Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 4: Two nothing, It's Alva not so fast Cohole Breadth with Don Taylor. I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose and.
Speaker 2: Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 1: I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those cherry years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 4: That fucking downtown man grouper the Paul Carsons Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man that the controls our director. The voice of God is Derek One. How are you lovely?
Speaker 1: Couldn't be better.
Speaker 4: Because it's just because I was away for.
Speaker 1: The US yesterday.
Speaker 4: Off.
Speaker 1: You're getting a lot of days off.
Speaker 4: What's happening on Friday? Do you have any idea?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I got you won't be here.
Speaker 1: I got to go to Toronto. I got stuff to do, I got people.
Speaker 4: What do you have to do in Toronto.
Speaker 1: It's just it's it's it's it's it's uh people to meet.
Speaker 4: Are you leaving us? You haven't.
Speaker 1: Why would I go to Toronto? I've been that. You went to Toronto to work? I have no desire to work there. I love it right here.
Speaker 4: I actually liked it there. As a Vancouver is awful to blasphemous, but I actually enjoyed my time in Toronto. I didn't live there, but I was there. I was there a lot. It was fun.
Speaker 1: You like the suits in Toronto? God bless you. No, I don't bless you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, trust me that. I'm not a big fan, although they were good to me in some ways. Okay, Game four of the Stanley Cup Final tonight in Vegas after a two day break, Golden Nights up up to one five four double win on Saturday. Just fabulous entertainment. We're gonna talk more about that as the show goes on, but we have to start here, don't we. Mike Babcock story crazy. Did anybody do you know anybody who said this was a possibility him going him being hired by the Evanton Oilers, like all the names that were thrown out. They're led by Bruce Cassidy and maybe this still happens with him, but Mike Babcock and he's He's met with Darryl Cats, He's met with the management, He's met with the leadership group with Connor, He's talked to Connor McDavid and Leon dricidel I guess, Zach Hyman, Evan Bouchard and thumbs up from everybody, everybody who saw this coming up.
Speaker 1: He hasn't coached since twenty nineteen. His last playoff series went on twenty thirteen, the Columbus fiasco. The Columbus signed him a few years ago. He didn't even make it to the game one and the training camp. You know he was asking for the cell phone photos controversy. Yeah, I just you know what, and you know what, people can thank Vegas for this by holding back Cassidy that Edmonton was forced to look elsewhere.
Speaker 4: I think in elsewhere. Yeah, in more ways than well, there are other coaches available, right, Yeah, they could rehire Jay Woodcraft. But also when it comes to Vegas, you mentioned they can thank Vegas for this, and they're not gonna let Cassidy talk probably until after the postseason, or maybe they don't want him coach and go. I don't know what the situation is. But also I wonder how much this has to do with John Tortorawa because who saw that coming? Nobody, right, nobody? Eight games left and you're hiring this controversial head coach. Is the game passed him by? And how does he treat people? And look where they are, you know, two wins away from winning a Stanley Cup, and I wonder if that if that has some influence, like they're looking for a point for a quick fix here and Mike Babcock last time I checked hockey wives not doing much. He's available the resume again, there are there are plenty of negatives there, but you know he's a twelve winning as coach of all time. There are a lot of positives. Couple of gold medals and Stanley Cup and all sorts of success and made a whole lot of money. The Leafs liked him a lot, not not not that long ago.
Speaker 1: Absolutely also let them go. And look what's happening in the NHL. Star players like Dylan lark And are asking out. They're tired of losing now these star players want to win, and they want to win today. Dot Is this a one or two year deal to get the cup? For dry Citle and McDavid is acrost? It is because if they don't get the cup here soon, they're gonna want out too. So are the players getting more and more power every day?
Speaker 4: Don So what is what does this lead to? What word? Does it lead to? Desperation? Desperate? Is that the way you want to run your business? But if you want to, you know, wake some people up. Oh did they ever create a spark and show people that you're serious? And we're talking about Stan Bowman and Darryl Kates here. Well, we're gonna hire Mike Babcock and the goal is obvious. We're not here to squeak into the playoffs. We're here to win a Stanley Cup. Connor McDavid two years left on his contract, maybe two years left in Edbonton. Let let's go. I guess from that point of view it might make sense. But you made the point about the last time he won a playoff series twenty thirteen, nothing in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Nothing in Toronto. It was a disaster in Toronto. And did the players want this done in Edmonton. Did they are they the ones? We they you know didn't.
Speaker 4: If it happens, though, Rick, if it could happen, then you can look to Connor McDavid and Leon dry Sidel And again I'd assume Zach Hymen and Evan Bouchard and say, well, you guys wanted this, I mean.
Speaker 1: You were okay with this, Yes, you signed off.
Speaker 4: Connor McDavid is so competitive. If you can't get Bruce Cassidy, who's won a Stanley Cup and is you know, probably the hottest commodity out there, then who's your next choice? Maybe it makes sense from that that point of view, But when you you get reminded of all these stories and people can look it up without going into too much detail. The situation with Johan Fransen who had mental health issues on the back he bullied him and Mike Madonna sitting him out when he was so close to fifteen hundred games to what end, like why.
Speaker 1: And then asking Mitch Marner about another player, then telling the other player Marner said that.
Speaker 4: Well that's another dressing room.
Speaker 1: About He told that, yeah. Look his uh, some of his the way he deals with people is not right. But right now they need to win tomorrow down not five years. This isn't a deal with the coach for five years down the road. It's next year. They need to win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if whatever deal he signed one winds up with Connor mcgavid too. Maybe maybe three years for miabcock.
Speaker 1: But he's talking.
Speaker 4: I mentioned the word bully, and then other the other word that you have to you know. Look, I think I've interviewed him a couple of times, but he's weird. That situation like with Columbus, like in this day and age, what makes you think that that's going to help your team win? You know? And the young players asking your your young player, your player's period to share their personal photos from their cell phone and somehow that's going to create a bond between teammates. It's or maybe just finding out how they react to having to share their photos. It's just weird, weird. Do I want that? Do I want that in my in charge of my room, in charge of my team. I don't. But but well we're not mcconnor, McDavid or Leon Driis. I don't know. If they say it's okay, then we'll see what happens. I tell you what, it's great for shows like ours, oh bit. From that point of view, I'm okay with it. And the other thing too. There's a lot of people watching this show who could care less because we're talking about the arch rival Edmonton Oilers here versus the banchor of a Canocks. They're probably okay with it too, because it you would think, given the history, that the Oilers would be headed towards disaster if they hire Mike Babcock. But it might work, and it's sure is interesting, and we'll we'll talk about it a whole lot if indeed it happens. Look, it hasn't happened yet. Now you're talking about that yet.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Bob Stouffer, our good friend in Edmonton said, it looks like it's going to happen.
Speaker 4: Out of nowhere. I don't know. Look, listen, everybody has contacts. So many people have contacts. You certainly do nobody.
Speaker 1: Nobody, Nobody hurt Babcock's name. Nobody.
Speaker 4: You just thought that was it. You know, he could collect his money from the leafs and whatever, you know, the red wings, the ducks although and just go off into the sunset, And yeah, you could, didn't see this happening. But again I wonder if the if Kates and Bowman a company, the orders went, you know, look at Torts and what he's done with Vegas, older coach that nobody thought would you know, would have a chance of getting back into the NHL. There was two wins away from his day. Hey, you know what, Mike Babcock's available, what let's go get them? What about him? So I wonder if that has something to do with it. Peter Laviolette, by the way, also a candidate in various places, but hired by the La Kings.
Speaker 1: So that means two teams left to hire Donnie Edmonton in Toronto.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then well we'll see what happens with with Cassidy. Okay. Michael McCarran, Yeah, bottom six senator center. Rather with the with the Minnesota Wild. He's gonna stick around with the Minnesota Wild. Sixty two split last season between Nashville and Minnesota. He was good in the playoffs and there was some thought that he would be a player that might fit with the Canucks.
Speaker 1: Wreck there was gonna be a fit with the Canucks. I mentioned that he's gonna be a ufan. Yeah, he's gonna be a few weeks ago. So look, this guy's thirty one years old. This is what I think people got to realize what's going on. Thirty one years old. He's a centerman, bottom six guy. He got six years to get the AVV down down to three point three million per year. Otherwise he was going to get a bigger number. On July first. Columbus gave thirty four year old center Charlie Coyle six years. This guy got six at age thirty one. Teams are locking up their centers, they're not letting them get to July first. So many teams are looking for centers. As baffling as this sounds, done, I think there's gonna be an interest in Elie's Petterson. Some team, regardless of his last two years, regardless of his regardless of his inflated salary. Some team's gonna think they could turn Eliash Petterson from fifty points eighty not one hundred seventy five eighty done. It's gonna happen. Just so many teams are desperate for centers right now, and and all those people out there that don't understand why the Canucks like Caleb Maholtra so much nowadays you have to draft and develop centers. Getting him on July first is nearly impossible. Teams are locking them up as we've seen too, Charlie Coyle and this guy.
Speaker 4: Well this is only three point three million, it is, But if.
Speaker 1: You would have gone to July first on he could have got four maybe four and a half, I don't know. But you got to draft and develop centers. And people just are not clicking in about Caleb Maholtra. The Canucks are organizationally weak at center. You got to draft and develop them. Braiden Coots is coming, right, Braiden Coots is coming. But after that, there's nobody that is so wrong? How is it wrong?
Speaker 4: They're in a position where they have to draft the best player available, and if it's Caleb Maholtra and he's a center, I guess absolutely. You can't be the position the Canucks are in. Rick, the position the Canucks are in, they can't. They can't go We're gonna We're gonna draft based on position. No, you got to go with the best player. I get that argument as well.
Speaker 1: But after Braden Coats named me one prospect in Vancouver that is a centerment, they got nothing in atmosphere, Don.
Speaker 4: They can go sign Dylan Larkin.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, Dylan Larkin is gonna come to Vancouver after bitching about Detroit not making the playoffs and then he wants to.
Speaker 4: Go to the worst team in Hotel. You know I'm kidding. I know, I know you kid, but no, come on, you've been on this, You've agreed with me.
Speaker 1: Tell why they like so much. And I'm also telling you Don right now that teams are not letting their centers get to July first. I see that they right now.
Speaker 4: Scott Lawton, are you ready on July first? Oh, you're making it sound like they're on the verge of winning the Stanley Cup, Like they got to go for the best player possible, no matter, no matter the situation, if anybody is related to anything like that.
Speaker 1: But everybody coming out of the combine we talked to last week in Buffalo is convinced the Canucks are going to take Maholtre if he's available at three. Everybody, who do we have yesterday? Right, Scott Wheeler said same thing. Everybody in Buffalo's talking Maholtra for the Canucks.
Speaker 4: Just say what if? What if? San Jose and Toronto passed on McKenna or Stenburg or Stenburg and he and one of those players is available, so is Maholtra.
Speaker 1: Well then you've got a big decision to make me go.
Speaker 4: So it's not automatic. It's not automatic because okay, again we've gone over this a million times. The possibility of Chase for you going to San Jose, yes, where they would love to you know, they would love to pair him with Dickinson. They need it, they need a young defenseman. It makes sense. So maybe one of those two. You know that one of the two players expect to go top two, maybe one of them will be available.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a good point. But what Minnesota did and Columbus did with two thirty year old guys and gave him six years. Teams are locking up their centers. They're not letting them hit July first.
Speaker 4: Okay, So draft for position, no matter what situation your team.
Speaker 1: I'm just telling I'm just telling you they like Maholter a lot. You know, whether it happens or not, we'll see.
Speaker 4: Okay, great, how are you right? Everything?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm not used to sitting over here. It's weird.
Speaker 1: You sit there every day enough for it's Saturday or yesterday and Friday. That's right, that's right, there you go, Yeah, all right, should I be worried he's thinking, he's thinking about that chair?
Speaker 5: Now it's much more I got watch it. I got a way better chair compared to you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm good. Yeah, we've got the ones from that you guys ordered from fair Yeah, thanks for that. Yeah, furniture deal. Should I get on with the giving to the break abel. It's got a lot of furniture. There you go, perfect d t m Z is it just me? Coming up in the eleven o'clock hour, Tyler Zikel is going to join his setter on Living fifteen or so voice of the Vankaver Canadians. You can hear him on Sports that six fifty. They have a six game series coming up against Everett. Aervon. Talked to Todler for a while, so we'll get an update on the Vankover Canadians. And they're seventy five sent to hot Dogs and some player moves instead have been made by the Vanker for Canadians. Craig Button will join us just after eleven o'clock. We'll see what he thinks about Caleb Maleholtra and about the Mike Babcock situation and everything going on in the National Hockey League, including that fabulous Stanley Cup final and the NBA finals, by the way, have been just tremendous theater for sure as well. Big Rye the Twitter guy will join us later this hour in that chair and up next. Former Canuck he spent last season a little bit a few games with Edmonton that got picked up on waivers by the Toronto Mapleas enjoyed his team as time there body's now a UFA and you were saying he's definitely gonna come back to.
Speaker 1: Them, Stop it down. I never said that.
Speaker 4: Chroy Stature, the Pride of Richmond guests join us next. Thanks so much, Chev for tuning in. Folks, Donnie Dolling the team.
Speaker 2: Check Donnie and Dollie. The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type.
Speaker 1: Of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 4: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA. Do's sales at a b l E Auctions dot CA. Man the discussions we have in the break Oh, all of our guests today on this Tuesday, including Kroy statue standing by sponsor by Bon Motors, Bright Deals embedded drives are ahead at Bason Motors.
Speaker 5: See you're all messed up because you were off. Yes, yes, yes, it's it's not Monday, Tuesday.
Speaker 3: We already did that for our friends at Beasont yesterday.
Speaker 4: You see, I'm trying to keep the clients. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with reading reading theson Reade twice. Yeah, sure, Troy, Troy knows that it's Tuesday. And all of our guests today brought to you by our title sponsor. Where would we be without them? If indeed they're still with us after what just happened Auctions Able Auctions dot CA. A. Troy Statter, NHL defenseman, former Cannuck Pride of Richmond ten NHL seasons, spent last season with the Oilers and the Leafs at UFA in the summer. Thirty two years old and seems like I just yesterday you heard about Troy joining the bank of a Kunnucks all those years ago, Troy joins us. Now, Troy, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 3: Their How are you you doing?
Speaker 1: Good? Good?
Speaker 4: Good Troy. Hey, have you been as entertained by the Stanley Cup final as everybody else has? Troy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been great. There has been awesome to watch. It sucks that there's two days in between games, but it was fun. Have a nice basketball game last night. So the playoffs has been good for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in both leagues. Any theories as so you've been around for ten years, but any theories as to why hockey playoff? Hockey seems to be faster, more entertaining, more skillful than ever if indeed you agree with that. Any any theories as to so why.
Speaker 6: Yeah, used by the same team so many times consecutively, which obviously builds kind of that hatred in that competitiveness within the game and within the series, and then just playing for something bigger than yourself, like your goals and aspirations. Our kid win a Stanley Cup and this is the time you get that opportunity to do it. So it's pretty easy for twenty three guys to get on the same page.
Speaker 4: What was it like for you being part of the playoff drive for the Oilers back in back in twenty twenty five life, Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 6: Obviously it was there for two stints and didn't play the first time around. Then last year was there with them. So it still hurts obviously when you don't get the job done. But something that I'll look back on my crew is over and be thankful for. It's still a very cool experience to play, and you know, the championship at the highest level in the world and it's not forgotten.
Speaker 1: I Hey, Troy, you're a UFA and he talks with the Mape beliefs. You know, July first is right around the corner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know how the business works. You kind of leave your agent to that. Obviously, with the first round pick, they're probably pretty focused on the on the draft as well, and we'll see what transpires here.
Speaker 1: What about Vancouver, there's also a positive Canucks. You're looking for character guys, Troy and we had Luke schen on a couple of weeks ago. They're looking to make that dressing him better and guys like you can do that. If the Canucks call, would there be interested.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they'll always be interested, especially with the guys in place now. I have a lot of respect for obviously Hank and Danny Manny too. It was one of my coaches when I was in Vancouver. R J helped recruit me out of North Dakota. So I'm familiar with all of those guys and couldn't have more respect for them. So obviously that'd be an opportunity that would be pretty excited about if it got to that point. But there's a lot, there's a lot that goes on in between here and none absolutely.
Speaker 1: But you know what one thing you got, Troy is uh, you've played in Canadian markets Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton. How much do you love that. I know the media can drive players nuts, and I know some UFAs don't want to go to Canada, but you seem to you seem to like playing in Canadian markets. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I also think it's a little bit different just growing up in Canada kind of understanding that's what comes with it, you know. I guess a kid, I remember sending in my car with my with my parents in the living room just watching Howking Head in Canada's you know, it's it's a culture in Canada. It's a little bit different, not to like single anybody out, but I think for the Americans it's a little bit of a different magnitude for them. I'm sure they're kind of used to those football guys taking all im media attention away, and it's just the way it is. So it's something I've embraced and accepted and I just kind of grew up with it.
Speaker 1: Hey, Troy, you're thirty two now, not a young buck coming out of North Dakota anymore. How tough with all these young kids coming in the league, Guys like you got to work hard in that summer. It's I see a lot of veterans right now in Vancouver working out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a twelve month job now. You really don't get much off time anymore. So the one thing with myself is I proud myself in my work ethic, in my commitment, So it's never been an issue for me. In the off season, we're back at the grind already and getting ready for year eleven. So I guess at the end of the day, it helps having those young bucks kind of push you a little bit harder. But at the same time, you know, when you reach this level of your craft, you don't get their by mistake. You get there through hard work and dedication, So that doesn't change.
Speaker 4: Talking with Troy's statue, let's go back to something you brought up, Troy. You played with Zadines in Vancouver, had Manny Malhultra as an assistant coach during your time with the connection. You mentioned Ryan Johnson recruiting you out of North Dakota. Any question, the Canucks are in good hands.
Speaker 6: No, not at all, just even from Afar watching the whole process, so you're kind of hopeful that would happen.
Speaker 4: Just I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'll kind of change the question a little bit, like Nor Dakota went through your coach and changed last year. And I think at the end of the day, you just want people that care about your program in charge. And I think that's what the Vancouver Canucks have right now, is for men that really deeply care about the organization. So they're in great hands.
Speaker 4: What do you remember about Manny as an assistant coach?
Speaker 6: He was awesome. He was super detailed, could lift more weight than anybody in the weight rooms. Still at that time.
Speaker 7: Ran a really good Pque.
Speaker 6: Kind of had more one on one relation ship with all the players, just being an assistant guy. But you had a lot of respect for many. He's a great man.
Speaker 4: He so other than getting a new deal done, what's on tap for you in the summer, Troy.
Speaker 6: Just back of the grind, getting ready for the next year. Obviously this saw season missing the playoffs. I've had a bit of a downtime here to let the body just kind of recover and catch up on some rest after two long playoff runs. And yeah, just working out, skating, spending time with my family, and that's about it.
Speaker 4: Looking back, Troy, you must be so pleased with what's happened with your career undrafted and you go back to twenty sixteen, you signed with the Cannucks and now you just mentioned you're going into your eleventh season. You must be so pleased with the way things have worked out for you.
Speaker 6: Oh, yes and no.
Speaker 4: You always strive to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you always set goals as an individual player in person, and I feel like I haven't achieved a lot of.
Speaker 4: Them that I wanted to achieve.
Speaker 6: But it's also not awsome me what I've achieved just being a smaller defenseman that wasn't drafted. I'm not very offensive. I've stuck around a long time, so I take a lot of pride in that. But to the outside world might be a surprise, but to myself is what I expected. You know, this is everything I've wanted and everything I've pushed for.
Speaker 4: Well, you're doing way better than Rick and I.
Speaker 1: Ah, big time better. Troy.
Speaker 4: Hey, Troy, what advice though for kids out there?
Speaker 1: I don't know if you did the academy thing back in the day, but nowadays you got these academies, parents spending a lot of money in bantam. What advice do you have for those kids out there trying to make it? It's it's tough. It's a tough racket.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the landscape's definitely changed from when I was coming through the minor hockey ranks. But even when I'm training back home in Vancouver, when I'm when I'm there at the Delta Academy, just kind of rubbing shoulder with the youngers kids. It's it's impressive where they're at. But the biggest thing was just to love it. I think just from Afar, like you kind of worry that these kids are gonna get burnt out at this at this point and how old they are and how old they work. So as long as you love it, there's nothing wrong with working hard, but make sure you're having fun doing it.
Speaker 4: Was it Richmond minor hockey the whole way for you?
Speaker 3: Troy?
Speaker 4: Jogged my memory.
Speaker 6: Here, Yeah, I was rich with minor all the way up until Banham and then I played major midget for the Greater Vancouver Canadians and then I took off to Penticton and started my junior career.
Speaker 4: This has been great, Troy. All the best in the summer with what's ahead with the contract and going into next season. You've always been good to our show. We can't thank you enough.
Speaker 6: Awesome guys, Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You bet.
Speaker 4: Troy Stature again spent last year with the Leafs, enjoyed his time with the Leafs. We'll see what happens to him in the summer. And you'd have to think that, and this is going to be reflected in our Waddling Dog poll question that he might be somebody from a leadership point of view and on ice point of view the Canucks might be interested in.
Speaker 1: That's the type of guy that Canucks need to turn that dressing room road don it's the worst dressing room in the NHL last two years. Guys like him and Shen and Tan of all those guys when they left it hurt. It hurt when guys like it. Good team player Connor McDavid went out of his way to mention how much of a good player a team player that Troy stretch, this stature is there? You go?
Speaker 4: Okay a break and I mentioned the waddling dog a poll question. We'll introduce it next Toni and dell you the team on check. Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway, head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two, four eight eight triple three. Your Island adventure starts here. That's introduced the Dog poll question experience one of Victroya's iconic testinations, The Wattling Dog. Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs will full sound. You don't have to go through fifty three security checks to get into the Wattling Dog. By the way, to watch the World Cup, come sit and stay at the Dog today.
Speaker 1: Rick Ryan, get her up the Watling Dog. Pop pop question. Which player with a Vancouver connection would you like most would you most like to see the Canucks acquire? Brandon Gallagher leading the way here, big big lead sixty percent, followed by Luke Shan at twenty four percent and fifteen sixteen percent Troy Stretcher. All three of these guys would bring team mentality, improve that dressing room, good culture, team players. All these guys something.
Speaker 4: You need for a rebuild.
Speaker 1: Well, something you need for a hockey club who's been a disaster in the dressing room. Why you're rebuilding, Yes, exactly, But Gallagher leading and Donnie I can see why you know obviously, Luke and Troy are getting up there in years. I don't know where they would be fit wise. I I know that as Brandon yeah is Brndan Yeah, but he I think Brendan on the right team could play a little bit higher up in the light up. But anyways, Gallagher is leading the way at sixty percent. Former Vancouver Giant.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And of course with Troy's Stecher and Luke Shen Luke Shan's had two go arounds with the Knucks, They've been here before. Maybe this is why Brendan is is leading this poll that if Knak fans haven't seen him in a Kannuck uniform. And not again, this is nothing against Troy or Luke, but that hustle that Brandon's known for and the other thing that that Brendan Gallagher rings that again. I'm always a fan of players who can wake up building up. In this case, Rogers Arena. Just the thought of him and his size doing what he does best. Among the things he does best, winning a battle in front of the net, scoring a goal versus a behemoth defenseman. You imagine what that would do to that build name. You don't see stuff like that. You want players that you know take the puck to the net, go to the front of the net, the dirty areas. Brandy Gallagher's given his such one of the best there's been the last decade or so. And I'm with the people who and again, nothing else all.
Speaker 1: Three of those guys would improve the connection. But if you got all three, would that be something? Wouldn't that be something?
Speaker 4: You have been watching this telely cup. I know you're watching the NBA.
Speaker 1: FO not I have checked into the NBA Finals. I try what's his name? Sheldon and Surrey ripping me. But this Benson guy on the Knicks, this guy, Bronson Brunson, This guy, I'm telling it. It's not Doyle Brnson. Just stop this Bruntson guy. He's been incredible, Like he is fun to watch, Like I'll tell you this much right now, Donny. I like watching him. And he nailed a three porter three pointer in the fourth quarter last night, got me up out of my seat.
Speaker 4: They lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got me out of my seat.
Speaker 4: But you got out of your seat to change the channel, Like just to tell you that I'm not lying.
Speaker 1: Brunson's dad is an assistant coach with the Knicks. Brunson was drafted in the second round by Dallas. They gave up on him. And I'll tell you, I did my research. Benson, Zach Benson out of Chiliwack Buffalo resigned.
Speaker 4: Of course. Uh. Bruntson's dad played for the Knicks as well in nineteen. I think it's the first time that a father and a son have played in an NBA final. I should ask you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brunson, I like him. I like him.
Speaker 4: Okay, I see Trump get booed.
Speaker 1: Or he got booed. He got booed, he got booed. I saw it him and stephen Na.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to sit here and go politically here, but why why did he go from presidents go to sporting events? Do I know?
Speaker 3: But no, first sitting president since what two thousand or something like that.
Speaker 4: I don't know the stats that ask him, he did the research.
Speaker 3: He's I said this to Quinn yesterday.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 5: If I'm him, awesome, I would absolutely I'd be a master Sunday Game seven of anything.
Speaker 4: I'm there that's you though, and yourself is I mind you?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: Who are we talking about here? But no, it didn't become all of it. They've they canceled the watch parties. Yeah, and security to get in is crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 4: You're not thinking of the people. Give me a call, Donald, we'll talk.
Speaker 3: But you got a chance to go into a game. That was what average ticket price was, like seventy five four.
Speaker 4: Seats were going courtside seats forty grand. Yeah, I'm not sure Larry David and Spike were paying that that much if they got in for free.
Speaker 3: You know they have their I mean Spike's season ticket. Whatever.
Speaker 4: What is the what happens when a celeb well you kind of want at the game because it's just like an endorsement, you know, do they pay that much? Of course they got the money. Of course they talk about you get it free.
Speaker 1: You take these celebrity Well you think Spike Lee doesn't pay to watch exactly yeah, exactly exactly what he pays to get in. You're saying, all these celebrities get in for fred I don't know. I know, I don't know Spike Lee pays. Well, you should know.
Speaker 3: You're a Celebritia.
Speaker 1: When you call it, what do you call it?
Speaker 4: Are you paying? I have to pay double? But the irony there, and what pisses a lot of people off about that situation is that you know, forty grand to sit courtside. I think Larry David has that, of course he does. I'm thinking he gets a good deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not right. By the way, does Larry David wear anything other like, it's the same thing. It's a blue scot coat and like a T shirt and khaki.
Speaker 4: Well has he everything he wears? When he gets interviewed, he talks about how his brain works, you know, twenty four to seven. He doesn't want to be thinking about what to wear. I guess he doesn't need to need to close.
Speaker 1: No, he does not need that, right.
Speaker 4: Do you ever watch kurby your Enthusiasm? Not really?
Speaker 3: I dug the scene with the tripping shack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, when I saw court Side, I had to rewatch it last night.
Speaker 4: That's a long time ago. Oh yeah, because to make up for that, Larry David, this character, he plays himself, but he had to give Shack VHS tapes.
Speaker 1: Yeah something, So it was a it was.
Speaker 4: A long time ago. You have no idea what we're talking about.
Speaker 5: This is from Ramon Raymond Brentson shot eleven for twenty five. Yes, he makes up one of his worst games he made. They were leading at the half, what do you they were? They were up six, they were leading at the half. Did you see Cardi B.
Speaker 4: Cardi B.
Speaker 1: Who's Cardi B?
Speaker 3: The rapper musician?
Speaker 4: I have no idea he was related to Benson.
Speaker 1: No idea who Cardi B is? And I really, she said, years old?
Speaker 4: I know, how would I know who Cardi B is?
Speaker 1: If I don't listen to Cardi B.
Speaker 3: Trust me?
Speaker 4: If you sorry, you know, I don't want your memory.
Speaker 1: No I no Cardigo.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's move on here. Stanley Cup Final Game four tonight in Vegas. We mentioned the Golden Nights up two to one after Saturday's five to four double overtime win. The Night's blowing a four nothing lead in that game and they end up winning. There's been comebacks in all three games, all three games decided by one goal, two of the games going to overtime, one of the games going to double overtime. Just speed and skill on display. And I wanted to get this clip in with John Twitterolla because I thought it was really, really strong. The last time he was in a Stanley Cup final two thousand and four, Tampa Bay, Calgary. Okay, so they went in seven. Remember it was not entertaining. It was like the last whisper, the last breath of the dead puck era before the rules changed. So, you know, a couple of decades later, he's back in a Stanley Cup Final and it has been wonderfully entertaining. Nobody's choking offense in this series all throughout the playoffs the last couple of years, but this year has been exceptional, especially this Cup final, which nobody expected anything from an entertainment point of view from but it's been very solid. But here's towards on how the game has changed since and for good in a good way. Since he coached Tampa versus Calgary in the four Cup final.
Speaker 8: I think that our game has there's so much skill, the speed of it, and I just think it's I think it's a game full of mistakes.
Speaker 1: It is, it's a and it comes with youth. How young the league is.
Speaker 8: Although in this situation is a lot of veteran players in this Cup final, but the league itself, it's gone that way. You can see it during the regular season too, that no lead is safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: It it.
Speaker 8: Comes to coaching too. I think sometimes coaching, how much coaching are you going to do? Sometimes it's a game of mistakes.
Speaker 4: You have to live with some of those, right, And.
Speaker 8: Yeah, to pinpoint and give you an exact answer on where are game's gone to, I can't, but I know in this final during these games here, I have zero answers as far as the lead changes going back and forth. We're trying to play defense, They're trying to play defense. Give the credit to the players as far as some of the plays they've made and just some of the bounces that have gone to each team.
Speaker 4: Game so much better. And I think he's banging on when it comes to the amount of skill in the game now, the amount of speed and youth, and I think it goes back. And we talked to Christetcher just moments ago about academy anatomy, how good players now are versus years gone by. A lot of people have a problem with this, but a lot of players are playing twelve months a year. They're constantly working on their skating. Offense is a big big deal, or the ability to create offense is a big big deal at all at all ages, it seems, and just the skill level is just just so good. And he mentioned mistakes there. You see more mistakes young kids sure, the young kids, but that leads to entertainment. It's one of the reasons why if you ice the puck, you have to keep your players on the ice, right yep. And the reason for that is because it's a punishment. Okay, so there's that, But also those players are tired yep. And I remember Mark Crawford talking about this. Those players on the team that ice to puck or tired, they're more likely to make mistakes. Mistakes lead to offense, which leads to entertainment. And the games games really good. There's a lot there, much better than it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: And when they were out four or nothing the other night, I'm thinking, there's no way, there's no way Carolina ties this. There's no freaking way.
Speaker 4: And yet there's been comebacks in all three two games before.
Speaker 1: That, but for nothing on the road is very tough to do in that building of all buildings. Good on Rod Brandamoor's team, but they don't win.
Speaker 4: It and there, and the rules have changed obviously in five after the after the lockout, that that's a big big deal. And you know, nobody's water skiing on players and getting away with with penalties because the referees don't want to, you know, change the alter the outcome of the of the game, which they were anyway by not making calls. But the other thing to look at, look at some of the great players we see on these two Mitch Martin is not a big guy. Logan Stanko not a not a big guy, and you wouldn't have seen that before. And the game is so much better for it.
Speaker 1: And the Canucks have passed up on that. Stan Covid, they took klemovis your buddy, and you know, just they passed on Hudson, They passed on a lot of small guys, Benson, Cole Caffield.
Speaker 4: Actually they did passed on Benson.
Speaker 1: They took not the guy with the knicks, the Chiloac native who who looks beautiful, great in Buffalo in the playoffs. But the Canucks have passed on a lot of small guys in the last what downey four years. They got to stop doing that. They got to stop because this playoff is proving small guys are playing like giants.
Speaker 4: Now the game, the game is in a really really good place right now. How we do it for time? Okay, some business first, A major BC based television series. Oh Rick is relocating future production to California. Is it the Beverly Hillbillies or The Brady Bunch?
Speaker 1: Brady Bunch, great show. I missed the Brady Bunch. The intro was great.
Speaker 4: Moving to California and has instructed able auctions to sell tens of thousands of set decorations, prop and wardrobe items to the highest bidder. Take a look at that? Can we go back? Go back to the couch, the couch, the diamond, tough leather.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, but that's the party Time. That's the biggest coach I've seen.
Speaker 4: That's not exact dimensions.
Speaker 1: No, no, but seriously, I haven't seen a couch that size in the house, like I not that I know what or else would you see?
Speaker 4: Don?
Speaker 1: Don?
Speaker 4: This is for some odd reason a huge couch.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you know?
Speaker 4: Like I said, party time? Can you imagine? That's that a man cave coach? Oh Everything from amazing designer furniture to weird and unique props must be previewed to be appreciated. Take a look for yourself this Saturday from ten am to four pm at the massive Langley TV Studio For information on this unique auction go to Able Auctions dot seed that's a b l E Auctions dot C A Craig button at the top of the hour, followed by Tyler Zickel of Vancover Canadians again Top of the hour. Up next though Big Rye Twitter Guy, Donnie and Dolly the team on check. Just ahead a big Rye the Twitter guy Bayside Ocean Front Resort in Parksville inbox, this is unsigned, Donnie. If you have season tickets, you don't buy scalp tickets. And I mentioned forty thousand dollars for the court side seats that would be on the secondary market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, there was a there was a law firm, two law firms actually in.
Speaker 5: New York, because the Knicks put up two seats for auction and then the money goes to their foundation, the Knicks Foundation, And so there was a law firm in New York that split the two tickets. And I want to say it was like one hundred grand or something that the two of them paid together. Something damn ravel had it. No, sorry, apologies, there's five hundred grand a seats a million, no million dollar donation to the Knicks Garden of Dreams Foundation that these two law firms ponied up there.
Speaker 3: It is their section VIP.
Speaker 4: So it'll double a saut in the seat.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm guessing the you know, the CEO. Yeah, yeah, probably not the interns. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 4: Anybody wants some tickets here in the office. There you go.
Speaker 5: And look, I gotta say, you know, we had the Bell Center in these playoffs for the NHL, having the Garden and the Nicks involved.
Speaker 4: It's funny how you like, you cheer for a building, but it's square the same thing with the Bell.
Speaker 5: Because it's also it's you see, you know the shots of the crowd and the people that are in that crowd beyond the celebrities, but it's the fans and it's you know, the dad and the sun or.
Speaker 3: The dad and his son.
Speaker 4: But you'll get that another building.
Speaker 5: No, no, but you can really tell like it's a generational thing like my dad's dad, my dad, like you know, the line down like these guys.
Speaker 4: Have comes right the Yeah, yes, not every building is like that, but it's New York and it comes down to one thing, and that's the keyboards. Well they do have the organ Yeah, yes, that's what I'm talking is because there's maybe it just takes me back. I don't know. The Canucks got to get back to that, have a guy playing.
Speaker 5: They got it all figured out. They wanted to be a night class there. Yeah, okay, one of the Canucks get Cardi B.
Speaker 3: So how do you not know Cardi B?
Speaker 4: Who knows Cardi B?
Speaker 1: At everybody? Donny do you know Cardi Yes? I do, okay, but this was her? Whoa, whoa, that's Cardi B.
Speaker 4: This is her. IM going to play the Charles Park I'm not gonna play okay, so this is Charles.
Speaker 1: I've never seen her in my life.
Speaker 4: I heard was Was she in Vancouver recently? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just about yeah, yeah, yeah she was.
Speaker 5: She had penthouse at the pent House the Pacific rim or something for her show here. She did an Instagram video and like the panoramic view of you know, Stanley Park and everything, and she was just blown away.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just told you how much I love Brady Bunch And how am I gonna know go from Brady Bunch to Cardi b Rick.
Speaker 4: I'm a Brady Bunch fance. Who I'm from that generation. I'm older than you. I know, Cardi B. Is You've got young boys listening young man say.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I kind name me a group after two thousand. No, that is true that I have no idea who she is. I have never heard her music.
Speaker 4: Well, this is more of a duo than a group.
Speaker 5: Car anyway, if you can look at Archie, Charles Barkley referred to her instead of Cardi B as Cardi D's Yeah, okay, I guess you can see why.
Speaker 3: Basically, what what do you want me to do?
Speaker 1: I've never seen her in my life living.
Speaker 3: He's studying Jalen Brunson film.
Speaker 4: Apparently, no, Benson, I just mentioned Brady Bunch.
Speaker 1: That's all you need to know. I'm stuck in the agies.
Speaker 4: So when it comes to Cardi B versus Florence Henderson.
Speaker 1: What about Alice and her uh uh, her boyfriend the met guy, the meat guy, and Brady by the clever al Butcher the butcher the butcher? Was it l Sam the Butcher? Sam the Butcher was Alice's boyfriend?
Speaker 3: Who's al the butcher? That's what I want to know?
Speaker 4: Elated to Benson.
Speaker 3: Okay, Stanley Cup Final gets back on the way tonight, Vega.
Speaker 4: It's the most dated reference ever.
Speaker 1: It really is Sam who didn't remember Sam? Sam was great on the show.
Speaker 4: Who doesn't remember Cardi.
Speaker 5: B Game number four Tonight's Stanley Cup Final. This is from sports net Stats. How about this, guys, most combined goals through the first three games of a final in the last ninety years, all time leader thirty North Stars Islanders back in nineteen eighty one, Blackhawks Canadians, twenty seven Flyers Islanders in nineteen eighty twenty six, and now Hurricanes Golden Knights on that list twenty five goals. Just as myself and everybody expected, this has been an entertaining Stanley Cup Final.
Speaker 3: You've been glued to your TV. There's been a ton of offense.
Speaker 5: You're not picking up what I just said there say I said, like myself and everybody, it's been a very exciting Stanley Cup Final, as I predicted.
Speaker 3: Remember I said this was going to be very exciting. No, you, like a lot of other people, were down.
Speaker 4: We're very upset that these two teams to the Stanley Cup fund. But that's part of the entertainment here. I think it's it's been extremely shocking. The shock, the shock value, the surprise is added to it because why did I didn't expect this. It's really really good. Those are three pretty good finals, by the way. Yeah, yeah, the ones other than this year. I remember north Star's Islanders north Stars. That was eighty one eighty one, so they upset the Habs to get there. It was a big It was a big deal because the Habs had won four straight. I believe I've got that right.
Speaker 1: And in seventy three, Jacques Lameira scored overtime to win it. It was in Chicago, and I remember that. So it's sadly, Donnie and I remember eighty one, seventy three and the eighties. I'm not sure if that was Jacques double Jack double Jack, but I'm pretty sure Jacqueslamera scored.
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 1: It was as Sam the Butcher scored the overtime goal.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so you know what I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of over Shard, Remember him scoring two goals the Hawks had it won and then he scored two leg goals for them to win. Now I was I was thinking more rmb Shard than I think it was Jacquela. And I want to say nineteen seventy one was the year that I'm thinking of anyway, But.
Speaker 5: No, this has been a completely different final than research this I know, and look at there's even people like pundits in the game, like I heard Ray Ferrara was on Dan Patrick yesterday and Ray said he didn't see this with the goals. He thought he was He thought every game is gonna be two one, which I think a lot of people did. Look at towards that clip we just played, he said it like both teams are trying to play defense.
Speaker 3: I don't necessarily.
Speaker 5: I don't think either goaltender has been great, but they also haven't been awful. Like, it's just bizarre the way these games have exploded with offense and these comebacks and everything going on.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. The other stat how about this, guys, this is involving This is from Johnny Lazarus. Okay, from a Daily Faceoff.
Speaker 4: I got that wrong about the Deity one Final, by the way, but go ahead.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Johnny Lazarus Daily Faceoff. Jordan Stall could become the first player with a four game goal streak to open a Stanley Cup finals since Mike Bossy did it in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 4: You know where he's going. Go ahead, Snaps, Harol Snaps always with Harold Snaps.
Speaker 1: Had the pocket was five to five and overtime and just coughs it up to Mike Bossy bang bang back of the net behind Richard Burder as a kid, demoralized as a kid, took a long time to get over. Still not over it, clearly, I still have not Harold about it. I have not forgiven Harold snaps and I know I'm gonna get text but or because I was.
Speaker 4: Five five don in overtime and it coughed it out how over time works. But Harold to this day feels awful about that. Yeah, apparently the word is he went. You had to go for a long walk on the beach, and in the day is often really to get it and get it out of it. In my mind Harold was sorry. If I'm getting the story run and he feels bad about it, you bring it up every time, Little You're like babcock.
Speaker 1: No, Little Rickie was fourteen and in tears and crying, and that Bossy bang bang back of the net, best left winger in the history hockey, last guy right and the world, the right winger, last guy in the world on fire, This last guy in the world. You want to give the puck to it overtime like that is Mike Bostling.
Speaker 4: I think Mike bom Bless him by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was the best nine fifty goals seasons.
Speaker 3: I think he's under talked about he because it was so quick.
Speaker 4: But Rick Rick just mentioned the stat I can't believe he got it right. But he started his career with nine to fifty.
Speaker 1: It's nice.
Speaker 4: The shot high glove, Oh my gosh, so good.
Speaker 1: The puck would be on his stick and it would be off his stick, bang, bang, back of the net. Anyways, Number twenty two, number twenty two, Just a great, great, great, great player.
Speaker 3: Up next big eleven o'clock hour.
Speaker 5: Tyler Zicko from the Vancouver Canadians going to join you guys around eleven.
Speaker 3: Fifteen or so.
Speaker 5: Craig Button, TSN's director of scouting his next Sonny Doll the team I check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Donnie Doney and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about at your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 4: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot CA. All right to see if I can get this right this time. All of our guests today on this Tuesday, including Craig Button, standing by, brought to you by our title sponsor Able Auctions, Ableauctions dot c A. Here he is. TSN Scotting Director attended the NHL Scouting Combine in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Craig Button, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 7: I'm really good. Nice to see rip backed in the chair hopefully feeling better, no worse for the wear.
Speaker 1: Gut it out, gut it out, Craig.
Speaker 7: Listen. Yeah, if you're not anything else, you're tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tough. Though we both had a tough we both missed a when I missed time.
Speaker 4: It's going around in Vancouver World Cup feed.
Speaker 7: Maybe that's okay.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. Hey, what did you What did you learn? I saw some of your clips from TSAM, But what did you learn about Gavin McKenna that maybe you didn't know in Buffalo?
Speaker 7: I would say nothing. I mean I know Gavin pretty well. I mean I haven't visited white Horse to visit the family, so I can't speak to that. Willie Cristal and you know meant them in the past.
Speaker 1: I said this.
Speaker 7: About Gavin, and I think that and he talked about this, and maybe what I did learn is Gavin's openness to discussing his journey this past year and some of the ups and some of the downs and on how forthcoming he was. And I talked about the maturity and the growth that he showed on the ice, and I was massively impressed by that, you know, understanding who he was playing with, what level, what the level competition was, about, how we dug in, how we dealt with some of the different challenges that he was confronted with, and I think that his honesty, his his I guess this recognition that, hey, it's not a straight upward trajectory at times and trying to navigate through some of those. He talked about not having a lot of confidence at different times and building that and everything that he that he talked about this past year, and he wasn't afraid of the challenge. But one of the things that he learned from the challenges and his honesty and talking about what they were and how they helped them really significant.
Speaker 4: So maybe you knew this, but I didn't know this, But you talked about his tattoo and his time spent hunting north of white Horse, if that's possible with his grandfather.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so yeah, that's something I'd read the and I'd read the article on NHL dot com, so I know he had outlined it before. But again, like those parts of his life that are really significant in for any of us when we think about parents, grandparents, you know, support group, you know, family and friends around it. And and also so where you're from four hours north of white Horse hunting moose and they'll have to go to Algonquin Park in Ontario if he's drafted by the Leafs to hunt moose, because there's no moose in downtown Toronto and they're not close to downtown Toronto. But again, it's the time you spend with your loved ones in those moments that there's no spotlight on those like there are when you're a hockey player or an athlete or anything that's in the public eye, and those moments are always special. And when you're a young player being our young person and somebody's showing you the way of their life and bringing you into that way of life, I mean, those are things you just never forget Craig.
Speaker 1: How do you think Caleb Mahultra did in Buffalo? A lot of attention on him in Vancouver. There's a really good possibility they might take him. How did you think he did in an interviews with the media teams all that. What do you hear about him in Buffalo?
Speaker 7: You know, my first inclination is to make a little joke and say he did terrible, but that's not fair. Then somebody will pick up that. Oh, they'll pick up that little thing. Listen, Caleb's very mature. He's he's been in the public spotlight since the day he was born. And not him specifically, but you know, growing up in the family that he grew up with, his with his father, certainly his uncle was in the public spotlight. And and Caleb, Caleb's comfortable in the spotlight. He's comfortable speaking about his experiences. And when you watch him on the ice, you know, like what a terrific player he is. I don't think there's any question. Uh, when you when you hear him talk and hear him interact with the media and with others, I mean, it's it's really impressive. It's no question that you're looking at a not not just a top end player, but a top end person. And you know, Ryan Johnson and the Citenes and have talked about, you know, what it means to be a Vancouver Canuck and what it means to give back to the community and be be a good representative of the community. I mean, if you're talking about checking boxes outside of the hockey plan, Caleb checks them.
Speaker 1: Hey, Craig, we know the eye test. All these teams have seen the players all season long, multiple views. What's the biggest thing they take away from the combine?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean all the CEE you get fifteen to twenty minutes with each of the players, and I guess there's some face time, which is always nice. I mean, the players are so well prepared. I heard this from a number of the players. They go, you know, they get asked what kind of questions you get asked? And they laugh about some of them, but they all understand the process. Some of the questions are to try to get you off balanced, some of them try to get you to think and whatnot, But all in all, it's face time. I look at the testing as a benchmark exercise where these players are at seventeen eighteen years old, so you start.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 7: Most of them, the vast majority of them are not close to the NHL. So you start with the benchmarking. Here's where they're at today, what do we have to work with? You know, I've said this before. I think the medical testing that they go through is really really important. You never know what maybe hiding. And I've mentioned David carl who's the head coach of the Denver Pioneers hockey team and at the University of Denver. You know, they found a heart problem and he had to end his playing career. So I think that that's really important. And the benchmarking, I mean, I don't care how many whole lots of guy does or how many jumps he does or hide. You know, it's okay, here's where he's at. You know, what do we have to do to get him to be the best he can be with his skill set and with the attributes that he possesses. And I think that's that's the bench marking that I look at it as. The medical is really important. And hey, getting the players comfortable in front of the media, getting talking about their experiences, going through those meetings, even if they're just short by nature. I mean a number of the players going for dinner with the teams. You know, we know that, but I think that that really helps the players because they're going to be asked lots of questions over the course of their careers, and I think getting them comfortable thinking on their feet, thinking in front of people, they're asking questions you might not be expecting. I think that's a good exercise for the young players to go through.
Speaker 1: How surprised were you when you heard Mike Babcock and Edmonton yesterday, Craig.
Speaker 7: I would say, mildly surprised, like because you know, Mike's talked about not coaching, being retired and whatnot. But you knows as you stop and think about it, and I do think. I mean, Mike, Mike's resume as a coach is simply outstanding. And you know, it's not a criticism of any coach it's not working currently, but there's no coach not currently working that's better qualified than Mike.
Speaker 1: God talk.
Speaker 7: And so when I look at it and think about, you know the fact that the Edmonton Orders have reached out to the NHLPA and trying to understand what a path would look like for him. Keep in mind Mike Mike hasn't done anything illegal. He's done some things that you know that uh, you know, weren't received very well, to say it mildly. But if you acknowledge the mistakes of your past and you move forward and you make sure you're not going to repeat them, you're looking at a top notch coach. And for the Edmonton Oilers, that's what they're looking for. Somebody that's won, somebody that's got a lot of experience. I think Chris Nablock did a wonderful job. And you know, that's for another conversation. When I talked about my feelings about Holly was treated there, but I think that that's that's water under the bridge now. But Mike god talks top notch coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all sorts of coaching news and issues right now your levolette with the A La Kings. But I want to ask you this, Craig, when it comes to Toronto, and this name has been thrown up there, why the interest in Joe Pavelski, who retired as a player what a couple of years ago and has been coaching minor hockey. Why the interest in him as a head coach.
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's the Marty Saint Louis. Fact, I do believe that that that that plays a part in this. I guess when you're going to cast a wide net, you want to cast a wide net. You want to consider different people that you know might fit into your organization. And I certainly you know, I love Joe Pazowski as a player. He was always a smart, thinking player. I mean again, I'm a believer in that if you want to go down this path with Joe Pavowski, two things must be true. At the same time, you better be really patient as he learns how to coach, because he's still in he's still in the infancy stages of coaching. Marty Saint Louis had a lot more coaching experience even at the levels he was at that Joe Podowski's at. So and you better be ready to be number one patient and you better be ready to support him with some real significant experience. That's what I think.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: One of the things that you know, My colleague get tsn Brian Hayes said, Oh, I love it that they're thinking out of the box. Out of the box doesn't mean smart. So let's just be clear here, Okay, So if you understand, and Joe gets to express himself and what he would do and how he feels he can have the job, and then you feel you're going to be and support him. Well, then that's the right thing. Just this like this is vague, all out of the box thinking. Trust me, it's not. Uh, it's not something that I buy into. I need specifics. I don't need any of this. Oh it's great because it's out of the box thinking. Some out of the box thinking is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Well, you sound like an old man there, and you're you're on the right show.
Speaker 7: Happy to be an old one, because you know what it's it's about having an experience about no one. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm saying, you're on the right show, Craig. It's yeah, perfect for our show. And very quickly, Brandon Bussy or Freddy Anderson tonight. I don't even know if if they've made a choice yet, Carolina.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know either. I would I would choose Brandon Bussey for these two reasons. Number one is that Freddie Anderson looks like he's slipping a little bit. He looks like his game has slit. Twelve goals against and it's not just the goals against, it's it's the way he's looking. He's not He's not looking at Sharper as as on his game and number two. It forces the Vegas gold Knights into a different look. You know, they don't have the they've had lots of confidence scoring on Freddie Anderson. Give him a different look. And Brandon Bussey played very well in his relief appearance in game three. That's why I would start Brandon Bussy in game four.
Speaker 4: You may be old in years, but look at you, you look like a young buck. Craig. We can't thank you enough.
Speaker 7: My dear aunt Rita died at ninety five. My grandmother's sister, My grandmother died at one hundred. My dear Auntie Rita took up belly dancing at ninety whoa what she always told us when we were kids. He goes, I know a lot of young people that are old, and I know a lot of old people that are young. She says, never stop being young.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, we're gonna get you to belly dance on this show, all right, no honor event, aunt Rita.
Speaker 1: Thanks for this, Craig.
Speaker 4: Thanks our thanks to Craig Button and Yeah, we haven't heard anything yet from Brenda. More have we about to Noranda?
Speaker 1: Not yet yet?
Speaker 4: Game four tonight, Stanley Cup Final our thanks to Craig Tyler. Is it looka the uh Tyler? Look at now? He made me say this right? Tyler Zikel voice to the Vancouver Canadians. They're starting a series against Everett Tonight's six game series. Out at that Billy, He's going to join us next. Donny Dolly the team.
Speaker 1: I check.
Speaker 4: Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 2: The team is supported by able Auctions dot CA. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets.
Speaker 1: In a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions can help. For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able auctions dot ca. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Tuesday of our guests, including Tyler Zickel, voice of the Vanker of Canadians standing by, Brought to you by our title sponsor as Abelauctions Dot c A. You've got me so mixed up with Tyler's last name. You know what, I'm confusing him with former Florida panther Lance Pittlock for some some reason. I hope he's not insulted. Hope he's still here. Tyler Zickel Johnny his voice of the Vankuver Canadians. You can hear him on Sports That's six fifty sees open a six game homestand versus Everett Tonight Nat Bailey Stadium Tonight, Rick seventy five, sant Hotdog Night and Addison Barger Bobblehead Giveaway Night and Tyler joins us. Now, thanks for doing this, sir? How are Yeah? But you've never heard of Lance Pittlock.
Speaker 10: No, you know what, Please excuse my American ignorance. I am not on game for Lance Pittlock. And that's the first for me, because you know Zikell and pickle that rhymes that's the very.
Speaker 1: Of my youth.
Speaker 11: But I'll take pitt Lick.
Speaker 4: Sure. Hey, hey, listen, he's actually America. So you got to do some more research on Lance Todder. What do you remember of what Adison Barger's saiding and now with the Blue Jays, and I know he's had some injury issues his time with the vankor of Canadians.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, first of all, fella, it's always a pleasure to be with you.
Speaker 10: I think this is the second time I've joined you from a vehicle, though this time I'm in Vancouver in our Canadians cruiser were at the Ronald McDonald house doing a player appearance, so I stepped away to hang out with you fellows for a bit.
Speaker 11: But talk about Addison Barger. Not only were his biceps pretty.
Speaker 10: Big when he was a Canadian in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two, but you could tell there are just guys I've seen in my six seasons with the Canadians and twelve seasons in minor league baseball, you can just tell they have the it factor, a certain or a certain presence on the field. Barger had that in spades. We got him for a week that first season of the higay Era where we played south through the border for the entire year, and then he rejoined us to start twenty twenty two. And you guys know, and many of your listeners and viewers know that big right field wall at the nat No match for Addison, Barger power played a great shortstop when he was in the minor leagues. Of course, he is an outfielder now with that cannon of an arm. So we saw in Vancouver lots of the things Blue Jays are appreciating about Addison now, the big bat, the big arm, and a guy who just finds ways to impact the game. Of course, the best ability is availability, and he's not been too available this year. But as soon as Barger is back to full health, along with Kirk and some other guys, I think this Blue Jays team is only going to get better and better.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we focused on Americans here, including lent Lens Peddlic. Let's talk about a Canadian for a second. What can you tell us about twenty one year old Sam Shaw, outfielder from Vancouver Island. I understand he's back from the injured list for the season.
Speaker 10: Yes, Sam backed with us, back healthy after a pretty big health scare last year. We sat down for our Sunday show in Sports at six fifty SE's on deck to have a conversation and Sam took me through the whole process and essentially he was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, which we often hear for pitchers being a problem, and his nerves were pinched in such a way that blood clots were being pumped out into his so our trainer last year, Katie Rayis, she caught it. Other you know, folks couldn't quite figure out why he was having numbness in his arm, why he wasn't able to perform at his usual levels, so they caught it. He had some surgery, he rehabbed both here in Vancouver, over on the Island and down in Florida of course where the player Development complex is.
Speaker 11: And so to get him back is a big boost for us, not just on the field but off.
Speaker 10: We haven't had any Canadians play for the Canadians this year except for quebec Qua Matt Belay, which was only he was only on the team for two games to start the year before he got hurt. So nice to have an Islander on our roster right now. But Sam immediately making an impact in centerfield on Sunday. He's a guy who's not having much power, but somebody who can spray the ball all over the field make an impact with his wheels on the bases and plays a good center field as well. So looking forward to getting him back in full strength and also in front of the home crowd tonight.
Speaker 4: Guess what tyder?
Speaker 1: How great the Nolan Perry named the Northwest League Pitcher of the month for me after five starts.
Speaker 10: Nolan Perry came out of nowhere, and certainly for me, guys, I try and stay with my ear to the ground across the entire Blue Jays organization, but even I was.
Speaker 11: Late to the Nolan Perry party.
Speaker 10: He was dealing in Florida State League action for the single added in Blue Jays. He was pitcher of the week down in the FSL for one of his great starts. In April, joined us and immediately hit the ground running. At one point had eighteen consecutive scoreless innings. He made five starts in the month of May twenty five innings, had forty strikeouts in those twenty five frames and an ERA of one point zero eight. A guy who just puts up double digit strikeouts with these And the thing that's been most impressive for me about Nolan, who's now the number sixteen Blue Jays prospect to quit an MLB pipeline.
Speaker 11: He just stays so level, so steady.
Speaker 10: He's also been great with the media, so perhaps we can get him on this show at some point before the year is out. But I always appreciate guys who not only are great players, but great people. And after a month of having Nolan on the roster, I can say he's both.
Speaker 11: He's a guy.
Speaker 10: You give him the ball, you know you're gonna get five strong innings, maybe six innings, like he did the other day in Pasco, Washington.
Speaker 11: So for me, Nolan Perry is very much a name the.
Speaker 10: Blue Jays face need to know for the next season or two and could be pitching in the Blue Jays jersey before sooner rather than later.
Speaker 4: That is Argin and Nemala. And we spent a lot of time last time, last couple of times you were here talking about him. A high draft pick for the Blue Jays. Do you understand why he's been promoted to double a ball, I believe, Toddler.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so the Blue Jays of course sent him last year as one of the top Blue Jays prospects. In fact, he was number one until Trey Savage's meteoric rise had him jump over Argent in the rankings, and now Trey has just lost his prospect status since he's now.
Speaker 11: Reached that minimum endings in the big leagues.
Speaker 10: So Argin right now the number two Blue Jays prospect behind Jojo Parker, and they sent him back to US this year just to be able to challenge.
Speaker 11: Him in a different way.
Speaker 10: They had always challenged him in years prior by sending him to higher levels. He was always the youngest player in the league, like he was for US last year, but now this year he had an opportunity not just to play so well on the field with his own individual talents, but to rise into the role of a clubhouse leader, which he did so well for the six weeks he was here in twenty twenty six. He also was able to make an impact on the bases and continue to play aggressive defense. The one thing they were looking for him just consistent approach and consistent recovery after every game, and those things he checked all those boxes. I talked to Blue Jay's director who played development, Joe Slaffani, when he was at the NAT two weeks ago, and Joe had nothing but high praises for argins work in Vancouver. He earned that promotion to double A and it was off to a great start in the Eastern League with batting north of three hundred. Had a bit of a leg issue trying to leg out an infield hit a couple of weeks ago, so he's currently down on the injured list, but they're going to get him back healthy and that fisher Cats team is the best team in the organization right now in terms of wins losses, so they're looking to get him back asap.
Speaker 4: The new Hampshire fisher Cats. Lance Pittlick's a big fan of the Ah yeah, seventy five cent hot dog night and that Bailly Tyler enjoy it.
Speaker 10: Always a pleasure, fellows. Hey, we'll keep a couple of hot dogs warm for you, and it's not the seventy five cent dogs we know. We'll get you guys out for a yard dog. Maybe you guys can lady in the trumpet. You know that Disney movie where they had the spaghetti piece and you guys eat from either end, and maybe we.
Speaker 1: Have a nice pea.
Speaker 4: We'll get Ryan and Rick to do that, no problem, Tyler, thanks for this, buddy, Yeah boy, he's uh a wealth of information. Tyler Zickeel loving Vancouver Canadians. I don't know if you've heard his broadcast, but they're absolutely tremendous. We mentioned Addison Barger, Bobblehead Night, seventy five cent hot Dog Night at the Night tomorrow. They've got the fireworks sitting at Bailey Sees versus Everett. You've got some business.
Speaker 1: Absolutely look at this. Uh, the world is coming to Vancouver in pastime sports and games is covered when it's got you covered when it Ryan new Coffee did not tell me, just threw it right in there. Anyways, let's start all over it. Brian rescrewed this up. By the way, the world is coming to Vancouver and pastime sports and game you covered when it comes to jerseys, scarves, other collectible celebrating the beautiful game. Never been a bigger time to show up if your team Colors led by Canada as the host country. Look at this. For more influenced store location, visit Pastime Sports DOTSI a laptop. Unbelievable.
Speaker 5: I knew he was gonna bead z. Yeah, not even ahead. Okay, so I saw Ken yesterday. I got a whole bunch of world cap for pastime. Yeah, great guy, got a whole.
Speaker 12: Bunch of World Cup goodies, so you'll see them on the desk in the next little bit. These on the right, Okay, these are these Panini stickers, World Cup stickers, packs of stickers. Okay, Panini America is the brand. These are the hottest World Cup item at the moment.
Speaker 5: You buy a collectible album, then you buy the packs and you put the stickers in the album. Yes, but they they pastimes having a hard type keeping stock. Yeah, yes, like back in the day. So pastimes having a hard time keeping them in stock. But they're getting restocks all the time. Christiano Ronaldo is the card in the middle Portugal. Maybe here in Vancouver in the round of sixteen.
Speaker 4: Maybe against Canada.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe Card of the day Dan Ever sent of course the way, there's the way, there's the Hurricanes former way, there's a back in action tonight it gets the cool to Knights and friend of the Show Dean Nevison at the.
Speaker 1: Car absolutely former bank for Giants head coach.
Speaker 4: There you go. Okay, a break to TMZ next, Tony Delay the team on Jack.
Speaker 1: Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays, The award winning waddling Dog, has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry, their rooms lend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty tabs, Waldwall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sentence Day. It's eleven thirty one on a Tuesday morning, Donnie and Dolly on check TV. Now time for DTMC brought to you by the world famous Wister Golf Club. Go see Big l out there a great track. Great track.
Speaker 4: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design Whist the golf club inviting golfers to stay up to date with Phase two of their golf course renovation on Instagram at Whistle Golf and just a reminder, the golf shop and driving range will remain open this summer. You can say hi to big l up there. So oftentimes when we show the Whistler Golf Club visuals, what do we often see.
Speaker 1: Great work by the people figure.
Speaker 4: We often see wildlife. We see bears, oh, bears all the time. So a lot of people in our bayside remember we talked about this in the Bayside Bears. There you go the Bayside inbox. They want to know, I guess did Quinn talk about bears story? It ripped you With our family, I don't know how he could rip me. My car was parked in our driveway and this has happened. We live in bear country where we live way out and deepest, darkest an more. And as it happens, usually two or three times you had a bear break into my car. Oh yeah, but two nights ago. But the reason for him likely getting into your car was because we've golfed. My me and my two boys reading Quinn golfed on Sunday at Golden Eagle. Apologize to a Whistler, but they're not open. So we went to Golden Eagle and on the way back we didn't eat at all. So they convinced me to go to Popeye's and five guys chicken. Yeah, yeah, and so there was some remnants left over and that where there were no remnants left over, but I think the set was still in the in the dr Yeah, it wouldn't.
Speaker 3: It could be a.
Speaker 4: Pickle that I had a year ago and the bear would you know, sniff it somehow and you know, and and going something. But they opened the door, and they did they rummage about. There was this I had this box, I don't know what, there's some tools in it. And he took the or she took the box and this plastic box container and moved it to the front seat. Looked around like it's unbelievable, right, shirt all over the place.
Speaker 5: But did you end up ripping into Quinn and read? Because Quinn said yesterday he was gonna get ripped, you.
Speaker 4: Know, he just thought. He just assumed that I would be in a bad mood because of it. But I didn't notice until I was driving that can you smell? And it's like, what's going on? She's okay, there was a bear in my car, not the first time. I'm cool.
Speaker 3: I'm Calm's surprising.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, absolutely it was not their fault. No, I would still blame them years past but but yeah, and so I guess read. My older boy woke up in the morning he saw my cars car doors open and it was a bear.
Speaker 1: Scary stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is. It is a bit, but it's kind of also cool. And of the thing is that we saw the guy you think laid back home by the animal Village hall. There was a bear rummaging around and like, I'm not cuting. Then sure enough he paid a visit to my car a few hours later.
Speaker 1: But these kids don't take their junk out of cars. I got the same thing problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they leave their Starbucks fries.
Speaker 1: They just think of the where there to clean their cars. It's actually my car, but they their car that they're junk.
Speaker 4: They never clean it up.
Speaker 3: You you you rip into your kids?
Speaker 1: I rip it, really rip into a star Bos this stap, you know what. I I go ballistic on them. You know, I'm not a maid to clean that. They want me to clean the car cars and rooms to rooms. Their rooms are a mess.
Speaker 4: Although you'll see Quinn.
Speaker 3: Has really a point that it's hard to dispute what it.
Speaker 4: Is because he does he talk about my car. No, No, he didn't know.
Speaker 13: No, his clothes in his drawer he doesn't fall. He doesn't ask him about He says, folding's over right, Quinn Beleeze. Folding is overrated because you're taking it out anyway.
Speaker 4: It's kind of It's not a bad point. But I just I'm I'm from the school of doesn't it just make you feel yes, I that way, vacuum your room. It doesn't make you feel good. No, just shove that, you know, close in there if he bothers putting him into the drawing. There the other boys the same birthdays.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get going.
Speaker 4: What is it today?
Speaker 1: Ninth birthday is brought to you by Donnie and Dalli's Backscratchers and Dental Flossiporium and ball Zach Alberta.
Speaker 4: All right, here we go.
Speaker 1: This Canuck's draft pick in twenty seventeen, drafted by Windsor in the OHL Draft Round two, name to the Ohl All Rookie Team, helped the Spitfires win the Memorial Cup. Named the Memorial Cup All Star Team played for Canada at the twenty nineteen World Juniors. Right here, right here at the Coliseum. Conduck draft pick Yep. He would sign with the Cannuction in twenty eighteen, but only would play two games in Vancouver before he got traded to Boston. Mikey Di Pietro. Mikey d Pietro, Remember, by the way, it has been the American Hockey League MVP in the last two years, MVPR Playoff MVP, and he is this close to breaking through. He just needs a chance to well.
Speaker 4: You know what, that's a great story, Rick, because it is.
Speaker 9: It is.
Speaker 4: First of all, very nice guy. I think he's been in our show. Yeah, And do you remember his NHL debut against Sat seven to lost. They threw him in there. He wasn't ready and the Sharks admitted afterwards Joe Thurpy felt happy that they felt bad they took it easy on him. I always felt, you know, you know, I was on his side after.
Speaker 1: That undersized goaltender. That's a problem he's got. But boil boys, he killing it at the American Hockey League level.
Speaker 4: Good, all right?
Speaker 1: This guy a fifth round picking the Florida Panthers in twenty ten. The twenty eleven Canadian Junior Hockey League Player of the Year would go off to University of Michigan. Finalist the Hoby Baker, who would never play for the Panthers, ended up in Toronto twenty sixteen, played the line with fellow rookies Austin Matthews and William Nelander. Named as an alternate captain for the may Ple Lafe. Prior to the twenty twenty season, may beliefs in a cap Crunch signed in Edmonton. Canucks were in on that, but the Canucks didn't have the money, Zam Zach Hymen. The Canucks had no money, but kept telling Zack Hyman's agent wearing it were in it, were in it. Nothing. Yeah, they were to the end, right to the end, all right. This actor has won five Emmy Awards and four Golden Globes. Starting Casualties of War in nineteen eighty nine alongside Sean Penn. Start in doc Hollywood Well.
Speaker 4: With Michael j. Jocks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was in hard Way, was what he was in? Hard Way? No, just let me rephrase that. The hard Way, a movie in nineteen ninety nine, Hard Way. Listen this movie Hardway. It was the other actor was James Woods, so.
Speaker 3: It was no, It's not stop it.
Speaker 1: The movie was called The hard Way and one of the actors was James Woods. Makes sense, So James Woods was in hard Way. Anyways. The fact You made me say that three times is ridiculous. He voiced the American bulldog chants in Disney's Homeward Bound All Right. At the twenty ten Winter Olympics closing ceremony Vancouver, delivered a comedy monologue with William Shatner and Catherine O'Hara's Canadian He's Canadian his breakout TV show Family Ties.
Speaker 4: Well, Michael G. Fox, you didn't say Michael J.
Speaker 1: Fox. You said when I said doc, I said no, no, and I said no, he's right, I said with with Michael. But you didn't say it was Michael who was a leg and you got the dinner party, yeah story, oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Which is reference in the book that just came up by Michael J.
Speaker 1: And it's incredible.
Speaker 4: But you didn't blame me about it. Michael Christmas dinner Fox.
Speaker 1: So he wrote that he had dinner with done.
Speaker 5: He just he put a book out recently that was just about the time of his life when he was doing Back to the Future and he talked about being at home for Christmas dinner.
Speaker 4: Mentioned it.
Speaker 3: He talking about, you know, he's got this project and blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Didn't mention it. I know that story and who doesn't There's a lot of layers to that story.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't love Michael J.
Speaker 9: Fox?
Speaker 4: We all do?
Speaker 3: Is that Apple TV documentary that came very good, very very powerful?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, and Family Ties. That's when he took off, you know, that's when he took off.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: This actor has been nominated, said Michael JS.
Speaker 4: It should have been.
Speaker 1: I know, I made your work for it. This actor's been nominated for three Academy Awards, People sec. He was named People Sexist Man Alive twice two thousand and three, two thousand and nine. Nicholas Cage got him into acting his film debut, Nightmare on Elm Streep and The Nightmare on Elm Streep in the first one in nineteen eighty four Nightmare on Elm Street. He appeared in Oliver Stones. Oh was this a good movie? Platoon nineteen eighty six. Oh, that's a movie I've seen ten times. He was in the movie Private Resort. He started in Uh dead Man, a Western shot entirely in black and white.
Speaker 3: Kevin Big was Kevin Bacon Ken here you Kevin Bacon.
Speaker 1: No wrong. He was in the thriller Secret Window with Stephen A. King. No Stephen King, You've had a great show man.
Speaker 4: Lance Pittlick was in it. How was that cold coming?
Speaker 1: It's great? Just about there made a brief cameo and Adam Sandler's Jack and Jail. Remember Jack and Jail went up there hands.
Speaker 4: He played both Jack and Jill, but he was.
Speaker 1: Known as Jack Sparrow Johnny Depp.
Speaker 4: It took you twenty minutes to get there.
Speaker 1: If I if I say Jack Sparrow, right, go go go, that's it. We're done.
Speaker 3: Did you mention twenty one Jump Street.
Speaker 1: That's in Vancouver, That's where he started. He didn't mention it because if I did that, you guys would know part of what we want to do the show at news Hey, twenty one Jump Street was in Vancouver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and some of these he wrecked the hotel room didn't here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, some of the scenes were at NWSS New Westminster Secondary School. I'm just gonna tak I should have had that as a clue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're good. Yeah, okay, so this is I just want to set this up by saying, Ryan stole my hard work. Yes yesterday, and you did Tom Jones as our playoffs song for DTMC. And she's a lady, and we're gonna do it again. Because Jones is a legend. There's nothing wrong with doing it two days in a row. He turned at two shows in a row, Turn eighty six on Sunday, Tom Jones, and he's going to play us out March sixty five in the album Along Came Jones. This is Tom Jones, And it's not unusual on check setting the alarm and waking up when music was at its best on a BC Tuesday morning.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Next us?
Speaker 3: You want to.
Speaker 4: It's not unus?
Speaker 1: You want to have fun?
Speaker 4: Anyone three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two five two three two today. All right, Rick, you're ready with you?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: He's brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and garden equipment for free. Ope IC operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled, not just recycled, but recycled responsibly. Visit Opeic dot ca a to get more info.
Speaker 3: That's oh, p e, I see dot ca A.
Speaker 4: Rick?
Speaker 1: Is it just me? What do you got? All right? Donny?
Speaker 3: I want to get this in.
Speaker 1: The New Westminster City Council voted four to three in favor of a statue for Punch McLean or a very good friend. They will now send a formal letter to the Director of Parks and Recreation in New Westminster. So the Punch Legacy dot com website still needs your support more than ever. So Ernie Punch McLean, they're working on it, trying to get a statue for him at Queens Park. Let's do it, great, guy, Ernie Punch.
Speaker 4: Did you say what the vote was? Sorry?
Speaker 1: Four to three in favor voting against the Who Newestminster is crazy enough to vote against that? It's a statue of a legend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I don't get that at all. Perry and Vancouver. Is it just me or if? One of the big problems with the Canucks. Is the dressing room currently on the two currently on the team would Rick like to see gone because they're bad for the dressing room? Or there's that element gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A good chunk of that element's gone. I mean, think about it. The guys that wanted out are all out. You don't want guys in your dressing room that want out. They're all gone?
Speaker 4: Is it just me from Dwight?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: But very cool? Playing Tom Jones two days in a row. One of the greatest voices of all time. My favorite Welsh person, and again that's from Dwight. Tom Jones. I believe Elvis was jealous of his voice. Or you're a fan of Tom jones Jones voice, right, he doesn't he shook us hips to Rick?
Speaker 1: Oh I know, I know he was great in Vegas. Oh absolutely, you're banging on, Donny. Here's one for you. Don You're right, don Take the best player available in the draft and you can use them later for trading for position of a player that's white Rock Troy.
Speaker 4: Take the best player.
Speaker 1: I see a lot of negativity towards Caleb Mahultra. I really do, well.
Speaker 4: The only reason you're taking him is because he's a center. People have a problem with that, but.
Speaker 1: They do have him highly ranked, I believe, second on their board. So I mean it's not like he's ranked tenth overall. He's ranked pretty high by him. They do like him a lot.
Speaker 4: Be the best of both worlds. Your highest ranked player on your list, I'm talking about the Knacks list happens to be a center in Caleb Maultra. Maybe that'll that'll be the case. But if Stenberger McKenna are there, which I'm not so sure as likely, man big decision. Jeeves from Surrey.
Speaker 1: Is he just me?
Speaker 4: But I'm not surprised. Rick doesn't remember Cardi B but remembers Kodak Black.
Speaker 1: God Kodak Black. There was a video of him at at There's.
Speaker 4: Videos of I too.
Speaker 1: Before Kodak Black did what he did at the Panthers game, I had no clue this guy existed.
Speaker 4: I think I believe he's in legally.
Speaker 1: I don't listen to that music. I listened to the eighties, eighties, eighties, eighties, best decade ever. The Caducks don't have the players to play a heavy game, and unless they have the skilled big men, there will be no room for the small players to utilize their speed. That's that Cam. Travis Cams a buddy of ours. But listen, Cam, the Canucks have passed on a lot of skill kids who are in the playoffs today. Skill kids. I'm not asking you to get small guys in bottom six. I'm asking you I don't pass on a god like stan Covin, like the Canucks dead and kabloops two feet away and they paid the price. And look at Stan Coban once you got thirteen points in fourteen playoff games.
Speaker 4: It's been tremendous. And I just wonder if you like I've never been overly impressed with Miko Ranton, and I mean the people who know a lot more about hockey than I do just love the guy. But man'stan Covin's hustle is something else.
Speaker 1: Watching fort Jack, watch stan Covin. Ford Is Mortar never.
Speaker 4: Start a skill there as well? Is it just me garthan Ladner? Or the Orders don't need a new coach, they need a goalie. Maybe the Canucks should make a deal for Dempco since they're in a rebuild, trading in your division shouldn't matter. That's a great submission by Garth and Ladder. We're at a time here. We'll wrap up the show in the poll question one dog Poll question next, Donny Dellery Team on check.
Speaker 9: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at safety Ontour dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Dog poll Rick right, get her up the wadling dog pop pole question. Which player with a vankor connection would you most like to see? The Caducks acchoir boy, This is a landslide. Brendan Gallagher a sixty percent, followed by Luke Shan and Troy Stetus. Troy Stetcher was on the show today and did say that if the Canucks do call him on July first if he's available, that he would love to come back to Vancouver.
Speaker 4: I think that might be the case with all three, given the what we just mentioned in the well we have written in the in the question the Vancouver connection. They get this market. Not every player, not every person in the NHL.
Speaker 1: Would all three of these guys would help the Canucks. You got photos right where we're going overseas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're going to We're going to Greece. This is a holdover from yesterday our pal Jordan. Yeah, yeah, he says, He says Calamara, I guess grease Greek for good morning.
Speaker 1: You've got to read that.
Speaker 3: Mikonos looking at the a g n C. I might have totally mess you got a question.
Speaker 1: You got that wrong.
Speaker 4: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Are they enjoying my espresso with my favorite podcast.
Speaker 1: In Greece listening to us? Is there anything better? Look at that water?
Speaker 3: Look at that water kind of looks like kamloops. You know, you get the same kind of uh, kamloops.
Speaker 1: Kamloops the Spain.
Speaker 4: You're a typical Canadian. You have this infurity complex. Camlops is beautiful?
Speaker 1: Oh does it?
Speaker 3: Provide views like this is Spain.
Speaker 1: Sorry, do you.
Speaker 4: Want your host run on the water like that?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 4: No space? Why not?
Speaker 3: No space?
Speaker 4: Get up?
Speaker 1: And yeah look at that guy's deck. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Done? We'll go move there. Then stop it. I take Kamloops any day.
Speaker 1: Kamloops in the summer is nice, Hey, Ryan, stop MacArthur Park, Aberdeen mall, MacArthur Park.
Speaker 4: Okay, golf course in the park.
Speaker 1: Twice to course. I want to do that at Tobiano.
Speaker 3: It's but it's no whistler. It's no whistler.
Speaker 1: But it's uh yeah, don't rip Kamloops beautiful?
Speaker 4: What else? Where are we going?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Quickly? One more?
Speaker 1: John from Ladner Yeah, sorry, Taylor Swift, but my sorts page out. Would rather sit on my Montreal Forum seat. Look at this?
Speaker 3: This is we talked about yesterday.
Speaker 5: Taylor Swift's seat from the Eastern Conference finals went up for auction show. Oh did Yeah, So we talked about that during DTMZ yesterday and John said this photo.
Speaker 4: This much more valuable, yes, Taylor Swift? Yeah, according to John? Yeah, well yeah, stop it all right, We're already in enough trouble.
Speaker 1: We're good. Yeah, Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 4: Thanks for watching. Folks on the out of Ryan, Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy and check. I'm done and you're up to dating world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.