Speaker 1: Hey, folks, Welcome to episode three hundred and eighty nine of The Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here with tonight's guest Anthony Vincey. He's the author of The Fourth Intelligence Revolution, The Future of Espionage and the Battle to Save America. I've recently just looked through this book and it's needed a lot of topics in here to cover. Well, we'll get into as many as we can. But Anthony, first, thank you for joining us on the show today.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So tell us a little bit, you know, getting into your background about how you came to the intelligence community.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I, like a lot of guys in my generation, nine eleven happened and I saw that I heard that call loud and clear and realized it was my time to serve. My father was a marine, he was in Vietnam. My grandfather was in the army. He was in World War Two, and this is my war. And so I signed up and became an intelligence officer.
Speaker 3: And your pathway was through the army.
Speaker 2: Correct, No, I was a civilian. I just went in straight. My brother was a marine. He went that direction. I went the other direction, and and and you know, I wanted to be a spy, So I okay, so that was my path.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about the particular path that you took and how that went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, look like I said, I I was kind of in it to go and serve and get in the game and go to war frankly, and I decided I wanted to do military intelligence side of it. That's the direction I went, and I signed up. You know. The weird thing is, you know, you think it's going to be some crazy recruiting operation and somebody's gonna tap your shoulder, you know, at a at a bar or something. But you know, bottom line, you still got to put an application into the website. And so so I did, and uh and and signed up. It is an immense amount of selection that you go through for these kinds of jobs. The clearance, you know, where there's everything, and then lesh joint government and then when you when you want to go to training program to go to the farm midday, uh to you know, make sure personality type and you're able to handle yourself, you scrolling things like that, and UH made it through all that and UH when when went down south training.
Speaker 3: Where was that for cho where is it that they do that?
Speaker 4: Uh well, in fact, I had the specific location named in my book and I was asked to remove that location in my review process and write that it is in southern Virginia.
Speaker 1: Oh you you went to the premiere human trade craft school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, gotcha. But so this is interesting.
Speaker 1: You're a civilian, you're doing military intelligence, but you're going through case officer training as a civilian. What was this position that you took, and you know, how do how does this work? You know, sort of as a military civilian so to speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a case officer role, and you know, there there was you know, there there's a little history, uh to it in that you know, military has always had intelligence and the you know, the the military intelligence agencies like DA and so forth have have played a role. And then you know, if you look back in post nine eleven, Donald Rumsfeld when he was Secretary, you know, wanted the military to have people who could go down Raine Afghanistan after ninety eleven, and they didn't, is my understanding reading the history. The CIA obviously did and they sent Jawbreaker and the other teams out there, and so Rumsfeld, you know, you can kind of read said, you know, we need to stand up some some capability here, and they did.
Speaker 1: And so you went through your training, and you know, are you able to say what agency you were actually working for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was at I was at d I A when I when I went through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what is like the roles and responsibility of a d I A case officer, Like we've had many CIA folks on here. I think probably our listeners are pretty well familiar with what they do, but yours is similar but different, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, same job, same case officer job. You know, spot, assess, develop, recruit, handle assets, right, figure out guys who have placement and access, you know, whether that's in a terrorist group or whether that's in the Ministry of Defense, and and get them to provide me with secrets and then get those secrets back to Washington or or or or to a FOB somewhere. You know. I think that the primary difference you see between c I A and d I A is that d A is there for strategic military intelligence. You know, the these are these are missions where you know, and it involves counter terrorism, counter you know, insurgency operations of course, but it also involves you know, really traditional military intelligence like order a battle, military equipment, you know, those kinds of things, preparing you know, preparation of the battlefield, all of that that's reporting up. It's it's not typically as tactical as you might get within the services, you know, where where you've got you know, you know, guys looking out just around their fobs and things like this, collecting on the battlefield and so forth. But it's sort of at the more strategic level, as opposed to CIA, which is looking really broadly at American foreign policy, at geopolitics, at strategy, also at some you know, military issues, you know, especially when they're kind of the national level military issues.
Speaker 1: It's and you know, when you say not at the tactical level, that includes you're also probably not laid up wearing a gilly suit looking through a spotter scope observing the enemy for a week on end. It's more like the adversary is developing a new ballistic missile. Can we get the specs on it? That's what I imagine anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that's definitely, you know, I think where the traditional military intelligence was, you know, if you think about like the Cold War, you know, even up through the nineties, is yeah, you know, they're developing ballistic missile. They they've you know, they're looking to acquire something from US to develop a system. You know, if there's a counter intelligence angle to that Post nine eleven with Iraq in Afghanistan. You know, I went to Iraq, That's where I deployed. And you know you're in you're in traditional counter terrorism counter insurgency operations as well. I mean you're you're looking to figure out where you know, insurgents are located, where terrorist groups are located. You're you're thinking about who's in who's in command of those terrorists are insurgence groups, and and and those sorts of military things. I think everybody was just chipping in on the same mission.
Speaker 1: What was that like for you personally, because you mentioned the sort of changing roles here, but this was also your time you you joined Post nine eleven. But from what you're describing, like this kind of is a very tactical thing to sort of like build out a terrorist organization's chart of you know, how they work. It's not you know, the Chinese are developing a new strike fighter, you know, can we get the plans for the ejection seat? Like it's a very different type of intelligence I would think, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, you know, you only know what you know, and I went in, you know, I was that that was the only world I knew. Actually, you know, I I deployed in two thousand and eight, and you know, we were you know, it took took some time in training before that. And the only thing I was thinking when I joined intelligence, that's what we did, Like we were focused on coin and CT and that other kind of military intelligence kind of seemed old fashioned to me in some way. You know, it was like I was like, yeah, that's in. I understood that it was important and somebody had to do it. But you know, myself and a lot of guys who signed up post ninety eleven were like, we're here to be in the game, and this is where it is. And and you know what's interesting is that sort of started to change, you know, over time, and by the time you know, we'll get into it later, by the time I came back into the government later at NGA, that was sort of ending and gone and we'd moved back into this like these great power politics and you know, Cold War style operations again.
Speaker 1: Are there any stories from that period of time that you're able to tell about being in theater chasing terrorists down.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what one thing I would say is this is, you know a lot of a lot of people think about kind of the case officer job from that that Cold War approach, like, Hey, I'm gonna go out. I'm gonna find some source who works at the embassy, you know, foreign embassy or maybe they're a you know, adversary intelligence officer, like a KGB guy, and I'm gonna try to recruit him and take people to dinner and you know, doing doing SDRs and you know, pretty cities in Europe, and that's obviously not what it was like during during you know, when you're in Baghdad or a place like this and where you know you have you're bringing in. Now you're operating in a war zone and you have to protect yourself in the same exact way as as as as as a soldier would, as anybody would who's sort of outside the wire, right, So you're doing all of those things and you you have weapons, maybe have security outside of yourself. Usually typically a case officers operating alone in that job. Historically maybe maybe with an interpreter, but typically alone. You learn the language yourself, and now maybe you need to operate with security or at least driver you're you're you're armed, because you need to defend yourself if there if a situation arises, you have to be in really strong communications because if something bad happened, obviously you need to call for help. All those things are not what you picture when you picture Cold War operations, Like the last thing you want is like a radio or some piece of comms gear on you potentially because that could give away what you're doing. Right, and so you're trying to operate clandestinely, you know, in Vienna nineteen eighty six or something. But now in Iraq you're operating like a soldier in many ways, but you're trying to also be as clandestine as you can, to stay off the radar, to stay low profile. That's just a really different environment. And it's interesting we had done that before. And when I was kind of in training, I met one of the OSS guys, the Office Strategic Services. These are like the OGS, you know, they were World War Two eras, pre CIA, pre pre special Forces, you know, and and these guys were you know, they were badasses and they were operating behind enemy lines. There's a group called the Jedburghs, of which this guy I met was was one where they would send him behind the lines sabotage and so forth. And that was really kind of the last time we did we did that much, you know operation. I know in Vietnam they did some, but World War two is the last time where we did. You know, that's what the force was doing basically.
Speaker 1: Did you have any kind of like close calls you mentioned having a roll around with security. Were there any dicey situations where you're like, I don't know if we're going to make it out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely a little nervous there in a few situations, and you know, things things were blowing up a lot in that period of time in Baghdad. But you know, I I think like a lot of like a lot of people who are in those environments, you you sort of you do a lot of training before you go, and you're with a lot of guys who know what they're doing, and you feel like, you know, you're young, and you know, I was in my twenties, and you feel like you're invincible and I can handle it. It's going to be fine, and uh, you know, thank god, I walked out, okay, and and and people I was working with it.
Speaker 1: And after that, did you have any more like traditional assignments where I know, liked I a guys work out of the embassies a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I I did have traditional assignments. I don't want to say specifically you know where I was working out of, but but I had traditional assignments, which you know, is a real it's a it's it's it's a weird transition when you go from this environment where you're operating pretty pretty tactically, you're you're you're doing a lot. You know, you're you're just working all the time. You're you're you're just constantly running through the intelligence cycle like in real time because things are moving so fast, to like a more traditional environment in in a you know, typical world city where things slow down a lot and you start to think much more strategically long term things take a while, you know, and and for a lot of us, myself included, that that transition was hard. It was it was hard to kind of go back to that. It didn't feel that sense of mission that you did that was just paramount when you're down range or when you're supporting somebody who is. But you know, it's two very different worlds.
Speaker 1: So I want to take a minute today to tell you guys about the Perfect Gene. I've been wearing them for a few weeks now and really enjoy them, and I just want to share it with our audience. You know, sometimes jeans have this problem where you know, you guys all have seen these skinny genes that they like crush your ball and you know it's just not comfortable to wear or the other way around. The jeans are like too baggy. You know, you have this sort of like diaper in your ass area looks like. So there are these problems that you know, different fits of different types of genes have, uh and the Perfect Gene strives to fix that, both the fit but also the mobility, the maneuverability. It has a stretchy fabric like they say it's like yoga ready, but you know I would say it's athletics ready. You know, moving furniture, doing things around the house. You're not going to have that like super tight, like constricted fit that you feel like you're not gonna.
Speaker 3: Be able to move around in.
Speaker 1: And there are over four hundred thousand people out there wearing these jeans at this point, so not all of them can be wrong. I hope you guys will go and check them out. So a few scenarios where you can wear these jeans and where they really come together. Everything from you know, doing yard work or doing things around your house, if you have to move furniture around, or you have to do handiwork. They're perfectly comfortable, but you can wear them, you know, getting your man spread on on the subway if that's your thing. So the Perfect Gene is great for all kinds of different environments, whether it's doing handiwork around the house or on the job or athletics, and we really hope you guys will go and check them out. For a limited time, our listeners get fifteen percent off their first order plus free shipping at the Perfect Gene dot nyc. Or google the Perfect Gene and use the code House fifteen for fifteen percent off. That's fifteen percent off for new customers at the Perfect Gene dot NYC with promo code house fifteen. After you purchase, they'll ask you where you heard about them. Please support our show and tell them we sent you.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Fuck your kakis and get the Perfect gene. This time of year, the pace doesn't slow down, but you still need to. The calendar's packed, the weather's changing, and your body's reminding you that it's time to rest and reset. That's where ghost bed can help. It's a family run company founded by a team with over twenty years of mattress making expertise. They've spent decades perfecting how to build a bed that's durable, comfortable, and engineered to help you recover. Every ghost Bed mattress is made with premium materials, proven cooling technology, and their exclusive pro Core layer, a targeted support system that reinforces the center of the mattress where your body is the heaviest. It helps to keep your spine aligned and your back supported so you wake up ready to take on what's next. In ghost Beds, cooling materials don't just keep you from overheating, they help regulate your temperature year round. Each mattress comes with one hundred and one night sleep trial and a twenty to twenty five year warranty, plus fast free shipping. Most orders arrive in two to five days, so better rest is just around the corner right now. During ghost Beds Holidays sale, you can get twenty five percent off site wide for a limited time. Just go to ghostbed dot com slash house and use the promo code house at checkout. That's ghostbed dot com slash house promo code house. Upgrade your sleep with ghost bed, the makers of the coolest beds in the world. Some exclusions apply. See site for details. And thank you ghost bed for sponsoring the show. Please check out the link down the description and support our sponsor. I mean, yeah, I don't need to ask where you were, but are you able to talk a little bit about how that functions because as I understand it, I suppose it depends on the size of the embassy. But there's some case officers and there's some analysts from the DIA.
Speaker 3: What is their actual job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to get into the specifics of how they do it or where they do it, but you, I'll say the generally the way that human human intelligence collectors of any stripe could be a case officer, could be a deprieve debriefer. You know, there's there's there's multiple people whose job it is to collect information from other human beings. And you're going out there and you know, either maybe you're recruiting a source, like I said, and collecting information from them. If you're a debrief or you're just debriefing say a friendly like an American person or something, and you're bringing that back and you're writing it up. At a at a literal level, you've got a you have a set of collection requirements, and you know what you need to ask about. You know, maybe one day it's how is this laser made? And the next day it is you know, where is shake so and so? And how do I find him and and And you're you're asking those questions. You're you're you're taking notes, you're bringing that back, and you're writing it up. And then that that is the and going off to two analysts who are putting that information together ultimately combined with with other with other intelligence by all source analysts who are going to put all the pieces together and report it up the chain. And like I said, you know, with a with d I, A or other military intelligence that might go to you know, to one of the services and to their intel unit, to like a two shop somewhere. It might go directly. Some of this stuff, especially strategically, it's just going directly to generals, right, I mean, it's it goes right up the chain, but it's also going to feedback into the White House and so forth into the National Security Council because a lot of this stuff can be strategic and it can matter, you know, And that that was kind of a weird thing during post nine eleven, where things that seemed tactical, like where is this one person, uh, this one bad guy all of a sudden are strategic, like it's like president level stuff, like they want to know where these guys are because you know that was the enemy. Then it's totally different today, you know, where you know, we're worried about you know, nuclear weapons again, or worried about you know, China's going to go to war.
Speaker 3: And how many years did you spend at D I A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was there. I was there for as a govey for for several years. I don't I don't want to get into specifics because I was in different roles and it may not match up with my.
Speaker 3: LinkedIn What what what is your LinkedIn say?
Speaker 2: I think it says I was you know, as a staff officer for uh. Yeah. That that's that's the weird thing with the book coming out, you know, all this stuff I didn't talk about at all period. And then when I joined n g A, I was sort of out it right because I was in this public role, but I still still really didn't talk about it. I said, I was an intelligence officer, and and you know, people I knew were like, hey, I thought I thought you were up to something, like it was weird that you were like gone for months at a time. But it was really only with this book where you know, with a book like this and you're you're telling your story that that all the agencies actually come in and take a look that I was able to say really anything. And so still remain a little bit cautious of where I where I draw the line, because you know, as as you know, you still want to protect those are still still in there doing doing the same job.
Speaker 1: So according to your LinkedIn, I take it you had a sort of breaking service between d I A and the n g I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I I left, you know, I again, I was there to go down range and to serve I never really saw myself as like a lifelong government employee, that that's not what I was necessarily in it for. And and I left and I went back. I had worked in the tech community briefly right after college and I went back into the tech community and I founded a startup and kind of ran that for a while. And when I exited that, that company, I you know, was looking to get back involved again, you know, but this time maybe just advise or something like that, and I joined. I was invited to join the advisory board at NGA, and the director at the time, Robert Cardillo, and the deputy director, Sue Gordon, were looking for somebody who knew intelligence but also knew the tech industry and new kind of Silicon Valley and really the cutting edge. And today that's common, but you know, five ten years ago, it was actually pretty rare. There weren't that many people. There was this real hard line like Silicon Valley people didn't want to touch national security, and national security people didn't really have a seat to do anything in Silicon Valley world. And I had happened to kind of get into that, and so I went on their advisory board and tried to help figure out how to use AI and how to use commercial data. And then they I said, I gave them kind of a strategy to execute around that, and they just called my bluff and said, why don't you come in and execute that strategy. And so that's how I ended up going back in as a as a govy again.
Speaker 3: So tell us what the NGA is.
Speaker 1: I think it's just one of those organizations that that you know, the general public isn't familiar with, but plays a very important role.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So NNGA is National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, and they do geospatial intelligence, which is is kind of like a new form of intelligence, and it incorporates imagery intelligence. So you know, they're classified and commercial satellites in space taking pictures and using uh you know, sometimes using you know, visual imagery, sometimes using radar imagery and other forms of imagery, and they they analyze that. They they quite literally, if you can imagine it. Back in the Cold War, they would get a piece of film from a satellite and they would look at it with a magnifying glass and try to see where the Soviet bomber was. Right. That's updated now and it all goes through computers, but it's essentially the same thing, and they're trying to see, you know, is there is there a missile on the launch pad?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And you know, and and and and and how far left of that can you get even before it gets the launch pad or you're seeing some indicator that it might go to the launch pad, right, So they're doing that kind of intelligence. But and they're doing that for full motion video off of drones for example as well. And they're doing geospatial intelligence, which is I like to explains kind of like Google Maps. You know, if you if you look at Google Maps, really what it is is a geospatial information tools. So you've got a map and you've got location and and you're appending information to that location. And geospatial intelligence is about figuring out where something is and and when when it was there or is there right and what it is and making intelligence tools out of that. So for example, you know, if there's uh, you know, thinking about like maybe there's a missile on the launch pad, Well you've got it. You've got kind of a map of that area, and you're you could put and append the information about all the other facilities on there, who's there, how things changed over time, and create a geospatial product like that. And so that's what that agency does. It's hugely important. Not a lot of people think about it, but it's one of the agencies that keeps everybody safe because for some of the biggest threats in the world, like unwarned launch from like a North Korea, really some of the only ways to get intelligence out of places like that is from satellites. You can't it's real hard to send a human source to North Korea, and it can be very hard to even get signals intelligence from there. So this is where a lot of that information comes. And these analysts are coming there and keeping watch globally all the time to make sure we're not attacked, but also at the tactical level are producing targeting packages for conventional units, for special operation units and things like that that are necessary for kind of tactical operations as well.
Speaker 1: You know, as you're talking, it reminds me of my friend Sean Naylor wrote a story, one of my favorite stories about this I've ever read, about the Cuban missile crisis and how there were some Cuban assets we had recruited that went up river and took a picture of the launch site or the launcher i can't remember exactly, came back and said, hey, we we found it, and that allowed us to then send you two spyplanes over and take photographs and confirm just like fascinating stuff how that all comes together.
Speaker 2: And that that's where n GA came from. So so during the Cold War, there was ENDPIIC National Photographic Intelligence Center, which was it's it its own office, I think it reported up through the CIA at that time, and they were literally analyzing that U two footage or uh. And then there was also the d M A Defense Mapping Agency, which was that you know, under the Defense Department was making maps. Those two groups and they successors, along with some other pieces, became n g A after I think around two thousand and three mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: And is n g A in any way involved in sort of like the technology I guess development or continuum of like developing spy satellites and surveillance drones and things like that, or is it purely an analytical agency.
Speaker 2: It's an analytical agency. So n ROW National Reconnaissance Office designs and acquires and and and kind of manages the running of satellites for for the intelligence community. And n g A works very closely with n ROW and it supports the ground mission so that you know the tasking of those satellites and the requirements of you know, what should be collected and so forth. But n GA is involved with requirements for future systems. So what sort of intelligence should we be able to get off of these satellites, because you can imagine the analysts want to have a say and what is the next generation of satellite is going to want to do. But they n g A then is not making the satellite themselves. That that's going to go on to another agency. And then n g A is very very used to be very very involved and fully ran acquiring commercial satellite images and ran a big contract with Digital Globe and g o I for a long time, and then other satellite commercial satellite companies like Planet Labs and so forth. That that mission has also moved to n A ROW to actually do the acquisition. N GA remains very involved with acquiring and developing in some places analytical systems like geospatial analytical systems and in particular computer vision and things like this, which is a form of you know, imagery analysis, right, And that's what I was very very involved with when I was at NGA.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure we'll get into this in a bit, but I have to imagine that they are really looking at AI for imagery analysis that if we can plug in the profile of this missile launcher and then have the computer search hundreds and hundreds of photographs and video, that would be a huge thing for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I mean when I came to NNGA, that that was really what I was trying to do. And at that time, you know, there had been research on computer vision for decades really, you know, going back to the even the seventies, right like, people were trying to do this, but it didn't work very well. And they were now around twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, computer vision got much much better because they started using machine learning to do this and and I sort of realized that when I came into NGA, and and that was really many ways my role was. Part of my role was to figure out how to do that, how to acquire those kinds of technologies because they were being developed in Silicon Valley in places like Stanford not it you know, in national labs, or or or by the military or by the prime contractors. For the most part, how to acquire that stuff and how to bring it into the mission because you know, what was also happening is the amount of imagery was just skyrocketing, and we had more and more classified systems because they build up over time, and then all of a sudden, we had all these commercial satellites with all of their data, and now we're you can there's a limit to the number of analysts you can have in the world, right and how many how many billets does does an agency have? And does the Congress want a fund? And so there is a there's a maximum capacity, and so how do you how do you break through that? And how do you ensure that something doesn't slip through and that missile ends up on the launch pad and you don't just miss it, right, And so AI was a way to do that because you can identify objects in an image that you can tell if they've changed and so forth, and then automatically alert and that that was the goal, and that's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 1: And so you said you came on first as a member of the advisory board. But then if I recall correctly, yeah, you became the chief technology Officer, which normally that's like a position at like Hewert Packard or something like that. It's not something you commonly associate with an intelligence agency. Tell us about how that role came about and what it actually was for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I started out as I was the Associate director for Capabilities, which is a less sexy title but an immensely powerful title because I had responsibility for all the technology, all the art and d all the contracting, the procurement, the strategy, and the budget of the agency and so was really managing about half that agency. And this was I was so amazing about what the director wanted to do. He took you know, somebody was forward leaning and kind of a tech guy and pretty young, I mean it was thirty nine at the time, and said, not only do you have this mission, which is I want you to transform how we do intelligence, but here are all these resources, and now go and go and do it. And we built a lot of different offices and organizations to do that. Over time. Then I transitioned into this Chief Technology Officer role, which was a piece of that which was really thinking about the big the big technology strategies. You know, how do we you know, what kind of technologies do we need, whether to develop internally or to buy from externally, and how do we get them into the system and how do we incorporate them with existing technology systems that are typically designed by a contractor, how do we incorporate them into workflows and processes? How do we train people to use these systems? And and also really be the advisor, you know, to the director on technology and on these kinds of technologies. And that's really what that role became about over time.
Speaker 1: And what were some of like the big like I guess, hurdles that you were facing at the time, whether they were technological or bureaucratic, the sort of the I guess I'm asking about, what sort of the big main thrust was of your position at that time, what you were trying to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you imagine taking a step back, if you say to yourself, Okay, we've got this mission. We need to analyze all this imagery. There's too much image images, right, so what do we do. We need to use some technology to do that. So you know, at first I thought, and you would think, right, okay, I just have to go buy some technology. So part of that was, let me just go buy some technology. So we opened up an office in San Francisco where these technology companies were. We set up an OTA consortium to make it easier to buy some of these technologies. We worked with ink Tel and things like that, which is the CIA's venture capital organization, to even invest in these companies and to try to get them to do business. I would go directly talk to a lot of these companies because again, at that time, a lot of Silicon Valley did not want to do business with an intelligence agency. They really didn't. They did not want to be our customer. I couldn't even give them money.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until they realized that defence tech was recession proof investing the way real estate is that they finally got on board exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know, they actually at the time would look at defense revenue and counted as zero in terms of like a lot of investors, venture capital investors would count defense revenue as zero when.
Speaker 3: Because the risk was too high. What what was the thought behind.
Speaker 2: That that it you know, that it took so long to get government revenue that it that it every year had to be renewed, so it wasn't as sticky that that the margin was lower than than you know, commercial SaaS margin and so forth, right, and so they didn't think they were, you know, we were sophisticated customers and so forth, I kind of knew. I had been on the other side, so I sort of knew how to communicate a little bit with the investors and with the companies, and that A big part of my role was at so to go and get this technology. But that was an obstacle, you know, to to sort of convince people. A lot of what I did was give speeches to people like that and and meet with you know, vcs and so forth, and and then but then once you get the technology. Actually it turned out that was the easy part. Like that was the It just got harder from there, right because now, okay, I've got this cool you know, algorithm approach, this this computer vision system made by some cool Silicon Valley company where guys are working in hoodie sweatshirts, you know, at a we work and and then yeah and then uh they and then all of a sudden you realize, well, you can't just like plug that in right there there. There wasn't a lot of a lot of cloud computing at the time. Most of what we did was still on prem It was out of servers that we own that were you know, government owned and operated, and there were the way the workflow works, the way the processes work in these agencies. There's a lot of pieces of locked software that have been made through this really long, multi year requirements process by a single contractor, and to mod that in any way requires another year, two years, you know, to say, hey, well, I just want to take the data from the system and incorporated this other algorithm. They're like, yeah, no problem that. You know that twenty five million dollars and eighteen months we got it. Just no problem. And you're like, that's just not going to work. And so like that integration part becomes really really hard and threatens people, right because companies contracting companies have those contracts. They employ people in states to build that stuff, and they call their congressman if they're threatened. People who job it is to be a pro program manager at n GA are threatened because hey, I've worked my whole life to get this system in place. You know, it's taken me years, and now you're telling me you want to remove it and put in this thing that these guys built in their garage, you know, in six months, and they've never they don't even have clearances. By the way, I don't even know if this is good, which gets into the other issue is, you know, it's got to be secure, you know, unlike a company where you know, if you get hacked at a company, it's it's it's a bad day. You know, you maybe lose some money. You know, your product fails. You know you have an unsecure system. In an intelligence agency, you know, somebody dies right like that that that soft guy in the field now has a piece of compromised you know, map or or imagery that is dangerous, right, and so you've got to take the security piece very seriously and figure out how to you know, now, how do you ensure that this kind of technology is secure? And how do you bring bring those companies in. You've got to get clearances now for companies where you know, the CEO has never even heard of a clearance. They don't even know what you're talking about. And you're saying, no, I need, I need to your guys to get a clearance. They need to come, you know, work in the Beltway now, and so you've got to go through that. And then let's just say you can make it through all that right now, you've got to convince an analyst to use it because you know, remember these these people take their job very very seriously, right. I don't know if if you watch House of Dynamite, that that that movie Catherine Bigelow, and it's it's about an unwarned launch where you know nuclear missile is coming for America and it's gonna blow up and it's killed millions of people, and it's it's it's a very intense movie. But this is a real job. People go to work every day and they worry about that day and day out. That's what an NGAA analyst is doing. They're worried somebody's going to launch a missile and it's going to hit a wahu and it's going to kill a million people. And so when you kind of walk in and you say, I know you have your system locked down, and you've been doing this for years and you've been trained to do this, you're the best at it in the world, and I know this is the way you like to do it. But hey, I have this new technology. It's going to fundamentally change how you do it. And you know they're going to be skeptical and they're going to be like, I don't trust it. I'm not sure how it gets integrated, and not just them, by the way, the customers as well outside of the agency who are sending these reports that they're going to be like, wait, you're telling me this. You know, this piece of intelligence was made by a machine, not by Joe, who I've been working with for the last fifteen years, who's the best imagery analyst. You got. It's made by a machine. They're not going to trust it either, and so you have to get over that. So there's a lot of of you know, working with people to build that trust. There's a lot of tests and evaluation. There's a lot of training for people of how to use these systems, ultimately recruiting people now to help you make all these systems and integrate them. So it becomes this very big issue, and it was hard, and you know, I worked on it and lots of other people date as well. But it is starting to happen now. And I'll say one more thing, which is recently, so not this current director NGA, but the one previous. So eight nine years after I had started down this path, the director announced publicly that they are now publishing intelligence reports in which quote unquote no human hands have touched them. So it is happening, and it only took you know, eight or nine years.
Speaker 1: What did you do to get buy in, you know, institutionally within the organization, because I understand what you're saying. It's like if you're a soldier and they hand you a new rifle and they say this is going to be your rifle. Now you're like, bro, I don't need this. What is this piece of garbage? I'll just use a slingshot like I always have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, well, it's the same Like anybody who's used technology downrange will say the same thing. Like you basically look at a new piece of technology that somebody gives you, like a new radio or something, and you're like, look, I already know this thing's going to break, Like I already know I can't trust it, right, Like so whatever you say, So yeah, you know, how do you do it? Well? You know, one of the things is I think you got to start in a place where you are working with the analysts, for example, or with the people that are going to use it. As you're developing this stuff, as you're acquiring it. You've got to bring them in and have them be part of the process so they see it, they kind of walk down the path with you and have choice and and a lot of them when they do see it are like, oh wow, that's that's actually pretty cool, Like I would like to use that, like how do we do it? And you've got to get that, you've got to get buy in there. And I tried to, you know, work with with those folks as as much as I could, you know, and the director of the of Analysis at that time, who was also very much trying to do this, and and we would partner on these things. There would be tension because she's you know, she's worried about her people and I'm worried about what I got to do their retention. But we tried to work together. So that's the first part. And I think you have to do a lot of tests and evaluation, like you need to show, you need to have rigorous testing and really show this is how it's going to work. Here are the limits. And and the thing is it can't be the limit can't be like perfection. People aren't perfect either, you know, like analysts fail sometimes it's something you know. They they can be compromised as well, you know, yeah, and AI can be hacked, but you know, a person can be recruited. Trust me, It's what I used to do for a living, and so like you're you know, you've got to you've got to try to get to a point where it's you know, how good it is and what the performance envelope is and how close it is to a person and then and then show that and share that and be open with that with with the people who are ultimately going to use it, And then I think you you also have to. My view is is try it out in less risky missions. Some people will say they want to try AI out and like business operations, and that's where a lot of people were at that time and saying, well, yeah, we can use this for like business stuff, you know, admin HR finance. I think you have to go straight for mission because that's the thing we have to get right. But there are missions that are less risky than others. Right, you can worry about a mission in Africa rather than saying, yeah, we're gonna entrust it to monitoring you know, Russian nuclear weapons, Like we don't have to start with Russian nuclear weapons. We can entrust it to a mission that you know, if it if it fails, it is not the literal end of the world.
Speaker 3: That's uh, that's comforting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh and so after this, I mean you, I take it, have gone back into the private sector. And this is this is just a little aside before we get into more serious subject matter. But I read in your book that you are sitting on the board of a company that wants to resurrect the wooly mammoth. Now, I will point out, I will point out, Anthony, that we Homo sapian men hunted that menace to extinction hundreds of thousands of years ago. Now you're all about bringing in new technology. Why do you want to bring this menace back into the world.
Speaker 2: There, there we go. You know, they're they're trying to resurrect dire wolves too, So you know, I uh well, when I left, I I went into investing. I went to Bridgewater Associate, it's a hedge fund, and then and then I went to Serber's Capital, a private equity fund, and and I worked for Steve Finberg, who's who's now the Deputy Secretary of War, which was a privilege. He's an incredibly smart guy and I think really helping the mission right now. And uh, yeah, it's true. I also sat on some boards. I remained interested in tech and and in particular in in technologies that I think, you know, we're either dual use where I thought, you know, these are gonna maybe they have a commercial aspect, but they also are going to help the mission, or where I felt like it was an area that we needed to compete with China on. And I think biotechnology is one of those areas, and and America really needs to compete in that area. And I think Colossal's doing that. And I'm I'm not in the company. I'm an advisor to the company, so I don't work there on a day to day basis. But Ben Lamb, the CEO, is is very strong CEO. He's doing you know, unbelievable things like Elon Musk level craziness, like saying, hey, when I first heard it, I had the same reaction. I was like, wait, what is this Jurassic Park? Are you going to try to like resurrect of wooly Mammoth? This is insanity. But he partnered with this guy, George Church, who is like one of the great you know, like you know scientists in this space in the world. He really he's like a legend. And he's like George is like no, no, no, this is this is a doable thing. This can happen. And yeah, it's about the it's you know, it's about the wooly mammoth and the dire wolf, and they're they're looking at other things. But it's also about you know, animals, and we've made extinct more recently as well, and and or ones that are highly endangered and so forth. So they're doing pretty amazing work.
Speaker 1: I'm more partial to the giant armadillo, maybe the giant sloth, but you know that's that's just user preference.
Speaker 3: You No, I'm glad you brought that up there.
Speaker 1: There's a whole chapter in your book about synthetic biology that I want to get into in a minute here. But tell us about the Fourth Intelligence Revolution. Why did you write this book and what's it about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, kind of reflects my background. Like I went into intelligence, and I saw one type of intelligence that saw counter terrors and counter insurgency type operations. And then I left and I came back and all of a sudden, it was completely different. And when I left NNGA, I really started to reflect on that and and I was like I sort of witnessed two very different forms of you know, approaches to intelligence and and was kind of there for this like new revolution beginning to happen. And so I wrote an article and Foreign Affairs about the AI aspects of this. But then I realized, look, it's even bigger than just that, and so so what I did in the book is I kind of backed up and I said, you know, let's let's look at the history of intelligence how we got here. And I really started World War two because that was really the first time we had what what we would all consider like a true intelligence agency with all the features. And then and then, you know, we shut that down after the World War Two and then stood up the CIA and all these other agencies like d i A and NSA and so forth, and that was the Second Revolution. It was an entirely different way of doing intelligence. The you know, OSS was like cowboys, you know, just out there trying to you know, collect and do ops. The CIA and the NSA, these were professional, you know, well financed, large global organizations up against AGB, you know, up against this other there very professional global organization. And we really professionalize intelligence. And then you know, nine eleven change intelligence again, and all of a sudden, we weren't going up against nation states. We weren't going up against the Soviets. We're going up against this decentralized enemy in al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations, and we had to intelligence had to adapt, and we had to start using a lot more commercial stuff, for example, using the Internet, using cell phones and things like that, having this kind of network intelligence and using more open source information for example. That changed again, and now we're hitting this new revolution, this fourth Revolution, where AI and China are really driving that revolution.
Speaker 1: There's a series of different topics that you cover in the book, aside from the history, but weeding into things, and since we're just talking about the biological aspect, and just because I've a person sort of a weird personal interest in it, just because for no other reason, I feel like.
Speaker 3: This topic isn't really talked about as much.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about quantum computing, we talk about AI, we talk about drones, but I mean, maybe we could start there. Why do you think we don't focus on the biological that you know, on gene editing and some of these other technologies. Is it because of like bioethics and medical laws and things like that that we have in America that kind of prohibit experimenting with those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels sometimes like AI like ten years ago. So people in the space ten years ago realized there was a lot happening. But day to day, if you talked, you know, if you went to two thousand and you know, fifteen and you talk to somebody about AI, they'd be like like an average person and be like, I don't really, I don't know. I know social media. I'm just getting used to social media and cell phones, Like what are you talking about? And now it's it's everywhere and it's on everybody's minds and it's changing the world. I feel like biotechnology hasn't had that like LM moment, right, There hasn't been that jat GPT. But we're seeing the signs. I mean, they made this this COVID vaccine in like months instead of years. We're seeing you know, people curing like blindness and diseases by changing people's DNA. Where Like, there is a real business in the world that is trying to resurrect the bly mammoth and that is a real possibility, and they birthed a dire wolf actually, so like it is starting to happen in a real way. It just hasn't sort of gotten big yet. And whenever you've got a technology like that, nations are going to care and they're going to figure out a way to use it for national security. They're also going to figure out a way to spy on it. And when I was you know, I partially put that chapter in the book is I wanted people to realize this was now in the game. This is part of the game now. And there are you know, Chinese companies collecting DNA information globally. There's a company called BGI Genomics. It's a massive biotech company out of China that collects people's DNA and they do it through COVID tests. They do it through like prenatal tests for like pregnant women thankfully not available here but available in Europe. And they're collecting this information. This same company has contracts with the PLA, with the People's Liberation Army and they're doing work in one of those things that they're doing work on the When you read the description, it talks about population improvement, right like like, okay, where are we going with this? And you're doing this with the PLA. And when I hear population improvement, and I hear people's liberation army. I hear super soldier like, I don't care what they say. That that's my you know, analyst brain. That's what I would say is going on there?
Speaker 3: Can you explain to people?
Speaker 1: I will first, I agree with you, like, when this takes off, it's going to be like the invention of the internet, or it's going to be one of those things that just changes the world. But can you talk to people like more specifically what we're talking about. A country that's harvesting people's DNA and mass Obviously that should scare the hell out of everyone. But the potential this technology has is to give people superhuman strength, endurance, intelligence, perhaps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly so when you when when you have these types of tools like Crisper, for example, which allows you to change to change a gene and and how it's expressed in a person, and you can do things like that, you can make people immune to a disease, you can remove a genetic mutation of some sort, and you can absolutely do things like make them stronger or more resistant to cold, have a higher cold tolerance, for example, or potentially smarter. We're not there yet, I don't from what I read in the literature where we can do those big things because they're complicated. You know, intelligence is affected by many things. But people are absolutely working on it. Companies are working on it. But you know, governments are governments, and an authoritarian government and one that's known, for example, to have in the past performed experiments on political prisoners for example, like illegal experiments. Like you've got to assume, of course they're not going to come out and say this, but you've got to assume they're doing those kinds of experiments, and they could be used. Like you said, they can make people stronger, they can make them smarter. A lot of people think super Soldier and they think, oh, it's just like going to be in the movie and it's going to be really fast, strong guy. Actually, what scares me way more is like you give people an extra fifty IQ points, Like that's far scarier in our world of competition, where people like that could be become intelligence handlists or inventors or compete with us through robotics and other things. Right, So they could absolutely do that. There's an even darker side, which is could you create genetic bioweapons, right, and could you target a disease to a specific ethnic group, right, or could you target it to a specific individual. And this can seem crazy, but it's actually already happened. So in South Africa under apartheid, they tried. They had a program, the apartheid government had a program to create you know, bioweapons and essence that would affect black people and wouldn't be targeted at white people like they This is reported and it's scary. So there is a history of this happening. And I'll say I'll say one more thing as another signal that you can see this is happening, is that when g came to San Francisco to meet with Biden a few years ago and he got up from the table after the meeting, his guys came in immediately and wipe down every surface anything he touched with his body. Immediately they were there wiping it all down. So there's no genetic residue. Like they know, they know the danger and they're watching out for it.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, based on your research and the people you talk to, where do you p receive us as a country being with this subject right now? From a national security standpoint? Do we have any real endeavors in this or is it just something that's sort of like, you know, maybe DARPA has on three x five cards somewhere.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, look, historically we were the ones doing all this research. We had the best biotechnology people. You know, Daudna won the Nobel Prize, she's an American for inventing crisper. Like, we have had the best historically, and I believe that we continue to have the best. But you know, when you're in an authoritarian country like China, the rules that we would apply to how you do human testing, for example, don't have to apply either publicly. They just change those rules, or they can do things secretly that we just wouldn't do. We just you know, we're not going to have a lab in experiment on an ethnic group. It's just not going to do that. Whereas in China they have literal concentration camps for the wigers and easily could experiment on an entire population if they wanted. And maybe they are. It's hard to say because it's kept secret, but so I think they and they're definitely investing heavily in the space and BGI Genomics and other companies have stolen American ip in this space to kind of move more quickly, and then they're investing their own money and training their own scientists and having them come over here and get PhDs and go back there. So they're definitely making a push, you know, and militarily it's hard to know what they're doing because it would be classified. Of course, on our side, you know, we've continued to do research dart Buzz, continue to have you know, biological programs for example. But I don't think that we're you know, if you ask me, I don't think that we put the level of effort into it that we should be if you just simply look at the level of the threat, and to me, bioweapons are right there under nuclear weapon as the most dangerous possible thing, and I don't believe that we spend just under nuclear weapons amount of money on this. I think, for example, we need to do far more monitoring of diseases because people saw what could happen with a major disease with COVID. Nation states saw it. Also, terrorist groups saw it and realize like, oh wow, this is how you do damage, trillions of dollars of damage and you kill millions of people. You know, that sounds great. To a lot of enemies of America, and so we need to really get better at monitoring for this stuff and then figuring out how to respond. And then I believe, and I kind of suggested in the book, like we may need an entire intelligence agency that just does this, it just focuses on biothreats and genetic engineering and synthetic biology and all of these things in the future. It's that important.
Speaker 1: I do feel that it's one of those subjects that it is sort of like, you know, the way like when chat GPT was released, Suddenly the public becomes you know, it's in their face. They understand it and they see it, and I'm like, oh wow, this is a real thing. I mean on the biological front, you shut her to think what is going to be that relevatory moment for the public that's like, oh shit, this is for real.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe it is when they see a wooly mammoth walking around, yeah, maybe you know. Or or it's when you know they see like a genetically engineered person walking around where you know, China did this. They there there was there was a scientist there who changed the genes of of of a fetus and and or of a of a of a of a child to cure them of AIDS or to make them immune to it. It apparently worked, And we don't know much of what happened after that because they kept they said that they arrested the guy. I haven't seen any reporting of really what's happened for all, you know, who knows. Maybe he's just working in a lab now, right, Like it's hard, that's the problem in an authoritarian state. You can't know what really happened, right, But you know, I think I think if people see that happening. I think if somebody, if they see, if they if we see another COVID like epidemic where it's very clear that it was designed, I think people are going to wake up and become very, very worried.
Speaker 1: M Well, let's because we've mentioned it several times already. Let's turn our attention to AI. And I think you have a whole chapter in the book about it, and much ink has been spilt on this subject. You said yourself, you wrote in Foreign Affairs about it. Cut through the fog of wars to speak, tell us how is this technology going to affect us from a national security standpoint?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'd like to baseline AI a little bit. There's a lot of different AI out there. It means a lot of different things, a lot of different people. But I would say this is to me, how think about it is. It's it's a technology that's doing something like a person would do it, and as as a person would do it. So it's not you know when I say an AI system that's identifying objects on an image, like it's picking out the missiles. And so if you just feeded a lot of images, it is going to say there's a missile. That's not there's no rule, right, It's it's actually thinking in a sense, And and you can give it any image, you don't have to show it even it sometimes and it can pick it out. That's what's sort of new here. And chat GPT and these other LM models like Claude and so forth are are the biggest example ever I think in history of this. Like they they produce information like a person, and they can do things that a person that we have traditionally thought only a person could do because it requires some level of like thought and reaction and adaptation, right, and so in intelligence, look, I think just broadly people are going to apply AI to do all sorts of jobs that people do. It's gonna do. It's gonna draft contracts. It already is draft contracts for lawyers. It's gonna help teach kids, like you know, kids use this in school and learn from different AI systems. It's going to make movies like if you've gone on soorra or nano banana or something like, can make make a little movie. Same thing is going to happen in intelligence and this technology AI is going to do all of the different things and intelligence that a person does today. It's going to do what's called the intelligent cycle. It's going to help the collect information, it's going to analyze that information, it's going to disseminate it. It's going to help plan the next information that needs to be collected and so forth. And it's going to be used on sensors like drones to autonomously fly them, remove them, and to identify what they're seeing and then to collect that information and then send it to another drone or send it to another AI system to be analyzed. So I think what's going to happen is that all of the parts of intelligence are going to be done by AI over time and I sort of say in the book, within five years, ninety plus percent of intelligence will will be done in some way by an AI. And that also what's going to happen is intelligence is going to be made for and buy machines. So these AI systems are going to go collect and analyze intelligence and feed it to other AI systems, and some of them are going to be like drones feeding it to drones, or AI analytical systems feeding it to other AI analytical systems, and that's really new, and we really don't even know how that's going to work quite yet, but I'm pretty confident that that is what will happen. And people intelligence officers are going to do jobs that are very very different, Like an analyst might not just their job might not be to do traditional analysis. Is probably not going to be to read a bunch of reports and then write a new report. They're maybe going to task an AI to read those reports and write the report, and they're going to Q see it or have a vision or figure out what questions ask. But really I think what they're going to do is partner with somebody in operations or with a general or with a president to be their interface and that's what it will be to be an intelligence officer and an analyst, not to do it in the old way. Even for a case officer, I think you're going to need to use AI systems. You know, we're still going to collect human intelligence. Ultimately, we still occasionally have to go recruit another human being to give as information. But you're going to need AI to help you deal with all the surveillance for example.
Speaker 1: This is a little bit of a metaphysical question, I suppose, but unfortunately you get there very quickly with these kind of conversations about advanced technology. What do you think that's going to mean for us institutionally when we have a population of people who really don't know how to do anything that it's so phantomo logical the way that these systems work in the background and generate this information and feed into each other. And you know, you're just the guy that gets the report out of the machine, and your whole job is to like hand it to the next guy. I mean, what do you that's like going to reshape the human species? I mean, if you think about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's already happened in some ways, right like in America, we've forgotten how to manufacture many things that we used to manufacture, Like we literally just the people who used to make something, who knew how to mine and manufacture rare Earth's magnets like literally have died off where they just never trained another generation. So we'd like have forgotten things or like iron working, you know, like iron working that you used to be able to do in the eighteen hundreds, Like there are very very few people left in the world who can do that kind of artisanal craft. Right, So we've definitely this has happened before with technology, and I think it will happen with AI. It's inevitable, and we're going to have to at a minimum continue to teach people some of the basics. And I think about like long division sometimes, like when I was in school in the eighties and learning long division, and I knew there were calculators, and I'm like, why are you teaching me long division? Like I'm never going to do it, and they still stubbornly taught us. And it's true, like I can't remember the last time I did long division by hand. I just would use a calculator, but you still needed to learn it so you could understand math generally, and so we could identify mathematicians and engineers and like, you know, do you you needed those building blocks? Right? I think the same thing will have to happen where even though the AI can do this stuff, we still have to teach people, especially children, but even adults how to do this stuff. You're still going to need to learn how to write. You're still going to need to learn how to do intelligence analysis, even if you're not going to really do it that much in your day to day job.
Speaker 1: Right, Right, What was the other question about AI that I wanted to ask you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: So, I guess the other one that i'd ask from more of a military standpoint is I do have some trepidation I have to say about the way the pitch decks are sent out to the public that this is like this utopian technology in a future conflict are We're still going to need soldiers that have to take the hill at some point, right. I think the war in Ukraine has shown us that ultimately, no matter how sexy your cyber ops are, you have to have soldiers taking ground and holding it. How do you see AI interfacing with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the that's sort of the interesting thing, right, I start off the book and with this like William Gibson quote he was he was a science fiction author and he said, the future is here, but it's not evenly distributed. And so I think what happens with technology you sort of see both things at the same time. Like in Ukraine, they're these autonomous drones and there are also guys in trenches, you know, digging them out with a shovel that like literally you could take a Roman legionnaire and put him in that trench and he would know what to do. You know, he'd be like, oh, I see here's a shovel. I'm gonna dig it out, and like, okay, you don't have a bow and arrow, you have a rifle, but I get it. Like bad guy over there, I'm over here, he's shooting. I'm shooting. You know, he would get it. It still works. But then there's this drone flying over. I think that there will be more of that, and like maybe a taste of it is like Operation Spiderweb, which is this Ukraine operation where they took the drones they had to get them for deployed into like Siberia and other parts of Russia and then they kind of flew them either remotely or autonomous lead to attack, but they needed people to get downrange. So you're still doing these like super complex you know operations to move stuff and get it there and then and then you're letting the machines do it now, you know, imagine that in more of a warfare scenario where you've got maybe special operations guys who've got to get this downrange and are using these weapons or yeah, you're you're having the drones come in, but the people are you know, kind of innately flexible in a way that AI is just not there and machines are not and survivable in a way, right Like, you know, at the end of the day, if you have a United States marine on an island, like he could run out of ammunition and he's going to be like, oh, I see, I can cut down this like you know, stick and turn it into a spear and continue to fight. Right Like, We're still going to need guys downrange doing this or controlling these systems or positioning them or you know, ultimately to take and occupy a piece of land, you need to put a person there, Like putting a drone there is not going to work, Like the locals are going to be like they're just going to wait for the thing to run out of batteries, so you're still going to need to put people. I think it's going to be this mix and nobody really knows what it looks like quite yet, but we're going to kind of figure it out in Ukraine's like the preview.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, good point. Yeah, it's not going to happen all at once. Do we want to talk briefly about quantum computing and what that's going to change from an intelligence standpoint?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, quantum is interesting. I mean to me, it's a little further off than than AI. You know, like we were talking about biotech a minute ago, and it's like we're in the pre l M phase. I don't even think we're in the pre l M phase with quantum quid it yet, but when it does hit, and it is one where there could be true strategic surprise, right, Like, for all we know, China has invested half a trillion dollars in creating a quantum computer. Secretly like a Manhattan project could happen, I would be surprised. That's like by definition surprise, but at some point someone is going to make one of these computers. And the biggest thing for intelligence is that such a computer could break encryption and traditional encryption, and that doesn't just mean the encryption of what we're currently transmitting. So we could start today and you know, encrypt everything in what's called post quantum encryption. That couldn't be broken by such a computer. But it's all the old information. And they could have collected that old information, including like nuclear information for example, right like anything that would have been encrypted and transmitted over any period of time and going back to the beginning of you know, computers really and and then they'll you know, potentially could decrypt that and that that will be you know, a major turning point. I think that that information will be out there. Do you ever see that movie Sneakers Robert Redford from the nineties, great movie? You know that that's you know, spoiler, that's what it's about. And you know they're able to break into anything and and sort of look at anything, and like a world like that could be really scary and for intelligence would change everything because all of our old intelligence, which is still sensitive by the way, twenty thirty year old intelligence is still important you know, it could be it could be decrypted, and that would be a major issue.
Speaker 1: Let's get into economic espionage. There's a whole chapter in your book about that topic.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know. One of the other aspects of this, of this fourth Intelligence Revolution, is that it's it's not just about political and military issues, which is how you know, we traditionally think about competitions with the Soviets or or without CATA or something. It's about economics. It's about science and technology, and that includes on the intelligence side. And China has been performing economic espionage on America for years, right They're they're collecting information about American companies about their intellectual property, and they're passing that to their own companies to replicate a product, for example, or they're they're trying to slow down our companies in some way. They you know, they're recruiting people to collect information like insider threats within these organizations. So they're doing economic espionage. And we have always done a little bit of economic espionage, I mean, but it's not really been a big part of it because the Soviets weren't an economic superpower, like, it wasn't that big of an issue. After the defeat of the Soviet Union. Like in the nineties, we were the superpower, we were globalizing, we weren't focused on other you know, collecting other people's information that much. Clinton. President Clinton did ask for some economic information, but not a ton. And then during the Global War on Terror, like we were focused on counter terrorism and like they were not economic actors. So all of a sudden, now we're worried about, you know, economic issues, and I think that we need to build up the capability now to do economic intelligence ourselves, to know what Chinese companies are doing, maybe to try to stop them from doing it. Right, what if, for example, and I'll give you an example, what if there was another global epidemic that was far more powerful than COVID and millions and millions of people were dying, and China would not share with us a vaccine, which you think it's justified to steal that vaccine. Of course, like this is what you know our country does, we'd have to steal it. So or what if we wanted to know if their companies were making this quantum computer that would be able to get our information and all the encrypted information, including about nuclear weapons and things like this and really threaten us like you've got to. I think you're justified to go get that information. And I think presidents need that, and the Trump administration has made it clear that economic competition is a big part of its policy. They should be provided with the information they need to make decisions, and that includes classified secret information.
Speaker 1: Isn't also One of the interesting things my perception of it, anyway, tell me if I'm wrong, is that in other countries, like so like France, for example, the DGSE can help French companies make sales and make a profit, whereas like the CIA, I don't think is allowed to work with, you know, an American tech company or or car company or whatever else to help them sell their product abroad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you can get a master's degree in economic warfare in France. That's cool, Like they're yeah, they're they definitely do it. And other countries do as well. China does it, Israel does it. We have we have we have not done this sort of thing. And so I break it apart into kind of like two pieces, Like one is this issue that I think you were referring to, which is picking winners and like having the government help a company. When I was writing the book, I still thought that was like for boting, like, we're not going to do that. I just wrote about the other thing, which was, well, we need to collect this economic information that's important to national security and give it to policy makers so they can make the right decisions about economic issues. Right, so they can know how far along is China with making a quantum device, how far along are they with AI or biotechnology. We need to know that information. It's national security. And their companies, by the way, are state controlled. Oftentimes they have state owned enterprises, and even if they're not owned by the state, they can be controlled by the state, so they're not purely you know, economic actors, and we need to be able to know what they're trying to do and if they're harming American companies or American people and stop that. Right. So that's what I was thinking about, and I think that's what we need to do. Since I've written the book, the rules are changing and our government now owns ten percent of Intel, and we are investing directly in companies, you know, that make and manufacture things that are important to the national security industrial base, the defense industrial base, like companies that make rare earths like MP materials, for example. So I can now whereas even two years ago I probably would have gotten on here and said, no way, we draw the line at sharing that information. Now I think we might be headed in a direction where we could share that information, and we might do so, and we would be justified to do so, because it's that important that we compete in these technology spaces or in these manufacturing and supply chain spaces, and so we'd be justified to do that now. At the same time, and this is the capitalist in me and the libertarian in me, I also don't want to break our system, which is a good system where companies compete with each other. Right, So if you're picking winners who are bad winners, you're going to get bad companies, right, and like you're not going to pick the right one, and government is not great at picking like the best technology of the best company. So I still want there to be that competition personally. So what I would love to see is a solution where there was a way, for example, to you know, get information if it was necessary, and supply it to an American company if we had to, but to do that in a way that maintained American companies competing with each other, so it didn't like a fairweb.
Speaker 1: Another topic you get into is open source intelligence and how that's kind of like rewriting the landscape of intelligence collection. What's your perspective on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, there's always been open source intelligence. Even even Bill Donovan who started the OSS would talk about it and the importance, and you know, they would collect newspapers, they would they would you know, watch you know, the television of the countries we're at war with, right to see what's going on. So we would absolutely do that historically, but post nine eleven it became more and more important as we realized there was just more information in the open world than in the classified world. And now it's even more the case because again we're competing in these areas like economics or science and technology, where almost all of that information is open source. It's not classified, it's not made behind some you know, in some military base, it's it's at a company, in an office somewhere, and so the intelligence community needs to be able to use that information effectively, to obtain it and use it effectively to to compete in those areas. In particular, Now there's a downside to open source and which is, well, it's open source, so the you know, your adversary knows that it's out there and can compromise it. They could change it, right they or or if there's there's open source in the sense of like commercial satellites for example, that you know, you, you and I could go buy commercial satellite image right now, you know online, but you know, China or Russia or these other countries know that they're up there, and so they could hide their things. They could use a cyber attack to change you know, what the what the satellite sees or something like this, And so we've got to be careful. At the same time, it's secure about using this open source information, and we still need the classified stuff, right because that's really where you get your edge, Like I want an unfair advantage, Like that's the nature of intelligence. That's the game. It's it's not like this isn't there are no rules. I'm purposely trying to cheat. I'm purposely trying to get something that you don't know about. You didn't even know I was able to do it. I'm doing it secretly, clandestinely, right, And so we still need those classified systems. So I think we sort of need. I call it like a Barbell approach, right, Like we need the open source stuff, but we need the super classified stuff too.
Speaker 3: So you're going to have to find a way to integrate the two systems.
Speaker 2: And you've got to integrate the two systems and bring the data together. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Another chapter of your book and another This is something that's also been talked about quite a bit in recent years, is cognitive warfare, disinformation, these type of subjects. And I think back to a conversation we had with somebody about the about Russia and the war in Ukraine, and he was kind of saying, how like this is sort of like the ultimate checkmate against America because a country like Russia can feed us disinformation and feed our public disinformation all day, but here in America we have the First Amendment. You know, you can't stop people from talking, you can't tell them don't say that. And it's like kind of the ultimate checkmate for somebody who's a dictator that they can mess with us all day and we don't have a defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not only do we not have a defense, like we actually don't want one because having a defense would actually break you know, our rights in some way go against our rights. Yeah, it's true to me. The future is, you know, future conflict is going to be about cognitive warfare. And what you're doing in cognitive warfare is you're trying to influence you know who you're competing against, your adversary, and get them to maybe not want to fight, right, Like, that's what propaganda is often about, like get people to not want to fight or disrupt them. You know, Russia tried to disrupt the twenty sixteen election. I don't personally think they were even choosing a side. I think they didn't care. I think they just wanted to create disruption and chaos and make Americans sort of hate each other more, right, Like that was the goal, and that's a win for them, right. And that's another form of cognitive warfare where you're not you're you're influencing people, but maybe not to an end. What's what's happening now, and what really scares me is that now you've got cognitive warfare and artificial intelligence and propaganda and information operation. Cognitive warfare in the past used to be kind of like a one way street. You could essentially advertise, right, like you could put out a flyer or an ad or on Facebook like they did in the election hack, or you could you know, like spread rumors and things like this. Right, but now with AI, AI is like a two way street. Right when you talk to an AI, you talk to it like you ask it a question, then ask you a question back. And and AI is becoming this arbitrar of information. It's where we're all going to go to get information in the future. And the danger is that if an AI system is owned by an adversary country like China owns deep Seek and it's still available here, or they infiltrate one of ours, they hack it in some way, which is not as hard as you would think. There's some studies recently by Anthropic for example, like that show that it's it's actually pretty pretty straightforward to change these big lms that they could use that to go to do cognitive warfare and to influence people using these systems, and I believe influence them subtly and even go after like kids in grade school with this kind of stuff because kids are starting to use AI as well. So it's a major threat. So we're seeing, you know, this move from these traditional propaganda like threats to the middle ground is probably like social media like threats like TikTok, which is a massive threat by the way, and should absolutely be handed over to American company or shut down because it's targeted a generation generation Z and is used. It sensors information and it influences its users, and this has been demonstrated. But we're going to move from that into AI being like the platform to perform cognitive warfare. And that's that's incredibly dangerous and we really don't even have defenses right now, and to your earlier point, we don't even necessarily want the government to censor this kind of stuff, right So who do you have? And that's partially what I write in the book of how well, what is the solution I get into a solution?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to get into solutions. Next one more point on cognitive warfare, and I want to ask you about, like, how do you think we'll have to approach information assurance as we've been talking about the public being propagandized. But I think right now today, as a soldier, you get a message over the radio over the assault net from your commander and he's giving you an order, and he tells you to go somewhere and do something, and you have confidence that in that information, that that is your commander. You saw the guy at work today, you know who he is, his commander. His orders are coming over an encrypted net. It's coming right to you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're we know where we're going and what we're doing.
Speaker 1: And I have confidence that this information is coming down through proper legal channels. But in the future and some of the technologies you've been describing, I mean, how do I know my commander's voice wasn't modulated by AI and it's being fed to me. How do I know that the imagery on being given hasn't been doctored somehow? You know, all of these different questions that like how do you know what's real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you don't. That's the problem. And I think that kind of stuff's absolutely going to happen. I mean, the our supply chain could be corrupted, and there there could be an attack on even a classified or secure communications system. The the you know, the voice of a person could be faked or the writing style or something like this, and what are you gonna do? And you know the thing is in warfare in particular, there's always been deception, right, Like we've always all all sides try to do that and trick the other guy. And you know, you look back even at like in in in in in in World War two, you know, the password could be compromised or something, so you know, people guys would do things like be like, well, who's the shortstop on the Yankees? Or like ask them questions where you know, you can ask multiple questions to be like how do you know you know? And and even during you know, al Qaeda actually went through this because to them, like we were the technological enemy, right, and so they're like, oh my god, these guys can listen to everything we're doing. They've got drones, they can spy on my cell phone, and so they would do stuff like they would never be like here's the operation. They'd be like, hey, you know, Mohammed, you remember that place when we were kids that we would go and you know, we would hang out with you know, so and so, and we would go climb that hill and there was a swing set. Well that's you remember the direction of that place from the village, Well, that's the direction I want you to go. And like doesn't matter how much encryption or like sneaky people like you don't know, there's a there's like two guys in the world who know that, and it's those two guys, and so how do you So there are ways to you know, exist and this. And then the thing is, it's not just going to happen to these soldiers. I think it's gonna happen to everybody. This is really what I get into the book is that everyone is now going to be spied on like this and have information operations committed against them, all of us and even kids. This is going to happen. They're gonna have those same doubts. And right now you already see like where you know, old folks sometimes have like their you know, their grandkids, that somebody will fake the voice and last them for money. Well, that could also be done, by the way, by a foreign intelligence agency if they wanted, or it could just be done as a type of disruption information operation if you did it a lot, just to get people concerned and scared, for example.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about intelligence four point zero and some of the solutions that you propose in your book. And one thing to kind of preface all this, I guess and don't I really don't mean to delve into partisan politics, but I feel like right now, we're at this sort of moment where, depending on who you talk to and what they believe, we're either in this phase of disruption and reform and we're shaking things up and we're making deals, or American intelligence is hanging by a thread. It needs to be saved, I mean, never mind reformed, Like, can we save this thing? Can we resurrect these relationships?
Speaker 3: Do you have.
Speaker 1: A Again, I'm not trying to drag you into into making partisan comments if you don't want to, but where do you see where we are like in this moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I you know, look, I would think about it like this, like that that problem said. I was just bringing up that we could exist in a world where like any information could be faked right at any time, including by adversaries who are trying to harm us as a nation. Right, that's the world we're going into. And they are harming us, they're trying to change information and get us to disrupt distrust things. What do you do? What do you do in that kind of scenario? And you don't necessarily want an intelligence agency to help you there, because the last thing we want is a CIA to come in and start censoring information because they're like, oh, this is disinformation, so I'm in a censor and it's like, well no, actually, even if it is disinformation, even if you know for a fact, that was created by a gru you know, Russian intelligence unit, I still like, somebody still has a right to see it, like it's crazy, but that's true and that's a fact, and so you can't censor this stuff. So actually, I think shutting down the form align the counterform Malign Influence Center for example at Odie and I was like a good idea, Like I don't think it was particularly harmful, but I can imagine this scenario where it could become harmful, you know, if any side decided they wanted to use that to manipulate information. So nobody wants that, but you still have to protect yourself against these threats, right, And I think the way to protect ourselves is that everybody now has to become that resilient endpoint, right, And you have to get trained to think like an intelligence officer and have some level of caution and say, oh, that could be you know, a piece of disinformation. This could be actually somebody just trying to collect information so they can model how I think. And this AI could use that to influence me over time. Right, And then there are ways that you can be taught to, like intelligence officers are to deal with that doubt, right, Like one way you deal with it is triangulating information. You just never trust one source, right, Like the most intelligence officers would never trust a single source, no matter how good you thought it was. It could be a satellite you built with your own hands, and you'd be like, I'm still have some level of doubt here, right, Anything could happen, and so you use multiple sources, right, or you assess the risk of Oh, you look at a piece of technology and say who owns it? And you trace that back and you're like, oh, it is owned by China, should you know, be careful about it. So I think that we have to start looking at people as the endpoint almost in like cyber security terms, and make them resilient at the individual citizen level, where you're protecting yourself, you're protecting your family and your community, and that's separate from an intelligence agency. And I almost think about it as like police versus neighborhood watch, right, Like we we still have police and we still need those guys to go out and shut down the next Internet Research Agency IRA threat, right, But we also need people who are part of the community, looking out for each other and looking out for ourselves. And so when I think about what's going on in the intelligence community today, like you know, we can argue about whether the you know, there's changes here or there. I actually think we need to actually think outside of the agencies entirely and make those agencies better. They should use AI and do all these things, but we should be building as civil society, as a group of citizens our own you know, intelligence function to protect ourselves, because that's the only way to protect yourself from some of these threats.
Speaker 1: I think in your book you say we're all intelligence officers now, which is kind of true in a weird way. Or I guess, you know, a modification of that old saying you might not be interested in intelligence, but it's interested in you. How do you think we would go about it? I mean, is this about bringing back high school civics class and media literacy or is there something something more to it? Because to accomplish what you're talking about, I think we're going to need that gene editing, fifty additional IQ points for each person in America, to navigate all of that.
Speaker 2: I mean we sort of we sort of did it in recent memory, which is we essentially taught three hundred million Americans to do cybersecurity. Right. Like if you went back to nineteen ninety five and you talk to an average American and you're like, hey, in the future, you're, first of all, you're going to know what cybersecurity is, which you've probably never heard of, and you're going to be able to do it. And they would be like, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Like everyone using encrypted tech st apps and.
Speaker 2: Things like everybody today in America is taught to.
Speaker 3: Change their password.
Speaker 2: They're taught like children are taught like, hey, there could be a bad guy. There could be a hacker. You need to change your passwords so somebody doesn't like try to steal your computer data. Right there. We're taught at work and in school to not click on phishing emails. Right. We have taught our entire society to be somewhat resilient against cyber threats, right. I think we can do the same thing for espionage threats and information operation threats and teach them very basic skills starting in grade school in like an age appropriate way in grade school, but ultimately by high school and college and in work, like in a real way, here are some basic things you can do. Don't trust just any piece of information you see, right, You need to think about where it came from, what's the source, triangulate it with something like if it looks weird, it probably is weird, right Like, And hey, don't trust any piece of technology that you're given. Like we've been taught as a society to just trust technology because historically it's just been a consumer good that was made by another American. That's not the case anymore. Like apps and so forth come from people who don't have our best intentions at heart, right, and they're not just trying to make money, And so you need to start and look and say, Okay, I don't just simply trust technology. I think like an intelligence officer, I'm going to assess where it's from and what the threats might be and give it a second and those kinds of things they those are These are basic life skills that I do think can be taught at a literal level in grade school and in high school and at work and and so forth. But I don't even think they necessarily have to even be taught by the government. They can be you know, taught by families and you know, and and parents can teach their kids and and and so forth. Right like that, it's not rocket science, Like like you're your your you know, your trust me, your average case officer is not a rocket scientist. Like these are people who like you know, are just like good at talking and like taking people to dinner. Like this is this does not have to be you know, super super complicated, but like there's just a basic way to think. And it doesn't mean being paranoid all the time. Just means being basically cautious the way we are with crime. Right Like you you know, if you have if you have a child, you teach your child like from an early age, like, hey, we're in a bad neighborhood. Just be careful, hold my hand, don't leave stuff out in the car if it's parked overnight, you know, because if somebody might break in. Like we teach these things. I mean, we teach kids active shooter drills. Unfortunately, like they understand there are threats in the world. This is another threat and let's you know, go out and show people how to deal with this threat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I strongly agree with you that we need to do a lot more to invest in individual human beings and human capital and education and all these things. I think you're right about, you know, educating children specifically, because I really think anyone who's my age or older is in some ways already lost sadly, and I look at like, you know, you can log onto some social media and see people my parents' age freaking out about what is to me obvious AI slop. It's just somebody had AI generate a picture through it on Facebook, And now these people are sixty seventy years old losing their minds about it. And it's like, I see when I see that, I'm like, I'm not sure how you knows as a society, how we recover from sort of like our feet have come off the ground. You mentioned you mentioned Baudriard in your book, and you know how there was a time where, you know, maybe in the nineties when he was writing that stuff, it didn't seem totally real or relevant. But now here we are in twenty twenty five, and it really does feel like we're living in that world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is. Yeah. The good, good, good pick from the book and and like yeah, he was writing about how we'd all be in this simulacro like everything would be fake and there wouldn't be real anymore, and like the internet's sort of becoming like that, like where you know, the AI is just like feeding on itself almost and it is you know, that is an imaginable world or where like there's just doubt, right, like you're just not sure what the trust. But I'll tell you, what I really worry about is actually not those kind of call them big fake things, like obvious fake things. Like what I really worry about is when it's like really subtle, right, like when you just change and adjective that someone uses, or even like the tone of their voice, that subtly influences how somebody thinks about something, right, And it'd be so hard to spot that, right if you're just changing single words or tone, right, and and but doing that those subtle changes continuously and over time, like you're talking to an AI and it never says something blatant like Tiana mins Square never happened, the Weakers are free people, Like it never says anything like that. It just always gives you like a slightly skewed answer, right, like you know, like you know Tianamen Square. Instead of saying Tianaman Square was a terrible human rights abuse, it says Tianaman Square could have been done better, you know, something like that, right, like it, like it. It just makes these subtle change or even more subtle than that, right over time, and that influences people over time. And that's what like our generation I think is going to fall for, like our parents generation is falling for like the blatant, fake ones, but like I think we're going to fall for the subtle stuff where like you can't even see it and you're like, oh, this looks like a New York Times story or a Wall Street Journal story or a news back story, whatever your preferred like media outlet is, and you're like, and everything it adds on the site where I read it through chat GPT, but there's just subtle words changed. And that that's to me the scariest thing and probably where all this goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, it's it's hard or impossible for someone to spot a negative, right if TikTok just kind of sensors or deprioritizes any content about say Taiwan, you know, most people aren't going to realize that content just isn't there and that it isn't reaching them.
Speaker 3: There's not going to know.
Speaker 2: That's it. I mean, that is literally what's happening with TikTok right now where they do these studies. There's this group out of Ruckers that has done these it's called like a volume metric statistical study, and they show that on TikTok versus other social media sites like Instagram, there's less mention of Taneman Square, the weikers, or these human rights abuses for example. It's not that it's zero, right, it's plausibly deniable. They're like, you know, look you can see the weaker stuff here, just less. And then what they've shown these groups is that it's working because the longer they show this, the longer you are on TikTok, the more you use it, the more benevolent view of the human rights record of the Chinese Communist Party you will have. Right. And so it's like just these subtle things have an effect, and when you look at it across a generation like and millions of people, it has enough of effect. For example, that could lead to more of a not being elected who wanted to defend Taiwan in a war. And so over time, as there are more and more voters in this group and just enough of them have been skewed in this direction, America all of a sudden, China doesn't have to worry about is defending Taiwan because they have convinced an entire generation that we shouldn't defend it in the first place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, exactly.
Speaker 1: So the book The Fourth Intelligence Revolution, this is out today, right out today. People can go and find this wherever books are sold. Anthony, are there, like we covered a lot of ground in this interview. Are there any topics that you'd really like to talk about that we didn't get into.
Speaker 2: Well, just say one thing, like it can be sort of depressing to hear about all this a high and cognitive warfare and all of these things. And I sort of end the book on this, like, look, ultimately, at the end of the day, America is still the most powerful nation in the world. It's very clear on essentially every line. And now what I think we need to do is kind of keep it that way. And there's still room for people to come and serve and do that directly in government and become an intelligence officer. And by the way, you don't need to study you know, international relations and speak five languages anymore. Maybe you're a technologist or you have you have an MBA, and right like, we need MBAs because we're doing economic intelligence, right like, so there's still room to serve and help it. But even if you're outside of intelligence, like you're working at a tech company or something, you can still help that company. Like building these dual use technologies matters. It helps, like we need them. We need people who care about this stuff, and we also need people to just know what's going on in intelligence so that you can kind of be part of the system, maybe become like a citizen intelligence officer, like I said, to defend yourself and your family and your community, but also to know what our government's doing. Right. And like every time there's this intelligence revolution, there's been a backlash. We had the Church Commission, we had Edward Snowden, Like, inevitably intelligence will overstep the bounds. That just seems to be a truism unfortunately. But by paying attention, bye, by focusing on what's going on and like, you can help to ensure that it does the right things. We still need to transform, We still need to you know, touch the chalk line, and that's what intelligence does sometimes. But you know, you can play a role in elect the right people and make the right choices, and that's important. And so that's I was, you know, I hoped I sort of ended the book on that, and I think it's sort of the most important takeaway, Anthony.
Speaker 1: Where can people go to find you online if they're interested in connecting with you or you know that any of the companies that you're sitting on the boards of.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, you can hit me up. I have a website Anthony Vincey dot com and all my social sites are on there. I have a substack three kinds of Intelligence that I published, and I get into some of these types of issues and technology and national security. And you can hit me up on LinkedIn or on x and you know, would love love to hear from you, and and and you know, love to kind of help, you know, continue being part of the community and helping people learn about sbnage and what's going on.
Speaker 1: So again, the book is the Fourth Intelligence Revolution by our guest Anthony Vinci. The books available now. There will be links down the description for people listening to the podcast or watching this on the YouTube's to go and check it out. Anthony, thank you for joining us on a Friday evening and spending some of your time with us.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me. Appreciate it and everyone else.
Speaker 1: Will see you guys next time. Actually, we'll see you in twenty twenty six. Hey guys, I want to tell all of you today about a new newsletter that we're launching that encompasses both the Teamhouse podcast, the eyes On podcast, and the high Side News outlet, which I run with Sean Naylor. The newsletter is gonna be once a week. It's gonna come into your inbox and you're gonna get the most current podcasts on eyes On and the Teamhouse and whatever's topical or current on the high Side. So it's another way for us to get the information out to you as social media algorithms are pretty iffy and you never really.
Speaker 3: Know what you're gonna get. So this is a once a week email.
Speaker 1: It'll slide into your inbox and it will have you know the greatest hits of that week.
Speaker 3: It's really good checking it out.
Speaker 1: The website for it is Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com, slash Join Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com slash Join you go there and you enter into your email list, or you enter your email into the little thing on the website and you're good to go, and that'll be it. So really appreciate your support and hope you'll consider signing up the link. The link will also be down the description if you're looking for it there, and that's Teamhouse Podcast, dot kit k I, t Kilo India, Tango dot com, backslash joint S,