Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty seven of five and five. It is Thursday, July thirdieth.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Craig Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Debutte and Jeffrey pattern Nostro.
Speaker 1: What do we have on the docket for banter today? So I did?
Speaker 3: Craig got annoyed at me on last show because I mentioned I went to a concert and didn't use it for banter. I did go to a concert, but that was that was Patrick was Patrick. I don't know, like you just kind of merge into one person when you're bothering me about That's fine, basically, but I just just to just to clarify a Baseball Perspective editor was bothering me about something.
Speaker 1: But email. The email editor at Baseball Perspective has yes editor.
Speaker 3: I won't give out the who address. I don't want to get spammed, but I mean people will probably figure it out. But whatever I just did to say the whole thing I did in between I should notice that the the first Baptist church in Salt Lake City, Like in the church is where the concert was. So I was sitting in a pew and in between sets, someone like tasted me on the shoulder, and goes, can I ask you a question? I'm like, okay, sure, like what like, I'm not going to be like I don't want to be bothered no, and they go are you spooky Keith? And I turned and said no, I'm not you absolutely like I don't like I don't know what if I can.
Speaker 1: Quote Ghostbusters, if someone asks you if you're scook spooky Keith, you say yes. And then I was just wondering what steps it would take to become spooky Key.
Speaker 3: So I just like, I think he likes just asking him. I own we do whatever I don't like and then he goes, not did you ask No? I asked for no further information. I did not want to clarifying questions. I did not need to know more.
Speaker 1: Opportunity, perhaps a huge missed opportunity.
Speaker 3: And then then the guy like like, no, he's not spooky Heith.
Speaker 1: So he was, So he was the guy who dorew the short straw.
Speaker 3: I assume this is like like Salt Lake City, like any major city has, you know, characters, There's a wizard named Ten that sells jewelry.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, this is like for for my area. The guy who has the question mark Van and and yes, yeah, yeah, Matthew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it's the singing cowboy in Times Square or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, Lanslow was the one that the one inspires to be and he got on television. Yeah, yes, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I have not looked into further under what spooky Keith is.
Speaker 1: But how see you?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't remember it was spooky. I think it was spooky Keith. It may have been a different first name. It did not even First of all.
Speaker 1: Now now I am not only did you go to a concert?
Speaker 2: I was willing to forgive you because you said I forgot, like I don't even remember what I've done this weekend. We're all old, it's fine, whatever, But you had an incident at the concert and.
Speaker 3: Call it an incident like someone tried to talk to me like.
Speaker 1: It was yeah and most now something when I went.
Speaker 3: To see the body and being braved, someone like asked me how much the beers were here. It's the same kind of thing.
Speaker 1: The content of the question, yea. What I'm starting to think about is that I could never be Spooky Keith because that nickname, like it's a good, it's a good, that's good, that doesn't work with Patrick. Spooky Patrick doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Keith is his real first name.
Speaker 1: Yes, so he might have just made up. But like the spooky Craig and spooky Jeff both work as a title.
Speaker 2: I don't know Craig, spook doesn't work. That's why people are constantly changing my name. Craik doesn't work as a moniker in a number, and.
Speaker 1: It sounds better than spooky Patrick, which case better than Patrick. Yeah, so it's it's shame. I think it's just the one and everybody. Spooky's just the one syllable. Yeah, I think you could be spooky Pat. No, not you, someone could. I am. I don't know how you didn't bring this up, but I'm glad that you did. I'm glad that you know.
Speaker 3: Like again, I remember what the actual name was. It did not register. I just wand on to the.
Speaker 1: Salt Lake City Reddit.
Speaker 3: I am on the spot. I'm a member of his Faultlake City. I mean I follow.
Speaker 1: I'm saying. I'm just saying you need a miss connection history. Yeah maybe maybe post under misconnections. I wasn't spooky Keith, but someone was looking for you. Yeah, yeah, so it was my birthday last week. Now that it's in the past, I can talk about it. I don't care about my birthday all. What I did on my birthday I watched forty percent of the movie. I have not seen the other sixty percent yet. What's been a while since we've had a movie it is? I know, Yeah, it's a spider Man across the spider Verse. Okay, it's good. Long, it's long, I mean it's it's yeah, it's good. I only saw the first one, which was what I The only thing I'm really taking away from it for so far, it's it doesn't feel as good or as bad. It's the first movie like that. The first movie is ever bad, but like it feels more even polished and kind of like flat so far. But I will say that it reminds me of the film Mnemona. It's a animated film. That young adult animated film Naemona is really good and it feels like a similar movie to this, and I think it went a little underrated. So if you have a chance, go watch that movie. It's fun. Pnemona, Pnemona, and I am o na Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's as long as we're talking about. I don't know if I don't think this is in the IMDb two fifty, but Millennium Actress is now free to watch if you're in the I think given North America, I can't.
Speaker 1: Remember if I've watched that one or not. I don't think I have, because I think I get a confused Paprika mhm. I think it's which is a different isn't the same directors? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean all his stuff is good, but Molnium mattresses quite good. It's available for free on YouTube in North America only.
Speaker 1: You know. Now all of you have more movie to watch than I do because I only have an hour and thirty. Namona is also a The film is based on a graphic novel. Yes, so you can also read it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought for a second you said.
Speaker 1: Oh, Maryland based. The author uh came up working on it while attending the Maryland Institute of Institute College of Art. Marylynd mentioned Marylyn mentioned have some old bag while you're reading it.
Speaker 3: I thought for a second, you said A Noma Lisa, which is also an animated film that is worth watching.
Speaker 1: All right, now everyone's got movie Rex. We can go into our first segment. Ooh, baby, baby, it's a wild card. Where do we want to start?
Speaker 3: Well, we have to start with the Phillies again.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't as it felt like we were jumping in gun a little last time. Now it no longer does.
Speaker 2: And as as I posted, uh yesterday, it's a wild time to be in a group chat with a Phillies fan and a Tigers fan.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I wasn't for where we wanted to start.
Speaker 3: Well, like when we did the free fallen segment on Monday, I did put Philly's question mark in the dock. This is now Philly's exclamation point.
Speaker 1: Yeah we need uh the amity's uh like write yeah, well yeah, lights too bright is the more recent one, but he has.
Speaker 3: Like the Phis a Philly fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think we know, we know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Phillies stake themselves a six nothing lead with us Lizardo on the mound against the Marlins. Uh, they were into the sixth in name with that lead. They did not hold that lead.
Speaker 3: They did not. Lezardo specifically did not hold that. Should not have your starter blowing at six something lead. I know he lost with the lead, but yeah.
Speaker 1: He was pulled with the runners on base and the relievers.
Speaker 3: Maybe should have been pulled before those runners got on base. One might say, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Don Maddingly has been fired from coaching jobs before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: Is one. I'm he blew it.
Speaker 2: In the seventh they started, I think they runs in the six Lozardo went six and a third seth Johnson allowed some inherited runners or the Phillies also, so it was this was by the way, and then and then additional runs came in off Jonathan Bowling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we should note that this was to sweep the Phillies the third game of the Yes, they had already lost the first two to the Molins.
Speaker 1: There are also some things happening.
Speaker 3: Oh they're sure, they're always are, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Off the mm hm the field, Yes, I guess uh.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Don Maddingly, Bryce Harper was asked about the deadline and said, I I thought a pretty generic like, sure, we're we're in the we're in it. We've done enough.
Speaker 1: I think we It's always good to have reinforcements.
Speaker 3: He basically like, did I think we have the guys to win? We have the guys that can win.
Speaker 1: That is what you would expect a veteran leader of a veteran data that is in the playoffs to say, maybe I would not like my friends to be fired. Yeah, maybe he didn't say, like, he didn't use the exact words that people want to use, but the thrust of what he said was absolutely normal.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is this undercurrent, right, it's with a lot of it with Harper Is to Judge and Lindoor as well, where I don't want to say they're like shadow gms, right, but they have they have opinions. They have like sometimes very strong opinions on who they want to be playing with and things like that.
Speaker 2: Here's here's what he said. I think we need some help. But you know, I think we've proved pretty much all year. We've done a pretty good job. But anytime you can get some help in here and reinforcement, I think it helps. That is borderline pablem Yeah, like that is not offensive to me in any way. What do you want him to say this? If you're done maddingly, I guess what you want them to say is that's up to Dave. Sure, right, he just wants him to shut up.
Speaker 3: That's what Manningly basically said, right, Like, we have people in the front office, specifically Dave don Browski, not my son, who is also in the front office. Not going to mention him, but you know that make these decisions, and players think they can be gms, but they really can't. Like Manningly was far more aggressive about this than he needed to be.
Speaker 2: What he said was I sense Bryce thinking about it. I don't really sense anybody else thinking about it. Honestly, I've been through this. Guys want to be gms. What you need without a real understanding of where the organization is, exactly where this thing goes, not only this year but moving forward. So I mean players like being gms and making calls and spending other people's money. So let it go at that.
Speaker 3: You cannot let it go before that, don You cannot go for that When your son is the general manager, Well.
Speaker 2: He knows players want to be gms because Preston, you know, was a first round draft pit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now a GM. I you know, I don't understand. I don't I don't understand this.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean, it's not that hard to understand. You have three very large personalities here in harperd Dombrowski, and Maddingly, and Harper is mad at Dombrowski for the stuff he said in the off season.
Speaker 2: Like which which I think is kind of like they need to bury the hat ship.
Speaker 3: Yes, but Harper is probably like Maddingly is a new bench coach.
Speaker 2: And to be fair like that was that was something Dave don Browski did not need to say. Like if we're discussing Don Mattingly saying things that didn't need to be said, that was something Dave.
Speaker 1: Probably didn't so he does.
Speaker 3: It's actual like Harper is not having a great season by his standards.
Speaker 2: You know, he started off where he was and it's it's he's fallen back.
Speaker 3: To And look, that's part of the reason they are five games over, five bunder right now, is like they have one Well.
Speaker 2: I don't even think, yes, it's to me, it's not on Harper is doing enough. It's not where you want your first baseman super startedly.
Speaker 1: Necessarily, but it's not getting that far below it.
Speaker 3: It's not that far below, but he is getting BAM.
Speaker 1: For example, is you know, yeah, there are other places JT. Realmuto is.
Speaker 3: Justin Crawford.
Speaker 2: Right everyone who's not Bryce Harper, Kyle Schwarber or and even he has fallen back some. Brandon marsh is basically you know Trey Turner, sure if you want to, if you want to pick on veterans not getting it.
Speaker 1: Done right, Like, there are a number of options at this.
Speaker 3: Point, and I'm sure there's some I don't know. I don't know the intricacies of the Philadelphia Phillies locker room. I don't want to. But oh, but there's some I don't.
Speaker 2: Other stuff I'm gonna read. I'm gonna read more of what he said because it's not believable. I mean, Bryce is Bryce. He's gonna say what he wants, So I'm not really concerned about it. I just take it with a grain of salt, and knowing how players are over the years, it's not the first time I've heard this. You know, we need, we need. I always look at it internally. You know, I've got to get better. We've got to get better. This is I mean, that's patronizing ship.
Speaker 3: That that is like, yeah, Bryce Harper, you only have a one twenty five ops plus, Like, what are you supposed to be? The star? Look As as Craig said, Don Mattingly has gotten fired from managerial jobs before, and you know, the stars before stuff with Jazz in Miami. I think I feel like in La he had a decent reputation for managing egos there.
Speaker 2: But mm hmmm, I they were Yeah, it's so weird. Like the time he was there, they were pretty bad. Honestly, they didn't have all the all the guys. Sure, and he when he started off, they kind.
Speaker 1: Of overperformed for him.
Speaker 2: Despite not being really that good, and so that kind of got him some grace. But but they moved on from him pretty quick once they started getting.
Speaker 3: Yet and look, he's only been there a few months. There's probably some resentment that he took Topper's job, right, and like the obviously they played badly enough that they can move on from the manager. But it wasn't like, you know, it wasn't like Caleb Cotham, right, it wasn't some guy that's been there and been through the trenches with them in the playoffs and things like that. And but he's and he's also Don Mattingley, right, he's Donnie Baseball. He's a start. He was that he was the Bryce Harper of his era in a lot of ways. He's a star, Like he's a famous star level player for a major franchise. Yeah, so it's like something's got to give here, and like Maddeningly obviously has nothing. So I forget who. I think someone pointed out on Blue Sky, or maybe it was in a group chat I don't remember, but basically the idea that Mattingly wasn't Dombrowski's first choice for interim manager. They wanted to and I mean, he's not gonna have the job. He's not going to have this job. After the season, he can say whatever he wants.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he was retired.
Speaker 3: They told him out of retirement to do this for one last job.
Speaker 1: No, what, he wasn't retired.
Speaker 3: I thought he was after he had just left the Blue I thought I thought the implicator with you was kind of.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure if it was he had worn out.
Speaker 3: His Yeah he does that too, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is like, what are you setting up for the next one. Obviously he can just retire. He doesn't need you know, he's fine. His his you know, front office son can take care of him if he if he hasn't taken care of himself.
Speaker 1: I just like he can go be.
Speaker 3: A special assistant in that front office, right.
Speaker 1: Presumably.
Speaker 2: It's just weird to me because you know, they also if you look at this like MLB dot com article or the Athletic article or whatever. Harper also says, like I haven't done my job to the best of my Billy Brace. Harper is not, like, is not accountable. Whether he's not.
Speaker 3: A Pathing the Buck kind of guy like that, it's not yet.
Speaker 2: I mean, like whether whether you think in the clubhouse he passes the buck but publicly he doesn't. I don't know, all right, I'm not gonna I don't think that, but maybe someone does. But he will go out in front of the press and say it. He'll say, like these guys over like, we need to be better. Yeah, he knows we need to be better. I think I think frankly he's taking a better like zoomed out view of this than that.
Speaker 3: Only like, look, when your star player gets asked about the trade deadline and says anything, you're going to run it back up to the manager, right, like, hey, Bryce said this or whatever. Right, that's just because you're feeling out a column, right, like you're feeling out of story.
Speaker 2: If you think he should say that's up for that's for Dave to handle. Ultimately, I think you'd say, you know, I think the players should should want us to compete, and you know.
Speaker 3: Ultimately there's a million different ways to not say that.
Speaker 2: You can also just say it's up to Dave, right, Like I I think we are going to be competitive. I know we haven't been. I want him glad Our leadership feels the same way. It's up to Dave to make the call ultimately and where we can improve ourselves. Next question, right now, you know, yeah, well.
Speaker 3: We said I think we even said when they hired Maddingly as the interim, like there might come a time where it gets a little awkward because his son's the GM, right, And that's and again like I don't I don't know the exact day to day operational relationship here how much responsibility Dombrowski has versus how much you think?
Speaker 1: Just like when is business school over? When is Sam coming back?
Speaker 3: Like and like Dombrowski himself is not going to be there for ever either. I feel like now if they fall out of the playoffs, that might be it might be real, might be real short.
Speaker 1: But based on previous eras where.
Speaker 3: You know it's getting late, getting late, we're in the late era. Dombrowski just much less uh enjoyable than like the late period Ozu. Yeah, like I don't I guess the you know, the Marlins have kind of clawed themselves back into it, even though as we'll get to they seem to be more actively trying to sell. Now the Phillies are now tied with the Diamondbacks for like the second slash third wildcard spot and like not that far from they like they've really been dragged back to the pack now. Yeah, I mean I would have expected them to be aggressive buyers if they were still you know, eight or nine games over and you know, four or five clear. But now, like you know, it's it's time, like you can't mess around anymore. Like Brad Keller just had UCL surgery. He was gonna you know, I said, Dave Umbrelsa's got trade for a reliever or two anyway now might be a reliever for three. They need another, I don't feel bad. They need to starter, maybe a lot of Alan Rangal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think one of the weirder parts of it, too is the team.
Speaker 2: And I'm not necessarily expecting this would get in the way, but like the team that has many of these things is the Mets, and they are in the same division and I don't know that that's always a hurdle, but sometimes there is a little more friction on intradivisional stuff. So like, do I think it would have stopped them from acquiring Louis Robert, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think they might not They might not clay Homes, right, or if they have a similar offer from the Cubs or the White Sox and the Diamondbacks from clay Home for Clay Homes, they might take.
Speaker 1: Or or Luke Weaver or you know someone like that, especially cost control guys, like if the if the Mets are giving up guys free agent at the end of the year, what does it matter? Right like.
Speaker 2: Small, I don't think the Phillies would care on their side either.
Speaker 3: I don't care about this. I don't think David Sterns cares about this. But there is going to be because of the way this season's gone. If you hand the Phillies a player that like helps them make the playoffs or does, there's going to be like some backlash to because.
Speaker 1: We're not going to get what I'm saying, Like for Luis Robert, this is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think generally speaking, there's not it's it's there any you know, interdivisional or sorry, intradivisional like cost is minute, and I guess I think it gets overplayed. I do think there are situations where it does.
Speaker 1: It's just that little, that little this.
Speaker 3: Isn't like we're not going to trade sure there to the Mets, right, which was like a thing that happened, that's why and one of the reasons you going to LA that year, Like we're not going to trade max ers or to the Mets for whatever reason if we don't want them.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: But the other thing is like if you can get a good return, you're getting it from a division.
Speaker 3: But that then there's the problem return from the Phillies at this point if they're not going to trade what or rent which? Right, look they probably shouldn't frankly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything else we want to say about the Phillies. I mean, I it's it's we didn't talk as much about the game, but like there's there's not right Yeah, speaking of blowing massive leads, we have the Tigers versus the Orioles.
Speaker 3: Yes, another like interesting they found there's so many teams in the wildcard races, like always I watched.
Speaker 2: I watched this game. It was potentially Schooble's last start.
Speaker 1: Well, the way it went, it was it was full of meaning, right, It was pregnant with meaning because it meant a lot.
Speaker 2: To the Tigers where they were in their division. There was a lot of emotional import just based on Schooble being the guy to start it. And and just again like how much it's swung what they decided to do. The Orioles actually have this in a very similar position, right, Like.
Speaker 3: They meaningful series for both teams, right.
Speaker 2: And and it was meaningful for our podcast because Dean Kremer.
Speaker 1: Mount in this series now I I but it didn't matter to.
Speaker 2: The Orioles in terms of the standings and what they were going to do. And this started with a seven nothing lead for the Tigers and then it just.
Speaker 1: Fell apart. Yeah, which has been again the story of the Tigers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was similar to the Lozardo game where.
Speaker 1: They this this was into the seventh.
Speaker 3: They got to school a little bit.
Speaker 2: They got two outs in the in the seventh inning before the Orioles had a run.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Scooble ended up allowing three runs.
Speaker 3: Still up seven to three.
Speaker 1: We should still up seven to three. Three h Kyle Finnegan recorded zero outs. Yeah, drew Anderson through an inning and a third but gave up two runs. Ended up being seven to seven. They went back and forth in an extra in extras a little bit. It ends up being a ten to nine win for Baltimore, and and like you know, stup they won on like Colton Kowser got his fifth hit against the lefty this season.
Speaker 3: And like the thing is, the Tigers went back out the next day and one fourteen to not then, but also.
Speaker 1: No, this was yesterday.
Speaker 3: This was yesterday. Okay, they won the day before, right.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, the fourteenth game was the Dean Kremer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like they does swing it like you take two edit three from the Oriels, so his team that's ahead of you in the standings, right, It puts you in a position where maybe you can look, look, I think they're going to take this to Sunday anyway, I suspect jealous to see where they are. But you also, like as I mentioned the last show, if you decide to trade Schoogle, you have to trade Torres and myes too. So I don't know how far you can push this. The market.
Speaker 1: The market is taking this to Sunday. Means winning three or four more games. Yeah, and then they're fifty five and fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which but look that's in the race. Patricks.
Speaker 1: That was like it'd still be like three or four.
Speaker 3: Get know, and like Carpenter's hurt again they did call it Max Clark, which we'll get to. Yes, it would be very funny for them to do the twenty twenty four shit again where they trade everybody, call up whoever, like Troy Melton goes off, I mean the Troy Mountains already going off, but like Troy Melton and Kider Montario go off the rest of the year and they somehow sneak in.
Speaker 1: It would be funny.
Speaker 3: It would be funny.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh.
Speaker 3: And like this, it is weird to say this, but like one of the reasons I like the Tigers we talked about it is I thought they had an out for the Al Central too, but the White Sox just kind of keep doing it.
Speaker 1: Nothing, you just keep doing it.
Speaker 3: They came back against the Yankees, like they haven't played great recently, but they just keep doing enough to make it harder for the Tigers especially, but even the Guards and the Twins to catch them. Now they're going to play each other a bunch on the stretch, so that'll work out how it works out, But it does under the calculus here. I think for the the Tigers it is before we I just feel like I will say this for the last time, but like Craig Matching sort of the emotion and like what Scoople was meant to that franchise, and like the back backs I youngs and like why didn't they just try it harder to extend him?
Speaker 1: Like a great question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I understand the injury, the recent injury, the age, the amount of money and term he's got, Like I understand all that, right, but nothing you know, all the like all the salary camp discourse, like Jeff Passon says the more up about that this week, Like none of that is going to make the Tigers sign trek School based on what they offered him, right, Like he is still going to get paid a lot of money even in a cap.
Speaker 1: Well, I know, I well, if you I I don't. I don't know that I agree with that statement. If you take if if you think the owners get if based on their offer, right.
Speaker 3: I mean like the the bird rules and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess if they if they get limits to five year contracts with max per year and they I don't think that would happen cast or another.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with you, but if those circumstances came around, I do think it's like it changes.
Speaker 1: But but also those guys just demand like you look at the NBA. Yeah right, it's Yannis changed teams guys, you know, and just like engineered a trade like you don't you also still don't keep them right. You know, Trey Young is in DC. Yep, this happens, honest, is in Miami. You go down the list, they all right, But I don't know. I'm just thinking, like I don't know. I may write about this tonight. I don't know. But Terroristchable in Detroit and having this last start, there's some Randy Johnson vibes to me. The Mariners basically looked at Randy Johnson in ninety seven and or ninety eight and just said, this guy's probably good, but we don't want to risk it. And they won that trade, like the Astros did not lose that trade. The Astros got like basically perfect range Johnson.
Speaker 3: Ever, yeah, yeah, it might better than Randy Johnson. Need the being Yeah, i'd have to look. But that was if not like the best whatever was fifteen start run of his career, it was probably up.
Speaker 1: There, very up there. Also, the Mariners got an ace and a starting shortstop and a back end starter, and so like they can't feel bad about that trade, but also they can feel bad about the trade because Randy Johnson became the best pitcher in baseball.
Speaker 3: Right and they also like it wasn't just Randy Johnson around then too, right, Like it was Randy Johnson was the first sort of like we're not going to hold on to Johnson and Puner and a Rodd and Griffy forever. Right that.
Speaker 1: There, And the Marriers did manage to more than more than than it's halfened the school, but like the Mariners managed to poison that well, yeah, pretty badly with Randy. But like it just feels there when when the Mariners did trade Johnson, it just felt so demoralizing. Not even like in a small market big market kind of thing. Right, there's lots of teams that sell their players because they can't they theoretically can't afford them. This was just like we are not good enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah I was. It was a teenager on the other side of the country. Who basically, you know, it was nineteen ninety eight, so I was following baseball through whatever in the newspaper or the odd like whatever they said on Sports Center in the morning before I went to school, And there was still like, like I was very aware of the sort of relationship between Johnson and Seattle not going well, the implication that maybe Johnson was tanking a little bit because he was like he was not pitching as well as he could. Like that was out there, and like I was aware of it, and like, you know, a team I did not follow it all or had a particular access to.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, he was nearly a Dodger, Like three times every single trade got you know, leaked to the media. I guess, I guess what it feels. What's sad about it is it feels when you're a fan of a team like this, it feels like the team failed him. Right, Detroit should be good enough that they can't afford to trade Terrors Coople and they're not not good enough, like they.
Speaker 3: Sort of like it's a weird one because they kind of are, and I.
Speaker 2: Can't they they kind of are, but they shouldn't be. I mean again, as contrict said, like, this record should not be in it.
Speaker 1: It's just everyone's And also they're playing better than this record, right, Their pithea is actually fifty nine to fifty. Yeah, the Bulls been a problem. They're they've gotten massive holes from major.
Speaker 3: Spots, but they've also gotten like a Dylan Dingler MVP level season. McGonagall has come up and hit immediately. Troy Moulton and Casey May's have been great, Like.
Speaker 1: There's a lot's been good, right.
Speaker 3: Been Riley Green like and look there are like Labor's been fine. He's been banged up, but he's been fine. And yeah, like the corners haven't been great, right, you know Torklesen has been above it, like just not good enough for a first base, but he hasn't been terrible. He not good enough for first baseman. They've lacked outfield depth, but like it does feel like they should be better than they're cold. They should be buyers, right, they should be a five hundred at least at this point, and like in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a team shouldn't colapse just because will Vest isn't good anymore, right, Like that shouldn't be he should not be.
Speaker 3: Low bearing, right, they have not been able to find like they've generally done pretty well with like the pitching chaos, right and like right, and now they have like more or less five starters, right. I know one of them is kider Montero, who's fine, but like they haven't quite gotten the.
Speaker 2: Well Jack teen job is supposed to potentially be available.
Speaker 3: Well, like that's the thing like looking at it, Like I don't think like they're gonna trade Schooble and they're going to get a haul. Yeah, I don't think they'll be bad next year.
Speaker 1: No, I think they'll be pretty.
Speaker 3: Good next like the replacing Schooble, and that is like they're not able to do it.
Speaker 1: I think they need to.
Speaker 2: I mean everything should be looking towards twenty twenty seven. That doesn't mean you don't take a share away prospect, but like they they should still and I think they will be to be quite honest, like I think they will look to twenty twenty seven as another competitive year. I don't think this is is like a rebuild they I mean I think a lot invested.
Speaker 3: In sure and look if you're ready, this is like to bounce off the Phillips Mets discussion, like trade taxes. I think if you're them, Like I'm like, I think he's a better prospect anyway, but not significantly. So, like I'm I'm taking say your hope of Richard's ayah heartshorn just because I think he's closer to the majors, right mm hmmm in part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and they certainly have a place to play him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing that that I don't feel like I've heard enough about is that is really Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's had some he's had some blow ups, some real blow ups, right, Like sometimes he's just fine.
Speaker 1: It's when it says he's doing it more, he's doing it worse. Like his his dairy mindus is a hundred Yeah, No, I'm I'm with you. It's it's been right, I mean, but this is even when.
Speaker 2: He was good, it was like every when he was great, it was like every ninth star is a clunker.
Speaker 1: When he was good, it was.
Speaker 2: Like every seventh start, and now it's like every fifth start and it's like that's too much.
Speaker 1: Well, and like the sinker is just not a good pitch right now for him. He's the strikeouts are down and the ground balls are down.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it's Fromer has has a lot on his shoulders in terms of of where they are on this. Just to go back to Jeff's point about like why didn't do more? I agree with you, Jeff, And I think like this to me is sodo ish. Obviously, he wasn't three years away from being a free agent whatever. And I don't know that terror School is a Hall of Famer. I think he has a decent chance depending on how things go.
Speaker 1: Uh, but.
Speaker 2: This, this is like I think there should be. I don't mind being bloodless and ruthless about a lot of this stuff. I do think there is an underestimation of the value of like the guys who can.
Speaker 1: Get a statue outside the stadium. And I think if Trek School will stayed with the Tigers his entire career, you're talking about a guy who could get a statue outside of the stadium with that leg kick right, you can see it, you see it, you can.
Speaker 3: You know the Mets obviously, like severer was one of the best pictures of all time, but like the seeper like the knee drag and the bag on the statue and things like that, the same kind of you.
Speaker 1: Can see it. And I think that those enduring symbols matter, and not just to fans.
Speaker 2: I think they mattered to the franchise, like it matters to have the guys you can hang your hats on, uh historically, Ultimately, I think I'm not saying the front office doesn't even value it or whatever, but I just I think it gets undervalued in general, what those guys mean and what like. I understand the it is not cost efficient to invest in maybe someone with Schooble's profile, age all this stuff, depending on whatever his history of elbow issues, all of that stuff. I do, I one hundred percent get it. I think this should be a factor. On the other side. Now, maybe that factor doesn't outweigh all that other stuff, but I would be curious to hear if and how much a factor it is at all in weighing these kind of things, because again I do, I really I think that matters. It matters to me, It would matter to me, and I think it would matter to a lot of other people too. I don't know if it matters to the guy's making decisions elsewhere. In the wild card picture, Houston back from the dead, one game back in the division.
Speaker 1: I should note I'm sorry to report Patrick both, I think, oh it is. You're right, it is. They are fifty five to fifty five. They are one game back of the Guardians for the third one the AL I knew it was the Division. I was not as clear on the on the wild card. So one game back in both of those, Yeah, yeah, they are. They are. I'm still not sure how Hunter Brown down actually not that good lately. He did pitch seven scoreless his last start. He had not had a quality starting in a while before the rat It's it's Peter Lambert. Essentially, the answer is Peter Lamb.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, look, Jeremy Payne has been quite good for them nowadays. Healthy ord he's being ord on like. It's a pretty good lineup, frankly, and they're just doing enough to be one game under five hundred.
Speaker 1: It feels like they're giving up six runs a start every game. I mean.
Speaker 3: I did. Look, I mean the Angel scored three runs against him in the first ending last night. I'm like, that's not great, but I think they can. They can.
Speaker 1: They are playing the Angels, so they come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like. I still I still kind of think this team is gonna make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Tuts tutsya Amaya is bringing some from burd Valdez energy to his to his starts. If I'm just gonna run down his last five starts for everybody, I'm going to start further furthest back. Uh.
Speaker 2: Six innings, two hits, one walk, no earned runs, ten strikeouts.
Speaker 3: Good against the Tigers, and it's a good lineup.
Speaker 2: Let's start against the Twins. One in the third, four hits, five earned runs, five walks, two strikeouts against the Nationals a good lineup. Ye three and two thirds four hits, two earned runs, three walks, three strikeouts against the Marlins. Six innings, four hits, one earned on, three walks, eight strikeouts against the Angels two thirds of two earned runs, four walks, one strikeout. Yeah, you just it's truly, you do not know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: Ye doesn't matter who he's facing, no, does it. I mean.
Speaker 2: That's that is an incredible amount of inconsistency.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, weird team, weird team. It's just it's yourn and you know opinion. Friends, Yeah, yeah, very much friends at this point. Yeah, don't have many friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like four guys and Christian Walker. It's just it's just the guys who should be playing first base.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That one PM wild Card round White Sox White Sox Asteroid series is gonna hit hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh it is.
Speaker 3: It's also yeah, Pain has been quite good since he's been back again.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then, as Jeffrey mentioned, the Diamondbacks, uh are are very much in it. Yea in the they're tied for a wild card spot the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they also blew a huge lead to the Pirates, but did come back to win an extress.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sea Wall has been bumped.
Speaker 3: From the closer rule unclear who is here? Ye uh yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: This is the Diamondbacks more than other clubs in this range. I can squint and see it.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: Through like seven shoutout yesterday, so.
Speaker 2: In fact, one walking two strikeouts. Yeah, just keeps getting away with it, he does.
Speaker 1: I feel like every single one of these teams. I guess there's there's been some talk about right handed power. This deadline is there often is, But like I feel like every team we look at I bring it up a Baseball Reference and the DH has like a negative point five. Yes, like they just like every team is two hit or short.
Speaker 3: I mean I did. I obviously could not watch this game because I'm blacked out from Diambac's baseball, but I was following it once the Pirates came back, and obviously, you know, Jerry Triolo made a big error at extras and then Tyler Locklear made a big era and extras. I'm just kind of like, man, this is an important baseball game. Why is this an important baseball game? Why do I have to have game day open watching this? He's like keeping half an eye on it, like I should not have to care about these two teams, and like these two teams specifically with these records on July twenty eighth or whatever.
Speaker 1: Which is a good description of how I feel about Item two. Let's go there our second segment. Who they'd give up? Can't I can't talk who'd they give up? And who they get? We have a trade?
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 1: It's underwhelming.
Speaker 3: It's like it's underwhelming.
Speaker 1: I am annoyed by how much I hate this trade. Okay, I will I will say the players involved, and I will hand them Micro Patrick, Logan o'happy and Chase sil Seth. I'm never gonna like Chaseth as long as his name is that it's very struggling today.
Speaker 2: I apologize Chase sil Seth went from the Los Angeles Angels to the Texas Rangers for far away catching prospect prospect.
Speaker 3: It's the third Craig.
Speaker 1: I apologize, third baseman on hell Arodondo. Yes, all right, So look, I went through stages of grief going through this trade, because like, first of all, and grave isn't the right word. It's just like going straight to anger and then just different level instead of going to different stages. It was just like one kind of anger and then to a different kind of anger.
Speaker 3: So I do think it's important to note for uh Patrick's emotional processing of this trade that the first thing we got just was from Jeff Passon saying that self says, I don't Hoppy were going to the Rangers. We did not get to return immediately.
Speaker 1: And I wasn't sure there'd be one. Well, like, it's weird, so we'll talk about because I forgot in the first stage that Logan and Happy has options, yes, which changes this deal significantly because he's not a major league catcher.
Speaker 3: I mean it does it really change it significantly?
Speaker 1: Yes, because like the Angels could have just not made this trade, put a HOPI in the minor.
Speaker 3: I mean, they were probably tender him in the The.
Speaker 1: First reaction to this was the Rangers are going to play Logan and Happy, Like that's worse than not making a trade. He's terrible. He is like one of the worst players in baseball. He is a bad defensive catcher who cannot hit. Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: He keeps getting hurt. And they also I remember, I believe it was when they played the Dodgers, but like he just had been activated off of a maybe a broken wrist. Something happened to his wrist or his hand, and then he got hit directly in the wrist, and then they just didn't even take him out of the game. And then the next game he took the foul ball directly off the same hand, and they just left him in the game again.
Speaker 1: Right, they seem to not care about this guy at all. And and sure like he is hit in the past, his defensive value has erased that hitting in the past, like the good version of Logan Happy is a wash. And as for the Rangers, I'm like, well, there, if they're trying to win, they just added a player who will not help them win. Now, Chase Selsith will help them win. He is a sixth seventh inning guy.
Speaker 3: See, I think I will say this. I've seen a lot of Chase selfeth because they kept sending him or keeping him in Salt Lake for the last few years until they finally decided to just make him a you know, one to too winning reliever. I if I were a smart team, I would be targeting Chase s Seth and trying to stretch him back out as a starter. Not this year, but next year, Like he's got years control after this, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: Not this year but next year. Is a good summary of what Texas got in this trade, right.
Speaker 3: Like I also I also don't but the Rangers also need a seventh inning guy right now.
Speaker 1: Right, like you don't want yeah? Yeah, So they win the trade because of selth right, like just by himself. This is what because is interesting enough, Like he's missing.
Speaker 3: Off, he's young enough, there's still a lot.
Speaker 1: Of waits a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like it's a really good sweeper and split. I mean's always had a really good split. And like he's is hard enough. Fastball is not great, but he throws hard enough that you can kind of see and he's thrown a curve in the past. He's played around with a sinker this year, Like you can see it, kind of a pitch diversification, like like a Griffin canning ish kind of guy. Yeah, the Matt Griffin canning at the padre s Griffin canning for somebody like the Rangers could use that, right, the Rangers could use somebody who could be a little bit better than like Kumar Rock or a Jack Lader.
Speaker 1: Right, So unhappy being in this deal is mostly just to infuriate me, because like if you just made it still said for armed, I know you'd be like, okay, middle reliever for a.
Speaker 3: You know, all get into Rodondo.
Speaker 1: I'm essentially what the Rangers are basically like there if this is mc colors in the sense, right, although they get more time to think about it, right, they can put a happy in the minor leagues if they want, if they get an actual like hopefully they still get a catcher, right, right, and they can dropping in the minor leagues. They pay him two point six million this year, then they'll get to decide do I want to pay him two point eight million dollars next year because that's probably what it'll make a perpetration, and they can even non tender him where they can say yeah, we saw him though in these two months.
Speaker 3: I'm look, there's a chance you could get him back in a backup catcher kind of like power.
Speaker 2: I do think, like you said, two point eight, but he's I mean like they might just offer him two point.
Speaker 1: Five and be like take it, take it power, and he and he might they might offer him two point two, and I would if I were him, right, you know what I mean, like because because going intoarportration, I think the most they can offer is a twenty percent reduction. Nobody gets pay cut, right, nobody ever can happen. And they's played probably have a case for him.
Speaker 3: He's played enough this year. I don't think he's getting a pay cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think but they could. Well what I think is they could offer him a.
Speaker 3: Pay cut or non tender hit right or.
Speaker 1: Just non tender right. So yeah, so and then that's the Rangers time, which I don't like, but whatever, Like it's fine. I don't think it's worth it to do with HOPI I think he's just legitimately bad. But you know, yeah, you're paying You're paying a quarter a third of two point five million dollars to find out. Sure, okay, now you say, Angels side, there's no reason to do this. And by the way, read Genny's article, Yeah, Ginny, like I was. Ginny was like, I don't know if I want to write this because I might be mean. I was like, I can't imagine you being more.
Speaker 3: Mean, No, I know, like.
Speaker 1: The so the the old story about the Angels is they refused to play trade their players because they didn't want them to get better after they lived. That is still true, except now they're willing to Right, this is the lowest anybody has ever been sold.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean said has like a shiny e ra.
Speaker 1: It's not like he's no yeah no, but I mean as far as ohappy, right, you could just demote o'happy and you have a case for it, right, you have every reason in the world. It's just because he not only is he bad, he also didn't get enough time in Triple A when he was actual prospect. The Angels rushed.
Speaker 3: Him, right and like the guy they fired, like they just decided he was hurt, So you could have just optioned him for darnaut, right, It's like sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, It's the senselessness of it from the Angel standpoint is is just kind of insulting. There's it's it. I get why Jenny feels the way she does. It does feel spiteful more like and and Mosileum doesn't have any loyalty to these guys than not his guys. He's coming in, he's taking a fresh look, and he's cleaning the house. I'm not sure you want him to be cleaning house. He just seemed to be more interested in the job from reports, yes, than he was when he first moved in. But it just it doesn't feel like you it was worth the effort. I don't know, it's it's annoying me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, like I don't want to make too much over essentially nothing trade.
Speaker 1: Sure, and the other thing to be fair, if like there were three other trades yesterday, we wouldn't thigure, we wouldn't care. Yeah, it's just the only trade.
Speaker 2: Like I do you think when like at risk of disparaging on hell Aredondo? Like I do you think if you're if you're getting on held Aredondo in return for.
Speaker 1: Two guys, Like why Yeah, So it's just what's the motivation.
Speaker 2: I think the motivation to me is then like just it's clearing clearing sil Set's pretty menial.
Speaker 1: Like money, Yeah, like is that think?
Speaker 3: Look, but Mazzone isn't the only person. There's a lot of like.
Speaker 1: Sil Seth still Seth.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just looking for relievers, and I know he's not that good.
Speaker 3: I do think they just wanted to get rid of like they don't they they wanted these guys out of here. Yeah, and they found someone that would take both them at the same time. They got a prospect back that I'm man, I don't even know. I I've had several people gon me and b like there's actually like some interesting stuff here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I mean like Grant Grant Schiller wrote our our it wasn't I wasn't c A and he wrote A. You know, he files, he files me and like, you know, it wasn't bad.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. Also like he's a you know, he's he's only nineteen. Yeah, yeah, he's only slugging three ninety in the Carolina League. Like there's some interesting contact and approach and swing plane trades trades here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like again, I don't think he's an amazing might be top ten in the Angel system.
Speaker 1: Shut all right, are we We're done?
Speaker 4: On this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go to our third segment. Rumor has it the Cubs are interested in terror? So I did want I should have mentioned this. Well, while I'm gonna keep saying Arrek's school, Jared Sidler wrote for US today on the site, Uh, looking at the teams that are most often connected two school and what they have, you know, the most prominent names on their farm that that might be involved in a trade. I don't I edited the piece. I'm not the Cubs. I don't think we're one of the six teams he ran down.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the Cubs interests has just sort of come out in the last Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not blaming him.
Speaker 3: I'm just a ton to like it gives us right additional compared to other places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he he ran down just for for people interested the Dodgers, Phillies, Yankees, Braves, Rais and Brewers.
Speaker 2: I mean, what, what what do we want to say about the Cubs interest And I don't think they should they should be they should be.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they're beating a package from any of those six teams.
Speaker 2: Maybe, So who are the guys? Who are the guys who would essentially be on the table.
Speaker 3: Are we talking about with the Cubs or just in general Cubs. I mean, you probably have to make hearts aren't available. Because you don't make hearts aren't available, you're not beating any of these other teams out if they want to put like who is the the Cub's second best prospect is probably let me see, I've actually already kind of organized that lists because they're vaguely early. I'm I don't know, it's like it's one of Ethan Conrad Jackson, Wiggins, Jefferson Rojas or Owen Ayers, all of whom like might make the one on one.
Speaker 1: They're gonna they also have I guess he's hurt now, but you know Matt Shaw is surely mole Pedro Ramirez probably.
Speaker 3: Like again like not like yeah, but if the if the Dodgers, I AM pick one of our non post way to Paula outfielders, you're losing, right, you know. If the Brewers make Andrew Fisher available, they're probably losing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't think they'll make made Air pain You available. I mean if you if they do, you're definitely losing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, the Rays have a number of guys that are they don't. I only have Gillan that's better than Haff than Heartshorn. But they can put together, you know, a three player package that's probably better than what the Cubs can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, even the Phillies if if they're willing to put wood yeah out there.
Speaker 3: They say that, they keep saying they're not wanting to put wood rentery in deals. But terror Scuball might be an exception to that, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Uh, I'm sure. And the Yankees he lists kill the Hesse and Jones, yep.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't like they could make Lombard available there sure if.
Speaker 1: The Boss he mentions, but he's not.
Speaker 3: I don't think they'll trade him. But it's difficult to judge school Rental. Right, is Hartman about about the same as hearts worn? I would say, But again, the Braves have more. I mean, I guess you go down the Braves list, it's it's a similar grouping to what I just gave for the Cubs, with South the Scene and uh Essenberg and Murphy kean Edy, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and the Rays. I mean even beyond Gillan, you know Kaden Bodine, who they got.
Speaker 1: From the Orioles for.
Speaker 3: A very nice season. I don't know if they need to catch her, but.
Speaker 1: Has had a really nice season.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, Nathan Fluellen. Again, I don't know they need to catch But do.
Speaker 1: You know how to say Gray's first name? And I always screw it up?
Speaker 3: Titan, It is just tightening. Yeah, he's just off the I l but yeah, he's another guy that could be. But I like what it really comes down to is, you know, if the Dodgers want to put anything on the table here, like it's such a deep system, like the only one they can really compete with them is the Brewers. I think the Brewers will just have less of the stomach for trading significant prospect capital for Drek Scruble. Yeah, what are the realistically, what are the Dodgers really going to do long term with Zayer Hope and Edward Ocntaro.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's the interesting part that Jared got into in this is they Well, so what they're going to do is at least what they've publicly said is mentioned, is trade one of those guys for a different.
Speaker 3: Positional hitching prospect and field prospect, whatever you are, something that's.
Speaker 1: Not an outfielder. Because they have Andy Payes in center who's a good center fielder, who's hitting enough to be a very valuable player. They have Kyle Tucker too.
Speaker 3: They're going to keep playing, right, I feel.
Speaker 1: To who they're going to keep playing.
Speaker 2: And that's at least for next year and probably for for more years the way things are going. Uh, they have Tascar Hernandez through next season. Right, that's their outfield at the major league level. Then they have Sarota, Hope, Cantaro, Depaula, Depaula. They said they're not moving right. They have James Timms who can stand in a corner.
Speaker 3: They have I mean like being Charles Davilon. I know Kendall George is out for the season with the injury.
Speaker 1: Eyes he was he was getting back. Yeah, I don't think he's out for the season. He's but he was.
Speaker 2: He missed a lot of time. I don't know if he's back yet, but he's right. They have Kendall George and it's a lot of it's it's a lot of They could consolidate, is what we're saying. And not only can they consolidate, they can give up one of these guys for two months.
Speaker 3: Of right, that's they It's almost three pitcher in Baseball, It is probably easier to make this trade than find a prospect for a prospect trade with the team you like that will also make a prospect for prospect trade with you, Right. I think it's just it's simplified things, right. Like, I think their intention probably when they said that was to do that, or to attempt to do that. They weren't really with where their rotation was at the time. They're like, it's not it's really guilting, not that they aren't capable of doing, but it's really guilding the lily. But now, like for them, is Snell gonna be able to make a playoff start for them? Is Glass now gonna be able to make a playoff start for them?
Speaker 1: Right? Snell?
Speaker 2: Snell has thrown three innings this year. Yeah, uh last Snow is starting to ramp up. They said he could start a rehab assignment. Yeah, if he you know, checks off some boxes in the next week or so. Shoho Tani has a knee issue that they don't want impacting his They don't want him over compensating, which is why he's not throwing. He has a biceps issue that they said he would pitch through if his knee was fine, which you know, okay, so again that puts they say he should be back. They've said a lot of things on timelines and missed those.
Speaker 3: And when Dodgers love to lie, Craig.
Speaker 2: They do love to lie. When when I saw the you know, the reporting yesterday saying you know he would be pitching through this he's basically we expect him to be ready, YadA, YadA, YadA, My view was, you know, use the translation machine. You're not going to extort us for a picture, right. It was essentially like what and you know, Justin Robleski has passed his his innings study through last year. Maybe that matters, Maybe it doesn't. Right now starting a playoff and you starting in the second playoff game.
Speaker 3: For starting the third one, well, actually I guess.
Speaker 1: It depends if you get good rookie Sasaki. Oh I think I think at this point, just based on the last two starts, Sasaki is ahead.
Speaker 2: Of she has been pretty bad. You could maybe slot uh Sasaki in the head of h bless he even if you think he's on a good run.
Speaker 1: But who knows with him? I mean, look, it's a lot likely, It's a lot of questions.
Speaker 3: Look, it is likely at least one of snell Otani and Glass now will be ready for the playoffs.
Speaker 2: But I would agree it's also possible. You know, River Ryan's been out with a hamstring injury. He's alway there's some there's always some injury with him, but it's possible he could make.
Speaker 3: But also, like the as good as the prospect you are trading for Trek Scouble, it's just not as valuable to you as it might be to another team. That's right, Yeah, Now, look is this good for the discourse heading into a CBA and go? I would honestly dread it, schooble, And then when it I would.
Speaker 1: Honestly dread it. I think it would be miserable.
Speaker 3: But like the Dodgers can't consider that, right you just known I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think they should care. It would just as as a consumer of the sport. And look, I'm not I understand people know, I'm a Dodgers fan. Whatever, I'm not sure it would be good for the sport for them to do. But like someone should be willing to come close enough to be.
Speaker 3: To be right, that's the thing, right, A salary cap is not changing the Dodgers' ability to find the guys, right, Yeah, yeah, the Brewers have better prospects than the Dodgers here to offer, they should be more inclined to. They haven't won anything. Literally, they have not gotten there.
Speaker 1: Since nineteen eighty two. Oh, I know. I had a long argument on the about the Central Divisions. Sure, it's been nineteen eighty two since they've been in the World Series. Now, look, they got against the Dodgers to a Game seven in the NLCS. Like, it's not that they haven't been good enough to get there. The playoffs are they are what they are. They are what they are. We started this about the Cubs. I don't know. I mean, look, the Cubs.
Speaker 2: I thought way back when we first started talking about whether school could be traded based on the Tigers start to the season, I thought the Cubs were maybe the team that made the most sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, they still have the ability to put a package together here that might be better than these other teams packages, depending on what they're actually I got the Raves and the Braves and the Brewers really gonna push their chips in here. I believe the Cubs would be more willing to But again, I don't know. Again, it's it's the Dodgers are always lurking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I understand. It's annoying. Yeah for everybody.
Speaker 3: Get good as the kids it is, yeah, get good exactly.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere. I guess I could have done a smoother transition on this coming off the Angels trade. But there's a lot of interest in zach Neto. Yes, as zach net is a good player. Ye, I keep I keep seeing the Dodgers mentioned for zach Netto. I heard it. I think Passing mentioned it on one of his hits. I don't what am I missing. It's just easy to mention them. It's not the Phillies, which I think is interesting. Phillies do make sense to me. It would be you want to talk about again, potentially upsetting personalities in the if if Trey Turner was willing to play center field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he should already be. He would already playing center field.
Speaker 1: I suspect, well, yes, but you know again, sometimes guys change for a playoff push for you know whatever. He's obviously had some high profile mistakes.
Speaker 3: Is not just for a playoff push. He's got three years of control, I.
Speaker 1: Know, I know, but in the time, So, if trade Turner is willing to go to that now. I understand that part of the problem with Tree Turners is back. But if he's willing to go play center field, you get Zach Netto, you improve the defense and the offense, right, I think I understand that there are hurdles, but I understand it. I for the Dodgers, you're not moving Mookie, I would bet I wouldn't assume.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Netto could play third for you, but you always already have Munsey there and.
Speaker 2: Monce he's a good third baseman now, yeah, and second base has been their whole.
Speaker 1: But Edmund is back. I just don't know. I don't know where. I don't. I've seen it a few times and I haven't really been able to make sense of it. I don't It doesn't uh, but Boston, we talked about Philly, any anyone else I'm missing in on this.
Speaker 3: Who Atlanta should probably he had.
Speaker 1: At Atlanta definitely should be a I mean, yeah, Taylor Walls his just it's hard to imagine not upgrading for Taylor Walls. But I mean if just the defensive there, they you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, So the other thing here is like low key Netto should probably move off shortstop now he's not a very good one anymore. He has the arm strength for third. Do you playing second too?
Speaker 1: You know, the race could use him at second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's like, you know, options here. He's still a very good hitter, although he's becoming a much more extreme version of himself. Where he has gone. It's very funny because he hit four hundred in college and people wondered how much power there's going to be, And now he's like a super optimized Poland left guy who doesn't hit the ball incredibly hard, but it's the heart and like has maintained enough stone contact. He's chasing way more this year, which is why his strikeouts have gone up. But I mean, I suppect he's also seeing fewer strikes in that Angel's lineup right now might be part of it as well. But he's going to be like a two point fifty hitter with walks and power that can be playably below average at short and possibly good at third or second with a lot of control. Like that's going to bring back a lot from somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I you know, I'm trying to think outside the box. Like it doesn't seem like something the Pirates would do, but they need a backfill for I know they got Jacob Gonzales.
Speaker 3: Saying Jacob Gonzalez isn't acceptable as they starting shorts up the rest of the way. Craig, Yeah, but also like he he also has you can play him elsewhere, right, you can play them elsewhere.
Speaker 2: No, but I just mean Neto has the team control that would be meaningful to Putberg over.
Speaker 1: The next run. Sure, would you like to know what Gonzales, what's up?
Speaker 3: What Jacob and Zalez is hitting for the Pirates so far?
Speaker 1: Greg?
Speaker 3: I sure, I don't know two twenty six to twenty six four fifty two mm.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, okay, yeah, sure, I think that's about right. I think it would just be interesting. Like I said to me, that's outside the box. The Yankees, I think we also mentioned last time, should be interested in Zach now. Yeah, and there are no third basemen really on the market either, which makes you know the the Yankees could try trading for a third baseman that isn't on the edge of death, just as a just a fun change of pace. Yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I I think I am curious what the what the package would be for this because of the years of control. But if the Angels did do a full teardown of trading netto debt, Maurs and Soriano. We have pretty well, assuming.
Speaker 3: We have some we have some breaking news that might affect the trade deadline. Okay, Sea McClanahan has left in the fourth inning with the athletic trainer.
Speaker 1: This is, of course, this is my concern, right, and I'm not This is not a victory lap. It sucks. It sucks, But that is that when I have said over all time that the Rays are fraudulent, it's a combination of they have three hitters and two I can't get to Nick Martinez two really good pictures, and the two really good pictures are that's seventeen arm surgeries between them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I mean Nick Martinez. Maybe I'll just have to accept that Nick Martinez is Edward Roger. Yeah, the American leaguage water rudgery. Cause but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: The market the very I thought, I thoughts, well, yeah, the Marlins are open to sell. Yeah, Liam Hicks has been apparently put on the market. Hicks. I mean, if you know Hicks catches, there's a few places he could go. There's a lot of teams, a lot of contending teams that could use a catcher otherwise, Like he's it's it. I have a hard time. Like they're saying they're willing to sell like long term pieces right there, which means they're interesting. They're they'd be willing to sell Savior Edwards and be willing to sell out a Lopez. I don't get it, Like, if you're trading those guys, what are you building for?
Speaker 3: I just mean that's been the question with the Marlins for I know, and.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is like this is the point where the veil gets lifted of being like they have to ye have to behave like a real team and a real team thing is like.
Speaker 3: It's a it's very stark because they don't have it. Like if our cat's been hurt a bunch this year with their first round pick last year, middle indfielder some sort, I mean might end but third, but they need a third basement too, uh Like but like if you trade at a Lopez and or Xavier Edwards, there's not really any internal backfill and like, yeah, you'll get really good prospects back. You might even get middle and field prospects back. That might be some days is a mystery box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so trade fine, But like I don't think the Marlin should sell anybody else, don't.
Speaker 3: I think Liam Hicks is an interesting person. Number of like that might be a true that's like kind of the Curtis Mead, right, Like he's been better for longer than Curtis meat. But it's like we got this guy as a rule five pick. We don't really want him to catch that much. Like he's a good hitter. A lot of teams weren't going to want the you know, they they'll find places to start him obviously, but like he's got some you can play first base, right, you can, he can catch it.
Speaker 1: I do wonder if that's not And they've made a lot of trades historically with the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Yankees are looking at catcher, not necessarily a full time catcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's kind of duplicated with Ben Rice.
Speaker 1: Is the problem, right because he's like every other Yeah, he's left, well, no, I know he is. But you know, additionally, if you complete the right catcher and first base, yea not necessarily a bad thing. He's under. He's under. He's got three and a half years left. Yeah, I just don't see what you've got. I don't know. I don't like it. I get they'll do it. Yeah, they'll do it. I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really change.
Speaker 1: I do think trading on contra makes sense. I think if you could get something, if people are hungry enough for Pete Fairbanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, and they've got other relievers they can.
Speaker 2: Even if you just want to offload the money. You don't have to get something back if you can get him off your budget and go find you because look, he just didn't.
Speaker 1: Work out the way you want it.
Speaker 2: But I think you can offload the budget and take a crack at the next guy and hope it works out better. The Cardinals are trying to trade Dustin May. We've known this since they signed Dustin.
Speaker 3: He did nice, nicely enough for them. He did have a very nice start as what will be his last start before the deadline.
Speaker 1: So they should be able to trade Dustin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll get something. They might even get I mean, I don't think it'll be James Tips this time around, but they'll they'll get something for him. Like he's he'll still pop a model to a certain extent, like he hasn't even been you know, he's been something like a league average pitcher this year, I guess a little bit below and there just aren't that many pictures Like he's going to go to a second toier team that just needs innings, right, yep.
Speaker 1: Do you think this is Quinn Matthews times time? If once he gets stout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they might, they don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been If you look at the full season for Matthews, it's been not great. It's been very up and very down.
Speaker 2: His last four starts, he's gone at least six, he's gone seven and two of them seven strikeouts, three walks.
Speaker 1: He's still walking too many guys, But there's if you want to believe a corner has been turned there just at.
Speaker 3: Some point you just have to call him up and ye have him figure out shit in the majors.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just think you know, he's been relative the most he's walked his three in over his last first starts.
Speaker 3: Right, and like low key to here, you're gonna they're already kind of fading if he doesn't pitch well and you fade more, you like improve your draft pick.
Speaker 1: To right, Like right, it's not the end of the world. Yeah, Like just looking at.
Speaker 3: His metrics, like it's still a really like it's still a really good fastball. Yeah, the fastball trades are totally good. He's held most of the velocity and he's getting.
Speaker 1: Very good six and seven in.
Speaker 3: Like there's there's like again, Like he's getting good swinging striker rates on his slider and change have both been Like the change especially good pitches for him and the look, if you can.
Speaker 1: Get something for May and backfill him with Matthews, you might not be in much of a different situation now that he's not in the playoffs, and that's probably not the end of the world to them.
Speaker 3: But he's a lefty thrown at zero four slider up to eighty nine, like there's yeah, there's there's stuff here, Like again, it's it been up and down for almost his entire pro career at this point, since he got the velocity jumped. But yeah, I mean part of the premium is like, guys just aren't Guys aren't swinging at his fastball because they do not have to basically, right, But it's a good basketball when you can locate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, why don't we take a break and come back with the rest of the show. Welcome back to episode five hundred and sixty seven of five dive were on our fourth segment going around the Horn. Jeffrey mentioned it earlier, but the Tigers, perhaps to soften the blow that is to come, have finally made a move to address their outfield.
Speaker 1: They're calling up Max Clark.
Speaker 3: A very weird time to do it.
Speaker 1: It is a weird time to do it.
Speaker 3: They won't really, they'd say they're like two weeks away from retaining his prospect eligibility and PPI eligibility for next year. Obviously they're going to get a pick with McGonagall, but you might as well get greedy and get another one. And they probably could have used him like six weeks ago, and they were trying to make a push give him the rest of that. Like, I don't think a ton has changed here. Like, I know, he like just started in Triple A this year, right, so you maybe wanted to get him a certain number of it bats. I don't think that number is like three hundred.
Speaker 2: He's had four hundred eighteen played appearances. Yeah, this year he had only had forty three games at Double A.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he hit, Like, I don't think they need to sent him back to Double A. It's not what he did.
Speaker 1: No, No, he had closer than.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred ops. He has an eight hundred ops at triple A. This is not a guy's tarrying the cover.
Speaker 1: Off the ball. No.
Speaker 3: Again, his underlying metrics.
Speaker 1: Here are a lot. Yeah, he's only twenty one.
Speaker 3: It's only twenty one. He's like he's still you know, the contacts over ninety percent. He's not whiffing at off speed or velocity. His you know, his exit damage rates are like solid their average, but they're like their average. Yeah, if you throw then with the speed and defense and center, like, that's a very very nice player.
Speaker 1: Yes it is.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to integrate the overall profile. I just meant like it's it's also not like he was hitten to a nine fifty ops. No he was, and they weren't calling him up.
Speaker 1: But it's also he plays at Toledo, which is not sure. You know a lot of these Triple A parks are look, I think, yeah, high octane environments. It's Toledo is not so much.
Speaker 3: I think the best version of Max Clark is something like two eighty three fifty four to twenty right, Like it's not going to be a ton of power, but yeah, but you put that with the plus or better center field defense, like that'll play. That's better than when seal Perez as much as I like when Seal Perez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm excited to see him. It is it's odd timing. It is odd timing a number of reasons. Curtage me just to update his injury. It turns out it was a fracture. I think they initially said X rays negative. Additional x rays positive, negative news positive for a break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he will. He's not getting sergery. He could theoretically be back before the end of the season.
Speaker 1: But six six to eight ish weeks. This is a good time, by the way, to men eight weeks. Sorry, it's a good time to be out six eight weeks because there's eight weeks till the playoffs. No.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, Patrick, if you wanted to to advertise Robin Mains and Derek Rhodes article, Yes, today and tool that exists on a standing page, we.
Speaker 1: Have we have released a new tool called the what is it called, It's called the Injured List Triage Visualization. So essentially what you can do. We have it as a tool on our our website. Yes, it is on the recovery dashboard the Recovery Dashboard page. Essentially, what you can do is you can look up injuries instead of looking at players. Before you could look up a player and see it all the times he got hurt. Now you can look up all the hurt and see all the players. And this is really useful for going like, oh, this guy suffered this injury, how bad is that going to be? And you can look and see everyone who has suffered that injury and the recovery time. It's been by quintiles. I believe there's there's.
Speaker 2: Also there's an average of days miss, there's a median days miss, and then there are percentiles. There's the twenty fifth percentile on seventy fifth percentile to give you a sense.
Speaker 1: Of the range exactly. So you can say, oh, well, you know, you know a hamdmate bone, how how long am I going to be without this picture this player? You can just search that and see, okay, well, generally you know your average is this you're you know, it's a great tool that's gonna be very cool. So it's very well laid out, very visual, So if you're interested, go take a look. You can also been by picture there's a lot of overlap with the recovery dashboard, which is why it's on the same page. But for example, if I look up.
Speaker 2: The injury description location, which is rist, and then the type of injury, which is a fracture or break, the average days missed is forty five. We have the sample size is nine in ours. It covers what going back to twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: The median days miss also forty five, and at most the seventy fifth percentile sixty. The twenty fifth percentile is thirty eight, so you're really like forty five the twenty fifth percentile is thirty eight. You're not really coming back in less than a month, right, So you just get a sense of all this. You also can see there's a chart that shows what percentage of the injuries are season ending and when they occurred. So there's a percentage that's season ending in June, for example, and it obviously increases the later you.
Speaker 1: Get in the season. And you can you can see who who they are. You know, which which hitters based on these little dots show you you know what season they occurred and which hitters they are. Stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty useful tool anyway, bad news for Curtis me, it's bad news for the Red Sox.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else to say. I guess they're back in the market for a right handed bat. Yeah, yeah, probably, maybe they're more interested in zach Netto. Now, I don't know. The Cubs decided it was time to move on from Jamison Tyne.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I can't really argue with that.
Speaker 1: I can't really argue with it. See.
Speaker 3: I think it was like a J. Persinski might have said on Pell Territory, like he doesn't understand this because he gives you innings. Yeah, that's the problem right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, it's a little bit of logan o hoppy right, It's like you can play them, but why Like that's the bad part is actually playing only only one. He is basically giving up a home run every three innings, not like exactly. Only one pitcher in baseball history has thrown more innings in a season with a home run rate that high.
Speaker 3: It's got to be someone off the two thousand and eighteen Orioles.
Speaker 1: That is correct.
Speaker 3: Wow, they played as a team, they gave up like one point nine home runs right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's see what was his name. It was uh, David Hess it was the other hats.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, yeah, David, I know you know it was over too. But he wasn't the worst one on the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. It was his rookie season. Yeah yeah, pretty bad. Yeah. So yeah, you know the reason, the reason, And look, this is not a good reason to keep him. This was the right move. I have no problem with it. But the reason, I mean, like it sounded like he was absolute clubhouse glue.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they'll be fine, but I think he was much beloved. But but you know they've got the same business of getting better at this point. Yeah, Byron Buxton, he's no, I apologize. I thought he was already out, was he not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is on the IL now. Yes, No, he had come left the game. He had left the game, Okay, and now yeah with a yeah, with a back something and you gonna have a hip impingement.
Speaker 1: Yeah he had left. I think what happened? Or no he would he can't just returned from I had missed the activity. We can use it once it loads the baseball perspective, Isle.
Speaker 3: Ledger, Look, I don't think Byron Buxton is a median anything when it comes to injuries.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about just like you can look at his uh yeah, he was out from July sixth to July twentieth with a hip strain. Okay, and now he is back on the ale with essentially a hip strain. I have impingement. Okay. Yeah, yeah, it's just good.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 1: The problem the SA think for the Twins is that this is not a situation where they can just take their time with him. They they the playoff, the chances an active buyer in Buckston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's fascinating because I think everything about the Twins says they should be sellers except the guy who took When we took a it's so funny to go back to when this like change within the family happened, and I do remember our reaction being like probably not that big a deal whatever, Except the guy who's taken over is just like fuck it.
Speaker 1: We're like we're going We're going for it. And so I think it is making an actual difference ultimately, So we'll see, we'll see what they do with that.
Speaker 3: I mean, the other reason to be buyers is there a game and a half out of a playoffs?
Speaker 2: Fine, No, No, I know, but I think this is generally the way, just the way things have gone for the Twinings and the trajectory and stuff like that. Is even at a game and a half out, it feels like they would they would normally sell. Yeah, but I think the difference with the governor in this case, the difference in pol As is.
Speaker 1: He wants to go for it. Yeah, and I don't think I think it's viable. I don't think that's it. I'm not saying it's a bad choice. I'm just saying it's a different choice than I think they would otherwise make.
Speaker 3: They have holes they can fill.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, Clement's career very weird, very weird.
Speaker 3: Like they could use a god. They're still playing interest in Gray at short stop.
Speaker 1: Huh Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Austin Martin has settled into exactly what you would expect. Yep, sure set into as well. Yeah, Like I don't like Lukeashall is up to almost uh league average hittor.
Speaker 1: He's recovering recovery was ugly for quite a while, it really was.
Speaker 3: He is, Let's do some Lukeashall splits. I know this show is already running along, but yeah, let's let's really a thirty six ops. This last twenty eight days.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there you go. That's that's the lukeashall I expect. Yeah, and that's one is So the next island is the one that got me on the Buckston. This already happened. We discussed Brad Keller going yeah episodes ago. I feel like every single episode since we have told talked about getting the surgery.
Speaker 3: It's like he's going to miss next season. They obviously signed a two year deal. This is not like it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I also, I do think in light of the Phillies Bullpen just imploding once again, it's worth mentioning.
Speaker 1: But he is, Yes, he's out. Uh.
Speaker 3: And then Jeffrey the Mets announced this morning they.
Speaker 1: Have gross Yes, bleak, this is bleak.
Speaker 3: Did you see the name of the I did? I didn't clock it?
Speaker 1: Every single thing, every single thing about this so they have.
Speaker 3: The Mets now have a prediction market file. It is not Coshy or polymarket. It's something called no Big I wonder and apparently they got hooked up.
Speaker 1: When can we go back to when something called would just be a medication? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I apparently Steve cohen Son met the Novig founder at a UFC event in New York City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything, Jeff, Jeff saying sentences.
Speaker 3: I also note that no Big is not legal in the state of New York.
Speaker 2: I'm just getting these are just body blows. Speaking of UFC, I'm getting beat up by every single sentence.
Speaker 3: You're doing the bass root and liver kick over and over again.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 3: Just you don't have to do this. I know it's mine have to, but you don't have to do You don't really need it, Jeff.
Speaker 1: You just don't need it.
Speaker 3: It's like you extremely don't need It's not that I don't know what the official prediction market of the New York Mets actually means. I think it's going to be like the pre game.
Speaker 1: Market. It's going to make me vomit. It's a book. It's like it's just stopping. It's just gamblished. I like, no one wants everyone. Everyone reacted as you'd expected this. I don't even think the customers want this. I feel like the people who are going to use this product are just like, oh God, my weaknesses has been exploited.
Speaker 3: And I will say what I this is not an original idea, and I'm not particularly anti sports gambling, right, large, but you should have to go to your local bookie or like an o TV to do it.
Speaker 1: There needs to be way more friction.
Speaker 3: You should have to go to a room where smoking is still allowed indoors, and the.
Speaker 2: Entire process should make you feel bad. There needs to be way more friction.
Speaker 1: All right. That brings the story to our game. Please don't, please, don't do prediction markets on our gams. Please speak all right. So this this game is called this is forty This is supplied by Colin Winchard. Thank you, Colin, he says, uh in honor of Craig's fortieth birthday. You know, we missed it essentially the day before. You can celebrate it all years. We can do it forty eight. But this be a shorter list. Uh So what all you have to do? I'm going to name a team and you were going to tell me. You guys each get a guess of who you think the last player to hit forty home ons for that team?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I thought it was gonna be forty years old.
Speaker 4: That would yeah, yeah, you think Rich the number Rich, Rich, Bernanda Rodney, Carlos Santana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So do we want to do the booth first, so that you guys can Yeah, let's do the bo Let's do the booth for this. Since there's been some cons lock lately yabout guesses, that's fine, that's fine, that's fine. What's the conflict about our guesses? I've thought you some people going in first, there's some.
Speaker 3: People going first.
Speaker 2: You gave him Jacob Mezerowski twice.
Speaker 1: Now I'm giving no one anything. Okay, get in the booth. I'm out. Jeff's going first, just going first? Sure, all right, So what's gonna happen. I'm gonna give you one guess, and then if you get it wrong, I will give you the year and you get one more guess. You get five points. You know, I'm gonna you get one hundred points if you get it on the first try. Yeah, it's just it sounds better because I'm just multiple.
Speaker 3: I got like four hundred and fifty points.
Speaker 1: So you get a hundred points if you get on the first guests and you get fifty guess. If you get out fifty points, get on the second guess. All right, So the first one in the Chicago Cups, who's the last player? They had forty home owns for the Chicago Cups.
Speaker 3: Ah, what are you such a two? There's somebody want Chris Bryant.
Speaker 1: The year is two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Okay, then I'm gonna go with Derek Lee all right.
Speaker 1: Uh. Next the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: Uh, Paul Goldschmidt.
Speaker 1: The year is two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Further back then again two Jesus, the two thousand and nine Like, what would I even remember about the two thousand and nine Diamondbacks. H it's not there. I think they were.
Speaker 1: Decent backer.
Speaker 3: Jesus the hell was on the two thousand and nine Diamondbacks?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fine? Uh, I think he was retired And it's not gonna Gonsales move on, move on, We'll move on.
Speaker 1: I'll say Gonzalez is your guess? Is right? The Baltimore Oriols Chris Davis twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Four, Okay, I should that's very recent, very shockingly reason.
Speaker 1: Do you? Uh?
Speaker 3: Gunner Henderson?
Speaker 1: Okay? And Cincinnati Rents?
Speaker 3: Are you honey out Suarez?
Speaker 1: The Minnesota Twins, Hey, I got one. Hey, it's your congratulations.
Speaker 3: Yes, Minnesota Twins. Wow, like nobody in the history of the franchise.
Speaker 1: That's the padres which we have. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 1: Okay, m h.
Speaker 3: Nelson Cruz.
Speaker 1: The Athletics.
Speaker 3: Yeah forgot he played the Twins until like just then. It just can't be uh Athletics.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is like.
Speaker 3: I'm cursing playoff games to get there. I don't think Langler said forty. So I'm going to say Chris.
Speaker 1: Davis, Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 3: So I know I'm I'm making a like I'm starting when it's not the Dino Ucks. I'm making a little run.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh Chicago White Sox. Okay, how many?
Speaker 1: I'm like those.
Speaker 3: Nineteen and twenty the LaRussa era teams. It's a small park. I don't think they had anyone hit forty on those teams. I'm going to say, mm hm, Germaine.
Speaker 1: Die here's two twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's after Jermaine dive of before. So it's like and they sold like Adam Eaton and stuff. It's like a again an error I should remember pretty well, you think. But like, also, who is on the White Sox then? Uh A brave you?
Speaker 1: Okay? Uh?
Speaker 3: The Cleveland, the Cleveland? Okay, who's here?
Speaker 1: Mares yours? Two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: Okay, forty home two thousand and six, two thousand and six. True a pronc. We'll what what's happen?
Speaker 1: Mmay the Boston Red Sox. We'll hand it to con This is.
Speaker 3: A good, goodlett.
Speaker 1: The teams.
Speaker 3: Tease didn't retire that long ago, But it would kind of be a weird one if.
Speaker 1: I hadn't.
Speaker 3: Said that's hit forty that year, Say Mookie Bets twenty eighteen, Say David Orties.
Speaker 1: Pittsburgh Pirates.
Speaker 3: God, yeah, uh, there's gotta be one that's just gonna be like the seventies, And this might be the one I don't like. I don't think Bonds went forty forty for them. Is there some like random Pirates power hitter in there? I'm forgetting. I will say Barry Bonds.
Speaker 1: Here was nineteen seventy three, Dave Parker.
Speaker 3: All right, I knew it was gonna I knew it was gonna be I thought it might be went first, But yeah, it might not be it. It might be somebody else, But all right, Craig scored to be this four hundred.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means. So the way the system works, I'm going to give you a team. You've got to tell me the name. Yeah, if you get the name wrong on the first cast, I'll give you a year if you get it right on the first guest, it's one hundred points. If you get this right on the second guess, it's worth fifty points. All right? How many? How many teams? There are nine teams? I think four or five, six, seven, eight, nine? Ten teams? There are ten teams? All right, So let's start with the Chicago Cups. It was the last player to hit forty home runs for the Chicago Cups. It's a interesting question why it's. I mean, like, the first name that comes up to me is Sosa, But I'm trying to think I would have hit forty in between. I don't Schwerber wasn't hitting like this for them? I don't. I don't think Rizzo like the Rizzo Bryant did bias? Did Bias hit forty? Possible? I'm sure I'm missing some really obvious ones.
Speaker 3: I I uh, I knownics. Craig's not getting a clock.
Speaker 1: Soran uh. Sure, I'm gonna say how your bias to start? We'll see where the year is, two thousand and five five? Okay? So hm oh? Was that derekly did Lead hit forty? Let's go with Directly the amazing for two thousand and five seasons. Uh, fifty points for each of you. By the way. Uh your first guess, Jeff, was Brian Briant hit thirty nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I am a My first thought was actual either Directly or mister Mairez, And then I remember Bryant. I thought maybe the m v P year are going to get upset.
Speaker 1: Arizona Diamondbacks, Arizona. Okay, So I had just been thinking about this. Look, I I couldn't really hear you guys at all, but I've been I just looked at Standy's and was like, what are some themes that I might not Honestly, the name that keeps coming out to me is Mark Reynolds, Mark Renolds, What are you going with? Mark? Yeah? I think I will points. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I completely blanked. I mean I did.
Speaker 1: I don't blame me, but I think I just not being in the you know, being in.
Speaker 3: The When he gave me the year of two thousand and nine, I'm like, who the fuck was on the two thousand?
Speaker 1: Honestly asked me what year it was? I would than a five year. I like, all right, Baltimore Orioles. Okay. So off the top of my head, Chris Davis, Susan Davis. Why don't she's I'm gonna think.
Speaker 3: I know I was a clock, but he can let him go through this process.
Speaker 1: Was Who's who's been a guy? Obviously Gunner didn't do it. Uh, yeah, you know what, let's let's just start. I'm in the interest of keeping things moving along. It was Chris Davis. The year is twenty twenty four, twenty.
Speaker 3: They had a forty home run in twenty My exact reaction after I said Chris Davis was wrong and it was wrong, right?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I apparently don't remember the twenty twenty four Orioles. Did Gunner? Gunner hit forty homers? I think, I said, I don't think he did it before, but I don't know who else would They had guys cycle through Obviously, I'm just trying to shees I. I it's probably gonna be someone. I'm like, oh, yeah, sure, but I'm gonna have to say Gunner. I don't remember anyone else. It is very funny how quickly this guy has been forgotten. Uh let's see he hit forty four. It's Anthony Santando. Yeah, oh hit, he's been forgotten because he's been out absolutely no. No, yeah, I said it's gonna be some of them like, oh yeah, sure gonna hit thirty seven? So not no way, discredible answer. No, No, the Cincinnati Reds, boy, boy, the Cincinnati Reds. Are you Heneyo Suarez? Correct? Minnesota Twins. Okay, this is another one I had kind of thought about. I think it's Nelson Cruz correct. The Athletics have not once ever thought about the Did Kurtz hit forty last year? I feel like it's gonna be well, okay, if it's not someone like Curse, it's going to be like Chris the other Chris Davis. Probably, I'm gonna say Kurts. I don't remember how many hit last year? He had thirty six? Okay, fine, The year is twenty eighteen, twenty eighteen, isn't that too late for the other Chris Davis? Twenty got the twenty eighteen as Boy, could I not tell you?
Speaker 3: Did they make the playoffs that year? I think they did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, I do not know who's on that roster. I'm gonna say the other Chris Davis because I really don't. I just don't know. Well, you'd be correct, Oh, Okay it was too late. Okay, all right, you got four shots. It's currently tied to four hundred. The next one the Chicago way to set up my downfall by hey, just given give them the listeners some context. Yep, Sorry, what was the team? Sorry? I was too busy being mad at you for doing nothing? The Chicago White Socks, the Chicago White Sox. That is, when was the last time they had a did Robert in his longer year get there? I don't. I don't think a bray you ever got there? And after that my mind goes to, like Paul Knerko, which is so long ago. I'm going to say, Louis Robert and take get the year. I don't think he got there, but I'm going to get the year he did not get there. Yeah it is twenty sixteen, Okay, much much more recent. Why am I My colin is going to be yelling at me about this. Nick Schaeffer is going to be yelling at me about this potentially twenty twenty sixteen. Uh what did I say? Let's say it is, yeah, twenty sixteen. What do you it's it's it's gonna take me too much time. I really no, I don't know. I'm not I'm not coming up with it anything. Okay, it's Todd Fraser Frasier. Yeah, we remember, got to thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Okay, Bray, you never hit forty for them. Huh, Bray, you never hit forty too early anyway.
Speaker 1: But uh, next one is the Cleveland Okay, wow, the team that doesn't hit home runs? Got it? Mm hm forty homers for Cleveland. Oh Man, Travis Hafner one point wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I got him on this. I go on when I got the year?
Speaker 1: All right? Two more for posterity there. Well, I was honestly it was gonna either be Halfner or Bell. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought I thought maybe size Moore did it, but I guess that's much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely could have could have. What did you say a team he did? It was the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 2: Boston Red Sox. I this was another one I thought about. I honestly wasn't sure it was. Did Devers ever get forty? I'm gonna go with Devs.
Speaker 1: Devers did not get forty. It's uh, the year is all right, let me bring them back up. It's busy looking at Jose Ramirez hit thirty nine twenty eighteen. Yeah, I was gonna say twenty eighteen. It's twenty eighteen. Is the championship team? Boy? I I I guess my other answer. I didn't think he did for whatever reason. But the other answer I was thinking of was Jadie Martinez, So I'll go with him. Probably fifty points, you got it, Okay, all right? And last one the Pittsburgh Pirates. Uh, the Pittsburgh Pirates. Forty forty homer hitter for the Pittsburgh Pittsburgh Pirates. I honestly can't. I cannot think of someone who even stands out to me as like a potential guy. They've had great hitters. I don't think McCutcheon got to forty. You know, even the you know, good version of Brian Reynolds, not that kind of guy. You know, O'Neil Cruz could do it. I don't think. I don't think he hit forty. I don't know. I'll take the year. I really don't know. I have nothing to even offer. Well, this will help because the year is nineteen seventy three, Okay, all right? So is that it's very funny that the all time home run leader played seven years for the Pirates, and not only is he not worth. You know, did you guys not consider him? You shouldn't have been thirty four his last year in Pittsburgh. No, I knew. I knew he hadn't done it because he's like he had. Yeah, I knew. I'm I guess I shouldn't say I knew. I just it didn't cross my mind because I felt like, yeah, he hit forty six his first year with the Giants seventy three.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be one of those times where I have revealed my my embarrassing lack of like historical knowledge. But it's going to be like either Parker or Stargel, Right, I think this is uh. I think we're both the pirates. I don't know the years. I guess I'll say Stargel, I don't, I.
Speaker 1: Think, and you'd be correct. Yeah, Parker was a rookie in seventy three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I said it, I realized it was a little too early for him, a.
Speaker 1: Little too early. Yeah, Parker the closest he got. I think he only he never really got close to forty. He hit thirty in his MVP season in seventy eight. He did hit thirty four for the Reds in ATV SO congratulations to Craig who wins the game.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 1: Good game, Thank you Colin, thank you Patrick for running it, and thank you to our listeners before you go, anybody else would like to submit a game this week? Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: The trade deadline is brutal for us, honestly well, and to be sure, we are still figuring out when we're going to record to the trade deadline. We probably will, maybe not, but we will be a completely out of energy. So any any games welcome anyway. If you listen to us this far, thank you for joining us on another episode of five and Dive, brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show and send us a game at five and Dive at Baseball perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcast. Search for Baseball Perspectives podcast network and we'll be in that feed. If you like what we're doing, please drop us a five star rating, and if you feel even more impelled to review, we'd appreciate it. If you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time is.
Speaker 1: Now cast agency still and can answer