Speaker 1: Hot Water History, Episode two, seventeen Wednesday night, Richard, What's going on?
Speaker 2: I had a boomer walked by the house as that I was outside, and he was among the now several individuals who have felt bold enough to ask me are you Iranian? Because, as you know in our audience members who are faithful to the podcast know I have been flying the Iranian flag for several weeks now outside my home, and an individual, along with others in the past today just this evening, asked me are you Iranian? To which I responded. I was a little bit taken off guard because I didn't know what he was going to say. You know when you have those very quick passing moments when you don't know the person, You don't know if they're going to speak with you or what have you. But over the fence he said again, are you Uranian? I said no, but I really do side with winners, and he looked at me a bit strange, and then he look he chuckled a bit, so I thought that for a moment he was going to be a bit more amenable to what I might have to further say about why I'm flying the flag. He didn't ask me as to what the purpose was or the message. But he did say, boy, I wish that country would be able to free itself from those horrible clerics, to which all I could say, And maybe I don't know if this was entirely charitable, but I thought it was witty because it's true, and I hope he picked up on my sarcasm. But I said, well, I wish we could free ourselves from ourselves from our clerics, and I kind of wink winked and made it. Obviously I was speaking about the rabbinical clerics that run the country, but that might be lost on the on the boomer but he could just kept walking.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: So that was my exchange. I had to chuckle about it later, So I hope I wasn't uncharitable. How often does that happen? Once or twice a week the flag? Yeah, yeah, sure, Or I'll get a text from someone in the neighborhood or in the general area who's who's gone by the house or driven by the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got an awesome episode today.
Speaker 3: I'm dare I say pumped?
Speaker 2: You dared to say it?
Speaker 1: Our fourth Dark Notes episode, and this one I think I have the most amamo. Actually I know you took a bunch of notes. But we're gonna be talking about in breaking down Monopoly and the game that's always used as the example for see what happens when you don't have enough regulation. One person just takes everybody's money. Sure, dogg eat dog capitalism. The object of the game is to ruin everyone else, because that's what capitalism is about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, one one rich guy and we're all poor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one rich guy that looks like mister Peanut is the winner and the symbol for the game, and you're supposed to emulate that guy with his top hat and cane, who obviously resembles And it was patterned after JP Morgan.
Speaker 1: So before we get into it, why why do you want to talk about Monopoly? Is there anything that's specific that is an inspiration to you on why you want to talk about it?
Speaker 2: The inspiration came from someone an intellectual who posts a lot on in long form tweets on x or Twitter. I have to follow a number of French accounts because the French are extraordinarily interesting and I can read what they're saying and understanding what they're trying to convey. And it was AUGUSTE. Brudel or someone along those line. Baduek Or. I can't remember his last name, but his first name was August, and I've been following him, and he had this exposition of sorts about monopoly being from what I could gather and determine, he's of the more socialistic anarchist side, and so he railed against the corporatism involved with the development and history of the game. And what I was what piqued my interest was, more so, what were the origins of the game, what was it intended to convey? And more so, are there any subliminal, if not less than subliminal messaging that would lead us to become even more indoctrinated even in the parlors of American homes and after generation after generation, that this anti capitalist mentality might be conveyed and communicated in a board game, of all things. There's no safe room.
Speaker 3: In other words, right, do you want to go through your notes? Director? Did you have somewhere else you want to start?
Speaker 2: Oh, we could start with the notes. I'll try to spin a yarn here that and what I mean by spinning yarn does not give you any kind of fallacious or fictitious interpretation of past events, but just kind of what's on the historical record for the purpose of people who might want to follow along and can read my chicken scratch cursive. I just scanned all my notes and then put it in a blog post on the website, so you can feel free to dag along if you should be listening to the episode on the origins of Monopoly, it was not created, despite Hasbro and Parker Brothers, the owning company's story and narrative by Charles Darrow, at least originally speaking now, one could argue that Darrow was the original innovator and deserved all the eventual royalties that he received because his game departed significantly from the true originator. Originator's game, and that was Elizabeth or Lizzie, Maggie or Maggie who that was her maiden name. She was Nay Maggie and Phillips. This poor guy is we're going to turn come to know, was pretty lucky to have left this mortal coil early. Once we get to know his or know more about his wife, she's a real piece, Okay. So Elizabeth Maggie created the first version of what we would eventually call Monopoly, and she named it the landlord's game. That sounds fantastic. I can't wait to play the landlord's game. In nineteen oh three, she was a progressive feminist, and she was a Georgist aka follower of Henry George. And let me just speak for a moment about what it meant to be a Georgist at the end of the nineteenth into the early twentieth century in the progressive era. Now, George was supposedly an advocate for the poor, but in his career and in his i suppose what you might otherwise call his intellectual works, he reinforced state legitimacy by arguing for single tax ideas. So the Georges were really great in terms of their theories that often can be seen as very consistent with something like Rothbardian homesteading theory and what constitutes personal property and rightly gained property. So they were very much into utilization, proper utilization of the land so as to accrue property that would be your own. But where they depart from roth Bardian theory on property is just how you're able to utilize land, and then if you're able to, should you gain wealth or largest from it dispose of it? In whatever fashion you so desire, this is where they depart. Now. It just so happened, serendipity being what it is, that as I'm reading the Great Manifesto, the Libertary Manifesto by Rothbart for a New Liberty, he spoke of the Georges, and then I had to do the research. So this was almost simultaneous. As I'm reading through the book and Rothbart addresses the Georgios, sure enough, Henry George pops up in the life of Elizabeth Maggie, the original creator of what we would know as monopoly. The Georges claim that while individuals have a right to property, as I said, they do not have a right to the land. Now that might strike us as a bit odd. In other words, people cannot own real estate as we would understand owning real estate today. Since quote nature or God created the land itself, no individual has the right to assume ownership of that land. And that's Rothbard's explanation of Georgism. Again, since nature or God created the land itself, no individual has a right to assume ownership of the land. In the George's conception, then it would almost be much more appropriate to However, many billion people exist in the land or in the land, that everyone has a right to that billionth of a parcel of arable or even just available land. The single tax idea was the notion that what was an epiphany for George in the late eighteen sixties was that he saw the at the time wild fluctuations in land values, especially stemming from panics like in eighteen fifty four and then in the aftermath of the Civil War, the panic of eighteen seventy two and the like. So what he did was he theorized that the fairest tax idea, as it pertains to the general populace in any state, but especially in America or the United States, was to tax land in proportion to its increase in value. So, in other words, tax equity in real estate, which George then maintained would lead to the end of all land property rights entirely. This is very much akin to I write the notes. It reminds me of John Marshall's theory about the power to tax the power to destroy, as he articulated in McCulloch versus Maryland. So you see this progressivism redounding through the ages that civil law should intervene so as to create taxation codes that would bring about non ownership or in a sense, communal use of property in this case land for George. He thought that was much more equitable and fair. Now, all that being the case, it's clear that when Maggie, that is, say Elizabeth Maggie made the original game, The Landlord's Game, it's chocked full of references to Georgism.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: In fact, it was supposed to be an educational she designed this game. Think about how much fund and how exciting this. I just don't understand how people found this game to be exhilarating to play, because its entire objective, or the objective behind it, was to create an educational critique of land monopolies, of renter capitalism, and of general inequality. That imagine trying to advertise selling this game, right, Oh, play The Landlord's Game, where we're going to talk about Georgism and how land should be more equitably shared and that rentcher capitalism and general inequality might be resolved.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It struck me at that time, when I was doing research for this, that if William Jennings Bryan had built a board game this would be it would it be called like the or would they have a property on it called like the Cross of Gold Boulevard, something along those lines, just because he was so opposed to all of the frankly free market capitalistic conditions that had built up and created such wealth within the Gilded Age. So whether it was bimetallism, which to be sure, George's like Maggie would be in favor of, or any of the different from her point of view, progressive ideas that should be inculcated in any American adults, in American youth as well. Question, So far, Charlie, when intervene or no?
Speaker 3: This is good?
Speaker 2: Okay, So Maggie's game plan, let's talk about that. The game plan had originally a board with properties as well as wages for labor. Get this labor on Mother Earth. So we're already getting into near eco worship with the Monopoly game. And as I was reading and looking at perusing and you can do you want to show her original board from the nineteen oh three nineteen oh four patent. There it is. Boy, can't wait to dive into that one. Huh.
Speaker 3: So one dollar for rent must be.
Speaker 2: Ten dollars for sale, luxury fifty dollars, railroads cost you five and we'll be getting into how the essential parts of the monopoly i e. Landlord aka Landlord's Game were carried on. And it's the essential parts that are most problematic, especially for those of us who argue for free freedom, human freedom, agency, free markets, and other civil liberties, okay, or basic rights that should be enjoyed by the individual, meaning the image of God. So when I'm reading all these things, so for example, you could see at the in the top right corner, and obviously for those just listening to audio this is you're gonna have to rely upon our description. Here the gohot spot or the beginning is labor upon m is labeled labor upon mother Earth produces wages, and there's a kind of outline of a globe in circular fashion, and that's where you begin. This reminded me, this weird New agey progressive reverence for mother Earth and the like. It strikes me that Maggie was Maggie was probably very much like if you were to meet her, those early feminist suffragette types and that crowd who happened to be also into sorcery, the Elizabeth Katie Stanton's the Julia Ward Howse of the reform movements of previous decades. The whole game strikes me as a weird, calvinistic reprimand of people who wanted to engage in ambition and entrepreneurship and enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Speaker 1: Damn them, right, So she's Greta Thunberg nineteenth century.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although I do not think both the Georgists nor Maggie would have castigated Woodrow Wilson for trying to spread progressive ideas through imperialism. There's not much of that there. Although you know, as we know, by the time of World War One, or even before that, at the time in which Maggie was developing the game, you know, it's just this is just the dawning of American overseas imperialism, the Spanish American War. So I don't know what Georgia. And we do know, for example, that many of the historical progressives of that time, example Sam of Gompers, the labor leader, was adamantly against American imperialists. And now they had their own reasons for that. Gompers didn't want a flood of illegal immigrants coming and just diluting the labor pool and driving wages lower and there was a strange group of bedfellows that were in the anti imperial league, but they were on the right side, even if their motives were flowed. So it should be noted that this is kind of weird when I discovered it that Maggie's game eventually are actually in The original had two sets of rules. You could essentially play two different games. The first set of rules applied to the monopolists, so if you wanted to be a monopolist, you could play what's called the competitive version. However, if you wanted to be a Georgist and moral, you could play what's called the prosperity version. And it is a bit iron that the prosperity didn't version never really would in the real world, amount to any creation of real prosperity. But it was also ironic in that this was the anti monopolist cooperative version, and it's this one that the free market rejected, So eventually this one just went by the wayside, right. Maggie stated in her own writings that the intent of the game was to teach against what she called land grabbing, so ownership of land entered the scene. Charles brace Daro, So I should note that she filed for a patent of the game. It started to be played in Quaker left leaning university circles. Students love playing this game and in Quaker areas, especially in communities around southern and southeastern Pennsylvania. And of all things, I didn't know that there was a sizeable Quaker community in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Quite the anomaly there and a fish out of water, But there there was, and in fact the eventual the eventual, and she was actually from Maryland. So it was also played by people in and around northern Virginia that area. So you could see a little bit why it would be popular for progressives who were working within or around on the margins of the national government. You see advocating for labor and the immense growth of government agencies that had never been extant before were coming to fruition in the wood in the Wilson and Progressive era, even under Roosevelt Taft Okay So enter the scene. By the nineteen thirties in the Depression, Charles Bright Brace Darrow So Darrow learned a version of the game when he was visiting friends during the Great Depression. He had been out of work. He was a World War One vet. Interestingly enough, he had fought in France. He was a heater salesman and a heating and steam engineer. He lost a job early in the depression, as I had stated, and supported his family with odd jobs, including eventually adapting Maggie's game. He added different elements that I would deem it as so essential that while there were some aspects of Maggie's game that carried over, what Darrow's game was the pure monopolist competitive version, which people seem to like a lot more than the prosperity i e. Cooperative version that Maggie had created. And he added familiar elements that we would know today, the color coding, the wooden houses and hotels and other property names. So in the this came from the whether it's Marvin gardens or boardwalk or park place, this comes from the Philadelphia and Atlantic City area. He filed for a copyright of the game. By the way, he he and his wife made hand like, handmade versions of the game, and we could bring up we don't have to watch look at this terrible board that was a Maggie's original board from the Landlords game. There's a monopoly board that we're with which we're all familiar. That's different. No, no, no, go back. That's anti monopoly. That's something different. Okay, So this is the Monopoly board. This is, by the way, the Monopoly board as it appeared in nineteen thirty five. That's a thirty five version of the Monopoly game. He copyrighted, filed for a copyright in nineteen thirty three, the patent in nineteen thirty five, and eventually he sold it to the Parker Brothers Game Company for seven thousand dollars and royalties in nineteen thirty five, after he had attained the patent. Now a bit of analysis here, then, this is my own Even in the middle of the depression, players preferred the entrepreneurial and competitive aspects of the Darrow reversion or revision excuse me, but the game still reinforces, and this is what we're going to spend most of the time or with the episode today. The game still reinforces a decidedly anti capitalist mentality. What's amazing, I think is that, yes, first of all, the agency of Jarrow to take up this game and then modify it, making it what he thought was much more free market oriented and competitive, with the goal of essentially bankrupting all of your competitors and winning the game. But the holdover rules as well as some of the even novel ideas that were guidelines and rules for the game. We're not talking about the attendant sort of house rules that some people made up, but the actual rules that Darrow played the game and as he designed the game are still incredibly anti capitalistic, as we're going to see, whether it's in the gameplay, the chance cards, or just how how different ventures in the game are financed for example. All Right, so much of the gameplay from the original was left intact, so unlike what was popular, apparently at the turn of the century was to have board games that were linear. One of the Maggi's. One of Maggie's innovative features with You was that you went around a board. Interesting to note that the first board games weren't even board games. They were created on oil cloth, so you folded up the cloth and then carried it around. So Darrow's Darrow creates the board by the nineteen thirties. Okay, so a trip around the board merited each player just wages. Now that is essentially a carryover from Maggie's game. A trip around the board was to symbolize essentially a year of labor, and that labor you had to traverse the board and essentially survive all of the pitfalls that come from just and this is what's key going onto the areas where property is held. I'm gonna get to that a little bit more because this is a bit of a nuanced and I don't want to make it too so esoteric or anything like that. But there's something that always bothered me even as a kid playing Monopoly, and that is what does it mean to land on a place? What does it mean to have landed on both Avenue or Saint Charles Place. So we'll get to that in a moment. Okay, So sales prices and rent costs were assigned to each square, as you know and playing the game right, and these were mental reinforced that rent transactions are always involuntary railroads too, So this is where I'm getting to the problem of what it means to land on a place. To land on a place is not only mandatory you have to go to a place in the game, but there's no voluntary exchange or negotiation. That is to say, the rent transactions are mandatory they're involuntary. There's no exchange, there's no trade off if you will, and there's certainly no negotiation. There were, as in Maggie's version, no trust passing and go to jail squares and now eventually what Because Darrow thought that the no trust passing was a little bit to socialistic, just because it reinforced that this is property and that you're going to jail because you were truspassing just by being in a place, he removed the no trustpassing part, but he did keep the the go to jail square all right. Also in Maggie's version there was a square called the poorhouse. Uh. And again Darrel thought this was a little bit too facistic. I don't know what you would call it authoritarian, so he just put it as free parking. That was what it was changed.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: In the game, possessions are acquired mainly through luck. That's the other thing. It's not as though you answer questions in trivia or you do some sort of cranium like to cite another board game challenge by which you earn points. There's no competition vis v or as. There's no competition per se. You're you're essentially delegated. You win the game according to what we might call luck, and there's not too much strategy behind it. And this means that there's no consumer choice, as I mentioned earlier, nor consumer sovereignty, and this is replaced all by the roll of the dice. Landing on a property creates only loss that's interesting, but no mutual gain. And I want to talk to now about how that puzzled me as a kid. So even the first time I played in Monopoly, I couldn't ascertain for myself what does it mean to land on a place? Is that problem? Why would that be problematic? Boardwalk sounds like a nice place, you see.
Speaker 3: I can imagine you planning for the first time as a little kid.
Speaker 2: Right, But it just was entirely outside of my purview of how life was lived. And it's not as though, as I've grown into adult into adulthood that that question still doesn't or that that question is resolved. It's totally unresolved. So case in point, even if I go to just by chance, I drive down twenty sixth Street in Chicago and I get a flat tire at twenty sixth in California, that doesn't mean I go to jail just by the luck of being approximate to that place and being in a sense stuck there. Sure, so why should that because in other words, I haven't engaged in any type of infraction, nor in the sense of a game, have I gotten a question wrong so I go back to the start of the game, or there's some competitive disadvantage that is forced upon me. It's just purely you roll the dice. There's a cost because you occupy a space that is owned by someone else. So it's always that your presence is like an assault on private property. And this is the that you could so you could see the George's conceptualization here. Everyone else is the thread to your property. If you just allow for ownership of land, do you see? And so that justifies why because you're not doing anything with your land, as George says, And if it accruise in value or goes up and just simply goes up in value and increases, and you don't deserve that windfall of value once you go to sell the land. You see, you didn't do it. God made that, So why are you benefiting from it? It's an odd conception anyway, The so called monopolies, those are the color coded areas are very easily obtained. This is interesting to note, whereas in the real world monopolies only form in the market due to utter market superiority, customers prefer it. Now, of course we're talking about and I did think about the libertarian litmus test, because we have a question about this, namely, if you in the free market, completely free market operative, without governmental interference or externalities that would suppress its true operation and function, a monopoly only forms thanks to comparative advantage, or what I might go so far as I say, is competitive superiority. It's not eternal, it's only it's totally conditional upon continuing to offer a good or service at maximum value to the consumer. And this is where I hope that the muses quote that I'm going to read from Human Action at the end of this analysis will encapsulate why monopoly is such a perfidious game. But think about that just for a moment, namely that again, monopoly is seen as such a terrible it's the name of the game, but it's kind of like the board games Sorry, or any other board game that has a dark, an ominous name. In a way. The goal is to the objective of the game, at least this game, this version of the game, is to create as many monopolies as possible. But you don't do that by anything other than landing on a space and having the monopoly capital to purchase properties. Correct, Right, it's not. You don't have to do anything special like answer a trivia question.
Speaker 3: I'm trying.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm kind of stuck on the trivia question. I don't know what other means are there are there to kind of prove your metal outside of a or or do something creative, right, I'm thinking of really fun games, board games that I've played, Like have you ever played Boulderdash or Beyond Balderdash. No, it's a great game where you have to make up fake definitions of words or plots to movies, and then you all submit that, and the real plot of the movie or the real definition of the word, or the significance of a date for example, they're all gathered together with the real one, and then you have someone read and then everyone else picks what they think is the real one. But and you get points if you fool people see that there's a talent there. There's a creativity test yep, yeah, or knowledge test so anyway, so you don't have to do anything. The chance in community chess cards are better representatives of centralized regulatory and a larcenist state, or the activities of the centralized regulatory and larceness states. So you can when's last time you played Monopoly, Charlie.
Speaker 3: It's been a while.
Speaker 2: It's been years for me. But a lot of the community chest and chance cards. It's interesting that he calls it. He called it community chest as if by involuntary and course of action. For example, you have to pay fifteen dollars for your aunt to have surgery or something like that was a community chess card, or that's chance. But I'm thinking of oh, you had to pay a new park goes up in the in the area, you have to pay ten dollars tax. It's always this arbitrary thing that's taken from you but benefits the greater community. That's community chest, that's supposed to and those are gold cards. You're supposed to be happy about that. Now, sometimes you get a windfall like that. I remember a community chance card that says, like, oh, irs screws up on your taxes, you get ten dollars whoa okay, well again it's all the distant power of the internal revenue service that's operative in Washington, that bestows a grace upon you when you get ten dollars of no merit of your own. It's just that they screwed up, and they're so because the irs is synonymous with when they screw up, you get refunds. Yeah, that happens a long the time. The idea of central banking is reinforced and Monopoly. For example, the rule in the nineteen thirty three version, the Darrow version that was carried over and it's still part of the official rules that has Bro and Parker Brothers maintain is in quote, no player can borrow from or lend money to another player. So the Monopoly bank is the centralized bank. It has complete control over the game or legal tender and can regulate it as such. And there's no wherewithal by which are there's no means by which someone could loan new money or vice versa within the game. Tenth point Here, all mortgages and price are price controlled to a ten percent interest rate, which is interesting, Now, why is that all mortgages in the game are price controlled to a ten percent interest rate? Again, this reinforces the George's perspective that you shouldn't be getting usurious funds from people because your land value went up, and then therefore you're able to charge a greater than ten percent interest rate. I thought of Tucker Carlson. He would be so proud right now, because everything else would be anything more than ten percent. Why ten percent? Who knows? But he doing that as being sinful and usurious.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The eleven point here regarding inflation. Another rule, the bank never goes bankrupt. Now that's wild, right. The monopoly bank, according to the official rules, never goes bankrupt. In point of fact, if there comes to a point where money runs out, you're supposed to write notes and on scrap paper that the bank owes me. This and then when the bank accrues more money, or it's even allowed that you go get more monopoly money from another game, it'll pay you out. So it never gets it never goes bankrupt. Twelve. If it were verily monopoly, one could think that of each square as an individual monopoly grant. Only the government can give out such grants. So government was the original owner of all that. This is a point that's made by Ben poll In, an article entitled It's on Thesa's Institute's website, and I have the source here. Ben Pal's article is Monopoly. Parker Brothers gets it wrong, and so he writes this that if indeed monopoly, if you could think of each square as an individual monopoly grant, then only the government can give out such grants. So the government was the original owner of all things. Monopoly as a game would make more sense to an Ottoman Turk living under the sultanate in the nineteenth century than it does to an American kid in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: I e.
Speaker 2: Met see, because the conceptualization is that government owns all it provides these grants, or more so the ability to lobby for granted monopolies and special privileges, and the government has ownership of it, so it can doulve that out to individuals connected to it. All right, Oh, I have a wild instance about the history of monopoly that pertains to the whole central banking and inflation question around the game. I had no idea about this, but in nineteen sixty one. In nineteen sixty one, at the University of Pittsburgh, there was a one one hundred and sixty one hour marathon monopoly game played by students at pitt in which the bank ran out of money. The players then wired Parker Brothers for a bailout, and the company sent extra game money on a plane to Pittsburgh. And even.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even had a truck, an armor truck, pick it up from the airport and deliver it, and and so doing. Of course, the inclusion of the new money devalued all the already extant money within the game. Okay, again, the bank cannot run out of money, all right. So going back to that conceptualization that every property monopoly is really kind of a government monopoly grant to the individual player who happens to land on at first and is able to purchase it, it's better to conceptualize the initial price in the idea that it's not so much ownership but the exclusive cost of lobbying the government for a special monopoly grant. That is to say, one of the main objections of the Georgis was that you could purchase what would otherwise be untainted and undeveloped land in real estate, and in so purchasing without doing anything to develop bid Again, they were really big into homesteading, good for them and mixing one's labor with the land so as to be productive. There were speculators the Georgis and Henry George himself were scanalized by that said, well, there's people that are benefiting that are just buying up land and then not doing anything with it that's not labor. So this for them was nothing sort of usually, but instead of using cash, they were using you were using land as a So what monopoly as a game and is a conceptualization of real life actually points to is a gigantic flaw in the George's reasoning, namely that well if the individual who obtains land or even rents it out without developing a great deal, or buys a building and doesn't improve its condition, but yet benefits from rent seeking, but not rent seeking from the government, just getting rent from private individuals, well, here's the thing. What the board shows is that all you gain is not the property itself, but a kind of grant to lobby the government or the power, a kind of entry point to lobby the government for more monopoly authority. So this is ben Powell's point. Other players are then mandated to pay you because not so much that you own the land or privilege, which is anathema to Georgis. But because you own the privilege of being connected to the government, who says you own the property? Follow yep, okay, So monopoly as and caps and you and I would define it, and Rothbard defined it in real life with government intervention rather than operative within the free market is truly defined as in quote, a special grant of privilege by the state. And that's really what we have here. You obtain it by luck and connection. You have the capacity at the beginning of the game to purchase the land, but you're really not purchasing the land, because that's again distasteful to the Georgies. You're simply gaining the right to gain more land and then charge rent to everyone else. Well, Jess is injurious. But it's a lot better than saying you have a property right to the land, as if the land and your property is an extension of your body. Okay again this is this struck me as a kid. I would wonder if, for example, one railroad service was better than the other. Notice how of course, because it's unavoidable, especially in Darrow's game, that as you progress through the board, Saint Charles place is not very expensive. Right, but as you progress to the board and get to park place on board walk, those are the most expensive properties. Well, what's determining the value of those properties? Well, the monopoly game has no real.
Speaker 3: Answer for that.
Speaker 2: In a sense, it allows you to imagine that living somewhere on St. Charles's Place, or being a renter there, or being forced to pace some fee because you happened upon that property. Well, that area really sucks. It would be terrible to live there. Correct? Or what is the other one Baltic Avenue or is Baltic Avenue a nice one? Baltic Avenue is in the green? I think? Are the other purple ones Baltics one of the Oh, Baltic's one of the shitty ones. Yeah, okay? And then what oh was Pacific Avenue was? Is one of the green ones? It was nice? So you're getting as you play the game, Oh, it must be nice to be in the green or the light blue. It sucks ass to be in Baltic Avenue or Mediterranean Avenue, right, right? Also you pick up like Baltics, Well the Baltics are you know, Eastern Europe way up in the boonies. Correct? Immigrants Mediterranean. Oh my god, those are Southern European Catholics. Awful, right, So you go from the kind of ethnic enclaves and then you get more and more lily white, lily white lily all the way down to boardwalk of park Place, which you might as well have a pew at the at the Methodist Church or or be a high Anglican by that point. Yeah, or at least you're going to be that if you want to fit in. So yeah, it The prices are avoidable because it forces you to determine what would be more advantageous to own, but there's no examination in the game as to why those properties are more expensive than others. You follow, Yes, Okay, Now I want to get to the mess quote that is at the heart of why this game is so problematic. And but before we do that, I did want to note that there were some other oddities that I wanted to go over. And you just take these for what the what you value them as, value them as in a subjective sense. Maggie what what was her what was her reaction to Monopoly blowing up? Well? When Parker Brothers purchased the patent and copyright for Darrow's Monopoly game. So as to ensure that there will be no competitive games, they went out and bought patents or bought up with the patents and made sure they had possess the copyrights of any other competitor games. And that's what they deemed Maggie's game the Landlord game. So she received five hundred dollars from Parker Brothers. Now when she began to see in I believe she was again living in the DC suburbs at the time, in the depression, which she began to see Monopoly games being played from Parker Brothers. And we have written proof of this because she was a progressive writer. She wrote in all these journals and stuff like that she rejoiced in the game's popularity, but only later when it made it really big, did she become indignant. She attempted to get more money and royalties from Parker Brothers, unsuccessful in that, and she died an embittered, childish widow who had worked at the of all Things, US Office of Education as a typist. Her coworkers commented that they remembered her as rather quiet, but she did speak up about a board games a lot.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, interesting to note here nineteen seventies. In fact, nineteen seventy three, a professor from San Francisco State University, a leftist professor shocker teaching at San Francisco State University in the early seventies. His name was Ralph Ansbach. He, being a left wing academic, also sued Parker Brothers. And that's because he developed as a left wing academic and anti monopoly game and he called it such in nineteen seventy three. Now, just imagine how anti capitalistic that game is. But we'll get into some of the things about that in a moment. Well, let's just get into anti monopoly game right now. In the anti Monopoly game by ants Bac, players took the role of federal case workers. Again, this what an exhilarating game. I can't wait to be a federal case worker in the game. And they could choose to be either competitors or a monopolists. Now, this is kind of an interesting twist that Antspac there he is with his anti monopoly game. Like, I like this to a degree because what Anspec was trying to point out, because ironically the goal of his game was returned to a truly free market system, was how anti competitive monopolies and large corporations had become so he was not deluded by the idea that all government activity would be advantageous for breaking up monopolies. He saw that government often colluded with big business, and thus he's seeing the praises he would be, I mean Murray Rothbart at the time if he had ever met Anspach. I don't know if he did, but that'd be interesting if they did me. But he'd probably shake his hand and say, you're right about you know, the free market doesn't work like this, especially with all this intervention and preferential treatment. So what is problematic, however, is that the anti Monopoly game is styled in such a way and its game plan and it's layout. Obviously it's a kickoff of the original Monopoly game. But he was really into and a big proponent proponent of large national antitrust laws. So it's one of those great weaknesses I suppose, or fault and mistakes or missteps of leftists who like the Georgia's got the first part right about how property is gained rightly, so in the most ethical and moral sense. And then rather than recognizing that the government is a great inhibitor to the enjoyment and then making that property, whether it be land or services provided or whatever, it might be beneficial to the masses if you will. Well, yeah, the government has to step in, right, and it often inhibits that individual enjoyment of property, and wherever the individual decides or elects to direct it the fruits of that labor and the Smithian sense. And what they do instead is, rather than calling upon the dissolution of governmental agencies, they double down and say, well, the problem is state or local governments. So we need national plans like larger anti trust laws, like we just have to strengthen the Wagner Act, and then the union unions labor unions will be even stronger, even though the Wagner Act hadn't achieved any of the socialistic ambitions of the new Deal. Okay, let's see another oddity, the last one. This is probably the last oddity I'll share, and that is that. And speaking at trivia, I'll have you a guest. See if you can land on this one. What The day that Maggie filed her patent for the Landlord's Game was the same day that really famous innovators from North Carolina or at least that's where they were working filed their patent. I'll give you a hint. They were relatives.
Speaker 3: You're talking about the Parker brothers.
Speaker 2: Nope, the Right brothers. Wow. Yeah, the Right brothers filed the patent for their plane the same day, the same day in nineteen oh four, nineteen oh three or nineteen oh four. Isn't that wild?
Speaker 1: Is that just something you put together or was it in a similar location you're saying, Oh.
Speaker 2: No, no, I found it in a story. I found it in the Guardian article by Actually this woman, wrote Mary Pillen. She wrote a whole book about this ream of the game. So but she had an article in Guardian that disclosed that Okay, should we get to the muses quote. Let me read it and hopefully it summarizes what all that's wrong with the board game Monopoly and the messages that it entails or tries to instill in us. So here's what means wrote in Human Action. Neither the entrepreneurs and this is about real life, but it could be, it could be said of Monopoly, neither the entrepreneurs, nor the farmers, nor the capitalists determine what has to be purchased, whereas a monopoly, the everything, your luck or lack thereof, determines what has to be purchased. The consumers do that, their buying and their abstention from buying, decides who should own and run the plants and farms. They make poor people rich and rich people poor. They determine precisely what should be produced, in what quality and in what quantities. They are merciless bosses, full of whims and fancies, changeable and unpredictable, whereas essentially everything in monopoly is very well static and predictable. I love that quote, along with the other quote that we featured so heavily when we had our episodes on human action after I had read it through from cover to cover. What was that about a year and a half ago, eighteen months ago? And that quote about you have really a choice in human living and in social operation? Can only there's really two choices. You can have some extrinsic force to the public, be the king of setting what is valuable. Or you can have the individual consumer, or more so individual consumers, acting in simultaneous and multifaceted ways, determine what is of value. They are the kings. A king is someone who goes to an appliance store to buy a washer. A king is someone who is able to go and choose from a whole host of varieties of chewing gum in a supermarket line. Why, because of the choices a lotted to him and the fact that all of the competitive enterprises seeking that exchange, seeking that capital and value from that individual consumer, they're all warring with each other just to get that and so therefore they have the power that a medieval king might well be envious of.
Speaker 3: Have you ever played Monopoly with the free parking role?
Speaker 2: Yes, where all I forget what money goes there. It's like the money that you get from or you get charged from chance or community Chess cards goes into free parking, and then if you land in free parking you get the money. Yeah, yes, yes, that's actually not part of the official game, but those are.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: It's a famous house role that somehow made it made its way around. Yes, talk about hyperinflation. That's how you get a game to last two hours longer than it should. For sure, there's so many dollars in circulation that all the people are asking for five hundred dollars to complete their monopoly on Mediterranean.
Speaker 2: Yes, And the restriction against loaning to each other is really problematic too, because it is one area where you could see that there could be mutual benefit from cooperation, and anytime in Monopoly that there is just the possibility of mutual benefit from voluntary exchange, the game just squashes that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Not only that, I think the biggest sigh of about Monopoly is that when something like that comes up.
Speaker 3: Let's say.
Speaker 1: My brother and I are playing against another pair of brothers and and we say, hey, I'll let you go on this rent payment. But when I come back around on when you land on mind yell collusion that they say that's cheating, correct, that's right.
Speaker 2: So yes, again, you're you're making it a voluntary exchange of delaying a payment if you should land on this property for mutual benefit, because you could, and in.
Speaker 3: A way I don't There was.
Speaker 2: That reference to you can only charge ten percent interest on mortgages, right, but I don't remember ever having to pay extra. Do you remember that as part of the game.
Speaker 3: I think when you unmortgage something.
Speaker 2: You do okay, okay, because it's been so long since I actually played.
Speaker 1: It, Because that was the one thing that you were saying that I don't. I didn't remember from the game either. Is the ten percent law. I do believe that it's so got it and monopoly. To unmortgage a property, you must pay the bank the original mortgage value printed on the card plus ten percent interest.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, got it.
Speaker 1: So if I take you out and I want to take your properties, you probably had a mortgage a bunch of properties just to stay alive, right, but you're it's knock out of time you got knocked out or wanted to trade, Yeah, would have to un mortgage.
Speaker 3: I got to add ten percent.
Speaker 2: Right, But why couldn't Why does the game expressly prohibit before you get knocked out you trading with uh, someone who happens to be just because of the roll of the dice, a wash with capital and you get that property for a time or something like that.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you can. I think you can still trade mortgaged properties. But if I wanted to unmortgage the property you just traded me to collect the rent on it or to build a monopoly, I've got to pay that ten percent fee.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, the game sucks. I mean I never totally enjoyed playing it anyway.
Speaker 3: I had some fun times playing it, did you.
Speaker 2: I've had some fun times playing I know that a lot of there's just innumerable people who play the digital version, right, But I guess the digital version bears little resemblance or some of them bear a little resemblance the actual game. So anyway, there you go, Dark notes on Monopoly.
Speaker 3: That was great work. Oh thanks.
Speaker 2: I hope I didn't get too philosophical or into the problem the economic irrealities that the game kind of professes and which I find problematic.
Speaker 1: But well, I think the biggest problem of it all is it treats cooperation as cheating.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, it treats cooperation as cheating, and there there's no everything is getting through luck in fact, good or bad. And beyond that, there's no sense of kind of trade offs that landing on a spot. There isn't there shouldn't there be a mutual benefit there. I mean, for example, if I if I envision and maybe this is what was on my mind when I was a kid. Let's say I just start the game, and I'm just starting off, I only have whatever allotment they give you at the beginning, was it two hundred bucks or something like that, and I'm just starting off in life and I land on Mediterranean and there's a restaurant that's underneath this three flat and I need something to eat. Well, why is it that don't I get something for landing on there? And you should get something too, because I'm paying for a meal in your restaurant, they have to pay rent to you.
Speaker 3: Or what have you.
Speaker 2: It just seems it's just very It's a conceptualization that is just doggy dog as luck should have it the cell and in a lot of ways, if we're just gonna extend it, and maybe this is an extrapolation too far, but it just strikes you as you're just weirdly sympathetic for people who are either truspassers or should be seen as visitors. It can't be. In other words, why is it that landing on a property renders you a truspasser or a benign visitor or someone who has to is desirous of owning the property? Right, There's a trillion different relations that are in between those two polls, if you will yes, which are mutually beneficial to Demonstrative preference is not a part of monopoly, correct, other than you're I guess the board the game allows you to imagine that boardwalk is better than Mediterranean place.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Also, this is the same for fantasy football. But when you're trading with people, you are trying to beat them. Yes in the trade in the end, in the end, yes, yes, right in the end. This you might be able to make a short term win win trade here, but it's not about a long term win for both sides ever, because you're trying to beat the people that you're.
Speaker 3: You're trading with.
Speaker 2: Well, except in fantasy football, when there are circumstances where if you have if you play every year with the same league and you're able to, for example, carry over a number of players might be one or two players.
Speaker 1: The dynasty leagues are more dynasty leagues, yes, so more cooperative for sure, or.
Speaker 2: Or you also have the instances where you might be out of it, but a guy who you want to see win maybe hasn't won in the dynasty league. You might engage in a trade that Again, time preference will be beneficial for you in the long run, but in short term, just like any other kind of trade in baseball, for example, is going to be advantageous for him in the here and now, right and it's allowed, although again a lot of fantasy football and fantasy baseball or fantasy sports commissioners will have the power to disallow a trade.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's patently unfair.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about a town that doesn't like cooperation and.
Speaker 2: Has a lot of talk about zoning.
Speaker 3: A lot of talk about zoning. Yes, let's talk about it. Okay, the people segment mean wili in oak Park? You should go to your gay subub now. Meanwhile in oak Park, brought to you by Trent teen Brewing.
Speaker 1: One opinion in one semi opinion one here Okay news Israel boycott petitions submitted now challenged. Oak Park Electoral Board will review signature challenge. I don't know what that is? Did they abs the signatures? Community Canvasseries representing oak Parkers for Free Speech collected more than thirty five hundred signatures in support of a proposed November advisory referendum regarding whether Illinois should repeal laws that ban state investment in businesses that boycott Israel.
Speaker 2: Hey, all right, boycott divest movement.
Speaker 1: The notarized signatures, far more than minimum required number of about two thousand, were collected over twelve weeks, and the group met in August third Village of Oak Park deadline for submission, but one objection to the petition signatures was filed by the Monday, August tenth deadline, which will prompt a three village electoral board to determine whether that objection will be upheld.
Speaker 2: The village board existing of Rabbi Shmooley, Haverstein and Rothschild.
Speaker 1: Michael Casper, an attorney with the Chicago government relations law firm Casper, Holmes and Dring, is representing objectors. In a call from Wednesday Journal, Casper would not comment on the basis of the objection.
Speaker 2: It's anti semitic. All those signatures are anti Semitic.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: I have a long standing pattern of not commenting on my cases, he said. The Jewish Community and Friends for Democracy group noted in a prepared statement to Wednesday Journal that quote, the objectors in this matter are private citizens and registered.
Speaker 3: Oak Park voters.
Speaker 1: Will they have no formal affiliation with Jewish Community and Friends for Democracy. We support their decision to object as an integral part of the democratic process. Illinois law has long allowed objections to ensure only petitions meeting legal requirements reached the ballot.
Speaker 2: Well, they got thirty five hundred of them. How many of them are fake?
Speaker 3: Quote?
Speaker 1: Jewish commit Unity and Friends for Democracy JCFD believes that questions about a long standing Middle East conflict do.
Speaker 3: Not belong on a local Oak Park ballot.
Speaker 1: Most importantly, this ballot measure is divisive and distracts our community from pressing local issues like access to healthcare and affordable housing.
Speaker 2: Because that's what Oak Park is about.
Speaker 1: Process for ELEC approximate process for electoral Board. According to the village, the Illinois election Code requires the village's municipal electoral board to hear an issue a decision on any objection to petitions for public questions. In this case, village President Vicki Schaiman will be chair of the electoral board. Village Clerk Christina Waters will serve as secretary, and Jim Taglia, the longest tenured village board member, will also participate. However, Scheme is out of state on a personal matter, and she said Tsday morning she is still working to determine whether she will be able to participate via zoom. She added, the village attorney will determine whether her remote participation would be legal quote, no one has contacted me from village Halls came and said, if not, the pro tempo war replacement will likely be trustee Chibuke and yea, she said, pro temporary, pro temporary.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Taglia said Tuesday morning he hadn't seen the objection quote. The electoral Board is focused on the process and whether the process is followed and correct and appropriate. That's what the focus is, not the subject of the referenda, he said. My understanding is I will be on it if it happens. The Electoral Board can only war will probably be over.
Speaker 2: The Palestinians will be cleared out of West Bank by the time they get a referendum on divest and boycott.
Speaker 1: The Electoral Board can only determine the procedural viability of the petitions on the basis raised and the objection. It does not review or decide on the substance or legality of the proposed referendu question.
Speaker 2: These people would love to play the landlord's game.
Speaker 3: They would.
Speaker 1: August seventeenth is the deadline for the Village Board, not the Electoral Board, to adopt an ordinance initiating a public question. If the Electoral Board sustains the objection, it may remove the question from the ballot. The Illinois Election Code notes the Electoral Board's decision quote shall be final, subject to judicial review. The village also said August twenty seventh is the certification deadline, or the final day Waters can submit the public question to the Cook County Clerk so that the question can appear on the November ballot. A certified copy of the question is the finalized, unchangeable version of the question that allows the Cook County Clerk to prepare the ballot in advance of the November third election.
Speaker 2: This is all very exhilarating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously. Quote the process is the purpose.
Speaker 2: Oooh, that's government right there.
Speaker 3: Karen with a C.
Speaker 1: Karen Vince, like a leader of Oak Parker's for Free Speech, was a Canvasser and said the community response to its outreach was generally positive.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: I think people were really surprised and shocked Illinois has a law that has an anti boycott thing to it.
Speaker 3: She said. We explain what.
Speaker 1: That law did, shielded Israel and only Israel, and gave it impunity for its human rights abuses. We wanted it to be on the ballot. We thought the public should have say in this and they were enthusiastic about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Still, Van Slikes said there was pushback and in some cases it was vitriolic.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: It's sad, but I will say it's very few.
Speaker 3: She said.
Speaker 1: I also take as a good thing that it was so few, because I think it's a really good thing that we can have a discussion about important issues in Oak Park.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: I also felt that some of it was pretty vicious and unbecoming to our community. It was small, but really unpleasant. Jesse Bauer is a core co organizer of Oak Parker's for Free Speech and was another Canvasser quote. I think ninety to ninety five percent was positive. He said, most people were really surprised that process of educating the public was well worthwhile, and getting it on the ballot is important because people didn't know this quote.
Speaker 3: We've said the process is the purpose boring, boring.
Speaker 1: Last one who benefits, Michael Dixon, we bone them. As a former resident of River Forest, we moved to a small college town in Ohio a couple of months ago.
Speaker 3: There are many things I miss.
Speaker 1: Great neighbors, a vibrant community, terrific schools, proximity to the many things the village has to offer, et cetera. What I don't miss is what seems to be an orchestrated lack of concern by the village board when it comes to matters that most impact residents, like high rise developments deeply affecting the neighborhoods in which they are proposed, the cutting down of beautiful mature trees, et cetera, as a matter of interest for a place we dearly loved living. I keep my finger on the pulse of what's happening in the village, and one has to wonder about the deaf ear turned to homeowners when voting on such things as every cop show on television, opins when trying to solve a crime. Who benefits clearly not the residence. When a development is unanimously approved after a kangaroo court version of listening to the concerns of the local population. Is it all about the money?
Speaker 2: It usually is. Hmmm, look at how he signs it. Michael Dixon, former longtime resident, now living in a small town where elected officials actively engaged with the community.
Speaker 3: That's the people's segment there. It is mean Wilian Oak Park.
Speaker 1: What would have happened if I'd gone for it and just said, no, I'm gay.
Speaker 2: What can I say? What can I add?
Speaker 3: Boring? Boring? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it just boring because it's the summer.
Speaker 1: It does pick up when school comes back around, yeah, or election season.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, it's not the same.
Speaker 1: It's not the same without Robbie. I miss Robbie.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was. He stirred the pod a little bit. God bless him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if we could do something to spice things up in oak Park. If only we could just broadcast this across different have a way to pirate the oak Park Library.
Speaker 3: That would be awesome.
Speaker 2: You have to watch this.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, I thought that was a great Darknouts Darkness number four Monopoly, Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was dark to it was dark to go down that rabbit hole of determining just how icky it always and the problems with the game itself.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it it.
Speaker 1: Is super interesting that Maggie just became an employee that was quiet but loved for games. And yeah, she talked a lot about boards created Monopoly.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that exactly?
Speaker 2: But uh, how she I liked to how when she saw how popular the arrow version became. She was initially elated. She's like, oh, look at that, it's so popular, that that was my game and stuff like that. And then when she realized it was that Darrow was getting millions and millions in royalties, that's what she became indignant.
Speaker 1: That might be the darkest of all the dark knights right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so where did her georgeism? You know, once once the dollars start showing up for other people, all of a sudden, Henry George and prosperity and power, just as his book got tossed out the window.
Speaker 3: I'm sewing.
Speaker 2: I'm sewing another maybe interesting episode and I have to admittedly read more about it. Is the whole idea of do you in in Campistan or according to a narco capitalist theory, do you have the right to ownership of an idea? It should there be patent ip Yes, So intellectual property is a huge subject matter. I tend to side with Stephen Concella on this one that you don't you and Rothbart said the same thing. You cannot own an idea. It's it's not it's not yours, it's not tangible. You can't mix your labor with it. Now, if you happen to use that idea and create an artifact or some product from it with your own labor. Well, then bully for you. You deserve that. But otherwise you don't own that property, So you don't own an idea.
Speaker 3: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, yeah, I have to look into the second part though. Do we have too many patents? How many patents? Is too many?
Speaker 2: Well? Sure, but I mean the consulate ideas that you wouldn't have any patents at all. I mean you came up, let's say you came up with a better way to refine metholene. I'm rewatching baking bad right now. So you came up with a process that is able to you're able to create methylene or suit a fedrin or whatever with its cheaper and greater speed. You shouldn't. You don't own that idea. If you went and head and did the process and gained the materials and the capital goods required to create a product, then you own that product because you're mixing your labor with some resources. But otherwise you don't. You can't own a conception. Just like you don't. You don't own your reputation. Correct, your reputation is actually owned by other people. It's the thoughts of other people, so if anyone has a proper claim to your reputation, it's other people. Anything else, No, that's it, and looking forward as I always do at the end of each episode, the next week. Until then, peace,