Speaker 1: Pod Save America's brought you by simply Safe between the midterms, then never any news cycle and daily personal to do is your brain has too many tabs open. That's why you need the reliability of simply Safe to help you close the home security tab in your crowded mind. They've got it covered. I've set up a simply Safe incredibly easy to do, definitely gives you that peace of mind you don't have to worry about it. The app is great, the customer support is great, and simply Safe you can customize your system to fit your needs and then it ships right to your door. The app guide it's set up is simple. There's no driurnaling required, so you can install an arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras in twenty four to seven professional monitoring. In the event of an emergency, Simply saves twenty four to seven professional monitoring agents will dispatch help when you need it. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring and your first month is free, just visit simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simplysafe dot com slash crooked. There is no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 2: America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday calls for a history as sprawling and contradictory as the country itself. A History of the United States and one Hundred Objects, produced by BBC Studios and ninety nine percent Invisible, tells this story one object at a time, told over one hundred episodes, joy and hosts Roman Mars as he reveals the fascinating story behind a collection of often overlooked objects, each of which sheds light on key moments in American history, from a gold coin found in a shipwreck that triggered financial panic to a tiny screw that kickstarted an industrial empire. Every week, one object will open the door into an extraordinary, often shocking story about who we've been, what we've built, and what we've allowed ourselves to forget. New episodes of A History of the United States and one hundred Objects are released every Tuesday. Find it in ninety nine percent Invisible wherever you get your podcasts. Welcome to Plate America. I'm John Fabreu, I'm Dan Pfeifer. On today's show, we're going to talk about the news that US and Iranian negotiators are on the verge of an agreement to keep negotiating to Also talk about Trump using our money to cover statues in gold and the push to put his face on a new two hundred and fifty dollars bill. Exciting. Also talk about Republicans losing their minds over James Tallerico Rubio topping vance for the first time in a twenty twenty eight poll. Great stuff, couldn't melt myself, and Jill Biden finally admitting that her husband's debate performance was so bad she thought he was either having a stroke or on drugs. Deep breaths. Then could Democrats have a chance at a Senate seat in Mississippi? Democratic nominee Scott Colomb stops by the studio to make his case before we start. If you are not a subscriber to Crook and Media right now, what are you doing? You just listen into all these ads on Podze of America and Pose of the World and offline for nothing. You could be listening to ad free episodes. You could be supporting independent, pro democracy media, which is kind of important to do right now if you've been looking at the news and seeing what Trump's been doing to the media landscape. And also, we got cool subscriber only shows like Polar Coaster With Dan. Today, we're going to be talking about James Tallerigo versus Ken Paxson. But if you really want to nerd out on that race and hear all about the polls and Dan's take on this, you guys, listen to Polar Coaster this week. All right, Dan, Another day, another siren emoji heralding a deal to end the war in Iran that appears to be an agreement to keep talking about the nuclear program that ostensibly led to the war in the first place. That's where we are. Axios reports and other outlets have confirmed that, pending final approval from Trump, and the Ayatola negotiators have agreed to quote a memorandum of understanding that says the Strait of Hormuz will reopen for quote unrestricted movement by commercial ships in exchange for ending the US blockade of Iranian ports, and then everything else, including sanctions relief and Iran's uranium stockpile will be the subject of negotiations that will take place over the next sixty days, during which time the ceasefire will be extended. Despite the tit for tat airstrikes between the US and Iron over the last few days, so not off to a great start. There questions remain. Will Iran go back to enriching uranium, will they get palettes of cash? Will they still control the Strait? No one knows, but Trump addressed this last question during one of his marathon cabinet meetings on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Would you accept a short term deal that allows Iran and Oman to control the Strait?
Speaker 4: Nobody's going to control it's international waters, and Oman will behave just like everybody else, so will have to blow them up. We don't need we don't need the Straight. We don't need anything.
Speaker 2: We don't need anything at all, which is why we're making the d And also we're going to control the Straight. No one's going to control the Straight. If Oman doesn't let ships through, we're going to blow them up. It all makes sense. Here's what a senior US official told Axios about the deal. Quote, this is an agreement to get everybody to the table. We will work out the details in negotiations. That's not these negotiations that are leading to the deal that official is referring to. That is the future negotiations that will happen. Trump mouthpiece Scott Jennings responded to the story by dutifully tweeting, the US appears to be getting everything we want. Uh, is this everything we want? Getting people to the table.
Speaker 5: Well, if it's an excisential question, John, if you won very little and you get very little, did you get everything you want?
Speaker 2: Just saying very good, very good.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's kind of hard to believe that the thing that there's been so much breathless reporting on so many siren emojis over the last couple of weeks was simply in a agreement to keep talking. And I know it says they're going to open the Straight of horm Moves for unrestricted commercial traffic. Now, the problem here is is there are still mines in unknown places all across the Straight of horm Moves.
Speaker 2: Some of which around was laying. Just this week they were laying more minds. That's what started the air strikes again.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say the straight is open, to say the strait is slightly a jar because obvious least some some ships will get through. There are these ships that are stranded there that the US was pledging to escort, which we then abandoned that after like one six hour period. So, and it is it better that the United States and around and upoming each other?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is it better that maybe a couple ships will get through there? Yes? Is this the Treaty of fucking Versailles. No, this is a very minor. It's not even an agreement, as you said, it's an MoU so cool.
Speaker 2: It's right, Like, of course, it's great to cease hostilities because no one wanted this fucking war in the first place, at least most people in America didn't want it, and the rest of the world. But the questions here are simple. Is Iran any further from developing a nuclear weapon than when this war started in February? No, we did nothing to push back the Iranian nuclear program that Trump hadn't done with the first round of strikes last year. So nothing has been achieved on that front. Is the regime any less radical? No, In fact, the regime is now more radical. Are the Iranian people any closer to freedom? No, they are not. In fact, they are going to be more repressed by an even more radical regime. Is America any safer?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Is the Middle East anymore stable?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: And so what did all of that cost us? Well, fourteen American lives, tens of thousands of lives in the Middle East, at least fifty billion dollars in counting of taxpayer dollars that have gone to fight this war, and an estimated four billion dollars in higher fuel costs so far. So that's what we had to pay. Those are the costs that we had to bear for getting abs a fucking lutely nothing except maybe the straight back open, which it was at the beginning of the war.
Speaker 5: And it's also not like Iran was on the custom of and youc a weapon when we started this process. The whole thing is so stupid. The whole thing is so fucking stupid. It's like, it's a mind boggling We've been talking about this for so long that this has happened because it's so stupid.
Speaker 2: The enriched uranium they are going to negotiate to figure out what to do with is only there because Ronald Trump pulled us out of the Iran deal. So Iran went back to enriching uranium. All the uranium that's there has been enriched since the end of the Iran deal which Trump pulled us out. And now there wouldn't even be more enriched uranium to be talking about if Trump hadn't gotten us out of the Iran deal.
Speaker 5: The best case scenario here is that we spent billions of millions of dollars. We used up all of our missiles.
Speaker 2: Five years, five years to rebuild the munitions.
Speaker 5: That's the estaday, which I'm sure will be a boon for a bunch of defense companies in which Jared Kushner and Donald Trump jun you have invested the You know, American troops have lost their lives. People all across the region have lost their lives and for nothing. We're just we're the best case scenarios. We have a deal that is worse than the one Obama cut twelve years ago or whatever it was, and we are very far from best case.
Speaker 2: And now, like, do we think the Iranians really believe that if these negotiations over the next sixty days go poorly that Trump's going to start bombing them again? Like what right before the midterms? No, they know he's actually he might, yeah, you maybe maybe, But I don't think. I don't feel like I don't think this is a great play in terms of keeping any kind of leverage over the Iranians at this point. So they know they can close the straight whenever they want so and lay minds whenever they want. So that's what's happening there. I'm sure the deal could be announced any minute now, who knows. We'll just look for more siren emojis from from Axios and look for look for Scott Jennings to just sort of regurgitate whatever the administration tells him to, because that's what he does, all right. So the White House Press Corps was briefed on the potential deal as well as the latest bad economic news by struggling soybean farmer Scott Best and the administration's resident populist Bessett. Had to contend with news that inflation has now risen to its highest level in three years and the GDP grew even slower than previously estimated in the first quarter of this year. Ostin Golesby, the Chicago Federal Reserve President, told the Wall Street Journal that the US economy is moving in a quote stagflationary direction, which would be the worst case scenario. Scott Besson's response to all of this, Okay, doomers.
Speaker 7: I believe we've already seen oil prices come down substantially. These are short term challenges that we will get over and I think we'll move forward.
Speaker 2: This is inflation sticky because the PCEE was a three year high.
Speaker 7: Well, first principle pc today month month with point two which was we're looking at decimal points, but the estimate was point three.
Speaker 8: Are you seeing signs that American households are dipping into their savings to pay for the higher cost of things like gas and groceries?
Speaker 6: Just data like that, certainly right now.
Speaker 7: So low academic literature would tell you lower savings rate. Can name one of two things, the kind of the doom review that you took, or that people have more confidence.
Speaker 2: Is that I'm no economist, But does the literature say when people are dipping into their savings during a global energy crisis that they are confident they are doing so because they are confident about their findings.
Speaker 5: They're confident they need to drive their car to work, that's what they're confident.
Speaker 2: So you know, we've had a number of auditions since Caroline Levett has been on parental leave. We had JD. Vance, we have Mark Rubio, and now Scott Besant took a tarn at the podium and let me tell you, I don't know. I don't know if I don't know if he was the kind of soothing voice that the that the American people were looking for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's just I just don't know. At this moment in time, when you know, somewhere between two Thursdy and three of Americans are very mad about the economy, economic anxieties at the highest level possible that you want to dismissively arrogant, Wall Street sent a millionaire. I think he is to be your spokesperson, you know, want someone who exudes like money coming out of their pores.
Speaker 2: As Tommy refers to him as a pissy cadaver.
Speaker 5: It's fair enough.
Speaker 2: God, it looks like that. I think question now is like, if this deal is signed today, would it actually help get inflation and growth moving in the right direction again before the midterms.
Speaker 5: It would lower oil prices, which will eventually at some point in time lower gas prices because oils because oil futures will come down but you know, we're not going to see anywhere near the sort of traffic going through the Strait that we had before for six months at the earliest, and probably longer. And even if and the true economic damage is done here right with, the growth has been stunted, inflation is up, as it will take a while for all of that to come down. The Fed is even thinking about possibly raising interest rates again because of the PCE numbers the Besset mentioned. But let's just put aside the economics where I feel deeply uncomfortable talking about them, focused on the politics, where I am mildly more comfortable. Is Look, people's opinions about this economy are pretty set in stone. People's opinions about Donald Trump's handling this economy are pretty set in stone. People are gonna start voting in a couple of months. And even if things do get a little bit better, which seems highly unlikely, we know from years and years of data that people's impression of the economy lags the reality by months, and so even if things got a little bit better, it's unlikely to be help Republicans in this fall.
Speaker 2: The CNN Business Reporter their business reporter David Goldman was asked about like, when when we might see three dollars gas again? Guess which year? He said, for three dollars gas again.
Speaker 5: It's not gonna be twenty twenty six. Is at John twenty thirty two twenty Well, that's I would say. I was going to guess twenty thirty just because by the way you asked that question, it was going to be far away. But that's even further than I thought.
Speaker 2: That's what your reaction was. Similar to CNN's Pam Brown, who also was like, what did you just say, He's like, yeah, well, by the time, he's like, if you just look at the futures, this is what the futures markets say right now, because it would have to be down to like I think around seventy dollars oil. Would you have to be seventy dollars a gallon and seventy dollars a barrel, And you know, it's like down to hovering around one hundred now, So it's not what it was at with like one hundred and twenty. But to get from there to seventy, yeah, it takes the straight being fully open for quite a while.
Speaker 5: And the other thing about the strait is is not just boats moving through the strait. It's that Gulf country cease production because they could not get oil through the strait, and so they have to restart production and that takes time. And that is on top of the facilities that were damaged from the Iranian missiles. As part of the that Trump started.
Speaker 2: One area of the economy that's undeniably booming construction firms that Trump has contracted to make the nation's capital look like one of his failed casinos. The New York Times reports that the no bid contractor hired to paint the reflecting pool attacky or blue, is quote being paid an inflated and excessive profit margin. You don't say. The Times also reports that the administration has funneled over sixty million dollars worth of National Park Admissions fees toward repairing the pool and some of DC's fountains. There's also apparently a five million dollar contract to coat a bunch of equestrian statues by the Lincoln Memorial in gold What this is all ahead of America's two hundred and fiftieth Birthday celebration, which Trump is merging with his own. The president will ring in the Big eight zero with a UFC fight on the South Lawn and they've just started to build the arena, which looks like a Roman colisey that's being sponsored by Axe Body Spray. That's that's what it looks like. It's real, a real eyesore.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: The White House is also announced a list of musical artists who will allegedly perform for the summer's festivities like flow Ride of Vanilla Ice and See Music Factory, Milli Vanilli uh and Young MC. I say allegedly because already Milli Vanilli and Young MC have said they're actually not performing.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: This just in. The Commodores also said absolutely not. They were on the list as well, So that list is dwindling.
Speaker 5: Dan, did you follow how the Young MC and Milli Vanilli things played out? Young MC, I think did not realize what he was signing up for, so he pulled himself out. Milli Vanilli seems to claim, based on a very bizarrely worded statement from the quote unquote real Millie Vanilly, that the Milli Vanilly that his book was a Milli Vanilli cover band. Now, if you cover, yeah, Millie Vanilly is also a cover band of Milli Vanilly, So it's a rusting net is Russian nesting dolls of cover bands here.
Speaker 2: Didn't one of them die? I think we only I don't know if we have Millie.
Speaker 5: I think it's only Milli Milli.
Speaker 2: Or Vanilli dead. Let's see. Uh okay, I don't know which is which, but one half of the R and B dance duo Milli Vanilli Rob Pillattis is dead. The other half of the duo, fab Morvin is alive. That's what Wikipedia tells me.
Speaker 5: Okay, well either way, either way, No, the mil Vihilly will not be performing as.
Speaker 2: We for many reasons, for many reasons.
Speaker 5: If he actually could get the original Millivilly performed, that would be impressive.
Speaker 2: Now, of course, while all this is going on, you know, Trump can't be paying attention to all this. He's he's he's focused on what's really important. Let's listen.
Speaker 4: You have one, in particular, very long lake. We call it the Reflecting Lake between Lincoln and Washington. You have the longest, like two four hundred feet long. That's longer than the tallest billing in the world. Have you said it on the side. We're now covering it with the most beautiful blue, very thick You think of it as a very sophisticated form of rubber, no leaks, no problems, and it's beautiful. It's called American flag blue.
Speaker 6: That was the color we chegs.
Speaker 2: Thick rubber doesn't leak. That's the blue. That's the blue that we're going for here, just covering the reflecting lake, calling it the reflecting late Now I said.
Speaker 5: What Trump is looking for in his personal bran of dependens.
Speaker 2: But there you go, there you go. So there's also this story today that Trump is pressuring treasury officials, the people who print the money in treasury, to put his face on a special two hundred and fifty dollars bill in honor of America's two fiftieth and in honor of Trump, of course. And this made me wonder, like, Okay, the corruption, huge political problem, the biggest political problem. I'm sure obviously all of this also looks extremely out of touch. While the economy is in the shitter, you think people also might feel just a bit uneasy about Trump's messionic rebrand of America here. I mean, it's just like, the face is on everything, the name is on everything, there's fucking gold everywhere. It's a little fucking creepy.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I want to get to that question. But can we dig on the two hundred fifty dollars bill for a second.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: So Besson was asked about this at the briefing, and he pointed out that there is a law that says that you cannot put a living person on money, and that there's a bill before.
Speaker 2: Passing like the eighteen hundreds. Yes, and it was after George Washington, our first president, refused to put his face on currency while he was alive.
Speaker 5: And so there's a bill before the House in the Senate right now that would lift that restriction for the purposes of allowing Besson to put Trump's face on the money. And my message too, I'm gonna speak directly too, Mike Johnson, Johnthune, and frankly, every congressional Republican immediately. If you do not immediately go to the Capitol right now and vote on that bill to put Donald Trump's face on our money, then you are traders to the macro costs. You are weak woke liberals. You have to do this. Vote for it right now. I can think of nothing no better use of your time.
Speaker 2: I got a better idea, Dan. Remember they all went home before the Memorial Day break because they couldn't come to an agreement on the budget bill that was supposed to fund ICE and all the other bullshit in there, like the one point eight billion dollars slush fund for January sixth. Rioters. Democrats have the ability to offer amendments in a vote rama process. So if I was Chuck Schumer or Senate Democrat, I might offer an amendment about this. And let's put everyone on the record and see what they think. See what all the Republicans think about the Donald Trump's face on the two hundred fifty dollars bill.
Speaker 5: I like that, say, it's a great idea. You have really grow aged into a legisative strategist late in life. So that's great. All right, let's get let's get you that. Let's get to the of your question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Basically, do I think voters are creeped out and maybe a little scared by Trump basically cosplaying Kim Jong un Vladimir Putin, pick your tinpot dictator. Look, I think the biggest political problem here is that Trump is focused on dumb, self serving shit instead of loring people's costs, Like that is the fundamental thing. You add a side of pretty blatant corruption to it, that's pretty bad. I think people see the Trump putting his name on everything's face and everything, and I think maybe last year they would have seen that as scary. I think this year they think it's stupid. Because the Trump of twenty twenty six and now the Trump's twenty twenty five, twenty twenty five, he was single handedly destroying federal agencies, sitting mast agents everywhere, He was astride the world. He was bizarrely popular, and now he is a deeply unpopular, doddering old man who can't stay awake in meetings, He is losing wars to Iran. He just looks we he seems different. He just seems smaller now. And you see that in the polling where majorit pluralities of people and large majorities of independence no longer describe him as strong. They see him as weak and in decisive, And I think so, I think should people be creeped out by it? Absolutely? I think the approach is probably not fear, its derision.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I don't. I probably I probably articulated it wrong. I don't think it's fear like. Oh no, scary dictator kind of thing. When I said uneasy, I feel like people look at it, and first of all, I think part of this is me when the ballroom thing first happened, not thinking that the ballroom was going to be a big deal, and then realizing that the imagery of the East Wing being demolished was more powerful to people than I had imagined, and not just from a corruption angle, because at that point it was just We're going to knock down the East Wing and I'm going to build a ballroom, right, And it wasn't just like always not focusing because we didn't have the war then, right, but it was still like, what are you what are you doing? I think that people have not There's going to be a lot of focus and a lot of attention on Washington, d C over the next couple of months because it's America's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary birthday and there's going to be a lot of activities in DC, and so those images are going to be broadcast and everywhere, and just like people tuning in to what's happening in DC with like Trump's face on the Justice Department and his name on everything, and the gold everywhere. I kind of just think it's it's a small thing, but I think it's just sort of adds to the like what the fuck is happening right now? Like it doesn't make you feel It doesn't make you feel good about America at a time where people most people will want to feel somewhat patriotic or happy about America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday, making it all about Donald Trump. I do think like cuts to the core of what like it bothers people into like, a fuck, this is not our country.
Speaker 6: What is this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think that's right. I think it's also just people are going to see it and be like why is this such a high priority?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, what?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And it all combines. I think it's like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Pods of America is brought to you by Policy Genius. This summer, you might be looking forward to taking a break from the never ending news horrors and spending time with your family, which means you don't want to spend your summer wasting time on personal admin. If you don't have to, Policy Genius lets you check life insurance off your to do lists in minutes and get back to your summer knowing your family is protected. Policy Genius is an online insurance marketplace that allows you to compare quotes from some of America's top insured side by side for free. Their license team helps you get what you need fast so you can get on with your life easily. Find what you need coverage, amounts, prices, terms, no guesswork, just clarity. Policy Genius helps you find the most affordable policy that meets your needs. They'll also answer questions, handle paperwork, and advocate for you throughout the process. With policy Genius, you can see if you can find twenty year life insurance policies starting at just two hundred and seventy six dollars a year for one million dollars in coverage. Head to policygenius dot com slash Crookeet to compare life insurance quotes from top companies and see how much you could say that's policygenius dot com slash crooked Pod. Save America is brought to you by Zibiotics pre alcohol. Let's face it, after a night with drinks, I don't bounce back the next day like I used to.
Speaker 6: I have to make a choice.
Speaker 1: I can either have a great night or a next day that is until I found pre alcohol Zibiotics. Pre alcohol probiotic drink is the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking. Here's how it works. When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It's a build up of this buy product, not dehydration that's to blame for rough next days. After drinking. Pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this by product down. Just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the night. Drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. I love zobiotics. I went to Vegas recently had one before, I had a bunch of drinks and lost a lot of money. That's not Zibiotics's fault. That's my fault. That's my vault because I love the action. I love the action, and I'm gonna have a bunch of zobotics when I get married before because you know I'm gonna you know, I'm going to turn one on. I think from the crack of the bat at the stadium to the start of wedding season. Hey May is backed with back to back reasons to be out. Don't let a rough morning after I keep you on the sidelines. Drink pre alcohol this day ahead of it, and make the most of every Saturday this month. Go to zerbiotics dot com slash crookeet to learn more and get fifteen percent off your first order when you use crooked at checkout.
Speaker 2: Zibiotics is backed.
Speaker 1: With a one hundred percent money back guarantee, so if you're not satisfied for any reason, they'll refund your money, no questions asked. Remember to at the zebiotics dot com slash crooked and use the code crooked at checkout for fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: There's just a bit more corruption to discuss before we move on. This is this is sort of your standard issue corruption. According to pro publica Trump advisor and family friend Peter Navarro. Remember Peter Navarro, Uh, he did all the tariffs that everyone's.
Speaker 5: Enjoyed so much in jail time. He did jail time, jail.
Speaker 2: Time man tariffs. Yeah. So turn it turns out he pulled some strings last year to funnel a six hundred and twenty million dollars pentagon loan to a North Carolina startup owned in part by Donald Trump Junior. What do you think early wedding present.
Speaker 5: Like we talk all the time about the crypto schemes and the Katari jets and all the other like very extravagant and extraordinary corruption, but there really is just a staggering amount of, as you said, mundane corruption, just like funneling contracts to your friends so that they can make money off off the tax payers. And Trump is probably, although not definitely, going to pardon his sons before he leaves. Maybe Peter Navarro will cross the threshold of people who will get pardoned, you know, because he did serve time for Trump for a while and he already has a pardon, I believe, at least a commutation. But the people who actually facilitated this, people who work in the Pentagon, people who work for Peter Navarro, they're not any partons, and they're probably going to see the inside of the jail cell because of it. And that is happening across the board, and like there are a lot of people who think who are serving their Maga lords, they're doing what they're told, and they are going Trump's going to pardon his close friends and his closest aids, and the rest of those people are going to be under tremendous legal jeopardy because of.
Speaker 6: What they're doing.
Speaker 2: I realized it's easy to become numb to all the stories about corruption and all the numbers. But what happened here is this is a pretty clear cut one. They set up this office in the Pentagon called the Office of Strategic Capital, and this was set up in the Biden administration. And the idea was, the government wants to give out some loans to companies, startup companies that are involved in developing rare earth minerals because we don't want to depend on China for that. We want to depend on the US, and so this is good. It's good for the government to sort of help these startups that are doing this. It was a They had one billion dollar lending authority under Biden. Donald Trump comes in and they increase it from one billion to two hundred billion dollars. So now it's two hundred billion dollars that the government is handing out to these companies. And in the Biden administration, there's a process you bid for this. If you're one of these companies, you apply, there's a rigorous process. They decide to take you or not. They reject some companies. They just obviously, we want to give loans to the best possible companies because it's taxpayer dollars that we are giving to these companies, so we want to make sure they're the best ones. Except one company, Vulcan, skirted that entire process and in fact didn't even apply. The White House. Peter Navarro calls the Defense Department and it was like, you got to give the money to Vulcan. You just got to give the money to Vulcan. And that is the company, this small company in North Carolina that Don Junior had just invested in just a couple months before this, and once it got the money, once it got the huge contract, the valuation of the company went from two hundred million to two billion dollars, a nine hundred percent increase. That is how much money Don fucking Junior made. Because his really good friend Peter Navarro, the two of them are very tight, called up the fucking Pentagon and said, make this happen for Don Junior's company.
Speaker 5: There's so much like this there is, you know, just for the other day that they about. You know, Trump had a big investment, It made investment in Dell right before a big announcement where Dell was going to get a government contract. Same thing with Robin Hood. Just it's across the board. Just everyone is robbing the treasury with two hands at all times.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it's not and it's not just like they're using their office. So they're abusing their office and just the fact that they have the office to make money. No, no, no, they're like stealing from you. They are. They are putting their hands in the taxpayer pockets and stealing because this is just taxpayer money that's been handing out and with no accountability or oversight whatsoever. Is this company going to succeed? Is it a good company? We don't know. Don Junior owned some of it. That's all we need to know. Money out the door, taxpayers only.
Speaker 5: It was only a year ago that the government told was that we cannot afford to keep a Royle Hospitals open.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we can.
Speaker 5: We can give a favorable contract with a huge profit margin with the people who put the weird rubbery paint on the on the pool. We can give contracts and done company. We can encase Washington, d C. Based horse statues in gold Where's Elon?
Speaker 2: Where are the doge bros. Where's the all in pod bros. With all the fucking come on, guys.
Speaker 5: Probably investors in the Donald Trump and Trump Junior company.
Speaker 2: Lots of waste in fraud right here. You guys were saying all kinds of waste in the government. You've been pretty quiet about this. Fucking losers, all right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The moment from Trump's cabinet meeting that actually got the most airtime wasn't the Iran stuff or the thick rubbery coating. It was this I don't care about the time.
Speaker 4: So what happened last night? That was the prelude to the midterms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, we noticed, we noticed you don't care about the midterms. It's coming through, coming through, loud and clear. He was referring, of course, to the Texas Senate runoff, where Ken Paxton, the deeply corrupt beneficiary of a last minute Trump endorsement, absolutely crushed incumbents Edator John Cornyn by almost thirty points. When Trump said, look what happened last night? What do you think he thinks toesday like demonstrated about the midterms.
Speaker 5: He's a simple minded fellow, John, And I think he very simple mindedly looked and saw that a candidate he supported won a race, and that he then presumes that candidates that he support will ran similar races in the fall. Now, what Trump is too simple Mondage to understand is that among the people who voted in that primary in Texas, I imagine Trump had a eighty five to ninety five percent approval rating. These are Texas primary voters. When people go to the polls in the fall, Trump will have somewhere between a I don't know, forty two and thirty two percent approp rating, depending on the district in the state, which seems like a slightly different environment for his candidates. Also, I think I just want to stipulate this. Ken Paxton was winning this primary, whether Donald Trump endorse him or not. He may have won by more, but there were reports in private that private polling had packs it up ten points before Trump's endorsement. We knew from the runoff that even though Cornan got the plurality of votes, there was a strong majority. When you added up Wesley Hunt and Ken Paxon votes, there was a strong majority Texans who did not want John Cornyn. And when incumbents go to runoffs, they almost always lose because the reason they're in a runoff, is there's fifty percent of people who looked at that income that they knew and said, give me someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say. Also, the turnout was so much lower. Did you see some of the estimates on turnout, Like it looks like between the first race and the runoff, Paxton gut about seven thousand more votes in the runoff, and Cornyn lost about four hundred thousand votes between the first race and the runoff. So it seems like a ton of Corn's voters just stayed home and decided not to vote, and then the most engaged, craziest MAGA voters turned out for Ken Paxton.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which was always sort of the fear. And it's not like this was the only race on the ballot. You also you had congressional runoffs and you had a very important attorney general runoff as well.
Speaker 2: So I guess we let's talk about how they're going after James Tallerico, who's now the Democratic nominee in that race, and then we consider of talk about the race ahead from now until November. It does seem like Magoworld is a bit more nervous about Tallerico than they're letting on, as evidenced by their subtle new strategy of questioning James Tallerico's masculinity. It's very subtle. I don't know if you can figure it out. Paxon used his victory speech to call Tallerico low t Tallarico tofu Tallarico and sixth gender. Jimmy Steven Miller tweeted that Tallarico will make history as the first transgender Senate candidate. And here's the game from Fox's The Five on Wednesday.
Speaker 8: This baby lotion soft a child?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: Does he looks pre pubescent?
Speaker 1: The major factor in this race, Greg is whether Talafreco's vegan.
Speaker 8: You say you have a girlfriend, Why don't you name her?
Speaker 5: Are they going to have a coming out party? Or is she still gonna stay the secret girlfriend?
Speaker 2: End?
Speaker 5: Is this totally fake girlfriend also a vegan?
Speaker 7: He looks like.
Speaker 2: Such a beta male.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 2: He was beta.
Speaker 5: O'Rourke was his big brother in the after school program.
Speaker 2: They'll say, they'll say, but he's a seminarian. How dare you not he put this.
Speaker 3: Semen in seminary in.
Speaker 2: Uh, what do you think they're trying to tell us?
Speaker 5: They dislike his policy agenda?
Speaker 2: I get it. I get the line of attack, and there is a universe where you can execute that line of attack, maybe in a way that's somewhat effective. Feels like if you're already calling him a gay pedophile in May, not a lot of runway left. Where are you going and where are you gonna be in October?
Speaker 5: I am curious about what is driving this attack, Like is it in the data or are they just echoing the thing that Trump said on Air Force one two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: I think some of it is like instinct, right, like they have Okay, the clips of James Tellerico that have been you know, all over the internet and right wing media are something something vegan. He's not a vegan, which clearly these people just actually don't know that he's not a vegan. And they think, now he says he eats meat because he's like got caught or something, but he was never saying he was a vegan. That was not a clip. The clip of him saying that, you know, technically there's six sexes because of chromosome abnormalities with a small fraction of people, which like great, and like a couple other clips like that, and and he looks young, right, and so they're like, yeah, he looks like it's like their go to is he's a beta male. But they can't just say that because there is an element.
Speaker 5: Of that's exactly what they say.
Speaker 2: Well, they can't just say that and like leave it at that, because there's an element of, oh shit, we just nominated Ken Paxton and we could lose, so we've got to take everything to a hundred.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I think a couple of things here. One obviously, their strategy, their only way to win is to nuke tell Rico.
Speaker 6: This is the way.
Speaker 5: There's stand strategy with Grand Platner who scand strategy with whoever wins in Michigan. Particularly is Abdul Sayid like that this is this is their approach. It's really it's only it's the only thing they have, right They basically this is the weak, woken to liberal attack that we talked about a few weeks ago. There are actually two separate things embedded in what they're doing here. There is James tall Rico is a low tee possibly gay, beta male there's not man enough for the Senate, which is really quite a thing to say. And then there is James tallerco is a liberal elitist, extreme isssues, out of touch with Texas values. That is the god is non binary. That is the false attackes a vegan. Those are two separate things. Obviously. The second one pulls well like like we we don't even we know that that's that, we know that that is an avenae chakram. I'm not sure sure the he's a beta male is a particular effective attack.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know that they're I guess I would say I don't know that they're entirely separate because the out of touch, the typical out of touch liberal who is a male, is obviously a low T beta male like we are. We are also low T beta males because we are Libs on the coast and we're probably vegan, and we probably have pronouns in our bio. You know, that's a pretty deep it's a very online take.
Speaker 5: It's a very online take. The other one is a it's a deeply dishonest because it takes a lot of as quotes out of context and edits them. Some of them quote uh unfairly. But I think that there is I'm just not. In presidential politics, strength and toughness matters a lot right, How you define strength and toughness is very important. You can define it in ways that are much better than sort of like brute for strength that you know, Trump sort of is trying to swagger his way into the Oval office. It matters much less and Congressional Center racist, right, You're not. No one sees you as being tasked with staring down the Iranians or taking out al Qaeda, or stopping crime in the streets or whatever else. People associate, probably incorrectly with toughness, and so I think that like Trump has sort of sent them on this path, and it is red meat for the Fox base, and so it's one thing of like Jesse Waters and the Yahoo's on the five to it. It was interesting to me that it was such a big part of Paxton's victory speech. I just I just like took note of that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, he is a he is a politician who, if not successful, will end up being a punted on Fox pretty easily.
Speaker 5: So that the line his speech was interesting because he did like he very Trump asked him that he was very excited and enjoying doing the Tallarrico attacks and responding to the crowd, and then he was reading with no emotion, wines about lowering people's.
Speaker 2: Costs, not what he's not where his passion lies. His passion, of course, and Fafty likes stealing from people, sometimes quite literally. He still stole someone's pen, So like a thousand dollars pens someone left lying around. There's like video of him just stealing it, which is very friends and neighbors. So Tellery goes out there responding to the beta mail line of attack. Here he is at a rally on Wednesday in Houston. This is his first stop on a statewide tour and his first appearance since Paxton won the runoff.
Speaker 8: In a time when there's so much debate about what it means to be a man. My dad showed me every Saturday morning he would mow our lawn and then without telling anyone, without anyone asking him, he would go next door and mow our neighbors lawn. She was elderly, she was a widow. He never talked about it. He just did it because that's what a man does. He serves those around him, He takes responsibility, and he does that's right even when no one is watching.
Speaker 2: So in addition to that, he also did a sit down with CBS with Ed O'Keefe, and you know, he said that some of his past remarks were cringe and that he would say them differently as well. He's been you know, there's been plenty of photos that the campaign has been pushing around of him eating barbecue because he's said he's eaten barbecue forever. So you know, it's all of a piece. But if you were consulting on the campaign, how would you advise him to push back on this? And I think more importantly like how much time and energy would you be spending on it if you were on the campaign.
Speaker 5: Before we do that, I just do want to stipulate that Team Selloryo has a very very real chance of winning this race.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that we should talk about that for sure.
Speaker 5: And because I get why everyone is skeptical of Texas. We have been burned so many times the you know, but this is our best chance in the generation to win state wet office in Texas. We have not won a Senate race in Texas nineteen eighty eight. We've not won state wide office of consequence in this century. And obviously the closest that a Democrat has come was Better or Work losing by two points six percent to Ted Cruz in twenty eighteen. But this is a different world. Twenty eighteen was a good environment for democrats. Twenty twenty six is a great environment for Democrats. As we said here today, at least this is a hard thing for me to say. But Ted Cruz is much more likable and has much higher, much more likely and more popular than Ken Paxton. This blew me away. In September of twenty eighteen, Ted Cruz a had a favorability rating that was nine points above water. Yes, Ken Paxton, depending on your poll, is five seven ten points below water and will never be above water. That is just he will never see the surface. The most important thing here is that there is a demographic pincer movement happening into Texas in this moment. So in twenty sixteen, Hillary Clinton did better in Texas than almost any other states, the state where she actually had the largest improvement of a Barack Obama twenty twelve. It's one of the very few states and maybe the only state where she did better than Obama t in twenty twelve. And the reason that happened is she blew the doors off Latino voters and Trump won by decent margin, because white voters of all stripes, college educated and working class voted voted for him in mess What has changed since twenty sixteen is those college educated white voters of which there are a ton in Texas, particularly in the cities and suburbs around those big cities, have moved dramatically in Democratic direction, and then starting in twenty twenty, Latino voters moved towards Trump, and Trump won Latino voters by ten points in Texas, coined the exit poles. What has changed since then is that those college educated white voters have stayed exactly where they were before and maybe even more fired up now than they were back in twenty twenty four, and Latina voters have moved dramatically away from Trump. Trump's approvating among Latinos nationally is minus fifty in the generic Unidos you that's in the New York Times pole and the Unido's US pole of battleground districts around country. They look at the battleground districts. There's a pole of Latinos battleground districts in the Southwest, which is mostly but not entirely Texas. Democrats are winning the generic ballot by thirty eight points. And so if James Talerico, if he can get Kamala Harris Joe Biden's style numbers with college educated white photers and something like Hillary Clinton's twenty sixteen Latino numbers, he wins that race. And he wins it by a couple of points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that. I thought Nate Cohne said something similar and then also said that even if you take the latest Times poll, the national poll, and you match the deffic and you match the shifts with the different demographic groups in Texas, if you like make it, then then it would tilt blue Texas. Yea, even before you knew the candidates.
Speaker 5: Right, he has to navigate what we all talked about to get there. But this, like, this is not the previous discussion of Texas. It's not like a lot of other red states where we talk about we're like, we got this popular candidate and maybe they can persuade a bunch of these voters and maybe we'll get their way. There's number path you can the math tells you that this state is in play if Talla Rico can achieve what should be achievable democratic numbers. So that's that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now I was gonna say, yeah, No, that's a good setup for what I think the challenge the tall Rico faces is I've been thinking about sort of Grand Platter in Maine and this. You know, I think there's been no bigger gap between what voters on the ground to think of a candidate and what the internet conversation about that candidate is than Platner. And I the reason I feel more confident about Platner is pretty much because the size of Maine, and I think that, like Grand Platner may meet most of the voters he needs to meet in Maine, and obviously James Hillary goes not going to do that in Texas because no one can do that in Texas because big fucking state. And so he does need to make some decisions on like how to puncture the internet caricature of him that a lot of voters are going to come in contact with and also through through television ads and other ads from the Paxstan campaign from the Republicans, and figure out, you know, like where to spend his time, what to say, what his ad strategy is, and your thoughts on all of that.
Speaker 5: So my thoughts are, I guess the way to think about this is the strategy they're running as Telerico is the strategy theyre rann as Kamala Harris in twenty twenty four. The goals who define him before he can divide himself, like tell Rico, very well known among Democrats in very politically engaged people to extent that other people even know who he is. It's they kind of vaguely have this sense that he is like a Democrat who talks about his faith a lot. Maybe is as much as they know. And you know, the general vibes that he's not a typical Democrat. And so that's a vacuum that the right is trying to fill before Telrican film. So what are the mistakes that Kamala Harris made that led her to be defined? The first is when the attacks came, like the infamous theyde them add she never took them on, took them head on like and we can debate the AD strategy around and we know all the discussions from all the people who work there about which ad sessa would good and which has ads tested bad? But as thinking siloing that conversation and ads is stupid, she wasn't like she was out talking to voters to try to disabuse them of that notion, like she didn't never took that attack on, So you're going to take these attack ons. I find both, even though I'm less concerned about the masculine attack, then perhaps you or others may be the fact that he took it on the first day shows the right instincts. The fact that he sat down for the interview with Ed O'Keefe to take tough questions about the things he said shows the right instincts. You have to take them on because if you don't, then voters aren't just going to assume that they're true, because people are naturally cynical. And the second thing is you cannot allow them to be a vacuum. You have to be everywhere, all the time, all at once. You have to be omnipresent in the media on social media. You have to be like you know, it's always the worst comparison. You have to be like Momdani, like there should be no interview you turned out, no podcast you sure turned down. You should visit every county in Texas or whatever is logistically feasible. Remember it took better like two years to do that, So maybe that's impossible, but do be everywhere so that people see you. Because when people see James Hilarico, they like him. He is like he has real appeal with this segment of Cornant people who who would voted for John Cornant over a Democrat, but might vote for a Democrat over Ken Paxton. And so you got but you got to be in front of them, and you've got to do be. There is no you cannot waste one minute, every single minute of every single day, has to be out there communicating. And I think he he ran his primary campaign like that, he's running his sort of career like that, So I think that that's what they're going to do. But like, if you think you're being aggressive, you're probably not being You should be more aggressive than that and keep going.
Speaker 2: I have seen a lot of right wing folks who are quite religious online make the argument that you know, James, the idea that James teller Rico's faith and pension to talk openly about his faith and you know being you know, being a seminarian is the idea that that's going to help him is like liberals idea of what a person's of a person of faith is, and like liberals have no idea, because the fact that he is using passages from the Bible to sort of talk about his progressive values is like blasphemy to someone the right, And I think that they have that wrong, because, like, I don't think that James tell Rico's view of his faith and the way he talks about his faith is going to win over evangelical Christians that are going to vote for Ken Paxton had voted for Donald Trump three times. Anyway, I don't think that's the point. In fact, I don't even think it's Oh, this guy preaches and his Christian faith is what's going to do it for me. I think the fact that he speaks from he speaks in the language of morality is refreshing to people who don't necessarily vote all the time or sometimes switch between the parties. It's all like the people in the middle that when you hear someone and especially a Democrat, talking about how their faith has moved them and how it sort of sort of animates their values and their decisions about politics. Like, I don't think at the very least, I don't think it hurts it purshes people away. But I think for some people they're like, Okay, well, this guy has a moral grounding, and even people who aren't religious necessarily or don't share his Christian faith may be like, Okay, this guy believes in what he's saying. It's like it gives him an authenticity that again, when you meet him, you realize that it's that's what it is. He really genuinely believes this and it animates him and it drives him. And I think that that is worth a lot in politics today.
Speaker 5: These things, these right when people are saying are so fucking stupid, because if the a literal meaning of the scripture was why these people voted the way they vote, these evangelical Christians vote the way they voted, they would a vote for Donald Trump. What I'm to take an even a hackier view than you, like, I agree with you obviously. The way he talks about from this, he talks about things that from a moral framework is so freshing. The fact that he talks about his faith is a massive It's authentic to him, which is incredibly important, but it's also a massive signifier that he is a is different than your typical Democrat, and if he wants to win in Texas, he has to be different than a typical Democrat. That's why it's important. It is not because he's going to get into a theological debate with a three time Trumphony evangelical minister in persuade them to his side. It's that he can communicate with people. He can relate to people whose faith is important to them or their their faith community is important to them, because that is a touchdo him to begin a larger conversation about where Texas goes, where the country goes, like it is a way in with a group of voters. It is not the fact of his faith is not delivering votes among other people of faith. It's just one way in which he can connect to people.
Speaker 2: I also think there's a way in which tell Erco has already started framing the race. And you did this in a video right after Ken Paxton won, where he is trying to make this about him and everyone else as outsiders trying to upend a corrupt establishment, and it's it's about the system, right, And so he he attacks Ken Paxson as corrupt and he calls him those corrupt politician in America, but he said he's part of a corrupt system that James Hillerica wants to change because it is the reON. You know, this is asof said the same says the same thing. This is the reason that you can't afford anything because these people are stealing your money and making it about voters and about why Ken Paxson would be bad for voters because they are feeling like they can't afford anything, and he's going to make it worse because he's a thief, just like Donald Trump. I think is a very potent message. I have a greater worry that if it's about you know, Beta male Low T T Tallarico versus you know, criminal adulterer Ken Paxton, and it's like a character versus character race, that's not one that he's going to have as much of a chance to win as if he makes it about you know, outside versus you know, outsiders versus the system, change versus the status quo. He's just got to make it bigger than about him and Paxton. And I do think that, and it's not just for Tella Rico, but it's for all Democrats because Paxton gives you so many is a target rich environment because he gives you so much to talk about, because he has such a bad record and these corrupt and stuff like that. It is very easy to turn this into a race about what a bad person Ken Paxson is. And I think it would be a mistake to just just talk about Ken Paxson is a bad person. You've got to talk about how Ken Paxton has fucked over the people of Texas when he was Attorney General and how he would continue to do so in the Senate. Like that is where the that is where you win it. I think.
Speaker 1: Poteave America has brought to you by Blinds dot Com. There's a version of your home you haven't lived in yet, where the light behaves, where the rooms feel finished, where you sleep until you decide to wake up. Oh man, isn't it nice to sleep? See you decide to wake up? You wake up, You're like, did I just do that? Is this another life? Blinds dot Com has spent thirty years making it easy to find the perfect fit. With over twenty five million windows covered in fifty thousand five star reviews, you can feel confident that you're in good hands. You can go full DIY. You can bring in a license vetted pro to handle the measure and install, or you can land somewhere in between. You're in control. Need help picking the right style, you can build a consultation. It's free with one of blinds dot COM's award winning design experts to leave in ship samples to your door fast and free. Choose from a huge variety of style options at prices that fit any budget. Everything is backed by the blinds dot Com one hundred percent satisfaction guarantee. Because at blinds dot Com, the only thing they treat better than windows, it's you. Lovelines dot Com. We have blinds dot Com in our office. We've been you know, we had no shades in our office for a long time and we like our office. It's nice, gets a lot of light, but sometimes you get hot. Sometimes there'd be a lot of sun that would be in our eyes when we're at our computers reading about the news. And then blinds dot Com came in. We stepped out of our office for like an hour. Come back Boom. Incredible Blinds. Incredible Blinds. Right now, blinds dot Com is giving our listeners an exclusive fifty dollars off when you spend five hundred dollars or more. Just use code crooked to check out limited time on for rules and restrictions to apply. See Blinds dot com for details. Pod Save America is brought you by ZipRecruiter. One of the big things we love about our team here at Cricket is the wide range of skills and disciplines that coalesce around our shared values, the committed.
Speaker 2: To the work we do every day.
Speaker 5: That's one of the things we love the most.
Speaker 1: Also, Peter and I talk about nerdy stuff all the time. We have a great team here at Crooked and you want people that have the skills and experience, but you also want people that care about what they do and are passionate about the job. You can't get that often from a resume unless you post your job on zip recruiters. Ziprecruiters powerful matching technology finds quality candidates quickly, and zip precruiter has a new feature that shows you the most interested qualified candidates first, so you can meet the right people faster. Candidates can tell you in their own words why they're interested in your job, no wonder. ZipRecruiter is the number one rated hiring site based on G two. We've used ZipRecruiter hire here at Cricket. It's always been a great help. We got that hiring is one of the hardest things you have to do. It's so important. The whole thing depends on finding the right people, and with ZipRecruiter it makes it easier find candidates you really want your job on ZipRecruiter. Four out of five employers who posted on ziprecruit to get a quality candidate within the first day tried for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked that ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. Meet your match on ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 2: All right. A couple last things to cover Thursday was Mark or Rubio's birthday, and his best present came from Emerson, which has a new twenty twenty eight poll out showing he's effectively erased JD. Vance's lead as a top contender for the twenty twenty eight Republican nomination. In August, he was at nine percent and Vance was at fifty two percent. In this latest poll, Rubio's at thirty five and Vance is at thirty six one Pole Emerson Pole Obviously, Grain of Salt does seem like there's there's some Mark omentum here. Our friend Sarah Longwell sees it in the focus groups too. A couple of different places. What's going on here.
Speaker 5: I think Marco Rubio's greatest asset right now is that he's not Jady Vance. I mean, I think that's it. I don't think he has done anything in particular that people love. It's not like he's just been crushing the job of the State's Department. It's not like his stewardship of the Iran War is making people happy. It's not like I think people are deeply dialed into his role as the overseer of the Viceroy of Venezuela. I just think he is a Republican who might seem slightly more competent and normal than your average Trump Cabinet member, and is not as awkward an off putting as Jada Vance.
Speaker 2: Do you see that that fun Daily Mail story has sources say that Vance is considering abandoning his twenty twenty eight bid, and he feels more isolated than ever now that Tulsea Gabbard's leaving. And it even got his team to respond saying that it was all made up and everything.
Speaker 5: Of course, but I'm sure he and Tulci were just plotting in the back on how to fail to stop Trump to do bad things.
Speaker 2: I choose to believe that story might be real. I think that would be fun if he didn't run. He has been very subdued lately.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's he's off line. Never he quit Twitter for.
Speaker 2: Lent, Yes, and then he just and then after Lene, he just he's kept it off his phone. He says he gets more done now, good for him, Good.
Speaker 5: For him, honestly, offline listener jdvans.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, if he wants to come on offline, we can talk about it. You see that Greshen Whitmer ruled out running for president twenty twenty eight. She may have like partially walked it back.
Speaker 6: Just weird, she.
Speaker 5: Sounded in the actual clip. She was pretty clear. Yeah, she was not running. This does not surprise me. She has really done none of the things that the people are who are obviously running for president are doing. She's not out trying to get a lot of national tensions. She's not making herself a foil against Trump. She's not going to all these cattle call events like l Sharpit's National Action Network and some of these other big events she had. I've not heard of her like meeting with donors, hiring staff, you know, talking to people like the people who are who are running. They're calling other people and they're making sure they know they might be running, and you know, and trying to persuade this people we hear from some of them, But so is that surprising. One thing that I think is I did occur to me when I read this is with Grett's presuming Greshen Whitmer does not run, there are really only two other women who were thinking of running, and that's Kamala Harrison aoc.
Speaker 2: Yeah and who else right.
Speaker 5: Kamares and neither of them, I think are I think most people will say the odds are against both of them running. Oh so you could with the point being that you could end up with an all male feel but should be kind of gross in eight Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think though for Gretchen Whitmer, it's like good for you, Like that is the if you No one should ever feel pushed into running for president because you are mentioned as someone who could be president, like like she is someone on paper who seems like absolutely she could run for president. She clearly like doesn't feel the fire in the belly, like doesn't want to go through it, like and it's like good, that's that's the best decision to make than to be like, all right, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna put the everyone through it. We're going to go through the whole paces. Like it's a very big decision. It's a life changing decision. And also you got to think about the party and the makeup of the field, and like if she doesn't want to do it, then like good for her for bowing out early.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Finally, speaking of deciding not to run for president, I want to just quickly take you back to June twenty seventh, twenty twenty four, the night of Joe Biden's debate with Donald Trump. We were there, not at the debate, but you remember, you remember that together. We were together. You might remember that right afterward, Joe and Joe Biden dropped by a watch party to thank supporters. And here's what Jill Biden.
Speaker 3: Said, then, Joe, you did such a great job.
Speaker 2: You answered every question.
Speaker 7: All that.
Speaker 2: Never get told. Now. Doctor Biden's out with a memoir, which she promoted in an interview with CBS Sunday Morning this weekend, and here's how she recounted actually feeling watching the debate.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happened.
Speaker 5: I mean when I as I watched it.
Speaker 7: I thought, oh my god, he's having a stroke, and it scared me to death.
Speaker 5: That's the time of my life. I don't really want to go back to. I mean, I will say I maintain a deep well of anger at the Biden's people around Joe Biden who helped keep him in the race, to people around Joe Biden who attacked everyone as basically traitors to the cause, who thought Joe Biden should run for president either before or after that debate like that still makes me very mad. I have come to the point, this many years later, that I just have to decide that I can no longer give a shit about the who knew what when? Like, obviously she was lying, then she's probably lying now.
Speaker 2: In fact, quite a few Biden advisors told Alex Thompson that they do believe she's lying, because they pointed out, if she thought he was having a stroke, why did she take him to an after party and then go to the waffle house after that?
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, there are obviously lots of questions, sir. Here's my thing, right, I just I have made a personal decision that I'm just going to try not to get that was basically a summer of pure unadulterated rage the whole time.
Speaker 2: What was happening I can remember at the time.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm trying not to revisit that period in my life. So as I say here today, I care less about what Jill Biden has to say about what happened that moment. I care less about what Mike Donaldan or all the other people who covered up for Biden have to say about what happened at that moment. What I care about is what happens going forward, And what bothers me the most is not the timeline of events of twenty twenty four, but whether Democratic leaders now will ever reckon with the massive breach of trust that came because of how all of that was handled. The telling voters that what they saw what the rise before the debate was that they shouldn't believe that, and then telling voters what they saw at the debate they shouldn't believe. And that lack of trust hurts us with our own voters, hurts us with the other voters, and we have to be thinking about way at all times about how to rebuild that trust, like we should optimize strategic decision making at the highest levels this party, for how do we rebuild trust not just with our voters, but with all voters? And that is I think as I try to find a way not just to throw my phone against the wall every time I see stuff like that. That's where I'm trying to direct my positive energy.
Speaker 2: That was just remarkably disciplined and adult of you. And you know, now I'm going to Austin the boot.
Speaker 5: Didn't you already do a YouTube about that?
Speaker 2: I was going to say, and I'm going to I'm yeah, I'm going to take that path as well, because if you want to hear me flip out about it, and Tommy, we have we have it on YouTube from this morning when it was fresh. But I I really, I.
Speaker 5: Completely agree was that today you did that today?
Speaker 2: It was today? Yeah, it's I know, but I agree with you. And that's the only reason I care about it now too, because I and I read that I think I said it to you too, that that tweet from zay Jelani who said, like you, like, I think people are underestimating how much the lack of trust people have in the Democratic Party is due to what happened around them. And I do think that, like you know, you can ask do you think Biden and what happened with Biden is going to be an issue in twenty twenty eight and narrowly know, but I think that the people are going to remember that. The Democratic Party. When I say Democratic Party, I mean the people in the White House, the campaign, plenty of Democratic pundits, plenty of people online who are still fighting that fight. Lied to people and didn't even lie to people in a way that was like like lied to people in a pretty obvious, obvious life the false, transparent way. And so that's like it's worse than a lie. It's treating people like they're fucking idiots, which is basically what they did. They told the whole country, that's the bigger thing. They told the whole country, like you know what, you know who that the problem is. It's these these these fucking DC establishment bedwetters who think that Joe Biden did bad in the debate. Those they're the problem. All I'm where with all you people, and you know, we we believe that everything was great. We know we think you believe that too, and they like they think people are gonna believe that, like come on, yeah.
Speaker 5: There was a level of delusion and deception that was bigger than like dismissive. I think dismissive is the right way to put it. It was bigger than just the Biden's age stuff. It was inflation, yep, it was gaza gaza and the combination of all of those things have put the Democratic Party in a bad place with its own voters, not to mention everyone else, and we have to be thinking about how it thinks and that that that's one of the reasons why I got so mad about the d SEC and truck Schumer coming in and putting their hand in these and in some cases now putting their thumb on the scale, but not saying they're putting their thumb on the scale by funneling money through Apax super PACs and these other super PACs and these other states like that.
Speaker 2: And I though you were gonna say, this is why I got so mad at the Ken Martin thing too, because that was the same idea.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's exactly right, that's true, and that's allowed me to experience the same many of the same people. Because I wrote that message box in two and a half seconds after the autopsy came out, Cliver, Kim Martin and resign. I really put myself at the front of the line for the people on the online to come out to say, like, where's the autopsy of your work in twenty twenty four pushing more good men out of jobs?
Speaker 2: But this is what and this is in the context of going forward. I just want the people running in twenty twenty eight, the people who are going to be talking about the twenty twenty eight race, like when the Biden stuff comes up, when the DNC stuff comes up, whatever, Like people who are willing to say totally fucked up. I was wrong, bad move. Oh, you know, wish I was more honest, which has more transparent Like great, that's fine, but you got to say that, you know, people like, yeah, where's the autopsy of your work? Uh, we're fine to say when we fucked up. This whole company was started because of a fuck up, because we were so confident that Hillary Clinton was gonna win. We were fucking wrong. I wish that we had gone harder. Joe Biden earlier than than the debate said that before too. You know, like, it's okay, you can say that you were wrong. It's fine. You don't have to issue a you don't have to issue carefully worded statements that evade the question because you know what, people aren't gonna trust you. So anyway, good luck on the book toward Jill. All right, when we come back from the break, you'll hear my conversation with Mississippi Senate candidate Scott Colombe.
Speaker 1: Podda of Americas brought to you by Built. Whether you're renting or paying a mortgage, one of your biggest monthly expenses should be working harder for you. That's where Bill comes in. Build is the membership that rewards you with points on every housing payment wherever you live. Built started out rewarding members on their rent As of twenty twenty six, Built members can also earn points on mortgage payments too. Every housing payment earns you points that you can use with top travel partners like United at Hyatt, or use your points toward lyft rides, Amazon dot Com purchases, and so much more. Personally, I'd redeem my points for fitness classes for Amazon for lyft rides. But here's the most underrated part. Built members also get access to neighborhood concierge. It can make reservations at restaurants, book fitness classes, and find new local spots, all while being rewarded at more than forty five thousand merchant partners. It's like having a personal assistant baked into where you live. It's simple being a renter and now owning a home is better with Built. Join the membership for where you live at join built dot com slash crooked. That's Joi n Bilt dot com slash crooked. Make sure to use our URL so they know we sent you.
Speaker 2: Scott Coloan, Welcome to Plative America.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: You are a district attorney in Mississippi, your seventh Generationsissippian. Your mom is the first black woman elected to her regions Chancery court. Your dad worked for Ronald Reagan before becoming a Democrat. When a Mississippi voter asks why a guy with your resume is running for Senate as a Democrat in twenty twenty six, what are you telling them?
Speaker 3: I tell him that we've got to have a senator that's fights for Mississippi. Somebody understands that the tariffs have been terrible for the farmers, for the small businesses, that it's been terrible for the people going to the grocery store, and that are struggling, and I'm not going to DC to be the Democratic senator.
Speaker 6: I'm not.
Speaker 3: We're not a state that can afford that, right. You know, Mississippi's got three million people. California's got close to fifty million. You guys got two senators, We got two senators. We have to use that to bring resources and jobs and opportunities to Mississippi. And our current junior senator she's betrayed that, she's totally betrayed. That the people in Mississippi know it, and that's why they're going to go in a new direction this November.
Speaker 2: You are running in a state that Trump just won in twenty twenty four by twenty three points. Yes, a lot of people will hear the Mississippi Senate race and maybe laugh. Yeah, make the case to the skeptic, what do you see on the ground. Yeah, that suggests you could become the first Democrat, really, the first Senate candidate to win a state with the incumbent president just won by twenty three points.
Speaker 3: So you know, I get this question asked me a lot, as you can imagine, and I used to answer it like I was David Axlright, I would say, well, hold on guys. You know, in non presidential years, you know, we get much closer, right, Like our last Democratic candidate for governor got within three points and winning. You know, last year we broke the super majority in the state Senate. But what I realized I needed to explain to people why I can win, right, And the reality is when I ran the district attorney in twenty fifteen, I ran against a thirty year incumbany. I was in the district that people had thought I had no chance to win it. But what I realized is that under the right circumstances, with the right opponent and the right candidate, you can win a tough race in Mississippi. And those those three things are totally at play now, right. I mean, I was with I got invited to on the Gulf Coast. Some Mississippians who previously voted Republicans noticed I didn't call them Republicans Mississippians who previously voted Republicans. They reached out to my campaign they said, listen, we love what you're doing on social media. That I was on a podcast, and they were like, we love what you said on the podcast. You're talking about Misissippi values. We want you to come meet with us. They said, maybe two or three people, we'll see how it goes. When I got there's twenty people former Republican voters, and they talked to me about how in this particular moment they feel like they're getting betrayed by the Trump administration with one point seven billion dollars for people that assaulted cops that the president's cronies get to control. And then you look at Sendor, our junior senator, right, I call her Sunday High Prices because all we got high prices from it. So, you know, you look at her and she's a part of the corruption. I mean, she's gotten campaign contributions from fertilizer companies that are under investigation for price fixing. Wow, those same fertilizing companies are really hurting our farmers. The tariffs hurt them. Now we got fertilized the costs because of the one I ran up price fixing. She's taking money from them. She is, you know, I mean, one of the Republican former he Misissippi Republicans told me. He said, listen, when I've heard about her going to Las Vegas ten thousand dollars campaign contributions to stay at luxury hotel to eat at luxury restaurants. That reminds me of the corruption we're seeing in DC. And you know, we got we gotta go in a new direction and just tell us what you're running on. And I'm running on making everybody's life it miss to be better.
Speaker 2: You know, it's how you do.
Speaker 3: I mean, you gotta talk about the issues and the other thing that I think is important. And this is for everybody listening. It's a mistake I think people are making. We're making it too much about the candidates. We're looking for celebrities to do the profile. Oh my god, they're great speakers. I mean, you know, I think I got a lot of charisma. I think I'm charming. I think I can give a good speech.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: But I'll tell you this, going out there campaigning, listening to voters. The no one I ask voters all the time, what matters to you? The number one asser, someone who does what they said they are going to do. It's not about us, it's about them. We have to make sure voters can trust us again, and that has to be not just running thirty second commercials. We can't advertise the way out this problem. We gotta go back and touch voters. We gotta get we gotta gain their trust and we get power again. We have to deliver. We have to make sure people understand that their vote matter, that we make their life better. And so that's a big part of my strategies. I really get out there our campaign. Anybody following me, John, I don't know anything in campaign that campaign.
Speaker 6: Who wanted to me?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's three events on Saturday. And I love voters. I love voters and I listen to them. You know, I don't just do town halls. I do town halls, but at some point you're just talking to people that you know from motivator to vote right. I go to the festivals, I go to the housing projects. I'm gonna do a food truck where I pull up at the union halls, go to the plants. We gotta go to the voters. We got to get no trust.
Speaker 2: So the former comm staffer in me believes you are totally right that you should not give the answer like David atslright would give the answer. That's what we would tell Yeah, but don't be a pundit. But now I am a pundit. Yeah, So Mike esp loses by seven point eight and twenty eighteen, and I remember on that race, consultants on the SB campaign being like, Mississippi, it's going to happen, talk to it could. And then Hood lost the governor's race by five five and twenty nineteen, and then Brandon Presley lost by only three point two twenty twenty three. So it's a narrowing margin, absolutely, still a margin, like what's the theory of the case that you're the one who can actually close it as opposed to being like the next data point where and then and then Scott got even closer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean some of it is the environment, right, I mean you look at twenty eight the economy was pretty good in Mississippi. You look at the economy now, the tariffs have been terrible. Nobody talks about how the tariffs have hurt Mississippi. You know, I was talking to a woman Dollars general manager, right, and I was shooting a little commercial in there, and I didn't ask her a permission first, so you know, you try to.
Speaker 2: You know're like, what are you doing this?
Speaker 3: So if you do fifteen seconds real quick and get out of here a director camera real quick. And she noticed me, and she said, what are you doing? I said, well, listen, I'm a Senate candid. I'm running against Cidy Hostmills. She had no idea who that was. And I was like, well, listen, don't worry about her.
Speaker 6: I'm the guy.
Speaker 3: And so I started talking to her. I said, listen to how the customer's doing. And she said, you know, they're struggling. I'm seeing them every month trying to figure out can they pay for diapers? Can they pay for groceries? And prices keep going up and she was like, I don't know what it is. I don't know what I can do. I feel helpless. So I asked her, I said, what are you thinking about the tariffs? It was almost like a bull went off. She was like, yeah, you know what it is, the terriffs.
Speaker 6: It is a terriffs. You're right, they're bad.
Speaker 2: And the people that you talk to connect that to the guy they voted for like twenty three points. Do they say like tariff bad Trump tariff? Like do they put it all together?
Speaker 3: You know, I think terriff is a bad word. You know, I don't know that they always do. I mean, there's a lot of voters that say they know it's bad because it became a popular term here recently, but we need to change the name of it. It really is a working class tax. It's not a terror. It's a working class tax, sales tax. It's a sales tax, I mean, and it's unfair to working people. It's a terrible way to collect revenue because if you make you know, fifteen thousand a month, or you make two thousand a month, you're paying the same tax. Yeah, and so you know, we're connecting the dots form. But I'll tell you who's really feeling it and they understand it are the farmers, you know. I mean, I can tell you a story after the story about how farmers are struggling in Mississippi and now in the fertilizer costs.
Speaker 6: And the problem is here.
Speaker 3: You talk about the corruption and how she's allowing the corruption, how she's partaking in it. But then you have to add that with she's totally absent in the state. I mean, she had done a TA hall in six years. She does not campaign. I mean, she her only strategy is scare tactics, thirty second commercial to scared the voters.
Speaker 2: She Yeah, a recent Democratic internal poll had her I think at fifty five percent unfavorable. Yeah, it's like twelve points underwater from Trump right our ound state. Why do you think she's so much weaker than the brand you got a senior senator in that state. I'm sure Roger Wicker that's more popular than her. Like, what is the specific Hyde Smith problem as opposed to generic Republican?
Speaker 3: Now you have to think about it this way. You know, when I was this is a great wedd to really bring the story home. When I was a child, my dad was Republican before he supported Obama in eight He actually was Republicans for obamaa Obama switched him.
Speaker 6: But anyways, when I would go to like.
Speaker 3: Jackson State football games, at halftime, you would see Thad Cochrane a halftime with a fifty thousand dollars check going to Jackson State.
Speaker 6: That's a hard guy to beat, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's hard to get motivated if the guy's breaking fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: You know. And we actually have a.
Speaker 3: Tradition in Mississippi of having senators that understand this position has to bring resources back to Mississippi. You know, Trent Lott, I don't agree with him on a lot of things, but he did a lot to bring jobs back. I mean, it was a majority leader. At one point, the majority leader was from Mississippi. So with her, a big problem is that people, even Republicans are like, excuse me, voters who used to vote Republicans, they are like, she is totally in my aid. We can't find it anywhere. She doesn't do anything. You know, I don't think we've ever had a senator that's this absent. And she thinks that all she has to do is be one hundred percent maga and she's she can win. But the reality is, I've been out there talking to voters and they want somebody that's one hundred percent in Mississippi because they understand the stakes. It's not like things are going well if you ask it. I mean, you can ask the most loyal Trump's porter right now, are things going well? They ain't saying yes, right, you know, they ain't saying yes.
Speaker 2: So if you become senator, you'd be the junior senator from Mississippi. Seniority in the Senate. It you'd rank towards the bottom like all news senators do. So like, what do you you're making the case that she's not bringing home resource to Mississippi. How do you make the case to voters that, like, if you go to the Senate, you'll be able even though you're one of one hundred and sort of you know, a junior senator helped bring home resources to Mississippi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean one, I'm going to use my vote in my voice to really represent Mississippi. I'm not going there, I keep saying this. I'm not going there to be a celebrity. I'm going there to deliver for Mississippi. And so that gives me leverage because I'm not you know, if a Republican offers something that makes sense for Mississippi, I'll support it. If a Democrat offers something that makes sense for Mississippi, I'll support it. Now, of course, you're right. You know, as a junior senator, you got to be smart. And what I want to do is I'm going to find issues that Republicans already support, right, Like economic development is a big thing in Mississippi. How do we bring in industries to develop capital to get our state moving in the right direction.
Speaker 6: I mean we're not like La building. I mean, you know every you know.
Speaker 2: It's it's really didn't we spend it wise?
Speaker 7: You know that.
Speaker 3: But you know, but for Mississippi, we need capital, we need economic development. We've got to be even Republicans, you know, leaders know that. And so that's an area where you know I can be impactful. That's really bipartisans. In the other areas we gotta find, Like for me, I got to find smaller problems that I can help solve. Like I had a good friend of mine who mentioned to me that dental care is really bad Atssissippi.
Speaker 6: It's at the bottom.
Speaker 3: And so like, that's a problem that I can help solve as a centator from Mississippi.
Speaker 6: That's not a partisan thing.
Speaker 3: So trying to find solutions to practical problems that makes people's life better. And the other thing that I'm gonna do, and I've learned this from campaigning so much, is you know, we can't stop campaigning. I mean, I know, once you win, you got to govern, but you also better steal campaign because a place like Mississippi, if they feel like you go to DC and you're just making money or you know, just a celebrity, it's not gonna work. So for me, we got to have strong anti corruption legislation that makes clear that we're not in there making money.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: That's why I support a band on stock trading. That's why we can't have people become lobbyists right after they become senators. We got to get the corruption and the perception of it because that helps the people that are openly corrupt, right because they can say the people are like, well, you know, air corrupt, but so so it's that everybody's corrupt. We got to show them we're not corrupt. We're public service. We're not there to make money. And it's beneficial to me that, Like you said, my mom was a chance to court judge, and I learned my ethics and values from my parents, and and and and so I was, you know, I'm really trying to honor their honor their legacy. That's why, you know, it's important to me to be transparent and be somebody that people can trust because I want to honor my parents. I also want to honor the ancestors that sacrifice so much for me to even have this opportunity to talk to you.
Speaker 2: You uh, I was just thinking, like the last Democratic senator from the state that voted by doubled it's this many doubled. Like in the twenties. For Trump was Joe Manchin and his model was like cut deals, pissed off your party constantly, and then you know, vote with the president when it suited the state. Is that your model too.
Speaker 6: Well, I think stand of match it.
Speaker 3: Try to get a little bit more attention that I'll try to get, you know, I mean, he does love a ten.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So for me, I'm more gonna be trying to use my leverage and voice to cut deals that make sense benefit Misissippi, but not try to be just somebody making constantly complaining about things.
Speaker 2: If I'm sure you'll hear this from voters, if they're like, okay, you say, you're not gonna be a typical Democratic center' gonna be a Mississippi senator. I don't like the Democrats. I don't like what they've done. Where do you think the Democrats have gone wrong? Where do you break from the party? Where would you be different than a typical Democrat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but we got to talk about economic issues. That's the first thing. I mean.
Speaker 3: Because if people like I knew this because I had a friend of mine that was a barber.
Speaker 6: He unfortunately passed away. Shout out to Jasper Pittman.
Speaker 3: He was a great political head. And so in twenty twenty when when President Biden won, there was a lot of enthusiasm and that was high turnout. And twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, he was a Democrat, he started getting soured on the party because of inflation. And then what he felt like was, man, we're talking about sending out his money to Ukraine. We're talking about foreign stuff, like, man, my life's not gotten better, prices are up, like we gotta started talking about me. We gotta started talking about the voters. And you know, I was able to convince him that it made sense that we made sure Russia and Putin didn't help take over Ukraine. But I was a trusted messenger, and there was too many people that didn't have trusted messenger to help them understand the Democratic Party didn't care about the fact that inflation was out of control. That we did care about the fact that the border seemed like it was out of control. And you know that a lot of people feel like that hurts workers. That hurts workers, and so we got to talk about economic issues. The other thing is that we have to like I feel like the last couple of years, we've been trying to figure out, you know, the answer to Trump is the president.
Speaker 6: Trump wants to make everything about himself.
Speaker 3: He loves that all their attention is on him, and we've been either making every campaign about him or trying to find somebody that can be as much of a celebrity right as him, somebody who can convince these voters. I think we got to go back and we got to make our campaigns about the voters again. We have to have candidate that not can only go on a podcast and make a case. But they asked why I should be able to be comfortable taking seventy five selfies right, going to a festival where nobody knows.
Speaker 2: Them, and gott to like people.
Speaker 3: You gotta like people, and that's great for me because I love people. And my opponent, she can't stay in Mississippius. I mean, she does not campaign at all.
Speaker 2: So the challenge for Democrats as always is it's like, Okay, we want to talk about economic issues when I talk about making people's lives better, and the Republicans don't let you because they make all the attacks about their favorite right wing issues. Hyde Smith's campaign manager, the transgender defender said, you were handpicked by Schumer, bankrolled by Soro, soft on crime, all the radical sex changes for children. I just unloaded the clip all the favorites. Walk me through how you answer that? Not for our audience who knows it's garbage, but like for a voter in Mississippi that will hear those ads right fifteen times between now and November.
Speaker 3: So I knew that she was going to do that. I knew exactly all those attacks are one play. Yeah, I mean, and so if you look at my campaign announcement AD, I tried to preempt it, right. So for example, I know in Mississippi, the way to counter a lot of that stuff is to show people that your life, your life is like theirs. Right, So my announcement AD centering around my family. I've got two daughters. I coach a soccer team. Listen, I mean, come on, I mean think people are gonna follow that like my dream. This is what I tell my daughters. I say, listen, you know there's not many ways you can disappoint me. But if neither one of you become a basketball player, I am going to be disappointed.
Speaker 6: I mean that, I mean one of them, the junior, one of my youngest ones.
Speaker 3: It's starting to work because I say, you know, when you get older, if you ever complain, I'm gonna always remind you I wanted one thing and you.
Speaker 6: Didn't deliver for me.
Speaker 3: So I mean, and the other thing is we gotta lead with our values.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: For me, you know, I do Soul for Sundays where I talk to church faith leaders and I center them and talk about you know, there's a lot of For whatever reason, we've allowed people like send me high Smith to trick voters into thinking that we Democrats don't believe in faith, Democrats don't believe in family. Like I have much more in common than to the average Missisi family than she does. You know, my wife, she makes me drop the kids off at school. Sometimes she didn't send me high Smith. Is never doing that. Right, I go to the soccer game watching my kids play. She's not doing that. I my wife make me go grow with let me keep suppings, and my wife makes me do it as a good partner.
Speaker 6: That's a good partner. My wife is trading me, well, that's a good partner.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I have the grocery shop too, and so I met the grocery store or talking to people listening.
Speaker 6: You know, my wife is like there.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna cut through that mess by showing them how my life is like theirs, showing them my family, and centering the voters, because we know every every Monday, I drop a video called Missipy Matters Monday, and I'm having voters kind of man on the street style, asking people say what matters to them? All the stuff she's attacked me on. No voters every said that's what matters to them. It's not on their minds. It's not so her.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: For me, if I can raise enough money to counter her lives with the truth and tell the truth about her, we're gonna win. I'm telling you, We're gonna win. The wins at my back.
Speaker 2: So what's the what's the message to a donor in California or New York deciding between writing a check to your race and to say North Carolina, Maine, Ohio, even Texas. Yeah, that's probably higher on the DSCC list.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but whoever's making those lists, I mean, what's the results? Right?
Speaker 3: So maybe we need to redo the list a little bit because Mississippi is a cheaper state to compete there. We're a cheaper state to compete there. But you know we have Christians. You and I agree, we have Christianist pis Save Mississippi Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: Now all we're gonna talk about Mississippi. And the reality is you can't save America unless you say Mississippi. I mean, we have to matter. When the country has done well, everybody's paid attention to what's going on in Mississippi. We focus on the voters in Misissippi making sure that they have quality education, quality healthcare. We don't let these people that want to take our country back control everything. And when we got you know, when we've done partly is we ignore Mississippi. And there's there's plenty of examples of Mississippi being ignored and we've seen the results of that. And to get ourselves out of this mess, what we have to remember is rural America matters. We have to have candidates that understand rural America, that are not afraid to talk to former Republican voters, and people that are not scared to talk to folks that don't even know who their senator is. You know, there's man, I'm telling I'm gonna win people are going to be other people outside missive be gonna be surprised. I'm not gonna be surprised. It's been trending that way. You pointed out it's been trending that way. But also we're running a different type of campaign. We're centering the voters, not me. You know, if you look at my videos, I have other people talking. I mean, can't tell you quick story. Yeah, I had a waitress at a restaurant.
Speaker 6: You know. It was kind of like he was starstruck at a moment, right, He's like, was that Scott Colone like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I said, listen, I'm listening. I'm not I'm not celebrity guys. What's going on? Tell me, tell me what's on your mind. Let me tell tell me what mattered to you. He said, First, I love that you do that, and I've been waiting to give you my asser if I ever saw you. He said, what mattered to me is like the drug prices are up because I'm on Medicaid and I had to get worse insurance. Now I'm paying more to get less. I'm struggling. But he told me, listen, I never voted before. I never voted before. I'm going to vote for you because you center voters. He didn't say center voters, right, he said, I love that you have regular people on your videos. You have the barber, you know, you have two kids, just you know, looking at the camera saying you know, this is why voting matters.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, for me.
Speaker 3: I can feel the momentum in the movement because I am out there listening. And you can do this in Mississippi. You can't do this in every state, but you can do this in Mississippi, and uh, I'm excited, and you know, Mississippi matters. We're going to show the country Missippi matters.
Speaker 2: Well. It is not an easy thing to do to run for office, certainly not an easy thing to do in a state like Mississippi when you're a Democrat and you are. I really appreciate that you're that you're doing it and doing it so joyfully. Yeah, So good luck out there.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming on Plot Save America on Plot Save Mississippi Day.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know, if you if you if you want to be a part of the movement, go to Scott columb dot com. We're building something special Mississippi I'll come back May twenty next year. We'll be talking about you know, how I keep Yeah, it will be how I keep our commitments, how we're delivering. Because the good thing about you is you understand this is not I mean, run if office is hard, but run for office and being a leader is also hard. So we can't stop you gotta we gotta be constantly keep it going. So thank you so much for having me. Thanks Scott, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's our show for today. Thanks to Scott Colomb for coming by. I'll be back on Sunday with a conversation with our pal Ben Rhodes. He's got a new book about speeches, American speeches and American identity, and so we'll be geeking out about speech writing and talking about America's two fiftieth So check it out.
Speaker 6: Bye everyone.
Speaker 2: Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari, with Reed Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Kanter, Charlotte, Landis Krol pel Avive, David Toles Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East