Speaker 1: Step into the world of power, loyalty, and luck. I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. With family, canoli's and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business, Introducing the Godfather at champagasino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 2: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 1: Play the Godfather now at champacasino dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Family vdW group.
Speaker 4: No purchase necessary. I believe we're braveitted by loss. He terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 5: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you.
Speaker 6: What do you do when you win?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclop or a high fiver?
Speaker 5: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 6: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumback Casino at chumbacasino dot com. Choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at casino dot com.
Speaker 3: You'll becus necessary Dailoid overbe By Lost in Terms conditions eating pluss He Radio.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 1: Judy was boring.
Speaker 3: Hello, then Judy discovered jumpa casino dot com.
Speaker 4: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby, Mama is bringing home the bacon who take.
Speaker 1: It easy, Judy.
Speaker 5: Jump the Chumba lighte is for everybody.
Speaker 3: So go to chumbacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chump acasino dot com.
Speaker 2: Nobrid just necessary.
Speaker 3: We're prohibited by n eighteen plus turns and conditioned to plice webse for details.
Speaker 5: Okay, Round two. Name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire. Huh oh sorry, we were looking for chumbu Casino.
Speaker 8: Jump that's right, chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Jump chumbacasino dot com nosy plus start the Condition of the Blue website.
Speaker 2: Retails good evening. He promised to kill me when he got out. I believed him. If I wanted justice, I had to fight both him and the courts to kill him first. If I didn't do something, I was going to die. This is not a manufactured dialogue from a thriller, but the words of Attorney Sharon Muse. They came after she survived in attempted kidnapping, rape, and murder at the hands of Hank Morrison, a former client. On April seventh, two thousand and six, Mews miraculously escaped from the sociopathic Morrison, only to find that the threat of her life was just beginning. Ineptitude and the justice system threatened to release Morris and allow him the opportunity to finish the job, which he adamantly pledged to do. Mews would have to fight at every step to insure her safety. She would act as her own advocate, investigator, legal counsel, and bodyguard in the years following the event, Kidnapped by a Client covers the brutal kidnapping, two trials, two appeals, procedural error's galore, one Supreme Court reversal, and even Muse's intricate plan to murder Morrison before he could get her. Mews would not ultimately execute that plan, and she would emerge victorious in the legal battle thanks to her faith and her own determination and legal acumen, but her safety is not insured. Morrison upp is up for parole in twenty twenty six, Mews regularly monitors his status. Mews recounts her stranger than fiction story and kidnap by a client. She analyzes the failures of the legal system, the mistake she made, the step she took to protect herself, and how she has coped with trauma. Listeners will find not only a compelling narrative, but also insight into how to protect oneself insure one's own safety and well being. The book that we're featuring this evening is Kidnapped by a Client, The incredible true story of an attorney's fight for justice, with my special guest Sharon Muse and Rob Johnson. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview. Sharon mus and Rob Johnson.
Speaker 9: Thank you for having us. Very excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for both of you for joining me.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Now, Sharon, can you just give us a brief background before we get into this incredible, incredibly personally and intimately involved story of your life and this incredible incident. Tell us just briefly what your life was like before this, your work as an attorney, and where exactly Bourbon County and Scott County, where exactly are we talking about where this occurred.
Speaker 9: Bourbon and Scott County are the two counts, two of the several counties that surround Bayette County in central Kentucky, which is Lexington. We're more rural, would not be considered a city, probably by anybody standards. Prior to this, I had your basic small town practice, did a lot of a variety of different kinds of cases. Very care free, very lighthearted, never really concerned with security or safety, never considered a client could possibly.
Speaker 4: Be a threat to me.
Speaker 9: Typically they like you because you're helping them, you're fighting for them, you're advocating for them.
Speaker 4: I guess I took a.
Speaker 9: Variety of cases, and unfortunately I got involved with this particular man because I felt sorry for him and his wife and did some free legal work, and that's how I came to even know that he existed.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the day in question, the faithful day, two thousand and six, April seventh, and you had got some bad news about your mother. So tell us where you were that day, and when you were talking about the news, you said you had a bad day. Before we talk about your faithful meeting with your former client.
Speaker 9: I'd gone into work that day dressed very casually.
Speaker 4: I had on jeans and just a cotton.
Speaker 9: Pullover shirt was like a stretchy neckline, and you'll hear more about that later. But my plan was just to work on some appellate briefs.
Speaker 4: I wasn't going to see any clients, and my.
Speaker 9: Admin, Judy, I'd instructed her, I said, don't I can't be bothered by anybody. I have to focus, like this is my deadline. So I was working on the computer, was getting close to being done, and my mom stopped by the office and came in to tell me that she had just left her doctor and they had found some strange black spots on her lungs, and they weren't clear what they were. They believed them to be a rare form of cancer and something that we couldn't get treated locally. So that just completely derailed my day, and I stopped doing my legal work and started researching, trying to figure out who would be an expert and who could I take my mom to. And called a friend of mine in Louisville who her mom had a very aggressive form of cancer and she was very active in her treatment. And so, as you could, just had done a complete shift from practicing law to how can I keep my mom healthy and keep her alive? So my mind was not in a good place.
Speaker 2: You had been dating a man named Jeff for about seven months, and yes, and so tell us what you were doing. You were speaking with him as you left the office. Tell us what the conversation was like. And what happened next is you carried a briefcase in some flows to your car.
Speaker 4: Well, it was interesting.
Speaker 9: Jeff always had Fridays, he was a preacher, and that was you know, you didn't get Sunday's off, and so he was going to be playing golf that day. And we had an understanding that when he played golf. He usually didn't have his phone with him, and if he did, he wouldn't answer. It was just his time away from the world. But we had spoken on the phone briefly and when I this was again before smartphone, so I opened up my flip phone and I could see the battery was almost dead. And as I was talking to him, I opened the door to walk out in the hallway, and I noticed someone had been waiting outside my door, and when I opened the door, they jumped back so that nobody in the office could see him. And as I rounded the corner, there was a man just walking the hallway, and so I told Jeff, I said, let me call you back. Somebody's waiting for me. And when I hung up, I thought, you know, it's going to be a minutefriend calling back because my batteries did. I'm standing in the hallway looking at a man who very clearly was waiting for me.
Speaker 4: His face looked familiar.
Speaker 9: I couldn't think of his name, and I couldn't think how I knew him, but I was fairly certain he was a previous client. And he immediately starts talking to me about his wife had just died.
Speaker 4: He was afraid.
Speaker 9: His family was scared, the assets were frozen. They needed help. This is a Friday now, right at five o'clock, and what can I do to help them? His family wanted me to come talk to me, and I was trying to politely move forward as he was talking to me, so I could not find myself stuck in a hallway for thirty minutes trying to have a client consult. So I explained to him, it's Friday at five o'clock.
Speaker 4: The courts are closed.
Speaker 9: There's literally nothing I can do for you. I'm happy to listen, but I need you to go in and talk to Judy. Set up an appointment first thing Monday morning. I'll get you in front of Judge and we will get you taken care of. And I'm so sorry for your loss, but right now my hands are tied until Monday morning. Well this didn't seem to settle him down at all. He seemed very anxious and fidgety, and he was, you know, had a lot of energy. And as I moved, he moved, and I would take a step forward and he would not move, so I'd have to take a step back to create space. If I went around the side it was. It was almost like we were dancing. Every time I moved, he moved. Every Time I asked a question, he responded, and he responded with my family ensured.
Speaker 4: We need you. We're scared, we need your help.
Speaker 9: And at some point in this exchange in the hallway, he pulled out a giant wad to cash, not like I'd ever seen any anybody carry around before, but it was about the size of my fist, was wrapped with a rubber band, and it had like some white powdery substance in the middle.
Speaker 4: I saw it just for a flash.
Speaker 9: And he tried to put it in my bag, in my briefcase, and I took my hand and waved him off and said, no, don't do that. This isn't how this works. I don't just take wads of cash. You'll talk to Judy, you'll sign it contract, he'll pay me hourly. I said, this is not how things work. And he kept trying to get that cash in my pocket or in my bag, and then he stopped for a minute, put it back in his pocket and continued to say, my wife just died.
Speaker 4: I'm scared. I don't know what to do.
Speaker 9: So in order to get past him, to get to my car, where I.
Speaker 4: Thought I could leave. I said, okay, well I'm leaving. Walk with me to my car.
Speaker 9: I'll ask you a couple of questions and then come back and make an appointment with Judy. And he said okay, and I thought, okay, I got out of this awkward situation.
Speaker 4: Good idea.
Speaker 9: So we're walking to the car and I'm asking him you did your wife have a will? Was it notarized or their witnesses where their names noted. I was just asking basic questions to determine if, according to Kentucky law, that this would be a valid will, and he.
Speaker 4: Answered them all.
Speaker 9: He was very articulate and clear, and we approached the car and I said, okay, it sounds like a valid will. We shouldn't have a hard time getting it through probate. Thank you for stopping by.
Speaker 4: Sorry about your loss.
Speaker 9: I'll see you Monday morning. I turned my back to him and put everything in my car, unlocked my car, loaded on my files in the back, and as I opened my car door to get in, I look up and he's on the other side of my car with the car door open, and he's physically standing between the car door and the well of my car, and I just I froze. I didn't know what he was doing or how I was supposed to respond, right, So at that moment I said, I said, you know what's going on? How can I help you?
Speaker 4: What do you need?
Speaker 9: And he was like, well, can you give me a ride to my grandma's house? And I we had this fairly lengthy exchange, so, well, how did you get here? While I walked, Well, can't you walk back? Well, it's only three blocks. Well, then that's a short walk. So I went back and forth with him repeatedly, without ever just saying no, get away from my car.
Speaker 4: I'm not comfortable.
Speaker 9: Like in my mind, I kept thinking this, this man's life just died. He's a clienteers he trusts you, he needs and wants your help. Why would you say no to him? Like I've almost guilted in myself or shamed myself into it. And I continued though I just didn't feel comfortable, and I was like, you know, no, if you walked here, you can walk back. And probably after our fifth or sixth exchange of this, thunder cracks in the sky and the spring weather in Kentucky is very volatile. It'll be beautiful and sunny one minute and pouring down during the next. And that was just the final straw for me. I thought, you cannot make him walk home in the rain after his wife is just dead and he just needs some help. But you know it, was concerned by his behavior, seemed very he seemed desperate to be around me, and I thought, well, that's just because he sees me as the person who can help help them get through this. Every time, every time my mind tried to tell me you need to get away from him, I had some excuse, some way to justify that what he was.
Speaker 4: Doing was was okay, and that probably wasn't a big deal. So I'm sorry you.
Speaker 2: Had the tenacity that you had the idea that you should make sure that you have your phone and you dial tell us about this. Once he's inside the car, what happens, and increasingly in terms of your your fear, and at what point do you get the idea to dial your phone and connect with your boyfriend Jeff.
Speaker 9: So, when we were standing outside the car, I felt very uncomfortable, but I couldn't really articulate why, but I just felt uncomfortable. When he sat down in the car, and I felt the weight of his body hit the seat and he shut the door. Some kind of alarm went off inside of me, and I just I knew that I wasn't safe. I didn't know to what degree, but something in me was saying, you're not safe.
Speaker 4: So there was no.
Speaker 9: I can't articulate specific thoughts, I just instinctively, instead of putting my purse where I usually do, I tucked it by my left leg in the car well, and I pulled my very surreptitiously pulled my cellphone out, opened it up, flipped it on, and I tucked it kind of under my left thigh where he couldn't see it. Now, I'll tell you I didn't think. I didn't think the battery was working, but I couldn't figure a way to get my phone plugged into the car charger where he wouldn't see it. And then I thought, well, Jeff's not going to answer his phone anyway because he's about to head out to the golf course. But I know Jeff is very detail orientedy, is very smart, and I knew if he heard me in a car with a man's voice when he knew I should be driving home alone, he would pay attention, not because he's jealous, but because he would know that something out of order. So I tucked it away and I hid it. And as we pulled out of the parking lot, you know, I said, where do you need me to go? And he directed me. So I continue to ask him legal questions, you know, are you the air anybody else a family that do you think anybody's going.
Speaker 4: To contest it? Because he said he only.
Speaker 9: Lived three blocks away, so I expected this to be a very short ride. So once we passed what anybody could imagine would be three blocks, I said, well, you know, where are we going? Where does she live? What's the street number? And once I said that and we got close to the end of that street again, everything just amped up another level. I was certain at that point that I was in trouble and I wasn't safe. I knew he wanted to do something to me. I didn't know what, but I knew I wasn't safe, and so I tried to talk to him as much as possible. I was desperately trying to remember his name. I couldn't think of his name, but I did not want him to know that. And each time I would ask, you know, where is it or it's you know, it's been more than three blocks. Very quickly it turned into him becoming violent to get escalated to where he would put his hands on the back of my neck and grab it and shake my neck and yell at me not to disrespect him. Any any type of question, any type of challenge as to where we're going he perceived is disrespecting him, and I wasn't to do that, and he'd stick his finger in my face, or he would grab my neck, or he would rub his rub his hand down my arm, and he would yell and tell me to keep driving and keep driving, and then he would stop and pause.
Speaker 4: And just look at me.
Speaker 9: And I glanced over at him, and he was looking at me as if we were on a date it was, and he said, it sure is nice being in this car with you. And that's the moment that I thought he's he wants he's going to rape me.
Speaker 4: And that's when my.
Speaker 9: Mind really started spinning, and I thought, what do what do I do? How do I stay se what can I do? And as the drive continues, keep in mind, this is my hometown.
Speaker 4: I grew up here.
Speaker 9: I drove right by the street that my parents lived on. At the time where I grew up. I grew drove by the street where my elementary school was. But I had no idea where I was.
Speaker 4: I couldn't.
Speaker 9: All I could think about were his hands. I was trying to dodge the next blow or at one point he put his hands between my More than one point he put his hands between my legs and I would move them, and I grabbed the steering wheel and tried to keep them from being able to touch my breast. And it just the further out we drove, the more fearful I became, the more desperate I became, and the angrier and more violent he became.
Speaker 4: So at some point he sees my cell phone, and.
Speaker 9: Because he'd been in prison up to just less than two weeks before, he hadn't seen a cell phone yet, he thought it was a digital recorder. So he starts yelling at me and saying, are you recording me?
Speaker 4: Or you recording me?
Speaker 9: And I grabbed the phone and I was and I said, no, this is my phone. And I put it up to my ear and Jeff was there. I couldn't believe it, but Jeff was there.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 9: And at some point during this drive his name just came out of nowhere, and so I said, do you want me to call you Hank or do you want me to call you mister Morrison? And I said it that way so that Jeff would know who had me. And during this conversation, during this conversation, I had asked him where had he been and what had been going on because I didn't remember that he had been a criminal client. I thought I had done an adoption for his family. And so this whole time, I'm trying to figure out, how could this guy you had did an adoption for be what is he angry with me about? And so he said, I just got out last week, and I was like, out of prison and he said out of prison. And again that was for Jeff to hear. But he would know that a man had me, He would know his name, and he knew that he'd just been out of prison. So he jerks the phone away from me and he's talking to Jeff. And at this point, I'm this is the only point that I can recall, like actively praying, and I was just like, please God, don't let Jeff make him mad. Whatever he says he's going to take out on me, Just don't let him, make him mad.
Speaker 1: All I was.
Speaker 4: All I was trying to do was to keep him calm, because.
Speaker 9: You're in a car, there's no room to go anywhere. Every time I did anything he didn't like, it was a threat or a strike or in my face and grabbing me or shaking me or stroking me. And all I wanted to do is keep his hands off me. And it came down just from each breath to the next, You're trying to think, how do I just get to the next breath without him touching me or without him hurting me, and it created you know, I wasn't breathing well, and so I caught myself catching my breath and then sighing, and then that set him off, and he's yelling at me that that's disrespectful and not to do that, and he's again in my face or grabbing my hair or grabbing my neck, and I remember thinking, I can't even breathe without making this man angry, and just desperately trying to think how to get away from him. And we went through the only large intersection that we went through, because again this is a rural area, and as we hit the middle, I was going to slam on the brakes and just jump jump out of my car if I got hit. I didn't care. I just I wanted to be away from him. And I started to hit the brakes and he grabbed my knee and just squeezed, and I knew, I knew I had to think of something else, so I kept driving.
Speaker 2: You right about the phone the phone call where Jeff talks to Morrison. Yeah, what does Morrison say to him before he hangs up?
Speaker 9: He says, don't worry, I'll take care of her. And when he said that and he hung up, I cannot. I don't know that I can adequately tell you now or even in the book what that did to me, because I knew.
Speaker 4: Probably not going to get out of that car.
Speaker 9: Ever, and I frantically redialed, hoping and praying that Jeff that I had battery and that I didn't lose service and that Jeff could hear, and we continue on the entire drive. Is just this me saying, are we a most there yet? Why are you doing this to me? Eventually I started saying, is that an airport? Is that an elementary school?
Speaker 4: Because I can't.
Speaker 9: Think and I don't understand where I am so I'm just trying to describe to Jeff what I'm seeing so that hopefully he'll know where I am, or he could figure out or he could call the police and tell them where I am. And Morrison grabbed the phone a second time and was trying to talk to Jeff. And when I put the phone back up to my ear, Jeff said, do you want me to call the police? And I just said I don't know, because I thought he was my lifeline. What was he going to say when he called the police. My girlfriend's in a car somewhere, maybe near an elementary school with a guy that's been out of prison. Could he what could the police do for me? So I didn't even know what county I was in, So at some point I said, are we in Bourbon County? And Jeff wrote that down. And as we continue to drive around and I'm completely disoriented, we came up to a yellow light, a caution light, and when I stopped there, I just started screaming, get out of the car, get out of the car. I don't care where you live, I don't care where she lives. Get out now. I was like, get out.
Speaker 4: I was just I was done, And he was like a role.
Speaker 9: Reversal became very calm, and he was like, we're almost there. It's right down this road. It's three houses down. I'll get out, just take me to the house. And so part of me thought, Okay, I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: He really just.
Speaker 9: Doesn't want to go to his hitco referred as his meme off house. We're driving down this country road and I said, okay. I counted as I passed your house, I said that's one, that's two, that's three. And I started to pull in the driveway and I said, this is a house. You're getting out. He's like, no, I counterground, it's over the hill. A drive over the hill, because again I don't know how to physically get him out of my car, and I didn't know what I was supposed to do if I physically got out of my car. So I pop over the next hill and there's a big black barn. It's a you could tell it's a I would call it an abandoned farm. It wasn't actively being farmed the barn. It was hay and kind of mold and really tall grass, and there was a barn near the roadway, and then past the barn was a driveway and as soon as we passed the barn, he said, here's where she lived. And as I looked up at the house, it was a house that was completely dilapolated. Vines were grown through the windows, the front porch was sunk in, the windows were boarded over, and I remember, I said, your me.
Speaker 4: Mall is there.
Speaker 9: There was some part to me it is desperate to think I was really taking him to his grandmother's house.
Speaker 4: And he said, no, not there. Drive past it.
Speaker 9: Back behind that barn. There was a second barn, even back behind the house. And I told you earlier. I knew that he wanted to hurt me when he told Jeff, don't worry, I'll take care of her. But when he told me to drive back behind that barn, at that point, there's nothing to lose.
Speaker 4: He's going to kill me.
Speaker 9: I know he's going to kill me. And at best I could hope he killed me on the roadway so somebody finds me. So I just said, I said no. I drove past the driveway. I reversed into it, which is something I've never ever done. But for whatever reason, I drove past the driveway, I reversed in it. I put my car in drive, and I'm screaming, get out of the car, get out of the car. I'm just over and over, that's all I'm saying. And he puts his left hand on my hands, shoves the gear shift into part and the next thing I know is my head is being cracked into a window, smacked into the steering wheel. It's just flashes of light. It's like if you're watching an old projector movie and the film comes off the reel and you just see little bits and pieces light and dark than images. It's just exactly like that. You know, there's a I see the steering bell coming at me. I can feel the glass in my head. I can just feel his hands digging into my scalp and it's thrashing me around. And the next thing I know is that he's my head into the consoles between the seats and he's putting his body weight into the side of my head. And I'm still with my seat belt on. The car's running. My right arm is crushed under my body, my left arm is under the seatbelt and I'm stuck. And I see him in.
Speaker 4: What looks like.
Speaker 9: Slow motion, moving his right hand because he hold me down to his left hand, He's moving his right hand down the inside of his jean leg and I start screaming.
Speaker 4: Jeff called the police, Call the police.
Speaker 9: He's got a gun. He's going to kill me. And at that moment, my phonement that was lasting.
Speaker 4: Jeff heard.
Speaker 9: And when Morrison pulls up his pantlet, he had a nice strapped around his angle just assumed it was a gun. I just saw a black handle. And he pulls it up, and as he's pulling it over to my throat, he says, this is for those years in jail. And he I can see his biceps like flexing, triced muscles are the veins are popping up an environment. I can see him pressing that mince into my throat and I can feel the pressure of it, thinking this is it, this is it. And I remember being really specific with these thoughts that I told myself, Okay, you're gonna gurgle, you're gonna taste.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: Round two. Name something that's not boring.
Speaker 1: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 5: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbu Casino.
Speaker 1: Jump.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 8: Chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 5: Jump Chumbucasino dot com were bage plusters.
Speaker 8: The condition of plus.
Speaker 9: Blood and then I getting be able to catch your breath and that's it. And I waited and I kept breathing, and I waited, and I felt the blood and I felt the warm blood running down my chest, and I thought, what's I'm still breathing, but I could see him. He was shoving that nice into my neck, and I kept thinking, how am I still breathing? And he said take your pants off. He was telling me what he was gonna.
Speaker 4: Do to me.
Speaker 9: I don't remember his exact words, but I do remember he told me what he was gonna do to me, and that he specifically said take your pants off. And I said, no, you're gonna If you're gonna rape me, you can rape my dead body. I was finally I had finally hit the rage phase. Up to this point, I've been confused, I've been scared. I've been trying to preserve my safety with whatever naive measures I took. But at this point I knew it was over and there was nothing that I was going to do that was going to make it easier from him, and if he wanted to rape me, he could kill me and drag my.
Speaker 4: Dead body out and do it. But I was not going to make it easier for him. And when I said no, what's the question?
Speaker 2: Sorry? And you were a physically fit person, you said, you're the best shape you were in your an adult life at this point, And yeah, pumped with adrenaline. So you guys were both. He was hitting you, punching you. You were wrestling and fighting in this car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, war'd you.
Speaker 9: Once he pinned me down with my head like that, I was trapped. But when I said no, the next thing I know, and there's no The only explanation I have for this is some form of divine intervention, because there is no other nobody else was present. The next thing that happened was he was back over in his because he had been up out of his seat on top of the console trying to cut my throat. He's back over in his seat, the knife is in his hand, the tip is broken off the knife. There's a huge gouge in my dashboard where apparently the knife had been drug through the dashboard. And I'm still my head is still down. And when I saw that he was back in the seat.
Speaker 4: I thought, this is it now. I didn't think this is it. You're gonna get away, You're gonna live. I thought, this is it.
Speaker 9: You can make sure he doesn't get away with this. You know, you hear people say that that when they really think they're gonna die, they have these flashbacks, they think about things from their past. That for me, all I saw, and this always makes me this is this is one of the toughest parts. But I saw my elderly parents grieving because they never knew what happened to their daughter, and I just thought, you cannot let that happen. You cannot let them live like that. Thinking somebody has to find my body, somebody has to find me for my parents. And so the only thing that made sense to me was I had to get the keys out of the ignition because if he couldn't drive off in my car, somebody would find my car and somebody would find my body. And that was my only goal, was just for somebody.
Speaker 4: To find me. So then we really started fighting, and I have permanent injuries to this day from that fight. And it was violent and it was.
Speaker 9: I mean, both of us were just kicking and punching and anything we could get a hold of, and I kept my eye on the knife all the time. I wanted to make sure. I was just scared I was gonna fill that plunged into my stomach. So I was watching the knife, and I kept trying to use my left hand and jerk the.
Speaker 4: Keys out of the ignition.
Speaker 9: Because my thought was, I'm gonna jernk the keys of the Ignition. I'm gonna throw them out into the field, and he's not gonna be able to drive off. He's gonna be stuck walking. And we were in the middle of nowhere, So I'm desperately trying to jerk the keys of the Ignition and I couldn't. I couldn't get my hands on them. So then I started trying to kick open the door, and I couldn't kick open the door, so I was trying with my hands to open the latch. So I'm fighting it with my right hand and use my left hand to try to open the latch, and I couldn't open it. So I you know, I'm balancing. Do I look away from the knife for a second to see where the door handle is because I didn't want to pick my eyes off that night. So just for a second, I glanced away to get my hand on the door handle to open the door. And when I did, I saw a red truck driving in the distance. And at that moment, I told myself, you can survive this. Get in front of that red truck. Just get in front of that red truck.
Speaker 4: I forgot the keys.
Speaker 9: I'm still fighting with them, but now I'm like, just get out of this car.
Speaker 4: And so we fight. I get my again.
Speaker 9: We're on a farm on a kind of a dirt gravel road. I get my left foot out the door a little bit, start to leverage myself out.
Speaker 4: He pulls me back in.
Speaker 9: We fight some more, and I just keep thinking, that truck's gonna pass me, that truck's gonna pass me. I did it the second time. I got my foot out, he jerks me back in the third time. I don't know what I did different. I don't know what happened, but I was able to leverage my leg against the base of the door and just pull myself out with my legs and my one leg was trapped with my purse wrapped around it. And I'm running with my legs tangled and my purses and the contents are flying everywhere, my breast are exposed where he'd dripped my shirt down, and blood's running down my chest, that chunks of hair hanging out of my head. And I ran straight in the middle of the road and just stopped and spread out my arms and spread out my legs and was determined that this truck was not going to go around me.
Speaker 4: And it was.
Speaker 9: Difficult to put yourself in front of oncoming truck on a country road. My body I could feel my legs wanting to dive over into the ditch, and I just kept saying to myself, you're either going to die out here with him, or you're gonna get hit by a truck. And I choose the truck. I would much rather get hit by the truck. And I understandably, this man driving the truck is just driving down a country road and here comes a partially exposed woman with blood running down her chest and chunks of hair hanging out of her head, screaming no idea what he's just stumbled on. He stopped, wasn't too far from me, and I ran to him. And I don't recall doing this. I don't remember grabbing my phone or downing none on one, but I had. It's on the recording, and I'm screaming, tell him where we are, tell him.
Speaker 4: Where we are. I don't know where I am, and he I think, kind of, you.
Speaker 9: Know, froze for a minute. But fortunately there's been a truck that I didn't see that drove past. They saw everything, and they voluntarily stopped. It was a husband and wife with their children, and they stopped and got out of the truck. And when I turned around and I saw this man and this woman standing in the middle of the road, it was like it was like I knew I was going to be okay. Like up to that point, I just kept thinking, if I run, Morrison's going to catch me. He's just going to stab me to death out here. But these people were out of their truck and they were coming towards me. Man, it was the kind of man you wanted to stop. He was big and intimidating, and his wife was immediately making a bee line for me. And I gave them the phone and he gave nine on one direction. Because as soon as the phone had disconnected with Jeff in the car, after I screened and said he's got a gun, he's going to kill me. Jeff called the police and said, I don't know what to tell you, but someone's trying to kill my girlfriend in her car somewhere in Bourbon County, and that's all he could tell. So from the point that he had called to the point that I had called, they had detectives out. I think they called Scott County. They were asking for a helicopters and understanding they had dogs out and everybody was looking for me.
Speaker 2: You you were on the phone as I Aparton made the textas were called, the police were called. There was two phone call from Jeff and from these people that helped you, VICKI and Kredel Gibsons and this other man named David Rowe that we talked about a little bit later. So what was his behavior? What was Morrison's behavior once these people arrived intervened on your behalf? How did he play these three people? How did he act and what did he say?
Speaker 4: It was so bizarre.
Speaker 9: I don't know what I would have expected. But he sat in the car for a few minutes. The witnesses all hear me telling none one one of the story. I'm yelling at the same time I'm talking to them I'm yelling to them, be careful. He's got a knife. He tried to kill me, he tried to rape me. I was afraid for their safety and I wanted dim't understand that this is a violent guy and they need to be careful.
Speaker 4: And for the first few minutes he sat in the car.
Speaker 9: Then he gets out of the car and he starts talking to them and to them referring to himself as he says, don't don't you know who I am? I'm Morrison. He just refers himself as less and.
Speaker 4: Don't you know Morrison?
Speaker 9: And they all three stop and kind of look at each other and they're like, no, they could just it took everybody. We were all shocked that he comes out and he's like, look, don't you know me? And he starts telling them that I'm just tripping, that we're out there together, that I'm mad at him, I tried to steal money from him, that I've made all this up and they can just go on about their way. This is just a little squabble. And I said, again, be careful. He's got a knife, and he said, I don't have a knife, and I said, he tried to rape me, and he said. He said something to the effect that I wish.
Speaker 4: That he would rape me. What a treat that would be for me.
Speaker 9: And he continues to talk to them, and so I believe it was Codell got out of the back of it is Codell or David got a pipe out of the back of their truck, and the two of them formed kind of like a wall between Morrison and myself, because once he got out of the car, he started walking towards him and then kind of around him like he was trying to get around them to get to me. So he continues to kind of shout stuff, and he he's showing it's a parent. He still wants to physically get a hold of me. Vicky gets in his sand beside me. She's trying to help me stay calm. She's just and I you know, here she's talking to her husband and her husband like, get the lady away, get the lady back, create some space. They're trying to keep him controlled, and they're saying, you know, you just need.
Speaker 4: To stay here. The police will sort it out.
Speaker 9: And I am. And again, I know this doesn't make sense probably to your listeners, but this whole time, I keep thinking they're gonna leave.
Speaker 4: They're gonna leave. This is dangerous. They don't know if he's got a gun, and they're just gonna leave me here with him. So I begged them and sobbing.
Speaker 9: Can hear me talking to the nine oneer an operator and then looking at them and saying, please don't leave, Please don't leave. If you leave me, he'll kill me. And I'm because I'm afraid they're gonna leave. I'm wanting to tell them, you know, the police are almost here. The police are almost here. And I keep saying, when are they coming? When are they coming?
Speaker 4: So we start to hear sirens.
Speaker 9: You can't see any lights, but it's from a it's from a distance. So we're out in the country and you can hear. You start to hear the sound of the sirens rolling over the hills and come up and meeting us on the road. And when we all hear that sound, we stop and everybody looks, and Morrison gets really nervous and he starts looking around. He goes back to the car and he pulls out a bag. I bagged it to that moment, I had not, but I saw it. All the witnesses saw it. He grabs a bag throws it over his shoulder, but before he runs off Kojel Gibson says, hey, I see the knife. Put the knife down. And Morrison's like, I don't have a knife, what knife? What are you talking about? And Gibson is like, I see the knife, and I remember said I see the dog gone knife, put it down. So Morrison walks over and tries to give it to one of the witnesses and he puts it on the truck and I'm yelling, that's evidence. Don't touch that, and Morrison walks down the road away from the sound of the sirens and hops the fence and we see him disappear into a tree line.
Speaker 2: You saw some things in that bag, you weren't certain, but there was a couple of things you saw for sure certain. What what did you see in that green bag?
Speaker 9: Well, again, first my thoughts, he pulled that and when it so, it startled me and I was focused on that bag and it appeared to have a roll of duct tape and a hammer and some rope, and I just thought, that's what he was going to do to me behind that barn.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's it.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, that bag was never found. I begged and begged for somebody to look for it. I went out and looked for it the following Monday, but he had run off into the tree line. And law enforcement starts streaming in kind of one at a time. You know, it's it's a it's a rural area. They don't get a lot of kidnapping calls active ones. So volunteers are coming in, police, sheriff's deputies, they're trying to gather get organized. I'm freaking out. His I'm all of a sudden thinking about a trial now and evidence and crime scene and photos and what are we gathering and what's going on? And their concern is is you know, finding this guy obviously, And and so I call a friend of mine. His name's Steve Schoring. He was my actually my trial practice professor, and we've got to be good friends and he's a brilliant criminal defense attorney. And I'm just he answers the phone, and I just start screaming. They're they're ruining the crime scene. I don't know, there's nobody's doing anything, and like they're nobody's like collecting evidence, they're not taking photos, nobody's talking to me, nobody's and so he calms me town and he's like, just just talk to them, You're gonna be okay. He's trying to, you know, calm me down. So one of the officers came up to me and asked me what happened, and I just briefly explained to him, and he said, oh my god, you are abducted.
Speaker 4: And I remember I turned.
Speaker 9: Around and looked kind of almost behind me, and I was like what, and he said, you were kidnapped, and I just thought who would kidnap me? Like I still, even though I just had lived it, I was still not able to call it what it was or see what it was. I just found myself either completely terrified or in trial practice mode. How he was either terrified and sobbing or looking at the scene trying to see what we needed for a trial, and there just didn't seem to be anything in between. So they dispersed. They're out looking for him. An ambulance shows up, and a state trooper shows up, and for a while I was there by myself, and I thought, Okay, he's going to circle back around and kill me while I'm sitting here alone while everybody else is out looking for him. But thankfully, im As arrived very quickly. The state troops showed up.
Speaker 8: And he.
Speaker 9: Asked me a couple of questions, and ems kept wanting to check me out. I was bleeding and I didn't want him to touch me. I didn't want to be touched, and they kept saying. They kept trying to coax me into the ambulance. They said, please let us check you out. We just we just need to make sure that you're okay.
Speaker 4: But I couldn't.
Speaker 9: I was more interested in what's going on with the search. Are they going to find him?
Speaker 4: Where is he? Is he close to me?
Speaker 9: Because all I knew was he disappeared in some trees. I didn't know where he was.
Speaker 4: So I'm watching.
Speaker 9: The Bourbon County Sheriff's deputies and they they did an excellent job. They very quickly, so I could see their cars all kind of came into a circle. So I thought, okay, he must be they think he's in that circle. And they found him and I heard them radio the trooper and I said, we found him. He's you know, he's he's kind of hidden himself and he won't come out. So the trooper took off into the field and I was left there with the EMS, and I thought, okay, they have their eyes on him, you know I can I can let them check me out now. So they start checking me out and they put me in the ambulance, trying to make sure that I'm not, you know, too severely injured. And the next thing I know is they're saying, we need to get out of the ambulance. And I thought, you just spent twenty minutes trying to get me in here. Why do you why do you want me out now? And they said, well, the trooper wants you to identify the guy they found. And I said okay, so I'd get out the back of the ambulance and the trooper had his window down, obviously the back window was up, and he said, can you identify him as this the man?
Speaker 4: So I walked.
Speaker 9: Car and I just glanced beaucept did not want to look at him, and I just said, yeah, that's him. And as I turned to walk away, I could see how the queer of my eye. He starts wagging his head no, and he's screaming, why are you doing this to me? Why are you making this up? Why are you doing this to me? And I just snapped and I ran towards that car and was beating on the window. I called him and said things that I shouldn't say on your podcastings I've never said before. I might have made some words up, but it was foul and it was nasty, and I wanted him to understand. I just kept saying to him, you picked the wrong woman. You picked the wrong woman. You're going to die in prison, or I will kill you when you get out. And I was like, you don't have to come looking for me. I'm waiting for you, and just kept trying to get a hold of him. I just wanted to put my hands on him, because for the first time in this whole incident, I was I wanted to tear him apart, piece by piece, And if I had gotten my hands on him, I probably would have been part of me. Just wish if I could have for just a few minutes, because I just wanted him to know that he needed to be afraid of me at that moment.
Speaker 2: Now let's talk about what happens. We need to sort of move along a little bit towards and not cover every ridiculous thing that his defense attorney and he contends, needless to say, what this book really entails a lot of is your fight to be able to gather in for evidence to assist the police. You were an attorney, so obviously no, you know what credible, valuable evidence and what kind of evidence is necessary for the type of conviction that you wanted. So when he talked about you guys doing drugs together, ridiculous notion that you were having late night sex parties where you were performing sexual acts and it's all some ridiculous not that we won't go into it because it's all ridiculous nonsense, but without any evidence backing it up whatsoever. But tell us about what kind of charges with this, Gordy Shaw, What kind of charges were available for Morrison to be charged with, and your dissatisfaction with those charges and why, Well.
Speaker 9: They charged them with resisting arrest, which is a misdemeanor, and it had nothing to do with me. It was that infuriated me, which I mean, it's fine to charge him with that, But they charged him with a misdemeanor resisting arrest. They charged him with sexual assault, a lower level sex abuse type charge. When I was looking for tempted rate since he had a knife and he pushed them to my throat, and let me be clear, the only reason he didn't slice my throat open was because I had on a really chunky necklace with these semi precious stones and the knife actually so my net catebrasis and bruises. But there was a divot in the stone where he was pressing and pressing, and he had dug.
Speaker 4: So hard he dug a divot out of that stone.
Speaker 9: That was one of the pieces of evidence I had to beg somebody to collect, but I expected him to be charged rightfully. So with attempted rape, I wanted them to consider attempted murder. I wanted them, but they got kidnapping, which on its own, kidnapping in Kentucky is only and I say only because when you believe somebody's going to kill you, when they get out of prison, ten to twenty years doesn't feel that long. So it's kidnapping by itself is only attend to twenty year penalty, and he's eligible to be released after only serving twenty percent of that. So the prosecutors never explained any of that to me.
Speaker 4: I did my own research.
Speaker 9: So they charged him with one significant charge, which was the kidnapping. The sexual charge, which was I thought, very weak.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 9: A misdemeanor, and with certain crimes, if you charge them, there can be no eligible there's no eligibility to be released until you serve at least eighty five percent of the time, which again these other charges would have carried that, but what they charged him with didn't. So that night at the hospital, when the trooper told me what they charged him with, I said, don't get your blue book. I'll walk through the elements. I will show you that these backs meet more significant charges. And he wouldn't, and he happened to tell me and was being questioned at the police department. He mentioned what you said. You know, we were doing drugs together, and I was.
Speaker 4: Like great, Like that's great. So I got out of the hospital bed.
Speaker 9: And went and demanded a full drug screen, hair, blood, urine, whatever they could do to go back as far as they can go back, because I have never done drugs, and to me, that was I was thrilled that he said that, because it was easy to disprove.
Speaker 4: So from that point.
Speaker 9: Forward, I started drafting emails. The friend that I mentioned earlier, Steve Shoring, that's the defense attorney. He sent letters to the office. We're saying, you know, we think it could be more significant charges. Here's the evidence, please collect this. I paid for my I made car payments and insured my car for a year, even though I had it parked on my family farm. Because the car was the crime scene, nobody looked at it, nobody took photos.
Speaker 4: I took photos.
Speaker 9: I'm the ones who requested photos of my injuries be taken, and all the photos shown at trial were photos that I took. Nobody else took them. So I spent the first several months three months after this happened, I didn't sleep. Every night, I would push my dresser in front of my door in my house.
Speaker 4: I had all new windows, put in, new locks, exterior lights.
Speaker 9: Bought a new gun, did some training, didn't go anywhere without a gun, only went to my house and to work. I stayed home for five days after it happened. Then I went back to work, but I never went anywhere without my gun, and I almost never slept. And I was so exhausted and so tired of asking somebody to pay attention to this case. After multiple calls that I still have saying called here, this person knows this, here's a piece of evidence, I still have my shirt.
Speaker 4: I still have my necklace.
Speaker 9: Please come look at my car. You'll see how violent it was. You can see the mice damage the inside of my car. You know, anything and nothing was happening. And you know when you when you go to bed every night and you wake up every morning more tired than you were when you went to bed, and you're literally just waiting for someone to kill you. Because the last thing he said to me when I was pulling out of the car, when I was running out towards that truck, was it doesn't matter if you get away, I am going to kill you. And I believe him now. I believed him then he had just tried to kill me. Of course, I believe he's going to keep me.
Speaker 4: He's going to come back.
Speaker 9: So I'm doing everything I can, you know, without interfering in the case. I'm trying to build it and think about it. I'm talking to my friends and our lawyers, and I was like, you know, what's going on. Why can't I get anybody to pay attention to this. So at some point I was sitting in my office looking out the window, and I had noticed they were bringing some inmates in from another county to come to come to court in Scott County and it just clicked and I thought, Okay, here's my answer.
Speaker 4: My office.
Speaker 9: I went over to the courthouse. I was trying to figure out how the backstairs work where they bring the inmates. On my way back to the office, I ran into one of the sheriff steputings and asked them, when you transport prisoners, you know what steps do you bring them up? Because Morrison was being held in Bourbon County because that's where we were found, and I had filed charges against him in Scott County on my own the monday after I was kidnapped and filed additional charges in Scott County so that if he got out of jail in Bourbon, he would immediately have to go to Scott.
Speaker 4: That was my hope.
Speaker 9: I was just trying to buy myself some time that if he was able to make bail, that at least I would have warning and he would be then in the Scott County jail and I could do whatever I had to do.
Speaker 4: To keep myself safe.
Speaker 9: So after months of this, I thought, the only thing I can do to stop living with this constant fear is to just take care of things myself.
Speaker 5: He is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 6: Are you a fist pumper, a wooer, a handclapper, a high fiver?
Speaker 5: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 6: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumback Casino.
Speaker 5: At chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 6: Choose from hundreds of social casino style games, chances to redeem it serious cash prize. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at shumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 5: Noill we necessary daily where every I lost in terms conditions eighteen plus, so.
Speaker 4: I came up with a plan.
Speaker 2: Now, luckily you talked yourself out or we're talked out of this plan, and you fought more justice the conventional way, the way you knew. But this is a great demonstration of the incredible fear, the real tangible fear that this man would kill you. As a bail hearing, you realize that he was living with his grandmother three blocks away. His grandmother was calling you to basically say, listen, you got my son all wrong or my grandson all wrong. Just back off. These charges. So yeah, intimidation and fear were just your constant companions. Now with this grand jury, thought that you had given Gordi Shaw, You tried to give Gordyshaw a bunch of evidence, but it didn't seem like anybody was cooperative whatsoever. You realized and you were told and people have said that a grand jury it's easy to indict. In fact, the grand jury could indict a ham sandwich. What happens with the grand jury, despite when you learned that Cordell and Vicky Gibson gave really strong statements that you thought supported even the attempted murder charge that wasn't laid. But what happens with this grand jury and the indictment.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm not allowed to know what happens in grand jury. It's all secret, other than I'm allowed to know what charges come out of it.
Speaker 4: I had asked that they.
Speaker 9: Present attempted rate and attempted murder and some other charges. I was told old by the prosecutor that they had presented it and the grand jury wouldn't invite. So I asked to hear the tapes because I didn't believe them, because just the statements from the Gibsons alone, without without me being without my statements being considered, their statements would have been enough for that. And once I demanded to hear the tapes, I was told there was a mistake. They actually never had presented them. I continue to politely ask, and then uh, not so politely asked, And they were never presented to grand jury as far as I know, they only presented the kidnapping and the demeanor charge and the sixth abuse charge. Now, what did what did scare me is that the one thing that the trooper did through all of this that I'm really grateful for, he didn't have to do, and I appreciate it. He called me after he presented to grand Jerry, and I.
Speaker 4: Said, well, what did they say about the rape or the you know, the murder.
Speaker 9: And he said, well, I didn't talk about that, and I'm like, well, if you're the only witness, he said, well, they didn't ask me questions about that, and so he I knew that it hadn't been presented, but he said there was only one question that was asked and it was a woman and she asked why did she let him in her car?
Speaker 4: And that question, I think is what drove me to consider.
Speaker 9: Taking justice into my hands because I just kept thinking, they'll never convict to my kidnapping. They're going to blame me, They're going to think, you know, and so I just thought that that we wouldn't prevail with that. So this all happened, like I said, with in the first couple of months after the kidnapping, and it was actually had a church retreat where I finally realized, Okay, you know, if I actually move forward with this, one I'm not trusting God to keep me safe, and two I'm no better than Morse and that I just have to regardless of what happens. I cannot walk with this kind of hatred or anger for somebody because I'll tell you, the hatred and the resentment that I had developed for him was changing who I was as a person, and it was making me bitter. And yeah, this may sound strange, but I'm forgave him and doing so was the best best gift I could give myself. That just took so much off of me. Now, when I say I forgave him, I still think he needs to die in prison. Forgiveness doesn't mean somehow he's off the hook or that we're buddies, or I'm going to make him brownies and go have a Bible study with him at the prison. It just means that to me, I no longer I'm going to them down and kill him. I don't have that drive to do that. I have accepted what he chose to do, and I think he needs to be punished to the full extent of the law. But oftentimes when I talk to Vixon, the most meaningful thing you can ever do is forgive yourself and forgive the person did it, because you do spend a lot of time beating yourself up. And why didn't I do this differently? And why didn't I do that.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the trial, because we have a lot of story to go to explain for the audience to hear. We have on the line the former judge Rob Johnson, judge presiding at this trial. Unfortunately, the line seems to be not very good, and I want to make sure that people get the story. So Sharon, I'm going to get you to continue with this trial, telling me what happens at this trial and well the plea agreement and some of the pressure that you put on. And it's interesting for the audience is not every jurisdiction in the world has this that our district attorney, a prosecutor, a commonwealth attorney would call you and ask you if a deal that we're presented were sufficient. So tell us about this trial and these are plea agreements that they presented to you. And your response.
Speaker 9: Well, the Friday before the trial was supposed to start. On the following Wednesday, I got a call to come in and meet with the prosecutor's office and I was so exc I thought, Okay, they're going to prep me, we're going to talk about questions, We're finally going to do this. And they brought me in and they told me about a.
Speaker 4: Letter that.
Speaker 9: Morrison had written in jail and he was writing it to his attorney. Basically, it's his version of the story, and he had one of the cellmates signed it as a witness, and that cellmate told the jailer. So the jailer affects a copy to the prosecutor's office because it's not privileged when a third party.
Speaker 4: Find it.
Speaker 9: So I got to read it and he basically admitted to everything. And then the prosecutor asked me, keep in mind, this is a year later so a year had already passed if I would accept a five year offer on this case, which would mean he literally would be available to be let out of jail the same day because he would only serve of that five years, which again they didn't explain that to me. I had to figure that out on my own. So I had a pretty aggressive negative response to that. Again, don't know what I should say, but it was a firm, no, unequivocal and tell them not to bring anything back up to me again that I would accept a life sentence, but.
Speaker 4: Nothing less than that. And the only reason.
Speaker 9: A life sentence was available was because this guy had a Lenky Fellon pass. So he's what in Kentucky we call it a persistent felony offender. So even though kidnapping only was ten to twenty years, being a persistent felony offender bumps it up to twenty to life, So twenty then becomes the minimum on just that one chart. So of course five years was nothing I would even consider, and I explained to them.
Speaker 4: He tried to kill me, He's going to kill me. No, I'd rather lose a trial than agree to five years.
Speaker 9: So they gave me a copy of that letter, I asked for it. I went, spent the weekend at Keiko's, made huge exhibits, stuff passed out to the jury, drove back Monday, had to borrow friends g because then it was were too big for.
Speaker 4: My car, and dropped him.
Speaker 9: All of the proces years off that I wanted to be prepped, and didn't hear much other than show up at the courthouse at noon on Wednesday. So I'm driving to the courthouse at noon on windy day. Again, haven't been prepped, don't have a clue what I'm going to be asked, don't know anything about what's about to happen.
Speaker 4: And I get a call from the.
Speaker 9: Trooper and he said, the prosecutor and the defense have agreed to twenty years, but the judge won't take it unless you agreed. And I said twenty years and he says yeah, And I said again, very aggressive no, And I hung up on him. And of course, and Steve, the same friend that I keep mentioning, he was driving me and he said, Sharon, he said, they're not prepared. They're not going to pursue the sex charge. It's a very likely you won't prevail at trial. He said, I'm not comfortable with that, he said, I think you need to take the twenty He said, I'm just we could not see any work that they had done to be successful at trial, and he said you need to take it. So I called the trooper back. Didn't want to take it, was mad about it, but I said, fine, I'll take it. And again they had told me not to be at the courthouse till a certain time because they were going to be picking a jury. And when I got there, everything had happened in the court. The judge had dismissed the jury, and I was told that they had recommended twenty years, and considering that, I was fearful that we would get a not guilty. You know, I just had a lot of mixed emotions. I wasn't sure what to think.
Speaker 4: Came back and.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: If you want to hear Judge Johnson's perspective.
Speaker 2: On it, I would say him, I'd like, I said, his line has been compromised, so I'm going to have to get you to tell his side.
Speaker 4: Out of this, Okay. So we show up.
Speaker 9: Several months later for what's for the sentencing saying and the judges what's interesting A lot of people don't understand is judges have no idea what goes on in the case other than what's shown to them in the courtroom. They don't know about the investigation. They don't know my story. They only hear it as it's played out in trial. And since since he entered a for agreed to twenty years, there was no trial. So judges get what's called a they get a report. A PSI is what it's called it. It's a precedencing investigation, and it gives them more details about the defendant and the crime. And then I wrote what's called the victim's Impact Statement, and I think I sent in almost fifty fifty different people wrote letters to Judge Johnson because I wanted him to understand the impact that this had on me. So we went to sentencing and I had Steve on one side of me literally physically holding me up because my hands were shaking, and I was just openly sobbing in court, which of course is humiliating. This is the court room I practice, and these are my colleagues, the bailiffs, the clerks, these are people that know me and see me work all the time. And except for Judge Johnson, I had avoided his courtroom as a lawyer because he was a judge in my case, and he had been an outstanding judge, and I didn't want him to have to accuse himself, so I avoided him at all costs. But everybody else in the room I knew quite well. So I'm sobbing and I'm crying and I'm trying to talk but no sound is coming out, and my friend Amy is on the other side of me, and she's pointing. I have like this bullet list where you know, she pointing her fingers, like tell him this, tell you know, these are my notes, These are things I want to tell the judge. And I couldn't get it out, and I just remember looking at him, and he looked so.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 9: I had his attention. He was leaning up over the bench trying trying to hear what I was saying.
Speaker 4: Steve was like, you've got to speak up. The judge can't hear you. So finally I get out.
Speaker 9: Basically, I want you to give him as much as you can give him. Twenty years isn't enough. He's going to come back and kill me. He tried to kill me once. Please do whatever you can to keep me safe. I was like, you're the only one who can keep me safe.
Speaker 4: And the judge.
Speaker 9: Commented on the sentencing report, the defense and their arguments and said something to the effect that he's one of the most dangerous men that he's seen in his courtroom. He's had a long list of victims of before me and now me, and that if he's out of prison, he's concerned there'll be other victims to follow, and that this was going to stop, and this is going to stop today, and that he has now been sentenced to life in prison.
Speaker 4: And I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: Definitely a life changing moment for me.
Speaker 9: I didn't even hear I don't even know what happened after that. Steve took my friends and I out to lunch after because I just kept saying, Steve, I don't know, I don't understand what happened. And we sat down at lunch, and you know, Steve explained, even though it's a life sentence, he's available for parole in twenty years, because in Kentucky life doesn't mean life, it means twenty years. But at least, you know, if he had been given a twenty year sentence, it would only mean four years past. Judge Johnson gave me I guaranteed twenty years and if I show up every time he's up for parroll and talks and I can, I have the option of fighting to keep him in longer.
Speaker 4: So we left that day.
Speaker 9: I thought, finally, finally I get my life back. Finally I don't have to take a gun with me into the grocery store to the church I don't have I can actually drive with my windows down or sit on my back porch, which I've done none of those things for a year. And a few weeks later I get noticed that Morrison has filed emotion to withdraw his plea and claims that he had no idea what he was doing on that day, and you know, to speed things up for the listener. We just went into a litany of all kinds of motions and excuses, and Judge Johnson did exactly what he should have done and held all these hearings, and there was competency hearings, and again in September that year made a ruling, No, you were perfectly competent, you had capable representation. The sentence stands. So they pealed it to the Kentucky Supreme Court, who essentially came back saying, you know, I think they thought it was too much time for a kidnapping because kidnapping in Kentucky is ten to twenty. So they came back and said he either gets a new trial or twenty years. And Judge Johnson said this crime was too violent and with his history, twenty years is not enough. We're going to have a trial. And so the only reason I ever got in front of the jury was because Judge Johnson made the prosecutors go there.
Speaker 4: They were not going to do it.
Speaker 9: So then we start what I call the second trial, and there's motions and motions, and they the defense tries to get the judge removed, the defense tries to change it to a different venue. They try all types of different things, and we head into the trial, which I would say to you there was a strong probability that there would have been a not guilty verdict if it weren't for the outstanding witnesses that I had. The defense did a really good job picking me apart, picking apart my story. For example, when I was on the stand, I walked through and I told my story on cross examination. Up to that point, no one had asked me any questions about the sex abuse charges, and again I knew they weren't going to I knew the prosecutor wasn't pursuing it. And Steve had told me, he said, look, when you're on the stand, if they don't ask, you don't mention it, you'll confuse the jury because if they're not going to pursue it.
Speaker 4: You cannot make them.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm just stubborn, I guess because on Cross I decide I'm going to talk about it. And I did, and I was desperately wanting that charge because I wanted as much time as possible. I just kept thinking, the minute this guy gets out of prison, he is going to come back for me. I need as much time as I can get. So on Cross, they're saying to me things like, you know you were so traumatized that how can we really trust your opinion. You're not testifying about what really happened, You're testifying about what you were afraid might have happened. And they went on to say, how did you get to the hospital that day? And I said, well, I was taken by ambulance. And the attorney said, well, why would the state trooper testify that you drove your own car. And I said, I have no way of knowing why you would say that he was there and actually got me out of the ambulance to identify Morrison, So I don't know why he would say that. And I looked at you know, the prosecutors questioning me. His name was Keith, and I looked at him and I said, I am certain that it's in my medical records that I was taken by ambulance.
Speaker 4: So this is my clue.
Speaker 9: Like, show me the medical records so that we can take care of this problem. Because if I was on the jury, I would think this poor woman, she was so scared she doesn't even remember that she drove her own car to the hospital, like it would completely discredit me. Well, nobody cleaned it up when they got up to do redirect, didn't ask me a thing about it. So when I got off the stand, I thought I just lost the case. They're going to think that I was so that they're not going to think I'm a liar. They're going to think that I was scared and emotional and traumas and because of that, I don't remember things accurately, and they're certainly not going to put somebody in prison for a life based on that, But it's right. It's at the very bottom page one of the medical records brought in by ambulance. I don't know how much easier I could have made it for them to clean that up, but it didn't happen. But thankfully Jeff Ballard, who was on the phone with me, he was the first witness. And I don't know if your listeners are aware of this. In Kentucky, at least, when you're a victim of a crime, you don't get to hear anything that happens in the trial. You go in hearing your testimony and you leave and you don't know anything else. So I had the entire trial transcribed, which those are the transcripts I use in the book. And when I read Jeff's testimony, it was amazing. The defense kept coming at him, trying to peg away at him, and they said, well, if she was so scared, why didn't she ask you to call the police. And Jeff responded with, well, what was I going to say?
Speaker 4: Say?
Speaker 9: What I did say, which was she's somewhere in Bourbon County and someone's trying to kill her. So he did an outstanding job. Codell and Vicki Gibson, they were outstanding witnesses. In fact, when Codell was on the stand, he's telling the jury how violent it was that they saw us fighting in the car, because I was still trapped in the car when they drove by, and he shows the jury how every time I tried to get out, Morrison would yank me back in, and he did it with such enthusiasm that he ripped the shirt he was wearing and you could hear it rip. And he stopped and he said, just like that. And so it was these great witnesses that led to a jury. And again from the stand, I looked at the jury and told them, I said, you're sentencing both of us today. You're either going to sentence him to life or me, because the minute he gets out of jail, my life is over. So when you go back to delivery, you have to decide who you're going to give life to. And they did not convict them the sex abuse charge because they had no reason too. They were given no evidence, wasn't even it wasn't mentioned in opening, it wasn't mentioned in the prosecution's closing. But they did convict on the kidnapping and because of his prior history they were able to give him life. And they did, and well, they recommend it, it's just a recommendation. The judge always has final sentence in so he showed up again in front of Judge Johnson's p sentacing.
Speaker 4: Did you have a quess result?
Speaker 2: And the result?
Speaker 9: Well, I knew that the jury had recommended life, and you would think I would walk in the room fairly confident because he'd given him life before and the jury recommended life. But this is just you know, when it's your when it's your life, there's no I waside once again. I stood in front of him and I shook and I cried. And when we were before the judge walked in the room, they had us all walk up right to the bench, and there were a couple of bailiffs, the prosecutors that had been the lead, and the case wasn't there, Gordie was there, not Keith, and everybody was kind of mingling and chatting, and Morrison leans over and starts getting aggressive with me. So I just yelled at the top of my voice, are you all gonna let him do this to me? Are you gonna let him threaten me, are you gonna let him talk to me like this? And honestly, I did it loud enough, hoping the judge would hear. I wanted the judge to know that even at this moment, he is still trying to intimidate me and threaten me. So when the judge came in the room, you know, Morrison gave his plea, told the judge how he'd found Jesus and was living for everybody else now, and I gave him my plea and again told him that the only reason that I was there to speak on my own behalf was because the defendant had failed at his plan. His plan was to kill me, and that that should have been my mother standing there begging for a sentence, because I would be dead if the defendant had gotten what he wanted, and it was only because he failed that I was there. And the judge listened and again was very detailed in his sentence, and I asked him the prosecutor didn't, but I asked him if he could do anything to discourage the pro board from giving him any type of relief, that that would obviously mean the world to me. And I thanked him for letting me speak and told him that he was it's up to him that he was going to give me my life back, or there would be a date in tom certain that things would be over for me.
Speaker 4: And he again.
Speaker 9: He meant, you know, at this point he'd heard the trial, so he knew the evidence, and he knew the witness' testimony, and even the expert that the defense brought in spoke that the defendant was manipulative and calculating. And so he again sendenced him to life and said that he found him to be a threat to society and there weren't going to be any more victims after me, and he send them to life. And again I've melted.
Speaker 4: Down in the webt And two years later his appeal was.
Speaker 9: Exhausted with the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court, thankfully this time upheld it. And so I have till March of twenty twenty six to.
Speaker 4: Not have to look over my shoulder.
Speaker 2: What happened January thirtieth, two thousand and eight, Bourbon County. You tell us what your aspirations were, what happened in that.
Speaker 9: Regard January thirtieth of two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Eight, eighteen pardon me, oh, okay, that's.
Speaker 9: Okay, well, I drove to Frankfurt and filed papers to run for the Commonwealth Attorney's office. The office that prosecuted my case is were not called district attorneys in Kentucky. It's the Commonwealth attorney, right and these I ran against the men that prosecuted my case. So I filed to run against them. I called them and said, I appreciate the things that you did do, but as you know, I was horrified by the longest of things that weren't done, and I would I want to do better. I don't want anybody to have to feel the fear and desperation that I felt for so long. And before I ran, I was. I went to the courthouse and read my file and I get early on the case. Judge Johnson upped Morrison's bond.
Speaker 4: To a million dollars full cash. Nobody ever told me.
Speaker 9: I missed years of sleep thinking he could get out any day. And if I had known that, I would have I would have never planned to kill him.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't think I had to, But just little things like that, they just weren't attended to. So I filed the rhyme I campaigned. The campaign was rough because of the very people that you know were supposed to have prosecuted my case attacked me and they said I was lying about this the case. So I posted the Supreme Court ruling and said, read it for yourself, you know, read it for yourself. And I won a significant margin. And since that time, I've been running the office and we do things very differently. I'm very proud of what we do. It's very different for crime victims around here now. And what's very interesting, November eighth is the day so I won my election in November twenty eighteen. A few days after November eighth, I called Judge Johnson.
Speaker 4: I keep in mind, I.
Speaker 9: Have been in all of this man because he was an excellent judge, and I avoided him, had spent ten minutes around him all these years. But he had been our circuit judge for twelve years and then he moved up to the Court of Appeals for two years, and his election and they was the same as mine. But he lost his Court of Appeals campaign. That wasn't just a completely different ballgame. That was eleven counties as opposed to three. And I hated to see him not on the bench anymore because he is truly one of the best judges we've ever had around here. So I called there's a prosecutor named Ray Larson. He's retired now that he prosecuted for I think more than forty years. He created victim's advocacy here in Kentucky. He was given an award by the White House. He and Gale Wit are just champions for victims. So he had been a mentor to me through the campaign. So I called him November eight and I said, what do you think if I called Judge Johnson and asked him to come work with me. He said, well, if you can get him, that would be amazing, like because obviously he's going to bring gravitas to the office, a wealth of knowledge and history. And I thought, I don't have anything to pay him. He's being courted by all these big firms because they all want this Court of Appeals judge on their letterhead. So I was very nervous when I called him, and I was talking fast and giving them all these reasons why be so great for community service?
Speaker 4: And no, he's not gonna get paid anything, but wouldn't that feel great to work for the community.
Speaker 9: And he said he'd consider it, and a few days later he called me back and said he'd take the job. Then we started working together in December of eighteen and the best part of the story is November eighth of twenty nineteen, exactly a year later he proposed and we are now engaged. So I get to marry.
Speaker 4: My hero.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, incredible story.
Speaker 9: Absolutely you.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, I wanted to mention the website www own your moment dot org that may help others that you have it's important to include in your book and also real true stories. There's a film and TV development company that has a little film clip online. Tell us a little bit about if you have a website for this book, or how people might be able to contact you, your Facebook page, do any of that? Tell us how they might contact you or find more about this book.
Speaker 9: There is you can It's on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. And there's a video that a professional film company made for me and they're sharing used author page on Facebook and it's got the video with a fifty second video it's my actual nine to one one calls. It's very compelling that they can find out more about me on Facebook and on your Moment is really for people crime victims. And one of the best things I ever did was read Gavin de Becker's book, The Gift of Fear. Everybody should read that book. I have given out over one hundred copies, and I mentioned his book on my website, and on the site, I go back through and I walk there. If you read it, I walk you through the story of the second I walked out my office door until I was at the hospital, all the clues that Morrison gazed me that he was going to hurt me that I didn't see. And after I read Gavin de Becker's book The Gift of Fear, he teaches you, here are these indications that you're not safe, trust your got listen to them, and here are things you can identify. So I break that down in my story with the hope that people will read that and if they're in a situation like mine, they don't end up out on an abandoned farm with a knife in their throat, but they see it faster and they're able to stay safer earlier.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so I sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 9: I just would strongly recommend that he does an outstanding job teaching you what to look for. And then I try to break it down and a more simplified version using my story as an example.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's an incredible story. Indeed, thank you very much, Sharon. Kidnapped by a client, the incredible two story of an attorney's fight for justice, Sharon Muse, and I want to thank very much former Judge Rob Johnson had technical problems with his phone line, but thank you very much for Rob Johnson being available for this interview. Thank you very much, Sharon Muse for you kidnapped by a climate. You have a great night.
Speaker 9: Good night, yes, sir, thank you, good bye,