Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray w BZ Constance New Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everybody, as we talk about something that should be of concern to everyone, uh and that is what's going on here, not only in Massachusetts, but throughout New England. We've had an annual outbreak of a couple of mosquito borne illnesses west now virus and also Eastern equine encephalitis also known as tripoli. Delighted to be joined this hour by doctor Catherine Brown, who is with the Colnwealth of Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and she is a veterinarian and UH an epidemiologist. And I believe doctor Brown, that you have spent some of to night don at Plymouth where some prophylactic spraying has been going on to try to get rid of some of these mosquitoes that are potentially or infected. Good evening, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good evening, and thanks so much for the invitation. Yeah, I've spent some time down here in Plymouth this evening hanging out with some of the other folks from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts who are working on making sure that we are conducting some aerial spraying to help reduce the risk from triple E here in the state.
Speaker 2: So how are these diseases related and how are they different? I mean, they're both mosquito born diseases. It seems to me that we never get a break around this time of year. Late August early September there's an outbreak. We lost a gentleman by the name of I guess Stephen Perry from Hampstead, New I'm sure sixty years of age passed away from triple E. And yet there's also additional cases tonight I understand from the Massachuset Department of Public Health of West now virus to additional human cases which bring the number of total cases to four. Both of them are men in their sixties, one exposed in Suffolk County, also another in Norfolk County. This sadly is something we deal with on an annual basis. What's the cause and there is this something that we're going to deal with forever because it's just something that is within our region, never to be eradicated.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Still, I mean, I appreciate you sort of making this personal and reminding us about the really the human costs that can come with these infections. And you're right also that we just can't seem to catch a break. So this is the peak time in the New England area for transmission of both of these mosquito born diseases to people. So the similarities are that these are both viruses that are originally carried in birds, different kinds of birds, but they're both bird viruses, and then they are spread between birds by mosquitoes and then also can be transmitted you know, from birds to humans by mosquitoes as well. So I think one of the differences is that West Nile virus is still relatively new to the US, right It was introduced in about nineteen ninety nine, and we've been dealing with it since then, and that really does seem to be an annual reality. We see cases in Massachusetts and throughout the country every single year. Tripoli is a little bit different, so it doesn't occur everywhere in the United States. Massachusetts that's unfortunately a little bit special when it comes to Tripoli. We have a long history with this virus, and what happens is that we'll see outbreak cycles, so you know, a couple of years in a row where we'll see pretty significant activity and then it will cool off and kind of go away for a few years and then it comes comes roaring back. And so this is one of our we think outbreak years. And unfortunately it's also now hitting other states, not just Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: So birds are involved in this. All of us have heard of the avian flu and some of the bird born viruses. Is that what makes it so dangerous to humans? I mean all of us have at times been bitten by a mosquito. It's aggravating, it's inconvenient, and it can be uncomfortable, but it's not life threatening. Is it the introduction of whatever the mosquitoes extract from the birds, from these sick birds, that that actually causes such serious consequences.
Speaker 3: Well, so, I mean, while the birds may serve as a reservoir for the virus, it's actually it's there are it's actually intrinsic to the virus. How it causes injury to people. Right, So, once the virus gets either of these viruses get injected into us by a mosquito bite. These viruses have a particular predilection for the nervous tissue in humans, particularly the central nervous system, so like the brain and the spinal cord. And the fact that those viruses kind of attack those types of tissues in our body is what can make these diseases so serious. So it's not really the fact that the bird carries them. It's something that's intrinsic to the virus itself, the viruses themselves.
Speaker 2: I'm not a doctor, nor will I play one on radio, but this almost sounds to me like some a virus that is fairly close similar to meningitis. Am I far off on that? Doctor?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So meningitis, believe it or not, is actually a description of a symptom, right. It's inflammation of a part of the brain, and that is something that these viruses can cause. They can cause inflammation of the tissue that surrounds the brain, which is meningitis, or they can actually cause inflammation of the brain itself, and that's encephalitis, and that's where that name Eastern equine encephalitis comes from.
Speaker 2: And there's also spinal mingitis meningitis. I believe That's why I'm just sort of asking you, because everyone understands that is a serious, uh serious disease. So look, I know that the precautions that can be taken, uh should be taken by everyone, which is obviously you know them better than me. But it's staying indoors when possible, particularly from dawn to dusk and uh and and wearing clothes that do really cover up and and don't you know, avoid being out. A lot of towns have I guess closed some outdoor sports activities and there's some controversy about that. Uh is the spring safe? I know that there's always people who are concerned about any sort of aerial or ground spring in their neighborhood. Are we pretty sure that the the solution is not worth worse than the problem?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, I want to make sure that people understand that there's really a layered prevention strategy here, right, and so the spraying that opening, you know, starting tonight is really kind of almost the last tool in the toolbox. Right. So the first thing that I want people to know is that at this time of year in Massachusetts, you should always be wearing mosquito repellent anytime you're outdoors, right, Just just make it a habitat, a habitat, make it a habit and then then you can also use, as you said, lung sleaves, long pants to reduce exposed skin. You know, this recommendation about avoiding outer activity between dusk and dawn is really we reserve that primarily for the parts of the state where Tripoli is at very high risk. We're not making a blanket recommendation about that. It's really where Tripoli is.
Speaker 4: The risk is the greatest.
Speaker 3: And then so people should do that no matter what else is happening. And then because we have seen that, you know, despite everybody's best efforts, that we're still continuing to see risk from Tripoli persist at this time of year. You know, the spring is an adjunct to help people keep sorry, help keep people safe. In Massachusetts, we use products that are approved for this purpose, and they are applied by specialists and used only the way they're intended. And so as long as that is true, then we should be killing more mosquitoes than doing any other harm.
Speaker 2: And my understanding is that the mosquitoes are not going to leave us until the first frost, which can be sometime in late October early November. So this problem is going to be around for a while and we need to be aware of.
Speaker 4: It correct exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: But there's also relatively simple things that people can do to help protect themselves. And so I don't want people to huddle indoors and never go out and get exercise and enjoy this beautiful state of ours. But but it is something to be aware of and just remember to take steps to protect yourself.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, well, doctor Catherine Brown, thank you very much for being with us tonight. This is this important and it's it's a it's a dangerous set of circumstances. My final question is between the outbreak that we've seen so far West now virus in one hand and triple E on the other, are they comparable? I mean, we want to prevent mosquitoes from getting at us, I get it. But are you more concerned about the outbreak of one or the other or do you see this of these two separate but related outbreaks as a pretty similar in terms of their seriousness this year?
Speaker 5: You know? There they are.
Speaker 3: They're similar but different West virus. We almost always see more cases of West non virus than we do of tripoli, and so more people will be impacted by it. But I will also say that the illness that triple E causes is usually more severe than the illness that West nonvirus causes, and so the impact on the individual and the family and loved ones is more significant.
Speaker 2: All right, I really thank you for your time tonight and spent a long day for you, and I thank you for the clarity of your explanation. I think people now understand it much better than they would have before your time with us tonight. Thank you so much for having joined us. Doctor Catherine Brown, an epidemiologist and veternarian with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Thanks again, doctor.
Speaker 3: Brown, thanks for the invitation. You have a good evening you.
Speaker 2: Too as well. All Right, we get back. I'd like to talk about this. What precautions are you taking? And I know that there are certain towns that are impacted more than others. It's it's just so to me, so interesting. It's almost like the common cold. We do a lot of research on some of the really extraordinary diseases that all of us when we hear of, we're very concerned. We talked with Rich Kennedy about als last hour, Parkins's disease. There's several of those that are devastating, but for someone who's bitten by one of these mosquitos, it's equally devastating. And there aren't too many things in New England, in our region that we need to worry about of a massive nature. We get blizzards in the winter time, but we tend not to get the devastating tornadoes of the Midwest, the hurricanes that hit Florida in the southeastern United States. But this is a problem, and this is a real problem. It continues to be a problem. I just like to open up the conversation and some of you I may have some some remedies or some ways in which you keep your family safe and keep yourself safe. I'd like to share them here this hour six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Uh. If you are someone who is concerned about spraying, I'm not an expert in this, but I trust the Department of Public Health officials in Massachusetts that the spraying is not going to be the cure worse than the problem, or worse than the cause. So you have the numbers, Let's open up the phone lines, and let's talk about it here on a screened in North America's back porch. Just it's safe to call, it's safe to talk.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: We have a screened in back porch, metaphorical screened in back porch six one, seven, two five four to ten thirty six, one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty be right back on Nightside. Feel free to join the conversation, particularly if you're never called, or if you have a knowledge or an expertise in this area, feel free to contribute to the to our conversation.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ, the news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's I think we're going to get a lot of different points of view here and different recommendations and help. As I say, this is North America's back porch, but this is a night when we are on a screened in back porch, so there's no danger to mosquitos. If you're with us here on the air. Let me go to Henry, who is in Weston, Massachusetts, the town of Western not the section of the Calm Wealth. Hi, Henry, thanks for calling in. Hello, Hello Henry, welcome to night Side. You're on the air, Dan, Yes, sir, Henry, this is Dan Ray WBZ Nightside. You are on the air.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Dan. I wanted to ask your guests, your earlier guest, what is the relationship between the mosquito and the horse and the red wing blackbird and the pheasants and any other birds that may be in that chain. And that's my first question. My second question is when you report that communities are spraying, what are they spraying? What's the chemical?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, Henry, I wish that doctor Brown was with us, because she had had a long day. We agreed to simply do the interview, and I did not ask either of those questions. Obviously, it's called Eastern equine encephalitis, and the implication would be there that somehow horses might be involved. What she said was that different species of bird carry the the what is injected by the mosquito. The mosquito basically extracts that from the bird, and then the mosquito things you were me or bites you were me.
Speaker 4: I should say, question, Dan, let me finish, just if.
Speaker 2: I could, Henry, if you don't mind, And so she seemed to say that it was primarily birds to mosquitoes to humans, and the mosquito was simply a carrier of the element which causes the the reaction in our human bodies. She did not mention horses, although obviously Eastern ech wine encephalitis would seem to suggest that horses will also would have been involved in that go ahead. That's the best I could do for you in the absence of doctor Brown. That's what trying to paraphrase what she had said to us.
Speaker 4: No, you're exactly right, and that's exactly what it implies. But there are other birds in that chain that can be a transmitter through the mosquito.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: And and my second part is what are they spraying? What's the chemical or spraying?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't ask her. I simply asked her if she was certain that the chemicals that were being used were safe, and she seemed to be very confident that they were safe. I know that they used to think use things like dd E and DDT or whatever dat. But my understanding is that after all of the outrage that people have expressed at different times, and there's still some people, I'm sure who are very concerned when they see her here a playing go overhead with aerial spring. I didn't challenge her on that. No would have I challenged her on that because I think that, again, she was the medical expert, as a veterinarian, as an epidemiologist who the Apartment of Public Health provided us Tonight.
Speaker 4: My lifetime goes quite a bit further than what you mentioned. In terms of chemicals, I won't mention them, but I'm sure they're a band today. But in terms of transparency, I think the Department of Public Health should tell people what they're spraying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I got to be honest with you on if I had held her over to take questions, and we we were, you know, basically told in a polite fashion that she could give us ten or twelve minutes, which we used. And if she had been here, I'm sure she would have tried to answer those questions if she knew. But do you happen to know by any chance? You seem to me to be someone. First of all, I think you're a first time caller, correct.
Speaker 7: That is correct?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, you give me one of our cause your first time call. With that very much. It's always amazing to me what subjects induced people to call for the first time. But I suspect that you probably know more about this subject than I do. So let me ask you. Are you confident that what is being sprayed? And I don't know if Weston has been sprayed or not, you might know that. Are you confident that with all of the rules and Regulations and the Department of Environmental Protection and the State Department of Environmental Protection, the Environmental Protection Administration in Washington. Are you pretty convinced that this sort of spraying is probably being done as safely as possible or are you someone who's concerned.
Speaker 4: No, I have to say yes. I have a lot of history with the Department of Public Health, but I cannot believe the Department of Public Health would put forward the advance of spraying in this fashion without being fully confident that it is safe.
Speaker 2: Good. Well, I'm glad to hear you say that, because I'm sure that you could have answered it differently, and I'm not looking. My purpose tonight was not to inspire, you know, panic or apprehension, but to provide information. And you've contributed to the conversation. And I welcome you to North America's Screendon Virtual Backporch, and I hope you come back soon. Thank you, Henry h.
Speaker 4: Miss thank you very much. If I cry again, it's my first time, but it'll always be my intention to be very kind to you and your guests.
Speaker 2: Yep, No, I'm sure you are. You're a gentleman, and I appreciate it very much. And I hope you do call again. We always love to incorporate new callers into the program. Thank you, very thank you again. I'm very familiar with West and I have a lot of friends who live out there. Thanks again. We're going to take a quick break if you'd like to join the conversation. I got one line at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty, and I got one line at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Feel free to raise issues. I'm not an expert in this area, but I do think that doctor Brown provided some very good information. I have some information here. If any of you ask me questions that I can answer definitively, I will. But I do not play a doctor on radio. And when I don't know the answer, I'm honest enough to tell you I don't know the answer. Back on Nightside, here comes the news break at the bottom of the art. It's about nine thirty two right.
Speaker 1: Now, Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking about West Nile virus and triple e Eastern equine encephalitis mosquito born illnesses that can kill you. Certainly triple ly is, as we learn from doctor Brown. The more dangerous of those diseases. Any precaution that you take, and I have gone through the precautions that are being recommended about, you know, avoiding mosquito bites, which means you will avoid mosquitoes when you can apply insect repellent when you go outdoors. Also be aware of the peak hours when mosquitoes are active from dusk to dawn. And also you wear long sleeves, long pants, socks when outdoors. I mean common sense efforts I think to keep mosquitos away from your skin. Also, drain any standing water. A lot of time we have standing water in our backyard. You may have a bucket in the backyard and had some rain lately. Tomorrow I'm going to go through my backyard and find some areas that I can just drain, and of course always install a repair screens. Now we're on North America's Virtual back Porch as we have called this program since its inception in two thousand and seven, and it is a screened in port, so it's safe to call. There were no mosquitos that will bite you. Let me go next to Floyd in Ohio. Floyd, haven't heard from you in a while? Welcome back, How are.
Speaker 7: You hi, Dad, I've been busy. I'm sorry. Yeah, I'm back.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you've been busy. I hope everything's going well.
Speaker 7: Busy good, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope it's a good busy, not a bad busy, is what I was trying to say.
Speaker 7: Good. Yeah, good and bad. That's how life goes anyway. It's called material safety data sheet. Material safety data that's what So the town's spraying a.
Speaker 5: Certain chemical, or they're even a paint they're painting the road with or whatever, the lines of the road, all those chemicals, all those paints, it's called materials safety data sheet.
Speaker 7: The town, by law.
Speaker 5: Have to provide you with that information, and you go through that list and you can find out what is in those chemicals, exposure, how to dispose of it, that sort of thing. So if we want to know what they're spraying and what's in it and it's harmful for you, and then how to avoid it, it's in that material safety data sheet.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now is that something that is unique to Ohio or is that something.
Speaker 7: No federal, it's federal everything.
Speaker 5: Gasoline has it material safety DASHT. I think it might be saving a little backwards. You know, so like if I if I'm a landscaper, If I'm a landscaper and I'm putting a fertilizer on your lawn, right, that fertilizer has a data sheet, So what's in it and what the exposure is and how does the dispose of it and that toxic So.
Speaker 2: What you're saying is anyone who wants to check with their town hall as to if this spring is going on in their town hall, or if any sort of activity related to this or anything else, they can ask for a material safety data sheet. And then of course they probably have to do their own research and figure out what that particular chemical does or doesn't do. But at least it's it's a starting point for.
Speaker 7: To get information.
Speaker 2: Floyd, thank you for that.
Speaker 5: That piece of it's in the public domain, you know, I mean the town it's federal.
Speaker 8: All they have EPA stuff they have to to you request. They might send you a copy in the mail. You're going to get a whole book of stuff, you know, and it's going to be concluded with the chemical make up and the breakdowns and that sort of stuff. But you can read between the lines and kind of figure out what the exposure is, but at least it's it's available to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I requested from my talent a couple of years ago. I was concerned about the water.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: The water was looking just a little different, uh than what I had been used to, and the town was very good. They gave me some reports that I looked at. Again, I'm not a scientist, but the reports provided with enough with me, with enough information that comed whatever apprehensions. I had. Floyd is always thank.
Speaker 7: You very much, no problem, glad to help talk soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks Floyd. All right, now I get a bunch of lines six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty, triple eight, nine to nine, ten thirty, and also six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. This is an hour that we've kind of dedicated because of the outbreak of West Nile virus and Tripoli eastern equine encephalitis here in Massachusetts in some areas Worcester County, Plymouth County. A friend of mine mentioned to me on Monday when I met him for the first time this year, hadn't seen him since last year, and he said, what's going on? And we just had a veterinarian and epidemiologist from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health doctor been Brown with us to talk about this, and again, there's not something to panic about, but it's something that the more information I think that you know about this, the more comfortable you will be. This is a part of living in New England, just as I guess hurricanes are a part of living in Florida, and maybe tornadoes in parts of the Great Midwest and the Plain States. Let me go next to Larry in Dennisport. Larry and Dennisport, how are you. How's the mosquito population down in the Cape.
Speaker 9: Sure, it's just as bad as the tip population.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm more concerned about ticks, but that's yeah.
Speaker 7: Well here.
Speaker 9: As an avid, as you well know, I'm an avid mountain bike.
Speaker 2: What's all the time all?
Speaker 9: I mean, it's all the time. I belong to the mountain Bike Club down here and we have these discussions all the time. So what I do and what a lot of the other guys do in the club is we treat what we treat for ticks as the primary because a lot of the trails that we ride, the brush grows in and you're rubbing against them. We treat our clothes with permitthron. Have you heard of?
Speaker 2: Yes, I have. When we have Dan the tick Man on every year he talks about permitthron, I believe.
Speaker 9: Yes. And the very important part about it is you treat your clothes. It has to dry for twenty four hours before you put your clothes on, so it's not like a bug spray.
Speaker 2: But it's also it's also if I recall very safe.
Speaker 9: Yes, it is very safe, and it also so it doesn't repel mosquitos. But if a tick or a mosquito lands on it, I guess there's something that happens and it kills them. So that's what I do. It's very hard to wear long pants and long shorts when you're riding on hot weather and stuff, so any bare skin I'll spray myself. But the one thing I'm not going to do this year. I'm an avid. I love fishing out of a kayak too, and my favorite time the fish is at sunset, and I think this year I might rein it in a little.
Speaker 2: Bit because not because of the mosquitos or the ticks, I assume it's because of the sharks.
Speaker 9: No, I fish fresh water.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, okay, I wasn't sure where you were kayaking. Okay, so you might rate it it because of.
Speaker 9: The mosquitos, Yeah, I think I might. Yeah, yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Tick shark going to bother in the water, you know that.
Speaker 9: No, No, it's the mosquitos and that's when they come out at night. And you know, because of my you know, the vaccine injury has compromised my immune system, so I try to, you know, avoid anything that might affect it. So but the promiferant to me is the number one thing.
Speaker 2: All right, Larry, I appreciate it very much. Be well, stay safe and enjoy the bike trails.
Speaker 9: Okay, Okay, thanks Dan back on.
Speaker 2: Nights Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep rolling here. By the way, Rob reminded me that, and it's important to say. Even though Sirius costs you about ninety well one hundred dollars a year, now that's their best price, the iHeart radio app is absolutely free. So download the iHeartRadio app for free, and it's never going to cost you anything in my opinion, because I don't think iHeart has any intention to charge you for that. So that's the best deal. The iHeart Radio app. I'm proud to say and proud to be associated as a member of the iHeart Radio team. Of course, also remember the WBZ team which is part of iHeartRadio. Let's go to Alan Saugus, Al you were next on Nightside.
Speaker 7: Welcome back boy.
Speaker 10: There's so many things I want to say. I love you, I love hearing you. One thing about iHeart I heard years ago they were bankrupt making any money.
Speaker 7: I hope they're in the black.
Speaker 10: Now are they in the black?
Speaker 2: It's getting better. You know a lot of the radio companies have had some problems over the years, but iHeart their stock is coming back a little bit, and WBC's going to be in the air for a long time to come. So you stick with us, okay, And so you know, we also ask people to encourage their members of Congress to support the bill which will mandate AM radio AM radio in automobiles. There were some manufacturers. Yeah, we're thinking of removing AM radio from new automobiles. So that's a factor as well. What's on your mind tonight?
Speaker 10: Aw you Well, you probably know this. When cars first started becoming out there on the road, they didn't know if they should put radios in cars because it might be too distracting back in the nineteen twenties and thirties, Did you know that?
Speaker 2: I did not know that, But that does not surprise because obviously got TVs. Well, you had TVs and you got cell phones. And the cell phones are the worst thing because you're trying to not that I would do this, but you're driving along at seventy miles an hour, traveling about one hundred feet a second. When you're at seventy miles an hour and you're trying to figure out who called me there? You know it's probably some scam phone call that you don't want to get in the first place.
Speaker 10: But go ahead, a warranty on your Porsche that you don't have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, of course, of course.
Speaker 7: So you were talking.
Speaker 10: I wasn't listening, but your gentleman, the screener, I forget his name, but I'm sorry, but I'm talking about the mosquito rob yeah, ro Yeah, you're talk about the mosquito bite that kills a person. And it made me think of the vagaries of life, like what are the I go fishing sis in at dusk they come out, you know, and I bug spray and the odds, like, is there any rhyme or reason? Is it just chaos of life? I guess they call it the vagaries of life and death. You know, and look at a quarter inch Yeah you trump a quarter inch or trump?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean and he would be dead. Yeah, no, no, no question about it. It's the vagaries of life. Also in terms of if you left your house, let's say, fifteen fifteen seconds earlier or fifteen seconds later, you might have been been t boned by that truck that went through a red light. Yeah, it's just as it is the vagaries of life. And you're sitting there and now the intersection is all blocked up, and instead of saying thank God I wasn't in that intersection at that moment when that train came through or whatever, most of us are sitting, Oh, this is going to make me late for work. Oh I's supposed to.
Speaker 10: Say, you just mention the G word. Does God have anything to do it?
Speaker 4: Is there some kind I.
Speaker 2: Believe in God?
Speaker 9: Okay, and I do a window that we're supposed to check out.
Speaker 2: I believe? Well, yeah, I mean I think that there's there's a lot to that, you know, again, I can't convince friends of mine that God exists. They can't convince me that God doesn't exist. I've never turned this radio program into you know, a God Hour. We stay away from the biblical quotes and all of that. Yeah, but I'm proud and honest enough to admit that through all my life, I've seen enough things that say to me, there's something bigger than us out there, and I would like to know.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 10: That leads me to the question, yeap, what how was a divine province or just a ten mile an hour wind that threw off the shot that didn't Because some experts said, when you go sniper shooting, well not sniper shooting, but you go target shooting, they won't go out if there's a ten or twelve twelve mile breeze because it's it's not fun, it's too you know, it's you can't really judge what you know. It's like trying to play golf and a hurricane or something. According to them, So was it the wind or was it God that save Donald Trump?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. Donald Trump believes in providence. I think that's what he said, yeah, and that's what he experienced. It Okay, I don't think that a ten mile an hour wind would That bullet was fired from about one hundred and fifty feet away.
Speaker 7: So they said it.
Speaker 10: I'd listened to some podcasts, some guys.
Speaker 2: Look, there was all sorts of things a podcasts. I'm telling you what. I believe that this wasn't a shot from a by Do you know the longest shot that has actually taken a human life. I think I read somewhere like two and a quarter miles. I don't know how I see someone and it was some sort of I think it was a Ukrainian sniper that took out a Russian soldier. You can google it, but no, I don't think every one of the members of Congress who were in Pennsylvania yesterday were commenting this special community that is from Congress that's going to investigate the assassination attempt. They all said they couldn't believe what a compact area it was. Having been to the Texas school book Depository where Lee harveyo Swalled assassinated, from which Lee Harvey Osweald assassinated President Kennedy in nineteen sixty three, I was amazed how small that Daly Plasa area is, and particularly in the little corner of the plaza where the school book depository, and the car approached and had to make this hairpin turn and had to slow down to almost two or three miles an hour to make the turn.
Speaker 10: Well, I ask someone who's a sniper, you know, not a sty keep saying sick, someone who plays you.
Speaker 6: Know, knows and ghost target shooting. Because I heard these guys they sounded very look, I'm sure they have, and they said, the type of the type of bullet. If it's a heavier bullet, it's got a snub, more of a snub nose, it's even affected more than they didn't know what bullet was used.
Speaker 2: I hear you. I hear you, l el. Unfortunately, my good producer Rob Brooks is reminding me that I got a break for the ten o'clock news. Maybe some night we'll take that up. But I got to be honest with you, whatever it was, his life was spared, and thank god it was. Thank you, Alan, Yes, thank you for too soon. Here comes the ten o'clock News on nightside, and we get back. We're going to talk about a very important subject that might actually be of more interest to you, and that is this huge national public data breach in which two point nine billion records have been stolen and probably some at least one of them are yours or mine. Back on Nightside after the ten