Speaker 1: It's the JD and Sandy Show. You can listen online at one O three to one Austin dot com. Question for you guys, in what little way can you say you won the genetic lottery? Think about that for a second. While you do that, I will let you know that. Congratulations going out to some Longhorn baseball players and coach Jim Slasnegel named SEC Coach of the Year, Dylan Valantis was named SEC Freshman of the Year, and the Longhorns won the SEC regular season title in its first year in the SEC. So congratulations, been a great season for the Longhorns. Yeah. I mean that's that's fair, and that's good baseball too in the SEC. I mean, that's l s U, that's the Florida teams, it's Georgia. Do you remember all that hype.
Speaker 2: Of huh wait till Texas gets in the SEC, like we were going to regret it and look at what we're Look what's happening. Absolutely, And they're the play austin the first year in football.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeap. And they're the number one seed in the SEC tournament. Uh So that's good. They could make it all the way to the College World Series. Which would be really really cool. So congratulations the coach and a lot of other players picking up awards too at the end of the season there, including the catcher Ryan Galvin, was a first team All SEC and a bunch of Longhorns made the All SEC defensive teams. So very very cool. In what small way, I'll give you an example of me, And what small way do you feel as if you won the genetic lotto? I've got two one. I think I won the genetic lotto because I never had chicken pox. Me too, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Therefore emploid that I don't know every kid had chicken pox in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Yep, I never did. But do you live in fear of getting it? Uh? They say, once you're at a certain age, if you haven't had it, I don't think you're going to get it. I could be wrong about that, but I don't live in fear of it, and I'm in fear right, And I think, and don't hold me to this, I'm not a doctor. I think they don't encourage, if you haven't had it at this age, to not get a chicken pox vaccination, the shingles shot, and the shingles for sure, they say, not to get because if you haven't had chicken pox, you can't get the shingles. I understand.
Speaker 3: I remember after when we were getting our daughter, when she was going through her vaccination phase as a tiny landry. Once you got her chicken pox one, I was like, Sandy and I have neither one had it.
Speaker 4: Should we get it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Because what if she gets it and brings it home? And our pediatrician was like, yeah, you're probably fine.
Speaker 1: I just know that the evil people that have to give the babies the shots, Yeah, they're evil. I don't know how you do that.
Speaker 4: Walk I do that either.
Speaker 2: Well, according to chat GBT, you can get it as an adult, but it's not as likely.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, and it's bad if you get it as an adult.
Speaker 1: However, adult cases are more severe. Yeah, oh really, what about can you check and see if they're supposed to get a vaccination for chicken pox.
Speaker 4: You've never had this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if an adult has not had chicken pox, you can get vaccinated to prevent it.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got it all right.
Speaker 2: If exposed and unvaccinated. Anti viral medications may help if taken early.
Speaker 1: Just putting kol on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like my grandma.
Speaker 3: Used to put on other grand kids horse medicine, horse medicine on the children.
Speaker 1: Another way, I kind of one that I think, in a small way, the genetic lottery is. And I only realize this because I didn't win the genetic lottery when it came to a head of hair. But what I did with was a very nice head.
Speaker 4: Right, I agree.
Speaker 3: Right, if you were struck with the bald gene, at least you have a great shaped head to be bald.
Speaker 1: Bed, right, Yeah, very nice shape some people have. I don't.
Speaker 2: So you started shaving your head entirely when what was it twenty years ago?
Speaker 1: Over that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we had a radio listener friend, Kelly Davidson, young girl with cancer, came up and shaved our heads.
Speaker 1: We did it like in some solidarity with her. She came up and.
Speaker 2: Shaved our heads and we had a good laugh at that. Sandy kept that look from that point on. I didn't know that I have a dumb looking head.
Speaker 1: So it's a thing. You have a shelf on you, I have it.
Speaker 2: Mine goes you can't tell by looking at it now, but it goes back and then it's a little riser. At the time, we were like it looks like a Nissan X Terrace.
Speaker 1: Stadium cit J's JD Stadium CD. What about you, guys, what little way do you think you want the genetic lato?
Speaker 3: I okay, I have a couple. I just found this out. I don't know a month ago that I have been blessed with ridiculously strong bones because I had my fern my first boned in city scan, which I feel like is an older person thing to have to do, and it's hard to accept that I'm in that phase. But my doctor told me I had ridiculously strong bones.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: Not to flex on that. Also, I am a non producer of earwax. I do not have an earwax.
Speaker 1: Oh, I I am a heavy producer.
Speaker 3: You are a crazy heavy producer if you had your ears clean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how I found out my daughters are. It's weird, but I warm water.
Speaker 1: Yes, how do they do it? How they do it? I've done the candling, but I've never done them.
Speaker 2: No. I did it a couple of years ago at my doctor. I was just getting a physical and she goes, he wants to clean your ears. I was like sure, and it's it's like a suction thing and it squirts warm water in your ear and they're trying to pull it out instead of push things in, and it sounds like a gorilla is making out with your ears.
Speaker 4: Yeah, literally in your ear.
Speaker 1: Do you get to see the chunks? I did? One side was mess.
Speaker 4: So wasn't it so satisfying?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very I wonder if like your E n T, Like I have a buddy, Zach Wassmith is an E n T. I wonder if they do that it is at his office.
Speaker 4: I bet they do.
Speaker 1: I bet they do it. It's pretty cool, highly recommend it. I wonder if they do like a complimentary ear cleaning.
Speaker 4: Like after four visits you get a free air cleaning.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like that. It's like a bait and switch. It's like a lost leader for like when you.
Speaker 4: Get a manny and then they on your arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come in for the clean ear cleaning and then they tell you everything else. That's what about you, JB? How what little way did you? Man?
Speaker 2: This is a tough one because I'm not a genetic lottery winner of any sort. I've I've got allergies and asthma, and you know, I'm I'm not particularly tall or short.
Speaker 1: Barely have any shoulders. Barely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like backpacks are useless.
Speaker 4: I can't get the backpack on.
Speaker 1: I have awful shoulders. But here's what I have. Two things.
Speaker 2: Doctors always go when they check out my heart, They're like, oh wow, yeah, and I and I have a resting heart rate in like the mid thirties. Oh my whow. Yeah, so I got a good ticker there. But the the other thing that I have, the I guess you could call it genetical, is I can just I can just go and grind. Like if you said we're riding our bikes to Waco, I'd be like, okay, let's go, right yeah, or you know I live in South Congress, go all right, your task today is to walk to the domain.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, okay, let's go.
Speaker 4: You get started.
Speaker 1: I can grind. Yeah. I can just go and go and go and grind. That's that's is genetic glatto because I got that at all. Yeah, physically I can do it like I would suffer so I could do it. Yeah, yeah, I would say along that line. For me, I'm very strong. Oh really, are just physically strong, and I still am at my age and you.
Speaker 3: Don't know how to control your power, because I've seen you, Lenny, so many things, like just pick something up and crush it.
Speaker 1: I crushed a baked potato a few weeks.
Speaker 3: Feeling squeeze it to see if it was ready, and it was just exploded in the microwave after you squeeze it. I was like, dude, settled down, yeah the potato.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well you know Tricia can still run?
Speaker 4: Yeah that, oh that is one for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We Sandy has been taken Landry, our daughter out to to get her ready for a test, a running test, and I go with them sometimes and I can do like whatever the workout is like.
Speaker 4: Shockingly still able to run. And I hate running eight hundred.
Speaker 1: Back to back eight hundred meters about Kilder.
Speaker 4: Though, yeah that was fine, that was high.
Speaker 1: Did you ever run that? JB?
Speaker 2: The eight eight hundred? I hated it. I wasn't quite fast out. I was better as a two miler, a mediocre miler. Eight hundred is all that sprint? Yeah it's cool. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: But I feel like I'm a little bit like you with like once I start, like I will be in so much pain. But if I am going to finish, I am going to do whatever the assignment was, like, right, you know what I mean? Like, or if I start a project, I don't want to sit down and rest a bunch, like when we had to move storage units. Yeah, I just want to get it. I will keep my body moving until it is done. I don't want to rest in prolonged the agony of it. Right, Yeah, JB, go back to you. So like if someone said, hey, JB, we're gonna run a marathon today, Okay.
Speaker 4: I'll try.
Speaker 1: I could.
Speaker 2: I could grind it out. I'd figure out a way. Marathon would be hard. Running has gotten harder in the fifties. But if in my fifties, if I trained for it and my knees held out, I could get ready for one in a month a month.
Speaker 1: But why do it? You've already done a few. I've done all those. Yeah, that's that's not I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've thought about trying to do another one in my fifties, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Do you have a twenty six point two sticker? I do not have the sticker?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: How is ever big going to know that you run a marathon If you don't get the sticker.
Speaker 1: It's Austin, said Station one O three point one. Austin is trying to figure out how to collect some money, to the tune of seven and I have million dollars that people owe in parking tickets. Yes, seven and a half million dollars in unpaid parking tickets paid one.
Speaker 2: I didn't what I'm what I'm I'm hearing now is I didn't have to Yeah?
Speaker 3: Currently not right, two and fifty thousand unpaid parking tickets.
Speaker 1: I meaning they have no means of collecting.
Speaker 3: It just says the City of Austin is looking to address its current parking ticket situation.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: I think their only recourse with that if it would be such a hassle for them, though, is they just put a lien on your registration, They put a lien on your license, They boot the cars, they boot it. You can't your plates until you pay your fines. I don't shouldn't be that hard, right they didn't. It pretty simple to pay a ticket. I think you can just click and pay now, right, Yeah. I just got a ticket on Congress last month. I just skitched and parked and went in to a place. Just ten minutes later, I had a fifty dollars ticket ouch, fifty bucks. Fifty bucks if you pay it on time.
Speaker 2: If if I didn't pay it within so many days, it went up to seventy five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but apparently I didn't need to pay it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because apparently nothing will happen.
Speaker 3: I got one a few minutes ago, like back in January, and it was on a it was over in your neighborhood, JB on a residential street, like I parked in front of my friend's house and went in and came out and had a ticket, Like you have to park, you have to pay to park on the residential streets over there.
Speaker 4: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: If you're close to Congress you have to Congress, you have to have a permit issue or pay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, And I feel like mine was like thirty bucks, but it's right there, And I was like, oh, I'm going to pay it now because I don't want it to go up and I don't want to get pulled over for speeding and get arrested for an unpaid parking ticket, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Why are we so fearful of it? None of these other Austinites are paying. Yeah, I don't know they're going.
Speaker 3: To get the boot though they did say that one of the ways is they're going to up their booting process.
Speaker 1: People didn't pay their student loans and got them forgiven. They don't pay their don't get me started on that. On the student loans, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Grinded and paid that, you know, and it's like, no, you don't get to forgive those Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. The toll tag thing, I've kind of dug in on that. I'm like, hey, come and get it. You guys can't figure it interesting. You guys can't figure your act. You can't do your own act. You had to get it taken away from you from you're so bad. They were so bad at their job that someone else had to take over a different agency to collect the money. They had my credit card number, just bill it. They never did. I'm not paying it.
Speaker 3: I feel that credibility, the fact that everything got so screwed up, Like, how would they prove you actually owe that money?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean like you're saying you don't think that you do, but I'm saying, who could ever entangle it and prove that you do?
Speaker 1: Right? Exactly? So the whole toll thing is just a mess. I mean, I heard an ad the other day forget your toll tag? Do you have to have a toll tag?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: No, I do not have a toll.
Speaker 1: Tag, Okay, but people do, And I just heard a commercial forget your toll tag.
Speaker 3: You don't have to pay as much if you get a toll tag. But what I will tell you is when I first got my toll tag and I put my credit card on there, every time it went below my tag went below the twenty dollars threshold, they charged another twenty bucks.
Speaker 4: I was getting charged twenty dollars like two and three times a week.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It was costing me more in the long red, in my opinion, to have a toll tag. And now I get a bill mailed to me, which seems so old school, once a month, and I pay it and it's so much easier, and I have no issues.
Speaker 1: I just paid the people that texted me. I was in big trouble if I didn't pay them.
Speaker 4: Oh they did, you just pat it over your phone?
Speaker 1: Those are back, have you guys, I'll be getting them again. Of you, the scam ones. You don't pay your told?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, away.
Speaker 1: They kind of seemed to have slowed down but now they've seemed to have come back, So I don't know. The toll tag thing just seems to be a.
Speaker 2: Now I'm looking at some of the Austin parking tickets consequences. As of March first, twenty twenty five, the standard fine for an expired unpaid meter has increased to seventy five dollars, more than double the previous amount on.
Speaker 1: Fair parking ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unpaid parking tickets can be sent to collections after a certain period, potentially impacting your credit score.
Speaker 1: Huh, that's kind of vague there. That's a big one.
Speaker 2: While the City of Austin does not tow vehicles for unpaid parking tickets, accumulating multiple unpaid citations can lead to your vehicle being booted. The boots no impact on your driving record. It's a civil infraction.
Speaker 3: That's embarrassing when you walk out in your car has that big old orange boot on it, that yellow boot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never had that happen to you.
Speaker 4: It happened a long time ago.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: It's very embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's really bad.
Speaker 3: I know that's I think that's why I'm like, holy crop, I've got to pay this now.
Speaker 4: I don't want the boot.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is anyway, just I mean, they made it pretty easy to I mean the electronic you know what I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Easy to pay.
Speaker 1: It's easy to pay and get the You just a what's your plate in? Once you have the app.
Speaker 2: My daughter got a ticket parking ticket a while back, and she just keeps that big slip in her car and puts it on her windshield.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think, good party. She's already gotten a ticket. That's brilliant.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's worked in her favor, but I've seen her do it.
Speaker 1: I wish the city of Austin would tell us, Okay, you get the seven and a half million, what are you gonna do with it? Right? What are you gonna do with it?
Speaker 2: Start writing tickets for people double parking and bike lanes please? Oh yeah, here's what will beats and favor and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it will make me mad if they do for the parking ticket people what they did for the toll people.
Speaker 4: And they're like, all right, today, if.
Speaker 3: You come in and pay half of what you owe, we'll forgive it. Oh what, no way, I think that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Just take off the penalties and all that stuff. Yeah, the penalties will make it a up, up and up. So anyway, the whole toll tech thing is very confusing. And then there's the North Texas toll and then all the other ones. I don't get it. I'm just going to keep driving through it and see what happens driving it through.
Speaker 2: That well, and there's all They built all these new toll roads with toll booths that we never use. Yeah, that's right, all the booths, Like, what was the point?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to happen. I don't Thanks for being with us. Make sure you grab the podcast version of the show if you're just joining us, But stick around. We've got more coming up on Austin's eighties station one O three point one.
Speaker 5: Grab your shades, your flip flops, and your free iHeartRadio app for the start of summer twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: No matter where you.
Speaker 5: Go this summer, your favorite radio station, the music you love, and the best podcasts in the.
Speaker 1: World will be along for the adventure.
Speaker 5: Make sure you have the free iHeartRadio app in your phone today.
Speaker 1: All right, we mentioned the show that's tonight at the Movie Center. It's Kave Perry. She's playing there. I don't even know if tickets are still available. Imagine it's probably sold out at the Moody Center. Maybe not, but there's another show coming and our daughter. It's not until November, but our daughter is already hitting us up to go Billie Eilish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Boy was she into Billie Eilish for a little while. It went away. It's like everything with kids, it's very short lived fandom.
Speaker 3: It was Billie Eilish's green hair face is when they loved her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's coming to Austin in November. And what's funny about this? JB And I don't know if your kid did this with text messaging, but it's two things. One really like vague. So it's like, hey, can I go see Billy Eilish? Okay? When?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 1: Where? And who are you going with? Right? And then it's where she responds to one question at a time, so in a text, so I respond when you know where and who you're going with? When I get a response back, November, okay, making you work? Where is the concert? Oh, it's in Austin, Okay? And then it's like who you going? It's like three.
Speaker 3: Questions you already stated them and he has to repeat them.
Speaker 1: Drives me absolutely insane, but she does.
Speaker 4: It all the time, all the time.
Speaker 1: Funny drives me nuts. But Billy, I'm cool with her going to that show. That'd be fun, I think.
Speaker 3: So she's it's at the Moody Center, which I love. November thirteenth or fourteenth. It is her only stop in Texas. Oh really, yep, only stop in Texas. It's she has any album coming out?
Speaker 1: How old is Billy Eilish? Does anyone know? Young? No? No? I one year south By.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying by sorry aclfest when she played, and it was when I mean not that she isn't all the age, but it was like when.
Speaker 1: She was just peaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was back in like the media area, and sheep cruised through there like.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, dang, she's just baller, like a rockstar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like three so me.
Speaker 2: She was in her teens, yeah, and just so scrappy and cute, and I like the way she dresses, and you know what I mean, she just but she just walked through there like she owned the place like and she did.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was she was all the rage that year. But I was just impressed. I was like, dang, Now, there's something cool about a confident person, right, Yeah, And there's a definitely line between confident and arrogant. Yeah, and she sounds like she's just cool. No, yeah, this was nothing arrogant about it. Like that.
Speaker 2: She's different than other stars where they used to bling to get the attention, she does the opposite.
Speaker 1: Because she's got the talent, right, She's got the talent to back it up. She doesn't need all the smoke and mirrors and all that. Speaking of that, can we jump jump generations here? Can we talk about what Diamond Dave is doing right now? My man David Lee Roth is out there just really himself.
Speaker 4: Oh, somebody's got to tell him.
Speaker 1: You don't have any friends? Is he on tour? He's been showing up in my social field. Yeah. Again, he just kicked off a tour and he's covering the Van Halen hits and doing you know what Diamond Dave does in the in the leather pants and still got the high kick. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen the high kick, but he is trying to recreate the leather pants and it's not going well for him.
Speaker 4: It's not he's not complimentary.
Speaker 1: He's got the opposite effect of what Tom Jones had going on. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like it's all anyone comments on.
Speaker 3: But I think he thinks it looks great. I think he thinks I'm really killing it right now. They're loving this. Yeah, and really everybody's like someone's got.
Speaker 1: To tell him and doesn't have anybodies to do it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was never a David Lee Roth fan in the heyday, you know what I mean. I was not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was not real into Van Halen. And then when Sammy Hagar jumped in, I was a fan. I was like that version of Van Hale and I was in. I didn't dislike it. The early Van Halo just wasn't my thing.
Speaker 1: And I really became a Sammy Hagar fan when I heard an interview that he did. Actually you were there when when he did it with Lance, right, Yeah, I did meet him. He was really nice, great interviewing, interesting guy, and he's talk about one of the early adapters to famous people getting the liquor game. You're talking about Sammy Hagar.
Speaker 2: This was Yeah, he sold cab Cabba Wabbo for one hundred million or sometime he owned it all. Yeah, he's not like one of those people took investor after investor after investor.
Speaker 1: He cashed out on all of it.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now it seems like every celebrity that's kind of slowed down, though, I think because Clooney hit it big.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's I feel like tequila has been taken up, so now people are branching out to other types of alcohol. But I feel like all the celebrities still have an alcoholic drink.
Speaker 1: You know. That's how did he made a ton of his money? Rock?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I forgot, Well he's spending it all now lawyers news.
Speaker 1: So that story is so gross.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's so gross.
Speaker 1: Have you followed it at all? JB? I haven't, no, dude, it was. I was reading the articles about it, some of the tests, the trials going on. But there's a media there, right, No, there's media there. There's no TV cameras. Okay, I have not been following it. They just break down some of the testimony of the things that it happens, that happened, and I got you get about halfway through it. Why am I read this is so gross? Why am I reading It's really disgusting and disturbing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really is really, really bad.
Speaker 1: I don't think old Diddy.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's going to be.
Speaker 1: Spreaking anymore. We will be a different kind of freak. Cough. I think in the jailhouse. I don't think he's leaving.
Speaker 4: He has done that.
Speaker 1: Case is ongoing. So hey, we're gonna do this again tomorrow from seven until eight o'clock. Be here for it. If you're just joining us, grab the podcast version of the show. Search JB and Sandy on the iHeartRadio app as Austin Davy station one oh three point one. Make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Listen for all your music, radio and podcasts free.
Speaker 1: Never sounded so good.