Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, the pub quiz practice show that hits your pal right in the quizzer. I'm David Flora.
Speaker 2: And I'm Anny Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than there are. John Grisham novels as number one sellers in the nineties for books that year. He dominated at least half.
Speaker 1: The decade and well into the two thousand. Yeah, look it up.
Speaker 2: It's not even the books, you know.
Speaker 1: That's the crazy part. That is the crazy, that's legitimately true. The chamber, the other chamber.
Speaker 2: I can't even think of the chamber pot shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John Grisham. Wow. Anyways, hope you're well. If you're around the Gunnison Crested Butte area, we have live trivia happening on Thursday, October twenty third and tours Day October thirtieth, So come on out to Almont Resort, get a team together. It's free, there's prizes, there's food, there's drinks. Oh boy, it's a good time.
Speaker 2: And if you can't make it to the old Almont, Colorado, we'll do the same spooky Halloween trivia on November first on Zoom so I'll be right after Halloween.
Speaker 1: All Saints Day's zoom trivia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we're holding on to that spirit for one more day before Christmas takes over. Thanksgiving doesn't count as a holiday anymore.
Speaker 1: Too late.
Speaker 2: I know Christmas is already out there.
Speaker 1: It is in the aisles, it is ready to retail. And another happy notes. Here's how the show works. Whiz Quiz Bang Bang's format is four rounds of four questions, each followed by the answers. After round two, will ask a quick fire bang Bang question where you'll have a time limit to give multiple answers. After the fourth round, the show culminates with the big Bang, a final round with three questions whose answers are all clues to one final question. Round one. Question one, the category is music. Jamaican American DJ Cool HRK, the breakout DJ who pioneered using funky drum solos and two turntables setup, is credited as the father of what. Question two category geography. What is the largest landlocked country in the world? Question three category sports? What is the only Major League Baseball team to have never made a World Series appearance? Question four category language. This one comes to us from listener Jeff, Are you Jeff?
Speaker 2: Thank you Jeff.
Speaker 1: What is the term for a string of typographical symbols used in place of an obscenity? And now? The answer is a round one? Question one. DJ cool Hirk is credited as the father of what hip hop? Question two? What is the largest landlocked country in the world? Kazakhstan. It has a coastline on the landlocked Caspian c but it has no access to an open ocean?
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Question three? What is the only MLB team to have never made a World Series appearance? The Seattle Mariners. It was right there, right there. Question four? What is the term for a string of typographical symbols used in place of an obscenity? A grawl likes gr A W L I x.
Speaker 2: I. Wonder who the first person was to be like? This is a swear word? Now?
Speaker 1: Probably a comic strip artist, probably.
Speaker 2: Round two. Question five. The category is history from ancient Greek for old and stone. The period in human prehistory that is distinguished. The original development of stone tools is known by what pe term? Question six? The category is television. Which infamous TV character was inspired by ali Al Yagana, an Iranian American who ran soup Kitchen International on West fifty fifth Street in New York City. Question seven, the category is music. This question comes from listener Sarah. Thank you, Sarah, Thank you Sarah. Who is the best selling Irish solo artist despite never performing concerts? Question eight? The category is food and drink. Dehydrated broth or stock formed into small cube shapes are non by what b term? And now the answer is to round two. Question five from ancient Greek for old and stone. The period in human prehistory that is distinguished by the original development of stone tools is known by what term Palaeolithic age? Question six? Which infamous TV character was inspired by Ali al Jegana the soup Nazi from Seinfeld? Apparently he was originally offended by the portrayal, but has since embraced it. I mean, that's probably one of the most famous episodes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and it was inspired by how he.
Speaker 2: Ran his shop, yeah with no soup for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if he said that or just got in people's faces and kicked him out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Question seven, who is the best selling Irish solo artist despite never performing concerts? And yeah, she is the best selling Irish musician of all, like out of everyone except for you two. So youtwo's number one. She's number two, and she's the highest grossing musician to never have performed a concert like she has a Guinness World Record for not doing concerts. Yeah right, well, but you haven't made as much money off of music.
Speaker 1: I should have.
Speaker 2: You should have been in you You're right question eight. Dehydrated broth or stock formed into small cube shapes are known by what B term Bullion's for.
Speaker 1: The first half, that means it's time for the Bang Bang Round. The category for this week's Bang Bang Round is film. You'll have thirty seconds to give as many answers as you can to the following. There have been six films, including sequels, in the animated film franchise starring the super villain turned secret agent named Grew. Name them. Your time starts now.
Speaker 2: And that's time. The six films are. Despicable Me came out in twenty ten, Me two twenty thirteen, Minions twenty fifteen, it's a spinoff prequel, Despicable Me three came on twenty seventeen, Minions The Rise of Grew twenty twenty two, part of the spinoff prequel, and Despicable Me four twenty twenty four. I've seen the first one. The first one was cute.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've seen any of those. Actually, I think there is another one coming out next year.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I have five movies to watch you.
Speaker 1: Round three. Question nine. The category is Games and Hobbies. Base jumping is the recreational sport of jumping from fixed objects. What does the acronym base stand for? We'll give you two points for each and two bonus points if you get all four. Question ten. The category is awards. This one comes from listener Bobby. Thank you, Bobby, Thank you, Bobby. What international city issues the Nobel Peace Prize? Question eleven, Category Art, which art style does not attempt to represent an accurate depiction of a visual reality, but instead uses shapes, colors, forms, and gestural marks to achieve its effect. Question twelve, Category Science. More than ninety percent of all volcanic rock on Earth is what kind of igneous rock? And now the answers to Round three Question nine, What does the acronym base in base jumping stand for? Buildings? And tennas spans and earth? So it refers to radio masts when it's talking about antenna's bridges when it's talking about spans and cliffs when it's talking about Earth. Question ten? What international city issues the Nobel Peace Prize, Oslo, Norway? Question eleven? Which art style does not attempt to represent an accurate depiction of a visual reality, but instead uses shapes, colors, forms, and gestural marks to achieve its effect? Abstract? Question twelve, more than ninety percent of all volcanic rock on Earth is? What kind of igneous rock basalt? That one was interesting to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is interesting? Round four. Question thirteen. The category is geography. This question comes from Major Data. Thank you Major Data. What's the name of the most populous state of Mexico? Question fourteen. Category is pop culture. What is the name of the interstellar comet and probably not alien mothership that will reach its closest point to the Sun around October thirtieth, twenty twenty five. Question fifteen The category is animals. The tiny Little Kiddy's hog nosed bat has? What nickname? Which Rinsky Korsokov fans should appreciate? Question sixteen. The category is mythology. In mythologies, Ragnarok the serpent Yorman gander defeats and is defeated by which God and now The answer is to round four. Question thirteen, what's the name of the most populous state of Mexico, Mexico. It's the state of Mexico. Officially, it's just Mexico Estatomico. That's right. Question fourteen, what is the name of the interstellar comet and probably not alien mothership that will reach its closest point to the Sun around October thirtieth, twenty twenty five three I atlas. So since it says not an alien mothership, David, do people think it's an alien mothership?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well it's interesting. That's a big deal, like only the third object that's interstellar to enter the Solar System that they know of. And it's big and it's fast. It's interesting to say the least. Right now, I think it's on the other side of the Sun heading out towards Venus, but it's going to fly by Venus and keep on going. Wow, it's just a big hunk of rock.
Speaker 2: It looks like Question fifteen. The tiny little kitty's hog nosed bat has what nickname which Rimsky corsicav fans should appreciate bumblebee bat. I would listen to the flight of the bumblebee bat. Question sixteen. In Norse Pathologies Ragnarok, the serpent Jorman Gander defeats and is defeated by which god Thor.
Speaker 1: Yep Thor dies to Yorman Gander, but manages to kill it so it doesn't eat the world.
Speaker 2: No, that was nice of him. Hopefully he's on that three I Atlas he's dead.
Speaker 1: Well, world's not over yet, so true as it hasn't happened. That's it for the regular rounds. That means it's time for the Big Bang Round. The category for this week's Big Bang Round is Language. We're gonna ask you three questions, the answers of which are all clues to the final question. Keep in mind the three clue questions may not be from the same category as the final one. Question one. In two thousand and four and two thousand and seven, TV Guide ranked What Series, which premiered in nineteen sixty six, as the greatest cult show ever.
Speaker 2: Question two, which nineteen seventy nine film, sees a street gang that escaped from the Bronx back to their home turf on Coney Island after being framed for the murder of a respected gang leader.
Speaker 1: Question three in the Animal Kingdom, Raptors are also known by what three word term.
Speaker 2: And your Big Bang question, what is the most developed fictional language?
Speaker 1: And now the answers to the Big Bang round question one in two thousand and four. In two thousand and seven, TV Guide ranked what series, which premiered in nineteen sixty six, says the greatest cult show ever Star Trick.
Speaker 2: Question two, which nineteen seventy nine film, sees a street gang that escaped from the Bronx back to their home turf on Coney Island after being framed for the murder of a respected gang leader, The Warriors Question three.
Speaker 1: In the Animal Kingdom, raptors are also known by what three word term? Birds of Prey.
Speaker 2: And your Big Bang question, what is the most developed fictional language? The language of the Warrior race who fly in Birds of Prey in the Star Trek universe.
Speaker 1: Cling On, So that language has been developed from both the writing of the show and from Trekki's who've watched it, transcribed it, and you know, figured out how to talk like it. The only problem with that is that it's not terribly conversational because most of the things that you you know from the shows are about either shooting your phasers or beaming someone up or launching torpedoes, or glory to your house. Otherwise you're a patack. I feel like I cling on Bernie Sanders, we'll learn glory to your house. Otherwise you're a patakh. Make sure you an your captain, but not the one percent, only the nine to nine percent. We'll get into stove a Cole. I didn't expect it to cling on Bernie Sanders tonight.
Speaker 2: Are Yeah. I still don't understand how the finances of the Star Trek universe work, because they make a big deal that humans become enlightened and get rid of money, and that the Federation doesn't need money because who cares. But there's definitely like a very strong hierarchy in jobs, you know, like and but I guess you're not doing it for money, just for the you know, better job position. But then like you go to places like Quarks, and he wants money, he's not just going to take good feelings and vibes.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like very heavily capitalistic society, right.
Speaker 2: And so they all go there and they go to Riza, which I'm guessing is also not free, you know, So like I don't know how they accumulate money to go on vacation and go out to bars. But they have money, but they're too enlightened for it. Like I just I'm like, I have questions, but I love how popular the Klingon language is, like kling On Christmas Carol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a there's a handful of people they said that's fluent in it, and some people that are you know, as conversational as you can be, I guess. And this is in comparison to say, the Elvish language that J. R. R. Tolkien came up with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's impressive because it's.
Speaker 1: A lot of decently developed itself. Yeah, but everything every source that I checked on this was pretty much like Klingon's far and away more developed. Yeah, it makes some sense. It's it's been around for a while, not that Lord of the Rings hasn't.
Speaker 2: But well, I don't know if anyone's expanded on what Tolkien did.
Speaker 1: I don't know if, yeah, they have, But but I think there's also something with the media of it. Where it started on a television show had a wide reach. You could hear people talking in it already. His was all on paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if you think that the Klingons stayed all the way back to the original series, and they are all the way through the most modern series and then all the movies and stuff. And then each time they do a new Klingon scene and throw some more words in there, they get a new linguist in there, developing it further. So yeah, it makes sense. I don't know if the Rings of Power are expanding on the Elvish language at all.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, I do feel like the Elvish language has quite a few people who either know a lot of it. I didn't see how fluent people were in it, but it just seemed to insinuate that it just wasn't as developed to be conversational. The Klingon language has developed from the orders and commands to be more conversational itself. Yeah, I don't know. It's interesting, and I was just kind of surprised that Elvish was lagging that far behind. I guess yeah, But you know, like I said, I think it has to do with the introduction of it the medium, and Gene Roddenberry probably had a hand in crafting a lot of it because he was involved through Star Trek the next generation. So from the sixties through the nineties, you know, into the nineties and that. Yeah, that could be why that's more developed, and there's more examples of it, like you said, whereas I think Tolkien came up with an alphabet, but I don't know for sure, you know, just off the top of my head, if he came up with any syntax or grammar.
Speaker 2: I think Tolkien addressed at once where he was like, it was important to me to develop this language, and I was very passionate about it, and I wanted to do it for the book, but I never expected people to want to try to use it as a language. I think he's kind of threw shade at people learning elvisions and things like that. I had a klingon English Dictionary really when I was a kid, so I was nerdy enough to buy that, but that I wasn't nerdy enough to learn anything.
Speaker 1: Or keep the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what happened to it. My parents must have tested at some point, or maybe it's in the storage in it. I don't know, but like I did have it, and I would use it to like look up specific words and stuff. I never was like I'm going to memorize everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it has to do with the quantity of usage too, because they used it, you know, quite a bit in the Peter Jackson films. So you can't say that there's not much grammar syntax from that because they they talk to each other. Oh yeah, sure, but you know those are what at best, six films as opposed to all the episodes that Klingons are in and Star Trek and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Dictionary. Yeah. Star Trek has what like nine different shows now and nine different movies. I can't I don't even know, like twelve.
Speaker 1: You weren't coming out. Yeah, that looks terrible.
Speaker 2: And Starfleet Academy and Stephen Colbert is gonna be in it, oh yea, and Robert Piccardo come on, David.
Speaker 1: No, I'm I'm excited to see him back. But it's set in the Discovery timeline. Oh yeah, for more Star Trek and Tolkien talk talking Tolkien. Has that been done? I'm sure it has.
Speaker 2: That's what Stephen Colbert can do once he's done with the Late Night Show.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should start that up and be like Stephen Colbert, we've started this, Please take over and it's yours. Yeah, we just get royalties for starting talk and Tolkien anyways for more of that, or if you like talking Tolkien, Hey buys Coffee, kodesh Fi dot com, slash quiz Bang Pod. Become a patron if you want even more trivia in your life in your ears Patreon dot com, slash quiz Bang, p A t R e o N dot com slash Quizbang. Five bucks a month gets you an extra episode a month, and even at the one dollar level you get access to ad free episodes. Don't forget zoom Trivia's November first, all Saints Day, Halloween Trivia, Allween Trivia. We're not ready for the Saints yet. Let us know if you need the zoom link. Last time was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we want to give a big shout out to our top three places. In third place we had or more from Girl. In second place we had unseasonably warm and Cleveland, and in first place we had made the time. Good job everybody, and yeah, it was a good turnout.
Speaker 1: And if you ever want to play and are worried about showing a face or talking, don't worry about it. You can always just chat everything. We get our answers through the chat anyway, and all are welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always a super fun crowd. So thanks everyone who came out and played, and we hoped to see you there one of these days.
Speaker 1: For this episode of Quiz Quiz, bank Bang, I've been.
Speaker 2: David Flora Quiz. But yeah, I heard two different reasons. One was that because her music doesn't lend itself to concerts, so that it'd be like technically.
Speaker 1: Get that Orinoco flow.
Speaker 2: Yeah CD or streaming, and then the other one said that she had stage fright, so I don't know which one's true.
Speaker 1: Oh, and she lives in a castle with cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean she's living. Oh yeah, the best life ever, hunk of mothership rock.
Speaker 1: Could be. I'm ready for our new alien overlords.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be funny if it was an alien ship and then all of us would be oh oh, somebody was finally right about this. That cold got it right. Good job.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody's like, why is it wanting to visit Venus? Like, if it's intelligent, it would probably come here.
Speaker 2: No, if it's intelligent, it wouldn't.
Speaker 1: But that's the argument. Yeah, they scanned this planet, found no intelligent life.
Speaker 2: They're like, Venus looks pretty, looks hot. Hot hot,