Speaker 1: So I did a thing over the weekendnial I don't. I left here on Friday, and on the show on Friday about nine o'clock, I said, I'm either going to get a dog or an electric bike this weekend. The reason I even got interested in an electric bike is my friend Brenda, who used to work at the station years ago. She has an electric bike. And I said, you're so fit. She's my age and she's got like the body of a twenty five year old. She's amazing and she's fit and she you know whatever. And I said, you're so fit, why do you have an electric bike? And she said, well, you still get exercise. But instead of being able to go twenty five miles, I can go fifty miles.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That means she can ride from here to like Saint Paul and back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there's so many trails and paths. And so we got on the air and we were talking about this, and then Eric from Eric's Bike Shop called in, and it was so cool because Eric is the fucking man when it comes to bikes and so and I recognized his voice right away because he used to do his own commercials and he's just kind of a soft spoken Norwegian Scanndalhoovian kind of a game. His last name is like scars Guard or something like that, you know what I mean. It's like such as Scanned a Hoovie and sort of a name. So he's on the phone and we're talking about these bikes and whether they're legal on trails, because you go on a trail a lot of the time it says no motorized vehicles allowed, right, yeah, yeah, And so it turned out that somebody sent us they are legal as long as they are not solely self propelled propelled. Okay, So if they're solely self propelled, then that is a motorized vehicle. You can't take it. But if it's partially self propelled. They've changed the laws in statuets because they want people to be able to use the trails, and people want to use the trails and an electric bike anyway, So I went to Eric's bike shop over the weekend and we got electric bikes. Yes, no, we don't have them yet, but we took a test drive. And I will tell you and by the way, I did not get a discount. I'm not getting paid by ericson any way whatsoever. They nothing about that at all, this is not an advertisement. You get on the bike and you start to pedal and you can feel the assist and it's like, oh, it's helping you along. It's really cool. And if you want, you can stop pedaling and pull the throttle just a little thing with your index finger and it'll propel you along. Now, the top speed is twenty miles an hour, so you're not blazing, but that's faster than most people pedal. I would say, yeah, you know, you see kids in the neighborhood and they are on ones that are more like an electric motorcycle. You see the kids in the neighborhood. They're just zipping around like little like little race car drivers. Yes, and they don't care and they don't look, and they'll pull out in front. So those are not allowed on paths, but you'll see them on paths anyway.
Speaker 2: Because those kids are little issues.
Speaker 1: Those youth both dark youths. So we ordered them. We don't get them for a couple of days and I'll be in Colorado when they come, so I won't get to write it for another week or so. But very excited about it.
Speaker 2: Yay, I'm excited for you.
Speaker 1: Yay, yay, And no dog yet, No, no, somebody has. I'm still getting you know, offers of dogs. And there was one that that did like a little like beagle Chihuahua kind of a mix. It was very cute. I said, well, do they bark a lot? And they said, yeah, she's kind of a barker. And I said, okay, well that's got the deal. That's a deal breaker. So I want to get a senior dog. I want to get like an eight year old, ten year old dog. I mean, did somebody's kind of abandoned or doesn't want anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My mom used to really like doing that, and we would get dogs that were not like super senior, but they would be older dogs because she wanted to give these older dogs a good life in the end of their life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rather than you know, being at the shelter.
Speaker 3: Really harder though then, because like you're only going to get so many years with them.
Speaker 1: True, yes, it's true, but I think you're giving this little creature, you know, a bed and some treats and scratches in a warm place by the fires that they just want and they need. And so we might get a senior dog. Plus they're usually housebroken by then, right until they start pean pooping on the floor. Josie, I'm looking at you, Josie. We adopted Rex when he was probably eight and Gracie when she was probably five, and they both lived about another five years or so. Okay, yeah, so yeah, all right on with the emails on the Minnesota Goodbye. Let's start off with this one, Dave Jenny Bailey. This is from Georgia, which I bring up her name because she what a beautiful name. I love that name, Georgia. I recently took an international trip with my parents in their early sixties. I'm twenty six, and let me tell you, somewhere between TSA and takeoff, the roles reversed. Suddenly I was the responsible adult and they were the ones that needed supervision, snacks, and possibly a. I went in expecting a relaxing family vacation, came out of it feeling like I just escorted two well meaning but wildly unpredictable exchange students across the globe. We land at our destination, we're waiting for the bags. My mom's suitcase gets rolled out of the plane and into the terminal, visibly vibrating, like aggressively vibrating. Everybody is staring. She doesn't hear it because she wears hearing aids, but my dad notices and says, your bag is shaken. She opens it up and right there casually, what do you think it is?
Speaker 3: I mean, I would say vibrator.
Speaker 1: No, it's a razor. Oh it's a razor. Yeah, okay, And I was thinking of the same thing as like, Okay, mom's a freak. She got a vibrator. Oh, my raizor, then proceeds to dig around in a suitcase for a while while it's still buzzing, like it's trying to escape airport security. I would have sprinted into the baggage carousel if it meant escaping the moment. But wait, on the way back, it gets better. We had a rough landing and all of a sudden, a loud sigh figh alarm sound starts going off from somebody's bag. People are looking around the flight attendants or craning their necks. I just know it's gotta be us. My dad had packed a portable radio why who knows, and apparently it thought we crash landed. It starts blaring this sci fi panic sound, and he's just sitting there laughing tells us that's my radio. He couldn't shut it off because we're taxing, So we all just sat there on the taxiing playing with this weird UFO Sirens soundtrack blaring while I slowly disassociated from reality. Georgia, you are a writer. You must have taken writing classes or worked for the Star Tribune or something because you're a writer. Eventually it stopped. I'm not sure I've recovered anyway. It got me thinking, have you ever look at your parents mid chaos and think, wait, these are the people who raised me. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face every day, Georgia. Well, Jenny and Bailey both have stories. Some you can tell, some you cannot. But I hear from these two all the time. Oh my god, you wouldn't believe what my dad did or I had to tell my mom to blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure I could come up with a bunch of them. But me and my sister, we have one story about my mom that we bring up all the time in front of her because we were all like in Ohio, which is where my grandma lives, where my mom grew up, grew up, and we're all like with family, and we're having this big long conversation and my mom is the one disassociating. I can tell she's just kind of sitting there like staring, and we're all chatting, talking, And then I look over at my mom and make eye contact with her, and she looks up at me, and she goes church and we're like church. She's like, yeah, aren't we talking about church? No, And so we just bring it up all the time where we just go. We'll be in a conversation and me and my sister will just go church. Yes, church, because girl, what are you talking about? So she's gone slightly batty in her old age. I love my mom so much, though.
Speaker 1: So Mom sixty five sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four or five something like that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I worry about going batty myself.
Speaker 2: Well it's sorry happened, honey.
Speaker 1: I don't think it has it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're slowly going back.
Speaker 3: For like ten years now, well even longer. But I've worked with you for almost ten years.
Speaker 1: Go on.
Speaker 3: I'd say a few things have changed your ability to pay attention to me when I speak.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidd.
Speaker 3: That's always just been your thing, is I'll know if you're paying attention or not, and I will immediately be able to be like, dam it, did you hear me?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'll literally say I'm sorry, I wasn't listening, and that's on me. I think it's just because I'm like easily distracted.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be honest.
Speaker 3: I don't even think it has nothing to do with age, and honestly, I think is.
Speaker 2: A man thing.
Speaker 3: It is just like my dad will literally like just ignore me for ten minutes straight. I'll be like dad, Dad, Dad, and he just doesn't pay attention until I'll be like, Dad, are you listening? You know, Like it's just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I grew up with a dad like that, so okay.
Speaker 1: I find myself sometimes like when Alison comes over or Carson's on FaceTime and Susan does most of the talking, and I'll be like kind of like tune out sometimes and I don't mean to, but then I'll be like, so, Carson, did you blah blah blah, and he'll say like I just told mom that I like, okay. He's home from the Willow Avalon tour and it went really well. I face he faced time last night and he was just in such a good mood. He was tired. He's still tired from the tour, and he's got a couple of weeks off till he goes back out with Willow Avalon again May.
Speaker 2: So he his plans in his time off.
Speaker 1: That's what I asked him. I really, he's still got like paperwork to do on the tour and collecting bills and billing people and things like that. All right. Next one from Aaron, she says, I felt the need to write in after I heard the listener write in about needing a coach signer for a car. I am struggling to tell my point. My parents, my boyfriend and I are getting a puppy. We did a lot of research on budgeting. It's going to be okay. I know how much work animals are and expensive they can be, but I've got my boyfriend's support financially and physically. I have been supported by my parents through most of my twenties. I'm twenty seven now. In both vehicles I started with were gifts from my parents. My parents helped me buy a horse when I was twelve, paid for boarding lessons, etc. I've taken care of the bills since I graduated for college and got a big girl job. Unfortunately, with just starting a career, I hadn't exactly made a lot of money to comfortably support myself on my horse. I do okay, but when I get a big or unexpected vet bill or truck maintenance, I struggle and sometimes they help. Okay, by the way, don't be embarrassed about that. That happens a lot. As a matter of fact. I know people in my neighborhood that are probably in their thirties and mom and dad made the down payment on their house. Yeah, so it's not uncommon. Fast forward to now about a new truck much needed. But now I got a car payment, got to pay my own insurance, which is completely understandable. I work multiple odd in type jobs and I'm prepared to do this till I can fully support myself on one job. My boyfriend is great at splitting costs, so I feel will do fine with the cost of a pup. But I know my mom is not keen on this, and I think a dog will help me maintain a better schedule and support my physical and mental health. I just don't know how to tell her, and I really worry I'll have some big financial stress come up which will cause me to put my tail between my legs and ask for help. I'm a big girl. I can make my own choices, but obviously my parents' opinion is valuable. I know they won't be a fan of this dog, but it's really something I want to move forward with, and I've already put a deposit down. Just want some advice on how to tell my parents I'm getting a puppy. Well, I think you're well within your rights to get a puppy. I mean, you're an adult, but I can see how they might be annoyed if they are still helping you financially.
Speaker 3: How do you feel when Donna calls you and wants five more cats and you're like, great, that's.
Speaker 2: More for me.
Speaker 1: The difference is Donna is very irresponsible in all financial areas of her life. She always has been. She's never been good with money. Whenever Donna got money, she would always have to spend it. And she gave away my dad's inheritance. I think I told you about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's some guy that scammed her.
Speaker 1: Yep. She got like sixteen thousand dollars from when my dad died, and she went to work and bragged about it, and some guy said he needed it for law school. This guy probably can't even spell law school, and she gave him a big part of it. So you know, she was just she wants so badly for people to like her. Yeah, and that is one of Donna's biggest flaws is she just really really wants people to like her, which is really it's sweet, but it's also it's annoying. It's like, stop trying so hard to make people like you. You know, people will like you better if you're just yourself.
Speaker 2: That these people aren't that in a Donna situation.
Speaker 1: No, So anyway, I don't really know. I would say, you know, mom and dad were going to be responsible for this myself, but you're going to need to some point borrow money for a vet bill or a truck bill or something. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 4: If it's just like that, they're concerned that, Okay, well you gave us money for our house and now we want to get a dog. But like, I think the rationale to your parents could be like, well, we'd want this house to feel like a home, and a dog will help it feel like a home. And I think that's like a valid excuse. I guess that maybe hopefully your parents will understand.
Speaker 2: I would hope, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At the same time, I will put a little bit on you and say you're not entirely in the right. I mean, if you are still, you know, at your age, being supported by mom and dad here and there, and you're going to get a puppy that you might not be able to afford, there's a little bit of me that says, you know what, you're not entirely in the right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I agree with that too, but I will I mean, I've just never had anybody to rely on for money my entire life. It's always been on me. I could never rely on my parents to help me out if I was in a pickle. So that's the life I grew up, and so I feel like that's how other people should be. But I know that's probably not fair to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, next one, Hello all from Kelly. We were talking about the recurring dream that I have. I have it very very frequently, almost every night, and it's not a bad dream. It's just a dream where I'm trying to get somewhere, but the plane is leaving it in an hour, and I still got to all my stuff and I haven't packed yet, and I get this over here, and I gotta clean up, and I gotta find this, and I get to get the airport or whatever. This person says. I have the same recurring dream I'm supposed to be going somewhere. I'm not packed, I can't find the things I need, people are waiting on me, and for some reason, it's taken me forever to get my stuff together. I don't know how you don't find those dreams stressful. I find mine to be very stressful. I also have the dreams that I'm back in school. I get a book report due tomorrow but I haven't read the book, or a huge project that I haven't yet started. You'd think at thirty five, I wouldn't have those dreams anymore. Anyway, love listening to you guys. Thanks for entertaining us each day.
Speaker 3: I still have like school dreams too. Mine are always about like I didn't have enough college credit to graduate in time, which we have a dream expert on once, and they said that, like usually that means, do you feel like you're not getting enough credit in your life where you deserve it?
Speaker 2: Or something I don't really.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and confess something. I think I'm going to have told you this one. Not very often, but once a month or so, I will have a messy, messy, disgusting dream about poop where I've I've got I've got poop everywhere, I've got it on my hands, I'm trying to wipe it off with a towel that's got poop on it, and it's everywhere. The toilet is full of poop and I'm trying to like clean it off, and the toilet sees got poop all over it. I think in the last one, I usually had poop in my mouth and it was just everywhere.
Speaker 2: Stream.
Speaker 3: Poop dreams are a real thing.
Speaker 1: What does it mean? Though?
Speaker 3: It means that you are holding onto something you need to release, because I seriously, yes, like two months ago, I was having poop dreams too, and so I was doing some research because I was like, I've never had these before in my life. And it's like you're holding onto like a grudge or you're holding onto something you need to like confront that you just need to like release. That's what's no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wow, that actually kind of makes a lot of sense, and that kind of coincides with when I started having shit dreams.
Speaker 3: His dreams is so weird. I mean, it is your subconscious so it's just like it's really diving into something that you probably suppressed or something.
Speaker 1: Does anybody else want to admit that they've had shit dreams where it's like you got it all over your hands and you try to wash it off, but the water has got shit in it. And oh wow, I'm glad you're getting a big kick out of that, Bailey. The more I say poop and shit, the more you laugh. I love it. And onto the final email from Aaron in Plymouth, and Aaron is he is a big supporter of the show and he doesn't write in very often, but he is usually on favorite musical moments and he's like, Hi, this is Aaron in Plymouth. And then he'll say home of and he'll say something really witty and very funny, So Aaron shout out to you. He says, Hey, day, point of correction in your response to the discussion of the Little Pilot girl. We were talking about that girl last week on the podcast that died. She was six years old and she was flying a publicity stunt set up by her parents across the country, and they took off in bad weather and she died. She was Jessica DuBroth. I think I called her Jessica McClure. That was the baby who fell down the well in Texas. Jessica's as for advance and by the way Jessica McLure lived, they were able to get her out as for Advanced Placement classes because I said, what does AP stand for? I loved him. I took enough AP classes and tests in school that I entered college with three semesters worth of credits and was able to earn a bachelor's in two and a half years. AP is a real time and money saver.
Speaker 3: Definitely a money saver and obviously time too. But I remember my I'm so happy I did AP psych because if I would have taken AP psych in college it would have been a harder. But b I also did AP stats and that helped with like a math credit as well for me. But I did like math, so I wouldn't have been super against having to take that in college. But I'm so happy I didn't have to take psych because I did like libeb and you'd have to do all these like random requirements that didn't have shit to do with your degree, and so I'm happy I didn't have to take that in college.
Speaker 4: I think if I recommend, if like a high schooler say, like, what do you recommend AP PSO all of that, I would recommend PSO or like college in the schools, sometimes they have like CIS classes as well, because you automatically like get the college credit with AP Like AP is great, but you have to take a test and pass the test with like a three, four or five. Like you can't get a one or two on the test, So you have to like not only take the class, but pass the test as well in order to get college credit.
Speaker 1: Can I ask personal questions? Sure your student loans paid off? No?
Speaker 2: No, I have maybe like three thousand dollars that left.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh you're almost there.
Speaker 2: I'm almost done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same question for you, Jenny.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I paid mine off pretty at a young age because I was paying in huge increments at a time. I didn't do shit with my life in my twenties. For the most part, I just worked multiple jobs and paid my student loans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I pay like the smallest amount for every month, just because why not. But I paid off all the ones that had like the most interest, so I like low interest ones that are still going gotcha, Yeah, but only like three thousand left.
Speaker 3: And that's why I paid mine off. I do like the monthly payment than every like a handful of months. I do like four thousand dollars at a time, just because like, I hate paying interest on things. Yeah, So I was like, I don't want this to keep compounding and getting worse. So I tried so hard to pay off mine, like as quick as I could.
Speaker 1: Right. Any thoughts on the Minnesota goodbye or any thoughts that you want to bring up, or maybe you've had a shit dream, also, then send in an email. We love your emails. That is the heart and soul of the podcast is your emails, And it's a lot of fun for us because we never know what you're going to write about, whether it's puppies or a poop dream or advanced placement classes. Send your emails all into Ryan's show at KDWB dot com. And if you've never had an email read on the show before, include your address and we'll have Secretary bre mail you a staff writer sticker