Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz, Bang Bang, the pub quiz practice show that hits you pow right in the quizzer. I'm David Flora.
Speaker 2: And i am Annie Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than the magpies have opinions about things that are going on. We live by some magpies. The magpies are our neighbors. The magpies have opinions and they state them constantly.
Speaker 1: It's a regular Twitter out there. Heyo, any that's me. Let's give it up for our newest patron, Lisa. Lisa, and a reminder to everyone, We'll have Zoom Trivia on the second Saturday in August, Saturday, the eighth noon, Mountain time. Come hang out, play some trivia, have some fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would love to see you there.
Speaker 1: And that's all the business we have for the moment. So let's get to the trivia we have for.
Speaker 2: The moment, this magic moment.
Speaker 1: For after the moment. Here's how the show works. Whiz Quiz Bang Bang's format is four rounds of four questions, each followed by the answers. After round two, we'll ask a quick fire bang bang question where you'll have a time limit to give multiple answers. After the fourth round, the show culminates with the Big Bang, a final round with three questions, whose answers are all clues to one final question. Round one. Question one, the category is geography. Which European country is made of sixteen voivodeships or provinces? Two? Category Religion, The Pope gets appointed by a college of what rank in the Catholic Church? Question three? Category language? What compound term denotes a term at least partly assimilated from one language into another language through the process of borrowing at no fixed interest rate? Question four category Sports. This one comes to us from listener Leila. Thank you Leila, Thank you La, who was the first Saint Louis Cardinal to win the home run derby? And now they answers to round one. Question one, Which European country is made of sixteen voivodeships or provinces Poland? Question two? The Pope gets appointed by a college of what rank in the Catholic Church? Cardinal? Question three? What compound term denotes a term at least partly assimilated from one language into another language through the process of borrowing at no fixed interest rate?
Speaker 2: Loanword, so when we use the word from another language, we don't get charged interest not.
Speaker 1: Anymore any Hey, what a time to be alive? The Fed drop those interestries for an example. Kindergarten would be an example in English. It's a word borrowed from German. Now it's used in English. Question four. Who was the first Saint Louis Cardinal to win the home run derby? Jordan Walker? He won the twenty twenty six home run derby just switch and then he went and voted for the pope.
Speaker 2: It's a cardinal theme round two. Question five the category is history. Which group of Celtic peoples of mainland Europe reached their zenith around the third century BCE. Question six the category is literature. Which Shakespeare play depicts a military commander who is manipulated by his junior officer into suspecting his wife of infidelity. Question seven. The category is society and culture. This question comes from listener Kentucky Amy, Thank you, Kentucky Amy.
Speaker 1: You Kentucky Amy.
Speaker 2: Having just wrapped up for the year and dating back to eighteen twenty eight, what is the oldest continuous fair and horse show in the United States? Question eight? The category is science. What is the term for a substance that dissolves a solute resulting in a solution? And now the answer is to round two? Question five? Which group of Celtic peoples of mainland Europe reached their zenith around the third century BCE The Galls? Question six, which Shakespearean play depicts a military commander who is manipulated by his junior officer into suspecting his wife of infidelity. Ohthello, Luckily Othello talked to his wife and they worked it out and there wasn't any problems.
Speaker 1: Get thee to a marriage counselor.
Speaker 2: Question seven, Having just wrapped up for the year and dating back to eighteen twenty eight, what is the oldest continuous fair in horse show in the United States? The Mercer County Fair and Horse Show, located in Harrodsburg, Kentucky. That seems like fun. I like horses. Question eight? What is the term for a substance that dissolves a solute resulting in a solution? Solvent? Very sol heavy.
Speaker 1: Question It's got soul. Hey, that's it for the first half. That means it's time for the bank background. The category for this week's bank background is classical music. You're gonna have thirty seconds to give as many answers as you can to the following fringe. Composer Camille Saint Sons wrote a musical suite called The Carnival of the Animals. Its movements include nine specific non human animals. Name them Your time starts now.
Speaker 2: And that's time. The nine specific non human animals are lion, hens, roosters, onagers, we will accept, wild donkeys, domesticated donkeys, get out of here, tortoises, elephant, kangaroos, cuckoo, and swan. There are fourteen movements total, with other pieces including aviary, aquarium, characters with long ears, fossils, and pianists.
Speaker 1: The last one is a joke. His joke, okay, but it is. There is a movement called Pianists.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, and it's.
Speaker 1: Basically just like exercises for your fingers, like and it's just meant to show show off.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 1: And what the characters with long ears do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, we already have wild donkeys, so I'll say domesticated donkeys. You're a backet.
Speaker 1: You're right, really, that's right. But since it's not named in the title of the movement. I can't accept donkey a domesticated donkey. Honagers are Asian donkeys. Basically they're about the size of a horse and they're pretty fast, So snickers they might be friends with sniggers. There's a lot to that. And if you want another fun fact, he didn't want it played publicly in his lifetime because he thought it would sully his image as a composer because it was so fun.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's just like no, I am very serious.
Speaker 1: Apparently, and yet he did perform it with chamber orchestras he did perform it privately for some oks. Round three. Question nine. The category is mythology. The month of June is named after which Roman goddess. Question ten, Category literature. This one comes from listener Jose, Thank you, Jose, thank you Jess, which French philosopher and author wrote bonjour tristees. Question eleven, Category technology. The auto industry designates vehicle airbag tech by the acronym SRS, which stands for what. Question twelve, Category medicine. What alternate name for tetanus comes from severe muscle spasms, particularly those used in chewing and now the answer is to Round three Question nine. The month of June is named after which Roman goddess you don't have to go far juneo. Question ten. Which French philosopher and author wrote bonjour tricesse Francois Sagon, author was eighteen and it was an overnight sensation.
Speaker 2: Sensation sensation. It's a movie to now it's a woman, right, Yes, it's the og Ca Bush just writing something as a teenager and becoming an overnight sin satan. I think this was written around nineteen fifty four.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, I enjoyed this academic awesome about the fuffers. Question eleven. The auto industry designates a vehicle airbag tech by the acronym SRS, which stands for what supplemental restraint systems. It's called supplemental because it's in addition to seat belts, not as a replacement, which they thought at one point airbags would replace seat belts. But seat belts perform much better, and so these are in addition to seat belts. They help keep you safe, so they're supplemental. Question twelve. What alternate name for tetanus comes from severe muscle spasms, particularly those used in chewing lockjaw round four?
Speaker 2: Question thirteen. The category is language. This question comes from Brian the Language Guide. Thank you Brian and Brian. What adjective meaning lasting for a short time comes from an ancient Greek word for of or for the day? Question fourteen. The category is animals. Fire bellied toads are one of the few species in the animal kingdom with pupils that are what shape A fact you just have to love. Question fifteen. The category is food and drink. What kind of food is hallomi? Question sixteen the category is sports. From the back end of one end zone to the back end of the other end zone? What is the length of a regulation American football field in feet?
Speaker 1: And now?
Speaker 2: The answer is to round four Question thirteen. What adjective meaning lasting for a short time comes from an ancient Greek word for of or for the day? Ephemeral? That's a great word, Pretty great. Question fourteen. Fire bellied toads are one of the few species in the animal kingdom with pupils that are watch shape A fact you just have to love. Heart This feature is in a few species, mostly frogs and toads. Do you think that's why women kiss them thinking they'll turn into princes?
Speaker 1: No, scientists don't know why or if it helps or does anything in shape yet it looks great, looks great, let's feeling.
Speaker 2: Question fifteen. What kind of food is halloumi cheese? It's a traditional Cypriot cheese made from a mixture of goats and sheep's milk and sometimes also cow's milk. I mean if it's cheese. Question sixteen. From the back end of one end zone to the back end of another end zone? What is the length of our regulation American football field and feet? Three hundred and sixty feet.
Speaker 1: That is a one hundred yard field and two end zones that are ten each, so one hundred and twenty yards. It's three sixty.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: That's it for the regular rounds. That means it's time for the Big Bang round. The category for this week's Big Bang is film. We'll give you three questions, the answers of which are all clues to the final question. Keep in mind the three clue questions may not be from the same category as the final but they also may question.
Speaker 2: According to Rotten Tomatoes, which two thousand and three Richard Curtis romcom is a sugary tale overstuffed with too many stories. Still, the cast charms.
Speaker 1: Question two in the Harry Potter series, which Professor of Divination at Hogwarts is fired by Dolores Umbridge.
Speaker 2: Question three, which two thousand and five film centers on a mysterious woman with special powers hired to be governess to seven children of their recently widowed mister Brown.
Speaker 1: And your Big Bang question again the category is film. Who is the only person to have won competitive Academy Awards in both an acting category and a writing category, having won Best Actress in nineteen ninety three and Best Adapted Screenplay in nineteen.
Speaker 2: Ninety six, And now the answer is to the Big Bang round? Question one according to Rotten Tomatoes, which two thousand and three Richard Curtis romcom is a sugary tale overstuffed with too many stories. Still the cast charms love actually.
Speaker 1: Question two in the Harry Potter series, which professor of Divination at Hogwarts is fired by Dolores Umbridge Sybil Trelawney.
Speaker 2: Question three, which two thousand and five film centers on a mysterious woman with special powers hired to be governess to seven children of their recently widowed mister Brown, Nanny McPhee.
Speaker 1: And finally, who is the only person to have won competitive Academy Awards in both acting and writing, having won Best Actress in ninety three and Best Adapted Screenplay in ninety six, starring in Love Actually, Nanny McPhee and Harry Potter as Sybil. It's Emma Thompson.
Speaker 2: She's pretty great. Her adaptation of sense and sensibility I think is very good.
Speaker 1: That's what she won for. Yeah, and then she won acting for Howard's End, which was another Edwardian period.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that one yet, but now I want to, because Yeah, she's great in Love Actually.
Speaker 1: The she's great and pretty much everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's just very talented. Yeah, she's an amazing actor and writer.
Speaker 1: I think she co wrote Nanny McPhee. Hmm, she's a gym. It's an amazing feat too, winning writing and acting. Now, there have been a few people who've been nominated for both. Matt Damon for Goodwill Hunting. He won screenplay but didn't win. Actor, Woody Allen I think was another. Sylvester Stallone was another, and Charlie Chaplin, oh yeah it was one. Owen Orson Welles. She's in good company, right, I mean none of them won acting though, Yeah, they only won writing, I think, or vice versa. But she's the only one to have won both.
Speaker 2: Matt Damon hasn't won a Best Actors He has not. That is interesting.
Speaker 1: It might change with The Odyssey, sure, but yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Think I'll at least get it nominated for I think he will too. I don't know if he'll win, but I think he'll get at least a nomination.
Speaker 1: Who's he up against this year so far?
Speaker 2: He Man, He's up against he Man. The Avengers is coming out later. A movie that is coming out is Digger, which is Tom Cruise is in that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 2: That might make some buzz around it.
Speaker 1: I can't tell what it's trying to be from that look.
Speaker 2: Maybe like dark comedy, you know, political satire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's that's a that's a good point.
Speaker 2: He might yeah, Project till Mary Ryan Gosling was good in it. I don't know if that's getting sort of yeah right, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: Anyways, welcome to our spin off film film bang.
Speaker 2: Oh and wild Horse at nine is gonna come out, which is a Martin McDonough and that usually gets his movies usually get buzz around them, and they'll have John Malkovich, So we'll see.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, the the one with him and Sam Rockwell, whether C I A or whatever looks good might pull that one out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there are some good movies coming up, so.
Speaker 1: We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 2: I mean, the good news is either Matt Damon gets to win an oscar good for him, or question remains yes, unchanged and the trivia can stay memorized.
Speaker 1: Well, we appreciate you guys listening. If you want to support what we do, you can buy a coffee at kodesh fi dot com slash quiz bank pod, or become a patron like Lisa did at patreon dot com slash quiz Bang, and don't forget August eighth, Saturday Noon, Mountain Times Zoom Trivia. I hope to see you there for this episode of Quiz Quiz Bank Bang. I've been David Flora, I've.
Speaker 2: Been Addie Flora. Here's looking at you.
Speaker 1: Quiz.
Speaker 2: I thought it was scrash ses Sammies
Speaker 1: Go out of control