Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand. A study says that it found that the wealthy, particularly the wealthy that's motivated by greed. You may not think there's a difference, there is a difference, but the wealthy motivated by greed are more likely to be unethical, including lying and cheating things of that nature. Some of the findings like and I quote, people driving expensive cars were more likely than other motorists to cut off drivers and pedestrians at four way stop intersection. Those findings led to a series of experiments that revealed that people of higher socioeconomic status were also more likely to cheat to win a prize, take candy from children, and say that they would pocket extra change handed to them in error rather than give it back. And that's always one of those those ethical challenges that people will bring before you. Right if you are in a grocery store or some department store or something and the person checking you out gives you too much change back, would you keep it or would you tell them, hey, I think you gave me too much change. They're saying that those that were wealthy, being motivated by greed would not have given the money back or correct the error. More information revealed the conclusion that because of the abundance of financial resources, rich people live in a more insular world with less need for social bonds for survival. So you get to a place in your life where you know that you need people in your life because you have need. Now that sounds incredibly selfish one on one hand, but in another way, you learned that life is not in a bubble that you live in in such a way that others are important to you and a necessity. But when you get to a level, as socio economic level where you have less need, you kind of can pay people to do things for you. You have so much you're relying and leaning so much on this money that you tend not to interact with people in the same way because you don't need to well, I don't even need to be nice. It's almost as if you're telling yourself you need to be nice and make friends because you don't have anything else to offer or what have you. But you get to a place where you're more self contained and you don't care what people think, and therefore you kind of do away with niceties or other types of things they would call social bonds. That deal with your survival. If you think of it this way, a child at the beginning of their life, so precious and so needy, absolutely has to rely on that which is given to them by his or her parents. Right, So when small children, a child a male female are often more compliant with the rules of the household than a child who is going through that process of turning to a young adult who feels he or she is self sufficient, even though you know in reality they certainly are not self sufficient. But they get to that place, and that child now sees themselves as a young adult, sees that they have more, probably more than they think they do. In reality. They're still growing and learning, but they see themselves as having more. And this happens a lot in the teens, and they start to rebel more so they think, I don't need my parents, I can do all this myself. Similarly, as you obtain wealth, and if that is your sole goal, if that's what you're the only thing, you are completely and utterly sold on obtaining all of this wealth. Once you start to obtain it, you'll start pushing away those you know, other people in your life where you won't see a need for them. So the study is pointing out that people with wealth start to get rude, more rude, and ignore others and don't interact the same way because they feel they don't need to. When you think you could buy what you need, you don't focus on the skills that it takes to obtain that in everyday life in a real, deep and true way. The strange thing about this story is that this study itself is nothing new. Think about this for a moment. As a matter of fact, Scripture is filled with examples of people trading ethics, their own character for money and power. This has been around forever. Scripture makes it clear if your goal is just to make money and your motivation is greed, you should not be trusted, nor will you ever ever know the things of God. It's not that in Scripture I pick on people that are rich. That's not the case. If you know the stories about it's easier to get a camel in an eye through an eye of a needle than it is to get a rich man into heaven. Is that to mock the rich? Absolutely not. Is to say that there is something else going on in that process of gaining money that if it is based solely and propelled by greed. Then you will get lost in that pattern. You'll get lost only in those things and not into the things that God has created that are of importance, the character building, the ethics, the morals that go with doing the right thing, not because there is something to be gained on the right thing, like monetary gain, but doing the right thing because the right thing is right to do. Period. Scripture takes the time to point these things out, not to pummel those that have wealth, but to show you that the path to wealth often can be one that is barbed with ethical concerns as to how you will treat others and how you even think about yourself, what you're willing to do, how low you'd be willing to stoop to make money, you'd be willing to lie, or to cheat, or to steal in order to have those funds. In your mind, it becomes worth it if that is the path you're in. Trouble one Timothy six 't nine points out, but those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. But it sets it out at the beginning to tell you those who desire to be rich. If that's your only focus, if that's what you have in your mind as the ultimate goal, then you fall into temptation because everything around you is saying, hey, pick me, I'm the one that will get you to that place. I'm the one that will get you that money that you want. First, Timothy goes on to admonish you that it's not that money itself corrupts, but it's the love of money that corrupts. Often this verse is misquoted over and over Here misquoted one Timothy six' ten for the love of money is the root of all kinds of. Evils it is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and have pierced themselves with many. Pangs so what does that. Mean that means that if your focus is only about making that, money if all you want is to accumulate that, wealth there will be problems because that kind of love for money is just that is just the beginning, point the starting point for evil to creep into your life through, temptation through having that coveting, mind being envious of those that around, you and you lose sight of the things Of, god and it is through this. Craving it says in One timothy six' ten that some. Not all keep, in mind it's not, saying all and it's not saying money is. The root it's saying the love. Of money and some have wandered away from the faith because these things will capture your mind and capture your eyes and capture your heart and take them away from the Things. OF god a study says that, wealthy people if you're motivated, by greed you are more likely and more prone to. Being unethical it's an interesting right off, the bat it's interesting to think of it things. That, way well you know that somebody just based on how much money, they have might treat. Others differently and a lot of this was done through observation, and experimentation some of which was just looking at certain areas so, you know, and, saying oh this is how people react to, certain things sort of if, you will just by sitting and, want observing but also there was other experimentation that went along. With it but their conclusions were interesting about people with an abundance of financial resources tend to be kind of separate. From others they don't feel the need to have those social bonds that you may have with somebody if you don't have that kind, of money because those bonds really are about building, a community and because you believe there's a need for community and a need for. One, another well if you're motivated just by greed and you're building that health up and you feel that you have such an abundance, of it what is anybody else going to? Bring you that, old joke what do you get somebody that?
Speaker 2: Has?
Speaker 1: Everything nothing so in, this sense it's interesting to see. Those, things however this is. Nothing new thousands of, years Ago as scripture was, Being written god was reminding you of these Things one timothy. Sixty nine but those who desire to be rich fall, into temptation into, a snare into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin. And destruction is supposed to turn you away from those things you've heard many. Times about it's money is the root of all kinds. Of evil we've told you that over and over that that's Not what. Scripture says it says the love of money is the root of all kinds. Of evil and if that is you, you're craving then you will get lost. In it being wealthy doesn't automatically mean that you are greedy and. Therefore unethical many wealthy people use their money, for good and they give to others and don't just hoard it. For themselves this is a. Good thing proverbs eleven. Twenty four one, gives freely yet grows all. The richer another withholds what he should give and only. Suffers want there's. A difference there's. A difference the one who was filled with greed serves only money and consequently cannot Also. Serve, God jay welcome To The Jesus.
Speaker 2: Christ Show, hi jesus it's really great to talk. To you. My pleasure you get me to think, a lot and especially this, Summer anyway there's so many QUESTIONS that i want to, ask You but i'll get to the ONE that i called in about my FIANCE. And i, of course since she's, my fiancee, we're engaged and we come From different. CHRISTIAN traditions i am more of a come from a conservative, theological background moving all my journey more towards moderation, and BALANCE because i think that's what you're the perfect, embodiment of and hers is the opposite perspective of both of us moving in the direction. TOWARDS you i think we we we've talked before envisioning kind of our relationship with you as a as being little chicks touched under your wing from either side and being brought closer together to each other. Through you, My, QUESTION yeah i think it comes from a picture in scripture And the gospel that can't remember, exactly where though.
Speaker 1: There's there's often times actually where that that kind of illustration of A bird god being, you know like a mama bird and taking care of the chicks is is a concept that has seen. In, Scripture, indeed.
Speaker 2: Yeah and hers with more of a liberal uh. Theology framework, you know she always likes to FIND and i appreciate, that too, you know Imageries of. God transcending, You know i'm probably not saying this the, right way is, MY.
Speaker 1: Well i understand you Know what.
Speaker 2: I'm, saying, indeed anyway, you know the quot the question about sex before marriage has, come up and, of course from my more, conservative background, You Know i've i've leaned and told her my strong convictions you know THAT that i think we need, to wait and she feels that and she Knows where i'm coming from and a lot of, her tradition it seems like there are a lot of people uh and, she uh and she has has felt this and feels a lot. Of It, of hey, you know if you're if, you're monogamous it's. It's okay you don't have to wait. For marriage it's just as long as you're not, being promiscuous. You know and and if somebody turns out not to be the, right partner, you know if, that's okay you'll eventually. Move on and and, for me just that doesn't it doesn't. Feel right AND, and i, you know before we met and long over, My life i've also searched Scriptures and i've looked for like very specific wording, that says, you know doubt shalt not have sex before marriage or something. Like that and of course, to mind there's nothing.
Speaker 1: That, Clear, WELL jay i will, tell you if you're looking for for a scripture to be, that clear there's not one passage that says don't chew. Glass, either yeah so there IS the i think sometimes it's. Human nature there's AN.
Speaker 2: OLD.
Speaker 1: W c fields quote where he's Reading the bible and someone comes up to him, and says wait because they're blown away that he's Got the bible in. His hands THIS.
Speaker 2: IS. W.
Speaker 1: C fields he's a he's, a drunkard he, hates kids he. Smokes cigars this is not a, godly, Man right and he's reading scripture and, someone says what are? You doing and, he said looking, for loopholes looking. For LOOPHOLES and i think sometimes that seems to Be the christian mentality is it's WHAT can i get? Away with and that's kind of the wrong way to go to. Approach scripture but THE scripture i want to point you to Is one corinthians. Seven too so You've, got paul who's an interesting, fellow himself who wrestles with his own life and things going on in his life and the way he, sees them and isn't a big fan, of marriage but isn't a big fan of sex. Or relationships he's just he's just. Built differently so he goes on to talk, about how, you know how he wishes everybody was. Like him he just doesn't think. About it it's not important to him. That way but this particular verse is ONE that i want to point OUT because i think that it somewhat gives you by way of deduction and understanding it in context gives you something that maybe you can lean on a little. Bit More first corinthians seven to, two says but because of the temptation of, sexual immorality each man should have his, own wife and each woman should have her. Own husband so by, you know parsing and removing the different pieces of, that sentence you can see that sexual immorality or temptation comes outside, of marriage which implies not to mention that the term fornication is really having sex with someone who's not your wife, or husband so there is, no well if they're, you, know together. They're monogamous here's, another example and these are things that you can deduce without having a verse that says you should not. Do this commandments are very specific things that deal with the relationship between man and humanityity and, humanity really or the relationship between Humanity. And god but everything else is kind of talked about and. Pointed To the other example would be my very. Own parents so here you have my Foster father joseph and My mother, mary betrothed which is more intense than even people always refer to it as, an engagement but really it's more intense, than that it is truly a bond that you would have to divorce from where you could just get the ring back or not and, Say, OKAY syana i we'll see.
Speaker 2: You. Later yeah in that culture was basically, like, marriage right.
Speaker 1: It was it was very much, like marriage but it was. Not marriage so here they are not married yet yet he would have had to do a divorce her and it was shameful for her to have a child during. That period why because they weren't. Married. Yet yeah so there's plenty of examples where you can see it without having to have that one verse that says it in a specific way that you like or your. Fiance likes in a modern daytingue or any of. Those things it definitely. Says, it now having said all, THOSE things i want you to understand a realistic view of how these. Things work it's not, just hey don't do THIS because i. Say so there are people that are monogamous in an engagement period and that and then get unengaged and go their, different directions and if they were having sex during. That period the whole purpose of this is Not so god can control, your life and because sex is really fun and. Feels good he doesn't want you to. Do it that's. Not why it's Not what. God's about he's not the cosmic kill joy, that's going, oh look they're. Enjoying, That well i'm going to tell him not to. Do it it's it's because when you give of yourself, that way you give a piece of yourself to, that person and that's a little piece of you that you will not be giving to the person you're supposed to spend the rest of your life with when you. Marry them and that's really. The reason there's also other things that you take away from, the relationship those, first times those. First, EXPERIENCES now i know that's not always going to be, the CASE and i assure you you are not going to explode or go Straight to hell if you have sex with. Your fiance it's not going. To happen nor does it mean that you're going To hate god or not have a Relationship. With god but. It does it does kind of change the Relationship with god because you're seeking pleasure Outside of. God's WILL and i know it's one of those. Weird topics we joke about not Having producer neil host the show because his examples would. Be horrible in these contexts and part, of THAT and i use him as an example and he gives me the, you know the thumbs up to embarrass him on the program because he made a lot of mistakes in that very realm as. He both and it's a very but even with relationships outside of marriage and sex outside, of marriage it's a very potent and. Powerful thing and there are oftentimes you can go back through, Your past jay, and, go gosh there are People that i've had sex With that i'd like to have not have, had that or it wasn't a wonderful experience for, either party or were, too young or alcohol, was involved or when you go back through all, these things if you want to remove them from, your life then it wasn't a. Good idea and it's just more baggage that you bring into. The relationship and relationships can be difficult, as is and you bring those in and even now even more so with social Media and facebook and everything that people can look you up and find you from years years and, years ago and all these things just accumulate like barnacles on. Your life and in, this sense it's, Almost, like okay maybe you were promiscuous when you, were younger or prior to your faith or whatever. It was and this is a time where you're looking at this person, AND saying i want to, marry THEM and i want them to. Be different it's not about while THE minute i, enter her the world's going to Explode and god's gonna hate me and we're going to augur. Into hell don't think of it. That way think of it as not a, bad thing because sex is. Not bad it's beautiful and wonderful and Created by god and. It's pleasurable think of it more as this person is special to ME and i want to, separate her and she's going to want to, separate you hopefully from all the other things that you. Did prior and so during, this time out of respect for, one another you're going to put. It off not because, it's bad because it's, not bad but because getting to know each other is better. For now getting to connect with each other is better for now to have those moments and. Those connectives sex is not evil and yucky and it's the devil wants to. Pervert it the devil wants to make. It ugly the devil wants to make it. A taboo the devil wants to make it all, those things because it is the most important spiritual and bonding experience you can have. On earth it's the closest Thing to heaven you will ever have, on earth is that human connection and being one. With someone and the devil wants to make, It ugly And all god is saying is cherish it and hold it in, high esteem put it somewhere where it's appropriate and where it blossoms into something, even deeper rather than making it a thrill ride or at amusement park or a really. Good time and. That's all so it's not about shame or any of. THOSE things i hate when the enemy does that and puts all that ugliness. On it sex is beautiful, and wonderful but if you're going to marry this person and, she's special and she thinks, you're special why not hold it above that one thing that only the two of you. Will do everything else you'll do with, someone, else eating you may even sleep next to. Somebody sometime you do all these, different things but that's a one thing only the two of you are going. To do why not hold it special and make a point to each other that during this, betrothal period during, this engagement you're going to hold it high in hopes of making it separate from any other experience that you've. Ever had. Relationships wonderful i've said this many times on. The show it is that the center of scripture everything is really. About relationships AND although i joke With producer NEIL and i poke at him on, these things it, would be, oh goodness it would be one heck of a show if we went over all the mistakes he made and continues to make in his. Own life but they do enter the show as an important part of what we. Do here, on occasion the things is divorce or mistakes he's made or things like that as he's grown up and trying to Wrestle with. God's word this is a place not. To judge this is a place that we've made hopefully safe for you to get honest response to things in your life in a way that's. Hopefully helpful it's not about who's better than, someone else or who's stronger Or more christian than. Someone else it's about trying to find your way, for you matching up and Corresponding with. God's, Word brenda welcome To The Jesus. Christ Show Hellou, Jesus, HI brenda i would like to Hear The. Ten commandments please sure the decalogue that is the big fancy word For The. Ten, commandments Now The ten Commandments are they can be found in a couple places, in scripture but primarily when people reference or, quote them they're Looking at exodus twenty verses two. Through seventeen so that's what we'll look. At today is there a particular reason you want to Hear The? TEN commandments i, just no you just want to, hear, them, Yes okay well they're broken down differently depending on, the Group the jewish breakdown of the Ten, The, Anglican, Orthodox, catholic lutheran they tend to break them. Off Differently so i'm just going to go down them for you so that you can. Hear them you shall have no other gods. Before me you shall not make for yourself. An idol you shall not make wrongful use of the name Of. Your god Don't take god's name. In vain Remember the sabbath and keep. It holy honor your father. And mother you shall. Not murder you shall not. Commit adultery you shall. Not steal you shall not bear false witness against. Your neighbor you shall not covet your. Neighbor's wife you shall not covet anything that belongs to. Your neighbor so depending on how you break, them up some people will combine some of those or separate other parts of them and make them into. The ten so sometimes you might read if you Read The ten commandments In A, catholic bible it would be different From Other. Christian bibles so those types of things can get. Mixed up but really it's not about the labeling them, as ten because that's not How it it's not how it. COMES out i know a lot of you get caught up in scripture now and you see the chapters and verses and, you, say, oh well they labeled, It differently but really there there was no chapter, in verse not in, that context not in the, same way in the. Same sense it was more about getting the entirety of scripture out and the purpose. Of scripture so the, truth is regardless of how you label them one, through ten or if you don't label them one, through ten that the importance lies in not having any other Gods, before god not having, any idols honoring your father, and mother, not murdering not. Committing adultery these Things are WHAT'S IMPORTANT kfi a six forty on demand