Speaker 1: A father takes his young daughter to a house in the dark, right in the dead of night exactly. The neighborhood is completely silent, and the air is cold enough that every time they exhale, it turns into the small white cloud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that freezing midwestern cold. Right.
Speaker 1: And he walks this little girl up to a ground floor window. But you know, this isn't just any house. It's the house where her own mother lives.
Speaker 2: Which is just it's immediately unsettling.
Speaker 1: It really is. He looks down at his child and tells her to put her hand over her mouth. He actually instructs her to hold her breath, explaining that the fog from her lungs will fog up the glass and give them away.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then, and this is the part that just sticks with you, he asks her to act as a human surveillance camera. He wants her to peer through that cold pane of glass to spy on the private life of her own mother.
Speaker 2: It sounds completely like the cold open of a like a psychological thriller or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, you hear a sequence of events like that and you think it's a script. But this is not a script. That chilling scene was a documented reality and a criminal complaint filed in the state of Wisconsin. Right, it actually happened, It did, And just weeks after that midnight visit to the window, the man that the mother was dating, a man named Rosalio Gutierrez Junior, he would just vanish from the face of the earth.
Speaker 2: Vanish completely completely.
Speaker 1: I mean, to this day, nobody has ever been found, not buried in a landfill, not concealed in a burn pit, literally nowhere.
Speaker 2: And you know, it is that kind of total erasure that Lee's investigators with almost nothing but shadows to chase exactly, and that specific kind of erasure, that absence is what makes this case so monumentally significant in the eyes of the law.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so welcome to our audio exploration today. We are focusing entirely on the case of Zachariah Anderson. He was an audio visual technician, a father of three who basically orchestrated this massive campaign of obsession that turned his own family into instruments of control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, instruments is the perfect word for it.
Speaker 1: Our source material today comes from a comprehensive true crime documentary that meticulously tracks the timeline, the evidence, and the resulting trials and Our mission for you, the listener, is to unpack the absolute anatomy of a nobody homicide.
Speaker 2: Right, which is incredibly rare.
Speaker 1: Exactly, we are analyzing only the fifth case of its kind to ever be successfully prosecuted in the entire history of Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Only the fifth that really puts it in perspective.
Speaker 1: It does. So let's just let's unpack this right away, because taking a murder case to trial without a victim's body seems almost mathematically impossible to me.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is. It's a massive gamble.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, if you don't have a body, how do you even prove a crime occurred in the first place?
Speaker 2: Well, you have just hit on like the single greatest hurdle in the entire criminal justice system. Our entire framework of Western law is terrified of prosecuting a murder without a body.
Speaker 1: Terrified. Why terrified?
Speaker 2: Because of history. Honestly, there is this deeply rooted legal concept called deleikti, which translates directly from Latin as the body of the crime.
Speaker 1: Okay, the body of the crime.
Speaker 2: Right now, in modern law, that doesn't just mean a physical human corpse, you know, it means the foundational fact that a crime actually happened, but historically it was quite literal, like.
Speaker 1: They actually needed a body exactly.
Speaker 2: Back in the seventeenth century in England, there was this famous incident known as the Campden Wonder. Three people were executed for the murder of a man who had vanished. Okay, and a few years after they were hanged, the supposedly murdered man casually returns to town.
Speaker 1: Wait, you're kidding.
Speaker 2: He was alive, completely alive. He had been abducted and sold into slavery overseas, but he wasn't dead. So the law executed three innocent people because they just assumed a disappearance meant a murder.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So the legal system fundamentally designed itself to prevent that specific nightmare from ever happening again.
Speaker 2: Precisely, the law built up these massive walls of burden of proof. Usually, when a prosecutor stands in front of a jury, they have a body to definitively prove a death occurred.
Speaker 1: Right, They have an autopsy exactly.
Speaker 2: An autopsy provides a cause of death. They have a weapon to show the mechanics of how it happened, okay, and ideally they have an eyewitness to say who did it.
Speaker 1: But in the case of Rosalio Guciroz Junior, they don't.
Speaker 2: Have any of that, none of it. Investigators walked into a situation with none of those three pillars. To prove a murder without them required a prosecutor to convince twelve highly skeptical jurors, like beyond a reasonable doubt that a person did not simply walk away from their life.
Speaker 1: Right, that they didn't just decide to disappear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have to prove that the victim didn't flee a debt or run off to start a new life, and they have to prove that this specific person sitting at the defense table is the sole architect of their demise.
Speaker 1: So the police are basically standing there with this massive absence of evidence. Because they don't have Rosalio, they can't perform that autopsy, no cause of death exactly, they can't match a bullet to a gun or a blade to a knife block. That missing piece fundamentally changes the entire trajectory of the investigation.
Speaker 2: It forces them to go in reverse.
Speaker 1: Right, they can't work backward from the victim's body. They have to work forward from the suspect's life, which is so much harder it is, which begs the question, how does a seemingly ordinary father, a guy with absolutely no violent criminal record, end up at the center of such a complex, calculated and successfully hidden crime.
Speaker 2: Well, to understand the mechanics of this, we really have to look closely at the contrasting lives of the two men involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do that. Let's start with the architect of this tragedy, Zacharia Anderson. He was born around nineteen eighty, raised in Port Washington, Wisconsin, Okay, and from his earliest years his life was marked by a severe structural fracture. His parents separated, his mother moved out of state to Texas, his father remarried, and he grew up navigating this massive, blended network of full half and step siblings, and.
Speaker 2: They were stretched across two completely different geographical regions.
Speaker 1: Exactly Wisconsin and Texas.
Speaker 2: And you know that lack of geographical and familial stabidity early on, it's not just a background detail, it's a critical psychological component, right, has shaped him absolutely. The source material highlights this very striking event from his adolescence. He actually moved to Texas as a teenager to try and reconnect with his mother. He was looking for that anchor.
Speaker 1: But it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: No, the arrangement rapidly failed, and instead of flying back or having a parent drive him, he ended up hitchhiking all the way back to Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Wait, a teenager hitchhiking.
Speaker 2: Alone, completely alone on the highways. I mean, think about the developmental impact of that.
Speaker 1: That is incredibly dangerous.
Speaker 2: It's a profound dangerous journey for a kid to undertake by himself. It speaks to a very early, very deep seated need to find control and engineer his own.
Speaker 1: Stability because the adults in his life had just failed to provide it.
Speaker 2: Exactly, when you have to rely entirely on yourself to nap the gate across the country as a kid, you develop a really rigid grip on your environment.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. So he gets back to Wisconsin, He manages to finish high school and eventually earns an associate degree from a local technical college. Right, and looking at his adult life, I kind of think of him as a human Swiss army knife.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: Right. He builds his entire existence around technical manual problem solving skills. He gets a job as an audio visual maintenance technician at the very college he graduated from.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't just stop with the nine to five.
Speaker 1: No, he takes on demolition work. He does independent contracting on the side. He helps his brother with these extensive remodeling projects. His daily routine basically revolves around dismantling complex structures, handling intricate electronics, running hidden wires, and this is crucial cleaning up construction.
Speaker 2: Debris, which becomes the precise focus of the investigation, right because I mean, an audio visual technician doesn't just plug in monitors. They understand how systems communicate silently in the background.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they know they hidden stuff.
Speaker 2: They know how to route cables through walls where no one will see them, how to place cameras from maximum field of view, and how to operate digital interfaces that track data. And the demolition side of things, well, a demolition worker understands the physics of tearing something apart. They know how to remove waste so thoroughly that you would never even know a structure was there in the first place.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to push back a little on that though, because tearing down drywall and hauling away two by fours in a dump truck is vastly different from erasing biological evidence. I mean, how does remodeling a kitchen equate to committing a perfectly clean murder.
Speaker 2: That is a fantastic point of skepticism, and it's exactly what a defense attorney would argue to a jury. Right, But let's look at the actual mechanics of demolition and contracting work. When you do heavy demolition, especially in occupied buildings, you have to understand dust mitigation.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Have to understand how to set up negative pressure environments so particular matter doesn't spread to other rooms. You deal with industrial grade chemical solvents.
Speaker 1: All the time, right, You're constantly cleaning, and.
Speaker 2: You know how to transport heavy, awkward, massive loads of material out of tight spaces without damaging the surrounding hallways. You know where the blind spots in building security are because you have to haul materials in and out of them every single day.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about the security camera exactly.
Speaker 2: These are not inherently sinister skills in a vacuum, but if you apply that specific knowledge base to a dark purpose, they represent the absolute perfect resume for someone trying to monitor a target digitally. And subsequently erase a physical crime scene.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, that makes total sense when you frame it around the logistics of material transport and containment. It is a terrifying application of everyday blue collar knowledge.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: Now we have to contrast that intensely controlled, dismantling focused life with the victim. Rosalio Gutiras Junior.
Speaker 2: Was known to everyone in his life as Pocho Pocho.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was also born in nineteen eighty, a lifelong resident of Kenosha, Wisconsin. But his trajectory was incredibly grounded in community building, very different vibe completely. He held degrees in criminal justice and sociology. He spent time working for the State Public Defender's office. He eventually transitioned into property management and construction himself. But he was a deeply embedded, active member of a local church congregation.
Speaker 2: And a devoted father too.
Speaker 1: Yes, most importantly, he was a devoted father who coached his kids in Little League and personally drove them to their gymnastics practices.
Speaker 2: The contrast is just dark, and there's a cruel irony to Rosalo's life path here. How so, Well, here's a man who dedicated his formal higher education to criminal justice and sociology. Those are field explicitly focused on understanding the law, projecting the vulnerable, and analyzing how human behavior impacts a community structure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he studied the very system that would later be looking.
Speaker 2: For him exactly. People described him consistently as the kind of guy who would literally interrupt his own schedule just to help a stranger fix a flat tire on the side of the road. He was a builder of social fabric.
Speaker 1: It's a great way to describe him.
Speaker 2: And yet this man who was so dedicated to the health of his community becomes the victim of a crime that tears a permanent, unresolvable whole right through it.
Speaker 1: So you have these two wildly different men with entirely different approaches to life, living in the same general region, but in completely separate spheres.
Speaker 2: Until those spheres violently collide exactly.
Speaker 1: In the early spring of that fateful year, Zachariah Anderson had been in an on and off relationship with a woman named Sadie Beacham for roughly twelve.
Speaker 2: Years long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they shared a home, they had three children together, but the dynamic was really volatile. She alleged ongoing infidelity and he struggled aggressively with the concept of separation.
Speaker 2: He couldn't let go right.
Speaker 1: By the end of the previous years, Sadie had decided to sever the romantic tie for good. And then, as the world was navigating the massive disruptions of the pandemic, Sadie met Rosalio and it.
Speaker 2: Was a new relationship. But it got serious fast.
Speaker 1: It did. She integrated him into her life and introduced him to her children, and Zachariah Anderson.
Speaker 2: Noticed, of course he did.
Speaker 1: But you know, breakups happen every day. People move on, blended families are formed. So how does a standard, albeit emotionally difficult separation devolve into a highly calculated campaign of terror.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen overnight. It devolves through a very specific, escalating timeline of coercive control. And to understand the trigger, we have to look at the immense pressure cooker of Anderson's life during that specific spring.
Speaker 1: There's something else going on, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, the catalyst wasn't just the loss of his romantic relationship. He was facing a massive life altering external crisis. He had just been convicted in South Dakota for possessing over ten pounds of marijuana ten pounds.
Speaker 1: Ten pounds, that is not a minor recreational charge. I mean, I'm trying to picture what ten pounds of marijuana even looks like. That's a trafficking volume, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Precisely, ten pounds is a massive, bulky amount of narcotics in South Dakota that carries severe felony weight. And he had a formal sentencing date looming on the calendar for late May.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so the timing is everything it is.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the psychology of a situation. You have a man whose physical freedom is actively being threatened by the state. He is experiencing a total catastrophic loss of control in his legal and financial life.
Speaker 1: Right, He's about to go to prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And precisely at the moment the walls are closing in on his freedom, he realizes he has also lost control over his family structure back home in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: That is a dangerous combination.
Speaker 2: Incredibly dangerous. The psychological concept here is that when a highly controlling individual loses agency in one major arena of their life, they will often violently overcompensate by tightening their grip on whatever they can still reach.
Speaker 1: And the kids were what he could reach exactly.
Speaker 2: They became the only things he felt he could still dominate.
Speaker 1: So that external legal pressure is the spark that likes the powder keg. Because just days after that drug conviction in South Dakota, the digital and physical stocking of Sadian Rosalio begins in Earnest.
Speaker 2: It rams up so fast it does.
Speaker 1: The source material details the purchase of two separate GPS tracking devices. But Anderson didn't just log into his own computer and buy them with his own credit card on his own account.
Speaker 2: No, he was way too careful for that right.
Speaker 1: He bought them through an online retail account that was explicitly tied to his young daughter.
Speaker 2: Which is a brilliant, if deeply manipulative layer of digital obfuscation. I mean, he is using his own child's digital footprint to mask his surveillance purchases.
Speaker 1: It's sickening.
Speaker 2: It is because if law enforcement ever subpoenaed the purchase history, they would initially see a child's account, not he is. It is a profound crossing of boundaries, utilizing a miner as a digital shield for illicit behavior.
Speaker 1: And the escalation is just rapid from there. Shortly after those trackers are purchased. Sadie wakes up in the middle of the night her doorbell is ringing. She goes to the window only to see a dark vehicle speeding.
Speaker 2: Away into the night, just letting her know he's there.
Speaker 1: Exactly around that exact same time, Rosalio makes a disturbing discovery. Personal papers, along with his vehicle registration are suddenly missing from the interior of his car.
Speaker 2: Someone was inside his vehicle.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sadie starts feeling this creeping, suffocating paranoia because Anderson suddenly knows things he couldn't possibly know through normal conversation. He knows what outfit she wore on a specific Tuesday. He knows what she was doing inside the privacy of her own living room.
Speaker 2: That is terrifying.
Speaker 1: And then the paranoia is completely validated. A burner phone is found hidden beneath a child's booster seat inside Sadie's car. Oh, man, I really want you, the listener, to just pause and consider the physical logistics and audacity of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think about what it takes to do that.
Speaker 1: He didn't just slap a magnetic tracker onto the undercarriage of her bumper while she was in a grocery store, he opened her car door, he reached into the exact physical space where his own child sits, lifted the safety seat, and planted a listening or tracking device underneath it to monitor his ex partner.
Speaker 2: The physical intrusion into the child space is staggering. And when that specific burner phone goes missing, when Sadie finds it and removes it, his reaction is incredibly telling.
Speaker 1: He didn't handle it well, did he?
Speaker 2: Not at all? He doesn't play it cool. He becomes completely frantic. He is contacting her relentlessly, desperate to know if she found a phone in her.
Speaker 1: Car, because he lost his ear to the ground exactly.
Speaker 2: And when law enforcement eventually gets involved and questions him about this specific device, his defense is astonishingly weak. He claims to the police that the phone simply fill out of his pocket while he was standing near her car.
Speaker 1: That defies the laws of physics completely. I mean, a burner phone doesn't just fall out of a pair of jeans, bounce through an open car door, navigate her on a seatbelt, and wedge itself securely underneath the molded plastic of a child's booster seat.
Speaker 2: Right, It is a geographically impossible excuse, Yes, but the fact that he offered such a flimsy, illogical lie highlights his absolute desperation.
Speaker 1: He was panicking, he was.
Speaker 2: Caught red handed in the act of surveillance, and his need to maintain a grip on her movements completely overrode his ability to construct a believable alibi.
Speaker 1: Which brings us directly back to that harrowing scene we opened with the window incident. Because he wasn't just relying on electronics from big box retailers. He was weaponizing his own flesh.
Speaker 2: And blood using his daughter. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He walks his young daughter up to the cold glass, tells her to cover her mouth so the condensation doesn't alert the people inside, and forces her to spy on her mother and Rosalo.
Speaker 2: It's just so sad it is.
Speaker 1: He had also previously handed the same child a phone implicitly instructed her to hit record whenever her mother got upset or argued. He even allegedly planted a recording device near the air conditioning unit outside Sadie's house.
Speaker 2: The AC unit trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was trying to figure out how that would even work. Why an AC.
Speaker 2: Unit, Well, it has to do with the acoustics and airflow of an HVAC system. An air conditioning condenser unit sits outside, but it is connected to the dutch work inside the house. Okay, if you place a sensitive microphone near the intake or the structural penetration with the lines go into the house, the physical duct work can actually act like a megaphone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It carries the vibrational sounds of voices from inside the house out to the exterior. It's an old school, highly technical eavesdropping method, and it again points directly back to his audio, visual and construction background. He understands how sound travels through a building's infrastructure.
Speaker 1: It's just so calculating, you know. When we look at this relentless pattern, the trackers, the ac audio traps, making his kid hold her breath at a window, it is incredibly tempting to reach for a clinical label.
Speaker 2: Sure people want to diagnose him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You hear words like psychopath, sociopath, or a malignant narcissist thrown around constantly in true crime media.
Speaker 2: They do get thrown around, But we have to be incredibly careful here. The source material is definitive on this point. There are no public medical or psychiatric records offering a formal diagnosis for Zacharia Anderson. We cannot and ethically should not give him a clinical armchair diagnosis from AFAR. Instead of focusing on a medical label, we have to focus entirely on the mechanics of the behavior itself.
Speaker 1: The behavior is loud enough exactly.
Speaker 2: This is a man who is entirely fundamentally unable to tolerate losing the narrative of his family. He ceases to be a former partner navigating the difficult emotional terrain of a breakup. He shifts entirely into the role of a warden.
Speaker 1: A warden.
Speaker 2: Yes, he is actively policing her physical borders, he is monitoring her digital communications, and he is conscripting their chilln to act as his prison guards.
Speaker 1: A warden. That is the perfect distillation of his behavior. He even terrified a friend of Sadi's who occasionally babysat the kids.
Speaker 2: Oh I remember this part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, This poor woman woke up in the middle of the night in Sadie's house to find Zachariah Anderson literally looming over her in the pitch dark, demanding to know where Sadie.
Speaker 2: Was inside the house.
Speaker 1: Inside the house, The situation escalated to the point where someone had to call for emergency help because his physical presence was so threatening.
Speaker 2: It's just escalating and escalating.
Speaker 1: But here is the terrifying reality of coercive control. This pattern of escalating surveillance is constant tightening of the net. It inevitably has to break.
Speaker 2: It can't last forever.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you cannot maintain that high wire act of obsession without it eventually spilling over into a physical confrontation. The watcher eventually has to step out of the shadows, and that causality brings the timeline to those fateful days in mid May.
Speaker 2: The transition from surveillance to violence is almost always triggered by a received loss at the target.
Speaker 1: So let's carefully map out the last normal moments of Roussalio Gatera's's life. It is a weekend in mid May. He spends the daylight hours with Sadie and his kids.
Speaker 2: A totally normal day.
Speaker 1: By all accounts, it is a perfectly normal, happy, uneventful day. The next evening, he is back at his own apartment. He speaks to a female friend on his cell phone. The call happens around eight point four nine pm eight.
Speaker 2: Point four nine pm. That's the anchor point.
Speaker 1: Right during that call, he is alive, he is well, he is relaxed, and he is rooted in his normal evening routine. And then the timeline completely.
Speaker 2: Fractures right after that call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a neighbor who shares a wall in his apartment building recalls hearing a sudden, incredibly loud bang that night. They describe it to investigators as sounding like something heavy and substantial being violently forced against the shared dry wall.
Speaker 2: And this specific moment is where the timeline becomes incredibly fragile, because it hinges on a tiny, almost imperceptible mistake of navigation.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the other visitor.
Speaker 2: Yes, there was another woman, a woman named Narata Machias, who had made plans to meet up with Rosalio at his apartment that very night, but when she drove to see him, it was dark. She was unfamiliar with the complex, and she went to the wrong apartment building by mistake, she.
Speaker 1: Was physically in the wrong place exactly. I want to stop and look at the math of that mistake for a second, because why does a woman knocking on the wrong door matter so much to a murder investigation?
Speaker 2: Because In a circumstantial case, timeline is absolutely everything. If you don't have a body to determine a time of death, you rely on the last known interactions.
Speaker 1: Right, You need to lock down the minutes exactly.
Speaker 2: If Mackias had gone to the Corets apartment, she might have interrupted the crime. She might have seen Anderson, or she might have arrived and found the door open in the scene bloody establishing an exact time of the event.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But because she went to the wrong building, her testimony about what she saw and heard and exactly when she was there became.
Speaker 1: Because she wasn't actually outside his door.
Speaker 2: Right. If she says she arrived at nine pm and heard nothing, but the neighbor swears they heard a violent bang at nine to fifteen pm, the defense attorney suddenly has a fifteen minute window to introduce reasonable doubt.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's brilliant for the defense.
Speaker 2: It is they can look at the jury and say, the state's own witnesses can't agree on when this happened. Maybe someone else slipped in during that fifteen minute gap. A tiny navigational error by a guest creates a massive fault line in the prosecution's chronological.
Speaker 1: Narrative that makes the stakes of every single minute so clear. So after that loud bang against the wall, Rosalio goes completely silent. He stops answering text messages, he stops answering phone call.
Speaker 2: He's just gone.
Speaker 1: The sun comes up, and he doesn't show up for his construction job, which is highly out of character. And on that exact same rainy morning, while Rosalio is inexplicably missing from his life, surveillance cameras capture Zachariah Anderson walking through the sliding doors of a big box store in Sockville. This is the Walmart trip, Yes, and I was looking at the details of the shopping trip and it stopped me in my tracks. Let's meticulously unpack his cart. It is raining heavily outside, yet Anderson walks into the store wearing a jacket and flip flops.
Speaker 2: Which is an odd choice for heavy rain.
Speaker 1: Very odd. He goes to the register and pays for everything entirely in cash, leaving no direct digital bank trail. And let's look at the items he is buying. Two boxes of thirteen gallon garbage bags, large containers of chlorox wipes, two packages of heavy duty large gloves, cotton swabs, old spice, hygiene products, a personal shaver, and three tins of sardines. The sardines can't get past the sardines. You were buying a textbook murder cleanup kit and you throw in a snack.
Speaker 2: Well, it is the single detail that catches every investigator and jury member completely off guard.
Speaker 1: It's so weird.
Speaker 2: It is in a cart full of industrial cleaning supplies, gloves to protect hands from chemicals, bleach wipes to destroy DNA, large bags for trans swabs for getting into tight architectural corners. You have this incredibly pungent, specific food item. Now the defense would argue it's just a mundane craving a man running errands who happens to like fish. But given the context of what prosecutors allege he was doing that morning, we have to look at the biology of scent.
Speaker 1: Masking exactly why sardines Specifically.
Speaker 2: Sardines are packed in fish oil, and they contain highly volatile organic compounds, specifically amines. When fifth degrades even slightly, it produces a smell that is overwhelmingly powerful to the mammalian olfactory system. It stinks, basically violently stinks. If you are a demolition worker trying to transport biological material that you desperately do not want a cadaver dog or a passing patrol officer to smell. Masking that scent becomes your number one priority.
Speaker 1: And cadaver dogs are incredibly sensitive.
Speaker 2: They are cadaver dogs are trained to detect putrescine and cadaverine, which are the chemicals of human decomposition. But if you saturate an environment with aerosolized fish oil or amine heavy compounds, you can potentially overwhelm the canine's olfactory receptors wow, or at least create enough sensory confusion to pass a cursory inspection.
Speaker 1: The biological calculation behind that is terrifying. You're buying materials to erase the physical evidence of a crime scene, and you throw in a chemical masking agent from the grocery aisle.
Speaker 2: It's incredibly thorough.
Speaker 1: It is. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking. Rosolio misses work for a second consecutive day. His cars have not moved an inch from the apartment complex parking lot. Finally, concerned relatives call the police to conduct a formal welfare check just after eleven.
Speaker 2: Zero am and that's when they find it.
Speaker 1: Yes, the officers arrive, knock, get no answer, and make entry, and when they walk into his apartment, they step into an absolute horror scene.
Speaker 2: The visual evidence left behind painted a picture of absolute kinetic chaos. The patiodor was left wide open to the elements.
Speaker 1: Just blowing in the wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the heavy furnature in the living room was entirely displaced, pushed violently aside as if a massive frantic physical struggle had occurred across the floor plan.
Speaker 1: And most bizarrely, a very large area rug was completely missing from the floor, just.
Speaker 2: Gone, which is a huge red flag.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to picture the physical logistics of this. If you wrap a grown man in a large area rug, how heavy is that? Is it even physically possible for one guy to carry that down an apartment Stairwell, let's.
Speaker 2: Do the math on the physics of it. A healthy adult male like Rosalio weighs roughly one hundred and eighty to two hundred pounds. Okay, a large, high quality area rug can easily weigh forty to sixty pounds on its own. You were talking about manipulating roughly two hundred and fifty pounds of dead, awkward, shifting weight that is incredibly heavy. It is rolling that up, securing it and maneuvering it out of an apartment complex without drawing the attention of neighbors requires tremendous sustained physical exertion. It requires knowing how to leverage weight, how to pivot heavy loads around door frames.
Speaker 1: Which goes back to his background exactly.
Speaker 2: It speaks directly to that physical demolition and contracting background we discussed earlier. He hauled heavy materials for a living. But while he could haul away the rug, what he couldn't completely remove was the blood.
Speaker 1: The blood evidence is what makes the missing rug so ominous. Investigators found blood smeared on a door, blood cast off onto the ceiling, and blood pooled across multiple surfaces in the living area.
Speaker 2: It was everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was a crime scene. Expert later testified that the specific spatter patterns indicated at least seven separate blood producing events. This was not a single, clean, accidental strike.
Speaker 2: No, this was a fight.
Speaker 1: This was a sustained, violent, chaotic, close quarter struggle that moved across the room.
Speaker 2: And to add a deeply eerie modern technological layer to the physical scene, Rosalio's cell phone wasn't missing.
Speaker 1: With him, right, they found it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, relatives eventually found it hidden deep inside the refrigerator.
Speaker 1: So refrigerator, why put a phone in there? Was he trying to muffle the ringing fling sound?
Speaker 2: Is one possibility, But there's a much more technical reason, especially for an av technician. A modern refrigerator acts as a rudimentary Faraday cage.
Speaker 1: A Faraday cage, right, It is a.
Speaker 2: Thick metal line box designed to insulate temperature. But that dense metal also heavily degrades or completely blocks cellular and GPS signals.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is smart, It's very smart.
Speaker 2: If you want to immediately sever a phone's connection to the network so it can't be pinged by cell towers, but you don't want to carry it with you and risk it connecting to towers along your escape.
Speaker 1: Route, you just toss it in the fridge.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Tossing it into a metal refrigerator is a rapid, highly effective way to silence its digital footprint.
Speaker 1: That is a chilling application of technical knowledge in the heat of a murder. But the overarching screaming question when you look at that apartment remains if the scene looks like a slaughterhouse. Where is the victim?
Speaker 2: Where is Rosellio?
Speaker 1: The apartment is totally empty, Rosalio is gone, and because they don't have a body, the police are forced to build their case backward, working from the suspect's life. They immediately turn the full force of their focus onto Zachariah Anderson.
Speaker 2: And they start executing search warrants on his physical assets. Let's list the concrete physical evidence they eventually tied to him. First, they impound his work minivan. When forensic investigators open the doors, they find that a large section of the interior carpeting has been completely ripped out and removed down to the bare metal floorboards.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly suspicious.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, the interior of the vehicle absolutely reeks of chemical bleach.
Speaker 1: Reeks of it. Next, they move to his property in Mikuon. Because he operates as a contractor, he has a legal city issued permit for a controlled burn pit on his land to dispose of construction waste, which is convenient very but when police inspect the specific pit, they find it has been recently intensely used. Sifting through the ashes, they find heavily heat damaged bleach containers and the charred, burned remnants of clothing.
Speaker 2: And then they brought the dogs in.
Speaker 1: Yes, a specialized cadaver dog is brought in and the handler reports that the dog alerts to the scent of human remains in the general area of this pit.
Speaker 2: And that isn't the only site they find. They also execute a search warrant on his family's sprawling tree farm in the Sackville area. They locate a second recently used burn site.
Speaker 1: There two burn sites.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the exact same property where his young daughter later testified she had seen him do a chainsaw in the days following the disappearance, allegedly telling her it was for relatives to.
Speaker 1: Repair a chainsaw. So you have ripped carpet, bleach, multiple burn pits, and a chainsaw. Law enforcement even spent days searching a massive nearby commercial landfill, coming through literal mountains of compacted garbage with heavy machinery, desperately looking for Rosalglio's remains or any discarded bloody evidence. But they found absolutely.
Speaker 2: Nothing good thing at all.
Speaker 1: They are left with a collection of highly suspicious but ultimately circumstantial items, which forces us to ask, how on earth does a prosecutor prove to a jury that a burned bleach bottle and a missing piece of carpet actually equate to first degree intentional homicide.
Speaker 2: When there are alternative explanations for almost all of it. Exactly well, that gap between suspicion and proof is exactly where a skilled defense team plants their flag. Anderson's lawyers launched a brilliant, incredibly aggressive strategy to unravel this circumstantial web, thread by individual thread.
Speaker 1: How did they do it.
Speaker 2: They didn't just deny the evidence. They systematically offered a highly plausible alternative reality for every single piece of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start with the blood in the apartment, right.
Speaker 2: The defense viciously attacked the credibility of the state's analysis. They pointed out to the jury that the specific police officer who interpreted the blood spatter patterns, the one who confidently claimed there were seven distinct violent events, only had about forty hours of formal training in bloodstained pattern analysis.
Speaker 1: Wait, forty hours, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it. He was a local cop who took a week long seminar. Are not a world renowned, board certified forensic scientist. They argued his interpretation of the chaos was entirely speculative and shouldn't be trusted as scientific fact.
Speaker 1: That casts immediate doubt on the severity of the scene. But what about the mini van. How do you explain away a van that smells like a swimming pool and is missing its.
Speaker 2: Carpet by attacking the chemistry. The prosecution use chemical presumptive tests inside the van, chemicals like luminol or phenol phalin that reacted and changed color to indicate the possible presence of blood.
Speaker 1: Right they glow or turn pink.
Speaker 2: But the defense countered with an unassailable scientific fact. Those specific presumptive blood tests look for the iron and hemoglobin by triggering an oxidation reaction. However, household bleach is a massive, incredibly powerful oxidizing agent.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so the bleach triggered the tests exactly.
Speaker 2: So if Zacharia Anderson was simply cleaning his dirty construction van with chlorox wipes, which we know he bought at Walmart, the chemical test gets the bleach, oxidizes the chemical and it lights up bright pink or blue, exactly as if it were a bloodbath.
Speaker 1: The defense argued the state was testing cleaning supplies, not murder evidence.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now, the state did find one tiny microscopic pinhead size stain in the van that yielded a DNA profile connected to Rosalio, But on cross examination, even the state's own DNA analyst had to admit they couldn't confirm with absolute scientific certainty that the substance was definitively blood as opposed to sweat, saliva, or another fluid transferred innocuously during a previous interaction.
Speaker 1: That is some incredible reasonable doubt. They dismantled the digital stalking evidence using a similar tactic, didn't they Precisely?
Speaker 2: The state had the digital receipts showing Anderson bought GPS tracking devices on his daughter's account, but the defense highlighted a glaring physical gap. Law enforcement searched Rosalio's vehicles top to bottom and never actually found those specific trackers.
Speaker 1: They weren't there.
Speaker 2: Buying a piece of electronics at a store not a crime. Proving beyond a reasonable doubt that it was planted, utilized, and monitored is much much harder without the physical device in hand.
Speaker 1: But looking over the trial transcripts, I think the biggest, most glaring gap the defense exploited was Zachariah Anderson's own physical appearance.
Speaker 2: Yes, this was huge.
Speaker 1: Police encountered him and interviewed him shortly after the disappearance. This is a guy, the state claims, just committed a horrific, bloody, close quarters murder in an apartment, engaged in a massive physical struggle, and rolled a two hundred pound man into a rug. Right, and yet the clothes he was wearing that week and his physical body had absolutely zero visible blood on them. There were no scratches on his face, no defensive wounds on his hands or arms noted by police.
Speaker 2: Nothing. He was clean.
Speaker 1: The defense forced the prosecutors to essentially invent a theory where Anderson is some sort of forensic supervillain. They had to argue that he committed a brutal, messy assault, rolled up a body, moved it out of a building, tore out his van's carpet, burned evidence, and perfectly cleaned his own body, all without leaving a single speck of physical evidence on his person and without a single eyewitness seeing him do any of it.
Speaker 2: It is often called the perfect cleanup theory in legal circles, and defense attorneys love to mockt The defense argued that investigators developed severe tunnel vision.
Speaker 1: On day one, they just zeroed in on him.
Speaker 2: They decided Anderson was guilty because of the contentious breakup, and they retrofitted every piece of mundane blue collar life to fit a murder narrative. You have burn pits. He's a contractor who burns construction wasts, which is why he has a permit. You have cash from Walmart. He work side jobs and gets paid in cash to avoid taxes.
Speaker 1: You have ripped carpet. It's a work van that got ruined by a chemical spill.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah, everything had a plausible, innocent explanation if you just tilted your head and look at it from the defense's angle.
Speaker 1: This entire debate perfectly illustrates the complex mechanism of circumstantial evidence and how a nobody homicide actually has to work in a courtroom to be successful. Circumstantial evidence is so often misunderstood.
Speaker 2: You know, oh, absolutely, people expect a smoking gun, right.
Speaker 1: It isn't a movie where they find the murder weapon with his pristine fingerprints on the hilt. I like to think of circumstantial evidence like pixels in a digital photograph.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: If you zoom all the way in on one single pixel, like the Walmart receipt for sardines. It's just a meaningless, blurry, gray square. The defense can easily point out it and say, look, it's just a gray square. It means nothing.
Speaker 2: That is a phenomenal analogy, because if the prosecution stays zoomed in, they lose. The prosecution's entire job is to zoom out. Yes, they have to arrange ten thousand of those blurry pixels together. The Walmart receipt, the ripped carpet, the daughter's testimony about the window, the burner phone under the booster seat, the complete lack of cell phone activity from the victim after eight point four nine pm, the cadaver dog alerting on the burn pit exact right on their own. Any single pixel is meaningless, but when you zoom out and look at the whole image, you can clearly see the high resolution picture of a murderer. You can't argue with the composite image.
Speaker 1: And the prosecution's goal is to make that image so clear that it convinces a jury of one inescapable truth. Rosilio Gatiraz did not just walk away from his thriving life. His beloved children, and his church community and his construction job. No, he didn't, And Zacharia Anderson is the only person on earth who had the obsessive motive, the timeline window, and the physical skills to ensure he never came back.
Speaker 2: But taking a fragile, purely circumstantial web of keixels to a jury in a murder trial is a massive gamble with justice. You are rolling the dice with a family's closure, You really are, And that tension sets the stage perfectly for what happened next the court room, theatrics, the legal maneuvering, and ultimately the verdict. Because this case didn't just go to trial. Once it went to trial.
Speaker 1: Twice, the first trial collapsed, didn't it.
Speaker 2: It did, and it classed entirely because of that fragile timeline mathematics we mentioned earlier With Neurotomchias.
Speaker 1: The woman who went to the wrong apartment building.
Speaker 2: Right, she took the stand to testify, but her testimony on the stand about the exact sequence of events and exactly what she saw and heard that night shifted subtly from what she had previously stated in police reports. Yeah, the defense attorneys instantly pounced. They argued that they were totally blindsided by this altered account, and worse, they claimed the prosecutors had known about this discrepancy in her memory for months without properly disclosing it to the defense.
Speaker 1: Team, which is a huge deal.
Speaker 2: Is a massive violation of the Brady rule regarding the discovery of evidence. The judge agreed that this sudden shift compromised the fundamental fairness of the preceding and he declared a mistrial. They had to pack up all the evidence and start all over.
Speaker 1: Again, which is psychologically devastating for a victim's family. You know, to gear up for a murder trial, sit in the gallery and watch it evaporate on a procedural technicality.
Speaker 2: It's agonizing.
Speaker 1: But the state regrew refines their timeline and the second trial kicks off roughly a year later. And if the first trial ended in a procedural fizzle, the second trial was absolute, unbridled chaos.
Speaker 2: Pure chaos.
Speaker 1: It featured a vicious battle of jail house informants. The prosecution brings forward an inmate named Markwan Washington. He takes the stand and testifies that while they were incarcerated together awaiting trial, Zachariah Anderson explicitly confessed to him, describing in graphic detail how he repeatedly stabbed Rosolio.
Speaker 2: Jail house informants are notoriously tricky pieces of evidence, and prosecutors use them at their own peril. Juries are inherently deeply skeptical of them because they understand the prison economy right.
Speaker 1: They know people trade info exactly.
Speaker 2: Inmates often trade fabricated testimony for lighter sentences, better sell conditions, or cash in their commissary accounts. The defense anticipated this beautifully.
Speaker 1: How do they counter it?
Speaker 2: They didn't just cross examine Markwan Washington the point out as incentives. They brought in another inmate to actively testify against.
Speaker 1: Him, the counter informant.
Speaker 2: Yes, this second inmate took this stand and declared to the jury that Washington was a chronic, pathological liar who had a known documented habit of trying to insert himself into other prisoners' high profile media cases, specifically to gain favor with the guards and prosecutors. Wow, it was a complete muddying of the waters, turning the trial into a referendum on who you believe less, the alleged killer or the snitch.
Speaker 1: And the drama wasn't just confined to the inmates on the witness stand, it bled over to the prosecution table itself. At one point in the trial, the district Attorney himself, Michael Gravely, was actually removed from the courtroom during testimony. That is almost unheard of, right because DA Gravely had been personally directly involved in interviewing Murta mckeas early in the initial police investigation. The judge determined that there was a legal risk the DA might have to become a witness in his own case to clarify what she said, so he had to physically step out of the room. That was wild, and later the tension reached a boiling point when the defense explicitly accused Dia Gravely of literally mouthing words to the informant, Mark Jan Washington while the informant was on the stand struggling with his testimony.
Speaker 2: The DA vehemently denied the accusation on the record. Of course, of course, the judge ultimately allowed the jury to weigh the accusation themselves, rather than throwing out the informant's testimony entirely. But that moment paints a vivid picture of an incredibly tense, combative almost toxic courtroom environment. Every single inch of legal ground was being violently contested by both sides.
Speaker 1: Amidst all this aggressive legal maneuvering, the shouted objections over informants, of the debates over bleach chemistry, we have to bring the focus back to the deeply human element of the strategy.
Speaker 2: We really do.
Speaker 1: The emotional core of this trial wasn't the blood spatter on the ceiling or the ripped minivan carpet. The absolute emotional core was Zachariah Anderson's teenage daughter taking the witness stand.
Speaker 2: That was just heart wrenching.
Speaker 1: Imagine the crushing psychological weight on this young girl sitting in a packed courtroom, testifying in a murder trial against her own father. And while she is up there speaking to the court about the window incident and the burner phones, prosecutors observe Anderson sitting at the defense table, actively making facial expressions and gestures stored.
Speaker 2: Her, seemingly trying to intimidate her or influence her answers in real time.
Speaker 1: Yes, the judge actually had to stop the proceeding and address his behavior on the public record.
Speaker 2: It is a profound, chilling continuation of the exact control dynamics we discussed at the very beginning. Even in a courtroom with his life on the line, surrounded by armed bayliss and a judge, he is still fundamentally unable to let go.
Speaker 1: He still thinks he's the warden exactly.
Speaker 2: He is still attempting to manipulate his child's narrative. But despite his staring, her voice could not be silenced, and her statement at his eventual sentencing hearing was perhaps the most devastating piercing analysis of his character heard throughout the entire multi year proceeding.
Speaker 1: She stood up in that courtroom, looked at the men who raised her, and questioned the fundamental nature of their entire relationship. She asked out loud to the judge if her father had ever truly loved her as a human being, as an independent daughter, or if he had simply viewed her as an extension of himself upon on a chess board, exactly a tool to be used to maintain surveillance and control over her mother. She told him directly that she had lost all confidence in him as a parent. It absolutely breaks your heart listening to a child vocalized the realization that her parent weaponized her innocence for a vendetta.
Speaker 2: It strips away all the complex legal jargon, the Brady violations, and the forensic chemistry, and he gets down to the absolute rot at the center of the case. The tragedy wasn't just that he took Rosalio's life. It was that he was entirely willing to destroy the psychological well being and fundamental trust of his own children to satisfy his obsessive need for control.
Speaker 1: The jury absorbed all of this. They sat through the circumstantial evidence, the chaotic shifting timeline, the dueling jailhouse snitches, and the heartbreaking family dynamics. When they finally got the case, it took them roughly ten hours of methodical, intense deliberation in that.
Speaker 2: Jury room, which is a decent amount of time.
Speaker 1: And you can tell they took their duty incredibly seriously because on the very first day of deliberations, they spent five full hours just asking the judge complex legal questions, specifically about the stocking charges.
Speaker 2: Right, they were working through the pixels.
Speaker 1: They weren't just rubber stamping the homicide charge and going home. They were building that composite image themselves. Pixeled by pixel thread by thread. Ultimately, they returned to the courtroom and found Zacharai Anderson guilty on all counts, first degree intentional homicide, hiding a corpse, and stalking both Sadie and Rosalio.
Speaker 2: The sentence handed down by the judge reflected the absolute severity of the complete, zoomed.
Speaker 1: Out picture what was the breakdown.
Speaker 2: The judge gave him consecutive sentences for the stalking and corpsegighting charges, culminating in a mandatory life sentence for the first degree homicide. Crucially, the judge structured the penalties so that Anderson is not even legally eligible to seek a release petition until he has served forty full years of that life.
Speaker 1: Term, meaning he will be well into his nineties before he even sniffs the air of a parole board hearing.
Speaker 2: If he makes it that long, the gavel.
Speaker 1: Falls, the courtroom clears out, the news cameras pack up, and a man is locked away in a concrete cell for the rest of his natural life. But that brings us to the agonizing transition of this reality. What happens after the gavel falls and the legal system declares a victory.
Speaker 2: Right, Because the story isn't really over.
Speaker 1: The state has its hard fought conviction. The architect of the crime is in a cage, but a family in Kenosha is still missing their son.
Speaker 2: And that is the haunting, unresolved reality of a nobody homicide. The legal system has reached a definitive conclusion, but the physical world has not caught up.
Speaker 1: Let's look at the aftermath where crently sitting in today, Zacharai Anderson maintains absolute, unwavering denial of all charges. He denies killing Rosalio, He denies ever stalking Sadie. He denies hiding a body.
Speaker 2: He hasn't yielded an inch from.
Speaker 1: Behind the walls of a state prison. He is still actively fighting the narrative. He recently filed a staggering ten million dollars civil lawsuit against the city of Mikuan, claiming his original arrest was procedurally improper.
Speaker 2: Acclaimed the city swiftly and aggressively rejected in court filings.
Speaker 1: By the way Right. His family is running a very public, vocal campaign declaring his absolute innocence, arguing he was railroaded by a corrupt tunnel vision justice system, and journal entries attributed to him are still making their way out to the public sphere.
Speaker 2: He's still trying to control the story.
Speaker 1: He even reportedly complained, according to a recorded jailhouse intercept mentioned by the DA during hearings, that he was furious he had to spend nearly four hundred thousand dollars on his defense team.
Speaker 2: Complaining about the financial cost of a legal defense team while the family is completely bereft of their loved one's physical remains, shows a stark, almost clinical lack of empathy.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It highlights a man who is still entirely exclusively focused on his own perceived victimhood, completely blind to the devastation he cosed.
Speaker 1: It is maddening to listen to, which brings us to a final provocative thought for you, the listener to mull Over as we conclude something that builds on the tension between the law and reality that we've discussed, highlighting a deeply chilling bureaucratic paradox.
Speaker 2: This part always gets me.
Speaker 1: The jury of his peers handed down a guilty verdict for first degree murder. The judge sentenced him to life in prisons, specifically for taking a human life. Legally, the state of Wisconsin formally recognizes and enforces the fact that Rosalio Gutiraz Junior was murdered by Zachariah Anderson.
Speaker 2: But if you go to the state's official missing person registry today, you will find Rovalio Gutierrez's face staring back at you from the screen.
Speaker 1: Still there.
Speaker 2: His case is officially listed in the database is open. His physical location is listed as unknown. He is, on paper, simply a missing man. I want you to ponder that chilling, bureaucratic limbo.
Speaker 1: It's a massive contradiction.
Speaker 2: What does justice actually mean when the highest courts in the state declare a man murdered, severely, punish his killer, and close the legal book, But the administrative paperwork of that exact same state still waits for him to walk through the front door and come home. The family has no physical grave to visit on holidays. They have never been able to hold a proper funeral to say goodbye. The legal system packed up his briefcases and moved on, But the physical reality of the family remains suspended forever in that dark, unresolved void.
Speaker 1: It is a massive echoing gap between legal truth and physical truth that a family is forced to wake up and live in every single day. I want to sincerely thank you the listener for staying with us until the end of this incredibly heavy, complex exploration of human behavior.
Speaker 2: And the lawe It's a tough one to sit through.
Speaker 1: Cases like this require immense patience and a willingness to look closely into the dark corners of the justice system, and we deeply appreciate you taking that long journey with us today.
Speaker 2: If this breakdown of circumstantial evidence, the mechanisms of coercive control, and the complicated pursuit of a convition resonated with you, we encourage everyone to subscribe to the show so you don't miss our next conversation.
Speaker 1: So what does this all mean? It means there's always more to uncover beneath the surface of a verdict. We bid you a fond farewell until next time, and as you go about your day, think back to that cold night. We started with a breath held tight behind a small hand so the glass wouldn't fog, a child forced to look into the darkness by the very person supposed to keep her safe. The fog eventually clears on the glass, but the chill of what was seen through it never truly goes away,