Speaker 1: One of our favorites talk some hoop. It is Howard Beck on a Friday afternoon. Howard, Happy Friday, sir.
Speaker 2: How are you Spence doing great? How are you sir?
Speaker 1: I'm well, I'm well. And I got to start with with Jalen last night, an iconic shot that will live in Nick lore. And you know, we'll get into kind of the nuts and bolts of what's next, because the Celtics are a nightmare matchup, not just for New York but for everybody. But what is the right way to frame that moment and what it meant for Nick fans? Just the snapshot moment of Jalen knocking down that shot to beat the Pistons in Detroit.
Speaker 2: Incredible shot, Incredible moments. I do know. I'm here in New York until I have a lot of friends and others in my world to our Knicks fan and I think, you know, like part of it is like there's just the thrill of it, the excitement of that shot and how important it was and how iportant it was just to kind of finally put down this Pistons team that was you know, really like stressing them out throughout this series, like they the Pissons at every shot to win this series. We can get back to that in a minute.
Speaker 3: But it's been an.
Speaker 2: Interesting season for the Knicks and their fans because frankly, it's been the kind of thing where nobody has been particularly I don't feel like the people I know, at least have been particularly confident in how this season was going to go that ever since they brought in Towns and Bridges and said goodbye to Evincenzo and Hartenstein, the personality of this team changed since last season, and they weren't quite as gritty. Brunson obviously is Josh hart Is, but I think Knicks fans in general have had a little bit of anxiety about this team, not sure how good they'd ultimately be, whether they actually could you know, go up against the Celtics and the Cavs for that matter, And so now it was like, are we going to even get out of the first round? And there were, you know, I think some moments of concern there, especially when the Pistons stole home court advantage winning Game two at the Garden. So Brunson once again, I mean, he's clutch player of the Year for a reason. The guy's amazing. He always comes through. And yeah, that was a really important one, and and and now now comes a really big challenge.
Speaker 1: So you know, we'll get to the Celtics matchup coming coming up in a bit. But I want to hone in on Jalen for a moment because, look, I know what we're supposed to do today, like we're on first take is say he's already the greatest Nick of all time or whatever. But but but look, I mean, and I'm biased, as you know, and I do appreciate it when a star player embraces the challenge of being great in New.
Speaker 3: York, because you can roll your eyes with that all you want.
Speaker 1: It just is different. And if you have an experience in the way you and I've experienced, you don't fully understand it. What do you What are you willing to say about who he is and who he can be based off the start of his career in New York?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I chuckled quite a bit earlier today when I saw that some but he had anointed him as the greatest Nick or potentially the greatest Nick of all time a little early for that. And you know, look that to get out of the second round would be nice you know, before we start making proclamations, he's already let's just say it this way to start with, in the last twenty years, he is by far the most important Nick. And with all due respect of Carmelo Anthony or anybody else who came along, I don't think that's a stretch at all. He's the most important Nixon's Patrick Ewing. That's an easy one. Is he at Ewing's level even yet? No, I mean, you ain't got them to you know, the finals, and you know, plausibly to the second finals, you know, even if he was hurt. And the Ewing era was a wildly successful era, the most successful era of Knicks basketball since the early seventies. And then we have to bring you know, Clyde Fraser into the mix, and Willis Reid and everybody else. So I mean, I think, you know, Jalen Brunton himself probably would not have the audacity to place himself on the Knick's mount rushmore. Just yet it's still early in his time here too, so like we don't need to be in a rush. But he is by far the most popular and most important and most significant Nick. I think of this millennium, right the last twenty five years, and we'll see how much more he can stack on top of that from here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, look, and all of that is well said, and I agree with it. It just you know, the day after you hit a game winning shot to be the sixth seed in the first round, and the superlatives are like he's the best nick ever, Like what are we doing? But ultimately I have really enjoyed watching the way he goes about his business. Do you feel, like Howard, there's so much pressure on him? I mean it's one four flat, it's isolation, it's Jalen make a play, and you know, maybe you can get away.
Speaker 3: With that from time to time.
Speaker 1: But offensively, what do you make of how much Tom asks of him? Like it's not just in crunch time, like it feels like if Jalen doesn't make the play, And look, when Jalen sits, they do try to play through Kat. We'll get to Cat in a moment, But what do you make of how they approach it's schematically offensively just asking him to do everything.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, I mean listen, you know Tom Thibodeau has you know, forgotten more about basketball than you and I will ever know. All the stuff right, all the caveats apply. I admit that I have been a little puzzled by certain aspects of Tips's approach, especially once they got mckail Bridges. Now, mckail bridges is not a point guard, and he's not necessarily even a point forward. But mckil bridges did a lot with the ball in his hands, as you know, the third wheel in Phoenix the year they went to the finals. He you know, spent a half season in Brooklyn being a plausible first option, even though that's not really what he's cut out to do. He can do a lot with the ball in his hands, is the point. And I thought there was an opportunity when the Knicks got Bridges that they could play through him some both as a guy who could lead the second unit instead of say like a you know, a kind of a combo guard like Deuce McBride or Cameron Payne. I thought Bridges could run the second unit and could at times take some of the ball handling duties and playmaking duties off of brunts and shoulders even when they're playing together, as a way of letting Brunson, you know, kind of take a breather now and then or just not to have the full you know, brunt of the defense on him at all times. And I was surprised just that this season it's still just been like, give the ball to Jalen Brunston and let him cook. And I'm not a big ISO ball guy or a big you know, like like Helio centrism guy. I don't think that just handing the ball to James Harden, Russell Westbrook or Luca for that matter, over and over and over again is the best strategy, especially in the playoffs when teams will feast on an offense that feels too predictable. And so I think both for Brunton's his health, his durability, his his energy levels, and also just what's effective, I think you have to diversify your offense more. And I have been puzzled by that aspect.
Speaker 1: So let's give Detroit some flowers, man. I mean four games, four straight game decided by I think three points or less, which has never happened in NBA history before. And we are in saw Lake City, where we are home of the worst team in the NBA. The moniker of the worst team in the NBA year ago was Detroit and they fall the five in the draft, so they didn't even get rewarded for such an anemic season. Of course, Kate was hurt last year, but former Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsay is assisting Trajan Langdon that roster construction. And look, Kate is awesome, but it's not just Kate. I'm very impressed with Jalen Duran, who picked up a lot of slack with Isaiah Stewart out. And then you know, are Thompson man, these Thompson kids. Hoof man, there's a lot of potential there. What do you make of this project that we've seen in Detroit, a great basketball city that's not had a great basketball team in a long long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I attended all of the home games in the series, the New York games, and so I got to see them up close and and you know, be around that team a little bit, and you know, super talented, super confident, great chemistry. They really seem to like each other. There's a good vibe around that team. That's always a nice sign. With a young team that's on the rise. Kate Cunningham is gonna make one of the All NBA teams. Those will be announced within the next week. Or two. You know, JB. Bickerstaff might be Coach of the Year that's coming soon, that announcement, and there's all the promise in the world. Like Asar Thompson, you know, I've talked to people who have said, like, if he hadn't been hurt part of this season, he you know, we might have seen him even outshine his brother for best defender. Like those two are gonna be, like they're gonna both be all defensive team for the foreseeable future and both in the running with each other, you know, potentially for well, no one's gonna be defensive Player of the Year because when Benyama is just gonna take it over for the next decade. But but Asar Thompson's the real deal defensively, Kate Cunningham is the real deal as a really big by the way point guard, Like he's like that guy's he's he's just a beast, like there's like most point guards can't defend him, can pass over anybody. So they've got their anchor and they've got good supporting players, and I think the key now is to just be patient. I have a story about this up with the Ringer dot Com today, in fact, about what comes next, and people around the league saying like, yeah, they need to slow roll this now. Don't don't rush it, don't say Okay, it's time to go all in. Just let these guys grow, because there were three best players are all twenty three and younger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no. I've been very impressed with what they've built.
Speaker 1: And you know, we always cheer for Dennis around here, so hopefully they can keep taking a step up, all right, Howard. For all of the celebration in New York about the first round victory, the Celtics are a seven to one favorite to beat the Knicks. And it's not just four and oh this year with an average margin of sixteen. It is eight and one in their last nine and quite frankly the only chance, opinion, Howard, the Nicks have as if the Celtics are compromised with their health, then they kind of are with Drew Holliday. But look, Derek White is a difficult matchup for Jalen. He'll be able to guard him. Peyton Pritchard sixth Man of the Year. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, it feels like if they go to five or six it.
Speaker 1: Might be a win. I don't have a lot of hope for the next round two. What do you make of this Celtic nick matchup?
Speaker 2: When they went out last summer and got Bridges using pretty much all their draft capital to get him. The first thing I thought was, you are loading up to try to deal with the Celtics because the Celtics are built primarily around Tatum and Brown, big wings who can do a lot with the ball in their hands, and you need as many really good to great perimeter defenders as you can get. Og Andnobi is you know, as good as they get one of the premier defenders in the league. Bridges. You'll get mixed reviews about him for the last couple of years of his defense, like maybe his reputation has kind of exceeded his actual production the last couple of years on the defensive side. But it looked to me like that was the plan, get Bridges between him and Anobi and Hart. Maybe you've got enough to at least, you know, deal with slow down whatever Brown and Tatum. I don't think that that's going to be enough. And I think that the flip side of it is that the Celtics are the most well built team you could have to disrupt the Knicks offense. Like, the Knicks offense has been great this season, but so much of it as Jalen Brunson, and it begins and ends with him. And think about the number of guys, like, assume Drew Holliday is healthy and can play. Drew Holliday one of the best defenders in the league, Derek White one of the best defenders in the NBA. Brown and Tatum both very very good defenders. They've got so many guys they can throw at Brunson and big long guys too. Like, I just think that it's going to be very difficult for the Knicks to function at the same level in this series. And defensively, like, the Nicks look pretty good against the Pistons, but this hasn't been a great defensive season for them. And the Celtics and just beat you in so many ways from so many places, with so many different guys. I just don't think they have a chance. No, I think most people will probably say Celtics in six. Respectfully, I think there's a chance at Celtics in five. I don't want to be disrespectful, but I think that that's on the table.
Speaker 1: Before we get to the series. Out this way some sad news, Greg Popovich, and you know, probably for the best because of the health, has decided that he can no longer coach the Spurs. He'll move into the front office. And look all the numbers and twenty two regular season victories, five NBA Championships, three NBA Coach of the Year Award wins for him, and you know, say what you want about the icy relationship at times with the media, I feel like, you know, this is among if not the greatest coaches that we've ever seen in this game. I wonder what your thoughts are, Howard on this Friday, as Greg Popovich has called it a career.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna put it this way. I think I think my ultimate reaction is I'm happy for him. I'm happy for him that he can walk away, you know, and like after a health scare and live his life like he's going to still be involved with the Spurs, obviously, but coaching is really taxing, and you know, there's there's just so much that goes into it physically, mentally, emotionally, and clearly he still loved it, but he'd already become the oldest coach at NBA head coach in NBA history, and you know, you hate that he has to walk away under these circumstances, but at least he's he is able to walk away and and you know, find a different kind of you know, work life balance at this stage of his life and still be involved. I think he's really important to you know, frankly, the soul of that franchise, like the Spurs themselves. Papovich and Arci Buford will tell you and have told me, and I told everybody over the last couple of decades, nothing is possible about Tim Duncan. Tim Duncan is the reason we haven't had a dynasty, the reason that we had all our success, the reason that we get all this adulation from you guys, The reason that you can say something about Spurs culture is because of what Duncan established. That's all true, and that's fine, and it's not false modesty, but it's it's short changing pop to say that pop wasn't a really really, really important part of setting the DNA for the franchise as well. That when we talk about Spurs culture and everything that that franchise values and has been about, it's pop. And I've kind of likened him to a modern day Red hourback where it was you know, our back was the thread that connected all of those Celtics eras from the sixties, you know, all the way through two thousand and eight when they won a championship with with Piercecarnett and Ray Allen and Pop I think represents that same kind of of you know, you know, franchise conscience again, heart and soul for them, and I just think it's important that he's still there as they move into this Webbanyama era and with a Pop disciple in miss Johnson now taking over as head coach. So, I mean, incredible career, great coach. Your point about the media is noted, but I will tell you that aside from those you know, very notable moments and sometimes they're tense, Pop is also phenomenal with the media and has been great to me when I've needed him, you know, one on one occasionally over the years. And my last thought on that and I'll just say it, people will take it however they want. I'm gonna miss his political conscience as well, and his strength and his ability to be outspoken and not ever afraid to say what's on his mind or what needs to be said in the times that we live in, and that is rare and so basketball aside, I'm going to miss that part as well.
Speaker 3: Here here well said all right, Lakers tea Wolves.
Speaker 1: I was not one that believed that the Luka del made Lakers the Lakers instantly a championship contender this year. We'll see what happens moving forward. My first question is am I a bad person for rolling my eyes that Lebron James apparently suffered an MCL spraying in Game five? Does that make me a bad person?
Speaker 2: I haven't even seen that. I've I've been like in the office all day working on other stuff. Did I miss a belated injury report?
Speaker 3: Yeah, about thirty forty five minutes ago.
Speaker 1: ESPN's reporting that actually in that de Vincenzo collision, he sprained his MCL And now we've got to deal with the whole He has a player option? Is he coming? Like? They lose? And now it's time to create stories. So we keep focusing on Lebron and I just this time of year. It drives me nuts, That's just what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I understand that there is certainly a segment of the of fans and media who react to all these things the same way you do with a big emoji. I roll that looked really bad when he when that collision happened, and I was, I was, you know at that moment, I think like was a Reggie Miller on the call, Like it was like there was kind of that grave kind of tone, like, oh my god, is this going to be it? And especially with a player at his age when you go down that hard and when it's when you're you know, you got hit at a funky angle and you think, oh, man, I hope this isn't going to be something serious. I'm going to take it to face value that if there's an mcl sprain report, that there's probably an mcl sprain. I don't think that that's necessarily a look at me again, the drama over whether he's gonna play or not. You know, we are as much a part of this.
Speaker 1: As he is.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest. We don't have to do this dance as the media, but we do. And credit to a lot of my colleagues out in LA and people who have reported on that team closely who have been saying, while Lebron has said he's got to take some time, which is natural after twenty two years, the reporting is but everybody expects he's going to keep playing. So you know, people can decide to obsess over it or not obsess over it. And if too many people in the media are obsessing over it, you can tune us out enough.
Speaker 3: All right. I will always cheer for our Rudy.
Speaker 1: I will. He was great here, he wanted to stay here, was bummed when he was traded. He's kept his residence here and I don't know, man, I mean, there are a few things here, like he was catching lobs over Gabe Vincent, who is the same height as my But at the same time, that was probably the best go beart playoff game that we've seen, and I was very happy for him.
Speaker 3: How did you digest that game, Howard?
Speaker 2: I don't know why poor catching strays are fair?
Speaker 1: You know, it's all good.
Speaker 2: Uh, Rudy Gobert was awesome. It helps that. Yeah, he's playing against the team that has no real centers and the one center they do have they lost faith in. But it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter who you put out there. Rudy did what he did, and you know, given all the shots in the strays that he's taken over the years. Uh, that was good to see. I'm I'm legitimately happy for him as well. And you know, it only gets harder from here. Uh. You know, we'll we'll see who they end up facing in the next round. But you know, if if if Rudy's going up against the Rockets, uh, you know that's got they got that jumbo front court there that they can put out there, He's gonna have his hands full defensively as well as offensively. And you know, if they get through them, you know, the thunder are going to present all kinds of other challenges too. But Minnesota's had a great resurgence here considering the way they started the season.
Speaker 1: All right, So Golden State has one more chance to get this done at home, and if not, they've got to go back to Houston. They are a five point five point favorite. What do you think happens tonight? This series has been so fun? What do you think goes down to night? Howard?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not one for predictions, but I yeah, I mean I'd be shocked if they lost it at home. You know, like I don't know what happened to them the other night, if that was just exhaustion and we're old, or we got complacent because we know we got a game back at home and we'll just take care of it there. And who knows what happened, but they just they got the doors blown off early and then they just kind of said, Okay, I guess it's not our night. And you can do that when you've got a big lead. They have blown three one leads and series before, famously infamously, but like this is this is a proud veteran team that no, they have a very small window considering the ages of their three stars. And you know, the Rockets have seized up at bad times. They are young and prone to too mistakes and be getting a little up tight themselves. I gotta think the Warriors close this out.
Speaker 1: All right, my friend, Well we will set you loose. Great stuff as always, man, the playoffs have been fun. And always appreciate your perspective.
Speaker 2: Have a great weekend, Howard pre expense ticker.
Speaker 1: All right, the great Howard Beck from The Ringer joining us on a Friday.
Speaker 3: Only one game tonight. It's the Rockets and the Warriors.
Speaker 1: As we talked about, they're a five point five point favorite, and then we do have some Saturday basketball luckily, as the Clippers and the Nuggets will play Game seven tomorrow at Ball Arena.