Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. Hello and welcome back to The Disconnected live on another Thursday night, And once again, like I've been trying to hype up recently, we get a bunch of first time guests this week on the show, Andy Nelson, who is the man behind CinemaScope and True Story FM and lots of other stuff we'll talk about.
Speaker 2: Andy, Thanks for doing this now, Thanks for having me. I'm thrilled to be here and to chat with you about all of these crazy releases that we're going to be seeing this popping up. So it's a busy week.
Speaker 1: We have a hell of a week to cover. Let's get into some stuff about you before we check in with everybody. Tell everybody about CinemaScope because I think that a lot of people watching the show will adore this podcast.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, it's a lot of fun. This is one of the several film podcasts that we have over at a True Story FM, and this one specifically is focusing on genres, subgenres and film movements and each episode looks at a specific one and I kind of have very lengthy conversations with my guests about it, including Ryan who is on the last episode talking about found footage horror. And yeah, so it's I mean, we've done osploitation, remake exploitation, We've done screwball comedy. It's just kind of like all over the place as far as the different types of things, and so it's a lot of fun. And yeah, I'd love more people to check that one out. So that's one of the podcasts that we have. And then the Next Reel is a podcast where we just talk about my co host and I talk about a different film each week, each one kind of packaged into a little series of films that we are doing. And then we have another show called Movies We Like, which is where we bring on somebody from the industry to talk to them about one of their favorite movies. So lots of good stuff.
Speaker 1: Lots of stuff going on. You are a busy, busy man. CinemaScope is I don't know. It's been one of the more comforting shows, I will say, as I have in the last couple of months been forced back into the office full time unfortunately, and it has been your dulcet tones keeping me company for a lot of that time. Two episodes that I really want to highlight if people are going to try it out tonight, and please check the link of the description below, subscribe to Andy, go check out the other shows. It is a really great time, even Craig saying we were on movies, we like it was great, great felladay yep. The two episodes, one incredible episode on blaxploitation. The films covered is a really nice, really nice breadth of films with blaxploitation. There's a couple I don't know, like major films that people tend to get hung up on. And with the episode, it was I mean everything because the guest was an expert, like a full on expert of this and oh yeah, incredible conversation. Completely completely support that one.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Yeah, Odie Henderson had just his book is out and it's just, I mean this incredibly just lots of wonderful stuff in that book and it's like eight bucks for a hard bat. It's crazy how affordable that book is. Absolutely check it up or check it out. And yeah, and so we talked about five films specifically the episode, and then I'll do a member bonus section that has five additional films and that's where we like, we'll do the kind of the core essential films in that first section, and the last one we play around a little bit. You know, if it's something that's a little more obscure or kind of borders on the style, you know, we'll talk about that. So it's it allows for a lot of amazing conversations and that's that was one of my favorites as well.
Speaker 1: And speaking of more obscure, I'm sure that you're not listening to the twenty five shows on our podcast network, but just this week I gave you a pretty big shout out on the Mondo Macabre podcast because the Remo remake. This is such a hard word to say, the remake exploitation episode. Man, that hit like a ton of bricks a few weeks ago when I listened to it. Finally, because there's so much in this genre that you can dive into that I mean, I say genre loosely because it's a bunch of genres under an umbrella. But remak Okay, I've done say the word. These remake films are tech. They're not remakes. They're more ripoffs. And the way that you I don't know, like in a really playful way just tour it apart and share all the details and mentioned you know, Turkish spider Man and all these other things for a couple hours. It was incredible, really really great episode. And for people that love Monta Micabre and terror visions on a couple Master videos done one. Like, there's a bunch of these foreign ripoff movies that are in genuine like appreciation incredible on their own. They're not like, let's just laugh at all these they're really great, very different movies that seem to have some plot lines or characters or dialogue exactly ripped out of another movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very odd. We talked about some crazy movies in there, like the Bollywood Nightmare on Elm Street ripoff. There's one that was like it was Italian and it was like it was like Terminator but also aliens, you know, like Shocking Dog. Some strange, strange blends of the films. And yeah, it had a lot of fun digging into that one with and my guests just yeah, knows so much about it. I mean it's like studying it and you know it for a sub genre or a movement of films, they're not always easy to find. Luckily, he had links to many of them, and he's working on trying to figure out how to do deals and stuff to restore some more of them, because that's the trick. Like Turkish Star Wars. Good luck figuring out how to get the licensing for that one, you know, so at least it's on the lower quality versions on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Thankfully. I got the Blu ray that was on sale for like a month a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Nice, very short lived.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that thing is very expensive nowadays. Yeah. Yeah, True story or true yeah, man can't speak tonight. True Story FM. Tell everybody what the rest of this is, because there's so much to dive into.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah, True Story FM. So so Pete is my co host over on the Next Reel and movies we like, and this was he convinced me to start podcasting in twenty eleven, and we started up the Next Real podcast, where again we talk about a movie each week, and then we and then covid hit and I had been working in production and it kind of hit this point where there wasn't really the work that I needed and so he's just like, just podcast myth with me, and let's just do podcasting. And so since covid hit. I've been just doing full time podcasting and it's it's it's it's really fun and so True Story FM is our network, and we've got a whole bunch of entertainment related podcasts. That's where all of our movie ones fall under. And then we have a whole bunch with just a whole bunch of other clients. We have an ADHD podcast, a divorce podcast, several cybersecurity types of podcasts, you know, so the we kind of cover the whole gamut different podcasting that we do. But that's you know, that's been keeping me busy for the last five years, which is crazy to think about.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of work, believe me as somebody that also has a podcast network. There's a lot of stuff find the scenes that you can really do to keep your time just completely entrenched in it. Yeah. But yeah, you know, if you're here you love movies, so that they got some options there. But hell, if you're a divorced person with ADHD and a computer virus, there's all kinds of options for you and you.
Speaker 2: Love movies too. I mean, hey, Andy, what kind of movies do you love?
Speaker 1: You're here tonight for the first time on a physical media related show, and you don't get a ton of time to talk about physical media. So what do you what do you love? What are you looking to buy?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, my favorite five top five films I would say are Brazil, Shashank, Redemption, Charade, Lord of the Rings. I don't know, I'll say Return of the King, and Doctor Strangelove. That's probably would change, you know, if you ask me again in ten minutes, But Brazil's been my number one. You can see the poster right here for Ages and Ages. So I'm all over the map.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: As far as what I like, I love. I don't know good movies is that is that a fair thing to say? I just really love good movies. But I love exploring cinema. And you know, is somebody who went to film school. I just, uh, I don't know. I just fell in love with just the the incredible with and breadth of this medium and just how many films and you know we have and just exploring into other cultures and and just there's there's a lot to see. There's a lot, and yeah, it's it's hard to it's hard to just pin down just a few. But yeah, there's a lot. As far as physical media, it's always like, I don't know, I'm always you know, after upgrading to four K, I'm just like, well, I'm only going to buy the four K releases now. But then it's just like, oh, but this is coming out now, Wow, I need that. And so you know, then you know, you say, you're still just buying all sorts of stuff, and I'm still like, you know, I'm one of these people who has like a ridiculous number of letterbox lists and all these different things, like I'm trying to complete these sorts of lists and and so I hit somewhere, I'm just like, this movie that I want to watch for this list isn't available unless I buy this DVD from from Spain. I guess I'm buying a DVD from Spain. And so that's kind of how how I am.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, that's in my opinion, that's the right answer. There's so many different genres there. It's so easy to just say I want to see everything and challenge yourself. And when you're doing specifically like you the shows that you cover, you kind of are forced to watch everything and just sort of flex that muscle all the time. One of the questions I was going to ask in relation to that, what's over the last I don't know, because you've been doing it a long time, so it's over the last six months. The film that you discovered for your show that you went damn like this immediately is like one of my favorites of all time. This is incredible.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's a question I wish you prepped me for.
Speaker 1: No, we got to hear organic conversation.
Speaker 2: Come on, Andy, oh Man, let's see you know in I'd say there were some when I did the Iranian New Wave over on CinemaScope, there were some movies that really surprised me. And I have to look it up right now because I'm totally blanking on the name of it. But there was this one movie that was like, it was like this meta storytelling film, and I just I was like, where are we going with this movie? And it was it was just really exciting to see something unfold the way it did, you know, And because it's about a a filmmaker who's making a film about his own life when he was young and he was more politically engaged when he was younger, and he's altercation with the police officer, and now he's casting the police officer to play the police officer, and he's playing himself, and it just like they're acting out this story, but they're also both trying to you know, think about Actually, I take it back, he didn't. He didn't cast them to play themselves, but he got the guy to like advise, and so the police officers like, oh no, no, this guy's not handsome enough to play me, and like going through all of this sort of stuff, and it's it was just such a fascinating movie. And I'm going to I'm looking at the list right now. It was called of course now I can't remember which one. It is a Moment of Innocence, I think, yeah, directed by Moosin Mark Malboff, and it was I don't know, I wasn't expecting something that was like I was kind of expecting kind of like, you know, more dramatic, but then it took this whole meta narrative with it, and I just wasn't expecting this. As they were examining both he and the police officer were examining their younger selves as they played this whole scene out and reliving the moments that they had and trying to like recontextualize like why they did it that way and everything, and I don't know. It was a really fascinating film and absolutely absolutely worth checking out. That was just one that really surprised me. That's the first one that came to mind.
Speaker 1: Amazing, and now I want to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right. I don't know how accessible it is. I can't remember where I watched this. If it was a link that my guests sent to me, or if it was something I found, I might have just found it on YouTube. So a moment of innocence, It's definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 1: It's from nineteen ninety six. Sounds incredible with the show. Have you found any of the episodes you've gotten like a higher number of engagement with listeners because it was such a you know, we'll say a like inspiring type of episode, one that get really got people to pay attention and respond in a certain way.
Speaker 2: For you, you know, I will say it's funny. You never can tell with podcasting. Sometimes you're like, it's you know, it's all about horror movies. If you want to have a successful movie podcast, you got to be talking about horror movies. But I was looking at I'm like, the Screwball Comedy podcast is like through the roof, And it really surprised me because and maybe it's just the times we're living in, who knows, but it just surprised me, you know, pleasantly that that one was one that was so well received and that people really connected with. And I've had some people really excited about a number of the releases that we are the number of films we discussed. In fact, Midnight was Criterion just is putting that one out That was one of the ones that we had discussed, which was the first time. That's another one totally blew my mind. I loved that movie so much. And then then Criteria. I often joke that Criterion secretly is listening to our shows because every once in a while, like I'm like, we just talked about that like three months ago, and here's Criterion putting it out there. So but anyway, that yeah, so that one really kind of seemed to hit a nerve, which, you know, I'm like, maybe I need to talk about more comedy.
Speaker 1: Well, not only that there's not a lot of people talking about that type of comedy specifically, you know that it's a genre that we don't really get much anymore, especially the way that we were getting back then with it being a staple every single year. Now it's like once every seven or eight years. You might have a really good one that you can kind of fit into that mold. But even now, like the modern the modern ones are not the same as the ones that were coming out in the forties and fifties.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, it's definitely a different tone comedies taken.
Speaker 1: But uh yeah, everybody's saying comedy needs another renaissance, and comedies are rare now. It's all about horror, absolutely because the comedies you simply don't make money. Sadly, I do.
Speaker 2: I do hope that naked I see the comment about naked Gun. It may might not start it, but I am at least hoping. I'm like, hey, if Liam Neeson, if Oscar Schindler can pull that off, then I'm I'm all for it.
Speaker 1: I am, I'm for some reason quite hopeful about this one, Like the at least the trailer. If feel like that nailed the tone kind of yeah, yeah, I think. So let's get into some regular stuff. What have you been picking up on physical media recently, which, by the way, incredible wall behind you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I bought that. I'm like, oh, this is so much space, and then instantly is full. I'm just like, you know, it's impossible to ever have enough. All right, you ready for this? I've got way too big of a pile that I pulled here. First of all, I'll just they're not really organized. They're kind of organized in some capacity. Well, here's the Criterion pickups that I just did out their sales. So I finally got in the mood for Love, which I've been anxious to get, and the Grifters. This is a DVD upgrade for me because nice. I mean, I love the movie, but that DVD is really an old one. And then I picked up The Philadelphia Story, which I've always loved. But I went to watch it. I have the DVD still and I opened it and the disc is gone, and I'm like, did I loan it out to somebody? I couldn't have figured it out, So I'm like, hey, guess it's time to buy it. All right, then, I excuse me. I live in the Phoenix area and recently we had our our version of Comic Con, the Phoenix Fan Fusion, and lo and behold, Severn had a booth there, which was fantastic. I guess they have a place right here in town where they ship from. So I was like, I chatted with the team and everything. So I picked up Opera, which I've been wanting to grab. I picked up the documentary about Island of Doctor Merau, which I've been very curious to watch, Lost Souls, so I'm very excited to see that one, Blood on Satan's Claw, So looking forward to digging into that one. And then last but not least, The Day of the Beast. So that's my love that movie. This is This was largely a set of films that I'd never seen and I'm just but I've been like very curious about So yeah, I figured they're here, they're giving me a discount. Why not.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of that, nice nice prelude, that next Thursday night, when we're here live again, the seven Summer Sale will be starting that night, So come hang out. We'll be chatting up and talk about all the new titles. And the guest for next Thursday is someone that has had a hand at a bunch of seven titles, so we're gonna be talking about all kinds of stuff, Severn, So come on back then, Man, you got some great discs. We had somebody ask, how do you feel, Reggie says Andy, do you think Criterion did Brazil justice with their four K release?
Speaker 2: That's frustratingly one I haven't picked up yet.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I know, I've been very reticent to grab that one yet I want to. I've been kind of looking at all the feedback and everything, and so I really want to pick it up though anyway, So so yeah, it's I mean, it's such a great movie though, it's hard for me to not want to just grab it.
Speaker 1: So you got another comment about Midnight Criterions of Midnight with Claudette Clbert and John Barrymore and everybody Else is a great screwball comedy beautiful Blu Ray. Yeah, supposedly that one looks great. I've not seen that disc yet, but I've heard it looks incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, it's, i mean, such a great movie, so it's an easy one to just pick up blind.
Speaker 1: I think a handful of pickups for me. I get a couple of people that are in our discord that I did some trades with. Actually the first one I never got, Hal Hartley's Long Island Trilogy on Blu Ray and mister Aaron West, who was on the show a couple of weeks ago, traded me that once. Now I think I only have the one that is like four hundred dollars on eBay, so I hope somebody else puts that out eventually. And then my friend Bill we just traded for this. I've been trying to pick up some of the deluxe Jackie Chan four k's have been coming out. Missed this one before it went out of print, and eighty eight Films kind of killing it with their Jackie Chan stuff, and then forcing myself to like Jess Franco as much as I can. Blue Underground coming out with the Blood of Fu Manchu and Castle of Fu Manchu, both on four K titles I never expected to see on four K. Can watch these. I'm still waiting patiently for a couple other Jess Franco announcements coming this year, so can't wait for those. And then finally I got two more releases here and they are thick boys, very very excited about these. First is the Australian imprint release of Raging Bull. This is a four K release. It's got the documentary from two thousand and four as the second disc on this, the four K looks incredible. There's not a lot of new stuff on this disc. This is mostly just if you really love this movie and you want Dolby Vision. The Criterion release doesn't have a Dolby Vision, so the colors might be slightly improved on this. To my eye, it's not that noticeable of a difference, but it does. It looks incredible, I mean, the photography and this is like stark be unbelief, so incredible looking disc. And then if you're gonna pick that up, you might as well go over the other Scorsese that came out at the same time New York, New York that does not have a like, really nice release in the US. So we got this one. This is a three disc release. It's got the documentary from uh, I don't see the year on here, but this one has all kinds of new stuff. Daniel Kramer, he's had his hands and a bunch of the imprint stuff recently. He's got Oh, that's right, it's the European theatrical cut, which is the second thing, and you've got the director's cut. Yeah, this is pretty much everything you could want on this release. Kind of crazy that New York, New York waited this long, Like, I'm still surprised we don't have some Scorsese titles on Blu ray let alone, like Fancy four K releases. Yeah right, twenty forty five, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? I got to call one more out that I didn't mention, but it's it's only because they sent it to me. It's the intacto disc that they that they have because they were kind enough to want to use a clip of our podcast for very minute. So yeah, so that's exciting. That was our first actual dip into supplemental material. So here we are with a little clip of our show that they cut into a little video ess That's it's kind of fun. So that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: They made a visual essay with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I was really glad that they they did it because it played really well with the conversation.
Speaker 1: So excellent. Well, I mean, the whole point of all of these is the films. So what have you been watching recently?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, let's see. In preparation for Jurassic Park or Drastic World rebirth, my wife and I decided to do a marathon and we watched the previous six films over the holiday weekend, so it was like it was a lot of dinosaurs and and I can't say it was I mean it was fun to watch. I really have a soft spot for just watching people in dinosaurs on screen together, but watching them all together, I'm just like, God, like every single one of these movies it's about stupid people, Like they're just all really dumb people making really bad decisions, as much as I enjoy them. But so we watched all of those and then we did the I threw it in the short films too, just because I wanted to. My wife was just like, no, I'm done. And then we then we took in Rebirth, which I we neither of us enjoyed, but the audiencer did. They loved it, applauded at the end, and we were just like, okay, So it was a little bit of a disappointment, but I don't know, maybe it was because I just watched, you know, twelve other hours of dinosaurs. I'm just like, yeah, I'm out. So so that was the big thing. And then Superman I watched, which I don't know. I've seen some comments how they've loved it. I didn't. I Superman I've always struggled with as a superhero, Like I love the idea of Superman, but I find that it's I don't know, just like the idea of a super character like him. It's just like, oh, there's not much he can't do unless there's Krypto not around, and so I don't know, I just get a little bored. I love the original Christopher Reeve, I've struggled with all the other solo films. I don't know. I think Channing Tatum might be one of my favorite Superman this one. And you know, don't get me wrong. I mean, I know that's saying a lot of positive things and all of that sort of stuff, and people love it, and I'm sure they should. It just isn't for me, And to me, it just felt like it's just another James Gun movie, Like this is what James Gun makes now, it's like Guardians, the Suicide Squad.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 2: They're all like it's his cookie cutter style, which you know it, I mean, he delivers, I guess you know it, just I didn't like it that much.
Speaker 1: It seems that's kind of what he got hired to deliver too.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, right, yeah, I'll be I heard somebody talking about it, like, I'll be curious to see where DC goes after this with films where he's more of the Kevin Feigey type of figure, just overseeing somebody else writing and directing. You know, that's I'm more curious about that.
Speaker 1: I'm very curious to see how much of his flavor gets thrown into somebody else's movies and how they can make that jive in a way that feels consistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rightous.
Speaker 1: I do want to shout out because you got this comment. My friend Brian loves the movie in Tacto and he says the visual essay on the Blu ray is very good.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: He sold me on that movie and I somehow do not have my copy yet. It is on the way Australian shipping comes from the other side of the world and takes few days, so it's all the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also watched Superman. I think, uh I liked it sounds like a bit more than you. But also I've never been a DC guy. I'm more of a Marvel person, and it's weird to see that shift because I've not liked much Marvel over the last five years. Six years, and this came out of nowhere. I think the only other DC movie I've seen in the last like twelve years is Gunn's Suicide Squad, and I feel like this was much better than Suicide Squad. The Batman stuff was, you know, Nolan's Batman is fine. I was a Batman kid growing up, so I was fine with that. But like, I don't think I was ever even tempted to put in any of the Zack Snyder stuff. Nothing about that is appealing.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's funny. Is like his four hour Justice League, like for me, was the ultimate payoff to everything that had come before. Like I love that movie, which I was surprised at because I hated the JJ Abrams cut, you know, and so I don't know, it just it just felt like he was doing something more with it, and so so yeah, but I hear you, though, I know, it's definitely a different universe that he was creating over there.
Speaker 1: I had kind of a really weird week of movies. So other than Superman, I've been trying to catch up with the twenty twenty five films that I missed in the first I don't know, five months of the year before I was going to the theater a lot more this year, and well, the one we chose this week was wolf Man, which seemed to get mostly cold responses from everybody. Yeah, I didn't hate it. I thought it was okay. When I say didn't hate it, I'm not gonna say I loved it, But it was I thought it was like better than average. I think that they could have really killed the story and they only kind of killed it. Maybe it's just because everybody had prepped me for such a terrible movie. I was just like, oh, yeah, Like, Abbott is a really good actor and he's selling this very well. I thought the way that they did like the werewolf perception thing where they changed his hearing and her hearing was a really cool touch. The ending was not great, and a lot of it could have been much better. I will obviously grant that the writing is pretty bad, but I don't think this was like the genre killer that everybody looked at Tom Cruise's Mummy or anything like that. But it was a fun time. At least it was worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, fun was something I didn't have with that one.
Speaker 1: It was very.
Speaker 2: It was a slog but interesting. There were interesting elements. I will give you that my.
Speaker 1: Slog this week. I forced myself to go to an indie movie in the theater this weekend, and that was Abraham Abraham's Boys, a Dracula Story. This is a movie that'll be coming to Shudder in like a month and a half or two months. I believe. This is a brand new movie starring Jocelyn Donahue, who I loved in so many things, but most recently in The Last Open Yuma County. And she is completely wasted in this movie. She's like, she's a main character that is mostly just sick, and not like the cinematic sick where they're, you know, doing the Exorcist performance and she gets to ham it up or anything. No, she's just laying there sick. This movie is a very different take on a Dracula story, and essentially it's we are seeing people make the trip to California and now they're staying on a farm in the early nineteen hundreds after leaving the whole Dracula European scene and getting caught for some of that. And I just did not like the story. I thought it was It was well acted, but it could have been like an eighteen minute short and delivered everything that you needed to see, and instead it was an hour in eighteen minutes, and I felt like I wasted an hour of my life at the very least. But the big thing, Yeah, the big thing for me this week, though, is I showed my kids Dick Tracy and good lord is that movie fun as hell? After watching Superman and wanting to watch a different style of quote, super is not a superhero movie, but a very comic inspired movie. Dick Tracy fit the bill perfectly. I need a four K for this pretty much immediately. Warren Batty acting is fine and all that, but man, the direction in this is incredible. The cast in this, I forgot how perfect the casting is. But the best thing is this feels like this feels like they got Dario Argento straight off of the Suspiria set and said, can you please direct this? This next live action season of Batman, the animated series and all of the colors mixed together is so perfect. Yeah, this movie is. It holds up very very well. The comedy hits hard. Love this movie. How do you feel about Dick Tracy?
Speaker 2: I love the the production design, the style of costumes, like it kind of explodes off the screen. It's it's a really stunning film. I that was the era when movie theaters would do things like my I went to the special preview screening when it came out, and my ticket was an actual shirt I had, like a special Dick Tracy and it had a big ticket on the front and Dick Tracy and all this stuff. I loved that shirt. I had it for years. But and the film I think largely works. I think that I don't know, there's there's a whole meta world of Warren Baty as Dick Tracy that's arisen from this whole thing that I still can't wrap my head around. And I think that war does either by the way, I don't know, Yeah who if he's caught onto that, but he like he I will say, he embodied the character like and so it's clear that he had this real personal connection with it and everything. There are things that work better than others in it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's one of those movies that the thing that I always think about is there was a character I think his name is Little Face who. My impression is my understanding is that the team behind the effects were always disappointed with how they filmed him. Because they filmed his close ups like they would film other actors close ups, but you lose the effect of the entire point of the actual face and it should be shot like giant head, little tiny face in the middle of it, but they shoot it so you're just seeing the actors like expressions, and so I don't know. That's one of those things that I always think about with that movie is just a little a little gaff but otherwise, yeah, I think the character design, everything about it's really just super cool.
Speaker 1: It's one of those movies that every single time another scene happened, I went, oh my god, they're in this and it's funny because I had not seen this movie and probably I don't know, eighteen years something like that, and watching it again after I've started to enjoy like movies in general. Oh man, if you want people from movies, this has everyone you can dream And it's that blending of like the old Hollywood era and the people that were still alive mixing with the giant actors of that day with some up and coming names that now is like, oh wow, how are they also in this movie. It's incredible, absolutely absolutely amazing.
Speaker 2: Guest. Yeah, no, I actually check that one out. You've convinced me.
Speaker 1: I wasn't doing that, but I know, and then I guess neither one of us said the word Madonna. Also one of the main stars, which is wild to see that.
Speaker 2: Was the Madonna Warren Baty era, which those of us who live through it again our time forgetting.
Speaker 1: But nineteen ninety that is a huge star at the time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I mean I love Madon. I think she's she's great and I've listened to that her soundtrack of that many times. But yeah, it's it's I mean, it's it's a fun film. Danny Elfman does the score. I mean, it's a really it's a cool movie.
Speaker 1: Before we get into announcements, I want to shout out that after tonight, I have to go through all the announcements. We're going to be covering Jahorror broadly, sort of in a cinema scope style discussion, not like five favorites, just shouting out five titles and discussing them. We are going to be going over a lot of announcements tonight. But before we go into that, any upcoming cinema scope that you want to highlight or be able to tell us about before you get started well.
Speaker 2: Conveniently, I'm working on planning my Jay horror episode right now.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, I know, right.
Speaker 2: I've also been talking to somebody in India trying to work out a plan to do something with in Indian cinema. I'm not exactly sure. I'm kind of pushing for kind of like the big the Masala musical types of films, which I think would be a lot of fun, but so I'm not exactly sure where I'm gonna land with that one. We're still sorting it out. I've also been chatting with someone for I think a year now trying to coordinate the time to talk about heist films, which I think would be a really fun episode to discuss. So those are a few that are that are currently in the works.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. Yeah, for anybody that missed the beginning, please go subscribe CinemaScope. Really incredible show well researched with nowadays, I mean there's something about shows that actually put the work into discussing titles that mean so much more than like the Hangout podcast to me, and you could tell that they are important well read podcast compared to others that are like Sit on the couch and Discuss and those have their place. Nothing against that's just right now, very much into the let's let's deep dive and actually know what we're talking about type of podcasts.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Means the world. Let's get into some announcements. Then we're starting on sort of a weird note this week because the first thing is a replacement program. Radiance announced their first replacement program, and this one was odd because it seemed to only be affecting people that had Panasonic players and people that did not have Panasonic players. It just play just fine, so you may not even need a replacement disc. But just so you know, Radiance sent out a message saying that they have discovered what happened. Finally. They wanted to announce this a couple of weeks ago, but they couldn't even figure out what caused the air. So there was a formatting error when the disc was sent for replication, and it wasn't present in their files, and it somehow got corrupted on the way to the printer. So the replacement discs are now being manufactured and they're gonna be sent to those that bought it straight from Radiance. Anybody else you can info. You can email info at Radiancefilms dot co dot uk show that you purchased the disc and they will get you a disc sent to you. And they did say this is good for anywhere in the world. You don't have to worry if you bought this in Australia or something, they will still ship it to you. There are new discs still being made of this title and it will have the replacement disc already with it, so you don't need to worry about that.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of work, but kuda's to them for figuring it out.
Speaker 1: It's a ton of work. Mozart saying do they not test a disc at the plant, and yes they do. We're going to talk about another another label at issues later, but yeah. There are lots of ways to test the discs, and most of the companies do in different ways. But when something is so specific like this, sometimes it just gets missed somehow, and it depends sometimes that the air doesn't happen until fourteen minutes into the feature or only on the special features. There's a lot of different ways that these can go wrong without being able to be caught because they're not sitting there testing after they've done QC. Like some of these companies do QC more than thirty times on the whole disc after they're pressed. They're not testing all of the disc yet. Again, they would be completely bogged down and just doing QC for the rest of their lives. So thanks Radiance, this is the right way to handle it. Good job. Okay. So we talked about seven a little bit ago. We also talked about their sale coming up next week. We're gonna be talking about a handful of titles coming as part of their sale. This first one is Night of the Sharks from nineteen eighty eight. This is the first time it's been on disc anywhere in North America, coming on Blu rays scan from the only surviving thirty five millimeter print. It will have the bonus soundtrack CD with it. Love that Severn still does this, but this is one starring treat freakin' Williams and cannot wait to get this. This is gonna have a trailer on it. Not much for extras, but I have heard about this movie many many times and have never had a chance to see it. Night of the Sharks. Are are you a shark e'xploitation person? Because we're gon be talking about sharks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we are. I have never seen this, hadn't heard of it, but I mean Treat Williams and the fact that his character has a pet shark named Cyclops, like totally won me over as soon as I saw all that. I'm like to have to check this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great sounding cast in this. This looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Definitely on my radar for the sale.
Speaker 2: I want to just call out with that one that I'm a big fan of film scores and soundtracks, and I love the bonus feature idea of actually throwing in the soundtrack like that is one of my favorite things, especially because neither of the Sharks is not the sort of soundtrack that's exactly like a common item to pick up anywhere. So like that's definitely for me, like something that I always look at as a big selling point when I'm looking at whether I decide to purchase something or not.
Speaker 1: I love the comment we just got can you see a shark at night? I mean yeah, if it's flight. Thanks Rag. Now let's see next up. Airplane to the sequel coming to four K from Keena Lober on September twenty third. This is a brand new HDR Dolby Vision Master from a Ford K scan of the OCN. For Airplane two, we got a new audio commentary on here by Mike White from the Projection Booth podcast. New audio commentary by Patrick Walsh as well. The Blu ray that comes with this is not gonna have as many bonus features as they normally throw in on the Blu Ray, but it's got both those commentaries. Still. You can get this on standalone Blu ray as well. How do you feel about Airplane two?
Speaker 2: The sequel I grew up, I mean Airplane was a regular in my house. We watched that all the time. I have a good half of that movie easily memorized, just so many quotable lines. This is one that I had fun with. William Shatner's my favorite part in it. I never watched it as much as Airplane, but I still found it to be pretty fun.
Speaker 1: I made this argument a couple of weeks go because they Keno did the classic thing of We're going to announce the title and not tell you anything or the date or anything, and then three months later reveal it. So when I brought this up, I've said, I'm not going to say that this is a better movie. However, Airplane two has like all of the great stuff from Airplane and more jokes. It's also really great. Yeah yeah, anyways. Next up from Keno a Blu ray release of Radio Land Murders, coming on September twenty third. This is one with Mary Stewart, Masterson, Brian Benben. I have never seen this one. I'll get a new audio commentary on here by Brian Reeseman and Max every There's also a new interview with Brian Benben on here. Have you seen the Radio Land Murders?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this was a movie that they when it came out, they were really plugging the fact that George Lucas was involved. Everyone was like, what is this guy doing now that Star Wars is over? This is like that period where nothing was happen happening in the Star Wars world. And so he was like, he wrote this. You know, he's one of these people. He loves he loves, you know, the fifties driving culture, and he also really loves the world of old radio. And so wrote the story for this and then was the EP on it. And it's a zany fun movie. I mean, I've it's been quite a number of years since I watched it, but I remember having a lot of fun with it, and you know, it's just they throw in some like actual old people, like I think George Burns pops up as somebody who's who's doing some radio in it and everything, and I just I had a lot of fun. It's definitely one that I'm just seeing the fact that they're putting this out made me want to revisited it and see how it holds up.
Speaker 1: Perfect time for that, you get a brand new two K Master coming on the disc. Speaking of brand new version, September. Second, there's gonna be an Amazon exclusive of the four K Superman Sealbook Library set that they did way back in twenty twenty three. Over the summer, they're doing that exact same set, but they're losing the fifth steal book that in the first one had comic books and a certificate of authenticity in like six other things. And all that is great that they're putting us back out, Like I'm not one of those people that if I had the first one, I'm not going to complain because the value might go down slightly. The big deal here, though, is that they are fixing a bunch of errors that were in there for the first time. So when they put this out in the very first set in twenty twenty three, the first movie had a six track audio set and it did not have the two point zero audio and lossless. They screwed up the audio track for some reason that got fixed in this one. There was a Christopher Reeve credit glitch that happened in that first movie, which that's kind of a big deal to overlook Chris for Reef that has been fixed. Superman two has an improved Adobey Atmos mix that corrects the various wows that were problems in the audio mix, and there were some pitch issues as well. Superman two, the Richard Donner cut disc has a video fix for the geometry of the iconic final shot of the movie and a couple other random things that was squished horizontally. Superman three the disc was fine, so that one's identical, and then Superman four The Quest for Piece includes an improved atmost mix as well that had some various alternate and incorrect musical performances that were wrong on that first release. So the hard part here, if you have that first release, you have the fancy limited set with all of the broken discs. So what should you do. I'm not gonna say that they will do this, but I will say Warner Brothers actually has a decent track record for this. If you had the original Rambo set of all the four ks, those were littered with theirs as well, and people when they re released those unfixed them. People that bought the original set were able to email Warner Brothers and get fixed discs. So if you got this first set, I highly suggest emailing Warner Brothers. They might be able to help you out because that's a lot to fix and feel slighted by if you got that first one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a tough one. I would hope that they will actually send replacements to people.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I agree with Mozarready says I, if you can provide proof of purchase, you should be able to get the fixed discs. Which there's the hard part too, is this has been a set that has sold second hand a lot in the last two years. So pull out those emails, see what you can do. But yeah, I'm glad they're fixing this. I'm glad they're re releasing these. I didn't buy the first set, but with my kid loving Superman this last weekend. I almost feel kind of obligated to show them all the original Superman's on four K, and this is the way to do it. They also have a standard set that will have all the fixes eventually as well, so may need to check something out there you go. September ninth, we are getting Dark Winds season three from AMC. This is not a show I had ever heard of before I posted this announcement. Do you watch Dark Ones? It sounds like you you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't, but I've definitely heard of it. It's one that George R. Martin has been behind and so I and I love Zoon mcclarn and, who is the lead in it. He was, you know, one of my favorite characters in Doctor Sleep and he just think he's just a fantastic actor. So it's one of these I have so many movies that I'm trying to watch that TV is very limited because it takes up so much time. But this is one that I've had my eye on for quite some time, and so yeah, I might have to see about checking these out at some point.
Speaker 1: Supposedly it's an incredible movie or show, really like really high quality. Everybody that was commenting on this scene to love it, so yeah, I will consider it eventually. It's based on some series of books, says Colton Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the Leehorn and che series.
Speaker 1: And Ronnie, who does watch a lot of TV, says it's been on the watch list for a while, so I get it moving right along. Here is a fun one coming soon. So we don't have a date yet, but we are getting a four K of Remo Williams from Keno Lber. They have released this on Blu Ray already. You can pretty much guarantee all the extras that were on that will be on this. They might even do a new commentary when this gets a date and all that and stuff. How do you feel about Remo Williams. I feel like this is one that you had to have seen.
Speaker 2: Oh. I watched this all the time when I was a kid, so much fun. I actually revisited it when fred ward passed away a few years ago, just to kind of like check it out, because like, when I think of fred Warden, that's where I go. It's either that or Tremor's Tremors for me. Yeah, yeah, or Henry and June, which is a little bit different, probably not the one that I'm jumping to put on.
Speaker 1: But Tremor's Rebote Williams and Henry and Juice.
Speaker 2: But I loved Rema Williams so much as a kid. I revisited it and it was It's still a lot of fun. But Joel Gray's character was a little difficult to watch these days. But I still had fun with the movie, and I love Joel Gray. So you know, it's one of those what you just kind of look past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, Miami Blues. That's a good one. Adam love that movie.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Miami Blues is one of those weird ones that was kind of hard to see on disc for a while, and then it got like three releases in the span of eighteen months. It's like, oh, now everybody has seen it. This is nice.
Speaker 2: Everybody's putting out suddenly.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, next again not a dated release, but Keno Olber putting out a four K of Runaway Train from nineteen eighty five. How do you feel about Runaway Train.
Speaker 2: It's a great movie, and it's I think the thing to know about it is it's not it doesn't end up being the movie that you think it's going to be when it starts. You know, it's like run away. You're watching the escape Convince escaping on a train and it becomes a runaway train, and then it becomes this like internal character piece as they're trying to figure themselves out and stuff, and great movie. Kurosawa, Kira Kurosawa wrote the screenplay, or they adapted a version of the screenplay that he had written for this, and it's definitely worth checking out. I recommend it quite a bit.
Speaker 1: It's a good movie. I certainly like Tony Scott's take on it. I'll keep going. Filmmasters putting out on August twenty sixth they blu ray of Invasion USA. But not the one that you probably think of immediately when you hear Evasion USA. This is the nineteen fifty two double feature of the Cold War era. We were getting two films bonus film on this one, Rocket Attack USA. Film Masters. These are always pressed discs. I got that question a lot this week when I posted these announcements. Just a heads up, Yes, these are press discs. It'll be a great release, promise this one brand new four K restoration of Invasion USA from archival Elements. New four K restoration also of Rocket Attack USA. From the original sixteen millimeter archival elements Crazy and then new audio commentary by Jason A. Nine for Invasion USA. New essay by Toby Rohan on Invasion USA. New audio commentary by c. Courtney Joyner and Mark Jordan Leagan for Rocket Attack USA. New essay by Don Stradley for Rocket Attack USA. And then Ballyho Motion Pictures did Better Dead Than Read Hollywood versus Communism in the fifties, a little documentary for this, and then a new featurette with Anthony Moore, son of the star Gerald Moore, the Mystery Science Theater three thousand episode with Rocket Attack USA. Recut trailers of both like, there is a ton of stuff on this disc. This is reagion free, so you can get this anywhere in the world. You'll be able to watch it. This is a crazy looking release. I've not seen either of these films. Is this something that you're into or.
Speaker 2: I've seen I haven't either, but just interesting fact. Dano Hurleyhey shows up in Invasion USA. So you've got the last star Fighter RoboCop Halloween three connection to it. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Since Sinda kitt the podcast says Rocket Attack USA from Newdy QD master Barry Mahone always happen to see Mahone get the HD treatment and to get a brand new four K scan of archival elements for something like Invasion USA. Nobody else is really doing that besides film Masters for a title like this, this is a really cool thing. I will be supporting this one. This is the one that I want to see more stuff like this for sure.
Speaker 2: I love that they're actually releasing it as a double feature. I think that's such a great idea.
Speaker 1: Most of their mainline they call them special edition releases. Most of them are double features. And what I appreciate is for both of the features, they get supplemental features to put some sort of context on it, whether it be about the director or the genre or anything like that. They do really great work, really great work.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. What if they do or they should do a reversible cover where you flip it over and it's a Rocket Attack USA with your bonus. So yeah, that'd be cool to see them.
Speaker 1: I don't have one within reach. I forgot. I just moved it and I was about to check to see if they do that, and I forgot. Oh god, this is such a terrible cover.
Speaker 2: I forgot this was I hate this type of Yeah, these covers.
Speaker 1: So MGM themselves aka Amazon, putting out on July fifteenth, which you'll notice is in the past. They literally announced this like two days before it released. And I believe this is going to be a BDR, but don't quote me on that. I think it is July fifteenth. They got a blu ray of Town Without Pity from nineteen sixty one, and all they do is photoshop a couple scenes from the film together into the most awkward looking cover art. Obviously Kirk Douglas movie, this is one that probably should have been treated fairly well, and this is what we got. Have you seen Ten Without Pity? No?
Speaker 2: But I know this is one of those where you know, he had worked quite a bit with Dalton Trombo when he was blacklisted, and this is one that he had Trombo come in. And I don't know how much of the screenplay he worked on, but I know that this is one that he had touched the screenplay a bit and of course didn't get credits.
Speaker 1: Right, Adam says, even AI would be embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Right, it's an awful cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is this is truly Bad Next from Severn as part of their sale is Fearless Dragons from nineteen eighty. This will go on sale as part of the summer sale next Thursday night going into Friday. This is the first time on Blu Ray in North America at all, and this says from iconic seventies Hong Kong Studio gold Digg Films Limited. The Dragon Libs Again and Duel the Seven Tigers came from that same studio. Comes one of the favorite action comedies in the history of the genre. When two Wiley con men martial arts movie legends Philip Coe and Brian Lung, they are framed for hijacking a trunk full of charity funds, built joined forces to find the real bandits and a wild series of adventures that lead to an utterly fantastic final battle ranked among the most exciting two on one fight scenes ever, which with that sentence sold special features on this first off scanned in four K from the OCN. Incredible job with that Severn. That's amazing audio commentary with Frank Jing and Michael Wirth, who are great at all of these commentaries that they do. There's an interview with the director Lee Chew there is actor Philip Coe remembers Fearless Dragons and a trailer and again region free anywhere you live. You can get this and watch it on Blu ray Player. That is fantastic.
Speaker 2: I would just pick it up for purely the positions that each of the people jumping are in right in the middle of it, especially the guy on the left and the right. Like that alone sells me on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Shapes films are really fun. This is gonna be great. And this is not a Bruce Floitation film. I had a couple of people ask this was going to be in their next Bruce Ploitation box set because severn Is announced a second one on the way, no date or anything yet, but no, this will not be in that box because it's not Bruce Ploitation. Interesting, this was a fun thing this week. Dark Force Entertainment, who I don't talk about a lot, but this is an important movie. They are putting out the movie Mama's Dirty Girls from nineteen seventy four. This is coming as part of their Drive In collector series. This is going to be a double feature as well, so you've got this one Mama's Dirty Girls. This is directed by John Hayes, who also did Grave at the Vampire and A Garden of the Dead. The original uncut thirty five millimeter negative was found and they were able to scan this one. That is really damn cool. But then the second hit is the extremely rare nineteen seventy German erotica film How to Make Love to a Virgin, which that's pretty damn cool that they're putting this in here. The only special feature on these drive in specials from Force, they have their drive in mode, which means they will show both films back to back with a little intermission in between the two movies, which I think is a really incredible sort of gimmick to put on these. I just wish we had some sort of contextual extra because these movies deserve somebody to talk about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well, Gloria Graham of all people, shows up in the film, and I mean she's like been in so many amazing films, and then I'd love some context of like her career leading to this. You know, that'd be a really interesting but special feature that I'd love to check out.
Speaker 1: Gary's pointing out she has huge hands. Yeah, the perspective here is not great at all. Craig wants to know. Can they pipe in mosquitoes into your living room? Thankfully that technology does not exist yet.
Speaker 2: Uh the worst.
Speaker 1: That and like crying babies from three cars over next, this is an odd one. So I'm not gonna mention this for too long because it actually did not last. But for a long about eight minute period, Lionsgate Limited had restocked The Man who Fell to Earth four K steel book that has been going for decent money secondhand, and so it looked like there's gonna be another chance to pick this up. But it has disappeared from their website pretty much immediately after I posted this, and then everybody started crying because they couldn't go buy it. I'm sorry. What I'm getting from this is this will likely get restocked. They just probably were not able to have it available yet, so if that does happen, I will try to update. This is one of those times where if you remember the Patreon of a part of the discord, you'll get updated much quicker that way, most likely, So please come hang out if you want to. This is the kind of thing that doesn't always deserve another post, but if it does, we will absolutely be talking about it in the discord. Great movie, incredible looking steel book on this I don't always love steel books, but the way they designed the Bowie Steel Book is kind of perfect here. It's worth a watch, It's worth an own, absolutely, absolutely something to look forward to if you're after it.
Speaker 2: I'd love to pick that up if if it pops up at the right moment when I'm looking at their site.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's the hard part. Hopefully it's back for good soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, this surprised me. This week September ninth, Universal releasing a four K of Cissy says Cissy Spasic Man my tongue Twisters tonight are bad coal miner's daughter from nineteen eighty getting a four K release. How do you feel about this one, Andy.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a great musical biopick, like if you like those films. I mean, they do a great job with this one. I believe it's Tommy Lee Jones who plays her husband, right yeah, and it's I mean Cissy Spacek just nails the role and does it so well. I would be curious to actually revisit this one and see how it played for me after all this time. But I don't know. I'm a little well tuckered out on music biopics at the moment, so it's not urgent, but this is one that I would be more inclined to watch.
Speaker 1: I watched this a lot as a child. My grandmother and that whole side of the family was very conservative minded, at least when it came to movies. So like I grew up watching like Fried Green Tomatoes was a movie that I saw probably once a week, and this is one of those that was just in that rotation. So I've seen this countless times. But because I saw it so much, I don't think I've seen this movie in like twenty eight years, I've had no desire to watch it again. That being said, I remember really enjoying it and to own it on four K and be able to watch it again in twenty twenty five that way is kind of incredible, no kidding. And yeah, Sibners saying, got to give you Universal credit. It's definitely been longer than six months since they put out the Blu ray. Yeah, Universal is doing really well at the moment actually, But yeah, the biopic thing is is tough. It's kind of hard to watch any music biopick, especially after Dewey Cox that ruined them for me, because it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just put that in then and and Weird back to back, and that pretty much covers the whole gamut of expectations.
Speaker 1: Uh, Weird, Did you like Weird?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know, I didn't actually watch it. I'm It's one that I'm very curious to, but every time I go to put it on, it's like there's always something else to do.
Speaker 1: But I mean to it's all right, I feel again, I hate to say it because it was another parody, but like dewey Cox even like took the wind out of the sales of Weird. If that happened earlier, it would have been like, oh, this is a masterpiece, and then dewey Cox could have won uped it. But no, dewey Cox has just kind of ruined the entire genre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's really funny.
Speaker 1: Uh. Next, we got some details on the How to Train Your Dragon release from this year. This is the live action remake. I'm sure most of us sort of agree about the live action remake thing. Are you somebody that's watched those are a fan of them? Or are you blatantly against them? Like most of us.
Speaker 2: I there was a period I mean, you know, we started with things like one hundred one Dalmatians and Glenn Close was amazing, and there were there were reasons where they could do something and it could play okay, yeah, and then it just hit like shot for shot sorts of remakes and I'm like, if you're gonna go live action, do like a Maleficent or Honestly, my favorite of all of them is probably Pete's Dragon, which takes that I mean, I loved it as a kid, but it's not actually that great if you visit it, but they made an amazing movie out of it, like that's how you do a live action remake of something. And it's just like these are all just like just rehashes, and I just I would love to actually just to test and see if audiences are buying into it in re like, take something that's that's a live action movie, like I don't know what's a like like I don't know, Hirs of the Caribbean and do a shot for shot animated version of that, and are they gonna make money? Sadly probably they would, yeah, yeah, for sure. So but it's just one of these things like we just don't need them, and so this is not one that I'm interested in because I love the original trilogy so much.
Speaker 1: I do too. I've got all three of the original trilogy four K steel books right over here. They're They're gorgeous. Love those. I went and saw this, took my kids amazingly. It was great. Uh, not really anything to complain about the funny part. It's just the exact same movie, Like I have no Yeah, I had no reason to go see this. It was just there. I mean there were scenes in this where I I I think I made the show a couple of weeks ago, but when I came home, I was thinking, like, did they even make the guy's hair move the exact same way as it was in the animated version, because it looked that identical. I again, this will look beautiful. It's crazy. But then there's stuff like the quote live action lion King that was literally just animated too, Like.
Speaker 2: What are we doing? I know, it's bizarre. The whole thing is just a strange way to make more money.
Speaker 1: It's weird. So this is all coming on August twelfth. There's gonna be a four K steal book, a standard four K, a Blu ray, and a DVD that you can get of How to Train Your Dragon from Universal HDR Dolby Atmos. On the four K release, there's gonna be a director's commentary on the whole film, which is kind of interesting. I kind of want to hear this, even though I do not want to purchase this disc. I want to hear what the same director is going to say about making this film live action after he did everything else. You got deleted scenes, you've got making of, you've got walking onto the set, whole bunch of features. They're kind of doing this right at least for the physical release, but I don't know, again, not necessary at all. Yeah, I love this question. Where's the live action remake a belladon of Sadness? That is a great question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw somebody else throw in Sophie's choice. I'm like, yeah, let's se there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one could do well. Siba says, what's my shelving order? I have Mary Poppin's shelves. It's not that they're everywhere, it's that I have. I don't know how good this will show up. I have little acrylic display shelves for steal books, so I've got just nine of them set up right there. But it's a trilogy and these three are perfect for it, so yeah, they're right there. I'm sorry, Let's go to our next one. Speaking of animation, Kung Fu Panda two, which is probably the best one in that series, is getting a four K release from Universal on September ninth. No new extras on this, but I actually really like the century into the franchise, so I might pick this one up. I don't have Shrek yet either, which I also loved. But are you into any of these animation ones?
Speaker 2: I love them, the Kung Fu Panda ones. It's it's funny. It's the first trilogy or first series of films where like I took my kids to it, and then the fourth one came out and my son's like, oh, my friends and I are going to see it. I'm like, oh, I want to take it now, we want to go together. I'm like, oh, just like I realized, I lost my buddy to go see some of these within the theater, so I'm like, all right, have fun. Yeah, but they're great movies. I do enjoy them quite a bit.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're surprisingly good, and the casting is great, like the fact that we have jack Black and Jackie Chan as two of the main characters in these is incredible.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, it's a fantastic group of people that they have going.
Speaker 1: To the next one another really awfully photoshopped cover. Universal releasing My Dead Friend Zoe from this Year on Blu Ray on September sixteenth. No extras on this, But the big thing that you can get is, I think that's supposed to be Morgan Freeman and this is supposed to be Ed Harris.
Speaker 2: What is Wow? Just the worst? This is so bad? Like, were were they not able to access the the movie.
Speaker 1: Poster to itself? Right?
Speaker 2: I mean, geez, it's a terrible poster. I've heard nothing but good things about the film. Really want to check it out. But yeah, this this poster is atrocious.
Speaker 1: Atrocious is almost even being too kind, which is hilarious. Yeah, Morgan Freeman, Ed Harris and Natalie Moralis, who secretly is kind of always incredible. Yeah, I definitely want to see this one. I've heard it's good.
Speaker 2: I'm actually looking at that that is the same as the theatrical release poster. It just looks like they even extra photoshopped it, like put extra shading on people's faces. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yikes. Del's The cover looks like AI got rogue. Oh man, yeah this this posters? Yeah, Megan two point zero. Did you see this one?
Speaker 2: No? I was. I enjoyed the first movie. It was fun. It wasn't one that I wanted to return to, but I thought they did it. They made a really fun film with it. And then I saw the trailer for the second one. I'm like, wow, they took that in a direction I wasn't expecting at all, And then I just didn't hear anything good. So I just I didn't bother.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Saw the first one. I thought it was fine. I didn't love the first one like everybody else, but I thought it was fine. This one I hated. This was not great. But we got some details. September twenty third, four K steelbook and a standard four K Blue ray, plus they're doing a DVD released and a Blu ray and all that. But also they're doing a double feature four K release and a Blu Ray release if you want both movies at once. But the big thing is, when I saw the first movie, it was not in theaters. I watched it at home and I watched the unrated version, which I then saw the theatrical and I found I loved the unrated version way more than the theatrical I didn't love either one, but the unrated definitely made it better, And of course they're going all in on that as well. So the second one has an unrated version. It says upgraded with enhanced kills, deleted scenes, and more blood and carnage. You probably should have released that in theaters. It might have done better. Yeah, this one has an HGR presentation for the movie. We've got Dolby at most and then some featurettes on here. There's a scene breakdown, stuff like that. Not too shabby on the features. This one is interesting. So I was on Reddit checking out some of the physical media subreddits that they have, and there's a user who is a Tractoris twelve who posted that he made a Blu ray price tracker. You can find this at valueflick dot com, except it's v a l u flick dot Now. I am not affiliated with the site or anything like that. I just found that I thought it would be useful and so I wanted to share it with the world when I came across it, he says on the website. I built valueflick because my own steel books and limited run discs were piling up and I had no clue what they were worth from one week to the next. Spreadsheets were paying price threads were all over the place, so I wrote some code to pull in recent sales, graft the swings, and keep my shelf cataloged in one tidy spot. It's still just be tweaking the site between movie nights, but I've opened it up in case other collectors want the same quick reality check before buying, trading, or selling. If it saves you a little guest work and maybe a few bucks, I'll call that a win. So I saw this and I immediately thought, well, if I want to buy something that seems valuable to me, because I don't want to overspend, so if I see something as trending on the lower side, I don't have to go, you know, on like a Facebook group and say, hey, you're selling this for ninety dollars, I'll buy it for ninety dollars if it's only selling for like sixty bucks. And I don't want to go through eBay and parts through all these so this is pretty cool to me. What's interesting, though, is I posted this and the guy who coded the site, DMed me about four hours later and said, hey, I posted this to Reddit and not much happened, but then you posted this and the site crashed. Me posting this brought him a ton of traffic, and so he started asking what compelled me to even post about it, and if I had any ideas that he could implement. And so we've been chatting every day since I posted this, and I've given him a bunch of stuff. He's got all kinds of things he's tweaking behind the scenes on this that actually are probably going to be super useful. So if everybody is keeping an eye on this, this will be changing pretty much daily. He is working on this kind of NonStop. Sibner says, do we have to enter each and every title in there? If you mean like to search for it at the moment? Yes, but you can make a collection. So if you've got all kinds of stuff, you can scan and log in and make an account and make a collection on there, and that way you can track your stuff all in one place. We got a question that says, I wonder how accurate the tracker is. It's scraping straight from eBay sold prices, so it's there's not even a question on if it's accurate these are actually what they're selling for. The hard part is there's all kinds of older or more obscure or rare titles that there's nothing in there because there's no sales, So that part isn't entirely useful yet. However, he's got some ideas, and I gave him some ideas that I think will make it much more useful. I agree Zepam. I think it would be useful if you could import from other apps, because right now I'm not scanning eleven thousand releases to put it in there. But also, like for me, I don't I don't need to know what my collection's worth. That's not why I would use it. I guess if I was trying to sell something, I might use it as a gauge rather than searching on eBay. And yes, I believe you can search by isbn krinn. I'm not entirely sure by that. I think you can, though I know that he already since I did this, he already implemented a new feature that's not in the screenshot, where you can enter in titles yourself so that he can add those to the database so you can go check that feature out. But yeah, to me, at least, I think this seems like something that could be useful, especially if he does implement some of the things we've talked about. So keep an eye on it.
Speaker 2: I love the idea. Yeah, it's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And again, not to sell things. I had a lot of people say you shouldn't be, you know, taking your collection, speculating and only holding things because there were something. I agree, That's not why I want it. I want it because if I want a title, like I just traded for this Jackie Chan thing. To find out if I should trade for it or go buy it, I had to go scour a bunch of sites and find out that none of them had it listed, find out what it had sold for, see about what it's worth, and if I could just do that in one place, that's perfect. Yeah, awesome. Next up Lionsgate Limited. Again, we were talking about them a moment ago. They announced a four K release of High Tension, the two thousand and three new French extremity released from Alexander Aja. This has all kinds of what they're calling lines Gate Limited extras, which are I believe are all the same that we're on the second site release of this when it got released. But this is a four K steal book. You can get this and it will be shipping on August twelfth, that is the release date. And the other things is this has a legacy bonus features on here. It's got the audio commentary with the AJA and the writer from years ago, another scene specific audio commentary. It's got some other featurettes that I don't believe these were on the second site release. So yeah, high Tension, are you a new French extremity fan?
Speaker 2: You know, it's fun film. I had a great time watching it until the twist when I found myself struggling with it quite a bit. But largely I think that AA is doing, like did some great work with it, and you could see why Hollywood pulled him in to do some other things over here.
Speaker 1: Yes, z Pam says, unfortunately the artwork is missing Morgan Freeman. Yeah, that's perfect. The big thing here a lot of people not loving the artwork or absolutely loving the artwork. This is the same artist Mexifunk that does the steal books for Screen Factory lately that are just overall mostly bad in my opinion. Sorry Mexifunk. No shade meant to you, but uh, just not my style. But it seems like they're clicking with some people. Not not for me though. The other Steel book, Oh, I guess we'll get to that one in just a minute, because Criterion I was announcing and they completely interrupted my life and stuff. Let's get into Criterion first, fire walk with Me. Got a four case steal deal book that'd be weird from Criterion fourt coming on October seventh. Tell us about your love of Twin Peaks and David Lynch.
Speaker 2: Sir, I love David Lynch. What's funny is that I only just like in the last year, finally decided I needed to do Twin Peaks, like that was my big gaping hole in my Lynch filmography. So I actually plowed through the entire nineties show, watched this movie, watched the new show, and I loved it all.
Speaker 1: This movie worked.
Speaker 2: I mean, it worked so well for me the way that it really gave us the story of Laura Palmer that we really weren't getting otherwise, and so I found it to be probably the most powerful of the entire run for me. I mean, it was surprisingly like I just wasn't expecting it to hit as emotionals.
Speaker 1: It did. Yeah, especially when absorbing Twin Peaks as a whole, this movie hits really hard. I don't know. It's Lynch, so obviously there's already something special there. But this movie is sort of, I don't know, a weird anomaly and how like how personal it feels because of how lived in some of the characters are, at least for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, truly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again it's Criterion, so no new extras or anything like that, but October seventh. This will look beautiful in four K, I'm sure. Then another one that has banded looked beautiful, Eyes without a Face from nineteen sixty getting a four K released from Criterion on October fourteenth. No new extras, but you've got the four K disc and the blu ray disc. Eyes Without a Face tell me about it, Andy.
Speaker 2: This is one that I have yet to see, and I even had a friend send it to me. So I have the disc sitting right back here, and I just I keep forgetting that I have it sitting there. I absolutely need to just pull it out and check it out. So in fact, I will as soon as I've been here that I'm going to write a note that's what I'm going to finally watch.
Speaker 1: It's a great movie. Everybody should check this out. It is fantastic. October twenty First, they are releasing a blu ray of David Cronenberg's The Shrouds. Now, what's odd here is this is coming as part of their Criterion Premier's line. So this used to be the Janis Contemporaries line that they had done, and then a couple of weeks ago they announced the first Janis Premiere or Criterion Premiers, and this is now the second. So this will be the exact same thing thirty dollars MSRP. But what gets to a lot of people is this is Cronenberg. This isn't like some nobody that is an indie director doing this as their first time. This is going to have a Meet the filmmaker's featurette on here, which we get on all of the Janis Contemporaries and now Criterion Premiers. But it's Kronenberg. Most of us have heard of him before, and I'm sure that this will be the first movie for some. But it is sort of odd to give this a release like this and not a mainline release when it's Cronenberg I've said that a lot. Now. The other big complaint, I've had a lot of people ask about a four K release. I don't think they're going to choose to do four K for this line because they want to keep that MSRP at thirty bucks, and when it goes on sale for fifteen there's no way they're selling a four K disc for fifteen bucks. They will lose money. Literally.
Speaker 2: My hunt with this is like I'm trying to figure out like what their motivation is, and I'm wondering if they're just testing this one out, because i mean, the theatrical play of this was very short, and I'm wondering if they're just doing kind of a test run to see if there's a big crowd for this one, and if so, they might pull it into Criterion as a four K down the road, you know.
Speaker 1: Would be an interesting choice, especially if they filled it with extras. I've still not seen The Shrouds. I was supposed to see it at the film festival here in Kansas City called Panicfest and ended up not being able to drive up that night. But I am worried I am going to hate this, but I'm very curious to check it out. Yeah, I did not like the most recent one before this, so we shall see interesting speaking to Cronenberg History of Violence coming on four K and Blu ray from Criterion on October twenty First, now, we've talked about some art tonight that people have liked and disliked. This by far has been the most divisive art of the week. I have never seen so many hateful comments about a piece of art. How do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: I would say it's definitely art. It's not just like a photo from the film, like they're doing something really interesting and creative with it. And to that end, knowing the film, I actually think that there's something interesting that they have going on with it. I wouldn't say I hate it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite piece of art, like cover design that they've come up with, but I do think that it's for a Cronenberg film. It actually it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: I again, I'm going to say almost the exact same thing the mozart ist here. I don't know why I like this, but I think this is great to me. I mean, this person and shrouded with this red very different, like very evocative color up against this very idyllic background is the movie that is History of Violence, Like, I feel it fits perfectly. I don't hate anything about this. I mean the clouds are almost Simpsons like, like there's almost this borderline like Norman Rockefeller or Norman Rockwell type of filling, like to the overall Americana of it all. I really like this new four K digital restoration supervised by the DP and approved by Cronenberg. You had a five point once around DTSHD Master audio soundtrack. You do have Dolby Vision HDR, so this is gonna look pretty damn good. We got an audio commentary with Cronaberg on this new interview of the screenwriter Josh Olson, conducted by Tom Bernardo, excerpts from Cronelberg and Vigo Mortensen in conversation with the twenty fourteen Tiff Festival, a documentary on the making of the movie, a bunch of older archival featurettes, and then an essay by Nathan Lee. Excited to pick this one up. This was definitely gonna be in October or depending on the sale the flashhill for the site, either October or Barnes and Noble pickup in November for sure. Yeah, yeah, lots of comments on the art, Let's let those lie next. The most exciting thing from Criteria for me this month October twenty First, a four K and blu ray release of Ken Russell's Altered States. Have you seen Altered States? Sir?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, in the theater too on thirty five back in the day, not on its initial release, but it came through campus and when I was in college. And it is a just a whack of do trip of a film. But I mean, Patty Chayevsky is such a fantastic screenwriter, and just the Ken Russell craziness of it all that we have going on here. It is a really crazy, trippy film, absolutely worth checking out. And if you can see this one in a theater, I mean, it really plays well on the big screen.
Speaker 1: I've never seen this in a theater and I'm so jealous right now. I adore this movie. I've seen this movie probably at least five or eight times, fairly recently watched it again to talk about on another show, and man, this movie still hits hard. There's a lot of really relevant discussion in it. I really appreciate the way that Russell does the like the tightrope balancing act of making a very smart movie without condescending to the audience like we get in a lot of modern filmmaking. He just sort of assumes that you're going to meet him halfway. And what's great is that sort of relevant to the storyline as well. Like William Hurt absolutely does that to every single person, sometimes to his detriment. But it a beautifully made movie. I'm certainly you know, the final couple climactic moments I have never looked great. I'm sort of worried how that's gonna look in for K. But this movie will absolutely shine in every way. I mean, there are scenes in this that are extra dark that will look beautiful in four K. Just very very excited about this. I will say I don't see anything on this that tells me that there's a hint here, but this being a Warner movie directed by Ken Russell, I can't help but feel like we're getting actually closer to a release of The Devils. I'm not gonna conjure that necessarily, but I feel like that might actually be a realistic possibility soon.
Speaker 2: Who knows this is what there is there shint Ken Russell film that they've put out at least Yeah, Jackie. I can't remember if there's more, but yeah, and I will just say this one. The cover art is spectacular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by far the best of the week. Like, this is absolutely astonishing cover art and even compared to the one that I like that we just talked about, this is mind blowing. I really hope that this artist, who is I will shout him out Richie Beckett, gets a lot more work because it is beautiful. I love the the DM I just got from Craig about the art specifically.
Speaker 2: It is Criterion, second is women in Love and then this.
Speaker 1: I was loading that in another time, so thank you. We had Dolby Vision on this, so yeah, to look great. New audio commentary with the one and only Sam Degan, which is incredible. I'm so stoked that she was able to speak on this one. That's gonna be amazing. Archival interviews with Ken Russell and William Hurt, new interview with the special effects designer Brand Farren, and then an essay by Jessica King. Yeah, this is a must for me. I may even pre order this one, watch it literally just as soon as possible. I think this is a masterpiece. This is an odd one now, so October twenty eighth, we're getting a four K Blu ray dual format release of Germo del Toro's Nightmare Alley. However, it is quite different because this is the black and white version of the film, So this is Nightmare Alley Vision in darkness and light, a new black and white extended director's cut supervised by del Toro. Of course, this one is going to have a four K digital master of the theatrical version of the film with it with Dolby atmost two four K discs, so you've got Dolby Vision on both two Blu rays, with the films and special features. New audio commentary by del Toro on the extended director's cut, new documentary on the film's performances, visual language, costume and production design and score, new conversation between del Toro and the producer Bradley Cooper, new conversation between del Toro and the Coast Green writer Kim Morgan, and then an essay by crime fiction and true crime expert Sarah Wineman. This is a really cool release. I also really enjoyed the cover art on this one. I sadly have still not seen del Toro's Nightmare Alley at all. How do you feel about this release.
Speaker 2: Sir, I am very excited. I they released the I mean, it wasn't the extended cut of it, but they released the black and white version of it theatrically around the time that the film came out, and I went and saw that in the theater and I loved it.
Speaker 1: It just was it worked.
Speaker 2: It played so well in black and white for this story. So I'm very excited for what they're doing here. I'm curious because it's got the the theatrical cut, but does it say if it's if it's color or are they only releasing the Is this disc only black and white versions of it?
Speaker 1: They don't really specify here. I'm not entirely sure. I know that they've got the theatrical version, but that could also just be black and white too, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Well, it's a great one. I'm always fascinated when filmmakers take their film and whether they intentionally wanted to or not, like release it in black and white, and then they actually get the chance to actually do so. I'm always excited about about that, and so because I think that it can play in such a different way, and this was a film that worked really well in both ways.
Speaker 1: Ben is saying it will be color. That's what the theatrical cut was. Guys, well, I think.
Speaker 2: That theatrical cut was. Yeah. I was released black and white as well.
Speaker 1: As well at the same time, so it could kind of go either way. And the hard part with this, I think this was Universal that he made this through. I think Universal has a four K out already of the original version. Whoever the studio was, I think it's Universal. It is possible that they're they theoretically could make a contract with Criteria that says you can't release it in color. I'm not saying that they did, but yeah, I'm not sure, not sure. Interesting it was played in black and white literally at the same time when the original came out, because he if I remember, he'd at least New York and LA he played the black and white version like for the Oscar stuff, right when the original release was.
Speaker 2: They were I mean it it was maybe like it came out like a few weeks later or something. It was at a period where you know, people were not wanting to go back to the movie theaters and so they're coming up with ways, what can we do, and this was something that they said, Oh, now you can watch this the black and white version.
Speaker 1: So I wonder which, as I tried to vampire, how do you how do you feel about Del Toro as a whole? I, you know, I love how incredibly creative he is and the worlds that he creates.
Speaker 2: I often find that I love his creativity more than his output where I land down but night. Morally, it actually may be my favorite film of his films, wow, which I don't know if that speaks to kind of like what I generally think of the other films. I think they're interesting, like incredibly creative, but I just have never I have just never quite loved them, you know.
Speaker 1: So on their website for this release, they have screenshots in color as well as black and white, so I have a feeling that it would be in color. To me, it would be kind of weird false advertising if they included the color ones and did not have the color version on there. Right. Yeah, Oh, look at that. Aaron just went and did the exact same thing. The Criteria website has color still swamp taking that as color of black and white. Oh, that was almost perfect. You had to have been typing that like as I started speaking. That was perfect. Del Toro as a whole. Did I say that?
Speaker 2: Well, how do you think of Del Toro as a whole?
Speaker 1: Like, oh, look at the cover, Look at the right, that's the whole I'm talking about. Not never mind. Okay, So, like I said, we had a couple of these mixed up lines. Gate Limited. The second steel book that they announced coming out on August twelfth is this is It follows from twenty fourteen. This is a tenth anniversary four K edition with Dolby Vision HDR, first time on four K in the US. The big thing is this is the second Site four K master and all of the extras on here we're on the second site release except for the legacy special features that they're including here. We're not able to be licensed to Second Site, So there is stuff on this that is not on the second site disc and second site. If you've got the limited edition, you've got the booklet, I guess. But literally, it's the exact same restoration, it's the exact same on disc, supplemental features and more so, this is a pretty compelling release if you are into steel books and you don't have that deluxe release, and it's to me, like this is a pretty steal book. I like the cover, I like that the inside is kind of gruesome. For this movie, good movie. Have you seen it?
Speaker 2: Follows? I have? And actually it fits well into like our upcoming Jay Horror conversation because it very much feels like something like with this never ending curse that you just can't get rid of, right, And so yeah, it's a movie that plays. I think it plays really well. I'm close to compelled to pick this one up. Nice.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful movie. Very curious to see how this whole sequel thing comes out that they're working on right now, so we shall see. And then there was a Criterion title that I had posted all the announcements, and I guess I got there before Criterion had finished loading them all. So I didn't see this one at first, but then somebody said that they were intrigued by this one. I went, what is Deep Crimson? Criterion also releasing on October twenty eighth, a four of Deep Crimson. They're also releasing this on Blu Ray. This is from nineteen ninety six and it says one of the peaks of subversive Mexican director Arturo Ripstein's Cinema out Cinema of outsiders. This deliriously perverse portrait of obsessive love dares audiences to see the humanity and the most sordid of anti heroes. A lonely hearts advertisement leads lusty nurse Coral to Nicholas, a con man with whom she forges an increasingly intense, twisted bond as they crisscross nineteen forties Mexico, robbing and murdering the women he seduces. This sounds kind of incredible. I'm very curious to check this out. Love the color on this one. The cover art looks great. New four K digital restoration of the director's cut, supervised and approved by the director. You got a four K disc of the movie and a Blu ray with the movie in special features new interviews with a director and screenwriter. There's a panel discussion from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences featuring the director and a couple others, hosted by Christina Venegas film scholar Hayden Guessed and uh yeah, Owen Owen Smith kind of killed the cover art on this. I think, deep Crimson. Have you seen or heard of this one?
Speaker 2: I hadn't, but I mean everything about it sounds so up my alley. It's just it sounds like such a compelling, interesting, dark story, you know, and so I haven't even heard of the director. So it's it's one of these that I'm just I feel like I just need to start with this s director or start right here. Yeah, but yeah, I'm very curious.
Speaker 1: Lots and lots of good comments, So yeah, I agree, this sounds incredible. I definitely need to check this one out.
Speaker 2: The story sounds a little bit the Honeymoon Killers esque.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yes, kind I just talked about that one with someone else and look Krinn just it's just commented, oh yeah, oh perfect timing. Uh okay.
Speaker 3: So uh.
Speaker 1: Culture Shock releasing a company that we have not talked about very much over the last two and a half years. There's still a lot and they just put out a re release of the movie Thrust that they had released when they were a Vinegar Syndrome OCN partner label. Except it's kind of a re release and kind of not. This is Thrust the Punk cut, so this is a completely different cut of the movie. It's also got new bonus features and essentially the director was not happy with the previous release and wanted to do a bunch of different stuff, and so here it is now. It can still be in print. They've got this available. You can pre order this from the tearr Vision website or the Gray Face website. Lots of good stuff attached to this one. I think that people are gonna be happy if you liked the first release. This is not just a re release the exact same thing. I think that you're gonna be stoked that you're getting something different. At least. Re releases are not great usually, but considering the difference, I'm okay with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds interesting. I've never heard of this one, but it sounds really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably true of a lot culture shock title. Sadly going to our next one. This is so far one of the more enticing Severn titles for me. They are releasing on Blu ray Ferret Vampire from nineteen eighty two, and this is going to be a really nice looking sideloading release. You've got the booklet with us and everything. This is the first time on home video in America ever. This is from jajh Hers, the award winning writer director of Morgiana, The Ninth Heart and The Cremator. Cremator is amazing, by the way and subversive genius of the Czech new wave comes the disturbing Shocker driven by cultural provocation, political paranoia, and a supercharge take on the vampire mythos now on disc for the first time ever in America, and it says when Ferrett Motors introduces a new high performance sports car, a trauma doctor investigates a bizarre theory that the vehicle is a biological machine fueled by human blood. That just sounds incredible. This is going to have a commentary by Michael Brook who does great on check films. There's an archival commentary with Lars Dryer Winklman that was revised and re recorded in English. Actually, there is a person undergoing a strange sequence of events actress that is in this remembers the film. There's a piece with a screenwriter Legend of the Blood Car visual essay by Steven Brumer, who does a lot of experimental filmmaking under his label up in Canada, so that's cool to get him on here. From archival interviews and a look at the prototype that was used for the ferret in this movie. There's also a nineteen ninety two Check TV movie based on Vampire Limited author Joseph and Nibaba's nineteen sixty six short story More Dare that's really damn cool. And then there's a booklet with the original short story that was in this and then a new introduction by Check science fiction historian Ivan Adamovic. Yeah, this to me seems like a must. This looks incredible.
Speaker 2: It sounds I've never heard of it, but it sounds just total crazy and definitely something that I would love to pick up. So just a vampire car thing like I don't even know. Yeah, you know, but like you don't see that every day, right.
Speaker 1: No, I mean this sounds like Christine on steroids. I guess. Yeah, this sounds incredible. Yeah, and the art looks very good. A lot of people commenting on the art. Yeah, the art for this looks very fun. All right, I guess we'll talk about this for a second. Michael Madson passed away recently, coming as a shock to everybody in the discord that has made that too a running joke, which is hilarious. By the way, I got asked to contribute a small piece in memoriam to a cinepunk's right up that we did. There's like fifteen people that wrote on Michael Madson, all covering different films, very very fun pieces to read through and just kind of revisit everything that Madson has touched over the years. A lot of great names. Billy Ray Bruton is the one that kind of brought everybody together for this. You got Winter Mitchell, who is incredible, bj Colangelo who's amazing, Austin Proctor, all kinds of people, Jason Schahan, Jason Kleeberg, Michael Weyers. Yeah, lots of great names. Go check out over on Sinepunk's It's a fun ride Up.
Speaker 2: What film were you talking about?
Speaker 1: The one that I used the picture for Sin City when I first heard that he passed, Like one of the scenes that I first thought of was that doc scene and him and Willis going back and forth in front of the little girl in this movie is just man, it's so so rough to watch in that moment. I love this movie and God, this movie is beautiful. Next up, the film that kind of frustrated some people. This week, we are getting on September twenty third, a Blu Ray release of the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas from nineteen eighty two. Starring, of course, Burt Reynolds and Dolly Parton. Frustrating because this already has a Blu ray, but they were not able to get a OCN scan. I think the only thing that exists for this anymore is an a positive. So this got a two K scan of that thirty five millimeter interpositive that is a brand new master, so it will look better than the old blue ray probably. There's also a new audio commentary on this by Paul Anthony Nelson and Perry Cummings, another new audio commentary by Brian Reisman and Max every and then some archival extras. But yeah, this is one that I would say, like, don't wait on a four K because they're probably never going to get a at least not a not an actual four K release on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fun film for sure. I mean, we did a Colin Higgins series over on the next reel looking at is sadly very short filmography, and this was It was a very lively fun film to end on, and I as I mean as much fun as Burt Reynolds and Dolly Partner are in them as Charles Derning, who totally totally stole the show for me. It is very, very funny, So if you haven't seen, it's definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this movie's a blast. There is a I guess spoiler, but there's a piece being written for a issue of the magazine coming up on Burt Reynolds, and I've been wanting to watch like ten of his movies back to back, so this might be a good time to get started. Imprint, Oh my gosh, so Imprint had all kinds of stuff that we get to talk about. We've got Tales of Adventure just pouring out of every poor It seems like these are all coming out on Blu Ray on September twenty fourth, and we're getting three different Tales of Adventure box sets. This first one collection number seven, already number seven. This has The Thief of Baghdad from nineteen twenty four, and if that wasn't enough, you get The Thief of Baghdad from nineteen forty. I still not had your full the Thief of Baghdad from nineteen sixty one. So all of these are takes on the one thousand and one Night's Story. Of course, you get a bunch of extras on this. You got new visual essays by Martin Terrio, some commentaries. All of them have extras on here, including Let's see the nineteen forty version as a new commentary by Josh Nielsen, This says, new visual essay by David Huckvale. This is a lie. Huckfiel didn't do anything for this release. That's actually Philip Jeffries who did a piece on this one, and it's supposed to be great. So I'm excited to see that one. And then the newest film from nineteen sixty one is new commentary by Adrian Smith, new visual essay by FELIPA. Barry. Yeah, are you into the adventure style films that Imprint has done?
Speaker 2: You know, I always checking them out when they release them. I haven't picked any of them up yet, you know. It's one of those things that they're intriguing to me, but I haven't quite wanted to push the button just yet. But yeah, but every one of them has I found intriguing. Probably be happy with any of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The hard part is they are quite expensive. So, as Chris says over on Facebook, if you want to own all of these, it's only about two thousand dollars, right, and a couple of them I think like the first four maybe are out of print already and go for some change, So good luck with that. The next one is much larger than the one we just talked about. Tells of Adventure Collection eight just spans from nineteen sixteen to nineteen seventy one. This has so much in it, twenty thousand Leagues under the Sea from nineteen sixteen, Master the World from nineteen sixty one, Valley of the Dragons from nineteen sixty one that's the first time ever on blu ray in the World War, Gods of the Deep from nineteen sixty five, Rocket to the Moon from nineteen sixty seven, and then The Light at the Edge of the World from seventy one. Just like the last one, limited to only fifteen hundred copies for the hard box. They'll likely do a standard release when this sells out. I think they have for the other ones that have sold out. But if you want, like if these are your jam and you absolutely want them, you may want to take a look at the you sooner than later, because some people really like these movies, and this one's got a film that people have wanted for quite some time. We've got new extras on a bunch of these, another new Philip Jefferies visual essay on Master the World, new visual essay by Andy Marshall Roberts on Visit Price on that disc as well. War Gods of the Deep gets a new commentary by Jonathan Rigby and Kevin Lyons. There's some archival extras, more new commentaries, including one with Kim Newman and Stephen Jones, and then they poured it over the Light at the End of the World extras that were on the previous release of this supplemental features, Andy, what type of features do you prefer?
Speaker 2: You know, I love commentary, that's usually kind of the first one that I look at. I already talked about my love of soundtracks when they include those, But I really enjoy strong visual essays or like just interesting visual essays. You know, I think they're great, and I mean any just like critical thought that goes along with it, like there. You know a lot of them have some fantastic write ups that come with with discs. You know, I'm a big fan of any of that sort of stuff. There was a day where I would like watch all of the trailers when they would include trailers, or flip through all the different posters, and you know, sometimes I'll still take a glance at some of that, but I've I don't know, I feel like I hit my limit with those, and now I'm just looking for like the interesting conversations about things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm kind of the same way. Commentaries are difficult nowadays. I really just love a really well researched visual essay. I think, yeah, well that's a lot of adventure, but that's still not enough. We've got collection number nine here, which I think is the one that most people are by far the most excited about. I have a feeling this one's going to sell pretty quickly for them. Once again, limited only fifteen hundred, so pay attention to that. This is covering from nineteen seventy four to seventy eight, so nice tight time span here. But we get the land that time forgot at the Earth's core, the people that time forgot, and then the big one for so many people for the first time on Blu ray anywhere in the world, Warlords of Atlantis from nineteen seventy eight. So I saw quite a few people saying they were going to buy this simply to get that last film on Blu Ray finally, which more power to you. That's that's some dedication again. Lots of new extras. We got new commentary by Kim Newman and Stephen Jones, new interviews with the director Kevin Connor, who directed this in nineteen seventy four. That's pretty freaking special. More new commentaries and interviews. There's just a lot like the if this is your type of film, Imprint is giving you a lot of value with these movies, for sure.
Speaker 2: And The Land of the Time for God is the only one of any of these three sets that I've actually seen, and it's a fun movie. It's it's kind of crazy, but it's definitely one that I would like that that is the one that would peak my curiosity to pick this setup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean, you know we were talking about bad art earlier. I just want to shout out how great these old school poster art always were. Like for some of these movies, the poster is the best part of the film.
Speaker 2: Sure, even if half the stuff on the poster doesn't actually happen in the film almost never.
Speaker 1: But I also love too that Imprint is kind of embracing that craziness on the actual box art too. These are great looking sets. Yeah, yeah, more Imprint. We've talked about this before Bewitched. They're putting out two seasons at a time because they're really restoring these properly. They're going above and beyond to do it right. And so on September twenty fourth, they're doing the fourth set of these. We got season seven and eight covers nineteen seventy to nineteen seventy two. This is an eight disc set. You also have one hundred and twenty six page hardcover book for all of you hardcore Bewitched fans, which there are still a lot of people. This has some new extras on here. There is fifty four different episodes by Sony and they're gonna look incredible. I mean, yeah, Imprint does really great with TV work. I'm just glad to see a boutique putting time and energy into TV, which does not happen all that often.
Speaker 2: And Bewitched, I mean it was a staple, you know, growing up. Yeah, I mean I couldn't tell you how many episodes I've seen and didn't see from all the reruns that I watched as a kid, but I mean I watched a lot of Bewitched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie and I Love Lucy, and probably one other show we're on every single day when I got home from school for I don't know, twenty four years straight, something like that.
Speaker 2: Happy Days was in there.
Speaker 1: Revival House says, Hey, Ryan and Andy follow you on Twitter, just fanned you on YouTube. You guys are great.
Speaker 2: Oh look at that. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Oh a lot of pressure, I know. We'll try to keep doing. Okay Next from imprint, Yeah, we're still on imprint Space nineteen ninety nine, which they have done as the big box set release previously. This is now coming on September twenty fourth for a Blu ray of Super Space Theater from nineteen seventy five to eighty two. This is where they took some of the episodes and re edited them into essentially TV films. And so we've got Destination Moon Base Alpha from seventy eight, Alien Attack from seventy nine, Journey through the Black Sun from eighty two, Cosmic Princess from eighty two, and then Spatzio nineteen ninety nine. From nineteen seventy five, you had a five discs set, a hundred page hardcover book with the comprehensive guide to every movie housed in a limited edition hard box. If you love Space nineteen ninety nine, there's extras on these. They are going all out to make these incredible. I don't even know what to say, Like, there's just so much stuff.
Speaker 2: That is incredible. It's just truly mind boggling the amount of work that they put into cranking these out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a lot. Craig is pointing out those Imprint Adventure collections aren't that pricey. Seventy eight USD for four films seems pretty fair. That is for one of them. One of them is fifty eight because it's only three films, and then the one that's six films is one seventeen, and honestly, I don't think any of them are crazy over priced. The hard part is if you only want one, you got to pay for Australia to wherever you are shipping, which suddenly seventy eight is now ninety eight, and that's where it starts to get a little crazy. However, if you're buying a whole bunch of stuff from Imprint and you're getting free shipping, oh it's worth it. Pile it on, get like five or six releases, and suddenly you're getting an absolute steal because you're not paying for shipping, and it's going practically the entire world.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's finally all of Imprint and we go from that super niche action adventure stuff to Batman the Dark Knight Trilogy.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: So on this fall we are getting a library steel book re release of the Dark Knight Trilogy, which clearly everybody wants another release of these on four K. These are all the exact same discs. There is nothing brand new in these. This is just if you are a Nolan superfan Batman superfan and you really want these bright white steel books for these very dark movies, this is the way to do it. The US release of this will be an Amazon exclusive. Over in the UK, this is available on Zombie, will be a few other places. No idea about Canadian release or anything like that, but this is going to be pretty widely available. If you really want this, you'll be able to get a copy.
Speaker 2: I promise.
Speaker 1: Nice set. Speaking of a nice set, this is one that I think of many many people are very excited about this week August fifth, which keep in mind that's only in like three weeks. This is very soon. We are getting a four K steel book of Master and Commander the Far Side of the World. This is a big deal because this is a Fox title which has been locked away in the Disney vault since they purchased them, and we are now getting a four K UHD release of this movie. Unfortunately, the big story here is that it is not going to be including the wonderful DVD special features that we got on that big two disc release that a lot of collectors still have. Unfortunately, I do not have it anymore, and I need to get a second hand copy because this is not going to include all those bonus features, like there's a documentary and everything. So this thing is coming. It's going to have a wonderful looking steel book. I actually think this is a really classy release. The UK is getting this exact same steel book and a standard four K release, so if you don't want to steal book, you're gonna have to pick up the UK one. It is very much like Kingdom of Heaven. For some reason, you are if you love this movie, this is going to look amazing. It's gonna have Dolby Vision, it looks impressive. You've got immersive audio, like everything about this is going to be a stellar release guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is such an amazing film. I am very excited about this one, and I do have that two disc box set that you are talking about, but I'm still tempted to pick this one up just because it would be so beautiful, such a great film.
Speaker 1: Z Pam says that Dark Knight Trilogy set is on Amazon Canada. Nice, so Canada, we'll get a release. Orbit is not taking pre orders for Sony and Disney Steel books. It's a bummer, but I get it. They want to make sure they can fulfill and that's the hard part with these I don't understand what's going on necessarily, but Mark has had trouble like taking pre orders for titles and then simply not getting them in stock, and that causes giant problems on the back end. I mean refunding people. You're paying credit card processing fees and you can't charge that to the customer. There's a lot there. But this one, I gotta I gotta find a way to get a copy of it. Absolutely. Okay, So we talked about another replacement program. Let's talk about the issues that have played terror Vision over the last couple weeks. So this is kind of Crazy. One of their titles, the one that you can see on the screen right now, Suddenly in the Dark. This was announced in January and this title has essentially been cursed for us. This has caused so many problems to just completely spiral. So let's go through it. The first thing, The Devil's Sword. This is a movie that I produced a bunch of the special features for. I've been excited to get this in hand for so long, and as it looks like a bunch of the discs are not playing. Now here's where it gets crazy. Because we talked earlier about them checking the discs. What's hard is about forty percent of these discs were working when they got to the warehouse. TerrorVision put in a few of them and they worked just fine, so they started shipping them out. But then when people were getting them, a bunch of people were messaging and saying, hey, this disc is pointing out that it is not a completed disc. So something happened in the actual manufacturing process because the files were exactly what they needed to be. And the replicator is definitely gonna have to be the one to cover this because they're the ones that screwed it up. So no need to email TerrorVision. The only discs that went out were for people that had purchased directly, so you're just gonna get a brand new disc and you don't have to ask for it. So if your disc works, you get to give on to a friend because you're gonna have a second disc. Just just give it away. It's a great movie. Then the second title, The Children of Violent Rome, another movie that I did some special features for. My friend Sam Cohen, who's in the discord, got him to write a piece on this one. The disc is fine on this, but all of the slipcovers came in completely mingled, not anything to do with TerrorVision, the shipping partner. They all just came in completely thrashed. So these are getting reprinted and as soon as they get there they will be sent with a fresh batch to everybody. If you got one, you got one of like the very small number of titles that were in this that were not damaged. So congratulations, you're the exception, certainly not the rule. Now the big one, Suddenly in the Dark has been just completely ruined and ruined and ruined time and time again. This was weird because in QC something got caught and we went to fix it, and then that fix screwed up the entire digital master for some reason, and so we had to go in and fix that again after that. And now the curse is coming because the disc is finally fixed and the discs have arrived at the warehouse, but unfortunately, all of the packaging was shipped to Florida instead of Georgia, where they were supposed to be, so Terror Vision had to go with a trailer, rent a truck and trailer drive to Florida, and then package them themselves after they were sent to two different places. So this is going to be happening over the next few days. They planned to have all of these fixed and shipped out to people. Over the next week. You will finally be getting Suddenly in the Dark. I did a bunch of stuff for this disc, so I've been patiently waiting because this movie is gorgeous. Have you ever seen Suddenly in the Dark.
Speaker 2: I haven't, but I've just was reading about it while you're talking, and it sounds like a crazy, crazy movie.
Speaker 1: It is amazing, like this movie is sort of an underseen masterpiece. I really hope people check this out because it's incredible. But I'm just glad that it will finally be out there. The other big thing is we are waiting for updates on Arbor Day an Invader, and then hopefully nothing else happens to those, and then there's gonna be some more updates on Sledgehammer and Gator Bait one and two, and as soon as they know more, they will be announcing those and I will do my best to cover them. All that to say, like, manufacturing so many titles is hard. It's very difficult to be patient sometimes, especially like Suddenly in the Dark has been plagued with issues for almost six months. Now. I get that that's a long time. Try to have some sympathy for people in these companies that they are working to make sure that it comes perfect. They don't want there to be errors. That costs them money too, I mean they're losing you know, customers, losing faith in them. They just want everybody to have the best experience. They love these movies too, So yeah, it's it's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it really is an interesting element of the business that you don't think about, is like all all the business behind just getting the movie to you. Yeah, right, and how many countries that you're dealing with for all the different pieces to come together, especially these days with all the extra craziness happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean countries, companies, shipping problems that can happen. It is wild, right, Speaking of wild, let's go to our next one. This is one of the most sodd after titles for the last couple of years because Keino announced in October of twenty twenty three that they were releasing the four Ilsa movies on four K, and we finally have details on the very first one September thirtieth. We are getting a four K release of Ilsa she Wolf of the SS from nineteen seventy five. This is number thirty seven in the Keno Coult line. This has a brand new HDR Dolby vision Master. There's an audio commentary by the actress Diane Thorne, the director, Don Edmunds, producer David F. Friedman, moderated by Martin Lewis. That's an archival commentary. There's a new commentary by Kat Ellinger and Eugenie Melodic. There's an interview with Dot Edmunds that Elijah Drinner was able to do I believe earlier this year. And then a trailer. Now, a lot of people was thinking that these were going to be a box sets. Now we are still going to get a box set. Keno has said that in the various forums that they've been talking about this and commenting the hard part is we have no idea when they're not going to do a box set until all four of the standalone releases have been released and people have bought all those up, and then they will put them all together in a box set. So make sure if you're wanting all four of them and you want to save some bucks, it will likely be at least slightly cheaper. The hard part, you've already waited almost two years for this is to come to fruition. You could be waiting another I don't know year, year and a half before that buck sits, So I'd be saying, how much do you want them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Nazi sploitation. Have you ever checked out many Nazi exploitation films? You know?
Speaker 2: I haven't, But this one's been on my radar, largely because we're doing a series later this year. We're for the next reel we're doing. We're jumping back like we're we did a twenty twenty five film talking about Ballerina that we're doing two thousand, nineteen seventy five, nineteen fifty, nineteen twenty five, so we're doing nice whole series and for seventy five we're doing like pioneering visions in global cinema. And I was really intempted to include this on the list, but at the very least, what I'm wanting to do is like throw this out out as a potential member bonus episode, see if the members vote on it. But I'm very curious about this one. For sure.
Speaker 1: Corna is pointing out Gestapo's Last Orgy is amazing, and then Adam says, The Beast and Heat rocks. No, not really, that's true. The movie is bad. However, I believe where is it is that the one that's got the documentary on it? So the Beaston Heat, Yes, So this release from Severn of the Beast and Heat is the one that has it's called Fascism on a Thread, The Strange Story of Nazi Exploitation cinema new feature length documentary. You should own this disc for that documentary.
Speaker 2: I really should.
Speaker 1: The movie is not great, but I probably shouldn't say that the week before a seven sale. But by the disc just not for that reason. Don't even watch the movie, watch the documentary. Speaking of Severn, they are putting out a four K release of Brian to Palma's Sisters inspired remake from two thousand and six. That was mean. I should not have said it like that. Sisters, directed by Douglas Buck and starring Chlobe Sevenier. I've never heard much great about this movie. I've never seen this one. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen this one. Yeah, I would be curious to It would be an interesting side by side comparison. Like sometimes with these sorts of remakes, I find it like that's kind of an interesting way to do it, just to really see what they try to figure out what they were going for, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean supposedly this is like pretty shot for shot for a lot of it, at least until the ending, which is an interesting choice to like have have the gumption to say I'm going to remake it to Palma movie shot for shot because I could do that.
Speaker 2: Is that's a choice that it really is? It really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is gonna have an audio commentary with Dre and with David Gregory of Severn. There's an archival documentary on here as well. This will have a soundtrack CD, just like we talked about with the other Severn stuff. There's some archival extras on the Blu Ray release, including Glass Eye Pictures Presents Tales from Beyond the Pale Hidden Records by Douglas Buck with Kevin Klein and Tony Todd. I'm not sure what that is, but I kind of want to check that out. Uh, interesting, it sounds very interesting. Yeah, this is this is one that I'm more curious in the features than the film. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, again, it would be interesting to kind of just look at and see what they were intending to do with it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I love the comments here. Gary says, yeah, that worked out well for the Psycho remake, and then Sibners says, like someone trying to remake a Hitchcock film shot for shot, But who would ever do that?
Speaker 2: You know? I this is my what I always say with that is like if I were gust fans at and a studio offered me the chance to do that, Hell yeah, like the things that you could learn as a filmmaker of actually crafting like a Hitchcock film shot for shot, Like I feel like he probably learned so much in the process of just how to cut a film, construct it everything. I mean, it's just like invaluable and you're getting paid to do it, like I would absolutely do it. But yeah, it's then you have the result and you have to live.
Speaker 1: With that, I suppose, the ramifications of remaking a master's work. Hoobolly. Next one, man, I'm very curious about this one because I have never seen this movie, and I'm sure many of you in the chat have very curious because I seem to really like Kevin Coster's at least around this era. I know that he's kind of an asshole right now, but uh, October seventh, we're getting a four K steel book from Sony of Silverado from nineteen eighty five. Now, this coming from Sony, I guarantee this is going to look amazing. Of course, it's a steel book only release, which sucks. I'm not standing up for that at all. But how do you feel about Silvato? Have you seen this?
Speaker 2: It's a very fun movie. I think my initial reaction to it was confusion because I didn't think a Western should be funny, and I think like it, Like I struggled with that initially, and then I got over myself and it's just it's a very very fun movie. And I mean the cast is great with Kevin Klein and John Cleese is in it, and it's just it's kind of a great time. It's a very easy fun movie to watch.
Speaker 1: It sounds like, especially with that cast. I yeah, it certainly is one that I'm probably gonna give a watch too. I love that Adam has me pegged and says Ryan doesn't watch westerns. I do. That's not many, but yeah, you're right at him. I'm sorry, it's no fan Dango. I still have not watched Fan Dango. Damn it. I need to. And then Silverad is a fun film and great soundtrack, thanks Dah.
Speaker 2: Great soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right, going to our next one. This is an incredible movie. We've got August twenty sixth from Warner Archive, a four K of Get Carter. Now. The hard part here is BFI released this on four K twenty twenty two or twenty twenty three. This is literally the exact same release, So if you've got the BFI, you certainly don't need this. This is literally the same restoration they're using the BFI. They even reference it. I believe this has all of the exact same extras. If anything, the BFI might even have one extra one, but they're pulling over like some of the talks that happened over at the BFI. So not a lot that you're going to be missing either way. But this movie is a masterpiece. How do you feel about Get Carter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I absolutely love it. It's a great film. I haven't seen the remake. It was not a remake that I was itching to see, but I haven't heard terrible things about it, so maybe it's it's worth a check. But and you know, I mean, I have such an easy time watching Michael Caine, you know, in pretty much anything, even when he's doing even when he's doing his Jaws the revenge is you know, but this, you know, I just an a Michael Caine thing. I'd love to see them do a four K of Gambit, which is, you know, one of my favorites in this era of Michael Kine. But I mean, yeah, Carter is absolutely a fun one.
Speaker 1: I think did not I think Keino released it on Blu ray on Blue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have the Blue at that came out like three years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not too too long. Ago. Yeah, twenty twenty two, So I mean it's Keno. I wouldn't have put it passed him to put.
Speaker 2: That on four K, I know, fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: So that's the beginning of where archive. This is their third four K release. Just keep in mind it's the first one was announced like last November I think it was, and so in eight months they've announced three. They've already said they're not going to be doing a lot of four k's, so probably three or for a year is probably about the pace that we're gonna get from more Archive. That being said, they do incredible work on their restorations and the bf I did great with this, so being able to see them put that amount of work into a four K, if we're only getting three or four at least, they're going to be incredibly high quality. Absolutely, And now some more from this slate from them, we get that Midnight Kiss from nineteen forty nine, another one that I've not seen Technicolor musical. Have you seen that Midnight Kiss?
Speaker 2: I have not seen this one. I'm trying to look at it and see if I've even heard of this one. It's kind of like a yeah, it's just one of these ones that completely escaped me. But it looks interesting. And this just going back to like posters and art. I love when they do you just use old art post art like this. It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Arael, director is very big in the Elvis films.
Speaker 1: M interesting. So this four K scan of the original nitrate Technicolor Negatives which just chef's kiss. This is gonna look beautiful, guaranteed color film and then special features. Wise, they got a deleted musical out take called one Love of Mine, which that's really cool that we're getting this so many years later. There's a classic MGM cartoon on here called Heavenly Puss, and one called signor Drupe, and then you got the trailer. I'm glad that they threw some extras on here. That's a big deal because at least one or two of these do not have any extras. Next up is a movie called Seven Women from nineteen sixty six, which is directed by a little known director you may have heard of called John Ford. This is I believe his last film and a movie that people have been dying to see on Blu Ray for quite some time. Four K scan of the OCN, another color movie special features on this. We've got an MGM cartoon that won, an oscar called the Dot in the Line, and a trailer john Ford. How do you feel about john Ford?
Speaker 2: I mean, fantastic filmmaker. I think that he does some really interesting things. I think I I struggle with some of them, just more because of just like I'm less interested in some of the content. But I enjoy how he puts his films together. I'm wondering, like, is a is this his version of Seven Samurai? I mean, I'm reading this synopsis here and Bancroft stars in this moving drama set in nineteen thirty five about a remote Chinese mission run by American women that's overtaken by warring bandits. I just like, do the seven women stand up?
Speaker 1: Or do?
Speaker 2: Or do they?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It piques my curiosity.
Speaker 1: Now that is possible. I don't know anything about it. Let's keep going. But yeah, john Ford, obviously this is a big deal. I had a lot of people exploded when this got announced. Quite happy with it. Nineteen forty nine's Intruder in the Dust is the next one. By the way, I don't knowe that I said the date. I apologize all These are coming on August twenty sixth from Order Archive. Intruder in the Dust has a four K scan of best preservation elements and for special features on this one, you got MGM shorts Playlands of Michigan and Counterfeit Cat. Not a lot I know about this one, but I know that I've seen this poster many many times. I'm glad they're including this. It's a Clarence Brown film. I don't know anything about this though. Do you know anything about this one?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just looking at it. Sounds like an interesting one, so this might be one worth checking out too, Warner.
Speaker 1: Okay, pretty much only only puts out the stuff that they can make sound interesting. At least, I will say true. The other one that I'm excited about this one this drop is nineteen forty three's The Hard Way with Ida Freakin' Loopino. This is a powerful film featuring an unforgettable performance by leading lady Ida Lupino. The Hard Way is a gripping drama that in certain ways is a precursor the same story dynamics to be found years later and the remarkable musical play Gypsy Lupino takes on stage, so to speak, as Helen Chernin a strong willed woman who wants to get herself and her talented kids sister Katie out of their Jerkwater hometown. And if that means using people and throwing them away, that's what Helen will do. It's got a four K scan of the original nitrate negative as well, and as far as extras, you get nothing. Yeah, I mean anything would have been nice to see on the disc. There's a lot of people that would love to work with Warner Archive for freaking free, yeah, the hard way. Ida Lupino, any Ide Lupino love for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, she's a great, great performer, and I just think that she's I've seen too little of I think is probably what I should say. But I've enjoyed seeing her in stuff and it would be the sounds interesting. So I am I'm very curious now to check this one out.
Speaker 1: Yep. And if that was somehow not enough from Warner Archive for you, what is possibly the biggest release for them this month, especially in terms of running time. We are also getting The Huckleberry Hound Show, the complete original series. This is an eleven disc collection running two thousand, one hundred and seventy five minutes. This is wild. This also has black and white commercials interspersed in all the color cartoons. There's some special features we got. These are all ported over from the DVD we got Huckleberry Quotes, the remix music video celebrating memorable Hound quotes Huckleberry Hound a linguistic linguistic masterpiece, hound speak as humorously interpreted by a linguistics professor. Which, oh my gosh, the legendary sound of Das Butler, an affectionate remembrance the brilliant voice artists who lent his sounds to voice Huck and Yogi, among many other beloved characters. Yeah. This for me, to get all sixty eight episodes of The Huckleberry Hound Show in one collection on Blue is kind of amazing. Brand new HD masters from the original camera negatives for all of these is huge. And for somebody that loves animation, I cannot wait to own this.
Speaker 2: And I loved Huckleberry Hound as a kid like that, these cartoons and Droopy Dog and just like all of these sorts of characters were so fun, and so this is pretty exciting. This is an exciting one to see.
Speaker 1: Another one that made a lot of people comment and get very excited about. But again, eleven discs. This is gonna be a little more expensive than the Warner Archive stuff usually is, but it's sixty eight episodes, all brand new remastering. I don't normally say this, but like, this is one that I'm going to support simply to support because I want them to keep doing stuff like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, that is it.
Speaker 1: For Warner Archive. And we go from Huckleberry Hound to Freakin' Martyrs from two thousand and eight. Quite a shift, a little bit of a shift. October twenty seventh, Eureka in the UK is releasing the new French extremity masterpiece from two thousand and eight, Martyrs. This is going to get a limited edition hardbound release that is limited to four thousand copies. This will have a four K and a Blu ray disc. This is the uncut version of the film. It says new artwork which I think is great, although I guess the front cover is slightly spoiler ish, which is a little tough. This has a hundred page hard case or sorry, one hundred page book featuring new cover art and everything. Lots of new writing, new extras on here, new commentary with Nia Edwards Bay, co director of Arbitoire Home Horror Film Festival. New interview with one of the actors, New interview with New French extremity expert Alice Halett, bran new visual essay on Martyrs and Body Horror by Xavier al Dona Rees. Then a bunch of archival extras. This is the this is amazing. How do you feel about Martyrs? Have you? Have you taken the time to sit down and watch Martyrs?
Speaker 2: I have not seen this one, but it's been on my list forever. You know, I saw it, I don't know, ages ago on one of those like, you know, best horror films to check out of the decade or whatever, and so it's been on a list for me. It's it's sitting in my watch list. I absolutely need to check it out. And you know, the new French extremity is such an interesting kind of a subgenre that I would love to explore also or on CinemaScope.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 2: Again haven't gotten around to it. But this one, this one really fascinates me. I might pick it up just to give myself the reason to finally watch it.
Speaker 1: I was about to say that would be a pretty incredible CinemaScope episode because you can cover most of the genre with your bonus episode and with the regular episode total. So yeah, we might have to talk after the big thing with Eureka. As Gary is pointing out, Eureka has free international shipping with no minimum. So if you are ever after a Eureka title and you don't want to go like to Orbit DVD because you got to get three titles for free shipping, Eureka ships anywhere in the world, even if you buy a single disc for zero dollars and they don't charge you tax I don't know how they have a deal with the Devil, but I mean, well, I not support that. I mean that's pretty great.
Speaker 2: No kidding, how do they That's wild.
Speaker 1: I don't know how, but they do it. And the crazy thing is that if you like pre order five titles and they come out at different times, they ship you each one as they're available, so you never pay for shipping. You have five ship It's maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they do that. That's wild.
Speaker 1: So Martyrs, I know that a lot of people have never seen this. Based on reputation alone, I will say this is a very bloody movie. It is a very gory movie. However, this movie is a deep movie. It is definitely one that I think is important for people to see. I adore this movie. I think that is a tough watch, but one that most people should if you think you might be able to handle it. I love that Stan says I must have this, but I will never watch it. Once is enough and I get that, But like I could watch Martyrs probably once or twice every couple of years at least. Yeah, I need this on four K. This is gonna beautiful. The Shark Hunter is the next title coming from Severn as part of their sale. The Shark Hunter is from nineteen seventy nine, will also have the soundtrack CD, as they're doing on many of these releases special features. For this, we got a reunion between Enzog Castelari and the actor Franco Nero, some big names in this one. We got an interview with the producer Enzo Doria. There's a trailer and then the soundtrack CD. And this is so cool that they have now done three different shark movies as part of just this one sales slate. And we'll talk about that more in just a minute. But yeah, Shark Hunter, I'm sure that this is probably not one that has passed your radar.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at that look at that art right there, like it just it makes me want to push play on it. It's just like these movies like they've tapped into something with this crazy just the the weird and over the top nature of these Italian films, and so this is one that I really want to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Italian shark exploitation genre that they are hitting hard right now has to be very, very fun. And for those that don't know, NZG. Castelari is also the director of The Last Shark, which is like the infamous Essential Jaws ripoff that is getting a Blu Ray from Treasured Films in the next month, I think. Actually, so lots of shark stuff right now if you're super into it. Next up, Quino Lober on September thirtieth is putting out a four K and a Blu ray set and single releases of The Airport for film collections, So you can buy each individual movie if you only like the first one or the Concord or whatever, or you can buy all four at once in a set. The set will have this sleeve style packaging, which I kind of hate. Instead of cases, and it will also have a booklet, or you can buy the standalone single releases with the slip covers. Really good looking release overall that they're putting us out. I'm glad they're doing it. But the films, this is a big deal. We've got Airport, We've got Airport nineteen seventy five, Airport seventy seven, and then the Concord Airport seventy nine disaster movies from the seventies. How do you feel about Oh.
Speaker 2: They are fun. It is definitely its own whole subgenre that popped up at that period of time. I have a lot of fun with these movies. These were movies that I watched a lot on TV when they would play Like my grandma and I would watch all of these and there are so many characters that you get to know in these films that I lose track of, like which ones were in which movie that I watched. But regardless, I just I have a lot of fun with them. That being said, I haven't seen I watched Airport, I don't know, probably the last ten years or so, but I haven't seen the other three. I'd be curious to see how they how they hold up today.
Speaker 1: You know, Delt's pointing out that in one of these, George Kennedy flies a concord upside down.
Speaker 2: George George Kennedy.
Speaker 1: Speaking of George Kennedy, the names that show up in these movies, so Bert Lancaster, Dean Martin, Charlton Heston, Jack Libin, Elaine de Laud, James Stewart, Christopher Lee, Robert Wagner, and of course George Kennedy. There is so much in here. One of the things I really want to point out, though, is their restoration information. So the very first one, which arguably is the most important here because it kind of started the whole thing, led to airplane. Like all of this stuff, this is a brand new HDR Dolby Vision Master. Now here's where it gets interesting. From a four K scan of the thirty five millimeter interpositive reduction element, which all that to say, this is not going to be a great looking four K. We lost a lot of fidelity from the OCN getting to this point. This is not great source material, and I have a feeling that they really just needed to put all four of them on four K to make the set work, because really this probably shouldn't have had a four K with that element being the best that they got, they probably should have only done the blu ray for that one. The other three sequels though four K scans of the OCN, so those are all going to look pretty great, guaranteed this. We got new commentaries on all four movies from people like Julie Krugo, c Courtney Joiner. We've got Steve Mitchell, Nathaniel Thompson, Peter Hancoff, Julie Kergo again, lots of good stuff here. Craig says reduction element Was it shot in seventy No, I believe it was shot in sixty five? Which yeah, again not great here, not great.
Speaker 2: It looks like yeah, actually, look on Wikipedia says seventy milimeters aoh.
Speaker 1: Huh, maybe I was wrong, all right, seventy milimeters reduction element for a four K. Yeah, I'm very curious to see how that one looks. I want these because I love seventy disaster movies. But now I don't know if I should just maybe swing for the blue for the first one. So we'll see. Yeah, I'll wait on reviews. That's free.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this looks really good. Actually. August nineteenth, Well, go USA, is releasing Invincible Swordsman from this year. This sas fabled swords been ling Hu Chong was ready to retire his sword when a chance encounter with the dangerous cult leader forced him back into the action. As the evil Invincible East threatens the peaceful realm of Xiang, who with her demon cult, Chong picks up his weapon and defends the land with the ragtag crew of misfit warriors and this mystical Wusha throwback starring Tim Hoying as chong Jiang Yuki as Invincible East and featuring a guest appearance from the One and Only Samo Hung in twenty twenty five. Wow, yeah, this looks great. Watch the trailer. It looks really fun. Yeah, I'm very curious about this. Oh there you go. Gary found the answer. It was shot in sixty five, but it was made for seventy millimeters. Prints. There you go, and see. I wonder like, does the sixty five millimeter exist still on airport because you could have scanned that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's I mean, it's an Academy Award nominated movie, and so you'd think that they would put some money behind it. But yeah, I don't know. I mean it could just be it's it doesn't look pretty. I don't know, all right, So Invincible Swordman this looks great. Watch the trailer. It looks looks really really fun. Actually, yeah, it sounds great.
Speaker 1: We only got a couple left. The next one is The Night of Death from nineteen eighty. This is coming on September eighth on Blu Ray in the UK from Nucleus Films. This is part of their European Cult Cinema collection. This one sounds super interesting. I've not seen that this got a different Blu Ray, so very curious about this new transfer in one dot sixty six ratio from the original camera negative. They're very specific about that. This is the uncensored version with the new audio commentary with Jonathan Rigby and Kevin Lyons. There's some archival extras on here, and Nucleus has been stepping up and doing a couple random releases. This seemed to be pretty good. So I like the poster on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the poster, it's a really nice poster, kind of with the river of blood coming down from the house everything. It looks really interesting. I haven't heard of this one, and I mean, but it's one of those that like the poster that just cover alone would make me curious to pick up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looks like a very nostalgic poster for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Arcane League of Legend Season two is getting a release from Shout Studios. This is getting a four K steal book, a Blu Rays steal book, and then a standard Blu ray, all in the US coming on October twenty first. You can pre order those. Now, I know nothing about this, but I know that a lot of people seem to love the show. So Arcane League of Legends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a show I've heard good things about, but I haven't checked it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the shark exploitation stuff. After all of this, Seven came out and said, listen, we're putting out three shark movies that are all Italian shark exploitation films. Of course we're going to put it in a box. So they're releasing Feeding Frenzy, the Italian Shark Exploitation Collection box there saying that since you already know that this is going to include the three titles, we can now reveal that this trilogy of teeth to tail fin the Lights belongs to a shiver we call Feeding Frenzy, our exclusive Rigid slipcase with a new killer illustration by Rondo Awards Artist of the Year Mark Spears Houses. All three titles will be available separately or in various bundles during the sale. You're gonna need a bigger shelf.
Speaker 2: I just love the art is right there, its own little ripoff of Jaws. Plays very well, yeah, very well.
Speaker 1: This looks good. I love shark movies. I'm probably gonna need these eventually. Sadly, I don't know. I need the box. They're probably not great, but I need them.
Speaker 2: But they'll be fun. It will be That's more important, of.
Speaker 1: Course it is. We got a couple kind of low key movies from Keynote. We got September ninth getting a blu ray of Deer Ruth from nineteen forty seven with William Holden and Joan Caulfield. This has an audio commentary by far and Smith's name. Not a movie that I've ever heard of before today. Have you heard or seen this one?
Speaker 2: No? But I want to say this is one that Yeah, I think it falls into kind of that period of like the war, like you know, positive support for the war type of films that were coming out. At the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quite a few. There was a lot of those movies.
Speaker 2: There were a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The next one from them is Father Brown Detective from nineteen thirty four, coming on Blu ray from Keino on September sixteenth, This one with Walter Connolly and Paul Lucas. This has an audio commentary with Jason A. Nine And another thirties detective movie coming out that I have not seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've This is one that I feel like I've heard the title, but I think that's it, So I'm curious to get a sensus to what it's about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, solid, solid sounding film at least, Yeah, that is it, which there's a lot. I can't believe we've heard that much. This week busy week, and next week for releases, not just announcements, but next week for releases is gonna be a big one too. Reminder that tomorrow the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague four K comes out. I've got that one on the way and cannot wait. It got delayed. But then next Tuesday, tons of stuff. So we've got the Cobra four K from Arrow, the Stuff four K from Arrow as well, Small Soldiers four K Steel Book is finally gonna be shipping in a lot of people were excited about that one. You can count on Me four K and Carnal Knowledge four kble from Criterion, Danger, Diabolic four K from Keno, Matta Gascar four K from the Studio, Brand New Final Destination, Bloodlines four K, Blu Ray and Steel Book and all that fancy stuff that is getting released next week. Night Writer the Complete Series on four K coming out next week, be which the complete series is finally getting released here in the US. We've got the Serenity Serenity four K Steel book dropping that had that controversial art that people did not seem to love, The Beast to Die from Radiance, Silent Screen four K from Darkforce and Keno together the night Watch Collection from Arrow, Little Buddha four K from Keno, Rosa La Rose, Philipublique from Radiance as well Strangers with Candy, the film from two thousand and six, Blu Ray from Shout, Fight or Flight coming out next week as well from the Studio. All We Imagine is Light from Criterion, Detonation, Violent Writers from eighty eight Films, Ash from Shutter, Sarah Ban for Dead Lovers four K from Indicator, The Last Voyage of the Demeter. Four K Steel Book is coming out as an Amazon exclusive from Shout The Tattoo Dragon from eighty eight Films. I believe mister Peters Pets and everybody loves it. Noody Cuti Triple Feature is coming from Keno next week. Original Sin Northern Lights, Solo Leveling Season, Walking with Dinosaurs from the BBC. A bunch of anime stuff man Lots next week. Are there any of these that are on your list there? Andy?
Speaker 2: You know, the night Watch collection is one. I'm really curious about picking that one up. And you know, we were talking about the you know, kind of the Kung Fu Panda. The Madagascar films are also ones that the kids and I had a lot of fun with and so it's entirely possible that one will end up getting picked up. And Danger Diabolic is a wackado film. I would have fun rewatching that one for sure. It is beautiful.
Speaker 1: I love that. As I was reading this, I got a shipping notification for my Hans Zimmer Live and Progress. Yeah. Cant cannot wait next week. Lots of stuff coming out. I still have not got Cobra or the stuff in four K that is on the way to me as well from Brother Belile and the stuff is one of my favorites, so I'm very eager to see that. Look at that right there, Look at that. Yeah, beautiful looking release. I can't believe they got the work print. Like this is a pretty big week for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well we covered all the releases. That's huge. Thanks for going through all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean a lot of really interesting movies that will be fun to pick up and revisit.
Speaker 1: Update from Deaf Crocodile. Reprints of our sold out visitors from the Arkana Galaxy, Bubble Bath, and The Assassin of This Are are all coming by the end of the month. Each will have limited slipcover editions available from Diabolic DVD. Really really cool there. Let's get in to jayhor So, jayhor what was your first foray into Jayhorr.
Speaker 2: It was probably around the time that they started remaking them with The Ring, the American remake that garver bin'sk you did in two, and then The Grudge in four, and that pushed me to go back and see the originals and and and I had a buddy at the time who was like, oh, well, then you also got to check out like these ones and so like Suicide Club and like all of these different movies, and so it just kind of pushed me to start watching a lot of these things. And I don't know, I just there's it's it's a different feel for what you're getting from typical horror movies and stuff, you know, And so I don't know, I just I really enjoy the tone of the way that they're exploring different elements of their society, and I find that to be such an exciting piece of all of it.
Speaker 1: What are for anybody that's not ever really given a deep dive, how how do you define? Because obviously there's all kinds of different genres, but like, what are some some landmark traits of jahorr that you find interesting?
Speaker 2: Landmark traits of jay horror is there's a lot like you're not getting as much gore necessarily that you would get in like Western horror. There's a lot more psychological and a lot more trauma. I know. It's so funny because you know these these dumb terms, like you know, like elevated horror or things like that, that it's just like, really it's just it's horror, and like that's kind of where you were going with this sort of stuff first, but also I love when they start exploring technology and our relationships with with that, you know, and I think that there the Japanese culture looks into some of those in such interesting ways, whether it's like videotapes or the Internet or whatever, and just how it how it kind of explores that in the horror scape, which so often when they get remade in America just don't capture the essence.
Speaker 1: They lose their nuance quite a bit, sadly. And there's been some good ones obviously, Like one of the ones that is most likely going to get brought up tonight is Ringu, and I really enjoy the remake for that, but it's it's still a very different feeling remake. But I think they both definitely have their merits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that in the Grudge, I think both actually we're pretty strong, and then you start getting like one missed call and and things that just it's like they're not hitting the same exactly.
Speaker 1: One of the other big things that you see a lot in jahorr is this focus on the supernatural and a very specific style of way, like the Jay horror depiction of a ghost is a very common thing that has become troped overall, and it is something that is probably going to come up in at least a couple of these that were talking about tonight. That is a pretty good primer on this. It is kind of an odd thing to discuss. I guess in a way it should bring up the idea of jay horror k horror as a genre in itself, because in all reality, it's just horror from a country, and really all we're talking about is Japanese horror films. So there is a lot that you could break this down into, like different eras or movements within jay horror, but really there's kind of a defining time frame where jay horror exploded, and I've certainly got some from that on my list and I'm going to talk about But I tried to go a little wider too, just to capture some some different eras and a lot a lot of my picks are going to feel very obvious, but I don't think they get talked about in the idea of jayhor itself, and more so just like the pantheon of horror as a wider topic, and so very curious to see how those feel in discussion in these tonight so.
Speaker 2: Well, And it's interesting because you, like, as I was talking with one of my guests for our upcoming episode about it, I was asking that too. I'm like, well, I mean, should we include things like, you know, cron echo or quite on in it? And they're like, well, that's not really Jay horror. It's like Japanese horror. And so it's like, so I'm really curious to like have that conversation with them to like narrow down the specifics. But for them, like the way that they define it is like jay horror is a specific subgenre within Japanese horror that really kind of rose in the nineties, and so you started really seeing a lot of the different specific ways that they were taking the direction of horror films at the time. So I'm very curious to learn more from them about all of that.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hear what is the first jay horror film that you want to bring up tonight?
Speaker 2: The first one that I want to bring up is it's a I hadn't even heard of this before. It was in that Great Jay Horror box set that came out oh years ago, Norroy the Curse and directed by Koji Shiaishi, and it is told as a I mean fitting for you know, talking about this with you, because you know, we just discussed found footage horror. It very much fits into that kind of found footage vibe. It's like a pseudo documentary as we're following this paranormal investigator who is exploring this, this world of this this this curse that's happening where this this house had burned well, his house had burned down, and so it's actually other filmmakers who are now following him. It gets kind of that that meta found footage nature of it because he ended up getting he started, he finished this project, and then ends up dead, and so now you have these other filmmakers who are exploring his story as he goes through this process and he's investigating this this woman and her son and that that like dead birds are showing up around them, and it's like this they're annoying their neighbors because the neighbors keep hearing all these crying babies and they're like, what is going on? And so he's like trying to talk to this woman and she's just so nasty and he never can talk to her, and he keeps just kind of like following this investigation and eventually kind of leading to kind of a better understanding of what's actually going on with this curse. But what is so interesting about the way that the film is constructed is like it literally feels like you're watching a TV episode exploring how this this like this person following this curse trying to figure it out. Like we cut to news clippings and they're like reading through the newspapers, and we cut to other TV shows, like we cut to this completely unrelated show that happened to have this psychic come on, and you know, like this appears with the psychic who then attacks this woman, and both of those characters end up becoming very important later. It's it is a wild film, and it's probably my favorite of that whole box set. It's a really interesting one. It gets better every time I watch it, So that's where I wanted to start that box set.
Speaker 1: It's it's a good box set. I think Neroy for me is the best film in the box set. Yeah, it is quite enjoyable. This this is a really good If you're not gonna start with one of like the giant names like Juwan or Ringu, I think Neroy is actually one of the better starting points to get into Jay Horror, because it's a very good bridge film, because it feels it feels a bit Western in some of the ways that it's shot and some of the ways that you can like ingest this movie, but definitely has has roots in Jay Horror that are very very important here. Yeah, I love this movie. I think that this is a very very great choice to bring up here. That box set from Air is big. I hope they keep doing more, somebody does. I had heard from some people I know that you know, we've been seeing a ton of Hong Kong releases over the last four years now that have just been inundated by every label out there, which is great. I'm glad they're getting releases. Nothing against them, but by you know, eventually, when you're releasing that many, it's gonna be hard to keep that glut of titles coming. We're not gonna have elements for all of them or rights for some of them. So from what I'm hearing is that we might start seeing a little slight shift to the Japanese area. And if this is an indication for Arrow that, hey, we feel confident in putting out a box set like this. I hope people supported it in a way that we get more because there's a lot of really great jay horror that has never been you know, like outside of Netflix in the US, there's some that have gotten some like digital release for a year and then never seen again illegally at least, and it would be really great to see many of those come to disc And this is one that people had wanted for a long time. So I'm glad I got a respectful release. It is a great title, definitely, Okay. So I was trying to determine what order to go through here because chronological is just kind of I wanted to make it fun, but I just happened to still go with the oldest one first, because this is one that I feel like is kind of the granddaddy for me in so many different ways, because it's so surreal and supernatural and weird in so many different ways. But I wasn't going to be able to talk about jay Or without bringing up nineteen seventy seven's House Nobody he was wondering is one of those people. And obviously right now I'm working on like four Obiyasha titles for cult epics, and he is so stylized and carries so much of that over through films like School in the Crosshairs, which has very specific, very House related imagery, because he learned how to do it with how some people loved it, and then he carried that over. That House is just special if somehow you have never seen House. It has a beautiful criterion release, but this is essentially about somebody that is trying to find a connection to her mother that passed away, and she takes a trip to the countryside to visit her relatives. I think it's an aunt and uncle or just aunt whatever, but she she brings a bunch of her friends, and through this journey there's a bunch of weird stuff that happens. It weird is putting it lightly, but you're gonna see imagery that you've never seen in any other movie. There are like floating cat heads, there are weird, surreal things that just make you feel And it's not even like that's scary of a movie. It's just it's it's deranged in a weird way, and it's it's a weird foundational like introduction to just this frenetic style that is wild, and Obiyashi, like I said, carries that over to so many of his other movies, So I not only is it a fun weird gateway into like starting Jahorr to get into his filmography, this is such a great one to inspire you because it's probably the most accessible of those as in terms of the weird ones. But he does have some very like normal films after that still, so there's still a little lot to see. But Obyashi is just great with I don't know, leaning into like the the medium of making this movie and making you feel things based on seeing the absurd. These are not things that are realistic in any way. It's just a matter of this is just a wild movie and I don't know why, but I like it. You should watch House from nineteen seventy seven if you haven't.
Speaker 2: It is crazy. That's like my words. My fish like was a crazy ass movie. It is bonkers, off the wall, but it's it's very alive and it's full of this manic energy. So it's it's definitely one to check out, but be prepared for that type of movie when you step into it, because yeah, some people are like, I can't, I can't with this, it's too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're wanting like a calm ghost story.
Speaker 2: This is not it looks like a like almost like a comic strip the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, what is the next one for you?
Speaker 2: I'm jumping to twenty thirteen with a film directed by Maria Sato called By Location, which is you know, it's an interesting you can probably call it Jahore. You could probably also call it like I don't know, like psychological sci fi sort of movie. Like there's different ways you could look at this. But it's a story about doppelgangers, is really what it is. And you have our protagonist who wants to be a painter, and she ends up falling in love and with a man who comes to her door when she moves into or moves into the building, and so they fall in love, and then she's like torn, like do I pursue my life as a painter or do I just pursue my family life? And in this particular world, there are a few people where it happens where when you have that moment in your life where you feel pulled in two different directions, you actually there's a doppelganger version of you that gets created and they don't live for very long. When they appear, it's like I can it's very specific like twenty three minutes and fifty eight seconds or something, and they have to appear within a certain range of you. But that makes it really interesting because suddenly and they have like all the same feelings that you do and everything. So if you're doppelganger, if you're in love your husband and your doppelganger appears and sees your husband, then you're the doppelganger is going to want to be with him. And you end up if there are two versions of you that have like the memories and the same desires and everything, which which one are you? Then you know? And the film really kind of starts pursuing that to a point where as you go you don't even realize that I actually probably shouldn't even spoil it. I'll just say it's fascinating the way that Asato chooses to tell the film, because you really start you can't tell if you should be rooting for the person or their doppelganger, And there ends up being like this whole like there's a club of people who get together who are suffering from having their doppelgangers, and they're getting together to try talking about it. This cop has a dappelganger who isn't like has pulled into all of his incredibly violent reactions that he can't do when he's on the job because he has to be calm and collected, and so he split because he needs an outlet for that violence, and his violent doppelganger starts doing some terrible, terrible things. I just watched the I'm not talking about it on my upcoming show, but I hadn't heard of it, and it was like instantly, just like a favorite discovery of mine. So I absolutely check. I recommend checking this one out.
Speaker 1: By location, how do you see this one?
Speaker 2: It's on to be right now.
Speaker 1: Shit, I have to watch this movie now. You said the magic word. I adore doppelganger movies and I've never seen this one, and that sounds kind of incredible.
Speaker 2: I think you'd love this one.
Speaker 1: By location on to be great. I have to watch it.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 1: One of the first things that sprung to mind when we decided to talk about jay horror is I knew that I had to talk about I think this was the first jay horror movie that I ever saw, and that is Kenji Fukusaku's Battle Royale from two thousand. This movie is one that most of you have probably seen. It's been sort of a beat to death like Texas Chainsaw Masker. Over the last ten or fifteen years with a bunch of different fancy releases. Arrow has got all the blood out of this Stone many many times for sure with their releases, but this movie is still I don't know, like under disgust since it's so prolific now, I feel like everybody just sort of sees it as a given, even though this movie is kind of a masterpiece. I mean, you take a classroom full of ninth graders, you drug them, put them on an island, and then say go kill each other. And this movie is so unafraid to hold back at anything. I mean, you have everybody that is willing to take just the craziest of weapons, put them in a hand of a young teenager and say go kill your best friend. And they do, and they show most of it like this is everybody choked around that this was the inspiration for the Hunger Game, and undoubtedly this definitely played a big part in that for sure, But it is so much better than the the at least the first Hunger Games, because you don't Hunger Games is so tame compared to this movie, But I mean the way that you go through the psychological torture of if you don't follow the rules in this quote game that we're playing will kill you and we don't care. And they prove that like twelve minutes into the movie, and so the rest of the movie, there's just this underlying boiling tension that is waiting to spill over on the edge of your pot as you're watching this movie. And so with every movement that you like, this kid's about to go around the corner, I'm empathizing with him, is somebody about to shoot him? It is because of that this it's like uncut gems for me when I watch this movie every time, my heart rate is a NonStop for this entire movie, because there's everything that everything is the enemy. Nothing in this movie is something that you can trust, and you find that out many times. There's so many betrayals in this film. There's so many things that you just see this incredible display of like wonderful acting, really great twists in the story that aren't treated as twists, just like, oh my gosh, that was crazy that they chose to do this. And then of course, throughout this entire movie, you're you're watching some of these kids just do the worst things, all forgetting that beat. Takeshi is one of the main stars of this movie, and you've watched them in some of the best movies of all time. I like bat Royal is not respected enough, even though again it's kind of like ubiquitous for people because it's just always there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting point. It really does feel like, because of the violent nature of it, that people view it as, oh, it's too much of kind of a it's a cult film, or it's like, you know, it's a dark foreign version of Hunger Games. Know if they don't know which one came first, and you you just get this sense that they just they just dismiss it too easily without realizing where it came from and everything. It's it's a powerful, solid film and just these the way that these kids, you know, have to take on this this role, for the method, the reason for the whole thing, and it's it's it's dark. It's like a frightening glimpse of some sort of like a you know, terrible, terrible dystopian future, and it plays in a really incredible way. So, yeah, great movie. I haven't seen the follow up, but I I feel like I need to But yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 1: It's it's worth the watch once. The follow up is it doesn't hold even as well a mostly burned down candle to the first movie. It is quite disappointing after watching that. It was definitely just let's try to make some money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's too bad.
Speaker 1: It happens, especially with horror. I mean that's a common thing. Sadly. All right, your third choice, my third one.
Speaker 2: This was one that I, again I had never heard of, and I'm going to be talking about this one on the show. The guests recommended this one because it's an interesting starting place. It's called Psychic Vision Jagonray. It is a it's a short film. It's only I think forty nine minutes long. It's like very very short, but it's it's fascinating because it's been made in nineteen ninety nineteen eighty eight by terryoshi Ishi, and it's a we're following a reporter who is doing a story about a new pop singer, and so in most of the construction of the film, you're really looking at a movie that's a documentary of a very specific time in Japanese kind of eighties of their just the way that these producers and studios create their pop singers. And so that's kind of like what we're feeling because we're following as as this singer is prepping this new song and it's all about this new song that she's going to sing called Lovecraft. But the mystery here is like she's going to sing the song. The producer was sent this the lyrics for this song, but it has no idea who wrote it, and that's kind of the crux of this. And then the composer writes the music and we start we get to the point where we're actually filming the music video, and then just crazy stuff starts happening, and it's is a quick film forty nine minutes, absolutely something worth checking out, just I mean, mainly because it does such an interesting glimpse into that pop singer culture in Japan and then shifts the whole thing over with kind of a jay horror ghost and everything.
Speaker 1: This sounds great and would probably make a pretty fun pairing with one that I wasn't gonna mention tonight, but it would be great to see this with Perfect Blue.
Speaker 2: It sounds like, hey, there, you go yeah, yeah, this is one. I don't know if anyone's ever released it, but you can watch the whole thing on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Nice and short film. I mean it's minutes. Yeah, this is just happenstance. But I'm gonna choose another semi short film that came out just the next year, one that is fundamental for me with Jay Horror, because i mean, first of all, this filmmaker is one of the best of all time, But nineteen eighty nine's Tetsuo the Iron Man I felt like needed to be discussed tonight. Now, this is a movie that is kind of hard to discuss because it's just one that you sort of have to experience. Tetsuo the Iron Man is a industrial body horror movie about a man that gets cursed that starts putting metal all throughout his body and living a completely just transformed life as the film goes on, all leading to just a weird ending at the end that again you just sort of have to be there to live through the moment of this man turning into Tetsuo the Iron Man. It is a beautifully shot film. It once again feels very frenetic as you're watching it, because like, what the hell is happening while you're seeing this random imagery being here by Shinyasukamoto's just beautiful cinematography, and the way that they choose to tell the story is like quiet in a way, but at the same time, like, I don't know, the it feels so and it's obviously a little a little stereotypical to say it's a body horror movie, so it feels Chronamburgian, But there's something about this that is much more Chronambergian than other body horror movie because it just feels so lived in by the time you get to the film the end of the movie, like it reminds me the feeling of the fly, like you've been there for the entire transformation, You've lived through. This guy was just normal human to he is a completely different thing by the very end. And Tetsuo is one of those movies that will stick with you. You at the end will feel like quite frustrated because you have seen so much change and felt sort of invaded, just like our main character is in this movie. It is one that will stick with you for a while. Tetsuo is again a little hard to explain, but one of those that pretty much everybody should probably watch at least once. Sukamoto brilliant, brilliant director. I know that we've said Arrow a lot tonight, but the Arrow box set that they did of his stuff is kind of a masterclass in his filmmaking. Some really great extras in there. I think that his films are very specifically Suko and worthy of his own discussion on its own, for sure.
Speaker 2: It's my experience was it was a very difficult film to watch because it's like, it's like sixteen millimeters black and white, so it's very like you think of things like Eraserhead or pie Like. It's very stark. It's a relentless pace. There's this pounding industrial score with it, and I like, I was like, this is never going to end. But it became one that was less about understanding what was going on in the story and more just like the experience of it, you know, like that's kind of where I went with this one, and like it it I when I was a kid, I'll this is the story that's going on. I didn't mean to go into this story, but when I was a kid, I would have every time I had a high fever, I would have what I have since dubbed my steel wool nightmares, where like literally I was just like whatever dream I was in, all of a sudden, it's like steel wool coming in, just like eating everything around me, and I would just run and the steel wool was just kind of like keep crunching down on everything around me until it finally like I was narrowed down to like a corner of a room or something, and then it would eat me and I'd wake up. Every time I was sick, I had that nightmare, and this movie made it feel like I was reliving those nightmares like it was, So it was a little extra challenging for me. But it's absolutely, like I mean, to be able to kind of create that visceral experience for me, I think it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Vispian says here, supermotive filmography is nearly flawless. I would agree. Again, I think this one is sort of difficult because of the very nature of the way that this is made. But I think it's an important way to step into and it's it's obviously it's his most well known film, and it's one that yeah, you should you should see. It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely you really have to see it. It's just a tough one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, your fourth film.
Speaker 2: I was debating, like it, do I want to go? Do I want to include any that are a little more well known? I mean, I guess I include Noroy, But the other one I want to include is just it's I think equally important in a different way. This is Kyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse from two thousand, which is we talked about kind of like that technological look into into films, and that's definitely where this film is going. You have this. It's really a story about the Internet and how everyone can connect instantly, but it's kind of also created like this mass, big of loneliness around and that's really been growing especially. I mean, this film was really precient because it's only gotten progressively worse with all the different social media tools and everything. To mention pandemics and everything else that we've been living through. This film made in two thousand and one, so the Internet wasn't even around for a decade by the time he made this, And it's it's a story following some just like some people who are like kind of starting to like lose people that they like, they're they're just not showing up for work or something, and like they go over to their house to figure out like what's going on, and and they're there, but they're kind of not there, and it's it's very I mean, it's very slow paced. If you know Kyosha Kyoshi Krosawa's films, definitely kind of that slow paced, very kind of like mood horror, and that's what you get here, as like you walk into your talking to somebody and then you they kind of go into the other room and and you follow along after a few minutes and find that they've hung themselves. Since it's like wow, okay, uh. It just and it keeps going from there as people are kind of getting more affected by this and it's growing also, which is the other thing. It's a fascinating film, and it was I don't let's say I saw Cure. I was trying to remember my first my introduction to CHROs how I think was Cure and then this, But both of them I think are just such top notch films. But Pulse is it's haunting. This is what I would like, an absolutely haunting film in the way that it tackles like technological loneliness.
Speaker 1: So I must admit I've been dying to see Pulse for quite some time. I have stayed away primarily because I did not like Cure. Oh interesting, I don't know why. I'm probably wrong, I understand. I mean, obviously everybody loves Cure and worships it for some reason, it just didn't land with me, and so Pulse sounds way more my style of film, even though Cure should have been my style too. That's why I'm worried. But I really think I will like this one. But yet not liking Cure has sort of pushed me away, So I will be watching this one soon. Well, I mean he's got that new film Cloud. Yeah, that maybe you start with that one and then you kind of work your way back to Pulse. Appreciate the comment from Stan This says, yes, I am wrong, thanks to Chime.
Speaker 2: Actually, Chime is another interesting one that you could check out. That's again, it's only forty five minutes, and I think that one. I think I watched it on YouTube. It's also I don't know. If you don't like Cure, I wonder where you'd stand with it. But if you're looking for something shorter at least, that might be another thing to like test the waters with before you jump into Pulse, which is a good two hours.
Speaker 1: So, as I mentioned, I was trying to go from like four or five different to eras isn't really the right word, but like groupings of films, and I felt like I needed to have one that was much more modern. But also this one sticks out like a sore thumb amidst the rest of what I'm talking about tonight, and it's because it's so damn charming. I had to bring up this movie, and I feel terrible because it's gonna be another one that I can't talk about most of the movie, but I'm gonna do my best here. Twenty seventeen's One Cut of the Dead. This movie is a masterpiece in my opinion. This is a movie that if you are ever somebody that's ever played around with the video camera at home, or had the dream of making short films with your friends, or watched movies and immediately said, I want to be able to make a story like that one day. One Cut of the Dead, I feel like, is one of the most consistent modern movies that when I watch it with other people, we walk away going, do you want to go make a movie? Right this moment, because my god, I'm super charged. One Cut of the Dead is a zombie movie about a bunch of individuals being attacked in this abandoned warehouse. You see them fighting off the zombies and trying to escape. And it's a film that is still feature length, it's not like an extra short film. But it flies by because of the way they tell this story. And you are completely turned on your head part way through this film to find out that the movie that you thought you were watching is not the movie you were watching at all. For those that have never seen One Cut of the Dead, that is a frustrating way to explain this. But please do not go watch a trailer. Do not find out from anybody else what this movie is about or what they thought of it. Don't read letterbox reviews first. Go watch this movie and know nothing about it. Truly a masterpiece. Now, this movie was carted out by Third Window Films a handful of years ago, and they're a company over the UK, and they took it worldwide. They made this movie explode, And so around twenty nineteen, like early twenty nineteen or late twenty eighteen, this finally left mainland Japan and we get over here, and everybody finally saw it, and it has been everywhere since then. It had a really nice run on shutter. There's been foreign remakes of this movie because it's such a brilliant way to make a film. Please go see One Cut of the Dead if you have not seen it. It is not like a quote zombie movie. You're not going to get the same sort of feeling like you would just hearing that this is a movie about zombies. This is one of the most cinematically grounded films of inspirational like just making a fucking movie already type of feeling because it's such a simplistic way to make a movie, and god, dang, is it just exciting One Cut of the Dead. Please tell me you've seen this and you love this.
Speaker 2: I love this movie so much. It was such a fun I'm not put this on mychael, but it's something that I've been I've had on my list forever, and so I'm just like trying to watch even more and just kind of get and like I knew very little about it other than just kind of like a curse like tagline sort of thing, and so I had a sense as to what was going to happen. But the way that they played it was just so effective. I mean I definitely say, just like Ryan said, go in not knowing anything about it. Just that's the best way to just go in and enjoy it. Is such a fun movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so unique. That's the other thing. Like I have never seen anything remotely that gave me the feeling that this movie did.
Speaker 2: It's pure fun. I mean, I completely agree with you, like you feel invigorated by the time it ends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, your final movie, sir? What is number five?
Speaker 2: Final movie? This is one that I unfortunately it's probably hard to track down, but it's a really interesting film called The Inerasable from twenty fifteen, directed by Yoshihiro Nakamura, and it's a the story of a novelist who rights It's an interesting premise, like a novelist who writes novels based on like true ghost stories that people send into her, and then she takes those and adapts them and kind of creates a whole novel about it. So she gets a letter from a student about these these sounds from her roommate or from her room in her apartment, and they start investigating and talk and it becomes like this investigative reporter sort of thing with this author and this student as they then go around trying to figure out what is going on, and it plays like it's almost like this detective story is really what it ends up feeling like, because it's these two women who are who end up basically tapping into a particular property, or not even property, but just the land that even the property is on and everything else that had been built upon it. And they keep doing research and they find this terrible thing had happened, and they think that's the story, but there's there's a thread that makes them go, there's something else here. Let's talk to this person and they're like, oh, well, there's also this whole other thing that had happened before that, and you start seeing it's it's kind of like if you're familiar with the Grudge or jew on that franchise, Like it's this haunted place and it just kind of like keeps attacking anybody who happens to come by. It's similar to that in the in the kind of the style, because there are all these different hauntings and somehow they all end up kind of becoming related to each other. And you start seeing why and so they go back like I think over a century by the time you get to the final stories and you start seeing and then and also the sense that it's gone even before that. But you get this sense that and this is something I find that these Jay horror stories is the sense that something doesn't just go away, right. You can't just solve it, like in an American horror film where you're just like, oh, I found this piece of jewelry that proved that this person was incriminating. This is the incriminating of evidence. We need to prove that this person killed that person, and now the ghost is free. Like that just doesn't happen. It's like, yeah, the ghost is still there, and now they're pissed and all these other things are going to happen. This is one of those. It's definitely deliberately paced, I will say, and that you can kind of feel that in the tone, but it had this sense of dread that it carried along with it that it worked well for me. The inerasable.
Speaker 1: I have never heard of this one. I feel like this is not a title that gets out there very often, so there no good Oh.
Speaker 2: It's very few people. I mean only on letterbox seven hundred and ninety four people have watched it, so's if you can find a copy of it, it's it's worth checking out. Or if anyone who distributes is looking at picking it up. Who's listening?
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, this this sounds really good as well. Geez, some great recommendations tonight. I I love Jay Horror. There's so much in her. Again, I was trying not to pick the biggest titles, but there's one that we've talked about sort of all of the like sub genres of Jay horror that have gone the eclectic route, the industrial route. There's a couple that I'm trying to choose from. As my last I surprisingly had eight on my list. I was just like, hey, if he says one I have, I guess. But I'm for some reason finding myself drawn to one of the more extreme titles. And so this is one that again probably many of you have seen, but I feel like it still does not get enough attention because it has a reputation. So I got to talk about nineteen ninety nine's audition Takashi mik This was really by arro In I think twenty nineteen, and I would not be surprised at all if this was released in four K at the end of this month. This is one of those movies that deserves more recognition. It's incredible. But so this is a kind of a very tough movie to watch. Our main character, I think his name is Schigaru or Shagiru. He works at a film studio and he is widowed. He lost his wife handful of years prior and wants to replace her finally, and so understanding that he works at the studio, he says, let's hold some auditions, and so they bring all these women in. They hold these auditions, and they find one that he thinks is great, and of course it's a jay horror movie, so she's not as she seems. And this character is a Sami and this movie goes from This movie goes from zero to like one hundred and fifty and breaks the scale because they're some crazy things that happen in this movie. There's some very effective, like pretty extreme gore shots. There's a really great scare in this movie that I don't know it's again, this is a really popular movie. So I'm sorry if I'm spoiling this for you, but it will still be effective if you haven't seen it. There's a scene where you see this person Asami, like preparing some things, and in the background you see like some stuff behind her, and then eventually you realize that's a garbage bag on the ground that eventually moves, and it's not even it's not the forefront of this scene. It is captured because Takashi Mike is directed like one hundred and ninety four movies, so he's kind of good at it. At this point. He's got this framed in a way where she is like your sole focus and you finally realize that this is like just some garbage behind her. But when that moves, it is such an unsettling, under your skin, creepy moment that I will live with that moment and that feeling for the rest of my life. Yeah, there's a couple of very famous scenes, like with piano wire in this movie, and uh, some stuff that will as acupuncture needles are pretty intimidating. Yeah, this movie is very, very effective, and it's it's actual horror here, which I understand a couple of mine I've leaned away from that from the industrial side. And then one cut of the dead, So yeah, I had to really lean in. This is one that people are like genuinely terrified of. This is a very effective Takashi Mike film, probably one of his most most seen obviously, but one that does not discuss in the uh in the pantheon of jayhor as a whole. It doesn't seem to get its due because it's not like quote unquote stereotypical like your Juwons and your Ringus. And it is a really really well made movie and also came out in ninety nine, it was never going to be able to stand out when it's literally discuss is one of the best years of film ever and it's most people are watching one hundred and seventy eight other masterpieces that year. It is so great, and if you can get through some of the extreme stuff, it is competing with your Irreversibles and your other films like that that are disgusting and terrifying and crazy that absolutely your masterpiece is just like Martyrs, like we talked about earlier, It's deeply philosophical, deeply psychological. It's a damaging movie. It is a movie that you will probably think about for two or three days after watching. At the very least, tell me how you feel about Audition.
Speaker 2: What's so fascinating about the film is that it doesn't set itself up as what it ends up being, right, and like you start the film like, this is why I think it works so well, and this is why, honestly the bulk of the art that goes along with it really kind of pisses me off because it kind of you give so much of it away and you don't need to do that. It sets up a film that feels like it starts kind of as a drama and then it shifts. Okay, I think we're going to go into kind of erotic thriller territory as we get to that point where they're at the resort and he wakes up and she's gone right, and it's like it so you feel like, Okay, now we're going to get into like the the basic instinct erotic thriller thing that where the rest of the story is going to go. And it doesn't. And I think that was such an interesting way to kind of like shift the story into such a dark, dark way. But because I mean the whole first half of the film we're looking at like the destruction, like how destructive may be in relationships and the power that they wheeled over women, right, Like that's really what so much is going on in the story, and it's disgusting how these men like set up let's do an audition and find you a new wife. I get's like a horror viley. These people are the worst. You kind of like want what happens to happen later. Yeah, but then it gets into like everything else and I don't know, it's just like it's kind of the result of the way that they behave and I don't know, I found it to be a really effective build for me, and man, it's it is a film that I will not forget, particularly her lovely lilting voice. Yeah, which is deeper, deeper, deeper, deeper, deeper. It's like, man, oh.
Speaker 1: I need to rewatch Audition. It's been some time. This movie sticks with you, like I understand. You know, people are earlier were saying that only watch Martyrs once. This is one of those movies for a lot of people. God, I love this movie and I think, if I don't know, there's something about k horror that has always been just top of the list for me. But if not, like this movie would be competing up there because it is so great. I love this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an easy one.
Speaker 1: What are some other ones that you considered talking about tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, Suicide Club was one that was on my list of things to talk about. I mean, and you mentioned like we were trying to avoid all the big ones like all the jew on the Curse and and Ringu and all of those, but I had in the in the realm of Shimizu's films. I wanted to watch the whole trilogy before we had our conversation, but he he did a trilogy more recently that's based on like urban legends, and they're all urban legends around particular locations. And the first one's called Howling Village. That's the only one I managed to watch. But it wasn't as good as I was hoping it was, but it was still really fascinating. So, I mean, that's like an interesting trilogy of Shimizu films that you can check out. It's like the Curse. I don't can remember. It's like the Cursed Village trilogy something like that, But Howling Village was an interesting one I was debating about. There's another another Maria Sato film called Under Your Bed, which is a dark film about. It's a weird film because it's about it's a really it's about abuse and a woman who's stuck in a very very physically abusive, mental abusive relationship and a man who loves her from the outside and realizes what's happening. But it's in the weirdest way possible because he's stalking her and his cameras in her house and everything, but he loves her. It's a weird one. It's a very weird one, but it's an interesting one for sure. So I don't know, there's there's a wide variety of things to choose from.
Speaker 1: What about You the only two that we haven't mentioned at all. I had a couple of those ones as well. The movie Versus, which is not really a horror movie, but it definitely has scenes that are very rooted in horror. It's a weird kind of amalgamation film. It's from two thousand, directed by ryu Hey Kidamura, and the story behind how they had to make this movie will explain to you why the movie ends up the way it does, because essentially they would film some and then they had to go like earn money to film the next day, and sometimes they didn't and so they had to go do things for like three months and then finally get stuff together to be able to film those next couple of scenes. There was one time they were filming on the mountain and essentially got kicked out of that area and had to go find a similar looking place on another mountain to keep filming, And it ends up being like this weird mashup of like five different genres. There's like some martial arts aspects, there's some action epic type of scenes I really really enjoy versus it's pretty damn great. But the main one that I feel awful about not being able to include, and it's because it's got some of the best names in all of horror history, not just horror, but just Japanese cinema, and it's not one that has a really great HD release. So I'm gonna do my best to try to speak this into the ether now. Two thousand and four's Three Extremes anthology horror with some of the best names. Like I said, ever, fruit Chants, Kashi Mike, and Park Chan freakin' Wook. You've got dumplings in this, You've got cut, and you've got box. Three different stories that are piled together in a really unsettling anthology that will mess you up for it. Yeah, unsettling is probably not even strong enough.
Speaker 2: There's one story in particular that I had people walk out of the theater when I was when I saw that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is again it's because it's shorts. Like, I don't really want to spoil any of them, but I would say anthology anthology horror is classically very hit or miss. Like most the time, if you're a fan of Western anthologies, you'll get a new one and you be like, man, there's seven stories. I hope two of them are at least enjoyable. Three extremes is all gas, no breaks this whole. I really like all three of these. I think they're made. I mean they're three incredible directors, so that they're made with like this panache that feels great. And it's just it's a hard anthology to watch because it's not not easy stories, but it's one that everybody should see. We do have a question, Sip says, where do you know where you can get an English version of Under Your Bed?
Speaker 2: That's a very frustrating one because it's on Plex. But the Plex version that's on there when you hit play is actually the Korean remake, so it's not it's not the Japanese one, even though it is. I don't know if there is an easy way. There's a I think there's a version of it on YouTube that has no subtitles at all. I happen to have a copy that I can't share, unfortunately, from my guest who sent it to me. So but I know, I take that back. Hold on, I think it was a different film that I can't share, but this one, I think is actually on daily Motion, which.
Speaker 1: That one great streaming service daily Books.
Speaker 2: You know what, if they carry it though it's you know, it can work. So yeah, I can. For some reason, I can't join the chat because it's not liking my YouTube account for some reason, so I will private chat it to you and then you can post it. But this is the daily Motion link, which as far as I know, is not something that's that I can't share.
Speaker 1: So all right, if anybody wants to watch this movie, there is the link to daily Motion the chat. I am saving the link on my end because I mean it sounds great, man, this conversation. I do not get to talk about Jay Horror enough, So I think you picked a really great topic. Thanks for doing this, Andy. I know that you're not live shows, and coming on for three and a half hours is a big ask.
Speaker 2: Well, considering my show runs three hours. It's not too bad. It's not too bad. But no, it's a blast. I mean geez, like all of the We've covered a wide array of things tonight and it's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I hope people enjoyed this. Let me know. I want Andy back. Let me know that if you enjoyed it, of course, I'm going to ask Andy to come back hopefully. Says yes, Well, we'll I have to think of something specific like this again.
Speaker 2: This was a damn good time. Absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 1: CinemaScope links for all that. True Motion F.
Speaker 2: Three and a half hours, folks, three and a half hours.
Speaker 1: True Story FM not True Motion. I was reading Daily Motion at the same time. A True Story FM link in the description below. Please go subscribe to that thing that I can't say out loud properly. Lots of great episode. CinemaScope is my favorite, but you've got other shows that you can find that you're involved in and that you help produce. Great stuff. Andy, fantastic you've been incredible guests.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you so much for inviting me. I really had a blast.
Speaker 1: Well Andy wants to go to bed, I'm sure, so thanks everybody for hanging out. It's been a long show. Next Thursday, like I said, Severn sales, so we're gonna be up checking out the sale, talking about titles, giving recommendations our guest next week. The list we're going through is just recommendations for the Severn sale because he and I have been with Severn for a long time, so we got a lot to talk about. Yeah, thanks Andy, you're amazing.
Speaker 2: Likewise, buddy, we'll see all next Thursday.
Speaker 1: Have a good one, Stay safe and until next time, be safe. Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Tell me, do you love movies?
Speaker 2: So do I.
Speaker 4: What's up, y'all. It's KB and I love movies, inviting you to listen to the Conversation, a film podcast where passion meets perspective and opinion from the old school to the new. I invite a guest on to discuss the movies that thrill us, challenge us, break our hearts, or even blow our minds. There's always new episodes dropping wherever you get your podcasts, so join the conversation. We don't just watch movies, we love talking about them too. The Conversation with KB Loves Movies a part of Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening. To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network. Please select the link in the description