Speaker 1: Well, the last time we did a show, I said that there was one sad land in the notes, and I said that we would have one Sad Landing for every loss they had this year. So tell me, boys, when you open the notes to do today's podcast, how many sad Landing's are there?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I'm seeing the first one, and then right right next to it, there does appear to be a second one.
Speaker 4: That's two.
Speaker 2: Did you guys notice it? In that bad? Landon looks like he's in the backdrop of like the Joe Rogan studio with like the red curtains.
Speaker 4: It does that.
Speaker 2: The only waits the actual setting for that. So that was Landon. Who was I believe you were just like six at that point. No, you were seventeen.
Speaker 1: You were watching the selection show in eighteen when Kansas's region of death was unfailed, and you and Nick were doing a live stream where you just couldn't help but bury your face into your hands because you were convinced that if Marvin bag He didn't send your Jayhawks home, it would for sure be tom Izzo's Michigan State Spartans. At spoiler alert, neither one did. Villanova did. So that's Lala looking quite said, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would take tom Izzo's team right now, just saying I can't believe him saying that I would take tom Izzo's team. I can't wait to talk about this team.
Speaker 1: What a what a fall from grace in a week? What a difference a week can make too, sad landings, And we're not even to Christmas yet. At least Jeff Grimes is dead, right? Is that Is that something we can celebrate on this show? J Yeah, yeah, he'ssen Okay, he is so not ready to get rid of that.
Speaker 2: On the seventh day.
Speaker 1: He comes back to bull eligible. I can feel it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. On the seventh day, Jalen Daniels pulled up his raising canes apron, put in some fries, and made eight million dollars venile money to throw twenty four picks and lead Kansas to three and nine. I'm so positive right now about Kansas Athletics. If you guys couldn't tell, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well he's probably gonna be throwing the like mac level wide receivers next year.
Speaker 1: So yeah, maybe this is the year they'll beat Kansas State. Right, Surely Lucy can't pull that football out from from me this time.
Speaker 2: Never happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no way, they blows this year.
Speaker 1: That was a fluke, you know, from one rival to another. Because Bill self got off the bus and led his Jayhawks into Missouri Arena to play.
Speaker 2: Did he really know?
Speaker 1: And oh my and oh my gosh, then this happened. It was like that they watched that Creighton uh whatever you want to call it. That that game that happened that had most of us by and large saying, Okay, you're playing a team that was due to play well, and they did, and they beat you in a loud environment. You know, as long as they bounce back and take care of business, you'll feel pretty good about where they're at. And they just showed up looking like eh, Like I struggled with the effort thing for a while. I wanted to say it was more about Missouri getting Kansas rattled and playing well, which other teams do sometimes. But on the that was a game that was so much worse on the rewatch. You guys ever have those, They played bad and you rewatch part of it, so you think, Okay, maybe it wasn't as bad, Maybe it just didn't go in the basket. Stuff like that sucked so much worse on the rewatch for me, all sucked.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Agree, they didn't even get off the I think so much of it is Yeah, I think a lot of it is the It is the intensity that you expect. And like Twitter, Warriors like to think that they should bring their pitchforks and fire torches into Columbia because the teams hated each other one hundred years ago. But like, no, that definitely looked like a team that was well disinterested. I think that, Like, we've watched eighty minutes of Kansas basketball this week where they were outscored by a total of what twenty two points something, Yeah, twenty two points and they played like eight good minutes.
Speaker 2: The other seventy were awful. Yeah. I think all, like Kansas bad losses at one point or another have a run where you get hope and then that run is just completely diminished by just a terrible mid range transition jumper or if you're Kja Adams, it's ten foot floater. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then there was one. There was one that worked against him on the other end. It was it was in a lot of ways, your classic. It was the perfect Kansas the last couple of years on the road game, the deficit got a little bigger than I thought it would. If the biggest the deficit got was like fourteen, I would say that's every Kansas game on the road the last two years. But it got worse, and then it almost was all for not and then it was so here we go. This is inside the paint on rock Chok blog. Two losses in two shows. I'm Ryan Landrath, I'm double as Sad Landing Fields.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure, hey, o Towny's bookie, sign me up.
Speaker 1: Hey, he's only making two million dollars a year till he retires, sir, he could use a few bucks from what I understand. So let's talk about those Jayhawks. They went into Colombia, their second road game in as many days.
Speaker 2: And well it went like this.
Speaker 1: Oh I wanted to push the crash drop, but I have ads all over this freaking thing. There we go, We're off to a very Kansas in Columbia sort of start here. Let's let's give it a go, all right. Well, the good thing is we won't have to see that pesky number one in front of their name for probably the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: Now, Missouri seventy, now you get two of them, Number one Kansas sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Man, all right, who wants to read? Who wants to tell me what happened?
Speaker 2: I go ahead, lean and you have fun. Yeah, I'll save my rage for later.
Speaker 3: Fresh off whatever you want to call the Creighton game bad. The Jayhawks responded by putting forth one of the worst first halves in modern cool history, scoring twenty five points and turning it over just ten less times than that fifteen turnovers in the first half. That they trailed by fourteen after the break and fell behind by as many as twenty four with fourteen minutes left, seemed like they were well on their way just getting trounced. It was at that point, and a furious comeback was made as Kansas cut the deficit from twenty.
Speaker 4: Four to two with a thirty to eight.
Speaker 3: Run that I think had a lot more to do with defense and Missouri going extremely cold than Kansas, but nonetheless, with two minutes left, Missouri led to sixty five sixty three and twenty five percent. Shooter Mark Mitchell, Kansasity native Mark Mitchell hoisted a line drive three at the rim toward the end of the shot clock in a very good defensive possession. It went in and that ended the comeback hopes. Missouri wins by nine. The result was the team second loss of the week and their second court storm of the week as well. So let's just start off job by talking about what's wrong with the team. Cam take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So everyone sit down, grab a cup of coffee or tea, whatever time it is of night's let's talk Bill Self, head coach, Bill Self, hall of famer. We talk about him all the time. Great guy, great coach. He has completely butchered the start of the season and completely mismanaged this roster. Bill Self said last year, we can't do this again. Guys, we need scores. So let's go into the portal. And he goes into the portal. Kansas spends millions of dollars, millions of dollars for guys to come and play basketball. And you know what those guys aren't doing. They're not playing basketball. You get Ryland Griffin on the bench. I don't care if he is one hundred and five to side, you put him in the game. It doesn't matter. I am one more kJ Adams mid range floater that has no chance of going in away from checking into a psych ward kJ Adams could not score in a whorehouse outside of five feet It's un believable. You have a guy that went into the portal and said this won't work, guys, we can't do this anymore, and he runs it back with the same offense. You go to your biggest rival in college sports, arguably at all of college sports. This goes back to the Civil War, and you have a team of seniors that come in look completely disinterested, get fire bombed in the first half, and Bill self has his thumb up as butt, going wow, I wonder why the two non scorers aren't scoring baskets while I have scorers on the bench. Oh my gosh, All right, that's my rant. But geez man, this team blows. And by the way, if if nothing changes, no, I'm not done. If nothing changes and this team continues on the trajectory that it's on right now, they won't win anything. I don't care what anyone says. And if any mouth breathing degenerates come into our mentions on Twitter and say Hunter Dickinson was a problem. If Hunter Dickinson didn't play this game, Kansas loses by twenty five plus, He's not the problem. The problem is the rotations, and it is unbelievable. This team is the best on paper roster since ten twenty eleven, and we're watching them struggle to get out of the sixties. And yes, they'll probably be fine, and I'll look like a moron in a couple of weeks. But that's my take.
Speaker 1: I mean, basically, everything that you said there I believe has all the ingredients in place to be true, and Bill self has the opportunity all the ingredients in place to make sure.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: Because you took a team last year that struggled despite looking great on paper because a couple of the guys they were counting on to be secondary pieces it didn't work out. And you leaned on kJ, Adams, Dewan Harris and Hunter Dickinson, who all have their talents and all have their strengths, but only one as a scorer, and together making up sixty percent of your lineup the majority of the time, you leave room for a lot to be desired. You don't have a lot of shooting on the floor, you don't have a lot of athleticism on the floor. And the defense, it's fair to question, especially with Hunter and kJ and to one having his worst defensive season last year, and look what happened. They lost eleven times. They lost ten of their final twenty one games. Now you run that back.
Speaker 4: And you go go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, also in after the game, Bill just come down off the cross from you man, quit being a preacher. Your team knows. The whole thing with Bill self is it takes time for him to develop to develop trust in his players. But when you're watching your team getting boat raced in a rivalry game and you have a guy on the floor that doesn't bring offense to the table, what do you else do you need to see? Did you guys see the quote? After the game, He's like, I know in theory who the best players are, you know, and who should be starting? But I have who shouldn't start? In theory?
Speaker 1: Who are five starters should be? But I haven't seen it in practice yet?
Speaker 4: But what are you like?
Speaker 2: What do you need to see? Like? I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's an amazing coach, but Lord, clearly that quote is directed at Ryland Griffin and aj Store.
Speaker 2: Those are the two guys.
Speaker 1: That were in the starting lineup in the first three games of the year, at least one of them was, and now they're not. And Ryland Griffin, as you mentioned, when Kansas is trying to make a comeback, can't get his warmups off. Aj Store couldn't play until the team was completely buried. And I mean, I know he didn't look good at all in the second half, but man, it would have been nice to see what it would have looked like had he gotten a chance in the first half to get his feet wet. You bring in these guys. Aj Store is a million dollar nil player. Ryland Griffin, I'm sure got a nice check and a hundred decads and is two million. I can't imagine that the donors and it's not like that's all that matters. I can't imagine that they're pleased with what's come as a result of their investments. And yeah, you're right about Bill self. Bill selfa doesn't have to prove anything to us. He's a Hall of Famer and he's the best coach in the history of Kansas basketball. But it is really interesting that you're seeing him build back to back years the number one team on paper in the transfer portal and struggled to get the most out of it that we saw him through thirty five games last year, it didn't work very well.
Speaker 2: This year, a whole whole lot of runway in front of them.
Speaker 1: They could go thirty for their next thirty three and it wouldn't surprise me at all. But there's land and I'm assuming that as I'll pass the hot potato to you.
Speaker 2: The point that you have.
Speaker 1: Tried to make is they may be better on paper, they may be better at the end of the year, but to this point, the problems that doomed them last year that they vowed to fix are the exact same things that are holding them back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do think that is the case.
Speaker 3: Not to be bill self and stutter my words, but I agree that that is my take. Now, this year's team does have like three to four Nick Timberlakes as opposed to last year, which had like two, one of them being Johnny Furfy who kind of worked.
Speaker 4: So they have more darts to throw.
Speaker 3: If you will, more spins of the roulette wheel to get right and wrong. Yeah, But to to Cam's point, the portaling has not worked yet, and that's been I think so noticeable in the last two games is that the chemistry, particularly on offense, is once they get into a bind, it goes out the window. Like once they get behind the eight ball. Once the opponent takes a little bit of control and puts Kansas in a bad spot or on a spot where they need to start scoring, being forced to score to stay in the game, it just becomes like one pass, dribble dribble shot. It becos it becomes very rudimentary ISO offense with not really anyone that can do that at a high level. It's not even that they're getting horrible shots all the time. And in this game against Missouri, I do think they had a fair amount of open looks that just bricked. But nonetheless, like the offense just becomes completely nothing and it doesn't look like these guys have played together because they have it, And I think that's a huge problem.
Speaker 4: With a very portal.
Speaker 3: Built roster in the last two years, that's a huge, huge reason they had the problems they had last year. Obviously got some unlucky as well with the way that roster ended up.
Speaker 1: Being well, it kind of reminds me a little bit. It kind of reminds me a little bit of like whenever you watch an NFL team like the Derrick Henry Titans, or ironically the Derrick Henry Ravens and that like, whenever they are forced to play from behind, they're a completely different team than when they can dictate the style. If they can they can quickly enforce. If they can quickly establish what they want to do, and in Kansas's case, that is feeding the post, getting Hunter to work, getting kJ to work, and building a lead and playing from ahead at Allen Field House, then they're really really hard to keep up with. But the same thing, we've watched this team go on the road. They're three and ten on the road now in the last two years, and they fall behind in almost all of those losses. They've gotten off to horrible starts, and they here comes that that old reliable but not it doesn't have a nitrous sort of clunker coming behind you.
Speaker 2: That's just not gonna roar back from.
Speaker 1: Big deficits two points out of time.
Speaker 2: This team is kind of the way I view it. This team, on paper is the best roster I think, arguably since probably twenty ten, twenty eleven. But I almost wonder if if it's a thing with the portal two of like some of these guys don't know what it means to play for Kansas. Bill self has had his best teams where guys developing his system for years. I mean, the twenty twenty two team had seniors, and obviously it was even even someone like friend for Schilla, who's an imbecile and is insufferable to listen to you mentioned on the telecast. He was like, well, you know, Dwan Harris is a great point guard, but you know you have guys. He needs someone like Christian Brown, oh Chai baj around him, and it just doesn't work the way it is. But I also wonder, like if these guys coming in from the portal, you know, it's just not one and they're not playing much in two. It's just I don't know, it just doesn't seem like a great fit. And yes, this team probably will be fine. It's it's this is like a meltdown pod. But it's just frustrating to watch.
Speaker 1: Call your shot. What happens to this team. I'm gonna start and say that they will be just fine. I think that they end the regular season twenty nine wins and five losses entering the Big Entering the NCAA Tournament, I think that they will be not just fine, but they will be one of the three best teams in college basketball.
Speaker 2: I think Bill Sell figures it out.
Speaker 1: I'm betting on what I've seen, what twenty one years of sample size, he's figured it out and become a one or a two seed in all those years except for like four, odds are in my favor.
Speaker 2: I'll say that. What say you?
Speaker 4: Oh, what's that music in the background? I know this one? That's round of thirty two? Loss?
Speaker 2: Yeah your prediction? Yep? Oh please what seed? Four?
Speaker 4: Three?
Speaker 2: No? No? My okay? I I actually yeah, I hate doing these. I know someone out there of our five listeners is gonna remember this. But I think they get a one seed and I also think they lose in the round of thirty two. Boy ouch.
Speaker 1: But if that happens, I could also see if they don't make the second weekend, Hunter Dickinson will be probably the the the least favorably remembered Jayhawk in the self era.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My dad, who's like a lifelong Kansas fan. Yeah, yeah, well he's gonna drop fourteen and uh, Kansas Twitter is gonna be like, oh, Hunter Dickinson, really, what's down today? Meanwhile, we see Raylan Griffin buried on the bench with a box of chocolate next to him. He's munching out of because bill selves looking at him like, oh, you didn't guard yesterday in the shoot around. Huh?
Speaker 1: kJ has four and three and twenty eight minutes.
Speaker 2: All right? Yeah. By the way, the biggest insult to injury was him putting Ryland Griffin in with one minute to go in the Missouri comes. What the hell was that?
Speaker 1: Like, Like, it's like you realized, oh, now we could use some scoring here, so go get them Ryland.
Speaker 2: They believe the three porto three. Why do you put him in in the middle of the second half. Unbelievable. I'm a jerk on a podcast and I know this. It was here.
Speaker 1: Here's here's a couple of stats. Uh, that'll that'll really epitomize the pain of this game. The stats show that Kansas made two more baskets than Missouri and actually finished plus twelve on threes. In the last couple of years, whenever they get railed on the road, we've gotten on the on this microphone and said, wow, they were outscored by twenty binds from the three point line. Well, this time they were plus double digits on threes and still lost. Typically such figures resulting wins, but amazing on a night when they committed twenty two turnovers, including fifteen of them in the first half, and they were a minus seventeen at the free throw line.
Speaker 2: It was not meant to be the turnovers.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you two things here, Landa, then tell me about where you can tell me this next stat which I think we definitely need to get into. I'm not concerned about the turnovers. I'll get that out right now. This is a team that had been very protective of the ball in their first eight games. They get into a setting that's loud. Missouri is an athletic turnover forcing team. They had a horrendous half in a horrible environment. I'm cool with that, And by cool with I'm not concerned. It's gonna be a long term problem. But not getting to the free throw line and being a minus seventeen at the line, when you are the team that wants to play ground and pound basketball, that's a huge problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this other stat gets at this as well. I didn't know this. This is pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: Now nine games in, Kansas is getting sixty one percent of its points from twos, which is fifth in the country, fifth nationally. They're getting twenty seven percent of their points from three, which is two hundred and eighty seventh in the country, so little bit worse or you know, like dog crap worse.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And they're getting to twelve percent of their points off of free throws, which is bottom ten in all of college basketball.
Speaker 4: So uh, which one of these is not?
Speaker 1: Like the problem right there? That's the problem. We have gotten on this radio or whatever you want to call it radio. We've gotten on this this equipment and said, hundred Dickenson gets a bad whistle, he should get more calls. That'll work for a few games. Well it's been almost forty games now of Hunter Dickinson, and wow, he cannot He he doesn't get to the free throw line. He's a seven foot two, bruising power forward or bruising center, cruising.
Speaker 4: But he should be.
Speaker 2: He's like, like, how does this guy not get to the free throw line more?
Speaker 4: He does?
Speaker 2: I think he? I think he goes away from contact a bit, a bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd say, I'm looking up his I mean he.
Speaker 2: Also I think it's bad whistles Nigginson.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to find in Michigan if he was just not a guy that got to the free throw line, like at all he averaged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his free throw nup. I don't remember him doing that.
Speaker 1: He got to the free throw line five times a game in twenty twenty three at Michigan, and it was barely three last year at Kansas, and it's less than three so far this year, so a little more. But he wasn't Zach Edy or even in the same galaxy as that. Like, if you're gonna play this style, kJ Adams and Hunter Nigginson have got to get to.
Speaker 2: The free throw line.
Speaker 1: They have to get to the free throw line because that's where you can make up some of those points. You want to make more twos than threes. As long as you're elite at getting those twos.
Speaker 2: It can work.
Speaker 1: But you gotta get the plus ones some of the time to try to make up that gap a little bit. Otherwise, Boy, this is gonna stun you. They're gonna lose whenever they play a hot three point shooting team and they can't keep up.
Speaker 2: How many times have we seen that?
Speaker 4: Oh many? Infinite?
Speaker 2: Man? Once?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm telling about Hunter Dickinson.
Speaker 2: This is interesting. I had people on Twitter saying he was the.
Speaker 1: Reason they lost. He was kind of their biggest problem. In the worst the same game, and he was also their best aspect in the part that went well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was Kansas leader in pretty much all categories, both good and bad. He had nineteen points, fourteen rebounds for assists, and four blocks on eight for fifteen and thirty four minutes. He also had four files and seven turnovers. He was a huge problem in the first half and arguably the biggest reason they even got close in the second. What are your guys' takeaway Landon.
Speaker 1: I'm curious for your thoughts because I'll tell you that I'm not gonna blame the guy that got nineteen fourteen, four and four for the loss. He wasn't perfect, but geez, what do you think happens if he's did you watch Flory? Did you see Flory try to play defense in this game? Like you think it would have been worse with that Hunter, it would have been a lot worse.
Speaker 4: I do agree.
Speaker 3: I have developed this take. I told you the guys this before the show when we were just on the call getting ready. I think Hunter Dickinson is a floor setter, not a ceiling razor. I absolutely agree with what Cam was saying earlier that if you take Hunter Dickinson off this team.
Speaker 4: They are terrible.
Speaker 3: We saw that last year in the couple games that he missed, which wasn't many, maybe he only missed one even but regardless, Like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: That Cincinnati t Mobile Center game was so much fun. They only lost by twenty and I think you picked them to win that game too. Of course I did with my clown hair and my clown nose, Like, oh, look, it's the game that Nick Timberlake comes out from the ashes.
Speaker 1: They will fire, they will be fired up to win in front of a hometown crowd.
Speaker 2: The Cincinnati sucks.
Speaker 1: And then what happened, They got absolutely railed, and.
Speaker 3: That is that would have happened here. I mean they were losing by twenty four with him. But like, if you take hundred Dickinson off this team, like they are so so much worse. But like at a certain point, you have to like look at what your eyes are telling you and what the results are telling you, and that Hunter Dickinson is not a guy that is going to lead you to wins. Like there's only so many games that he can play where they lose like this where you have to kind of save yourself Huh. Maybe Hunter Dickinson isn't a guy that's gonna carry Kansas to big wins against good teams or in tough environments, and that so far has been the case. That's not to say he hasn't had brilliant performances. He absolutely has, and he has been key reasons why they've won certain games. But for the team and for this player, I think he sets a really high a pretty high floor for Kansas and that he's not gonna let the bottom drop out on them.
Speaker 4: But at least so far, he's not been the reason they've won much.
Speaker 1: Yeap, And you said, cam h if you had told me that a hundred Dickinson would be a floor setter and not a ceiling raizer, which I think Landon's completely right on, I would have said that may have been a good thing at the beginning of his tenure because I would thought that that sets a floor higher than any team's floor in college basketball. But I'm now seeing what that means. That means the opposite. That means the floor is very very low. If you can have a guy get nineteen fourteen, four and four and they still, as you said, can't get out of the sixties against.
Speaker 2: The top fifty ish Ken Palm team. Yeah, and Missouri. Honestly, this is the other thing that's just mind boggling. I don't think Missouri is that good. But congrats Bill, you just gave him a quad one win and they'll probably make the NCAA tournament. But no, Hunter Dickinson is He's not the problem. The problem is if he has a game where like we saw against Creighton, if he's shut down and he can't score and they're forcing it out of his hands. If kJ Adams continues to play a thirty plus minutes a game, then it becomes an issue of who's gonna put the ball in the hoop? And I look, if there's one coach you want to figure this out, its Bill self, and he probably will. We've seen it time and time again. Last year he didn't have as many options on the team, and the options that he did have fell completely flat. So yes, I do think they they probably will be fine. I don't think Hunter Dickinson is the problem, But yeah, I think the take on the him being kind of the floor setter for the team is actually one of the best takes I've I've heard this season.
Speaker 1: Well, and you say that if he's not going to put the ball in the basket, who else was aj Store tried. He did his best to will Kansas back in the second half, but it went badly. He was one for seven from the floor in eighteen minutes for two points. He seems like the guy that you need a leader. You need to give me the ball and let me make plays.
Speaker 2: Guy. I think he can be it.
Speaker 1: In order for him to be successful, he's got to play in the first freaking half and have a chance to get going before you're down by twenty in Missouri Arena.
Speaker 2: Yah boo, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: He racked out there. You let a high level transfer playing the first half of a road game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're transfer portal. Like, if you're a transfer portal guy, why would you go to Kansas right now? Other than mar the fact you're playing for Hall of Fame coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's and Columbia.
Speaker 2: You learned life lessons on the bench sitting next to Zach Florence while he's picking his nose or Zach Clemens. Ah all the store does Shack Moore, Bill Bill put in a lineup with Zach Clements, Hunter Dickinson, and kJ Adams before he put Ryland Griffin on the floor, like what do we do?
Speaker 1: We trust something something trust. Store racked up four fouls, putting him at one foul per seven minutes of play. Last year he barely averaged one foul per game in twenty eight minutes at Wisconsin, So this is very different. I think self has AJ Store all sorts of messed up, and I think that's.
Speaker 2: Probably is needed. I don't think. I think Bill Selp needs a J Store, and he may he does a little too much.
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm here.
Speaker 2: This is a trade wreck of a podcast.
Speaker 3: It's quite familiar to me as well. Place it Wait, I know, let me google. Oh yeah, it's it's Nick Timberlake's music.
Speaker 4: Shout and on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Their biggest transfer is a colossal disappointment. But Timberlake got chances. He just bricked everything store. I I think store style of play. He needs to be involved early. He needs to be involved with the feel of the game. And he's a guy that gets better as the game goes along. So if you wait to throw him out there until you're down twenty, I don't think it's gonna go real.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Storre's gotta start enough with the with the trust be seriously enough, you have to start him one of your five best players.
Speaker 2: If you want to do anything, he has to be in the game. I mean, if you're paying a tree, if you're paying a guy nil n I l money to just sit on the bench and you know, put fries in a bag. That's basically Jalen Daniels. But yeah, I mean like you gotta go, you gotta play him, and he went from being like he was arguably he was the guy or one of the the guys at Wisconsin. I think part of it might be a confidence thing as well. He'll be fine. I assume he's going to play more, and yeah, he probably will start. I would assume self will do that at some point.
Speaker 4: It's almost like you should.
Speaker 3: He hasn't around how they fit together and not just take theoretically players and smash them together like action figures on a court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what you do in NBA two K.
Speaker 1: Whenever you're building this, I was just gonna say, grab a bunch of nineties and like, oh, this team should should.
Speaker 2: Be world beaters and it doesn't always work. Storres I signed Chamberlains. How will it work?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 1: You go but somebody's got to dribble a ball at the court. Oh not an NBA two k It don't matter. I'll just I'll just have them all run to the rim and dunk. Yeah, this is not how that works. And I love putting teams together Madden Style eight, but no, it's not working for Kansas.
Speaker 2: And Store hasn't been great.
Speaker 1: Store hasn't given Bill self a lot of reasons to say, you know what, go out there and play thirty minutes, mainly because he foul out in the first damn half. At this rate, he can't stop fouling people, and he hasn't been very good on defense, but he's an eighty percent foul shooter. He is your best guy when it comes to drawing contact. He is your best guy when it comes to going to the basket and trying to get you to points. That way, if you're not gonna give it a hunter, your second best shot for points is to let aj Store shoot the ball. And whenever you are scoring twenty five points and a half, Store played three minutes in the first half. Ryland Griffin got a stupid weak ass flagrant and didn't play until garbage time.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: How can you be surprised that you're not getting out of sixties whenever you're taking those two guys. I'm not saying you're gonna win every game with those guys, but you have our best chance of scoring more enough to get past that comeback mark. You gotta play them. It's it's and we're gonna talk about kJ, and I mean we'll go and throw that out there. kJ had eleven and four and thirty two minutes. I will give him some flowers. With his free throws, he was five or five at the line. He's been a lot better at that this year, seventy six percent. I believe he leads the team and free throws taken, which tells you a lot about how well this season is going. But kJ can't play thirty two minutes. If aj Store and Ryland Griffin are gonna combine for less than that, that cannot happen.
Speaker 2: Trust be damn. You have to put your shooters in the game. That is like, if you could foreshadow right now to how this team will lose in the NCAA Tournament, it's going to be with aj Store, Ryland Griffin buried on the bench somewhere. kJ thirty four minutes and just no, they're not gonna break this. There'll be somewhere between fifty five and sixty four points. Land, and tell me.
Speaker 1: About David Koy, because I feel like we should just kind of throw everybody into the ring and then we can kind of pick who we want to talk about. We've talked about who was bad. There were guys in this game that were good.
Speaker 4: Koit was one of those. Coit was actually not bad. You're in the start.
Speaker 3: Made four threes to help the comeback, including one to cut it to three pretty late. I finish fourteen points, was four to seven from three to twenty six minutes. Zeke Mayo not quite that productive match is four points with four turnovers in twenty six minutes where he only took six shots. Ryland Griffin, as has been mentioned many times, play just thirteen minutes, made his only three. He missed one right at the end, I believe, so he's like one of two maybe. Nonetheless, it was his foot was on the line.
Speaker 1: Officially, those were his only two shots of the game.
Speaker 2: He was once so crazy.
Speaker 4: Uh, it doesn't make any sense either.
Speaker 3: As we've been discussing what is happening with the guard play here koit Koit was genuinely like, alright, he was quietly maybe their best player. Uh, but like, what is actually happening here? Zeke Mayo has been a massive disappointment also in the last several games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna ask you that, Land, and this is a question for you because because you you and I both you let right the second coming of Devonte Graham, right, yeah, after two games, and now you have the last seven games where he shot about twenty six percent on threes since halftime of the North Carolina game. It might actually be lower than that. That may include the three for North Carolina. Good team the way, great win. Yeah, yeah, that's Can you imagine if they had lost that one considering North Carolinas barely and I do mean barely five hundred and we're almost at Christmas h Zeke Mayo, though, Like, uh, I'm gonna say a take that I don't believe, but I saw it on Twitter, and I want to see what you would say in response to it. There's a reason he was at South Dakota State for four years, and he looks a little bit overwhelmed and outmatched by Big twelve and Power five major talent.
Speaker 4: Uh. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if that has like a little to do with it, But that doesn't feel like you can kind of you can tell sometimes when guys are frazzled, or they're playing too fast, or they're playing they're trying to punch above their weight, and I don't get that feel. That's remarkably anecdotal, as so many things on this show are, I guess, but like, I don't get the feel that that's the case. But maybe that has something to do with it. It's possible, I guess I can be surprised.
Speaker 1: Cam here's my take. I do not believe that's the case. I think Zeke Mayo is truly guy who is figuring out exactly how the speed of the game works here because we've seen several times where we're all screaming to pull up from three, and undoubtedly he would have at South Dakota State Big Twelve. He thinks, maybe I don't have as much time to get this, these guys will have faster closing out. I think he will get it and be a really good player come Big twelve time. I'm way more comfortable with where Zeke Mayo is at than I am with where aj Store is at. Also, by the way, Zeke Mao is shooting nineteen percent on three since halftime of the North Carolina game was more than a month ago, so they need him to be better. I don't know, I Store, I'm legitimately worried about ever finding his identity on this roster.
Speaker 2: I think Zeke Mayo will be just fine. Yeah, I kind of. I'm in that camp with you as well, I Zeke Mayo. It's an interesting it's interesting to think about him in terms of his athleticism. I don't think it's an issue of athleticism. I mean, he is so quick. He can create his own shot. We've seen it. I've noticed he's turned it over a little bit more recently, and then obviously the shots aren't falling. I think you'll figure it out. And I also think part of this, too, just goes back to the fact that these guys haven't played with each other that long. I mean, this is transfer portal classes are, It's it's just such a different time for college basketball. And that's why I still have hope they'll be They'll figure it out. And again, if you have one guy to do it, you have the head coach to do it. Pardon my microwave. IM not cooking the pressure bomb in here allegedly, But yeah, I mean they'll be fine. And I also disagree with Landa. I think our show is not anecdotal and evidence. My statement saying kJ Adams couldn't score in a whorehouse has been backed up by scientific peer review data. So this is a very well published podcast.
Speaker 1: Here's a Ryland Griffin trend for you, and it's bad. Played thirty two minutes against Michigan State. Kansas has played six games since. His minutes have gone down in all six. First game after Michigan State, you could say, okay, he only played twenty one minutes that day, but he made three threes. That was the season high end points. All right, we're happy with that. Next game twenty one minutes against U and C. Wilmington, Duke seventeen minutes, Furman sixteen minutes, Missouri thirteen minutes. You're going straight downward. This is a guy who needs to be out there. He's shooting thirty seven percent on threes.
Speaker 2: He's your best three point shooter.
Speaker 1: You've been behind almost all of the eighty minutes in the last two games.
Speaker 2: I know he didn't play it well.
Speaker 3: Ryan, you gotta you gotta just understand that that Ryland good kid, but uh just he doesn't It doesn't defend.
Speaker 2: The way we need him to. Ryan, and I thought we were past this Bill. I thought Nic Timberlake, it was a it.
Speaker 1: Was a mid major guy, all right, And then you had guys that we were Brandon Green was an idiot even though he made three.
Speaker 2: But this, this is a guy that started on a Final four team last year.
Speaker 1: I thought he was, yeah, marked safe like on Facebook where you mark safe from hurricanes, mark safe from a potential Bill selfing. I thought that, like he would be a staple and Self started him in the exhibition games, and I thought, oh my gosh, this is gonna be the most fun three point shooting season we've ever seen. He can't get off the off the bench, and I'm not what he's not bad when he's out there.
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Are we really benching him because of practice?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 2: Bill Self is turning into Tom Izzo, and I'm not okay with it. Oh I don't need that. I don't need that at all. I know you.
Speaker 4: But the difference is that Bill has two titles within memory.
Speaker 2: That that is correct. And also if if tom Izzo wins the title this year, somehow, I probably will never come back on the show and there'll probably be people after this episode that will want that. So that's fine.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine, like, how different is everything we're talking about if Kansas, I hate the hypothetical Carolina, like if they if they don't beat North Carolina in the championship game and they lose that game by ten and at that at this point, the streak of tournament losses by the X amount of points lives on for another a year, and Self still sitting on one title that's sixteen years ago at this point, and you're looking at.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it feels very different. I think that twenty two titles, which also that's how it works. Titles buy you a grace period. But I think, yeah, my take on Bill self is they're going to lose two of the first six games at Allen Field House in November after he retires, and you're one of Jeremy Case.
Speaker 2: And fans are.
Speaker 1: Gonna be like, oh my gosh, we had it so great with Bill self. If people call him wash, that's a take I'm.
Speaker 2: Not there at all.
Speaker 4: But it'll be the land Bower effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: He'll be in Kansas, will be very good that year, but not up to Bill self standards, and it will be apparent. But Self's got to show something with the transfer portal. He's gotten the roster on paper. Some players we don't have to say much about. Dwan Harris had thirteen points, five of fourteen from the floor, five assists, three turnovers in thirty eight minutes the two games this week. He took thirty eight shots against Creighton and Missouri. Not a recipe to get it done for Kansas, as the two l's suggest. Floria Badoonga made free throw in seven seven otherwise worthless minutes where he made Kansas fans long for Hunter Dickinson's defense, and that's that's true.
Speaker 2: He was awful.
Speaker 1: I wondered if Kansas would use him and Dickinson together to counter some of Missouri's athleticism and size, and that didn't work at all. Zach clements and Ricky's passmore did nothing. They got three minutes each. And I will give credit to Missouri. That was an awesome court storm. Even Bill self said that was an awesome storm. Dennis Gates. Dennis Gates knew it was coming too, because he called the time out and said, say, you guys.
Speaker 2: Might want to leave that this is not gonna end well.
Speaker 1: If Hunter Dickinson's standing at center court when the suited some running on the floor.
Speaker 2: Hunter Dickinson's head would have been on a stake like Benito Mussolini's after World War Two if they didn't get them off the court.
Speaker 1: What do we think of Missouri is that I think they're better than we thought they would be. I think they're a friends tournament team. That was a that was a great win for him because the rest of their non con schedule sucks.
Speaker 2: They had to have that one.
Speaker 3: I'll say it this year there'll be a turnhout too. I think Miszoo will get to at least twenty wins this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you think they're a lot better Mark Mitchell's ugly toping shot that went down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Yea the se season gauntlet. Uh, well, we'll see. We'll see how they do.
Speaker 1: H forty percent from the floor, thirty five percent from three, eighty two percent from the line, and plus eleven on the glass. Those should be wins against just about anybody, but the offensive rebounding that was a problem against Creighton. Kansas did get sixteen of its thirty eight misses back in this game, so that was better, But they had twenty two turnovers.
Speaker 2: That's what sunk them. They couldn't. I mean just just that. I think a D.
Speaker 1: Plus first half and Kansas probably wins that game. Instead, they had an F minus first half, and it was just a little bit too much for them to come back. Almost the biggest comeback in school history would have been by six points. I think they their biggest comeback ever is eighteen against Missouri or nineteen against Missouri. They were down twenty four, so it would have been five points better than that. Any lasting takeaways from this game, here's mine. Two games, two losses.
Speaker 2: A horrible week.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm at this point my eyeballs that I've talked about this team for ten years. I don't see a lot of answers to the questions in the short term. But they have a coach that I trust to figure it out quicker than I otherwise thought it was possible. So I still think they're They're the favorite in the Big Twelve, and I still think they're gonna win thirty games this year. But I can see all the riding and the stars telling me, did you see last year? This is just let this is just more depth on an otherwise similar problem, because the fundamental fit around three non shooters is really really tough to make up for, and self's not playing the guys that would help you best make up for that.
Speaker 2: What say you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I think you're staring down the barrel at a very slightly better version of last year's team, potentially now obviously plenty of time to figure that out. I do think they're deeper and theoretically more talented than they were last year.
Speaker 4: That can go a long way. But I these two losses are exactly two losses.
Speaker 1: They would have taken last year, Like and man, oh yeah, I skipped over that, by the way, I skipped over that, by the way. Their last nine road games l l L L L win at Porter Moosers Oklahoma team l L L, and they have gotten slammed more often than not in those games. The Houston game last year they lost by thirty.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Creighton game was never a contest. They went down big against who railed them last year on the road where we were just like, I can't believe I'm watching this. I who was multiple teams and obviously Missouri built a huge lead on Oh it was Texas Tech. That game in Lubbock was just a roadkill in the making game, like they have gotten steamrolled more often than they've even been in a game.
Speaker 2: At the end, let alone won it.
Speaker 4: Cam.
Speaker 1: What are your final thoughts from Kansas going into Columbia and losing to oh for It?
Speaker 2: Because you know we love it so much? They earned this right there we go? Yeah, yeah, pretty bad week overall dump of a week. Team will figure it out. Speaking of dumps, here's your random fact of the week on it t P. Did you guys know that when bears get ready to hibernate for the winter, they eat up a bunch of sticks so they can't poop, and then when they wake up from hibernation they take a really painful deuce and that's probably why they're really mad. Really, you could have just made that up, And I'm nodding my head like sticks. Wouldn't eating sticks potentially cause problems like that? Well, it plugs up their body, Yeah, it plugs up their got to get there first, correct, It's a bear. I mean they're they're mad for a reason. Have you ever seen a bear that wakes up from hibernation?
Speaker 4: I know because I.
Speaker 1: Don't live I don't live where Landing once, which is the middle of Montana.
Speaker 2: But no, not they're mad. They're they're mad because they know they know a poop is coming. Are our boy at Wayne at Wayne Kerr. It's not actually at Wayne Kerr, but I'm gonna call him at Wayne.
Speaker 1: Kerr has a asked RCB about the bears, and he's also mad because of the bears, just.
Speaker 2: A different, different question. So we will get there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, two games two L's two sad Landing's hopefully, uh, hopefully we got we have some time before that.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what, you know what, I was wrong. I I just fact checked myself. They don't eat sticks, but they do eat a variety of materials in the weeks leading up to hibernation to make a fecal plug, so I was kind of correct.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say this, this sticks sound like they could cause a lot of problems going down, So I'm gonna essentially.
Speaker 2: Just because their bears doesn't mean I guarantee you a bear who sticks. I guarantee you. Yeah, they're like twigs. I guarantee you. A bear at one point or another in society has gone. You know what things are rough? I'm a bear. I'm gonna eat a stick and they probably ate a stick and they woke up mad then slaughtered a village of small children in West Africa or wherever. It's how work the greatest film of the Yeah, wherever Bear's life. If National Geographic ever wants a on field reporter, I'll do it. You're down, all right? All right?
Speaker 1: Well, as we get into Big Twelve games, guys, I know that you're sad about the Jayhawks, but I have something that will make your week so much better.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Big Twelve came out of their battle with the Big East as victors six.
Speaker 2: Wins to five. Oklahoma State vs.
Speaker 1: Seaton Hall was the deciding game and the Cowboys came out with a victory for the Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the now it doesn't feel better. No, And that's like a preview of the first round of the CBI Invitational at the end of the season.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, there are two horrible teams, but the Big Twelve did get a win. Now, can we be forever done with this big East battle. It is so not interesting.
Speaker 4: Deeply boring stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ever since Kyle Neptune ruined Villanova, it sucks. Also deeply boring.
Speaker 1: Landon is Kansas State and Coleman Hawkins. They're two million dollar man. Tell me all about their fun week.
Speaker 3: Boring unless you hate k State, which some among us do. They got smashed eighty eight seventy one on the road at Saint John's for their third loss of the young season. Their six wins are Wait for this gauntlet schedule, folks, you'll be impressed. New Orleans, Cleveland State, Mississippi Valley State, George Washington, the President, not the school Longwood insert joke here, emphasis on insert and Arkansas Pine Bluff. Former Jayhawk Zuobi Edgy four had twenty eight and thirteen in The wild Cat's Lost cam or the Wildcats bad?
Speaker 4: Do they suck?
Speaker 2: I actually think they are bad. Maybe it's just a I think they're not good. I don't see it. I don't think that The roster jels and we joke about we talk about Kansas roster not jelling. If if you're losing, just gonna say easy, yeah, if you're I I.
Speaker 1: Think Kansas State's problems are similar to Kansas Is, just on a much less talented scale because they have not enough to as it could be good on paper they have. They had a great uh, Doug McDaniel was really good at Michigan. Coleman Hawkins was really good at Illinois, and yet somehow it just doesn't Gell Coleman Hawkins is making as much as Hunter Dickinson this year and he's our fourth leading scorer, Like, and boy, that's gonna get the donors.
Speaker 2: That's gonna get that. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: I loved Kansas State's roster, but it's just not getting the results.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that sounds familiar.
Speaker 1: Kansas State hasn't been very good since, said Jerome Tang had that weird postgame press where he said that Taman Lipsey's the biggest flopper in the Big twelve. They've been really bad since that's too bad. The only thing I can think of them doing since that game was Jerome Tang showing up the young lady who was mopping the floor at the T Mobile Center and showing her how to do it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was so tech, that was so cringey.
Speaker 1: Well, Jerome Tang might be a loser, cam, but there were plenty of other Big Twelve losers to go around this week.
Speaker 2: Tell me about them. Yeah, Utah lost to Oh Saint Mary at home. Uh, Texas Tech, thank you Tech. Texas Tech lost by five to number twenty two Texas A and M on a neutral floor. TCU lost to Vanderbilt. I'm the same years for floor in the next game. Guys. Is this league extremely overrated and mid landon seems that way early on?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Kind of.
Speaker 1: Iowa State has been the only team that has come close to their preseason expectations thus far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, pretty much nailed it.
Speaker 1: Baylor's been disappointing, Houston's got three losses. Kansas State has been a disaster, Arizona has been a disaster times five.
Speaker 2: Kansas has had a.
Speaker 1: Horrible week after a good start. Like Yeah, the Big Twelve has been pretty disappointing, but it might be better next year because BYU got the number one overall recruit. That's right, the Mormons, they got the number one recruit. A. J. T. Bonsta announced that he will give up doctor Pepper, mild obscenities and sexual intercourse for his one year while he cashes checks and hoops with the Mormons. I was about to keep reading, but I will stop because somehow what I just said was not nearly as bad as what Cam has written. But yes, Cam, you are correct, it is it. He will he will stand out on their campus. To say the least. I've heard that the starting lineup next year is Debonsta, Dallan, Dallen, Dallen.
Speaker 2: And Dallen. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, I have been able to go to heaven according to Mormon theology as of nineteen sixty something.
Speaker 2: Wait, what that's something? Hey?
Speaker 1: Really Whenever he said, they asked him why does he want to go there? And he's like, well, the culture's great and the school's great.
Speaker 2: No, Bud, it's just money.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to say money like the reason gidding's theirs. And that's fine, totally cool if that's what you're doing at this point, but let's not act like that. That was like, that's not the big reason North Carolina and Kansas lost out to BYU.
Speaker 2: And a basketball recruit. That's interesting, right, teams? Oh no, we still have to do other games, the non Big twelve games. We forget that they exist.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the best game of the week and probably the best win of the week was in Seattle, as number four Kentucky shook off a sixteen point halftime deficit like it was nothing.
Speaker 2: See bill.
Speaker 1: Sometimes teams can come back to force overtime with number seven Gonzaga, and they wound up taking down the Bulldogs ninety to eighty nine and a great basketball game. Gonzaga had a chance to win with four seconds left, they didn't get a shot off. They turned the ball over. Mark Pope out coached Mark Few and Andrew Carr scored nineteen points as the Wildcats now have two signature wins thus far in the young season. Really nice win for Kentucky. I know that that Gonzaga already has wins over Baylor and who else they beat. They just beat somebody else that was pretty good the other day.
Speaker 2: Who they beat it was? It was Baylor and who Indiana? I guess if you want to count.
Speaker 1: But they're getting ready to speaking of Bears hybernating for two and a half months, they're getting ready to do that by playing WCC games until the tournament. So maybe one see chance is already over with this loss, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Disappointing for Gonzaga.
Speaker 4: They should have won Kentucky's kind of good.
Speaker 3: I know they lost to Clemson and the sec Is Gauntlet, but I think Kentucky's a little better than maybe they were.
Speaker 4: Expected to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark Pope coacher than we expected him to be. Yep, that's why.
Speaker 3: Number five Marquette predictably beat number eleven Wisconsin eighty eight seventy four behind thirty two points from Cam Jones. Who's the best guard in America. I actually have no way to know if that's true. That's what Ryan's probably true based on thirty two points. Shaka Smart has more hair now than he ever has.
Speaker 4: I have to google this in a minute since I've seen the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his hair is he's reverse aging. It's it's interesting like Bosley and and Rogane and everything, or just just I don't know. I don't know what his secrets are. Maybe having a lot of money is his secret to having his hair come back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are we in Shaka with hair or Shaka No Hair camp? Which which one are we subscribing to him?
Speaker 1: I think the Shaka with hair because oh see no hair beat I I I that was the worst day of my Kansas fandom watching shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shaka with no hair? I can't say that. I just say, his nose looks funny with no hair, like it's more pronounced. He looks like a muppet. He's got have you seen?
Speaker 1: He's got two big cross tattoos on his hands, like on the top of his hand, which is a very interesting place for a single tattoo. And it sounds ungodly painful, no pun intended, ungodly painful to get across tattoo on top of your hand.
Speaker 4: Uh, I have a I know a guy who has tattoos on the inside of his hands.
Speaker 2: Ouch.
Speaker 1: I no, not can't imagine that there is nothing but nerves there exactly.
Speaker 3: I specifically asked him about it and he was like, yeah, it was the most painful thing I've ever done.
Speaker 2: So terrible.
Speaker 4: It makes sense.
Speaker 2: What are what?
Speaker 1: What does one get tattooed on the inside of their hands?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: On one hand, it is a open bird cage and on the other hand it's a dove key.
Speaker 1: All right, interesting, Okay, I get it. It's it feels like the sort of thing that uh that that I question if it was worth the pain. But you know what, who am I to judge? Sounds cool to me? I'm a tattoos guy. Nick's not I am uh.
Speaker 3: This guy is covered in tattoos and he says that none of them are worth it, and he would not recommend anyone get them anymore.
Speaker 2: So interesting, hilarious. Yeah. If there were one man that I would think would have like a bird cage and a dove tattooed on his body would be Brian Haney, and then he'd read a poem and then have that tattooed underneath the bird. God. Brian freaking Hany, just the freaking worst. Yeah. Speaking of worst, number twenty North Carolina, they suck. They barely eked out at a conference opening, went over Georgia Tech at home under their glue sniffing coach Hubert Davis, sixty eight to sixty five. They were very close to being four and five through nine games. Kansas win over those guys, turns out and not that great. M Hey, It's at least at least they smashed them.
Speaker 1: At least they didn't have to like hold them off and rally to beat them after a horrible second half. Right, My coach hasn't had any bad halfs this year. They are just consistent and smooth the whole way through.
Speaker 2: Tons of offense.
Speaker 4: Consistent and smooth in the first I can't believe I picked that game of the week.
Speaker 3: Louisville actually led it half against Duke, but couldn't finish the job. Seventy six sixty five for the Blue Devil's Cooper flag had twenty points. I picked Louisville because I'm smart. Is Duke's favorite to win the ACC? I think they probably are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the favorite to win the whole thing, don't ask. Yeah, it's there. It's not Miami Duke.
Speaker 1: Duke in February is gonna be nasty, like I that's Kansas is when over. Duke is gonna look even better as the year goes along. And I hope I'm wrong, and I think Shier will screw it up, but man, that team's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I guess we're going to complete different orders now, so just I'll roll with it. Other results, you see an upset Number twelve Oregon and Pac twelve. Just kidding, Big ten play. The score was seventy three seventy one. That was the Ducks first loss of the season. Number sixteen Memphis lost at home to Arkansas, and I can't believe it's Penny Hardaway early season special and number fourteen Cincinnati only beat Howard by seventeen, which I think by rule, if you beat Howard by less than twenty you should get a loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Speaking of being unburdened by what has been done, three days after scoring twenty six points on Kansas, subtract eight from twenty six. That is an age of consent. Just for Pop Isaacs listening, he was declared out for the year with season ending hip surgery. Create and beat UNLV, but played next plays at number seven Alabama and can't get anywhere near healthy. Just think Pop did all that to Bill with Grandpa hips sad, unbelievable. It reads like a Trump tweet, sad, sad, all caps.
Speaker 3: Oh and here's the seated If I did that game of the Week, I picked Rodney Terry to beat Dan Hurley because oh man, that's bad.
Speaker 4: This proceeded to get bent over by Nuber.
Speaker 2: Twenty five on.
Speaker 3: The final score was seventy six to sixty five, which is with also the score of Duke Louisville.
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 3: But the Huskies jumped to a twenty two to six lead and led by double digits for the rest of the game. Kansas cannot relate to losing to a big E school by a lot of points early.
Speaker 4: Backwards.
Speaker 1: This a Texas ing well first and second. Yeah, they're gonna be just fine. I know you're not a big donovanklinging guy, and they're not gonna be as good as they were the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: But they're a top fifteen team. They're good. Yeah, they'll be fine. By the way, guys, I don't know if if any guys have this game on. Arkansas is currently just flame throwing Michigan out of the gym right now. They're going to hang one hundred on Michigan.
Speaker 1: That game was, that game was tied at halftime, and now Arkansas like they started the second half with like like nine o the first ten baskets.
Speaker 2: Or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this, uh, this is what Michigan does.
Speaker 2: It kind of is. By the way, Juwan Howard is in attendance.
Speaker 1: That's who wouldn't want him to be there because who's their coach. It's the it's the it's the Dusty may Owl's guy. Right, it's Dusty may now right. Yeah, that's well, he's about to get his first loss, which it happens to everybody, but it doesn't always happen to see. We were typing this the sports, the sports franchise that I root for, the sports university I rooted for, never has problems with Arkansas, and the soundboard is just not there. There's that and also lance one for each but Brandon Schneyder doesn't get one beat.
Speaker 2: He beat them yay, and I t who uh lose? No, I'm not taking that cam. Oh you don't want to take it, all right?
Speaker 1: The second show in a row, hence the sad Landing's number one, they lost to Missouri and then.
Speaker 2: Landon wrote something very not nice about Bill. I definitely do need that, poor poor Bill.
Speaker 4: Number seven in Zaga they lost to Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Number eleven Wisconsin lost to Harry Shaka. I don't like that. Number twelve Oregons lost to UCLA.
Speaker 3: Man, imagine being able to beat Gonzaga or organ Huh what a concept they stop? Or this next team stop. Number fourteen Michigan lost to Arkansas. Two teams I would have no idea how to defeat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, well, Kansas did beat Memphis at one time. Memphis lost to Arkansas State. I had to do a double take there.
Speaker 1: Good good week for Arkansas schools, I guess, and number nineteen Illinois lost Northwestern. The Big Ten is going to be what it always is, which is all these these nineteen and twelve teams are.
Speaker 2: They all gonna get eight seeds?
Speaker 1: You get an eight seed, and you get an eight seed. It's basically tom Izzo the Holy get You know that the Spider Man pointing at spider Man meme. It should somebody should make tom Izzo pointing at tom Izzo.
Speaker 2: That's the Big Ten. I think they are good, though unfortunately. I think Michigan State is good. But I can't wait to see them losing the round to thirty two after everyone talks about a penis a month. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: And there's a very funny meme that's now in the notes says Landon is now seven games off, seven games off the leader. Landon venturing deeper, deeper and deeper to the to a point of no return. Better start getting some games, right sir.
Speaker 4: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Landa does. For all of our listeners out there, Landa does look like Hunter Dickinson a little bit. It's it's uncanny.
Speaker 1: I've said that for years and like Hunter Dickinson, lanta.
Speaker 2: Is, you'd probably get more Hunter Dickinson, I would like to think.
Speaker 1: So I've watched Cam shoot free throws, you would make more free throws.
Speaker 2: And he too. That's I mean, that's also is a good I can't hear Ryan at all. I think I think we killed Ryan. Oh how the heck did the mike get muted? I've been over here to given my two sees. I hope you guys didn't even get to hear it. I hope this. I hope that makes it out of the cut of the show, because this show is on par for how the show has met today. Just a colossal train wrecking, a sad, sad loss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what I said was, I've seen Cam shoot free throws. He would make more than Hunter Dickinson. Cam's a good.
Speaker 2: Basketball probably, No, I'm a good shooter. There's a big difference if you put me on the court, all good shot. Yeah basketball, Yeah, like there's a big difference. I'd be I'd be a heck of a walk on guy that they feel bad. You guys know, have no chance.
Speaker 1: You guys would be on the bench, they'd be exactly could not get any action.
Speaker 2: There's no room in the inn, but you can sleep in the stable and be born as Jesus Christ, which is what Remy Martin did. So you know that's how it goes.
Speaker 1: Oh, and Twitter has come full circle because I was I will forever remember where I was. We were in Orlando during the Kansas Missouri game, and I'm carrying this big stupid iPad around a mall. At one o'clock on Sunday, Kansas get blasted by Missouri. And at one point I was standing in the as my wife was looking as my wife was looking for Christmas gifts for a couple of kids that we know, and I was standing in the in the Crayola ornament section when somebody tweeted at me that I should never compare the bums that Bill self put.
Speaker 2: On this roster to Remy Martin.
Speaker 1: And I'm thinking, wow, from full circle, because I used to say Remy Martin should play and people would tell me they would make it sound like he doesn't even have any right to put on the hollowed sacred jersey that says Kansas. And now when I say Rylan Griffin's got a play bill, he's your off the bench guy. I remember Remy was pretty good at that, and people are like, well, Remy could play defense. I'm like, oh man, how I have not forgotten the tweets from three years ago.
Speaker 3: I love I love how somehow, whether just the stereotype or true, that a player's ability to play defense is the only relevant piece of information.
Speaker 2: To whether yeah or not. I think that might be.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, obviously Marcus Garrett is the greatest player since Will Yeah at Kansas basketball, Oh, Ben, anything but that?
Speaker 1: All right, let's do ask RCB. So this will be interesting because we normally know what the questions are gonna look like. Following a loss, they're normally a little panicky. But now they've lost two in a row, so I'm expecting everybody's basically gonna.
Speaker 2: Be slamming down that panic button. All right, here we go.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna go rapid fire through these because we got a lot of these. Everybody wants to know about kJ Everyone wants to know a lot of basketball. Sometimes we have nonsense and sometimes we have basketball. Well, we have a lot of basketball.
Speaker 2: So here's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read you basketball questions. You guys are gonna answer them, and then whenever you need a break, I have one question that is very much so not basketball. So whenever time and I'll hit, I'll hit you with that one.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 1: Let's let's be get at Mayo Zeke Berner. If Bill self was not suspended to start twenty two twenty three, would it have affected Grady Dick? But yourself would have auto benched him. It seems like that's the only news that has not been given up, that has not had a hard time to start, and that's because Norman Roberts was his coach.
Speaker 2: I mean, funny tweet, but no. And also John Caliperry is peeing down his leg right now. And Michigan's on a ten oh run.
Speaker 1: We just read Michigan as a ranked team to lose.
Speaker 2: Since the last I played. You might need to play some music.
Speaker 1: This is gonna come down to the wire because if anyone, Grady Dick is the best freshman that has played at Kansas since Josh Jackson. He was a lottery pick, crazy and he was so so good in non con like Grady Dick in non conference was borderline all American.
Speaker 2: He tapered off a little bit in conference play like and we knew when I mean, yeah, he had to play.
Speaker 1: But there there are guys that that we've seen that you could compare guys like Aj Store to that we don't feel like.
Speaker 2: Have gotten the necessarily the fair start at Travis ninety nine.
Speaker 1: As much as I want to blame Bill Solf, can we admit that Aj Store fouls himself out of most games because he's always in a bad defensive position.
Speaker 2: Yes, he fouls way too much. Defense has not been good so far? Yeah, pretty good, take Devil's advocate. You could also Bill selfer that yes, so true.
Speaker 1: He could be in AJ's brain a little too much at batflip punch out what changes need to be made to the offense that generate more three point attempts and makes what is it going to make play?
Speaker 2: Three point play are big?
Speaker 1: And that the gift in this is it's just a rotating three that says three is the magic number. Well, sir, you've come to the right place, because rock Chalk Blog is probably the biggest proponent of any of the major Kansas pro fan accounts in the sense that I'm always clamoring for more threes. I'm always wanting more offense at the expensive defense and I have a lot of people tell me that there's more to basketball than just shooting the ball.
Speaker 2: I disagree. I look at Nato.
Speaker 1: It's the thing you can just outscore most of yours. You don't have to worry about a lot of that other stuff. Yes, they need to shoot more threes, my gosh, especially with his roster, Rylan and AJ need to let it rip.
Speaker 4: Agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want a team of Kyle Korver's.
Speaker 1: That would be a lot of fun. Too bad that that would never happen with Bill self. At Bob Rockchalk, at what point do Kj's minutes get limited? All right, Well that's actual? And then at rock Chalk eighty four says could you shoot a better baseline jumper than kJ Adams? Here's my take, And you can laugh at me all the way to the bank on this one, but I'm gonna shoot a take.
Speaker 2: I think I'm right.
Speaker 1: Bill self gave a lot of people the benefit of the doubt last year and it didn't work. I don't think he's doing it again this year. I don't think he's gonna have the same season.
Speaker 2: Happened back to back.
Speaker 1: If he has anything to say, fair enough, fair enough, But here's my take, kJ Adams minute starts to go down, and Bill self realizes that he's got to hurt some feelings to get this team where he needs to get it.
Speaker 2: At least that's what I'm gonna beout on happening.
Speaker 4: That's what should happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, emphasis on should, and no one wants.
Speaker 4: To say anything else.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna leave it as a cliffhanger on.
Speaker 2: I'm I am literal, I'm so absorbed by watching this John Caliperry team poop down their leg that I I just I lost all all sense of time.
Speaker 1: Now we may have to pull up, We may have to pull a two thousand election and retract a call that which is why we should never. I guess trust Cam whenever he comes running in here and he's like, guys, Michigan is beating the brick, he's getting the breaks beat off.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well they were stop that was up by like eighteen. I didn't do that.
Speaker 1: It was like eighty to sixty two at Show Me Hawk. What a nightmare week for Kansas. They have three Horde halves in one week and are already own two on the road. Do you think this team will figure it out? What will their final road record.
Speaker 2: Be Oh boy, how many road games? They have? Nine left? And they're all league games.
Speaker 1: It's twenty it's twenty game big twelve seasons, so ten ten road games. I'll say they go seven. Yeah, I'll say they go six and four on the road and undefeated at home. So that puts them six and six on the road.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go four and eight on the road.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I hope you're wrong. I'm gonna go in between. I'll go five and seven.
Speaker 1: Hey, five and seven sounds a little familiar, sir. I'm trying to put my finger on what number could mean about Kansas.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wait, Jalen Daniels. No, I don't want you raising Canes. I just want you to beat you and l V Hey.
Speaker 3: Oh so sad hardboard cutout of Jalen Daniels and every Canes in the case area paid for all five of those wins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that seems like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most of those teams beat were really good too. This is not talking about the losses at Bentley Hunt fifteen. Obviously there's a lot of panic at the moment, But do you think maybe it's a good thing that the spiral happens now, so they have time to correct it. It feels like last year when things they corrected, their time to fix it before March came knocking. Yeah, that's more or less true. Like and also look at the schedule, you like, realistically, we couldn't have expected this team to start, you know, twelve and oher or whatever. They were likely going to be losses. If the losses were Duke in Michigan State and they had beaten crighton in Missouri, they had the same record, but maybe the same problems and maybe it feels different, you know, I don't know. Let's let's see them beat in North Carolina State, right, surely they won't lose another one.
Speaker 3: Also, last year was more a case of like the wicked Witch melting before our eyes rather than like problems at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a year that was a seventeen and three start that just then went straight into the litter box.
Speaker 2: I think a year there's a lot of denial, Like he's starting with the UCF loss. Everyone was like, yeah, you know, it's just I don't know, it's completely normal to lose in Orlando to a basketball team that sucks. That's fine, and then like they can go to I think, yeah, boy, they.
Speaker 1: Lost the game in Orlando, and I remember Landon coming on the podcast and being like, hmm, I'm kind of starting out, and I was like, this guy.
Speaker 2: Doesn't know Bill's self.
Speaker 1: Just watch They're all one seed, no issues, We'll just go We'll just watch them go play West Virginia. Oh, and then that happened, and I think I ran it back and was like, Bill, you know, February's.
Speaker 3: Is the time you almost ran it back after b YU. We had to talk you down from like Ryan, it's it's it's mid February, this is over.
Speaker 2: And then we still all picked him to Beacon Zaga, which.
Speaker 4: He used to write to pick Cincinnati without that is so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait to see that not happen again this year at Brooks Asaurus forty one. Good name.
Speaker 1: Why won't Bill self ender? Having four out an Hunter without kJ one zeke right, sure gives you the best chance.
Speaker 2: That's I mean.
Speaker 4: NA tournament music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a document inside of allen Field House that says that's illegal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there there's a reason that that they absolutely can't do that, and it's because kJ provides a hustle, even though the lineup you presented is absolutely their highest ceiling lineup, one hundred percent at J H. Bernard, did something happen during halftime or during the game that led to Mayo and Griffin riding the bench? I mean, we read you Griffin's minutes. They're going down by the game. Mayo is not being bench very much. He's playing like Mayo, Griffin and Store. Mayo's playing a ton and the other two are very inconsistent. Mao's minutes are not inconsistent.
Speaker 3: Store and Griffin have been bad on defense, which, whether you think that's right or wrong, is the reason they're not playing.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, and that's it. It's not because of what they're doing on offense. I mean yeah, and that's just another reason for me to bang my head against the table, because, yeah, it turns out you can't win a game when you score sixty three points and you give up seventy whatever it was, or however many points it scored. I don't know, it's late.
Speaker 1: Well, I I'm surprised you guys haven't tapped out sixty seven points.
Speaker 2: Nonsense question. But here here, I'm excited for that and intervene.
Speaker 1: Here here comes your nonsense question at Ryan underscore Landras, what are your thoughts on the Rainforest cafe.
Speaker 2: You take this, you take the.
Speaker 3: Everyone should go watch Eddie Burback's video on him visiting all the rainforest cafes. And then, if you're like man, I wish there was a sequel video to this with the more tropical theme here and luck because you should also watch the hour long Eddie Burback What.
Speaker 4: Time is it? Sponsor?
Speaker 3: I would love to be sponsored by Eddie if that was everthing that Eddie rocks. I've never actually been to Rainforest Cafe, only watched the Eddie Burback video.
Speaker 4: But Ryan, you've been.
Speaker 1: That's I've been to four rainforest cafes and I've been to two Margaritavilles too, just like you can't go to Orlando and not go to both. At some point, Sir, Margeritaville is actually pretty good.
Speaker 2: Rainforest Cafe is only good if you like having intestinal pain three hours after you eat said food. Yeah, there used to be one.
Speaker 1: For those of you who live in the Kansas City area, there used to be a Rainforest Cafe in the Oak Park Mall, and that would be like my reward, like if I would get a shot as like a four year old, my mom would take me to the Rainforest Cafe afterwards, and it was just a magical place. I remember being overwhelmed with amazement at the thunderstorms and the realistic looking snake that was hanging from the ceiling. And then Angie and I went to one and now Ashville after not having not gone for a while, and I was like, oh, the thunderstorms are kind of really annoying, and the hamburg the Safari fries.
Speaker 2: Kind of make my tummy hurt a little bit.
Speaker 1: But everybody's got to go to the Rainforest Cafe Landon, Well, we need to take you.
Speaker 2: That's where we're going for your birthday this year.
Speaker 4: Okay, done? So I'm so down.
Speaker 1: What's the closest rainforest cafe here? It's probably like Dallas or something. There's not one anywhere near here anymore.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be yeah, I don't know. Having not watched the video in a long time, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Hey, look at their schedule. Pick whether you want to see him losing fort Worth or you want to see him loosing Lubbick.
Speaker 2: And we'll stop at the Rainforest Cafe. On our way to watching them lose by sixteen whatever your preferred opponent is done.
Speaker 3: I'm so down for that. Oh there's one in Auburn Hills, Michigan. One we could we could go with you Cam, you could drive back.
Speaker 1: You guys could go before you fulfill your losing pick em beat Landon. That's the last meal is Safari fries in an Iggy's Piggy Sandwich.
Speaker 4: As God intended.
Speaker 2: I think your thoughts in the Rainforest Cafe, Paul Blart mall cop solidified that place as just an absolute valhalla for me because that man went into a tropical rainforest and just turned into Arnold Schwarzenegger terminator style, just kicking ass. And I tell you what, if you guys want to have a great way to decide who gets to enter the country illegally, you got to. You gotta find a way to get some of the people that are allegedly not here how they're supposed to be. You put them in a tropical rainforest cafe and it's a battle royale, and then whoever comes out on top stays.
Speaker 3: That is somehow the most controversial and most sensible thing we've ever said on the show.
Speaker 2: And that is why I can never run for public office.
Speaker 1: And all I want to know Cam is what are your thoughts on the Safari Fries.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't even know about that. I think I had, dude. I think the last time I ate there, I was like twelve, and I was just more excited for the scenery. But then like the thought of it, it's just a stupid chain Like it's a chain restaurant. There's like five of them, right, so it's kind of I don't know, sixty one dollars for two people the.
Speaker 1: Other day or whenever or the other day. You guys two months ago when we went there, I was like, Oh, that's.
Speaker 2: Not if if you had like a like, let's say you had some really you hypothetically you owed gambling debts to the mafia, not that I do, which I don't, but like they were after you and you had to survive twenty yeah, twenty four hours in a tropical rainforest cafe without being found. Do you think you could do it?
Speaker 1: Oh, one hundred percent. You just hide in those vines. The vines are endless, you just have to hide behind. And then it irritates me when they have tigers in the rainforest sir, leopards and jag.
Speaker 2: Or not leopards.
Speaker 1: Yeahs live in the rainforest. Tigers live in forests. There is a difference rainforest cafe.
Speaker 2: What are we doing here, dude? I what a tiger by They had anaconda. They don't live, they don't. That's the hemisphere. I feel like tropical rainforest cafe was just someone's idea that was really wrecked off of like mushrooms, and it worked. It worked for a while.
Speaker 1: They used to have like forty restaurants and now they're down to the final light twenty. Yeah, since that awesome video Land had mentioned, I think a close since then, But yes, that that definitely made if if you had a rainforest cafe on Google, that's one of the first things.
Speaker 2: I'd wear a gilly suit and just go to war like I'd be. I'd be just locked in in the vines and I'd build pipe bombs. Allegedly. Yeah, Mike, right now.
Speaker 1: Boxier basketball questions, because we have a few left here at Jayhawk n t N. I believe that this team only needs one more of the transfers to heat up to cure their problems. Zeke seems like the most likely come out of the funk. Aj seems to get lost on the high screens and Griffin just needs to be aggressive and go to the hoop I.
Speaker 2: Just need and it does all fix guys, if it just hits more fine, he's I mean, he's kind of right. Though.
Speaker 1: There's optimism from Jayhawk NTN that David Quoit's giving good minutes and has been better than expected, and you have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: You need one more piece because you figure you get to get solid enough contribution. Whether it's unspectacular or not, it's another question. But Hunter kJ in to one. You know what you're gonna get there, and you feel like you can get something from one of the other transfers in Kansas will be pretty good. Zeke Mayo was really good in the first couple of games in Kansas beat some good teams. Yeah, ever since, well, you know, Ryland, Griffin and aj Store were huge in the Duke win. They don't beat Duke without both those guys having great second halfs. They need that, obviously. That's the difference between wins and losses. At Rock Chuck, aj I teach middle school near the Saint Louis area and boys, the students and some staff let me have it.
Speaker 2: This week, I found pos and my notes, and I found bosers and notes in my class today.
Speaker 1: Please pray for me because I know it won't stop. And then there's a piece of paper that was left on his desk that says m I Z eight and left no crumbs z ou.
Speaker 2: That's that'd be a rough place. That's off. That'll be a rough week.
Speaker 1: But but hey, you know what, have you seen the all time stats in this rivalry? You're getting the laugh way more than they are.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming he has like a whiteboard in his classroom. So what he needs to do is he needs to walk into class the next day and just put up the all time standing in the biggest block letters that he can, and then ask the class what it is and just wait until they get it. It's a big number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I'm sure that the seven year olds in the middle school, seventh graders who weren't even alive when Kansas and Missouri were cross rivals, I'm sure they'll love the history there at Staggles fourteen. Seems like everyone on this app points the facing and kJ being the main issue with the offense. I agree that kJ is more of a defensive specialist. But I think the main issue is the transfer wings aren't playing well enough on either end to be able to keep kJ off the floor. What And that's that's a really interesting take. Maybe Self is willing to bench kJ more than we think if other guys show him something. Do you think if Ryland Griffin and aj Store were both playing great right now that we'd still be having this conversation, because I'm not sure we are now. I think Self is open to taking kJ out, but someone has to prove worthy of the spot.
Speaker 2: He's not going to take them out for potential. Do you think he's actually open to that?
Speaker 3: That's that's the part I'm not so sure about. I mean, there is an amount of truth to if like Store and Mayo were just completely locked in uh and and looks like the guys that they recruited here like there would at least be more clamoring to actively bench kJ. But I I do I do agree that I'm not so sure he's so open to that. But as the question askers kind of getting at, there's also been no one actively taking that spot, Like there's been no next man up to really take it in a practical way because Bill self does not play his team based on potential.
Speaker 1: He clearly trusts Zeke Mayo because Zekemeo is playing starter minutes.
Speaker 2: That leaves another for anybody that steps up and shows something.
Speaker 1: And then at the Irish Org taser, poor guy here says, woke up Sunday excited to watch an angry KU squad spank Missouri and then watch a revigorated squad with a new coach get off the schnide against a reeling and injured forty nine ers team. And was then met with this picture and it is Kansas down by a million, side by side with the total yards San Francisco three ten Chicago two graphic that they posted and the question Wayne kerr asks, why do I keep stabbing myself in the urethroat with that?
Speaker 2: You need to get checked out by a professional. Hey, Caleb Williams Man, I.
Speaker 1: Land They sat Landon and I argued about Caleb Williams just like we argued about Justin Herbert.
Speaker 2: They had negative five passing yards in the second quarter.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have it, Ye, He's not getting any help from his offensive line. It's terrible, But Caleb Williams has been very disappointing.
Speaker 2: He's not even been a.
Speaker 1: Top three rooky quarterback in his class, and he was considered to be the can't miss guy. Bo Nix is making him look foolish by comparison, granted better coaching. Matt Eberflus, I get it, but yeah, disappointing season for Kayleb Williams and a disappointing lie for Bears fans.
Speaker 2: Cam you're alliance fans, so I get it. Very little sympathy, but yeah, no, but it gets better as times.
Speaker 1: If you ever have Assdcarcb's used the Twitter hashtag ask RCB.
Speaker 2: Having all sorts of problems with the soundboard.
Speaker 1: So hopefully that's the last time we need it, just like hopefully that's the last time we're talking about a loss. I don't want to see any more sad Lambdon's in the notes, And as long as they hold SIRB at Allen Field House, it'll be a while before we see another one. North Carolina State at number ten, Kansas not one ten Now Saturday, December the fourteenth, two fifteen pm.
Speaker 2: It's on ESPN and Landon. You'll be there. Look at you nice? Yeah? Taking your grandma, that's that she's she's a blast to take the KU games.
Speaker 4: You just may have to.
Speaker 1: You may have to remind her to to to grab her phone before you guys leave the car. She forgets that sometimes, but she won't forget what time.
Speaker 2: Tip off is.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'll take it.
Speaker 1: The North Carolina State wolf Pack enter at six and three. They started five and oh uh, fresh off a Final four season that saw essentially an entire reboot following declares to the draft and transfer portal. They have only won one game since Thanksgiving, losing to Purdue b YU and Texas and then needing overtime to squeak past Florida State and the acc SEC Challenge. They've been on a little bit of a slide, much like Bill's team.
Speaker 4: This is on me, This is on me. I zone.
Speaker 3: Oh Mary, second, let's just let's go to the next paragraph. They're leading score six to fourth senior wing Jaden Taylor, who haves fourteen points but has gotten off to a terrible shooting Star Cam Relate this season. Marcus Hill and Dontrees styles play the three and the four. Neither of them is a big three point threat. Either point guard is White Guy of the Game candidate Michael O'Connell. Yeah, that would be who averages seven and five congress person, but also, like the rest of his teammates, is struggling to shoot us far. So, guys, if we haven't watched any Kansas basketball in the last decade and a half, o, what's about to happen?
Speaker 2: Absolutely yep, nuclear explosion from three. North Carolina State's starting center is six foot ten Brandon Huntley Hatfield, which sounds like a nineteen forties president who averages ten and six. He's actually been the team's best three point shooter, but it's been in very small doses. Six foot ten Ben Middlebrooks, also another very white name, is both his relief and his counterpart when the Wolfpack opt to play big.
Speaker 1: So a little bit of a scouting report here. The Wolfpack have been very rough on offense this year. They've shot just thirty one percent from three. They're under seventy percent on a very big sample size at the free throw line. They're also barely inside the top three hundred nationally in rebounds. Their strengths they've gotten a lot of shots at the rim. They've been good at two pointers, they've been good at drawing contact, so they're not making a lot of foul shots. And they've been a really good defensive team, both inside and out. That has been what has buttered their bread, so to speak, so far this year. Their senior leadership lead to low turnover rates and low foul totals. This is an experienced team. Sometimes Allen field House rattles teams, not quite sure that you can expect that in this game. This is a senior team with Final Four experience. Their pace is slow and their preferred style is gross.
Speaker 4: Kansas last played the Wolfpack in the Atlantis Tournament two seasons ago, when Grady Dick made six first half threes.
Speaker 3: Would that'd be nice to have? Overall ency State won in Lawrence and their first match when Alaska and Hawaii became states all the way back in nineteen fifty nine. KU has won all twelve games since. This is their first non neutral site meeting since nineteen ninety seven. How we feeling, cam?
Speaker 2: Kansas wins by a good bit. I'm gonna say Kansas wins eighty two to sixty eight in a game that makes us feel slightly better?
Speaker 3: Okay, landing, Yeah, Kansas wins seventy seven sixty three in a game that might have a few moments early when c State does very a few threes and we go, oh, no, this is gonna happen again, and then it doesn't because it's Allen field House.
Speaker 1: Yep, that feels like the most likely outcome. I think Hunter Dickinson and kJ Adams will both post good numbers. This is the sort of matchup where Arkansas is kind of your slow bruising kind of offense, or Arkansas I have the Arkansas game on North Carolina State is your slow bruising, big kind of offense, and KU has a better version of that and a homecore advantage. I expect an emphasis from Bill self put on this team to get to the free throw line, so I think you'll see the free throw numbers go up a little bit. Feels like a nice two hour and forty minute slugfest that goes on way too long and results in a lot of free throws. Kansas wins seventy nine to sixty three, something kind of like that. I think it's very close to what you guys both just said now. But yeah, I expect to see Kansas rebound. It's been a while since they've played a good first half. Expect it to happen here. And remember Kansas is Carolina. They own Carolina. They're going for the sweep. Here the set of four victories, considering they already have wins over the tar Heels, the Blue Devils, and Furman going for another one here.
Speaker 2: Other games.
Speaker 1: Decent set of games going on this week, beginning with the Syhawks showdown.
Speaker 2: Number three.
Speaker 1: Iowa State hits the road to play Iowa. The environment is going to be loud, but I trust tj Olzelberger's team.
Speaker 2: I think it is right now. They're the best team in the Big twelve. Give me the Cyclones.
Speaker 4: Don't take any of my advice. Ignore everything I'm about to.
Speaker 2: Say, Iowa, Iowa State.
Speaker 1: Number seventeen, Perdue, or excuse me, number seventeen, Texas A and M going to number eleven Perdue. I will take the boiler Makers at home.
Speaker 2: Same, yes, give me Perdue.
Speaker 1: I'm not super sold on Perdue, but I do think they went out home. Ohio State versus number two Auburn and Atlanta. All right, go ahead, you guys both take Auburn. Get it out of the way so I can blow your minds.
Speaker 4: I'll take Auburn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me Auburn. Bye a lot. All right, So here's the thing. With Auburn.
Speaker 1: I may look kind of stupid for picking this result, but I'm going to go with the Buckeyes to pull the upset here. I think Auburn is a team that's kind of already a little bit peaked. I think that usually whenever you see teams start off this well and they're guns of blaze and they're taken down top twent to top ten teams left and right, there's gonna be a lull at some point. You can't expect this team to bring it every single night out. And suddenly Auburn, a team that has been hunting all year, suddenly now they're the hunted. Just a gut call. I think the Buckeyes pull a big upset. Number twenty Wisconsin versus Butler in Indianapolis.
Speaker 2: I don't like either of these teams. Wisconsin shouldn't be ranked anymore, but I guess, I guess, Uh, how is Butler this year?
Speaker 4: Do we know?
Speaker 2: Really bad? It's by twenty to Houston. The other day, I think, yeah, not great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh they're losing the They lost to North Dakota State at home, so yeah, give me Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Geez, they did lose that game. I saw that they were on the comeback trail, but they lost it. I needed an even set of ten games this week, so I had to pull some that you otherwise wouldn't care about. Number twenty four Ucla versus Arizona no longer conference rivals. Give me the Wildcats to get their season back on track. Technically a neutral site game, but it's in Phoenix.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Give me an Arizona on this classic Big ten, Big twelve showdown?
Speaker 2: Uh sure, why not? Give me Arizona.
Speaker 1: Arizona State going on the road to Atlanta to play Number nine Florida. Tempted to pull the trigger here. I think Florida is in a similar spot. If Arizona State was a little bit better, I think I would do it, but I just don't think they're very good. Give me the Gators.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I give you Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Florida identical spots.
Speaker 1: One of them is gonna lose, just don't know which one. Number one Tennessee at Illinois. Give me the fighting a line.
Speaker 4: I same, three straight losses for number one.
Speaker 2: Nope, give me Rick Barnes.
Speaker 1: Probably the best game on paper of this set. Number eight Gonzaga going all the way to New York City, looking for a quality win against number eighteen Yukon.
Speaker 2: I will say they get it.
Speaker 1: I like Mark Fu's team. This is their last chance for a quality dub until the tournament, and I think they pull it off.
Speaker 2: Give me the Bulldogs Yukon close. Uh, I you know what I'm gonna trust? Yeah, give me and Zaga.
Speaker 1: And if I've ever preached the my preachings of a team that's kind of the hunting sometimes is now the hunted and I don't trust their coach at all. Give me the Bedlam game here. Number thirteen Oklahoma at Oklahoma State. Glad these two teams still found a way to make it work even though they don't play in the same conference anymore. Give me the Cowboys at home. I do not trust Porter Moser at all, especially now that he is nine to zero.
Speaker 4: Correct Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this game is just a big butt cheek on a platter. Give me Oklahoma State. Wow?
Speaker 1: All right, Well they have another week off after the North Carolina State game was just one game in fifteen days for Kansas and then land in your favorite another Sunday game, and this one's against Brown.
Speaker 2: It's a blockbuster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what we do it for the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the one they win by like six, that's the that's the the Allen Field House is like sixty percent full because all this studentudents are gone home for Christmas break.
Speaker 1: And they need somebody to make a couple of late threes to help them.
Speaker 2: Win sixty six to fifty four over Brown. Yep, seeing that a few times.
Speaker 1: But we'll be back to talk about it because it's what we do, even though we're getting more sad landings by the week.
Speaker 2: This is inside the paint on Rock Chuck Blog. I'm Ryan Landres, I'm Winning Fields, and I'm Cam Lipple. Did Arkansas win? Cam? Did we have to go win? We have to go all the way back and redo the show. From that point, there are exactly three point seven seconds left. Yeah, no one's going to carry enough. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, Michigan, this is how we're gonna end the show. Michigan will make a three pointer to win this game and the end of regulation and no, I that could be very wrong, but that's my take.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I would say we should have hang on until we know, but considering how long stoppages in that sport count.
Speaker 2: We've gone on long enough, We'll be back by Miszoo