Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome the game Spot after Dark, Episode two hundred and sixty. It's twenty twenty five. I'm your host, John m. Zack, and I am joined by Jacob Decker.
Speaker 2: Should we reset the number episode number? Now that it's live, now that it's like a new thing.
Speaker 1: Well, we're not live yet, so get there.
Speaker 3: We're just trying to fill the air. Okay, Yeah, all right, Well you know what we could talk about.
Speaker 1: We can have a discussion live here on the podcast current Avina.
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts about numbers? About numbers, they go up, they go down, They can be split in half, multiplied each other. Yeah, split a little armer chair. I think every time you mentioned that I've mentioned the number, I'm always a little surprised. Numbers are surprising.
Speaker 1: I feel like people like to know how what episode they're on or what number.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we have made it pretty far, you know, I don't think I don't think we should reach it.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, But but do we need to say the number every time? Does that matter? We could just stop saying the number? We could, like I could put the number in this about.
Speaker 2: Only how about only for like uh important numbers?
Speaker 3: You know? Okay, I say it is your decision, Jean Luke, and it has been in your routine to state the number in a way, it's like the coordinates of how far comment And some people just aren't always lost like me, and I'm always like, wow, look we made it another mind.
Speaker 1: Sure you are always surprised every time I have, every.
Speaker 3: Single time you are. I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing house.
Speaker 2: One hundred and ten fifty seven.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're just saying numbers now.
Speaker 2: Churt said he's always surprised when he hears the number.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: One sixty seven?
Speaker 3: Oh? Hey, really that one?
Speaker 1: What are you doing after?
Speaker 3: After what you want? You? Look at your sick number.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: That's an even number. I'm not interested. Oh okay, seven. Oh I'd rather like sixty seven. I rather what they're doing at the end of the night than sixty nine. Oh they're too easy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like sixty seven because it's the opposite of seventy six. So it's like, if it was good, if it was good, yeah, they should make they should make a good fallout and call it fallout.
Speaker 3: If it was good, sixty seven and underneath it if it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the tackle.
Speaker 3: It's good. Now, Yeah, we made a good one this time. We flipped the numbers. We did it.
Speaker 1: You've been asking for it.
Speaker 3: There's lots of people who love bad game. There are. And and you know what, I used to have a backpack.
Speaker 1: It's true that that backpack had nothing to do with my my opinion on that game.
Speaker 2: It was a nice one though.
Speaker 1: It was a nice backpack. But then you know what, the buckles broke and I threw it in the trash. Now I have a nice Stalker two backpack that I don't use for work, but it's now my earthquake prepper bag.
Speaker 3: Perfect And that's amazing, a little bit too accurate, too close.
Speaker 1: Well, a few weeks ago we had those like two in a day. And then like I got home and George is like, we're making a prepper bag.
Speaker 3: You know. It's like did you not have one prior?
Speaker 1: Well we did, but it wasn't a very good one, and we're like, we need it. We have a better one. And then I was like, well should we use And I was like, I got this Stalker too Collector's edition bag back Well, if there's an earthquake and you need it, and I see, I'll be like, what's.
Speaker 3: Up, dude? Yeah, hey stalker dude, you're a real cool guy. I bet you've seen some action on time.
Speaker 1: The unfortunate thing is I'll be dead because the bag will be only full.
Speaker 3: Of like bolts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be full of It'll be full of weighs like one hundred and twenty towns like bolts, what salami?
Speaker 1: Some like cantona, But you know why, I eat with like a fork and then.
Speaker 3: An obscene amount of vodka and energy drinks that you just never never get through any of it. But I'm just like, I guess I'm just gonna drink this now.
Speaker 1: It's the first podcast of twenty twenty five, and no one's gonna hear it. No, no, no, we're gonna we're gonna probably publish this one. Oh I think so. Yeah, we're talking about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: We should probably publish it. So for context, we were not here the first two weeks of the year because we were having our studio built.
Speaker 3: Which can be seen in one video.
Speaker 1: You could be seen in one video. It's a pretty good one. Should go check it out. It's Kurt's the only switch breakdown you need to see. Yeah, I think we could have come up with a better title for that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was late on a Thursday.
Speaker 1: I think I think we should just like lean into more I don't know, nonsensical, not nonsensical, but more just like a chaotic chaotic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I do. There's something about the only break the only switch to breakdown you need to see. Yeah, But to me, breakdown had two meanings in that title.
Speaker 1: I think that's I think breakdown to the part. That's where we could have that's the or we could have leaned more into the breakdown part. I think we really should have leaned into that. Anyway, it's a good video. You get a little teaser of what the studio is.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to do the.
Speaker 1: Full reveal, but for now audio only for this podcast still, but eventually, the plan is we are gonna go live again. We're gonna do video again. It's gonna be up on the YouTube channel. Very exciting, it'll be it'll be cool to do that again after a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: But for now, Yeah, we have a new studio. We have a new office. Do you guys want to talk about the office at all?
Speaker 2: Its desks, Kurt can't put nails in the way side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I veto for putting a nail on the wall.
Speaker 3: Which one of these? I mean when you're not around.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean I'll just show up and I'll be there, so as long as if I didn't. If you do that while I'm not there, I'm not culpable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and then no one will, you know, I'll have to answer to no one. I just want you know, I I it's I see I have a wall next on my desk where I'm really excited about. That's what it was important to.
Speaker 1: You specifically asked for a corner desk that faces a wall so you don't have to look at anyone.
Speaker 3: Yes, which you have exactly, and it's fantastic. And there's nothing on my desk except for a portrait of Laura Palmer.
Speaker 1: Uh, which we will probably hire a guy to hang up at.
Speaker 3: Some point, or I'll just stay there in front of my monitor.
Speaker 1: Know I'm gonna I'm gonna hire a guy to hang it up.
Speaker 3: But I have a I have a wall that nail. You don't get him get a nail. Yeah, they won't want to set anybody anyways. I just want to put a nail into the wall to hang my headphones on and John on because it was like, why don't you get a hook And I'm like, we'll show me some hooks. And then I looked at all the hooks, I was like, I want a nail. I would rather put a nail on the wall and just hang my headphones on them. I don't need. Is that it some sticky you know craft? What the fuck Scott's Scotch tape item craft glue? I know. Yeah, a nail and a hammer will do just fine. That will solve most problems in your life. Okay, I believe it anyway. So yeah, we have a new office. We have a new office.
Speaker 2: Chairs, desks, chairs, desks, this cool studio all built out for the most part coming together.
Speaker 1: You just got to a lot of cables in here. Yeah, run a lot of cables. We need to treat the audio. I think it's still a little echoey in here. You'll probably hear it in the in the pod maybe, but I think that could be reduced a little bit if possible. But yeah, otherwise, like, I'm.
Speaker 3: Wow, we did it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's weird. So I have like a weird relationship with studiodios in that when I came in, we had just built a new studio. When I first started game spot back at the CBS office, it was okay, it was okay looking, but it was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was better than the previous studio that we had because I was there for the third floor as well, and that studio was like fashioned in the center of the room, like they put up walls, wires, cables going.
Speaker 1: I thought that one looked better, but I heard functional.
Speaker 3: He was maybe a little old. Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: It had a lot more character, I think than the the CBS one or not. I mean they're both CBS ones, but the first floor one, just because.
Speaker 1: That was my problem with the first flour one. I thought it was just very dull, black character. So Ever since then, I've always been like, one day I'll get to build my own studio and I'll have all the things I want and no one can tell me what to do. And there were several times times where I got agonizingly close. First time we were owned by Red Ventures, they were like, we're gonna build you guys a studio on the sixth floor, and we're like, great, you can have this space. Do you remember that that that that room in the middle, it was a giant fish bowl glassroom, and we're like, yeah, we can use Like it's big, we can use it. It's kind of cool. People can walk by and see what's going on. That's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: It's probably for the best, I mean, for many reasons, but it probably would have been the best space for a studio at.
Speaker 1: The end of the day, but it still would have been like you know, it's like in the options we had, it was like great, and then they were like they were like, we went through, we like talked with people, and then just suddenly they're like, oh, yeah, we don't want to do that. We're gonna turn it into a meeting room. In fact, that whole can I ran about that floor for a second and how weird it was. They said, no one can have offices anymore. All of these all of these old offices are now either like meeting rooms or storage closets. No one's allowed to have an office.
Speaker 3: Oh that is right, Yeah, because if I remember right there, like Randy was like out with us in the pit.
Speaker 1: Yes, like no one had an office.
Speaker 2: It was former editor in chief, yes.
Speaker 3: Game spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was weird. It was really weird Ben Howard who was even yeah, like even even hiring, and like, to some degree, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: It's interesting idea. But it also was like but then we would be like, hey, can we use that room like for a thing, and they'd be like no. We'd be like why. They'd be like, we have a policy, you're not allowed to like we want open encourage open thing, and we're like okay, cool, but like can we like there's also like record vio in that room and they're like no. There was also a huge floor and there's like no more than like seven people there any given to Yeah, like the amount of wasted.
Speaker 3: Hundreds of desks, yeah, empty stay.
Speaker 1: I took like an old like podcast room and converted it into what we used for the podcast for a while. I took giant bomb desk and brought it in there at all janky as all heck, I had a saw a table and a half because that yes, that table there was like fixed and I was like, why you want to get rid of this? And the only way to do it was like the guy who like what's his name, but he like he like ran the office right like you would like if you needed something like maintenancetant and you would message him.
Speaker 3: He like came in with like.
Speaker 1: A saw one day. I was just like, just like, we just saw that table off.
Speaker 2: I completely forgot about that little podcast area. I like wiped it from my brain.
Speaker 1: What's super funny about that is I found out later that because I like did all that work, sawed it off. We used it for like a few months, and then afterwards we got bought by Fandom and moved out of there. The when it got sawed, Eric Tay already knew that we were going to get sold, that we were in talks of that, so he was like, he was like, oh, I want to I want to tell him, like to not put in all that work, but also I can't tell them, So I just got to let him saw that table, which to me was like fine, I don't care, but it's kind of satisfying.
Speaker 2: And saw the table.
Speaker 3: It was remember satisfying.
Speaker 2: We were looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in some ways I would encourage you to destroy anything you want, regardless.
Speaker 1: Of like walls with.
Speaker 3: Anything. Yeah, throw that mug. I've had it since anyways. But the I will say the studio though, is is very important because it was a process It was obviously something important to to be able to do it, but I feel like it was a we as a group were able to put in feedback and actually be a part of that.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. Yeah, long story short, I have been wanting to make a long time coming have an actual studio. Finally got to do one, and like was able to fully like have a vision, work with a designer.
Speaker 3: I even have a tinge of romanticism in this too, because I had a vision for a show that I did in twenty twenty cold remember when right before the pandemic hit, and we were in the midst of like building a set for it, and it was supposed to be this sort of clutter core idea of having every single tool imaginable behind me that I can pick up and physically make something, and then actually leaked into this set too. So we have like a work bench, which is kind of in my brain of was slight winking a nod and a homage to something that could have been but never was. But now we have it. Yeah, Yeah, it's exciting.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll probably talk about this more once people can actually see it. It's maybe not as interesting just hearing about it. You just have to take our word for it.
Speaker 2: Watch the watch.
Speaker 3: The switch to you'll see the work bench that I get.
Speaker 1: The work bench, which is maybe the coolest part of the whole set, in my opinion, it's really cool.
Speaker 3: I think it's the most confusing and most interesting interesting.
Speaker 1: I think the coolest part about the work bench is it as a functioning work banche like like, there's there's a soldering gun there.
Speaker 3: It works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a real soldering gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And a coffee pot and a coffee pot that you could make coffee and if you make some blend. Yeah, well, unfortunately that coffee sad. What you're to the disappointment of Kurt.
Speaker 3: When I brought it, I was like, why the fuck did they send us a bag filled with foam? Where's the fucking coffee?
Speaker 1: You were about to like message remedy pre.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, like Sam, we need to talk. What is going on? What does this make believe? Coffee or sending him back? Stop it's not from.
Speaker 1: Them, hm, video games? What I know, we're podcasts about video games.
Speaker 3: Sometimes.
Speaker 1: I wanted to Okay, here's how I wanted to start the new year. I want to hear from you guys. With the first thing that comes to your head, no thoughts. You don't have a chance to look it up on your phone because you don't have your phone, except for Jake does have his phone, but I have an important call. But otherwise you normally don't have your phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, leave your damn phone to the door. As our a new model for this podcast.
Speaker 1: By the way, what is the most What is the game you are most excited about? Like, first thing that comes to your head this year? First thing doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: I only see colors. Give me a color red.
Speaker 1: Okay, ah, this is like, of course it is, but like and it's probably gonna get delayed. But like GTA six, I'm really curious to see what you know?
Speaker 3: Okay, what is coming out this year? I don't know.
Speaker 1: You think I know my phone with me. I don't remember anything past, like what comes out in two weeks? Actually, I will say, wait, can I see the switch to that's not a game, but like, oh yeah, whatever's more exciting. I think that's what Kurt what maybe meant because he said red, Yeah, just rich red the box?
Speaker 3: No, I just all read because you see colors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think subconsciously switch.
Speaker 2: Well, no, because if you're going to see the switch to you'd see like gray with like a little accent of blue, because there's not you can't really see it though.
Speaker 3: You can, Yes you can. It's it's there. It's just gray.
Speaker 2: This is up to there's no fun left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and oh I know, yeah, because anything that's all black or all gray is just a fucking loser. Apparently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said it, not me.
Speaker 3: Watch the video watch to see my breakdown about it. My sincere answer is, I don't know. I can't think of any I don't know what's coming out this year.
Speaker 1: I think that's a totally validance, and.
Speaker 3: I think in ways that's a uh, just emblematic of my how I kind of view my everyday experience with video games currently. So I think there is. I mean, it's the thing where we got one. Okay, this is actually true.
Speaker 2: If this is a hidden object game, don't say another words.
Speaker 3: I know this is actually a very sincere I'm hunt down the days true Fear for Saving from Part True for sa Consuls Part three, Part three?
Speaker 2: Is that a hidden object game?
Speaker 3: Yes? I totally did.
Speaker 2: Well, that's I mean, no actual game would be called that.
Speaker 1: I want to know why it's three parts? Is it one continuous. It's a saga, okay, So like, does each part have a like a mystery that they solve or is it?
Speaker 3: Like No, they're sequels, they're not. They're not self contained stories. So you get Cliffhanger, Cliff Wow. Is this the Is it a trilogy? I don't know if it's intended to be a trilogy or if it's working to have a part four and parts. Does it come out? I believe it comes out in March.
Speaker 2: Okay, And they released one of those every three months probably.
Speaker 3: This this particular company releases them like every five to sixty years like that, like the development cycle for these games. Unlike other hidden object games which are pumped out every single damn day. This company actually is very small, independent and does not use the engine that every hidden object game uses. They made this independently, so it's not part of like the big Fish Games nonsense or any of that crap.
Speaker 1: So no, what is big Fish For those who don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Tim Burton film. Big Fish Games is the probably the biggest distributor of hidden object games or in general, casual games. In most cases, a lot of games you'll find on the app store are probably published by Big Fish Games MHM, which I finally got the app for SO part three. So yes, true maybe maybe the end of a True Fear Part three or True Fear for Saken Soul's Part three.
Speaker 1: I hope they make like eight of them because I hope so too. I think trilogies are for lasers.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I could see them maybe wrapping up what is it True Fear Forsaken Identity Souls. I feel like they'll.
Speaker 1: Wrap up the Forsaken Soul's trilogy, but keep going with True Fear, you know, maybe like True you haven't even played them.
Speaker 2: I've played them all three.
Speaker 1: I think they should lean into are there any that like have like a like a character, you know, like it's one of the.
Speaker 3: Only hidden object games that has a continuation of a character.
Speaker 1: Of Ok, you know, like because I'm thinking like this old like you know, like like Tom Klantz is like Jack Ryan series, like like I want.
Speaker 3: I thought Tom Klans is the main character of all those games.
Speaker 1: And books.
Speaker 3: He's just writing around himself. Yeah, I thought I thought that was all autobiographical.
Speaker 1: I wish we've talked about this before about how hidden object games have a are like the potential for the genre. Actually like works. Well, I just had an idea remedy Alex Casey hidden object games, it's no brainer, That's what I'm saying. Like you solve cases as Alex Casey.
Speaker 3: It's a no brainer everything. They could make a series of them.
Speaker 2: I get sad about having that without James McCaffrey, though.
Speaker 3: I mean to put it in what it's worth. It's you know, you don't have to have a lot of these don't even have voice acting. Sure, that's true. All I'm saying is that there's so much opportunity left on the table because people ignore a genre because it like hidden object games, because it's like, oh, it's like it's casual games. Fuck.
Speaker 1: You know, I just neuinely think an Alex Casey an object game. I think that would do bangers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trust me, it's it's astonishing what it was like you it's it's it's a it's a genre and in form of game design that could be applied to anything, anything. And if you're just like, say, you know, Jake right here loves what do you love?
Speaker 2: He loves cyberpunk Horizon zero?
Speaker 3: Don okay? You love the Horizon zero dona okay? No, that's it. You love Horizon zero, I'm giving you a hard one. Could that work? I believe it, because well, they tried to.
Speaker 2: Make it a lego game and it didn't work very well.
Speaker 3: Well, that's because they just tried to put an action game that was already antion game into a softer action game, like a soft softer action genre. My whole idea is, say you've spent your entire day playing your favorite game series, Horizon zero.
Speaker 2: Don don't put those words in Forbidden West. Let's do Resue.
Speaker 3: We're gonna stick with Horizon zero Forbidden Dawn, and you've just spent all day playing it, and Jake's like, I just love these games. And then you you're tired, and you're like, I've had enough. I've explored this three D world. How can I continue my journeys? And you get in bed and then you open your phone or your iPad or something like that, and you can continue in that world, but not in like where it demands so much of your attention, where you're like, I'm just gonna I'm going to exist as a different character in this universe.
Speaker 2: And if I'm tired, why wouldn't I just go to sleep?
Speaker 3: Well fuck off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, but you know see what you're saying though, that's like it's.
Speaker 3: Extending the casualness of a year.
Speaker 1: But not only that, that is like exactly what Sony's trying to do with a franchise like Horizon. They're trying to take that thing and like throw it out to like everyone possible. They have like the VR game, they have the movie, they got the lego Horizon thing, and they have.
Speaker 3: And they have a whole demographic of fifty five year old women who they could.
Speaker 1: That they aren't tapping into exactly, like they're missing the obvious, the obvious target there.
Speaker 3: And maybe I gotta stop talking. I got to stop talking about this because I have a business venture ahead of me and I just need to start knocking on the doors and in every studio and being like I will, yeah, help make yours.
Speaker 1: I will help.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well you're hid an object adventure version.
Speaker 1: I mean I think I'll probably just quit and do that. Yep, you know, sounds pretty good, Yeah, no brainer. Xbox out of Showcase yesterday they showed well, they announced uh Ninja Goden four.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Then they announced Ninja Godden to Black that you could play that Day, which can I just say looked better than Tiler.
Speaker 3: They're showing that looks way better than the Ninja game. They just shoot weird.
Speaker 2: So it is a new game though, right or is it a remake not?
Speaker 1: So I had to look this up because I was like, wait, hold on, the Ninja Guiden naming convention is confusing as someone who doesn't actively because to be perfectly frank, I've only ever played the original Ninja Gaiden Black, which isn't even the original. I've played Ninja Goyden Black on the original Xbox same, which is a kick ass game.
Speaker 2: By the ways, you should.
Speaker 3: Go play it.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure it's backwards compatible on Xbox it is. That game is a like definitive edition of the original Ninja gaidon the original Xbox Nja Godden, not the original original Ninja Giden, which is like a ness game or whatever. So I was like, oh, okay, so Black is like their definitive edition. Term Ninja Goiden two came out on the three sixty. Then they did a definitive version of that game, but they called it Ninja Guiden Sigma, which I had to look this up already lost. I know Apparently that version of the game was like easier, they changed the enemies around.
Speaker 3: People don't like that version as much.
Speaker 2: So in like Sigma also like what they the Internet calls when they categorize males, you know about this stuff, like alpha beta beta is the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's in you. I don't know what. They may have a term for Ninjai and beta beta. Then everybody was just think that's the beta.
Speaker 1: They should make a Ninja guid In alpha and a Ninja Goden Beta, but they should make fight. But they should make the beta version the like hardest fuck version, and they should make the alpha version the like for babies version. Just there you go, free advice. Anyway, Ninja Guid and Sigma that was their definitive version of two in the same line as Black Right Originally okay and but but apparently people don't like that version as much because it's it's they changed things as the combat is kind of watered down or like, it's not as difficult. Apparently it's not as well received. I guess they did an HD collection at some point that took one, two, and three and put them all together.
Speaker 3: That exists.
Speaker 1: So now we come to today where they're like Ninja Guide into Black, which is a like another new definitive version of two undoing Sigma, undoing Sigma, but apparently also still has some elements of Sigma. I guess it still has some of the enemy design of Sigma. I saw some people saying they were disappointed. Get to that in a sect, because I did play some of it. But this is like where Sigma was just like we retooled it, changed the enemy designs around this is this is like a full on remake in Unreal Engine, and it looks incredible. I did play a few chapters last night. It looks great. It still looks amazing. It looks amazing, and it still feels like classic Ninja guid in, which is to say the camera is kind of floaty and becomes a distraction and you play it and you're like, right, I forgot this is how these games feel, because it definitely you're I'm so used to how like modern like action combat games feel now, and going back to that is kind of a shock. But once you get used to it.
Speaker 3: You're like.
Speaker 1: Ninja Gaiden kind of fucking rules. Man, It's just you're just cutting up dudes with a sword. Everything's like super fast and quick. Enemies are not really sponges, like you can like kill them instantly if you like hit them with like the right move at the right time. You could like there's just one move where if you just like nail eels, just immediately decapitate them and I'll tell you the shit fucking rolls.
Speaker 3: So you're saying it's not Wanted Dead. No, but Wanta Dead is still a better game.
Speaker 1: I will make no such claims for which one's better. I also haven't finished. I've so this is my first time playing Ninja Gaiden two. Is this version it's good. I'm enjoying it. I was like, man, I feel like this isn't that difficult or at least like as difficult as I remember Black being as a kid, the original Black and just the reputation of Ninja Gaiden two for being very hard hard, because Ninja gaid and two's reputation is harder than as being harder than the first one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was like, maybe it's.
Speaker 1: Just come older. I'm a gamer now, I've played from software games.
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 1: I looked it up and people were saying, apparently it carries over some of the like Sigma lesser enemies, so it's it's not as difficult as the first one. So I have seen people saying they're kind of disappointed in this belief a little bit, and that it it's not as hard as the original version of two no option. There's a couple of difficulty options. I don't know if that changes things. I'm all saying this purely based on just like what I've experienced and then me looking up like what the fuck is the deal with this thing and the billion versions of it? So that's just all I know for now, So I can't comment on it as like a hardcore Ninja Gaiden fan, but all I can say is like, I'm having a good time with it so far. It's fun, it's cool.
Speaker 3: It looks better. It looks great than what Nina. I'm not saying that Ninja gud four looks bad, by the way, It's just was interesting to see a game of those. And then also they showed this other thing and it just.
Speaker 2: Looked obvious and it ended without today It's like, wait a second, yeah I expected this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, but it was definitely like this game looks really like it, like to the point I think all of us in the office were confused, were like, is this a new another new new Indiges kind of game, like, because it looks so good and ually it's weird.
Speaker 1: So it is strange, and I'm curious with the reasoning. I mean, they're, you know whatever, like the game's not yet well. But yes, I agree that it was like this jarring, like you show one, you show the other, and you're just like, that looks better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would rather be playing this one, whatever this is. That was one of the things.
Speaker 1: So that was one thing. The other thing I wanted to bring up from the showcase. Did you guys watch the Doom?
Speaker 3: I did. They didn't see all of it.
Speaker 2: I saw parts of it.
Speaker 1: I want to get your opinion on this because I watched it. I think it actually looks kind of dull imber.
Speaker 2: We were kind of talking about that, so like.
Speaker 1: I like, I I it's weird. It looks slow and way more like you're just standing there.
Speaker 3: I pitch. Yeah, but that's like a worst pitch. I know, you know where they're like the run, you're gonna stand your grind. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. First they're like fight sixteen, run and gun, and you're like great, and they're like do maternal jump and shoot and you're like, yeah, that came rules, And they're like this one stand and fight, and you're like, well, that is the least interesting mechanically, those three options and all of everything they showed was just like slowly walking up ping the guy pairying.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh, no, I mean a little. I'm a little worried. Now. This is me not defending it. But I have learned in my and and yeah, in my tenure of seeing games versus playing games and having an opinion of what a game looks like and then you get your hands on that game and it feels different. It is. It is tough. I do think it's tough because I personally, I don't think anyone I think you're fair to judge watching gameplay. And but it's hard to have an assumption of how the game is gonna feel based on that because I there's, like I said, there's been so many times where I've gone hands on with the game and it looks just as stiff as it was, but the feeling of actually playing is a lot different. And so I get really like, no, no, no, I agree, I disagree with you, by the way.
Speaker 1: No, and and and I think that's fair to say, because I also don't want to like preemptively judge it too harshly, and you know, my opinion could change. But that was just a thing I noticed, and and it made me kind of think about like how Doom Eternal had such a backlash for being so mechanically dense and and so fast paced to the point of like turning off a lot of people. And I'm like, this, everything they're saying feels like them really taking that criticism to heart and maybe like trying to make a Doom that goes in in like another direction, which I'm i isn't necessarily a bad thing, because it's like, if I want to play Doom Maternal, I could play Doom Maternal. And I like the idea of like each of these Doom games having its own flavor.
Speaker 3: But there is.
Speaker 1: I really fucking love Doo Maternal, and I think that game, like I don't want to tell people they're wrong, but there is a part of me that's just like I do think I think that game is somewhat misunderstood, and I think that's different from not liking it.
Speaker 3: I think I do think there's a DNA thing with it. For me personally, because I do agree with a lot of criticisms that that game's overdesigned. But when I do play that game, that game matches my the waves of my brain, like it can just sit there and everything. It's like Tetris. I always compare it to Tetris like people have. I mean, I have this with Tetris do but people get to this flow state with Tetris where they just like zone out and they're going. And when I play Do Maternal, that's what happens. And it's great because when I used to play that game with people with like friends in the room, many of my friends who don't really play games or would watch that gameplay. It's I have no fucking idea what's happening to watch but and I'm just ah, like just going and going and going, and I feel like, I don't know. People, Yeah, that's the thing. People were like, it feels impossible what you're doing when when they're watching that game. Anyways, so I get it, but watching this reveal is like it did feel like I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that's the thing is is where we're watching Doom Maternal, not even playing it, just watching it. You're like, fuck, yeah, just oh my god, I can't look away. We're watching this the Doom the Dark Ages. I was like, okay, I'm not doesn't quite have that same you know, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Thrilled about the dragon writing stuff either.
Speaker 3: When we saw that, it looks a little I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think like the mech part they showed looked just kind of a little floaty mech.
Speaker 3: Part was weird to me because they're like, this is the ultimate power fantasy if you're being big and punching big monsters, but when you actually see them, it's just they just like when you do, when you're the same size as them. How does that feeling, how any different than being on the ground with big fucking monsters is and tearing through them. I agree it was, it didn't really translate the exact same, yeah, crazy feeling, other than you having to tell yourself I'm going to big fucking mac punch a big yeah.
Speaker 1: I Also, the one of the things I don't dislike about Eternal, but it was like, it's not super for me, is like how pulpy comic bookie like fourteen year old boy that game leans into in its narrative, like there there is a part of it that I think works and is, but I can tell like they're even leaning further into that in this one, and I'm like, at what point does this go from like cool to like kind of stupid?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Well, like they don't want a story line and whenever they.
Speaker 1: End exactly so, so like I think, I think Doom Ride is a very thin line where it can be like yeah, this is cool to like this is kind.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, just tell me to kill demons and that's how you know, have a guy being like to take care of It's a.
Speaker 1: Tough it's a tough ride line to.
Speaker 3: Bid. I will also say I do think the reveal of the Doom twenty sixteen one is like unmatched. They're so like the original reveal of that and showing like the first time when you tear you know the part and then like get the chainsaw and are flying through and like there's a rhythm and flow to how that reveal works that like is so grounded and so cool that it almost you get to a point when you see some like this and you're desensitized by like it's just lots of monsters and there's lots of shit. It's yeah, big things. And I also have this whole theory that the idea of the spectacle is dying. Like I don't think a lot of us are phased anymore by over the top spectacles because over the past ten years we've had Disney and Marble just beat it into our skulls to the point where it's things that are so fantastic and so big just feel like everything it's like the idea of like that's depressing. Yeah yeah, well, I mean then it just means that you should feel it. To me, I want things that it's only an opportunity to make things that are less important feel more intense right.
Speaker 1: Well, And to be fair, like I think they they seem to recognize that we're like after Doom Eternal, it's like, well where do you go from there? And switching it to a medieval setting.
Speaker 3: I do think.
Speaker 4: Like like that that's something that gives it a different feel going for like hey, maybe we should like take a step back and it's it's you know, slower paced or like this, Like they maybe do recognize it.
Speaker 3: It's just a matter of like, God, it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Got to play it, but that's still grinding gun. That's still pretty cool. So you know, you know the solution for Bethesda for Bethesda, yeah, Wolfenstein three, so we need yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so they got them making other another good game. I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: I was telling Jake I because I need to go back and finishing Dana Jones and I had on Xbox originally, and I'm like, I really want to play this game on my PC. And I was like, wait a minute, Xbox play anywhere I can play it on my PC. So now I'm like really excited and I want to go home this weekend and like play it on my PC with my ultra wide monitor. And that game like feels like it's made for ultra wide because it has the anamorphic box, which actually like gives you more real estate on the cut scenes. Like I'm like, oh, I've been playing the fucking full screen VHS version of this game, you yeah, modified for my TV. I need to play the actual, like proper the way it was meant to be experienced.
Speaker 3: I'm excited for doing because I like do and.
Speaker 1: Me too, I am. Yes, to be perfectly clear, I'm still.
Speaker 3: Excited, but it's it's I I almost it's very difficult for me to have many reactions to trailers in any regard. Sure, that's why you never put me on a live reacts stream for a trailer, because I will look like I'm made of stone.
Speaker 2: What if, though, you did one and we shot you?
Speaker 3: Oh if I mean with a gun? Yeah, yeah I would. I would show up every day. Yeah that's great, and do it. If we did one, yeah, exab, I'll put that in my back pocket. We do another one for doom. I have an idea for what.
Speaker 2: Okay Chainsaw, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Nie, I want to know something you've been doing that isn't game related. I want to switch it up first.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I've been listening to White Snake. Tell me about that. Well. I only say that because I was listening a White Snake and I walk to work today and I only and it feels like fake because You're like I want to know, And I just immediately was like, what love is? It popped me, like I want to know what love is? That's anyways, okay. I like White Snake. It's a band from the eighties and the guitarist who was on the self titled album died last week, and oh oh wow, yeah is that? What was that? What motivated you to no. I I I've often White Snake is in my normal gat chasion, but I didn't. I just had learned that do you to know who Steve Vaia is? The guitarist?
Speaker 1: The name sounds familiar but not.
Speaker 3: He's a nootly finger noodle man on the strings. But I didn't realize this, that he was the one who took the place of that guitarist on the on the album that followed. So today I was listening to Slip of the Tongue by White Snake. It's okay, but the first album fucking rips. That's it. That's not that that doesn't have to be my answer, it's just that's all. It was relevant to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've been unpacking, so it's not been all that interesting.
Speaker 3: Do you listen to music when you unpacked?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I've been listening to uh No, unfortunately not uh no.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys listen to mac Miller at all. But his second posthumous album just released last week or so Mac Miller.
Speaker 3: Is not the one who's dead.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so sorry. Yeah, second postume. That's why I was confused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it released and it's good. I mean it's really good. I mean a lot of times postumus albu feel like cash grabs. They feel like they've been unfinished because they were intended to.
Speaker 3: Be at least them just taking like unused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like taking like demos, recordings that that maybe got cut from other albums, or maybe stuff they recorded but just never finished. And usually they'll have other producers come in and do it. However, mac Miller's estate has done like a very good job of like treating his stuff, his like posthumous stuff really well. Yeah, and this album is like very experimental. It was all recorded I think in a period of like twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: But as much as I'm.
Speaker 2: Enjoying it, I forgot how much I love his first posthumous record called Circles, which is more like R and B than hip hop. It's just very well written, well produced, and I've been listening.
Speaker 3: To that a lot.
Speaker 1: It's sad too, but you know, sometimes you gotta listen to sad music while you're unpacking.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, So there you go, two music examples.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Why But also I guess the other part of it is I have a record player that I haven't been able to set up in so long. So I've been listening two records like set it Up, putting on records and in Vibe in as I as I unpacked.
Speaker 3: Mostly done on your go to record.
Speaker 1: To pull out, like if you had, what's the one you pull out the most often.
Speaker 2: As of late, probably Igor Tyler, the creators twenty nineteen breakup album, It's amazing. Also not really hip hop, even though he's known for hip hop. It's just you know, I've been doing that some country.
Speaker 3: Favorite album? Was that favorite album?
Speaker 2: Favorite album of all time? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good loaded question, Jesus Christ. First one that comes to your head doesn't have to be the answer. And I know whatever one you probably in Rainbows by radio Head, Oh fucking yeah, I know it's gonna come up the internet.
Speaker 2: Your favorite album, No, right away, the first thing that comes to your head, you fucking rat Tears for Fear songs with the Big Chair.
Speaker 3: Oh you had that I had. I had like an awakening moment like a few years ago, and you're you're just confident, like I. It's just one of those like it's it's one of those albums that I had listened to obsessively a point in my life, probably to a nauseum and then stopped. But every single time it would like leak on the radio, leak into moments, it would like there wasn't a single answer me that wouldn't want to immediately imagine the next song playing and like the next part of that album playing. And then I just kind of had this epiphany of like looking back and all the music I've listened to in my life, and I just been like, this is the one that I don't think I can get sick of. If it was just on repeat constantly, or every single time I listened to it, I like hear something new or feel something different about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's kind of how I feel about En Rainbow. It's like I listened to it, listened to listen to it to death for years, and then stopped, and every time I hear it, I'm like.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna listen to the rest of it, you know, Yeah, do you have one?
Speaker 1: John, I don't really listen to albums, So I'm like really trying to think, and I I'm like, nothing's just popping in there right now.
Speaker 3: That's okay. It's a difficult question. And also it's with the assumption that everyone listens to albums and treats music that way. Yeah, and so forth.
Speaker 2: It's definitely like took the while to realize. I mean, I guess not. I guess I knew it from like people in high school and stuff, but like, yeah, a lot of people just like pick songs listen to songs individuals, which I do at times, but most of the time that people's.
Speaker 3: iPods in high school was a disaster, like this song, this song, but.
Speaker 2: They don't want these songs and put the whole album.
Speaker 3: More in the case where you would go to an artist's you'd realize they had five different spellings of the same artist, so it would be that guns gun and Rose or guns n' Roses, gun and Roses, and it would be like four and then when you click on that, you would realize that the albums were like split up in each one of them, so like the songs were all different. I was like, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 1: It's something kind of interesting because when we grew up, uh, you know, it was like radio play was more important, So I feel like the emphasis was on singles over albums.
Speaker 3: I mean, that was that was the thing that got YouTube right.
Speaker 1: But nowadays, because of Spotify, albums are actually way more important because it's more about alth well not just the algorithm, like the way people listen to it, where it's like you go in and you like the album.
Speaker 3: Yeah new Kendrick dropt whole.
Speaker 1: Album, and like they want you to like go through the entire album to make because the idea of having like a one breakout single isn't as important as like listening to the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I find that very interesting.
Speaker 2: But to be honest, I I hate single Like I hate when an artist releases the same time. I'm always like just wait, just save it for the album because if I like it, then I listened to it a bunch and then the album comes out and I'm like not over it. But it's just kind of like a like just then, Like that's what Kendrick did with it. He's just released it out of the blue, and yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Kind of had I'm okay if you release us a song, sure two songs, especially if it's not actually on the album, like I I mean also at Kendrick did release a lot of singles that weren't on the album that like got a bunch of play and had that single uh a drive.
Speaker 2: I guess and then the album had nothing to do with.
Speaker 1: It, So I guess one I had an interesting experience. One artists I do actually listen to a lot is Ginger Root right now, and they had a couple EPs that they did over the last few years that like kind of changed up their sound was really fresh.
Speaker 3: I was into. And then this.
Speaker 1: Year they or I guess last year technically they finally put out like a full album that was kind of a continuation of that sound and like it's good, but it didn't like grab me the way the EPs did, because like I already heard that new sort of like style and sound that they were going for in the EP. So by the time like the full like album dropped, I was just like, oh, yeah, it's more of that. It was like kind of interesting now, Like it wasn't bad. It was just like, oh huh, anyway, just a weird observation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Video games, I've been playing Path of Exile too a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never played the original Path of Exile. I of came out in this period where it was like post Diabolo three, where people were like not into Diablo three or at least like it was different enough, and people were kind of like, it's not Diablo too, and Patavegasil said, you know you want Diabolo too, We'll make that for you, and so like that's kind of what Patvexil was playing Pat of ex Al too. Now for myself, it is like so blatantly clear, like this is just like it's just Diablo, like everything about the aesthetic, the world design, And I do not mean this as a negative, like I'm like like this sounds like I'm being like a derogatory, but like I'm not like it's but it's just like, oh, you basically just said, like what if we make an alternative Diablo for people that aren't happy with current Diablo for whatever reason, either if it's like the gameplay or maybe they just don't like modern activision Blizzard and don't want to support them, but like the esthetic, the level design, the movement. Like I'm just like, I'm basically playing like Diablo without the name Diablo.
Speaker 3: But isn't they all like the skill tree it's supposed to.
Speaker 1: Be Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that and I was like maybe this is not my.
Speaker 1: Now now it is less to be fair once you actually understand it. It's like you realize that because the way it works is like you have a starter class, but at any point you can you can turn your character into a different class. You can like go down a different tree, so you will never actually like fill up that whole tree, You just go down one path. Could it be laid out in a way that looks less like.
Speaker 3: I think more things need to look scary.
Speaker 1: I I kind of go back and forth on it where part of me goes like, maybe this isn't the best thing, but maybe they just want it. I think they want it to look like that because the people who are into it are those sickos that see it and go, yeah, oh I'm gonna I'm gonna put so much fucking time into this game, Like goddamn.
Speaker 2: I think if I were to play Path of Eggs out too, I'd probably pay people to like juice my account. Yeah, I'd get to MA.
Speaker 1: That's typically against terms of services, is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You get banned for that? You know, well you probably shouldn't do that. Definitely shouldn't stay on a podcast, should be a banned for that though? Interest from existence? Yeah, I mean yeah, anyway to think about much to think.
Speaker 3: About it's good.
Speaker 1: I like it so far. I'm not very far in. I'm like just about to finish the first act. It's interesting because the game is free to play, but to have to play the early Access, which is currently in right now, you do have to buy it still for like thirty bucks. I don't know how that's going to work when it fully releases, Like do they do?
Speaker 3: We know?
Speaker 1: No. I think they're shooting for this year, but they haven't said. The current version has three acts. There's going to be six acts total when the full thing releases. But they also do have the endgame content in there at least like a portion of it, so like you can still grind out and do all that stuff after you like get halfway through the campaign. By being perfectly honest, I think the campaign is good in terms of it just being like a fun Diablo style campaign where it's very traditional Diablo, where it's like you go to a new area, every area feels very different, but it's small. It's self contained to do your thing, you move on. It's not open world the way four is. Actually don't like the way Forest structured open world because I found myself just like moving around too much and it felt like I'm taking I'm just wasting time, like walking from places and I'm not doing things. So I find like the pacing of this game way stronger than four. But yeah, it's like a fun campaign, like I'm like having a really good time, and for like thirty bucks, I'm like, i feel like I'm getting my money's worth, and like the free to plainness of it, at least in this early access portion, is not affecting my gameplay at all. It seems purely cosmetic from what I've seen. It's it's not like other like Diablo games. Like if you were to compare this to I guess like the closest comparison would kind of be like a Diablo Immortal, right, because that was like free to play mobile game, right, and that had like all the gotcha mechanics shoving it down your throat, like so clearly like you can like juice your account by like paying for it. I don't think there's a way to really do that in this game, Like all the stuff you buy is just cosmetic. Well, okay, the one thing you could do is I think you can buy more like stash slots, So that's maybe the one thing you can pay for, but as far as like you're not paying for like better roles of things, like you just have to play the game. And at no point have I felt like I've been gated by not like oh you know, I have to would I would have to grind more if I if I bought it so like bought the currency. So I'm just playing through it and having a really good time, and I'm like, man, this is like this is cool, like this is scratching that itch and it like looks it looks funny, nomenal, it feels good. It's a little slower paced, you know, in a way that reminds me more of a Diablo too that I kind of like over for I don't know, I'm just having a I'm having a really good time with it. I'm like, wow, this is fun and I'm playing it with with with Georgia.
Speaker 3: Thank god now that you're playing with Georgia, but you're having a good time. Yeah, and then who cares about her? But it's it's good.
Speaker 1: Uh the story is nothing, but also I think that's okay. It's fine, Like like I've people have talked to me like you talk to characters.
Speaker 3: And they would love to play and fucking serious is this game?
Speaker 1: They might as well be like I'm just like I could hear less about what you're saying, Like I'm actively skipping dialogue. But I also don't think that is like I don't think you're really coming to this game for for story. It's just like, say a thing, what go to the CEMETERI and killed the skeletons. Great, perfect, All that matters every Diablo game.
Speaker 3: I just skipped the c I like, look at him for a bit.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wow, that looks cool.
Speaker 3: Skip. I don't get games.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, I think Diablo has really good, like iconic visual in a way that Blizzard knows how to do, where like the look of like the angels or like just like the different prime evils, like they look cool. The actual like moment to moment story has always been like I actually did kind of like four story.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing too, is like, especially with four, I didn't play it right away. Friends are trying to get me to play it. I load in and They're like, oh, you just got to getrough gutorials and I'm just like, okay, skip, scared and I don't give a shit, Like just don't I don't need to know this story. Just let me hit things with friends.
Speaker 1: And the best thing that Forehead going was they got Ralph Ennis and just hearing his voice, you're like, oh, I could just listen to you.
Speaker 3: Who's this? Uh he's he's uh.
Speaker 1: He's he's did you see like The Witch with Robert Eggers, He's the he's the dad who's got the deepest guy.
Speaker 3: He was the guy in Final Fans seeing. Yeah, he sounds insane.
Speaker 1: That's just how he sounds. I know, there was a great he has a great.
Speaker 3: There was a film that I watched that he was No, not that one.
Speaker 2: He was in the first Doman That's it.
Speaker 3: And I every time he was on screen, it was almost hard to digest the scene because that's what it sounds like. There's I can't even do it right now, But did you like that? I actually love it.
Speaker 2: I loved the first one. That was one of my favorite movies last year. I think so many people slept on it. I think it's a I was. I think I used to say it's a very I don't know if this makes sense, but it's like a very honest attempt at trying to make a good horror film. Which is probably a weird sentence, but what I mean by that is like it felt like it felt sincere in ways that I thought movies like Immaculate felt like fucking piss.
Speaker 3: I hated it well.
Speaker 2: That director, I don't know how much you looked into it. It has done like one short film and nothing for twelve years. They nailed it and did this, and I was like, where the fuck did that come from?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I think First Oven is great because it like had such a strong direction, Like the ending felt like the studio was like, all right, but we gotta put this in.
Speaker 1: But well, this happens a lot with horror movies, but they is always like you gotta do a thing you know I'm talking about right, like the.
Speaker 3: Very end where oh yeah, you know you're talking about yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. That guy's voice is iconic wild. I also just find it funny because his voice is amazing. But then in Final Fantasy was a sixteen one where he looks like a little the character face model is like, so is such a contrast to what that voice is. This goes back to my whole problem with Embrace. Please, I'm so sick of attractive, Like in quotes because it's fucking subjective. Sure, attractive, the idea of an attractive person. It's one of the biggest why is why I like, I like my eyes, like staying when I look at Dragon Age vail Guard. But like in Final Fantasy sixteen, when you see that guy and you hear his voice, it's like it's such a distant make him like, I don't know, just like make him look like, fuck, you're pretty boy, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's why I thought he was a perfect casting in Diablo four because he's just like old man beer balding, grumpy, grumpy as fuck, and they're like, yeah, great, that's exactly who he should be doing. Yeah, and he's an okay actor. Yeah, I agree, he's more than just a voice.
Speaker 3: No, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's just great in The Witch.
Speaker 3: Like long time but I thought it was good.
Speaker 2: But his performance in The Witch is just because it's like all old English, like you can't understand half the things are saying. But here the entire film, the way he delivers it all, it's like, whoa man? Yeah, have you.
Speaker 3: Been playing any other games, Jake?
Speaker 2: I actually have a new game that I can talk a little bit about. I haven't played as much as I want, but I've been playing Kingdom Come Deliverance too.
Speaker 3: We can talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a preview and Bargo that lifted I think last week. Ok there's like I can only talk about up to a certain point, but I think it's like ten hours in the game, and I played like three, okay, if three. I played a good amount of the first one. I really liked what the first one was trying to do. I liked how it kind of committed to its mechanics and its themes in a way that felt uncompromising. However, the jankiness because I played it at launch, because I'd do it for coverage. Yeah, and I think after a while those mechanics started to get annoying.
Speaker 1: That's why I stopped playing that game, and I didn't finish it.
Speaker 2: I stopped as much as I was enjoying it, but I had a lot of appreciation for a lot that they were doing, Like, for example, like one of my favorite missions in that game, the request that I will remember is when you go hunting and you like think like, oh yeah, I'll just take a bow and shoot things, and then you're like, wait a second, Henry's never fired a bow before. Of course he doesn't know how to work this, and you're like this thing all the time. It was like hunting for forty five minutes for a stupid rabbit, and I like it starts to get dark. I'm getting hungry, and I finally kill the rabbit and come back and it's just like it. I love that like commitment to it, even if I get sick of it after a while. But what I've played of Kingdom Come Deliverance too, it seems to follow that same vein. However, because of like how much more confident they kind of seem with that style, I'm more into it so far. Part of that has to do with the visual presentation, Like it looks incredible. The all the cut.
Speaker 1: Scenes are like I don't remember if Kingo Come Deliverance had like proper cut scenes.
Speaker 2: It was all it did. It did they were a little they're okay, yeah, I mean in this they look amazing. I mean, I've been playing on PC ultra wide and I'm finding the story pretty compelling so far.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: It's the same guy, right, you still plays like Henry.
Speaker 2: You still play as Henry's a continuation.
Speaker 1: Name is Henry, Like like Hey, Henry, there's something so funny about Like it's like old England, Like everyone's like kings in this and you're like, you're just some loser guy named Henry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody.
Speaker 2: That was part of the story too. He's just like a blacksmith son Yeah, yeah, kind of finds his way into Because it's.
Speaker 1: A sequel and you're playing as him, does he start out like with more skills so like you don't have the or do they like nerve him, Like is it like a metroid?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: It is somebody broke, But I think it actually kind of works the way it happens.
Speaker 3: Does it open with you being like demeaned by someone and like destroying yourself esteem so you have to build yourself back up?
Speaker 2: Not quite? Not quite?
Speaker 1: Or like Wolfenstein too, where you're in like a wheelchair for the first.
Speaker 3: Half of a game.
Speaker 2: Yes, but like at the end of the day, if you play King ofcom Deliverance and like you didn't like the combat, you didn't like the fact that you were babysitting this character, you're not gonna like this. But I think if maybe you played the original and kind of like hit a point where you thought it was too much to kind of deal with constantly. I think you might like this just given how how like much more polished and and I say polished, like based on my experience, I haven't had any issues. Sure, I know other people have had issues. I know there are bugs, especially with like the safe systems kind of wonky because like the original if you remember, but you can only have one safe slot yep. So like if a quest breaks, you just you know, it's kind of kind of screwed, you know, but I'm really enjoying it. One other like weird standout thing was there's one quest where they're like, oh, you have to like a brew a potion or whatever. You have to collect some ingredients.
Speaker 1: And I figured I'd pull up a menu, but no, he like has a book and he sets it to the side. You like look at the book and then it's like, okay, you need this base and you like see him pull it off the shelf and you like select it and put it in. Wow, and it's like, okay, you got to low it to the fire. Let it boil. Okay, Now you can add the CAM a meal. And you add the CAM a meal, you have to like it off, flip a timer. Wait thirty seconds and then bring it back down and it's so involved, and I feel like it'll probably be really fucking annoying after a while, but in the moment, I'm like, this is the shit I love.
Speaker 2: Like it's just it's it's like very Red Dead code.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that Red Dead two like, but even maybe more extreme.
Speaker 2: And maybe like at some point, like because you can also with brewing, you can like you can brew a lot if you want, and it'll still take the about the same amount of time, So maybe there's ways to sort of speed it up, or maybe skill trees can can kind of change that. But I just love how like tactile that game feels. I and I was thinking about what I was playing some of this morning. I was thinking about a lot of like my feelings on Cyberpunk, and like that game I definitely came around on in a big way, and I and now I think of Cyberpunk in like a very positive manner, especially that that expansion. But I think like one of the things that I really felt like Cyberpunk was missing was just sort of like that tactile experience, Like you couldn't like sit on a like go to a bar, sit at the seat and just get a drink. You couldn't like.
Speaker 1: You could only do it when it was there was a story cut scene where you would do that.
Speaker 2: If you ate food, it would just like you'd see like a thing men you pop up, you know, and this it's like like you wake up and like he's like I should eat some stew and he like goes over and leans and and it's just that tactile feeling that I think for RPGs, I find so important for me because that's what really pulls me into that world. And I know it's like a fucking pain in the ass to animate and design and develop for that, and I don't expect like every game to do it, but I think.
Speaker 1: With Cyberpunk it made sense because the whole thing was they were the pitch of that game was like you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna live in exact city.
Speaker 1: It's real place, and like they want so it's like you do want to go more Red Dead two versus like GTA five, I think, where like GTA for me it's like, nah, I just want to like run around and chaos, Like I don't really care about run over, sitting down and meticulously eating like a burrito or whatever.
Speaker 3: Oh, that'd be kind of funny if you could do that.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, we're a Red Dead. You're like, I want to walk into the store and I want to flip through the catalog and live.
Speaker 3: In that world. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, on top of that, I'll say, like the voice acting is really I'm really impressed by the voice acting. So yeah, like I said, I've only played a couple hours. I'm really excited to play more. Like I don't know if I'll finish it. I wonder if like I'll hit a similar wall like I did with the first one, where it's like, Okay, I can't, I can't do this anymore. But as of now, very excited to keep going. See what else that game has in store?
Speaker 3: Awesome. Do you like have to pee and poop?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't three hours in.
Speaker 2: I don't think so you you do have to like wash and shower and clean because people will like is that a mini game?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: But like you go to a Troughton okay, but but if you go to a Troughton clean, you can only get so clean.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: But like if you're like you know, running around fighting and stuff, you get dirty and or like someone will throw poop on you.
Speaker 3: Is what happened. You know, game you can use you have to use the bathroom in.
Speaker 2: Depending on what you do deadly premonish you.
Speaker 3: No, I was gonna say, lower line laser eyes. Don't you drink too much coffee? Your gets full? Do you have to use the bathroom deadly? You can, right, but you don't.
Speaker 1: Have you shave, that's shave and shower, Yeah, so that you have to the flies don't buzz around your head.
Speaker 3: You have that. That's it and even like there's really no consequences for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just the you lose arbitrary, must just have a beer and flies will be doesn't run in cut scenes, which is very funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hilarious when that happens. You're right. Yeah, you lose like arbitrary. Yeah, you lose money. You lose money, but the money is like it's like comes so easy, Like you get money just for driving.
Speaker 1: For a long time, and yeah, the money is like inconsequential.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also it's like forty dollars for like crackers from a venting.
Speaker 3: It's so funny. Yeah. Anyways, but you know, if they add an update to PP you know another play through, right, there. Yeah, yeah, I mean stalker to One of my favorite bugs is just watching a person walking while hey man, hey's stalker guy. He's just piss is coming out of his pants.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: Yes, have you been playing anything? No?
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for listening to game Spot after Dark episode play Shivers polatry Geist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which you know what that is? I mean I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where'd you rank it?
Speaker 3: Tears? It was a good one. It was just ended too soon. I think it's better than the first one. Shiver Timbers, the Vanishing Hitchhiker. What did you say me?
Speaker 2: Timbers?
Speaker 3: That's the third one? Shiver me Timbers? Is there a pirate? That's the one where it's left in the dark? To one on board? The pirate of It?
Speaker 1: That's my favorite name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, left in the dark, no one on board?
Speaker 1: This isn't there another part to the titler?
Speaker 3: Is that? What's it? I think that's it. It's just a fucking insane on the dark, no one on It's like yeah, it's almost like, uh it's yeah, it's like abandoned at the street corner and your pants are undone. I don't know. That actually kind of could make sense. And yeah, I mean somebody turned out the lights. Forsaken souls.
Speaker 1: Anyways, No grocery store is closing.
Speaker 3: Is your mom home? Yeah? Yeah, it has to be. It has to feel like, uh, call, like you have to make a phone call. The grocery store is closed. Yeah, I don't know. The mailman. Let me try one.
Speaker 1: I got nothing great. I thought you're gonna say red. I just see colors. I was the male man is late. Where is your dog?
Speaker 3: Yep? Exactly yep? And then that game has nothing to do with dogs or the mail man. Yeah. Yeah, it's a pirate game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fire game.
Speaker 3: The no. But I bought a bunch of games over the holiday break and I played none of them. That's not true. I played three hours of one. As I played three hours one that I actually did not end up enjoying, even though I left a really good first impression, but I got real tired of it, which was sorry, We're closed. That was the game that I think has like a really really strong start and a really strong like puts the right foot forward to get me excited, but then it falls into the traps of games I do not like, which is characters and drama and relationships that do not mean anything to me. It's a very relationship focused game and that's and that's great. Totally fine with that, but it doesn't I get very if you've listened to the podcast. I just have a problem, I know, with drama and storytelling in such a way, and I don't have patience for people's fucking bullshit.
Speaker 1: I feel like I keep recommending games to you that happened.
Speaker 3: Well, you didn't recommend Sory We're Closed. I recommend No.
Speaker 1: I recommended Homecoming, Homebody Home. That was one of those. It's kind of like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's fine. I think it's totally fine. I would I would absolutely suggest people play Sorry We're Closed. I think there's a lot of cool, like old school gameplay elements to it that they do it, and it's like almost like a suit of sure fifty one way or Grasshoppers should be more specific. Otherwise, No, I didn't touch anything else.
Speaker 1: You played Mouthwashing, right, not yet you happy?
Speaker 3: That's one of the games I bought that I just didn't touch. I put that's one of those games where the demo did not leave a good impression on me. Okay, I just didn't play it, but based on praise from you know, Jake and other you know.
Speaker 1: I finally played Over the Break and I quite enjoyed it. Okay, so yeah, I thought the ending went a little They could have cut like fifteen minutes at the end of that game and it could have been a little stronger.
Speaker 3: But I did like I didn't like.
Speaker 2: The valves though, no turning the valves.
Speaker 3: I like, turn in the valves, get a valve.
Speaker 1: Simulator for I think that game could have just been like trimmed a little bit at the end, but otherwise I did enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like the demo didn't leave the biggest impression on me, but based on people's recommend I mean just excitement about it, I'm going to be it is.
Speaker 1: And this is like not a criticism against the game. It's one of those things where I'm like, man, I think I would have because I enjoyed it, but but also I wasn't like that changed my life, which it doesn't need to. But it's just well, I think it's.
Speaker 3: The expectation is dwarfed when people are.
Speaker 1: I think if I had present this was a game that I just randomly picked out of Steam having never heard of and played it, I think I would have been.
Speaker 3: Like, wow, that's how I played the demo blew me away.
Speaker 1: Like maybe I would have felt strongly bad it, but like having it's just a consequence of you know, you hear it get talked up so much, and then you finally play and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, that was good, Like you should just stop listening to everyone except for Jake and me and this podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean I think for me, I think I mention it before, but like.
Speaker 1: I didn't really have fun playing that game, Like I enjoyed parts of it, and I was appreciated that you're supposed to have a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, it was definitely it definitely felt pretty delayed, like it was like a couple of days, even like a week later, as I was like still putting things together in a way, and I was like, oh, that's pretty fucked up.
Speaker 3: I see why that character.
Speaker 2: Said that or did that.
Speaker 3: Ye, And like there are certain.
Speaker 2: Moments that I thought were like very well done. I mean, the the the street Light monologue in particular, I thought was like very.
Speaker 1: Ah, I forget that character's name, but Swanse yeah, like Swanse or Swanse yeah, Swansea everything. I think he's the strongest character and like a lot of the stuff he said stuck with me. Yeah, and very like, oh man, that is cynical as fuck, I know, and like like that monologue was so cynical and like you never see that in games, you know, like you find him in books and movies, sure, but like I feel like you rarely ever see anything. It was like it was someone who's really like yeah beaten.
Speaker 2: And I that was written in how like anyway, I thought that moment was very powerful for me.
Speaker 3: It's cool, but I think.
Speaker 1: Like as I was playing it, I was like, Okay, that's cool, but like I'm still not having fun, Like I had to force myself to get through that game.
Speaker 2: So I do agree with you. I think like they probably could have shaved off fifteen hours, right, Yeah, I think it took me like almost three hours.
Speaker 1: I think I didn't two, and it did in one setting, so it's like a one setting thing. But yeah, it's there's there's moments where that game tries to be more like Gamy, and I think that's where it kind of falls apart a little bit where I'm just like no, like I actually just.
Speaker 3: Kind of preferred it.
Speaker 1: When I just walked down a hallway and story stuff happened, and then like, I appreciate that you try to mix it up, but I found that to actually, like bog Down the Pacing, there's a pretty big like community who were like into that game though no it's like.
Speaker 2: There's a cause play and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, people are like really into it, and to be fair, people bleep out the main characters and name for like like yeah, because they don't wanna Yeah. I also like do think that game is like cool and different and ambitious, and I definitely like am going to pay attention to that developer and like what they make next, just because I'm like, Okay, I think you guys make interesting stuff like so even if, like you know, it didn't fully work for me, I'm obviously gonna like I think they're cool.
Speaker 2: So I hope you hate it.
Speaker 3: Oh, whatever happens happens, never happens happens. I'm notoriously the person who doesn't take recommendations, but everything I consume is actually a recommendation.
Speaker 2: I know you do. You do take a lot of recommend I take.
Speaker 3: I take them all, and I take It's like I take all recommendations very seriously, except for ones when I know. I don't give a fuck like and that's fine. Ted La like ted Lasso, don't fucking recommend me to.
Speaker 1: Also, you were you ended up on the right side.
Speaker 3: No ship, It's called intuition. Anyway.
Speaker 1: There's been an episode of games Spot after Dark.
Speaker 3: We're coming back. We're coming back. We're here. That's good.
Speaker 1: I like how I like this. People can't see it. I like this desk we have because I'm able to. But I like I like that.
Speaker 3: Max back there and he's not Max Bomenthal. He's nodding.
Speaker 1: I like the desk because I can see you two. I feel like the energy. The energy is good in here. I'm enjoying it. I like that there aren't like awkward pieces of wood like trapping my leg side. I do find my soul fiddling with this. I might throw these away or get it.
Speaker 3: You know, get a little fidget thing.
Speaker 1: Just I just fit fidget with that.
Speaker 3: I think that's fine. It's part of.
Speaker 1: This has been Game Spot after Dark. Thank you both for tuning in being here, Thanks for wanting me to be here. Thank you much for leaving your phone at the door. Thanks for leaving your phone at the door. Thank you Max in the back, who is like running this Now.
Speaker 3: You're gonna hear Max's name a lot on this podcast. We're just gonna say, ah, that's the sound of his face. By the way, thank you all for listening. In a new year.
Speaker 1: I hope we're having a decent start to your twenty twenty five or good start to your twenty twenty five, or at the very least, thank god it's Friday and you can just have a moment of peace if that is the case. But yeah, we'll be back next week. We're going to try and do this. We're doing it regular. We're not gonna as best as we can. You know, we've been I think last year was very wobbly with with kind of getting out on a regular cadence, and I really want to try and do that where we're just we're here once a week for you. So look forward to that and look forward to eventually this thing coming up live. Well it'll be on the YouTube channel, be on twitch. We'll talk about that when that stuff happens. But yeah, until then, we appreciate you all listening and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Goodbye, b.
Speaker 1: B B b B BODM