Speaker 1: Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence, and is not intended for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 3: All right, and what then? What did you actually find?
Speaker 4: It looks like it looks like the back in the butt in an arm?
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: Where's the show? Where's the fucking show? Put out the fucking show?
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 1: Nightmare?
Speaker 2: Shit? What is this? AI?
Speaker 1: What is this garbage? Your shit sucks? Put out the show. Put it out. Put it out. Now, you just put out one, you fucking scammer. You're not even fucking put it out the show every day, You fucking a piece of shit. Welcome to episode three fifty seven sword Scale. So if you go to our homepage swordscale dot com, there's a brand new show called Tales. It's an animated true crime podcast thing. I mean I call it a thing because we invented it. There's nothing like it, at least I don't think there is. Go check it out. We would really like some feedback. And as an artist it, you know, it's nice to hear what you think the audience. Just try to be nice about it and don't tell me. I just stick to what I'm good at because that kills any kind of creativity. It's early April at Warnemont Park, Wisconsin. It's around lunchtime and the wind is whipping off Lake Michigan, as it usually does. The grass above the bluff is still flattened from the winter. The golf course sign rattles in the background. Below the hill. The waves of Lake Michigan beat steadily against the rock and sand. Lake Michigan stretches for more than three hundred miles from north to south. It's early April and the water temperature is typically just above freezing. Even on calmer days, the wind pushes surface currents parallel to the shore. Two young men are walking near the bluff. They aren't looking for anything. They're just moving along the edge of the park, glancing down towards the shoreline the way people do. The winter weather has broken and they're enjoying the walk and conversation, even though it's still brisk out below them. The land drops towards the shoreline. It's a steep incline of dirt, grass and scattered rock. They take the path down to the sandy beach and start walking. Their footprints follow behind them. Then one of them notices something on the slope. It isn't at the bottom near the water. It's lodged part way up the bluff, about two thirds of the way up from the shoreline. Whatever it is is caught in the grass and loose soil. At first, it just looks like debris, but debris would be in pieces, and this is one large mass. As they walk closer wondering what it is, maybe a large fish of some sort, the shape resolves. It's not debris, it's not aquatic. It's pretty horrifying. Actually a foot with five toes. The toenails are painted neon pink. Now it's clear the foot is attached to a human leg. The lower portion is unshaven. The skin appears smooth. There are no visible tattoos, no visible scars. The foot is facing west, the top of the thigh facing east. The upper portion of the leg has been severed just below the ball of the thigh bone. Flesh and bone are exposed, but there's no blood. The skin at the cut edge forms a jagged, almost Z shaped pattern. The thigh bone its self appears partially cut through. For a moment, neither man speaks, but they exchange shocked expressions. The wind continues, then one of them pulls out his phone.
Speaker 6: Okay, where in.
Speaker 3: One of my park are you by the time?
Speaker 7: Where by the time by the golf course?
Speaker 3: Okay, what's going on there?
Speaker 8: Oh no, we just the lake the west, down by the whole lake on the quay.
Speaker 3: Follow what down there?
Speaker 4: Wor a worse human worst?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 9: Then we found that leg.
Speaker 10: Dude had team's his own hell phont Oh, well they.
Speaker 2: Can't for everyone on one it's been.
Speaker 3: Walking down, sir, hold on a second, Milwaukee County. If you guys have an officer and an ambulance to meet these two gentlemen at the.
Speaker 4: Parking lot by the golf course.
Speaker 3: Apparently they found the leg down by the down by the water.
Speaker 5: Yeah, are you guys any people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're a couple of deputies.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, all right, you're welcome.
Speaker 1: Deputies arrive. But by this time the leg is shifted location. It's not part way up the bluff where the men first saw it. Now it rests near the base, closer to the water line, and the waves are closing in on it. One of them is forced to move it carefully away from the water.
Speaker 11: Guys, I forgot to ask you who who was the one who actually called nine one one.
Speaker 5: Wasn't you okay?
Speaker 12: And then uh, when you guys initially seen the leg, where was it?
Speaker 5: It was just like on the beach. It was on the beach. It wasn't up on the hill.
Speaker 10: No, no, no, are they have fallen there? Since we were in the clay on the bike pointed.
Speaker 5: No, it's all good.
Speaker 2: It's all good.
Speaker 3: Like I said, you're not in trouble, dude, like any like a little detail could possibly help.
Speaker 5: So it was on the cliff and then it slid down or.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay because when they got down there, he had moved it from by the rock because it was I was trying to point it by the cliff.
Speaker 5: Because it was by the cliff, It's like, where is it?
Speaker 13: And then we were walking and I looked down.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, it's right there. He goes, oh shit. Okay, all right, cool, all right, I'll be right back with you guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, that was weird, right, not agreeing on where you spotted a human leg, because yeah, that wouldn't be burned into your memory forever. On that very same morning, April second, twenty twenty four, the Milwaukee Fire Department response to a vehicle fire in an alley behind a vacant building near twenty ninth Street. The call comes in just after sunrise. It's rain, the pavement is wet, and humidity is high in the alleys. It's a blue twenty twenty Honda Civic. Flames have already broken out and the car is engulfed. Firefighters extinguish the car quickly, and police have it towed to a secure impound lot. Later, investigators realized the fire did not start in the engine bay or the trunk. The damaged patterns are consistent with the fire that started inside the passenger compartment. In the burned vehicle, they find remnants of a fleece blanket and a purse. A handheld bicklighter is found in the back seat. On the front passenger floorboard, investigators find what's left of a green stuffed animal. When they take it from the car, they notice a strong odour consistent with petroleum distillate. The report notes the odor is overwhelming. Surveillance cameras in the area capture it in real time at approximately seven thirty am. Footage from a nearby building shows an unknown individual walking southbound from the direction of the vehicle fire In that same footage, two women can be heard shouting he did it, it's him, It's gonna explode. The figure continues walking southbound and disappears from the frame. Back at the lake, officers are still investigating the leg and wondering if this was a boating accident or something else.
Speaker 2: It makes it hard till I see where it came from because of the weather. Yeah, you know what I mean. It feels dry and might be able to see like a path where it like slid down from what do you.
Speaker 12: Say, like right off your fight a stick and foot.
Speaker 5: So I don't think the waves will call that high.
Speaker 2: So I don't think it lost.
Speaker 7: Oh, I don't think so either. I don't think so either. I'm thinking I'm gonna take a wild guest say it was a dump job. Yeah, like they got stuck into the crack and now it's the radar takes the sif slide down, That's why I want to here he's come down and be like, hey, yeah, there's a feaver bug here. There's may the rest of the body. Otherwise I'll go over there see if there's anything else.
Speaker 1: Even at first glance, officers determined this was probably no boating accident. This was a dump job. This was someone dumping body parts over the cliffs and alongside the shoreline, and the police combed the beach for days. Nothing else surface there. They were no longer talking about the lake. They were talking about a person whose body parts might be scattered everywhere, and they were right. Two days later, another piece of human flesh would fit the puzzle, this time in a whole other state.
Speaker 14: Another gruesome discovery along the shores of Lake Michigan, this time in Waukegan, Illinois. The Lake County Corner says someone walking the beach Saturday night found a human right arm, believed to be a woman's. The coroner describes the arm as quote mostly intact.
Speaker 1: And another part of Milwaukee, a mother has been waiting for her nineteen year old daughter to call. They last spoke on April first, over FaceTime, and nothing about that conversation suggested it would be the last time they would talk. By April third, she hasn't heard from her, but this is only slightly unusual. Her daughter is extremely busy, working two jobs, including shifts at pizza Shuttle on Milwaukee's East Side. She's also a student at Milwaukee Area Technical College. And she has her own apartment in the Lower East Side. A routine is complex. Some mornings start early with work, some evenings and late, and classes fill up most of the gaps. When she's not working or studying, she spends time with her friend friends and tries to have a romantic life. She's been balancing adulthood in real time. Like the rest of us, paychecks, homework, rent, friendships. It wouldn't have been unusual for her to miss a call to text back later. It wouldn't have been out of the question for a day to pass quickly, but two days, two days felt different. Her phone has not responded, she hasn't returned messages, no one has heard her voice. For someone juggling two jobs in college, disappearing without a word just doesn't fit. Friends have also noticed, all right.
Speaker 15: Josh, So, Yeah, the reason I'm calling you is I'm calling in regards to uh Soda Robinson And could you just kind of like inform me how you know her and when the last time you talked to her.
Speaker 16: Yeah, We've been talking for like, i'd say, about a month since I moved to Rochester, Minnesota. But I mean I'm from Milwaukee, so I had met her before last weekend. It was my birthday, so I came home for like four days or whatever, and we ended up hanging out multiple times. Saturday, I ended up staying at her place, stayed till Sunday morning, and then I left.
Speaker 13: I did some other things during the day whatever, hung out with my family or whatever.
Speaker 16: And then Sunday night it was Easter like I met her little like.
Speaker 13: Easter basket or whatever.
Speaker 16: I brought it to her at her grandparents place, so I met her family and everything.
Speaker 13: And then Sunday night, I mean something that I saw.
Speaker 16: Or at her grandparents stayed there for about an hour and then I left, and then that was the last time.
Speaker 13: I physically saw her. We were texting everything.
Speaker 16: The last text I got from her was three twelve pm on Monday, literally right before work.
Speaker 13: She said, have a good day at work.
Speaker 1: After that night, no one hears from her, no texts, no calls, no explanation, and by the time her mother has realized something is truly wrong, it has already been two days. What investigators are facing isn't just a disappearance. It's a human puzzle, and they don't yet know how many pieces there are where they are or what happened to her, But their best guess is murder. On a chilly afternoon in April of twenty twenty four, two young men took a walk down to Warnemont Park near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. As they make their way down the bluffs to the shoreline, one of them caught sight of a gruesome piece of landscape, a human leg caught in the weeds. One of them described it as looking like a Mannikin's leg, smooth dark skin, no blood whatsoever, only jagged pieces of rubbery flesh surrounding tissue muscle, and a femur bone with sharp spiky edges. The medical examiner would later testify about the force required to break the bone and remove the limb. Deputies responded and secured the area the leg had been lodged part way down the slope above the reach of the waves. That same morning, miles away in Milwaukee, a twenty twenty hontasivic was found in gulfed in flames. Surveillance cameras captured a figure walking southbound from the direction of the fire just after seven thirty am, while two women shouted from nearby as smoke filled the air. Two days later, along the shoreline in Waukegan, Illinois, a human r washed ashore. By then, what had looked like a single horrific find along a Milwaukee bluff had stretched across state lines, and in Milwaukee, a nineteen year old college student named Shade Carlina Robinson had stopped answering her phone. Concerned friends and family checked in with Chade's Life three sixty app, including a best friend she'd known since grade school.
Speaker 17: When you found out that Shade was missing, did you ever check Life three sixty?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Did you also have Find My Phone app?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is that a similar kind of service?
Speaker 2: Yes, just through iPhone?
Speaker 17: So once through iPhone to find my app, and then there's a whole separate app Life three sixty right.
Speaker 5: Yes, you shared your location with her on both yes?
Speaker 17: When you contacted law enforcement, what information did you want to provide them?
Speaker 2: My last.
Speaker 5: With the apps, her last locations that I had on my phone.
Speaker 1: Shade's mother and friends contacted officers for a welfare check, but before anything else unfolded, her friends had already been checking her social media. This is Josh again, the friend Shahda had been talking to.
Speaker 13: What I saw on her story was that she went on o to like dukes on water.
Speaker 2: Okay. Was it on Sunday or Monday?
Speaker 18: Or what? Monday?
Speaker 2: Monday? Okay? Did you see anybody in the photo at all?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 13: I just saw some palm coups.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 9: So the reason I'm calling is nobody has heard from her since Monday, and she she's missing. So today's Friday and we're trying to put some pieces of this puzzle together.
Speaker 2: So is there any information that you could provide?
Speaker 1: You had seen her story. She went out and was meeting someone pretty normal. This wasn't out of character, It wasn't alarming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 16: No, The last thing I know is that she went out Monday night. She went drinking and she said something about like I shouldn't do this again or stuff. I didn't see anyone in the photo.
Speaker 2: When you say she shouldn't do it again? What what does she mean by that?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 2: Was that snapchat? Was that a something like that?
Speaker 1: Ja Day wasn't known to be a partier. Her friends and family knew her to be a responsible young adult with military lineage. Her grandfather was a retired US Navy veteran and her uncle was a US Army veteran. Jade herself had been considering joining the US Air Force and was studying criminal justice with plans that included military service. At the same time, she was a normal young adult who liked to socialize.
Speaker 2: Okay, what time was that at?
Speaker 16: I say she went there after work?
Speaker 2: Okay, so she was was that? Was that a text message here? Or was that on her Snapchat or Instagram?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And that was at Duke's or was that different? Barer?
Speaker 13: It was at Dukes, but I think she went somewhere else.
Speaker 1: His friend Josh wasn't the only one to report she was meeting someone, so did her best friend?
Speaker 17: Do you remember her talking to you about a person she had met at the bar?
Speaker 19: I can't remember the place, but I remember she met somebody.
Speaker 5: Would that have been the weekend prior?
Speaker 19: Like with the dates, I can't remember the exact dates. I just remember before this incident she told me about some person who was but she met at a bar.
Speaker 5: The bar part I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Investigators would later retrace Schade's movements that night using phone data. Her phone first left Pizza Shuttle, where she worked earlier that day. It then traveled to a restaurant along the Milwaukee River, the Twisted Fisherman. Surveillance cameras outside the restaurant also captured Shade entering wearing a white top, black puffy jacket and jeans. Later that night, the phone moved moved again, this time to Dukes on Water, a busy bar on Water Street. After that, the signal went south across the city to a residence. Then in the early morning hours, the phone traveled one last time towards the Lake Michigan shoreline warn Amont Park. But at that point, investigators still didn't know whose house Shade went to that night, and they didn't know who she was meeting. So detectives dug deeper with their friend Josh, and it turned out they may have been more than friends.
Speaker 16: I say, we were really good friends, like starting to perform like a relationship, kind of like boyf and girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Kind of thing.
Speaker 9: Did you like go in a pizza shuttle and just start talking to her. Is at the work you're referencing pizza shuttle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was as a register or whatever, And then you're just getting.
Speaker 16: The kind of just shot the crap, like we're like, yeah, we're from Hartford or whatever. She's like, oh, I got to go to Hartford and then we just kind of talked for a little.
Speaker 2: Bit from there, and then you got her number?
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you give her your number? Or is she gets your number?
Speaker 3: I asked for hers?
Speaker 9: Okay, I have kind of a personal question to ask you. And I'm only saying this because I've interviewed her co workers and some of her friends.
Speaker 2: Did they? So here's what I'm trying to get some pieces of this puzzle together.
Speaker 9: And they keep referencing a guy and I don't know if the guy is you or some other guy, but did they ever refer to you as the virgin?
Speaker 4: They did?
Speaker 1: Poor Josh. Obviously, he and Shote hadn't had sex, even though they'd been hanging out together, and the nickname pretty much said it all. But Josh wasn't the one she was meeting that night.
Speaker 2: The thing is on Monday, April.
Speaker 9: First, she works nine to five and then she goes to the Twisted Fisherman with some other unknown guy and that's the last time we see her.
Speaker 2: And now I understand that she goes to Dukes.
Speaker 9: We're trying to get surrealans video from that, but we're trying to determine who this unknown guy is.
Speaker 2: So was there, go ahead.
Speaker 17: I have a question for you.
Speaker 13: Do you so you kind of know what the unknown guy looks like?
Speaker 20: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Did you have a little bit longer here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh shit, okay, so she was telling me that.
Speaker 3: So when we went out.
Speaker 16: Saturday night or whatever, you know, and then her friends and everything, ohly shit, that's crazy. There was this one guy was long hair, kind of looked kind.
Speaker 13: Of like a hick a little bit, not too much.
Speaker 20: But a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And when we got there to kind of like tapt.
Speaker 13: Hers, He's like, hey, shata and then she's like and then obviously you know I was with her.
Speaker 2: This is on Saturday, he said, No, okay, where.
Speaker 16: Was that celebrate friend's birthday?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 16: He you know, I said hey or whatever. And then you know, I was hanging out with her, met her friends or whatever. So you know, they were talking or whatever. We were having a good time. You know, we were drinking or whatever.
Speaker 2: Not that I mean.
Speaker 16: I wasn't drinking because the night before it was my birthday and I drank way too much, so I felt like shit.
Speaker 1: So she was drinking, you know, like I was.
Speaker 16: Made sure she got home okay or whatever.
Speaker 21: She told me at the end, of the night.
Speaker 16: She said, yeah, you know this one guy.
Speaker 13: He was he told me that, you know, he liked me or something like that. And I was like, well, she's not even my type. And I said, oh, what's your type? She said, oh, you're my type, and she's like yeah.
Speaker 2: He was really really mad.
Speaker 1: According to what Shata told Josh, this guy was upset because he was crushing on her. Earlier that day, Shade went mini golfing with friends and ran into this guy. He must have asked her out, and she turned him down because of her plans with Josh. Josh remembered Shade telling him that this guy just wasn't her type, but then they ran into him that night.
Speaker 13: If I had to put.
Speaker 16: Money on it, if you saw a guy with long hair, it was probably this dude, because he had I think he had liked her and she wasn't into.
Speaker 13: Him, and I think she got pissed off when.
Speaker 2: He saw me.
Speaker 8: He didn't say.
Speaker 13: Anything, but that's what she told me. She you know, as we're looking, she doesn't really notice him. She kind of tested her and says, hey, Shaw, and she's like oh, and because you know, they.
Speaker 3: Had seen each other golfing and then the girls.
Speaker 17: I mean.
Speaker 16: Then I continued and the girls were talking and she said, yeah, my friends really like you. There's this one dude though, and he said he was like crushing on me or whatever. And he said that he doesn't really open up to girls about his feelings and.
Speaker 13: Shit like this.
Speaker 16: So that's why I think there could actually be a motive, look like jealousy or some shit like that.
Speaker 1: Josh the Virgin was easy to talk to. He was providing a lot of insight into Shade's last movements, insight that even her mother couldn't provide. So not only was this long haired guy a possible person of interest, but Josh remembered even more.
Speaker 16: The only other guy that I know that could have maybe done something that I highly doubt.
Speaker 5: It was her neighbor.
Speaker 2: Is that that real guy?
Speaker 3: Okay, now, I.
Speaker 13: Guess you keep doing good and you're poking my mind.
Speaker 16: So I guess if there were three guys, I would think of, be that guy from the bar if he had long hair.
Speaker 13: There was an old ex about a.
Speaker 16: Month and a month and a half ago. She kind of got over him.
Speaker 2: I think he was still on her, like.
Speaker 13: He called her and was still talking to the family and stuff.
Speaker 5: So that could be it.
Speaker 2: He's a truck driver, white dude, black dude, his fan.
Speaker 13: Dude, Shit, I think he was black.
Speaker 16: I mean, I think you're the first white guy that she stated, because I met her family, they weren't expecting.
Speaker 13: A white guy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's kind of like what her friends said as well.
Speaker 22: So it's that neighbor.
Speaker 1: But all Josh could remember shot A saying about the neighbor guy was that he convinced her to try some of his gummies and she borrowed his phone charger.
Speaker 13: So that's all I really know about that neighbor dude.
Speaker 16: That other X It's something you probably should be aware of, is that I'd say, two weeks before this, her car was broken into.
Speaker 5: Yep, and they didn't take any of her personal stuff.
Speaker 13: It was more of like a statement they just broke her windows.
Speaker 3: They didn't, and they took her cover wheel of her driving.
Speaker 2: Like the steering column. Yeah, so if you were to look.
Speaker 13: Into it, I'd say it'd probably be one of those three guys.
Speaker 1: Josh had just given detectives three directions a possible break in involving Shade's car, a neighbor who may have made her uncomfortable and the man she had gone out with that night. At that point, investigators couldn't rule any of them out. Every lead had to be checked. But while detectives were still sorting through those possibilities, more body parts were surfacing. Some were found along Milwaukee's lakefront, others appeared miles away, scattered across different parts of the city. One discovery happened on the north side of Milwaukee. A passer by strolling through the park notices something in the grass in a playground area not far from where Shade's burned car had been discovered. At first, it looks like debris, some water it up, paper bag, or maybe a discarded child's toy. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be there. The person moves closer and figures they'll just throw it away whatever it is, in a nearby garbage can. But now they see what it is. A human foot. The skin is dark and flaps of flesh poke up around where the ankle would be. The toenails are neon pink. Investigators are called and find additional pieces of human tissue nearby, tissue that is much larger and looks like it was carved from or fell away from someone's stomach or thigh. Another grim discovery happened while a woman walked her dog on the beach in South Milwaukee.
Speaker 11: You can still see footprints all over this remote beach. That's a long Lake Michigan here in South Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: It's yards from my front door.
Speaker 11: Someone walking the remote beach. Around seven thirty this mo found a torso in an arm just yards away from Angela Buchanan's home.
Speaker 5: I'm definitely on edge now.
Speaker 11: The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office believes the body parts belonged to nineteen year old shad A Robinson.
Speaker 22: This is not something that anybody should have to go through, especially such a young girl. It just kind of makes me like scared now to kind of want to come down here with my dog, you know, and do what we do every day, because now it's gonna am I gonna come down here and be the next one that's gonna find more body parts.
Speaker 1: The worst fear in shot A Robinson's case was confirmed the body parts belonged to her. What started as a missing person's investigation was now officially a homicide. While detectives chased leads across Milwaukee. Shade's family and friends, we're doing something else entirely. They were searching for pieces of her. They walked the lakefront, they checked parks, they scared the shoreline, hoping to find anything that might help bring the rest of Shade home. For Shade's mother, one thought repeated in her mind that even after everything that was done to her, Shade had still managed to leave behind the clues investigators needed.
Speaker 20: Shade is forever. She will be forever remembered as an angel, a light worker who's touched so many souls, so many lives in the Milwaukee community.
Speaker 2: She is our hero.
Speaker 20: She is forever leaving an imprint.
Speaker 1: She walked in her own paths her own light. She saw her own case.
Speaker 2: My baby saw of her own case.
Speaker 13: That's how I raised my kids.
Speaker 2: We don't give up.
Speaker 1: We are fighters, Shade's mother was.
Speaker 18: Right.
Speaker 1: Before Shade disappeared, she left behind a trail of clues, texts, messages, pictures. As intrusive as social media is, these small moments shared with friends in real time would act as digital breadcrumbs. But investigators weren't relying on digital evidence alone. There was also the matter of Shade's car. Not long after she vanished, her charred vehicle was found burned in an alley near the playground where her foot was discovered. At first glance, it was obvious someone had tried to destroy it, but detectives noticed something about the inside of the car that just didn't sit right the driver's seat. The seat in Shade's car had been set for someone much taller. This is when detectives started closing in on the man shaw De went out with the night she disappeared, Maxwell Anderson. Max lived on Milwaukee's South Side, and as detectives compared notes, they realized he matched the description Josh had given in his interview. Josh had mentioned a mand shot a ran into days earlier, someone she turned down for a date when she went mini golfing with friends, but the man hadn't disappeared from her life. Just days later, she agreed to go on a first date with him. Max was twenty three years old. To most people who knew him, he seemed quiet, soft spoken, the kind of person who kept mostly to himself. He worked as a bartender and owned a house where he subletted to a roommate.
Speaker 2: And we're talking about Maxwell Anderson and yeah, okay, just clarifying that, and.
Speaker 5: Is he on this residence.
Speaker 12: He says that he does, but I mean, and he also suddenly he put like forty thousand dollars down on this and bought the place. But I don't see how if he only worked two days a week, how he could afford this place to begin with. I don't know if maybe his dad helped him out. I know his dad will sometimes I'll get like Steven Anderson mail here, So I don't know if he helped him out by it or something like that. He was real flexible with rent, which is why, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to stay here.
Speaker 1: To paint a picture for you. Max looked like an urban lumberjack version of Brad Pitt, if that helps.
Speaker 5: Did he have a girlfriend? Was he in a relationship with anybody that you know?
Speaker 12: I know that he texted me about on March eighth and said that he had just broken up with this girl named Maya and he was feeling really.
Speaker 13: Bad about it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 12: I don't know if you know that has anything to do with anything, But he's always had girls, you know. I wouldn't say a ladies man, but he's also always had like girl companions.
Speaker 13: Over and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, When detectives interviewed his most recent ex Maya, she painted the picture of what seemed like a normal relationship.
Speaker 18: We're probably going to ask you some personal questions. If you choose to answer, cool, if you don't want, you not totally get it. But there's a lot of pieces to this puzzle that we're trying to put together, and some of the things that you might know might really really help us.
Speaker 1: One of those personal questions was how many times Maya had had sex with him in the span of about two months they'd been seeing each other, And of course what was the sex like, So would you say.
Speaker 2: All times twenty fifty?
Speaker 20: Probably like go with like twelve, Okay, maybe.
Speaker 18: When you guys were hooking up, was there any like kind of communication, whether through the phone or in person, where he was like he expressed like any fantasy things that he wanted to do.
Speaker 2: No, No, you know, I didn't.
Speaker 5: Really have any like weird.
Speaker 2: He just like he didn't express like anything quote unquote not the average and you would do.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: No, he was like very just.
Speaker 5: Basic, like.
Speaker 2: Like and very just gentle.
Speaker 20: He never like screamed at me or like he never put his hands on me.
Speaker 1: Ever, this didn't seem like killer type behavior. Maya went on to explain that early in their relationship, her dog was sick and she needed to put him down. She remembered Max asking to meet the dog and said he was kind to him. In fact, he had two dogs of his own that were well cared for. Although his roommate portrayed him to be a big drinker, Maya said she didn't go for that.
Speaker 2: Did you think that alcohol and Max were an issue or no?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 20: I I mean, obviously I didn't really know him for that long, but I'm pretty sure he was a pretty frequent drinker. And I kind of go through phases of that too, depending on who I'm hanging out with. But like I when we were seeing each other, like I talked to him on multiple occasions like hey, like I know I having fun, but like I really don't want to be like drinking and going out this much like I like to be in the gym every day. I like to feel good and get my shit done.
Speaker 2: And he was like on board with it.
Speaker 20: He was like, yeah, I'll like, I'm down to not drink. He started going to the gym, like he he was trying to put his life together.
Speaker 1: It seemed like once he met me, but once he met her, his timetable didn't quite line up with hers. He seemed all in I was talking to.
Speaker 20: Him or dates with him, and then he was moving things way too more quickly than I wanted him to matchis. Yeah, he was like trying to move things very, very quickly. I don't have a good experience with people moving quickly in the past, so I kept telling him I wanted to slow down. And you say he wanted to move things quickly, Like, what do you mean?
Speaker 12: Like was his.
Speaker 20: Did he say anything?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 13: Was he?
Speaker 20: I mean, he introduced me to a lot of his friends right away. He wanted me to go to South Carolina and use mom AND's sister, and he booked flights for us to do that. He would call me his girlfriend even though I wasn't his girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Just to be clear, you know that in twenty twenty six, you can't be boyfriend girlfriend until the question is asked and the words are spoken. I mean, you can have sex twelve or twenty times and go on multiple dates, but that's just talking. That's nothing serious, you know. Anyway, the more questions detectives asked, the more sides of Max came to the surface, and so I did go.
Speaker 20: On a date with someone else and he did not want to March. First, I was working on off early and I went out to dug out another other bar next door with the guy that I was at Luxulfage with and I was hanging out with him and his friends, and then my coworker called me. She's like, my Max just showed up looking for you, and I was like, what, because he normally works Friday nights. Where was he looking for you at? He came into my bar looking for me, thinking I was still at work first, but he didn't text me or anything. He was like trying to surprise me.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: She was surprised, but not in a good way. She says that Max then started hanging out with her and the two guys she was with, but he was upset when one of them flirted with her. Max stormed out and she later told him she needed space. She should be able to hang out with whoever she wants. Unfortunately, they had planned to go to the Many golf course in a few days, but now she wanted to blow him off. She said she didn't want to go with him, but she went anyway. That's when things escalated.
Speaker 20: I told him I didn't want to go with him anymore, and I told him that I wasn't going to go in general.
Speaker 8: But he must have.
Speaker 20: I don't know if he just like sat there all night in the parking lot, like looking for me to show up there or what. But I went there at like seven thirty eight pm.
Speaker 2: Or his name is Chris.
Speaker 20: When we went there with Chris, we played golf. I was going to talk to a manager there because I used to work at Looks Golf Base, and I was about to swing and hit the golf ball and I hear behind me he's like, you better not get too close to the edge.
Speaker 2: You might fall off.
Speaker 20: I thought I was maybe like an old coworker like messing with me. I turn around in Max's there and like basically blew up that I was there with Chris is a different guy.
Speaker 16: And then he.
Speaker 20: Stormed off, and we were on the third floor, so we could like see the whole parking lot, so we were watching to see if he was gonna leave.
Speaker 2: He got in his car, he drove, but.
Speaker 20: He reparked, so we're like, oh shit, what is he gonna do? He circled Chris's car. He knew what Chris's car looked like because of when we went out that Friday before, So he circled Chris's car once, went back to his car, start from it twice, went back to his car, and he did it like four times, and like what is he doing the fourth time? A waunch, A police cars show up and he drives off immediately.
Speaker 5: Once the police cars.
Speaker 1: Show up, You're probably thinking that Maya and her friend called the police on Max. Well, you'd be wrong. It was the other way around. Not only did Max call the car, but he also smashed out her friend's tail light and gave the police his license plate, telling them the guy was driving drunk. He was hoping the police would follow the friend and pull him over for the smashed tail light or even give him a dui. Maya was Max's most recent girlfriend slash not girlfriend. Although he was pretty devastated when she told him that he needed space and didn't know if she could get over what he did, he did not take his frustrations out on her. This was March, just one month before Shade would disappear. But Maya also remembered something else Max had said.
Speaker 18: Once, I know it's an uncomfortable I know, having sex is a weird thing to talk about, and I get it. We're all adults in the room. It's just something that we were kind of looking into, and that's.
Speaker 20: All very gentle, more so than like some whole lot of guys have been with And even like he made a comment, He's like, I think it's weird how some girls like want to be choked. I feel like he's like, I really don't like doing that.
Speaker 1: Max had brought up the subject of choking during sex, not in a threatening way. If anything, he sounded almost disgusted by it. He told her he couldn't understand why some women liked that. Maya said Max had always been gentle with her, and when their relationship fell apart, he seemed genuinely hurt by it. At the time, it didn't seem like an important detail, but detectives would remember it later because Maya wasn't the only woman investigators spoke to. Even before Shade and Maya, there was another young woman. We're gonna call her Sherry for privacy, and what Sherry would eventually say would send chills down the spines of the most seasoned detectives.
Speaker 18: I've talked to two of his ex girlfriends, and I just keep saying the same thing. We're working a case where there's a girl who disappeared, and it's pretty much just a big puzzle piece right now. I'm trying to put everything together so your answers might be able to help us figure out what was going on. So when did you guys start dating?
Speaker 23: We started talking November twenty one, dating March ish twenty two.
Speaker 20: It was like kind of on and off, and then I completely.
Speaker 2: Cut them off.
Speaker 23: I would say March or April twenty three.
Speaker 2: How did you guys meet?
Speaker 20: Heartbreakers?
Speaker 2: Heartbreakers?
Speaker 5: How works?
Speaker 20: There?
Speaker 2: Does a dnswer? Okay, what did he do there?
Speaker 5: Marten?
Speaker 2: Did you guys just start talking or what was the connection?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 20: We would just talk and I was single, I mean single.
Speaker 24: I was looking for somebody older, kind of at their life or put together.
Speaker 20: So I was like, oh, like this could work.
Speaker 1: When detectives sat down with Sherry, the story she told started in a way investigators had heard before. At first, Max seemed quiet, reserved, almost shy, but that didn't last.
Speaker 23: I mean we would just like constantly get in fights. So he's either like really really mean and just like.
Speaker 25: Using anything he could, like any insecurity I had.
Speaker 5: He wasn't ever.
Speaker 25: Like physical with me, though, Yeah, he'd always he'd either be super super mean or like super loving. There wasn't like that in between.
Speaker 20: He would call me a slut. Before he had this weird obsession with my ex boyfriend. They ended up getting in like a bar fight on the same Pattie's.
Speaker 23: Day two years ago, and then ever since then he was just like obsessed with him. So he'd always like whenever we got in fights, like oh, like why didn't you go fuck Jack?
Speaker 2: Or like so immature, like it's that's my name, that.
Speaker 1: Funny, funny, creepy, not sure which, but go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 21: And then.
Speaker 26: With all the drinking that I was doing when I was with him, I obviously gained weight and like, no, I wasn't a teenager anymore, and.
Speaker 24: He told me he liked me like eighteen, okay, So as I was like aging and then drinking, I was gaining weight, and like at first single day it would.
Speaker 20: Be like I don't want you to eat all of that, just watching like how much.
Speaker 25: I was eating, called me like a fat horror like every day, told.
Speaker 5: Me even if I did lose the weight, I'd never be able to keep it off, so.
Speaker 1: Sherry told detectives Max could swing between extremes affection at one moment cruel the next. Arguments became more frequent, and sometimes, Sherry said, Max would talk about revenge, not just arguments. Plans weird plans.
Speaker 25: My best friend ended up moving in with my ex boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Ex boyfriend with Jack. Yes, okay, so.
Speaker 25: My best friend Lexi ended up moving in with Jack.
Speaker 23: Good and Max was like, Jack took your friend from you, I'm going to take I took you his last girl, Now I'm going to take his next girl. So he reached out to Lexi.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 25: There was one instance where he knew Jack worked on Brady Street, so he told me he was going to Bertie Street to.
Speaker 4: Find his car.
Speaker 23: I don't know if this ever happened or not, because at this point it was like I.
Speaker 26: Was trying to leave him, so it was really distancing myself, so I don't know exactly.
Speaker 27: At one point he asked me to invite Jack over to my place.
Speaker 25: And to beat myself up in the bathroom and call the police to get Jack arrested.
Speaker 13: And he said either I do that.
Speaker 5: Or he will do it himself.
Speaker 1: This was becoming a theme similar to what Maya had told detectives, jealousy, possessiveness, and weird revenge plots. And then came the questions about their sex life. Sherry's version was slightly different from Maya's, So this was.
Speaker 2: For about a year?
Speaker 5: Okay, in a year?
Speaker 2: Did you guys have sex a lot in the beginning?
Speaker 5: At the beginning? Yes?
Speaker 2: How often do you remember, do you?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Two times a day when I say?
Speaker 5: And then when did it start like dwindling down?
Speaker 20: When I started getting made?
Speaker 2: Okay? Did he ever make videos with you? Okay? How many do you think? Okay? Does he have the videos? Or do you have the videos? Did he ever send them to you? Okay? By chance?
Speaker 20: Do you?
Speaker 2: By chance? Do you have a tattoo?
Speaker 3: Right here.
Speaker 2: Is a scorpion? Okay?
Speaker 1: So just something to keep in mind. Sleep with a criminal and the cops might see your tattoos no matter where you hide them. And speaking of which, Max did have a criminal history. Just a little a few years are earlier, he was charged with disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property after smashing the windows of a car during a domestic dispute. Police had also been called the incidents involving arguments with family members at his home. All of this pointed to emotional or impulsive disorders, but not murder. Yet. Their conversation with Sherry continued, giving detectives even more reason to suspect him. Next, they pulled from Max's diary.
Speaker 28: Says, bondage equals rape comma roleplay and I'm not judging, not knocking it too bad.
Speaker 2: I'm cool, it's fun.
Speaker 28: I get it, I really get it, even if you are willing to accept that about yourself. You like to pretend you being raped because you otherwise can't feel anything. And he likes to pretend to be the rapist because that's how he'd imagine. I think he says, bed finally get late, or he'd finally get laid. Does that make any kind of sense.
Speaker 2: To you at all?
Speaker 1: Cherry said no, it didn't make sense to her, but it's also possible she was embarrassed.
Speaker 2: So one more time about the pretend rape comics.
Speaker 28: When was that kind of like were you guys in bed together, were you guys just like drinking or like how was he just brought it up and just said, I think that'd be hot.
Speaker 25: No, I think it like might have been like it might have come off in conversation like just like or like a movie or something.
Speaker 20: And he said, like rape can be hot.
Speaker 2: Okay. So but just just saw get everything straight. He didn't try to like set that up with you. He just said that rape could be hot, okay.
Speaker 1: Cherry denied participating in the rape fantasies Max mentioned, yet she did participate in another fairly common sex practice.
Speaker 28: I guess there were all adults. I believe I saw the video that you guys made. Do you recall the video?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, are you tied up in the video?
Speaker 13: I think so.
Speaker 2: From your recollection? What was going on?
Speaker 20: I think he was just fingering me?
Speaker 2: And then was that with the belt you described like you said, you're okay, yeah, okay. Do you know where you were at at that time?
Speaker 1: Say where's the female detective in this picture?
Speaker 2: Just asking Sometimes it was like a.
Speaker 25: Little more kinky.
Speaker 20: Wouldn't say anything.
Speaker 5: In the kinky times.
Speaker 6: What were they like?
Speaker 2: What was it like?
Speaker 5: He had the.
Speaker 25: Belt on his fat friend, so he used that time me up. And then there were points, God, this is embarrassing.
Speaker 5: No, it's totally trust me.
Speaker 18: We've talked to everybody and this is just it's just a dog's talk.
Speaker 23: And there were points where he would try and put his whole hand.
Speaker 25: In me okay, but that like usually ended up stopped because it was painful and I lead.
Speaker 2: So okay, did he ever are you guys? Did he ever choke you?
Speaker 20: Well?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, and you were fine with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he wasn't ever like like crazy, It was just like normal, Like I wasn't.
Speaker 20: I could not breathe or anything.
Speaker 2: But everything he was doing you were cool with as well. Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: Sherry was possibly so mortified at laying out all the details of her sex life with a potential killer that she almost forgot to mention something pivotal to the whole investigation.
Speaker 25: Anything that we did, like daywise involved drinks, so like going up to the bar concert.
Speaker 18: When you guys went on dates, what kind of days were they just mainly like going out getting food drinks?
Speaker 2: Was it yeah? Pretty casual like that. Did you ever fly anywhere with him? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 20: Oh he did take me to a park.
Speaker 25: He wouldn't tell what it was called because it was like his secret like private beach, so I would know if I.
Speaker 20: Like throve to it, because there's the next two restaurant on the.
Speaker 5: Way that we always stop at.
Speaker 1: But that secret beach had a name, Warnemont Park, the same shoreline where pieces of Shade Robinson had already turned up, a place where Sherry had visited with the very man detective now suspected was the killer. It was April of twenty twenty four in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It started with a severed leg on the shoreline of Lake Michigan, then an arm all the way over in Illinois, and it didn't stop there. By then, investigators knew the victim was nineteen year old Shade Robinson, a college student working two jobs and building a future that ended in peace. Scattered across the city and state lines, detectives had already started reconstructing the final hours of her life, which wasn't difficult in some ways. Shade had left behind a digital trail, her burned car abandoned in an alley not far from where one of her severed feet would later be discovered, surveillance cameras capturing her and her date moving between bars and restaurants, and phone data tracing her movements across the city in the hours before she disappeared. By the time investigators finished mapping that trail, one name kept appearing at its center. The man shot A Robinson had gone out with that night, Max Anderson. He was also the last person known to have seen her alive. It didn't take long before the evidence started piling up. Detectives obtained search warrants and started looking at Max's place, and before they even stepped inside, the yard looked like something had been clawing its way in and out of the ground. Max's tenant spoke with detectives about it, and you.
Speaker 5: Know how long he's on in this place.
Speaker 12: I know there was one tenant before me who also moved out because she hated it here, and I've never talked to her, but that's just what Max was telling me. He was like, oh, she was always calling the city on me because of you know, the holes of ship that he's got out in the yard. Like he said that was going to be a shed, like the big old hole he says that was going to he was going to turn that into a shed with like a basement. And they said, like when it gets cold in the winter, that's where I was going to keep my dogs. And I'm like, this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Of my life.
Speaker 1: Dumbest or maybe sickest who adds a basement to the shed in their yard and for dogs that are indoor dogs anyway, Well the answer is nobody.
Speaker 12: And then at the top it was going to be storage for like long stuff or whatever. That was his idea. And then there's another hole going like back to the garage. He said he was going to do an outdoor bar there. Guy's just weird, man. He had all these weird ideas that you just as a normal person, you look at that and you're like, that's never gonna.
Speaker 13: Work, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: The inside of the house was even weirder, as Max's ex girlfriend remembered.
Speaker 2: Well, he had like the hidden closet okay behind the TV refer too.
Speaker 27: Yes, he had that like marble piece that you could remove from underneath his bathroom counter. And he told me that he would store all this money there because he was just paroid of somebody coming in it.
Speaker 25: Yeah, he was just very paranoid.
Speaker 20: He had his little mushroom mouth.
Speaker 2: Man too.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When she was questioned earlier about the so called mushroom room, lab, detectives assumed she meant psychedelic mushrooms. But actually Sherry didn't know what the hell they were. Max never specified, He only told her that they could eat them, which she declined. Once inside Max's house, detectives found cutting tools, including a hacksaw, consistent with the saw marks the medical examiner found on Shade's bones. But the most disturbing discovery came from Max's phone. Investigators found pictures taking the night shaw day disappeared. In one, Shade is lying face down on a couch, looking unresponsive, while Max is grabbing her breast. During the autopsy, the medical examiner determined the same breast had been cut off, it was never found. By that point, detectives had seen and heard enough. On April fourth, twenty twenty four, Milwaukee police arrested and charged Maxwell Anderson with first degree intentional homicide, mutilating a corpse, arson and hiding a corpse. Prosecutors told jurors he killed Shade Robinson after their first date, dismembering her body inside his home and scattering her remains across Milwaukee and along the Lake Michigan shoreline. They pointed to surveillance footage of the pair together, the digital trail left on Shade's phone. The pictures from Max's phone and the cutting tools investigators found inside his house. Max's trial started on May twenty eighth, twenty twenty five, and after roughly two weeks of testimony, the jury returned verdicts of guilty on all counts. Both Max and his father made statements at his sentencing. Until this point, Max had said nothing, but now he was claiming innocence.
Speaker 21: I would like to start by saying that, from the bottom of my heart, my deepest and most sincere condolences go out to Shade's family, as well as everyone else affected by this tragedy. That being said, your honor, I took this to trial without everyone trying to make a plea deal of any kind, because I did not commit these crimes, and so I planned to appeal my convictions while I hope and pray that further investigations not only prove my innocence, but find and deliver true justice.
Speaker 1: Max's defense team made a similar argument throughout the trial. They told jurors the case against Max was built entirely on circumstantial evidence that no one had witnessed a killing, no clear crime scene had been established inside Max's home, and no single piece of physical evidence directly proved he had murdered Shade Robinson. They urged the jury not to mistake suspicion for proof. When Max's father addressed the court, he spoke about loss in an ironic twist. He referenced another young man he had once cared for deeply. It seemed like a tragedy had happened in that family, long before his son was ever convicted of murder.
Speaker 4: On behalf of myself and my family, I'd like to say a few things first to Shaya's family. There are no words.
Speaker 2: That I can share that will reduce your pain.
Speaker 4: You are all in my thoughts every single day, although it is not the same. Having lost a boy that was like a son to me ten years ago, I have some sense of what you are feeling. It took me a very long time to get the past past the pain that I felt for the person that contributed to his passing. I'm not asking you to forgive anybody or anything that is between you and your God.
Speaker 1: After making this mysterious comment, he turned his attention to his murderous son.
Speaker 5: We want you to know that we love you and support your plan for self improvement.
Speaker 6: In this we hope for a path for you to become a positive influence for society, both while you are incarcerated and hopefully after.
Speaker 1: But there was no path forward for a cold blooded killer like Max. We don't know much much about him, even from his own father's words, but we know the facts, and we know that the jury voted quickly and unanimously. His father talked about hope, self improvement and the possibility that someday Max could contribute something positive to society. The judge and the jury didn't see it that way.
Speaker 29: I've weighed your character, and as I've indicated, I find it wanting. I've also reflected on the needs of society and are you a good risk?
Speaker 2: And sadly you're not.
Speaker 29: So how do we protect society from a man who clearly has had darkness in his past, who engaged in behavior that is it's the facts that you see written in horror novels. That's what we have to determine, and you know it isn't easy. I can tell you that when you think about is there ever something redeemable, I'm in a person you'd like to say at some point there is, And I can tell you that at the points in life where I've come to the conclusion that there isn't anything redeemable. You know, you do think about I think it takes away a little piece of my soul. How come I couldn't find anything good? How come I can't find anything that I can say at some point you'll be a better person.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people are just not redeemable, no matter how hard to try to see the good in them. They're just isn't any Maybe they started as a good person and life's events just eroded the goodness away until there was nothing left but darkness. Or maybe they were just born with a heart of darkness. If that's even possible. Who knows. I'm no philosopher, I'm no theologian. That's what makes this case so unsettling. Maxwell Anderson looked like every other guy. He wore that mask perfectly. As for shot A, she was trying to do everything right. She did everything everyone expected her to do. She did the things people are told to do to stay safe. She told friends where she was going, she shared her location. Her movements at night were captured again and again on security cameras across Milwaukee restaurants, streets, parking lots. Almost every step of that evening exists on video all except one. The minute she walked into the House of Secret Compartments. There, Rumors have it they watched a movie about a serial killer who dismembers his victims. If true, was this a trigger or was this just for play for Max, because after the movie ended he killed her. Then he dismembered her body, burned her car, and took her to his secluded beach to leave parts of her body there.
Speaker 3: All right, well, I'm gonna send them a deputy downer to Saint Kite. It should be that too long.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, all right? And what then?
Speaker 3: What did you actually find?
Speaker 4: It looks like the.
Speaker 2: It looks like the back and the butt.
Speaker 3: In the irons, back arm and okay, okay, all right, expect to call from one of the deputies. I'm I'm assuming you're probably going to give you a call so they can uh exactly where you are. But we'll be there soon.
Speaker 2: As we can. Okay.
Speaker 1: He then scattered the rest of her remains across the city. To this day, she has not fully been recovered. No one knows where shot A put her head to rest. After the trial, allegations surface that Max told someone weeks earlier he was going to kill and dismember a woman he had recently met. That claim came from an informant tied to search warrants in the case. It was never fully tested a trial, but it raises the disturbing possibility that shah Day may have been targeted from the very beginning. Some people close to Shade also believe she initially rejected Max at some point he seemed jealous of her friend Josh. It's possible the date happened only after she tried to smooth things over, something many women do when they feel pressured or uncomfortable. If that's true, it adds another tragic layer to the story, because what may have looked like an ordinary first date may actually have been the final step in a situation that had already turned extremely dangerous or worse. If it can get any worse, Maybe, just maybe, Shade would have been the first of many unbeknowing women to follow in her path, all the way to Warnemont Park and all the way to Max's private beach. Well, we hope that'll keep you satisfied until next week. We know it won't, but you know, boy can dream check out tails and leave us some feedback we'll see you next week. Stay safe,