Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone. Before we get to my guest, who is an opinion writer for the Boston Globe, you have been telling you for some time now about the new iHeart New and Improved app. All you have to do is go to the app store and pull it down, put it on whatever device you want to, put it on your laptop, your desktop, your tablet, your cell phone or whatever, and make us your first preset. And when you make us a preset, you will then have the opportunity on my page. I'm looking at it right now. There's a red circle with a white microphone in the middle, and all you have to do is press that and you have thirty seconds to leave a message. As a matter of fact, we have one that came in. I'm not sure. I think it was maybe earlier this week. We're getting used to the system, so if you have left a message, we'll get to it. But this is from a listener who we talked with Dan Watkins the other night about some of the movement of the Celtics that they've made. They've sent a couple of their star players off in trades the centerment Perzingis and Drew Holliday has been a returned back to Portland. And this is the type of message you can leave us. Now, this is self. We're a talk show, so we want you to call the show and express yourself. But when you have a thought, feel free. Rob wants you to play this message for the audience.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Dan's take on the Celtics thing needs to be that the purchase of the team the force purchase, just like Twitter was force purchased. The force purchase of that team basically has been to destroy Boston Pride, Massachusetts Pride, like all sorts of diversity and talent that we've had across all of our neighborhoods.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know that I necessarily agree with that gentleman, but that was his opinion. And that is the purpose of the new and improved iHeart app and the red with a white red circle with a white microphone, and you get thirty seconds and you can say what you want, you can play it back, you can make sure it's exactly what you want. So I would invite all of you to pull down the new and improved iHeart app. Just go to whatever app store you are it's all there. It's free, it's available for you all sorts of interesting items that you that you can.
Speaker 5: Maneuver with, just to explore and have fun. It's as simple as that. That is what iHeart is all about. Now.
Speaker 2: I am delighted to welcome back to night Side my favorite Boston Globe columnist, Koree Hajjar Korean. Welcome back to Nightside. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm good, Thanks for having me on. Glad to be here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, what people need to know is that you grew up in Milton, You went to a high school. You went to the girls high school in Denham.
Speaker 7: Correct, that's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I went to Earth One Ursuline Academy. Okay, Uh, and went on to Harvard. Uh.
Speaker 2: And you have been involved as a journalist, and now you are on the opinion page of the Globe, and you're one of there's a there's a there's a group of people at the Globe who comprise I guess the editorial board. And uh, you probably are the youngest member of the Boston Globe's editorial board, and as far as I'm concerned, probably the smartest too. But that's my own personal opinion. I want to put you in trouble with your colleagues, and now you will be writing a piece every week. Now, this one actually was on the opinion page, was not on what I would call the op ed page. Is there any significance to its location in today's newspaper?
Speaker 6: Well, first, I gotta say, I learn a lot from my colleague. So but I appreciate what you what you're saying as a.
Speaker 2: Person, that's just a personal opinion, do you know what I'm saying, Like my my new favorite Red Sox players, the rookies who have just come up. So you know you're not a rookie, don't get me wrong, But I can express my my personal favorites. So the piece today, which is on this Democratic Socialist show Ron Mamdani, who has just won the Democratic nomination in New York, kind of get to the substance of the piece. But it's on the it's on what's called the opinion page. But I like to think of it as the editorial page as opposed to the op ed page.
Speaker 5: Is that a distinction without a difference.
Speaker 6: So the opinion staff is one staff, and the editorial board, you know, we all sort of work under that umbrella. But you have our off eds that can be written by editorial board members like myself, but also people contribute all the time. I'm sure you've seen different. You know, politicians, acts, leaders contribute to our pages. And then the editorials are the majority or are you know? The voice of the Boston World editorial board consisting is my colleagues and myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wrote about eighty op edge for the Globe when Tom Winship was the editor back in the nineteen seventies while I.
Speaker 5: Was in law school. Actually, so bang out.
Speaker 2: I love opinion pieces, and I love your opinion pieces. This one is entitled bodenple Baby nepple Baby as class Warriors Zohan zoorn Mundani embodies the left's luxury beliefs. I loved the article. I thought it was really interesting. First of all, what is a nepple baby. I've had to look that one up. I know what it is, but it's in you. It's in the headline. Explain to us.
Speaker 6: It's the thing basically, you know, child of nepotism, which I have to give him credit for. He I recently saw a clip and he does acknowledge it. He says, quote nepotism and hard work goes a long way, so at least he fusses up to it. But it was just a ton of tongue in cheeks, sort of fun way to drive home the point of the piece.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is to me extremely interesting that this fellow who I guess as a member of the State Assembly, he's a thirty three year old Democratic Socialist. He's sort of from the Bernie Sanders wing of the Democratic Party. Now Bernie has always been thought of as this anomaly within the Democratic Party Vermont a little different than Bernie had been the mayor of Burlington from wont and he works hard. But this guy at thirty three could be the next mayor of New York City. And I suspect that there's a lot of people who are even both excited about it and a bunch of other people within the Democratic Party who are concerned. Let's talk about the piece. What's the big message for people who haven't yet read the piece but will hopefully find the piece and read it sometime tonight or tomorrow. What's the big message?
Speaker 5: You want to.
Speaker 6: Impart in A big message here from this season in particular, there's a lot to say about this race, and I'm sure we'll get into it. Like you said, it says a lot about the Democratic Party. Some people are some people are very unhappy, and the reasons are interesting, but this piece in particular really argues it just looks into sort of the progressive tilt of the Democratic Party that we've seen increasing over the last really decade. In this idea of luxury beliefs, which are you know, easy to these sort of fashionable progressive beliefs that are easy to say and sound quite nice, but really come at a high cost and often come from, you know, people who might not feel the full bunt of it. But the term itself was coined by Rob Henderson, who's a Globe Opinion contributor and Fantastic Singer fellow at the Manhattan Institute, and his definition of luxury beliefs is quote ideas and opinions that confer status on the upper class at very little cost, while often inflicting costs on the lower classes. Now, if you look at Amondani's policies, rent freezes, public owned grocery stores, free child care, you know, not really doing anything to address the hiring crisis and the NYPD, but relying more on social workers while still not addressing the decreasing number of props. I mean, those are those are policies that very well could end up hurting the populations that he purports to help. And it was interesting to see last night it was higher income people who tended to vote for him. Cuomo won the black vote in New York. So it's just a really interesting election.
Speaker 2: Well, Colmo, of course came former governor of New York, came to the UH to this race with with some baggage himself, so he at this point a flawed candidate. Seems to me that he's fighting below his weight or punching punching down as a former governor. He's now going to become the mayor of New York City. UH. It seems to me that that's an interesting progression. A few years ago, many people thought that Andrew Cuomo UH might have been the great hope for the Democratic Party as a presidential candidate, you know, following in the footsteps of Franklin Roosevelt. But such is not the case. And he apparently has now said that he is out of the race. I mean, he lost, but he could have at that point decided to try to get on the ballot as an independent, but Mayor Adams is on the ballot as independent. This guy now will have the Democratic nomination, upon which seroon and generally there's a four loan fore lawn Republican or so who will be on the ballot. But this race is really going to come down to Eric Adams and literally a socialist who has said some pretty controversial things about Israel and was I guess the founder at Bowden of Students for Justice in Palestine. So this is this is going to be a huge race this November. I mean that's going to I think tack the Democratic Party. Whoever wins, either Adams wins in the party, maybe tax a little bit back towards center. This guy wins in this party now becomes the party of Elon Omar in AOC and the most progressive wing of the Democratic Party. Or am I overstating it?
Speaker 7: No? I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't think you're overstating it at all. And actually, as of an hour ago, it looks like Cuomo hasn't dropped out of the race. He can still be on the ballot. That does not mean he's going to go forward, you know, and necessarily campaign again, but his name might still appear on the ballot, and I.
Speaker 2: Believe that's because ma'am mea and Donnie did not receive above fifty percent of the vote.
Speaker 6: Correct, I'm not I'm actually not quite sure about that. This was sort of a contingency contingency plan from Cuomo. Should he not win the primary, his name was still going to be on the ballot. But you know, I think you asked a really good question about what this sort of says for Democrats right now, and I think in a lot of cases, it's actually less about with the names that you've lifted aoc momdani on ilhan Omar, but especially the first two, it's almost less about the policies that they're selling, because I think at the end of the day, like the American voter is busy if they hear something that sounds appealing and nice, even though you know, like a rent freeze in the end can turn messy and it can be actually quite bad for the economy. But you know, they're saying nice things. But more than that, it's the way that they're saying them. I mean, he ran a great campaign. He was out in the city all the time. His social media game was fantastic. He's a charismatic speaker. He always has a smile on his face. He was walking the length of Manhattan to meet people from the top to the bottom. I mean, like it was a really well done, organic campaign. And when you looked at Cuomo, who sort of, you know, like you said, comes with his own baggage and is like sort of of his own era and time. But he in this race, he basically represents all of the older Democrats who are trying to hold onto power, who are trying to help steer the party in this Trump era, and he flopped and that is really significant.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 6: I think Democrats are taking a really hard look at what's happening now. There like competing there are different competing visions for the future of the party. You have like the idea of abundance and not being more of an economic vision, and then you also have more of this sort of socialist policy bubbling up. I think that's going to be the policy battle. But the image of old versus new in this election really just characterizes what the Democratic Party is facing.
Speaker 5: Are there no.
Speaker 2: Young Democrats in New York City elected who could have taken this guy on. I mean, if he won this race, well, let me do this. I got to hold that question because I'm way past my break. Let's take a quick break. I'll come back to that question. Where are the rational young Democrats in Hajar, Boston Globe opinion columnist, has written a piece about the mayoral election of primary election that was held in New York on Tuesday and the result. If you'd like to join the conversation, especially if you have some connection with New York, and I have a lot of listeners in New York six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside, and I'm delighted to have Korean Hajar for the Boston Globe as our guest.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: My guess from the Boston Globe opinion writer. She's also remember the Globe editorial board. Kareen, Hajar, Kareen. The question that I was asking, obviously, Mandamie's was thirty three. I believe that Cuomo is sixty seven, so there's an age disparity. Where are the young Democrats to take on the Democratic Socialists? I mean, if the Democratic party becomes a socialist party, they're going to consign themselves to the dust bowl of history. I believe maybe they know something I don't know, but I don't think socialism. Socialism might work in deep blue New York City or in a couple of boroughs of New York City, but I don't think it works nationally, right.
Speaker 6: And I think that's going to be the challenge here. Like you saw a lot of excitement around this from national Democrats. I mean, you have big names lining up and congratulating Mom Dannie. I believe Bill Clinton congratulated him. I believe Chuck Schumer congratulated him. So you know, people are paying attention. But I think there's excitement around the excitement of this campaign. But like you said, it's not scalable to the rest of the country. You're not going to get, for example, a presidential candidate Democrat who runs on a purely socialist platform who says he doesn't like capitalism, like Zi, I mean, that's going to be a really hard sell to a general election population, right. But I think I think if there is any positive lesson for Democrats to take away from this as just the way that he campaigned and also the use of all of this. I do believe that voters are There was a great analysis by the president of the Manhattan Institute and the Free Pros Today basically saying it's like you know, it's it's voters want something fresh. They want something new from democratic party that has you know, become defined by people who have been in power for decades. They want new ideas, and even if those ideas are like a little zany uh, they're just going to be happy with the newness of it. So I think that's for the lesson to take well.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard too many establishment establishment Democrats used the phrase globalize the as has been reported. Mindani uses this. I think he's got a problem with with And again I realized that New York City is not Tel Aviv, and New York City is not a part of Israel, but there's a pretty significant Jewish population. When he's got a guy running from mayor who has used the phrase globalize the Intifada and who himself organized a group called Students for Justice in Palestine when he was undergraduate at Boten I'm not Jewish, but that would bother me.
Speaker 6: There is a lot of you can just see it in a lot of the commentary from the Jewish community. People are really nervous about just you know, the phrases that he's used, some of the policies that he's voted before, you know, previously in the Assembly. So there's nerves about that, and that's going to be something that Eric Adams, the incumbent, is really going to focus on. I'm sure. I mean, he has sort of positioned himself as a more Israel friendly candidate, and I'm sure is going to be spending a lot of time courting the very large Jewish community in New York.
Speaker 2: And then this he's talked about city run grocery stores. There's a lot of countries, socialist countries or communist countries that have had you know, government run grocery stores. And the prices are really low with those grocery stores, except the commodities and the products aren't available. I mean, you can get a gallon of milk for a nickel, but there's no local available.
Speaker 5: So what difference does it make.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is I'm being totally serious when I say that people that dumb, that they don't understand that our system, our economic system, has provided just a plethora of options and choices for people go try to go to a grocery store in North Korea or in many of the countries that have tried communism or socialism and failed. What how how does this guy got what like thirty three thousand votes or something or some I mean he hold up a big number of votes, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he sure did. I mean he at least based on the you know, he won forty three point five percent of the vote to Cuomo's thirty six point four percent, according to the New York Times. So but but you know that, you know, the grocery store point is definitely a source spot for me. I mean, my mom's a Venezuelan immigrant.
Speaker 5: Oh and okay, yeah.
Speaker 6: And this is just sort of the stuff that was sold as a shiny new idea in the early you know, in the pre Chavista into travisa era, and you know, by the time that it really developed and got and got bad. As we've been watching over over a decade, you know, it was hard for my grandmother to get her my late grandmother to get her insulin. It was hard to get It's not just groceries, it's medicine, it's everything, does everything.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a it's so so your family was there when shot is swept into power in Venezuela.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some of my family. My mom has since she's an American citizen, but she you know, we have family there, and it really, I mean, Venezuela is a remarkable, beautiful country and it's just been absolutely destroyed and hampered by this terrible ideology.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable. I mean, look at Cuba. I mean they don't have any new cars. They're cannibalizing cars from the nineteen fifties. Yeah, it's unbelievable. And you're saying it's the wealthy people in New York who tended to vote for this guy. Who do the wealthy people think this guy is going to tax in order to pay for all of these theoretical government benefits.
Speaker 6: Well, my first comment the after Cuomo sort of conceded the election on election night was, you know, as much as progressives thet ron DeSantis, they sure love expanding his tax base because that's exactly what it's going to happen. Chicago is a warning. You know, so many big businesses left Chicago, some go into Miami because they knew it was just a business friendlier climate, better for your taxes. If you're you know, a high earner, but you're the one, you know. New York needs high earners. It has a lot of projects that has a big budget, and this is just the stuff that's going to keep pushing people over the edge and into into Florida.
Speaker 2: Wow, let's we'll get some phone calls six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty those in the lines you can talk with Boston Globe opinion writer and also member of the Boston Globe editorial Board, Korean Hajar. And I am just if this article today is in the in the Globe, if you have access to it to your Globe, and I hope you do. Uh, I have access. I have a I actually get to still get my paper delivered at the door for the Globe.
Speaker 5: I read the Herald online.
Speaker 2: I read a lot of the papers online, but I love to have at least one newspaper where I can get some newsprint on my fingers. Traditions die hard in my mind. We'll be back on night side with phone calls and koreem Well comments on this potentially ground shaking a primary election in New York City. I just don't understand how a Democrat like Chuck Schumer is going to be able to be comfortable with this guy, but we'll find out coming back. And by the way, a long New York has come a long day, long way from the days of John Lindsay and Ed Koch to this guy. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is Boston Globe opinion columnist Korean Hajra. We are talking about the the the election, the primary election in New York City. You know, it wasn't too many primaries ago that AOC upset Congressman Murphy, who was a long time serving US congressman. So New York primaries do have the element of surprise.
Speaker 7: Korean, they sure do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I think that is an early example of just like how a very organic grassroots campaign, no matter how nutty the ideas are, can actually, you know, really succeed in gain momentum.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean there are some nutty ideas on the Republican side too. I mean, you have.
Speaker 2: You have the extremes in both parties, and those extremes help the other party. As far as I'm concerned, that you can hold a scene in Georgia without a crazy Republican, or you could hold a seat in Colorado, and you could hold seats in New York with normal Democrats who.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just it's amazing. Let's go to the call. It's going to go to Steve and Cambridge. Steve, you are next to your first this hour a night siut with Kareen Hasak.
Speaker 7: Go right ahead, Steve, good evening. Dan is it Kareem k I r e e n no.
Speaker 2: C A r I ny if the pronunciation is wrong, Koreean to help me out.
Speaker 6: Kareen, you got it?
Speaker 7: Korean b A r I n e karne Yes. I mean, I don't know. I think you and Dan are making a little bit more of this than it really needs to be made. When a party loses an election as badly as the Democrats lost the last election, it always takes time for them to find some footing. So I and I think all these predictions of demise of the Democratic Party or catastrophe might be a little premature.
Speaker 5: I'm not predicting that, Steve.
Speaker 2: I don't know that Koreen is us either, but but when you have you know Bertie Sanders can be seen as sort of an idiosyncret and out of Vermont because Vermont is such a small state. But when you have someone like this who might be elected mayor of New York City, I mean, this guy makes de Blasio look like some right wing conservative.
Speaker 7: Karine, you Dan, You're probably right, But Karin, did you see de Blasio. He was on the television the other night celebrating the victory of this primary candidate, and basically all he talked about was how this candidate was now going to stand up to Donald Trump. He didn't say anything really about New York at all.
Speaker 6: Well, that doesn't come as a huge size, but you know, I think that sort of touches on a big theme in this election that we haven't talked as much about as also just how this is. You know, both parties are going to use this as fodder against each other. The duns are going to say, here's somebody who can stand up to Trump, which, by the way, is just not the mayor of New York's job. The mayor of New York job is to deal with the considerable challenges. You know, one of the most prominent American, one of the most prominent worldwide city dealed with right now. But you know, Republicans are already gleefully leaning into, you know, the all of the imagery of a socialist leading New York. As much as they probably don't like it, there's also a little bit of excitement about being able to run against it. You can already tell. I mean, I think it was Scott Brown that posted a picture today of mom Donnie aot next Kristapas, who he's running against her tennant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, Scott problems with us last night as a matter of fair career. So yeah, when.
Speaker 7: You keep saying that his ideas are nutty, I mean Bernie Sanders. Some people thought that if Bernie Sanders had run instead of Biden, he might have beaten Trump. I mean, there are a lot of people who really like Sanders. I may not. You may not like Dan may not, but I don't think I think a lot of his ideas resonate with an awful lot of American people.
Speaker 6: I'm not so sure that I agree that it's the ideas. I mean, at the end of the day, campaigns are first and foremost about getting your image out there and spreading excitement, and I think that this campaign just did a really good job at that. If you, I'm I'd be skeptical to think, I mean, maybe it could eat by in liberal New York. I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd be skeptical to think that a fully a full blown socialist could win president of the United States.
Speaker 7: Let me ask you one last question if I may, because I know there are other callers waiting, But I read your column on the editorial page regarding Trump's bombing of Iran. Yes, you wrote a column, and I thought you My impression was you thought it was probably a good move on his part. I think it was.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 7: But okay, my question is I had I had stopped reading the Globe for an awfully long time because I thought it was too biased to the left and anti Trump, and then I saw your column and I was like, very surprised that that was in the Globe. Has the Globe made an effort, in your opinion to kind of have a little bit more of a mixed opinion as opposed to a leftist or liberal opinion, Because I was again surprised to see your column in the Globe praising Trump.
Speaker 6: I have to say, you know, I'm not always I call them like I see him. It's not always positive, it's not always negative. But at the end of the day, I mean, speaking just from my experience, I felt completely welcome as a conservative writer. And I think if you check out our op ed our ideas section, you're going to find a lot of heterodox ideas there. It's not just liberal ideas.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Way, Steve, By the way, just so you know, Karine is a Harvard graduate. She grew up in Milton and uh, very impressive background, to be really honest with you, And I think the Globe has has decided to retain her her services not because of her political philosophy, but because of her intelligence and her skill her skillful writing. And uh, that's that's what any smart newspaper we're doing. Maybe the Globe is going to get a little smarter in his old age.
Speaker 7: Well, it certainly seems to me that the Globe is getting smarter, and I'm very glad to see Karine to be part of its staff.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks, thank you, Steve. Appreciation it. Okay, let's keep rolling here. Kareen Tom is in West Virginia. Tom, You're next on Nightside, Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, damn, A good program. Tonight. Thank you. You know, I'm overdosed with information that has coming left and right with what's going on with a twenty four hour news cycle. But as far as New York is concerned, I honestly hope this guy wins the Socialist because.
Speaker 5: You're not a socialist. People should know. I know you. You're not a socialist.
Speaker 2: You're a former union member who believes the Democratic Party has strayed very far from its core constituency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and for the record, Dan, my union affiliation of the IBW. I went to the Springfield convention as a delegate in Mission hill Ward ten Precinct three. I was a delegate. Do you know how hard it is to get elected for the first time as a delegate in the state Democratic Party convention. You've got to have six of your friends on a July weekend, Saturday, listen to three hours of nonsense, all right, to sit there and vote for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, but but you have left the Democratic Party as a lot of Yeah, well again, you've given me the history before, so I don't want to waste your time here.
Speaker 9: I just fair.
Speaker 3: Enough, fair enough, no, fair enough. And I was a staunch Democrat in the eighties that party of my youth I'm sixty five now no longer exists. And you know something, these people that want free everything, you know something, Please elect somebody like that. Let's see what happens. And unfortunately, I hate to cut to the chase, but white people in Eastern Europe rejected communism of where everything was free. Back then it failed miserably. Talk to someone from Poland, talk to somebody from Ukraine, Talk to somebody from Russia that's sixty five, and ask him how was life being a comrade under the.
Speaker 5: No question things? Things were free, but the things weren't available.
Speaker 2: I could say, I could say to you, hey, I have you know I could I can tell you I can sell you something for two dollars. But if I don't have a supply to sell you, what, what good is that? That's the I made that point earlier. You and I agree on that. I spend time, not a lot of time, but I spent time in Poland before the curtain fell, and you couldn't find orange juice. The only people who had orange juice. I went ten days over there without orange juice. In my last day there, I asked one of the apparatchiks who was assigned to be Uh. She said, you know, is there anything we can do for you? And I said, yeah, can I get some vitamin C it The only thing they had over there at breakfast was black carrnge juice, which is undrinkable. So anyway, the points you make are very solid, Tom, and I understand your your support of this guy, not philosophically, but you'd like to see him prove to his his contents how in effective his beliefs will be in New York City.
Speaker 5: He wants to give away everything.
Speaker 2: I hope he gives away season tickets to the Yankees, the Mets, the Giants, and the Rangers and the Knicks. You know they I if he's given away give away everything.
Speaker 3: All I can tell you is that the apparatics of the Future are one of the people that work for National Public Radio. Take care of my friend. And I enjoy your column from the Boston Globe.
Speaker 5: I guess the Korean hr Korean.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to go off on this, but I just I look at this and I think to myself, the people, and your column makes it very clear the people who are going to be hurt most.
Speaker 5: By this guy's election.
Speaker 2: If it were to come to be, will be people at the lower end of the the economic ladder.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, and this is what I mean. I used crime for the most part of example throughout the piece as this. You know, it doesn't seem like he wants to beep up the New York Police Department at all, but wants to create sort of this I believe, the Department of Community Safety or something like that. You know, instead of more police on the platforms, you're going to see more social workers or community outreach liaison things like that. Well, the problem is, I mean nothing against expanding mental health support for almost New Yorkers. There's really a need for more services, and it breaks my heart to see how some people are living in the city. But you know, sometimes those encounters do turn violent, and I share some of my own scarier encounters on the subway just in the last year. I mean, I've been genuinely extremely scared a couple of times over the past year. And so I think this is an This is just like a quality of life issue that affects all New Yorkers. But you know, higher crime areas of the city, you're usually looking at lower income people and this hurts them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it certainly does.
Speaker 2: Got to take a very quick break, Korean, and we'll get to a couple of more callers. And I know you have an early day to morrow. I'm so glad that we could get you in here at the nine o'clock hour. I promise you we'll be done at about nine fifty eight. Coming right back on Nightside with Kaarin Hajar the Boston Globe. She is an opinion columnist and also a member of the Globe's editorial board. And I command the Globe for expanding the philosophical viewpoints within their editorial board. And I believe that Karin has had some influence on different policy issues of the glopist wil pind about. We'll be back on Nightside right after these messages.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to the calls here, and we're going to go to Robin Rhode Island, Bob and Rhode Island. Excuse me, Bob, You're next on Nightside with Kareine Hajar of the Boston Globe. And if Bob's not if Rob is if Bob is not ready, we'll go to Susan in did I know I missed the I missed, I missed.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Bob, that's my fault A right ahead, Bob.
Speaker 8: Yeah. First of all, Dan, I don't think you'd ever be employed by the Boston Lobe because you're a Trump person, a Republican.
Speaker 5: You know what it's like.
Speaker 2: You talk to my guest, Great, if you wanted again inaccuracy, you know you're you're somebody. You're amazing to me, Bob, because you are always you know, never in doubt, often mistaken. But but let's talk to the guests. And because i've got another callity.
Speaker 8: Hey, I'm in favor of Bernie Sanders. I'm in favor of this guy great from New York in the primary that just got won the Democratic primary. Great because the moron that's the president.
Speaker 5: Now, okay, again you want to attack Trump.
Speaker 2: We've got plenty of time to attack Trump talking about I have a good night, Bob, take it easy.
Speaker 5: Let's go to Susan. Susan, you're going to get extra time because Bob was a knuckle in. Go ahead, Susan.
Speaker 8: Can high Koreen.
Speaker 5: Susan is one of my best, my best Cambridge liberal callers. Korean.
Speaker 10: Just so you know, go ahead, Susan, Hey, Susan, and waited to see Hey, I kind of waited to see if any New Yorkers work would would call in so and since they haven't been, really I will.
Speaker 8: I used to I lived in New York.
Speaker 5: You'll fill the void.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you once went to a Yankee game, so you're qualified, go ahead.
Speaker 9: I did go to Yankee k So anyways, Uh so I still go down there. Lot, still have a lot of friends there in like teachers, in finance, medical, so kind of a wide range. And I kind of pulled them before, you know that a couple of days before, you know, like who are you voting for? Because I was like, God, I don't know who I would vote for in this situation, you know, and uh, nobody had this guy as their top uh their top person. It's a you know, it's a ranked choice. A couple of them had them, had them down the ballot.
Speaker 2: And when we're getting tied on time, what what's your what's your point? He's established he was a surprise winner.
Speaker 5: Go ahead.
Speaker 9: My point is that people were really upset with the choices. I don't think you can you need to know how much people in New York City despise Cuomo because of what happened between him and de Blasio last time around. They think Adams is corrupt. So a lot of them, you know, settled on land or who actually he's Jewish, but he's also endorsed uh Man Donnie. So but in any event, I think I think it's a question of of just poor choices. And along that line, why are we not discussing that Curtis Leewa yet again ran unopposed for Republicans.
Speaker 5: Well, the Republicans are not a real factor in New York, and.
Speaker 2: Curtis Sleewa is is kind of a side show. I don't even consider him seriously. Seriously, kareein what would you want to respond to what Susan had to say?
Speaker 6: Well, I think you're right, Susan. I mean I heard, I personally from my friends, heard a lot of frustration with the choices as well. And I think that, uh, I think that a lot of folks. I mean, you saw like a lot of young college educated people vote for Mumdanni, a lot of you know, higher he basically got a lot of the white vote, a lot of the Asian vote, some of the Hispanic vote, but not sort of the coalition that you would necessarily expect based on the Working Clouds deal of of what he was putting forward. But it was just it was difficult decisions. I mean, you laid out why the three big names that are well first Quono and Mumdani, but going into this election, Mumdanni and Adams baggage on both sides. So it's going to be really interesting to see how this goes. And I'm curious that you you know, how your friends are going to think about those two choices, right right.
Speaker 2: I suspect Susan's friends are going to probably line up behind Mendami if this Susan's friends who was my friend as well.
Speaker 9: But I think they're far more less than I actually am.
Speaker 10: Dan So, but.
Speaker 9: Just to remind you that wasn't Uh, wasn't Guliani Republican, wasn't uh Bloomberg three terms Republican.
Speaker 2: So they they had a lot of money, Okay, they they both had a edition. Giuliani had name recognition as a US attorney, right, and Bloomberg had a lot of money. And John Lindsay was a Republican. You can go back John Lindsay. But the Republican Party in New York is a shell of what it once was, and it's gonna the choice is not going to be between Adams and Well.
Speaker 9: I think when that happens, that actually has an effect on the Democrats as well. You want a good loyal opposition.
Speaker 2: So I'd like two party I'd like I'd like the two parties in Massachusetts. Susan and I talk about that a lot. You know that. Hey, Susan, I got to run. I'm so glad that that that that I was able to. We should have put Bob in the water, because you just God control himself. God control himself. But you are always a great caller, and I appreciate it very much. Thanks Susan, very weekend. Good night, uh, and Kareem, thank you very much. It's it's going to be a great race.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's going to be really interesting to watch this country swings back and forth and let's see where where it ends up. I've been around long enough to have seen Democrats Republicans at the national level will go back and forth, and maybe New York City is going to go way over to the left, and there will be there will be some people who will pay the price, that's for sure. Koreem as always, thank you very much, thank you for the work you do with the Globe, and say hi to all of my friends the Globe, both of them. Okay, oh kidding, Thanks Green, have a great night. All right, we are done for this hour. Here comes the news and we're going to talk about comments that another Democrat, Congressman, Jake Archincloss, has made today, which I think are pretty insightful. Back on night Side after this