Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: O JFI Radio.
Speaker 4: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 3: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 5: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 6: I can hear you loud and clear. It's time for your morning wake up.
Speaker 7: Call gold and his name is Amy King.
Speaker 6: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 5: Business.
Speaker 1: Well, good morning, it's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Friday, May second. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Glad you're getting your day started with us. So if you got your coffee brewin, maybe your muffin's baking. Does anybody bake muffins in the morning?
Speaker 8: Mail?
Speaker 1: No, that's a lot of time. Yeah, okay, Well, I hope you're getting your cereal poured or maybe you got your oatmeal. I'm having a muffin this morning.
Speaker 6: A short timer today, I am.
Speaker 1: A short timer. I am a short timer. But you know what I gotta say, this is ridiculous, but I love doing this, and so I'm not in a rush to get out of here, but once I leave at ten fifteen, I'm out heading out for versifacation. Been saving up for a long time. Haven't done any traveling for years since before the pandemic and the Big Sea and all of that crap. Uh puh.
Speaker 6: I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 1: A little Okay, I speak a little tiny bit of French, and I'm so excited because they took French in high school and then you know, I don't remember virtually anything because I didn't use it. But now there's this thing called you're a smartphone and you just say, hey, how do I say this? And it spits it out for you.
Speaker 6: Amazing.
Speaker 1: So it's going to hopefully make it a lot easier. And I'm going to try to speak French as much as possible, which I was sure people are going to get a kick out of. Okay, here's what's ahead on wake up, culp, because we got lots going on. This Friday morning, thousands of people representing ninety unions and immigrants rights groups have hit the streets of LA for May Day protests. Demonstrators carried flags and banners through the streets of LA and boil heights yesterday to protest President Trump's crackdown on illegal immigration. A woman from Lakewood is expected to plead guilty today to falsely claiming her property was damaged in the Pacific Palisades wildfire, even though she doesn't own property in the area. Prosecutors say Hashittia Robertson got about two twenty five thousand dollars in FEMA benefits fraudulently. She could get up to thirty years in federal prison. A federal judge has blocked deportations of suspected Venezuelan gang members under the Alien Enemies Act. The judge, who was appointed by President Trump during his first term, says Trendey or Rogwell gang members are not invading the country as the Trump administration has argued. We're gonna dig a little deeper into this with ABC's Peter Harralambu, set's coming up in three minutes. At five point twenty, Waltz is out, but is he. ABC's Karen Travers on the shakeup in the Trump administration and how Mike Waltz really isn't leaving. At five point thirty five, The Birds and the Bees, and the flowers and the trees, The host of Home on KFI is gonna help us get our living space in place this spring, and thunderbolts hits theaters this weekend. ABC's Will Gams on whether Marvel lightning strikes twice plus a good little bing. She's gonna tell us all about that that's coming up before the top of the hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. An employee at all Of Middle School in Baldwin Park has been arrested after a twelve hour standoff on campus. The school was evacuated yesterday because of what was said to be a disturbance in the main office. This parent says it was believed to be a teacher who had posted something disturbing on social media.
Speaker 9: Totally out of character. I just like, huh, it's not her. She's just a beautiful person, honestly, So what.
Speaker 1: Moved in After hours of negotiations. They used flash bang grenades, a battering ram and teargas. The woman was arrested at about nine thirty last night and taken to a hospital. Not clear why she was holed up in the office. News brought to you by Simper solaris a review of LA's proposed budget as council members questioning how the city spends money on the homeless.
Speaker 5: Some members of the city council's budget committee have asked what is the city's role in fighting homelessness now that the county is leaving the LA Homeless Services Authority. City administrator Man'zebo says the city is all r over extended and maybe doesn't need to be.
Speaker 10: We do not have anywhere close to the resources that the county has to address this problem.
Speaker 6: We have a fraction of a fraction.
Speaker 5: At least one member of the committee has said, technically, most homeless programs fall under the purview of the county. The city spends around three hundred million dollars each year on homelessness. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Congress has taken a step to overturn California's plan to ban gas powered cars by twenty thirty five. The House passed a resolution yesterday by California Republican Congressman Kevin Kylie to.
Speaker 11: Stop a single individual, Gavin Newsom, from dictating what tens of millions of Californians and other Americans are allowed to drive.
Speaker 1: The resolution would cancel special permission from the federal government that allows California to implement the ban. Kevinor Newsom says he will keep defending clean air for all Californians. Disney celebrating at seventieth with seventy new menu items items like barbecue chicken and pineapple pizza, Yum, grilled Tahitian ribs, Chocolate Moose, and the Mickey Hat cookie, among them. Get your taste buds ready. The seventieth anniversary of Disney celebration begins May sixteenth. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Peter Hara Lumbus.
Speaker 12: Good morning, Peter, good morning, Thanks much for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks for coming on. I've got another set back for President Trump in his efforts to get Trendy or Rugwa gang members out of the US. What happened?
Speaker 12: That's exactly right. This is really the first ruling of its kind where we've seen a federal judge find that the Trump's application of the Alien Enemies Act to remove members of trend de Aragua from the United States is unlawful. We've heard a lot about this law over the last two months, and certainly we've seen other judges block this law. From being used to deport people, but ultimately those were all done in emergency scenarios, and no judge has really looked at this big question of whether or not Trump can say trend de Ragua is a foreign nation invading the United States as justification to remove them under this centuries old law. Just yesterday we saw Points Yet of Texas reach a conclusion on that saying that Trump provided no evidence and can't claim the group is actually invading the United States. Yet another setback for the president's immigration agenda.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what did the judge say in making this ruling?
Speaker 12: So the judges didn't really want to look into this question of whether or not Trendarragua can be considered a hybrid criminal state, as Trump alleges, but in terms of whether or not the Trump administration was able to provide any evidence. He said that, yes, trend Aarragua is doing harm to the United States citizens, but the Trump administration isn't providing any evidence to prove that they're engaging in an invasion or predator predatory incursion of the United States. Under that law, the Alien Enemies Act in order to invoke it, like we've seen during both World wars or the War of eighteen twelve. There needs to be another country actively invading or kind of trying to enter the United States territory. In this case, trend Arragua, while it might be doing harm in the United States, isn't invading it in the proper sense of the terms.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then this leads to this question because I thought it Maybe I could be wrong on this, it's very likely, but I thought that another court had ruled that they and I thought it was a higher court that said, yes, you can use the Alien Enemies Act.
Speaker 12: You know, it's tricky because there's kind of this patchwork of cases throughout the country. You're exactly right if you rewind through. Last month, the Supreme Court came out with a ruling saying that from could go forward with the Alien Enemies Act and so far as he gave these non citizens notice that they're actually being deported and enough time to kind of go to a court and raise concerns about that. Ultimately, after that decision, we saw a series of rulings around the United States. It's kind of trying to define what exactly that meant. What the Supreme Court meant when said, for example, you should have a reasonable amount of time to challenge this ruling. And this was one of these cases, this one out of the Southern District of Texas. There was one in New York, there was one in Colorado, where where basically the Supreme Court throughout that original case clarified with the what the what the procedure is and suggested that going forward, if you want to challenge these deportations, you should file it in the districts other than Washington DC and file what's called the habeas petition. So basically this is an extension in a way of that Supreme Court ruling, and that the Supreme Court basically forced all these plaintiffs to go back to stage one, and that's what they're doing here. And now these cases are expected to go through the appeals court and probably we'll reach the Supreme Court all over again.
Speaker 1: So I mean, thank you for explaining that, because you know, you think that once it hits the Supreme Court, the issue becomes settled. But because it sounds like they're kind of ruling on technicalities as opposed to a full on broad ruling, that's the way that they can kind of reconfigure and try again.
Speaker 12: That's exactly right. So the Supreme Court when it came to that conclusion, didn't actually look at this legal question of whether or not Trump properly invoked the Alien Enemties Act. There was a technicality in a way. They said, this lawsuit shouldn't be going forward in Washington, d c. To be filed in Texas, and it shouldn't be filed it should be filed as what's called the habeas petition. So you know, this was kind of what the Supreme Court asked for in a way. They said, come back to me when it's refiled, and we'll see this thing go through the appeals court all over again. Here as we try to see whether or not this is actually way for the Trump administration to speed up deportations or what's seeming more likely and that you know, this is becoming more of a hassle than the Trump administration expected. There are more illegal challenges in place after what they thought would be a fast way to speed up the deportation process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, ABC's Peter hi Alambos, thank you so much for helping sort that out. As with everything, it's so complicated and we kind of need to get into the weeds to make sense of it, so we appreciate it.
Speaker 12: My pleasure. Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. President Trump is threatened to sanction anyone who buys irany and oil. The warning came after Oman announced that talks between the US and Iran that we're supposed to happen in Rome tomorrow had been postponed. Oman said it was for logistical reasons. Trump said any country that does business with Iran will not be doing business with the US. China is Iran's leader, a leading importer of oil. Vice President Vance says that Mike Walls is not being fired from his role as National Security Advisor.
Speaker 13: I think the media wants to frame this as a firing. Donald Trump has fired a lot of people. He doesn't give them senate confirmed appointments afterwards. What he thinks is that Mike Waltz is going to better serve the administration, most importantly the American people in that role, and I have an agree with him.
Speaker 1: Vance told Fox News the decision for Walls to leave his position is in fact a promotion, as President Trump is nominated to become him to become the US Ambassador to the United Nations, Walts is likely to face grilling about mistakingly adding a reporter to a signal group chat during Senate confirmation hearings. Reports of sexual assaults in the US military are down.
Speaker 14: A new Pentagon reports says the number of sexual assaults reported across the military fell by nearly four percent last year, and there was a significant drop in the Army. It's the second year in a row with a decrease that reverses a trend that's played the Defense Department for more than a decade. Defense officials say while the decline is a good sign, the numbers of reported assaults are still too high. Deborah mark koff I News.
Speaker 1: A ship carrying aid to Gaze has been attacked by drones off the coast of Malta. The humanitarian group Freedom Flotilla Coalition says there was a fire on board, but it was controlled. A nearby tugboat responded to a distress call. No injuries were reported. Apple CEO Tim Cook says President Trump's tariffs could cost the company almost a billion dollars in just the second quarter.
Speaker 15: During a Thursday earnings call, Cook said he was not able to estimate the impact of tariffs precisely, but assuming things do not change, it would add an additional nine hundred million dollars to costs.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Mark Mayfield says most apple products are made in China, which is facing the h high US tariffs. Almost half of Americans say they believe the government is hiding information about UFOs.
Speaker 16: A News Nation poll found forty four percent of those surveyed believe UFO informations being hidden, while twenty eight percent disagree. The poll found young Americans are particularly suspicious, with forty nine percent of Gen Z respondents and forty eight percent of millennials believing in government UFO secrecy, compared to just thirty four percent of Baby boomers. The findings come after congressional hearings and Pentagon reports acknowledged unexplained encounters by military personnel. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: Tonight the Dodgers taken on the Braves in Atlanta. First pitch goes out at four fifteen. You can listen to all the Dodger games on AM five seventy live from the Galpin Motors broadcast booth, and you can stream all the Dodgers games all season long INHD on the iHeartRadio app again that keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. My house in Hollywood that had been overrun by squatters has been reduced to rubble. The house on Wiltern Avenue has burned down. The fire yesterday was the fourth fire at the property in about two weeks. Neighbors had been complaining about drugs, a constant flow of squatters, public nudity, and fires in the vacant home. Sean Colmes is confirmed he rejected a last minute plea deal ahead of his sex trafficking trials that to start next week. Not much as known about the deal, except that it would have included a lighter sentence in exchange for a guilty plea. The rapper and music mogul is facing charges of abusing and coercing women for years. Jury selection is set to start Monday. To avoid what organizers say would be a logistical nightmare, the twenty twenty sixth LA Marathon has been rescheduled to avoid a conflict with the Academy Awards. Both were supposed to happen on the same day, March fifteenth, next year. The oscars will still be held on the fifteenth. A new date for the marathon will be announced soon. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers at the White House. Karen, you gotta pay attention to keep up with trump ks. Things down change fast. Just when you thought Michael Waltz was leaving the administration, it looks like he will be sticking around, but in a different role.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I mean, we were pretty careful yesterday as we reported that, you know, he was likely leaving his post as National Security Advisor, not necessarily getting fired from the administration, because then later in the afternoon, the President announced that he was moving him out of that position, but nominating him to serve as US Ambassador to the United Nations. Now important to note that that position needs Senate confirmation, so he'll have to have a hearing up on Capitol Hill, and you can imagine he is going to get a lot of tough questions, likely from both parties, about the signal chat that he started, that message chat where they were talking about sensitive details about military strikes in Yemen, and when Waltz of course mistakenly inadvertently added a reporter to the chat. That will come up, So it is not necessarily a guarantee that he moved into that new job, but he is out as National Security Advisor, and the White House is downplaying this as a firing or demotion. The Vice President said yesterday on Fox that President Trump has fired a lot of people he doesn't then give them Senate confirmed appointments afterwards.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think that that is a valid point, because when Trump wants someone gone, they're gone. So he must still like say, yeah, I mean, we can only surmise what he's saying, but it sounds like, you know what, this one's too big to just ignore. So we got to do something. But I still believe in you, So let's find another spot for you.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, And now it's putting it on Congress the Senate to approve it. So we'll see how that moves forward and whether or not Walt wants to go forward with the Senate confirmation hearing too, because again, it could be pretty messy and he could get a lot of tough questions. He hasn't really since the signal chat erupted. Reporters have asked him questions and tried to and ask the President questions, but he hasn't really faced the grilling about how that all went down and his handling of sensitive information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And as I mentioned, you got to pay attention to keep up. And it apparently that applies to people who work very closely with the president too, because it seems like Trump makes a decision and then the people around him find out about it.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 17: So Marco Rubio, the Secretary of State, is now going to serve as the interim National Security Advisor. He is the first person to do that simultaneously, those two jobs since Henry Kissinger did it in the Nixon administration. And yesterday, when the President posted this on social media, the State Department briefing was happening, so reporters were interrupting the briefing and telling Rubo's spokesperson that this was just announced and it was pretty clear that she had not known this was coming, and said, well, this is the miracle of modern technology and social media. She said it was an exciting moment in the briefing and that Rubio has worn several hats from day one. He's adding another hat to his portfolio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And do we know when those confirmation hearings will happen?
Speaker 17: No, nothing yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well we'll keep you posted. ABC's Karen Travers at the White House. Thank you so much. Have a great weekend, all right you too. The proposed gondola to Dodger Stadium may have hit a snag. Metro approved an environmental impact report, but a state appeals court just rejected that decision this week, saying that Metro needs to wait for a revised report to be completed. If the plans ultimately are approved, the project could still run into construction delays because Olympic Baseball is going to be played at Dodger Stadium during the twenty twenty eight Summer Games. LA's proposed budget cuts could eliminate a program that helps illegal immigrants find work.
Speaker 5: Garbassi's proposal includes the closure of the city's Day Laborer Program. Manager Herado Rubl Kampas says the day Laborer program operates seven centers around LA to connect immigrants with temporary employment.
Speaker 2: These are mainly individuals that do not have right to work and are often taken advantage of.
Speaker 5: The program received more than a million dollars in funding last year. City Councilman Unisses Hernandez has asked that the funding be restored in the current proposal. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man who was holding his baby daughter when he was shot by a San Diego police officer and later sued the city over the shooting, has been sentenced to almost fifteen years in state prison. The thirty year old was shot last May after police say he threatened his ex girlfriend, then grabbed and ran off with their little girl. Officers shot him several times as he tried to get away. The baby was not injured. Moves are being made to try to keep the money flowing to California's high speed rail project.
Speaker 8: The state's High Speed Rail Authority voted this week to approve contracts for the design of the Central Valley station and approved construction bids for the Fresno station. Board members say the Trump administration may pull federal funding promised by the Biden administration, and by not approving those contracts, federal money may dry up right now. The project is one hundred billion dollars over budget and has been laid several years. Jason Campedonia KFI news.
Speaker 1: San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephen says it was inhumane for Democrats and Sacramento to vote against stronger penalties for sex traffickers. Democrats on the Public Safety Committee voted down Assembly Built three seventy nine this week. It would have made it a felony to buy sixteen or seventeen year olds for sex.
Speaker 3: As a prosecutor, I can get more time for somebody tagging an inanimate wall than them herding a child by purchasing them, buying them like they're a slice of pizza or hamburger for sex. She says.
Speaker 1: Sex trafficking is an eight hundred million dollars a year industry in San Diego, with the average age of victims sixteen. President Trump assigned an executive order to cut public funding to PBS and NPR. Trump says the outlets get millions of dollars from taxpayers to spread radical, woke propaganda disguised as news writer Rick Steves, who pays for his own travel show on PBS's Public Broadcasting is an oasis of thoughtfulness.
Speaker 10: I don't think my shows would see the light of day anywhere else on the dial because they're not designed to make an advertiser happy. They're designed to do what we talk about in public broadcasting all the time, to inspire to educate.
Speaker 1: During a Congressional hearing last month, The heads of NPR and PBS denied being politically biased. A Soviet era spacecraft that was supposed to land on Venus in the nineteen seventies is expected to plunge back to Earth pretty soon. Space debris tracking experts say is too early to know exactly where the half ton massive metal might come down or how much of it will survive reentry. It's expected to re enter the Earth's atmosphere around May tenth. The seven hundred and eighty billion dollar leather industry is about to get a prehistoric shot in the arm.
Speaker 18: Three companies have joined forces to announce the use of Torontosaurus Rex DNA to create lab grown leather. They say the t Rex leather is better than other fake leather because the growing cells create their own structure, like match leather. One of those three companies was behind the Mammoth Meatball in twenty twenty three, which used DNA from the prehistoric like elephant as a way to show how cultivated meat can help replace the slaughter of animals. First products made from the prehistoric materials she'd hit late this year, with an initial focus on luxury accessories, like an Apex predator purse Michael Krozier KFI News.
Speaker 1: A prehistoric purse.
Speaker 6: Did they not see Jurassic Park?
Speaker 1: What could possibly go wrong? Okay, the mammoth meatballs. I am not eating lab grown prehistoric mammoth meat. Not happening, something else that I won't be doing. So yesterday we were talking about part of what we want to do. Well, I'm in Paris, Is I wanted to go maybe see the Mona Lisa at the Louver and then I said Will and I were talking and I said, I think I might have seen it at the Getty, and then we googled it. Well, it's never been at the Getty, so it's a made up memory that I've created. I think I saw Van Goh. But anyway, and now we're not going anyway because we just checked and the Louver has sold out. There might be a way, well, we checked our concierge at our hotel and everything and they're like, nope, sorry, sold out.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, usually another way around.
Speaker 1: A woman who barricaded herself in middle school in Baldwin Park has been taken into custody and taken to the hospital following a nearly twelve hour standoffs. She hold up in an office in the main building on campus shortly before ten yesterday morning. She finally came out around nine thirty last night. Classes for today have also been canceled. The House has voted to overturn the Biden Administration's approval of California's electric Vehicle mandate. That rule would have banned the sale of gas powered cars starting in twenty thirty five. The state could still make its own vehicle pollution rules through a clause in the Clean Air Act, as long as it gets a approval from the EPA. A man from Santa Clarita S's he plans to plead guilty to hacking the personal computer of an employee of the Walt Disney Company to illegally download confidential data. In his plea deal, Ryan Kramer will admit that he took more than a terabyte of confidential data from thousands of Disney Slack channels. At six oh five, it's handled on the news, We've got an AID ship bound for Gaza caught fire after it was attacked. Get the latest on that. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of Home on KFI. It's our house and this week our yard whisper Dean Sharp morning.
Speaker 6: Dean, Good morning, Amy.
Speaker 1: So we're going to talk about the birds and the bees and the plants in the trees and getting your house and your home ready for spring.
Speaker 11: Right spring is here. We got this weird spring weather. I mean I should say weird just because I don't think we're used to having such a full spring as what we're having.
Speaker 6: You know, it's.
Speaker 11: Sunny one minute, half an hour later, it's sprinkling again, then it gets cold and it's warming. I mean, we're having a real spring in southern California this year, and.
Speaker 6: It's time. It's time to get ready.
Speaker 11: People here in SOCW we don't so much think about spring cleaning as we think about getting out into our yards and getting everything tuned up.
Speaker 6: This is gonna be the year. This is the year that I'm going to have.
Speaker 11: More life in my yard, more bird song and all of that kind of thing.
Speaker 6: And we're going to help you do that this.
Speaker 1: Weekend, all right, And so let's just look at because there's lots of factors to come into play. And there are good bugs, there are bad bugs that you need to consider as you're putting your yard together.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, mosquitoes are on everybody's mind right now, because with the cold and the additional bits of rain and moisture come opportunities for mosquitoes to get really active once the weather starts warming up, and mosquitoes actually aren't that difficult to handle if you know what to do and what not. Probably the biggest thing that I warned people not to do is don't waste money on bugs appers, And unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation out there about mosquitos. In fact, if you go into Amazon, which normally can be a really reliable source of information and products, but if you type mosquito control into Amazon, you're going to get a ton of references and hits on you know, UV bugs appers, And I think they make everybody satisfied because at nighttime, you're sitting around and you know, you hear that I.
Speaker 6: Got another one.
Speaker 11: Here's the thing, though, I'm not going to tell you that no mosquito has ever been killed by a bug zapper, but if it has happened, it's totally accidental because mosquitoes aren't attracted to UV light, not the way that other insects are. They are not attracted to that UV black light in the bugs apper, So you're really wasting your money when it comes to mosquitos on that kind of stuff. What mosquitoes are attracted to are us exhaling. They see co two plumes above sources of animals, and so they can smell it and they zero in on us and they find us because we exhale.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, here's something bigger that also has wings that you want in your yard, and that's birds, absolutely, and you can attract them too, right.
Speaker 6: You can.
Speaker 11: You can totally attract birds. Birds, though, I got to tell you, are attracted once a yard is really functioning as a habitat for them. There are a lot of birds in our area, like in my neighborhood. There are a ton more birds in my yard than there are in most of my neighbor's yard because we've worked really hard at building a habitat. And habitat means that you've got water for them, they've got food for them, that you've got places of cover for them, nesting areas for them, and that things are happening on a native level. And I say native because really the beginning of the food cycle for birds starts down in the soil with worms and insects. Again, and unless you've got native plants going on your property, you're not actually going to have many insects. And a lot of people are like, good, I'm glad, I hate insects. Yeah, but the birds show up because they know that there's that kind of stuff happening in your yard. And the fact of the matter is that our insects in our area have very very narrow diets, they have very very narrow needs, and they have no use for non native plants.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So you're going to be talking about the circle of life in your own backyard coming up all week.
Speaker 11: In long and I will be holding my little cat up and we will be singing the Lion King song.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I love that. Okay, So did you do you know what tomorrow is? It has to do with what you're talking about tomorrow? No naked gardening day.
Speaker 6: Naked gardening day.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know anything about it?
Speaker 6: That's not happening.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I think San Francisco is the top rated city in at least California for naked gardening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, why am I not surprised? I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, you can listen to all of this is going to be such fascinating information as you're putting your backyard and your front yard and your habitats together to make your home more hospitable to our little birds and bees. And we'll tell you, I'm sure you're going to be talking about bees a lot more too. We don't have time to do it today, but I know that you're a big backer of bees, and I love bees too. So that is tomorrow from six to eight am, and then again on Sunday from nine to noon. And it's called Home. It's right here on KFI with our very own Dean Sharp. You can also follow Dean at Home with Dean.
Speaker 6: That's right, Thank you each.
Speaker 1: All right, it's time to get in your business and for that we need to go to Bloomberg's Courtney, Donahoe and Donaho You got a big download right before we got on the horn, right.
Speaker 7: Yes, exactly, the Jobs Report Happy Friday. There is no better indicator of economic health than the employment report, which we get every month, and this is why there is so much interest around it, especially with all the chaos around tariffs. But it ended up being better than expected. America added one hundred and seventy seven thousand jobs last month. The unemployment rate holding steady four point two percent. So this shows that despite all the concerns about the economy and all the government job cuts that we've been talking about, it seems that hiring is holding up for now.
Speaker 1: Wow that I think a lot of people are going to be surprised. But I would imagine the administration will be talking about that a lot today exactly.
Speaker 7: But the big question is what's ahead, And with all the uncertainty around tariffs, yeah, employers are probably going to have a very difficult time making hiring decisions when they're trying to figure out where their costs are going to lie. So when I was digging into the report a little bit more, some of the big employers this past month were healthcare, transportation, and warehousing that led the hiring games.
Speaker 4: So because this came in.
Speaker 7: Better than expected, we did see stock index futures jumping right after this report. SMP futures they're up forty eight points right now, the S and P five hundred. By the way, it's on track for its longest winning streak since two thousand and four. Dow futures are up three hundred and forty points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm looking at the little ticker right now. So the Dow is up up over forty one thousand. Again, what was the high? Like forty five?
Speaker 7: It's something along that line. I have to remember I actually have to look for that. But I mean, we are you know, I should have those numbers all the time, and in the back of my head that's getting older and older.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's talk about something else then. Let's talk about Amazon and Apple's earnings and how those are going to be tied to tariffs and what could happen there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so taking a look at Apple, the company is warning that tariffs are going to increase costs. Apple also saw worse than expected sales in China in the recent quarter. Amazon is bracing for a rougher business climate in the coming months, and they said it's all because of tariffs. And they posted decent first quarter earnings, but they give a forecast for this quarter that was weaker than Wall Street expected. So this is the whole big takeaway from this. Results from both of these showed that the economic disruption from the tariffs have reached the tech industry, at least the part of the tech industry that sells physical things. It was a much different message that we got earlier this week from other tech companies, that's Microsoft, Facebook, parent, Meta, Google, parent, Alphabet. Their results showed that for now, it's business as usual when selling digital goods such as ads or cloud computing services. So it's a very different picture when we look at the types of businesses within technology.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a quick question for you because you mentioned something about forecasts and how people like and we've talked about this over the last couple of weeks, that some companies are pulling their forecast. Yeah, and a number of them. I wanted to ask you about that because don't they have to do I mean, isn't that part of what they have to do as a publicly traded company.
Speaker 7: No, not necessarily. Okay, you don't have to You don't have to do that. And actually some of the companies, it's kind of well known on the street that they either are usually a little bit under when companies say it's like, oh, well, our growth is coming, our growth for the next year is going to be XYZ. A lot of people on Wall Street now, well, it's sometimes it's a little bit higher than that. So they track they don't really have to say what's ahead. But if they say it and then they pull it. That's where everybody goes, oh, way, hey, wait a minute, what's going on here? So that's usually that's where a lot of the concern is coming up right now with all of these withdrawn forecast. But it is a different game. When many of these companies said this maybe a year ago, or six months ago, or even a quarter ago, it was way different. And now that we're hearing this TARFF policy coming down the line.
Speaker 1: All right, getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho and sorting things out. We appreciate all the insight. Thanks Courtney. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 7: Enjoy, have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: All right, you too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The ports of la and Long Beach are getting ready for a slowdown, with nearly sixty shipments canceled in May. Tariff says high as one hundred and forty five percent on Chinese goods or cutting imports, and port workers are already seeing their hours being cut. The port's executive director, Jean Crocasa's businesses are scrambling to find factories to house their goods because there's not enough space in the US.
Speaker 2: Even if there was a decision to put a factory in the US right now today as we're talking, probably takes about five years.
Speaker 1: A thirty five percent drop in imports is expected in the next week. Americans will soon get another view of former President Biden and his wife Jill.
Speaker 15: According to ABC, the duo its scheduled to appear on The View next Thursday to discuss topics including life after the presidency, Biden's legacy, Democrats election losses, and the current political landscape.
Speaker 1: Yfis Mark Mayfield says Biden has been on The View ten times over the years, and last year was the first sitting president to appear on the show. The La City Council's moving toward forward with a plan to require all pets in the city to be microchipped. The idea is to reduce the number of lost animals and keep them out of the city's six overcrowded shelters. LA County already requires pets four months and older to be microchipped. Vice President Van says Mike Walls is not being fired as National Security Advisor, He's being promoted to you an ambassador On Fox News Vance said Secretary of State Marco Rubio will be the interim National Security Advisor. The La Fair La County Fair that is gets underway today in Pomona. The theme is Art Unleashed. The runs through Memorial Day. It's sixteen days, so it's not every single day, sixteen days through Memorial Day. And yes, it still seems early. That's because fair organizers moved the fair from September to May. That happened back in twenty twenty two to try to get around the summer heat, which was affecting attendance. We're just minutes away from a handle on the news. What will Sesame Street do? President Trump's looking at cutting funding for PBS and NPR. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Will Gans, their multi platform reporter. I love your title, so do I.
Speaker 2: It makes me feel like I've sold a ton of records and one of the world's greatest pop stars, so I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Will, If you've been waiting to actually go to a movie theater to see a movie, now might be the weekend to do.
Speaker 3: It might be the weekend.
Speaker 2: Thunderbolts is the latest entry into the Marvel cinematic universe, and people are saying that this is the movie that is breathing fresh life into that franchise, and it's one of the greatest Marvel offerings in years. It's a little bit darker. It's more caricter driven, I would say, than action.
Speaker 6: Driven or just star studded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there are stars in it.
Speaker 6: Of course.
Speaker 2: Florence Pugh is the lead here, David Harbor from Stranger Things. Julia Louis Dreyfuss sort of plays the bad guy, which is very, very fun. But it's great. I mean, it has action for the people who do love that. It starts basically basically with Florence Pugh jumping off the world's second tallest building. But yeah, it's darker, it's introspective, it has something to say more than just explosions and familiar faces. So people are loving it, critics and fans alike, and you know, people are excited about the direction that I think it sets up the Marble cinematic universe to head in. And for anyone who's been wondering why there's an asterisk in the title Thunderbolts, the movie will answer that. And I will also say, if you're going to see it, make sure you stick around. There's a mid credit scene and a post credit it's seen that both feel sort of important for anyone who cares about the Marvel cinematic universe.
Speaker 1: I think it's so fun how they've made the credits like a big thing now and maybe figured out a way to get people to stay to watch it, because there's a lot of people who work on movies. The other thing, I think I love that Julia Louis dreyf Has plays a bad guy because like, remember Harrison Ford played a bad guy in another Marvel movie in The Hulk, right, No, yes, yes, And I think it's fun to see these people who we kind of consider as funny or heroes or whatever, they get to dig into a juicy bad.
Speaker 2: Guy role exactly. And when it's Harrison or Julia Louis dreys Is, who have you know? She is the most Emmy Award winning actress ever, a person ever. Yeah, I bet they're probably like, what can I add to my repertoire? You know, how can I keep things interesting for myself? And so they play villains?
Speaker 1: I love it, okay? And are they One other question? Are these from comic books? Are they newly create characters because we're not going to see any of the old Marvel universe characters right right.
Speaker 2: They are not newly created like some of them have popped up in you know, Marvel movies from a long time ago, like The Black Widow, the Scarlett Johansson movie. Some of these characters were ink So they're not brand new, but they are. They've never had they've never been the focus of a Marvel movie yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, going to back to the small screen. Love Anna Kendrick on the fence about Blake Lively with all the nastiness being played out in court, but they've teamed up for a favor.
Speaker 2: Yes, another simple favor, So there was a simple favor was the first one. This is the sequel and it's streaming on Amazon Prime Video as of this week.
Speaker 17: And this is.
Speaker 2: One that I watched it and like, was I, you know, blown away by incredible screenwriting or you know, brilliant oscar worthy performances. No, did it make me feel like I was on vacation in Capri. Yes, the fashion, the fashion is stunning. They shot on location and it's you know, it's a good murder mystery with like really sort of fraught female friendship frenemyeship, which you know, Anna Ketrick and Blake Lively do very very well. So you know, it's one that I think if you don't want to spend a ton of brain power, but you want to just sit back and you know, feel like you're on vacation. Another simple favor is a good one. You know, there's a murder within the first fifteen minutes of the movie, and you know it's just who did it and which of these sort of amalgam of shady people might be responsible. It's a fun watch and those two, yeah, are great. And like I said, if you want to feel like you're on vacation, you will.
Speaker 1: I am. I'm going to feel like I'm on vacation in about four hours.
Speaker 2: Oh where are we going?
Speaker 1: We're going to Paris?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Ye, and I'm so stupid excited.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 11: That's going to be great.
Speaker 1: Yes, So next week you're going to be in the capable hands of Heather Broker. She's filling in for me, and she'll be lovely to you and always enjoy our talks. Will gans have a wonderful weekend. We'll talk to you in a.
Speaker 6: Couple weeks, all right, he sounds good.
Speaker 3: Take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. President Trump has announced and executive order challenging state laws allowing non citizens, including illegal immigrants, to attend college with in state tuition rates. Trump notes that out of state Americans would have to pay higher tuition to attend the same schools. In California, non resident students can qualify for in state tuition if they attended high school, adult school, or community college for at least three years in the state. Collection efforts are about to start on student loans that are in default. Kfi's Brian shuks Is the Department of Education plans to start collecting Monday.
Speaker 19: Borrowers could be referred to debt collectors or have money deducted from their paychecks. Student loan repayment requirements were paused in March twenty twenty due to the COVID nineteen pandemic. The Biden administration opted not to resume collections and attempted to forgive student loan debt.
Speaker 1: At effort was struck down by the Supreme Court. Animal advocates are urging Angelinos to adopt a pet to help lower overcrowding at the city's six animal shelters. More than nine hundred dogs are being held at LA Animal Services shelters. Weekend. Adoptions are being discounted to encourage more people to come out and adopt a pet. Every pet comes spade or neutered, vaccinated, and microchipped. And Coachella for Kids is happening outside the Autry Museum.
Speaker 4: The tenth annual Great Big Family Play Day is happening this weekend. It's been dubbed Coachella for Kids because this family friendly festival features live music, carnival rides, interactive exhibits, and activities for all ages.
Speaker 9: This year, for the tenth we really focused on the musical entertainment that's of coming out with your family for a music festival that you know everybody enjoys.
Speaker 4: Festival organizer Tracy Fredkin says the goal is to introduce parents to products and experiences that will hopefully make.
Speaker 1: Their lives easier.
Speaker 4: Tickets to Coachella for Kids are still available for about thirty three bucks. How the Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, and as I just mentioned, you just heard Heatherbrooker. She's going to be filling in for me next week, so will. We're leaving you incapable hens as well. Take good care of her. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app