Speaker 1: The Force will be with you always. Hello, and welcome back to another episode of Star Wars Alliance. Of course, I'm your host, Clay and with me like every single week. Of course, is Katie, Katie, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Hello, everybody, it's chaos.
Speaker 3: Hopefully y'all can't see this, but this is hopefully the last podcast from my parents house before we officially moved in.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it won't be the last for me. I uh, we're still looking. It's hard out here in Texas. But also, guys, we have to kind of make this quick because we're kind of running on a clock of Katie's headphones. Technology is not on our side today.
Speaker 3: My headphones got used this weekend and raycons apparently don't like to be used while they're being charged.
Speaker 2: So it is so.
Speaker 1: As far as news, of course, this is our weekly show, even though we are pre recording this, there is not a whole lot of news. There is one piece of speculation and then one that is just one of our you know, little fun little leaks. As you can say, it's not really a leak because it's posted on an actual website without any more information. But there is a book that is speculated to either be announced here at San Diego Comic Con or sometime in the near future. I tweeted the picture to Katie the other day. The title of this book is going to be called Star Wars Twin Crossroads. First thing Katie said was, is this Leah's Vision spoilers for a future story that you will be learning soon if you haven't already listened to our review of last week.
Speaker 3: Well, not technically spoilers, because the vision is tough Skywalker.
Speaker 1: That's true. They talk about it in this book, but they but they actually show it, like, yeah, they show the actual conversation about the vision in the Rise of Skywalker. Of course, the conversation that we're talking about is when Luke was training Leah and Leah said, hey, I have to stop trying to be a Jedi because if I go forward, my entire lineage will be destroyed. And so Katie's first speculation was like, oh my god, they're actually going to make a story about that confrontation between Luke and Lea and all that. And then what I have been seeing online on both Instagram on threads I said both, but all three Instagram, and that's what people are saying. People are saying that we shouldn't look at the word twin and we shouldn't take it so literal. So but Star.
Speaker 3: Wars Legacy was posted as Star Wars Legacy, yes, and that was the last one that got announced, was Star Wars Legacy.
Speaker 1: So well, I'm not saying that it won't be twin Crossroads. But when we see the word twin, we shouldn't think of Luke and Lea. We should probably look at crossroads. And there's gonna be two of them, two crossroads, twin crossroads. That's probably what like I'm looking at it like that's actually more literal than the actual operation of like twins as siblings. But that's kind of what I think. I I I don't think of Luke and lam when I think of when I see that. So we'll see, we'll see how all of that turns out. Again, we should know next week. I was gonna say, Sanheo Comic Con is literally at the end of this weekend, so we should see something. We'll keep you made it.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we know from prior experience that cons don't always mean an announcement. But yes, the herring is red.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we know because we talked about it last week that there is going to be two different panels regarding Star Wars publishing, and one of them being Random House World. So I think that there's a possibility that it comes out this week. But that is it, guys, That is it for the news. Oh well. The other like speculation is that the Knights of the Older Republic remake is going to get a re reveal in December of this year for the Game Awards.
Speaker 3: Because you ship the announce games before you're ready to actually put a release date to him and make them actually happen, so then you don't have to do two re reveals and if not three re rebels like Lego Skywalker did.
Speaker 1: Agree, but like it has been a long debate from actual producers of video games, to fans of video games, of just everybody encompassed in the industry. Win is too soon? And when is too late? You know?
Speaker 3: So the clips by the stupid CEO guy who's an asshole. Now it's the Old Republic. Like even Zero Company was too early. There's three right there, Skywalker Saga four. Skywalker Saga was way too damn.
Speaker 1: Early, Okay, so I have to I have to look at the release date. What about uh, Galactic.
Speaker 3: Racer Galactic Racer, I feel like was reasonable because it was announced in December of this past year and it's coming out in October, right, I think.
Speaker 1: Oh, it is coming out in October. Yeah, so that's so so less than a year, you think, is the like, Hey, this is when you should first announce a game, is when you are this close to the release date.
Speaker 3: So that because then you're a yes, because then you're also not going to have a bunch of price jumps like Lego Skywalker Saga did, because Lego Skywalker Second was first, like.
Speaker 2: And then it jumped, and then it jumped again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, through the through the new Gen Gen consoles and everything else. That's true. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that is so true. Unfortunately, uh but yeah, that is it for our news.
Speaker 3: That's my opinion on video game stuff as a non video game person.
Speaker 1: This week is another book review. Guys are very quote unquote first romance novel, Why a romance novel? Yeah? Why a romance novel titled Eyes Like Stars, And of course it is rightfully so dealing with the characters that we have.
Speaker 3: Katie and it's written by Ashley post It Yes, who, by the way, is a South Carolinian. So I believe we have our first South Carolinian Star Wars authors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was having she was posting all the scenes, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, does she live in South Carolina because she was talking about like events and like Charleston and like Greenville, and I was like, wait a second.
Speaker 1: You should talk about possibly getting a signing. Yes.
Speaker 3: And by the way, guys, apparently from all of my research, this book is only coming out physically as a paperback novel, I guess because of like they're testing the waters with how this will do with people. But I have only been able to find a paperback copy of the book. So just so you guys are aware as something to be prepared of. Now we are doing this. There's no embargo date with this one, so we're releasing this with the release of the book basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, but that shocked me because I was not aware of that.
Speaker 1: So, Katie, my question to you is, well, first, non spoiler, initial thoughts about this book.
Speaker 3: Uh, I loved it and I actually felt like it was more than I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 2: Like I thought this was just gonna be.
Speaker 3: A cute side story in Star Wars, but we actually have like some pretty good cameos.
Speaker 4: We have.
Speaker 3: We have some cameos, we have some appearances, we have a mysterious artifact.
Speaker 1: Cut that out.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, y'all, I just had to cut that out, and that maybe go in like a blooper reel or something after this book, like it's been out for a bit. But y'all, my life is chaotic right now, and I am prepared for this. But I also was not super prepared for this, so I didn't read the Submarine to find out what the spoilers I needed to hold backward in the non spoiler portion of the story of the review. I haven't even had alcohol. Guys, this chaotic right now. So there's there's a lot of cool things in here that all tie in to because this book takes place in roughly the year before the Force awakens, yes, and so there's a lot of tie in here to kind of get the ball rolling on some things and tying it into the greater storyline, which was a lot more than I thought it was going to be. I thought we were gonna have some first order appearances, so and that would be it.
Speaker 1: That is one of my like spoilerish non spoiler like grievances with this book is like every single time I got like a deep reference to like the future of Star Wars, I was like sort of a bitch, like I don't want this. I wanted to be outside, like I know where in the timeline it is, but I don't want to deal with any of these characters. We'll get more into that, yes we will.
Speaker 2: But I also didn't think that was necessarily a bad thing.
Speaker 3: With how people are nowadays with wanting it in a greater universe. I actually think it will lend to its favor.
Speaker 1: Yes and no, yes, because do they really like the only real like I guess how do I word this? Those characters or at least a couple of them, only affect the story at the literal end of the story, right, And so for me, I was like, okay, whatever, Like I got like what this book was promoted as for the first twenty four chapters. Yeah, like I got like everything that this book was basically promoted as. And then they're like, hey, by the way, this is still Star Wars.
Speaker 2: Yeah I could see that.
Speaker 3: I didn't think really about it because obviously this has a Star Wars romance novel tag on it, So like I do think it'll lend to its favor with the greater audience. But like the different cameos that come in are gonna be like, oh cool, Like there's enough there where, Like it feels like a true cameo to an extent, Like it's not like a oh like I must go see who this person is. I feel like there's enough information to really gather and call this a one and done Star Wars story like for most people. Yeah, I will also say, because this is this is a non spoiler, but I would truly consider this book a young adult book in terms of a romance novel. There's just no spice, none of that involved. It gets close, it gets close, but like it's just kissing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I will say, let me Uh it's a young adult But I have in my notes this is the note number twenty six third canonical shit in Star Wars.
Speaker 2: True, there is cursing, uh star Wars, Star Wars cursing and.
Speaker 3: Current cursing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like modern world cursing, which really threw me into a loop because there is also My twenty eighth note is I think this is the first canonical asshole in Star Wars. It's like like it sometimes takes you out, and I think that's the reason why they created like Star Wars like curse words, so that way it could still feel like in universe and like all of that. But I understand the idea of like, hey, there's no other way to say this without really laying it thick so that the reader understands what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And to be fair, I don't think there's currently a Star Wars curse word for asshole, Like there's something there's something close to shit. Yeah, but it's two words. Yep, it's not one word, so it's it. So to me, you're merging in things like there's tea, there's actually coffee. It's not just there's not just calf in Star Wars. Calf is not coffee for Star Wars, that's actually coffee. So there's a lot of things that have been kind of merged where it bridges the sci fi aspect to where you go, oh okay, like Earth could be here somewhere there's seven hundred and eighty planets.
Speaker 1: Like well, and like I also think more so it might be a little bit more lenient in a young adult novel rather than an adult Star Wars top.
Speaker 3: And that's fully accurate because you're trying in, especially in this imprint of a Star Wars young adult romance, like with how romance is nowadays, you're also trying to appeal and bring in new readers to Star Wars.
Speaker 2: So totally makes sense.
Speaker 3: This is also something I would consider non spoilery because it has nothing to do with the plot of the book other than the fact that our female main character, Ardent Quay, who is an eighteen year old, is basically first mate on a tour ship of the galaxy. Basically like how the Empire got defeated is like kind of the theme of the tour ship. They got all like the different like main locations of how the Empire got defeated and stuff.
Speaker 2: I texted this to Clay.
Speaker 3: Uh, but there is a throwaway line about the uh star cruiser hotel, oh, the galactic star cruiser. Yeah, and I died laughing.
Speaker 2: I was like, I cannot believe that. They said, yeah, sure you could put that in here.
Speaker 3: Like I was dying of laughter so hard when I texted you that, I laughed for a good ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Well, like I read it and I had I did like a double take. I was like oh, okay, I mean canonically, I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 3: It does now I will say there is a Star Cruiser comic, and my comics are still packed up. It will be packed up for another two to three weeks, so I can't go look at this. But there is a Star Cruiser part in that that takes place with the first Order, but they could very easily place that around the same time because it's about it potentially closing down, or like the rumor that's closing down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So again, it's a throw away line.
Speaker 3: It's not really gonna mean anything to somebody who doesn't know, but I found it absolutely hysterical.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. It was funny. I thought it was funny. I'm trying to think of any other non spoiler that I wanted here.
Speaker 3: Let's so are just as ah. Sorry. Just as a little more comment about our male main character.
Speaker 2: He is his name is Cyan.
Speaker 3: We don't know how old he is, but he appears to be relatively teenage years and he is a Loosien, which does get confirmed at the end of the book, but it the Loosom previously has really only been featured in uh the Higher Republic Adventures so far, so this is their second appearance here, and it like, if you read the Higher Republic Adventures, know that like Rue who is that character was talked about how his eyes were so black, but then all of his pupils like it looked like you were staring into the sky. So that kind of brings in like the eyes like stars vibes.
Speaker 2: In there.
Speaker 3: And I really enjoyed how Ashley played with a species that we really haven't known a whole lot about before the Higher Public Adventures and bring that in. And we do get some more information about the species towards the end of the book that I'm not going to go into because I'm interested to see how this comes to play further. But I did find it a little bit shocking for people who do read everything canonical. It makes you curious about what happened.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, do you remember what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh wait, it's where it's where one of the first order people goes elusive, like you're basically like you're all supposed to be dead.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah yeah, Uh what I what I was gonna mention before you mentioned? Uh, the other main character is our representation in this book. We have two technically three members of the lgbt Q plus community. We have Uh, a ex leader of Naboo.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then we have the main character's father who is bisexual. And the only way we can confirm that is by one of the shipmates who is also on the ship. And we learn in here small spoilers for this for this explanation, but there has been like years of like back and forth teasing but not really doing anything with that, going any further with it. And we'll talk a little bit about that relationship and how it really is the reason why that kind of flirtatious relationship is even there to begin with.
Speaker 3: And the ruler of Naboo that he's talking about was the one during the Empire, like the end of the Empire civil war, yeah, yeah, the galactic Civil War. Her name was Socia Sbruna.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And she declared that she only enjoys the company of women.
Speaker 1: So yep, I put in my notes note number twenty four. She's gay with the rainbows and unicorns. So and that's well, that's one thing I did want to show you. Like this book I enjoyed so well. I sat down and like legit just notated the crap out of this story.
Speaker 3: I had such a blast with this and I can't wait to actually get my physical copy because we did receive this early guys from.
Speaker 2: The imprint of Random House World's Penguin Random House.
Speaker 1: So yeah, one of the very first comments that I sent to you though about this book, Yes, I said, hey, I just got finished with like the first chapter. But this is definitely our type of book. Oh yeah, and this and this is where I'm gonna jump into spoilers, so three to one. When our main character Ardent appears in the book, which is of course very first chapter, we are introduced to her as a nerd, as a book nerd. She is going to a old uh I wouldn't even say bookstore. It's more of like a like antiquities antiquity like knickknack store. Yea, and the receptionist, the owner or whatever get into a small conversation about the serial Hollow series that she is wanting to complete. And this is also where we learn that her mother has died already. She has she she does not have a mother. In this current story, we learn more about her. There is one piece of information that's very important to this and like, I'm not entirely I think we can share about that, but like all the background stuff, I really want you guys to read and enjoy yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so we could talk briefly about that, I feel like, because I did want to bring that up as part of the conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: So aardn't quake. Basically, the Quays come from a line of hyperspace prospectors. Basically, if you've listened or read any of the High Republics, if listened to our reviews and heard us talk about Mari Santeka and how she could basically plot hyperspace lanes and was basically why the path engines were created. The Quays have a similar talent and they call it wayfinding, which I I always forget this, so I went to Wikipedia and was like, is it way seeker or wayfinder? And so the Jedi that goes off and does their own thing is called a way seeker, so kind of in that similar vibe. But it's a very similar in this case what I feel like the Quays are doing compared it's different compared to Mari Santeca. The Quays are doing something very similar to the Chiss Skywalkers. Yes, in those books where they are literally they don't just disc like, they don't search and like plot coordinates. They literally navigate through space by feel versus. And they can plug in coordinates and stuff and go, oh yeah, this is the direction I feel like we should be going. But there's a scene in the book where Arden is driving the ship basically and is doing it by herself. She's hand piloting the whole way through.
Speaker 1: It is it is a very it is described as very supernatural, and in of course, in the Star Wars universe, like the legit only supernatural thing that we know about is the force. So like we've talked about how forced sensitivity in many different ways in the Star Wars universe is different for different species. You know, we've talked about how uh the Night Sisters have a different way of using the force. Uh the what was the other group that was also on data mer I can't remember their name off the top of my head, but like they use legends, I thought it was the same group of individuals that took uh what's your name, Uh, Thron's right hand.
Speaker 2: The girl, the girl in Ahsoka. Uh yeah, she's still a Night Sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there was another group of individuals that weren't Night sisters that took her in remember I don't remember, Okay, Yeah, there's like like they used the force in a different way. Jedi used the force in a different way. And now we have basically confirmation that way Seekers use the force in a completely different way. And I think this is really really cool. The way that it is explained both verbally and then as like an actual experience when we actually see it happen, I think is very very cool and very unique. Yeah, I would be really interested because like this, of course being a romance novel with this like way Seekert kind of like lingering and it's like, okay, like we're going to like by the time we saw the first description of it, I was like, Okay, it's gonna happen. We just don't know when it's going to happen in this book. Yeah, I almost want like a way secret pirate book, Like that's what I want.
Speaker 3: Would well, And I will say, I need to get you to read the Thron Ascendency trilogy because there's a lot of that in there. Don't get me wrong, It's still a lot about Thron and how he plots and stuff, but it's from other people's perspectives. But it does delve into the skywalking.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, but going back to like the very first point that I was bringing up of like, oh, this is a this is really a book for us, My little very first highlight in the entire book was the receptionist the owner of the store owner told ardent or in many cases people also called her ari called told ari. Uh. One of the plot points of this serial book series that they're talking about is that like they didn't know if somebody was alive at the end of a book or not. And he's like, oh, you always have to check for a pulse. And I literally highlighted it. I said, this is going to come up. I know it's gonna come up. And at the very end of the chapter, he has a blaster burn on the back of his back. He's seemingly dead. She went back because he snuck in something into her purchase, which we later find like literally find out the very end of the book what it really is. I also part, yeah, me too, but she realizes that she purchased what she wanted, that he had put this in her bag, and she's like, oh, no, I have to give it back. I never steal anything, Like what is what is wrong with me? She goes in there, there's some chaos happening. She finds him seemingly dead, and then he wakes up, grabs her and says, always check for a pulse run and then the very last word of the chapter is Her reaction is oh, like, oh my god. I was like, yep, oh, this book is going to be so much fun. Uh yeah.
Speaker 3: I once I got into it, I was having a ball. I think probably grand total. I read the book in about two and a half hours, but it was a blast the entire way through. And I definitely is there some romance tropes, yes, But I also feel like posting was like playing with the trope factor a little bit, because there would be points where I was like, oh, okay, I know what's about to happen, and then it actually wouldn't happen, and I was like whoa waite second, dude, Like this is not at all what I expected here. And I really dug that aspect of it, because especially with how romance is nowadays, where it's like, oh okay, everybody and their mother can write a romance novel. Now, people don't play with things enough to inject whimsy. It's like they're like, oh, okay, we have to follow the Sarah J. Mass formula, or we have to follow the Rebecca Garros formula or the Emily Henry like all these things. Like sometimes it's just enough to kind of play with things and do your own thing. And I feel like that's what post An accomplished here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I have my first initial question to you that I had to stop and talk about that one moment in chapter one. This is what I had to cut out at the very beginning of non spoilers because I have to ask you because you texted me and you're like, oh, I finally understand what this book is. I haven't notated note number eleven. Ah, Ifing knew it, page eighty one, that's chapter seven, is when I clocked it. I I clocked it a little ahead because I said, oh, Ifing knew it, I clocked it probably the third mention of the Again this is spoiler talk, at the third mention of the lightsaber, I knew what it was. When did you clock it?
Speaker 3: So there was never like a great description of the lightsaber.
Speaker 1: No, there wasn't.
Speaker 3: So I was like, okay, well mos is here.
Speaker 2: Moz is one of the cameos.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I was like, okay, like, could this be.
Speaker 3: The Skywalker Saber? Like, is this the story of how she gets it? And then we got to I think it's like chapter. I'm not gonna say the chapter. Actually we got to a point and that's when I texted Clay. I was like, okay, so this is the story of how Mos gets the Skywalker Saber.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're talking about one of the later chapters. I'm just gonna say that.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So, yes, one of the later chapters. I clocked it very early, and this is I will say, I still thought it was.
Speaker 2: A Skywalker saber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: That was when the point I.
Speaker 3: Was like, okay, this is how Mos gets the saber? And literally, guys, literally not even two pages later, it's revealed that this is basically Luke's yellow Lightsaber from the comics that everybody pitched a fit about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically yeah. I was like what yeah when it when it was when it said yellow, I went huh and then it went like the little light in my head was like, hey, hello, this is what they're talking about. And I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I figured. I was like I kept going back and forth.
Speaker 1: I never.
Speaker 3: So you're probably right up until that later chapter, I probably was like, well, this could be anybody's lightsaber, but couldn't beat the Skywalker lightsaber.
Speaker 1: So I went ahead and of course thought about Anakin's lightsaber, right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and that's where I was like Anakin's lightsaber. I was just like the Skywalker sabery.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So my notes go into this order. I think knew it page eighty one, and then the very next page, Oh shit, that's Anakin's epic lightsaber. That's page eighty two. And then I also have page one hundred and fifty three, still talking about the lightsaber. That lightsaber killed a lot of children. I don't know what they were talking about. I think it was I think at one point Ari was talking about how like, because this is another reason why you can say way seekers are just another form of force users, the really really cool thing way finding, the really really fun thing about this. Ari has an actual conversation, almost an actual conversation with the lightsaber. I got goose bumps when it was like almost talking to her and she was like, wait was that in my head? And I was like, this is the kyber crystal literally speaking to you. This is amazing.
Speaker 4: So I.
Speaker 1: Really loved this book. There was so much I loved about this. Of course, every good Star Wars book needs its droid VB. VB is probably up there for me the last chapters.
Speaker 2: I it does so good. I'm not gonna say what happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, but the understanding of what happened and the words that VB spoke saying oh, because here's again, I can't even say that. I don't want to spoil that part. I don't I don't want to spoil that part with with that one character in in in with with, I don't want to spoil that. I don't want to even talk about it. I will just say, like, there is a phrase that there's a phrase that VB speaks, and then and Ardent takes that phrase and she's like, oh, I understand now that was just chef's kiss. I I like it was. It's it's it's a really hard moment. But when you like really look at what like Ardent is really understanding at that point, beautiful. I really really enjoyed it. So uh. There is the the fact that she is a way seeker there right way finder.
Speaker 2: I got you confused I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: A wayfinder. We talked about her now dead mother. We learned that she died like on her sixth birthday or her seventh birthday, trying to find her way, trying to find her regardless of what it was. It was when she was young, trying to get back to her for her birthday. That was the main reason, was like, oh, I promised her, I'll be there shortly, and she never returned. The other thing that I wanted to bring up there was, oh, shoot, we're what was let's talk about because we haven't really talked about him a whole lot science. He is this very suave like he like, I'm not gonna say it's really funny to say this. I'm not gonna say he's a Han Solo type character. Yeah, because the and the only reason why I say it's hilarious is because he's an archaeologist. Harrison Ford Indiana Jones archaeologist. Like I could see why people would make the connection and why I can't remember her name. The author posted, uh, posting, yes, Ashley would go this route, like I think if that's the connections she made to create cion bravo, very clever. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I totally dug it.
Speaker 3: And I will say, and this was probably just me being like I read everything in Star Wars. I really thought for a hot minute, especially when he talked about how his mentor as an archaeologist, kept getting drunk and like stumbling over things, and was like, I really thought he was gonna say Afra, but it's not Afra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's not. But Moz ends up knowing his mentor, which he kind of like he got all flustered and he got like really happy about near the end. One thing I did want to mention because I did have it in my notes with science background. He does talk about like places he's been, what he's done, and he says place it so mongy, you can cut the air with a knife. A continent overrun with vermin and people in flesh eating plants, old temples, city slums, and spaceports ruled by pirates. Is this I have it in my notes port Borg that was in Skeleton Crew.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought, because he mentioned that it's.
Speaker 1: On the edges of wild space.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's a possible like and I will I will also say this in the very beginning uh. Cyan is seemingly described as almost having a Matthew McConaughey esque Southern draw so, like, I that's how I envied because Ardent actually like describes how he says her name, and I'm like, that's almost Matthew McConaughey ish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I loved it, especially with the parts because he has a nickname for her, which I won't go into, but the parts where he does say her name, I was like, oh, dreaming, So I like, I don't know. I just got done reading book two of Where the Moon When the Moon Falls book, and so I've been in like a romanticy kick and I'm about to go into everflame again.
Speaker 2: So I'm just like writing this high of like such great romance.
Speaker 1: Okay, when the Moon Falls or when the Moon hatched?
Speaker 2: When the Moon hatched.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry because book two is called The Ballad of Falling Dragons.
Speaker 1: Okay, I I I want to share a little bit of story about this book. I have not read it yet, but this was in the middle of like that one year that I was reading like three freaking books a week or whatever, and like was going crazy and stuff. So I was literally just buying books off the shelf like crazy. My best friend of all time when he saw one of my posts that sh like, oh this is what I got this week, he was like, I read it. I read it. This book's amazing. This book's amazing. And when it showed up, when the title when A Moon Hatched showed up, he commented, I think this is smut. And I was like okay, because I was just grabbing literally just everything off the shelf that was either recommended by like actual retailers, like the employees, or like things that they were just highlighting on the shelves, and so I was just like, oh, this is a really hefty book. This will take me some time. Like maybe if I start reading this, it'll stop me from buying more books, which technically it did because I was like, hey, I'm not going to buy any cause it was around the time where I was finally making the decision of like, hey, I need to actually start reading these books before I start buying more. And so it's a hefty book, especially like if you look at the paperback, it's like so thick. Uh, And he was like, yeah, I think that's fut.
Speaker 3: I was like also a comment on that, just because there is smut in, It doesn't mean it's all smut.
Speaker 2: So uh.
Speaker 1: On that note, there's no smut in this book, No there is, And that was one of the things, like we had said that it gets close when there there is a moment where there is a lot of intimacy, and that's that's the one thing about this book. There is like little like heart fluttering moments between these two characters throughout the entire book. But there's finally a moment where there is intimacy, very quickly interrupted. Not going to say why because that is another like plot twist, but when it does get intimate, I was like, whoa, this is why he hold like calm down now, like what are you doing? And then it gets interrupted and I was like, ah, okay, so that's how they diverted to not get so adult all right.
Speaker 3: Which and we've talked about it before, but the hya line has definitely blurred and things with smut in it should be new adult or yeah, oh my gosh, excuse me, but I think this one stays in the lines of what I would consider young adults. So yes, my mom, I don't know what she would say.
Speaker 1: Uh, there was uh something, what was it? Oh? One of the other cameos that popped up here again little to no like real effect towards the actual story is Lea Organa. She pops up near the very end. I'm not gonna say why again, there's another part of this book that gets really in deep with like, hey, we're moving towards force awakened stuff. So she pops up and I have a note here. I literally read in this book quite possibly the best descriptor I have ever read in my entire life. Yes, so there is. It's on page three hundred and sixty four in the day digital version. And I'm totally fine with sharing that. It's my thirty seventh note. Oh sorry, thirty sixth note. I said, this has to be one of the best descriptors I have ever read. And this is Ardent describing Princess Leah. And she says, I'm shoot this year. Oh didn't even go to that page. It's three sixty four, fifty five, up up, up sixty four. She said, Uh, I had never met a story before. It's simple. It's like you you kind of think nothing of it, but just the descriptor a story for a person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you think about it her entire life has been about exploring those stories that.
Speaker 2: Have been told. And it's just so.
Speaker 3: Epic the way they It's epic because of how simple it is, really like because you could have gone, you could have had her go on and on about how Leoana was this famous person, but truly, like they talk about they talk about in this how Jedi are just nothing but stories basically, and like that the relic that Cyan is holding of a lightsaber doesn't even work, and like so what's the proof that it really did work?
Speaker 5: All a lot kind of things and it's all building up to this final end where wow, I this woman is a story like I did.
Speaker 2: It is like I didn't even know she existed, but really she does.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really really liked that descriptor. I thought that was very very good writing. Again, very simple. Really wouldn't think anything like it. But in the context of how this story goes, like you said, it means a lot, and I think that's really really cool. Is there anything else that you kind of want to like tackle like straightforward in this story, because there's there's there's a lot of good stuff, but like I don't want to wrote it for anybody.
Speaker 3: Yes, because I think we've tackled everything really major. I know the Lightsaber is a big point, but guys, there's just a lot too it that I think we wanted to discuss, as like background and like times and things, so it keeps it definitely interesting. And this book definitely follows a plotline of a simple romance novel, but there's a lot of depth here that really builds on the connection that Cyan and Artent hold, but then also the greater Star Wars Galaxy as a whole. So if you're a romance fan, I would definitely recommend picking this up.
Speaker 2: And then if you're a Star Wars fan, as long as you don't mind romance.
Speaker 3: If you are not a romance person, this is not going to be a book that you're gonna want to read because if you're just I hate tropes, you like a more in depth plot line, this is just not gonna be the book for you. And that's okay. You don't have to read everything in the Star Wars Galaxy. We still love you.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's very true. And and one thing for me, you know, my I dive into the romance genre. I dabbled in it before, and then of course Katie had some recommendations for me, and I jumped into those, so I'm still newer to it. I still saw this as a Star Wars book, though, and so when I was reading it, I really didn't feel like hey. Like the thought that really hit my mind was around chapter seventeen to twenty somewhere between there. I was like, so, when's the other shoe gonna drop? And what I mean by that is like, I'm getting all of the romance novel, which is good. I like this, but when is it going to feel like Star Wars? Because there's a lot of planets mentioned, there's a lot of Star Wars things in this book. I'm waiting for, like, hey, cause again, one of the things about me as a Star Wars fan and Star Wars book reader is how is this moving the needle forward for the story that we know as the greater Star Wars story. It's like, I wouldn't say it's my kryptonite. It's just like, it is that thing that is that makes me an annoying Star Wars fan. I understand that if if I was having a conversation with just other Star Wars fans, they would be like, Oh, this is this is great. Bla blah, and I'd be like, but does it really move the needle? And then everybody's mood would just be like, Clay, why'd you have to say? Like, why do you have to bring back up? That's just who I am. And I apologize to every single author out there who's going to write a Star Wars story in the future.
Speaker 3: He's not root about it at least fair warning.
Speaker 1: But at least you get there. That's the thing is in this book. You get there, and I'll be quite honest because of the fan that I am. There's a lot of my notes that is here. I'll even share one with you very first note. Outside of the you should check for a pulse very first note, a lightsaber. Should I be mad? No? Am I mad? Kinda? We have plenty of non Jedi stories and novels, but sometimes it would be really nice to not deal with Jedi. And technically I don't even know if this person is a Jedi, so maybe I'm upset for no reason. This was on page twenty five, and then.
Speaker 5: I go.
Speaker 1: Into page two hundred and fifty two. I really don't want Cion to be a lost Jedi. Well, this would be different. This would be from Luce's academy because there was a there was a quick like uh, like there's there's like a hold on is it? What did he personally survive a Kylo rinnattach question mark. Now I'm even more confused do I want this or not? Like that's just who I am as a reader and as a fan, like like I want the Star Wars stuff, but then sometimes I don't want the Star Wars stuff.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I also early on when the eyes like stars came up and she was talking about his eyes, I was like, wait a second, we've only ever had one. I'm that person, guys, I'm always that person who's like, could this be rude? I was like, ya's rue hiding because we all know that Star Wars has liked to take characters.
Speaker 2: And like send.
Speaker 3: Lifespans for those species basically that you wouldn't expect. And so I was like, wait a second, this is the guy on the cover. Please please don't let this be a two hundred and fifty year old man flirting with an eighteen year old like and.
Speaker 1: Get I could see that. I didn't really think about that because the way you explained it in your text was like, oh, this is the species. So I never I never made that connection, but I can see how people could.
Speaker 3: Again, I'm that person who is like, wait, this the only character that we've previously known of this species is this guy?
Speaker 2: Did this happen?
Speaker 3: And thankfully it did not. But that's just the way my brain works is I'm like, I'm trying to relate it to a character, and then I go on Wikipedia and I'm like, wait, this is the only character that we've actually seen of this species, Like what? So I had to step there and again was not dating a two hundred fifty year old man. And I also, just as another like canonical aspect, I do understand that species mature at different rates, but it's still weird, especially in the terms of a specific romance novel. So I'm glad we didn't go there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's two more points that I want.
Speaker 3: Especially when the lightsaber came out that was my other connection to the character, I was like, wait a second, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I totally get that. Two other things that I wanted to bring up in this story, and I think I'm kind of done other than like getting really deep into the stuff that we don't even want to talk about. First mentioned was uh, Oh shoot, did I lose it? Oh Olderan, Yes, there is a now spaceport in the location of where Aldron used to reside. Canonmically in universe, there is people really happy about this, and there's other people who are really mad about this. I can understand both sides, but I do think this is a very interesting development within the universe because in a lot of the books that we've read, there is conversations that include people who are Alderanian, and they kind of are known as people who don't have a planet anymore.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: This space station is literally for those people. Like it's like, hey, you do have a home, It's here if you need it. And there's like a memorial on one of the floors of the spaceport, which is really cool. Like, I actually really really like this new Devi element in Star Wars Cannon. I think that it should be something that is more developed, and.
Speaker 3: Because I can appreciate that too, because in Star Wars Legends, which we're actually about to kind of sort of get into with our New Jedi Order review series on Patreon, like Alduron actually settles on a planet that didn't have a population on it, and so like cal Omas who we've talked about before, is actually the senator of the alder Iranian people and in the courtship of Princess Leah. Leah is actually looking for somewhere to put her like the remaining Alderanians and like try to establish an Alderan colony and stuff. And so the reason that they're on Dafamir in that book is because Han actually quote unquote one the planet of Dafamir because it was previously reported to be unpopulated, and so he won it in a game of Sabak and offered it to Leah as the planet to house the alt around people.
Speaker 2: So there was a lot of that build.
Speaker 4: Up in Legends, and so I'm glad to see that it's kind of coming into Cannon because I do think it matters to know where those people end up and where the refugees end up and stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I thought that was I thought that was really really cool. Second mention, uh, and this is a very stupid mention, but it made me chuckle and I kind of rolled my eyes. Have you ever seen the interview of Carrie Fisher when she explains like to I can't remember who was interviewing her, but she tells this story about how she had a conversation about her wardrobe in a New Hope about how like she's just wearing this own dress and they're like, oh, can I have like a brawl? And they're like, oh, there's no bras in Star Wars.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: This is totally stupid, but nope, Number twenty two, page one to fifty four. This is so stupid. But the mention of underwear just reminds me of the Carrie Fisher interview where she explains that George Lucas told her that there's no underwear in space because like, the one of the things is when Ari and Cyan get onto her ship, her cruise ship, he has to be a stowaway, and in a little bit of bartering, he has this lightsaber, which is like a big reveal. In the very first few chapters, she takes it from him. It's like, hey, I know that you will be on your best behavior because I have this and you want this. I'm gonna go hide this and she hides it in an underwear drawer and when it mentions that, I kind of just chuckled. I'm like, there's no underwear in space. George Lucas.
Speaker 3: George Lucas doesn't roll Star Wars anymore.
Speaker 1: What I just, I just I just thought it, like I thought about it, and it made me chuckle. But yeah, that's that's all I have on Well, that's all I am willing to share because again, uh, there's little things like there's a small reference to I hate sand there is I note number thirty four a loosim Katie was right. Oh and the very last note that I had was full teary eyed emojis because of the small little monologue that Arden's dad gives to Ari as a father to a young three year old. Right now, I know that I'm gonna have to have this conversation with her when she's older, and I don't want it.
Speaker 3: I had to have that conversation with my mother, so I didn't tear up as bad because I was the one gimick it.
Speaker 2: I like, but.
Speaker 1: Well, like because like even earlier in the story, I have a I have like a notation about like how he doesn't even know her, and like because there's a whole thing with her birthday guys, and and that's something that is also like a big like it's not it's not a big reveal, but it kind of shows their relationship and he like mistake, he mistakens an emotion of hers for like happiness, and so he's like, yeah, all right, party and he like walks away, and I'm like, you stupid idiot, like you don't even know who your daughter is. And then he turns around and has this conversation at her, like to her at the very end, and I'm just like, oh, it was heartwarming, it was sad, like I it was a good book. Yes, uh, here's here's something. And I think this might be a regular question that I ask from now on because I think it's a fun question. Ashley, I can't remember her last names actually posting, sorry Ashley Ashley posting. This is our first hy A romance novel, not the technical first romance novel in Star Wars, because we did read I'm I'm Lost Stars, Lost Stars.
Speaker 2: There was another one. I can't think of it.
Speaker 1: Oh princess scoundrel.
Speaker 2: Scoundrel, but convergence cataclysm technically.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, yes, very true, very sure with this being a y A romance novel, and I am pretty sure because again I do apologize. Actually I do not recognize your name for any of the books that we have currently read. I'm newer, I say newer. We've been doing this for six years. I just haven't read any Legends with Ashley's name on it. I haven't canonical books with Ashley's name on it other than this one. So I think this is her first Star Wars novel. If you could choose a time period in which Ashley could stretch her legs a little bit in her right capabilities, where would you want her to go? We asked this of Rue last time, so I'm gonna ask the same thing from posting what do you think.
Speaker 2: You know where I'm gonna go? And you're not gonna like this?
Speaker 1: Probably not am.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say. And I can't remember their names for the life of me for some reason, but our duo on uh.
Speaker 2: Planet X and the way they spend their time in the pining and the you did?
Speaker 1: Are you so you're talking about the two characters that I think you're talking about, because again, we haven't talked about that in the Republic since the review. Yes, Katie, you have now broke me.
Speaker 2: I said, you're not gonna like that.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I didn't even think about that. Yes, yes, forget my answer. Yes, I just want like.
Speaker 3: A diary kind of thing, like I saw him today. I still can't believe I can't touch him. But I must do this for the benefit of us all. Like because in the epilogue, please.
Speaker 1: Please, yes, I was I was gonna go do you know what my answer was going to be, Oh, the High Republic so it could be a little bit more light hearted. That was all that was gonna be. That I was leaving it open. And I say lighthearted like I I would say, like, hey, with everything that is going on with the uh, with the blight and everything else, Like I do think that would still be an interesting story with you know, a mix of romance in there, but that one specifically, Yes, I needed to happen. Ashley Tom Michael Lucasfilm Publishing. I think we need to be on the board of creating stories. I just think I I think, I think I thought of it.
Speaker 2: I'm so tired and my I twit driving me insane.
Speaker 1: So just but you know, I that's a that would be beautiful, that would be amazing. But with that, guys, that's where we're gonna end it again. Uh, there's a lot of stuff in this book that we really do hope that you guys enjoy when you guys have this in your possession when you finished reading it, let us know your favorite parts, let us know some of your debates with our takes, whatever you would like to have us, you know, talk about on the show. So yeah, of course you can always find me at Fanboy play on Instagram, on Threads, and as of right now, uh, there is going to be a new show that we are reviewing over at Ranger Alliance because of the way that Super Sentai is kind of like doing their thing now in Tokusatsu, they're only twenty ish episodes a show and so they're like completely changing the shows up. So now we have a new show which is a mix of common Writer, Pokemon, and Digimon. It's a very weird concept, but we're going to try it out and we should be getting back to you guys this upcoming Monday, So be on the lookout for that over app Ranger Alliance. But Katie, what about you, y'all?
Speaker 3: You can find me on most social media platforms. It's at Slice of Kid. This show you can find on Blue Sky, Instagram and threads. It's at Star Wars Alliance at the A and the war's very important to forget it. Remember, you can also put that user name in front of at gmail dot com and shoot as email, just give us some way to reference you for the show. We would love to hear any questions thoughts about Star Wars Legacy, which we talked about last week. That's coming out. Just as a reminder, that's coming out on the twenty eighth this month, so next week. Obviously, I was like Stars has come out, so if you guys get to reading it, you guys are more than welcome to send us some thoughts there. We're also going to be talking about a new manga release that came out on the I think it was last week, which is Star Wars Vision's Sukomo. We're gonna be talking about that next week. So a lot of new things to review, because then the following week we've got at least the first part of our Ninth Jedi Star Wars Visions Presents Ninth Jedi Review, so we will have guys super exciting. So with that, y'all, I want to wish everyone a great day or night to whatever time day you are listening, and we will see you next time. May the Force be with you,