make would be a deal in which they, like they did with Guard and especially send them out the door and only get like a third round pick back or a fourth round pick back. Right, what you want to see is them trade a Brock Besser type two, again totally hypothetical, the New York Islanders for Pierre Ngvall and Scott Mayfield, and now all of a sudden, acquiring Besser is only a one and a half million dollars cap liability for the Islanders, and now they'll pay for the privilege. And then you get those future assets, because those future assets are everything. Those are going to be the fuel of what builds the next great Canucks team. So for me, it's it's not like a matter of business sense. It's not a matter of anything else. It's it's simply a matter of how, what and how should you invest in expediting this rebuild so that you get back to the business of having a waiting list for season tickets and playing fun, competitive playoff hockey and not paying players in the playoffs while you go on long runs year after year. Like it's about making money, it's about, you know, making this franchise an aspirational vehicle in a marketplace that absolutely loves this team and will spend you know, through the nose on it. If it's worth spending on. So the best way to do that. Unfortunately, this summer, with the changing dynamics like this is the way to think about it. Rick Cash is the new cap space. So if the Canucks are not spending into this skid, they're going to put themselves behind the eight ball and they're going to prolong how long it takes before they're delivering competitive hockey again to this marketplace. Period like that, There's nothing else to it. That's just how this is about to go down.
Speaker 3: This is the widest shot we've had of you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, have you you get to see my many leatherbound books?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Have you read all those? Or are they just for show?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 9: Some of them are like old university books. Some of them are my wife's like self help books. I've got my sports books up there. I've read all those. Yeah, I've got my I've got my novels that I actually like right here. So I've read all those. But then like some over here, I definitely haven't read. There's some of them. Some of those are like those like you know those like really like murder mysteries for the beach, for my wife.
Speaker 8: I haven't really read those.
Speaker 3: All, right, considering who she's married to. Your wife needs those self help books. Oh, no question next week, Thomas, thanks for this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Tasting Men for Dummies is right over there. Perfect sure sholemen.
Speaker 3: Thomas drants the athletic watling dog pole question. We've got two seconds here, Let's let's hit it. It's the wattling dog poll question. Let me get my read here experienced one of Victoria's iconic destinations, Catch the World Cup with the dog with Canada games including today against Guitar three o'clock shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs full sound. Come sit instead to dog today, Rick right, get.
Speaker 1: Her up the watling dog pop pole question, and it is is Canada and Qatar three o'clock today, the biggest sports event in BC Place history. Fifty three percent yes, forty seven percent say no. It is close.
Speaker 3: A lot of people in the bay side inbox mentioning what we talked about the first segment that ninety four Great Cup BC versus Baltimore with the Lions winning on the last second field goal by Louis all right, a break pullition business. Later on they rise next Tony Dolly, the team.
Speaker 1: On check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry, Their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, Waldwall TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go stuck up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination come sit and day, a.
Speaker 3: Reminder of the rut Twins Marcus and Liam, a top of the hour, possible future cars they could be working with. One of our guests from earlier in the day, Man the First Big Ryan, the Twitter guy.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we've had a loaded show, very very busy. So one thing we haven't talked about today is the NHL has announced its ruling on the future of Mike Babcock in the National Hockey League. They've completed that investigation that they were apparently asked to do.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 10: This is a tweet from a br open Ice summarizing the situation that they have completed their investigation. NHL has and will not restrict his employment in the league. He's allowed to be hired by any team, with Edmonton being the rumored destination. And I've got another tweet here from Ryan Orshag, reporter Edmonton reporter out of TSN. He's making it sound like it's basically a done deal. Sounds like final details on a contractor being nailed down, but bearing a last minute rush. Wouldn't expect a press conference Edmonton until early next week for Babcock. So wow, I don't know. Good good luck to you guys. Don't want to playoff rounds in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 10: If you look at his resume as it's it would you would call it a success. But the desperation here, he hasn't coached in seven years, that's my thing. I just don't what he's getting from the Oilers that they're desperate. Yeah, but there's other ways to go. There's gotta be a better situation. They are, they are desperate.
Speaker 3: You would take poscast on Connor McDavid's time with the Evans and audience. I find it hard to believe they're not hiring Cassidy. I don't understand Vegas is getting in the way or they not get they did for every team except Toronto apparently. But yeah, the Oilers are desperate, but there's got to be something better McDavid.
Speaker 10: Maybe right, there's got to be something better, And let's be honest, let's be honest. I think that they are woodcraft. Well, they probably should have just ran it back with Nablo, but then they were forced not to because of the way it got out with Cassidy. You had to fire him, basically, that's.
Speaker 3: True, and alsold the veiled negative comments towards him by their top players during the season. Yeah, so there was that.
Speaker 10: I just I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: I Also, people are ripping into them for being desperate.
Speaker 1: They are, but the other thing that for them to win.
Speaker 10: Yeah, okay. But the other thing that bugs me is we're hearing all about the leadership group signed off. The leadership signed off? How did that work when you hired Connor's junior coach and you brought in his agent as his president of hockey ops or whatever. How's that going.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going in another direction there, because, uh, you know, everything you hear Mike Commoner is his biggest critic, and a paraphrasing here is that he tweets the superstars great. He picks on the little guys, right, you know, the third and fourth line, bottomils, six and seven defensemen, and even even reportedly the staff.
Speaker 10: But that's not entirely true because look how he treated Marner, and Marner was in a bottom six piece in Toronto.
Speaker 3: He was young, That's right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I guess that'soky And then.
Speaker 3: That people will say, well, what don what about Mike Madano, But that was at the end of his career with Detroit. Yeah, I just benched him when he was reaching a landmark total of the games played.
Speaker 10: I just really worry that you're completely dictating your franchise.
Speaker 3: How did that go? Here in Vancouver?
Speaker 10: When you dictated your franchise around one player?
Speaker 1: How'd that go?
Speaker 10: How'd that go? You had to fire the head coach. You're talking about trading a lot of the I'm talking about quin Eyes talking about trading a lot of his buddies that signed extensions to keep him around here.
Speaker 3: It went awful. It was horrible.
Speaker 10: And you're gonna do the same.
Speaker 3: Thing desperate too, the Cannucks for desperate.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and look at how did it play out? You know, I just I don't know if it's if it was Connor's idea to bring in Mike Babcoll.
Speaker 3: Did you bring in if it's not if it's not bad, honestly, anybody else and it's not kno block anybody else.
Speaker 10: I tried if I tried it for David Carr, nobody else, I try and go completely.
Speaker 3: They may have for me. I did they try to go for Roan NuGen Hopkins had has had ten eleven, twelve coaches. I know, are you clicking in that they keep hiring coaches and firing them like a year and.
Speaker 1: A half two years, so, so make the right call now, Okay?
Speaker 10: And you just said it, Rick w seventy.
Speaker 1: They've been to the Stanley Cup finals and back to back years. They got to be doing something right. Yeah, you'd hire and they fired the coach that took him to.
Speaker 3: Wy and you'd hired David Carl who's in his thirties, untested at the professional level big time over Mike Babcock. Yeah. Right, And then you can play. I won win the Cup.
Speaker 10: I would again Babcock seven years no coaching in the league, twenty thirteen, last playoff appearance.
Speaker 3: And a shady resumes shady.
Speaker 10: But even if you want to put that stuff aside, because I heard I think it was Kipper and Bourne talking moved by.
Speaker 3: A desperate team. I'm not surprised by it, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 10: I think I heard Kiperen Bourne talk about this. He's done some scongey things, right, the phone, like you know, you and friends, physical abuse that's something else with the France and abuse, right, but but the phone, that's not You're not breaking a law. It's weird, it's stupid. It's weird. You're not breaking a law, so you can get back in. Sure, it's a different level than maybe some other guys. I just don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 10: There's just other avenues to go, and I like you just play my eas I understand the time is short on Connor, but don't waste it either.
Speaker 3: What what? What about? I mean? I might find this hard to believe a lot of people would him having learned a lesson and changing his act. Okay, I have He's you've heard him talk He's got to be smart enough to have done that, the invasion of privacy and Columbus.
Speaker 10: But that's the thing, Donnie, he said that going into the Columbus job, I've done, I've learned, I've done programs, bah bah blah.
Speaker 3: And what do you do?
Speaker 10: You're asking for guys camera their phones and their camera rolls.
Speaker 1: Every coach plays mind games. They all do. It is gog minor hockey, going to junior. It's everywhere, Ryan, I mean it's not.
Speaker 3: But I think that they want a coach who's different from no block and this, this is the history of hockey is full of stories like this. They want they don't want a player's coach McDavid and dry. They want somebody to push them. Okay, you know it's okay to be a hard ass versus a player's coach. The after approach, What about Torts not a bad suggestion, like if if this is what I got? The feeling Torts was just kind of there with Vegas, yeah, because he kept saying over and over look at I'm basically just steering it when I need to steer it. Isn't that restraction I think with with Vegas.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm just saying, if you want that short term squeeze the lemons super hard thing, that's torts. In my opinion, I take him over.
Speaker 3: Babcock would hire if he was in Vonton, if he was from charge of Edmonton.
Speaker 10: Hitch Can just glowing about big time, big time. If you missed that. By the way, the many interviews on our YouTube page now you can check it out. You can check out the full interview there. Durrants will be up soon. Up next, the Ruck Brothers from Asoyus, British Columbia. One of the most beautiful places in the planet has to be okay, Captain obvious, that's fine, yes, but people that haven't been there, maybe you don't know.
Speaker 3: Earlier today, stop the breaks. You said that Cobbs has good bread.
Speaker 10: I did say that, Liam and Marcus Ruck on the program. Next, it's Donnie d the team on Check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnia Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot CA. Okay, this is going to be one of the most difficult interviews we've ever done. The Rock Twins stands by. It is Thursday, and all of our guests today brought to you by the Bank of a Canadian celebrating anniversary. Seventy five caes are currently on the road Insipocan. They return to the NAT Tuesday, June thirtieth for another seventy five cent hot dog Night. For tickets and info, visit MLB dot com Slash Vancouver. Liam and Marcus Ruck are going to join US now Medicine Hat Tigers forwards one to two in WHL points this season. Marcus is the center, Liam is I hope I'm getting this stuff right. Liam is a right winger. They're both from a Sailers expected to go high in the National Hockey League Draft come next weekend. Starting Friday, June twenty sixth, Liam and Marcus join US now, guys, Thanks for doing this.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 11: We're good?
Speaker 3: How are we see you? Guys are laughing because you know we're confused right now, So for people for people who are wondering, and again, I hope I got this right. Liam, you're in purple screen line aft and Marcus you're in a gray T shirt screen right. We got that right, correct. Have you guys ever not played on the same team together.
Speaker 12: No, we've We've done like caps and things like that apart, but we've been together pretty much stole away.
Speaker 3: So your dad was a junior hockey player. I believe he played. Derek played for a Left Bridge how how how old were you when you first hit the ice and did you both love the game right away?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 11: We were probably two or three.
Speaker 12: I don't remember the exact age, but we both fell in love right when we touched the ice.
Speaker 11: We uh, there's never any hesitations of not wanting.
Speaker 1: To go out there.
Speaker 12: We we love going to the rink and double skating. Yeah, we fell in love with with the rink right away.
Speaker 3: Where did you play your minor hockey?
Speaker 12: Uh? Yeah, we grew up playing. It was called South Okanagan flint Our Hockey. It's kind of Oas wasn't really big enough to have like a rap team, so it was Osuas Oliver a couple of other small towns in the area. We kind of joined together and made a team and played against teams like Penticton and Kelowna.
Speaker 11: So that was it was super fun playing for South Oklado.
Speaker 3: Orange uniform South Okinaga Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 11: This is this is the morning orange yellow in the logo.
Speaker 3: No, because I know because I coached the Poor Moody team and you guys beat us in a tournament. Oh oh, but we will carry on with this interview.
Speaker 1: Rick, Okay, guys, you know there's a couple of famous twins in Vancouver called the Citine Twins. I heard you guys used to wear shirts or something the twins. What do you know about them and what do they mean to you?
Speaker 12: Yeah, we used to have shirts with them. We'd wear them around the house, playing Mini stix and stuff. Yeah, watching them when we were young, it was it was really cool seeing set of twins that high the level playing in the NHL, It was it.
Speaker 11: Was really cool. So yeah, we we we love watching them and even to this day we love watching their highlights.
Speaker 1: All right, couple of BC boys, it would be great if the Canucks havef did both of you you had interviews with the Canucks at the combine? How combined? How did those interviews with Vancouver go?
Speaker 11: Yeah, they're pretty good.
Speaker 12: Honestly, all those teams in the combine, they don't they don't give a whole lot.
Speaker 11: Up about their thought process. But yeah, they were they were good.
Speaker 12: It was a conversation and no two no questions that were too tough, so that that was always good. And yeah, it was good and it was pretty cool to talk to that team.
Speaker 1: Is the goal Liam and Marcus to be drafted by the same team in the NHL?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's that's the hope for sure. We want to get drafts together. That'd be pretty pretty cool and pretty special. I think that's the obvious answer. I think any set of brothers that would would be going through the draft would say the same thing. To be able to play with your brother, it would be pretty pretty cool, especially.
Speaker 11: At the highest level. But yeah, well we both know that it's it'll be tough for a team to pull that off, but we definitely do hope that could happen.
Speaker 1: Hey, Willie Desjardan had the twins here. Yeah, you guys, did Willy have a tough time separating you?
Speaker 6: That?
Speaker 1: Was there any issues?
Speaker 12: Yeah? He I think it was actually in Brandon. He brought us into the coach's office.
Speaker 11: We didn't know what was going on, And yeah, he took a picture of us so he could kind of study it on the drive back.
Speaker 12: So's that's a good story about him trying to tell us apart. And yeah, he's obviously coached the city and so he's he's told us some good stories about them and how competitive they were with each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and speaking of playing in medicine, hat, what was it like having Gavin McKenna as a teammate.
Speaker 12: Guys, Yeah, it was unbelievable for Lamb and I as sixteen year olds. We didn't see a ton of ice, but it was. It was kind of the best sixteen year old year you could ask for. You. We were part of such a good team on and off the ice. We learned a lot and I think that helped us a lot going into this season. But talking about Gav, he was unbelievable. He's a really good person and I think everyone knows what he could do on the ice, but off the ice, he's a great leader. He he did a lot for our team. He never put himself above the team, and yeah, I think that was a big the reason why we did so well that year.
Speaker 3: So here's another way that you're similar to the Sedines. Liam. Looking at the stats, forty five goals for you, Marcus eighty seven assists, much like Daniel and Hendrick. Any particular reason why you're the shooter Liam and you're the pastor Marcus.
Speaker 12: It's just kind of how it's worked out. Honestly, I don't think we try to be one or the other.
Speaker 11: It's I don't know.
Speaker 12: We just played to our strengths and usually he's the one making the play and I'm finishing. But I think we can both do both sides of it. But it's just us playing to our strengths and c works out.
Speaker 3: Are you up to the challenge of the very real possibility of not being drafted by the same team.
Speaker 12: Yeah, for sure. Like I said, we hope to get drafted together. That'd be pretty specful. But if it doesn't happen, we'd adjust and both of us would be at our best for whatever team takes us. And to be honest, I think it would be a little bit harder off the ice than on the ice for us. If one of us is playing with any smart player, it'd come to the same out there, but off the ice we'd miscmpeting with each other and battling with each other every day, and that PROBA would be a little bit harder, but I'm sure we'd be great with wherever we end up.
Speaker 3: Okay, so next season, I'm sure there are NCAA opportunities for you. You'd love to play in the National Hockey League, but realistically, is it back to medicine at next season?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think for us there's no rush.
Speaker 12: There were some colleges that did want us to come in and play this year, but we're underdeveloped guys that we got time, and I think we know that, and we felt it was the mature decision to kind of take you another year and play in junior hockey and play in a lot of different roles and then hopefully be ready for the jump to college the following year and see where it takes us from there.
Speaker 3: What was it like growing up in a Soy shouldn't you guys be pro golfers and not pro hockey players?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 12: The golfers are like wake servers or something. It's a great it's a great summer spot. We we love growing up here.
Speaker 11: It's uh, that's a small town and you kind of know everyone.
Speaker 12: And we were both so lucky Basically all of our family lives here, so that was a bonus for us. If mom and dad were ever busy, grandparents or aunts and uncles would always be driving us places, helping us out with whatever we needed.
Speaker 11: So that part was really nice.
Speaker 12: But even the whole community, if you walk downtown now, people will be saying congrats on everything.
Speaker 11: It's it's really special.
Speaker 12: I don't think you get that in a lot of places, so for us, so it's it's been really special growing up here.
Speaker 1: Hey, medicine that was good this year. You guys posted big numbers. I can't wait to see what you do next year. But if you get the right pieces, you think Medicine Hack can win it next year.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we believe so.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 11: I think the people we got in that room and and the.
Speaker 12: Organization, all all the staff, it's just a bunch of good people and that's what you want to be around, Like ninety guys that just want to improve and ways to get better.
Speaker 11: And I think that's what we got.
Speaker 12: And obviously we've got a couple holes to fill, but we got a lot of good pieces coming.
Speaker 8: Back for sure.
Speaker 3: All Right, guys, Matthis Preston, by the way, says Hi, I knew you grew up playing hockey with him. He was on our show earlier this week. And by the way, Fairview Mountain just down the road in Oliver, there's about four hundred balls that my partner Rick has lost there, So if you want to go searching in the bushes. Hey, this has been just outstanding. I love the way you're alternated to your answers. It was just perfect. Guys, all the best in the future. Thanks so much for doing this.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we appreciate you guys doing it for us. It's awesome. Yeah, lots of fun. Thank guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks Liam and Marcus.
Speaker 1: Rick.
Speaker 3: Did you see that the way the alternated answers, it was just a perfect We were so worried about that interview, first of all, not being able to tell them apart, and whether or not they'd stumble back and forth, not knowing who was going to answer. But they were again, way smarter and way more confident than we were at that age. That's that's for sure. So the Canucks pick twenty fourth, yes, thirty, obviously they pick a third. They're not going to be picking their rucks there, one of the rucks there, But twenty fourth and thirty third, Washington picks sixteenth and eighteenth. There's a possibility. But look at Calgary. Calgary has the sixth overall pick, also thirtyth thirty, fifth, thirty, sixth and fifty one. Craig Button has Liam at number ten, Marcus at number sixteen. Jason Bucla, who is on our show What Was It Last Week? Has them at twenty and thirty Liam and Marcus respectively Hockey News twenty one and thirty one. So you look at those three teams, something else could happen. There could be a trade made, and of course they could end up somewhere. But you look at the Canucks, Washington and Calgary, there's three decent possibilities there of them being drafted by the same team, much like the Sedines back in ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Every kid we've had on in this draft, the great kids, obviously great parents involved, just blown away by these two really, really good kids. And whoever drafts these guys, I think are going to be very happy.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna update the poll question next. Before we do that, a little bit of a business June twenty third, Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed communications contractor thirty truction vans including bucket trucks, bucket vans, service vans and other Plus over another is plus over one hundred commercial grade lenders and wire inventory. That's June twenty third. For info on this communication, contractor close your auction good to Able Auctions dot ca A, b l E Auctions dot c A. We mentioned an update of the Waddling Dog poll question. We'll also talk about the Vancouver Golden Eyes and about the Well the event that's happening at BC Place in a matter of a few hours. Canada versus Katar that's next Donny Dolly the team on check. Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 5: The team is supported by Able Auctions dot ca A. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email Sales at able Auctions dot ca A. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 11: You was just named MVP.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt k K. Harvey's number one day, the best player in the world, go and calling it is the one and only Caroline Harvey court.
Speaker 12: Fallen draftment will mean everything, mean just whatever team.
Speaker 1: To be a part of, Just be so grateful and excited for the next chapter.
Speaker 13: The first overall pick in the twenty twenty six PWHL Draft, Vancouver Golden Eyes select from the University of Wisconsin defenseman.
Speaker 8: KK Harvey.
Speaker 3: In Detroit.
Speaker 4: KK Harvey becomes the first defender to ever go first overall in the PWHL draft.
Speaker 3: There you go, Caroline KK Harvey out of Wisconsin drafted first overall. Yesterday PWHL Draft was held in Detroit, first overall to the Vancouver Goldeneyes, three time NCAA champion. She's from New Hampshire. You were having some troubles with the Vancouver team drafting and American defenseman then. But she took part in the Milan Olympics and you heard somebody there say, you know, considered the best player in the world. Now she was still in college. But all you need to know Milan Olympics American gold She was the tournament MVP reck.
Speaker 1: This is the best female player in the world. And it's not even closed on her skating, which works with NHL players, and he said she is the best gater he's worked with. And this is going to be a treat for fans at the coliseum next year. She's going to be the face of the PWHL for years and years and years. Very excited that the Golden Eyes picked her and she's going to be in Vancouver. It's going to be unbelievable.
Speaker 3: They still have to hire themselves a coach, but in the meantime, Carolyn KK Harvey is joining the Vancouver a Golden Ice. Let's hit the Waddling Dog a poll question as we look ahead to the three o'clock start Qatar versus Canada. Favored Canada at BC Place experienced one of Dectroy's iconic destinations, The Wadling Dog in Victoria. Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada games including the one against Katar later this afternoon, shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Dog the Waddling Dog today.
Speaker 1: Rick all right, get her up the Waddling Dog. BUPO question is Canada versus Katar at three o'clock today, the biggest sport event in BC Place history. Fifty five percent yes, but forty no. A very close, close, close pole going to go down to the wire.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the other candidates, we've had people talk about the very first sporting event at PC Place, the eighty three White Caps defeating Seattle followed by a Beach Boys concert, the ninety four Gray Cup, a lot of people in the baseline inbound box mentioning that Lions over Baltimore, Canada versus the US, the twenty eleven Gray Cup, the Olympic Ceremonies, twenty fifteen Women's World Cup Final, twenty fourteen Heritage Classic. But a couple we haven't mentioned. Remember Major League Baseball preseason guests. I remember that being played at BC Place, and I'll always remember Edgar Martinez being injured. I don't mean to laugh, but lou Panella was some kind of upset Edgar Martinez being injured at BC Place. I think it was a game against the Milwaukee and the rugby sevens are a big, big deal is well, but I think so much of it because it is the World Cup falling behind what we're gonna see today in that important important match between Canada and Guitar. All right, Uh, you had some information about the Canucks. Let's start with somebody that we talked with about, uh, talked about with Manny Maholter. That's Lea's Petterson Rick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is Pederson trade talk. I just want to say, is real. It's not just that time of the year. Peterson's name comes up all the times. It is real right now, Donnie the Petterson. If the Canucks can offload that contract, they're gonna try and do it. They're gonna try and offloaded. Somebody told me this morning the Saint Louis is sniffing around Petterson.
Speaker 3: How many times have you said this?
Speaker 1: But what do you Blues?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 1: Someone told me Saint Louis is sniffing around Petterson. I'm looking into it to see if it's true. The way it's been told to me is if the Canucks think they have a deal for Peterson that makes sense for them, I am sure they will then take that deal to Peterson's asians, JP, Barry and Paperson to see if Peterson will wave.
Speaker 3: I don't mean that as a criticism of you. I'm just like like like what are the change eleven point six million dollars six years left? How underachieving? How do they.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you how they unload them. I mean, I tell you why. Teams are desperate at the center ice position. Teams think they can turn this guy Petterson into eighty point guy point per game is all he's got to do for some teams, then they'll be happy. Do the Canucks retain do the Now we're hearing through the grapevine the Canucks don't want a ton back. They don't want to take a.
Speaker 3: Bad They can't get a.
Speaker 1: Six seven million dollar contract back. They don't want that. They don't want that. Okay, yeah, they don't want They're trying to offload, offload, and and Patrick Johnson said of the province good guy said something interesting yesterday. Don The ownership wants to spend less. It explains everything. They're not spending money in management hires. They got a practice facility that might cost thirty million. They got to buy out one of the brothers that could cost two to one. Yet one of Aquiline brothers is going to be bought out soon. It's going to cost between two hundred and four hundred million dollars. So ownership wants to spend less. It makes a lot of sense and.
Speaker 3: You should have thought of that a long time ago when it comes to like rebuilding and you know, identifying up and comers management wise and coaching wise, doing the right thing.
Speaker 1: Now, there's no need for a huge payroll in a rebuild. On all you gotta do to get out of this mess this rebuild draft and develop, draft and develop properly, and you'll get out of it all. Rebuild teams reduce costs, it's it's revenue is going to be less on you know what the selling point for ownership was done on the rebuild, less on player salaries. Well, guess what they're trying to unload Pederson, debusque Besser and not take a ton back.
Speaker 3: Well, hold again, how long did that take for the light bulb to go off? Well, you know, spend spend spends on July.
Speaker 1: They didn't have to Garland. Uh, you know, they just did a whole That was Rutherford. That was that was Ruther for today's today.
Speaker 3: Trying to keep Quinn use But that's in the past. Looking ahead, Yeah, I just said it. It looks like they're on the right path man Manny Mahulter was impressed, impressive on our show, impressed in our second segment today. And then you hear the Sedines talk and and Ryan Jo and you're ripping into them for not spending much management and coaching. But no, I think they got the right.
Speaker 1: That doesn't mean they don't care, right guys, I don't care what they mean. Doesn't mean they didn't get the right guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, you've got some business.
Speaker 1: Absolutely look at this. Uh, the world is coming to Vancouver and Pastime Sports and games, as you covered when it comes to jerseys, scarves and other collectibles, celebrating the beautiful game. Never been a bigger time to show off your team colors. Led by Canada as a host country, you may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia, Africa. For more information and storre locations, visit Pastime Sports.
Speaker 3: Just before we get to the laptop, I gotta say this, looking at those jerseys from from pastime and watching the World Cup, and you guys were going on about Argentina's jewsy I was I loved it, and look, uh they're nice, very nice, but they've had better ones in the past when they didn't go with that gradient look on the striping. Canada's uniforms are very nice with the subtle mayle leaf they do. But boy, I tell you, the more I see them downtown, you see them in sports check, you see them on television. Mexico's greens and I said yesterday Norway They're reds are fabulous, a take on the Norwegian flag, but Mexico, Mexico's greens are just fabulous fabulous. Do you agree, Ryan laptop.
Speaker 10: I'm still going with Argentina front of the laptop. Far right there, that's the Canadian FIFA World Cup scarves. I've bunched it up. I haven't obviously unfolded it.
Speaker 3: They'll figure out. I thought that was infrilled. Thanks for that.
Speaker 10: Pop figuring featuring Maple the mis mascot for the Canadian portion of the World Cup and legend soccer legend on the left. Christine Sinclair is the card oh the day and by the way, for taking transit. You'll hear Christine on the skytrain.
Speaker 3: I've heard it all, heard her all week, all time leading scorer internationally men and women.
Speaker 1: I used to have taken tracks today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sixty five dollars sixty sixty three something parking whatever, it is ridiculous, it's too much. What a gig like honestly owning a parking lot? What are you doing sweeping it out once a year? And then they just charged once every twenty years. I have no choice. I had to go a little bit of security guy in a bike that you might see when you park your car. Right, Ryan, are you like? What's going on today? Another bad mood here? No, we got a break and DTMZ next mister perfect donnian dolly the team I check. Remember the dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 1: OPEIC is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful line.
Speaker 1: Old electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment capy fixed, it can be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit OPEIC dot ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly. That's Opeic dot CA.
Speaker 14: The BC Construction Safety Aligns is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the DCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safety Ontour dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's eleven thirty one on a Thursday morning, Donniadoli on check TV. No time for DTMZ brought to you by the world famous Swisster Golf Club. Go see the Big Al out there. A great track, great track.
Speaker 3: Not just Big Al, but the Big Al. DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Designs. The Golf Club or Phase three of their golf course renovation underway. The golf course will reopen for playing the summer of twenty twenty seven. For the latest updates on their renovation, follow them on Instagram at Wister Golf. Don't forget their pro shop and driving range are open during the summer. A little left turn here. We have so much to talk about today on Donnie and Dolly. A little left turn for DTMZ Sports versus Entertainment news. Well it's all all entertainment, but Canada versus Guitar at BC Place yesterday in case you missed our first segment, a Canadian coach, Jesse March made himself available to the media and he came up with this very positive news when it comes to the health of Captain of Fonsa Davies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been in training this week and he'll be available tomorrow and we'll see how the match goes and then make a decision on how we would choose to use him.
Speaker 3: So available, but it sounds like he won't start, No surprise there. Moys's bombido also expected to be available. Fond of Davies coming off the hamstring problem. Moyses's bombido a broken or fractured tibia orphibia broken a fractured leg.
Speaker 1: Broken broken agphibia is the leg. It's broken.
Speaker 3: There you go, okay, so and and we were going on earlier about how Canada has to win this game, which is which is obvious to say, and how they are favored. I guess some would say heavily favored. Keeping mind that Canada has never won a World Cup match in three tournaments that they've been involved in, and people taking I believe Qatar fairly lightly. Keep in mind Canada tied Bosnia and had to score late in order to do that. Bosnia in the FIFA ranking sixty third, Canada is thirtieth. Qatar is higher than Bosnia at forty nine. So like most things that in this World Cup, nothing's going to be easy. Ah. Also, if you're wondering about the makeup of fans and how many Katari fans are going to be there, and you think that the whole crowd will be a Canadian, that's not going to be the case. And we see examples of this. Boy, those Congo fans yesterday. It's just amazing seeing examples of this, you know, all throughout the World Cup. But the government in Qatar, it has flown one thousand fans over to North America for the World Cup. Their first game was in San Francisco, I believe, against the Swiss and they battled back to draw the heavily favored They were heavily favored Swiss one to one. But the government, imagine Canada doing that for the Canadian soccer team. They've flown one thousand fans at our hotel, accommodations, flights everywhere, other freebies that they're getting, So I would imagine at tickets they're going to be at BC Place today, so it'll be sold out, not just with Canadian fans. Oh you mentioned Ryan. We talked about it earlier the march to the match, which was very impressive in Toronto before the Bosnian game starting its science role? Is it at two clock?
Speaker 14: Is that right?
Speaker 10: One o'clock?
Speaker 1: One o'clock? Okay?
Speaker 10: It's actually officially is starting at a pub, Fion mccool's on Main Street. Uh, and that's actually starting right now.
Speaker 3: But the official happiest pub at Vancouver today.
Speaker 10: Fisher March, is happening around one o'clock.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what And by the way, if your minutes afternoon is going to be in Vancouver.
Speaker 10: If you are driving down to the match. Leave earlier than later because there's street closures every you.
Speaker 3: Can't get alone while you're at it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but you can't get near BC place on match days because of the street closer closures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lots of fun. Okay, birthdays all right? What is it today? The eighteenth? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hold on a second, eighteen June eighteenth. Absolutely, okay, Ryan, get her up. This birthday segment brought to you by Donny and Dolly's Backscratchers and Dental Flossopporium in ball Zach Alberta. This guy was the ninth overall pick of the Penguins in nineteen eighty four, second pick of Pittsburgh in that draft. You know who number one was? Mario Lemue.
Speaker 3: Doug Boger, Oh, proud of Shimanez. Come on, that's that's a game. Yeah, it's not a gamey. How did you know that? Okay? Well, I was working in Vancouver Sports at the time, and it was a big deal that a kid from an Hello, Doug, if you're watching out there, that a kid from BC was being selected by the same team that picked Mary olimufer.
Speaker 1: Him and Robin Bowa from Schaminez both of them.
Speaker 3: The little town that could here, a little.
Speaker 1: Town that produced two NHL guys Cheminez beautiful Murals, once underrated. I once had a beer with Doug Bodger at the Shark Club before a Canucks game many years ago. Anyways, great guy, great guy. This undrafted player would play in six NHL All Star Games. He would win the Lady Bing three times at age In twenty thirteen, at age thirty seven, he would lead the NHL in scoring. Member of the team that won the two thousand and four War Cup of Hockey Canada, two time Olympian gold at the twenty fourteen Winter Coming out of college, only the Ottawe Calgary showed interest. When you go to college that just never mind he went to college. I can't, I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't remember, said Vermont.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it was Vermont.
Speaker 3: The Flame signed him. Martine Sail Louis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it, that's it. How did you get that?
Speaker 14: You know what?
Speaker 3: Undrafted?
Speaker 1: Undrafted? One of the greatest undrafted players of all time, Martan Saint Louis. And we're not even talking about his size, just the fact he was undrafted and boom.
Speaker 3: First, he had a great game preseason game with Calgary here in Vancouver, and my brother came back and said, I just saw the next great National Hockey League player.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: And he got let go by the flames. I think was Craig Button.
Speaker 1: Craig Button was the GM at the time, and I'm sure people in Calgary remind Craig of that all the time.
Speaker 3: Every GM makes mistakes.
Speaker 1: You know that in Vancouver, every sports guy makes mistakes. Okay, This lady was ranked the world's number one lady tennis player. She was ranked number one one for a record three hundred and seventy seven weeks. You know how hard that is. Three hundred one seventy seven weeks number one. She won one hundred and seven singles titles, twenty two major women's singles titles. She's the only tennis player male or female to have won each major singles tournament at least four times, four times a kadruple career Grand Slam. Youngest player to appear in the main draw of a major at the nineteen eighty three French Open, age thirteen. Oh god, come on. I used to start tan and evertill no, it's not Martine. I used to watch her all the time in the eighties wimmled. Then oh, Steffi Graff, Nah, that's at Stephanie Graff. She's married too, Andreagas andre Agassy.
Speaker 3: She was also married to Brooks Shields at the that's right, and her and Boris Becker helped grow tennis in Germany.
Speaker 1: At Boris Becker was great too, Okay. This former Major leaguer played nineteen years in the big leagues, five time National League All Star, two time at OL Gold Glove winner, signed with the Expos in seventy nine. At the time, I'm the scouts thought the seventeen year old he was seventy a little too chubby over eight, but he beat that rap and would go on to the mayor. The scouts thought he was too heavy. In nineteen eighty eight, he had an MVP caliber season.
Speaker 3: Well you're weird ninety.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety eight with Montreal ninety two RBI, twenty nine homers. Slowed by injuries, the Expos had to trade him to Saint Louis in ninety one, then off to Colorado. He led the National League with a three seventy batting average. Marry Walker, No, No, No, No, first Venezuelan to win a batting title in the Major Venezuela. Oh, if I give you his nickname, you're gonna you're gonna scream.
Speaker 3: Andres Galeraga, Andres Galarraga, I remember him, Cat, the big Cat, the big Cat, I remember him with the Expos. Absolutely get a text there.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, I got a bunch of texts. But listen, the Big Cat Andres Gallerega and those Expos uniforms, the one that, oh, oh the best.
Speaker 3: You still see you still they see their hats all over town.
Speaker 1: Expos were the best uniforms.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see baseball come well. People talking about Vancouver getting a major league baseball team? How is that it?
Speaker 1: You're done?
Speaker 3: Paul McCartney. And by the way, is it just me is coming up? Paul McCartney eighty four years old? Wow, Ryan and I and yourself just huge fans of the Beatles of course, eighty four years old, Paul McCartney. What happened?
Speaker 1: And the time flies is what I mean?
Speaker 3: And he John George and Ringo Ryan, They're called the Beatles together are going to play us out November nineteen sixty eight in the white album This is the Beatles and back in the USSR. You got it here on check great albums, great opening tracks on a BC Thursday Morning. Is it just Me?
Speaker 1: It's next Fauac last night.
Speaker 3: On a way to paper Bags.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 3: Three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two five two three two today Is it just Me? Brought to you by O pe IC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and garden equipment for free? And you know, lawn and guard equipment getting a workout these days with the weather. I was in the garden last night. Yeah, you weren't doing anything, but he had a good time. I C operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit O p e i C dot CA to get more info. That's oh E E I see dot it's Is it just me?
Speaker 1: It's Rick all right, this is just me by Donnie and Dolly need to do a week of live shows for Vancouver Island waddling dogs, soup, potholes based side.
Speaker 3: Why why are you laughing? Right? Because we just talked about this.
Speaker 1: That's a whole lot of second But did you give David Cedar credit? No, we do now, okay, get Bodger BAuA and Greg Adams. Uh there was two Greg Adams, remember, yes, the one in Cootney's.
Speaker 3: And the one on the island. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I want to clarify that.
Speaker 3: And for the reason we said we're brought it up is because we don't want to give the bosses any ideas and that might say that sounds like hard work for Ron.
Speaker 1: We should go to London as well, just outside of Powell River.
Speaker 3: Beautiful place. I've been to London.
Speaker 1: It's a great place.
Speaker 3: We've got a lot of submissions regarding the name of that province, which and you, of all people should know.
Speaker 1: Oh, no comment, Dwight.
Speaker 10: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: But the Victoria Harborcats have a great expos tribute uniform. I'm not aware of that. Maybe we can dig that up one day. Those powder blue, the baby blue Expo uniforms.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, so nice. Oh Andre Dawson, Gary Carter. I could talk Expos all day long. They were the best. Edmonton's gonna have a lottery peat Rose, Oh Pete Rose.
Speaker 3: People forget that he played there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, he was great there before he went to Cincinnati. Edmonton will have a lot that was after since okay, after Philadelphia. Edmonton will have a lottery pick next to you. And this is going to be a disaster. Babcock. That's Todd in summer Land, beautiful summer Land.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have confidence in Babcock. If indeed that happens for people who aren't aware, weren't watching earlier Babcock investigation by the NHL. It's over and he's free to find employment in the National Oculu.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes he is.
Speaker 3: Is it just me? Yes? I would say Canada verus guitar is one of the biggest sporting events at BC plays. For myself, I was in ninety four twice. The obvious was the ninety four Great Cup. The other was the exhibition series between the Jays and Expos in April ninety four. Not knowingly we were watching the best team not to win the World Series with the August shutdown looming labor dispute. That's from down and Siicamoose. And he's right. Yes, those MLB preseason games when there was this thought maybe the MLB would come to Vancouver, they were pretty special. Although BC plays not a great venue, not a great venue for baseball in my opinion, the Minnesota Twins approved that that building, that the old Humphrey Metrodome whatever they called it was just like BC place. It didn't work. But Don's right, the Expos leading the best team in the National League when things were stopped in ninety four because of that labor despute.
Speaker 1: It was horrible. Bottom line. Maholter has so well spoken. It's such a breath of fresh air. Braiden in Absberg. So we heard maholt today on the show, so much clarity. He thinks before he talks the Vancouver fans after a game, well, there will be no gray area. He will tell you the way it is.
Speaker 3: Well, he was very impressive, and Nita's Thomas Needles to say, Thomas Grant's wonderfully impressive is always on our show. But what about the reut Twins. Oh, the kids. He said, look, look, we you especially take shots at young people these days, but they handle interviews so much better than we would have at that age, athletes of the past would have at that age. It was really really impressive. They were just full of energy and intelligence. That that was. I mean, I'm sure people watch them. We're getting a few comments like that in the bayside inbox. People watch that and thought to themselves, Hey, whatever the conducts could do, get those guys. They're impressive.
Speaker 1: John and Ladder. I love John and Ladder is a great guy. John and Lanner supposed that we live in a free, free market society. But they gouge you for sixty five bucks for parking. It's a BS capital letters from John and Ladder. I'm with you, John, just absolutely ridiculous. What they're charging in downtown Vancouver today.
Speaker 3: Horrible. Have some shamee you're trapped a lot of people don't have a I obviously know there's public I touchted you you took the train. I did, But it's like buying a coffee at the airport. They've they've got you there, They've got you trapped. They can charge what they want on signed Is it just me? The biggest event in BC Place history. Donnie would remember this, the nineteen ninety four Canucks second place parade actually a rally, Yes, you remember that? Yeah, course, And I mean other teams have done this. They've end up losing a championship series in whatever league. And you know, the run was so fabulous they culminated with some sort of rally in some facility. But Pat Quinn and company did have an event at the DC Place in ninety four after losing the ninety four Stanley Cup final. YEP, that was pretty special.
Speaker 1: Absolutely they did. Absolutely. Okay, we're getting the signal.
Speaker 3: Full Okay, we got the signal from Ryan, which means the next segment we're going to wrap up the show and the pole question. That's next, Donnie Dolling, the team, unt.
Speaker 1: Jack, Doc Pole, Rick, Ryan up Waddling, Doc Bupole question, and is Canada and Qatar three o'clock today the biggest sporting of me NBC Place history. Look at that fifty five percent say yes, but.
Speaker 3: Say no many people, uh fans of the ninety four Great Cup between the Lions in Baltimore, among other events.
Speaker 1: When BC Place opened White Cap Seattle, I was there, Little Ricky I thought that was the best.
Speaker 3: The importance of that game, that you're opening a stadium and we were like this, look at this a beautiful thing. People forget what a big deal that one.
Speaker 1: That was a big deal. BC plays.
Speaker 3: Okay, you've got some photos right where we're going.
Speaker 1: Overseas.
Speaker 10: You got the details on this. I think we were in Toronto first, Toronto.
Speaker 1: You got the details.
Speaker 3: You talk.
Speaker 1: This was sent to Donny.
Speaker 3: This is our friend, good guy, longtime producer of Dan Russell's show on cn W. He won on a sports that I worked with them for a long time at Sports then I did now a big shot at bet MGM, Scott Woodgate wearing a Donnie and Dolly hat in Toronto.
Speaker 1: A good pal of our Scott in Toronto, Scott Woodgate and you know what else, there's other two other guys in that building, Alistair at Kerns and He Woodward, all Donny and Dolly fans. All these guys at bet MGM. They love us, they love us, they love us. We're doing them a free plug here to help our shaw GM Gran, good guys, Alistair, Hugh and Scott. They're all big Donny and Dolly fans in Toronto.
Speaker 3: We got some other photos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got the photo.
Speaker 10: You got one more?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, hold on a sec here, two seconds. My daughter Michelle celebrated her remarkable performance. Michelle, Michelle, that's it, MICHAELA. Mikayla Sorry, Mikayla celebrated her remarkable performance completing the twenty twenty six Vancouver Marathon in May, donning her d and d bucket hat Robin Poco and what a great photo. Someday, Donnie, we'll do a marathon. Why are you shaking?
Speaker 3: Some people will say watching this show is like doing a marathon.
Speaker 1: I do the StairMaster and I'm going today. I'm trying to get to that level.
Speaker 3: Any other photos.
Speaker 1: Oh that's it.
Speaker 10: I just got a photo sent my Buddy's at Science World right now, and man, it is well.
Speaker 1: Show us.
Speaker 10: I can't because of the technical issues we're having right now. I can't prying. But it's packed. It is packed, So it's gonna be a hell of a scene down here. Oh some different because I mean you remember the Olympics, like it was Lola Land, amazing all that. It was February, you know, like this being in the summer.
Speaker 3: They different, different, different weather. But for any of us and you guys were anti World Cup, but anybody who was worried about a buzz or about the popularity of this event and what's it going to do for the economy. I don't know the figures, I don't know what they're gonna be, but man, all positive so far.
Speaker 10: And then the ad for our city at the moment is out of control, and I know our city has got warts.
Speaker 3: Sports Illustrated the ranked of the sixteen World Cup cities, Van Vancouver number one so far. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks. Hey go Canada, go versus the car. It starts at three o'clock. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks on behalf of Ryan Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy check, I'm done and you have to date the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dollie for all the latest show content.