Speaker 1: Lisa, do you want to be best friends? Gosh, this is all happening so fast.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to say, so yes, so yes, I loved you. Whoa good night, Lisa, I have a best friend. You heard me say that, didn't you?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: We're still cool, all right? We are? My best friend is so cool? Four finger discount dude.
Speaker 1: Welcome to four figure discount. Why this week we're here to review a confusing episode of the Simpsons. It is not Lisa the beauty Queen. It is Lisa the drama Queen.
Speaker 2: I'm Dando and I'm guy, and much like this episode, I am confused and confusing that Lisa the drama Queen wa all over the place, and not in a good way.
Speaker 1: Well, I watched this right and we got a good ten minutes into it, and I just had in my notes, I don't exactly know what I'm watching, what the point of this is. It just feels so boring. I can imagine. But what I try to do now when I do reviews is I imagine myself watching it. And also if Elliott were watching this, because it seems it's supposed to be for adults and for kids. Sure, and I'm finding more and more recently it seems to be the rise of write the show for themselves, not necessarily the kids watching the show right, And I'm thinking Elliott would find this so boring. There is just nothing here. This Juliet character has just come out of absolutely nowhere. Emily Blunt apparently did the voice, which I was very surprised by. I was, indeed, I'm just going, who is this voice? Like, what is this accent? It just is British, so she is.
Speaker 2: But this is not Emily Blunt's usual voice.
Speaker 1: No, this sounded like a Simpsons cast. Mean, we're trying to do a British accent, I thought. And I'm watching this going I can't get emotionally invested in this. And what I what I've sort of realized is I think the reason I was getting baffled and not annoyed but just confused, was that I think they rushed the story too much, and they expected you to have all this emotional investment. At least they're having a new best friend. It was happening too fast. They kept and they kept beinging up, this is happening so fast, This is happening so fast. That was their crush of saying we're rushing this story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or an alternative way of looking at that is that first rush of sort of platonic love that can almost have an aspect of romantic love to it. Ah and yeah, a feeling like, Wow, I've found someone who's very in sync with me, very sympatico. It's that stepbrother's line, Wow, did we just become best friend?
Speaker 1: Yep, well best friend's romantic friend. That first realization is very special, it certainly. I mean.
Speaker 2: One of the notes that I took about this, and it was early on, maybe around the same time that you're thinking of, and that I think sort of was the core of the episode was it's always nice when you discover someone into the same shit as you. And this I'm going way back in the time there, but particularly in the pre Enginet era, you know. I mean, one of the first things that you know, we really enjoyed about the net when it came online was like, wait a minute, you like Blade Runner as well. I mean, that's a really sort of weird example to use because a lot of people like Blade Running, but you know, for a while, and particularly if you're in not necessarily in a big city or something like that, to discover. It's like, oh, wait a minute, there are people into the same shit that I am. And but when you meet someone like that in the wild. I've told this story before about you know, one night I was out at the nightclub just talking to some dude and we started talking about movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it started talking about stuff that I thought was like fucking Ark of the Covenant. No one's ever heard of this shit. And he's like, oh no, that's a really great movie. You know what, else as good as this guy?
Speaker 1: It is really good, you know what.
Speaker 2: No, it's like that meme where the guy in the corner said nobody knows that I'm such and such and while everyone's just having a party. But yeah, we ended up talking about movies, and I was like, that's kind of what this felt like. It's like, wow, am I getting drunk not just off the booze behind the bar, but on this guy's company whose name I don't remember, who I never saw.
Speaker 1: Again, but you remember him forever? Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Remember him because just a bad feeling of like, wait a minute, you like this as well? Or wow, we're talking the same language in a room full of people who are who are not predator.
Speaker 1: It was the same as when you go on a holiday with your family and a caravan parking is a kid that you just make friends with, and you go, I know, we're never going to see each other after this trip, but you're best friends forever. Yeah, oh yeah. What do they call it in.
Speaker 2: Fire club? Single serving friends? When you're next to some person on a plane and you I'm having a perfectly nice conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, yeah, that's exactly it. But this is based on a film. It is based on a film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's drawing inspiration from a film called Heavenly Creatures from I think nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: It's apparently Kate Winslet's first film.
Speaker 2: Certainly may be the first feature film, maybe not a first acting role, but also the first definitely the first film and maybe a first acting role for an actor named Melanie Lynsky, who is quite well known these days. She's on Yellow JACKETSSS.
Speaker 1: Kate When's in their feature film debut? Feature film debut.
Speaker 2: I think Kate wins would have been on a bit of English TV prior to this, but this really.
Speaker 1: Made her a star.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's written and directed by Peter Jackson of the Lord of the Lord of the Rings fame.
Speaker 1: For me though as a nineties kid, when you say Peter Jackson, it's not meanly get lord. No, no, you Peter Jackson. Peter Jackson. Is he like a big and tall like the actual director Peter Jackson.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, like like I don't know clothing, I have no idea for Peter Jackson. Yeah, I was wondering who it was, like Fletcher Giants is like quality men's tailoring, ye, or if it was like, hey for the for the slightly bigger dude, you for husky dudes.
Speaker 1: I thought Peter Jackson reminds me of kind of like a country road kind of via Peter Jackson.
Speaker 2: I'll get where you're coming from.
Speaker 1: Not not target, but also not yes fancy fancy not fancy pants. Yes, you can't get fancy pants. You can't get fancy pants anyway.
Speaker 2: But Heavenly Creatures is based on the true story about these two young women I believe in New Zealand who yeah, per formed this very tired bond. Yeah, with the best of friends, maybe even lovers, who knows.
Speaker 1: But I was wondering whether that this story was going to get interesting go down that one much is going. I'm thinking in my head, this is either going to be this Juliet is imaginary, or they're going to fall in love and LEAs gonna have her first lesbian sort of feelings. Didn't do either. It's very disappointed.
Speaker 2: It's from YSA storyline.
Speaker 1: I'll give you the Google description. Basically, it's just teenagers, Pauline and Juliet. Oh so Juliet's the same, yeah name all right, bond over a love of fantasy and literature. They conspire to kill one of the girls mothers when he tries to end the girl's intense and obsessive relationship. Okay, so now it makes sense knowing that. Yeah, still, what an odd thing to parody.
Speaker 2: It's an odd thing to parody because look, it was a well regarded movie at the time, and I think it's sort of Peter Jackson before this was Knownver is really sort of gory, splatstick horror movies.
Speaker 1: It was the Muppet one he did The Feeble Feebles and The Bad Taste, The Taste Come.
Speaker 2: Under and one either called brain Dead or Dead Alive.
Speaker 1: Dead a life great, incredibly gory.
Speaker 2: And this is kind of oh no, he can handle things in a bit more of a serious vein can work with act as well. Yeah, give him a lot of the rings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they were when they start production in those films would have been late nineties.
Speaker 2: Like ninety nine or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, eight. But he made his way. I mean this was I think Heavenly Creatures was distributed by Miramax, so I think it probably got an Oscar.
Speaker 1: For New Zealand. Film. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Biographical, good movie, yeah, yeah, but as you're saying, an odd choice to parody because it's not necessarily that well known and the storyline doesn't really lend itself to a half hour animated comedy. But that core idea, as I said, of finding someone that you're very, very in sync with and instantly becoming best brands, even though the foundation of that is kind of Yeah, this weird fantasy world that they create and bond over and we create together and bond over and almost become consumed by.
Speaker 1: It got old so fast, it really did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they couldn't find a way to resolve that. Now it will turn it into anything all that interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm watching this going, is this just the animators just trying to show off their animating skills.
Speaker 2: What a little Yeah, and otherwise it was just sort of playing their hits as well. I mean, you've got Juliette's family are a bit like the whole Jeremy's Iron thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say Allison's family. Allison. Yeah, that was literally exactly what I was thinking as well. Yeah, I watched I saw a good theory about Allison. By the way, so Allison, right, Lisa's Rival. The episode is called Lisa's Rival. That's when I'm a writer, right, a writer. Right. So she comes home and they're playing the game, and the theory was do you think that this was a setup by that dad and Alison to fuck over Lisa?
Speaker 2: Yeah, either a test to be like, yeah, I mean this is fun and games is like can you cut it in our house?
Speaker 1: Not even it? Can you cut it? They make themselves feel better. Yeah, apparently Jeremy Iron. The only real thing you can do is Jeremy's Iron. Jeremy Irons, Jeremy's Iron. They gave her a ship one deliberately just to make her feel stupid because this is like this chickens store. Okay, so this girl's gone.
Speaker 2: There's many many times and they've always.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, whenever someone's on her level, they bring it home and they bring them down.
Speaker 2: He's always going to say, all right, give me an anagram for Allgannis genuine class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that, or Jeremy Irons, and it's always yeah nothing. I thought, that's actually a bit of a heel tend that I never really thought about. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Interesting, it's more interesting than this episode. Yeah, yeah, we're talking about it because yeah, there's not a whole lot else in this.
Speaker 1: And but as a parody, it's as a parody, it's fine, yeah, yes, but it's just pointless the traditional guy.
Speaker 2: It's fine, okay, but there's other stuff in here that's This felt like a really mean spirited episode.
Speaker 1: My notes to on going why is everyone angry? Because I feel like that for a while there and the Simpsons everyone was always angry, bitter, and they've kind of shifted a little more positive in recent times. This episode was a holdover from last season, but also the writer of this episode was Brian Kelly. He hadn't written an episode for five seasons, so maybe he was still stuck in that season fifteen mentality of Homer's a buffoon jerk wanker and everyone's angry in Springfield because Homer was just deplorable. In this felt like everyone was yeah, everyone was not everyone everyone is mean in Springfield? Why is everybody mean?
Speaker 2: I'm just recalling a sitting from a recent episode that we covered where you've got squeaky boys teen lou up your car, Governor, but he's doing in the English accident the guy will buss it, don't touch me. That's the kind of anti social attitude that I know. I kind of like in The Simpsons, where it's not people are just angry, but people are kind of like, I just want to get through my day.
Speaker 1: Man. Even like Bart's trying to help Lisa pick out something and she's berating him for it, and he points out, I'm just trying to help you ask for my hop and I'm given it to you. And because that's not what you what you're yelling at me, I'm thinking, no one is nice. March is nice. Yeah, Marche has just become a punching bag. I hope it was so passionizing and rude to March here with the point where she says something in home and copies and he goes, if you say so, March. If you say so, if you said at first, that's that's fine, making it just gaslighting you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not a not a good episode.
Speaker 1: No, this wasn't this wasn't good this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we were trying to accentuate the positive here and look, sorry that was.
Speaker 1: A lost cause. And just to wrap up the juliet saying oh cuckoo, I'm thinking, oh okay, yeah, that's it. She's gone, never gonna see her again, family moves away now never no history there, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, right yourself, a little escape patch in there about oh my dad is on like a six month contract or whatever, so oh now time is limited, and oh we've got to embrace these moments that we have together. And that gives you justifies the intensity of this relationship. You know that it's going to be short lived, and then you're really, oh, wait a minute, well in nuts, but they're not going to be here for that long anyway, so that's all right.
Speaker 1: I don't know how Heavenly Creatures plays out, but I think there would have been more and more interesting story for this would have been that Lisa's enjoying Juliette's company and then she gets to a point where she realized meant juliet is a bit obsessed with this book. I need to get out. But then Juliette will allow her, and then she needs Marge's help to actually so, because she because there was a point where she's so rude to Marge where she goes, it's best if you don't try and be a part of my life, Mum, March, as I'm just trying to be involved in it's best if you don't, And there was there was no there was no call back to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's yeah, clearly I think that's drawing too much or drawing heavily from heavenly.
Speaker 1: Creatures in that regard. But in the Simpsons University, you can't just have Lisa be a rude to March and not have her apologized for it. It's just silliness. It needs to be Lisa saying, like, draw upon heavenly creatures, but use the Simpsons spin, you don't have to follow the same. So. I don't know how the movie plays out, but this, to me needed Marge to be the one who Lisa realizes is most important and brings her back. My favorite Did you have any favorite moments?
Speaker 2: I had like I had three, one of which was I was surprised to this couver that was Emily Blunt, who's an actor that I like. I initially thought, yeah, much like it was like, yeah, they just got a coustmember doing a weird and when I say weird, I don't mean necessarily bed. It's like, this is least seem like an odd choice.
Speaker 1: This voice. It didn't feel like an English acts. It felt like an American being an englishman. Yeah, it was so.
Speaker 2: But props to Emily Blunt for not just because she's got a lovely speaking boys. Props to her for actually sort of doing a character or doing a bit.
Speaker 1: So, hey, it's English actress Emily Blunt. Yeah she's married to John Christian. Yeah John, Yeah. Home is mostly terrible, But I did enjoy him saying at do we find Juliet's last name or the professor's last name? I can't remember anyway at their house, like where's your bathroom? I'd like to pretend to wash my hand. Do you like that? I'd like to pretend to wash my hands. That I thought that was quite I'm just watching this going, why is Homer such a fuckhead? I just watched it. I'm just thinking Homer is just despicable.
Speaker 2: It just it speaks to class insecurity and you know, oh I better be seen to be trying to do the right thing.
Speaker 1: I thought it was kind of funny, I don't know, but the fact that he told them I'm not going to wash my hands. I did not like this version home in this episode at.
Speaker 2: All, And quite honestly, I thought it was a very good suggestion by a Poo that the you know, I need a candy that I'm enjoyed and that I can pretend to share or something like that. Get to one why Poo was run the show? Yeah, well I have one moment here, tell me. And it was the bait and switch where they got me of the bullies arriving. I thought it was the family and I was literally typed my notes going as if Marge would know she was going to be Oh it wasn't Marge. Yeah, I'm sorry. Right, Brian Kelly, you did this one right, bro Kelly, well done you. But yeah, they were the only things I liked.
Speaker 1: Next question you there Eating the Beast trivia questions. My first question for you is which track of the Pelican Brief did Julius Dad, make her play it's strength three. Researching the brief, I didn't mind that moment as boke on going. You know what I do? Enjoy me a good score, as you can.
Speaker 2: See here do Dan who knows the score?
Speaker 1: Yes, I would buy the Pelican brief score.
Speaker 2: Well you probably already know the answer to this. Then, But who composed that score?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, neme. He starts with HD right, short hours is a hang someone?
Speaker 2: No, that's the surname starts with age.
Speaker 1: Ah, no, what is it? It's James Horner. James Horner all right?
Speaker 2: Indeed, who also composed the music for Titanic? And who is no law rulers? Ah, that's a shame. James want to come up with some great scores. Yeah, one of the best things. So it certainly told this story.
Speaker 1: So did he write in a second? Did he write then my Heart will go on? Because basically it's the same music.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he did. That's a really good question and we should look it.
Speaker 1: Up, because the music of my heart We're going is of course. Yeah, that's because Jane Cameron knows what he's doing. He knows what he's doing speaking, and he knows what he knows what everyone is doing, speaking of movie times, because we just did we just did Golden Eye, which wasn't a sometimes a video game tie in? Sure, yeah, Golden Off for the Movie Guy podcast with Malton and Davis. What is it called?
Speaker 2: Why did I type in Jake's Horner? I don't know what I'm doing?
Speaker 1: What is Jake's Horner? What does it look like? Show me your horner?
Speaker 2: I certainly will not song by James Horner and Will.
Speaker 1: Jennings, So okay, yeah it means.
Speaker 2: And then Selene came on and just put that particular Canadian.
Speaker 1: Source on it. Selen is nicholas favorite singer of all time? Well, that's her problem. She walked down the aisle to Celendion's arm. What's the one where it goes because I'm your lady, you are my man power of love, power of live. Yeah, that's what Nicola walked down the aisle to it. It's very sweet. Yeah, she loves this Celindion. That's a very good thing. All right. My next question for you is they took a trip to where and which is a Facebook two weeks in a row, so it's clearly the writers at the Simpsons around. Hey, it's a new thing the Facebook. We're better mention it for the kids watching the show. But it's gonna like their trip to wear Oh that's a I'll give you a clue, varmit. This guy likes to shoot Varmin. You're sementy. You're talking about your seventy Yeah of the the New Tunes cartoons. I question for you.
Speaker 2: Uh, the art teacher is reading a book or magazine about what no idea sell your junk on eBay? Okay, this is what we're all doing these days, apparently on Facebook marketplace. Oh avoid those fees.
Speaker 1: Hey, good point, Yeah, seventeen percent and everyone sells something an eBay.
Speaker 2: Thanks, okay, Facebook marketplace. See, we're just like the Simpsons, right, we're talking about Facebook. Your next question to me.
Speaker 1: How much was a shrimp cocktail? Three dollars? Five dollars? Good guess? Four nine? It's not a good guess?
Speaker 2: Was completely incorrect enough, so wrongs. Actually the rec center is named for whom.
Speaker 1: I don't know, and me, Lisa said it, what was it? I'm assuming it was a joke as well, was it?
Speaker 2: That's a good question because I didn't do my research while watching it. It's Janet L. Muna's Robins. Let's look up if that's a real person and what they did?
Speaker 1: You look at the moment as you're doing that, I'm going to say that the outro was done by fall out Boy, who didn't guest star in the episode, but they did name their band after fall out Boy. Radioactive Man's assistant who Millhouse plays.
Speaker 2: I did notice that, Yeah, also written what's the point of this.
Speaker 1: Ball out Boy track? I guess they are called fallad Boy? Yes, the first The.
Speaker 2: Only thing that comes up is Lisa, the Lisa the drama queen, So I'm guessing the Janet l Munos the Robins? Is why am I putting that that? That's sass on the pronunciation of their name. They can't take offense because guess what? Don't think they're a real person?
Speaker 1: Who's real? Though? Sy Cutters, They're so real. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama Talking Sciefiard and speaking of the heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four fingure discount, starting with the incredible Katie G with her one hundred dollar support. Thank you so much, Katie, You're an absolute champion and we love you here at the four figure Discount Network. Also our man Andrews swaymis One, thank you so much for supporting us here at four figure discount and keeping the lights on, keeping things running over at our four figure discount Discord channel, which you can get access to for free, but you also got access to a bunch of exclusives on there as well as being a support of ours on Patreon. Also shout us to the following Stonecutter Patreon producers Paul Warner, Isabella Murphy, Jonathan Rossy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean Dvi, Pete Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Ryan Dunlap, Kevin Dental Planned Flood, Shannon Hofer, Bella Window Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Applebee, Adrick McLeod Lewis Cavanaugh Marchlevin, Rhese Roberts, Ginger and Piggle, Preston Murray, tala Enriguez, Jake Messado, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Josh Hellyer, Logan b James Sheppard, Joe Ridden, Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, Glenn Gomez, Gavin Lane, Dami Miller and Charlie Joeth And if you two care support us by being a support of ours on Patreon, we would really appreciate if you could do so as well. Link for that is in the description of this podcast. We love the Mummy.
Speaker 2: Well, even if they are imaginary, they are Well, I get the failing that you've just got a lot of money that you're not telling me about and you're putting it back in but you're TACKI dak. You're doing it under like shell corporations and various false names. We've got so many people that know katG is real, we meta.
Speaker 1: Kdy G is real. KTG is real, But you know what US is real? Getting Facebook demonetized, well yeah, yeah that hurts. So if you listen to the show and you can support us, you want the show to keep going, please do so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bypass the system, Come direct to your pals, Dan, the one guy. Yeah, put it in our pockets, keep the lights on, keep the wolf from the door. You can just or you know, or so I can go to KFC again, which I.
Speaker 1: Did the other Here's the thing. If you don't want to start up to patrons, so people don't want to do that subscriptions, you can just support us with a PayPal donation and a five dollars plus donation. We'll get you a shout out on the podcast as well. It's just four finger discount at outlook dot com, like it's a description of this podcast. You just want to donate some money, do so as well.
Speaker 2: Because I need it because I went to KFC the other night. I haven't been there for a very very long time, but you keep talking about it, and I'm like, kind of the other thing was would you have Well? I saw on social media.
Speaker 1: Facebook that KFC have not been demonetized and k is doing like a barn me. It was like but with really, yeah, oh burios veriod, I.
Speaker 2: Like a barn me And I don't mind KC and I don't care, and I don't care. I love it. And I went out there and then I was looking on the app and it's like they don't seem to have it here quick Googles.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, it's.
Speaker 2: Only one Outlett news out well by there Amory complete sun cause fallacy. I'm already a k Just give me the zinger meal, ate it, and you know what I didn't like it? Yeah, the chips were a little, a little soggy, not quite not quite super hot.
Speaker 1: I prefer the chips a little soggy, but they've got to be hot.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is neither.
Speaker 1: So I've got an extra salt on them too. Yes, So which one did you go to?
Speaker 2: I went to the place that was not the good one. I wasn't willing to go that is not too long?
Speaker 1: Yeah, verst mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't even say rooking mistake because I'm not a rookie, just an idiot anyway.
Speaker 1: So what order a double tender burger though with extra sauce and extra letters because they never put enough letters on there. It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: The upshot of this is supports the major supports a matron. Maybe support Dan. I don't support me. I'll only waste your money.
Speaker 1: Speaking waste less some time. Yeah about leads the dramaquaen Lisa the Drama Queen originally aired January twenty fifth, two thousand and as you said, there was a six week gap in between last week episode and this one. Yeah, really bizarre production code kab F two to two, written by Brian Kelly and directed by Matthew Nastak. Guest stars follow Boy playing the otro and Emily Blunt as Juliette. Chortboard gag I will not use permanent ink on the chalk board and the cash gave the family I lot the casch gag. Yeah, where they become a collectibles and worst catch gag. Ever, I need to make pretting this up. So this is kind of historic. So started this podcast nearly ten years ago, ten years ago in May, and we started episode one Their way through Got season ten. You jumped on board season twenty, and this is the final episode of The Simpsons that features this intro. Gonna be replaced, didn't you.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, normally your timing is really good. You could have put a little more hot source on that. This is the final episode.
Speaker 1: Of this Yeah, I can see you looked a little like worried. I was like, I'm just gonna get to the point I'm not I'm not that concerned. But yeah, it's the the intro, the final intro of the Simpsons, and now it's going to be HD wide screens. And I'm just saying it's gonna feel like a different show now because even because it's new Simpsons in regards to like, it's not golden Ear. It's more modern Simpsons season twenty, but it's still at the four to three ratio. Now it's wid screen. Now, I wonder watching it with wide screen now where it's going to feel, Oh, this is a new era of the show.
Speaker 2: New area for the Simpsons, maybe new era for four Finger discomp But it's going to be, yeah, just as good as show as it ever was, maybe even better.
Speaker 1: We're going to broadcasting in wide screen. Now we're just going to talk louder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So couch gag, not about couch gag, but also.
Speaker 1: End of an era. It is the end of an era, indeed, and beginning of a new one. They ended with the worst one ever.
Speaker 2: Every new beginning isn't some new beginning's end, as the song says.
Speaker 1: The episode kicks off with Homer dropping the kids off at the Springfield Rec Center. He says, when you're older, you realize how much you miss these fun activities. That's kind of mean to Elliot when he goes, I don't want to have to go to school. I don't want to know. I said, mate, understand, this is the best time of your life. You have no responsible He always says, I want to be an adult. I'm like, you don't, don't. I understand. When you're an adult you can do things you want to do, but when you're a kid, you have adults who do that shit for you. Just enjoy being a kid, mate. And yeah, oh, by the way, shout out to Elliott. Guess what Eliot did. He got voted class captain. Oh my goodness. Yeah, out of all the kids, the one class each has a captain. His peers voted him class captain more asbestos and they said he's our man.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, yeah, the other kid was sort of like voting on more science ficient books in the library.
Speaker 1: I love the way they The teacher explained it to me too. So they got ten people or put their hand up, so we want to go for class captain. They all got the front. They all did a little speech. Elliot said, he apparently she goes, Elliott just went up there and he said, I'm going to be good as class captain because I'm kind, respectful. I'll help you guys learn. If you need anything, I will help you. And everyone else just kind of said because because they won c and then basically Ali was Elliott was a tie with somebody else. So she said, we don't got the other two on the up the front. And how do you think they decided who was going to be the class captain?
Speaker 2: I want to say I'm wrestle.
Speaker 1: No, they just said, right, who voced? Ali put your hands up and apparently like everyone will popular everyone except for like two kids put the head of for Alliot. And I'm like, oh that is so harsh. Great.
Speaker 2: See now now Eliot has his own baby, baby Gerald. Yeah, he's got a nemesis.
Speaker 1: He's got a nemesis. Yeah, I like Elliott, I get wrong, he's a good kid. Said that. Well, I said to her, you realize that's how super Villain's upborn. This kid's just going to steal in it forever. Well, then Elliot, how's his face feeling? Because he goes, oh, yeah, he proa the creaker bat. It's it's going down. No, fracture in the jaw, though it might have been frast went to get scans and whatnot. So he's he's still much better. But it's like a little hard ball. And I think it might be like they think it's melanoma or something like that.
Speaker 2: That sounds serious.
Speaker 1: It does. Maybe it's not that he meta melano is skin can it's not that, even Tom that's the one, yes, big words computer bell, so he has that in his face possibly, so think it's an ultra sound on that to see if that's all right. But it's gone down, doesn't hurt the touch anymore. It's this is very good.
Speaker 2: He's back playing cricket again. This is very good news. In semi related news, Lou's daughter Audrey is house captain of the House school. So yeah, we're just associated with Well done Audrey. Yeah, well done Audrey.
Speaker 1: Well done.
Speaker 2: Bart and Lisa going off to the rec center. Yes it was a silky seguay, wasn't it was?
Speaker 1: Indeed? Yeah, Homer bails on them coming with guys doing some showering kung fu. All this is just pointless. A lot of fat shaming this episode. Yeah, this is the voice. Certainly in this first part there's always fat shaving in the Simpsons, No fat chicks. Yeah, but that was funny. This is just a guy saying that there's nothing to do with my weight. It's all about what is it? He's chi is it? It's cheap? He's chea Yes, he says on my signal, which is it a matrix reference or a rock reference? Just bring it. That looks a bit like it.
Speaker 2: Although I'm pretty sure that martial artists have been doing that since spread since martial arts.
Speaker 1: By the way, I learn to confort.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone who's watched a Hong Kong action movie over the last thirty or so years may be aware of Samo Hung, who's like a contemporary of Jackie Chan, except he's a big guy, like a big guess, a fat guy, but absolutely kickars. He was like, you know, Chris Farley's really bleetic, like he's very graceful. Samo Hung's a bit like that, but also with violence. Okay, So there you go, So I wouldn't be dis in comic book John Thick, John Thick, John Thick, there you go. There what a guy.
Speaker 1: So Lisa's in art class, the teacher's not having a good time. Actually didn't mind this as well. So she's saying this orange is not that orange, just it. She's like, what is it? Lor your expectations, Lory expectations.
Speaker 2: Stop stop, Juliet, this is terrible.
Speaker 1: Your art is personal and wrong.
Speaker 2: I was painting with my heart and if you look carefully you can see that the night is Josh Groebin are young century's greatest vocalist. Oh another grob night.
Speaker 1: I didn't get all the Josh Grobn loving this either. It just went on forever.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I was expecting to see in the closing credits special guest star Josh.
Speaker 1: Rober period was not in it. I'm like, what are we doing here? Did I love Josh Grovin in Heavenly Creatures?
Speaker 2: No, Heavenly Creatures set like in the nineteen fifties or something.
Speaker 1: What is the point? I don't know? But did they sing in songs? They're doing this? I just it doesn't make any sense to me. But Lisa says, she goes, well, do you want to be a teacher? Yes? I do, and she Lisa takes over the class. Then they bail her and Juliette leave. Juliet is new in town. Her father's lecturer at the Uni.
Speaker 2: I guess so letter somewhere specializing in the works of John Grisham.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, Yeah, and then they sing some Josh Grobin which goes on forever and I've got here. This is just killing time, really just killing time, and Willie puts the broom in his ears and Wiggans put the gun in his ears and what was the point?
Speaker 2: This is killing time? And also my will to live.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Lisa is now with Bart at the Quickie Mart. So it seems she's invited Bart down to the quicker Mart to help her buy candy for the first playdate because she's not used to having playdates anymore. She doesn't really have a friend.
Speaker 2: But it feels weird that she's referring to it as a playdate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's eight. Yeah, we wouldn't really.
Speaker 2: But I think I think something that you organize yourself, you would not necessarily call a playdate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was going to say, when I organize something, I said, you should we organize a playdate for the kids. But it's not just hey, can I come over and play it? So that's not a playdate. Yeah. Anyway, Bazaar, So thereout the Quickie Mark, Bart is offering some suggestions in Eminem and Eminem's are great, and she's shutting them down. You're an idiot with whom being cruel, who comes in with a suggestion of the Almond Joys. Finally a real suggestion. I just went, why is everyone like this? Why is everybody? Look? In this episode so far everyone has been mean? Yes, so far. Ow. She arrives at Tuition Academy, which is unfortunate scholarship free, which means she's never getting in, and Lisa does not know what to do on a playdates. It's been so long, and Juliet says, my parents have bought me a pass for the Folk Art Museum, which includes access on Wednesdays apparently okay, and likely today is Wednesday, so that we have a montage with them at the Folk Art Museum, which is just again killing time. Oh yes, but one of the robot sculptures, though, I will say, look like linguomember Linguo, which was that's the one based on go right and run, Lola run, that's right? Yeah, yes, the multiple being Linguo dead. Linguo is dead. Yes, But besides that, though, there was nothing else to really relate in this. It was just them having fun at a Folk Art Museum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I said, when you yeah, you find a kindred spirit who someone's in the same weird shit that you are. Or it is like no one else would ever go to the Folk Art Museum with me. This person's not just here under like I suppose it'd be a nice place to go to. But we're both enthusiastic about this. It's a great feeling. It's a fantastic feeling.
Speaker 1: But it's me when I was a kid, when I discover someone else who liked wrestling, I go, you liked wrestling too? The yeah shit. Oh but Marge is happy that Lisa has finally found a friend and she's asked her to come over and to the house and play, finally starting to act like, as the book would say, normal childhood behavior. Well last, hey, man, can you yet sleep over? Are your parents okay with that?
Speaker 2: They never met us. We could be murderers, could have been if we hadn't had kids. These all feel like lines that would go over well in the writer's room. It was like, oh, yeah, Homer would say something like that, except yeah, there's a real disconnect in like each deliver I won't say how Dan's delivered.
Speaker 1: It's the way it plays out in the scene, isn't it. Yeah, But having dinner here's another moment here. So they're having dinner and she brings up how father's the foremost scholar for John Grisham books, and she says that he discovered the real villain Time to Kill was the legal system itself, the legal system itself, and then goes told you, March told you, and it just looks at him. I don't think, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 2: And then I didn't mind that all that much because it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Why would I what it's not.
Speaker 2: It's a kind of a really obvious point in a Time to Kill.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, you know, the.
Speaker 2: Systems kind of flawed or whatever.
Speaker 1: But it feels like the kind of thing that Homer would be sort of going.
Speaker 2: I think the real villain is the legal system. Like he's come to this incredible inside. Okay, so I've never seen a time to care or read the book. So is that meant to be the joke?
Speaker 1: Is that? Well, of course everyone knows that. Oh do you think that's what they're going for here? I've missed That's It's a real just.
Speaker 2: Kind of simple inside that Homer would take as like him being the the Reds and less in just a corruption or whatever. It's like, yeah, he would feel like the smartest person in the room pointing out something that is kind of obvious.
Speaker 1: Okay, but now they're writing tales of a Koalia And this is where for me, I thought the episode has got so boring. So it's lights out the next the next This next moment here was probably the nicest moment of the episode, the one moment in the story that really felt like I had some emotional punch where lights are out. She asked Lesa to be a best friend. Marge's listening at the door, saying say yes, yes, yes. She says yes, and she says to herself, I have a best friend. Juliette here shays, you heard that, mustill be best friend me? Okay, yes, and she's like, my best friend's so cool. That's a nice moment. Sure is well you where we've all had a moment in our lives where we've got a best friend and we drop our guard and reveal or something about For me growing up, it was I had two best friends I've mentioned before, Medie mockel Meade and Daniel Jones Jonesy and Media. I call them, right, and now the only two of my friends who knew that I wet the bed. I went to the bed until I was about eleven. Right, That's why I wouldn't go to school camps, wouldn't have anything of that. But knowing that I could trust them and they just didn't care, it is special to me. It's just like, yeah, that So it reminded me of that moment where I was like, ah, I want to say at their house, I'm like, I wet the bed and I'm like so, I'm like, oh, cool, you don't care. Yeah, So that was my moment for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, No, it's fantastic when you have someone like that.
Speaker 1: In your life. Yeah, we can reveal something and go, oh, they just they genuinely just don't give a shit. It doesn't bother them. I still want to be your friend. But it's now the morning time and Lisa is meeting her after school, margin Homer offers some advice. It was the bit I was mentioning earlier. If the dog bites, you don't make a big deal out of it. March says that. Then Homer says the same thing and then patronizes Marge for being annoyed that she didn't. Yeah, well, I just didn't get what it feels like. It's writing Homer into the story for the sake of h We need Homer to say something. None of the jokes land, in my opinion, he just says something silly, and he's being rude to March. For the majority of everyone's rude to March. That's the bulk of this. If he's just saying something funny for the sake of it, that's different, or saying something stupid. But when he's blittling March, everything's blittling March. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think when we used to have Homer sort of making dumbass comments, but usually that would be at his own expence, and yeah, but they were never sort of if they were directed at March, the joke was always reflected back on Home. I always made him look bad or baffoonish or whatever. Whereas this is just kind of snarking and biting for the for the sake of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pointless, pointless snark, pointless snark. Yeah, now they're writing the book at the at the are they writing the book? So now they're writing the book outside. I think it must have been after school, and they think of the Tunicorn, that's their new character they've created, and she loves her accents, so she says, you can do the audio book. And then they're playing at the more the creative figures and whatnot. Nelson mocks them and then he has a headless dart Fader and email bus Stacey wrapped up in Sullifan tape and makes him kiss, makes them kiss. Yes, So what was your favorite figure when you're a kid.
Speaker 2: Look, I had a bunch of little a little sort of cowboy figures, but I don't know, might have inherited from someone or whatever. Some Star Wars action figures I never really play. I never like with my Star Wars because I never played Star Wars. I sort of made up my own stories that would have like, I know, Marthkter or something like that.
Speaker 1: It's because I had no originality, math data something like that I had. I loved my Street Sharks, I loved my Power Rangers, and I love my wrestling figures now my thirty things.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but there was nothing like the imagination you had when you're a kid as well, but particularly you know, sort of growing up in our eras maybe sort of pre into sort of stuff. Yeah, you would take the stuff that you saw, the stuff that you read or order that, and but you would remix it in your mind and use it as a jumping off point.
Speaker 1: Which one say to Elliot because when he watches a movie, for example, he loves cars, movie movie cars, where he's got all the card toys and stuff. He tries to recreate what he sees on the TV. And I say to him, it's okay if you don't do exactly what's on the TV, just do what you want. Or he was coloring a coloring book the other day. We're waiting for Nickel to nicol and Holly get the nails done, so but to big w and we've got a coloring book and we'll sit in there coloring in whist we're waiting for for the girls to finish. And he's coloring. He has, oh, I need a blue because because there's a Sonic book. And I said it's color and green, you guys, no, but Sonics blue. And I said, he can be what color you want him to be, mate, it doesn't matter. And it was almost like a light bulb when off he went, sure, so I can just be creative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's color outside the lines don't.
Speaker 1: Matter, because he used to get really frustrat when we went outside the lines and I said, it doesn't matter. It actually doesn't matter. And now he just does what he wants to. Yet he Knuckles is the red guy, you know, Knuckles from Sonic and he showed me and it was like a pink knuckles and I was like, cool, there you go. He's like, there's no red, sort of colored pink, and I'm like, you're getting it, buddy, You're getting it. It doesn't matter. Improvised, buddy, improvised.
Speaker 2: This is why his house captain.
Speaker 1: He is classic. Classic. He's working his way out. But anyway, so the yes, the notesn't been mocking to be playing with the toys on their way to dinner. Now at Juliete's, the Simpsons family are and they said, we're going to some big words. Homer says he'll use computer bark and have doorbell nice doorbell? Is it computerized? Don't you come up with any I don't think they could have gone for the choke bit here because it's too much.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I think even I think Julie's family is like, why are you smacking a kid in the back of the head with such ferocity?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that's the kind of humor that the differences we need to see. I think there needs to be a difference in class. We're not smacking NICKI around your manners or something like that. Yeah. Yeah, so the father's now talking outside, you know, her father says nice to the fast friends. Did we get the toilet the bathroom gave? You're saying earlier?
Speaker 2: I do like that home who normally doesn't smoke a pipe is smoking.
Speaker 1: A pipe because in Millord and whatnot. And then the father is reading from the firm over the dinner table, and he tells the girls that can we perform a medley of our favorite Josh Groban songs? And the way again with the Grovin What the hell is going on here? It's just one of the writers daughters have loved Grovin or did one of the writers love Grobin? Yeah, it's weird that you would do all this and not have him on the show, isn't it? It is?
Speaker 2: Again, I get where they're going, what they're going forward this kind of thing. I mean, I'm sure. Yeah, have been times when Elliott or Holly has been like, oh can I read There might be people around they sort of want to not show off, but can I read you this poem that I wrote or something along those lines, or here's the thing that I did in school that I learned today.
Speaker 1: And it's like, well, that's really sweet. But see it's funny though, when you become a parent. I used to look at parents and they put like their kids drawings in the fridge and go, it's two squiggles, what are you doing? I appreciate and actually my everything that my kids creates, it's weird. When you're the parent, you go, I know this is nothing, but something I created, created this. It's a it's what keeps you from devouring your children? What separazas from the what was the Homer gag? Or separatezs from the weasel?
Speaker 2: Something like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who knows? But so there they haven't. They haven't. They're doing the medley here for Josh groblah blah blah blah. He interrupts the father and Trump says we should put on the Pelican brief score track three. She says, I hate track three. I hate it. She runs off list as I'll go get her then we get the repeatd gag of Homer saying, can you tell me what this lump is on my back? So the joke being I'm not that kind of doctor. But then it's just that it was a gummy bears. This is chewing chewing it. It's just that line again, is it a pimple or a boil? It was a gummy bear, same thing repeating. The gags sometimes play that Julia sees a quality in the backyard, and here I thought the episode was going to take a turn, but no, Lissa just randomly sees equality as well, and I was like, ah, okay, well, yeah, this was the part where I twigged because I didn't know what happens in the film. Is it?
Speaker 2: Yes, they start to become pretty to their hallucination fantasies and all that. In the minute they so like I can see it, and it pops up at and know where it's like, oh yeah, they're doing They're doing Heavenly creatures. Wow, that's a.
Speaker 1: Secure that's a dip cut. So basically, here they see the tundicorn. They see I think it's a draft to puss or something. It's a it's uncomfortable just about everywhere a couple on land and on water or in water and on land, and then they have a big dance to Josh have a song again, not a whole or two this episode now there's there's lots of just absolute filler. But the girls now write in their book Marge's role playing. She comes in, she's got the cookies that are shaped like certain things whatever with dragon eggs. She's just trying to be involved with this is our thing, not yours, and I just want to be involved with the best of you don't. And I thought the fact that that wasn't call back on not good gott to drop the ball this episode. Yeah. Skinner then calls the parents and says Lisa is being unfocused, she's not really doing very well at school. That's not followed up on either.
Speaker 2: No, and even the whole gag about yeah, they're so used to this being bart yeah, that they're not really listening and they're just like, but we'll do this. It's like, why is this not funny?
Speaker 1: The best version of that was but no, sorry, habit that's the peak. But again, this is where Skinner mentions the Facebook page what and I was like, oh, you old writers in the writer's room, like in the Facebooks where I tell Lisa you can't see Juliet anymore because you're not focused at school and you're just becoming a different person. You're being mean to people. And she says, oh, disobey, And Marge's already three steps ahea because she's Bart Simpson's mother. She tries to think out the Winnow she catches her in the wash basket. Then Bart sneaks he goes, but age ten, he sneaks away. That's it. You don't see where he goes. It's just that's it.
Speaker 2: These are all ideas that just sound good on paper.
Speaker 1: I thought Bart aged ten and he jumps away like an injury outing, and I thought, how's Marge? Marge didn't get him. Shouldn't the game be that? He thinks, even though he's age, he's smarter than March and Marge is still too smart for him.
Speaker 2: He thinks, so, but I don't know, Man's I'm really just I'm flammixed by this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just feels very pointless, very pointless. Indeed. Now Juliet meets Lisa at the school. She says, let's run away together, and I'm like, what is going on? Here. She says, I can't though, you can't go Juliette because I have to go to the un you know, because that's what Lisa does. It just Aqualia needs you. And she's like, yeah, you're right, this fake thing that we've made up, yep, it needs me. Aqualia is not real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really feel like we're forced to do a lot of heavy lifting off as I was here.
Speaker 1: And if you haven't seen the source material and Heavenly creatures, it doesn't make any sense to you. I've said time and time again, the best parodies are the ones where they're enjoyable, whether you've seen the actual source material or not. This one is just fucking weird. It is so weird that Lisa has just started fantasizing me this Aqualia, and I get it, she's got a new fan and she loves it.
Speaker 2: But it's the responsibility is not on us as the viewer to go, Okay, well, I guess she's feeling this, or I guess this means that, so that it would explain that, no, it's not on you to fill in the blanks that the episode failed to do.
Speaker 1: For me. It lost me when Lisa was visualizing it all and feeling like she was actually in Aqualia. So it's just them writing the book and Lisa's going and then this happens, and they're this role playing and she's envisioning in her mind, but to actually see it in front of her and think she's in the world. I thought this is just a step too far. It's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I won't say it's too much of a departure from her traditional character, because she's an imaginative person and a creative person, but this kind of thing is out of sync with her kind of creative exactly her kind of imagination, so she need to be under the sway of someone else who has that wellspring of creativity or what her that also has this kind of charisma and the kind of charisma to draw you in and make you see Equalia. But also, Juliet is not charismatic enough for Lisa to fall under her sway. The character needed to be more sort of like, oh, my god, she's so mysterious and wild and everything like that. She's everything that I want to be.
Speaker 1: She's not.
Speaker 2: No, all due respect to Emily Blunt and whoever else created this character, but it's just like, yeah, to be oh, she's so wild and free. She's an incredible free spirit, et cetera, et cetera. Then you, oh, oh, that's because she's crazy, because a.
Speaker 1: Lot of people are a lot of crazy people are care Lisa should have realized, oh, this chick's crazy at the moment in the backyard when she's visualizing it, right, and I think it would have been a better spin. You don't have to just do heavenly creatures a bit for bit. It could have been you're doing heavily creatures. But that moment Lisa realizes, oh, wait a minute, she's actually crazy, and Marge was right. And then but this chick starts stalking her or something.
Speaker 2: I think you need to do, like a rule of threes kind of thing where you get three hallucinations. The first time is Juliard is seeing it and she's explaining it in great detail. Lisa can't see it, but she's like, oh, there's a castle over there, and there's the dragon's leg, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Juliet is child's imagination, child's imagination, and it's so vivid and in the way that Juliet explains it that Lisa's like, Wow, this person's fantastic. They're so imaginative and fun. The next time she does it again, and this time Lisa sees it, Wow, you've draw me into this world. I'm so happy to be here with you. The third time Julia does it, she does it too much, and it's like and over there is the spike where your father's head is or some shit like that. It's like, oh, wait a minute, Oh no, that's too vivid, and you were always real and you're trying to bring this into the real, like to quote the great poets, Hall notes, I can't go for that, No can do so. Yeah, I mean that's how I would certainly do that, and honestly, I think it'd be much better.
Speaker 1: I think we do a pretty good job of fixing these episodes lately.
Speaker 2: I think, just like Jimmy Saville, we'll fix it. I'll wait a minute.
Speaker 1: So this is where we get really saying humbers the one time he ran up to a land of equality, and we get him arriving at Alice Island saying that he's William Doogal You're now Grand Skipper really, and that's it. There's no joke there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I kind of like the idea of that that. I'm no fan of Willy, as everyone knows, I do like the idea, like, oh, I've come from this far away land to back in my home country. I was a doctor and he was like, we got enough doctors. He's a groundskeeper.
Speaker 1: Though. I guess this is new life.
Speaker 2: It's a good throwaway gag in my mind, at least, I don't know.
Speaker 1: This was maybe a doctor. Why we didn't come to a land of Equality's I'm sure, well, I don't know. It doesn't matter, don't think about it that much. The girls now riding, and they arrive at Clammelot, the Rundown seafood restaurant that went downhill fast. It's just where we'll live. How did you sign this place? My family ate here last week?
Speaker 2: It really went downhill fast.
Speaker 1: But if you just believe any place can be a qualia.
Speaker 2: Oh no, clam Loots is closed.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised. They clam chowter smelled like shap Yeah. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to high editors, purchase new equipment and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Sieveld and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to her exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four finger discount. Martin then calls Marge because Marge thinks that she's at the un she hasn't told she hasn't told the family that she's gone off to Akuali, and Martin Kle says that there's no Abajan you can to the extent, to an extent, you can't trust the word of Belgians, So I am telling the truth. Margin blames herself for Lisa running away if it's not her fault at all, and Bart suggests that they've probably just gone to some stupid castle. Marge like, I know where they've gone. And Namma has the conversation here a butt, whether she wear a tie or nice shoes and whatever?
Speaker 2: See again a joke that could possibly quote unquote work, Yeah, don't a scene, but the whole thing is like, oh well, I think I think you know Marge would need to say, oh, they're at that abandoned you remember that fancy restaurant, and that's now we're going to do I need my do I need.
Speaker 1: Wood one, Except that would ruin this moment just why they didn't do it would ruin the reveal of them not being at the actual place. We'll see.
Speaker 2: We need this is why we need to write his room.
Speaker 1: But it's right though, work it out so Marge knows where they're going. And so if you want to use that joke, you need that set up. You need a joke, A punchline needs to set up. It does. Yeah, it just very much. There was like three or four moments in this episode where I'm watching this going it feels like they've gone, well, we need to end with Homer saying something funny or silly. How many? How many? How many scenes in this episode ended with Homer saying something stupid more than one. There's the one of the dinner table saying told you, Marge. There's the if you say so, Marge, There's this one. There's there was one day that started the episode as well. I can't remember what it was exactly, probably when he dropping kids off at the that wasn't necessarily that wasn't relliant. Yeah, maybe kind of, but there was one after that. But there's so many scenes just end with Homer saying something stupid.
Speaker 2: Well, for the longest time, that was kind of key to the show's success.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was also funny.
Speaker 2: Well that's true. Yeah, I know, Homo saying something that's gonna work.
Speaker 1: But we have the girls hanging out in the in the Klammelot Seaford restaurant. You think the family are arriving with the silhouettes, but it's actually the bullies, which was a nice they got me a nice review. They tie them up because they think they're gonna blow them about their stashed stolen peaches and they've seen it a bit extreme waiting out the bad haircuts as well. Yeah, lots of me in cages and stuff. You know, we come back. They been putting the cages. Juliette says, shut your eyes for a quality and this is like, can we just not? She goes, well, it's better than being here, so they do so.
Speaker 2: As she said, what was it? The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better.
Speaker 1: Yes, Kearnie is an interested in their story as they're talking about it. He's like, what's going on is they have dragons and Lisa's about to mock him to the dragons and it's like, no, no, he's got dragons chubby ball ones and he's now invested in because they're the ones that he likes.
Speaker 2: Just to rewind just for a second, I had an issue. Whether they're putting the girls in cages or tying them up or whatever, this seems a bit extreme, Like I said.
Speaker 1: That's what she said, that's true.
Speaker 2: Why not have a sort of a not a necessarily parallel storyline. But the bullies are showed up because they're playing their own kind of fantasy game or something. It's like, oh, well, you know they're doing like say, the girls have got a quality. It's a bit more sort of a romanticy kind of deal, whereas the boys are doing like a Game of Thrones, more grungey kind of shit with a castle or whatever. It's like, and they're locked it not locked in their own fantasy. But it was like, well, we've got our own fantasy game as well. We're tying you to a steak, you witches or something along those and those vision versus vision, it's vision versus vision, as opposed to just oh, we're going to tie these girls up because we stole some peaches, Like, what the fuck, man, what's the point. So this way it gives you a little bit of an out, and it also a little bit of a nice parallel synchronousity. I think that would work a whole lot better. And then Kearney gets.
Speaker 1: Turned by Nys in their vision that he jumps into their vision and joins their side. Yeah, I think that'd be better. I think that would be great.
Speaker 2: And then it's like, I better walk that back because I don't think it'll be great, but better is it's a much a more effective way put it.
Speaker 1: The Jimbo and Dolph arrive with the cream for the peaches, and they grab the book, the Equality Book, and they go to burn it, and Kney helps them, and he thinks or that in the vision, it looks like he has beating them all up. In reality, he's just envisioning himself beating them up, but he's actually been beaten up himself, and Juliet and Lisa just leave him to be beaten up. Way to disregard your savior, Yes, Lisa says she doesn't want to do this anymore, don't want to go to equality anymore. And she wants to live in the real world and he said the real word is for people who can't imagine anything better. And she says goodbye, Juliette googoole. I'm like, hey, bitch, five minutes ago, you were invested in this.
Speaker 2: Human beings are complicated, as we know. There's it's not outside the realms of possibility that you know a couple of minutes, ten minutes, minutes earlier could be like, oh my bestie is so oh my best is crazy to make that transition, But what has really changed. They did not do enough to show how immersed in this fantasy world and this fantasy life.
Speaker 1: Juliet is because it got her in a.
Speaker 2: Detrimental effect you can have on the real world.
Speaker 1: Because it got her into danger because they went to this place and whatnot. But it's like, why don't you just do a quality at your house? Then? What? Why is she now suddenly crazy? It's like, no, you were heavy, heaven heavily. You were heavily invested in this story and this world two minutes ago, and now she's cooged because she wants them to I get it. That's to wrap up the episode, but silly parody. Weird because the two months later and they the place in New York has received the manuscript, but it's not what they're looking for. But Moxer for being rejected much as willis your letter all the way from New York and that's it, Like that's the end of it.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's not quite because Home has written his.
Speaker 1: Own but I mean Lisa's menu, that's the end of it quite, Like, well, we did make sure that Qualia is never mentioned again, so that's it. It'll be an.
Speaker 2: I was punchline to have Juliet have written her own Equality of book and it actually becomes she becomes like.
Speaker 1: J K just about to say I can't believe that the punchline here wasn't because I thought it was going to be. Unfortunately we already have a similar story from one Juliet blah blah. Yes, And I was like, why is it was right there? Yeah? The fucking payoff was right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and have like as the author of a Juliet k Yes bowling. Yeah, he gave us nothing. There was no wrap up, no parody, It was just bar wocking. Her list is saying, well, a least you got a letter from New York. There was an actual joke there. Why didn't you give it to me?
Speaker 1: Mom?
Speaker 2: They gave us another jake and said, well, Homer said, I'm gonna I'm running my own book based on my experiences as are dead. Except he's seeing what like someone's a hot dog and they're dancing donuts or something like that, and he just basically comes coclusion, writing his heart.
Speaker 1: Guess what, yeah it is. Yeah, you've shown that with this episode, Ryan Kelly. Is that meant to be his way of saying sorry, at least you tried. At least you tried in deed, So I'm sorry, Brian, but man, fuck you LISTA. The Drama Queen is an episode we shall not be revisiting anytime soon. Never. I haven't said revisiting, revisiting, will not be revisiting this episode. It was not good.
Speaker 2: No, but you get you know for that boy playing the Simpsons theme over the closing credits is it.
Speaker 1: Do you think they got to the end of the episode when we need to live them with something good they were thinking that instead you just get oh for it? Boy. The singer Pat Patrick stumps he does so many kids show theme songs. So he does the Spidy songs. That was all the Spidy soundtracks is another one he's done, Like he's really good.
Speaker 2: I was reading some article the other day about Mark Mothersbaugh, the front man from Devo okay, and he's done a lot of soundtracks, but there was one he did the soundtrack for some animated show or whatever, and it basically it's just like and now I own an Ailen something. He wasn't saying that, but someone was saying.
Speaker 1: Like that, John love it.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to put the extravagance, but it's like, yeah, he gets, you know, some exorbitant amount every time it's played, and it's played all the time.
Speaker 1: I thought your joke was going to be he wrote the soundtrack for a whippet.
Speaker 2: He was able to buy a dog, and that dog is a whibbit. I'll look it up and I'll try and put it in some show notes or something like that, but.
Speaker 1: We've never seen those notes.
Speaker 2: Of course, I always have the best of intentions, much like this episode. But guess what I was full shot?
Speaker 1: What do we learn? What did you learn it from the episode?
Speaker 2: Mister Davis that if you want to buy candy to share it. May I recommend a tasty almond joy I won't or a twist.
Speaker 1: It's only if I don't want to kiss Nickoler, because if I eat something with Owen's in it and kis Nickoler, she's in trouble. Well, that's right.
Speaker 2: What did I say yesterday about?
Speaker 1: Because what was it? We dissed Crispy Cream donuts. I'm not gonna lie. You showed me the pistachio donut from Krispy Kreme, which she's going it still looks they pour the stuff on top, because you actually watch them when they rip over that donut. It looks shit inside probably does. It looks looks thick, It doesn't look doesn't look how it doesn't delicious, But they pour their melk. They pour the melted stuff on top, so it looks all smoothing cream. That's not what you're getting when you bite into that don Oh no, probably not nola dry and yeah good Krispy Creme. Don't rate it at all, a lam a dream. I know they're ne gonna sponsor the show. I just don't rate Krispy Cremes. Let us know the listeners mailbag or four finger discount dot com dot you Chrispy Cream donuts, you rate them or not, so that next week you're gonna start a Simpson's campaign and they'll be like, who should we sponsored. I'm like, oh, no, delete delete dumb button, dumb but no, no, it's not interesting. It probably was. It's not interesting. I'm gonna leave that in absolutely zero interest. And what I was about to say, what did I learn? I'm just trying to find something here. I learned that one thing, one thing the bullies were correct about is that you can't eat peaches without cream. That's I'm not a big peaches guy. Nah, it's one of those there's millions of them, millions of peaches, usually for free.
Speaker 2: It feels like one of those fruits that I should like. Hmmm, you know you look so juicy and sweet and delaightful.
Speaker 1: This is gonna sound silly, but do you have any emotional connection to a type of fruit? I have an emotional connection to nectarines because the house growing up in nor Lane had a really good nectarine tree at the front that always kicked us during the spring, and the nectarenes were massive and huge, and basically the neighborhood would come in. It was like the neighborhood's nectarine tree that'd come just put the nectarines off and just grow new ones. Blah blah blah. It was just it was great. And we grew in a tourene tree here because I was like, I have this nostalgia for having a nectarine tree. I don't actually like eating nectarines, but I love the idea of a nectarine tree. It's like nostalgia for me.
Speaker 2: Well, I certainly don't have as emotional connection as you do that. It was a lovely story, Dan, though, because we had a little kum quote tree growing up.
Speaker 1: But excuse me, what come quartz?
Speaker 2: Oh local fruit that excludes in your mouth.
Speaker 1: I'm not a fan of those either, But I think the way you.
Speaker 2: Would the sky is like, oh, you know, comes the season, and yeah, the tree is just bursting with these lovely things you can eat. To quote Leonardo DiCaprio in that movie, don't look up that. No one never thinks about it anymore. We really did have it all, didn't we We still do to some degree. But no, I don't think I have as emotional connection.
Speaker 1: To fruit as you do.
Speaker 2: Although because this is very this is tangentially fruit related. But I was in Alder the other day, and you know, it's we're coming on a Hot Cross buns are were and we got variants, variants love them.
Speaker 1: You've got like six different packets or whatever. You said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, but I haven't done that yet because the cinnabon ones are coming out of the end of the week. But I was in Aldi, so they got their versions of hot Cross buns. They got a BANOFFI version. You know how I feel about but get you in the I'm getting that.
Speaker 1: He hot Cross buns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I had one with my coffee.
Speaker 1: The other was like, holy shit, this is good. Lively in my best life.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's my emotional connection.
Speaker 1: Your delivery there was very norm esque, like the other day, you're doing normally Donald? Yeah, what l two. That's how he told his story. It's always kind of going, yes, he has ah. You know norm No one respected him in the It was too late before people started to really respect Norman Donald. Yeah. I think the true comedians comedians respected if you knew, you knew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now everyone was like, oh my god, we didn't know how good we had it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from this day forward, your name will be it is the guy Davis new Name Championship for season twenty for Lisa the Drama Queen. The current leader board stands at this in first position. His name is Jared on ten points, Brian Here's he Hughes in second position on seven points, Phil Hawkins, and Kyle is on six points in third position. Take it away? So okay.
Speaker 2: One point goes to Heaven Lisa creatures.
Speaker 1: That is first time on the Leader of the Season twenty. I believe it is Dave McNally, Ram McNally, Dave McNally one point, But on Dave, Dave, Dave Pretzels McNally, I reckon it might be. Okay, once said, never forgotten except by me suddenly very thirsty. Two points go to Gone Girls, Gone Girls. Okay, that is Oh, his name's Jared. He's getting further and further away. He's now on twelve points. He's five points ahead.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Holy Molly, but we gotta hand out three points. Three points, yes, uh, and we could close the gap. Three points goes to lost in TransNation.
Speaker 1: Today's three points. I'm gonna give it to him. It's Philip Jay Hawkins gets the three points. He's not in first position, but if he gets a three pointer and he gets his Philip Jay Hawkins.
Speaker 2: Gets a brief reprise or a respite from yeah, from just being playing old Phil Hawk.
Speaker 1: He's just jumped all the way from fourth to second outright second on nine points. Wow, he can do this to three points behind Jared. There's still plenty of episodes this season, so look out, Jared fly Highill's coming, Philip J. Hawkins wire reference. But anyway, Yeah, so if you want to be a part of the Guy Davis New Dan Championship, just gonna be suport of our patriot. As I said, first position twelve points, Jared Hornby, second position, Phil Hawkins on nine, Brian Hughes seven points in third, and Cover Chile six points in fourth position. All right, was Davis. It's been fun ranting about this episode, doesn't it Sure has, getting it all out there, got it out on the system, all right. The next episode from season twenty The Simpsons is called take My Wife Please. This sounds like it's gonna be a fun Homer story, Just what we need more Homer not liking. Yeah, it could be wrong. We could be wrong, could be wrong.
Speaker 2: We've been wrong in the past.
Speaker 1: I like going in with those low expectations and means pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, like the song says, the only way is up.
Speaker 1: The only way is up. Indeed, I'd say that could suck because there's I put them in categories of episodes that I hated and episodes that I just couldn't give a shit about, and this was probably top five episodes I couldn't give a shit about.
Speaker 2: I had fun trying to salvage some decipher for wreckage. Decipher it and yeah, slput something out of the wreckage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. There's a lot of wreckage certainly was, yes, yes, but we found some stuff. We did. Okay, we did, okay, indeed, yes, all right, guys, thank you for support you at four fingered Discount. As we mentioned, yeah, times be tough with the de monetization. So if you can't support us on Patreon, just check us with papal donation at four fingered Discount outlook dot com. That would be much appreciated as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean way, yeah, I mean even if it is from Aldi Banolfi. Hot crops funds don't come cheap.
Speaker 1: They don't come cheap. Indeed, that's right. As I said, next week is going to be take my wife. Please, please don't forget to continue to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Where we do find this show and he can't get in touch with us, it is mail Bag at four figure discount, dot com dot au. But for now, mister Davis, any final words for those amazing listeners out there
Speaker 2: Well, podcasts are for people who can't imagine anything better