Speaker 1: I hear something outside my rig and it was loud enough that it woke me up. I could tell it sounded like it was bipedal walking on two legs because of the steps that it was taking. And so I hear it walking around the outside of my rig, and I'm setting up listening very intently.
Speaker 2: And at this point I'm right up where the opening of the tent is, laying on my stomach, kind of looking forward, trying to see out because there's windows, and I'm trying to see out, but it's so dark.
Speaker 1: And I hear it walk up to the annex and it kind of gets the fabric in both hands and stretches it, and I think I gasped, but I was sitting there hyperventilating, terrifying. I was afraid it was fixing to come in the tent and get me.
Speaker 3: This is Bigfoot Crossroads. My name is Matt, and I'd like to welcome Jimmy to the show. Jimmy just got back from an epic adventure. We were just talking about it before I pressed record, and yeah, Jimmy, welcome to the show. Man.
Speaker 1: Thanks Matt, glad to be here Ludrew's show.
Speaker 3: Thanks Man. Yeah, I'm glad we are finally able to hook up like this and man on the hills of a bigfoot outing of a lifetime. Man, tell everybody where you just went this weekend.
Speaker 1: So I just got back Sunday. I left on Wednesday. I went down to Walla Walla, Washington and camped overnight, and then early Thursday got up and headed into the Umatilla National Forest and the Blue Mountains and went in camp near the Paul Freeman site and that iconic video from nineteen ninety four where he's following a trackway at the side of a hill. Camera kind of pans up and you see a bigfoot walk from right to left kind behind a tree, and it turns and looks at him, and he goes, oh, there he goes that film right there. I got to stand in the spot where Paul Freeman stood, kind of explore that area. Now, went out there with a whole group of folks, did some video recording and everything, and then we camped nearby up and some of them camped down in the forest and me and my group camped up in a meadow. We had some futtertinge sounds. Found a possible prince just inside the tree line. Maybe about twenty feet and it was interesting. It wasn't exactly fresh, I don't think, but it was kind of just to the right of a big dead cedar tree, a red seedar, and it was kind of in a position. I was standing there and looking. It had a perfect view of camp where me and some other folks were camp and it could like look around from behind that tree and very easily steep where we were. So we found that one print. We had some kind of crazy before I got there. Now, one of the folks I was with was playing a flute in camp and it attracted a wolf. It was doing a circle around camp, and it was some pretty crazy audio. Oh wow, And I'm sure that was I'm sure that was pretty freaky with a wolf circling near camp there at that point, there were only about two of them there. It was before the main group arrived. But we went up and spent some time on in a meadow on a ridge line doing a thermal viewing along the ridge line where if anybody saw the video Cliff Frockman did last year on the ridge line, we were looking at that exact ridge line that he was at. Epic describes it. It was an amazing experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was crazy. You sent me that short clip that you recorded there at the site. Man, I was really surprised about just how squatchy it looks. Man, there's so much cover and habitat there. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, it's grown up a little bit, Matt. Since it was filmed in ninety four. Just to the left of the tree that the big footsteps up from behind was a tree that called the Christmas Tree. It was about twelve feet tall then and it's quite hit bigger now. What really gotten me though, Matt was kind of walking at that hill. It's it's like maybe fifty feet from the spring. It's just off a dirt road. It's not very far at all. It's a little bit steeper than it looks. And from where he was standing, the video doesn't really it doesn't really come through in the video that he took how close he was. When you get there and you stand in that spot and you can see the whole video running through your head and you see it step out and you hear him in your mind go, oh, there he goes. We're talking like maybe twenty years thirty feet away.
Speaker 3: Wow, And it stops.
Speaker 1: It stops and kind of turns his head and peeks around a tree and looks at him, and then it continues walking off into the brush. So Doug Hicheck, who was famous for doing monster Quests the series before Paul Freeman passed away, Doug Highcheck cleaned that video up, and Paul Freeman continues walking up the trail a little bit and turns a corner and you can see in the video that high Check cleaned up there's a female sas squatch there And I think a lot of people aren't aware of this, but you can see it pick up an rod like a juvenile. You can see the legs come up in the video. So it wasn't just the one big foot that he fel there. There were two others. Yeah, female and a little one. And just knowing you're like standing there was such an iconic thing happened. I got goose bots, so it was pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: Iconic is probably the best word I can think of to describe Paul Freeman and his legacy. Man, you know, I still to this day kind of controversially, you know, the crowd is kind of divided whenever it comes to his evidence and films and everything. But man, I you know, I've always been a fan like you. I've seen that other footage, you know, and it looks like a female picking up a baby to me, And you know, how do you explain that one? Did he have a whole family of people wearing costumes out there in the woods that day? What was going on.
Speaker 1: Exactly? And it's pretty deep out there too. I drove up that trail for probably a half hour where I hit around five thousand feet and went over a little past and that is quite a way's feather ebb. So it's not like people are just hanging out there. And definitely, like back in that time, you wouldn't want to be running around in a suit out there. There's people hutting bear and game and stuff, and you might get shot doing something like that. And then having a whole family dressed up. Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either.
Speaker 3: And apparently we can confirm that there's wolves out there at least now, So there is that What got you started in this whole thing? How'd you get interested in Bigfoot?
Speaker 1: So? I was always kind of interested in it growing up. I was a free range kid in the seventies, and I remember we went to see the Legend of Boggy Creek at the drive in. In the back of the truck. We sat there and watched it. I was kind of hooked since then. Left monsters and stuff when I was a kid, But at some point I kind of grew out of it. About so growing up it was in central Texas and the little town up front. It used to be a little round rock. Remember when it was less than a thousand people, and now it's probably a couple hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's not little now, yeah, not anymore.
Speaker 1: But I remember hearing stories about the hairy Man. There's a hairy Man road there. Yeah. My parents would say, like, you know, I guess I was a free range kid. I'd go out in the morning, come home, but I knew I needed to be home by dark because they and my grandparents would tell me, like, you know, will Jimmy be home before dark? The wooly booger will get you so like Boggie Creek. But then back then I didn't equate Harrymanner Wooly Bookers were bigfoot, right. I thought that was only something out west. I hear that time and time again. I thought maybe it was something else. But then I kind of lost track of all that and grew up and went and did a bunch of stuff. And then I moved to the Pacific Northwest about twenty five years ago after a really bad divorce. I came out here to kind of get my life together and fish in Alaska, and I did that for about three years, and then I met my wife and settled down here and started working for drawingline retailer about ten years ago, so around the time of COVID. COVID hit me really hard because I'm a Type two diabetic and where the whole thing started here in the US is about a mile and a half from my house and right down the street from where my watch works. That nursing home where all those people died. The fire station is literally behind where I live. The fireman and first responders had to be quarantined, so I stayed home and indoors for about eight months. Now. I was already kind of, you know, on the heavy side, but during that period of time, I blew up to about three hundred and fifty pounds and I could barely walk down the hallway. And my wife was like, Jimmy, you got to do something that you're going to die. So I started this weight loss program that dealt with the psychology of eating. And one of the things I learned really early on was something called habit by, where you want to pair something that you enjoy doing with something that you don't. I'd always been interested in photography, and so I decided to pair that with hiking because I wanted to do landscape photography. So I started hiking. My health kind of my feet and knees and stuff got worse. I ended up having to lay out the hiking, but I still wanted to get out there, so I bought a twenty one four Hunner TRD off road and I started overlanding and off roading, and that's where I had my first experience. I was out off roading with a group of friends near Mount Baker and we'd been off roading all day long, and we'd planned on camping together. So there's a in the Baker River Area recreational area. There's a kind of an overflow parking lot for when it's too snowy to get up to where they skied. So we decided we were going to park in that camping or in that parking lot because it was kind of wide open. It was big enough to accommodate all of us, so we set up kind of in a circle around it. Everybody was pretty spread out having a good time. I had just gotten a rooftop tents and it was a big one has like a had a king size plus bed in it. It had an anex that attached to the bottom of it, and then the ladder to go up into the tent was inside the ANX. So everything is going cool. I'm excited, I said it up. I'm excited to sleep in it. And we all go to bed about ten thirty or so, because we're all kind of older. And twelve thirty I hear something outside my rig and it was loud enough that it woke me up. So I'm setting up inside my brig AA. And keep in mind it has a kind of light blocker built into it, so it's extremely dark in there, so dark I can't see my hand. But I hear something that if you've ever been parked on gravel in a vehicle and you turn the tires and it makes it sound, that's what I heard. But there was nobody driving around and I heard this thing that I could tell. It sounded like it was on It was by pedal walking on two legs because of the steps that it was taking. And so I hear it walking around the outside of my rig and I'm setting up listening very intently, and it makes its way around to the passenger side where the annex is. And I really think, Matt, that the reason that picked me for this was because I believe they're curious, and I believe maybe this one had never seen a rooftop tentement annex before. Everybody else was this cant in tents or sleeping in their rigs. But I could hear it. It's like went up to and at this point, I'm right up where the opening of the tent is, laying on my stomach, kind of looking forward, trying to see out because there's windows in the annex. It's just like a big tent and I'm trying to see out, but it's so dark. And I hear it walk up to the annex and it kind of gets the fabric in both hands and stretches it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, and I.
Speaker 1: Think I gassed. And when I gassed, I heard it walk away, but I was sitting there, hyperventilating, terrifying. I was afraid it was fixing to come in the tent and get me. So the next morning at some point I go I finally get to sleep, and the next morning I get up and I'm as soon as it's light, I'm looking around my rig trying to see, you know, is there anything I can see footprints? Unfortunately, it was on I couldn't find any footprints. I look in the area I was kind of above setting on a hill where I was, and I kind of looked down in the dart and the grass and the brush, and I couldn't see anything there. So I'm not sure exactly how it came into camp. But one of the things I noticed is on the driver's side of my brig, I had an eight by eight awning that was up about eight feet taut, and on the end of that awning I had a camp organizer where you could put, you know, things for camp, flashlights, toilet paper, whatever, and then the bottom of it, I had tent steaks so it would weigh it down so it's it ever got windy, it wouldn't blow it around. But I don't remember any wind that night, you know, other than just a slight breeze. We're talking. This was in June twenty twenty three, So it was just around this time of year. No rain that day. It was a beautiful day, sunshine. If you want, folks can go. But I can look at the weather for that date. Arou on my baker and seat. So but that camp organizer I don't see it. And so in my mind I start rationalizing and thinking, okay, there was a camp robber. That's when I heard they came in and they stole that camp organizer. And so I'm like walking around. I talk to everybody in camp asking where you're around my ridge last night around twelve thirty, and everybody said no, and I was either in my tent or I wasn't in that area at all. I think everybody was still asleep. So I just kind of wrote it off for a little bit. Later that morning, I walk over to where the fire pit is where everybody's going to cook breakfast and everything, and I'm standing there talking and I happened to look back over to my rig and this is a little bit of a more elevated area than where I was parked. I look over to my rig and I can see the organizer isn't gone. It's laying on top of the auning. So remember this is eight feet up in the air and it is stretched completely out, laying flat, and so I'm like scratching my head trying to figure out what the heck happened here. So I go over to my rig and I get my steps tool. Because I'm not tall enough, I'm like five six. I'm not calm enough to reach up and get that camp organizer off the awning. So I step up there and able to pull it down. And then I'm standing there like an idiot with the end of the organizer in my hands, trying to throw it up to recreate it, to see can I make it lay fat by blowing lay flat by like if the wind was blowing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I tried for a while, and it would only go like a foot maybe two feet in and then it would fall because of the weight of the stakes. So I wasn't ever able to recreate it. I don't have any explanation for what happened to me other than I really believed that it was a big but that did that.
Speaker 3: And before anybody starts rolling their eyes, you sent me a photo of the organizer hanging down and everything, and there's no there's no way the wind did that. There's no way the wind did that. There's no way a person did it. I mean it's like a huge heavy flap that had stuff in it, so like something had to be tall enough to not only lift it over the top of an eight foot tall awning, but then also stretch it out on top of the awning, which would probably be what would you say, another two three feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. I mean you could maybe do it from the side. You would have to be tall to be able to do it, though, And I think I sent your pictures of my rig as well. Yeah, with the awning deploys you could see, like so the top of my forerunner where the on in is mounted is probably a good eight feet, so it would be is it impossible? Probably not difficult, Probably very But I don't think somebody else was kind of poking fun at me or trying to trying to get me. My friends wouldn't do that. In fact, I called and talked to the folks that were parked the closest to me that I'd kind of lost touch with for a while and asked him, like, you know, did you hear anything that night? Did you see anything? And I hadn't told him yet. You know kind of what I was thinking of what was going on. And one of them, Jack, he was like, does somebody do something to you, Jimmy, because I guess he could hear like my voice. He said, does somebody do something to you? Or does somebody steal something? And I was like, no, Jack, I think it was a bigfoot in camp. And I told me what happened. It was like wow, he said, you know, I didn't hear anything at all, so and he was very sincere. I don't think it was them messing with me. I do think it was a bigfoot. Havn't have been a fun with me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And plus whatever did it? Did it either I guess before you woke up, or did it while you were a wig listening intently and you didn't even hear it happen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I believe it was probably I don't know. You know, I hadn't even really thought about that. Matt. I wonder if it came back at some point. Got me wondering, now did it come back again? Because I don't recall it stopping. So Also at that time, on the dash, I had a I can't say what brand it was or anything, but I had a dash count that didn't have night vision, but it had motion detection, and at the exact time, right around I think it was like twelve thirty two, that dash can triggered, but my cowboy hat was blocking part of it, and then it was so dark you couldn't see whatever it was, but it did go off at that time.
Speaker 3: Huh. So it definitely detected a change in heat source, a heat source entering the area or something around that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or something something triggered that dash camp.
Speaker 3: So did you know pretty uh instantly that it was bigfoot in your mind or was that what you were always thinking.
Speaker 1: It's what I was always thinking, just because of the sound, Like I've been around so many people walking on gravel. I mean, look, I'm an Overlander, so we spend a lot of time in gravel parking lots, talking a step and I'm used to hearing riggs pull in what they said. I'm used to hearing what people sound like walking around on gravel. My dad worked in a limestone quarry for pretty much his whole life and retired from there, and I used to go out and see him. It's like, I'll gravel out there. That's what they sold, is gravel so I'm used to what gravel sounds like, and this didn't sound like anything I'd ever heard before. And I could tell it was like really big. And I think that's what kind of immediately intimidated me was it didn't sound like a bear shuffling around. This sounded very purposeful, very meticulous, like it knew exactly what it was about. And I think not being able to see because I had the windows zipped up, couldn't see because it was so dark outside of the annex, I think that made it a hundred times worse. I think maybe if I saw it, I would have been like, oh, hell, that's bigfoot. But not being able to see intensified it quite a bit, and it took me quite a while before I could get a good night's sleep. I want to say it rose to the level of PTSD, but it definitely impacted me. I didn't sleep well for a while.
Speaker 3: So did you just get the bug at that point? Why did you start going out looking for these things?
Speaker 1: I needed an explanation, but at that time I wasn't really too serious about it. I started watching bigfoot shows, videos things like that. It wasn't until November tenth of last year that I became completely obsessed and what happened. Being an overlander and stuff, I do a lot of remote camping and had gone on a solo trip by myself over to Crescent Bar, Washington, on the eastern side of the Cascades, and spent a couple of nights out there by myself. I was in a campground, so it wasn't like that time wasn't too remote. But I was coming back, and I was coming back over the Cascades through Snowpalmy Pass and came down the pass. There was a lot of traffic, like there always is on Sunday, got just like this last weekend coming back over the pass, and that trip it should have taken me less than four hours to get home. That took seven because it was like two hours of traffic on the pass from kle Elum all the way up to the top. So there's always really bad traffic, and I didn't feel like fighting the fast lane. People were driving like idiots, so I just kind of hung out in the right lane and I was going about seventy miles an hour or so, lightly raining. It's about one fifteen in the afternoon on a Sunday going down iminy headed west. I'm just outside North Bend, Washington, and coming into North Bend, there's some different sections in the snow Kwamie River that you pass, and the first one is the south south fork of the snow Kwamie and it's right at the exit for the Washington Fire Training Center and Homestead Road if people are from the area, so they'll know where I'm talking about. That bridge, you kind of come around a corner and I'm always kind of I love rivers, and I always look to see, like how high is the river? Can you see river bed rock? A river rock? You know, is it raging? What's going on? So, like I said, I was going about seventy miles an hour, and I come around that bend and I look over to the rights to see what the river looks like, and standing there is a cinnamon colored bigfoot that's about it had to have been over eight feet tall, and I think it was about eight and a half and I could see it from head to the hill. From behind. It was facing kind of to the northeast away from me, but I could see, you know, very clearly. It was cinnamon colored. It didn't have the super conical head. It had a huge head, the shoulders were And I'm kind of going back and thinking about all of this afterwards, because as soon as I saw it, Matt, I was like, holy cow, that shouldn't be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Can't believe broad daylight. Although it's like missing light rain, there's a freaking bigfoot standing seventy five yards off the highway. And I've been, you know, watching on TV and stuff, and I hear there's roadside sightings all the time, but I never expected to see that. And when I did it, my mind kind of just froze for a second, and I'm like, did I just really see that? And like, I looked at it two times because I had looked over saw it and I was like, holy crap, And I look right back and kind of taken more of what I'm seeing. But my sighting this time was maybe two three seconds at the most. But it's kind of amazing what you can observe within a couple seconds. Yeah, it seemed like a lot longer to me. So kind of getting back to the description had a really big head, the shoulders were like, immediately, what kind of the size of the shoulders were shocking? We're talking about like four and a half feat wide. I could see the arms were hanging down in its side. It was kind of looking away, like I said, to the northeast. It was looking it looked like across the river. So across the river it's just real thick brush. There's a boundary forest there between the river and homestead. And I went back and drove that last week and on the way up there to see like is their way down in there? And I couldn't really figure out what it was looking at, but the arms were hanging by its side. The hands went down to maybe just below the knee, right at the knee, and I could see the hair on its forearms was hanging off about a good four to six inches long. The hair looked that I did. It wasn't shaggy like I thought it would be. It looked like it was fairly well kept, like maybe it had been swimming in the river. I really think that they used that the souft fork of snow Qualm is maybe a pointed ingress into the area and egress and I'll tell.
Speaker 3: You why in a moment.
Speaker 1: But so, the arms were huge, The shoulders were like shockingly big. The waist was it super tapered. The bike was you know, everything was covered in this cinnamon colored hair, so it's like a dark brown with hints of brand in it. And I could see all the way down to its feet. Its legs were huge. And since that moment, unlike I've been my wife says, I'm completely obsessed, but like, I have to figure out what this is. I think there's two kinds of people. They're the kind of people that see something like this are having experience, and they write it off and they never want to think about it or talk about it again. And me, I'm just the opposite, Like I want to get out there and find out what it is. I want to do everything I can to figure it out to the point to where, you know, like maybe one day we can sit down and have a conversation with them. So a couple of things happen. One is I started going to conferences, and last year me and my buddy went to the Sasquatch Summit in Ocean Shores, Washington. I met a bunch of people there, including a bunch of folks from the Olympic Projects. I really enjoyed that conference. So the next one that was coming that was in November. The next one was in January, and that was in Kelsa squatch Fest. So I went down there by myself and hung out for a couple of days. I got to meet a couple of people. One of those was Craig Yownie, who was the host of squatch Fest, and he leads a group called Pacific Northwest Sasquatch Research Group. And we really hit it off talking. He's a professional cameraman, I'm a photographer on the side, and we're talking with cameras and stuff. We exchanged contact information. We figured out like we live really close to each other, but twenty minutes away from one another, and through talking and everything, he said, you know, hey, why don't you come out to the research area. And so we set up a time and started going out north of Darrington to his research area that he calls this i Squatch Valley and started going out there with him, and then I started making a log trips out there by myself as well and camping out there alone. About a month and a half ago, I believe it was. I was camped out there with my buddy and we didn't hear it at the time, but we went to bed like once again. It was around ten thirty and I had an audio recorder running for the whole night, and about thirty five minutes after we went to sleep, started hearing tree knocks on the recording, an Adobe audition. The closest place to camp from there is like camp grounds. There's one to the east and it's about two miles away, and there's one to the west. It's also about two miles away, and I'm in the middle. It's a national force, so you're not supposed to be shooting out there unless you're hunting, not hunting season. But going back to the audio that I got, you hear a tree knock in the distance, and then maybe ten seconds later, you hear another one, and it's a little bit closer, and then you hear a series of tree knocks that progressively get closer to where we're sleeping until it culminates in a very loud bang that to me kind of almost sounds metallic, and that woke me up. But I kind of sat there listened. Didn't feel like there was any threat, so I went back to sleep, and we had no idea until the So I got home the next day and started listening to it. I believe you know Jonathan and Sarah Brown sure good friends guys from Salas Sasquatch. So I was talking to him recently and we were talking about that area and they mentioned that they'd been at something where Washington Fish and Wildlife was there, and they asked them, you know, hey, where do you get the most reports from? And the place they get the most reports from is in our research area. That campground is two miles away from where I recorded those audios. Craig has found some footprints and has some his own interesting audio, possibly filmed something walking along the river. We're not sure what you know exactly get what that might have been. So I get really involved in the research end of it, and then decided to try to tie bigfoock research into overlanding and off roading. So I decided to start a podcast called off Road x Files and find people who had had experiences like myself, not limited in it to just like Sasquatch or Bigfoot, anything that they might have encountered all on the dirt road for service shrod, just first camping, any kind of strange experience that they've had. Because I'll tell you, Matt, every time I talk about this, I feel better Yeah, it's almost like it's soothing. It helps. It helps me kind to grips with what happened and to kind of rationalize it in my own mind. And I have heard other people say that it's really helpful to talk about it, and so I want to try to offer that support as well.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how much of a difference it makes just to talk to somebody and something click in your brain that makes you realize you share this experience, you have something in common with that person where you don't feel isolated in questioning yourself so much anymore. That's actually happened right now, Actually your experience with something coming up around your tent while you're camping, that whole thing about footsteps and the gravel man. The most impactful encounter that I had whenever I was doing build investigations was a situation where a group of us from various states, we're meeting up at our main research area. I was part of the locals that were already there. We arrived a day or two before everybody else, of course, and we had set up camp and kind of made a half circle around this campsite. It was the same campsite we always use and everything, and we use that one because the bigfoot are kind of known to travel through that park and walk through the park at night and everything. So it wasn't by accident, but we also chose that time of year because the park's empty. Nobody camps during that time of the season, and there was three of us. I had this super huge tent set up because once I started big footing, I realized that my tent was way too small. I needed something with much more room where nothing could touch me through the walls. And so there was my tent and then another tent right next to it, and then we had like a storage tent set up, and then the rest of the spot was for everybody that was going to show up. And we probably stayed up until I don't know, eleven thirty or so, and then we all got in the tents and went to sleep, and we left three lanterns on There was a couple of places. There was a tree right in front of my tent, and then there was a lantern post on the opposite side of the camp, and then on another tree we hung another lantern. And these were you know Coleman lanterns, the kind that you actually pour the fuel into They were not propane.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember those.
Speaker 3: We had left them on because we didn't know whenever everybody else was getting get there. They'd get there at some point in the middle of the night, so they needed to see where we were at in the campgrounds and they would be able to see and set their tent up and everything, and so we left them on and filled them all up before we went to bed. At some point I woke up out of a dead sleep, and it was one of those times whenever something wakes you up and you're just wide awake and you're listening because you're trying to figure out, Okay, what just woke me up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is it a threat?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And just like you're talking about, I heard extremely slow, methodical steps in the gravel walking right next to my tent on the side that I was sleeping on, and my vehicle, I was driving a Ford Explorer at the time, it was parked at that end of the tent, probably three to four feet away. There is like some large boulders set up there next to the camp road, so you couldn't drive your vehicle into the campsite, and so whatever this was was walking in a space or probably about three feet between my tent and my vehicle and the boulders and all that. And then I heard the same type footsteps in the gravel in front of the tent. And these two sets of footsteps are intersecting at the front corner of my tent, next to the tree where the lantern was hanging. And I'm laying there listening, and I mean, these steps are so slow and like it sounds like two very heavy people. And then I hear whispering at the front of the tent and I'm thinking, oh my god, somebody's out there. Is that, you know, the of our group. That's what I'm thinking. It's got to be the rest of our group. And they're just trying to be quiet and not wake us up or whatever. And that's whenever it kind of dawned on me. Everything like this all happens pretty quickly, you know what I'm saying. So like, at that point, I notice the lanterns are off, there's no light outside the tent. I'm not seeing any shadows on the tent wall or anything. And then I hear something. There's distinct sound. I'll never forget it, that sound of when you lift up a car door handle and let go of it and it snaps back down. That's the sound at my ford right there. Oh my god, something's trying that. Yeah. So at this point, I'm honestly thinking camp prowlers. We got burglars, you know, they're coming in and stealing our stuff. And so I'm laying there and I've got a pistol with me, and so like I kind of like sit up inside my feet in my boots and get my pistol, and I look over at my buddy, who's asleep on the other side of the tenant's like, like I said, a big two room tent. He's sound asleep. He doesn't hear anything. And so I'm thinking, what do I do? Because as soon as I hit this zipper, whoever's out there is going to hear me coming. And am I gonna just go out there and start blasting? Am I gonna hold somebody at gunpoint? You know? All these thoughts racing through my hip. What do I do? So I see the spotlight laying on the floor next to me. So I'm thinking, okay, I'm I'm going to pick up the spotlight and I'm just gonna flash it. I'm not going to turn it. I'm just gonna flash it real quick, light up the tent real bright, so whoever's out there will know that somebody's awake. And so I do that and there's just nothing, just dead quiet, and I'm like okay, So I start saying my buddy's name, trying to wake him up. Well at the time, Uh so there's the other guy that's asleep in a tent. One tent over in a small tent, and these two guys both have the same name. And the buddy of mine that was in the tent with me is sleeping with on his side. He's deaf in one ear and I snore, so he's got his deaf ear up in the air and he's got his good ear covered up. And so I end up waking up the other guy in the other tent. So I'm like telling him, like, hey, meet me out in front of the tent right now, and he's like okay. So we both come out of the tent. I've got the spotlight and I'm doing like the whole cop thing with my pistol in one hand and spotlight crossed over, pointing, and I'm just being around and like I'm you know, giving calms to him, you know everything that just happened, and man, there's just nothing. It's just dead quiet. I go over to my explorer. I'm looking in the windows and everything, everything's there. Nothing's taken, like my wallet and like a CBE radio and like a flashlight. They're all like laying in the front seat. Nothing's gone. And I'm just like, what is going on? And I'm shining the spotlight around. There's just nothing, no movement. Nothing.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: About that time, the guy that woke up with me, I've explained everything to him. He thinks it's prowlers too, because that's what I'm saying. I'm like, look, they've turned off the lannerns because we went up and checked the lanterns and they were turned to the off position and still had fuel in them, all three of them.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 3: So he's calling the park ranger and you know, reporting, hey, we've got prowlers in camp blah blah. Block is. Like I said, we're the only ones in the park. There's only one road coming into this area and one road out. So the ranger's coming. And by this time, my other buddy has woken up and he's kind of like sitting on the side of his cot and he's looking out the tent door at me, and I'm looking at him and I've just, you know, I've really got a crazy look in my eye. You know, I'm pretty rattled at this point. And uh, he just says, did you look for tracks? Well, well, no, why would I look for tracks? You know, it's people. So I shine the spotlight down and I walk over there by the side of the tent where I first heard the steps, and you can see large what looks like barefoot impressions in the pea gravel next to the tent. They're not clear. You certainly couldn't, you know, pour a plaster cast of them or anything, but it's like the out line and everything. And so I'm shining around. Well, the pea gravel is thicker in the main part of camp, so I shine over there in front of my tent and there's just these other set of tracks coming and I follow the tracks, and something took a step between our two tints that were side by side. There's probably about an eight inch wide gap between them, and then you've got you know, the support lines coming off the front and the back and everything. Something took one step in between the tents and its second step hit behind my tent. My tent was twelve by eight fi. Yeah, so that's an eight foot stride. And like I said, never heard anything, nothing, And that freaked me out so bad because I heard whispering. I heard it try a door handle, and all the lanterns were turned off. There's just nothing out there except these tracks around camp right where I heard something walking. Eventually, the ranger gets there and he had actually parked his vehicle at the entrance and walked in through the woods trying to catch anybody that was sneaking around out there. And he just matter of fact he told us, he was like, you guys are the only people here. There's no other vehicles. If there was somebody snooping around your camp, they just hiked seven miles through the woods with no flashlight. That doesn't make sense, doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: It's not reasonable. No, it's not reasonable. You mentioned to the whispering. So are we're in the evening when we recorded the audio earlier that evening, My buddy and I are sitting around camp campfire. We had a couple of beers. I kept looking over to my right and you kept going, what's going on over there? I'm like, sounds like somebody talking, but it's just outside the edge of understanding. But I kind of chalk it up to you. We were close to the river, and so maybe there's that whole thing kind of like paradoia where if you're close to a babbling work or something that can sound like voices. So I just kind of wrote it off as that, but maybe it was. Maybe it was something out there talking just kind of outside the edge of hearing. So one thing I wanted to mention is on maybe a couple of months ago, I was on a different podcast and somebody sent me an email two weeks after I was on there, and there was a hunter who said that they were pretty sure that a similar siding on the way home from hunting on I ninety coming back to the West Side just before North Bend, and he sent me a screenshot of Google maps and Matt his sighting was in the exact same place. Wow, three weeks before mine. Three weeks before mine, he saw one in that same spot. I've been trying to hook up with him to have a conversation, to get more details about his siding, to see like, you know, what car was it, et cetera. Sees maybe it was the same one, but having had two sidings within three weeks, I really think maybe they're using that river to come and go, and so I want to find a way down onto that river bed to try to do some more investigating and see what we can figure out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one that you saw, I wanted to ask you. I mean, it's broad daylight, so you're going across a bridge, it's over a river. Is this thing on the bank of the river, is it in water?
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: So at that time, the river was pretty low because to remember, it's November, so all of the high River and everything is around this kind of year and earlier, so April May June, the rivers are a lot higher stage because of all the glacial melt and the snow melting, and then around November the river's pretty low. So from what I could see of the river, the river was maybe only about ten twenty feet wide at that point, and where it was sand and was on river rock very big boulders, not necessarily boulders, but like basketball sized rocks and smaller sticking out like a sore thumb. Yeah, exactly, sore thumb. And it's like, what why. And I think it's maybe one of the hardest things I've had to come to terms with with that is like the why of it? Why is it standing there in broad daylight where it could very easily be seen by hundreds of people driving through traffic is stremely heavy during that period of time. Why didn't make care that it could be seen? And I have no idea?
Speaker 3: Okay, So that's one of the great mysteries, right, That's a question that plagues me at night whenever I'm trying to fall asleep. Why is it? I mean, I've spent years talking to people. I spent years going out looking for these things, talking to people who had sightings. The general consensus is these things are masters of their domain, masters of the environment, and they go so far out of their way to keep from being seen, discovered, whatever you want to call it. But then you have this sighting like you had. You have these sightings where they just walk out cross in front of cars instead of waiting for the car to drive past them. What what is going on? It's like sometimes they just don't even care. Yes, all of those fs are gone. Yeah, I don't know, man, it's mind boggling. Well, I was hoping you could have the answer. You've kind of you've kind of let me wish I did so at this point in it, where's your head at? What? What are Is this just some undiscovered primate? Is it a human of some kind? What? What do you think these things are?
Speaker 1: Good question? So I definitely think they're physical. I believe they're physical beings, probably more along the lines if somewhere in between Chromagne or Neanderthal and Homo homo sapien or Homo sapien sapient whatever. I think it's Homo sapient sapient somewhere kind of in between, because and I also think there's a large variety, just like there's a large variety of humans. Yeah, humans who are taller, shorter, all the way down to you know, little we people look different, have different color hair, different skin complexions. I think it's pretty much the same thing. But I think with Bigfoot, they never left the woods man, so they're still grounded. We left the woods and we've lost probably all the kind of superabilities or extra abilities that we used to have. And so since they're out there twenty four to seven year grounded, I don't they haven't lost those abilities they've continued to evolve and grow, So I think it's a physical being that has it kind of what I refer to as adoptions, so that ability to disappear very quickly. We don't understand that. Maybe it's something to do with hair follicles. Maybe it's they're like and I've heard time and time again, how fast are there are some humans that are pretty fast, but apparently they can move and you know that in speeds that even exceed that. Maybe they can go from standing vertically to being horizontal in a second just by dropping with their weights. And more recently I started hearing stories about crawlers, the bigfoots that are spider crawling. Is that a newer adaption? I don't know yet how far that goes back at something I'm really interested in, But I think they have all these abilities that we've lost, that they've continued to evolve that we just don't understand, and so we can, you know, see one and be able to study it. And I'm definitely not in the kill camp. I think that it should be something that would happen naturally, but also think that you know, maybe they bury each other so that may never happen.
Speaker 3: Man do you think we'll ever get to the point of where it's publicly accepted that these things exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do. I think we're getting closer and closer, just from you know, the time where I was a kid, it was the bigfoot craze right in the sixties seventies, especially the seventies, and then it died out for a long time. Then now it's become so common. You know, it's readily accepted on TV. Sure people still roll their eyes and go, oh, this is just acting, and probably some of it is, but it's becoming more socially acceptable to talk about the subject not only a bigfoot, but you know other cryptids, mothman, dog man, et cetera. In this area, we have something called the click aitat eight cat that I just went down to Benjin, Washington recently and interviewed James Shubski at Marge's Outdoor Store, where they've had like one hundred and forty reports in the last three years of this they called the click atat ape cat. It's a cryptid that it's like a large, very large black panther that maybe had some human or primate type features, intelligent eyes, et cetera. Does it exist? I don't know, but I think it's really interesting and something else that I'm looking into. But it's all of that is becoming more socially acceptable, right along with UFOs or UAPs, and I think that's had kind of a considerable impact on the field, with people talking about subjects that used to be a taboo that maybe just aren't his taboo anymore.
Speaker 3: Have you had any encounters or sightings of anything else besides bigfoot?
Speaker 1: Not cryptidwise. Back when I was a kid, I used to spend some summers with my grandpa in East Texas in the big piney woods if you know where Newton is kind of been the vicinity of Orange, Texas, right along the Texas Louisiana border. Visco spent summers within at his place he called Buckhorn Valley, and it was out in the big thicket. I never and I used to spend all day long out there with a BB gun or twenty two hunting. Never really saw anything weird except for over a period of years, and we're talking like from the time I was eleven or twelve until I was in my twenties. Back behind his house, there was a kind of a meadow was maybe one hundred to two hundred yards wide, probably closer to like one fifty wasn't super big, but it was big enough you could ride a horse around out in there. And it's surrounded by pine trees. And I said, over a period of years from when I was eleven or twelve, and so I was in my early twenties when he passed away, right about dust time, we'd see an orb that would float from and it was always from my right to left across this meadow. It was about six or seven feet in the air. It didn't bob or move or anything like if it was somebody with a headlamp or a lantern. It was very steady, kind of very methodical moving. It would take like maybe ten seconds to cross the whole meadow, so about that speed. And at the distance that I was at like one hundred and fifty yards, it was about the size of like a cantelope, about the size of a candlope metal melon, So it had to be significantly bigger than that at one hundred and fifty yards. Yeah, over a period of years I saw this, So it's empirical signs replicatable. It happened again and again, I don't know what it was but there's like a lot of weird things that happened there. But I did see that or probably twelve to fourteen times over my wifetime. What color was it? It was white, but it wasn't like strobing like plasma. It was kind of a solid white, not super duper bright. But it definitely got your attention as soon as it started coming out of the woods. Like I said, it would always come out on the right side of the woods and move towards the left.
Speaker 3: Did your grandfather say anything about it?
Speaker 1: No, they didn't talk about it. Yeah, he didn't talk about anything like that. And I would love to be able to go back now and see, like pick his brain about things that maybe happened. And also my great grandfather, Big Pop, he was a well known trapper in East Texas, trapping wolves and mi ink and stuff like that. And I just wonder now, like what did he possibly see Because he lived a long life. He was around one hundred years old when he passed away, and I knew him when he was in his eighties and he'd be out woodland wood. He had a wooden lathe that he would carve axe handles and tag hammer handles and stuff like that out in the yard, and I'd come out in the morning. He'd asked me if I wanted to bicket a biscuit, and he'd take me into He lived in a little trailer behind my grandpa. But that man could make some tremendous biscuits. But I'd get anything to talk to him and find out. Did you ever see anything weird?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man?
Speaker 1: I was just talking with my dad on the way home the other day on Sunday. I was calling when I'm coming back from a trip because it's a not only it lonely, but it gets really boring, and I enjoy talking to him. And I'm going down to Texas in a couple of weeks for my cousin that passed away for his funeral. And so I'm talking to Dad and he mentions that he had an experience in a deer camp. And so while I'm down there, I'm going to see, as I can say he kime on video or audio and have him tell me that story. Why he still can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was actually raised by my great grandparents, and I never got a chance to talk to my great grandfather about any of this. I probably honestly got into it because of his passing, just trying to find something to distract me. It was right after he passed away that I really got into this. And my great grandmother was alive for quite a while after I started going out and researching and everything, and she knew a lot of the people that I went out and investigated with and everything, and she would always give me such a hard time about it though, you know, we relatives would come over or something, and you know, she'd be sitting there talking and she do you know what, Matthew does? You know he goes out there looking for big fuck? Can you believe it? And then eventually, you know, whenever I had my first sighting, you know, I came home and like had been processing it that whole weekend, you know, and then get back home and everything, and I went in, like sat down on the foot of her bed, you know, and she sat down next to me, and I like told her everything, and she kind of laid off making fun of me at that point a little bit. But then one day she overheard me use the word booger and like how you were saying, you know, wooly bogers and everything. And she had been raised in the mountains of Arkansas, and whenever she heard me use the word booger, she said, wait, I thought you went out looking for bigfoot And I said, yeah, they're called boogers. Well I know what boogers are. Those are those old Harry wild men that live up in the mountains. I heard about those all the time, and it was just the connection was never made. But after that, you know, she never questioned or anything, never made fun of me after that. And then at one point, we were having Thanksgiving dinner here at the house and one of my uncles made his way into the room I was in and it was just the two of us, and he said, so I hear you go out looking for bigfoot. I was like, yeah, he goes you ever find one? Well, as a matter of fact, yeah, And he says, well, you know your great great grandmother saw one. And I'm just like, what are you talking about? And he proceeds to tell you this story about how my great grandmother's mother had seen one a long time ago. They heard, and I guess it would have been my great great grandfather heard something outside. All the chickens and everything are going crazy, and they go out there with a lantern and a shotgun, and there's this bigfoot at their hogpen, and it had reached over with one arm, they said, and scooped up a pig underneath its arm and just walked off into the woods with it. They never fired a shot or anything. They weren't about to. And my uncle said, yeah, I used to to go out looking for Bigfoot two, and I used to do it whenever you were real little, whenever I was in the Navy. He was actually stationed out in Washington and got into it for a while and I never knew it. So I guess it kind of runs in the family. But yeah, man, those stories from the previous generations are so far and few between at this point, and we lose the opportunity to talk to him. So I hope your father goes on the record or whatever and you're able to record some of those stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I hope so too. We're quickly losing that generation and we need to talk to them and get all those stories and get them documented while we can.
Speaker 3: Well, like you said, it's so therapeutic and it helps so much, not just talking about it, but others hearing them and everything. So, yeah, man, is your podcast already out? Are you working on it.
Speaker 1: I'm working on it. I'm hoping I'm a couple of weeks away of having a couple episodes down and then getting it released out there. It'll be on a Spotify to start. And if somebody wants to get in contact with you, how can they go about doing that? Well, thanks for asking, Matt. They can reach me Jimmy Tungate at off Road Altogether, off road dot x dot files at gmail dot com. Happy to talk to anybody that you've had a strange experience, eerie, unexplained chilling encounters. If you're a campra off over overland er anywhere on the globe, happy to talk to you about it.
Speaker 3: And if youre some support, well, Jimmy, thanks for joining me and sharing some of your stories and I look forward to talking to you in the future.
Speaker 1: My friend, Yeah, same thing, Matt. It's been great. I appreciate you having me on and sharing your stories as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can't help it, man, can't help it. And if you've had an encounter with something you can't explain, such as bigfoot, UFOs, orbs or ghosts or anything at all, email me at Bigfoot Crossroads at gmail dot com. Check out the website Bigfootcrossroads dot com. You can find links to social media, past episodes, merchandise, everything you need, all in one place, and until next time, remember there's something in the woods.