Speaker 1: Seven six on a Friday Extra Special Friday, the Return of Brigha McGowan from the Hudson Institute. Is also a professor of the University of Mina University and he is an energy expert. Charge Conversations is the name of his podcast. I strongly encourage you to follow that one hear what he has to say about energy policy. Brigha McGowan, It is fantastic seeing you in studio, my friend. I appreciate your willingness to come on in and talk to my listeners of me today.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Brian, thanks for having me in the studio. It's an honor to be back here and happy to be back in America too.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's where I was going, because I understand he just came back from a conference in France. It wasn't on economics, you say, generally speaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, generally speaking on economics, and of course we know that energy is a key component to economics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, learning about that in Germany, where they apparently have fallen off the map in terms of production capabilities because of the unsteady reality of energy and how outrageously expensive they've made it. I don't necessarily want to dive onto them first. But I mean I said, I kind of figured that if the conclusion of this hour together, I was going to reach the boiled down proposition or conclusion that Europe in the European Union is a cautionary tale for what a roadmap for what we should not do here in the United States.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you know, I think a lot of us think fondly on Europe and we're like, oh wow, you know, they're so advanced in this or that, and you know when it comes to energy and frankly more and more on general policies. In general, Europe is not the leader, they're the laggard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we always talk about how great our relationship is, and yes, they are our allies. We do have defense agreements with NATO aligned countries, and we did rebuild them in the aftermath of the World War Two. But you know, it's kind of like Vietnam. You know, we expected him to go full on commune and we lost, you know, fifty four plus thousand American men fighting that battle to stop the Red scourge, and we didn't. But it really is more of a kind of like European nation. We trade with them, we exchange with them, we have they are I would say more capitalists than communists. So the world's turned out to be an interesting thing. But as contrast to the Europe. Europe we expected to be this great capitalist bastion and free markets and everything like that, but they've drifted away from that into this full on socialism. They you know, the value add attacks all them edicts and mandates. I know you're I know, UK is no longer in the European Union. But if you want a great illustration of how micromanaged people's lives are, watch Clarkson's farm. Have you seen that show?
Speaker 2: I have Jeremy Clarkson, And you know, it's, uh, it's funny, but it's sad exactly.
Speaker 1: You can't help but laughing. But you know, the the just the absolute micro management of literally anything he does on his own private property. It's they're just obsessed with it. But that's like the European Union. I mean, that's just the way they are. It is absolutely like the EU.
Speaker 2: And you know what's really sad about the UK is you know there our law is founded on their law of generalities, not you know, the Napoleonic Code very specific, the Germans very specific. You kind of get that, but this has even happened in the UK, which, by the way, they are very happy to say they have phased out coal, and they're less happy to say that they have the highest energy prices in all of Europe.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and they go hand in hand. I mean, you need inexpensive, reliable, emphasis on reliable energy production. If it ain't reliable, the lights are gonna go out, They're gonna be rolling blackouts, and that's you run into that you don't have some efficient, affordable support have energy clearly stated. Natural gas and coal are reasonably affordable and readily available and provide regular, unstoppable power production. Solar panels, windmills do not. And then they always want to exclude nuclear from the discussion. At least France has more nuclear plants and they can safely say that, look, we've got reliable energy production. But you can't say that in Germany. No, you can't say that in Germany.
Speaker 2: And you know, this is what happens when you know, people's politics get into policy, and Germans have always had an adverse reaction to nuclear power.
Speaker 1: It's been part of the their their.
Speaker 2: Green Party, which was until recently part of the governing coalition, and so the greens were given, you know, the Economic Ministry, which includes their climate and energy ministries, and they're like, you know, no, we're phasing all this stuff out. We're shutting down our nuclear power plants.
Speaker 1: But their mindset is stuck in you know, Chernobyl era or seventies era three Mile Island type mindset where yeah, there was some problems, but we don't have that technology anymore. We've got modern, safe, efficient, reliable, very little to no waste nuclear power production the form of these small modular reactors that can literally go anywhere and don't take up that much space.
Speaker 2: They don't and you know, speaking of that, the Trump administration is working toward adding four hundred gigawatts of nuclear power onto our grid by by mid century. So nuclear power. You're right. You know, I love classic cars, right, but you know all my dad's old nineteen sixty six Mustang was a great one, but it didn't exactly have the same features so modern car has.
Speaker 1: That's so funny you bring that up, because I am a huge fan of late sixties Mustang Fastbacks and my dad had a friend who did basically a rotisserie restoration on a sixty seven Mustang Fastback and he knew I loved him, and he said, I know he doesn't want to buy it, but he's walking to come over here and drive it. Like, oh my god, I've never been able to drive one. So my son and I went over to his house hopped in this thing, and I was so excited. Pulled out on a knee road and I ended up driving about four miles. I pulled back in his drive. He said, well, that was a short trip. I said, yeah, and my bubble is completely burst. Yeah. I mean you got to plan on breaking, you know, I mean, a know, four wheel disc brakes on that sucker, no power steering at all. It just it was like driving around in an empty coke can. Yes, just loud and flimsy. I mean, you know, it's like I take a modern car all day long over this rick anything.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, my dad's was a a convertible and I really thought the chassis was going to come off the frame.
Speaker 1: For reason to modern cars, Yeah, but that was the norm back then, right, So to your point, a nineteen sixties nuclear power plant is not the same thing as a brand new power plant. The fuel is different.
Speaker 2: You know, nuclear fuel today is only enriched by three maybe four percent.
Speaker 1: It's not like the old stuff, not like what the Uranians were producing.
Speaker 2: No, no sixty plus for peaceful Yeah, yeah, whatever, it's not. And you know the way the reactors work today, they're just they're just far different. And you know, really, America needs to build these SMRs. They even have microreactors, and frankly, we need to keep building the large ones too. And there's a good new advanced gen it's called a Westinghouse design reactor that can produce a lot of power. So we need all of that. Yeah, and why not.
Speaker 1: It doesn't produce carbon for those people who are worried about carb production, and I think bring them. This is illustrative of the reality that they the left the green. They don't want inexpensive, abundant energy that creates comfort. It it bolsters the middle class, It makes living easier, more enjoyable, more comfortable. It creates wealth. And that's all the antithesis of what they want.
Speaker 2: It is they all want us to live in a communal society and be dependent upon the government and not drive, not have our own lifestyle because they are not free, open market society, wealth generation people.
Speaker 1: That's not their stick. Yeah, because capitalism destroys the planet or whatever. And the key to capitalism and wealth and abundance is inexpensive abundant electricity. So we'll continue to bring McCallan. He's going to give you a fun fact speaking of France, which is where he was for this economic conference conference, Franci's gross domestic product. Where does that stand relative to the United States and the rest of the world. You'll be blown away by this, when at least I was seven to fifteen right now. If you have Kcity talk station plumb type plumbing, they know you deserve better. They deliver on better, better customer service, better plumbing, better prices, no service fees, free estimates. It's everything you can want in a plumbing company. Been around for a long long time locally you know and operated and naplus with a better business bureau. Of course they do tankless a great way to go speaking of energy policy. Tankless will save you money, also provide you endless hot water. That's a great feature to have, especially if you've got a small tank and you're running out, or you have a growing family, uh, or you want to save some space. You're looking for some space, get rid of the entire hot water heater tank and go tankless. About the size of a suitcase hanging on the wall and not a very big suitcase either, So multiple reasons to go tankless. And again you're working with the tri State's number one installer. Tankless plumb Tight also trenchless sewer line repair. No dig technology to replair or replace that sewer line. Just a couple of things offered from plumb Tight experts in all things residential plumbing. It's plumbing done Right five one three, seven two seven tight ti it e five one three, seven, two seven eighty four eighty three Online you find them at plumtight dot com.
Speaker 3: Fifty five krc our iHeart True.
Speaker 1: Here is your Shannon nine first one with a forecast sunny, hot and humid day ninety for the high feeling more like upper nineties. Maybe an isolated shower showing up overnight clear mile seventy one Tomorrow afternoon showers and storms following mostly sunny start of the day with the high on ninety one. Overnight lowes seventy described as muggy and mostly cloudy, and they say to expect rain on Sunday it'll be cloudy at least partly cloudy. Otherwise eighty eight for the high then right now seventy two degrees. Let's hear about traffic.
Speaker 4: Conditions from the u SEE Health Traffic Center. You see Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation.
Speaker 3: Learnmore at you see health dot com.
Speaker 4: There's an accident to seventy five westbound at the Ward's Corner road. It's on the left shoulder, a stall two seventy five westbound at level of Madeira. It's on the right side, and the accident's seventy five seven where the Brent Spence Bridge has cleared but launched for residual delays. I'm Heather Passco on fifty five kre SEE the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven nineteen to fifty five cair CD talk station. And by the time I see with Briga mcow from the Hudson Institute Energy policy expert, he is and he has a Charged Conversations podcast which I recommend you listen to, speaking about France. As we exited the segment, Brigham, you let me now, let's give France the props for getting sixty seven percent of their power from nuclear energy and that is an example of how you can have secure low carbon energy leadership. It's in the European Union. Germany's decided it's phasing out it's nuclear plants for reasons completely unknown, while it has one of the highest energy prices in the entire European Union. France I have gone the other way, relying on nuclear power a lots. That's great. Use them as an example. Have you had any problems with nuclear power in France? The answer no, right, no.
Speaker 2: In fact, the only problem you've had is because the grids are starting to be interconnected. The French are complaining because Germans want more and more electricity from France.
Speaker 1: Save me from myself, France.
Speaker 2: So they had that, and then the French had to restart Spain after it's bread went down too.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, well, thank god they had the nuclear power to provide enough that they have extra for everyone else. So I'm going to vivek Ramaswami when he was on the program, and I've talked to him several times about this. He wants to know how to be the leader in nuclear power so much so that we can actually have an abundance to sell to the idiots in the Northeast region who keep going the opposite direction facing power outages. So maybe some hopeful the state of Ohio here but pivoting over to France as a model while they do rely on nuclear power to their success. From an economic standpoint, I could not believe what you told me before the show started. Let my listeners know this fun fact. Yeah, you know, it's interesting. I didn't realize this fact. In France, the media and household income is between twenty five and thirty thousand euro that's about twenty eight to thirty two thousand dollars after tax, with a poverty rate of fourteen percent. Basically that aligns with Mississippi, whose nominal GDP per capita is forty one thousand and median household incomes fifty four thousand, with a pretty similar poverty rate. Well, so the entire country of France and everything that they build and produce gives you that standard of living. They've they've made it up there. And I'm not knocking Mississippi.
Speaker 2: I've got a kid that goes and goes to Ole, miss and you know, it's a great state. But when you think of France, right, you think of one of the largest countries in Europe. I don't think you think, well, yeah, they're about as rich as Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's really really hard to believe. So what else did you learn at this conference? What was some of the takeaways you got from.
Speaker 2: Being well, yeah, yeah, I mean, well it was a great Honestly it was. You know, it's real thrilled to be invited to it. You know, almost nine thousand attendees on side one and a half million online views already.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, so people do look at this.
Speaker 2: And the the good takeaway is people are starting to say, hey, we have to sort of become more realistic. In fact, the theme was the shock of reality, and the literal translation from French is it offends it offends me this this lack of reality. But then they immediately go down the rabbit hole of gosh, we need more regulations, and if we did more regulations, that would make us better and more competitive. And you know, I told them that they had it wrong. You need less regulation, You need to unleash innovation, and and that that never comes from the federal government trying to regulate something.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't. They're not they're not interested in in in improving lives or coming up with new ideas. And honestly, anytime anytime something new comes out that there's a demand for, that becomes popular, the federal government decides or the state government's decide, well, we're going to tax that. And why is that? Why are you treating that particular category or product as outside of the normal product. Well, because it's new, that's why. Yeah, I mean, vapes come to mind, and I know people are against vapes or in favor of apes for whatever reason, but you know, it's an alternative tobacco. Nicotine is not illegal. It's a nicotine delivery product. So why would you treat that any different than if you decided to open a chewing gum manufacturing company and sell chewing gum. Do you tax chewing gum at a twenty percent higher rate just because it's chewing gum? No? But you see, it's new.
Speaker 2: You know you have this in Europe And in fact, one of the complaints is, well, energy prices are too high, so we will just put a cap on how high energy prices can be.
Speaker 1: And I'm like you, guys, you're economists.
Speaker 2: Do you not understand the law of supply and demand? Guys, nine economists at this, and they come up with that. They yeah, they come mom, Donnie. And then on the opening session there was a gentleman from a Council of Economic Advisors on the White House who's probably a career person, not necessarily a politically appointed person. White House has more career people that work there than you know, politically appointed people. And a lady on stage who's a member of the EU Parliament from France was just going after him for Trump and he's rude and obnoxious and this is not how you treat friends. And he said, oh, well, don't treat friends by having disparate trade policies. You don't treat friends by singling out American companies. You don't, You're not friends by And the more he said in a logical fashion, the more she emotionally.
Speaker 1: I thought she was going to helicopter off the stage through the roof. That's what happens when they're confronted with logic and reason. Yeah, the name calling and the broadbrush painting falls apart under any thoughtful analysis and they're left with literally nothing to defend their position with, so they start screaming and calling names.
Speaker 2: And yes, and actually a couple other French panel members chastised her and said, look, you know, the game has changed. Trump has done positive things for Europe. We've not been paying for our defense for fifty years. And if you look at it from America's perspective, they've been guaranteeing European security for over one hundred years.
Speaker 1: So and what did it deliver us a whole block of basically socialist, micromanaged countries.
Speaker 2: Well, instead of spending money on defense, they've been spending it on all their social programs.
Speaker 1: Into the logical argument on that, why would they want to be beholden to the United States of America for their security?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know, the reality is they felt the end of the Soviet Union it was all good.
Speaker 1: I've always used that our moral barometer ended when the Soviet Union fell. It really did. But you've got Brian.
Speaker 2: You have other countries like Poland, who since the fall of communism have seen their economy increase ninefold. They're now in the top twenty of all countries in the world. Because the Central and Eastern European people get it, because they're not so far removed from.
Speaker 1: It, they remember it like it was yesterday. Do not go down that road or back down that road is the case. Maybe mor Briga mcgawan and seven twenty six up and seven twenty seven right now fifty five cares to the detoxation. Another opportunity for minute of place. I mentioned a place where you can kind of relax and get into the mindfulness, prayer, full mood, and that's the Gate of Heaven Catholic Cemetery, Montgomery beautiful, beautiful landscaping. It's an ideal space to reflect on life. And that's why they, I mean, they promote that message life at all stages, not just the idea it's a cemetery and you're visiting someone who's passed on, although that's certainly a point of it, but to just contemplate life and the beauty of life, and the importance of life, and the importance of maybe taking a moment to exhale and engage in that meditation or prayer in this gorgeous, gorgeous environment. And they invite you to do just that. Everyone is welcome at Gate of Heaven Cemetery to reflect, prey and enjoy the beautiful, the beauty of God's creation right there again on Montgomery Road. Online you can learn all kinds of information at the website. It's Gate of Heaven dot org. That's gateof Heaven dot org. Fifty five car the talk station. Did you know here is your Channel nine first morning Wether forecast going to be a sunny day to day, hot and humid ninety degrees for the high, feeling more like upper nineties with the heat index. Isolated showers are a possibility. Overnight clear, mild seventy one, mostly sunny start of the day tomorrow, but they're expecting afternoon showers and storms ninety one for the high. Muddy overnight mostly clouds in the lull of seventy and then they say expect rain on Sunday, partly body skies otherwise I have eighty eight right now, it's seventy two. In time for traffic update.
Speaker 3: From the u See Health Traffic Center.
Speaker 4: You See Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation.
Speaker 3: Learn more at you see health dot com.
Speaker 4: We do have an accident to seventy five west found after Ward's Corner Road. It's on the left shoulder, and an accident I seventy five northbound after the Lachland split. The left lane is blocked, so watch for these to slow downs. I'm Heather Pasco on fifty five krc the talk Station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty one, fifty five KRCV talk Station, Happy Friday. Brian Thomas here with Hudson Institute and Miami University professor Brigham McGowan talking energy policy on his return from the Economic Summit in Europe. Wildly popular. Nine thousand attendees that are economists and other noted notables like Brigha McGowan. More than a million and a half online viewers so far, three hundred journalists showing up. Talk about economic policy, Energy policy included. And did the subject of the European Unions and NATO's security come up, because you got this little pesky thing called Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and I know they're all incensed about it, and they keep looking to us to provide Ukraine with more weapons, even though there are very few Ukrainian soldiers left to operate them. Russia continues to make advances. It's been a brutal bloodbath for both sides. It just looks awful. But since Ukraine is not a member of NATO, they're not part of the European Union. They just happen to be sort of right there. Has it brought about me? Is there any concern awakening over security? Clearly there has been a move in the right direction where they're going to start defending themselves or at least have the ability to defend themselves with this five percent GDP allocation for military reasons and security reasons. But what about how does this relate to energy policy? You'd think that the nord pipeline or nothing. Yeah, the was it? The nord pipeline, Nordstream Nordstream pipeline got blown up at the outset of the conflict, Russian energy was shut off and depriving the European Union of But then they had to do workarounds to continue to get and support Russia's military by buying their fuel supply. I mean, it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: You know, it really doesn't end for if you go back to the Soviet Union days, they were so cash strapped. They operated in two different worlds. They had their political military world and then.
Speaker 1: They had the hey buy our.
Speaker 2: Energy and you know, we promise you will never use that as an instrument, and they didn't. Putin's not the same guy, and he's leveraging everything he can. And again, after the end of the Cold War, germany first policy was let's talk about renewables, but let's buy as much cheap oil and gas from Russia as we can possibly get in both Nordstream one and Nordstream two, where German projects, where the former Chancellor of Germany, Gearhart Schroeder was actually on the Russian board trumpeting all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah nothing here, move along, you know.
Speaker 2: So uh yeah, And Merkle had this German first policy and it completely backfired him because it's the don't keep all your eggs in one basket. Diversification of supply is very definition of energy security plus affordability.
Speaker 1: Well, look, administration's change, the trouve administration taking a hard line on Europe and it's the need to defend itself. They didn't do that before. So you have a new president in Vladimir Putin that's not the former Soviet Union's dictator. He is using energy as a weapon. You don't have to drop a bomb, just slip the energy switch off. Ah, sucks to be you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The you know what has surprised me over all this is the naivete In Europe. Yeah, these pieces and you know, but you know, Brian, their adults, they understand this because part of the joke in Europe is, well, a great crisis in the world happens, and we Europeans go to the cafe and have a latte and complain about it. Meanwhile, we expect you guys in Washington, DC to do something about it. It's learned helplessness. It's like you're an all kid living in your basement. Mom and dad are buying everything for you.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and again we're the ones providing them with security. Yeah, I mean, we're the armed forces. We are the police department in essence for the European Union, and we have been for years and years and years. And again I would be in a very I'd be extremely unsettled as a European to have that as my reality. WHOA what a second, like using energy as a weapon. What if the United States wants to flip the switch, which is kind of what Donald Trump is sort of doing in the sense that he's not providing Ukraine with weapons. Well now he is, but you know, and he could cut off the European Union in so far as defense is concerned.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and just yesterday, Secretary of State Mark or Rubio said, hey, look, we're we're trying to deliver more weapons to Ukraine, but the Europeans haven't responded by increasing production, and we're looking at giving them another Patriot missile battery. But we can't get to Europeans to offer up their own patriot missile battery. Right so it's you know, it's talk but no action.
Speaker 1: No action, action mor with Briga McCallan. It's something thirty five right now. If you have KCD talk station, get in touch with my friends at Chimneycare Fireplace and Stove for anything related to Chimney's fireplaces. Free standing stoves would waste Pela stoves. Do you want to buy one they've got on the showroom, But think about your safety right now, because summer's a great time to do that. Since I'm presuming you're not using your fireplace or you're free standing stove, do it. Have them do a free exterior evaluation of your chimney. You may have water damage issues going on that you don't know about. How much time do you spend up there on your roof. I spend zero time on my roof, so I let the chimneycare fireplaces of stove folks, do that xterior's inspected. They'll give you a clean bill of health or let you know if there's a problem. They can fix anything they identify by way of problems. That's a free inspection. Woodburners out there, Get rid of the creosode, get rid of the build up, and save yourself from well maybe a house fire. That can happen with a chimney fire, So avoid the reality of a chimney fire. There's a bunch of creosode building up in there. Maybe how long has it been since you had it swept? Got a special going on right now? Woodburning sweep and evaluation only one hundred and sixty nine dollars ninety nine cents plus tax, giving you extraordinary peace of mind. Full video camera inspection couple with the certified chimney sweep leave you in great condition so you can hit the ground running when the temperatures ultimately drop. Online chimneycarecode dot com. You can book an appointment right there, learn about what they sell on the showroom and the other services they offer, or call them for the appointment five one, three, two four eight ninety six hundred a plus with a better Business Bureau five one, three, two four eight ninety six hundred fifty five KRC dot com Channel nine. First morning weather forecast. Go to Hotland today ninety degrees real degrees and then upper nineties is what it's going to feel like. They say that whole pest et index because it's going to be mostly sunny, hot and humid. Isolated showers later today as well, clear skies over night. Seventy one be low ninety one to high tomorrow with a sunny start of the day followed by some afternoon showers and storms. Mostly clouds over night, muggy and seventy and rain is expected on Sunday eighty eight for the high, with the next break in humidity predicted to be Wednesday. Right now seventy two degrees.
Speaker 4: Time for traffic from the u SEE Health Traffic Center. You See Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation. Learn more at you seehealth dot com. An accident this morning I seventy five northbound after the Lachland split blocks your left lane, and that's why we're seeing delays from Town Street there's also an accident on I two seventy five westbounder for Ward's Corner Road that blocks the left shoulder. I'm Heather Pasco on fifty five KRC the talk.
Speaker 1: Station fifty five care City Talk Station, Get your podcast un Charged Conversations with my guests today Brigham Agawan and Studio talking energy policy on the Heels was returned from the Economic Forum in Europe in France, where I understand the European Union, addition to all these other crazy policies, wants to get rid of air conditioning. I understand this is just ninety some odd degrees. And they held this conference outside, yeah, out of doors as they were saved doors.
Speaker 2: And well, you know, it was in the in the south of France and excellent Provence, which the Provence region is well known for its rose and lavender fields, and it's it's very French to throw up massive tents and in this park we had four different amphitheaters going. But yeah, it was it was warm, it was above average, and uh they blamed it on climate change, well a few people did. And then a couple of days later the mister winds picked up, which is also a normal weather phenomenon when the high pressures move off, and uh, we got nice cold winds from the Alps sweep down. So that's climate change too change. It was really nice, but yeah, to your point, and to be fair, you know, in most European countries you don't have two parties, you have six eight ten, and so a far left French politician on the green side called for the elimination of air conditioning because, uh, you can conserve your way to prosperity right by producing less. And that was one of the points I made, is economic security depends on you having all the stuff you need. Energy is part of that. Energy abundance brings prosperity. They don't want prosperity, they don't and the energy scarcity equals poverty, folks. Exactly, It's that straightforward.
Speaker 1: I mean, I suppose, by some twisted circuitous route, if you take air conditioning out of the equation and power was not being generated for air conditioning, that extra unused power that used to go to air conditioning could be used to serve the means of production unless you could become more abundant. Brigham, how about that?
Speaker 2: I guess, So I guess they're leaving aside the fact that thousands of elderly in Europe die every year from the black from heat, and you're not you're not, well, that's true too.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll probably next want to get rid of heat in the winter time possibly.
Speaker 2: But you know, the other thing I figured out is in Europe, air conditioning doesn't necessarily mean air cooling. I'm like, it's hot in here, and like, well, yes, we're conditioning the air. We're removing like a dehumidifire, not actually cooling anything.
Speaker 1: So the exacerbating factor of the extra moisture will be removed, but the temperature will remain the same. That's why one hundred and ten degrees doesn't feel hot when you're in Arizona, because it's it's a dry yeah, right, it's a dry heat. And you know, this gets back to Brian.
Speaker 2: Look, if if I don't know, pick solar power, pick wind energy, if it were awesome, if it were inexpensive, if it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, uh, no need for subsidies.
Speaker 2: People buy things that they want to buy, right if people made what folks want to buy. And I say, well, you know, but we just don't know what's good for us, so we have to introduce all of these levers and put your finger on the scale and move stuff around. By the way, the energy credit, if now's the time to get your solar power or your your tesla what do they call that the battery backup system? Because that thirty percent tax credit that Joe Biden put in is over at the end of this year. Yeah, your fingers on the scale, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you know I had to the shirt. I had to give it to my daughter because it sent to me the wrong side. Good ideas do not require force or coercion, and tax incentives and rebates and things of that nature caused people to do something that otherwise would not have done. Exactly, you're trying to do this electric vehicle in my family's best interest, considering what I need, the range, and all that these logical things we walk through in terms of the selection of a vehicle, and then you got, well, it's going to cost me ask for this internal combustion engine car, but I can get seventy five hundred dollars off if I go that direction and get an electric vehicle. You end up buying one of those and then struggle with the downside realities.
Speaker 2: Of it, absolutely, and you know, just just to be fair to you and the listeners, I own a Tesla.
Speaker 1: I've got one. I know you did.
Speaker 2: I've had one six years, right, early adopter. It's cool, it's fun, it's fast. But a recent study just came out that said the same three issues that we're plaguing people wondering whether they wanted to buy an electric car are still there. Range, how I'm charging it, and the fact that when it's too hot or too cold, you can take that battery and discount it by thirty to fifty percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a huge limitation.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's great for around town. I love my car. I've actually driven it Brian across the country. I'll have to tell you about that another day. But it wasn't easy.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you. I can figure out my head spin it through all the scenarios and proms you to go through a coffee break. We're in the hell's a charging station, Yeah, you get a parking Maybe hopefully you brought a lot of like Mitchener length novels or Dostoyevsky novels to keep your keep you busy for those multiple hour pauses. We'll continue one more with brighamcallan after a quick word for speaking of electric perfect timing for the segment spot Color Electric family units since nineteen ninety nine. They do a great job. Andrew Collins is somewheed a fantastic team, a well oiled, efficient team of licensed electricians. They enjoy a plus with a better businessman because the customer service is great, the work is great. It'll meet your satisfaction. The heck, you're going to get a ten year wiring warranty on whatever it is they do for you. Have your backup generator installed by column. They did that for me. Outstanding job and a bigger job than I thought it was going to be. Knob and tube wiring replacement, aluminum wiring placement, wiring up your man cave, your sh shack, handlight installations, outlets, anything big or small. You're in the best possible hands. It's wiring and done right. They know how to do the wiring job, and again the price is right. Five one three two two seven four one one two five one three two two seven four one one two. Online you can find them at Cullum CEE, U l E and Colin Electriccincinnati dot com. Fifty five KRC. The Talk station Jenna nine onether forecasts. It's going to be hot today. A ninety genuine degree is feeling more like upper nineties because it's going to be very humid today. Mostly sunny Sky's isolated shower is possible, clear and mild over night seventy one to the low ninety one to the high tomorrow. Sunny started day with afternoon showers and storms, clouds and muggy conditions overnight with the LOLd seventy and the next state to expect rain on Sunday high of eighty eight seventy two degrees. Right now.
Speaker 4: Traffic time from the UCE Health Traffic Center. You See Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation.
Speaker 3: Learn more at u seehealth dot com.
Speaker 4: There's still an accident on I seventy five North Bend after the Lachland Split, blocking the left lane. You're slow from Town Street. Also on two seventy five West Man Afterwards Corner Road, there's an accident with all vehicles on the left side.
Speaker 3: I'm Heather Pasco on fifty five KRC the talk.
Speaker 1: Station seven to fifty Right now, if you've have KRCD talk station and hope you having a wonderful Friday. Coming up out for cop and news Congressman David Taylor, the return of Congressman Taylor to talk about the great, big, beautiful Bill and what things are good in there, and I know there's a lot of good in there, and of course maybe not, of course, but if you're just finding out. Jack Windsor, editor in chief of the Ohio Press Network, returns at the bottom of the hour eight thirty to talk about veto over rides in the budget, something we talked about with Donald and Neil from Americans for Prosperity earlier in the week. He can listen to the podcast fifty five KRC dot com plus small business owners in Ohio are struggling to fill jobs. Jack will be talking about that as well in the meantime from the Hudson ins Too Final online at Hudson dot org. Doing some great work at the Hudson Institute, Briga mcgawan and studio about his trip to Europe and the dysfunction that he witnessed in Europe in terms of energy policy, their pursuit of zero carbon emissions, and we didn't talk a whole lot about the auto industry, but the European Union really really really driving the insanity going on in the automobile world with regard to European manufacturers moving all the way over and embracing electric technology. I know Swagen has Audi of course, one of the same umbrella. Porsche's moved a lot over to electric, and I even have read a bunch of articles they make several different electric versions of the cars over Porsche. But the cutoff date for the internal combustion engine I think as respects that Cayman and the Boxer was supposed to be. I think this was the last year of internal combustion production, going electric next year. But they're going like, well, hold on, hold on, the demand isn't there. Maybe this is not a road we want to go down. But the only reason they're going down that road is because the edicts and mandates from the European Union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very true, and I think you know, they also presume, based on Biden policies that we were mirroring. Really he was adopting and mirroring what Europe was doing, and we had executives from Daimler there, from Volkswagen. As you point out, which owns a lot of different brands as well as BMW was there and they're rethinking their strategy because they've admitted privately that the sales of EV's have dropped. They got excited in the beginning, but what they failed to realize is there is this early adoption period where a lot of people want to try it out, and the age of early adoption ended about a year ago. So EV sales, even with these incentive has been falling fairly flat. And you know, Ford Blue is losing their shirt on on their EV side. So I expect to see a change of heart I suspect coming up because they're just not going to get the market penetration and saturation that they want.
Speaker 1: And again, if you want to drive an EV, you.
Speaker 2: Got an extra stall in the garage, one around town car fine. But these mandates have been overturned. The Trump administration has reversed its tailpipe emission rule, which we called the.
Speaker 1: The f EV mandate and mandate.
Speaker 2: So that's all been reversed and we're getting back to you know, if you build something the consumer wants to purchase and have at.
Speaker 1: It, it's exactly right. And the other elephant in the room. You talk about the European Union thinking we were going to go in that same you know, mindless direction towards the full adapt to our adoption of electric and the decarbonization. New administration. Going back to the point, administration change, people's attitudes change. They reflect back on maybe this isn't a good idea. Look what happened in Europe. Let's not go down that road. So we've got rid of the EV mandates effectively. Good, they see that. But for me, this whole carbon output, climate change alarmism and the restrictions and the throat cutting that European and westernized countries or developed countries were going, I guess because of guilt or something, they left China and India and the other major polluters out of the equation. Yeah, massive, massive polluters. While we struggle against this Sisophian challenge to get rid of carbon, they're meanwhile building all kinds of brand new coal power plants.
Speaker 2: Well, and this is what concerns me, and our research is indicate if you look at this from a purely power play, right, China has a well documented history of entering to a market, dumping a product at a very cheap price to destroy the domestic industry and then they take over and they raise their prices back up. We've seen it with coal, We've seen it with a lot of diveneurs, which is a big concern. Even if you do want to go to this direction. China controls eighty plus percent of the entire supply chain for renewables. This is not by accident, folks, They were thinking ahead and thinking, yeah, these guys want to do this.
Speaker 1: And guarantee you they are the biggest influence peddlers on the planet in terms of propaganda behind this global climate change crest.
Speaker 2: They are one hundred percent. And so if you take China and India and put them together and CO two is your thing, they're responsible for more than the United States and Europe combined. They're responsible for forty percent of CO two. And while we've been talking, they've probably put another coal power plant online.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and they're loving every minute of it. And they're the ones stirring the pot social media. It's easily accessible from the four corners of the world, and they're going to do that to advance their own best interests because they put their own best interests first, unlike us. Brigham McCowan it has been a pleasure having you. And next time we'll get the story of your cross country trip in your tesla. Apparently it took a little bit longer than you thought. Shocking, absolutely no one. Briga McCown will look fine, and you will find you with Charge Communication or Charge Conversations podcast. Find you at Hudson dot org. And of course your students said Miami University will find you in class when classes in session.
Speaker 2: Brian, thanks very much, and you can also find me on any of the major social media sites. And yeah, love to hear any ideas folks have for our research.
Speaker 1: Wonderful do that. Briga McCown has an open door, folks, stick around. Congressman David Taylor after the top of the hour news followed by Jack Windsor from the Ohio Press Network, It's going to be some good conversation coming up in the next hour. News happens fast, stay up to date. At the top of the hour, going to be complicated, it's going to go very fast and fifty five KRC the Talk State