Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Former President Donald Trump and Vice President Harris scheduled to hold dueling rallies in Wisconsin today, specifically Milwaukee. They're converging on that battleground state of Wisconsin. Washington Post polling average shows Harris actually has a narrow lead there in Wisconsin. Harris also has other campaign stops in Wisconsin on Friday, and Trump has events in Michigan also, And we've been mentioning the job numbers came out today. Job creation in October slowed to its weakest pace since late twenty twenty. They said it's probably the impacts of storms and strikes that dented the employment picture. Bureau of Labor Statistics and non farm payrolls increased by just twelve thousand for the month, down sharply from September and well below the Dow Jones estimate of over one hundred thousand. Unemployment rate holds at four point one percent, which was just about right in line with xby xations.
Speaker 1: Great day in Los Angeles, the Dodgers are world champions. Downtown is packed to the gills with people. Civic Center just covered with Dodger fans, white and blue and happiness and glee and glee and glee. They've got the music pumping. They are ready for this parade. Dodger Stadium is packed already as well. The parking lots are filling up.
Speaker 3: And listen.
Speaker 2: Our own Blake trolley is down there in the melee in downtown Los Angele. Let's not say melee, because I don't want it to be How about the mill you they're in lost downtown Los Angeles, Blake, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Well, sitting in this crowd, you have to wonder if there any society left throughout?
Speaker 3: Why does it sound so quiet? Why don't I hear the people? Where are the people? Blake?
Speaker 4: You don't hear the people? I'm swell, They're all over my truck. I had to come into the news truck to do the hit to talk to you guys. It would be so loud to actually stand in that crowd. But I have talked to a few fans. You know what's interesting is so many people have shown up to this event since I've been here that there's now pretty much a nosebleed section for the for the parade itself. So a lot of the people who are showing up right now, I'm thinking you are showing up to stare at rows of the backs of people's heads, because you're probably not gonna, you know, get too good of a look at the at the parade itself. But I want to go to this audio. I talked to some fans who had gotten here early. These guys are right up on the line. They got up at four am and came out from Baldwin Park.
Speaker 5: I see what do you make when you see just the thousands of people already lined up here on First Street to celebrate the team we've to go. I just want to go ahead and say that k if I will be airing his comment with a we're gonna have to bleep it out, but we have no problem with that. But really, you know, there's so much to talk about this year. I mean, one of the main points been talking about with fans is the fact that this really does feel like the first win.
Speaker 3: In a long time.
Speaker 5: Even though that that twenty twenty win you know, happened, fans weren't able to celebrate like this.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, it's twenty twenty. You know everyone said it was a Mickey mouse wing. You know that's an axis war.
Speaker 6: You haven't had no excuses today, exactly everywhere.
Speaker 3: We want at home, we want at Yankees. So I se the excuse. Now we whoa cold right now? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, I want to point out I looked up the weather in Manhattan. It's seventy eight degrees. So I don't want any false reporting out on our station that it.
Speaker 3: Would be cold in New York?
Speaker 7: Is it.
Speaker 4: Because they're like they're cold? They're cold right now? So I checked seventy eight today in Manhattan. That's a list.
Speaker 1: When you start the day off with three or seventeen cores lights, you know.
Speaker 3: You uh, you want to imagine it's too cold in New York for any sort of celebration.
Speaker 4: Sen I sent a lot of breakfast peers out here. Yeah, I think there's quite a few breakfasters. But you know, the excitement is it's it's about to start up. I mean, this parade starts in less than an hour. Mare Bath is going to kick it off, and you know the team will ride on double decker buses forty five minutes through downtown LA. Then they're turning around going to Dodger Stadium, and it almost feels, you know, it was interesting. And during the press conference yesterday they talked about the fact that government buildings would be open, and that a lot of the you know, businesses and services down here would be open. It's hard to imagine there's anything else actually going on in town when you look around at the scene here, there are just Dodger fans everywhere they are. They are lining the streets, and like I said, that the parade route is going to be going around, at least for where I'm sitting at at first in Spring Street here, the parade route's going to be going by a group of people that's probably go sixty seventy maybe in some cases a one hundred feet back, just trying to watch this team parade through. And I think part of that really is the excitement, you know, the fact that in twenty twenty, these fans weren't given the opportunity to have the sort of celebration.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, the helicopter shots we've seen from local TV make it seem like this is I mean, it's one of the larger gatherings that I've ever seen in La Whether it's a protest or a parade.
Speaker 3: Of any kind.
Speaker 2: So all right, we'll check back in with you, Blake, Thank you appreciate.
Speaker 4: It, all right, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the I mean all hands on deck kind of attitude that lapd la KUINNT of Sheriff's Department, the CHP they've all got because of that number sheer number of people downtown, not that anything dangerous, is not inherently dangerous that there's that many people, but it doesn't take much for it to become a potential problem.
Speaker 3: So let's hope everything goes well.
Speaker 7: Do you want kids to get nived at school? I'm not listening to kfimployed by you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was your suggestion.
Speaker 7: Faarn immediately for advocating setting fire to buses. That is absolutely not called for. I will not listen to any more KFI for as long as she is employed by your company.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was a really good callback.
Speaker 2: There is a takedown of the Riverside County jail system in the New York Times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were nineteen detainees that died at Riverside County jails in twenty twenty two. That total is the highest of the department had reported in at least three decades.
Speaker 2: There's an underlying theme in this very lengthy article. They reprinted it in the La Times as well, and you can check it out. Of the nineteen detainees who died in twenty twenty two, it was the highest, like you said, that they've been in three decades, and a lot of them attributed to homicide, overdose, natural causes and suicide. And they take issue with specific with the suicides, at least in the first part of this article, because the sort of the insinuation is that the Sheriff's Department and those that are working the jails haven't done anything to protect these people from killing themselves. When you set your mind to it, sometimes there's not much that anybody else can do.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 1: Guards did not always enforce rules prohibiting detainees with mental illnesses from blocking cell windows and cameras, which hinders the required safety monitoring. The department has often isolated detainees with severe mental illness, which can obviously exacerbate suicidal intentions.
Speaker 2: Alicia Upton was a nineteen year old. She was a young detainee and she eventually killed herself. She hanged herself as the thread she hanged herself with a bed sheet in jail. When interviewed, her mom's mom said she recalled believing that she was going on a fleeting adventure before settling back home. This is in West Virginia. She was resolute, she had fixed her mind on something from a young age. She was an animal lover. They tried to, you know, personalize this young woman and had shown no signs of mental health problems when she left home, gone to counseling years earlier after the suicide of a close friend. But mom said she was pretty confident that her daughter was very resilient. And then after what turned out to be a misdemeanor after struggling with drugs, she ends up in.
Speaker 3: In jail after trespassing. She has shown up homeless.
Speaker 2: She was trespassing in San Ja Cinto and ended up in this Riverside County jail. But the mom seems to believe that it's the sheriff's department's responsibility for treatment in these cases. And it feels like we as a state, as a county, even are piling onto our law enforcement officers too many times. It's the requirement for mental health adjudication, diagnoses and then treatment and practice like that's not what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: That's not what they sign up for, and it's too much and they're not trained to deal with that. In many cases, that's why you have nine to one one calls in some jurisdictions being triaged in terms of do we send law enforcement or do we send a mental health expert? And you have to do the same thing in the jails, I would assume as well, Yeah, and stop. It's the pressure should not be on the law enforcement officers. Yes, there's sometimes the front line. They are the ones that are closest to those people who might be in mental distress, like this young woman, But they're not the ones that should be responsible for that. You then have to put pressure on your local politicians, or your local hospitals, or your health insurance company something like that. Those are the more capable of dealing with these mental distress is that exists too many times?
Speaker 3: That's depressing.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about something happy, like the squirrel? We could do that. That's a cute name for a squirrel, isn't it. Peanut? Yeah, it's cute.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't know what else you probably name it like Frank or something. No, not a squirrel, No, Stephen Steven.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dodgers, the World Champs just you can listen to coverage of the championship celebration on A five to seventy LA Sports and the NHD on the iHeart Radio app used that keyword. AM five to seventy LA Sports presented in part by Budweiser because this.
Speaker 3: Buds for you. Do you want your Jeopardy question? I'd love it. It's been a while Tales of Horror for twelve hundred dollars doing that, but we turned the page. This is the last day. Probably horror is.
Speaker 1: In the title of this book, in which the Lutz family learned that sometimes buying a murder home isn't worth it.
Speaker 3: Ah the oh Amityville Horror, very good, ding ding ding. I guess I have to say, what is Amityville horror?
Speaker 8: I've been in prisons in over twenty different countries, from Central America to South America, to Africa to India.
Speaker 3: What did you do?
Speaker 8: The European area and the United States, and our jails are cushy, and that's why people go there and stay there and want to go back. You go to a jail in another country. You don't want to be there. You don't get food or clothing, and it's terrible. And so there's not a lot of repeat offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of time in a lot of places. If you're going to eat when you're in jail, it's because your family's bringing you food.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Are we going to gloss over that he's been in that many.
Speaker 2: Well, he didn't say that he was put there through the law enforcement or through the judicial system.
Speaker 3: He was I want to know what in prisons.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, though, there was a South Florida bank robber who did not plead for leniency last week winning was sentenced.
Speaker 3: His guy is Terry Meach. He said, I like to be in prison.
Speaker 2: Please could you consider giving me the max or the most time so that I could get back to my normal life in a controlled environment. And last week that the district court judge gave him all he wanted, twenty years in federal prison, the maximum for one count of bank robbery.
Speaker 1: Downtown LA covered with Dodger fans, the stadium parking lot already filling up for the event. Later today, at twelve fifteen, when the team has made its way through the parade, route and into Chavez Ravine. There is a lot of people there, thousands and thousands.
Speaker 3: Of people because they never got to celebrate.
Speaker 1: The twenty twenty World Series either, so there's pent up excitement. Corbin Carson is there and joins us now from the parade route.
Speaker 3: Corbin, what's happening.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Shannon, Thank you Gary. These people do not want to be in jail. They do not want to controlled environment. The excitement out here is palpable. The joy is true. It's a true party. I'm at the end of the parade at Fifth and Flower. We're fans of Line the Streets. I'm telling me. They got here early as five to get a front row seat, their lawn, lawn chairs, tens. They got these banners. Last time I talked to you, guys, I told you about this guy who set up a full bar at Fifth and Grant, So I had to talk to him and ask him what he's trying to pull off?
Speaker 7: Everyone?
Speaker 3: Can I ask you what you got here?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, man, it's g money.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, the best that ever did it. And hope I can get away with it. Man, You know what I'm saying, and I appreciate this man, I love la. What are you offering right here? I'm offering happy hour drinks right now. Yeah, this happy hour right now at eight thirty in the morning. Give me an idea of what you're offering. Give me, give me what are the selections? Conyac, tequila, vodka and whiskey. Kays offer ten to twenty bucks top Shells. Come on down. I mean, you can't beat it.
Speaker 9: It's early, late in the morning, and these people are getting as happy as possible. You also have been. I've also been asking fans about their favorite moaning moment and if you were just listening to the news, this lady who said she was super overjoyed. She talked about her favorite player of the series, Freddy Freeman, obviously leading my unofficial poll, but here she is talking about her favorite moment, Judge.
Speaker 6: Judge misses the catch and I'm like, okay, what's going on there? And then didn't cover first yes, and then the third base.
Speaker 8: Wasn't wasn't covered.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, because I was ready to.
Speaker 6: Get up and leave because I thought, you know, mookieve out. And then I stopped and I.
Speaker 3: Looked and I said, what just happened? Totally?
Speaker 6: And then it kept going, and it kept going, and we were tied five to five, and I had another drink.
Speaker 3: Rade me for you guys.
Speaker 9: Here's what it means.
Speaker 6: It's a little bit like a redemption because people talked crap about us winning in twenty twenty, saying that it wasn't a real series and we didn't play as many games and la da da da. Well they can't say anything now because we won say series, play all these games a lot more than the twenties winning games.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So there you have you, guys.
Speaker 9: I'm out here. We're waiting for the parade to start in about twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: That's at City Hall.
Speaker 9: It'll run for about forty five minutes and it'll end right here at Fifth and Flowers.
Speaker 2: Well, I have it on good authority that most of the double decker buses that will be carrying the team members have been filled, so they are about to start. They are getting ready to get it looks like they will start on time.
Speaker 1: Carbon Carson, a man who surrounds himself with strong, intelligent women, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Guysurb Carson there at the end of the parade rounde.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. I think you should check the carbon monoxide detectors in your office. Seriously, it keeps stroking out every day, not every day, just Wednesdays and Friday morning.
Speaker 10: Gary and Channon, I'm all in about this handle of ending Tomulus granddaughter story. But on a sider side note about this whole candy thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, candy Amnesty day.
Speaker 10: I'm the Stone and I totally forgot.
Speaker 3: It's not a stroke. Oh my goodness. Well, Peanut is the name of a squirrel.
Speaker 2: Oh, Peanut was taken away, Peanut and Fred the raccoon. Multiple anonymous complaints about Peanut spelled p apostrophe nut brought at least six officers from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to Mark Longo's home near the Pennsylvania border in rural Pine City this week. Mark said, the DEEC came to my house and raided my house without a search warrant to find a squirrel. I was treated as if I was a drug dealer and they were going for drugs and guns.
Speaker 1: This is a squirrel who amassed hundreds of thousands of followers on Instagram, TikTok, and other platforms during his seven years with this guy.
Speaker 3: How long does squirrels last. That's a good question. I would imagine that they are.
Speaker 1: That's about squirrel life expectancy. The average lifespan of a gray squirrel is six years, but they can live up to twelve years in the wild and twenty years in captivity.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's incredible. If he's being taken care of, you can have a squirrel longer than a dog. We could assume that the peanut is being taken care of. Longo runs an animal refuge inspired by his squirrel buddy, called called Peanuts Freedom Farm Animal Sanctuary.
Speaker 1: They said, well, Internet, you one. You took one of the most amazing animals away from me because of your selfishness.
Speaker 3: There's a special place in hell for you.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, he said, he doesn't even know if Peanut is alive, and he's afraid that the dec euthanized him. The DEEC has not responded to a question from the reporter at NBC about whether not Peanut was you.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't take away Peanut just to kill him. Do you know the origin story? This guy says he saw Peanut's mother get hit by a car in New York City seven years ago.
Speaker 3: Was it his car?
Speaker 1: Leaving the tiny squirrel an orphan, so he brought Peanut home and cared for him for eight months before trying to release Peanut into the great outdoors. But a day and a half later, he found Peanuts sitting on the porch missing half of his tail, with his bones sticking out.
Speaker 3: Which bone I do not know. It just says his bone, his bone. How many bones does squirrels have?
Speaker 2: Well, he's got bones in his tail or had. Soon after, Longo posted videos of Peanut playing with his cat, and that immediately went viral Instagram.
Speaker 1: Fame followed that I think that, well, the squirrel typically has seventy eight bones, but I'm assuming it's the bone.
Speaker 3: From his tail bone just not just one.
Speaker 1: Well, it is just the one, I mean bone. I'm not going to have this fight with you. You go ahead, I Am not going to have this fight with you.
Speaker 3: How many bones are in a tail? Squirrel? Squirrel? Tail? Done?
Speaker 6: Not going to do it? What?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 1: So how do we find out if he is still with us?
Speaker 3: They they they're just they're.
Speaker 2: Going to have to call the Department of Environmental Conservation for the State of New York.
Speaker 3: Why would they take it away? Just why would they euthanize it?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 2: Unless they found that the peanut was very, very sick. They wouldn't do that, right.
Speaker 1: I got to say, in this picture of Peanut in his little cowboy hat.
Speaker 3: He doesn't look well. How would you decide if a squirrel looked well?
Speaker 1: Well, we see the live and well squirrel downstairs all the time.
Speaker 3: Kind of squirrel is it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What kind?
Speaker 3: Huh huh? I'm trying to find out what kind of squirrel it is. Don't forget this. Because there's a ground squirrel.
Speaker 1: There's a red squirrel, there's a gray squirrel. There's a fox squirrel. I believe that's a ground squirrel. The ones out here, I believe are gray squirrels. Okay, if this is a ground squirrel, then their average live span is three to four years in the wild, but six years in captivity.
Speaker 3: So Peanut may have he's living knocking on on, he's knocking on Heaven's door. We're just about to get the uh. Is that Dodger Stadium? Yes? Oh that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So the buses are leaving Dodger Stadium right with the players, et cetera on board, they'll make their way downtown.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect place because they come back.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask that it seems that there would be a logistical issue if they were just going to park their cars.
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman's wife's just dropping them off. Yeah, I'll see you later, honey. I'm gonna stop by this store on the way. And a quick clarification.
Speaker 8: I've been in prisons in over twenty different countries, from Central America to South America, to Africa, to India, the European area and the United States, and.
Speaker 2: We wanted to know how in the world do you get into jail thrown into jail in all those places, not thrown in went involuntarily.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, this is Rayke Agana is the one who's been in all those prisons. The reason why is because I'm a evangelist, a minister, and I travel all over the world showing God's power of saying. But I speak in a lot of prisons to bring hope, and we always bring food and clothing in as well for people. But that's why I've been in so many prisons. You can see me at TJMI dot net Talkative No.
Speaker 1: Thank you, appreciate what is it? I think we need an evangelist prisons.
Speaker 8: You can see me at TJMI dot net talka to lative pain d g M I, t m I.
Speaker 1: T j m I c j m I dot dot net. Because we could bring in somebody to spread the word.
Speaker 3: Cleanse this place, cleanse this half. Yeah there is Rick. Would you do this? Would you do this? This app for the things for friends for later in life?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I I have a lot of friends I've attained through childhood.
Speaker 3: Well, I just have a lot of friends from from like high school and stuff. I have zero friends from high school. I mean it is because I moved, But I mean, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Everybody moves, right, do they like my friends in high school?
Speaker 3: From high school or all over the place like this, all over the place? You don't have anyone you still talk to. I have a couple of people on Facebook, but it's not like they live around. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't hang out with anybody. How's that from that I new in high school? None of mine live here? None of mine live here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you still see them, right because I travel to go see them.
Speaker 2: Rarely have I ever seen any of them? My sisters both have some friends.
Speaker 3: It's probably more of a female thing. Is that what it is? Because we pick up the phone. You know what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we pick up the phone and we call each other regularly and check in and we talk and we gab and we gossip.
Speaker 3: Walk walk walk walk.
Speaker 1: And you don't you're not a big uh. You're not a big talker.
Speaker 3: Huh. I don't see you picking up the phone to just chat with people. No?
Speaker 2: No, is that why when I call you always ask what's wrong?
Speaker 3: You don't. I don't think you call You've ever called? I have? Okay, Well, that's okay.
Speaker 2: When when my dad died? Yeah, and when when my mom died before that? Right, I'm sure there's other times I've called.
Speaker 1: But it is very hard to make friends as an adult. And so there was an app that is seeking to fill that void. It's called Time Left, and this was in the Philadelphia Inquirer. They say Time Left is becoming the go to for a growing number of people in Philly that they want to build a community. This it's a desire to build community without the pressure of dating.
Speaker 3: But when asked, they match.
Speaker 1: Folks who sign up for dinner and drinks every Wednesday at various restaurants in the city based on a short questionnaire. The app asks questions like this, what is your ideal night and what is your zodiac sign? No to match five or six strangers for dinner based on their responses. That's very big right now with the kids is what you're knowing the rising sign and the moon's sign and the.
Speaker 3: Whole thing, and who's in retrogal like.
Speaker 1: This comes This is like a mom jeans or kitten heels, a fashion trend or a cultural trend that surfaces or resurfaces every fifteen or so years.
Speaker 3: But why astrology?
Speaker 2: I get uh h. I shouldn't say I will not pooh poo this.
Speaker 1: I'll say yeah, because you know what, it's people face to face.
Speaker 3: That's why I like it. I mean they do. That's good for us as humans.
Speaker 2: They said it's a way to meet people organically.
Speaker 3: It's kind of not.
Speaker 2: I mean, you start with something that's very inorganic in the app but it is a way to at least force yourself into what would become an organic relationship with somebody.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, Jacob, why did you bring me the Jesus doll?
Speaker 2: Because pastor Rick oh okay got it seal of approval.
Speaker 1: It looks like would you stop playing with his Well, I'm not sure how it's supposed to go. It's just a tunic like this. Yeah, but then what if he needs to use his hand?
Speaker 2: He does, I'm sure he could lift it himself.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio lap