Speaker 1: Now your host walking you up to first pitch. It's David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Wrigley Field in Chicago for Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck and Dodgers Cubs closing out their regular season series today. Your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers are now sixteen and eight on the season after taking two out of three on this road trip in Texas. The Dodgers let one get away last night here in the series opener against the Cubs, as they fell in ten innings, eleven to ten. Tonight, they look to get the series split in their final meeting of the season against the Cubs with a bullpen game. Ben Casparraus will start the game for the Dodgers. First pitch here at Wrigley Field, coming up at four o'clock. Over the next hour here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from Tommy Edmund last night, Dino Ebel will join us for our one on one, high and Tight segment, and also we'll give you an updating and you'll hear from Dodger catcher Will Smith on why he is not in the starting lineup tonight. So Austin Barnes behind the plate for the Dodgers tonight. Miguel Rojas gets the start at third base against the lefty Matthew Boyd. Yesterday here at Wrigley Field, it was a seesaw game that had a combined twenty one runs and twenty six hits, including five home runs. Eight runs were scored in the first inning by these teams alone. Tommy Edmund got things going in the top of the first inning, flexing again.
Speaker 3: At the play, batting from the right side, the switch shooter's witting on the Cub south ball, who looks at Otani on second then comes home and emmn hits a drive centerfield.
Speaker 4: Indeed, Crow Armshtrown.
Speaker 1: Going back, he's at the hall. HiT's gone.
Speaker 5: Tommy Edman.
Speaker 1: Continues to kill the Cubs.
Speaker 3: A three run bomb in the first inning, his eighth of the year, and the Dodgers strike first.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Tommy Edmond saw a lot of the Cubs when he was playing for the Cardinals, and they don't want to see him anymore because whatever he was doing with the Cardinals. He continued against the Cubs, wearing a Dodger uniform as he is ops lifetime against the Cubs is nine hundred That was Tommy Edmund's eighth home run of the year.
Speaker 4: It was his.
Speaker 2: Fifth home run this month, the most home runs Edmond has it in a single month.
Speaker 4: This game really went back and forth.
Speaker 2: The Cubs took a seven to five lead into the seventh inning, but bad Cubs defense and a shaky relief pitcher in Brad Keller couldn't hold it. In the seventh inning, Freddie Freeman delivered to give the Dodgers the lead.
Speaker 6: He thought he had the ball, he touched the bag, reached into the glove.
Speaker 1: No ball.
Speaker 4: The pitch to Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 1: Freddy t today, HiT's down. It gets to the corner. Oh, Tony scores. Beer comes Betts and the Dodgers are in front.
Speaker 3: Freddie slide safe to second base.
Speaker 6: They take it a seven lead.
Speaker 2: That was a five run seventh inning for the Dodgers to take the lead, but momentum started to swing back to the home team as Kyle Tucker hit a two run home run off of Alex Vesia in the eighth inning, and obviously the biggest one. Miguela Maya, who was hitting eighth and had only one home run this year, hit the second pitch he saw from Tanner Scott with two outs for a game tying home run.
Speaker 4: The Cubs would walk it.
Speaker 2: Off on a base hit by Ian Hapoff of Noah Davis, eleven to ten in ten innings. Like we mentioned, with the loss, the Dodgers fall to sixteen and eight. Tonight, they looked to get the series split at Wrigley Field. For our first look with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. Let's check in with the guys here in the Galpin Mothers Booth at Wrigley Field.
Speaker 3: All right, DV, it is a beautiful day in front of us here at Wrigley Field. It was an ugly finish last night, Mo. That was probable one of the more frustrating losses of the season. And he looked back at the last three games. The Dodgers have been walked off twice.
Speaker 6: And they've given up a lot of runs and too many opportunities. Quite frankly, you know, nineteen at bats last night for the Chicago Cums, the turners in scoring position, and it's one of those games that gets away from you. I mean, Tommy Edmon comes through again last night in the very first ending a three run home run. Dodgers have a quick three to nothing lead, only to turn around and see the Cubs come up with five runs on six hits against Dustin May, who really kind of struggled last night with ninety five pitches over five innings and he ran into a bus on that first inning, and the second ending did not start off very well. Then he had back to back strikeouts. Got out of it with the ground bowl, but not a particularly great performance by Dustin May. And another heavy workload Stephen by the bullpen again last night, which the bullpen now has gone over one hundred innings of work already.
Speaker 3: It's going to get more work today, Mo, because it is a bullpen effort.
Speaker 5: I am curious.
Speaker 3: So just to get back to last night, obviously like a really tough finish, It just, you know, one of those things that you say it can't happen, but obviously it does happen in this game of baseball. And to have it happen twice in a three game stretch, especially when you put up ten runs in a game you're supposed to win, that like those ones are would they would seem from an outsider's perspective, a non player perspective, the tougher ones to get over.
Speaker 5: And for the comes.
Speaker 6: That's the seventh time that they have won a ball games scoring ten runs or more already. There is one offshoot from last night's ball game. There was a tag play at home plate. The doves are able to throw out the runner and that was Ian Half. But on that play, Will Smith evidently tweaked the left wrist. He was originally into night's lineup. Then we got word about an hour and a half two hours later, no, he is not in the lineup. So Austin Barnes will do the catching. They say it's nothing to worry about with Will Smith off day tomorrow and they expect him to be in the lineup begin Friday night at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Oh you look at what's on tap for the Dodgers. You mentioned the off day on Thursday, and then once the homestand begins, it kicks off a stretch of twelve consecutive games against teams with losing records. That sounds appetizing to the Dodgers and the fans listening, but the fact is the Cubs of the type of team that the Dodgers hope to see again in the fall. That's a really, really good team, and so It's important to end this with a w get back on the happy flight before reopening play at Dodgers Stadium this weekend. All right, DV, we'll get it back to you.
Speaker 4: All right, Steven. Thanks.
Speaker 2: We'll check back in with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson one last time before our first pitch later in the hour. As we count you down to first pitch, Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. Order your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's now at shakys dot com. Steven Nelson took down some Buffalo Wings earlier today, so maybe he's got room for some mojos. We got a lot more to come between now and four h five first pitch between the Dodgers and Cubs coming up. I'm David Vasse and this is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on, Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's a bullpen game to close out this road trip for the Dodgers, as Ben Caspiraus will get things started going up against left hander Matthew Boyd first pitch from Wrigley Field coming up at four o'clock.
Speaker 1: This is the three wide.
Speaker 2: Another quiet night at the plate for Shoe Otani. He was zero for four last night with three strikeouts. He's not seen the ball really well. When he's a double taking at pitches that are called strikes, you know he's not in sync at the plate. The Dodgers lost in ten innings last night, as we mentioned, eleven to ten in ten innings. Otani hitless in two games back since returning from the paternity leave.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: All right, Kirston Watson is brought to us by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call one eight seven seven Cars for Kids Now. Friendly agents are standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with a K to donate your car today. Luis Garcia might donate one day, Kirston, I think so.
Speaker 1: I saw the look on his face.
Speaker 7: He's ready, he's ready.
Speaker 8: Hey.
Speaker 2: We got some response on drinking pickled juice to not get dehydrated and cramp up while you're pitching in a major league game, because.
Speaker 1: They said it works, right, yeah, work?
Speaker 7: Also, I mean, listen, last year, Tyler had said that after that outing in Toronto he did use that and it works for him. So and I do know that during spring training they always have the little pickle juice shots and stuff available in the training room for the guy. So it's a thing that.
Speaker 4: Right thing you lighten us and everybody took to it yesterday.
Speaker 7: What can I say? I try. I try to enlighten the people of Assay, I really do, and I'm glad that. I guess Tyler maybe enlightened us first and then we just passed it on to everyone.
Speaker 4: Sounds good enlighten us.
Speaker 2: On Wrigley Field, you have one of the best views here being in the camera well during the game. What do you appreciate the most about this ballpark?
Speaker 7: What do I appreciate the most? I would say the scoreboard is really cool and just how it is old school and you have like there's someone in there to make all the different changes. I think that's amazing. Anything can happen here, which we literally saw last night with how the game was played. But I think that's the biggest thing for like, you never know what's going to happen at Wrigley Field, and I think that kind of adds to the excitement of this game, but also to like the element of surprise when you're here. So I think we're in for another treat tonight. But hopefully the wind doesn't want to be like on our bad side today, because it definitely felt like a few of those swings probably should have gone out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like the conditions are definitely conducive to offense tonight. Here's something for you being a sideline reporter, being that close to the action. There have been some that been struck by foul balls. Have you ever come close?
Speaker 9: Do you?
Speaker 4: How much do you have to be on your toes.
Speaker 7: You definitely have to keep your eye of the ball at all times. I was hit by a foul ball once in Miami.
Speaker 4: Actually, oh yeah.
Speaker 7: And what happened was is so there where the reporter sits, you're kind of you're right next to the dugout and essentially the guys can be on the stairs right there. There's no netting. And I told them, I was like, hey, listen, like, y'all can stand there. It's totally fine, but just either like give me.
Speaker 1: A heads up.
Speaker 7: You can't just like duck if the ball comes this way. And they're like, yeah, yeah, we got you. And the ball came in and they ducked so to be fair on my arm, which I'm pretty sure I still have internal bruising. So whenever they do get hit by a ball, like they're not being dramatic, it really hurts, like extremely, it hurts very badly. And honestly, how they're able to just like get back to it is remarkable of just whether it's pain tolerant, whether it's just commitment to the game, you name it, like how they're able, whether it's in the boxings like that, Like they're very impressive athletes out there.
Speaker 4: All right, be safe tonight, Kirsten. We're thinking about you.
Speaker 7: I do have netting here, so I'll be all right.
Speaker 4: All right, good, great to see you. We'll see you back in La.
Speaker 7: See you back in La.
Speaker 2: There she is, Kirsten Watson and still here to come on Marongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. We'll preview tonight's pitching matchup with the Dodgers. Going with the bullpen game. I'll go one on one with Dodger third base coach Dino Ebel, and we also have the latest Dodger injury report, So a lot to get to between now and first pitch coming up at four o'clock right here on the World.
Speaker 4: Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Well, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers Hunting on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: David Bassey live at Wrigley Field in Chicago for the final regular season meeting between the Dodgers and Cubs. Marongo Casino Resort and spa a Grand Slam for good times.
Speaker 4: First pitch is coming up at four o'clock.
Speaker 1: He's the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 2: Report Dodger Injury Report presented by UCLA Health, the official official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Well, we were all wondering why Will Smith was not in the starting lineup today, considering the Dodgers have a day off tomorrow.
Speaker 4: We found out.
Speaker 2: I spoke to Will Smith in the clubhouse and he explained that tagging out Ian Hap at the plate in the sixth inning last night caused him to bend his left wrist awkwardly, and when he woke up this morning it was sore. So here's what the Dodger catcher told me about where the wrist is at and just why he's not playing tonight.
Speaker 10: Banged my wrist up a little bit last night, so that's it. The tag lay home just kind of I don't know what it did, but yeah, it doesn't feel great today. So he's being smart about it. Yeah, just you know, hard play, hard contact, slide, hard tag and just you know, bugged it and just woke up not feeling not feeling great. But I don't know, I'm not too worried about it. I think nothing's broken right now. I think so it's just so tight and just just starting to get it two days instead of pushing you today and then, you know, prolonging something that doesn't even be.
Speaker 5: Prolonged to.
Speaker 2: Hey, the life of a catcher is not as easy as it looks. Will Smith one of the best, if not the best, hitting catcher in baseball this year. Certainly it has been big for the Dodgers lineup. So no Will Smith tonight. Austin Barnes is in the starting lineup catching the bullpen game for the Dodgers. Let's go downstairs right now to hear from the manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 1: Any question for Dave, Dave, can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 5: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 1: The dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 11: We do, we do. I feel good about the arms. We're going to run out tonight to prevent runs. Obviously, Ben's going to start. Ben a starter before, nothing new to him, hopefully hoping to get you know, two out of him, maybe get into third inning and then we'll sort of go from there. But all hands on deck tonight.
Speaker 5: We've talked about in the past.
Speaker 1: Now, No, Davis is a player who's built out.
Speaker 5: We obviously saw him.
Speaker 4: He's the one page last night.
Speaker 7: See someone that would be available to.
Speaker 3: Get back out there today.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, No, he's on the roster. He'll be available with whatever we need. And you know, he threw a strike and Ian hit it in the hole and they won a ballgame. But it's good to have him on the roster and we'll see if he gets in there tonight.
Speaker 2: All right, there's manager Dave Roberts explaining kind of the plans for the bullpen game. Noah Davis has been kind of held out making his Dodger debut. Tough spot last night, and Davis certainly will be in the mix in tonight's bullpen game. When we continue from Wrigley Field inside the Moroco Casino Dodgers on Deck Show, you'll hear from the Cubs killer himself, Tommy Edmund, as the Dodgers and Cubs get set for first pitch today at four o'clock. I'm David Vasse and this is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 2: David Vasse live at Wrigley Field as we are getting set for first pitch. Coming up at four o'clock, Ben Casparaus will start the bullpen game for the Dodgers against Cubs left hander Matthew Boyd. Coming up later in the show will dive deeper into tonight's pitching matchup.
Speaker 4: Rick and Steven will have the keys to the game.
Speaker 2: But first we want to hear from Tommy Edmund, who drove in four runs last night. Dodger Baseball driven by Ford. If there's one thing we like, it's choices. Find yours with the Ford F one fifty Gas Hybrid or all electric tough This mart can only be called F one fifty.
Speaker 10: Ye had.
Speaker 9: Play a lot of crazy games with regularly over the years, especially when the winds blown out like it was today. I know this past week, these guys have played a lot of kind of wild games here, so it's kind of just the expectation. We come in much of a challenge with that post.
Speaker 1: For you when you were playing in the outfield.
Speaker 9: Not too bad. You just gotta play a little bit deeper because the wind's blown out. But yeah, the balls just carry a little bit farther than you might expecting to have a.
Speaker 1: Lot of success against this team.
Speaker 7: What were you saying from the show to especially early in the game with that at bet.
Speaker 9: You know, there's he's a does a good job of keeping you off balance. You kind of gotta pick a pitch and stick with it. So, you know, I just feel like I did a good job about today.
Speaker 12: You've played on regularly a lot, obviously. Were you're surprised that ball didn't go on your glove with the basket right there?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the basket's kind of annoying, you know, It's it's just that's I mean, basket's not there's not a homer, so just kind of a weird read quirk of the ballpark. I felt like I could beat on it, but fortunately it fairly made it.
Speaker 12: Out and he's broke from lotfield at that point in the game. The momentums means what I feel like for the for the team as a whole. Right there, when he made that Leffield.
Speaker 9: That was huge.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 9: It's just you know, keep us in the ballgame, and they were kind of trying to push the envelope a little bit. Everybody knows and he's got a great arm and she did a good job of throwing a strike to home and give us a chance to come back.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Tommy Edmund post game last night. Thanks to Sports ned LA for bringing us the Cubs Killer Tommy Edmond, who's back in there today of course. Coming up on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck, you'll here from the best third base coach in baseball and Dino Ebol. I'll go one on one with America's favorite analyst, Rick Monday, and we also have your Dodgers Magical Moment Dodgers and Cubs first pitch from Wrigley Field coming up at four o'clock. I'm David Vasse and this is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: David Vasse live at Wrigley Field, getting set for first pitch between the Dodgers and Cubs, a bullpen game for the Dodgers. Ben Casparrius will start it, going up against left hander Matthew Boyd. First pitch coming up at four o'clock.
Speaker 4: Who wants a hot cock?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment. Bitch Magical presented by Hawfy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: We go back to last season for our Hofy Magical Moment. September eleventh, twenty the Dodgers played host to these Chicago Cubs and in the bottom of the first inning, the Dodgers lit up started Jordan Wicks o'tani led off with a home run. Then later in the inning, two more home runs back to back to two.
Speaker 4: Pitch swung on head high in the air.
Speaker 2: Right this ball's back and the Dodgers for the second.
Speaker 4: Time this year, I've gone back to pack to pack in the first inning.
Speaker 2: The home run hat trick next monthly home run number fourteen.
Speaker 4: It is five to two Dodgers. Can you believe this.
Speaker 6: Dodgers Stadium going crazy?
Speaker 1: Right now here?
Speaker 4: In the first inning. We can believe it.
Speaker 2: Last year, in a span of eighteen days, the Dodgers hit back to back to back home runs three times against the Cubs on September eleventh, the week before in Arizona, and then four days later in Atlanta. So the Dodgers offense was such a big part of them being able to win the World Series. That night at Dodgers Stadium, they would go on to beat the Cubs ten to eight. This Haffy Magical moment was brought to you by Hoffy hot Dogs. Haffy so Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Hoffy hot Dogs, Local and so great. When we continue here on Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck, he's standing by, he's ready to go. Mister Chicago himself, Rick.
Speaker 4: Monday right around the corner. I'm David beaseying.
Speaker 2: This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino Dodgers.
Speaker 4: On Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 1: Y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: We are live at Wrigley Field for Dodgers Cubs coming up at four o'clock.
Speaker 4: Still to come.
Speaker 2: We'll get you the keys to the game, plus a preview of tonight's pitching matchup. But time now for Prize Picks Double Play of the Day. Got him with the two for one hard shot to third throws the second on the first double.
Speaker 5: What Tames?
Speaker 1: This is the Prize Picks double Play of the Day.
Speaker 2: Join the millions of other baseball fans and playing daily fantasy sports at Prize Picks. Download the free Prize Picks app and sign up using the code go blue to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. That's go blue when you sign up at Price Picks. Here are today's two picks. Freddie Freeman more or less half a hit, I'm going more, Tommy.
Speaker 4: Edmond, who is on fire.
Speaker 2: Him and Will Smith have been the most consistent hitters in the Dodger lineup.
Speaker 4: A three run home run last night. I'm going more over more than a half a hit again.
Speaker 2: Download the Prize Picks app and use the promo code Go Blue Ice Picks.
Speaker 4: Run your game.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Basseying, Here's la Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 2: All right, Rick Monday Yesterday brought up the bar beyond center field that always sends or puts up an antagonizing message.
Speaker 4: Did you see it today? Yes, I did swinging miss today.
Speaker 2: Why don't you say, Rick, They used the play on words of Dodger pitcher Sour who did not pitch in last night's game. It said, la must be sour sa u r E. They blew that lead yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I looked at it and I went dud.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah, I was disappointed. I took a walk just to see it.
Speaker 6: Well, here's here's the deal you just got through about you picked Freddy Freeman for more than half. Well they got half a point for that. By the way, there were a few games that I said, hey, I got half a hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, yeah kind of.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's been a lot talk the last twenty four hours, Rick about those baskets in center.
Speaker 6: Field, the feeding troughs.
Speaker 4: Yes, so you played out there.
Speaker 2: Are you a fan of the baskets or do you feel like they interfere with the outcome of games?
Speaker 6: No, they don't interfere with the outcome of games. Before they put those up. And I forget the exact date, because I came here in seventy.
Speaker 5: Two, and.
Speaker 6: That they were already up. The problem was if you look at the stands in the left field in right field, if you don't have those feeding troughs. The reason that they were erected is that people kept leaning over and catching balls that were still in play technically, so it kind of alleviated that they cannot reach out far enough to take the bowl away unless they have a net with them and reach out to do that. No, it's kind of a weird deal. But if you look at this outfield too, David, everybody talks about, well, the friendly confines of regular field. We touched upon it last night three sixty eight in the Power Allies. But at three point fifty plus down both foul lines, four hundred straight away center field, and is also a couple of different angles and then the brick that's underneath it. So yeah, the feeding troughs is what we referred to them at the time. It's a basket that kind of protect from players being maybe robbed of a base hit or maybe robbed of being able to make a defensive play with fans reaching over on the ball that technically is still in play.
Speaker 2: And also on the flip side as a hitter it helped out a home run, a game tying home run by Miguelmia last night.
Speaker 6: Sometimes it is truly a game of inches, and that's what it worked out to last night. But what about the Chicago Cubs. I mean, you start to look at there's a couple of different things they're keeping track of. First of all, this is the most runs. They've scored, more runs than any other team in Major League Baseball one hundred and fifty six. And for Chicago Cubs, that is the most runs through twenty five games of a season since nineteen twenty nine. So you're talking about really a remarkable beginning for this Cub's team.
Speaker 4: And Kyle Tucker has a lot to do with that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how did the Astros let him go and not hold on to him and sign him?
Speaker 2: I know, I know, Hey, Rick, we got it back out of here. It's a quicker start time, so great catching up with you. Jeez, save me a seat on the plane, Rick, Okay, it'll be in the back, Okay. Dodger fans, start your future at a California community college. Financial aid is available to help with tuition, books, and sometimes even the rent.
Speaker 4: It's time to take the next big step. Classes can fill.
Speaker 2: Up quickly, so enrolled today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 4: Still to come.
Speaker 2: Here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck, we'll catch up with Dodgers third base coach Dino Eble the Dodgers and Cubs coming up at four o'clock. Right here, I'm the world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Well, this is Wrongo Casino Dodgers game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Is the Dodgers and Cubs getting said for the final regular season game. These two teams will play against each other. First pitch coming up at four h five. Dodger Baseball is brought to you by Zen She Handcrafted Sushi. Enjoy the game with a quick, affordable meal that the whole family can enjoy. Zen She Sushi always fast, fresh and easy. We're gonna get to Rick and Steven and their keys to the game, but we are joined right now by the best third base coach and all a Major League baseball and the Dodgers are very fortunate to have him return for another year.
Speaker 4: That is the great Dino Ebol. Dino, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 8: Thanks David for having me on. Love always talking baseball, with.
Speaker 4: You, Dino.
Speaker 2: It seems like whenever there's introductions at Dodger Stadium, you get loud ovations. Coaches usually don't get those type of ovations from the home team. How much does that make you feel that the fans appreciate what you're able to do?
Speaker 5: Well, you just said it.
Speaker 8: I appreciate the fans you know that are on my side. I think just sharing my knowledge and you know, it helps when you're live on you know, the spectrum channel with playing the Angels and just giving them, you know, your thoughts and views of the game while the while the game is going on. But yeah, I've always felt you know, the fans, Uh, you know, you always treat the fans with respect because they come to the games, they cheer us on, and there's gonna be days where they boom me, which is part of my job. Is a guy gets thrown out, it's the process is there. But yeah, I respect our fans are loyal baseball fans. And uh, it means a lot when you know the name is called and I hear the applause.
Speaker 4: You sound a lot like Tommy Lasorda.
Speaker 8: Tommy, Yeah, that's back in the old day, Tommy. Uh yeah, he was always uh, you know, as a minor league player, minor league coach manager. He would come in and you know, he always always told us respect the fans, and the fans, uh will be there for you, thick and thin and uh. And I've always remembered that. And Tommy's the best at it. So, yes, Tommy Lasorda, were you.
Speaker 2: Ever in Chicago with Tommy Lasorda? He is famous for the Italian restaurants and me he would have here.
Speaker 8: No, I was in the minor leagues, but I heard all the stories when he came to the minor leagues and he is a true legend here. The fans here in Chicago love him. I think the fans love him in every city he goes to, except for San Francisco.
Speaker 5: Deep down they love him because he's a Dodger blue.
Speaker 8: But yeah, Tommy is the best at it and what a man. I respect and truly miss.
Speaker 2: Denuebol, Dodgers' third base coach, is our guest, all right. Do you know after last night's game, there was a lot of chatter about the baskets that line the outfield walls here at Wrigley Field. Tommy Edmund not a fan of it. Tanner Scott obviously not a fan of it because that's where the game tying home run landed. What's your thoughts coming here so many years about those baskets?
Speaker 8: Well, from day one, you know, back to my Angel days coming here to Wrigley. I always enjoy coming here, But that was one of the first things I noticed.
Speaker 5: Being a third base.
Speaker 8: Coach, I got to go out there and walk the field and see all the different, you know, stuff that can happen if the ball hits the wall, and that's the first thing I noticed.
Speaker 5: I don't know why. I guess it's tradition that they keep it there, but they can easily fix that.
Speaker 8: Take that gate down and put a yellow line up there, and anything over the yellow line would be a homer. But yeah, definitely it's a hitter's advantage. And like you said with the Tommy last night, you know, the ball looks like it's going to hit that gate and it doesn't and comes off the wall. And I'm sure it's happened to the Cubs, but it's fair game for both sides.
Speaker 5: But yeah, if I had it.
Speaker 8: My way, I would absolutely get that thing off the wall.
Speaker 2: When you look at that basket, if you are Tom the Edmund or any other outfielder, how do you play a ball like last night?
Speaker 5: That's a tough one because he went back.
Speaker 8: He thinks he's going to catch his ball, and all of a sudden, it looks like it's going to hit the basket, as you said, and then you missed the ball. So and then if you don't play the basket and you turn around and the ball hits halfway up the wall, everybody's going to say you should have caught the ball.
Speaker 5: So you know he did the right thing.
Speaker 8: He got to the wall. Now he puts his glove up and you think, if the ball is going to hit that basket, you know it hits it, and if it doesn't, you try to catch it.
Speaker 5: But if f unfortunately it didn't work on our favor.
Speaker 2: I love whenever Tom Y Edmond's brought up, good or bad, but a lot of good is always connected to him. Is he a better player coaching him now seeing him every day than you even thought?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? This guy.
Speaker 8: And I'm not afraid to tell everybody on the other side too. Last night I mentioned to some of those players on the Cub side that this is probably one of the purest baseball players that I've been around. He does everything well to plus average. If you ask him to bunce, if you ask him to put the ball in play, he puts it in play.
Speaker 5: You ask him to play short, he does it.
Speaker 8: Just everything that you try to fundamentally teach a baseball player growing up from little league to high school, to the minor leagues, college into the big leagues. This guy knows how to play the game, and he studies a game. His process is really above average, and I'm glad he's on our side because he is truly a baseball player.
Speaker 2: I'm glad Dino Ebel is on the Dodgers side. Don't ever retire, do you know we need you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm getting there fifty nine years old into sixty, but I love what I do. I still have the passion, the energy and get in that third base box. The heartbeat is beaten, and so I don't know how much longer I have, But being a Dodger, it's gonna be hard to take me off this uniform.
Speaker 5: Love it.
Speaker 2: Dino, thanks a lot for the time. Great catching up with you and say hi to the boys.
Speaker 5: I sure will. David, thanks for having me on there.
Speaker 2: He is the best in the business. Dino Evil has been our guest. He'll receive a pair of sunglasses, Canaan Sunglass, especially handcrafted. Visit them at Caanaan dot Com.
Speaker 4: When we continue.
Speaker 2: From Wrigley Field, we'll get you the latest on tonight's pitching matchup with the bullpen game. And also we want to remind you about our friends at Shakey's. Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shakey's dot Com. Dodgers Cubs coming up at four oh five. I'm David Basse and this is the world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue all season long long.
Speaker 2: David Bassey live at Wrigley Field as we are getting close to the first pitch between the Dodgers and Cubs at four o'clock. Tonight's pitching matchup presented by your Southern California Toyota dealers. Work hard and play hard in a New Tacoma with an I Force turbocharge engine. It's a truck built for the bold. See your Toyota dealer. Today, we make it easy for the Cubs. They have thirty four year old left hander Matthew Boyd on the mound. He's one and two this year with an ERA of two zero one. Hard to believe considering he doesn't overwhelm the opposition. He only has gotten twenty seven percent swings and misses on his pitches, and the Dodgers, seeing him once before at Dodgers Stadium, really didn't have any answers for him. The Dodger hitters have not done well against Boyd. They're right handed hitters having done well. Ta Oscar Hernandez is just two for thirteen and Mookie Betts is just four for fifteen against Boyd. For the Dodgers, it's a bullpen game. Ben Caspirius is going to start it. In nine games this year, Caspiraus is two to zero with an ERA of four to eleven.
Speaker 4: He had one bad outing, that's why his ERA is inflated.
Speaker 2: He's pitched fifteen and a third innings and the last time he pitched wasn't that long ago Sunday in Texas, when he pitched an inning in two thirds of scoreless baseball and through twenty three pitches. So You're going to see Ben Caspirius. The Dodgers stayed away from Jack Dryer, You're going to see him. You might see Luis Garcia again, and you certainly will see Noah Davis. Dodgers and Cups just fifteen minutes away from first pitch.
Speaker 4: He's to the game. Our next.
Speaker 2: I'm David Vasse and this is the world champion Dodgers Audio Networks.
Speaker 4: Way were Saya.
Speaker 1: Yes is Morongo Casino tack on, the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: We are getting you set for the Dodgers and Cubs. Ben Casparius opening for the Dodgers against Matthew Boyd. Celebrate ninety years of horse racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. Get on track for experiences like the biggest derby party west of Kentucky, Mother's Day dining and free Fridays with drink specials.
Speaker 4: Explore experiences at.
Speaker 2: Santa Anita dot Com slash events. All right, We're gonna check in once more before first pitch with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson right now.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you, David with Rick Monday one more time. Before we get set for the final Rick Monday Bowl of twenty twenty five. Of course, that is the Dodgers against the Cubs here at Wrigley Field. A lovely day, knock on wood, less threat of weather than we had yesterday, and yesterday we ended up being a perfectly dry night, except for perhaps the tears at the end of the game for the Dodgers. And so now, mo, you got a bull for a bullpen that has been taxed and used heavily already this season. Ben Casparra's be the first on the buck pat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Sparras one of the things I'm gonna be looking at. We don't know how long he'd be in there, pitch count, maybe two innings, don't really know it this particular time. Everybody has signed up on that sheet to be available. But I think if you're looking overall, the Dodgers would love to him to go as far as he can. You know, in twenty four games the Dodgers have played, they have used twenty different pitchers already. Atlanta has used the twenty one, and the Milwaukee Baltimore Seattle they have used twenty as well. You know, last year the Dodgers used forty and they may be on a pace to get to that same number, if not higher, this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So for Ben Casperras, he pitched on Sunday, he actually got the win in that emergency bullpen for trying to pick up Tyler Glasnewin's injury. One in two thirds innings for him, this is actually going to be his first career regular season start, if you can believe that or not.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And on the road, he's had four appearances. He has not allowed an earn run on the road to this particular point. Go right at him, young man, go as long as you can. Dodgers need to figure out the austbat pitch and Matthew Boyd the lefty. The Dodgers have not really hit lefties as well as you would expect them to to this point.
Speaker 3: They've been one of the best teams against leftenant pitching the last couple of years, it seems with this year they just haven't been able to put it together. They've got a lot of stars that are struggling right now at the plate. Their swings are getting a long, they're pulling off base balls, they're not hitting the ball as hard as they have throughout their career. So we'll see if they could turn that around against Boyd. And we'll see DV if Ben Casparis can get some get back against the same Cubs that took it to them on the twelfth of April and touched them up for six runs.
Speaker 2: All Right, guys, Dodgers and Cubs closing out their regular season series.
Speaker 4: First pitches.
Speaker 2: Next, I'm David Bassey and this is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.