Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Today, we're really getting into the nuts and bolts of our digital world. You know that feeling you want to understand how the tech around you works, not just you know that it works. So we're going on a journey today unlocking some of that core IT knowledge, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Stuff that powers everything from your phone to the Internet itself exactly.
Speaker 1: And our guide for this it's this amazing stack of practice materials for the Comtia A plus exams Core one and Core two. Think of them as like a decoder ring for practical, real world IT.
Speaker 2: Stuff, right, and our mission here is to pull out those really crucial relevant bits. We're not just about memorizing facts. It's more about getting that deeper feel for what something is and maybe more importantly, why it actually matters. The sources themselves really push that building real knowledge for practical use, not just you know, repeating things. That's what we're aiming for.
Speaker 1: Couldn't agree more so, whether you're maybe studying for an exam, or you're just really curious about the hidden workings of your gadgets, like how does your phone actually know where you are? Or what makes Wi Fi pick or why printers can be so temperamental. Sometimes this deep dive is for you. We want you to walk away feeling genuinely clued in understanding the tech that's well basically part of our lives now.
Speaker 2: And it's worth saying the expertise behind these source materials is solid. Audrey, the technical editor and co author, holds a bunch of Comptier asserts and others, so the foundation is definitely strong.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start with something we use constantly, mobile devices. How many times have you wondered how your phone just knows where you are? It feels like magic, right.
Speaker 2: Hah, Yeah, it does seem like it, but it's definitely more than logic. When we talk location services, yeah, GPS comes to mind first, Global Positioning System, and sure those satellites are key. But here's the thing. Your phone hardly ever, relies just on GPS. It's usually blending things. It uses cellular location services to signals from cell towers nearby, and even Wi Fi positioning mapping you against known networks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's a mix exactly.
Speaker 2: It makes it faster, more accurate, especially when you're indoors where GPS signals can be weak. Think about like a ride share app it needs to track your driver pretty precisely, right, or maybe a hiking app showing you exactly where you are on some trail. That accuracy it comes from these systems working together.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, blending technologies for a better result. Now, thinking out all these devices, especially for businesses, managing them must be well a headache.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, oh absolutely, And that's precisely where MDM comes in Mobile device management. Its main job is to centrally manage and secure all the mobile devices in an organization. Super important for company owned phones, but also for BYOD scenarios.
Speaker 1: Bring your own DIVISCECE is getting more common.
Speaker 2: Definitely, so MDM lets it push out security policies, you know, make sure devices have pass codes, encryption, that sort of thing. And they can remotely manage corporate apps, make sure they're installed right, kept up to date. And a really critical security feature is the remote wipe capability.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, if a phone gets lost or stolen.
Speaker 2: Exactly, or if an employee leaves, it can just remotely erase all the sensitive company data. It's all out control and security, even when the device isn't physically there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So moving away from the corporate side, what does this mean for our everyday digital lives. How do we keep our personal stuff flowing between, say, our phone and tablet.
Speaker 2: Right, that's where mobile device synchronization comes in. It's basically essential for keeping everything consistent. Imagine your calendar, contacts, maybe some work apps, email, cloud storage. Without sync, you'd update something on your phone and it wouldn't show up on your laptop.
Speaker 1: Chaos, total chaos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so sync is what Let's say parents share appointments easily, or make sure your contact list is the same everywhere. It's kind of the invisible glue holding our multi device lives together makes sense. Just a quick side note, all the sinking uses data obviously, so knowing your data caps is sometimes useful to a void surprises.
Speaker 1: On your bill. Good point. Okay, so we've talked about individual devices. Let's zoom out a bit. How do they actually talk to each other. Let's dig into networking.
Speaker 2: Right, the digital backbone, and at the heart of it, you've got these core protocols, mainly TCP Transmission Control Protocol and UDP User Data Gram Protocol. Think of it like this. TCP is like sending a certified letter. It sets up a connection. Make sure every piece of data gets there in the right order.
Speaker 1: Reliable, okay, but maybe a bit slower.
Speaker 2: Exactly because of all the checking and confirming. UDP, on the other hand, is more like sending a postcard. You just fire it off. It's faster because it doesn't bother with all that confirmation stuff. Great for things like live video or online gaming where a tiny dropped bit of data isn't the end of the world, but speed is key.
Speaker 1: That's a really helpful analogy. And these protocols use specific like digital doors, right.
Speaker 2: Ports precisely. Ports are just standardized numbers that specific services used to communicate. Keeps everything organized. So for instance, when you're browsing the web, that's mostly HTTP on Port eighty. That's how your browser asks for and gets web pages.
Speaker 1: Ay, standard web stuff yep.
Speaker 2: Then there's a DNS, the domain name system on Court fifty three. This one's critical. It's like the Internet's phone book. It turns website names we understand, like Google dot Com into the numerical IP, addresses computer's need. Without DNS, good luck finding anything online easily.
Speaker 1: Right, that makes sense. What about managing things remotely?
Speaker 2: Good question? For secure remote management, you use SSH secure shell on Port twenty two lets you log in and control a server securely. Everything's encrypted. Compare that to the old telnet on port twenty three totally insecure, sends everything in plaintext. Big no no today.
Speaker 1: Definitely avoid that one absolutely.
Speaker 2: And if you're doing remote desktop stuff like controlling another Windows PC over the network, that's often RDP Remote Desktop Protocol on port three three eighty nine. Understanding these ports helps you grasp you know, what's happening behind the scenes with security and services.
Speaker 1: It really does put those numbers into context. Yeah, but networks aren't all the same size, are they not at all?
Speaker 2: They very hugely. We usually categorize them. You've got your land local area network that's typically your home or office network, small area connect a bunch of lands together, maybe across cities or countries. And you've got a wand wide area network think the Internet itself is a giant one. And then there's the really close range stuff a PAN personal area network Bluetooth is the classic example, like headphones on my phone exactly, that's a PAN, usually just around ten meters range. Knowing these types helps you understand the scale of the connections you're using.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have all these different networks. But how do we actually build them fix them when something goes wrong? You need special tools.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, the right tools are essential. Try making a network cable without a crumper, it's basically impossible to do it reliably. Or tracing one specific cable in a messy server RAC without a tone or probe and wand nightmare.
Speaker 1: I can imagine.
Speaker 2: A really important one is the cable tester. Say you're running a new fiber optic cable through a wall or conduit. You definitely want to test it before you pull it through.
Speaker 1: Ah yeah, because fixing it later would be awful.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The tester confirms it's working, no breaks, and with Wi Fi being so common, a Wi Fi analyzer is super useful. It helps you see signal strength, find interference, choose the best channel, basically troubleshoot and optimize your wireless network. These tools are the unsung heroes.
Speaker 1: Really makes sense, Okay, Let's shift from the invisible signals and networks to the actual physical stuff, the hardware. Let's start with screens.
Speaker 2: Right displays what you're looking at all day. There's quite a range now. LCDs liquid crystal displays are still very common, but within LCDs you have different panel types. IPS panels are popular because they have great color and wide viewing angles. Good if you're doing design work or sharing your screen. Then there's O lead organic light emitting diode, fantastic picture quality, perfect blacks, and they tend to use less power, which is why you see them in so many high end phone and TVs.
Speaker 1: Now right, those OLED screens look amazing, they really do.
Speaker 2: And of course if it's a touch screen, you've got the digitizer layer that actually senses your touch. And then there are attributes like refresh rate. Higher refresh rates means smoother motion, really important for gaming, and pixel density, which affects how sharp everything looks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so lots of factors in just the display. What about connecting everything else, all those different cables and plugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can feel like spaghetti sometimes, but they each have a job. For wired networks, it's mostly copper network cables ethernet cables. They come in categories like PAT five E, CAT six CAT six A. The main difference is speed and how far they can carry the signal reliably.
Speaker 1: So Cat six A is faster YEP.
Speaker 2: CAT six A can handle ten gigabits per second up to one hundred meters, So if you're wiring a building now, using CAT six A is kind of future proofing it. And these cables follow standards T five six eight A or T five sixty eight B for how the little wires insider arranged keeps everything compatible. Beyond networking, you've got cables for removable storage, USB for flash drives, memory cards, and less common now connections for optical drives.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's crack open the computer case itself. What's the core stuff inside?
Speaker 2: Right? The heart of the machine. The motherboard is the main circuit board connecting everything. They come in different sizes or form factors ATX, micro, atx, itx.
Speaker 1: And that determines if it fits in the case exactly.
Speaker 2: You need the right size motherboard for your PC case. These boards have all sorts of connectors PCIe slots for graphics cards or other expansion cards, SATA ports for your hard drives or SSDs, maybe MT two slots for those super fast gumstick sized SSDs.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: One key thing to remember, especially for repairs laptop motherboards. They're almost always proprietary.
Speaker 1: Meaning you can't just swap them easily.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, you usually can't put a Dell motherboard in an HP laptop or even sometimes between different Dell models makes repairs trickier. And of course, the CPU, the central processing unit, the brain of a whole operation.
Speaker 1: Got it? And what about the unsung hero of the office, the printer. Setting them up and keeping them happy can.
Speaker 2: Be tricky, ugh, printers love them, hate them. Setting them up involves more than just plugging them in. You've got configuration settings like duplex that's printing on both sides. Also orientation, which paper tray to use, print quality settings.
Speaker 1: Right, and security must be a bigger deal now with networked.
Speaker 2: Printers, huge deal features like user authentication, maybe badge readers, secure print release so documents don't sit out in the open. It's important. And maintenance is different for laser versus inkjet. Laser printers use toner. If you see white streaks on your printouts, probably low toner or a dirty drum.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a common one.
Speaker 2: It is for inkjets. If the colors are wrong or faded, it's often a clogged print head, needing cleaning, or just a low ink cartridge. Regular cleaning and maintenance definitely help avoid those frustrating moments.
Speaker 1: Good pips Okay, Inevitably things do go wrong. Let's talk troubleshooting. Knowing the warning signs seems key.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. When your computer acts up, especially with core components like the motherboard, RAM, CPU, or power supply, it often gives clues. Listen for POSD beeps during startup. Those short codes can tell you what's wrong before Windows even loads. A sudden blank screen or the system just being dead no power could be the power supply, could be the motherboard.
Speaker 1: What about overheating?
Speaker 2: Classic symptom is the computer randomly shutting down after it's been running for a bit, say ten to fifteen minutes. Often means a fan failed or vents are blocked. And sometimes you can literally see a problem like a bulging or swollen capacitor on the motherboard. That's a clear sign something's about to fail badly. These are all symptoms pointing you in a direction.
Speaker 1: Okay, and storage drives losing data is the big fear there. What are the warning signs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, storage issues are scary for traditional spinning hard drives HDDs. The absolute classic warning sign is that grinding or clicking noise.
Speaker 1: Oh that sounds bad. It is bad.
Speaker 2: It usually means the physical mechanism inside is failing. Back up immediately if you hear that. Other signs bootable device not found, errors, actual data loss or corruption, things taking forever to read or write. If you're using RAY that's multiple drives working together. Look at the LED status lights. An error light or an audible alarm usually means one of the drives in the set has.
Speaker 1: Failed and RAY ten needs four drives right minimum four Yeah for that combination of mirroring, redundancy and striping speed.
Speaker 2: Paying attention to these warnings can save your data definitely.
Speaker 1: Lastly, visual problems screens or projectors acting up right.
Speaker 2: Display issues can be simple fixes. Sometimes. Always check the input source setting first and make sure the cables are plugged in tight. A loose cable is a very common cause of flickering or no signal.
Speaker 1: Good point. Check the simple stuff first always.
Speaker 2: For projectors, a burned out ball do is common over time, or sometimes they just shut down intermnutently because they've hit their standby timer setting. You might also see a fuzzy image, maybe dead pixels, those annoying little dots that stay black or weird colors, and distorted images. Often that's just the screen resolution being set wrong for the display or maybe sizing issues. Lots of potential visual glitches, but often traceable.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's switch gears to the software side, the operating systems, the digital brains right.
Speaker 2: The operating system or OS. That's the fundamental software managing everything. We mostly know Windows, Mac, OS, Linux, maybe Chromos. For desktops and laptops, these are workstation systems, and then for mobile it's primarily iOS and iPad OS and Android. Each one provides that core interface and manages the hardware.
Speaker 1: And how do they actually store our files? The underlying file systems are different, aren't they?
Speaker 2: They are, and it matters. For example, Fat thirty two is super compatible, works on Windows, Mac, Linux, great for USB sticks you move between computers, but the big limitation is that for gigabyte file size limit, you can't save a single file bigger than that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so not great for large video files.
Speaker 2: Or backups exactly. That's why Windows uses NTFS or the newer efs, macOS uses APFS, and Linux commonly uses XD four or XFS. These newer ones handle huge files, offer better security, journaling for reliability, lots of advantages. Knowing the file system helps if you run into compatibility issues.
Speaker 1: Makes sense and for Mac users specifically, what are some key macOS features and maybe best practices.
Speaker 2: macOS has its own way of doing things. Installing apps often involves dot DMG files, Dot PPG installers or dot app bundles, plus the app store. Of course, Its system folder structure is also distinct, with folders like applications, users library understanding that helps navigate for best practices. Time Machine for backups is fantastic, really easy to use. Keeping the OS and apps updated with patches and rapid security responses is crucial for security and keychain is Its built in password manager sinks your password securely across your Apple devices, very landing.
Speaker 1: Very integrated. Okay, security, it's everywhere now a constant concern. How do operating cit stems help us protect ourselves?
Speaker 2: OS security is foundational. It starts with basic user and group management, knowing the difference between a local account versus a Microsoft account in Windows and the different permission levels standard user, administrator guests.
Speaker 1: Right, don't give everyone admin rights.
Speaker 2: Please don't. And login methods have evolved beyond passwords. We have pins biometrics like fingerprint or facial recognition, though you need the right hardware for those like a Windows Hello camera and single sign on sso simplifies logins across multiple services. Then there's controlling access to files and folders using NTFS permissions versus share permissions, understanding how inheritance works. Best practices are vital restrict permissions, disable the guest account, set lockouts after failed login attempts, use screen locks, change default admin passwords, disable auto run. The list goes on. It's all about layers of defense.
Speaker 1: That's a lot for desktops, but what about our phones? We carry our lives on them. How do we lock those down effectively?
Speaker 2: Mobile security is just as critical. Basic hardening includes using strong screen locks, face ID fingerprint a good pin, not just a simple swipe pattern, and definitely enable device encryption. Keeping the OS and your apps updated via patch management is non negotiable. Security fixes come out all the time. Endpoint security apps like anti virus aren't as common for personal phones, but at a layer, and the remote actions are crucial if your phone is lost or stolen.
Speaker 1: Like find my iPhone or the Android equivalent exactly.
Speaker 2: Locator apps plus the ability to remotely wipe your data or trigger a remote backup, and as we mentioned MDM helps businesses enforce policies be aware of threats too, like ransomware locking your files, or trojans hiding malware and legit looking apps. Vigilance is key, okay.
Speaker 1: And when it's time to get rid of an old device or hard drive, just deleting isn't enough.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not Deleting files just marks the space as available. The data is often still recoverable. Proper data destruction is vital. For old magnetic hard drives, degaussing uses a powerful magnet to wipe them clean. Very effective, But for any drive magnetic or SSD physical destruction shredding it is the most certain method.
Speaker 1: So I take a hammer to it.
Speaker 2: Huh, Well, maybe professionally shredded is better, Especially for businesses. Using a certified third party vendor who provides proof of destruction is often the way to go for compliance reasons. Don't just throw old tech in the bin.
Speaker 1: Good advice, okay. One last area beyond the tech skills, how we interact with people, especially when providing it support is super important too.
Speaker 2: Isn't it hugely important? Professionalism and communication can make all the difference. Simple things like appearance, stressing appropriately for the work environment. But even more critical is language. Avoid technical jargon and acronyms when talking to non technical users. It just confuses and intimidates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speak plain English exactly.
Speaker 2: Clarify what the user is telling you, ask open ended questions, restate the problem in your own words to make sure you understand. Use discretion and managing expectations is key. Give realistic timelines, keep people updated on progress, offer options, provide documentation if needed, and always follow up.
Speaker 1: So it's not just fixing the problem but managing the whole.
Speaker 2: Interaction precisely, and in some cases like security incidents, it also involves properly identifying and preserving evidence. It's about building trust and solving the problem effectively and professionally.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, we've covered a ton of ground today, from how your phone knows where it is, to the protocols running the internet, the guts of our computers, printers, troubleshooting and crucial security. Really peeling back the layers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot, but hopefully it gives you, the listener a stronger foundation. Understanding these core ideas really does empower you. You can navigate your tech better, maybe troubleshoots simple problems yourself, make smarter decisions about devices and security. Whether you're in it or just curious, it helps bridge that gap. Knowledge is power, as they say, especially when you understand why.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, which leads to a final thought for you to chew on. With technology changing so incredibly fast, what do you think the next fundamental core IP skill will be. What's the next essential thing we'll all need to understand and how might it change how we use our tech every day.
Speaker 2: That's a great question to ponder. It really makes you think about the future. We encourage you to reflect on how all this tech stuff plays out in your own life, maybe dig a little deeper on topics that caught your interest. The learning never really stops in this field.